Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. Well Come, well come, welcome, Well come, well, come, welcome, welcome home.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 3: It's a really, really busy political season. So you guys heard on the main episode we talked about is the Democratic Party ten too big? And so we thought it would be a good opportunity to talk about what is it that we want from our political institutions and specifically the Democratic Party, but maybe that and beyond. So we wanted to have that conversation with you all today. Angela, this is something that came to us from a viewer question, and you thought it was important enough for us to talk about in a larger capacity.
Speaker 2: So why don't you kick us off with your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that what I am really struck by are the number of people who feel abandoned by a two party system, and most specifically based on the people that I speak to the most, or the people even write into our show, comments under our posts, or they send in videos, folks who feel abandoned by something that they've been very, very loyal to, and I think those criticisms are fair. I think with striking are the folks who the party has gone to court, has gone to pursue and thereby leaving its base. Those folks don't feel seen or heard either by the party allegedly, right like when we look at the math, which a math and from the most recent election, hundreds of millions of dollars were spent to court Nikki Haley voters, then Lizen Dick Cheney voters, then Never trumpers, all of these folks, and it looks like, I know, Tip, you said that we shouldn't rely on this data yet, but based on the data that we do have at this point, I doubt it'll change that much. Certainly won't get over into double digits. Four percent right of Republicans voted for Kamala Harris in this last selection. So to me, I just don't understand. I'm not, you know, the best business person in the world, not the best business mind, but I don't understand that ROI that return investment doesn't seem sufficient. And then when I consider my own needs, my family has always voted for the Democratic Party. I can't think of a time where my parents didn't support the Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: But in Seattle, Washington, where I grew up, you know, my.
Speaker 5: Dad has been on the opposite side of every elected official because he's an activist. You know, he hasn't always garnered friends. He's garnered some friendships in some working relationships, but I think largely I have mostly felt abandoned by the party my dad. One of his more recent battles with the governor of the state until recently until assume he recently is Jay Ensley. And when you look at the contracting dollars right of black folks who are in business in the state and the number of contracts that they actually gain from the state, it is ridiculous. We're talking about like point zero zero one percent of contracting dollars going to very qualified black businesses. So I guess what I'm saying is I don't know where we really fit because some of the things that we are actually fighting for as a people should not be partisan either. So I don't think that whether or not a black business is qualified and gets contracting opportunities should be partisan.
Speaker 4: I don't think that voting rights should be partisan.
Speaker 5: I don't think that domestic violence or women's choice reproductive justice should be partisan. So part of me feels like, why should this be a struggle for either party.
Speaker 4: When this is just like what is right is what is humane? Right?
Speaker 5: So I struggle with, like why am I having to ideologically align with any party in this instance on these set of issues. Some of these things find their partisan Let's talk through these. Like I don't think livable wage should be partisan, but I want people to earn a livable wage. I don't think that like climate change should be a debatable but for whatever reason, it is. But I also want to figure out, like in our has those hierarchy of needs, can we align on what our value systems are and like what party, if there's a party, can support those things. I know I just talked to in the circles by bad y'all.
Speaker 1: No, that's real, and I agree with you on what you have identified as what really should be non parties and issues. But it seems the other side works over time to create the divide and not I can't really gather for any other reason than to build their own political power. It's like I've got to be opposed to a woman's bodily alternomy because we got a whole extreme quote Christian coalition who are betting on us to hold this position. I've got to be against DEI and equity and inclusion and making sure we have the work reverse workforces, because I got a whole group of people sitting over here in my back frame who are counting on me to keep this workplace white. And so I don't even know that. I think you would find that the people within the party structure who would say these are kind of natural and frankly human rights, and that I'll not be divisive by and large, But that's not what we're getting these days. What really alarms me. First of all, I was visualizing Eddie Rye is standing up to Jay Insley and jay z better fall back. But in all seriousness, what I'm most concerned about as it relates to the party system two things. One Already, for instance, in the state of Florida, the largest political identity is Republican by a million votes over Democrats, but then they're being closed in on by independents, so we almost have a third a third, a third where folks are choosing no party. Now there is a consequence to this in my state, we have closed primaries. It as exists in almost the majority of states around the country, where if you don't belong to a political party, you may not vote to select who gets to become the nominee of that party for governor, for US Senate, for really important seats. And that is troubling to me because it's just now at the point where black people can choose nominees of their choices in a lot of states, where younger people in coalition with the black and brown community can choose candidates of their choice, and right at that very moment, we're now seeing defections from the party and into an independent structure who don't who don't have a voice in that process. So that aloarns me at one level. The second thing that alarns me as we think about takeaways from this last election is just the same theme of the independence and their performance have outperformed Democrats, meaning more people who were non party registrants and the registratives independents. They showed out the second highest of all groupings of voters by party, including over the Democrats. And what is that saying? And I think the complexity the problem that the Democratic Party faces, which I consider myself a member of and have had at various times leadership in and have been my state party's standard bearer. When I was a nominee for governor of Florida, and I took that as a real serious responsibility to speak to the needs of the people in our state who had basically withdrawn themselves from the process, their belief in and their faith in the process, because after all the sky is falling, and after all the promises of what I'm going to do when you put us there, these folks still buying laws were finding themselves in the same unchanged political and social and living environments. And so I worry that if we aren't very strategic about where we decide to place ourselves, not only on the spectrum of identity in politics, but also for the purposes of gaining political power, so that we are at the negotiating table deciding what goes where into whom I feel that we negotiate ourselves into irrelevance, and I think it has to be balanced by a real strategy of building power and then with that power, negotiating better positionality for ourselves, because I can't think of a more generous people, a more inclusive people of people who are so attached to the trauma that we've experienced over the course of our lives that we identify with any community who is experiencing trauma. We go to the defense, to the aid of and then once those communities find themselves in positions of power, they negotiate us out of the table. They negotiate us away from power and away from positionality in a way from getting what we need to serve ourselves, our families and our communities. I don't know the answer, Tiff and Angela, but I do know that whatever that answer is, strategy lays at the center of it. And I think the strategy has to center our community and our community's needs, and everything else is subjugated to that. Not around a personality, not around a person, not around a part of a state or a state, but around our needs. And if you comport to that, if you can perform on that and for us on that, then we can talk. But outside of that, I can't do. I receive what y'all were saying earlier around we're not in the I can't be doing the coalition stuff right now, and I'm not all the way there. But I will tell you that my coalition is going to begin with the folks who I care about the most and who sit at the intersection of the greatest degree of harm and impact from this society. That's who's at the center of my coalition.
Speaker 3: So I want to say really quickly first that there are a lot of I would argue most states, if you do not.
Speaker 2: Belong to a party, you cannot participate in the primary.
Speaker 3: There are a few states that have what they call a jungle primary, which was what Andrew was referencing, where anybody can vote for anybody.
Speaker 2: There are some arguments to be made about that.
Speaker 3: There's also a lot of arguments around ranked choice voting, which means that you know, whoever got the most votes wins, whoever got the second most votes, they can go to a runoff or.
Speaker 1: Sometimes first option, my second option, my third option, right, and all those votes count exactly.
Speaker 3: But what's interesting, we actually have a viewer question that speaks to I think a lot of what we're talking about.
Speaker 6: Good evening, Angela, Tiffany, and my man, Andrew. This is Mante from Maryland, and I had a question for you.
Speaker 5: Just like you, I've.
Speaker 6: Mourned, I've asked numerous questions. I've avoided watching the news, and you know, now I'm at the point of acceptance and now I'm wondering based on something that you mentioned in your mini pot about how we as Democrats failed at the ground roots level of reaching out to everybody and organizing at that place. What should we do right now? We got four years of BS that we know we're gonna have to deal with, But what should we be doing right now to prepare for those midterm elections and especially for that presidential election in four years. Yeah, we don't have a rough road to hole, but it is what it is now. But what can we be doing right now? What do we do at the ground roots level? How do we organize at this point? What can someone like me who does not live in a swing state do to affect the overall the country. I just want us to have a goal and something in mind and motivate us for these next few years as we deal with what we're going to deal with. But any ideas you asked Ham will be most appreciated. Thank you for all you do and welcome home.
Speaker 2: Welcome home to you Monte from Maryland.
Speaker 3: I love that question, and you know, I think Andrews as a politician and Angela as a strategist definitely have a lot to say about it. What I would say, the first thing that is really important to me, especially as a black man. You can stay informed and share responsibly, like I always say. You though you're not in a swing state, Maryland is solid blue, but I'm sure you have friends outside of Maryland who might be in swing states, who might not be as engaged in the process, who might be frustrated like we all feel, who might be ready to tune out and kick back and just throwing up their hands like epic, because I know I feel that way on some days. And you could be talking to those people, checking in, letting them know. There are no off year elections. There are still those local elections that matter. If you're a parent, show up to those school board meetings, encourage your other friends to do the same. The state elections that matter, the state legislatures Republicans that made big gains there as well. So if your friends are in other places where that matters, pay attention to what's happening there, even in Maryland, pay attention to what's happening there, and just don't tune out, don't give up. I think that's keenly the most important thing. And consider yourself an organizer, you know, if you even But I think it's also something important to say, even if it's not a swing state, right, even though Maryland is blue, there is still a party infrastructure there. I don't I'm not a member of the Democratic Party. I just vote mostly are always a vote Democrat. But there's still a party infrastructure there that needs to be disrupted. You can still get involved on that level and make sure your issues as a black man are heard, that you're represented, because that's what we have to start convincing our people. What does this democracy look like if you get to shape it. And I think why we saw people stay home a lot last cycle is they gave up on that, on that part of the dream. They let America capture their imagination in the wrong way. So even if you're just tapping into the imagination of your group chat, your college friends, your voids at the barber, whatever it is, I hope you can be a voice to lead the people to a righteous belief in what America owes us. And as always I would encourage you to tell your friends to tap in the native lampid where we keep it a buck and we talk about things in a very plain, digestible way to make people feel very welcome and knowledgeable.
Speaker 4: In this part of the process Turf.
Speaker 1: I thought that was an excellent response, And really, all I would add is one triple double down on your point around not a swing state, but you are a state. You are in a state, and that state has a mayor, bunches of them all over. They've got school boards, they have county commission races, they have municipal races. They got judge races, state attorneys races, judges, judges, judges who seek public office. So if there was a thing that I would recommend, it would be I would get together with those friends who are concerned and are interested and are a little bit displaced by what's happening at the federal level, and I would decide on some targets. How are those school board members performing for you? Are they out there banning books? Are they embracing curriculums that are inclusive of others? How those city commission races are they appropriating money and your part of the community and in parts of the community that need investments the most. How those judges doing those judges that like to be sleepy around election season so you don't notice them, but when it's not an election season, they are ruling against our people. Not giving us chances, not seeing us as human in those courtrooms, I would start to interrogate right where you live whether or not the people are there and acting in your interests, the people who are there if they are acting in your interests, and if they are not. The beauty, but also the disappointment about our process is is in midterm elections and in local elections, the drop off of voters is spectacular, and I don't mean that in a good way. It is huge. The opportunity moment that that creates is that you get to frankly, if you can organize a few of your friends and hit some doors, you can pretty much elect the candidates of your choice to these local municipal offices. Make your targets. Now, decide who's up, and determine whether or not they are in service to you or not being of service to you. And then amongst you all, you figure out who you all are going to run. And I don't mean just this question or I'm talking for all of us. That's power that we can command. And then once those folks are in those positions, we can then elevate them to state legislature, into congressional seats, into US Senate seats and so on and so forth. I think y'all get the picture. But this democracy is going to be saved by each and every one of us acting right where we are. Swing state, no state, no electoral vote. I'm not worried about that. I'm talking about how we rescue this place is by putting ourselves in position so that when the opportunity creates yourself, we got folks who are right, they're ready to move into it.
Speaker 3: And Mark o'nalley is trying to lead the Democratic Party. I don't know if y'all saw that news. He's writ in your backyard. He's right in Maryland, So make friends and have him be sure to make you his friends.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Angel, and that's definitely not an endorsement for the incoming DNC chair. Just to be super super clear, let's go wide open race. I was going to say, Andrew, one of the things that I know that you are so gifted at is building a bench.
Speaker 4: But I would caution us about building a bench before we have a clear understanding of the needs of the people.
Speaker 5: Your last point was an excellent point around, you know, really making sure that you are running people and there are ballid initiatives that speak to the needs of the people of the masses. In order for us to do that, we got to do a lot more listening. The question was is the Democratic Party tent too big? I don't know the answer to that, but what I can tell you is I cannot think of a year where I felt fully seen by the party. I had moments of high hope. Nineteen eighty eight, Reverend Jackson, you know, I was listening to his speech this morning. Roland sends it periodically to a group chat that we all have, and I was like, I just want to hear about the importance of the Rainbow Coalition to get so I don't lose hope in it. And I also think about two thousand and eight, you know, crying with some of our elder statesmen, some of our elder states women about the importance of supporting President Obama for office. And I think about your race, Andrew. It meant the world to me to see you as a governor elect. I believed, you know, who happened to be black, but spoke to the needs of so many people. You were not myopic. But I also think that some of these candidates are once in a lifetime candidates they really are. I felt like I might be potentially seen if Kamala Harris would have won, And I felt a little seen when Katanji Brown Jackson and Kamala Harris were named right by President Biden.
Speaker 4: Just I just don't want us so.
Speaker 5: Distracted by the symbolism of a thing that we lose track of the very important substance of the thing. And right now, what I'm deeply concerned about within politics overall are the number of people who are erased in the process. The turnout this election was abysmal. It is irresponsible, it is reckless. But I don't hold that necessarily just over the people. I have to hold that over the parties. Who are you not speaking to? Who doesn't feel heard?
Speaker 4: How can we reach you?
Speaker 5: How can this podcast reach you so that we have an understanding of the needs that of yours that are not being met, That must be that should be by the political process, because your tax pay our dollars pay for them to be met.
Speaker 4: Right, Like, what do we need to do? I want to get underneath that. I don't.
Speaker 5: I do think the party might be too large, But I think the party might be too large because it hasn't figured out a way to adequately speak to the needs of all these people. I also think that it may not be large enough because as it is right now, there's not a clear path to victory. So that means that there's something missing. There are some issues missing. There's pieces of the platform that are missing. There's a Palestinian American that didn't speak on the DNC stage in the summer missing.
Speaker 4: There are you know, like we're like, we we have a problem in this country.
Speaker 5: I'm saying we and we have a problem, like we got to figure out a way not to treat people like they don't matter and then just erase them and then hope they don't show up to vote against us. Like that's not that's not democracy.
Speaker 1: To me, No, but it is very emblematic of what it means to try to arrest power. And I think all parties, regardless of you know, affiliation, ultimately that's what they're climbing toward. That's why I elected officials aren't really out for everybody to vote. They're out for the people who are going to vote for them, to ensure that they get out to vote. That's why we are doing Valterea rallies all over the city. We're doing voter rallies in places where we're trying to stimulate a particular vote to vote a particular way to achieve a particular win, and I would.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 1: I think part of the let me acknowledge that it is easier to do the job that Republicans have to do. It is it is much easier if we were their party, and that's because they are. They are the they are the majority, and largely are are organized around the protection of that majority, and whatever ways we want to start to shred it, but largely it's we have power and it is our job to keep it. And if that means I'm going to harm myself, but my alignment and proximity to the people who are at the top of that chain is so close that I'll benefit from it, then I'll make that sacrifice. So their job is easier. Ours is harder. And the other thing about our job is we think that everybody in that coalition shares our belief system along the spectrum of policies, and some folks are just there because the other side won't make a home for them, the other side will not be in coalition with them, and so they're here in this shared space. But quite frankly, they ain't standing with us on black lives, then I going to stand next to you on issue X, Y and Z, and so the listening part is going to be important. But then also some hard decisions are going to have to be made if this is only cozy for you for this reason, hey, we can't rock.
Speaker 2: Well this istitly a conversation that is ongoing. You can't get to it all now.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we we all have so much to say about this, but we we we lose our just so you guys know, we normally we like keep the party going, but we lose our our video crew at a certain hour and we we definitely want to honor workers right here, so let our go. So this is but what will we visit this conversation many times and and would love to hear your thoughts and and your suggestions about it. Like we said, we want to make sure that you all have a seat at the table too and how you think we should move forward. So thanks for tuning into this mini pod. Remember our minipods drop every single Monday. You can catch them on YouTube. You can also get them anywhere you hear your podcast and be sure to tune in and we'll see you next week on our main episode.
Speaker 2: We'll also see you every Monday on the minipod.
Speaker 4: Thanks for tuning in, Welcome home, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reaisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.