Speaker 1: Come see the caveman.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 1: This sucks. It's one more thing I'm.
Speaker 2: In the What in the world was this one man play you unleashed.
Speaker 1: For the team, a somewhat lighthearted portrayal of what it would be like if scientists actually produced a Neanderthal in the modern world. There are so many scientific and ethical questions connected to this, but one of them would be what kind of life would that being have?
Speaker 2: Can I make it do my laundry and stuff like that?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this sucks again, So we'll get there. We mentioned this during the Ang Show, the radio show, but didn't have time to deal with all of it. This is probably not gonna happen. The same crack pots who claim to clone a dire wolf and a wooly mammoth but just produced like a slightly hairier elephant that was slightly.
Speaker 2: Rt the dire wolf in particular. That was a giant news story that day.
Speaker 1: Everybody reported that, Yeah, yeah, But so these people, in a desperate attempt for more more publicity, are talking about cloning or not cloning, but producing a Neanderthal. If you are not familiar with the history of pre human humans and human human humans during that period, Neanderthals were one of several very closely related sorts of human beings on Earth, and indeed, modern people these days share up to have four percent of their DNA with Neanderthals. I have mentioned that I Joe Getty at one point was in the ninety ninth percentile of modern people in terms of how much Neanderthal DNA I have, which explains my fits of rage and my enormous head really doesn't. As far as we knew, Neanderthals were smart as smart as or smarter than Homo sapiens back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, And as.
Speaker 1: We mentioned, the perception that Neanderthals were just stupid lunkens was one racist scientist a brit right in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: Correct, But yeah, Neanderthals were every bit as smart as Homo sapiens, if not smarter, And it could be a disease that for whatever reason genetically they couldn't and wipe them out and has nothing to do with anything else or who knows.
Speaker 1: What right, and so now they're making noises. The head guy, who was a Harvard researcher a decade ago, he said he was confident in Neanderthal resurrection was a near term possibility. Others have told Live science dot Com that doing so is currently an insurmountably difficult task. But even if we could bring them back, there are many reasons we shouldn't, they argue. Here's one guy from the University of Kansas said, I'm sorry, it's a woman. I've misgendered her now twice while talking about her. That is one of the most unethical things I can possibly think of to attempt.
Speaker 2: Ethical stop unethical.
Speaker 1: So not.
Speaker 2: A practically bad idea, but unethical. Why is it not ethical? Well, first, the technical stuff. You can't just put a Neanderthal genome in a human egg.
Speaker 1: It just wouldn't work. But one issue with the process is potential immune system incompatibility. And just you know, I'm going to jump to the end here. Our point is not discussing whether they're going to unleash Neanderthals in the world. If you have any interest in science, A lot of this stuff is just interesting on its own. So one issue is potential immune system incompatibility, which often dooms cross species pregnancies as the host uterus rejects the fetus.
Speaker 2: I think I'm seeing the unethical part coming produce a like deformed human or somebody an actual human being neanderthalo's opposed to Homo sapien, but a human being that dies very early.
Speaker 1: Right. Oh yeah, yeah, all these experiments have that. Oh that reminds me. I meant to bring this up on the show. But China is now working on gene editing higher IQ into kids. Oh, of course, you develop a smarter, more hearty super soldier.
Speaker 2: It's a race between that and AI for what's gonna do mankind?
Speaker 1: Maybe also maybe they team up.
Speaker 2: You start unleashing all kinds of extraordinarily high IQ human beings into the world. What's your experience with people with super high IQ that they're all just reasonable, wonderful humans that are great at everything in life.
Speaker 1: And happy and relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's still debated, by the way, and I don't know much about this debate. I could click on the link, but who has the time Whether modern humans and neanderthal can be called separate species or not. Anyway, although humans and Neanderthals did successfully interbreed in the past, today there's at most four percent Neanderthal DNA in some human groups, and they think it might not have been beneficial, so it was slowly purged out of the genome through the eons. Anyway, mention this on the show, I found it fascinating. Experts have discovered that humans y chromosomes. That's your you're a fellow chromosome, no matter how you identify, because you gantens your sex. Anyway, the humans y chromosome lacks Neanderthal DNA, and there ought to be tiny bits at least, but it completely lacks it, which may point to a fundamental immune system incompatibility between male Neanderthal fetuses and the female Homo sapiens carrying them, even in the distant past. In other words, Homo sapiens girl gets with hot, hot Neanderthal dude like myself. If they produce a girl, it may well survive. But there's a much much smaller chance that a boy Neanderthal would survive. And obviously, you know through the years, you just a birth rate that fixed and low. Your your genetic material would die out. And they say a genetic variant red blood cells and Neanderthal human hybrid mothers might have resulted in high rates of miscarriage. So those girls produced by the aforementioned for really hot looking Homo sapien girl and the manly manly Neanderthal might not have been able to reproduce successfully in the same numbers.
Speaker 2: Neanderthal has had bigger brains. Your brain takes a ton of your energy in your body, which I didn't realize. And they just couldn't feed themselves is one of the theories. They just couldn't possibly get themselves enough calories every day to feed their big brain.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, I read that the other day. How much of your your energy your metabolized.
Speaker 2: Energy or something.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, right, yeah, yeah, that is crazy. Oh, Papa Bah. Another root would be cloning, but in order to clone one of her extinct cousins, you'd need a live Neanderthal cell. That ain't happening. So with crisper technology, it is possible to modify a human cell genome to make it more similar to Neanderthal. And that's what this business, this guy firm Colossals modify.
Speaker 2: Why why other than to charge people to look at it in a cage. I can't come up with any reason why you would do this.
Speaker 1: Hence my fascinating one man play. Come see the Caveman Boy. This sucks exactly what is the kid just destined for a sideshow, right, Otherwise, what's the point. So with Crisper, it wouldn't be a Neanderthal, it'd be a human with a lot of Neanderthal characteristics.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe what we don't really know. One thing I've learned about from reading Homo Sapiens and then my son is superint evolution stuff for whatever reason, humans and dinosaurs and all that sort of stuff. There's almost nothing that's agreed upon. Practically everything you hear is like a fifteen percent of people believe this. So if you hear you know things, and you if you hear anything about dinosaurs or humans or anything, and you think that's not what I heard, Yeah, it's probably not because there are lots of different theories and are constantly changing.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, So they think in maybe twenty years crisper technology you could probably maybe have a baby with holy neanderthal genome. Yah. Wouldn't that be great? So we can want, says this scientist. But I don't think we will do it, even if it's plausible, for both ethical and legal reasons. Legal de extincting, de extincting.
Speaker 2: You can't give me a ticket. I'm not a human, I'm not a Homo sapien. There's no last Neanderthal's driving this fast? Is that what the legal reasons?
Speaker 1: Wow, that would cause the Supreme Court to dig deep into the law books. Wasn't it, Uh, de extincting Neanderthals is ethically repugnant, experts told Live Science. It's morally abhorrent even conceive of trying to create another kind of human based on DNA using uncertain technologies to which they could not consent. Raff said, Ah, I don't know if I buy that. So they're not even looking into the You're gonna have a whole bunch of deformed kid's awfulness there. They just in general think it's unethical to bring another human species onto the planet.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it is. I don't know if I quite get what's the ethics around that.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, they do get a little bit into these experiments like Dolly the sheep famously, the clone sheep that was after dozens wasn't it of deformed horrible poor creatures that never could survive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, doing that that were still born or born.
Speaker 1: Alive and rapidly died and the rest of it. It took him a lot of hacks to get an actual sheep. But here we go. Even if the Neanderthal embryos could develop into an otherwise healthy Neanderthal, the life they would face once in our world would be unbearably.
Speaker 2: Bleak, like try to get hired.
Speaker 1: Being the only Neanderthal raised in the twenty first century world of humans would likely to be lonely and isolating, possibly like the lives of the last Neanderthals in Europe.
Speaker 2: You don't know that. Chicks might dig it. You might be a rock star.
Speaker 1: This is all seems very speculative to me.
Speaker 2: It might be the thing you're going on all the talk shows. Big guest tonight, the world's only Neanderthal comes out?
Speaker 1: Who what brings you? So the k Man outfit? Ooga ooga booga. Just kidding, Jimmy, it's great to be with you tonight. What an honor this is. I love your work, right.
Speaker 2: Chicks wanting to get with the Neanderthal man on Earth?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? The rumors, would you know, circulate rappity? Oh yeah, like the bat.
Speaker 2: But you know I need I needed a four will drive rugged enough for Minyan with all background you know, endorsing Ford or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Gus, you'd have to, you'd become globally known, so you'd be like a super celebrity and have to more or less hide out with.
Speaker 2: The be the biggest celebrity on planet Earth that planet Earth has probably ever.
Speaker 1: Seen, right right, Yeah, But I mean like the Bill Gates is of the world and the world's biggest movie stars. That's the only people you could hang out with, because you know they're cool around other celebrities. But you got there a gift and Harry by the pool and the say shells with Brad Pitt in a squeeze.
Speaker 2: You got to give him or her a name also, which is be a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but they would they might, you know, choose their own name anyway.
Speaker 2: Well one day. That's that's where you do get into the ethics. Who who does this person belong to? Well, who's the person belonged to? So did they get belong to? Well, that's what I'm getting in it belongs to all of us?
Speaker 1: Well, what an idiotic thing, Saint Michael and it was perfect.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't belong to? Maybe it does belong to all of us. It's mankind. It's like space exploration or something like that. Is it a human start?
Speaker 1: There? Does she have the rights of the fact that you even asked, who would it belong to? Who? Do I belong to? Nobody?
Speaker 2: But you're a homot sapien, This is not so. Does it like dogs belong to individual? Yeah, pet belongs to someone.
Speaker 1: Maybe like America's mascot, basically.
Speaker 2: America's mask. What if he can run really really fast? Does he get to compete for Team USA in the Olympics?
Speaker 1: Oh wow wow? So yeah, this part's really speculative. It would likely be lonely and isolating. They wouldn't have prior generations or peers to learn from. That's that's begging the question. It's it's leaping past. The question is is it just a a different sort of human but so similar that the age almost god? Or would it be more like racial differences between a Han Chinese and a black person from Africa and like a Swede.
Speaker 2: We'd have to choose their name from when they're a little kid, we got to call them something. We can't just say hey to you to the only Neanderthal on earth, and then like at eighteen, do they get to do whatever they want?
Speaker 1: The darker possibility is that we would keep any de extincted Neanderthals in zoos like animals.
Speaker 2: Yes, if they throw the feces at us or anything humans, I'm I'm not going to throw my pieces. You can stand here all day long. I'm not throwing my feces.
Speaker 1: Look, you want me to check my feces, it's going to cost you extra give me right. Humans don't have a good track record over the centuries of treating other people, well, said this ethicist. So I have no confidence that we wouldn't be nasty to Neanderthals. I don't think we would in the United States.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, not China will. Yeah they will. They will breed whatever until they get the strongest, fastest, whatever, and kill off or enslave the other ones.
Speaker 1: Right right, Another ethical problem, and I'm quoting scientists again, a Neanderthal being constructed in this way wouldn't be living in the past. They would be living in the present and in an environment that's neither appropriate nor safe for them. Yeah, probably because we don't know anything about how their genes reacted with their environment.
Speaker 2: From a from a like disease standpoint, I get that, But from a like it's not like they're going to like at the age of ten, say where are the dinosaurs or something like that. They don't have any of the cultural baggage that comes with, right having died out two hundred thousand years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what electric?
Speaker 2: Where are these flying machines?
Speaker 1: That's not the way it would work right, right, And it's not like they could teach you their Neanderthal language. I mean, yeah, is it legal to bring back a neanderthal? While it's wildly unethical, the legality of making one is unclear. According to Greeley, one of the scientists, Now, human embryo editing of this nature is illegal in the US and the EU. It's unlikely that every country in the world has relevant laws on their books.
Speaker 2: Unlikely underpate, Yes.
Speaker 1: No kidding, huh, Yeah, that's proascinating.
Speaker 2: That's a problem with all of this stuff around Crisper, around AI, around everything. We have these conversations for Europe and the United States, doesn't matter at all to North Korea, Russia, China, any of those places. We're to do whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 1: All right, finally, here is your neanderthal quiz. Are you ready? How are we going to do this? Is everybody going to try to answer? Or I'll try all right, or Michael, do you want to take the Neanderthal quiz?
Speaker 2: Who's gonna get with the Neanderthal? What was your saying from earlier in the show.
Speaker 1: Once you go Neanderthal, you never go back at all.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, some chick's gonna want to get with the just you can brag or become like a Kardashian sort of have a sex tape, you know, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, you you you you Homo Sapien slots.
Speaker 2: Neanderthal would make a killing on only fans. Oh yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Watch all right, hang on a second. This thing freaked out on me. I hate when that happens. All right, So I can't do the whole quiz fans? All right, Michael, Okay, where did the name Neanderthal come from? A mountain in Italy, a valley in Germany, a fjord in Sweden, or a desert in Ethiopia. I'm gonna go with Germany. Jav All the Neanderthal valley in Germany.
Speaker 2: That's where they found the first owes.
Speaker 1: Does this have a year, uh, nineteen eighty eight? No, I don't know, No, they don't. Eh.
Speaker 2: Well, so we haven't known this stuff for very long at all though.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And you say there are other species that were probably kicking around. I think they were well known as six.
Speaker 2: Different human beings types of human beings existing on Earth at the same time, which they didn't know up until a few years ago. We remember that, you've seen the poster of you got a monkey, and then the monkey stands up a little straighter, then you got a caveman.
Speaker 1: And the various hilarious variations of that.
Speaker 2: That's the way we believed it happened for a long time, but it didn't happen anything like that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So no Neanderthal zoos anytime soon. That's disappointing.
Speaker 2: That'd be weird to go look at a human being in a cage.
Speaker 1: Look at that so much? Have it looking back at you? What do you look it at?
Speaker 2: He's just flipping everybody off.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's grim. This sounds sounds like a heartbreakingly sad science fiction movie.
Speaker 2: Yes it does.
Speaker 1: Or who's a hilarious comedy.
Speaker 2: Who's it belonged to is a real question?
Speaker 1: And Sino Man starring poly Shore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's my idea.
Speaker 1: Put him in the NBA as like maybe a backup center and you can get in during garbage time and entertain the fans. What the hell, Well, I guess that's it.