Speaker 1: The previous season when they lost one hundred and one games. People ask me, Okay, what's gonna happen next year? And I would say, it's not gonna get any worse. It can't, And sure enough it did.
Speaker 2: Here we go, all right, let's let's get all the funny business out of the way here first, because then we're gonna try and get serious for like five ten minutes with Chuck Garfin are for friend from the Chicago Sports Network shop, Great to see you. How are you? Do you have a prop for a j.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: One of a few copies left in the world of the Hawk us.
Speaker 1: I'm I am transfixed by this. I cannot stop reading about Hawk Harrelson. All right now, I'm at the point where he's talking about how he arm wrestled a guy who was six foot nine and beat him. It was in Brunswick, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real life for us.
Speaker 1: Go look at this man.
Speaker 3: What Scott looks like in the offseason.
Speaker 4: Scott Scott has said it you should talk about that book, and he said he would. He said Knerico would pull out a pull the book out in a rain delay and he would read from it. Is that true? He would read just like an outlandish story from the book.
Speaker 3: He would just open it to any page. It was like the Bible. You can open it to any page and find a great story. Now, were they all true? I don't really know, but they were made for a great book. And listen to someone that's own Hawks since he was in high school and he still lives around the corner from me, I can't argue with him. But he also dressed great, smelled great, and you know, revolutionary did a lot of cool things.
Speaker 1: How many players do you know put their nickname on the back of their jersey just as Hawk.
Speaker 2: That is cool. He is the definition of a renaissance man to me, Yeah, got the story. You're right, You're right.
Speaker 3: I gotta ask before we dig in here. I do have to ask, are you with the Chicago Sports Network? I am oh, I didn't know if you Ozzie automatically got transferred over. Because I will admit this, and I talked about this this weekend with Scott and the people. We went out to dinner Friday night, Mark and I said, I don't care how the White Sox do, but watching you and Ozzy after they lose every game is must watch TV. I would stay up and watch it, just so I could see what kind of antics that you and Ozzie would pull off. And you, I mean, your hair looks great because it was gray. So the off season has done you well, Chuck. So it's getting ready to start up here in a couple of weeks. But I'm just saying, like your antics with you, and I know when you know Frank would be on, he wouldn't get into as much. I love pods, but you know, Ozzy's just a different level of ridiculousness. So between the two of you guys, watching you guys every night was worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a great season for the show. Unfortunately it was the worst season in modern baseball history. I did have a procedure in the off season. I removed every single brain cell in my brain from what happened last season. So if you asked me anything about the one hundred and twenty one losses, I have magically forgotten them all.
Speaker 2: Oh you got the Men in Black? That little clicker that yeah, kids, look it up. It's a little clicker. It just makes you forget everything. And they just put the time period in. Okay, so we're gonna relive some of that magic and re educate you. So let's hit the twenty twenty five storylines for the White Sox. Homework is four storylines. Number one. It can't get worse, question mark, right, So we'll go over what twenty twenty five looks like and if there's going to be a Luis Robert audition, and then trade around the deadline, what about the five year plan and some of the prospects like Colson Montgomery, No Schultz and new edition Teal and then the veteran mercenaries that were signed to this offseason like Josh Rojas, Mike Takman, and Martine Perez. So I'll go first, nice and simple, Chuck, they were really bad last year, worst team, Just to re educate you, of all time in terms of the record. They traded away their ace, Garrett Crochet. Is it possible that they could be worse in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: All right? So at the end of the previous season when they lost one hundred and one games, people ask me, Okay, what's gonna happen next year? And I would say it's not gonna get any worse. It can't, and sure enough it did. But as someone and it's funny, how all these memories are now coming back to me. I guess the surgery didn't work. As someone who watched every single game last year, I can tell you it will not be worse. And there are many reasons why. And you know they get rid of Crochet and you think, how can they be better without Garrett Crochet? Well you look into it all right. The second half of the season, the White Sox were limiting his innings. He was going three innings four innings at a time or less. And when you do that, that means you have to use your bullpen for the final five to six innings. Every time that Garrett Crochet pitched, that's not good for your bullpen that day or the next day. So even though it was great to have Gerrit Crochet on your team in the second half, he went zero to six and they were not really in a position to succeed in those starts the entire second half of the season. And what were they doing. They're trying to market him so they'd be able to trade him, and I think that was a good trade for the White Sox. They lost fifty one games by two runs or less. They were in a lot of games with the worst offense I've ever seen, certainly with the White Sox and a bullpen that really struggled and was gassed and using a lot of young guys. This was not a team that was just absolutely defeated. They did all they could, but it was one of these storms or imperfect storms where everything went against them. They're not gonna lose one hundred and twenty one games. You heard it right here. I'm saying it on camera to the world. And if they lose one hundred and win one games or more, you can play this from here to eternity and I will eat my words.
Speaker 3: Chuck Garfinkel, always the forever optimist with the White Sox, but let me ask you this and this same topic. They're not really nice. They could lose one hundred and ten games and there's still eleven games better. So everyone's gonna be like, man wanted improvement. We only lost one hundred and ten games. So the better question is how big of improvement is the jump? But we're gonna get to that, okay, because Cratz is that's the five year plan thing. But I want to know about lou Bob Luis. Robert Jr. Has all the ability in the world. Two years ago was incredible. Last year banged up, it never really got going, had an awful year. There was a lot of things that happened with him. Can he bounce back and can he gets shipped to a contender, possibly in the middle of the season and get back More suspects for this five year edition plan that Chris gets in the front office has.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's five years. Are you putting five years on this?
Speaker 3: It's always five year plan. It's a five year plan. It's a five year plan. So you know we're in the seventh rebuild in the last six years. Check what I mean? What do you want for me?
Speaker 1: All right? So to answer your question about Luis Robert Junior, can he become the player he was? Yes? Will he? I can't answer that he had a one to thirty OPS plus in twenty twenty three and went down to eighty seven. Your best player, there's another reason why you lose one hundred and twenty one games when your best player, first off, loses I don't know. He was missed most of the first half of an injury and then comes back and is a subpar player in the eighty seven ops plus, batting first, second, and third, and you're going through that line of time and time and time again, and you're not getting the kind of production that you need in OBP under three hundred, you're gonna lose a lot of games. And so I really hope he can turn it around. He sure certainly can. And if he does, yeah, there'll be teams, they'll be interested. Are there teams interested?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: You know at the deadline winter meetings Chris gets said there there were teams interested. I'm sure there are teams interested in them. But will they give the White Sox what they feel like they need for him? If he has a comeback first half of the season, then yeah, he will be traded. I'm putting at fifty to fifty. How can you say you can rely on Luis Robert Junior to have a comeback season or half of the year that we hope that he can do when he hasn't consistently shown it either with his results on the field or staying healthy. It's a mixed bag. I'd love to see it. I know it's all in there. He's by far their best player, and they keep him and they don't trade him before opening day, and he has a big first half, which I know he can do. They'll get a lot for him.
Speaker 4: We saw your soul get hurt a little bit when AJ said the five year plan.
Speaker 3: You're like five years? We said, have four more.
Speaker 4: I still got deal with this, but it is going to be year two already. Okay, job like year two of this in the tanking program, tanking formula, what do we need to track, what do we need to follow with Colson Montgomery, with Noah Shultz, with Kyle Teel. What can we expect as White Sox fans that we are here at FT.
Speaker 1: Well, Fortunately I do have experience covering a White Sox rebuild. I covered the last one, and I saw how that actually quickly turned around. The rebuild started in twenty sixteen, and by well actually believing more, it was the twenty seventeen season and then that's really when it. But it didn't fully go through until twenty eighteen. And in twenty nineteen you're like, okay, we see where this is going. In twenty twenty they were a really good team. Unfortunately with the pandemic, they didn't make it into the postseason. What I'm looking for this year is not so much wins. You want to see the wins, but you want to see the guys who are a part of their future having good seasons. And you're gonna see six or seven of the Socks top prospects be called up to the major leagues. I believe many, if not all, of them will be up here, and so for Socks fans, you're gonna see the future on the field and we'll see how they do. But I think that's really what you have to look at. How many years is it going to take? I don't know. The payroll is really really low by design, and i'd like to think once they know what they have, who they have, and when they know what they don't have, they'll go out and spend the money. But you don't do it right now because you're still trying to figure that out. What prospects are gonna be big? And I'm yeah, Colson Montgomery, Noah Schultz, Kyle Teel, Hagen Smith, etc. They're gonna be on the major league team this year and I'm excited to watch them.
Speaker 3: Chuck. This leads into the last storyline, Veteran Mercenaries that we're calling it. Mike Talkman Martin Perez, who I love, He's a X seaman, of mind, Josh Rojas, some of these Austin Hayes, not Austin Haes uh ge sorry later Slater as Hayes t today, so he got me off of Austin Slater. Why go sign these guys other than trade pieces? Like, what does it mean for them? Because why not have Colson Montgomery play every day? Why not? You know, Bradon Montgomery's obviously a little bit younger, but why not have Kyle Teel and Corey Lee be or catchers? Why why not let another starting pitcher instead of Martin Proz. I know you need some veteran guys around, but what is the White Sox plan for these veteran guys? Is it to have them play, see how they do, and then possibly trade them and get more pieces and then have the young guys come up. Or are they really counting on these guys to lead them to a better season, which again, in the history of baseball, there's never been a worse season, so they got to be better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the answer to your question is almost everything that you just said, which is they bring these guys in to help, you know, solidify the team, bring some veterans into this situation and other than the catcher situation. I could see why, well, you know, why don't you have Kyle Teel give them a runway to maybe make the team out of spring training. I just think like what they're having behind the plate works for now, but they want to just make sure Kyle Teal and Edgar Carrow are ready and I think you'll see them in the major leagues at some point. But they didn't want to just rely on all their prospects right out of the gate when you're not one hundred percent sure if they'll be ready. Mike Tauchman, you know, here's what I see with a lot of guys. They brought in veterans, veteran leadership, defense, Martin Perez, one of the best defensive pitchers in the game, OBP, a lot of like Talkman Slater, and I think what they're doing, they're just they're putting some band aids certainly on this team for the first half, so it gives them a chance to win games. So you're not just relying totally on prospects. I think there's a good balance here and if they have good first halfs, then they're traded they get some more prospects. These are one year deals. They're payroll sixty six million dollars or something like that, So I mean, if you didn't even use these guys, their payroll would be sixty million dollars. I see nothing wrong with these one year deals, these mercenaries. I think they need some mercenaries on this roster, and I don't have a problem with what they're doing so far.
Speaker 2: I'm actually going to take the other side of what AJ's talking about and say, why didn't they do more of this in the offseason. There are rules to curb how you can rebuild these days, right, the White Sox should have the number one pick coming up? What pick do they have?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're talking about next season? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ten, they have ten, because you can't do that. If you're a team like them in a bigger market, you know, you get punished for being bad in consecutive seasons. So my case here is very simple, because it's a team in the league that did this. How come the White Sox are at sixty six mill or whatever and not at least closer to one hundred plus, which they can easily handle so that they can do a signing like a Raldist Chapman from a couple of years ago go, which the Royals did for like ten million bucks and turned him into Cole Reagan's. It is much harder to rebuild now. So why didn't we see them involved for some of these one year contracts? This is where they can play catchup so much quicker. They could have done three or four of these in like the five to fifteen million dollar range on these one year contracts, especially pitching, right, you can never have enough pitching. Get a few good starters, get a reliever or two, and then flip them at the deadline.
Speaker 1: Good question. I don't have the answer to that one. You're right, that's another way they could have gone about doing it, spending more money. What's crazy and what might have something to do with why they did this? It's just me theorizing this. Who had the highest payroll in the American League Central last year, and if not first, they were definitely right behind the first place team, the White Sox. So they had one hundred and twenty seven something million dollar payroll and they had the worst record in baseball. But in modern baseball history, that's not going to look good on the bottom line, and they clearly are not trying to win the division. This year. So the way they're going about doing it, let's give a lot of opportunities to the young guys, and let's surround them with one year guys who can help mold them. And these guys can have comeback seasons. And I think there's a lot of guys so, like you know, Austin Slater, Mike Takman actually had a pretty good year with the Cubs. I was surprised he was available, but I understand why he was available. I just think that this was what they decided to do, the route they decided to take. But I see it from both sides.
Speaker 3: Okay, gosh, you're such an optimist. You are just I mean you are.
Speaker 1: You know what you are.
Speaker 3: You're a fan at socks Fest this past weekend, Chuck. Just you were with fans, sitting there in the middle of the socks Fest, cheering on everybody. Weren't you?
Speaker 1: Oh, were talking to me. I'm sorry, Aja, I was reading the Hawk book.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: You know what I am. I'm an optimist slash realist. I'm not a pass in that.
Speaker 3: I'm not as either. I want them to do good. I want the White Sox to do well. Are they gonna be good? This year, though, I'm a realist. No they're gonna snap.
Speaker 1: I'm not, and I'm not saying they're gonna be good. I think the goal for this team should be, Okay, let's try to lose less than one hundred games. I mean that would be a humu.
Speaker 3: That'd be the biggest jump of any team in baseball if they did not leave one hundred games.
Speaker 1: I do think it's possible because watching how this team lost so many games, how they happened. This last year's team was a one hundred lost team. I mean, like, in theory, they should have lost anywhere between one hundred and one hundred and ten. There is no reason why they lost. They should have lost one hundred twenty one, and yet it happened. So I think just what I like, I mentioned all the craziness. I haven't even gotten into all the craziness. I mean, they lost twenty three games when leading after six, they were in position to win so many games. And if it wasn't the bullpen, it it was the offense. It was craziness. It was happening just they just had seemingly everything against them. I am not making excuses for them. I'm just saying how it transpired. This team can lose ninety nine games. I hope it's something in the double digits, not triple digits, but I would not be shocked if it was over one hundred because there's just a lot of guys you're relying on who you know, are are coming up to the major leagues or trying to find themselves. And but I see two different scenarios. I see them losing between one hundred and one hundred and ten and I see them losing between ninety and one hundred.
Speaker 2: The best way to go from bad to really freaking bad. It's not that much of a bullpen. Could have signed some veteran relievers to flip at the headline, So we'll see what opens.
Speaker 1: But anyway, what they've got, maybe there are some relievers who they feel good about. I clearly they do. But yeah, I hear what you're saying, But I think maybe that's coming in and.
Speaker 3: Didn't get better. Their bullpen didn't get better from last year. I'm just saying it get proved.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know who's close.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the names. I mean, I'm just saying a lot of these guys were there last year, and it didn't wasn't very well. He got a competition in camp a lot. That's great. That's a lot of competition. They want to I want to see what they have in the bullpen, but they don't want to see what they have in position players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're an indie ball pitcher and you think you've got to show up to Glendale, Arizona and see what happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's why he's that's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah's been a great sport. You got, Chuck. We got to remember these times so in a few years you can come back and be like, hey, remember when you just picked on me, And now you know, Ozzie and I can actually have a good time here on the postgame show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know what's funny is that when they went through the last rebuild, what do they spend a lot of money on and didn't work?
Speaker 3: Bull bullpen?
Speaker 2: Bullpen? That's true.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I I see, like, you know, you could spend a whole lot of money on the bullpen. Hey, look at this guy was great last year. Oh no, it's twenty twenty five. We got this crappy version of him. No, let's go with an unproven guy. Maybe he's got something that we can use that's cheaper. He's already in our system. We know him more than this guy who was playing for Texas or Atlanta, whoever it might be. So I know you want some definitive hot takes from me, but I am blending optimism and realism with you. That's what you're gonna get, and you're gonna get stories.
Speaker 2: And brevity.
Speaker 3: Chuck, Well, you don't want hot takes from you. We want realism, and you give it to us. That's why you're our Chuck. And Kratz said it best. He wants him to lose a lot of games just so we can witness the drama with you and Ausie. That's it, That's really it. I didn't say that, Kratz said it. I didn't say that I want him to win every game. I wanted to go one hundred and sixty two and.
Speaker 1: Well, it is true that many of our best postgame shows do come after losses, but I do not want that. I want as many wins is humanly possible for the White Sox. I'd rather talk about a win than a loss. The easiest thing to do on a postgame show is talk about a game that ended in a win. Losses are tough, but I've got Ozzie there and we have a good time doing it. We never make it personal ever. We just tell you, tell like it is, tell you what just happened and why it happened.
Speaker 3: And we'll be watching.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will be watching, don't worry, and we'll be talking about it here, Chuck, thank you, good to see it.
Speaker 1: Great seeing you guys, even Aj