Speaker 1: Monday, August the fifth and night Team USA just showing out now, jumping to its biggest lead in the medal count.
Speaker 2: That's right. US athletes have now won seventy one Olympic medals, nineteen of those gold, and China has moved into second place with forty five. You see the big lead disparity there, France dropping to third place with forty four medals.
Speaker 1: He welcome, never bond it to Amy and TJ. And it ain't bragging if you can back it up. Noah Lyles talked the talk. Then he ran that race. The Americans cemented his place as the fastest man alive in a race that was the fastest and closest in Olympic history.
Speaker 2: Also, in this tea from Perry edition of Amy and TJ, Sonny Lee shines so brightly that Eva Mendez and Ryan Gosling have to keep their shades on. Meanwhile, a dazzling French gymnast wins a gold medal, but another country gets to claim the victory and a one hundred year old win streak on the line for American swimmers. Bobby Fink to the rescue.
Speaker 1: Plus the boxer at the center of the gender controversy calls for an end to bullying. Also, US men lose an event at the Olympics that they have never lost before. And the US women's basketball team makes me and bro Box feels stupid.
Speaker 2: And could you win a gold medal with your ex? What event was such a big deal that Adele stopped her live concert to see it? And finally our apology to the US women's national team.
Speaker 1: And with all that, here we are this morning doing our thing once again. This is a very busy morning again, folks. We record a day of very early We get up at three or four am, start watching events, and today is a very busy day of event watching and stars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been watching women's diving and now we're watching gymnastics. I mean, these are marquee events in the Olympics and so fun to watch.
Speaker 1: And we are literally looking live right now as we record this. Simone is about to do her thing and Soony Lee on the balance beam. So if you're listening to us, then you already missed it live probably and you might know the results. I'm sure. I'm pretty sure this is gonna be on TV somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been focused a lot. Is anyone else out there looking at the uniforms. I mean, I don't know why, but it just feels fun to come. Some countries are doing better than others. We're big fans of Italy's outfits just all in all the events, they're just slaying it. When it comes to the fashion, the.
Speaker 1: Divers is one. They were great. They have very sleek, they were subtle, but the flag on the side. Those might be my favorite uniforms I've seen at the Olympic. We do every single event is a fashion show, and we are absolutely fashion critics.
Speaker 2: We have the Fashion Olympics for all of that. We decide who has the best uniforms, who has the worst, and the US has been you know what I will say, I have been a big fan.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I love that Italy hoodie. I think it's so cool. The hood has the red, the white and the green in the back. And I loved the initial French gymnasts leotards. They were beautiful, stunning, the white with the blue and red kind of ribbons. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I forgot about Italy's the soft blue. It's like blue, the perfect blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know, of course they know fashion and they're showing up on the Olympics.
Speaker 1: At the Olympics, you're gonna have to I'm gonna stop getting up by myself at three and four in the morning. I'm gonna make you get up with me, because I end up and it's so sad. I end up sitting out here by myself in tears every single morning because one that damn Dick's Sporting Goods commercial. It gets me every time. So that got me a game. You need somebody to hug well, I need Maybe if you were here, I wouldn't just let it out. I would kind of keep it in, or I wouldn't be so emotional. But the other thing got me this morning. I swear the platform diving and this is just another sign of just what the Olympics is. The two platform divers from Mexico with telling the story that they have been in previous Olympics. They both have medals. They were on the brink of selling their gold medals. Excuse me, their medals was a bronze and a silver, selling them to fund their diving and their training and their traveling. They're at the Olympics now, but that's where they were about to sell their other Olympic medals just so they could stay on course to come here aerow Mexico. The airline stepped in and say we got you. That's one of the EXE And I'm in here sitting by myself listening to that story and rooting for these Mexican divers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I yeah, five am is such a better start time for me. I just have to say just mentally for the rest of the day. However, yesterday I did get up with you at three thirty because we had to run.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, I forgot about that. That was a hell of a day. We had done two interviews, recorded a podcast, ran a half marathon before nine am.
Speaker 2: It was a lot. And what time did I fall asleep last night? Around eight?
Speaker 1: We've been getting in bed earlier. But yeah, we felt like a bad.
Speaker 2: We had dinner in bed and fell asleep. Let's just be honest. That's how the day ended.
Speaker 1: But we did put the food up before we did.
Speaker 2: That was a win. That was our metal for the night. But the marathon went. The half marathon, it was not a marathon, went well. It was my slowest half marathon I've ever run that I know of, but it was ninety one percent humidity, and I'm going to just give myself I finished. I'm not in a race right now. I'm just training.
Speaker 1: We say, yeah that we I don't know if we made that clear. Yes, we say we were training. We did run a half marathon as part of the training.
Speaker 2: It was not an official race. It was just part of marathon training, and so the time didn't matter, although it does get in your head, especially I think after watching all of these Olympics, I'm like competing with myself now at this point. But I had to give myself a break and I just let it be my slowest time ever, because that's just is a part of it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it is inspirational to see them doing what they're doing, knowing what that training took, knowing they're going through little battles and injuries and pains, and all I got to do is to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.
Speaker 2: You know I did. It's exactly what I was saying to myself, all you have to do. This isn't skillful. You just have to put one foot in front of the other and not fall.
Speaker 1: It didn't help that we were coming around that curve and those two passed us. You're like, they look like Olympians.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. There was a couple. Oh this is I wish we had a video of it. There was a couple who just came flying by us and they looked like at the very least Peloton instructors and at the very most Olympians, and they were just smoking us and they were smoking their bot. I was just like, wow, that was actually inspiring to me, slightly defeating. You didn't speed up though, no, no, no no, I needed to pace myself. I don't think they were necessarily running thirteen point one miles like we were.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. But yesterday to the Olympics, and it was one of and lot. We'll tell you the marquee event of every every Olympics, the men's one hundred meters dash. But it delivered drama in a finish like we have never seen before. This is just not history made or record broken. This was as a race and as a whole something we have not seen an American history in Olympic history. We got the American Noah Lyles. He lived up to the hype and all his history onics and solidified his title as fastest man alive by winning the gold medal en row of one hundred meters, but by the smallest margin we have ever seen an Olympic history.
Speaker 2: That's right, So how close are we talking? The first and second place finishers both clocked the same time, like if you looked up on the leaderboard, nine point seven to nine seconds, so they had to take it down to the thousandth zuh. I can't even say that word of a second, not the hundredths of a second, but the thousandth of a second. And with the help of a photo finish, Lyles got the gold by five thousandths. I never have to say that word again, of a second, I'm telling you. Even in the replays in slow motion, I could not tell that Lyles won the picture.
Speaker 1: It was a photo finish and I was still looking at it. Can't tell he won. Wow.
Speaker 2: And then not just the two finishers first and second place. This field was so fast that this was the first time in Olympic history.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you all.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, you just stopped me.
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Oh no, all right, well we won't say what happens. It's not good. This is the first time in Olympic history that the one through eight finishers in the one hundred all came in under ten seconds. That's remarkable. And also this was shocking to me. This is a good stat Oh wait, I was not about to say the same stat you were.
Speaker 1: I don't think the next the next stat say that.
Speaker 2: You say that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fifth, the sixth, the seventh, and eighth place finisher. So let let me make that clear. The guys who all did not meddle, who came in fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth, they all set world records for the best times we have ever seen for a fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth place finishers. That's how fast the field was. This is the fastest we've ever seen losers run.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a good way to put it, but it was true. It really was unbelievable to watch. Also, it made it more thrilling. Forty meters into the race, Noah Lyles was in last place. Halfway through, he had made his way up to seventh place. So to see him go from last and he was back there for quite a bit to first was remarkable. And he's the first American man to win gold since Athens, so that's quite a while. And now the ship is focusing too. The two hundred meter, which everyone says that's actually his best event. So prelims start this afternoon and he could become the first American man to win gold in both the one hundred and the two hundred meters at the same Olympics since Carl Lewis back in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 1: And speaking of our guy Carl, this is the last stat we'll give you to show you just how fast the field was yesterday. In the one hundred meter. Carl Lewis won the gold in Seoul, South Korea, back in nineteen eighty eight, and he set a world record when he did it. Robes. The world record at that time was nine point nine to two. Nine point nine two. Carl Lewis would have come in dead last in that race yesterday.
Speaker 2: That's remarkable.
Speaker 1: He would have been last. It was good enough to get him a gold in eighty eight. He would have been last. That's how fast it was. So that was very fun to watch. And you all have to forgive us here as we're as we're talking to you, we're a little distracted because we watched it live and we just watching Sunny Lee perform on balance beam. You do need to tune in I don't know if you're going to try to track it down. Were try not to give you any results or anything that you ruin anything, any spoilers. But watching Sonny Lee perform and it wasn't her best performance here, had a little bit of a bad situation here on the balance beam. But she's given us so much joy. Oh she had these Olympics and so she just seeing her do her thing and get it. She's smiling now on the side to.
Speaker 2: I love her spirit. You can just see her energy come through the television. And by the way, I love her leotard today, it's really it's banging.
Speaker 1: I love her leotard to they brought it fashion.
Speaker 2: We'll we'll keep it in gymnastics because we had so much fun watching gymnastics yesterday. And here's a stat for you. The best French gymnast wins gold for Algeria. But she's making history for an entire continent. Algeria's Kaylie and Nimore, who was just seventeen, became the first African gymnast to win an Olympic medal. And it wasn't just any metal. She won gold with a near perfect routine on the uneven bars. It was so beautiful to watch. She was born, she was raised, She even trains in France. But she started representing Algeria just last year because the French Gymnastics Federation, for whatever reason, didn't clear her to resume competition following a knee surgery in twenty twenty one. I don't know that there was some back and forth about that, but her father is Algerian, so she was allowed to compete with the Algerian team. And you know it didn't matter. The crowd treated her like a hometown girl. They went wild for her after that incredible routine. So didn't seem like there was any bad blood. But gotta say success has to be the best revenge. I was just thinking, too bad France, the score for Algerie.
Speaker 1: No bad blood. They embraced her and I'm sure they understand and they get it, and and she is. We watched her in the all round. We've been watching her and didn't know who she was, like, wow, she is fantastic and now we get it. And to see her pick up a goal that routine yesterday was wow, was a wow. Yeah, she made some moves I didn't make sense.
Speaker 2: You actually gasped when you saw her do it. Her score of fifteen point seven, by the way, tied for the highest score of the meet in any event. That just shows you how good she was. And then Sunny Lee also competed.
Speaker 1: Yes, Dax that ron she was fun. She was. She has such a clean exercise on the uneven bar, so she was fun. While she got her second now bronze in Paris, so the first was a second. Actually she got the bronze on the uneven bars before. It's a third medal of the Olympics. So her career toll is now six and she is one. She represents the US so well, not to say anybody else doesn't. She's just such a little delight and always down there having fun. She really is somebody I've had a lot of fun watching this year.
Speaker 2: And her teammates were rooting for her. The Golden Girls were all in the stands, including some of the biles watching her. It's fun to watch them. See the celebrities who come to Paris to cheer on, especially the gymnasts. We've seen a lot of celebrities and in tennis as well, but we saw a rare sighting of Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendez together. They were looking super cool. They kept their shades on the entire time. I get it too, but it was it was cool to see them and again they didn't they look just so cool.
Speaker 1: It was just chill.
Speaker 2: It's fun to see them celebrity sighting.
Speaker 1: They casual sporting event and they were dressed the part. It was but a lot of I think we see more stars problem than gymnastics in the stands for anywhere else some of the swimming, but this has been fun to watch in the support, a lot of support for the swimmers as well. And Bobby Fink. I don't know if that medal can get golder, but he just picked up a very important gold medal. He came to the rescue of an American wind streak that dates back to nineteen oh four. Check this out. American men have won an individual gold medal in swimming in every Olympic since nineteen oh four. It was held in Saint Louis, of all places. But until yesterday in Paris, American men had been shut out no gold medals in any individual event. Of course, they had won some in some relays, but an individual race. Up until yesterday, American man had not won a gold medal at these games.
Speaker 2: So he won the race and in world record fashion, correct, he broke the world record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he broke a record. He wins his race. This was the fifteen hundred I believe it was for him.
Speaker 2: It's nearly a mile by the way, for people, just to get a perspective, fifteen hundred meter because that kind of means nothing to me a lot of times. But it's basically, he swam a mile and he won gold by nearly four seconds. And the yeah, the world record he shattered was set back in twenty twelve by a Chinese swimmer. More on that in just a bit, but yeah, that was incredible.
Speaker 1: And also women picked up gold. The American women got a gold in the four by one hundred meter men late. They won that one by three seconds, set a world record there as well. Again three seconds in the pool. That's a blowout.
Speaker 2: So that brings the tally for US swimmers to eight gold medals in Paris, which is nothing. Well that's something to brag about, let's just say. And and by the way, also the pool is done like that was it for swimming in a pool, But there are still two outdoor swimming races in the sein, so we can talk about the scent a little bit more. But the men's and women's outdoor ten thousand meter marathon swimming competitions are Thursday and Friday, so two more swimming events, but they're in the scent.
Speaker 1: Let's see if they'll go off. We have to keep checking that water. People check the chlorine levels in the backyard, what they're.
Speaker 2: Doing in a second and swim in yum.
Speaker 1: Though Bobby Feaks saved us on that. On that streak, But another streak for Americans has ended. Check this out. Since the four by one hundred medley relay was introduced in the Olympics in nineteen sixty, American men have won gold in this event, have never lost it at the Olympics that they have been in since it was introduced. Now, the four by one hundred medley, this is the one where you got four guys. Each one does a different discipline butterfly, brass, backstro freestyle. So that's the race we're talking about. That winning streak has ended now and it was ended yesterday by China. Us touched the wall half second behind the Chinese team. Sounds close, but it didn't take a photo finish. This was kind of a really robes of dominant performance by the Chinese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I said more to come on the Chinese swimmers, because there has been so much talk about them in recent days after The New York Times reported that about a dozen swimmers on the current Chinese Olympic team failed drug tests before the Tokyo Olympics, but they were cleared to compete by Chinese officials. There were no ramifications. They claimed that they ate some meat that had the contaminant inside of it, and from what we've heard from the IOC, there was no way to disprove that claim, so they allowed them to compete anyway. But two of those athletes who failed those drug tests are on the relay team that beat the Americans yesterday. And Bobby Fink, you know, he had just won, so he was being interviewed by reporters. He made some strong comments about that. He said. I'm going to quote him in Sport. One of my favorite quotes I've seen lately is there is no point in winning if you don't win it fair. I think you know the truth in your heart. Even if you touch and you know you're cheating, you're not winning right. So for me, if you've been on that and you've been contaminated twice. I think as an honorable person, it means you should be out of the sport. He did not mince his words, he did not split hairs. He made his feelings known, and I think a lot of folks feel the same.
Speaker 1: There's in there. And then there's another side to the argument. I don't know. I mean, are we supposed it's tough to take somebody at their work when there's been like an incident after incident after incident after incident, and then there was another It came out after we heard about those failed drug tests. That was another two swimmers two years ago. Chinese gets the same thing they got called the drug test and got cleared by the Chinese. A lot of times you get a doping ban in swimming, it can go year years plus. So this is a big deal.
Speaker 2: As it should. You're cheating. You know you are cheating. And I was just saying to you as we were prepping for today, it blows my mind that the country whose athletes are accused of doping is the one that clears them, or decides or gives an explanation or chooses not to discipline them. That doesn't that doesn't seem like an outside investigation, and that seems like what would have to be the case if you wanted it to seem legit and betranded.
Speaker 1: You got the home team who was supposed to be checking the home team, and that.
Speaker 2: Was every reason to want the best players or the best athletes to move forward to represent the country.
Speaker 1: As an example, as a reminder there of what you're talking about, the best example people can remember she Carrie Richardson when she got a suspension, a doping suspension that was given to her by the US Anti Doping Agency and it kept her out of the Olympics. So we in that situation would have been incentivized, you know, cheat a little or whatever, or make it possible for her to run the Chinese Anti Doping whatever organization is supposed to do that type of thing.
Speaker 2: But she carries doping was we're not talking about the same That wasn't a performance enhancing drug. That was actually maybe perhaps a performance low ring drug.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but just give me what it's like for the home country, and if it's done well, that's how it's supposed to work. You're supposed to make sure that the athletes are following the rules. So about the Chinese are so proud and excited for this team and they beat the mighty Americans and it's a.
Speaker 2: Good but there's a cloud hanging over that win. Maybe they don't care, but I think the rest of the world's season the cloud.
Speaker 1: It's Sonny in China, though, I guess it is.
Speaker 2: I guess it is. Uh wow, it is. Uh. It was a thrill to watch Novak Djokovic yesterday. Who didn't see that? I mean, if you didn't, you missed out on that last set was just remarkable when they were doing their tiebreaker, Oh, I mean it was. We'll put it like this. One of the commentators said about one of the competitors here, Novak Djokovic, he said he will die on that court to win this and that sounds like a lot. But watching him play and win yesterday, that's exactly that was perfectly put.
Speaker 1: Because you and again you have to understand this history here. He has had four Olympics. He has gone oh and three in the Semis, didn't even make it that far in one of them. He has twenty four Grand Slams. He is the greatest tennis player ever and the one thing that was missing was this Well, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's funny because we were saying this was his fourth attempt to win a gold. The truth is he's actually been in five Olympics. We forgot he won bronze back in two thousand and eight, but he failed to meddle in London, Rio or Tokyo. So this was his fourth try at a gold. He had a bronze in Beijing, so he wanted that gold and he got it finally. It took him a while, but and also by the way, he had meniscus surgery on his leg nine weeks ago, so there was a lot, you know, he had a lot of pressure. It was a pressure kirker for him, and he came out on top.
Speaker 1: He again, he's the oldest guy to make it to a Olympic final. He's playing the youngest guy ever to make it to an Olympic final, Carlos al Karez. If you watch any tennis, you know who this guy is. He is the next coming.
Speaker 2: Didn't he beat Djokovic in Wimbledon? I believe so. So they had already been matched up once before Djokovic lost, So it was amazing to see him push through and win and then to see him. I mean, he's sobbed. We've said this before, but you see, you know, they keep it together, they keep their laser focus going. And then as soon as they went, you see all the emotion. It's just amazing to see what they're able to keep at bay. And then it all comes out when they win and it's and then he ran up into the to the stands and was with his wife and his kids. It was just beauty with a Serbian flag. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: That's thing, the Serbian flag. He's been very outspoken about this love for his country, but he joins a very elite group. So you hear about the Grand Slam in tennis if you win all four majors, but there's something else they call the Golden Slam. You win all four majors, but you also win a gold medal. He was not in that group. And the only people that are in that group Andre Agassi, Steffi, grab Serena, Williams Raffi, Na Doll Wow, a Golden Slam.
Speaker 2: So he's that sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 1: He's become even more elite.
Speaker 2: Sounds better than a Grand Slam, right, And this balance beam is the devil just gonna tell you, you guys, if you can watch the replay, because I'm assuming most of you weren't up for this because it's so early in the morning. But it's it's this is a really tough and these are the top eight gymnast by the way, who were selected from their preliminary scores to compete in the final for a medal. And it is been brutal sometimes, you know what, it's contagious. When one person falls, you just start to see athlete after athlete. It's such a mental game, especially you get one shot, you get one shot and and and we're seeing a lot of Olympic dreams die on this apparatus.
Speaker 1: I've seen a couple of heroes that are not just you slip and lose balance. I like some hard hits and falling and hitting that beam in ways that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like it's been like the high bar for the men, which is next by the way. We saw so many people just you know, slip and fall and again, and their there dreams in a medal, because once you fall, you almost certainly aren't medaling, and that's you just know it's over. Then you got to get back up and you got to keep doing it, and it's it's tough to watch, it really is.
Speaker 1: We'll keep that on. Maybe we can turn that off because it's painful.
Speaker 2: Seas someone hasn't gone yet. I can't imagine what she's thinking right now watching everyone fall.
Speaker 1: She's thinking, I got this, Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 2: She's one of those like, are you'll.
Speaker 1: Really giving me extra points? Falling ahead of me? Well, we want to tell you all about this. We have a true story. This is one hundred percent of true store lunch plans. Yesterday were supposed to leave the house around eleven thirty am. US Women's basketball. They were playing Germany. Now they have already advanced to the next round, so the game wasn't necessarily one of consequence in terms of moving forward in this tournament. But it's always of consequence because this is the team, the US women Roads that have not lost in the Olympics, not just not lost gold medal, not lost a game since Barcelona goes back to ninety two. They're fifty seven and oh fifty eight and oh whatever it is. So I tell you we had this lunch plan, I said, Roads, can you make sure you have peacock is working on your phone?
Speaker 2: The app yep, I checked, I had it. We were good to go. And why why did we need to make sure we watched it?
Speaker 1: Because the streak was on the line. So if the women were watching the game, they were down big at the beginning. As we're getting ready it was fifteen to six, I had said, Holy hell, babe, and you know how I am about this stuff. You took it very seriously, because you know if I ask you at any point once we have not peacock ready to go. I got ready, I said, babe, we're gonna have to keep an eye on the score. I am putting my keys and my wallet in my pocket in the bedroom. You walk back, put the phone in my face and say, look, I got it. It's working. By the time you get to the door, you walk out to the hallway before I do, hit the button on the elevator. By the time I close the door, walk around the corner to get to you to the elevator.
Speaker 2: What do I say, don't worry about it, We're ahead.
Speaker 1: It was done in the snap of a finger. They go from down whatever it was eleven or thirteen, they were up thirteen and a half.
Speaker 2: How dare you doubt the US Women's basketball team on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt so stupid after the fact, like I was really worried.
Speaker 2: Wow, I actually I thought that there was a chance that we weren't going to win soupid but the.
Speaker 1: Eighty seven to sixty eight with the final, they are now fifty eight and oh in the Olympics since Barcelona, but they but yeah, going to the knockout stage now they are the number one seed.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, it's fair to say we have seen a lot of show stopping performances at the Olympics, but there was one in particular that literally stopped a show, specifically an Adele concert in Munich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has been very vocal. Oh look, you could tell she's having a good time and has been watching the Olympics and has been talking about it. But on Saturday at her concert, she stopped singing, disappeared to the back of the stage for a second, and on the big screen in the arena, what came up the women's one hundred menor final?
Speaker 2: She Carrie Richards said, she said, she's a huge she's a huge fan of hers and she was rooting her on and so she was excited. So she had the entire like Munich audience stadium. I don't know how many thousands of people were there, all stopping to watch. Think, thankfully, it's ten seconds. It's if you're gonna stop a show to watch an event, that's the one to do it. But she congratulated Sherry, She congratulated the winner, and everyone had a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that was just a cool moment that people are that into it that she even sto I'm sure they appreciate it. It was only ten seconds. She got back, she got back to scond exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, we have an apology to make to the US women's soccer team. This is also a true story. We planned our entire day Saturday to watch them take on Japan. We were on the edges of our seats. When the match went into extra time, we jumped up and we cheered when Trinity Rodman scored the only goal of the one hundred and twenty minute game. We were in awe and we couldn't wait to celebrate them and talk about their amazing victory. And yet in our podcast Sunday, we completely forgot to mention their win was embarrassing.
Speaker 1: This is really embarrassing. Look, not that we're making excuses, but like we mentioned we had got number three, we ran a half marathon, we had done two interviews, and then we had to record the pipe.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of so many other things that had happened since the soccer game where people had won, and yeah, so it happened that. Dude, when was it yesterday? You looked over me and you said, oh my god, Ropes, we completely left up And I was like what. He was like, we completely left out something major in our podcast, Like what and you said the US women's soccer team and we both just hit.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was in our notes. It was in our notes to do. But the messed up part. We to your point, like we were getting onto each other like hurry up, are you ready? We got We made a whole plan because we had to be in front of the TV exactly. We weren't going to miss a second of that game, and we didn't. And then we didn't mention ladies, sorry, I mean the US women's basketball team, US women's soccer team, we are really doing that.
Speaker 2: We need to do better, We need to do better. But we've been watching and we have been cheering them on and we cannot wait. I mean, they have they looked so good. I mean, we love watching those women play. They're gonna take on Germany on Tuesday in the semifinals and rest assured we will be talking about them.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday the whole podcast.
Speaker 2: It will be dedicated to the US women's soccer team.
Speaker 1: And finally, here a simple question to all of you out there. Could you compete at the Olympics with your ex as your playing partner? Now you pick the X, whoever's in your head, whoever you're thinking about right now, but that X. Could you go and compete on the biggest stage with that X? Is it the Olympics? Is it your ex boyfriend husband? No, I think that's important, said pick the X, because we would go through. Now you have so much little what about this and what event is it? And do we have to do this?
Speaker 2: Do I have to coordinate with them in a very significant I can't be annoyed or pissed at them person as for me, the answer is no. The answer is no, no X. No.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so.
Speaker 2: This is no not not to have to spend that much time and no, no, that's not for me. Okay, what about you? How about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think I could.
Speaker 2: I think I got I so disagree with you. I do not name one ex that you are friends with, like actual friends with you talk and chat and hang out with. Oh I do know one? Okay, I think, Well, I don't know. I thought that you were friendly with one because we've interviewed that person. Oh no, okay, so I stand correct. Okay, name you don't have to name this. No, you don't have to name the X. But just tell me that you can think of a person that you that you actually are still friends with, who you've dated or have been married.
Speaker 1: Let me go through my text. Okay, I'm kidding. I kind of see your point, but we're asking the question. I kind of see what you're saying because I go back through my mind. It depends on who the ex might be.
Speaker 2: But are you friends with any of your exes? Still?
Speaker 1: There are some exes I will cross the street. But they competed. This has been a story. It's a fun one. It's a cute one. It's a silly one. It's not really one you could even argue. But check tennis players playing mixed doubles just won a goal medal. Tomas Mahatch and Katerina Senekova, Right, they just won goal for that country mixed doubles tennis. Now, after the win, what do a teammates do. Of course they're going to embrace each other. And they got up there and they gave a pretty passionate kiss.
Speaker 2: And maybe they're not really, but that's the thing.
Speaker 1: These two had been dating since back in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, and they broke up just a couple of months ago before for the Olympics that they had been training for. That's crazy, they broke up, but they still decided they wanted to commit to compete together, and sure enough, they just won a gold medal together, so amazing. So of course they got to the press conference afterwards and what did everybody ask?
Speaker 2: Are you back together?
Speaker 1: And their answer was not really a definitive one. Their answer was was, uh, we like to keep you confused. That's our personal business. That's not really for you. The other the guy said, you know what, it's top secret. And they were kind of being giddy and silly and goofy.
Speaker 2: But I think they got back together.
Speaker 1: Well, the kiss was clear that they got I mean.
Speaker 2: The thing is that's an on again, off again relationship. Oh my god, Oh it's fine. I had chills.
Speaker 1: Okay, this this Balance being Sorry, we're.
Speaker 2: Watching someone Biles on the beam as we're talking and Devil.
Speaker 1: That thing is the Devil again.
Speaker 2: I love her, Leizard, I will say that. I'm amazing le It's hard. She looks phenomenal. This is insane. I this is insane. You guys. You have to watch the Beam finals. This is this just shows you the stress, the competition and and and what happens. I just I okay, okay, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to look it up as we're here to tell folks when they're going to have this on TV. The Balance Beam is one you need to watch.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a replay. There's a replay for everyone. I mean it's happening live right now, but there is a replay.
Speaker 1: And if you do have obviously Peacock they do the replays and they have them there for you.
Speaker 2: This is one you can't miss.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they're going to have this replay before it airs on television.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right. This is the prime time. This is their prime time, Like, this is what they put out for everyone to watch. But it's going to be out there. What happens. I mean, everyone's going to see it, but if you so choose to look it up, and we don't want to give it away here, but my god, you have to watch this. This is I feel like this, like there is just a contagion that happens when.
Speaker 1: And you know, we're saying this as if. I mean, obviously people are going to be talking about this, and this is going to be out there if you will, before during the day, and people are going to kind of know what happened and know the results. But we just didn't want to give it away here in case you're you're one of those folks that want to wait and watch and aren't paying attention to anything.
Speaker 2: Thanks. This is the time of the podcast where we say what we're watching today. Obviously we're watching gymnastics, and so Simone is on balance beam right now, but she's also going to compete in the floor exercise along with Jordan Chiles. But you know, I think this is what's at stakes right now. Biles has ten Olympic medals, and that is significant. Obviously, she won she led the US team to gold in the women's final. She won gold for all around and vault. But if she had a top three finish, if she gets a medal in the floor exercise and the beam, any of them, that would give her two more medals. That would make her the second most decorated female gymnast in Olympic history, only Larissa Latinina, if I don't know how to say a latin has more with eighteen. So I mean she's going for the This is what the Olympians do. At a certain point. You're the goat, right, but you want to have your name up there in history, and so this was always win, right, and just to get two more medals, it wouldn't have to be gold, would put her in a whole new level basically right now than she is right now. So that that's kind of what's at stake.
Speaker 1: That is, it's a great lea ry and I'm not big on the leotards and understanding that fashion. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: She looks fantastic, So yes, floor exercise. That'll be her final event, by the way, that'll be the last time we see Simone Biles compete. Later this morning, she's going up against Brazil's Rebecca Androge and teammate Jordan Chiles. But remember Simone one Gold and Rio. But she pulled out of the event in Tokyo, but we saw her slay it earlier, so this is her one of her big, big, big events. And even though there are no American men competing in gymnastics today, it is always remarkable to watch the men's final. So they have the parallel ball bars which just happened, which you'll be able to see on replay, and then the high bar is about to come, and we're absolutely going to be tuning in for all of the above. Track and field, you have men's pole vault final, you have women's discuss throw, women's five five thousand meter final, women's eight hundred meter final, and that's one to watch because we saw Britain's Keighlee Hodgkinson yesterday in the heats. She is a powerhouse. She is a favorite to win the eight hundred final. She is the Tokyo silver medalist, but she has some competition from defending world champion. We saw her Kenya's Mary Maria. She was phenomenal, so that'll most likely be a battle between those two women. And it was just fun to watch men's soccer. Men's team USA maybe out, but these are the semifinals, so we've got Morocco versus Spain that's at noon Eastern time, and then France versus Egypt at three pm Eastern time. Those are always fun ones. And I know you love badminton. The women's single metal matches are today and the men's singles metal matches are today. But all eyes are going to be on that gym today. That is what people are going to be talking about. What's happening at gymnastics?
Speaker 1: Why did Aym I tell me what we should get the answer? Why this seems like it takes so long with the scores, you know, I just like I wouldn't even begin to be able to to it.
Speaker 2: Just they're going through all the little tiny deductions. But we heard them called ghost deductions. I don't really know what that means, but it's very specific, and I think it just takes time to get it right.
Speaker 1: This is it seems odd to me though. This is bizarre. This is taking a long long time to get a score. So I don't I mean, we're not going to give the score here. I'm just sitting there and waiting, and that's we're want to try to get that answer as well. At some point, it just seems like they are taking not just right in this moment, certainly this moment, but it seems like.
Speaker 2: It takes longer than any other sport. But they do want to get it right. I do have to say hats off to NBC their graphics and their replays and how they show things in slow motion, but then even have like a computer generated graphic of the actual athlete doing their skill. It's remarkable because you can see what what it takes to pull off some of these unbelievable gymnastics feats. That makes sense, Like you can just see how difficult it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know why Simone bob is rolling her eyes at something. Just then this look at that.
Speaker 2: She's pacing in. My heart is pounding.
Speaker 1: They look at photography's just standing and everybody's star and her she is not.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's throwing her she feels like this is long and that's some moon bioso.
Speaker 2: And she's getting annoyed. She's getting annoyed. She wants to know what her score is and she's she's frustrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well that's all we can tell you. As look, NBC has made this the best experience I've ever had watching the Olympics. It's been great and being able to watch it at this time of day is being cool. But man, you get these results early and this is this has been if I hope they show the whole beam. I'm looking at the schedule, Hero Robes. They do not have the beam. You can either watch it five or then they don't play it again until NBC Primetime.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to wait till tonight to watch it, but it is it is worth watching. And uh, of course we'll be watching a lot of the events, bringing you all the very latest. Uh. But thank you for listening to us for all of the tea from Perry.
Speaker 1: We're not married to that name.