Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 3: Jeff, Yes, here we are.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeff Garland and you're Susie Sman. Oh no, Susie Smen. You're Jeff Garland.
Speaker 3: And this is I love that you corrected it, like you went in for the correct like people, Wait a minute, that's a woman's name, and all right, whatever.
Speaker 2: A boy named Sue? Season five, episode eight.
Speaker 3: Do you know that song? I know, you know it's a Johnny Cash song. Yeah, but do you know that song? Which is a great song. It's about a guy who had all these trouble being named Sue, and then he gets get into a fight with a guy at a bar and it turns out to be his dad who named him Sue, and then they make amends and they move on. But it's really funny. It's a great song, and.
Speaker 1: This is a great episode. Yes, how's that segue? This episode is near perfect.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 3: Deftly an all time favorite with great cast people.
Speaker 2: And Larry has told me it just very well might be his favorite.
Speaker 3: To be in real time. He texted you this morning you told.
Speaker 1: Him yes, and told me yes, and he told me that and he is in particular no in this episode.
Speaker 3: David Hall of Fame performance so funny, by the way, each of us have, all four of us have really strong moments in this all four of us. Yes, but Larry as the Orthodox Jew, are you kidding me? And there was one phrase that I caught him up. I remember what it was, but I knew Larry knew, but it was so believable. Yeah, I mean, And this.
Speaker 1: Was directed by Larry Charles this episode. And we start out that Larry is with Richard Lewis at his bedside, and Lewis is, of course in black silk pajamas.
Speaker 2: You know, I love that he's like in black silk pajamas.
Speaker 1: And Lewis says to him, you look fantastic, and Larry, well, I was never a drug addict or an alcoholic. I never slept with a lot of strange women, although I would have liked to. But like he's digging it into Lewis it's kind of mean, you know, because Lewis was a drug addict and an alcoholic and all that kind of stuff. And Lewis says, are you're gonna give me the kidney knot? And Larry says, well, what about Louis Lewis, who is still in a coma? And Richard Lewis says, you know, coma's a unpredictable and I'm so low on the kidney transplant list that there's a list for getting an organ donor. And Lewis is very, very very low, and he says, look at look at the Mick, and he shows a picture of Richard Lewis with Mickey Mantle, because Mickey Mantle got a liver transplant. If you re right, I do yes, And he would, you know, because he was Mickey Mantle.
Speaker 2: He got the liver immediately. He didn't have to wait on a list.
Speaker 1: And there's a ball in front and Mickey Mantle got his liver boom, and Larry says to Lewis, well, if you were a bigger celebrity, you'd probably go.
Speaker 2: Up on the list.
Speaker 1: So he's really being kind of mean to Lewis, but it's funny and Richard says, to see that ball, that's the mix five hundredth home run, and it's in my will, it's yours, and it's worth around twenty grand.
Speaker 2: And we see the nurse in the background listening to all this in.
Speaker 3: All sincerity, Mickey Mantle's five hundred home run ball at that point, in that time, that would probably be worth three hundred thousand dollars. Yeah, now, way more. I mean probably ten million dollars. I'm to a collector that probably, oh, oh, come on, it's the Yankees. There's two quintessential Yankees oh three.
Speaker 2: Four Choe Tamagi, Babe Ruth, Babe.
Speaker 3: Ruth, Georgia Maja, Luke Carrig and Mickey Mickey Mannal yeah, and so Mickey Mantle's five under the home run ball. I'm sorry if you're a Yankee fan, which they're the most popular team in all of baseball. They're also the probably the least part they're just by the way, I have so much respect for the Yankees, and I'm sorry that I know that's your favorite team. Not this season, well, the Cubs. This year was kind of heartbreaking, but I'm used to that with the Cubs. Although it was a great accomplishment this year, it's not called Baseball Talk with Susie and Jeff anyhow, Yeah, you never know how high that ball could go. It could go up to like fifty million. Let's say you're a billionaire and you love Mickey Mantle and the Yankees, and to you then where would you stop? Where would you stop? Ya?
Speaker 2: So what's it to you?
Speaker 1: So the nurse is in the background overhearing this discussion about the ball and how much it's worth. And then I love this moment where Lewis says, do the mick running around the basis and Larry does that little run that he does, which is his invitation, which is great.
Speaker 3: I love when real relationship stuff comes into play, right now. I make Larry do things that kill me all the time, and a lot of them make it into the show. And that's one between Larry and Richard that they've laughed about for hours, and here it is in the show. And by the way, so damn funny, so damn funny.
Speaker 2: So funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Larry says to Richard, do you like this sweater? And Richard says, if you're doing an Andy William summer show, which is such a Lewis line.
Speaker 3: Oh, that is such a Lewis line. You say, such a Lewis line. There's only two people who did humor like that, okay, where they would do the reference that hipsters would get. Lenny Bruce Richard Lewis list stops there. Yeah, because I'm pretty good at it. But these guys, you know, I mean home Richard Lewis when he says like I for that moment, there is nothing, as far as I have concerned, there's nothing funnier Richard Lewis saying it's not just Andy Williams, It's Summer Special Special exactly.
Speaker 1: It's the detail. It's the detail that's that's what you can't teach. That's what is just in Richard Lewis's crazy comedic brand.
Speaker 3: You know, as time goes on. He's always been a hero of mine since I'm a kid. But I appreciate his comedy more and more and more and more all the time. It really I gotta tell him that. Well, he knows I love him and he's a he means the world to me, both off stage and on. But I'm going to tell him that because his comedy, especially on.
Speaker 1: This show, well, when we were when we were coming up, you know, Richard Lewis was like a king.
Speaker 3: Well remember Carnegie Hall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sold that Carnegie Hall in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Ask him now, if you're a tickety tech I love saying it wrong, a TikTok person. You could sell out a week at Carnegie Hall.
Speaker 2: But you know who cares those days? It was different?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, well of course, and all those days everything's over.
Speaker 1: But when when I was coming up, you know, Richard was no, I mean heed it, he was it.
Speaker 3: And then he became one of these stars that came out Jane Lenno, the other from Late Night with David Letterman. Look, Richard Lewis was always a big deal, but once he started doing the Letterman Show, he became an actual star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, star.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, and now we get to call him friend, which is lovely.
Speaker 3: I really I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Still, I'm going to actually call him when we're done and tell him how we were raving about him.
Speaker 3: And by the way, he enjoys that more than mister Richard Lewis.
Speaker 1: And Lewis says to Larry, I love you, Larry Man. If my cousin stays in that coma, I'm depending on you. And you just cut to Larry's face, which is just pure terror, you know.
Speaker 2: And he's in the hallway of Lewis's house. He's leaving. And Lisa, who is the nurse who is played by Mo Collins.
Speaker 3: And Mo Collins fucking awesome. Yeah, she's just great and the.
Speaker 2: Love terrific actress.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: And she says that was nice of him to give you the ball, and then she tells Larry that she used to date Jeff.
Speaker 4: You have a good time with him, well until things got you know, intimate, it was fun, you know, he was.
Speaker 3: He's kind of a slam bam, thank you, ma'am kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Right, No, not really at all. No slamming, no bamon, no thanking the mam. She was a little it was short lived, was the problem.
Speaker 3: He was like that.
Speaker 4: I mean it was dark, but honest to god, it was like that.
Speaker 3: What are you kidding?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not kidding, Jeff. Yeah, very small, very small. It's like a peanut, that little.
Speaker 3: Very you know. Wait, way too much information here, Okay.
Speaker 4: I actually thought you would have known that.
Speaker 2: Can I know such a thing.
Speaker 4: I just would think that the something that friends men would talk about.
Speaker 3: Nobody ever talks about that.
Speaker 2: She says it was very short lived.
Speaker 1: And then she does this, she holds up her fingers for people who can't see that are just listening into like an inch mode, which is the symbol for very small penis. Yes, and she's like, I thought you would have known, which is bizarre.
Speaker 2: Why would he not? Yes, if Jeff has a small penis?
Speaker 1: And next thing we know, Jeff and Larry are sitting on either side of Louis Lewis's Okay Cooma bed to start this.
Speaker 3: Scene being one of the most popular scenes in the history of the show, Okay, I would say, that's my number one of people coming up to me asking me to do that in pictures, we'll get to it. But as you're a fan, you know what it is. But the idea that Larry and I are sitting and having a conversation on either side of the bed, not even acknowledging the guy who's in a coma between us, Lewis Lewis, So that's set up A yeah, is already a home run.
Speaker 2: Even it's a visual that's very funny.
Speaker 3: Even if we just ent a regular conversation, the scene's funny.
Speaker 1: But then so Jeff says, you know, comes run partictable, and Larry says, hey, I ran into uh Louis's nurse Lisa, and she said she had a thing with you. And then Larry tells you that she told me that you had, you know, this big, a very small penis, and Jeff immediately gets offended, as he should, and says.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, big vagina, gigantic vagina? What big is vagina known to man? Huge? You're kidding? Are you telling me the truth? It's gigantic, gigantic.
Speaker 5: So why is she going around making this.
Speaker 3: Is because maybe she's afraid that you'll find out she has a big vagina. Why would you even do that? I don't even know nipping it in the bud? How dare she? I'll tell you what. I bet you there's a ton of guys out there who've been labeled with small penis. I bet your fifty percent, isn't it? And it's a big vagina, yeh? Think of it biologically?
Speaker 5: Why should they be as many big vaginas as there are small?
Speaker 3: Right? These big vagina ladies are getting away with murder. See this is the thing about impro But this is the thing about improvising when you're really being true to it. I put zero thought into what I was going to do with my hands, you know what I mean. There was no like what do I do? Or it says in the script Jeff makes a v or there's nothing about it. And then in the moment, no, it didn't say that, didn't say it in the outline, but in that moment, especially because I'm playing worked up, and if you listen to last recording you can see I can get worked up. It was just boom and then both my hands like a giant vagina, and then Larry repeating it back to me, back and forth. And it introduced something to the zeitgeist. And I'm not I'm talking about Larry's writing. If you will, Yes, people come up to me with the big vagina hands, and I'm talking about now it's slowed down to once or twice a month, but it used to be once every few days. Well you know, has it? But the premise of because small penises have always been a small penis, small penis. But you never hear big vagina. Now we never hear big At his desk as he's writing this goes I mean, at first, I don't know what small penis, how it came into his mind or whatever, or if he's searching, but then it occurs to him, No, big vagina. That alone is what I'm talking about Zeitgeist. Because every man said, yeah, one about that?
Speaker 1: What about then you two go into it, you two like fifty percent labeled small penises might just be the big vagina, and why shouldn't there be as many big vaginas as small penises? And you say, these big vagina ladies are getting away with murder and they ate.
Speaker 2: Larry's like, they love this, they love this, the.
Speaker 3: Small penises and from now on on this yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: This from now with the v in the hands.
Speaker 1: And then the doctor enters and the doctor tells him that he's on to him. It's the same doctor that we saw last episode. I'm on to you, mister David. You're waiting for this man to die so that you don't have to give mister Lewis the kidney, by the way.
Speaker 2: And Larry's like, pretty good work. No, no, no, no, you got me.
Speaker 3: First, he denies it. Why would you say something like that? He goes, you know, the doctor goes, no, I know it, and then Larry just there's a beat and he goes, hey, good work, good work, you're right work. And then he turns to me to be impressed with the doctor, like, did you see the good work he did? Very fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And then you ask if he and Cheryl want to go skiing with us because you rented a chalet, and he's like, no, it's too much of a schlep. No, no, no, no, And then both of you see George Lopez in the hall of the hospital. Yes, and George Lopez did in fact have a kidney transplant in real life.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes. By the way, his wife at the time gave him her kidney and Lopez gave him her kidney. Yes, which I say is the ultimate of giving. Yes, the only thing I would be a heart transplant, but that would mean one of you were dead, even the one you.
Speaker 2: Can live with just one kidney. So yeah, ladies.
Speaker 3: And gentlemen, we only have one heart.
Speaker 2: Only one heart.
Speaker 3: Keep it up. Hold on, I've got a message.
Speaker 2: Some people's are large.
Speaker 3: No, keep it open and keep it warm. What if I close everyone of my stand up shows with that? Ladies and gentlemen, You know we all have one heart. Let's keep him open and keep them warm. Good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, do you know what I always hated when a comedian would apologize, you know what, we kid because we love or whatever they would say.
Speaker 3: I always porch belt, and actually.
Speaker 2: I hated it.
Speaker 3: No. The only guy who did it that I just love the way he did it was Rickles, because Rickless would talk about we love each other people, and then he would sing a song like a ballad of some sort. Yeah, and I love that and and by the way.
Speaker 1: That's fine for him. I never felt like I wanted to apologize.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no you it would be false. I like ending with gratitude for them, because now especially I actually thanked the audience for even leaving their homes. Forget that they came to see me to congratulate them on leaving their homes. You know. But there was a guy in Chicago who used to say, everybody, you know, as I liked, I swear, this was his ending every time, and of course every comedian made fun of it. Everybody, hey, thanks for coming to night. And as I always say, live, love, laugh, and that was his closer every time, And of course moments before he closed. Comedians would run into the room to watch him do it to hear yes, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Because comedians are mean in a good way.
Speaker 1: So George Lopez tells him he feels great, and you guys say, Louis is at the bottom of the list, and he Lopez says, if somebody's got to step up, if you're at the bottom of the list, your fuck.
Speaker 2: But then he gives the information that there's a guy who's the head of the Kidney Consortium, which is such a thing as the Kidney Consort.
Speaker 3: By the way, how funny you say that, because when we were doing the scene that was a big topic of discussion with us of like what we consortium? Can you know I don't remember it was in the script or how should George it's consortium if I believe.
Speaker 1: I don't know, But anyway, he said, George says, there's a guy who's the head of the kidney Foundation and he could be gotten to so you should buddy up to him, kiss his ass. His name is Ben Heineman. And then Larry's at home and Omar Jones is there, and he asked, Larry says, can you get me some information on this guy? Ben Heinemann and Cheryl enters and she meets Omar for the first time, and Omar closes his at shadcase with the handcuffs in it, and he leaves, and Cheryl bought Larry a new ski jacket and Larry tries it on and Cheryl says, you could wear it when we go skiing with Susie and Jeff, and Larry says, no, I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go too much.
Speaker 1: Schlepping, and then he's Larry sees a bag, a plastic bag that Omar left and it's edible undies in the bag and he goes running out to give it to Omar, but he's missed him, so he just stuffs it in the ski jacket.
Speaker 3: Can see it.
Speaker 2: Try the ski jacket, he guess.
Speaker 3: I want I want to say about this. If this were the only funny thing in the episode, it's worth the journey. There's so many gems through this episode that it's kind of hard to believe. And also to set up edible underwear for something that happens later. And also what I love about it is Omar Jones the way we've estabbed edible underwear, but again I buy that, like I'm going on the journey with that.
Speaker 2: He's a religious man. Yes, you know we've established Oh.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm always complaining about this, this and this, like bongos in Larry's bedroom what have you? But this, I buy this is all good. Like I don't think what's he doing? Like you never know? But still loved it. Keep going.
Speaker 2: So he puts the box in his coat pocket.
Speaker 1: And then Larry's in his office on the phone with Omar Jones and he's finding out about Hyneman. He's a Yankee fan, he's an Orthodox Jew. He's got a gold Cadillac. He gives him the plate number, and you walk in and you guys try to figure out how are you gonna befriend this Ben Heineman And Larry's if I could save his life, like for example, if you, Jeff push him off the roof and I save his life, And you're.
Speaker 2: Like, at what point?
Speaker 1: At no point does he ask you about the fat guy who pushed you off the roof, you know, But I was like, oh, not that, not that version.
Speaker 3: Larry makes it easy for me. We throw each other softballs. Now, his softball to me is unintentional, whereas he he hats the scenario, having no way idea what I'm going to say back. But all I have to do every time is just question what he just said the logic. Speaking of logic, all I do is question what he just said. And it's funny. So he does that for me every time, and for me, I will say things where I know where he's gonna go with it, and it's fun. I'm just obviously it's fun. But he makes it easy for me to have those moments with him. He sets you up well unintentionally because you know normally, but you know I do.
Speaker 1: I do think though, Jeff, that you know and I notice it, you know more in the later seasons. We've been doing this together, all of us for so long that we read each other's minds. I mean, there's a dialogue of the unconscious going on at all times.
Speaker 3: I think one one of the best ones I ever did was him with the dishes in the water, and I say, you have special hands. You don't remember that you were in the scene.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I got it, but but I just tell him, what do you have special hands? Something about him and dishes and hot water and the owl keep going oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I do remember that.
Speaker 1: And then we see Larry comes up with an idea, but we don't hear what it is. We just cut to you guys are in a parking lot looking for the cadillac. Now, of course this doesn't make sense. How would you know where the guy's cadillac was unless it's his place of work or something.
Speaker 3: June set us up, but good.
Speaker 1: Set us up, okay, And we see the first attempt, you smash into the tailgate and it's nothing. Nothing happens, and then you get out of the car because you don't want to stay in the car and get whiplash. You tell him to try again and he gives it a good smash this time in the airbit goes off and he's all full of crap all over his face and you have to pull him out of the car.
Speaker 3: We shot that's a Pacific Design Center. Very interesting buildings, yes, but we shot that bag exploding. Oh my god, with Larry with the powder. He's such a sport with all this ship. Yeah.
Speaker 2: How many times did you shoot that? Probably just once or twice more than that really.
Speaker 3: And then at a certain point all we had to do was have the thing already blown up and Larry getting out. But it was it was that was difficult to shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's a lot of choreography for that kind of a thing, you know. And then we see that Larry leaves a note on the windshield of the Cadillac. And next week cut to again pleasant music and where is He's Deli?
Speaker 3: Which no longer exists as far as I know.
Speaker 2: Right, it was a centemon.
Speaker 3: It was also a regular deli, but we've created an orthodox deli. And then Larry comes.
Speaker 1: In and Larry, Larry's wearing a like a short sleeve striped shirt, which is not his style at all.
Speaker 3: Also tucked in, tucked in.
Speaker 2: Tucked in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and he walks in and he's you know, s Ben, And all of a sudden he has this accent which is like, I don't know what the fuck it is.
Speaker 2: It's the funniest thing I've ever heard of my life. Mister, mister, how are you, sir?
Speaker 5: What a great, great pleasure to meet you.
Speaker 2: It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have that sit down please, thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I'm I'm a little late you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a misfit it was for you?
Speaker 3: To leave that note on my car. Well, how could I do anything less than that.
Speaker 5: I'd have to be a sociopath to hit somebody's car and then and then go away into the night as if nothing happened.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: What happened? I was listening to Jewish radio and they were talking about Israel, and I got so worked up I lost control of my car.
Speaker 3: May offer you so much, please, Marty Manus, Please it's kosh if you know that.
Speaker 5: Oh, say wait a second, hello, no, no, no, no, no, uh, thank you, thank you for that invitation. But I cannot go to the baseball game on the Sabbath. I'm sorry, it's impossible. I'll take a rain check. However, Oh okay.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what the accent was gonna be until he opened his mouth.
Speaker 2: I guarante did it.
Speaker 3: That's the point about improv You cannot prepare. And I've already told stories of Richard Lewis writing stuff down on a card and like sticking it where the sugar is at a table, and then Larry or I pulling it away, him getting pissed. But he's so much better, you know, being in the moment.
Speaker 2: Ben Heineman is played by Stuart Penkin.
Speaker 3: Stuart Penkin very funny actor, delightful man. But when I was a kid, he was in a movie called Hollywood Knights with Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Wooll, Tony Danza, and he played this nerdy guy who to me was the funniest thing in the movie.
Speaker 2: He's brilliant as Ben Heineman.
Speaker 3: Oh he really is, no, no brilliant, you know.
Speaker 1: So they introduced themselves and Ben speaks some Hebrew, to which Larry's response was, he's just clearly does not know what the hell he's talking about.
Speaker 3: But not only that, he doesn't put a big spin on it. He doesn't lightly so you wouldn't notice.
Speaker 2: And then he goes into this whole story.
Speaker 1: I'd have to be a sociopath to have just walked away.
Speaker 2: I was listening to Jewish radio.
Speaker 1: I got so worked off by lost control of the car.
Speaker 3: Jewish radio.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then Ben, very gracious, can I offer you some lunch?
Speaker 2: It's kosher?
Speaker 3: By the way, forget that Larry wrote the episode. Okay, his performance in this episode top the bottom.
Speaker 2: I mean fantastic.
Speaker 3: I mean it's this may be his best performance in the history of the show. I think it could be.
Speaker 2: It could be.
Speaker 1: And then Larry's phone rings and he's like, excuse me a minute, a little flip vote. I cannot go to the baseball game on the sabbath. And then you know, because he knows the guy's a Yankee fan, and that Ben Heineman tells him he watches television on the sabbath and Jeff.
Speaker 2: You're not looking.
Speaker 1: Larry goes like this, then some more fake heep brew yes, and then Ben says, there's two things that I love, by the way, stuffed back.
Speaker 3: By the way, Larry loved the scene with you and him on the couch with the yeah. But later you have seen he loved how much it made me laugh like he was. He was so happy that he was destroying me, destroying money. No, but I mean I would approach the table, you know when usually notes are given whatever, with tears in my eyes. And it just thrilled him that.
Speaker 2: He killed me just so I wasn't here. So but it was just so funny.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back, and then Ben says, there's two things in my life that I love besides family, I love baseball and I love skiing.
Speaker 2: And Larry's like, oh my yammacka almost fill off.
Speaker 1: I have a little ski lodge and he invites Ben to your ski lodge. This scene is just it's fantastic. Larry is with Lisa. He Lewis is with Lisa and he says, I spoke to her mutual friend. I mentioned the small penis and Lisa says, was he upset? And Larry says rather. He says, rather it was with your big vagina and he does the hand gesture again huge. You blame it on the small penis and you've got a huge vagina.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: And then he's talking to Lewis. This guy's ahead of the whole thing. He's gonna go skiing with me. He's a huge Yankee fan. Let me give him the mantle ball and Lewis is like, are you out of your mind? And then they notice that the ball is missing and Larry looks for it. It's not behind the cabinet, nothing, and he says, who's been here? And Louis says, you know, just the nurse, a few friends. And Louis says, I see her leaving in the same uniform. There's no pockets or anything. She couldn't have taken the ball, and Larry starts thinking unless and then Lisa enters the nurse and he's like the Mickey Mantle ball is missing, and he says, can a ball worth in the excess of twenty thousand dollars just disappear? And then she says, Jim, what are you driving at? And then he does his Perry Mason and he pulls his glasses off.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I'm driving at.
Speaker 5: I submit, you took that baseball, stashed it and you're unusually large vagina and walk right on out of here.
Speaker 3: So the way he plays this is like a great detective who's waited for this moment. Yeah to say in the parlor, in that he's sitting here, Cliro, he's barrow. And again the performance like this to me is Larry my favorite Larry David performance in this episode. Everything he does destroys me in this episode.
Speaker 2: And you're usually large vagina, it kills me.
Speaker 1: I agree, And Lewis's face is just you know, priceless there and then we cut to dinner at our house. It's the four of us having dinner at our house. Cheryl, Larry, Jeff and Susie and Larry says, have you seen my cell phone? He asks Cheryl, So we've established that his cell phone is gone. And then we start discussing skiing, and all of a sudden, Larry's wants to go skiing, and I'm excited because Cheryl and I are going to go snowboarding, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And then Larry says, I hope you don't mind, but I've invited an.
Speaker 1: Orthodox Jew and his daughter, and I'm just like, what even Orthodox jewice? Just some random Orthodox Jew? And he tells us he's head of the Kidney Consortium. And I just say, let's just be clear. You know, do you want to get Lewis up on the list and you want to go get out of you having to give him the kidney? And I don't, I don't know to spend the weekend with these people. And Larry goes into a complete a queen scene, but he.
Speaker 3: Says, the cut the cutting, and I loved it. But that's not the worst part.
Speaker 2: Boom now.
Speaker 1: And what's interesting what I recall Jeff is in that scene we played out the whole thing where he told me I was going to have to play his.
Speaker 2: Wife and we went through that.
Speaker 1: Remember that, Yeah, So we went through that whole thing, but it's better that it was cut where it.
Speaker 3: Was, Oh, that's an effiicient cut. But you know what's funny to me, and I'm just noticing this now, is when you're quoting yourself, Yeah, you just are playing the part again. You're just like you're recreating what actually happened in the episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, but yeah, so originally we had gone through a whole thing where he tells us that I have to play his wife because he can't have the shiksa you guysha wife Cheryl. But that was cut, and that was a great cut. I remember when I first saw it, it was like, oh, that was smart. That was a really good cut. And we cut to the chalet and there we are sitting on a couch. I got some schmatta on my head and Larry has his arm around me, and I'm like, looking at it, it's like, you know, get your fucking hands off me, and you and Cheryl are a couple, and Larry and I are a couple, and I sitting on the.
Speaker 3: Couch the least believable as Cheryl and I. Well, now like if you don't know and you're watching the show, which of these people are couples. They would pick you and Larry and they would definitely want to say you.
Speaker 2: And why not? What I disagree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Well, for our viewers, there are many reasons.
Speaker 1: Larry says, she's a wonderful cook, my susie, and he puts his arm around me. And then Rachel asked how we met, and I say, at a Hillel function.
Speaker 2: Now, let me tell you this. I had no idea what Hillel is.
Speaker 1: I just pulled that word out of my head that I heard it somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's it's the Jewish groups on.
Speaker 2: The college campuses. But I did not know that when I said that.
Speaker 1: So when she came back and she said, oh, so you met in college, I was like, oh, okay, I guess so. Because I didn't know what Hillel was. I just knew that it was an organization, so I just said hello. And then Larry starts talking about that he was in a band and he sang Jewish folk songs and Rachel, oh, let's say, we didn't even Rachel is played by Ariese Barr.
Speaker 2: We didn't even say that yet.
Speaker 1: Reese Barr is a wonderfully talented comedic actress. She did that whole series where she played Svetlana, which was a Russian prostitute.
Speaker 3: But by the way, she lives in Israel.
Speaker 2: She back and forth.
Speaker 1: She lives part of the time in Israel and part of the time in New York in la but really really funny. She does a lot of one person shows and a lot of different characters, so she's playing very talented and she's playing Rachel. She says, so, what songs did you sing? And Larry says, Noel Fish, hold.
Speaker 3: On sing here. When he says, Larry, David and the hipsters, well that's later.
Speaker 2: That comes up first.
Speaker 1: He says, the song skaffilter fish blues. My freaking back is killing me and it's making it hard to covel. And then Cheryl says, what was the name of your band?
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I had hold on hold on though I had to have whispered that to her, because that's like my relationship with Larry, like the way of giving him a home run ball. That's why I know for sure I would wager everything I owned that I wish to ask him what the name of the band was, because you know, there's no by the way, you know, Cheryl, there's no way she's going to ask that. She's my mouthpiece on that one. And then of course he says Larry David and the Hipsters. Now in the show, it cuts to me Cheryl and I nodding.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, uh huh.
Speaker 3: Where in reality in that moment, the minute Larry David and the Hipsters comes out of his mouth and I do not break. I exploded. I could not, do you remember? I just I was what's the working? That is it inconsolable when you're laughter too? But I could not.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's inconsolable. But there's another word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just exploded Larry David and then the hiking Hipsters, And.
Speaker 1: Then of course the hipsters went out on their own and became quite successful.
Speaker 2: And he just became Larry David.
Speaker 3: By the way, again, Larry, there's a term and improv explore in heighten, which means whatever anyone gives you, embrace it and then say something else that lifts it, and you go back and forth. And of course the hipsters went out on their own and they were very successful. Again, I explode with laughter and it's delayed.
Speaker 1: And none of that. The hipsters the gefilter fish. But none of that was planned. That was all in the moment. I'm just letting our audience know that. You know that, But I'm letting our audience know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But also part of the reason Larry laughs so much and breaks on the show is because he sits and he writes this, and then when it's actually happening, it tickles him, especially when somebody takes the ball and runs with it, you know, and it's a soccer game in his head, which is strange in a lot of touchs. I don't know, you.
Speaker 1: Did chuckle at that, you lose it, And then I say I was not attracted to him. I felt sorry for him. I had Rachmuna's pity. I taken stray animals. And Ben says, you remind me of my wife. All of a sholom, now, all of a sholem is like rest in peace is what that means?
Speaker 2: And Larry says, I would like to meet her, which is a You see Rachel ding ding ding going off. How did he not know what ali a sholem means?
Speaker 3: Well, very early on in the scene, she just is not buying Rachel is very suspicious.
Speaker 1: But that was a moment that I you know that I noticed and aggravated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, suspicious and very aggravated.
Speaker 2: She died six years ago.
Speaker 1: She passed away six And Larry's like, eh, eh, that whole thing, and Rachel's face is suspicious. And then Larry says to Ben, what do you do? And Ben tells him that he's head of the kidney Foundation, he says. Then Larry tells him about Richard Lewis.
Speaker 5: He says, I would give him my own kidney if only we were a match, but unfortunately that's the lass.
Speaker 3: That is not the case.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, Okay, I would give him my own kidney if we were a match, but alas that is not the case. Like suddenly he's speaking in these biblical kinds of alas the case, and then some more Hebrew, some more that, and Rachel says, excuse me, because she knows he's faking it. He's not really speaking in Hebrew. And then we cut to time to go to bed. Yes, and I throw Larry's pillows on the floor, cut to Cheryl throws yours pillows on the floor.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: And then I'm asleep and I'm tossing and turning, and he's tossing and turning. He can't seem to, you know, get comfortable, and so he climbs into bed and wakes me.
Speaker 2: Up and like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: And he's like, my yeah, I don't give a shit about your back yet on the floor.
Speaker 2: Get the fuck out of the bed.
Speaker 3: Blah blah.
Speaker 2: Now coming up now is one of my favorite scenes ever. It's the next morning.
Speaker 1: Larry comes into the kitchen and Cheryl is cooking and he's like, what's that smell. It's bacon. He's like, what are you crazy? You can't cook bacon. These people are orthodox, they can't have bacon. And then he's like, how'd you do last night? She's like I was fine. He's like I missed you and they hug and just as they're hugging, Rachel Reese bar walks in and ret Larry says, good morning.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: This was season five. For the rest of the seven seasons that we had, every time I would come into the makeup trailer and he was there, I would say good morning and we would laugh because it was just so funny. And Rachel brings in the plates and she says, are these the plates that we ate the pot roast on? Last night, And Cheryl's like, yes, they you know, yes they are. And She's like, where are the milk and milkchi? How do you pronounce that milk plates?
Speaker 3: You're asking someone who's not he has no idea.
Speaker 2: And but Larry's backing up, Yeah, where are the milky plates?
Speaker 1: Like Larry's just backing her up, like starts ganging up, But yeah, where are the milky plates?
Speaker 5: You were told about the milk plates?
Speaker 3: Was you not?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I have to bury the plate and we'll be done. I'm going to do what you have to bury the plate. Why would you.
Speaker 3: Bury a plate?
Speaker 2: What would you bury a plate? You have to bury the plate to purify. It has to go on your sure you probably.
Speaker 1: Have a whole set of china.
Speaker 2: Wash it and call it a day.
Speaker 3: Uh no, no, we can't wash it and call it a day. No, that's not how it works.
Speaker 2: Do you want to bury it? As the man of the house, you bury it.
Speaker 5: You'll bury, you'll bury. It's a little early for burying. I don't like to bury it before coffee.
Speaker 2: This is so Cheryl. She just says, why would you bury a plate? I love that? Why would you bury a plate?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And and Larry says, tell her, because Larry, of course has no idea, and Rachel tells her people.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, hold on, though Rachel nods at Larry to explain, yeah, yeah, Garry comes. Then Larry reacts at Cheryl again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the milk plate. The milky plate sits like scream, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then Cheryl says, well, can't you just wash it and call it a day? And lar said no, no, no, you can't just call it a day. And then Rachel says, would you like, as the man of the house, would you like to bury the plate?
Speaker 2: Lara?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, yeah, you bury. I don't like to bury before coffee. And then before she leaves, she's like, do I smell bacon? Larsay, no, I was a little guessy. I lit a match.
Speaker 2: And he says to Cheryl, you are a guest in this house. I love that whole scene.
Speaker 3: I love that, but I'm saying it's one after another that you're killing me. Big Vagina alone makes the episode.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back. Now.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Jeff, I don't recall was the milk it plates in the outline.
Speaker 3: Sure that was the premise of the scene. I'm guessing that it was, because why else would you have the scene she has her plate ready, Yes, so it had to have been in the outline.
Speaker 2: The milket plates.
Speaker 3: By the way, place do you remember where this place was?
Speaker 1: It was in Malibu, and I will tell you about And can I tell you something would happen that night after we left and it was a very long day of shooting, and it was late at night, and I got lost driving home with no GPS up in the canyons of Malibu. I was never so scared in my life.
Speaker 3: I was unless there's a full moon, it's it.
Speaker 1: Was pitch black, there's no houses, nothing. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.
Speaker 2: Somehow I figured out how to get out of there, but it took me about an hour.
Speaker 3: So you didn't stop at one.
Speaker 1: Weep no, I had to keep and the no GPS. GPS is one of the greatest inventions.
Speaker 3: Take a step back. Listen to the way you're saying, no GPS. How could people not think you're religious? How do people not think.
Speaker 2: Yourself I'm Jewish, just not religious.
Speaker 3: Extra bonus Jewish.
Speaker 1: All right, that's fine, But I'm not religious, and I was not brought up religious, so I don't know about milk.
Speaker 2: It plates a.
Speaker 1: Reese was brought up I believe Orthodox and knows all about and spent a lot of time in.
Speaker 3: Israel, and Larry relied on her. I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So next we're skiing and Larry's equipment, you know, he's got the skis and the boots and the schlep, and he's lugging a pit and then you two fall off the lift.
Speaker 2: It's all like a disaster. Jeff and Larry fall off the ski list.
Speaker 3: Can I say something, This was one of my saddest moments in the history of working on the show. Now watching it, it look fine. It was supposed to fit me physically a lot more than that, and I had never skied in my life. I never had skis on, and I was naturally awkward. Now in order we are awkward, yes, but if you can ski, you're comfortable in them.
Speaker 2: But if you're not used to them, you got these huge things on your feet.
Speaker 3: So I in order to be a good physical comedian, you have to be able to do what it is you're you know, you have to know how to ski in order to act like you're falling over. I couldn't do it, but I remember, well, you know, Larry Charles can get frustrated. But I remember Larry, it was the only time this ever happened in the history of the show. I saw them away from me, whispering to one another, and I know the conversation was, he can't fucking do this. I know he can't. Like they were frustrated with.
Speaker 2: Me falling off the lift or something.
Speaker 3: There's a lot more to it, and by the way, it didn't look so bad. It actually looked pretty good. But I remember there were supposed to be a lot more to it, and I couldn't do it, and Larry and Larry were so frustrated with me that I think that's the only time in the history of the show where I saw a producer and a producer and director. Larry Charles was both discussing how much I sucked. And I've never forgotten it, and I felt so I was embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Well, the scene worked fine, of you two.
Speaker 3: Falling off, I know, but at the time we didn't know it all right.
Speaker 2: Well, but it did work fine. I wasn't there that day, so you too full off the let.
Speaker 3: Did you even come to the ski day? Now? That was up in Big Bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then we see Larry snowplowing down and Rachel and Ben are at the bottom of the hill and Ben is finished and Rachel wants one more run, so he tells Larry go with Rachel one more run, and she's like, she doesn't want it, and then Ben tells him, I think I could help you move your friend Richard Lewis up the list.
Speaker 2: And Larry's I'm gonna faint. I know where you're going when you die.
Speaker 1: Right up there, mister, Right up there, there's an escalator up You're going on the escalip It's just so funny.
Speaker 3: By the way, there's a movie I forgot the original name, but in America it was released A Stairway to Heaven and it's a Powell Presburger movie. They're the directors. Yeah yeah, and with David nivin a master I.
Speaker 2: Know that movie?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: I think Joan plow Wright is in that movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, and she plays opposite him. And the point is that is easily in my top ten favorite movies of all time, and it is so moving to me. I love that movie so much. As a matter of fact, now that I've been talking about I haven't seen it for a while. Popping that baby in maybe even tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, look forward to it, I am.
Speaker 1: And next we have Larry and Rachel on the ski lift and Larry is, you know, making his ridiculous small talk. What do people have against whistlers? I can't draw, but I'm a very good doodler. Let's have a doodle contest when we get back to the lodge and you know, and she's just like a yeah yeah, and then the lift stops and Rachel's say, it's only going to be a few minutes. But then we see time passes and time pass and it's fifteen minutes already, and she's worried about Chick Sahama.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Shama down something? Though Larry Charles, however, he block this first off where they're sitting was closer to if they found nothing would happen type area, like yes, in the wide shot, but it looked like they were where they were, like it was shot yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So she starts saying that Shick Sahama is what's gonna happen, which is sundown? And I can't be alone with you after sundown. You're a man and I'm a single woman. It's against the law. And Larry says, who says, and she says, hush em, hush em says, and he's just like, hey, it's extenuating circumstances. And she's like, there's no such thing. Five point forty one. It's another half hour. The sun is going down, and they're both freezing and hungry, and Larry reaches into.
Speaker 2: His pocket and lo and behold what's in his pocket? Edible panties? Yeah, he takes it out, starts to eat, takes a bite. It's pretty good, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Well, those are clearly made out of licorice.
Speaker 1: Yes, they look licoricish, that's what they did. And Rachel's how much time? And Larry offers her some of the panties and move that away from me, and then she says, somebody's gonna have to jump, You're gonna and she says him, you're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: Jump, and he says, what are you crazy?
Speaker 2: He says, what are you fucking nuts? Now very rare that Larry uses fuck, very rare.
Speaker 3: But in that instance, yes, it didn't stand out because now that's what I would say, that's what anyone would say.
Speaker 1: Jumping because ahash shem, it's it's ridiculous and uh and she she she takes out her phone. She gives him her phone, and she jumps and he continues to eat, and then he uses the phone to call Richard Lewis to give him the bad news. He said, you know, the kidney. He realizes now that he's totally alienated the Heineman's and the kidney is not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: And he says to him, I'm gonna call my cell phone.
Speaker 3: If you hear it ringing, pick it up. Okay, fine, fine, And.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, Lisa, the nurse, is propping up the pillows behind Richard, and he dials the number, and then we hear from Lisa's vagina.
Speaker 3: Clearly from her vagina, and Richard looks up like, wow, this is true. And the idea that Mickey Manno's five hundreds home run ball was stored in her vagina. That's quite end of the episode.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I so enjoyed, like I really don't enjoy going back and looking at these guys do well. Mostly for me, it's the pain I know I was feeling as being very heavy and the pain I was in in terms of emotional but also I don't like watching myself, whether I'm fit or not. And then but this episode, I really couldn't get enough of it.
Speaker 2: You know what else, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Usually when I'm reward, I'm writing notes, writing notes, and I'm not really enjoying the episode. I was laughing out loud watching this episode.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite Larry David performance, and there have been many, and this is one of my favorite episodes. And of course I got to do something that people have reacted strongly to, and that's exciting for me.
Speaker 1: Whenever I tell Larry and I think Larry is a terrific comedic actor, and whenever I tell him and he's like, I don't I don't act.
Speaker 2: I don't act, which is bullshit. He does act, of course.
Speaker 3: If I may. I don't know if this applies to you, how you feel about it, But I look at myself as a comedian who acts, and I'm a pretty good actor for a comedian who acts. I am not an actor. I am not an actor. I am a comedian who acts.
Speaker 2: I never really broke it down like that.
Speaker 3: Well I do. I've thought about it because I thought as an actor and I'm not so great as a comedian. I'm pretty fucking good as an actor. But comedians generally make the transition.
Speaker 1: Stand ups I'm talking about who are terrific. Robin Williams, the Jacket, you know.
Speaker 3: A lot do a lot do. I think it's more often than not comedians can transition to being really solid actors. But it was a great dramatic actor.
Speaker 1: You know, Alan King was a good actor actor. But you know, when you're on stage doing stand up and you're you're making materials sound fresh every time.
Speaker 2: That's acting.
Speaker 3: But I don't do that well.
Speaker 2: Most comedians do. And what were the other means? But Jeff, that's not true. You do you have bits that you do?
Speaker 3: No, I have bits that I recall. I have no sense of. The strongest I ever go is when I film a special where I have an outline but it still gives me room.
Speaker 1: Yes, but there are things that you have said before that you're saying again and making it sound fresh.
Speaker 3: No, it sounds fresh because I'm saying it could be something I haven't said in a year, and I'm recalling it, so it is fresh as I'm telling it.
Speaker 2: But you know what I'm saying, No, what was saying to me?
Speaker 3: I'm saying this is why I say for me, I'm a comedian who acts because I'm not. There's only one time in my career where I actually performed as an actor, and that was my HBO half hour. It was in a very difficult room. The first show. I ate it, I really did. I didn't have a good set audio, it was just and there were high ceilings, which is death for comedy. But I remember sitting backstage and I told my wife and my manager. I said, well, they go, how do you feel about the second? I go, I'm gonna do great? And they say, oh, that's a good as. I go, no, no, no, no, I'm gonna do great because no matter what their reaction is, I'm killing. I am killing camera. You played Yeah, No, But I actually performed that night as an actor of a comedian who's killing because the second show went better but not good enough to show.
Speaker 1: Doing Doing stand up for television is a completely different thing than doing stand up live in a room where where you're doing this one thing at this moment, and it's never gonna happen again.
Speaker 2: It's not being filmed. It's a completely different thing.
Speaker 1: I never enjoyed doing stand up for television, never enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: To me, it was just it never felt good on stage.
Speaker 3: I enjoy you know, just audience. Yeah. Yeah, But even when I did like Letterman and stuff, I had a ball I mean different, Yeah, that's different. Well, you know, look it's my adhd. I cannot do the same thing every night. I remember I was doing one a very successful one man show in Chicago, and it got well reviewed. At the same time, Jackie Mason was doing his one man show in Chicago, so I had a night off he was performing. I went to go see him. Afterwards. I talked to him backstage and I was telling him about how I'm sick of my own voice, that my show is maybe half of what I was doing at the first place that I was improvising. And his response to me, what are you a schmuck? A schmuck, you got great reviews. Why aren't you going with your great reviews? You don't change a word because but he was able to perform precisely the same thing every night. I don't have that skill.
Speaker 1: I do not, But what I'm saying is that's an acting skill to make it sound fresh and make it feel fresh every night, like you do if you're doing a Broadway play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't look at it. I think you basically, we're really not even disagreeing to disagree, you're just wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, we're gonna say goodbye and we'll see you.
Speaker 3: Thanks everyone for listening.
Speaker 1: The history of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.