Speaker 1: You only have so many more years of Paul Schemes for cheap, Jared Jones for cheap. This is the time to start building around these guys.
Speaker 2: Here we go Noah Hailes, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, joining us to talk about the Pittsburgh Pirates. But first, Noah, did you enjoy your Super Bowl experience? I saw you doing a little bit of live tweeting action.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always enjoy the Super Bowl. I'm like a super Bowl nerd one year when I was sick. When I was little, I watched like every NFL film stock for every Super Bowl, so it's like one of my favorite days of the year.
Speaker 3: Didn't win many bets, but still had a good.
Speaker 2: Time, perfect way to pass time. And if you somehow had access to watch every World Series of all time, you'd be very old by that point. So good thing you are with NFL for the younger league to baby league. All right, we're going to dive into a team that definitely causes some frustration but also has some promise in terms of young talents. So let's hit the storylines with Noah. Top four storylines in our minds A full season of Paul Skeins. He was ridiculously good. And he started his season obviously a little bit late because he was marinating in the minor leagues. Now you get a full season of skins. How's that gonna look lineup?
Speaker 3: Flat?
Speaker 2: Is it boosted with Spencer Horowitz and Tommy fam Is there enough on base for them to do more damage this year? What about the bullpen? David Bednar was kind of a mess last year and they don't have big names. So can they get it together? And the theme in Pittsburgh when you talk about the pirates for the past, I don't know fifteen years. Please, Bob nuttings sell the team. So let's start at the top here. Noah Paul Skeens full season? What do you think and how much will they let him eat?
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna let him eat a lot. If you look at the way they built him up last year. He finished with about one hundred and sixty total innings between the minor leagues and the majors. I think that puts him on track to throw close to two hundred this year. I also think that they were pretty conservative with him, where they might let him eat a little bit more, take on a little bit more of a workload. But the big things with Skeens entering year to his first full season to me are one. I think we're gonna get to see him pitch in a five day rotation now where last year for the bulk of his time up in the Majors, they were using a six man rotation and that extra day of rest. Yeah, that aided him a little bit, but that also kind of hurts the team because you want Paul Skeens to pitch as much as possible because.
Speaker 3: He gives you a really good chance to win when he's on the mound.
Speaker 1: So getting him, you know, five man rotation will make the team better, I think, and it'll be a new challenge for Skins to attack. And then I think the other thing you get from Skiens in a full year, with it being year two, is he's going to be a leader for this team, something that I think the Pirates are missing a little bit.
Speaker 3: He was a rookie last year. He was willing to be a rookie. You know, he knew his place. But now he looks around and he kind of sees the writing on the wall. I mean, this is his team, and I think that you're getting a guy who's gonna make an impact more frequently because of him being able to pitch on four days rest now and make an impact in the clubhouse as a leader and kind of saying, hey, get on my back. I'm gonna take you as far as I can.
Speaker 4: Okay. I got to ask this because I saw what they did with Skeens. Excuse me, last year, we all saw what they did. They kind of held them back. Well, now they have Skins, they have Jared Jones, they have Mitch Keller. When's Papa Chandler going to get there? Because you throw those four in the top of a rotation in that division before we get to the next storyline, which I'll ask you about after he has this one, But that's a pretty good force him to start your rotation with. Are they gonna baby Bubba Chandler the way they kind of did Paul Skins, Or are they going to Jared Jones them and say, hey, you made the team out of spring, go get them.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be something in the middle there. Jared Jones made the opening day roster last year because they didn't have a choice. I mean, if you look at this time last year, it's kind of ironic. By the way things played out, But starting pitching was the biggest question mark for this team heading into spring training twenty twenty four, and they needed a guy to step up, and Jered just happened to be that guy.
Speaker 3: Where this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, you look, you just named Skeens, Jones, Keller, and then you have Bailey, Falter, Johann Oviedo.
Speaker 3: Those will probably be your four or five.
Speaker 1: They don't necessarily need to rush Bubba Chandler into the starting rotation. I think if he has a great spring, he could earn a spot. But I think that this is a guy they probably still want to see him make five seven starts in Triple A, get him built up where you know, come June, when he's firing on all cylinders, that's when we're gonna see him make his debut. And it's also interesting with Chandler is he's not the only arm in Triple A that can come up and.
Speaker 3: Give these guys a boost.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have Mike Burrows, who I could see getting time in both the bullpen as a starter, and then you have other top one hunder prospects like Braxton Ashcraft. He's already on the forty man roster and Thomas Harrington, a guy who I think will come after Chandler, but could also be, you know, a back end rotation starter for a lot of years into the future, so they have options. I don't think they're gonna rush Bubba, but I do think they're excited to get them up here because, like you said, I mean that one, two, three, four, it's gonna be special, agreed.
Speaker 4: I mean, if I listen, if I'm the Pirates and I'm the Pirates fans, I want them there now because I want him to learn from schemes and from the big leaguers that they have there, Jared Jones, So listen, they know more than me.
Speaker 5: So we're just gonna go with that.
Speaker 4: Now offensively, what are they gonna do offensively, because they didn't really I mean, yes, but Cutching coming back is is cool, and Horowitz coming over from Toronto. But who's gonna hit? I mean, They're big moves last year were IKF and Dala Cruz. Dala Cruz. They fired into the into orbit, and the IKF is gonna be their starting shortstop no offense. I KF, but he's not known for his bats, So who's gonna hit for the Pirates?
Speaker 1: That's a big question, and I think the answer, if it's gonna be a good answer that the Pirates are hoping hoping for, it's gonna come from from internal improvement. There's a lot of guys who are coming off of a really bad season last year for one reason or another. You look at Kibrian Hayes, a guy who is one of the best fielders at his position, if not the sport, but has trouble staying healthy. And in twenty twenty three, when we saw him at full health in the second half of the season, that bat looked better than it ever did. But we never saw that bat in twenty twenty four because he had a lot of health concerns and issues. And if he can stay healthy, then they get some more offense at third base. You move around the diamond, you look out in the outfield. Actually, Jack Swinski was a guy that they depended on for a lot of power last year, and he didn't give him much. He was coming off of back to back twenty plus home run seasons. I think you only had nine last year. He got sent down to Triple A multiple times and finished the season in Triple A. He's a huge question mark they're gonna need him to really step up, because if you look around the lineup, yeah, they added some on base with Spencer Horowitz, who I think, will you know, give them a nice little top of the lineup presence that they were missing in the leadoff spot. They're really lacking slug here, and you would hope that Oneal Cruz gives you a little bit more in his second full big league season. You're gonna get what you normally get from Brian Reynolds. McCutcheon's gonna give you something. Joey Bart maybe a full season of him can give you a little bit more. But guys like Sawinsky, guys like Henry Davis figuring it out at the major league level, Guys like to Brian Hayes, they're all gonna have to rebound after very poor showings in twenty twenty four if this lineup hopes to produce enough runs to make a push for the postseason.
Speaker 5: Back to back All Stars in twenty two and twenty three, bed Nark came in looking like twenty twenty four was just gonna be another All Star season. Solidified closer role. His ERA was five seven seven, which in era whatever his whip was almost up forty percent. Is there bounce back in him? Is there something in the metrics that we don't know that's like, ooh, he's gonna solidify this closer role again.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's in the metch if you look through I mean, the metrics weren't pretty last year. But I think it's just the story of David Bednar's twenty twenty four. It was kind of everything that could have went wrong went wrong. He had a very limited spring because of injuries. I think he only threw twice in a game. I'm not sure why when they they didn't give him a rehab assignment. They just put him on the opening day roster and they immediately threw him into leverage situations in the first month of the season, despite having little to no build up throughout spring, and it showed he was rusty, and then he found a rhythm. If you look in late April May June, he saved I think nineteen straight he converted nineteen straight save opportunities, and it looked like the guy that we were more familiar with. But then another injury hit and he never found his footing. I think injuries led to this guy experiencing some major inconsistencies, the first of which he's experienced since he's become, you know, that all star caliber player that we know him to be, and then get hit his psyche a little bit. The command really struggled. And I think the key for him is coming into Bradenton. They report Wednesday, and he needs to have a really good spring training. He needs to lay that found out foundation.
Speaker 3: To get off to a good start.
Speaker 1: He needs to prove that twenty twenty four was just a fluke and this is still, you know, an above average reliever who for the last couple of seasons prior to twenty twenty four was among the best closers in baseball.
Speaker 4: Okay, now let's get to the real storyline of the Pittsburgh Pirates. All right, Bob Nutting in the payroll, Well, when's he gonna spend money? This is the time. You look at their pitching rotation. We talked about it. They got some back end guys that they like, right, and if you look at their top four again skens Chailor when he gets there, Jared Jones and Mitch Keller and then whoever that fifth guy is, Right, that's a pretty good baseline to start off of. Then you look at their bullpen. Bennar comes back the rest of their bullpen. They found some pieces in the back end of the bullpen. But then you have the offense. When are they gonna spend the money? Because this tweet came out this weekend, I'm gonna read it to you. I don't know if we have it to show, but here it is. December twenty sixteen was the last time the Pittsburgh Pirates signed a free agent to a multi year contract. That means it's gonna be ten years, ten years because twenty five is basically done. They ain't signed anybody this year, so it's gonna go from ten years if they have not signed a free agent to a What the holy bleep are they doing? They got to sign somebody at some point. I know they're making money and they're Pittsburgh fans are man, they are loyal to a fault, But what the bleep are they doing? And how is this a human? How is this possible?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's something that we ask quite regularly. It's something that I thought. I thought that streak would come to an end this offseason. Personally, I wrote about it numerous times throughout the offseason. If you look at the market for positions that they really needed, corner, outfield, first base. I thought there were a lot of guys they could have either acquired via trade or signed through free agency that would have made an impact. You look at the last time this team was competitive. Yeah, it came with a crop or a big wave of prospects coming up, your mccutcheons, your Garrett Coles, your Starling Martees. But that was also matched with some multi year free agent signings AJ Burnett, Russell Martin. Those guys were as big as an impact as all the other prospects that came up. And yeah, they weren't here as long. But you need that veteran presence, guys who have done it before and who are still capable of doing it in the present day to mix with that clubhouse. And they haven't really added that. It's always been one year contracts. Right now, the payroll is slated to be lower than last year, which surprises me because I agree with you, agam, I mean, this is the time to invest. You only have so many more years of Paul Schemes for cheap Jared Jones for cheap. This is the time to start building around these guys.
Speaker 3: And while yeah, they have.
Speaker 1: Invested in internal extensions with Hayes, with Reynolds, with Keller, that's just not enough. You've got to find a way to get guys in here to build around what you have. Even if you're confident in what you have internally, you can always add and they haven't done that, and it's a big question.
Speaker 3: I don't know. If guys are reluctant to play here. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And if that's the case, then maybe you got to pay a little bit more money. But they've got to do something moving forward, because yeah, I think they owe it to this group of players, and they owe it to the fans to put forth a little bit more of a presence in the free agent market.
Speaker 2: No I can state this as a fact. Players want to play in Pittsburgh. Okay, they enjoy the ballpark location. I'm generalizing, but there are some places where players are like, you're gonna have to pay me more to go there. Pittsburgh's not one of them. I think the problem is the phone call goes, hey, we've got a one year offer for you, and they.
Speaker 3: Go, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Well, the rest of my offers are three or four. Right. So my question is, do you remember five or six years ago when the tank slash rebuilt began ben Cherrington took over. I think it's been six years now since Charrington and some of the things that were said and how they haven't lived up to the accountability there where it was Okay, we're gonna tank, We're gonna start from scratch. I think the bar is so low in Pittsburgh that they're okay with that as long as they said, Okay, this is the time when we compete, We're going to up the payroll by like twenty thirty million dollars, which in baseball terms is absolute pebbles for any team, any of the thirty teams. Otherwise you should not own.
Speaker 1: A ball club.
Speaker 2: Right. The Pirates are always in the bottom five really of payroll, and they're causing a lot of these payroll disparity concerns in baseball. So my question for you is what is the excuse right now from the front office to try and protect the owner when we've gotten to this point. The front office has done a nice job with some young talent, but they just refuse to play ball.
Speaker 3: I there haven't been many excuses.
Speaker 1: I mean, they've been asked numerous times, you know, why hasn't there been a multi year free agent signing? And their comment is it hasn't been from a lack of trying. So they say they're trying, and I you know, and what can you respond to that, like, well, how hard are you trying?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it is puzzling because you look there, there are bones of a good baseball team here, I think. I mean, you look at this rotation and if you're an impact that and you think, okay, with a little bit more lineup protection, guys like Reynolds, guys like Crews, they could be even more dangerous.
Speaker 3: And they are a couple of pieces away.
Speaker 1: But for one reason or another, they're just haven't been those pieces arriving yet. And I guess it's maybe maybe the front office is really into what they think is right. They have a lot of self belief, but it's got to a point now where they're entering spring training looking to prove to everyone that they were right in everyone else's right, that they didn't need help. And I still even think that that's maybe not the best outlook, because you know, everyone needs help. Everyone can always get better, and there just hasn't been enough addition externally.
Speaker 4: He's very our other team we're previewing today, as the Mariners and their GM came out and said we have a World Series winning team, So maybe maybe the Pirates feel that way. All right, I got to ask you one more before you go, No, I see behind you. Are you You're obviously a Steelers fan, right? Or a Pittsburgh guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yes, Steelers fan? So would you rather have Mike Tomlin who goes nine and seven, nine and eight, ten and seven, loses in the first round every year? Or the Pirates who are in a constant rebuild?
Speaker 1: I mean, as far as coverage wise, I'd like to cover a team that's always in the playoffs because that's just better for my career, I guess, And I also just think that it's for the Steelers. The expectations are just so much different. I mean, I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life. I turned thirty next month. I've been alive for four Pirates winning seasons. They have won a Playoff series in my lifetime, So the bar is just so much lower. Whereas the Steelers every year you're expected to win the Super Bowl, So going ten and seven and losing in the first round.
Speaker 3: For a lot of organizations.
Speaker 1: Throughout all of sports, they would take consistency in getting into the playoffs, even if it meant an early exit. But the Steelers they have a higher bar, whereas the Pirates. Pirates fans, they just want a winning record. They want they want to be able to, you know, watch the team in September in those games to mean something.
Speaker 3: It's been a while since that's been the case here. It hasn't happened once in this regime and we're entering year six.
Speaker 1: So if I were to pick, I would pick that for the Pirates simply because it shows progress. It shows a reason for people to remain invested in this team once the Steelers report to training camp, which has been a struggle for them to remain the top of the town.
Speaker 3: Once you know, the big Dog gets its season going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even think they're in the same stratosphere. I mean, the Steelers have been Super Bowl champs during your lifetime. You haven't even seen playoff series win with the Pirates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, yeah, they didn't win that one wild card game or Johnny not a serious I'm just saying they won that one wildcard game. The Twins counted, so the Pirates can.
Speaker 2: Count it to Okay, fine, we'll count it. It's still misery, so no, thank you for the time, appreciate it. Hoping that this team takes the next step, but we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, thanks for having me on