Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, from.
Speaker 2: The heart where innovations, money and power, Collie in Silicon Valley and beyond.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 4: I'm Caroline Heidet Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York, and I met.
Speaker 5: Lover in San Francisco. Happy Friday. This is Bloomberg Technology Long.
Speaker 6: Week coming up.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss the regulatory overhang for Apple, I mean the Justice Department's sweeping lawsuit against the iPhone maker.
Speaker 6: Full analysis ahead, Plus we'll.
Speaker 5: Get to read on the IPO ecosystem after a Steri Labs and Reddit went public this week with strong debuts.
Speaker 6: And talking of the big week.
Speaker 4: Bitcoin actually set for one of his worst weeks of the year, as ETF demand that slows.
Speaker 6: We'll discuss that and so much more throughout this hour.
Speaker 5: Of Apple doj antitrust lawsuit against them and on Thursday session it had a real material impact on the stock. You can see actually we're sort of recovering up four ten to percent in the session, but I still think it was notable that finally there was a headline about antitrust relating to Apple, and there was a clear stock reaction in that session Thursday. What happens next is the big question from all. Let's bring in Bloomberg's Mark German, chief correspondent covering Apple. What's changed in the last twenty four hours since we last spoke. Do we have any signals from how Apple's going to respond to this suit?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think reading through the lawsuit reveals a lot. It reveals that the Department of Justice had been working on the case for so long that I would say about sixty to seventy percent of their major points are things that have already been resolved. Apple doesn't believe, of course, they would say this that the case holds much water. They don't believe that they're a monopoly. They seem to find it perplexing that the government is trying to position them a monopoly, whereas they believe they only have about twenty percent global smartphone market share. I think that Apple is prepared for a fight here. I doubt they're going to settle. They've settled in some cases, but I don't think that Tim Cook has shown a willingness to settle. I think Apple believes and based on my read of the lawsuit, I'm not seeing much harm towards consumers. I'm seeing a lot of harm towards developers. I'm seeing harm towards partners and some rivals. But again, here are their top five issues the Department of Justice. A lack of cloud gaming support, allowed of message interoperability, a lack of super apps, which are things like we Chat, a lack of support for third party smart watches to the same degree as the Apple Watch, and a lack of support for Apple Pay the NFC chip on third party applications. I think of those five items, at least three, I would say even three and a half of those items have already been resolved. I expect the messages situation and the NFC situations to be resolved as well. But taking a step back here, you know, despite that, I don't think the DJ is making great arguments given the resolutions already in place. You have to be honest here. A lot of these resolutions are in place because Apple has been afraid of this impending DOJ lawsuit for several years, and they knew these were where they would be attacked, and so they knew they had to fix them. It just for some reason, Apple implementing the fixes didn't stop the DOJ from moving forward anyways, This is.
Speaker 6: A global company.
Speaker 4: Tim Cook in China at the moment seemingly all smiles and some conversations happening with Baydoo around potential generative AI. Of course, as many would say, as expected, that was all street journal reporting, Mark. But what seems to be at stake here is a philosophical difference. Philosophy driving Apple and the way in which wants its own ecosystem to work, and a.
Speaker 6: Philosophy that seems to be changing.
Speaker 4: Tach among regulators in the US and Europe is still looking at Apple as a whole, not just individual places that they act monopolistically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a few things. Well, of course Tim Cook is going to be all smiles in China. He really has no other option. China is a very important market and Tim Cook is a poker player. He's not going to show his true feelings about this DOJ lawsuit, certainly not in front of the press and in a public setting as China is. You know, Apple stock took a big hit yesterday. I could think of ten better reasons for you to sell your Apple stock than what's in this DOJ lawsuit. Apple will certainly have to implement changes. I would imagine that what you've saw in the European Union regarding the digital market, sac changes, appside loading, opening up the NFC chip, You're going to see a lot of those changes over the next years occur in the US. But I don't think that's going to do much to change the fundamental situation with Apple. They're making a lot of money from the app store. They need to figure out a way to bring a next big hardware category to market. Everyone thought that was the car. That's probably what could have added fifty to one hundred billion or more to Apple's bottom line on an annual basis. That's what I could have doubled Apple's market cap to several more trillion over time. That's no longer happening, and so now I think the biggest issue for Apple is not regulation. It's not how the app store is going to be impacted. It's how Apple is going to continue to grow its hardware business. And don't forget, seventy five percent of Apple revenue is still hardware. Fundamentally, they are a hardware company, and so they really need to figure out how they expand there. But still AI, that's another important component, and they need to figure out that situation too.
Speaker 4: Need the next catalyst, Mark German, We thank you for really breaking that all down, and we.
Speaker 6: Want to just delve into the overhand from.
Speaker 4: A regulatory perspect to go a little bit more and the nuances around it.
Speaker 6: William Cover chitches with.
Speaker 4: Us George Washington Law School, Global Competition Professor of Law and Policy work at the CMO of and UK at one point, and William to that, and we all know that these sorts of legal wranglings are distraction. How much impact do you think you will have on a business model.
Speaker 7: I think the distraction comes from the number of people inside the company you have to commit to support the litigation. We don't know what that number is, but the experience in other major cases is that this can be a significant drag on the company. You have also the inhibition that comes from the pending lawsuits. Companies don't want to provide additional ammunition for prosecutors. It means that they're not quite as agile, not quite as adroit in developing business programs. I realize these are somewhat intangible consequences, but then cumulatively, when you take all of the developments we've just been talking about, in the United States and abroad. It's an avalanche of regulatory oversight that has to sap to some extent the creative energy of the company.
Speaker 5: Mister Kovachich, we sometimes talk about in this program regulating through the courts, you know, a legal action to get a result, that's the bigger picture. Is there an avenue where Apple and the DOJ can just work this out outside of court?
Speaker 7: I would think there's always the possibility of reaching a solution. The solution, though, is going to have to be one that persuades the just This Department that the overall aim of any specific settlement is not subject to evasion by additional adjustments in.
Speaker 3: The business model.
Speaker 7: They'll have to be confident that the solution is one that they can monitor and oversee effectively. I think that there would be a willingness to discuss settlements. But a major message that has come from the age agencies in the US in recent years is a great deal of skepticism about the efficacy of many settlement arrangements and doubts about how readily you can implement them and be effective.
Speaker 5: In your reading of the suit itself, do you think the JAY.
Speaker 8: Has a point here?
Speaker 7: They do have a point, and the point is one that in a sense involves again a collection of intangible considerations. But there's anxiety about the possibility that incumbent firms that have a significant market position, will, through a variety of tactics, diminish the emergence of alternative technologies and.
Speaker 3: New business models.
Speaker 7: That concern might be very much the feeling that anti trust law failed in the last thirty years to deal effectively with the emergence of new tech. And I believe a state of mind and perspective that has a tight grip on the agencies is that they're not going to allow the permissiveness of the past to continue. And it means that they're going to dig in and look carefully at anything that appears to be an effort by an incumbent to see that new technologies, new business approaches do not emerge.
Speaker 6: This is dj action.
Speaker 4: We've seen FTC have a similar focus. But sometimes this is political. In an election year, does this sort of continue.
Speaker 7: I'm going to give you a bit of speculation that I could never prove in a rigorous way, but I noticed that President Biden's opponent in many instances has been skeptical of tech. Now that skepticism has been focused in particular on the information services platforms that are involved in involved in advertising, involved in social messaging.
Speaker 3: But it was Donald Trump's Justice.
Speaker 7: Department that initiated the Google search monopolization case. It was Donald Trump's Federal Trade Commission that began the lawsuit against Meta for its acquisition of Instagram. It could entirely be possible that, at least for tech, given the way their political contributions go, given his concern about the role they've played in his own electoral process in the past, that he may look at the FTC in the Department of Justice and say, keep up the good work.
Speaker 4: It was a Trump as well when this was first initiated to Apple back in twenty nineteen, William cover Chich, we thank you so much.
Speaker 6: George Washington Law School, absolutely brilliant to get his take.
Speaker 4: Mean while coming up, Look, we're going to be chatting to a head moderator of Reddit forum all street bets. You know you know it, well, I's going to be joining us find out how reddits ipo, how much the effect to the user base there's in Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: The fourth largest IPO of the year, Reddit climbed forty eight percent on its first day of trading yesterday, after pricing at the top of its marketed range, raising seven hundred and forty eight million dollars. Let's bring in Bloombo's Katie Ruth, who has lived and breathed reddits ipo this week. That's true. I mean for many people, I would say this went well.
Speaker 8: This ipo.
Speaker 6: So it did the first day.
Speaker 9: Right now it's trading down, although yes, technically it's still above well above the IPO price, it's not really much above where it opened yesterday. And so I think there's two numbers to watch here. It's the thirty four dollars where priced at the top of the range, and that's where the insiders, you could say, the institutional investors that have banker connections, that's where they bought. And then some some of Reddit's top users were able to buy at that price. And then there's everybody else which bought it that forty seven dollars a share where it opened yesterday, and right now it's trading at.
Speaker 8: Forty seven ish.
Speaker 9: So and it was actually dipped below that opening price this morning for a little bit, so some people could have already lost some money on Reddit. But you know, most are making money.
Speaker 4: And certainly long term investors have cashed in here potentially, Katie, I'm interested as to what this means for ongoing IPOs, what this means more broadly, for money left on the table.
Speaker 6: We want IPOs to do well.
Speaker 4: Bankers certainly do, but the people raising the money don't want them to go too well and feel that they could have rais Yeah, the money left on.
Speaker 9: The table argument is an interesting one. It sounds like what you're referencing is where they could have raised even more money and had less of a pop. I think it's too early to tell whether Reddit allowed for too much of a pop. You know, as I noted, it's already trading lower today, and you know, we'll see what happens next week. But you know, it depends on what they're optimizing for. If they if they're just optimizing for raising a little bit more cash, then you want to price it high. But you don't want to make a bad first impression on the stock market because it could be really hard to recover from that. And so that's you know, the argument that the bankers will make about why they price it to pop. They also want these insiders, these large anchor investors to keep buying more shares you know, in this IPO and ips to come, and they're not going to do that. They're not going to take that risk on a new listing on the first day unless they feel like they're getting some sort of discount.
Speaker 4: Katie with go get some thank you so much as we brace for more IPOs to come in the next few weeks, I'm sure, but well, we want to get a take.
Speaker 6: On how the users, those redditors are.
Speaker 4: Feeling about the company's IPO. They had a chance to buy in, and of course we know the a vocal bunch. Nor ours with us as a senior analyst and private equity back to healthcare company. There's also been a Reddit user for more than ten years, a moderator for the.
Speaker 6: Forum Wall Street Bets for.
Speaker 4: Nine, spending the most recent three years as a head moderator. He joins us now to tell us more well basically about Reddit's debut. How has Wall Street bets, How has your community reacted?
Speaker 6: Have you been positive on it?
Speaker 3: It's really been a mixed bag.
Speaker 10: There's a ton of positivity but also a lot of people excited to short byputs. But Paul and all, they're just excited for the volatility, and that's absolutely what we're seeing here today.
Speaker 5: Nor last week on the show, we reported on the post that Reddit made itself saying we're going to do an AMA and we will answer the questions in video format, selecting the most up to posts. At the time that we reported it on this program, the most upvoted post is why are you even going public? It's not a great vibe right now. Just give me your reaction to that. I mean, it's the function of Reddit ironically pushing the management to think again.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, yeah, I think this is actually a great time for Reddit to IPOs I'm surprised. Certainly there was a lot of turmoil over the past year, but if you look at what came out of that from a business perspective, it's actually been very positive. We saw with the Reddit protests that actually people found Reddit completely indispensable. There was so much opportunity for a competitor to take reddits place, and nothing came out of it. So this just goes to show how deeply ingrained Reddit is in the zeitgeist and that it's here to stay.
Speaker 5: Nor there are many redditors and indeed moderators that have big concerns on reddits plan to license user and platform data to AI companies to use it to train la lens. What's your position on it from.
Speaker 10: A business perspective, It's definitely a risk. We're seeing that the FTC is also looking into this, but it is a huge opportunity and Reddit owns something that is very special for lllms, and that is real time user reactions to what's going on in the world around us, and that's something that I think no other platform has. So it's a great opportunity for Reddit to make money off of that and then turn around and invest that money in improving the user experience.
Speaker 4: No, I want to ask about the evolution of moderation, because money would say in anticipation in the IPO, reditor really read it, really got ahead of ensuring that this became a safer space to.
Speaker 6: Be able to comment. Does that stand?
Speaker 4: How has anything been lost in the focus of needing to clean up the platform.
Speaker 10: We've definitely lost a little bit of the chaos and grit that you would have seen on Reddit ten fifteen years ago. And although that lose some of its charm, I think it's more reflective of the state of the Internet rather than Reddit as a platform itself. We're seeing all platforms, social media platforms censor in response to government regulations and laws that have been placed on hate speech and other types of speech.
Speaker 3: So Reddit is actually maintaining.
Speaker 10: Its position as the front page of the Internet and simply reflecting what is on the Internet through these policy changes.
Speaker 4: Wall streetbats was what we talked about day in, day out in twenty twenty one through twenty twenty two name being made around GameStop, the power that reditors had in that moment. What do you think the powers of redditors around the Reddit stock itself.
Speaker 10: It'll be interesting to see It'll be interesting to see you when redditors feel empowered that the actions they take on the platform can make a meaningful impact on the stock price of Reddit itself. Like with the game Stop debacle, we saw over a billion page views in a very very short period of time in a month, and we saw that continue for several months. So to think that redditors now who are might be investors themselves, can have a positive impact on the stock will simply deepen their relationship with the company and with the platform.
Speaker 5: No, we just have thirty seconds for someone that has no idea what Reddit is what's your pitch for them to get onto the platform.
Speaker 10: Reddit is a city that is incredibly deep, with countless communities to fill every need that you knew or didn't know that you are interested in learning more about. If you've got an intellectual curiosity that can't be satisfied, Reddit is the place for you.
Speaker 5: Head moderator for and Wall Street bets on Reddit, and I point out that moderators are volunteers to all intents and purposes and are how great to have you on the program.
Speaker 4: Time Now tech first Up mayto one's quarterly revenue, it climbed better than expected twenty three percent. Now that's a sign that the company is actually making some headway in its efforts to fend off a challenge from Byte Dances Doyen in China's meal delivery arena. Now shares in the company are up this year after losing more than half of their value in twenty twenty three. Plus Wawei and a secretive chip making partner in China, Well, they file patterns for a lower tech but potentially effective way to make advanced semiconductors.
Speaker 6: And we're talking about self aligned quadruple patterning here or SAQP.
Speaker 4: Basically, it's raising the prospect that China could improve chip production techniques despite.
Speaker 6: US efforts to hold its progress.
Speaker 4: And lastly, Tesla, we'll go chick with steck with China here because it's reduced production at its plants over there amid us some sluggish growth and EV sales and intense competition in the.
Speaker 6: World's biggest all code auto market.
Speaker 4: Now the car maker has instructed employees at its Shanghai facility to lower production of the Model Y and Model three. That's two vehicles that Tesla actually makes over there in China by working just five days a week instead of usual six and a half half days.
Speaker 6: All of this, according to sources.
Speaker 5: British audience in the UK pay attention. Vodaphone and Three's UK combination is facing a deep check by the UK Competition Markets Authority, the CMA, the regulator. They issued a statement Friday saying they're concerned and they don't buy the argument from Vodafone and three that combining the two would mean better deals for customers. Vodaphones London listed shares actually at one point eight percent with a little to go, but it's an interesting story about consolidation in that market.
Speaker 8: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to me new MEOT technology. I'm Caroline Hid in New.
Speaker 8: York and I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about this whole new wave of IPO names. Read at Asteri Labs debuting this week and just whether or not that's going to open up the pipeline. A little bit more broadly, eyipa Practice Co had richual Garings here to take basically on the feel good factor right now. Thus far these companies have come to the market and come.
Speaker 6: Well, does that mean suddenly the.
Speaker 4: Yours the other names that we've been waiting for for a long time, I'm gonna be galvanized.
Speaker 6: Do you think it.
Speaker 1: Definitely helps the momentum for what we're expecting in the IPO market, the pipeline that.
Speaker 11: We're seeing come through. As you all, we're noting.
Speaker 1: Though, the post IPO performance of these companies that even the ones before them, will really help continue setting the stage and help influence what will continue coming to market over these next several months and throughout the remainder of twenty four We've got.
Speaker 11: You know, positive momentum.
Speaker 1: The trends are all going in the right way, but not without its challenges. We're in a political you know cycle, a political election cycle this year, so you know there's going to continue to be elements and dynamics.
Speaker 4: That everyone's going to have to navigate, dynamics being also that the market is hungered for hungry for AI names. When you're advising these companies, when that are coming to you saying I want to navigate the quidity events, I want to analyze the market.
Speaker 6: Do you think about.
Speaker 4: Basically where they need to be dining out on AI for example, Well.
Speaker 1: A AI is certainly something drawing a lot of focus interests, particularly from investors, and when we think about AI, I think about it in kind.
Speaker 11: Of a few different buckets. You got the pure play.
Speaker 1: AI companies, those that are developing the technology. There is a lot of continued interest in this area, particularly in.
Speaker 11: The private financing space.
Speaker 1: So these companies are generally getting funded and where we start seeing a flood of you know, ideos from them over the coming months, and ye're meeting at onesie twosies, but they're getting the financing they need, they're developing the technology. But then I also look at other companies and how they're employing AI within their companies and relative.
Speaker 11: To their strategy. We're seeing that play out.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue, not without skepticism from investors, kind of proving it to me. And you've got those kind of in the broader ecosystem that we're seeing right now and how they're contributing to the A to AI in that broader ecosystem, and we're going to continue seeing those come to market as well.
Speaker 5: Rachel, this is exactly what I was writing about in my column in Tech Daily this morning, that Reddit, for example, got its AI story right going into the IPO, you know, the data licensing business. I think what would be interesting to learn from you is what's more important that in the S one process and the road show you sell your AI story or is it more important that actually, now a company like Reddit is listed, they can prove they have an AI business, you know, after the fact that it's actually real.
Speaker 11: I think both are critical for obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: But where we're seeing, you know, even when you're putting that into your S one, going through your road shows, investors asking you know, to prove it. So it's that more it's not just about writing about the possibility and the idea.
Speaker 11: But what have you done even up to this point to.
Speaker 1: Share with investors how you're proving this out, how you truly have a strong plan that you're then now executing on. And then proof will be in the putting post IPO, how you're coming out and continuing to execute.
Speaker 11: And perform to back all of that up.
Speaker 1: And so as we continue to watch the performance of these stocks, you know, two months from now, three months from now so forth, they've got to continue demonstrating that performance and stay good on the promises and commitments they made.
Speaker 5: Rachel, how do you assess this week, this week's IPO window. I don't even know if we call it window versus what we saw in September.
Speaker 1: You know, this is to me demonstrating, you know, we've got investor interest around IPOs. The companies that are coming to market right now is what we've expected. They're stilled, they're large, they have a name, they have some history, you know, performance history behind them as well. So the risk profile is one of an appetite that's attracting investors.
Speaker 6: As they continue to.
Speaker 1: Perform, hopefully that starts to open up opportunity for more the growth oriented companies to start coming to market and really help drive some momentum and valumes over time getting inspect to those historical norms.
Speaker 11: But this is it's going to be instead a steady recovery.
Speaker 1: We're not expecting a big, you know, balloon if you will, or huge kind of spike. A steady recovery is what we've continued to expect throughout twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: As we continue to see the market rebound.
Speaker 4: I'm chure what's the motivating factor here? Med It wanted IPO for years.
Speaker 6: Says twenty twenty one. It was about a liquidity event.
Speaker 4: For employees largely, but I'm sure time for investors to have some money back.
Speaker 6: What's driving other names?
Speaker 11: Everyone had their facts and circumstances.
Speaker 1: Some's going to be you know, they're going to be anchoring around valuations and are they getting to a valuation that they're expecting liquidity for employees, for other founders a lot of PE right, we're going to start seeing how how is PE going to start driving valuume. They've been having some companies they've been holding for quite some time. They want to start entering back into the M and A market. As we see rates coming down, hopefully we'll see more M and A activity even more from pe. I think that's going to start influencing some exit from their stage as well.
Speaker 4: We want to thank you ey IPO Practice cohad Rachel goering there on the IPO landscape where we just want to stick with well companies going public none all of them do IPOs, some of them do SPACs.
Speaker 6: And former President Donald Trump's.
Speaker 4: Media startup is likely to debut as a public company.
Speaker 6: In coming days. Having voted today on whether.
Speaker 4: Blank Check Company Digital World acquisition can proceed with taking Trump Media and Technology Group public. It runs, of course truth Social the platform, and it's been a long delayed deal and seemingly has now approved. And a number of insiders from management to sponsors and even former associates who soone to stall or block the deal stand to pocket millions of dollars and what have you got?
Speaker 5: Okay, Coming up on the program, we're going to dive into the world of climate investing AI. What on earth happened this week in IPOs, everything and anything that we've spoken about this week with Initialized Capital partner Kim Mai Cutler. Really looking forward to that conversation. Next, this has Bloom their technology. This is the Blackwell GPU or graphics processing unit in Vidia's next generation AI accelerator, and it's the star of GtC in Vidia's annual developers conference, which has been dubbed the Woodstock for AI.
Speaker 8: The B two hundred is more powerful than the H one hundred.
Speaker 5: The prior generation AI accelerator that's driven in video to be the world's third most valuable company compared to Hopper. Blackwell offers two point five times the performance for training large language models and five times performance for running the model, a process known as inference. In offer Blackwell in different forms, including is the GB two hundred super chip, two Blackwell GPUs and one Grace CPU in combination. Trays and trays of GB two hundred go into liquid called rack scale systems like this and ship to server companies and cloud providers for their data centers. It's a market that Nvidia's CEO says will start at two hundred and fifty billion dollars annually and grow from there. The technology is capable of processing AI models with one trillion parameters. GtC crowds literally circled around the single demo server rak in droves.
Speaker 8: The real thing start shipping in late twenty twenty four, so.
Speaker 5: Among everything else, GtC ended last night, Caro, and you know it was all about bow down to Blackwell.
Speaker 8: And the deity.
Speaker 5: Whether you're an AI startup founder or you are ADEL or an infrastructure company, bow down to Jensen Wang and in that might sound extreme, but trust me, they're on the ground.
Speaker 3: It was true.
Speaker 4: And share prices really read benefit as well, not so much of Nvidio, but sort of those that he anointed the synopsis of this world, you say, Dell as well, some of these companies managing to push on higher because we are starting to see how they're able to tap into this ecosystem that basically is the driving force from an infrastructure perspective of everything that we now talk from a value perspective in well public.
Speaker 6: And private markets.
Speaker 5: And as we've been saying, the show, get the AI story right, because AI was also a big part of the story. Yesterday, for Reddits public listing Day, Initialized Capitals celebrated the IPO of its portfolio company, which is banking on licensing its users data to builders of large language models to fuel reddits growth. Let's bringing Initialized Capital partner k in my cutler for more.
Speaker 8: In today's VC Spotlight.
Speaker 5: I wrote in my column today Reddit got the AI story, right, I just thought it was really interesting that they went there with that.
Speaker 8: What did you make of it?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think it's a tremendous day or the whole team there for Steve, for Alexis. You know, that company in particular has a long history and close ties obviously with Sam Altman who runs openings, and so I think that relationship over the last decade and more really benefited their ability to ride this wave and rend itself as an incredible consumer internet property. I mean, I'm a user multiple times a day every day. I mean the wealth of information that I have in all the different like subcommunities, and the way that people talk honestly and openly and freely about.
Speaker 6: What they think.
Speaker 12: You know, it's just an incredible data source and training set.
Speaker 5: So what I find so interesting, particularly in the context of where Initialized will deploy capital, right, the types of startups that you'd invest in is redd It's an example of where you don't need to be a builder of large language models or an infrastructure play to be a participant in what's happening in AI. Do you have any parallel examples of companies you think will benefit from the infrastructure investment that's happening.
Speaker 12: I think for us, you know, we've long done many, many different deals that have you know, very specific applications to different workflows and different industries. So for example, you know, you could think about the healthcare use case. We have a company called glass Health that supports medical professionals and diagnoses. We have another company called Parta that you know serves as an AI copilot for financial compliance. And so there's all these different specific industries with specific like legal requirements, workflows and ways that people work that will need you know, very very honed and refined applications of these foundational.
Speaker 6: Models and kill.
Speaker 4: It's a long way coming for some of these checks that you've made into the Glass Health that you mentioned, pano arenas, some of these other AI adjacent names that you've invested in.
Speaker 6: How are you thinking about exit strategy?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: Longer term, what's been so interesting about this week was also the Microsoft basically acqua hire of Inflection Stuff assum when originally of DeepMind go Mean to be the head of consumer AI from Microsoft. It feels as though big tech juggernals are partnering in.
Speaker 6: More and more innovative ways to some of the larger language model companies. But how cool does that go for the entire ecosystem here?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, I think some of the developments that we've seen this week are reflection of consolidation in players in the foundational market, the foundational model market. So obviously they're there are companies that are far at a way you know, have tremendous you know, revenue you know, like revenue run rates and thinking like Shatgypt and Nanthropic, and then companies that aren't quite at that level or don't have that same level of revenue growth are having to make different decisions about you know, what they need to do given the cost of compute and the cost of going forward. You know, I think, you know, as a seat stage investor, we have companies that we're working with for you know, we might be working with them for five to ten ten years before we go you know public. And you know, if I look at the early you know, some of the earlier friends, our previous IPOs like Instacurrent, Coybats have also had you know, a very positive momentum over the last six six months, two a year. And then going forward, we're going to have companies that perhaps you and I will be talking about in five, seven or ten years.
Speaker 4: What's been interesting this week in the context of AI, whether it's US China relations, but there's also a context more broadly of where the government plays with this.
Speaker 6: We had or cause, the big announcement from.
Speaker 4: Intel getting more subsidies to be able to be building here in the United States, and I know that's something that you're thinking a lot about.
Speaker 6: In the context of climate.
Speaker 4: Technology as well, we have money being pushed from the EV perspective this week, regulation being pushed from an EV perspective to really perhaps enhance electric vehicle manufacturing here in the US. Can I when you're thinking about the opportunity IRA or another way of investing in climate tech, does that stick.
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, the government, the IRA has provided a number of you know, carrots and sticks, predominantly carrots that have tremendously expanded the market for some of our companies. So, for example, having more punitive measures around methane emissions is a is a real benefit to one of our company's, Orbio, which is using satellite imagery to really pinpoint methane leaks from specific facilities. You know, the incentives and the IRA around you know, revenue or purchase. Government purchases of carbon removal are also helping to mature that market. And we have another company in southern California from a former SpaceX engineer called Clarity that is doing carbon dioxide removal at uh, you know, with lower energy intensity and usage and costs.
Speaker 5: I'm sure because right at the top of your blog post which I read this morning, you were talking about the Chips Act.
Speaker 8: Yeah, at lower down at the early stage. Is there any benefit felt by the Chips Act in terms of inflation Reduction Act?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 12: Inflation reduction? That's right, I mean, there's there's there's obviously benefits from both. But like if we're talking about you know, a long term investment in you know, the United States ability around manufacturing and deep tech, I think that's you know, bringing in a lot of like tax rep you know, tax credits and tax incentives around building facilities here in this country. So for example, you know, to to really get carbon removal to the next stage, we're going to have to see facilities all over you know, the United States, particularly in you know, in the Southwest where Clarity is looking to do its first production facility and its first facility as well. And that's going to create a tremendous amount of jobs for all kinds of Americans.
Speaker 5: Innationalist capital partner, can I cut look great to have you here on set in San Francisco.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I love playing just there.
Speaker 11: So this is one of the things that we all have enabled me to do something that I wasn't able to.
Speaker 12: Really do much the last few years, especially not like this.
Speaker 3: I had to use like a mouth stick and suffer. Now it's well, it's all being done with my brain.
Speaker 4: Just part of a live stream with Neuralink's first brain implant patient, showing a quadriplegic man who was able to play video games and online.
Speaker 6: Chess using just his mind.
Speaker 4: Neuralink, of course, is a brain technology startup founded by Elon musk Is. Implant allows a patient to use their.
Speaker 6: Thoughts to control a computer.
Speaker 7: Ed.
Speaker 5: Bitcoin has peeled back more than ten percent from its all time high and maybe headed for one of its worst weeks of twenty twenty four. This is the appetite the spot Bitcoin ETF seems to be slowing down. Big Go CEO Mike Belshe joins us, Now that was the intro. What do you think is happening right now? With Bitcoin.
Speaker 13: Well, usually I do not like to predict price, but I think we're at a very very good time. Of course, there's some consolidation, as saying, I guess in the space that hey, if you're not ready for my twenty percent drops, you're certainly not ready for my six hundred percent increases.
Speaker 2: But overall, what we're seeing some consolidation.
Speaker 13: The ETFs just launched, we've seen tremendous run up in a very short period of time. A little bit of pullback is happening, but you know, all of the macro climate remains extremely bullish for bitcoin, primarily due to what people know about the long term just what we care about most at bitco, which is look term macro looks like we're still going to be very solid with having a static supply of bitcoin being something that you can count on that doesn't get eroded. And of course, you know fiat currencies continuing to do massive changes with debt and deficits and no sign of change for that front.
Speaker 3: Bitcoin.
Speaker 4: We've got the Harbing coming up as well, potentially another underpinning of price. But who's been getting into these ETFs and we've been able.
Speaker 6: To manage flow his mine.
Speaker 2: We have a little bit.
Speaker 13: Actually, so far, I think it's been mostly the smaller ticket sizes. So remember, institutions move pretty slowly, pretty glacially. Frankly, I think we've seen a wave of retail here over the last two and a half months. I think it's getting a little bit bigger. But the institutions, you know, we've seen some smaller hedge funds come in, Larger hedge funds will come in. Pension funds are coming, endowments are already here. So now that we have an ETF available, which is the distribution channel, which makes it super easy for everybody to participate. It takes a little bit of time to go through investment committees, but I think that we're starting to see that run up happen now all through the summer at rhymes.
Speaker 2: So you should say it eightyk by May.
Speaker 8: In the moment the calendar its and the harving, what happens? Do you think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 13: The having is an interesting pattern that people look at, but I think really the most interesting part is the long term meaning of the having. So bitcoin has a monetary policy which was set in motion back in two thousand and nine, and it has remained completely unchanged since that time. It's the longest standing unchanged monetary policy in the history of mankind, and this having is a demonstration that bitcoin has a solid commitment, unchangeable commitment to that policy, which we'll keep going. So with the having the supply decreases on a block by block basis, which means that we see a lower rate of inflation. Some measure this stock to flow and other measurements of how you compare that to other assets?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: How they but bitcoins in a very good stead is one.
Speaker 13: Of the most static supply assets on the planet, him will she It's been great to catch up with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much bitco ceo. As we have seen, of course, one of the worst weeks for bitcoin this year. That does it for this though edition of BlueBag Technology.
Speaker 5: Yet what a week has been. What an ends of the week? Check out the podcast. So many of you are listening to the podcast. The platforms are Apple, Spotify, iHeart and of course we publish to all of our own platforms here at Bloomberg from San Francisco and New York City.
Speaker 8: This is Bloomberg Technology