Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. It's good to have back with us, Edmund Reese, executive vice president and CFO of the nearly seventy eight billion dollar marketcap professional services, advisory and insurance brokerage company. Stock up a little over two and a half percent year to date, down about five percent since reporting those earnings yesterday, and good to be back on the program. The company and the team always a good read on how the business world is feeling about the current environment when it comes to things like risks, climate, governance issues, M and A and more. Where do you think the biggest opportunity for growth is for a.
Speaker 2: On Well, First, well, Tim Carroll, thanks for having me back here. The biggest opportunity for growth is actually what we just saw over the past two years in our three year strategy and what we just saw in this most recent quarter with strong results. Complexity across the risk that our clients are facing is the biggest biggest issue we're discussing with them. That's the political violence and war exposures in the Middle East. That's the hyperscaler's access to additional capacity for the AI infrastructure builds, that's working with our clients on large scale defense projects. All of these things are coming together and intermingled on the minds of our clients, and we are providing solutions to help them with that as we give them access to our data, help them understand their risk and then match it with capitals. And that's where we actually saw when you look at those lines in our P and L and on our income statement, that's where you saw the growth.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be crass here, but in other words, is geopolitical uncertainty?
Speaker 2: Is war?
Speaker 1: Is instability good for your business?
Speaker 2: Well, it creates complexity for our clients and helping our and that drives demand for us, and that is good for our clients and good for our shareholders as well. If you think about that geopolitical violence, you have not just the assets themselves, the ships, the cargo, but you also have supply chain risk. You have the political violence and terrorism. Those things create demand because clients want to protect their assets and they still want to be able to invest and grow and know how to do that. We give insight and of course that drives drives more demand for our products and helps us with the growth.
Speaker 3: All right, I want to cut to the chase with you, how freaked out is the corporate community because there's a lot and you know coming at them. You know, this war that just you know, peace talks, not peace talks, more attacks. There's that, there's the higher costs of maybe doing things in your back yard in terms of production, energy cost, there's just a lot. So how freaked out is kind of the corporate community? In your view?
Speaker 2: Risk has been rising, Risk has been rising, and the intermingledness of that risk, all of them connected, is creating more angst, more volatility in the p and ls and in the balance sheets of our clients. And when these things come together, there is anks. But they still want to invest, they still want to grow, and so we have been investing. We've been investing in capabilities to do what I was saying, helping them understand their exposure, helping them connect that data to their assets and understand how it impacts their balance sheets. And then of course bringing in not just the traditional capital in our industry from insurance carriers, but from other players as well, so that our clients can still continue to grow, and of course that help helps our growth as well.
Speaker 1: Is there enough, you know, if we're talking about the data center, part of this conversation and the opportunity there is there actually enough insurance capacity for all the demand that we're seeing with AI data centers.
Speaker 2: Tim If you think about it, these data center sites, some of the clients that you'll be talking to later today and actually talked about at the beginning of your program, they're coming on a twenty billion, forty billion, fifty billion per site. The insurance industry traditionally is about a five trillion dollar industry across all property, across all casualty, across health and wealth as well, and so when you bring on data centers that are of this size, it's not sufficient capital from traditional insurance. So we've been talking for quite some time. For the industry to stay relevant, we are going to need to have access to what we've sized as a two hundred and fifty trillion opportunity. We just need a small slice of that expand the addressable market that's going to come from institutional investors, that's going to come from private equity, sovereign wealth funds, and the only way that they will enter is if we can provide the data. Just like we began this cat catastrophe bond market, which is growing at a team rate and we're over half of it. We're seeing it with our treaty products aggregating risk from insurance, and we're going to have to do the same thing for data centers here, or you're going to see companies have it on their own balance sheets or go out and look the fun debt for it. But we think we certainly have interests as asset managers want assets with uncorrelated return. We are giving them the data to help them see that they can get attractive yields off of that, and we do think that we'll continue to be relevant. Is this extensive build increasing investment in data centers continues over the next few years.
Speaker 3: So, as you guys know IA, you have all described in the past the data centers as a ten billion dollar premium opportunity. Is this still a reasonable amount? Has the company's view changed on it? Is it less? Is it small? Numbers matter?
Speaker 2: When we gave that estimate, the spend in twenty twenty six was less than the eight hundred billion that is estimated to be today. The infrastructure spend over the next three years will be at least two trillion, And when you think about the ongoing operations of that some estimates have it the tighest five to seven trillion, so it's only increased since then. The question is are we going to be able back to Tim's question of getting the sufficient capital in to be able to ensure and manage the risk associated with it. So we're very bullish that that's going to be an opportunity, a tailwind for our growth as we move forward. And we have been making the investments on the capabilities using our data because we are, you know, one of the largest players in the industry to give the insights to these asset managers.
Speaker 3: All Right, maybe a silly question, but I'm thinking somebody at home might be listening or watching and wondering when we talk about enough insurance capacity for AI data centered demand, what exactly are we talking about? What is that insurance capacity?
Speaker 2: Well, if you have a I mean think about your home, you know, a million, just.
Speaker 3: Protecting the data center, is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Well, it's protecting the data center, the build of it, is protecting the operations of it, if weather comes in, cyber has an impact on it, the general liability. So it's we actually have something that we call the data center life cycle program, not just to build the physical facilities itself, but the ongoing operations and all the risk that it would face. You measure risk here with data centers. Our CEO likes to say, you measure it in millions per minute in terms of operations. So imagine the risk associated with that, and you can ensure that and will help match that risk with the right capital.
Speaker 1: You know, we're actually seeing a headline that's related to this crossing the Bloomberg Terminal right now. Deep Seek is developing a massive artificial intelligence data center and Inner Mongolia. According to people familiar with the matter, tad one gigawatt worth of compute, the company aims to build its own facility while leasing additional capacity from other companies. It's pushing to bring at least part of its data center's capacity online by the end of next year or early twenty twenty eight. Edmund, we're speaking with Edmund recfo of aon We're talking data centers. We're talking insurance and the insurance market for data centers. What do you think when you see a headline like this, Deep Zinc developed Deep Seek developing this massive AI data center in Inner Mongolia.
Speaker 2: As you were reading it, there were three things that were going across my mind. One is the construction, Two is the energy associated with it, another area that is high growth for us that you'll need to support this data center. And the third thing is the engineering and expertise that we have and understanding not building that in a concentrated location, but dispersing the risk and giving insight on that. So that is a company that could definitely benefit from the insights that we provide from the data. Here is they pursue what is going to be a massive investment and ensure that they get the returns that they want on it.
Speaker 3: Well, let me just go there. Then are you working with deep Seek? Are you working with Amazon, Meta? Microsoft? You smile for those who are listening, are you.
Speaker 2: All smile and say that we are You know, we given what we have, we have strong relationshipships across the hyperscalers. I of course can't talk about any specific company here, but increasingly the expertise and the engineering advice. I think I mentioned on this program before that even before the large data center boom here, we had advised on number thirty percent of the data center builds in the US, which is much larger than any other country. You have to go to China and Germany before you start to see the next one. We have high market share there as well. So imagine all the engineering expertise that we have understanding where to put the sites, how to build them, how to ensure them themselves. And so with that expertise, I think it drives more demand for us, and we are in fact working with many of the large hyperscalers that you talk about on the show.
Speaker 3: Just real quickly. Any signs that this stuff is slowing down, because this is the big question or one of the big questions. Any signs that you're like, oh this, you know, insurance capacity for a data centered dement it's going to slow down. Any signs of that, Carol.
Speaker 2: The last five quarters, I got on our earnings call and said that we had double digit growth and construction, which is where this shows up, including this quarter here. Now that is you know, it's not where we drive growth broad based through many different product lines, so we're not overweighted to this, but it has been a strong contributor for us, and we see it to be a tailwind as we move forward.
Speaker 3: Here. We just want more time. I'll come back come back soon. Thank you so much. Always, always appreciated for having me again. Yeah, be well Edmund Reee, Executive Vice president cfo of A on joining us right here in New York City.