Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a brand new edition of NFL Power Rankings. Mike Am and Eric at home with you.
Speaker 3: If you want a.
Speaker 2: Complete list of all thirty two teams and analysis, all you have to do is check out NFL dot com.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 2: I thought one of the more fascinating ideas from your recent post is how margin of victory really plays a factor. Apparently for you one score games, that is a major factor in determining the rankings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. The idea being, Look, if you're in a lot of close games and you know, sort of lose more than you normally would win your overall win percentage, maybe you're a better team than your record indicates. Likewise, if you're winning all in one score games like the Chiefs ten and oh this season, perhaps it's indicative that you're overachieving a little bit. So I tried to use that to kind of separate what I think is really the cream of the crop, my top eight. Those are the groups the teams that I think are most prepared to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Right now, all right, you mentioned the top eight.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the rankings right now, and the number number one team still the Detroit Lions, and no reason to drop him considering how they're winning some of these ball games. At number two, it's the Eagles, nine straight wins and somehow of what an upset to Carolina. We'll see if that's a red flag for Eric coming up in just a minute. The Chiefs at number three, a dooink and another one possession win, four six total touchdowns for Josh Allen and the Bills, but a close loss to the Rams. The Vikings, Darnold, how about leading this team eleven to two for the first time since two thousand and nine. The Steelers are six, the Packers at seven, and the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Are at number eight.
Speaker 2: The team that starts the show is the Detroit Lions, number one.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I love how Dan Campbell sometimes roll the dice here and they'll go for it on fourth down. The fact that they were able to score two touchdowns on a fourth down I absolutely love to me, Eric, there's a reason why you have them as the number one team. They're showing they.
Speaker 4: Are absolutely Mike. And you know, some people will say, hey, they won by a field goal. Here, they won by a field goal on Thanksgiving. What's the difference? I felt like this was a a better opponent and be just a better game. You know, they're decimated on defense, They're hanging in there as best they can on that side of the ball. We know what the offense can do even when the run game isn't flourishing. I mean, they have ways to beat you, so many different directions they can go. But also a big night on special teams too. So it really kind of emphasized not only the three phase element of this team, so well built from top to bottom, but also that aggressiveness. It cost them once on four down, but they were successful four times, and that's just the formula for a champion. They're built to with stand one of those misses because the earlier hits really kind of saved them.
Speaker 2: You Know, on this show last week, I had made reference to the fact that the Eagles scored this huge win against the Baltimore Ravens. I'm hedging, Hay, are they better than the Lions or the Lions better than the Eagles? And this week in the rankings you have Philadelphia sending at number two. Now, all of a sudden, they're coming off a win a little close though against the Carolina Panthers squad. Some comments and some chatter about a lack of explosive passes.
Speaker 3: In this team's offense. Is there a red flag?
Speaker 2: Should we be concerned about what we're seeing on the field, especially early in games? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Had I known kind of the backstory of the whole AJ Brown, Jalen Hurts, tenshit if you will, I might not have moved them up a spot this week. They still belong in that top tier in the NFL, I believe until further notice, Like you said, till recently, we were talking about them as truly one of the elite teams, maybe even better than the Lions in summer guards. But yeah, there still is this hurdle they seemingly have to get over every single week where the first quarter they've been outscored I think something like fifty nine to seventeen, and they outscored their opponents by one hundred and fifty points the last three quarters. But for whatever reason, the slow starts have been a problem. AJ Brown only had four targets last week. That's got to get better. Is there a rift there between Hurts and Brown? Are they tight? Can they make this thing work?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 4: Does scare it because you know all the drama that existed in that locker room a year ago. But I still think, until proven otherwise, they belong near the top.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, this defense is bawling for as much as we want to try out, say Kwon Barkley, who could be the MVP this year, In fact, he's on the shortlist right one of three guys at least in my mind that should win that award this season. The Achilles heel last year was they couldn't stop people, especially that secondary that is flipped in a meaningful way.
Speaker 3: Eagles.
Speaker 2: I think you have them right where they should be at the number two spot, and I'm ready for some hate from Kansas City fans, who you have number three? Another one possession win.
Speaker 3: I get it. The Doink It happens when you're a good team. Eric.
Speaker 2: It feels like, no matter what the circumstances are, the ball is always going to go your way.
Speaker 4: I would love to just be able to have this kind of luck one day in my life. I do think there was less luck in this one. I understand the doink field goal, but I felt like the Chiefs at least controlled the script of this game. Better than they have in the past. Let's say the Panthers game or the Broncos or Raiders games. They made the stop on defense, put it back in Patrick Mahomes' hands. He made some magic, He moved them down the field. They intentionally ran the clock down to take that kick, you know, backup kickers. So obviously the kick itself got a little scrutiny. But you know, this team knows how to win games. They have a formula. They've been in these situations so many times. That's why they're ten to zero in these situations. And yeah, just for a little extra drama, right, they hadn't really done it to this point in the game, and they finish it off again again. I don't know when this runs out. I don't know if this is a sign that they can beat virtually anybody in a schematic battle, or if they're just gonna stop turning over aces every single time they're at the table. You know, it's gonna be fascinating. But last year proved that they can still do pretty well in the playoffs after a lot of close shapes in the regular season.
Speaker 2: By the way, we'll talk Chargers here in just a moment. I they deserve some flowers as well. More specifically, maybe justin Herbert because they're lacking some playmakers and knocking on the door here. I mean, that was an impressive run in the second half from a Los Angeles perspective. By the way, Miles Garrett, this team has been the Chiefs that is susceptible to giving up some sacks to Patrick Maha Holmes Miles Garrett awaiting them this coming week the bails awesome game shootout. Here we go Josh Allen trying to cement himself as an MVP.
Speaker 3: You did drop him a couple spots here. I hate to say it.
Speaker 2: I almost felt like I thought the Rams are gonna win this game cross country for Buffalo Bill's Mafia. I came into the studio super early on Sunday morning for our pregame show. You saw some of Bill's Mafia already showing up. It's a good win for the Rams. How much concern do you have against about this Buffalo team to lose a shootout on the road like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I suppose there's a certain irony about an MVP candidate Nolan helping his cause in a loss more than he maybe has in a lot of wins this year. But you know, the Buffalo defense did concern me. Allen was great. He did everything possible, you know, to dig them out of that hole. Obviously, his receivers did a lot of work after the catch too, got to give them credit. But Allen as a runner and as a passer was absolutely tremendous. And look, nobody's denying it. He's good to be the reason whether they win a super Bowl or don't win a super Bowl this year, you know, such an important piece of what they do and such a tough piece to stop. That said, if the defense isn't doing its job, we've got problems. And more often than not, they've done their job this year. But you know, in a precision passer fifteen or eleven to fifteen on third downs, I mean, Matthew Stafford was carving them up, and that is a concern for me. But this, like you said, I think this game probably meant more to the Rams than it did to the Bills. And so, you know, two spots seems like a lot I still have near the top, and I think they can even be a number one team by the end of the regular season.
Speaker 2: Only thing, and I'd love to get your take very quickly on this. The Bills on the road. People are talking about, hey, do they need home field advantage in the postseason. I would contend that they do, even though some others might say no. At Houston, at Baltimore, at the Rams. They're losing some road games against good teams. We'll get a good test against obviously the Lions because that's road game this coming week. But I think there's some pressure here on Josh Allen and this team to try to do their best year. It's a little out of their hands because the Kansas City's run, But I think Buffalo needs home field.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Obviously it does hurt them the loss from that standpoint, and Kansas City does have that big lead at this point, even with the Buffalo winning the head to head game, so got to keep trying. Got to see if you can steal it from them down the stretch.
Speaker 2: I love that you have the Vikings at number five. Are they the team that we talked the least amount that we should be talking way more about?
Speaker 4: Their record suggests so, doesn't it. I mean, look eleven and two, you can't really argue with what they've done on the field. Kind of like we're talking about with the Chiefs, or maybe it's memories of two years ago the twenty twenty two Vikings who went thirteen and four but had a negative point differential. I think this team has been more impressive in how it's won games. Yes, there have been some close ones. Chicago a few weeks back obviously got a little bit lucky. There some other games too that got away from them earlier in this season, like the Lions game. But still, the way Sam Darnold is playing now, I think the narrative has changed him. It's no longer can they win with him? It's is this guy even a dark horse MVP candidate this point? Top five in passing yards, passing touchdowns, has really been on a heater lately. Done the job. I few hiccups early in the season, but I don't have as many doubts now. And boy, do the Vikings just let him walk in the offseason. I guess that's a discussion for down the road. But he's playing at a super high level on that Vikings defense did enough against Kirk Cousins old friend there in Minnesota to get the win.
Speaker 2: Six straight wins for this team after suffering back to back losses where we started to doubt and say.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, this is the team that we expected. Well, guess what. They continue to win some of these games.
Speaker 2: Donald five passing touchdowns in the win against Atlanta and you start thinking, didn't they draft a quarterback? And JJ McCarthy, You're right, there's gonna be some interesting decisions that organization is going to have to make with regard to him. Vikings certainly a team worthy of conversation. Steelers also in the mix style of play from Mike Tomlins squad Eric does that make them arguably the most dangerous team in the AFC because of how they play?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I keep getting these questions. I go on radio shows, Mike and people say, you know, are the Steelers a legit Super Bowl contender? And I feel like it's a bit of an odd question. My answer is always why the heck not? Right? I mean, they've got an outstanding defense. You know, a couple of defensive Player of the Year award candidates in TJ. Watt and Cameron Hayward. He's having an amazing season almost thirty six years old. So you know what they do on that side of the ball, They're going to take care of business. More often than not. The offense has shown signs that they can cook on their best days, maybe a little hot and cold at times. Special teams have been outstanding. Chris Boswell and the rest of that unit has been terrific this season. So another kind of three phase operation that I think, you know, makes it tough on people. Yeah, they lost at home to Dallas. Yes, they've had other hiccups this season that maybe, you know, cast some negative light on them. But I also feel like, you know, they could beat the Ravens head to head, they could beat some tough teams. They could take away some of your best weapons. So you know, we saw it again on Sunday and you know they're cooking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I would want to match up against them. They remind me a little bit of the Chargers because of what they do defensively, but they got better pieces of the offensive side right now than Justin Herbert is working with on that roster. But speaking of the Chargers, we just suck you through those Tier one teams. The Chargers, the Rams, the Bucks, the Seahawks all come to mind as tier two squads.
Speaker 3: What about their.
Speaker 2: Postseason hopes and what they can do once they get to the playoffs. Answer, it's coming up next on power rankings. Back here on power rankings, Mike, am and Eric at home with you. Teams nine through sixteen. The Chargers sitting in the ninth spot, almost to win in Kansas City. Team's coming off of a bye, Broncos, Commanders, and Texans they're ten, eleven and twelve. At thirteen, it's the Seahawks they're four and oh since thereby, how about the Buccaneers at fourteen a win at first place in the NFC South.
Speaker 3: The Rams scored that important.
Speaker 2: Win at home against the Bills, and at sixteen the Cardinals now spiraling out of control.
Speaker 3: Let's focus in on this Chargers team at number nine. I kind of wanted to.
Speaker 2: It's not that I was rooting for or against the team, but there's a part of me that wanted them to win, to show people like, hey, we can score win against a winning ball club. It was going to be a tough task. A lot of inter concerns, especially at the playmaker spot. We didn't seelat mcconkeye out there. That obviously was an issue. Well, Disley gets banged up in that game. I'm still giving them some respect for an almost win against the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Absolutely fall behind against the Chiefs and narrowhead. I don't care what kind of season they're having or how many close games they're playing, that's a tough environment to deal with. They lost a close one earlier in the season to the Chiefs. They know how that one played out. But they really got things going after a certain point, especially without a major run game early. I mean, they found ways to move the ball down the field. At back, Quinton Johnston had a really nice game. You know, we've seen some inconsistencies from him, but Joshua Palmer stepping up stone smart. How about him? He looked like a pretty good looking tight end there after some injuries at the position. So again, I mean, they've been hurt by losing guys offensively, defensively giving up big pass plays. But they held tight in this game, and we're just a few plays short. Like you said, they still need that kind of big signature win to sort of prove they belong in that upper tier. That's why they sit just outside of my top eight right now.
Speaker 2: Eleven consecutive games now for Justin Herbert without the interception, to me, certainly one of the more impressive quarterbacks, and once again, I just look around that feel when I see them play, I go, where's the playmaker here? Like, who's the difference maker on this team's offense? And they don't have it just yet. I say that to say good things are to come here for Harbaugh's squad over the next couple seasons or so. Closer look at the team's favored to go and win the NFC West. The Seahawks not a surprise here sitting at the top, the Rams just behind them, the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's going on with.
Speaker 2: This squad and the San Francisco forty nine ers not sticking a fork in them just yet. Coming off of a win, a dominant win against the Bears. All right, number three team, it is the Seahawks. They're winning games. I think I started to doubt them a little bit. I know they came off to a fast start, then they started to lose. It's like a team of streaks and runs. But because of what the division is right now, Eric, can't you just make the claim like they're the team to be at this point.
Speaker 4: They're in the pole position right now. The Rams will obviously have something to say about it. You know, maybe the forty nine ers or Cardinals can kind of rediscover their previous form. Forty nine ers look pretty good Sunday, but still, I mean, right now, the way things are lined up, they're in a terrific position to claim this division of Mike McDonald's first year, which you know, after the three and zero start, okay, it made some sense, but after they lost that slew of games there and really put themselves behind the eight ball, you weren't too sure Sunday. No, Kenneth Walkers, Zach Sharbonney steps up in a big way. Gino Smith's you know, interceptions, we're getting out of control at one point. He's now had a couple of games where he's really taken care of the ball. The defense has done its job. So this has been a total team effort. Mike, and I really like what I'm seeing more of kind of what we saw were in this and against an earlier easier schedule, I should say, and less with the struggles that they really endured through the kind of the second quarter of the season, if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to say it's a prove it week, but I think I'd have less doubts if they can win on Sunday Night football against Green Bay. I don't have something in my mind that says, hey, is this totally believable right now with the.
Speaker 3: Seahawks still hold Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's just the state of the division, to be honest with you, because it hasn't been and it just hasn't been fun to watch at times. We'll talk about the Rams in just a moment, but at fourteen, it is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Don't look now, it doesn't matter if there's injuries, it doesn't matter if there's losses. They figure out a way to try to get that pole position as you just described in that division. Look at the rest of the teams that are there, and I say this is theirs to take right now because of Baker Mayfield and maybe they're getting a little bit healthier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and because of what Atlanta's doing too. We can't ignore that fact they were six and three with a season sweep over the box that look like Atlanta's division. Tampa has come in and kind of claim this thing a little bit, and you know, Baker Mayfield, you do have to kind of ride the ups and downs a little bit. Had two kind of strange interceptions, one right in front of his face, and you know, it sort of put them in a little bit of a tough spot. But this was the Raiders. They did take care of business. They did find a groove. Jalen McMillan scored twice, his first touchdown since week one, so that was a pretty good sign, and they put them away late. So you know, kind of like what you were saying a little bit. With the Seahawks, there's something that just sort of holds me back, but there is a really good competitive spirit. And now they have their Hall of Fame receiver back, Mike Evans Mayfield. They've got a chance, they really do, and they're looking good for home playoff game as the NFC South potential Division champs. At this point, I.
Speaker 2: Like that phrase competitive spirit because we're trying to figure out why I'm still kind of on the bandwagon, and I think you hit the nail on the head because even one day's Godwin and Evans, that goes down Bakers and I know they lost some of those games, but they're staying in it. There is something about that Baker effect that has me believing just this much that when or if they get to the postseason, and they can potentially come up with a knocking out one of these other squads, the Rams. I've been high on this team for most of the season. Coming into the year, I thought they had as good of a chance to win the division as any injury issues, massive injury issues. For the first half of the season, They're hanging tough here. Big win against Buffalo. Does that win change your perception about them being the team to beat in the West.
Speaker 4: It certainly does a little bit, right, if you could have that explosive a game, probably one of the best offensive performances in the Sean McVay era, right, if you consider the opponent, the circumstances, the gotta have at nature. But they have their guys back. I mean, Puka Nakua looks like he did last year when he dominates a rookie. Cooper Cup looks like sort of the pre injury version form of him. A great counterpiece Kiroen Williams running the football, and yeah, Matthew Stafford he's pretty good too, right. The third down conversion rate was unbelievable on Sunday, Really, Dice that defense took some risks on fourth down too, had to make up for their own defense too, though, Mike. I mean, if we're going to talk about Buffalo give it up yards, we certainly got to do the same for the Rams, and that young d line is up against it. But they put in a lot of energy up front to try to make people work for their points.
Speaker 2: I knew Puka was having a big game, but check this out. First player in NFL history with at least twelve receptions, one hundred and fifty receiving yards, one receiving touchdown, and one rushing touchdown. The guy is bunkers out on the football field. I want to see him in the postseason just because I want to see what he can do against some of the best defensives in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Niners, they win Cincinnati, they win two. Are we saying there's still a chance? The ANSWER's next on Power Rankings?
Speaker 3: Back here on Power Rankings, Team seventeen through twenty four. The Niners. I don't know how to explain it. They're sitting at seventeen and they get a big win over the Bears. They were dominant in that game. The Colt set eighteen. The Dolphins a thriller over the Jets in.
Speaker 2: The nineteenth position at twenty What is going on with the Atlanta Falcons at twenty one? Nice win for them on Monday Night football against the Dallas Cowboys who are twenty two. Derek Carr fractured non throwing hand. That's a problem for the Saints who are twenty three and the Bears at twenty four, So the Niners are up three spots.
Speaker 3: Should I say there's a chance form eric on the postseason? The division? It feels like it's still wan to open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the mathematicians in the back of room are telling me there is a chance there is a path. I haven't yet found out how that's gonna work, but if they play like they did on Sunday, especially in the first half against the Bears, they can beat almost anybody down the stretch, So we'll see. I mean, it was the best half of football I think they've had on both sides of the ball combined in the first half. Eased off a little in the second half, but totally dominant performance. And it's just sort of a reminder disappointment of like, this is the team we expected this year, Mike, we just haven't seen enough of this group, even as banged up as they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just real buzzkill to watch the way the season was unfolded, and once again a lot of because of injuries.
Speaker 3: Making of injuries.
Speaker 2: I think the Dolphins would this would be a much different conversation. Had to have been healthy the entire season. He's balling right now, and they sunk the Jets chances of making into the postseason and officially eliminated them. It's a tough game against the Houston Texas, I think important for.
Speaker 3: Both of these teams.
Speaker 4: I agree, Yeah, I was not all that impressed with the Dolphins, at least early on. I feel like you can't show much energy against the Jets, and I understand it's a team that's having a bad season, but you know, it took him a while to get going. They were just sort of keeping pace with him before finally pulling ahead and overtime there you know, John hu Smith no catches in regulation and then becomes it overtime hero. But they got it done. They have the firepower. You know on certain days their defense can be great. But you're right, this is this next game obviously probably means more for Houston given where they're at, but you know, it's existential for Miami. They lose, they're pretty much done and even as things stand, they're not looking great as far as the playoffs go right now, so it need a lot of work to get done.
Speaker 2: They really need this game against Houston, and by the way, the Texans, I have some serious questions. I don't want to say it's gettable, but the Dolphins have an opportunity to win this football game the Falcons. Please explain to me what the heck is going on right now for Raheem Worris the squad. It's four straight losses and I'm thinking to myself, you drafted Michael Pennocks at this point, maybe we kind of have to go to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I can understand not making that move. Prior to last week. Kirk Cousins has returned to Minnesota. You know, it's a good veteran defense. You don't want to necessarily throw Penis in that spot and also deny Cousins of that opportunity. And early on there were some decent connections, some drives that looked like they were pretty promising, but the two interceptions. Now a four game total, zero touchdowns, eight picks. You can't have this kind of performance on offense and expect to keep your job. Penick's waiting the wings that they make that call. Ugh, I don't know. I think they're getting desperate and they might have to. They're below fifty percent to make the playoffs right now.
Speaker 3: It might be the time and they were in the driver's seat in this division.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why there's some pressure right now because it's not like the Bucks are you know, the Kansas City Chiefs right like, there's still an opportunity here, especially with some of these head to heads. Cincinnati, they win all their games for the rest of the season, that puts them at nine.
Speaker 3: That's not enough, right.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Yeah, obviously it was a dramatic way. They finally got it down on Monday night in crazy fashion. I think that that block punt recovery was probably the luckiest play they've had all season in a year of bad turns. But yeah, it's going to take a lot more, and I think they've kind of made their own bed this season with all the close losses and everything else that kind of fell apart. They're a talented team, they just haven't had a show enough this season, and it's gonna cost them.
Speaker 3: It is in a big way.
Speaker 2: As we look at the rest of the teams in the NFL at twenty five, it is the Browns twenty six.
Speaker 3: You know, we keep loving up Bryce Young and I get it.
Speaker 2: The Jets officially eliminated at twenty seven, and then the rest of the way, it's the Patriots, the Jags, the Titans, the Raiders, and the New York Giants sitting at thirty two. Ni g men, gotta be kidding me here. Yeah, it's been that type of season for him. By the way, not to throw shade on another team in the Tri state area in New York City, but the Jets, considering me in the expectation level, being eliminated kind of a buzzkill. Like there's some real questions heading into the offseason for this.
Speaker 4: Team, such as who's going to be the coach, who's going to be the quarterback? You know, I mean, what else? What else are the big change is going to be? You heard Garrett Wilson really kind of you know, uncork the frustration if you will, after the game and just say, if you haven't watched us, you know, since preseason, would you think this was a surprise the way this game went. It's been the same way almost every single week, self inflicted mistakes left and right. Can't do and expect to win games. He understands that.
Speaker 3: God, imagine what this was supposed to be two years ago.
Speaker 4: It doesn't work out that all the time.
Speaker 3: Ericare the best man.
Speaker 2: I always appreciate everyone watching and listening to NFL Power Rankings.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.