Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in watch Driving the Great Episode two twenty one and First in Pod episode I'm Gonna Guess sixty four? Sure, so alongside me if you're watching on YouTube is Danny Parkins from The Score in Chicago, Andrew Philipponi from ninety three seven to the Fan in Pittsburgh, who also hosts the First In Pod podcast, And you might be listening to this on the First in Pod podcast feed. If you are and you don't know who I am, my name is Nick Wright. I host What's Right with Nick Wright, which is what you're watching on YouTube now potentially and also First Things First on FS one. So these gentlemen were at this bougie radio conference yesterday hobnobbing with radio celebrities. I was involved as well because my roots are radio. These gentlemen also are gonna be on First Things First today and so we are doing our first ever What's Right with Nick Wright First and Pod crossover episode. I'm gonna give the audience a little recap of what First In Pod is. During the NFL season, they do two pods a week. The kind of catch line is every team, every week, every game, every team every week, every team every week, every game. They run through the entire league. So, with free agency kind of coming to a close, not done yet, but the you know, the first week is over, we are going to do that same thing here where we will touch on all thirty two teams, not necessarily in order of importance, but in order it occurred to us. And so Danny Andrew, thank you for joining us, and thank you for having me on the First In Pod feed, which people should subscribe to. As I've told the audience, it's my favorite weekly NFL pod during the off season's weekly during the season. Twice a week. Gentlemen, how's it going.
Speaker 3: It's great man, thank you for having us. I love this crossover idea. Yeah, it's like sharing the work burden.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it made up my life a lot easier this week, all right, So what I care about? As we were on our way home from quite an interesting dinner that Andrew Philipponi set up with maybe America's most prominent local talk radio host, Greg Gianatti, who had just takes on takes on takes. I thought we were gonna get thrown out of mister Chiles, my guy g O and Egan. I'm fine with him saying this. I think had eleven Greg Goo so is with a splash of kran. The splash of kran felt unnecessary, but I don't know when you're going a dozen drinks in. So that was a good night. On the way back from that, we found out that Keenan Allen had been traded to the Bears, which we'll get to in a moment, and that the Chiefs perfect offseason continues. Hollywood Brown, who listen. I don't want to overstate it because I don't think Hollywood Brown is a great player. I think he has a lot of potential and high upside, but he was at worst the third best wide receiver that could be available in this free agency. Tell me if you disagree, Mike Evans, Michael Pittman, Hollywood Brown were the top three? Is there? You forgot Calvin Ridley? So okay.
Speaker 3: You can make a Darnell Mooney argument, like if Mooney went to the Chiefs, I think he would put up really good numbers.
Speaker 2: But so I think Hollywood Brown's better than Darnell Mooney. Ridley, You're right, I did leave him out, and so all right, so top four. The distinction is, of course, the Chiefs got him for one year, seven million bucks, which is perfect.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And this is this is the benefit to being the Chiefs. And I know that's I know people are irritated hearing it. There is. It is the opposite of a bad team tax. You get the great quarterback, compete for a super Bowl, try to rebuild my value discount. So while Chris Jones did not give them a hometown discount, I feel like one year seven million, I think, let me ask you, guys, this are the Chiefs the only team in the league that Hollywood Brown would play for for this contract one year, seven million bucks. It can be eleven million if he hits all his incentives. Is there another team in the league that he would agree to that contract for, because I say no, probably not.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, going to a high volume passing offense with a guy who's gonna throw the ball, you know, five hundred and six hundred times. You know, Buffalo would be interesting. Cincinnati would be interesting.
Speaker 2: But Cincinnati the Higgins is going to play on the franchise tag.
Speaker 3: There though no question about it. But I'm just saying, like going going to it's an elite quarterback thing. If he's trying to sign a one year deal and for the Chiefs, I agree with you. There's no bad one year deal in the NFL. You just would go. He would rank it Chiefs. And then after that some of the teams that I mentioned. So you want to go, you want to go to the best quarterbacks possible.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned Buffalo. Do we think Curtis Samuel is a better player than Hollywood Brown?
Speaker 3: Better?
Speaker 2: Equivalent worse? I would say a touch worse. Yeah, that's what I would say. Yeah, Curtis Samuel is just signed with Buffalo for three years, twenty four million, fifteen million guaranteed. Point that I'm making there is. I don't think people are giving Buffalo. I don't think there is a Josh Allen Buffalo Bill's discount. I don't think they've earned like I don't think I think that people are excited to play with him, and I think there is. You know, it makes it an attractive place. But I don't think that they got Curtis Samuel on a bargain. I think that that is kind of paying one hundred cents on the dollar for a player of Curtis's caliber, which is that is not an expensive contract, but two three year deal where the first two years are guaranteed. And I don't know that this means Hollywood Brown as a Chief in two years, but it means that they now and this is why I think it's such an important move, and then we can move on. The Chiefs because of this move, don't have any position they must use the thirty second pick on. If they had signed no receivers, then you almost are mandated to use that pick, the thirty second pick on a wide receiver. Now, pony, I think they could draft the tackle there. I think they could draft the receiver there. I also think they could draft a d tackle or a corner there, the corner because they think they're gonna lose need detackle because they haven't drafted any d tackles since my home has been drafted in the first five rounds, and Chris Jones getting older even with the extension. Truly, I know it sounds gluche They truly can just go best player available for me, like I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't look at Brown as the type of move that changes how I feel about them if they if they don't make the Brown signing, I still think they're the best team in the NFL. Right But so here's but here's what I want to ask you. So you said it's been the perfect offseason for them so far. What what has to happen with Snead to keep that going?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that right now it's six one a half dozen the other I think that they've made it clear they are not trading him for anything worse than a top forty pick. Do you think they will at this point? I do not.
Speaker 4: You think he'll play on the tag, yes, so, I think that it won't be a distraction about it. He'll show up the first week. There's no hold in, there's no Chris Jones carried into the season. He's a good song, He's going for a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I don't know that he'll show up when you say first week of the offseason. I don't think that, but I do. I think he would miss a game. No, because the thing that distinction between Sneid and Chris Jones was Chris Jones was finishing his second contract after being I think a second second round pick, and he was on a four year, eighty million dollar in the last year of it. Sneid was a fourth round pick who's never made any money. And listen, I love Sneid and I hope at some point he gets paid, either by the Chiefs or by someone else. But this one year, twenty million dollar franchise tag is four x what he has made cumulatively in his career. Every game he plays under the tag, he makes more money than he had made in any year of the NFL. So him missing a game I don't think is going to happen. And so there was I had hope is the wrong word, because I'm fine with him playing on the tag. I thought Detroit at twenty nine was I thought that made a lot of sense for both teams. But when Detroit then trades for Carlton Davis, to me, it makes it less likely and they become more likely they're gonna use that twenty nine picked a trade for someone that T Higgins, you know what I mean, the other franchise tag option is more likely. Okay, that's enough Chiefs here, because again that while this is what's right, it's also first in pod. Now, Danny to your team.
Speaker 3: Now we're talking about an NFC powerhouse.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's goot, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, they had all this cap space, they the third most cap position of any team in the league, and the moves that they made were seemingly like they were you know, secondary or tertiary players. Kevin Byerd free safety, DeAndre Swift running back, trade for Ryan Bates, sixth offensive linemen, maybe potential starter Simone Biles's husband, you know, you know, it's just it was like, what what are they waiting for? What are they going to use the money on? They need to upgrade? They had needed Ed Rusher. People thought danil Hunter. They still could use an Elite three three tech. I was thinking Christian Wilkins was a possibility. But it's why you got to be patient, and you got to not only know your own roster, I got to know the rest of the league. A fourth round pick for one year of Keenan Allen, who yes, will be thirty two by the time the season starts, and he missed four games this past year. In the thirteen games that he played, he was simply excellent. He's a six time pro bowler. And now that offense with Dj Moore, Keenan Allen cole comet assume to be significant upgrade at quarterback with Kleb Williams and whatever they choose to do with the ninth pick, whether it is an edge rusher, whether it's trade down a little bit and target Rock Boers or if a Doomsay or somehow Malik Neighbors falls, truly investing and turning them into arguably the best receiving core in the league. If you had a first round pick receiver at nine. The Bears are stacked to have the best offense that they've had in my lifetime.
Speaker 4: So did you think, seriously, well, you just don't see teams who are going to start a rookie quarterback make one year short term invest in this moment, the right now moves like this.
Speaker 2: Well, if you think the investment is more the money or theft pick they gave up.
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying you're making a deal for Keenan Allen with no expectation or guarantee that he's gonna be with you beyond Caleb Williams first rookie year.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know yet. Like they could rework the contract and sign them to an extension to lower the cap hit for this year.
Speaker 2: I think I think that would be a mistake. I think that the cause. So I agree with a lot of Danny's optimism on the Bears, a lot of it. I think that that division, while the Packers are good and the Lions are very good, the division doesn't have it, in my opinion, a juggernaut. The NFC obviously is the weaker of the two conferences, and the Bears won seven games last year. People have to be reminded constantly they have the number one pick because Carolina was terrible, not because they were terrible. Where the trepidation comes in is the exercise we did yesterday, you know, around midnight when we got back to my house, which was thirty two year old receivers in the league last year. I just threw it out there and I said, how many do we think had five hundred yards? And the answer to that question ended up being Adam Thielen, who had one thousand yards. And that's it. The thirty two plus year old receivers last year were the following people. Marquis Goodwin sixty seven yards, Marvin Jones thirty five yards, Randall Cobb thirty nine yards, Adam Thielen, who I mentioned, Julio Jones seventy four yards. And that's the list. And so the concern is that, you know what I mean that that position, that age, what is he going to have left? I don't mind, but I say all that to say this, because it's not an extension. If they give him an extension reworked the deal, I will feel differently. Andrew for one year, I don't mind it. Andrews, support Caleb as much as possible and give him the best thing.
Speaker 4: I'm just surprised that a team that isn't closer to winning didn't try to make a one year deal work with Alan.
Speaker 3: That's but it takes a unique set of circumstance because of his cap had You gotta have the cap space. The Chargers asked him to restructure the money down to help them out. He said no, they traded him. So I mean, I'm with you on the thirty two year old things just real quick. Twelve hundred yards, one hundred and eight catches and seven touchdowns.
Speaker 4: And I think his game, I think his style of play age as well. He's not a guy that to me is like he needs to be a physical freak or you know, speed merchant in order to make plays.
Speaker 2: No, he's a technician, right. He oddly has like some Travis Kelcey similarities to him, and Kelsey is thirty four and had a great almost at that.
Speaker 4: For me, he's like a souped up version of Keenan McCardell, who played into his thirties and had that same style of play. Let me ask you this, though, you said that this is a unique situation. The ceiling for rookie quarterback situations in terms of how far you can go with them, would be a championship game, right, conference championship game. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Sanchez, New York, Purty, San Francisco.
Speaker 2: How far away from like.
Speaker 4: You say, this is a you know, unbelievable a quarterback a rookie quarterback is not do you think that that's actually in.
Speaker 3: I don't see why not the I mean, I honestly I don't see why not. Why why couldn't the Bears win eleven games this year?
Speaker 2: So I think winning eleven games is probably more likely than being in the NFC title Game. But right now, this moment, my my. If if you said all the outcomes are available, pick the one that you think is most likely, I think it is more. I think the most likely outcome is a wild card berth and a loss in Round one. Great season, which would be a great season. It would be, and it would be it would feel better. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong, Danny, then this when you had that with Mitch Trubisky or when you had that previously, because it would feel like because of the quarterback, that is something to truly build on. So I guess what I just described there is what Houston just have, CJ. I think that is. I think that is a realistic expectation for the Chicago Bears this year.
Speaker 3: And the Bears defense is good.
Speaker 2: I think you overstate how good it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, they they got better as the year went on, as they got healthier. They have an elite player at all three levels of the defense. They've got a lot of young talent. They had Jalen Johnson wall pro corner, they have Tremaine Edmonds, who's one of the best coverage linebackers in the NFL, and they have Montese Sweat.
Speaker 2: I think calling Montes and Tremaine elite lowers the bar for elite. For me paid their elite the I don't know that Montes is getting paid like he's.
Speaker 3: Elite, is getting he got a big contract.
Speaker 2: Well what's the contract? Because I think he's getting paid like he's the tenth best guy, which is the Maybe that's a tier down from elite, then yeah, that's what I'm okay.
Speaker 3: They have a very good upper echelon player at all three levels of the defense, plus four.
Speaker 2: For ninety eight.
Speaker 4: I'm just if I were in your shoes, I would just be incensed that they prioritized carrying momentum over with the defense instead of let's get a head coach in here who's gonna optimize.
Speaker 3: That's almost a different discussion. Is it is a different discussion? It was a fork in the road.
Speaker 4: I actually think it is though, because if we're talking about what they can do this year. Obviously, a lot of it is can Caleb Williams have a season that's similar to what c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud had last year?
Speaker 4: And I think without that coaching infrastructure, I have doubts about that happening right off the back.
Speaker 3: But nobody would have said. Nobody would have said that Bobby Slowick was going to be the key to unlocking c J. Stroud last year. He's special.
Speaker 2: So you no, that's and is Slowly and tell the audience to the Bears new offensive coordinat.
Speaker 3: Shane Waldron, the guy, the guy from Seattle who helped Gino Smith have the breakout season two years ago.
Speaker 2: So the reason I mentioned that is Slowick was a total unknown, which to me allows for maybe a little more look at the coaching tree. He came from the well and just because we hadn't we have seen Shane Waldron be in now the higher floor as well than a guy that's totally unknown. But we listen, if we're gonna do every team, yeah we did twenty minutes. We've done two teams, which means right now we're on pace for a ten hour pod and that's not gonna work all right, So let's go now to the Steelers and then we can hit the rest of the leak.
Speaker 3: We'll go faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, They've never had a free agency period that's been this eventful. This is the most interesting start to an offseason. They're the type of team that would for years mock the teams that spent a lot of money and made the big moves this time of year, and now they've become one, which I think is fascinating. So so Wilson, Patrick, Queen, you trade Deontay Johnson. I mean it's just they've never had a Floria moves like.
Speaker 2: Can you explain the Deontay Johnson trade? Yes?
Speaker 4: Uh, they didn't want him around. They wanted nothing to do with the guy.
Speaker 2: So wait, I thought, So they have two malcontent wide receivers. Yep. Okay, so is there what's Tomblin?
Speaker 4: The great players coach has fostered a wide receiver room where he has complete knuckleheads and eight.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they traffic in that they live in that Chase claypool.
Speaker 2: Uh by Antonio Brown? Yes, okay, So the what is we just did this with Chicago, We'll do it with Pittsburgh. What is the realistic ceiling for the steel They have to win a playoff game, win a player. They have to They've gone seven years without one. So but that's the that's what you're saying. You think they need to do in order to keep the status quo. Do you think that's really do you mean? What do you mean?
Speaker 4: I don't think they need I think they'll keep the status quot if they go six and eleven. I don't think things will change.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: The coaches like a pope or a Supreme Court justice, they never change them.
Speaker 2: You know I'm right about that? Okay? All right? Uh do you are? Are you? If? People? Again, first, some pod folks know this, what's right? People might not. At the same time that I got the never a doubt tattoo, Andrew Philipponi got right on his hip Canny Pickett's face. And actually my ass and he now is well, I'll just ask you, yep, your optimism on Russell Wilson.
Speaker 4: Uh cautiously optimistic, decently high, okay, not bad so that I feel better about their quarterback situation now than I did a week ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, And isn't that fair?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 3: He I mean Russell Wilson is better than Mason Rudolph and Kenny Pickett. That is my orders of magnitude though.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he is what percent to be the Week one starter ninety nine point nine. Okay, so it's not a competition, No, it's okay, Well I'm asking you. I don't know.
Speaker 4: For a million, I think Russell Wilson if he lost that competition, he would either ask to be released and traded to a team that maybe lost a quarterback because of injury, or just fade off into the sunset and not play football anymore.
Speaker 2: Wait, is it actually his den for money?
Speaker 3: Is it even being framed as a competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's because if they use the first round pick on Picket, I understand, yah, and they still have a bigger investment. And because Pickett is they have him under contract for another year and they don't run.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest misconception is that it has to be one or the other. Now you have to start with Wilson. But I don't think that starting the season with Russell Wilson means we won't see Kenny Pickett ever again. If Russ gets off to a bumpy start or stinks, you bench him and you have like a ten or eleven game runway to see what Kenny Pickett is. You kill two birds with one stone, Okay, so that I mean it's a one year, one point two million dollar investment. You can achieve both.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, So I think that is real highly on the board of potential outcomes. I think that's high. That Russell Wilson is the starter, that he is the guy and then he gets deposed because of poor play. Because we are again, Russell Wilson's first nine years of his career, every year played every game, every year, the team had a winning record three years in a row. Now Russell Wilson has missed time two of the years due to injury, one year because he got benched, and they've been below five hundred. So we are we are getting approaching a full presidential term since the last time. Russell Wilson was the guy that people some people seem to want to believe he still is, and so I don't think he has a lot of leash. And the one thing I want to say about is a contract and then we'll do the rest of the league. I understand the one point two million makes sense for the Steelers ticket to the Broncos, he gets the same amount of money, no matter what. With that, said Russell Wilson, unequivocally, if it were out there, would have preferred one point two million this year with a substantial amount of money next year tacked onto a contract because that doesn't impact what Denver pays him, and it gives him security. It's very clear to me no team in the league was willing to give him that. So this idea that, oh, he's only making the million because of the Denver situation, and that's true, but he's on a one year deal because no one else wanted to.
Speaker 4: But hold on, I don't think we know that. I think we know that no team would give him thirty million dollars a year in year two. How do we know that a team?
Speaker 2: How do we know that?
Speaker 4: The Steelers didn't say to him, will give you a second year that's like a fifteen million dollars salary, And he said no, I'd rather bet on myself.
Speaker 2: See how it goes. I guess that's possible to get the Baker Mayfield contract, right, sure? Okay, if in that regard, I guess that's possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he's made it a gazillion dollars. So he's going to bet on himself to be starting quarterback next year. And that's a ton of money.
Speaker 4: All right, what's the next So the next team we have here is Denver. And here's why I have the Broncos. After this we just talked about Wilson. Are they the last team left for Fields?
Speaker 3: It feels like they're the only place where he could start tomorrow, for sure, if he just showed up. But they don't have a lot of draft capital because of the Russell Wilson thing and because of the Sean Payton.
Speaker 4: I don't think you need a lot of draft capital to give Fields at this point.
Speaker 3: I don't either, but you still to. You need to give up something. And if you're trading for Justin Fields, it's only two point three million dollars or whatever it is for this season. But are they gonna bet on We're gonna trade for him, not pick up the fifth year option. He's better than Jarrett Stidham and he leaves. Maybe maybe he's third offense in four years.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is the one time we do this. I'll end up saying something that's really dumb. Chances are good, I'm I'm under the impression that Peyton wants no part of that. I don't think Peyton wants justin fields at all. I think he is zero interest in doing that.
Speaker 2: So that's also I just think Sean pate what I've heard, well, so this isn't based on anything I've heard. This is just based on you know, knowing what I know about Sean Payton and my gut intuition. I think he wants to have a more traditional quarter. People say, oh, he loved Taysom Hill. I brought that up up, but that's I think that's misleading. Almost he liked Taysom Hill as an element of the team. And I also think with respect to Sean, he liked the idea that if Taysom Hill turns into something, the amount of credit and love I will get for building this guy.
Speaker 3: And he was like the toy that was there that you could play with it. It wasn't like a six month offseason journey to seek out Taysom Hill. He was right. He was there with Jamis and other guys, and he was just like, oh, I can try to tays Some Hill.
Speaker 2: So why would the Giants not be involved they?
Speaker 3: I mean, I wrote I was working on a list of teams like, he's better than Daniel Jones and Drew lock He's better than Will Levis, He's better than Jared Stidham. He's better than Sam Darnold, though obviously we'll get to them in terms of what they just traded for. He has certainly more upside than Gardner Minshew. There are teams where if Justin Fields was a free agent right now, I think that the Giants would have signed him over Drew lock and let him compete with Daniel Jones, no question about it. But with Drew Lockett just cost you money. This it does cost you a draft pick and money.
Speaker 2: So since we're John Broncos, we'll leave it here. I one thing that happened that I found interesting is, and I think it's actually smart. So Russell Wilson's eighty five million dollars dead cap hit. They could have split it up to where it was the majority of that hit the twenty twenty five cap and less hit this year. They did it the opposite way, where the majority hits now this coming season unless hits the following year. I think that is smart. I think that's the right call. I also think it speaks to the fact I think Sean Payton might be looking at this year as a retool rebuild. They'll be awful and you know what I mean, and try to hit the ground running in year three of his time there, which I think is the right move. I think if the Broncos they're drafting twelve, I think if the Broncos all of a sudden take the little draft capital they have, try to move up, you know, and try to do things so they can target JJ McCarthy or Jayden. If he Jayden, I wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I think that would be a mistake. I think the Broncos have to take a longer view of it, which is why you're hearing names like Zach Wilson attached to him. It also that also is an argument for them to take a flyer on Justin Fields. But I just don't think Sean Payton and Justin Fields are gonna be on the same team. All right, Do we want to go ahead? Dan?
Speaker 3: Let mean, let's just get to get into some of these teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right. You mentioned Curtis Samuel for the Bills. What do we think of the situation there an out wide receiver?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that we have to be honest about who Stefan Diggs is right now. So Stefan Diggs guy who fell off a cliff in the second half of the season, right and.
Speaker 3: I was not targeted, was not trusted.
Speaker 2: But I the amount with which he fell off the cliff I think has been underrated by the national media. The first six games of last year, Stefan Diggs in six games had forty nine catches, six hundred and twenty yards, and five touchdowns, So we averaged over one hundred yards, nine catches and nearly a touchdown. Again, so six twenty and five. The final eleven games of last year he had five hundred and sixty yards, so fewer yards in the final eleven than the first six and three touchdowns. And then in the playoff run he had a total of seventy three yards and zero touchdowns. So there's a lot of questions with Diggs, which is the new offense, how much do they value him? Did he hit a wall? All of those things. Now, I don't think there's a big difference between Curtis Samuel and Gabe Davis, so I don't think there's a huge drop off there. But my big take on the Bills is very simple, and I want to know where you guys stand on it. The only reason the Buffalo Bills are scary is because they have Josh Allen and the idea that their path forward is to minimize, to lower Josh Allen's ceiling, because they're afraid of the mistakes that lucks you into being just a team. You have to be like God dogget man. This is gonna be year six for him? Is that right? He was drafted one year after Mahomes. I think this is year six for him. Eighteen, this year seven for him, because this is year eight for Mahomes. Grow up, give us the upside without the cartoonish mistakes. That's the only way we can be great. But they changed to that point.
Speaker 4: One of the most underrated stories in the NFL last year was when they fired Dorsey McDermott forced onto that team a very run first.
Speaker 2: Year, and I puts a ceiling on I agree with that.
Speaker 4: But what I wonder is now that Brady is the full time offensive coordinator, is he allowed to expand the offense?
Speaker 2: Was that a byproduct of.
Speaker 4: Them needing to make the playoffs last year or is that who the Bills are this year, and if that's who the Bills are this year, if they're just gonna carry over that offense this year, my prediction is they will maybe miss the playoffs and Sean McDermott will get fired at the end of the year and somebody like Bill Belichick will be their coach next season.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like listen that. I think all of that was interesting. I also think the other element for the Bills is you asked about their offense and the receivers they are going to be for the first time of this era and average at best. Defense. You cannot draft as poorly as they have and have the lack of and the free agency losses that they had and all of a sudden be a real defense the way they've been, so they are going to need Danny to have a great offense just to compete. They will.
Speaker 3: I don't think the idea of more balance for Buffalo is a bad thing, though I know I'm the highest one on Josh Allen here. But with Herbert, with the Chargers, they hire Harbaugh, they hire Greg Roman. Why are they hiring Greg Roman? How are you gonna help Justin Herbert? He's all about running games like giving Justin Herbert. A running game would help Justin Herbert a lot, giving Josh Allen some balance so he doesn't have to be eighty five percent of the offensive production week in and week out. That should help reduce the mistakes because he doesn't have to be throwing every third and two.
Speaker 4: All Right, we gotta keep Falcons Vikings, Kirk Cousins trade fallout and what that caused Minnesota to do with the trade with Houston.
Speaker 3: So I think Atlanta is I get why they are an odds on even money favorite in the South. I think it's a little crazy that Tampa is second second three to one. Like I don't think that the gap between Atlanta and Tampa should be that significant. But assuming Cousins comes back from the injury one hundred percent, it's very hard to imagine a team maybe going from Fields to Caleb. But that will have upgraded more at quarterback this year, and their defense is very good, and they will still be adding someone with the eighth pick in the draft, which might be the best defensive player in the draft, or.
Speaker 2: It might be they might move down and add you know what I mean, extra stuff for a team that wants to jump in.
Speaker 4: Can you just explain to me why the assumption is that he will come back from this injury and be the same guy he was before.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's a leap of faith. I don't I don't know the answer to that. He's they gave him over they gave him one hundred million dollars guaranteed, so they have to have some confidence in it. He did that workout video on a tennis court, which is apparently impressive to people in the Achilles recovery community. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Listen, if he's if he's a shell of himself, then it is a mistake. That's how I see it. And I think that is not only is that a non zero possibility, I would say that's a one in five.
Speaker 3: I would say there's a twenty percent. Much of what he does is based on athleticism or anything. It's just about snap, throw, get the ball.
Speaker 2: Now, I understand. But if the Achilles is not full strength or close to it, then he will at his age not be the same player and they'll be cooked. But I just I still think it was worth it. I think getting the stability at quarterback there with a good offensive line, three top ten skill position guys that you three top ten web ear draft picks in London, Pits and Bijon. I think guys also here's the other reason. I think it's sneaky important. You got to make decisions on those guys in the next couple of years. Are you going to bring re signed Drake London? Are you going to resign Kyle Pitts? And you need to give them stability there.
Speaker 4: If I were them, I would have made a push for Russ for a million dollars and had him be a stopgap quarterback and tried to get McCarthy in the draft to be my long term answer at the position, rather than invest so much in a guy. There's this I just I don't understand. I know the numbers are good with him year after year.
Speaker 2: He puts my feeling on it.
Speaker 4: I don't trust him whatsoever as a quarterback.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, No, that's fine. But if you're Raheem Morris and you're like, man, I got a chance to be a head coach almost fifteen years ago. It never got off the ground because of Josh Freeman. I'm just not going to walk through that door again.
Speaker 4: I I'm just shocked at the organization that watched Matt Ryan fall apart before that made this commitment cousins.
Speaker 2: So the Vikings, if people don't know the Vikings traded the twenty third pick, I'm sorry. The Vikings got the twenty third pick. They traded away the forty second, the one to eighty eighth and next year second, which is significant. So the Vikings are now sitting at eleven and twenty three. This means what to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think the obvious connecting of the dots here, and you can look at any of the trade value charts that are out there, the old Jimmy Johnson wille or some of the newer like Walter Football ones. If they package simply eleven and twenty three, depending on which chart you trust, they can either get the third pick in the draft or the fourth pick in the draft. So that if New England is in interested in trading out because they don't think they're ready for Drake May, they can trade up and get Drake May. Or if this is a situation like the Niners a few years ago when they traded up for Trey Lance, maybe they don't even know what quarterback is going to be there. They just know they're taking the third or fourth quarterback in this draft and they're comformation.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a smoke screen, but everything I heard out of the combine was that the Vikings loved McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves McCarthy.
Speaker 4: The other yeah, I know, but the other taking him four would be crazy. The other connection is that Josh McCown was Drake May's high school football.
Speaker 2: But McCown's not going to be there. I'm sorry, May's not going to be there. If they trade up to three, he could be there. Okay, all right, that's fair. If they trade up to three, that's right. So Dusty, this great stats guy from First Things First, sent me this right after the Vikings trade, and I think it's noteworthy. When the Eagles traded up to get wins. Before they traded up to get wins, they did a deal where they sent two players and the thirteenth overall pick to Miami for the eighth overall pick. They then packaged that to move up to numbers two, So they ended up trading the eighth, the seventy seventh, the one hundredth and a first and second rounder the next year to go from eight to two. But what they really traded was thirteen, two players and that stuff to move up to two. So I do think it is setting the table, yes for a move up. All right?
Speaker 3: Next, Okay, so Jaguars Titans, Calvin Ridley now a Titan. We like it more for the Titans are bad for the Jaguars because the Jaguars roster management cost them Calvin Ridley.
Speaker 4: Their roster management is atrocious. Yeah, I mean, I don't think that that story is being it's not being discussed enough because no one cares other than Nick and his Trevor Lawrence obsession.
Speaker 2: But like they've let him down, thank you, thank you, They've let you know what, let's start that narrative that Trevor has been let down and the listen, Trent Balky's been bad a lot of places and for the roster forty nine ers. Jim Harbaugh for the record, I don't like the Calvin Ridley deal.
Speaker 3: The Titans either, well they I mean, I know that inflation cap going up and all of that, but it is tough to reconcile fifty million for Calvin Ridley and not giving AJ Brown what fifty seven million correct two years ago. And I know there's a second round pick there, and I know AJ Brown is a higher percentage of the cap because getting that money two years ago is different. But still, aj Brown is a significantly better football player than Calvin Ridley. I was shocked by how much Ridley got based on his production from last year.
Speaker 2: The other problem for the Jags is they have the following four receivers well, and three of them are on extensions. Ones on his rookie deal, Christian Kirk at twenty four million on the cap, Zay Jones at eleven, Gabe Davis who right now is at five because they did funny stuff there, and Devin du Vernet. That are those four receivers. In my opinion, you have one guy who is a A two in Kirk, and then you have three number three or four receivers.
Speaker 4: They're tight end and running back, are probably better passing game threats than the guys they have a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: So I don't get what the Jags are doing. I also don't get what the Titans are doing.
Speaker 3: All right, Raiders and Texans. We linked these teams together because the two biggest impactful defensive players Christian Wilkins to the Raiders Daniel Hunter to the Texans, which is the more impactful signing.
Speaker 4: I think it's Wilkins. I think it should be Wilkins. If it's not Wilkins, then something really effed up happened there. He's going to play on a line with Max Crosby.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, so that's the fans and they dressed what Tyree Wilson right, who didn't really show much. I mean, yeah, but it's like a high pedigree thing. I will get touch.
Speaker 2: Over rated by the way, but go ahead and make your point.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I think that Hunter is a consistent high floor that will They.
Speaker 2: Basically flipped out Jonathan Grenard for Danell Hanna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Wilkins. Wilkins is excellent premium position prime of his career, always has been awesome against the run, just had his best pass rush season, never miss his games. Clearly, Christian Wilkins is the better player, which is why he got the bigger deal. I think the Texans thing is just a continuation and it's Their offseason has been fascinating. It's been aggressive. This is what happens if you have a rookie QB who hits immediately, right. This is why you play the guys in year one. They now know for the next three seasons that they have a top ten will be conservative quarterback on a cheap deal.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So for two years guaranteeing Daniel Hunter, Hey, I know I'm going to get ten sacks. You know that is a very valuable thing. This is a CJ. Stroud signing possibility for the Texas.
Speaker 2: So I agree with that, listen. I also like the Christian Wilkins signing lot for the Raiders. I think the Raiders offense is going to be one of the worst in football next year, and that's why they're not going to be good. But I getting Wilkins there. I want to bring this back to the Chiefs just for a moment.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: Uh. This is why I love the Chris Jones deal so much, because I don't look at Chris Jones's thirty two million dollars a year, which is what it's three years, ninety five million, fully guaranteed, is what the deal is. Because unless you have drafted a defensive tackle that's awesome on his rookie deal. The Christian Wilkins signing tells me the cost of doing business to get a top eight d tackle is he's twenty seven and a half million a year. Just call it twenty five million bucks. That gets you in the door, because what did a Matabuque go for like twenty four million a year? Yeah, got a huge So the cost of doing if you want a proven d tackle in this league, it's twenty five million a year right now. So to me, the question is not is Chris Jones worth thirty two million bucks? The question is is Chris Jones enough better than Madibuque or Wilkins to make up for the fact that you now can't get a seven million, five to seven million dollars a year player. And the answer is unequivocally yes. You can go naked at the position to say we're going to draft a guy or not, But if you want to have an inbat guy at that spot, you're anchored at twenty five million a year. So does he It's not as he were thirty two. It's is he worth the gap between him and the other guys? And to me, I think the answer is unequivocally yes.
Speaker 4: Dunfan's Cowboys biggest off bigger offseason loser Miami or Dallas.
Speaker 2: I don't think Dallas is a big loser. They just haven't done anything. Nick Well, they did get Kendricks. They stole them away after you'd agreed to U.
Speaker 4: Let's amend that question and edit it out and throw it out.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine, But but the Cowboys were really good last year? Yeah? What what tell me?
Speaker 4: Here's how many times does the season have to end the same exact way for it to not nullify?
Speaker 2: Or Okay, so here's my lot.
Speaker 4: What happened in the seventeen game regularly, right, that's totally fair.
Speaker 2: But here's where I think you're being intellectually dishonest. Is there anything they could have done in free agency that wasn't change the coach or the quarterback that would change your opinion about them? In the playoffs? Is there a move they could have made? You're like, well, okay, now that you.
Speaker 3: Can't play you can't play the playoffs in March.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, he's saying. I think what Pony was saying is, Okay, how many times do we have to see them have good regular seasons and flame out in the playoffs? And but the question was were they a loser in free agencies? What I am saying is.
Speaker 4: They set an expectation that they were gonna make changes from the very end of that Packers game, and they've done nothing right.
Speaker 2: But are there any changes other than the coaching quarterback that would make you more optimistic about them their playoff chances next year?
Speaker 4: I mean, are you telling me that any big free agent move or trade was completely off the table for them because of like money?
Speaker 2: No? But what was it? What? What could they have done right? That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: They could have gone out there and signed a huge defensive player, or they could have signed Calvin Ridley or one of these running backs.
Speaker 2: I don't know something Nick, so that the defensive player thing I buy Ridley or the running backs wouldn't have made it.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough, But I'm just saying, like you're you're you're trying to back me into a corner here on, Like, is there any They've done nothing?
Speaker 2: So I still think Miami's far and away the bigger loser.
Speaker 3: Well, they've certainly lost the most, right, no team in the NFL has lost more, yeah than Kendall Fuller.
Speaker 2: But look at all the players.
Speaker 3: I guess the Chargers, Chargers, maybe you put you put them there.
Speaker 2: The Chargers offset by Hardball being hired as their coach, and I think Miami is in a really rough spot. I think the Miami's defense wasn't good. You talk about in the same every year with the weather.
Speaker 4: Get asked a spinoff question off of that, then, is the is the percentage higher than twenty five percent than in twenty twenty five they will have a new coach and a new quarterback in Miami.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that's on the table.
Speaker 4: I think I think a new well, I think it definitely is on the table. I don't think it's fifty to fifty, but I think it's around. I think it maybe twenty five percent to him.
Speaker 3: Why why would McDaniel be in trouble?
Speaker 2: Why why wouldn't he be I mean, I think he's a good coach and offenduction Also listen, I here's where I would be okay with McDaniel being in trouble if he green lights them giving to an extension and it seems like they're going to at that. If you're the head coach and you have some bower and you green light the extension, you then can't be like you. I no longer will give you the benefit of the held back by the quarterback because you've tied yourself to him.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, let's see how good their offense is this year. They still have Waddle, they still have Tyreek, they still have two, they still have McDaniel.
Speaker 4: If he goes three years without winning a playoff game and it's two, one and duns and they go like six and eleven this year, I don't think he'll be back.
Speaker 2: And I don't think Tuba will be back. Reminder for the audience, if you listen on the First and Pod feed, I'm Nick Wright from FS one and What's Right with Nick Right. If you're listening on the What's Right feed, it's Danny Parkins. Danny, so they know your voice. Hello, there you go. And Andrew Philipponi. Hey, now there you go. So the you can you Also, if you're What's Right listener, should subscribe to the First and Pod Football podcast. All right, we gotta really go.
Speaker 3: For yeah, we gotta go very fair.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Ravens, Eagles, Packers. Which big name running back signing do you like the most?
Speaker 2: None of them? I like none of them. You don't think about the question pick one.
Speaker 3: You don't think that the Ravens would have been committed to a more balanced attack in the playoffs if they had Derek Henry on the right.
Speaker 2: I think the narrative surrounding that Raven's playoff loss is so hilarious, which is all year long. If you were not laying flowers at Lamar's feet about sure about what a brilliant passery'd become all of this, you were called a hater. Yeah, and then with that in the playoff game, everyone's answer is how dumb were the Ravens letting Lamar pass? Why they played right into the Chiefs game plan, which was put the ball in the MVP's hands. And now the Ravens are I think, tacitly admitting okay, yeah, we kind of have to be a smash mouth run team. And I also I just I will take the under on Derrick Henry's production this year. I will do that. So I don't like that.
Speaker 4: So if it's said it, if it's set at a thousand yards, you would go under that, Yes, I would not.
Speaker 2: I really don't like the Saquon deal. They paid him the exact money that Patrick Queen got. They need back seven guys, not a linebacker. I'm fine with the Packers because they're young and they it's fine.
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm just I'm surprised. I'm surprised by the Packers one. I'm just surprised by it. Aaron Jones is awesome. They called him the best player on their team last year, and he was dominant in the playoffs. I know Jacobs is younger, but he's old like in terms of the wear on the tires. So I think Aaron Jones is awesome. So that one, that one surprised me. I think that Derek Kendrick side about Aaron Jones.
Speaker 2: He had six hundred and fifty yards last year.
Speaker 3: Look at his playoff game book.
Speaker 2: I know, I get it. He kicked the Cowboys ass. I understand that. I that I tend to when when teams don't want to bring back their own running backs. Sure, I tend to think they're right. All right, Jets, What is Aaron Rodgers doing? I don't listen. I uh uh the Jets. Here's the analogy I'll give because Robert Syl and Joe Douglas have to hate what's happened here, Yes, but they'd be fired without him. So what you have in New York is a I would say lower, a poor family, A family struggles to make ends meet. Who's ten year old just got cast as the new Harry Potter and is they are all of a sudden rich beyond their imagination. And around the time the second movie's coming out, the eleven year old now has figured out Hold on a minute, his charge here. My parents can never get they they only can live this life because of me. And I will do literally whatever I want and dare them to punish me because I'll turn the faucet off. That's what's happened. And Aaron Rodgers is the eleven year old drunk with power, like, Oh, we're gonna talk about distractions out of the building, except I am going to allow to be floated. I might be the next vice president. We are going I'm gonna go on a podcast and talk about the fact that I think mountains used to be giant trees and and all of this nonsense, and I dare you to do something about it. So I think the Jets are in the worst position of any team in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I'll just add to that because that analogy is brilliant. It's never good if you're going to AI to release a statement saying that you believed Sandy Hook happened. Yeah, that's that's just a bad spot to be we need to go.
Speaker 2: Very Giants and Panthers.
Speaker 4: The Burns trade reaction, Carolina could have had two first round picks for this guy in the same season.
Speaker 2: What a disaster. You think the Jets organization is a train wreck?
Speaker 3: Look at Carolina, right, you trade my damn Brian Burns non trade.
Speaker 2: Can I give a counter intuitive take on that Brian Burns story. I agree with everything that people are saying. Good job by the Giants. I actually like it for the Giants, good value, that's fine. The bigger story to me is not the bigger but an underrated story, is that would have been one of the worst trades ever the Ram the Rams offering two ones in a two for the league's eighth best edge rusher to give him bananas.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting about that is that Les Snead had this impulsiveness to want to do that in season and they've done next to nothing.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, no, I think that you're right. They may be Sanity said in all right, next.
Speaker 3: Uh, Lions and Niners. Status quo good enough for some of the best teams in the NFC.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is status quo for the Niners. I think that you know, you lose Eric Armstead, You're yeah.
Speaker 4: But you traded for the Houston defensive tackle to take his spot.
Speaker 2: Sure, and you added Leonard Floyd. I get that. I also it's been quiet, but the Ayuk thing seemed to be a thing, uh and good enough to still be a playoff team like the Sure. And for the Lions, I think that they're in great shade personal Yeah, I agree, But those Ben Johnson, when you're that young of a team, you get better just by a year passing, you know what I mean? Just by those guys getting experienced.
Speaker 3: Yea, and Branches back safety he'll be he'll be recover. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing for the Lions is that that Ben Johnson didn't take a head coaching job. Somehow, I do not understand how that happens. Next the Bucks, they kept the band back together. Can they win the South?
Speaker 2: They can? But I think and I like Baker a lot, I think they overachieved a bit last year and I think that they're probably in the same boat.
Speaker 4: Where can I ask you what when you say I like Baker a lot, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: What it like for someone who likes Baker a lot? What does that top ten. No, no, no, no, I actually meant personally. Oh, I mean I think that teammates like him. I think he's a leader. I think he is tough as hell. Yeah, well that costume his job in Cleveland, right, and but he is to me, he is right at average, you know what I mean? So you said he was at best thirteenth and at worst nineteenth, and he's probably sixteenth. I just think that the Falcons probably have correctly leap prog What.
Speaker 3: An incredible sense of loyalty from Mike Evans. I mean, the guy's gonna go into the Hall of Fame. He'll play his whole career with the Bucks. He got his ring. What is it? Nine straight a thousand yard seasons? At this point, guys, I thought at some point he would look to do a Hollywood Brown deal, go give the Chiefs a discount and try to get another ring and ring.
Speaker 2: I think it's because he has a ring.
Speaker 3: He doesn't need to I know, but it's just it's an awesome legacy. You just don't see it anymore.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, Bengals, Browns.
Speaker 4: Are these Ohio teams any closer to challenging Kansas City?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, good, good question.
Speaker 2: No, I mean do you think so?
Speaker 3: I think the Bengals are good.
Speaker 2: They're good, but how are they closer?
Speaker 4: Well, they got to their defense sucked ass last year. I mean, let's just I'm right out and say it. It was awful. That had really not that much to do with Joe Burrow. And they're a coach An Rumo who basically was like thought of as this Patrick Mahomes kryptonite coach. They went from having a defense that could stymy him to like being thirtieth in the league. So they brought Stone and who had what seven or eight interceptions in Baltimore, and they signed someone to play their defensive line. So like they've made the moves around the margins to fill out their team.
Speaker 2: And the t Higgins thing is is to Higgins Stone Higgins thing is the weird thing. And that's why I have to see how that lands before I can give them a real grade. Is that everybody that's everybody, Oh, what do we have? Who do we leave out? Well? We left out Commanders and Seahawks? What's up with the Howell trade? Oh? I go ahead, you, I mean, it's just it's wild.
Speaker 3: If that's a spot that also isn't available for Justin Fields because of Sam Howell. Because they're saying they came out and very publicly committed to Gino Smith with the guaranteed money. Did they well saying all of that publicly?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Sho speak louder than words. It's like to MEA.
Speaker 3: Howel is not gonna challenge Gino Smith to be the starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying he's gonna challenge him to be the starting quarterback. But my guess is by Thanksgiving he's he's the seahawks starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: I disagree, Oh, I disagree. I don't think Sam Hell is good at all. I think that the the Commanders are obviously gonna draft either maid Wait a minute.
Speaker 4: If you're the Seahawks and you've got new coaches, right, and you get to the midpoint of the season and you're like four and four and Gino Smith doesn't have a future there, why wouldn't you see what Howell has?
Speaker 2: Because you can see what Howell has by turning on his film for his entire NFL career. That's what I think. All right. One of these two people wrote a book. It's coming out in a few weeks. We discussed that next What's Right and the First in Pod podcast crossover. All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright and First in Pod. It's a first ever crossover episode we've ever done. This will show up on both of the podcast feeds Danny Parkins Andrew Philippony from First and Pod, and they're also going to be on First Things First on Friday, which depends on when you're listening to this. It's you know whatever, it doesn't matter, uh, Danny, Yes, sir, I couldn't believe you were doing this when you told me you were doing it.
Speaker 3: It was it was a dumb idea.
Speaker 2: So I'm holding this up to the camera. I dumb idea is not the right word. It was a big tech undertaking.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Danny Parkins and his dear friend Ben Kaplan wrote a book called Pipeline to the Pros. And when I say wrote a book, not like a pamphlet, like a real long book, it comes out with like a real publisher and stuff it no, no, a whole thing, go ahead, it comes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes out April sixteenth. Pipeline of the Pros, how d three small college Nobody's Rose to Rule the NBA.
Speaker 2: Okay, so listen, I've read the book. It's outstanding. Jeff ban Gundi wrote the foreword, and it is do you guys remember when we were in college and like, I feel like you tried to dunk a basketball and broke your wrist. That happened. That's not the story I was gonna go to. I feel like it was a big thing at war or college radio station, and now I don't quite remember it. It was called like the Cradle of Coaches or the Cradle of Quarterback. It was some area of Ohio that, like all these kind.
Speaker 4: Of Miami, Ohio was the cradle of coaches, and like all of these coaches came from all these NFL coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah NFL. Okay, So the premise of this book, well, I'm gonna let Danny describe it, but it is wild when you when you get into the actual numbers and how Division III college basketball had, how those guys have become some of the biggest power brokers in the NBA, and what it teaches us about where the league is headed and how it got there is fascinating. So you go and explain it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I didn't know anything about this story, right, We went to Syra, but we have a very big, powerful alumni network of broadcasters, much like you know Wharton Business School or Harvard Medical School. It's a powerful network. Well, these guys who for the love of the game, basically after high school, didn't want to give up the game, but had no dreams of playing at a Syracuse or a Duke or in North Carolina and were smart, went to these liberal arts colleges to get a good education and it was the only place that they could play. And then they realized as the game in the league was getting smarter, that they had a unique ability because of their intelligence, how you have to teach the game at that level, you're more of a teacher than like a talent manager. And they also could speak basketball because it's a pretty damn high level of competition, that they were uniquely qualified to be excellent coaches. In front office members a few years ago, thirteen of thirty teams had either a head coach or a top decision maker as in like president of basketball operations, the number one guy an organization that had played or coached D three. So we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Give us some of the names. So we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Like Greg Popovich, Sam Presty with the Knicks, both Tom Thibodeaux and Leon Rose, the forward by Jeff Van Gundy, Stan van Gundy, he hires Tibbs, Steve Clifford, Frank Vogel, Mike Butenholzer, So all of these guys.
Speaker 2: So not just so not just the powerful guys, but some of the most well regarded champion coaches or championship level coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Kobe Altman who runs the Cavs, rafel Stone, who runs the Rockets. And so what we did was Brett Brad Stevens. I talked to Brad Stevens for ninety minutes. I mean, so we talked to these guys.
Speaker 2: Brad Stevens was D three guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, yeah, And so we talked to these guys and the network that they've created. We talked at this radio conference, right, we helped our friends, yep, along the way. These guys helped their friends along the way. And it was once a couple of them got in Jeff Van Gundy and Greg Popovich probably is the biggest modern names that you would know. They said, it really is just teaching. I just need people who can teach these guys. Basketball players want to learn. They don't care if you're six foot nothing, one hundred and fifty pounds. If you can teach Patrick Ewing how to be better, or you can teach Tim Duncan how to be better, it doesn't matter that you could have never played at his level. And so that's the basketball side. The things that they've impacted in NBA history are incredible. But it's also I think it's like a management primer. It's a story of networking, it's about the value of a good liberal arts education. It's I think people would really get a lot out of it, So listen.
Speaker 2: It is if you're a big NBA fan, it is I think one of the best in kind of unique idea NBA books to come out in years. Even though, but if you are watching this and you're not a big NBA fan, it is it is applicable to a lot of fields about how to find talented people, and maybe not the places you would initially think to. I wanted to ask you a couple other questions though, because I Will Hardy is a guy I don't know if you mentioned him. Chris Finch obviously talk to both of them for the book. And so when did this really start like is there ay, you mentioned the Van Gundyes, but was there a moment where you saw, like, oh, it went from being there was one guy like this to a surplus of guys like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so like in the post, so you can go back further right with like a Karl Sheer or a Norm Sanzhu and like some of the guys like the Carl Sheer helps the Nuggets and the ABA transformation and bringing All Star weekends to the NBA all sorts of like you can go back in NBA history and find one offs Bill Musselman guys like that. But Greg Popovich and Jeff Van Gundy after them, I mean they hired everybody. Sam Presty gets hired by pop and then Sam Presty starts emailing these NESCAC schools, these Northeast Liberal Arts schools, emailing their coaches and saying, hey, do you have anyone on your staff but or on your on your team, on your roster or your managers who are smart and could apply like data sciences, And then he hires them to.
Speaker 4: Run there and like what Belichick did for a lot of the D three guys, it sounds remarkably like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's very it's very similar, and I mean and bringing guys into the video coordinator rooms, coaching staffs have been expanded, the G League, all of that stuff, and so there's just there's more opportunity now it's not just I got four assistant coaches and I've got to fill it with an XNBA player.
Speaker 2: All right, real quick before we wrap up, Yeah, what's the pushback on this? By putting that on your book? But on the I imagine there are some people that are like, yeah, and that's why guys who play in the league, who have real hands on the ground experience playing big time basketball, that there's not as much room for them. Is there a level of I don't know if resentments the right word, but pushback or resentment or anything.
Speaker 3: Well, so we asked all these guys for stories about, you know, people challenging them and players not buying in and all of that, and it was a wide range. Like some guys were like absolutely, like hub Brown talking about Oscar Robertson, like think he was going to drown him in an ocean. Talk to Hube Brown for two hours and forty five minutes in the book. Jeff Van Gundy, though, was like I would have never been hired if it was an interim job.
Speaker 2: No, no team would have ever believed me.
Speaker 3: But I got the interim job and I had humble superstars and Patrick Ewing vouched for me and then made his career. So those anecdotes are more on like a case by case basis, but there are a lot of unique challenge challenges there. And then I would just also just like say one more thing, like I'm donating the money that I make from the book to brain cancer research, to Brain Up and honor my brother Brad. This you mentioned like you couldn't believe that I was taking this on. Ben's dad diagnosed with a rare disease after we started the book passed away. Both my dad and brother passed away all during the process from like concept to publication. So it's a story like for us, it's an accomplishment of like friendship. It was a distraction, perseverance, and we're hoping to raise a little bit of money for brain cancer research and honor my brother.
Speaker 2: So the people, the first and Pod crew knows that Danny's brother about three and a half years ago was diagnosed about three and a half user goes dinosed with glue oblastoma.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess actually coming up on four and a half years ago, oh fo yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And made it for almost three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's I guess, yes, we're coming out four year because he's been dead. He died last Easter.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And so that went through that entire process during the writing of this book. So, as he mentioned, every dollar that he generates from this will go to the research to try it, which they've made real strides on just in the last since I've been familiar with the last few years. But it still considered an uncurable form correct of brain cancer. And so the book is Pipeline to the Pros. People can pre order it now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, preorders are going. Preorders are going very well. And it's you'd have it April sixteenth.
Speaker 2: April sixteenth, right before Easter this year, right or right around yeah, this year. Pipeline to the Pros. They can just google it, like, is there a website to go to?
Speaker 3: Just Google Pipeline of the Pros. It's available at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, wherever you get books, Triumph books dot com. But yeah, it's in my Twitter handle. It's the pins tweet you just pipeline of the pros, you'll find it awesome.
Speaker 2: It's I we about a year ago on the show we did book club. We then stopped it because I didn't really know how to do book club. I would just like to read chapters on the air. It was terrible podcasting. But this book is worthwhile for everyone, and I really hope though What's Right audience, obviously the First and Pod audience checks it out. All right, fellas, we gotta go. Great job everyone, Thank you for the bonus episode. If you're listening on First and podspeed, subscribe to the right podcast. If you're listening to What's Right Feed, subscribe to the First and Pod podcast and we will talk to you guys soon. Hey, it's snicker right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers will help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And you're audio listeners. People that have commute strives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of for your eyes. All that check it out, appreciate your