Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartMedia, iHeartRadio, I Heart Podcast. I am joined by Suzanne French, Amy Sugarman, Tara, and Danielle are indisposed have prior commitments. They are unable to join us this time. Pop Culture Season seven, episode fourteen, Farewell my pet, Let's go Paris.
Speaker 2: Culture stands out. I'm interested to see what's what's here because I don't have any real like, oh, the pop culture in this episode, so we shall see the look. The pop culture is not as good in season seven. It's just not it's not seamlessly worked in.
Speaker 1: I was trying to make it sound interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh, give it a go, give it a go. I mean, it's still interesting facts to hear about. I might venture to say our podcast about the pop culture might be more interesting than the actual pop culture, like how it's worked in.
Speaker 1: But it depends on what we say. Yeah, okay. Paris gives Rory a copy of the lecture notes, but blacks out her own insights that were on the page. Paris don't give me that. Look, if there's one thing I learned in that first lecture is that there's not room for many women at the top ry. Gloria Steinem would be so proud Paris. Whatever the facts speak for themselves. Nadine Strossen Strassen is the head of the ACLU, not Nadine Strassen and her very best friend. Gloria Steinum is a journalist and a political social political activist who emerged as a nationally recognized leader of second wave feminism in the United States in the sixties and seventy. Nadine Straussen is a legal scholar and civil liberties activists who serve as the president of the a c LU, which is the American Civil Liberties Union. Needs and for me to say, from ninety one to two thousand and eight, did you know Nadine's mother prevented her from playing with dolls?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She later suggested that experience contributed to her choice to not have children.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Rory expressed to oh, who wants to take this?
Speaker 2: One expresses to Paris how great Logan has been to her, And Paris tells.
Speaker 1: Her and that was so sad for Nadine.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, yeah, that was I kind of agree, Well, what.
Speaker 1: A joy kill that sentence was. Jeez. Anyway, go ahead, mussels Paris.
Speaker 2: How great Logan has been to her, and Paris tells her she never thought it would last. Paris says, I want to hang on.
Speaker 1: I want to go back and read this.
Speaker 2: You want to go back to Gloria Steinem and her friend.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I just want to read the sentence again to see if it has the same effect.
Speaker 2: Like I thought it was sad that she never got to play with dolls.
Speaker 1: No, it's not like I'm trying to erase something we're just.
Speaker 2: Talking about from playing with dolls. And she says that contributed to her choice to not have children.
Speaker 1: It's like, what a downer. I mean, I think and complicated.
Speaker 2: I think we'd have to spend a lot of time with Nadine and her therapist's office to really get there.
Speaker 1: They want to talk to that's yeah, Gloria was on.
Speaker 2: Gloria is doing fine. Yeah, okay, let's go back to this. So Paris says, I'm just being honest. I mean, Logan Huntsburger between the women and the drinking. The kid was on the Colin Farrel Freeway.
Speaker 1: Great line, I'm about to pull over.
Speaker 3: Into the rock.
Speaker 2: Colne Ferrell is an Irish actor who made his breakthrough in Steven Spielberg's film Minority Report. He's battled alcohol and drug addiction throughout his life, although he's like kind of awesome. Also, I love Colin Ferrell.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's terrific. He's a terrific act.
Speaker 2: Robert Downey Junior is an actor who found success in the eighties because he loves zero, but during the nineties had a period of drug related problems and run ins with the law. Remember he's on Ali McBeal and then all of a sudden it was like, oh no, he is now an Oscar winner for his role in Oppenheimer. I mean he's also iron man like. Robert Downey Junior is kind of an awesome example of like, you know, young actor, sort of brad Pack adjacent. Maybe he was in The brat Pack. I don't know, Sorry, Andrew McCarthy, but the brat Pack movie was not that good. Sorry I didn't watch it yet. I'd like you to watch it and see if it's as boring to you as it was to me.
Speaker 1: Is it out now or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on Hulu. And it's it's boring. I don't want to be mean because I literally love Andrew McCarthy, but it's just boring and like half the people aren't in it. So I'm like, I'm sorry that you couldn't get them, but like, we don't need to do this until we can get them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, Molly Ringwold opted out.
Speaker 2: And same with Judd Nelson, and it's like, oh, like's not it's not good. It's not good.
Speaker 1: It's boring.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Andrew, I love Mannequin anyway. Robert Donney here, Oh, I had said that already, but like Robert Daddy Jr. Way to turn it around. And I think he kind of gives a lot of credit to that lovely wife he has. Well, did you know well traveling in Sydney at the age of eighteen, Colin became a suspect in an attempted murder case. And I did know this from like two truths in a lie or something on Jimmy Fallon. The police sketch looks similar to him, and he had even described blacking out fight question and the only alibi was a journal kept by his friend which explained the two had been taking MDMA, which has some sort of drug. I don't know if that is on the other side of town that night.
Speaker 1: My lord, my lord, Wow, that was scary.
Speaker 2: That was a great line. That was a great line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 4: Michelle is going over Chinchin's funeral arrangements with Laura l and Suki, and he says, let's discuss the programs. Laura Lai says the programs. Suki says, you want programs, and then Michelle says, do you think When the Princess of Wales was in turred at Althorpe, the Spencer family was asked whether or not they wanted programs. Princess Diana tragically passed away in August nineteen ninety seven, where she is buried at the grounds of her childhood home at Althorpe Estate. I can't believe it's been that long already. Did you know that Prince Charles dated her older sister Sarah first Sarah introduced the two of them.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Is that is correct?
Speaker 3: That is correct?
Speaker 2: I watched The Crown.
Speaker 4: How did I not remember that?
Speaker 1: That was a very explicit That was a very explicit couple of episodes where he was set up with a sister, and Diana was lurking around the background when he was waiting in their for you.
Speaker 2: To join the Crown.
Speaker 4: I remember her hiding like behind the planters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he was enchanted with this, this lovel. Do you remember that part Ballerina? Yeah, all right, Paris hid books for Rory and the library, but can't find them.
Speaker 3: Paris.
Speaker 1: Let's see Gender Trouble Judas Butler. It should be here. Juds Butler is a philosopher and gender studies scholar. They wrote the book Gender Trouble, Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, which challenges conventional notions of gender. Did you know Judas continues to teach it UC Berkeley as a distinguished Well, that's my school, yessor in the graduate school, Department of Comparative Literature.
Speaker 2: That's my school. Rory is flustered while talking to Tucker in the library. So we are probably all still going with library. Eva Luna. Everyone loves House of the Spirits, but I just think Eva Luna is Allende's best work. Valluna Allende, pardon me, thank you, You're so smart. I have never heard of any of these people. Eva Luna is a novel written by Isabelle Allende in nineteen eighty seven. The book follows follows the story of an orphan who grows up in South America. Isabelle Allende is a writer whose works contain magical realism. Owned for the House of the Spirits. Did you know Isabelle's novels are often based upon her personal experience and historical events, and pay homage to the lives of women.
Speaker 3: Did not.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of her, but I love it. I'm currently reading Calming the Anxious Mind. What are you reading, Scott?
Speaker 1: I am reading a book called The Ascent of Money, Nice Suzan, which which which details the U in part the rise of the rothschilds Oh, all right, did you.
Speaker 2: Have Nicky Hilton is a roth Child? I was Eric Hilton's sister. I think married a Rothschild.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes she did. She did.
Speaker 2: Thinking of getting the new MENO. Pause? Did you read that, Susan?
Speaker 1: No, but I might need to.
Speaker 2: What are you currently reading.
Speaker 4: I'm currently reading a book about the the Gucci Murder. There was the Lady Gaga movie, so from that book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm reading that book.
Speaker 3: She was great in that movie.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: I'm going to finish the book and then watch the movie.
Speaker 3: No, she's she's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know why people had such a problem with her, you know, because she she She got hit up pretty hard with the criticism for the accent and the acting. I thought it was all. She was the best thing in the movie.
Speaker 2: My friend wrote that book, Maureen North. Oh really that's my friend. Oh, my dad and Maureen. Sorry, everyone's gonna be like we hate Amy's tom stars. I don't care. My dad and Maureene have been like besties since college and crazy. Okay, so here's a little information about marine. So she wrote that book, which I didn't. I've known her for many many years, had no idea. We went to lunch the other day and somehow it came up, and I'm like, you wrote that? And then her son, so she was married to Tim Russer, you know, the newsman. Yeah, and their son Luke is also like a best selling author. These people she's it's the coolest and yes, I doubt I was like, you wrote that? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She won an Emmy for it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They turned the book into Ammy winning screenplay. Anyway, Yeah, I'll tell her.
Speaker 1: Do you like it?
Speaker 2: I haven't read it. The mini series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's really detailed and well researched, like you can tell her.
Speaker 2: She's like a journalist. So she's like you could have easily said like Rory and her dreams of being Christiana Mompour. She could have like Marien North is like an amazing investigative journalist. Mm hmmm, good story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have no use for those people anymore. They just get fired. So but it was I just thought who directed that movie, by the way, the Gucci philm oh And.
Speaker 2: Actually don't know Darren Chris. Remember Darren Chris plays the murderer, the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Really plane. I was just so intrigued.
Speaker 2: It was like a mini series, right, it had like ten parts of No, yes it did, there might be two.
Speaker 1: But the Lady Gaga thing. No, that was a movie.
Speaker 2: Hey was it a movie in the mini series? Oh wait? Oh, I messed it up.
Speaker 1: You're reading.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, so Marien North didn't write that book. Oh no, I've wasted everyone.
Speaker 4: You have to read another book.
Speaker 2: Halfway through, Jackie, Thank you, Jackie. Maureen Orth wrote the book about the Versace murder.
Speaker 1: Listen, you had a nice Juci murder. You had a nice lunch. All these people getting murdered, but designers, I mean, what's the lesson here?
Speaker 2: Look, sorry to everybody listening on the wrong business.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start writing books about whacked designers.
Speaker 2: We're gonna leave in the hot mess express of me getting crap wrong, and we're just gonna let you hear it. Laurai takes Michelle to the record store and hopes to find music for Chin Chin's funeral. Michelle says, I don't even know why we are bothering to select music. Why not just turn on the radio and hope for the best. Maybe we'll just get liking. This is after Zach made the dog Crack. Maybe we'll get luggy in a hip hop's station. We'll be playing Snoop Doggy Dog. Snoop Dogg is a rapper and record producer whose initial fame dates back to nineteen ninety two, following his guest appearance on Doctor Dre's Deep Cover and later on the chronic album My Favorite Snoop is the Snoop with Martha just saying did you know? Snoop Dogg is rumored to have an IQ of one seven, which would qualify him as a genius. I have heard that, Yeah, I didn't know that, but I believe.
Speaker 1: It all right. I think I'm gonna do this. When Zach is doing the music for the funeral and Laura, I asked if he has started preparing, Zach, Yeah, I did. Vintage Bowie originally recorded with Herbie Flowers on bass, Ain't c. Dunsbar on drum? You Know where I'm going? Diamond Dogs David Boie was an English singer songwriter who is often dubbed as the Chameleon of rock due to his constant musical reinventions. Herbie Flowers is also an English musician who has contributed to records by Elton John, David Bowe and more. Astley Dunsbar was also an English drummer and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Journey in twenty and seventeen, although he had left the group way back in nineteen seventy eight. Boy. Diamond Dogs is an album recorded by David Bowie in nineteen seventy four. Did you know that? David Bowie voiced the character of Lord Royal Highness in the two thousand and seven TV film SpongeBob Atlantis Square Pentus.
Speaker 2: Ooh the Dog bit is funny was who let the dogs out?
Speaker 1: Don't don't bring that back? No, no, don't no, you don't want to do don't who let No, we don't need any more of that.
Speaker 2: And they called it Puppy love Dog Songs, Osmond saying, puppy love.
Speaker 1: Right, I was so close.
Speaker 2: We'll start to anyone that can think of another dog.
Speaker 1: So Michael Jackson, Uh, I'll just keep going in the meantime songs.
Speaker 4: This one has my favorite line. So I'm gonna do this one. Larelyon Michelle Offer Zax and feedback on his music choices. Laura I says more Princess Diana, less dog Zax says, so you want Elton John, Laurea I says, we were thinking very dignified buck Mozart. Michelle says Celine Dion or Celine Dion and that's what Jaxa. Please don't make me do that, Michelle says, after all, my heart will go on was Chinchin's favorite song. Elton John is a British singer songwriter, being one of the top selling solo artists of all time. Johann Astian Bach was a German composer and musician from the late Baroque period. Wolfgang Mozart was a composer of the Classical period, and Celine Dion is a world renouncinger who is noted for her powerful and technically skilled vocals.
Speaker 1: Boy, Celene Dion got in there with some pretty heavy I have more, Oh there's more, There's more, but wait.
Speaker 4: Uh my Heart will go on as a song recorded by Celene Dion as the theme for the nineteen ninety seven film Titanic.
Speaker 3: And did you know that?
Speaker 4: Celine Dion has recently released a documentary on June twenty fifth, called Uh I Am Selene, about her battle with stiff person syndrome.
Speaker 2: I'm like upset about it. I can't watch it all right, this is you amyas same scene Lorlai, Zach and Michelle. All the pop culture was in this literally this one scene, the same scene Lorlai, Zach and Michelle are going over music choices for the funeral. How about Tears in Heaven? That's a wicked song. First of all, that's the saddest song of all time. Literally, if you know the story behind it, I can't even talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's the sadest song of all you know, I knew the motherly I knew her before she met with Ericappon.
Speaker 2: Laurie, Well, my heart is crying for you, my heart is waiting, my heart stood still. People very interested in this whole heart thing. I Will Always love You. It's got the cheese factor, but it's still at least legitimate. Tears in Heaven is a song by Eric Clapton and Will Jenning's written about the death of Eric's four year old son. I wasn't going to talk about it, and then Jackie put it in here. Thanks Jackie. I will always love you. I Will always love you as the song originally written and recorded by Dolly Parton as a farewell to her business partner Porter Wagner. Did you Know? Whitney Houston recorded a pop version of I Will Always Love You for the nineteen ninety two film The Bodyguard. Her version peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred for fourteen weeks. Did you Know? Did you Know? Allegedly either so David, don't tell me. David Foster and Kevin Costner were working on the song. One of them. I think Kevin Costner had the gut instinct of how to do I Will Always Love You for the Bodyguard. It might be how it starts and then it like, you know how Bumb's in all hot. I think Kevin Costner might deserve some credit for that.
Speaker 1: Just really, yeah Costner. David Foster listened to Costner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Kevin Costner was like the man behind the bodyguard. So yep, but he was right, Kevin co I remember it correctly. David Foster admits that he was wrong and Kevin Costner was right about.
Speaker 3: How to do the song.
Speaker 1: Kevin's a sharp dude. Yeah, he's a very sharp, sharp cookie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I might see his movie. He's got that movie coming out.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go see it from Mica Rooker my buddy. Yeah, he's in that. What's it call what's the movie called Horizon's New Hole something like that, something directed by Kevin Costner. Fantastic looking film, really really impactful. Anyway, that's gonna wrap it up for pop culture. Thank you, ladies, say a French Chami Sugarman, best fans on the planet. Keep the cards and letters coming. We love you, we miss you, we can't wait to meet you out on the road, and we're gonna be out there soon. Anyway. That's gonna do it. Remember we and I am all.
Speaker 3: In, Stay safe, everyone, everybody, and l again.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com