Speaker 1: Hi Ramond, Welcome to the re Nice Up Centers podcast. I am in Washington, d C. And Kaitlin you are in New York City. Got a lot to talk about this week. What's on your mind before we get going, Kaitlin, I haven't seen you at all.
Speaker 2: No, you came back from travels and you were only in New York for a couple of days. I was not here and now I'm about to go to Europe myself because we just put our latest issue to bed and this is one of the only times that anything I do doesn't matter because the issue is already on the printing press, which you know, we make an analog product, so it stays in the world of the real So you have to send it to them, they have to print it, they have to bind it, and then they have to send it to people. And while that is happening, there's absolutely nothing I can do. So it's a really actually nice forced break because, as you've very well know, between coaching and broadcasting and doing the many things that you do, the slams are just absolutely hectic, crazy times and that's definitely true for us at Racket, and we have all these.
Speaker 1: Events and many da da da dah. Maybe we even will do a.
Speaker 2: Live podcast edition at some point if you'd like, during the US Open season here in New York. So it's a nice little forced sort of disco nap of sorts for me. And I'm about to go to Europe, but tell me about d C. I love DC and I love that tournament, and I know you do too, so I would love to start there since it is hard court season and they have an incredible field this year.
Speaker 1: They do. But I just want to ask, what is a disco nap? Oh, it's you don't know this.
Speaker 2: You're always telling me all sorts of insane Australian slang, so I'm sort of surprised you don't know this, which must be maybe more North American slang.
Speaker 1: A disco nap is at the disco.
Speaker 2: No, it is a brief rest you take before you go out so you have renewed energy to hit the town.
Speaker 1: Okay, things I learn. I mean, there are things that I say as an Australian that you probably think, what the WTF is that? But there you go. I know what a disco nap is, Thank you very much. DC. It is hot. It is incredibly popular in the evenings because after about seven pm it gets real beautiful to watch tennis here, but in the day it is a hard slog for these players, so they start at eleven, they go through the day. We've got an incredible field ahead of us here, including you know, the likes of Iyala playing Chin Win in the first round. Of course, what Venus Williams back. Even the qualifying was super competitive. We've got some great guys playing here as well. The first matchup with Alex Dimenor, who's of course the defending champion here up against your favorite Steph sits a pass. So yeah, it's awesome. I love this week. Mark Ian does a great job here of promoting tennis, and you know, the local area really love tennis here.
Speaker 2: You know, I know you have a personal connection to the city. You plead for mark Ain's World Team Tennis team there for a time, along with Venus and Serena.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, I did both Venus and Serena, so they love coming here, I think, you know, originally even Serena was maybe thinking about coming here just because of her friendship with Mark Iroin as well, but that was put on the back burner. But Venus World Team Tennis was something I love to play at the late thirteen season World Team Tennis, and I can honestly say that playing on Mark's team was also always so great because he treats the players really really well here, you know, from the food to I know that he's trying to get the community and the actual city of Washington to expand this site. And it does need to expand because of the popularity, because of the field that they do get. It's it's they need the help from the the city. It's kind of like in New York, why we can't expand a little bit more at the US Open. It is because the park, which is right up against the Flushing Meadow area of the National Tennis Center, it means the city to say, yeah, you can expand a little bit, but they sort of don't want them to do that, and they are constantly fighting against it. So Mark's always kind of trying to schmooze. I mean, I'm in his suite quite a bit this in the week, just because I'm here all day, the amount of politicians that come through there for him to try and convince them to expand this great tournament. So hopefully that continues and the park does get a little bit more and an expansion because they do need it. I mean, the courts are packed here, but it's a great event if you want to come down, if you're in the Tri State area before the US Open and you don't want to pay the astronomical fees of the US Open, you get a field that you get here because they do a great job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually you know on that point.
Speaker 2: My wife is an urban planner, and I can tell you the perspective of the New York City leadership is that the USTA has not always paid its bills, and they are a nonprofit, and there's a lot of stuff in the USTA side scoop can and should be doing. I mean this has been reported the New York Times. It's they're not exactly great tenants and they were given massive, massive tax breaks already to build on that site. So for me, the USTA one of the many things that Craig Tiley can and should consider doing now that he has taken over the leadership as the CEO of the USTA, is thinking about what would make for a better US Open experience, thinking about what would make for good improvements. I know they have a massive budget, couple hundred million dollars to improve the facilities. I would love to see them reconsider the site altogether and bring it in close to the city like Melbourne has done with their fantastic urbanized playing center, so that it becomes a year round utility, a place for concerts for families. Yeah, I would put it on Randall's Island. Yeah, I take over Randall's Island. I think that that's an actual not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: You know, as much as the USTA have tried to change so many things and tried to it does need to be bigger, It needs to be expanded, It needs a little bit easier access from the city like Melbourne does. That would be a great idea. And I know that the Arthur Ash Stadium, as huge as it is, it's just I mean to watch in there. The noise, the ambient noise, ambient noise is just rough. The roof they had to put over the top. They couldn't attach it to the stadium because if they attached it to the actual stadium it would sink. Because the USTA site is on an actual landfill, so over the years it just goes down slowly every single year. So if they put the stadium with the roof attached to it, it would have just sunk. So they had to put these massive pielines all the way down to the literally the Earth to be able to put a canopy essentially over the top of Arthur Ash Stadium. So you know the amount of money that has been spent on that. Yeah, I mean I'm for it, like start again, but yeah again. Yeah, but they can't, Caitlin, because they've just put so much money into.
Speaker 2: Real I do anything if I were to believe that.
Speaker 1: The points on Earth were fixed.
Speaker 2: I mean, we thought that Earth was flat a couple of hundred years ago, and people can't go to space like people could do anything they want to like. For me, it's a matter of getting public will and trying to figure out what's best for the community. But anyway back to d C, Mark Ein has done a fantastic job for me between Washington d C, which because of Mark, gets a phenomenal field and has some phenomenal VIP experiences, even if it is built on a public tennis facility, one that I used to play when I lived in DC and worked for the Washington Post. I would go play at Carter Baron, which is in a national it's in a park, Rock Creek Park, I believe, and you know, it's one of a handful of tournaments that if your price out of the US Open, if you looked at the grounds, past day costs and how much they've astronomically risen in the last couple of years, and gotten frustrated with the fact that the tournament is kind of oversold and overbooked and it's filled with, you know, influencers getting free tickets who maybe don't appreciate tennis as much consider the rest of the US and North American hard court swing. Montreal is a fantastic town. It happens to be my hometown. Toronto is a fantastic town. Both have incredible food cities. They're both incredible hospitality places to visit. The tournament obviously attracts the best in class. You're in DC. We did a project this year with Los Cabos, mainly because I like Los Cabos and I think it's a really, really, really fun place to visit. There's amazing hotels, and Misslin stands like there's a lot of options for watching tennis, and one of the things I would love to use this platform of our conversation that we've been having now for you know, almost a decade. Is to encourage people like, hey, you've been to some of the slams awesome deeper cut time, like, let's go venture forth into some of the other tournaments. You're going to be shocked at how much you enjoy them. And it doesn't carry the fee and the headache and the you know, logistical nightmare of a lot of the bigger tournaments because they're more excited for you to be there because they are hungry for fans.
Speaker 1: And that's definitely true of DC. Yeah, I agree one hundred percent. And there are some amazing places around the world that you can go and watch amazing tennis all the time. I think you put Rome up there, you put Madrid, even though not really a lover of that stadium. But you know, when you think about the places, you can actually get lost Carba. So you can go to some amazing Indian Wells, which is why Indy Wells is so popular because it's such a great place. And guess what, you can go watch the WTA finals at the end of the year in a time where the weather will be kind of nice, it will be cool at night, it'll be interesting to see how the weather goes there, And I guess to be continued with that conversation until it's over. Speaking of before we get to some of the great things that happened over the last week, but speaking of Montreal and Toronto, of course Yannick Sinner and Novak Djokovic out in Canada because this calendar, we've been talking about it forever. In a day, I just how do we fix this? How do we fix an amazing And I want to preface by saying the Canadian Open one of my favorite tournaments. Every single time I played, the crowd support is astronomic, how good it is. They love their tennis in Canada, they love this time of the year. But when you lose, you know, your two biggest marquee stars in Janick Center and of course no Carlos al Karaz and now Novak Djokovi, Like, how do we change this narrative, Caitlin of this calendar being such a nightmare. And I don't blame Yanick for not playing. It was a bear of a schedule for him doing what he dared, played all those clay court tournaments, lost at you know, really tough match to the French. Then goes and wins Wimbledon. He doesn't play anything prior. Maybe he learned a lesson about the load of tennis that he did before the French And then people have the audacity be like, well, he has an opportunity to when all the masters won thousands this year, why wouldn't.
Speaker 2: He do it?
Speaker 1: I was like, well, cause do you think he cares about that? I mean, it really cares about that. Like he's got so many records now for being the youngest to do this and the youngest to do that. He just won Wimbledon. His only thinking right now is how can I win the US Open? So not playing in Canada clearly opens up the book a little bit for him to do the rest that he needs and then do the workload in Cincinnati and then take a week off and then play the US Open, which is a too sick.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I kind of want to answer your question with another question, which is I have my own opinions about how we go forward, because I think the emphasis on the Slams has hurt everything else and now we're really seeing.
Speaker 1: That it's not changing. Caitlin, that's not changing.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me that because one of the conversations that I most enjoy, and I would argue one of the conversations people most enjoy hearing is when we come up with solutions. And one of the quickest ways to shut down a solution is to say it's been done before, nobody's going to change it. My point earlier stands, who's to say we can't radically alter the entirety of the tournament. All it would take is one sizeable outside investor, which by the way, that exists in other sports, to come in and say, Nope, we're going to totally up everything on its heads, or we're gonna withdraw player support for the Slams. Slams weren't always the measure, and they became overemphasized in the last couple of years because it's fun to track counts. But the truth is, and I think you would agree with this players. My impression is players in the forties, fifties, sixties and seventies would rather have a roam open than some of the other Slams. Maybe not, but certainly Australia Norue. No, you cannot tell me that people would prefer to go to Rome over Melbourne. I'm not saying they would prefer to go. I'm saying that that tournament was less prestigious. I'm also saying.
Speaker 1: One hundred, yes, sixty years ago. Absolutely, that's what you're saying. You're not going to tell me that Madison Keys not not right now.
Speaker 2: But again, the future doesn't need to be what we have today. And in fact, when we were doing the World Team Tennis documentary film along with A twenty four, my impression is that that film currently sits with the new owners of World Team Tennis.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to see what happens.
Speaker 2: Is that they paid the athletes to commit to seasons that put their schedule in conflict with the Slams, and so they would miss the French Open in Wimbledon. So but it comes down to them, because of course, of course it does. But my point is it's not about the prestige. If all of a sudden the Master's one thousands prize money were double the Slams, how fast would the dynamic change?
Speaker 1: The Slams were the most important thing, it's sports. Well just answer the question immediately. Well, I can tell you you're talking live right, You're talking live golf over the PGA Tour. You're talking necessarily just but I'll the same thing follow the I'm telling you, Like, yes, players would go and play, But players can go and play an exhibition for a million dollars like Kyle's Alkoraz and Janick Sine. I can go and play an exhibition anytime they want for a million dollars. If Rome, let's take Rome.
Speaker 2: If Rome paid twice the Australian Opens prize purse and we're scheduled at the same time, what would happen?
Speaker 1: I think that most players would still want to have a Grand Slam under their belt.
Speaker 2: How long do you think it would take for Rome to be considered the forced Slam instead of Australia.
Speaker 1: I think touching hypotheticals that are honestly not going to happen. They're just not going to happen. Because I get what you're saying. I understand the premise of what you're saying. You're trying to say that in so many ways, it's like players did this once upon a time, Right, they did this. They chose the money, they chose the they chose not going to Australia, for example. And I don't like the fact that you pick Australia and one of the reasons. It's an outline. It's an outlier because back in the day, you would have to get on a fucking boat to go to Australia. Okay, so you know that that's a small difference. Right now you can go first class and emirates and have your own room. So it's like, I think the difference is, rather than try and detract from the slams and sort of change that narrative, I think we have more of a Formula one style right where you have like ten, ten, fifteen prestigious events. I mean, look what they're trying to do with doubles now, they're trying to condense that down and sort of like pill for that out. You know, I've had a few people come to me and like you should support doubles. I'm like, well, I do to a certain degree, but I don't support someone ranked sixty five in the ROLD playing I'm going to get in so much shit for saying this, but you know, someone playing doubles only that's seventy in the world as a doubles ranking. Ah, And I think that the WTA should be supporting them necessarily, right. They're not adding, they're not you know, no one's going to watch a seventieth ranked doubles player playing a doubles tournament, you know, when there's five people watching. So I mean Riley Opeerlka has a point there to some degree. Now, if you're top ten in doubles and you're in the semis and finals every week, you're sort of adding to a finals experience for a fan. So I don't mind those smaller draws to take away some of the expenses, especially for the smaller tournaments. But you know, in the end, I think that I like the prestige of the Grand Slams. I like the prestige of on golf, for example, the Masters, the PGA, the US Open, you know, for women, the Avian. There is a prestige about that, and I think that that's really valuable for the context of of greatness in our sport, right It's like winning a Super Bowl. But at the same time, I think that we can do a better job at condensing the tours down and you know, finding sponsorship that will bring a smaller calendar where we're not having back to back Masters one thousands like we do, or w taer one thousands like we do in Canada and Cincinnati, because Canada is the one that is going to be the one that's going to flip the weeks, flip the weeks, maybe, you know. So Cincinnati is the second week and Montreal is the second week because every player is going to play a Cincinnati over a Montreal because they don't want to have two weeks before a Slam. They want to have a week, right, they want to have great tennis and then a week because whoever wins Cincinnati, for me, is always a favorite for the US Open, for example, because they're playing the best. Then they get the week off and then they go into the US Open. But winning Montreal, it's like, now we've got three weeks till the US Open. I don't know, it just feels. Look what happened at Wimbledon. Noskova and Mukhova, they won Berlin, they won bard Hamburg, they had a week off. That's who did the best at one right.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I think this sort of makes my point for me, which is, I'm not talking about I'm glad izing that for you, decreasing the relevance of the Slams. I'm talking about elevating the relevance of the Masters. One thousands, because I think part of that is and part of the downside of DC, for example, is and I'm sure Mark would tell you this. I bet he wishes he had a better week on the calendar. You see, it's the swampiest, it's the hottest, it's about one thousand percent humidity, and so those evening matches are glorious, but the day matches are tough, and I think if they could have a different schedule they would, and frankly, it might be time. Considering how many resources and how big a city DC is, that that could or should be considered, especially because it's dual gender, a bigger deal than it is now. They've already fought to get it to five hundred status on both tours, which is awesome, and I think it could and should be higher. Winning the Canadian Open used to be more prestigious than now, people thinking of it as as a warm up act. And so I think this all comes down to the same point, which is there needs to be some push and pull on the calendar. That absolutely means winners and losers. Unfortunately, Yeah, it means it needs to mean that the tournaments are not It's not you know, it's not Jeff Bezos or people living in favelas, which is essentially what we're trending towards, both in our society and also on the tours, where the slams of the haves and everybody else's the have nots. But it needs to be okay, these one thousands are the Formula one tour. Maybe some of the tournaments have more history and have more prestige, but it needs to be closer to parody. And I think the reason that the tournaments are so plagued with with jaws is, as you suggest, the calendar, but also because this past year we've had the two week Masters one thousands, and that theoretically was supposed to buy the players more rest days. It theoretically was supposed to buy the players an easier travel schedule, and what I think it actually has done is create a catastrophic situation where the players are intelligently don't have time. Nightmare and they don't have time, so there's just skipping tournaments as opposed to missing some days. That's obviously terrible, I feel, And there's.
Speaker 1: Zero points if you don't come, you know, nonsense, no one, no one gives a shit anymore about that They're like, well, so what I'd rather win the US Open. You know, I'd rather have another week where I actually rest my body. And that's the bottom line. You know, from the first look what happened at Wimbledon. Janick Sinner went five sets in the first round, five sets in the first round. So you think about the parody of Tennessee's days. Even though Yannick is beating most people, and you know, after that, he won I think every match in straight sets except the final. It's like, you know, he is going to win matches quite comfortably. But at the same time, it's the stress. It's not just the playing, it's the stress. And you think about, you know, the mental emotional stress that the best player in the world or the best couple of players in the world feel every single time they play and wake up. It's a lot of emotional stress. And so to have that extra week of not stressing is really important for these players to be able to have longevity in their career. Anyway, I agree, Yeah, let's have a break, let's come back, and we got so much more to talk about from DC. Okay, so, Caitlin, some fun little things that happened this past week before we get to some questions from our view as our listeners is Lily Tagger.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to talk about Lily Tagger. I watched a single one of her matches in Prague. I give it to a person in Rome. I watched hours and hours of Lily Tagger. She is the real deal. This was I heard some stirrings of her, especially when she competed in Lean's. I believe towards the end of last year she went pro. She won French Open Junior Girls Austrian girl six to one, beautiful one handed backhand. I can't wait to talk about it with you, because you appreciate this more than other people.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get.
Speaker 2: Ahead of myself, but it seems to me this is the most excited I've been about watching a player in forever. It seems to me she is the reincarnation of Justin Anna, which I am always trying to talk about Justine Hill for a couple of reasons, because she has a beautiful game, but also because she played very brave all court tennis. She had incredibly soft hands. She moved forward with these and she really took it to a lot of players who were bigger and hitting through the court more than she was because of her incredible timing and you know sort of determination. Lily Tagger has all that, and she's six'. One she's got a serve that's a, cannon and she's got a forehand that's a, rifle and her backhand is not only not a, weakness it is a multifaceted tool with which she can do whatever she. Wants and she's not afraid to come.
Speaker 1: In.
Speaker 2: Now i've seen this girl play in. PERSON i watched her At Indian wells lose To Maria. Sachary In, STRAITS i saw her Play Maria sakary again in person In, rome got to set Off Maria zachary this, time little, inexperienced little nerves looking, up this is WHEN i realized she was being coached by again one of my favorite players of all, time Frances Kis. GAVONE i looked up in the box BECAUSE i hear This austrian girl speaking Fluent italian with the umpire asking FOR i don't, know more bananas or, something AND i was, like, wait, What and THEN i look up in the coaching. Box It's lallynessa, Herself milan's finest grandson Winner Francescas gavone And i'm, like, Okay i'm locked. IN i see this girl week in week Out, wimbledon she lose his first round but gets a. Set In, athens she wanted a couple of, rounds fell a little. Short this week In prague second finals she'd ever been. In won it, handily especially after kind of mounting a pretty good comeback after The ukrainian player, sneaker who's got kind Of Angelie kerber. Vibes but really the match of the tournament was her incredible win Over Barber kujikova in the. Semifinals did you watch that match With Barbara kujigo And Lily. TAGGER i have a feeling it was popcorn for, you BECAUSE i know that was parpcorn for. Me.
Speaker 1: YEAH i mean she's a. Kid she's, eighteen and we say that Mirror andreva just want A Grand, slam not that much. Older but the difference is her game, style, right as you already, mentioned the, serve the all court, play the, slice back, end the one, hander the coming into the. Net she's kind of she's very. Tall she's going to grow into her, body and most people that become that tall so young are also a little bit like a deer on. ICE i MEAN i remember talking To Maria sharapova about that when she grew like an enormous mount between the, ages like fifteen, sixteen but an all court, player which she, is a player that likes to come, in a player that has that sort of like A Carolina mouhover in a lot of ways Except. Carolina Maybe carolina should have had a one hander because her backhand is her. Weakness AND i said, that, honestly same As Sam. Stosa sam had a two hander back, end should have had a one, hander Ash, BARDY i thought could have been better even with the one. Hander And i'd bring up these people because they all have weaknesses on their, backhand AND i think.
Speaker 2: The greek, places and if they had paired the great slice with a great topsman, Backhand you're totally, right it could have gone from defense to offense.
Speaker 1: Because they're, strong right Ash Sam. Mukhova they're all naturally like kind of jockey and, strong so they could have, probably but they were taught with for two. Hands, anyway that's a whole different story we could talk.
Speaker 2: About but, well ACTUALLY i kind of do want to get into it because the bravery of committing to a one hitded, backhand especially for a, woman should Be and that's really WHY i want to talk, about not only Justin, hannah But Amaly. Moresmo this has disappeared on the men's tour and it's.
Speaker 1: SCAVY i mean it's been atomized on the women's. Tour almost no.
Speaker 2: Swears navarro generation had. It Rambon Suarez navarro one of my favorite. Players it's a dying art and then all of a sudden you see it back and you're, like, well why did this ever go? Away when it's deployed, correctly when coaches have the patience to teach, it it can be a. Weapon can, you as a coach and a player who has an excellent one hinded, backhand both slice and?
Speaker 1: Over what is this?
Speaker 2: About why it's hard to, Teach why maybe not everybody's up for. IT i switched from two to one and it was the best THING i ever. Did what can you tell me about the decision to do? It BECAUSE i think we're going to be talking About Lily tagger for a long time AND i want to go on the record, now both as a fan and also somebody who really wants to understand how she could represent WHAT i think should be a weave and maybe won't be or maybe will.
Speaker 1: Be but what are your thoughts about. That there's a couple of reasons why this happens.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Right one is a lot of young women we're talking, six, seven eight years of, age, right they pick up a racket for the first. Time it's really hard for them to hit technically a one handed back end because they don't have the. Strength, Right so most young, kids most coaches will see a young woman and men and men to a certain, degree but little you, know young, boys they just are, stronger you, know with their one arm to be able to hit a one handed back. End and most girls grab the racket with two hands and they hit a two handed back, end and then the coach, goes great, Job, okay keep that doing. That so it comes down to, physicality comes down to, Strength it comes down to just the basics of hitting your first tennis ball are easier with technically two hands on the. Racket SO i think it comes from the very start of when a player starts playing tennis and they a young girl will put two hands on the. Racket and also when you see, it you want to be. It so if you love watching tennis and your parents love watching, tennis and you're watching Sable, anka and you, know go down the list of women that are playing on the. Tour they all have two hand a, backhand so of course they naturally start wanting to play, like, oh my favorite, Player Serena, Williams, oh my favorite, player you, Know Angie, kerber whatever it. Is you all have two. Hands so that's part of, it and the physicality part of. It it also is part of you, know most people will say to return a, serve especially serve that's coming out you at one hundred and. Twenty you, know if you're playing Against Cocoa golf or Sable anka and you're hitting serves that are one fifteen miles an hour and, above it's easier to return that with two, hands for. Sure SO i think that we're going to continue to see the two handed back ends because also on the women's, tour ninety nine percent of, them ninety nine percent all have better two handed back ends than four. Hands like if they had to choose to hit a backhand or a foehand on match, point they're hitting. Backhands unless They're Carolina, muhova they're hitting for who's going to run around that forehand backhand and hit a fourhand, Right so you, know and the people THAT i brought up At Ash party Is Sam. Stozer they're going to run around and hit a four hand all. Day so it comes down to the, Physicality it comes down to what they, see and it also comes down to the strength to be able to hit a return of serve or a big. Ball with two hands is. Easier SO i wouldn't necessarily teach a one handed. BACKHAND i think you have to see what a player is physically like if they if A Lily taggert for, sure came and was like oh, BOOM i was, like, okay well you can turn and still strike that backhand as well as a two, hander and you are a little bit of a, jock which she, is and you're, Strong keep the one, hander keep the one. Hander. Now that's where comes down to having such an important role model or coach in your life at early stages of when you start playing tennis and, recognizing for, example On Nash, PARTY i would, say, listen you have really strong. Arms you're able to hit a fourhand toppy like Justin, anna very good. Example you know your favorite is that you had the strength to be able to hit a fourhand the way you. Do that's why Sam stoza should have had a one hander back, end because she had that short back swing with really quick, hands and that's what her one handed back end would have been like as. Well she was, strong and she was very very. Strong well look at her, kicksurf so her shoulders and her ability better hit one handed back end would have been much better for her than to have a two, hander which was very slappy and not good with the left. Hand if you Watch serena, practice And i've done this a million times, now she will hit one handed four hands with her left, hand and her one handed forehand with the left hand is as good as my regular, forehand like any good two handed Backhand Maria. Sharapova, SERENA i would, argue most everyone has a really good left hand and they use it a lot right, so which is Why Raphael nadal was so good with his, backhand for, example because he was a natural right. Hander SO i think it comes down to a lot of those. Reasons but With, LILY i, think And i'm going to make a big statement, here she's good now at eighteen she just won her first. TOURNAMENT i think she's going to be even better at twenty, eight, agree because she's going to learn how to utilize all of those beautiful strokes like A mohova when she gets to the twenty, six twenty, seven twenty eight years of her. Age AND i think that's Why muhova's doing. Better she's not injured every week as. Well knock on, Wood BUT i think when you have the choice of shots that these players have and they're not just a ball basher like with just whacking the ball at like eighteen, YEARS i, Mean Mira andreva is a little bit different because she doesn't really have a quote unquote massive, game but she has a very beautiful. Game but she's a little different because she's in tactfully very good and or dwell and has good. Hands but, yeah all of the.
Speaker 2: Things tagger has more, tools AND i think those tools take longer develop AND i think that's where you, know for the casual tennis, fan why it's such a delight to, watch even if you're not sure why you love. IT i, Mean federer is the best example of all people who even casually like, tennis understand that they're watching something very. Beautiful it's not just the one hit a, Backhand it's not just the feathery. Footsteps you, Know cinner has. That nobody who's a better, mover probably Than Novak. Djokovic you, know there's certain aesthetic things that you look at a court and you, say, ah now that's, incredible and you maybe can't describe. It for, me what is so exciting about this young kid is she has these tools that you say are going to. Develop she, has Like Yannick, cinner a background in skiing in The Austrian. ALPS i, mean In sinner's, CASE i think it was more The Italian, alps but it's from a pretty similar part of the, world and they are, solid, strong and there's a base there that's not just you, know it's not just. FLASH i think it's going to take her a while to. Develop but why we Like Carlos alkaraz is because he can improvise and he has a lot of, tools and like And, ocova and why we Like center so much is because he's so solid and he moves so well and he's. Grounded AND i think for me watching this, WOMAN i was, Like, wow this is the most Excited i've been about watching a tennis. Player and don't get me, Wrong i've loved The, MUKHOVA'S i love The, Barties i've loved The you, know there's many many tennis players that you like to watch for the contrast and style as much as for their. Games but this from a game, perspective she's only going to get better and. Better AND i love the way she's being coached and mentored because it seems to me That, skiavone who has had her at her high performance academy outside Of milan for now the past couple of, years is playing the long. Game and oh, yeah tennis is the longest of. Games, yeah because you really have to work so hard upfront and believe that it's going to, work believe that the tools you're building now are in ten years, time as you, say going to pay. Dividends AND i hope that is. True AND i hope more than anything else is THAT i get to watch this girl get better and play better and better opponents and higher and higher stakes, matches AND i, hope really truly that she inspires more and more people to fall in love with, tennis because when you watch somebody play it like she, does it is hard not.
Speaker 1: To, well we're going to take another, break but we'll come back with the questions that were sent to me on the. Socials BUT, aj we answered your question BECAUSE aj asks full breakdown Of Lily tagger's, game and so there you. Go all, Right we're going to take a quick short break and be back with reader's questions after. This, Okay, calaitland it's time for reader's. QUESTIONS i did shoot out a tweet about an hour, ago So johnny on the, spot everyone who wrote, in thank you so much BECAUSE i have to get going to the tennis tournament here In, WASHINGTON dc. Soon so good Old. Nebby do you have the questions? Up, caitlin would you like to read?
Speaker 2: Them give me a, second just BECAUSE i got wee laid On twitter looking at all The Lily tagger love our Friend vance he's saying that she's the real. Deal it's it's so hard not to get excited and talk about this. Woman so thank you for letting me indulge in a little bit of you, know.
Speaker 1: One handed backhand. Love, Listen, hey we're both one headed backhand so we love to see. This SO'S i can, say great kid like great, kids such a nice, kid and of Course Francesca scivoni and MAY i just also add female, coach female.
Speaker 2: Coaching, okay so these days doing pretty well on the two of these, days present company very much. Included all, Right, SO aj we gave you a full breakdown Of Lily tiger's. Game here's a related question From raydon while we're on the, subject and THEN i promise you we'll move. On Lily tagger was not the only person playing tennis this past, week even if to me it felt like it. Was raydon, asks what are the future prospects of the one hitting backhand Aka Lily. Tagger there's another young WOMAN i believe She's french who is on THE itf, tour who has a gorgeous one hit of backhand that a lot of coaches like to post about on the. Socials you, know for, ME i, agree it's hard to imagine that this is going to cause another resent. Renaissance but what do you think the future of the one handed backhand is what it is?
Speaker 1: Now we will see the odd one or two that will come out that will be. Beautiful they'll get all the love that they deserve because they had the. Courage as you, said, earlier and their coaches had the courage to not change what they did really. Well AND i think it's really important for coaches to understand the physicality of their young. Player if they have a one handed back, end they're strong and they have quick, hands they have quick. Forehand if a player has a really whippy, forehand like And i'm to keep bringing out the same, people But Sam, stoza Ash, Bardi Carolyn, mukhova if they have that, good strong forehand that's quick with the racket, face let them try it with the one handed. Backhand SO i think that's super. Important and you have to develop a slice. Backhand so if you have a one, hander your slice back end is going to be good, naturally just because you're going to be, stronger which is why two handed backhands don't have great slices except for the greats Like Kim, kleisters for, example had a great slice. Backhand so IF i had to model someone after a, BACKHAND i would model it off To Kim. KLAISIS i would have that beautiful slice AND i would have a two handed back. In so we're not going to see many one hand as, anymore but, boy when we, do we love. It, WELL i hope you're, wrong BUT i suspect you're. Right, YEAH i Hope i'm wrong, Too BUT i don't think. Wibboble, NO i don't think so.
Speaker 2: Too Kitty kat asks With, Andreva Mira, andreva who we spoke about, earlier and Now Linda noskova who just won wimbled in and MAY i say she turned up at The Prague open where all This Lily tagger match for Berber kujigovia stuff went down and did a sort of victory lap BECAUSE i gather That prague is her. Hometown and she looked amazing and was, amazing And i'm delighted that she has joined the ranks Of slam. Winners it seems both deserved and also probably. Repeatable but back To Kviti kat's. Question As andreva And noskova are first time, winners who is next a young player Like Iva djovic Or Alex, yala or maybe Even Lily tagger or more experienced players Like Jessica pagola Or Elena. Spiddelina what do you think in terms of Next slam? Winner it is literally like shooting a fish in a? Barrel how do you predict that it's, like just.
Speaker 1: Shoot it on the women's do her. ANYTHING i don't. KNOW i will say this after she comes back from. INJURY i Think Vicki ambocco has the ability and the hutzba and the, confidence very quiet confidence because She's canadian so they're very, sweet but she has this very quiet confidence about. Her she doesn't get overly. Nervous she goes for. It she can improve a lot of, things most importantly her SERVE i think can get even better. TECHNICALLY i think her forehand can technically get. Better but her quiet confidence is what makes me go probably. Her so let's hope when she comes back from this knee injury which she suffered At. Queen's, UNFORTUNATELY i think she really can win A slam in the next few years because of not only can she hit the ball huge and she has a massive first. Serve she just believes in. Herself, internally she doesn't show. It she's not this outwardly cocky. Person BUT i think she has the game a little bit more Than Yala yala serve is just never going to get win her. SLAM i JUST i know IT'S i, mean you can say the same thing About Angie. Kober she didn't have a great serve, Either BUT i just feel like that is what is holding her. BACK i think it's what Hold Jessica pagoula. BACK i think it's what WE'VE i talked about this yesterday with a friend of mine on the, Phone Like jessica PAGOL i keep picking her to win a, slam and she keeps letting me. Down AND i think it's a lot because her second serve is so vulnerable against these big, hitters and So i'm still have hope That jack can win, one BUT i just don't see. It same With. Fitzalina second serve is so, vulnerable doesn't have the power to. Overplay it can. Happen look what happened to Was. Niaki we've had players that are technically not big hitters of the ball. Win but IF i had to pick, ONE i Pick Vicky amboco and, Hey Lily. Tager but not. YET i give her about five.
Speaker 2: YEARS i think she needs a little more time in the. BEARER i, Mean i'm going to see something incredibly. Controversial carolyn Was naki slam was an act that He.
Speaker 1: It was A she won the W Ta finals two three months earlier and beat every one and served everyone off the, court hit everyone. Off the quote was, unbelievable and then took that confidence Into. Australia SO i won't say that About caroline because you had to Beat caroline.
Speaker 2: And She, yeah, sure you had to beat, her And Simona hallepp did not that. Day but my belief about her is best. Encapsulated And Yolena asapeko's, quote which you can look. Up, okay speaking of, quotes Is venus's comment On Maya joint fair or. Unfair venus's comment About Maya, joint who you'll remember Beat serena in the first round Of wimbledon in three, sets and Had venus had this to say about. It she Meaning serena played stellar in that. MATCH i think her level was so extraordinarily.
Speaker 1: High it was very.
Speaker 2: Unlucky sometimes you play players who are on fire and they don't seem to maintain that level.
Speaker 1: Afterward, yeah she's not. WRONG i, mean she's not. Wrong serena played. Well we know what happened with the. Knee she was very much hobbled and that was definitely a, problem certainly in the third. Set But Maya joint played the match of her. Life she made not the match of her. Life she definitely played the, WELL i would, say probably the match of. Life but she played the best match this year and then subsequently lost the next match the following, day played a great first set and then just fell away AND i think lost the third set six. Love so when you have technically quote unquote nothing to lose and everyone thinks that you're shouldn't you're probably not going to win this match because you haven't won a match SINCE i don't even, know six months or, something and you play against you, know the greatest player of all time as somebody who's won the tournament seven. Times, yes she hasn't played a match in three and a half, years but, still you, know everyone's, like, ah what a great. Draw maya joint hasn't won a match in so, long this is the perfect. Match and then she came out and played, unbelievable served well every big, point and she had a little stumble at the end of the second, set started missing a few balls here and, there but overall she played. Great and so What venus is saying IS i have no problem with her saying that because it was. Correct and then you, know Unfortunately maya went and lost the Next so, YEAH i Mean. Caitlin there's so much that players or people don't say in public that they want to say that they say in their private. Lives and it's not Just, venus this is. Everyone it's trust, me you're getting One you're getting one fifth of what they really want to say about. Anyone SO i Think venus is being very protective if her little, sister And I'm i'm okay with it because she didn't say anything that was not.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah AND i want to bring up a point that you've made time and time and time, again and you were actually just making it About Yannick, center which is the amount of pressure it is to be the best in the world and defend it week in and week out and weekend and week out and week in and week.
Speaker 1: Out you can't have a bad match.
Speaker 2: Anymore maybe you could at certain points in like the, nineties when you can win a couple of matches just by showing up and being better skills, wise but that's not true. Anymore the tours have too much. Depth everybody's. Good, everybody especially when they know they're playing, you is going to try to have the match of their. Life sometimes they want. Succeed most times they want, succeed but sometimes they. Do and if you're not one hundred per because maybe you're, injured or because maybe you're a little out of, practice or maybe you're not feeling, confident it's a to. Me it's a lot about that, belief which is why the belief stuff is so so. Important as you mentioned with With victoria And, BOCO i do wish sometimes and this, is you, know as toxic as many online spaces, are it does fuel a lot of fun because people can sometimes indicate how they really feel about certain. Things and we're, all you, know trying to be on our best.
Speaker 1: Behavior WELL i.
Speaker 2: Don't know that you AND, I i, mean but, HELLO i, mean have you met. Me we're certainly more filtered than we would.
Speaker 1: BE i get into trouble every week for comments THAT i, make and it's just like fuck. Me like with social. Media think, god social media wasn't around WHEN i was.
Speaker 2: Playing holy oh my, god that would be, terrible catastrophic for.
Speaker 1: You it would have been, Great, okay that's what. Entertaining it would have been, great AND i probably would have had a vlog and you know, what probably would have made more. Money let's be, Honest.
Speaker 2: Okay if you hadn't been. Canceled, okay next, question this is From. Neby this is a very very good question because it's a little. Tough how do you Think Elena rebuccin his year will go from? Here her first third of the year was so, strong but sub part of the last few months it does appear that she is. Adrift wouldn't you? Say? Naw?
Speaker 1: Absolutely you KNOW i picked her prior to months Before wimbledon started THAT i thought she would Win. Wimbledon for her to lose To Alisa, murtens WHO i believe she had an eight and one record against there was just. Crazy of all the upsets At wimbledon this, year that was the one that just blew me away the. MOST i, was, like WHAT i MEAN A Lisa murtens is a good, player a very solid, play always round to, sixteen third, rounds always like sort of doesn't lose to anybody you know below her. Often but to lose that match Against, rebutta to Beat rebuccin in that, situation to, me was the biggest shock At. WIMBLEDON i had heard the day before she did like hours on the practice court and like was looking exhausted and so came into that. MATCH i don't, know maybe hitting too many balls a day. BEFORE i don't know what's going, on but this is a player that should be winning more slams than she already. Has she won These Strain, open she played great tennis. There hard court is definitely more her. Jam, so just LIKE i said last, NIGHT i did a little thing FOR espn last night when the question was asked About sabalanka at THE Us. Open she has not won a Tournament sablenka Since. Miami, OKAY i was going back to back her. Up Actually Indian wells And. Miami we know how well she plays on hard. Court same With. Rebakina SO i will say, this If rabakina doesn't Win montreal Or, cincinnati she's still one of the favorites for THE Us open because she is so good on hard, court as Is. Sabalanka SO i still put them at the top of the list to win THE Us open just because they play so well on hard. Court but there are definite questions that need to be answered By rebakina going into the sun and leading into THE Us. Open having said the fact that she hasn't played well in this latter part of the, Year she's still a player that nobody really wants to, play let's be. Honest and Also cincinnati is quite similar to THE Us. Open the speed of the, court the conditions are, hot so we will see to be. Determined when we were sort of counting her out a couple of years ago or a year, ago she comes back and wins this Strain. Open so still a player with all the ability to win A Grand. Slam so she'll still be definitely knocking on the door at THE Us, open but we will soon find. Out, okay we're done with our. Questions thanks for sending them in so nice of, You. Caitlin thanks for joining. Me i've got to jump on the bus and get to the tennis courts here In.
Speaker 2: Washington, wonderful wonderful week In. Washington you've got an absolutely gangbusters a number of matches to, watch AND i hope anybody who did not hear us earlier in the show please CONSIDER i don't care if you live In, ROMANIA i don't care if you live In Hong. KONG i don't care wherever you. Are go support your local tournament and look at these smaller weeks on the tour as opportunities to get close to this amazing sport BECAUSE i guarantee, you whoever you are watching a name you know or a name you're about to, know you're going to watch some incredible. Tennis and so much of our sport is made or broken in the weeks that are Not slam. Weeks we love The, slams no shade to The, slams but a tournament LIKE, dc a tournament like Those, cabos a tournament like The Canadian, open these are phenomenal places with the best player in the, world and they're also great cities to. Visit so really think about getting outside of your comfort zone and going to a smaller tournament if you don't, already because it is an incredible.
Speaker 1: Experience exactly my, sentiments. Exactly last couple of things before we. GO i want to also say well done to Friend jones who WON a one twenty. Five yes you don't know her, story please look Up Franny. Jones please look up what she has to deal with as a tennis. Player it's incredible she won a tournament this past, week and well.
Speaker 2: By cin a, row two tournaments in a, row and, yeah two tournaments a you're, correct, yes.
Speaker 1: EXACTLY i Love Linda's noskova is trolling THE wta by saying why AM i? Here because she was posted on the the transgender that was the funniest Thing i've.
Speaker 2: Seen she has the news hilarious transgender update to the testing and they just she was, like, walla what AM?
Speaker 1: I what DO i have to do with any of?
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: EXACTLY i also want to throw out a congratulations To Tommy paul and his new wife who got, married and of Course Alex demonor And Katie bolter who also got married over the last.
Speaker 2: Week and they Are geese and they and married AND.
Speaker 1: Dc they're all. Here Tommy pole's, Here Alex demonoi is, Here Katie bolter's, here all the new married couples are all here IN. Dc so stay tuned On Tennis channel and watch that and you might catch me on the court interviewing the. Play so stay tuned on. That if you've got questions you want me to ask, them send them to me on the Old. Socials all, right, guys thanks for joining us this. Week we'll see you next. Week, CAITLIN i know you're probably trying to go To. Europe you're also going to an area that has got a little bit of fire going, on so good luck with, that. MATE i just twitched my.
Speaker 2: Tickets i'm not flying into the wildfair, okay good for.
Speaker 1: You i'll be In, marseille not Cap Foray.
Speaker 2: Mercibuku have a great, week ENJOY dc and watch tennis in person or live if you.
Speaker 1: Can all, right thanks, everyone see you next. Week bye b