Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is a Monday here at the Star in Frisco, and time for another edition of Savannah Shots Here. I am ready to go, Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Oh, the old Wallypip and Lou Garrig right here. Okay, So Mickey has tapped out. He is Wallypip, and we've got Lou Garrigg sitting in Mickey's care.
Speaker 4: Will never be the same forevermore.
Speaker 3: It's Savannah Shots here, and we've got so much to get into. It's the month of March, and you know what that means.
Speaker 4: That means that Black History Month is over.
Speaker 3: With Women's History Month, and so that means Savannah sits.
Speaker 5: Everybody.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Caitlyn Clark got us started in the right way, you know, breaking pistol petees record and uh yep, and so here we go. But it's March madness and we're not talking basketball.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: One week from right now is when the big money, well the big money is already starting to fly. Just keep your own players.
Speaker 4: Big money is being eliminated too. We're making moves, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've been making moves. There's there's been lots of stuff going on the last week and.
Speaker 3: Then but next Monday is when the the legal tampering period begins, you know, and.
Speaker 4: So that's legal.
Speaker 3: That's when that's when we start finding out who's going where, and then the actual signing on the dotted line takes place Wednesday, a week from Wednesday, at three o'clock, which is the first day of the new year. But it's all happening right now.
Speaker 4: It's happening bill a lot. It's happening, that's right.
Speaker 3: And went breaking news this morning out of Tampa where Mike Evans has a new contract which can affect things here in Dallas. When you got a wide receiver named Mike Evans, it gets two years fifty two million. My math says that's twenty six million a year, So CD a lot.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 3: I think I think we're going over thirty. I think we're going over thirty.
Speaker 4: I'll be waiting on you guys right here, yep, right here, yep.
Speaker 3: So how you doing, Savannah?
Speaker 7: Great good?
Speaker 3: And you watched Combine this weekend?
Speaker 6: Watched a little bit of the Combine and also had some Dallas Stars hockey games.
Speaker 2: Oh you can't mention without without stars exactly.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 7: I was doing both.
Speaker 3: They've got And speaking of stars being born, there's one. You need to start keeping track of these Dallas Stars ever since, because they've got a twenty one year old Logan Stankovin who scored four goals the first week, three goals something like that.
Speaker 6: It was three goals, one assist in his first four games.
Speaker 7: He's incredible.
Speaker 3: Wow, So there you go. Yeah all right, So where do we start on this edition to mix shots? I had forgotten that Mickey wasn't going to be here today, and so he's on some secluded island somewhere right with his ten speed.
Speaker 6: Actually, no, I think he's not on an island. I think he's on a mountain.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's on a mountaintop. He's scaling a mountain.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Yeah, that's right. Yeah, fresh, no, baby, fresh?
Speaker 7: Well should we start combat?
Speaker 4: Tell it?
Speaker 3: He's telling people about his achilles injury.
Speaker 7: Yes on the one.
Speaker 2: Actually, they're like, oh, you look amazing. So someone has had an achilles surgery. Yeah, no, thanks, Yeah, where would.
Speaker 3: You like to start, Savannah?
Speaker 7: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Oh, Savannah's got our own leader, Lord Mickey's seat, I'm I got my big green notebook out.
Speaker 7: Let's start.
Speaker 6: Xavier Worthy with the forty yard dash four point two one beat the record, incredible.
Speaker 7: Did you guys watch it?
Speaker 4: Ever since I saw that, they said it was it was sub for two, No.
Speaker 3: For two, one four two, it was for one.
Speaker 4: Anthime initally said it was sub forth.
Speaker 3: And it was on his second attempt. He went four two five on his first forty I think, and normally that would be good enough.
Speaker 2: And he said, then I would have put his spikes up, his cleats up right there and say I'm done now.
Speaker 3: But that's not the record. And so John Ross had the record, and Xavier Worthy says, I'm going for the record.
Speaker 2: Hello, heldo, John Boss has the record? Who is that?
Speaker 3: He was like the eighth pick of the draft Cincinnati seventeen.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Now, Xavier Worthy, he has shown his worthiness as a football player at the University of Texas. He's a good player, so he's not just a track guy. But forour tow to one and he is one hundred and sixty five pounds. So let me ask you this, Is it more impressive that Xavier Worthy ran a four to one at one hundred and sixty five pounds or Everson? Is it more impressive that three hundred sixty six pound to and Andre Sweat, the Texas defensive tackle, ran a five to two seven.
Speaker 4: That's scary. Three hundred and.
Speaker 7: Sixty six pounds, that's impressive.
Speaker 3: So just think about this. Okay, he weighs two hundred one pounds more than Worthy and was just one second slower.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. You know, I think that would be the scariest to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you're scary to line up on a little guy that can run past you, but so it's even scary to have a huge guy that.
Speaker 4: Coming hits you. He's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little guys getting away from you, this guy's coming hit to hit you.
Speaker 4: That's be like.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, so Andre Sweat is Texas teammateers probably telling Xavier Worthy, Okay, now you ran four to one, that's really impressive. Okay, now you put one one hundred pound weight on your right hand and another one hundred pound weight in your left run by now trying to run five two seven. That's what I just did.
Speaker 4: So he's from Texas. Yeah, he's from Texas well.
Speaker 3: Worthy, Yes, he's from Fresno, California, played to Texas.
Speaker 2: So well, you have two guys on Texas with that kind of speed. M because the other guy you just mentioned.
Speaker 3: Well, the sweat is defensive tackle, but they're wide receiver.
Speaker 4: Worthy it's Worthy.
Speaker 3: Worthy is one of their wide receivers at an A or how you pronounced his first name, A D. Mitchell to transfer from Georgia. He ran like a four to three and blew up the other.
Speaker 4: And that's that's the two U two guys, two U two guys got.
Speaker 3: They got another one. Jordan Whittington is in the draft. So yeah, they got some oh yeah yeah and uh and Worthy has been there, he was there for three years. Mitchell just transferred there from Georgia after scoring significant touchdowns for Jordan for Georgia in the SEC Championship game and the NAST championship game. He's got he's got some CD lamb in him.
Speaker 4: Mitchell does.
Speaker 2: He's like a little shiftiness, yeah, kinda.
Speaker 3: He kind of has the same build as as c D. He kinda and just his his manner.
Speaker 4: Is hits, he knows how to avoid He's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't seen him enough to make that claim yet, but C's toughness is as impressive as anything, and his run after catch. But Mitchell has, Uh, he's gonna it's gonna be interesting to see where these two Texas wide receivers.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. Yeah, because I haven't heard of Mitchell first. Yeah, I hadn't even heard.
Speaker 3: Of no No Worthy Worthy came on strong as freshman year at Texas. Uh, he's just a slight, wiry guy, but tough and very fast obviously, but made a lot of plays his freshman year kind of it seemed to me took a little bit of a step back his second year. Maybe he was heard, I don't know, and then came on again this year. But uh, they're good. The reason that Texas got in the playoff is wide receivers were really good.
Speaker 7: Any other standouts that you saw them combine?
Speaker 3: Oh there's you know, I didn't watch it as closely as I will. I hit record on it.
Speaker 7: You came stuff the green notebook is I tried.
Speaker 3: I didn't I didn't have a chance. I had to go to my Grandstn's soccer game and stuff. And then it was Sunday fun Day yesterday downtown Green with my kids, with my daughters, that's what they called it. So with me, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 7: So it was too it was say, Sunday Funday.
Speaker 2: When my daughter starts saying that that, I know I'm not included in the plants.
Speaker 4: Have some fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but it's going to be very very interesting because the Cowboys have needs across the board. Obviously got a need and so and they have needs because they you get cheaper labor in the draft than what you will find in free agency.
Speaker 4: So who are we replacing?
Speaker 3: Well, should we start with the offensive tackle?
Speaker 6: Our big news, Yes, we can do that. Tyrone Smith unlikely to return to the Cowboys after thirteen seasons.
Speaker 3: Those are reports. Now, Jerry did his I think it's probably his thirty fifth annual Combine Cowboys bus press conference on Friday, late Friday afternoon, and it was and they were obviously they asked him about Tyron and the door is definitely open. Now. I think what has happened since that press conference is they did have a meeting of sorts with Tyroann's agent, and then reports came out that they're going to be too far apart to reach an agreement. But that could just be posturing too, So we'll see.
Speaker 6: Jerry's a couple exact words from him on Tyrone Smith. He's had a great career. He's a Hall of Fame player, so there's.
Speaker 4: No doubt about that.
Speaker 2: But you know, well, are we now so much about what are you going to do with him this season? When I saw last year we talked about Tony Pollard, who's another one, I was a bit.
Speaker 4: You could see that Tyrant was struggling.
Speaker 2: He's been struggling really for the past I'd say at least the past three years with the injuries and things that at least this year he didn't miss as many plays, didn't miss as many games, but his effectiveness obviously uh himself and and you know, I dare say Zach Martin as well.
Speaker 4: You can just kind of see it.
Speaker 2: It's a consistent thing now, the injuries, Uh, the games where we really need that culture to come through, it's not there anymore. That's why we're we're going through running backs now, you know, because our offensive life really, you know, they're really not controlling things the way we needed them to in the big games. And Taiwan, and and and Zach, they are both they'll be honest with you. If they were honest with you, they would say that their failure has a lot.
Speaker 3: To do with that to young men's game.
Speaker 2: It is just the way it is. Bro I hate to see these, especially Tyrant. He's I remember I still have the video of him dancing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I was just around him doing an autograph session on some island on some cruise we went over, and this guy man is just.
Speaker 4: I mean, see the video. I don't know, might assuming or something.
Speaker 2: It ain't pretty, but just to see someone that huge sit by him and sign out the grounds. I was always impressed with his just massive presence. And uh, he was always been. He's always been that quiet guy, Yeah, you know, that.
Speaker 4: Quiet professional giant. Never complained. I think he ever complained. And so.
Speaker 2: I'll take a not a bold stance, but yeah, I'm pretty sure he's gone.
Speaker 4: I would say he's going.
Speaker 3: I think I think the Cowboys would lik him back, but it's at a certain price. And actually his money last year was not great by Hall of Fame standards. I think he was on a one year, six million dollar deal, and but.
Speaker 4: We did not know that. When you look at that is a bargain.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, for an offensive tackle.
Speaker 4: For that offensive Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you look at and I got to find it in my big green notebook, when look at Kansas City and what did they do at left tackle this year? They signed a veteran. You know, they had a big need because Orlando Brown left in free agency to Cincinnati. They had a big need at offensive tackle, and they signed on a one year deal. They had Donovan Smith plan a veteran guy at left tackle, and I want to say his deal was for only three million dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so yeah, and they win the Super Bowl. And so the Cowboys look around. Okay, you got a Super Bowl team in Kansas City that was in a similar predicament as far as with an aging or a left tackle position that was open. And they were able to get by with and win a Super Bowl with Donovan Smith at left tackle on a bargain basement price for a veteran like him. And I'm about to find what his money was for sure. Yeah, he was on a one year, three million dollar deal last year with Kansas City chap and so so you got one side working from that standpoint, and then you obviously you got Tyron, who is his worth that his career shows is worth more than he actually he was on a bargain basement deal last year, and so that's where I think they are so far apart, probably on the on the price there.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure he felt like he sacrificed m Yeah, that's right, that's right, and like.
Speaker 3: Look at and now he's a free agent, so see what's out there? Yeah, okay, and the Cowboys are probably at a point where, okay, we'll let you see what's out there. And then if it's not that the money's not out there. If you know Kansas City, you know, Donovan Smith was on a one year, three million dollar deal in Kansas City. Would they offer Tyron that whatever?
Speaker 6: I think he's also taking his health into consideration, and you have to because he did have fourteen games in twenty twenty three, but he hasn't played an assistant full season since twenty fifteen. He's always had some issues with some injuries, and as you get older into these years, you have to, you know, take that help into consideration with the contract.
Speaker 3: My example of Donovan Smith, he played, he played and started only twelve games last year. And so that's what happens when you've got thirty three thirty four year old offensive lineman and actually Zach Martin's.
Speaker 4: Older than Tyron, have to put them on the pitch count.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, that's right. Yeah, And so the Cowboys. The health that Zach Martin has had throughout his career has been something that the Cowboys should be very thankful for. And now he's he's actually even though he came into the league three years after Tyron did, he's actually older than Tyron because he was a five year guy at Notre Dame and Tyrone was just at USC for three years.
Speaker 6: So well, the Cowboys did have eleven formal meetings with offensive linemen during the combine.
Speaker 7: They met with a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: Though, sadness, sadness.
Speaker 3: And the other thing on the offensive line is that Tyler Biattish is a free agent. So you're looking at left tackle, free agent, center, free agent, right guard, long in the tooth, and what's going to be interesting as far as the good news from a Cowboys perspective, if you're looking at offensive tackle in the first round. This looks like a deep draft at offensive tackle. So the Cowboys pick number twenty four overall, and that was where they were picking when they took Tyler Smith two years ago, and that enters the equation here too. Just Mike Solari now going into his second year as the offensive line coach, does he prefer Tyler Smith inside at guard where he's a Pro Bowl caliber player or could he push out to left tackle again like he did his rookie year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So then who's out there as far as the youngsters, who's out there running sub five for.
Speaker 4: What offensive tackles out there like that? None of them, no young.
Speaker 3: Know's there's a bunch of guys that could be there. I mean there are the so called experts project that there could be at least six, maybe as many as eight go in the first round, which would be could you know? The interesting thing, even going back on Tyler's draft is the Cowboys were picking at this same spot and the inventory of first round caliber offensive tackles ended with Tyler Smith, and the Cowboys feel fortunate that they he was still there when they took him, because there was a drop off to the next tier after that and they could be facing that same situation this time, so.
Speaker 6: We're going to see how that plays out the video.
Speaker 4: We'll just let you smile. Yeah, thank you, Thank you. Don't put me on the spot, all right?
Speaker 3: Do we continue with more mixed shots? So much to get to oh Savannah shots continue?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: And they snapped a fresh dout who looks white.
Speaker 5: It's not there.
Speaker 4: He escaped, flapped. He'll run full a fresh down. Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know him in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Pres Scott's gonna run this him show, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi Baby, the yin to this Burger's Yang burgers and Pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing, ice cooled koola a journey to fotopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their our own game by subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org, slash beat scammers, TX.
Speaker 6: Shuts kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of.
Speaker 7: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: We are back on some Cowboys updates from the last week, and I was thinking of bringing up Leyton vander ash. Yes, he is having some conversations his agent with the Jones family on his future here with the Cowboys, and we obviously know he has suffered a couple injuries with the neck, and so I think there's some conversations whether he will be returning to football in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's my concern forget returning to the Cowboys, returning to play the game itself.
Speaker 3: Or just and as Jerry said on the bus on Friday, that's the bigger concern is beyond football. And so whatever the diagnosis and the prognosis is for that neck injury, that's where Layton's got to make the decision. And Jerry was saying the Cowboys are supportive of whatever decision that Layton decides to make, but it's up to him and what the doctors say about the future for him and as far as his life after football, and so Cowboys aren't saying anything right now about it. They're leaving it up to Layton to say whatever he wants to say about it.
Speaker 2: And so I was concerned about him even when he came back to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First, Yeah, just anytime you're dealing with next and spine and things of that nature, it's something that you don't want to anyone to have to deal with.
Speaker 4: A good looking kid.
Speaker 2: You know, you see him all the time when we do the the pregame stuff on Saturdays with Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Man, he's just so much bigger when you see it.
Speaker 3: That's the reason that that's the reason he was the first round draft, nineteenth overall pay the draft.
Speaker 7: He's a monster, he really is.
Speaker 4: But he's a good looking guy.
Speaker 3: You know, when you're six five two and fifty five pounds and can move like him and you.
Speaker 4: Know, got the baby face going. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's the problem with that linebacker position. It's it's a lot like running back. There's such a pounding at that linebacker position if you look at it. Even the great line I mean, Luke Keickley was a great example. How short was his career because he had concussion issues and he had to retire. It's you saw Sean Lee here with all the injuries that he had. It's very rare that an inside linebacker can go like Fred Warner is gone pretty much injury free and play seventeen games a year, you know. And and that's why it's tough pulling the trigger on a first round draft pick for a middle linebacker because you just don't know, you know, where they're going to be health wise in a short amount of time.
Speaker 2: I always, you know, to me, I'm always a guy that believes in Parents ask me all the time about kids playing different sports. I always believe that one sport will help you in different aspects of other sports.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The mentality that might take to play baseball is something that you can use in football, you know.
Speaker 4: And mentality in basketball is something you can use in football.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: And you know, this guy was from what I hear, one of the better basketball player, Yeah.
Speaker 4: All around.
Speaker 3: Football, small town in Idaho.
Speaker 4: And so they said that.
Speaker 2: He came to California and average like thirty points on these guys.
Speaker 4: You know, he's like, you know, he brought he guys come in from.
Speaker 3: What phone, Idaho?
Speaker 4: I know, California.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they won the game, but they said he scored like thirty plus points. He averaged thirty plus points in the tournament, So I mean, just all around athlete, man, And I appreciate that because you know, I don't like the guys just so myopic, and you know what sport they're gonna play. I like it when they you know, when they branch out and do other things, because it develops you all the way around.
Speaker 6: And you can't you can't blame them for taking a look at his future and his health and if it makes sense for him to stay playing football. He is I'm not sure if he's had his first child yet or not, but he is supposed to be a first time dad, and so you kind of take a look at some of those aspects and you're like, all right, yeah, is it worth maybe the potential of getting injured down the line?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, I don't know how how smart he is necessarily, but you know, there's always coaching if you really love the game that much, right, and he seems to have great work ethic. I never heard anyone complaining about him being a good teammate. So I mean, like you said, you got the kids now, you have a son, a kid, and now you want to you know, you could just branch out into coaching and still be around the game you love.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for someone in the draft, guy that I liked at the Combine, just starting to do my research on him. Out of North Carolina State, Peyton Wilson six ' four, two hundred and thirty three pounds ran a four to four to four, like that's crazy, crazy, and.
Speaker 4: He talked about it.
Speaker 3: All around athlete. He was a not only in obviously football, but he's a state champion wrestler in North Carolina, an All conference lacrosse player as well, and he is and his brother also a baseball player. His brother actually pitches for the Milwaukee Brewers, Bryce Wilson. But he's also a guy that's had injury issues. Early in his his first year at North Carolina State, had a knee injury missed that year, and then in twenty one he had another injury missed that year. But he was the Bedeneric Award winner, but Gus Award winner out of North Carolina State, Peyton Wilson. But he turns twenty four April twenty first, so right before the draft, so it's a lot like Sean Lee. Shawn Lee was like twenty four when he came into the because he had had injuries in college and so he was stayed there longer. And so it's kind of the same way with this guy now Sean Lee though. Yeah, and Sean Lee.
Speaker 4: Was told than college.
Speaker 3: Especially now really especially now, so many of these guys now because they're getting the extra year for COVID.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, yeah, but you know that's one of them.
Speaker 3: I really believe we've had more rookies this year that made an impact in the league this year. I mean, just take the wide receiver positioned along with Tank Dell and Houston and Rushie Rice at Kansas City and there are others. I believe it's that extra year. Even though they didn't they didn't play necessarily at the big schools. They did play a full schedule in the COVID year, but they got that extra year of eligibility. So they say there were more players in the draft last year than ever before.
Speaker 4: It was. I can't remember that it would be on.
Speaker 2: It after this, after the COVID thing kind of washes out, then it will go back to kind here's.
Speaker 3: The other thing, there's fewer this year too, not only because they've got through a little bit of that COVID year, although it's still impacting a little bit. Yeah, but in IL now it's affecting it. Kids are staying in college now.
Speaker 4: Because college so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean, but there are there are a number of what what how old were you when you graduated?
Speaker 7: I was twenty.
Speaker 2: One, me too, twenty one, twenty two with the most twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that means that you early. You're probably like this. There's a lot of six year seniors this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but now there are a lot of kids are graduating by age twenty because they're getting college credited in high school. I mean normal students. You know, they're getting college credit early, and so they got enough hours where they graduated at age twenty after two and a half years of college.
Speaker 4: Three years of college. Well that I can get. But the twenty four like THEMN your birthday, and then you have to be with shir then.
Speaker 2: COVID geez, and then you go on there like Mormons, you got to go the on the on the what do they call.
Speaker 7: That their mission mission? Yeah, to your.
Speaker 4: Mission, to your mission.
Speaker 2: Then of course the David Robinson's they you know, they enable one of the naval things.
Speaker 4: So yeah, to your militaryty years old, I'm a bookie, but run.
Speaker 3: You know, that's what's interesting about this nil deal now because it's like, okay, I these kids are staying in school now because they got these green dollars that are flashing in front of their face that.
Speaker 4: Okay, college if it pays.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, wait, he's on this nil. They're offering me five hundred thousand dollars. Okay, well my, well, my, okay. I'm projected to be a third or fourth.
Speaker 4: Round draft pick.
Speaker 3: All right, but I've got this five hundred thousand dollars. It's in my hand right now. I have to make the team in the NFL to get that five hundred thousand dollars, and I'm not totally sure I can do it. And it's gonna benefit me to have one.
Speaker 4: More years too.
Speaker 3: And so now, so they're staying in school. But here's what's going to happen on that all right, they're gonna get hurt or whatever. And the other thing is they're coming into the league later, so they're twenty four whatever. When next week when we're looking at free agency, the prime age that guy that these teams are looking at for players. When they're trying to sign a guy in free agency, it is twenty six years old. Okay, you want that twenty six year old. You don't want to give the money to the twenty.
Speaker 4: Eight year old er.
Speaker 3: You're so close to thirty, you're gonna break down, right, And so what's going to happen is these college players.
Speaker 4: Afford to leave college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I would not be able to afford to leave college because it pays so much.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but okay, so you're taking that money. Okay, it's in here and right now, but you may be giving up that money on that second NFL con if you're that good of a player, because you're going to be too old to get the big money at twenty six.
Speaker 4: So they stay in school.
Speaker 3: Last we right now, it pays to stay in school, but it doesn't necessarily long term pay to stay in school because you're going to be too old to get the second the big money on the second game.
Speaker 11: If you're not that good of a if you're a good college player and you know you're not going to be a good pro player, you stay your ass in school as long as you can.
Speaker 12: Try, because you you're not going to be able to if you're worthy, if you're saving, you're worthy, and you know you can run a four to one and become a first round draft pick.
Speaker 3: Then you turn pro.
Speaker 2: There's more Walls out there than worthy, That's right. So I'm gonna say my school.
Speaker 4: If you're coming. But you had the confidence I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybodkay, take my I had the confidence here, but nothing necessarily a four to two off in here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, but okay, just put yourself in your twenty one year old Everson Walls mind and body when you graduated, okay, when you graduating from Grambling, okay, and you're not getting any looks from the NFL whatever. Okay, but let's say, okay, by it would have been, it would have been how much money would have kept you in school? Ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: More than this is nineteen eighty one I made.
Speaker 3: I made twelve thousand dollars my first year of working as a sportscaster. The whole year I made twelve found dollars.
Speaker 4: I would have had to come out, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: You would have come out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So now you put it in present days, you're talking ten thousand pluses five hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: No, but your your first contract as a even like a third or fourth round draft pick. Okay, it's four years, three million, three point five billion.
Speaker 4: Whatever minimum alone is amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, true, Yeah, Let's get back to linebacker, you guys, I gave him mind.
Speaker 3: Will Drin Cooper from Texas A and M is another one that a lot of people have as the Daniel Jeremiah in fact has him as the number one linebacker and twenty first overall on his list that Peyton Wilson. Jeremiah's got him forty seventh on his overall rankings, the third best linebacker and so that you're getting into that second round realm there where he could be available. I think that's where the Cowboys will be looking at. Linebacker will be in the second, third, fourth rounds, and you can find good linebackers in that spot in the draft.
Speaker 7: So Will McLay.
Speaker 6: When he was at the combine he was asked about the linebacker position, he said, we're looking for big, athletic football players.
Speaker 7: We're always looking at linebackers.
Speaker 6: That's a position that in free agency and in the draft that we're going to have to look at because we want to add more players.
Speaker 3: Now, the big thing on that is you're looking for a three down linebacker that you're drafting in the top picks. So that means in this day and age in the NFL, you got to have the athleticism to be able to cover and and that's why I like and that's why some of these there, Yeah, that's true. And six pounder who can move, you know.
Speaker 2: And got that attitude and he's the born leader, the guy that's that's the way they take over.
Speaker 4: As soon as he comes into the league. Yeah, yeah, Now I want to go back.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but did you see any offensive other offensive tackles out there?
Speaker 4: Because I don't think we even.
Speaker 3: Let me go back to the offensive.
Speaker 4: I didn't look.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the offensive lineman yesterday on my things to do.
Speaker 4: I can't give you an idea out there.
Speaker 3: I'll give you an idea. And there's a lot of names that are very difficult to pronounce. The first one is not difficult to announce. The guy that's gonna that's the number one. And I'm going off Jeremiah's list here just because I wrote those down. Joe Alt of Notre Dame, he's got him as his ninth overall player, number one offensive tackle.
Speaker 4: Ninth overall player. Yeah, so he's a.
Speaker 3: Top ten pick, right, and he probably I mean, I think you're looking at the draft, you're probably going to have three quarterbacks go off the board first, one, two, three. You could get a fourth in there depending. Uh. And then you got Marvin Harrison Junior, who likely is let's say he goes fourth to Arizona. Uh, And offensive tackles are going to come start coming off the board quickly after that. They've got there's an Oregon State offensive lineman, a Penn State offensive lineman are two and three on the list, Alabama offensive line. Just give you give me an idea his Jeremiah's fourth offensive tackle is his thirteenth overall pick. So he's got four offensive linemen from number nine to number thirteen on his list. There, Marius Mims out of Georgia is his seventh offensive tackle or offensive lineman that he's got listed, and it's his nineteenth overall pick. So the offensive linemen are going to start coming off the border. Or keep in mind, the Cowboys are picking twenty fourth and then the next one on his list, Jordan Morgan of Arizona, is thirty ninth overall and he's eighth offensive tackle.
Speaker 2: So if Spags was here, then we would not be talking about offensive guards, correct, right, because you.
Speaker 3: Don't draft offensive guards, although as it turns out the Cowboys did two years ago and a pretty good player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he will argue that point as well. Yeah, right. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Tyler Geidon of Oklahoma is another one that Jeremiah has is his sixth offensive tackle, eighteenth overall, and he transferred from TCU to Oklahoma. He's six seven, three hundred and twenty eight pounds and is athletic. The problem that I had in watching Oklahoma play Okay last in twenty twenty two he only started five games and last year he started ten games. But my issue with him is there were times where okay, why is he not playing? And at key points during the season is it is it an injury issue or is it okay, I'm protecting my a business decision.
Speaker 7: Is it a lack of skill yeah.
Speaker 3: Don't or lack yeah or lack of one two or whatever you know. So that's my only issue with him is just how much of the desire there is so anyway that gives you an idea on.
Speaker 4: Some of those offensive linemen. Lineman, I'm satisfied.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, there's a lot of there's a lot of them that are projected to go in the first round.
Speaker 11: And so what else are we looking for? Because are we looking for a dB?
Speaker 3: They're looking at a lot of them. They're talking to a lot of them.
Speaker 7: And running back to of course, got it. Get We got to get to that.
Speaker 3: I'm now about we do that when we come back here on Savannah. Shots in just a moment. Brought to you by.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can Crack's a kickoff? Tailgate's going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Mornings, Swagger Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly, twenty twenty three, Miliberal and Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 5: Did you know that're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's aa dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans.
Speaker 3: It's a sip.
Speaker 10: Away from perfection.
Speaker 7: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 10: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping a cool KETSI finish nachos better with PEPSI That's what I like.
Speaker 3: Shuts.
Speaker 6: Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth Camps, presented by Invisiline. Athletes of all scale levels ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best the summer at Ford Center at the Star Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Register before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash camps. Guys, we were just watching the ever whoever's the watching We're watching the combine highlights right.
Speaker 3: Now, highlights on there, and Everson is going, wow, look at that, Wow, look at that.
Speaker 4: What's his name? Reminds me, Everson? I did uh.
Speaker 3: This is twenty years ago Dallas Desperado's arena football game and Rocket Ismail I did a game with him. I was a play by play and Rocket was the analyst and this was the first time that he had ever seen in arena football game. Right, and so he was just amazed at Yeah. And so it was at Thank You, it would have I guess it maybe was at the AA. I guess it was at the AA. Yeah, that's right. I was thinking, sure enough where arena, but it was at the AAC anyway. So so Rocket is there and all you could say was wow, that was his color, that was his commentary.
Speaker 4: It was it came across great because.
Speaker 3: There's this, you know, the boyish enthusiasm that rock for everything it was. But it was like, this is the first time, and so I just was reminded that as ever since watching Xavier You're Worthy Runner four to two one.
Speaker 4: And I already told him about it, and wow, look at that look and.
Speaker 3: Then tell me try Mitchell the cornerback. So he's so Everson then starts telling another story and I said, oh, look at the screen, there's the cornerback from Toledo. And he starts looking at that. He goes, look at that from.
Speaker 4: What's the big man's name, what's the big man's name? Come on, man? That is wow. That wow.
Speaker 2: Watching him move all of that, that massive body going in different directions quickly, quickly, that is impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that's the thing. That's the thing I think that will throw people on the combine. Though, is in contrast to even twenty years ago, especially thirty years ago, the training that these prospects go through for two months, six weeks to eight weeks before the combine. They are being trained specifically for those drills combines, and so they are blowing up even a forty time. They are being taught by Michael Johnson, the world's the greatest sprinter, you know.
Speaker 7: That, Yeah, check for the combine that they're trying.
Speaker 3: To you know, being coached that you got to stay in a straight line when you run, You got to keep your head down whatever, you know, Whereas before, you know, guys would just run, you know. And that makes a huge difference in a four or five and a four eight.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't just make a huge difference at camp. I always believed in drills making you a better player. Yeah, I mean, so they're teaching them the right way to do it. You're going to need this exact technique when you get to the pros.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're doing in college right now, but you're gonna need this when you get to.
Speaker 2: The pro And I've always appreciated drills because they just get you ready. You know, they get you your body and your mind and your feet and they get them connected. Is nothing like having that that repetition, repetition, having that repetition to where you don't even have to think about it anymore.
Speaker 3: Which is why even I mean even late in the season, there's there's drills that professional athletes who have been doing this for thirty years, since they were five years old, who are doing these technique drills that they have to do as part of the process.
Speaker 4: I recall when I when I trained.
Speaker 2: You know, if you you didn't have the ability to have someone out there training with your wide receiver to train with, you could play other sports that have that same movement, that same abrupt movement. In my tennis, I used to tennis used to help me with my range, my latter movement because I had my sister taught me how to play.
Speaker 4: And there's some good guys I grew up what they could play.
Speaker 11: And when when when you're up on that net and you want to get that ball, you want to be able to reach going left or right, you know, it becomes instinctive when you're even training for another through another sport.
Speaker 2: And so that's why you always use other sports. As we just talked about, you use other sports to make you good. And what you do you just have to to be, you know, just one track minded and just train football drills is one thing. But when you get out there and you're playing baseball, you're playing basketball, even with when you're swimming, those things can be drawn upon to make you better at this particular sport.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we'll get back to free agency and everything, but just one one more thing on that. Okay. So now you see kids today okay and their parents. Okay, Johnny, he's he's got shows all this ability in football. I mean, he's just killing the sixth grade flag football. And so now or are this say, seventh grade and he's playing on his seventh grade team in pads tackle and then they got flag football in the spring. And so Johnny, instead of having Johnny play basketball and baseball, okay, Johnny's gonna instead play football. There's a winter flag football league and then there's a spring one too, and so he's gonna do football year round. Or take a basketball player. It happens all the time.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Basketball used to be a winter sport.
Speaker 4: Right now. It's every every season.
Speaker 3: There's a spring there's a winter league, there's a spring league, there's a summer league, there's a fall league, and so you play basketball year round whatever. And so what would you recommend if you've got a first athlete son or daughter, what is your recommendation to those parents on.
Speaker 4: What they should recommend that they go at their own pace.
Speaker 2: Do not let any coach tell you that he's just going to be this football player or basketball player going around to all of these camps back to back to back. You have to diversify. You just have to. You have to if you're in there at some point, if you're that player that can do all of that, then you need to do all of that. I mean, you know, I always say the more you can do, the more you can do, and trust me, it helps. I didn't get those interceptions just because I could track the ball. I got those inceptions because I could track the ball. And when I played basketball, the coach said get the ball in his highest.
Speaker 3: Point when you played center field and baseball.
Speaker 2: When you play centerfield baseball, that teaches you how to track the ball, you know, I mean, you can do all you want and if you got another wide receiver out there, and you're a defensive back. Okay, now we got the quarterback. He's gonna be Well, you can just play baseball and learn that, you know. So you need to take advantage of what you have the ability to do right now, because then your time gets a lot shorter as you get older. When you're young, you have that chance to go into all sports. When you get older, that's when things start whining. You start willing to down to really just.
Speaker 4: A couple of sports.
Speaker 2: You can't go three sports necessarily in high school.
Speaker 3: And you look at these draft prospects and so many of the best ones. There are multiple sport athletes in high school.
Speaker 2: First, to me, track is the best. To me soccer first. When you start off as you get older, especially your senior year in high school, if you're not running track, you should try to run track because the development that your body is ready to go through at sixteen, seventeen eighteen years old, it's ready for that leap. Because now you're going into seventeen eighteen years old, you're going to college. You're up there with I was seventeen years old. I'm going to get Doug Williams. He's twenty three. I mean, come on, so you're going against men. And now, of course with this COVID thing, you were talking about players coming out older.
Speaker 4: You gotta be ready, man, you have to. And that's what when you call it.
Speaker 3: Coaches, scouts, NFL, even in the NFL, they want to know, did you run track in high school? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's a lot more practice.
Speaker 2: Is the hardest practice I've ever had in my life. I've actually pulled the muscle in my butthole. That's just how I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Eighth grade. I couldn't even cut my yard. How could you cup a miles yard?
Speaker 7: Where's jug with a cowboy?
Speaker 4: We are on the air, right, What are we talking about anymore?
Speaker 3: Okay, what else is on your legal back?
Speaker 7: Alright, We're gonna get over to Michael Gallop, how about Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they obviously the Cowboys want to have some conversations with him about his future here in Dallas. Jerry made some comments last week about meeting with his agent, but they want to have a sound decision with Michael involved to see where he's going to be going in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, and he's he's under contract, and I'm going to pull up his contract right now and obviously what we're seeing with Michael with CD where he is, and Brandon Cooks and Jalen Tolbert, and there's some good wide receivers in this draft. Cowboys, you know, have to be interested in some of those wide receivers or that's a position you're always trying to supplement, you know, and you never know in the wide receiver you can find a really good wide receiver in the fifth round who's a lot cheaper. And obviously Michael's contract.
Speaker 4: For this year.
Speaker 3: He it's the third year of this deal, and his base salary is eight point five million dollars. His cap number is thirteen point eight million.
Speaker 4: Now the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys can save some money whatever. I think what's probably happening here when Jerry's talking about having a conversation with Michael and his agent is trying to figure out a way to reduce that base salary so that he can stay here and where there's a comfort zone for Michael here at the Cowboys too. The Cowboys love Michael, but his production has not been where it needed to be commensure with that money.
Speaker 2: And so then thirty nine catches four hundred and twenty four yards in twenty twenty two thirty four catches four hundred and eighteen yards in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to have those performers and so in a way, and then Michael will be left with it. And I'm just reading. No one has told me this or anything. I'm just speculating that this is probably what Jerry is looking at when he says that he he is going to have a conversation with Michael about it. I think they want them here, but they want it on a deal where that can benefit both sides. And even from Michael's standpoint, it could benefit him. He has a comfort level here with the Cowboys where, you know, if he were to be released, what is out what would be out there for him coming off those seasons that he's had and the injury that he had.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd like a realistic conversation with our trainers in regards to coming off with these injuries.
Speaker 4: And we talked about how that first year.
Speaker 2: You know, this is something that we really didn't talk about in the past, about what it's like to come off of a major off of major surgery after missing.
Speaker 3: Especially when that was late in the season like that. It was a February surgery too.
Speaker 4: How does how much? Because he's not going to say it.
Speaker 2: Look, the player is not going to say, hey, I'm still feeling something or I can't my leg is not as powerful as it was based on the surgery. He's not going to say that. You know, he's going to go out there and say, hey, I feel good, I'm going out here, I'm going to play every week. I'm going to play. But your production is going down each year. And so the trainers to me need to have a real conversation of do you get that buffer year after surgery? You know, is the second year you know, has it has it been? If you track all the injuries and surgeries that we've had, have they had this this this one year that was a buffer year? And did they come back in the second year and do even better? That's something they need to assess, the performance assess. That's something they need to assess. And I think it would be very interesting. That's theon that that should be the decisions you make should be based on that finding. Because you know, he was one of the more athletic receivers I've ever seen. We had a thousand yards was a few years ago. I mean, really some of the moves he made the more underrated moves out ever seen by wide receiver, and he made him into successful place. I don't know about getting back to that, but can he get better then last year and get close to that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: And his birthday is today, twenty eight years old today, it kind of gets back, Okay, a week from now, if he's out there in the free agent market where there's a ton of wide receivers out there, there's a ton of really good wide receivers in the draft, what kind of money's going to be out there for him at age twenty It kind of gets back to what I was saying that twenty six is the prime spot for a free agent where you get the big buck, which is what he was two years ago when he got.
Speaker 4: The big bucks.
Speaker 3: And now he's twenty eight, and so I think the players have to realistically, with good advice from their agent, look at what the market is out there and make the best decision for themselves.
Speaker 4: I think have to look at this game on both sides.
Speaker 2: First, you talk about, you know, players are getting younger, that's true, but you also talk about the techniques that they have now when they train even older players.
Speaker 4: That's something that needs to be considered.
Speaker 2: Older players may still have a place in this league simply because of their discipline and you know, the way that they carry themselves throughout the season. So I think they need to start taking a better look at older players because these techniques that they have these days, it's improving them as well, and it's affecting their longevity in a good way.
Speaker 6: And even taking a look at some of those younger players that you already have and giving them the ability to step up in a way as well if that vet is not excelling in a certain area. I mean, like you said, Jalen Tolbert, Jalen Brooks, you know you can kind of take a look at these guys and say, hey, they made some plays for us already.
Speaker 4: Yes, you did.
Speaker 3: I mentioned it looks like three quarterbacks should go in the first three picks in the draft of Caleb Williams, the quarterback.
Speaker 4: From usc ever soon.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you heard this or not, but at the combine, he didn't do a physical okay, which is common. I mean that's one of the main reasons that it is the most important reason probably that you have a combine is that you can go even for the player's standpoint, they can go to one place do a physical that every team has access to the results, and he doesn't have to do it everyplace else that he goes then, and so that he decided he's not going to do a physical there, he'll go. He'll do a physical at whatever, wherever team he visits, whatever, he'll do a physical. So he's going to So he's going to have to do a physical in Chicago, and he'll have to do one with Washington, he'll have to do one.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get Ever, Sin's take on it. What else about Caleb.
Speaker 4: Out? They also want a piece of the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was what came out before, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his dad, His dad said they want where the team he goes to, they want minority stop.
Speaker 3: Interesting, that's not he's gonna that's for in a position. I like that he's in a position of leverage. I like her trying to make the make the motion.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that's the first person to even think of that. I don't think they're allowed to do that. They're not allowed No, okay, you're not allowed to be You're not allowed to own a piece of the team. And actually I'm really sure.
Speaker 3: You know what their answer to that is when Jerry Jones about the Cowboys, you weren't able to do a lot of the marketings.
Speaker 2: How you're gonna take a bankrupt team and then you get to keep all your proceeds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come on.
Speaker 3: They want to change the rules, go bigger.
Speaker 2: Rules can't be changed, huh. And with me though, I was never in this position, but I've heard stories. Dion was one of them. And also Wild Springs told me this story about because Shawn Springs when he was coming out, he was a stud. And so you know, you had people, the scouts come around there and they try to bully the player sometimes, Hey I need you to do this. I need to do that, I needs to do that. So I think it was the Giants scout. He came around and he wanted Sean to run a forty, and I think he had already done enough. And you know, Sean was playing the you know, the bougie you know, I'm the man type thing, which they deserve. And so the guy goes.
Speaker 4: Out, well, hey man, I need you, I need you to run for me. He said. Ron goes, well, what team are you with? He said?
Speaker 2: The Giants he said, don't worry, he won't be around by that. You won't even want to be around by that.
Speaker 11: And I think had a similar such situation to where he ran his forty I.
Speaker 2: Believe, like, hey, I want you to run for me, like, well, who are you with? Well, no, I won't even be around by.
Speaker 3: So do you think there are teams that would okay Caleb dictating things, that know, we're going to do it this way, or Dion in that case five years ago, whatever? Do you think there are NFL teams that would say I don't want any part of that. That's a red flag.
Speaker 4: You know. It's just like the other time.
Speaker 2: You if the risk is worth it, if the risk is worth the reward, then you take them. You're gonna take him.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at LT. Look at long As Taylor. I mean, come on, he had issues all not.
Speaker 2: Just before he got drafted, but all through his career and up till this day. Yet he's still LT and everybody gives him a pass for being LT. And I'm all for that as well. That's my classmate, So I'm good.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: I think we survived an hour without Mickey, we did think.
Speaker 4: I think we.
Speaker 3: Flourished I think we did too.
Speaker 4: All the shots.
Speaker 3: He's going to cut short his vacation, get back here as quickly as POSSI and see if his name is still in the lineup.
Speaker 2: Next Monday, he'll be in another time, we'll be we'll be Savannah Shots.
Speaker 4: He'll be with some you're giving back to Jesse. We'll produce your supreme sitting in the giving back to Jesse. No, well, I produce your supreme sitting in that seat. There you go. Okay, it comes back next Monday.
Speaker 3: All four of us be sitting here and.
Speaker 4: Want to raise after that, Chris, I want to raise after that.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, next Monday will be an hour away from free agency.
Speaker 4: I may not be here.
Speaker 7: What you wait to break it to us?
Speaker 4: Just let me know.
Speaker 2: Off the commercial. I didn't know that they were having to sale on burgers. What Yeah, the post is right here, buddy.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So Everson might be in a deep negotiations with an NFL team next Monday. So all right, until then, we will see you again on the sedition of Savannah Shots, brought to you by.
Speaker 4: Miller Line Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Cowboy