Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody on Danboard, and thanks for downloading the Bengals boot podcasts. The Man I could watch you like a feature film edition as I visit with my favorite film study guru, Greg Cosel. Then it's the latest edition of five Questions with one of this year's draft picks, followed by five observations after watching practice. The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by Pai Core, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write to your phone, tablet or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since forgotten dry cleaning. I think we all know the joy of discovering a five, ten, or even twenty dollars bill in a pants pocket. You gotta love found money. Well, I had a similar experience this week with clothing. I was looking for my nicest suit for a dressy occasion, and for the life of me couldn't find it. I searched through every closet in the house before finally thinking that maybe, just maybe, I took it to the dry cleaner and forgot to pick it up. Sure enough, not only did they have the suit, but they had several nice dress shirts that had been sitting there since November. It was like buying new clothes, but at a fraction of the cost. Now let's get to my first guest. I have something in common with Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, Ross Tucker, and just about anybody that hosts a podcast or radio show about football. One of my favorite guests is Greg Cosel from NFL Films and the ESPN Matchup Show, and he joined me this week for an in depth off season look at the Bengals. Greg, the last time we talked was at the NFL Combine where you were working on your player evaluations, and as it turns out, you did detailed film breakdowns of all six Bengals draft picks, plus a couple of guys that they signed as undrafted free agents. So let's start with Shamar Stewart. You called him one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft.
Speaker 2: Explain why, Yeah, because this guy is a freakish athlete. I mean, you just turn on the tape. I knew nothing. You know, It's funny, Dan, I watch a good amount of college football, and some guys I end up feeling like, oh, they're very familiar to me, even though I haven't done their tape, And other guys I don't really know a lot about it all. And Shamar Stewart was a guy that was almost virgin territory for me when I started watching him. And as soon as you put the tape on, I mean, this guy is a sudden explosive athlete. He just jumped off the tape just watching him move. I mean, this guy has explosive athleticism. And then you watch more and more and you can't help it be impressed with the athleticism. But I came away feeling that he just needs to learn how to rush the quarterback, that he just didn't really have a sense of how to do that. He would just get off the ball and run into the tackle, and every once in a while, because he's so strong and if he had enough runway with his velocity, speed and natural power, he could shove the tackle back into the pocket, and of course they moved him around as well. As you probably know. He didn't just play on the outside. But my sense is that's what he'll be. So I came away believing that, you know, he just someone needs to teach him really how to rush the quarterback, all the nuances, the details, how to use his hands, how to playoff contact. You have to be able to play off contact.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I've been fortunate to speak to offensive lineman from the first thing they say offensive tackles in particular is it's all about speed to power. If you can't beat me with power, then I have the advantage right off the bat. So he's got to learn. Even though he's strong and he's explosive, he has to learn how to play off that contact because once he creates it, he kind of stopped. So but if he can put it all together, you know, when you say that about a lot of guys, so I'm not saying anything profound here, but if you can put it all together, you could have a guy that's really a dynamic player because the athletic traits are just off the charts.
Speaker 1: Because he only had four and a half sacks in his career in Texas A and M. He's been referred to by some as boom or bust. I think of it more as boom or solid. Yeah. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, here's in my transition. I know you look at my material, so you know how I do this. You know I do strength to weaknesses transition in my transition, which I'm sure you read that. At this point in his development, Stewart is more of an athletic and physical freak than a polished, refined player, and its projection and transition to the next level will depend a great deal in the D line coach of the team that drafts it. And you know, so to me, that's a major thing. You have to teach this guy. And I don't know the kid. I'm hopeful he's receptive to being coached and taught because you know, if he puts it all together, like I said, you really have something.
Speaker 1: Did Texas A and M use him in ways that limited his production?
Speaker 2: I mean he lined up in multiple spots along their defensive front. I mean there were times he was reduced, there were times he rushed versus guards, there were times he was the one technique or zero technique. You know, he really moved around, I think to me, and again that doesn't mean you can't move him around. That depends on your other personnelity and how they see it when you get to pure pass situations. But my sense is he's probably an edge player. You know, he had plays you know when you watch the tape where you win, well, you know he had he had a snap against armand Membo last year and Membo was a was a high pick in the first round, the Missouri right tackle where he just physically manhandled Membo and Membo was really really strong. And he had really some really good snaps as well against Will Campbell from LSU. So it's there, it's in his body. Like I said, I think he's an end. Depending on the way their other personnel might develop, you know, it could could you move him inside? You could?
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Their second round pick was linebacker Demetrius Knight out of South Carolina. He wrote that he can be a Day one starter, and that appears to be the plan. It seems most likely that he is going to start for the Bengals next to Logan Wilson. What do you like about Knight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I you know again, maybe I'm old school. Then you know, it's probably because I'm old But you know, the thing I liked about Night is this guy just had a really well chiseled frame and he played physically. And to me, if you're going to be a stackbacker somewhere along the line, you have to play physically. And I thought that he really did that well. But now there were other elements of his game that I really really loved. He had a quick trigger, he had an explosive first step, he had burst in acceleration. I thought his run defense was as good as any linebacker in the twenty twenty five draft class. I mean, he knew what he saw. You know, we talk about key and diagnose. That's a phrase you hear a lot for the linebackers in particular. I thought his key and diagnose was really good. For another trim, you hear a lot of scrape and flow to work through traffic. I thought he was really really good at that. And he was a better athlete than I think some people gave him credit for. He made a lot of plays where he in pursued, you know, running down people. So I really liked his tape a lot. And you know, when I saw its forty time and again, not that that's the be all and end all. I said, Okay, you know that that's good. He ran a four or five eight that that's good because this kid is a good sized kid. You've probably seen him. I mean, he's put together. So I thought he was a classic stacked backer and obviously that's the way he would play for the Bengals. And as you said, it would not surprise me for a second if he's the starter next to Logan Wilson.
Speaker 1: They took another linebacker in the fourth round, Barrett Carter out of Clemson. One Bengal scout told me that he thought he was the best coverage linebacker in the draft. What stood out to you when you watch Barrett Carter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what that to me is his best the best part of his game. I mean I thought that, you know, he had the speed to carry your receivers down the seam. He was really good. And underneath his own coverage, he had a good feel for routes, good feel for reading the quarterback. You know, he's a very athletic kid. I mean he's a little bit smaller than you'd idea only like I think, but you know, he's probably still a stackbacker. There's no question that he had to see it and go quick trigger mentality. I mean, he played fast and he had a lot of range. He's twitchy. You know, he's an interesting guy. Uh And my guess is he's a fourth round pick because he's not quite as big as you would like. You know, he's six feet, he's two thirty. Yeah, he didn't his forty times wasn't as good as Knights. That which is really interesting because at the end of the day, he's he's his game has to be about speed and range. But he is a really good coverage player. It'll be interesting to see how he acclimates to the league and if you can play in their sub early on, or whether he's the kind of player that almost needs, you know, half a year or a year to kind of acclimate to the league.
Speaker 1: We are chatting with Greg co Sell from NFL Films in the ESPN Matchup Show. The Bengals drafted two offensive linemen, Dylan Fairchild in the third round Jalen Rivers in the fifth. In reading your evaluations, I got the impression that you were just as high on Rivers as fair Child. Is that accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like Jalen Rivers. You know, it's funny, Jalen Rivers I actually watched a year ago, you know, just I look at names in the summer. You know, it's what I'm doing now. I'm watching some guys will be in next year's draft. So I saw a lot of snaps of Rivers in twenty twenty three, and then of course I did them a lot this year. I really liked Rivers. You know, he played both left guard and left tackle. He's got extensive experience playing both. My senses, you know, you tell me you're there. My senses, he'll probably be seen as a guard. Is that the way it's playing out.
Speaker 1: They're starting them out at tackle.
Speaker 2: Interesting and you know, and it's interesting you say that because his arm length is thirty five inches and he has a tremendous wingspan. So and he's six' five three quarters and three nineteen so he's got everything you want size wise for a. TACKLE i think he can be a, tackle but you, KNOW i thought that he could be a really good. Guard so, again we'll see how it plays. Out but you, know there's not a lot of tackles that come out in the draft with thirty five inch, arms so he has what it. Takes AND i really liked his. TAPE i saw a lot of snaps of him over a two year, period you, know and to, Me, dan he was just one of those guys that was just a really solid. Player like if he plays the same way in THE nfl that he played At, miami he's the. Guy to, me you just line him up and you feel. Comfortable he may not be An All, pro he may, not you, know but you just feel, like you know What we're. Okay rivers is out, There he's gonna do his.
Speaker 1: Job because of his. Versatility At, MIAMI i think they look at him as a great candidate to be a swing, tackle a guy that can play. Guard so at least for, now he's been getting most of his repsit, tackle but obviously that can change as we get closer to the. Season as For Dylan, fairchild he's currently projected to start at left. Guard would he be an upgrade From Cordell, vohlson particularly in pass.
Speaker 3: Pro.
Speaker 2: YEAH i went back and forth on. Him there were TIMES i thought he was. GOOD i MEAN i even said that in my transition he was a mixed. WATCH i thought there was some good and some not so. Good AS i thought about his projection to the. League you, know you watch a guy play At george, obviously and they run the, ball you, KNOW nfl run. Game he passed, protected so he had a lot of, snaps AND i saw a lot of, snaps AND i thought he had some really good snapshots both as a run blocker and pass. Protector BUT i thought the thing that stood out to, Me and Again i'm certainly not an a line. Coach you, know the THING i always try to figure out WHEN i watch olignemen AND i try to get the answer from all line coaches as well guys AS i, know BUT i still feel LIKE i struggle sometimes IS i never know what AN o line coach you'll tell, me OH i can fix that in two, weeks OR i can't fix, that you. Know SO i SO i thought he had balance and body control issues too often for. Me you, Know i'm not an a, guru BUT i think that that needs to be corrected BECAUSE i thought that he got you, know his body over his feet too. Often his upper. BODY i thought they were you, know just some. Missionies and and he was a third round, pick so that's not a throwaway. Pick a third round pick for an offensive guard is a guy you think is going to be a. Starter, so as you, said they haven't penciled in that way right. NOW i did feel that he had strong traits to develop into a, starter and THEN i said that that whether that occurs will be a function of coaching and. Commitment and you know That i'm not, there SO i don't know how all that's going to. Work AND i certainly don't Know Dylan. Fairchild but there's a lot of there's a lot of good, snapshots BUT i just thought the balance and body control that needs to be cleaned.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 1: Well as we, said he is penciled in for. Now so a lot can change between now and the start of the season In, cleveland but at least for, Now Scott peters thinks that he's a guy that can start at left. Guard The bengals final draft pick was running Back Taj. Brooks what does he add to a running back room that Includes Chase brown and some A Jp Ryn.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting because you know, WHAT i really Like Chase. BROWN i mean you probably do, too you. KNOW i Think Chase brown is a really good, player you, know AND i think because you, know A burrow And chase And. Higgins you, know you don't really think a whole lot About Chase, brown BUT i think you would agree that he had a really good year last, year you, know for how he was deployed and what he was asked to. Do you, KNOW i, mean obviously they're not using him where they want. To they give him the, ball you, know to Be Derrick, henry you, know that's not what he. Is but the thing About brooks and it'll be. Interesting he's got a lot of wear and. Tear he's had over nine hundred carries in five years in. COLLEGE i think he's he knows how to. Run you, know he's got good. Size he's not a, burner BUT i think he knows how to. Run he's, patient he knows how to press the. Hole he knows how to set up second level, defenders which is SOMETHING i really look for with, backs with their path because obviously the way backs are often taught in you know, this the first two steps backs have to they have a path that's that's dictated by what the run. Is and then at that point maybe maybe it's three, steps depending on the coach and how it's. Coached but then it's, okay what happens? Next then it's it's more what he, sees how he. REACTS i think he can change. DIRECTION i think he showed some jump cut. Ability you. KNOW i think he's a solid. Back he's just he's a big. Back so the question, is Because Chase brown is not a small back, either is where does he fit? In you, know he's not going to beat Out Chase, Brown so the question is is does he get some snaps in place Of Chase brown because he's certainly not going to be your third down.
Speaker 1: Back that's P, Ryan, yeah that's P.
Speaker 2: Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yep The bengals did not draft defensive, tackle but they signed to as undrafted free. Agents that you did detailed evaluations Of Eric gregory out Of arkansas And Howard cross out Of Notre. Dame described those two.
Speaker 2: Guys, Yeah gregory was a GUY i kind of, liked to be honest with. YOU i, MEAN i Thought, gregory you, know BECAUSE i watched a lot Of, arkansas BECAUSE i watched a lot Of land And, jackson and So gregory has, said you know, What i'm gonna watch him. Too he's he's a run stuffer. Guy you, Know he's another one of those guys that's a run. Stuffer that's the strength of his. Game you, know HE'S i would say he's and he developed into a pass rusher at times, maybe but he's you, know he's got a desirable combination of point of attack, strength he's got quickness to take on and defeat double. Teams but you, know it's funny you, mentioned you, know sort of what they. Did the player THAT i, thought in some ways is is really. Interesting And i'm really curious Is slayton who they, signed Because slayton is a, really really good run defender AND i liked him a, lot so to, me that was a really really important signing for. Them, so you, know we talked about this the last TIME i spoke to you and we did this and we talked ABOUT i had mentioned the fact THAT i thought that their d tackles were not you, know run guys or passed or you, know that they needed work, there and they obviously felt the same. Way but, uh you, Know Cross cross is a smaller. Guy i'm always a little leery of those guys because he's not super. Explosive you, Know he's not one of those guys that you go, wow you, Know it's not like you're looking At Grady. Jarrett you know those kinds of. Guys you, know some guys are just super explosive and you live with the fact that they're. Smaller you, Know i'm not going to compare anyone To Aaron, donald, obviously but you, know smaller guys have to be. Explosive AND i think the reason cross despite a really nice college, career A Notre dame and you, know to talk going into his last year that he'd, be you, know a higher draftable. Player it just you, know the traits, eventually just don't, say, hey draftaball and you know He's he's one of those. Guys he's a long.
Speaker 1: Shot to, me we are visiting with a Great greg Co. Cell we now have five years OF nfl tape Of Joe. Burrow he's got the best completion percentage IN nfl, history nearly sixty nine. Percent his career passer rating is better than one oh. One you've studied quarterbacks for more than forty. Years are there areas where you already Consider Joe burrow to be an all time?
Speaker 2: Great all time? Great is that's that's you, know that's a big. Term, LOOK i Love Joe. BURROW i, mean it's. FUNNY i had my intern last year was a quarterback in. College he's now working in the, league you, know which is great for, Him and he was a quarterback and we used to Talk borrow all the time because he, was you, know a, quarterback and you just we love Talking. BURROW i, mean there's nothing not to love when you talk About Joe, burrow just the way he. Plays you, Know burrow is one of those guys that when you watch him play and you would know, this you're. There i'm, not AND i certainly don't Know Joe, burrow but he just seems like he's so aware of everything going, on like it's innate to. Him it's just in HIS, dna you, know Because i've talked to coaches over the years who always say offensive coaches that it really takes at least three years for a quarterback to understand all the details of his offense and then all the details of all the defenses he plays. AGAINST i just get the sense Watching burrow that that's just innate to, him that he just gets. That you, know, guys a lot of guys never learn, that you, know they coaches teach, it but some guys you, know in some ways you do. BASKETBALL i know you do The university Of cincinnati. Basketball it's like a point. Guard you, know you can sit with an, iPad you can watch film all day. Long some guys see the floor and some guys. Don't you can't teach a guy to Be Jason. Kidd you, know some guys see the, floor some guys. Don't when you agree with that based.
Speaker 1: On, yeah point guards, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And a quarterback in many. Ways as a point, guard you know is you know you call no one calls a play with the idea of drop back and run. Around they call a play with the idea that whether it's three, step five, step seventh, step that you're gonna hit that step and you're gonna be able to throw the ball to. Someone it may not be the primary although in an ideal world that's what you, like that's what you, want but you're gonna throw the ball to, someone so, you're you, know at its, core the way the quarterback position is taught as you're a, distributor you're not a. Playmaker the playmaker is sort of the added element that the league kind of demands more than ever because of the way defenses have, evolved but the way the position is still taught is you're a distributor and. Borrowed to, me just seems like he has such an innate feel for where to go with the, football you, know and and if and if the play doesn't, work he has an immediate feel, for, Hey i'm gonna. Move but he just. Knows AND i don't know if you CAN i, mean obviously he's, coached you, know BUT i don't know if you can coach that kind of a vision and. Clarity he just plays the game with so much, clarity would you, AGREE.
Speaker 1: I, mean pre, snap post, snap middle of the, play all of. It that the spatial. Awarenessess, yeah it's. Uncanny you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i have this conversation With Kurt warner so many. Times Kurt warner is not a big fan of pure, progression Which i'll give a one sense explanation and that it's very. Simple it's the way it's taught, now beginning at a young age with quarterbacks is they're basically taught that here's the route. Concept you throw it to the to the. Primary if he's not, open you throw it to the next. Guy if he's not, open you throw it to the next. Guy the defense doesn't. Matter AND i think that's fine all through. COLLEGE i don't think that's fine in THE. Nfl And kurt AND i talk about this all the time because he can't stand. That he, says how can you play quarterback in THE nfl without truly understanding what the defense? Is and you, know my guess Is burrow really knows defenses that are really really high level and in his study for any given, opponent that he really understands what he's facing that given week and how it impacts how he has to. Play but he's just you, know he's such a fun. WATCH i, mean you, know LIKE i, said, YEAH i love Watching Josh. Allen who does? It you, KNOW i, mean come, on but you, know just the Way burrow and by the Way alan has gotten so much better in that, regard by the WAY i Think Joe brady's done a great job with.
Speaker 1: Him but.
Speaker 2: You, KNOW i just you, know the plays that no one ever sees as a, highlight but WHICH i see Because i've been Watching tate now for more than thirty, years you, know and the plays that are so important in. Games and you know, This dan is when it's third and, seven you complete a ball for nine. Yards those are the plays that you, Know Troy aikman was a master at that with Jovichik those are never plays you see on a highlight because they don't seem like they're, important but they're really. Important you. Know those are the plays that matter in.
Speaker 1: Games And Joe burrow has executed those plays as well as anybody in the league during HIS nfl. Career let's talk about the guy that he throws to most, Frequently Jamar. Chase coming off incredible year where he led THE nfl and catches yards and. Touchdowns how does he get? Open how do The bengals get him open when every defense they face is designed to try to shut him.
Speaker 2: Down that becomes a function of a couple of. Things and believe, me there are, times and you know, this you know where teams clearly and situationally will double. Him there's no question that that does. Occur and by the, way there's been times he's beat double teams, too which make you know is one of the reasons he's so. Great BUT i think what you get into AND i don't have a breakdown in front of me because you, know you AND i are just kind of talking. BALL i didn't know what you were going to talk to me. About BUT i think they do a really really good. Job and you have to do this now in the league with formation, variation, Movement chase does not just line up in one. Spot he's not just the BOUNDARY, x even though he can line up. There he's not just this or just. That he lines up all over the. Formation they'll he'll go in motion at. TIMES i, mean you, know you're trying to dictate to the defense that, hey if they want to double, him then you're going to have to make them adjust just before the snap of the ball and or just or line up in a way that maybe they are not really comfortable, playing because If chase is in a certain, spot well now we may be a little uncomfortable with who we have playing T, higgins you. Know so it's you, know fans always, say, well just double them on every. Play, well you AND i both know the game doesn't quite work like. That offenses know those things, too so they do a lot of different. Things BUT i remember When chase came out and he didn't play as last year in college as many might, remember BECAUSE i believe that was THE covid, year serves me, Correctly BUT i remember watching all his tape the year prior when you, know which is twenty nineteen when they won The national championship When borrow was the, quarterback AND i remember the player and he's, bigger but the player that he reminded me. Of AND i don't Think i've said this in, years Because chase is his own, guy and to, Me chase And jefferson are the two best receivers in. Football he reminded me of a Bigger Steve. Smith does that make any sense to?
Speaker 1: You in some? WAYS i, mean competitiveness when the ball is in the, air one of those two guys is going to come down with. It great after the, catch.
Speaker 2: Explosive great after the, catch can be a little, nasty you know at. Times, YEAH i MEAN i just that's the guy that jumped out to me WHEN i watched his college, tape and nothing in THE nfl has changed my view of. That you, know that's kind of you, Know HE'S i just think he's absolutely. Terrific he's so. EXPLOSIVE i think he's a really good route runner. TOO i think that's probably overlooked because he's so explosive and just a body. TYPE i, mean he, is he is just so solidly. Built so AS i, SAID i look At Jason jefferson as the two best receivers in the.
Speaker 1: League all, right a few more questions For Greg cosel from ESPN's Matchup show AND nfl. Films let's talk defense a little. Bit El bolden comes From Notre dame to become the defensive. Coordinator his defense last year was fourth and points allowed number one in. Takeaways i'm sure you saw a lot Of Notre dame's defense as you study their players for the. Draft did anything stand out about his defense as a?
Speaker 2: Whole you, Know it's, FUNNY i didn't study you, Know i'm usually looking at. Players you, KNOW i guess the thing That i'm very curious, about and you know you're, there so you may have a. Sense i'm curious to see if there's going to be you, know more. Crusher you, KNOW i never viewed The bengals as kind of a pressure sure. Defense you, know they weren't. TIMES i, mean everybody is at, times but you know a lot of times when it comes to, pressure you have to feel good about your. Corners you, Know Notre, dame, ACTUALLY i Mean Marson Benjamin morrison got, hurt but they had memory serves me. Correctly they had a freshman corner who was, really really. Good it's probably going to be a top pick in a couple of. Years but and of course they had the safety In, watts whose the third round pick OF i Guess. Atlanta They atlanta, right so that they had really they had a really good back. End but you, KNOW i guess if the season were to start tomorrow on the, outside would we be looking At turner and Tailor.
Speaker 1: Britt, probably although With Dax hill he was so successful as an outside corner last. Year, yeah there's some thought that he moves to the slot because he played a lot of that in. College on the other, hand it's so hard to find good out outside. Corners, yeah and he was their. Best do you leave him out there and then figure out the slot Between Josh, newton who was a rookie last, year Maybe Jalen davis who's been good as a. BACKUP i think that's that's going to be a resolve during training.
Speaker 2: Camp, yeah AND i think that's a big question Because Dax. HILL i, thought what week did he get hurt last?
Speaker 1: Year it was The baltimore. GAME i think it Was week. Five If i've GOT i, THOUGHT i.
Speaker 2: Thought he played really well at outside, corner AND i think he's got the traits to be you, know it's FUNNY i said that in my notes WHEN i did him coming, out, because as you, know when he was In, michigan he played. Safety he played safety in their base and he played slot in their sub packages At Notre dame excuse, me At, michigan and he was really good at. Both and obviously he was drafted as a safety because that was in a sense primary. Position BUT i made a note AS i watched, HIM i, Said, god with his traits and his side THAT i thought he could play outside corner in the. League and you, know we you AND i have had this conversation a couple of, times and obviously they made the. Move AND i think you got to start at outside, Corner, like if you feel he's one of your two best outside, corners to, me he's got to go. There i'm not saying slot's not. Important it's become obviously an increasingly important position in the. League BUT i think you got to start on the, outside and if he's one of your two, best he's got to that's where he's got to.
Speaker 1: Play he was their best last, year and again there wasn't a ton of, games But i'm inclined to. AGREE i think if he's your best outside corner with a position of that, importance at least that's where you. Begin and then IF dj And Cam taylor Brit are having great, camps maybe you. Reconsider BUT i think as well as he played it last, year that's where you start him and you go from.
Speaker 2: There, well the interesting thing to me, is you, know look the way drafts work, out you never, know it's always easy FOR i went to say they should have drafted, this or they should have drafted. That you, know you know how drafts work. OUT i never do that because there's so many. Factors i'm not in draft, rooms you, KNOW i. Don't you, know there's just too many variables to start saying things about how you know what teams. Do but obviously it's essentially the same group on the back end as it was a year. Ago so since they did not make a, move they must feel pretty. Comfortable these players are still, young you, know and they're with them every. Day you, Know i'm. Not you're you, know you're around, it so you you, know you know more THAN i. Do BUT i Mean turner was a second round. Pick battle was a you, know third round. Pick Taylor britt was a second round. PICK i know he had his ups and downs last. YEAR i Thought Josh newton was probably more, worthy you, know could have been drafted higher than a fifth round. Pick BUT i thought playing both snaps in the slot and outside last, year he quitted himself. Reasonably well when you, agree totally, agree you. Know so they you, know they obviously feel that, hey morek you, know knew some new, coaches you, know a little bit of a new system that, hey these guys can line up and play because you. Can't. Look you AND i both know you can't go into AN nfl season feeling like you're not good at. Corner that's just too much of a. Hindrance so they obviously believe some combination Of, Turner, Newton Taylor britt And hill on the, outside some combination of that is going to get the job.
Speaker 1: Done so you listed several of the guys that they've used high draft picks on on defense in recent. Years let me hit you with a couple other, names guys that are expected to play much more significant roles this. Year Miles murphy And Chris. Jenkins what do you think of those two as they step into or at least we figure step, into more prominent.
Speaker 2: Roles murphy is in some ways a carbon, copy although not quite as, freaky but he's somewhat of a carbon copy Of Shamar. Stewart you watched, him you, know look at, him and you, know you know you see. Him this guy looks like he should be a really good. PLAYER i, mean he's, big he's, long he's. Athletic everything About Miles murphy says this guy should be able to be a good D. N i can't tell you why it hasn't happened, yet you, KNOW i certainly don't know, him but you're. RIGHT i, mean, look let's assume The hendricksons thing works. OUT i, mean he's you know how stuff gets said In, may AND i you, know if he's not, traded he's not going to sit out the whole season that that just doesn't, happen you, know so and when it does, happen guys ruined their careers and HE'S i don't think he's gonna do that, personally but you, KNOW i don't know Trade, Hendrickson but let's assume he's back so now they're still looking for that other age. Player you, know they have a sigh who hasn't quite been the. Guy you, Know murphy was drafted. To, REALLY i, mean he's the first round, pick as you, know and he looks the. Part so it's in an ideal world they would love it to Be stewart Or. MURPHY i, mean that's the bottom, line you know. That you, Know Chris, jenkins to, ME i think he's a solid. Player you, know he's a second round. PICK i don't think he'll ever be a, stud BUT i think he could be a, nice solid rotational. Player, look they SIGNED. Tj. Slayton that tells you a lot right. There you, KNOW i think they SIGNED. Tj slayton to start a detackle on their base. Defense, correct they didn't sign. Him they didn't sign him to be a. Backup they signed him to be a. Starter and then because they still HAVE Bj, hill who's quietly a very nice player as a base defensive, tackle that Means Chris jenkins is not going to play in the base. DEFENSE i, mean he might get snaps, rotationally but he's not going to be one of the main guys in your base. Defense so they obviously don't see him yet as that, guy.
Speaker 1: But they do want to rotate, guys And i'm sure he will get playing with snaps this. Year plus he played last year with a broken. Thumb hopefully with two healthy, hands he'll be more effective this. Year final question For Great. COSEEL i really appreciate all of your. Time The bengals are four years removed from Their Super bowl. Appearing it's their three years removed from their last trip to THE Afc Championship. Game where are The bengals right now in your? Mind still a top? Contender are they at a? Crossroads how would you classify The bengals going into year? Six For joe.
Speaker 2: Burrow, WELL i would answer that by saying that it's all function of their, defense because you, know AGAIN i don't remember the exact stat but weren't there something like five or six or games or four games last year where they scored thirty three or more points and? Loss there was some ridiculous number like. That AM i?
Speaker 1: Right it was three with thirty three plus and FIVE i believe with thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus, Yeah so you, KNOW i think we're okay on. OFFENSE i Mean i'm not thinking. SARCASTIC i think we're okay on. Offense you, know the main thing is defense, here and you, know, look there's a lot a lot of the players are the. Same so they made a coaching. Change you, know that happens when you're you, know it's and by the, WAY i don't think little lenarm and you know him as a bad coach by any. Means but you, know we know how the league, works and it didn't Take lou long to get you, know to get taken up by another. Team so you, KNOW i think he's a highly respected. Guy but you, know things do change in the. League so to, me it's a function of. Defense so they have to be the best defense in the. League, no but no matter how good your offense, is every once in a, while you got to win a game twenty. Seventeen that's just the nature of the. League and to me it speaks to even how much Greater borrow is than we spoke about the fact that he probably feels like he has to score thirty five every week just to. Compete and that's a hard road to hoe every single, week even for someone Like Joe, burrow you, know who's pretty much unflappable about. It but to, me it all comes down to the. Defense you, know they're going to have to be able to stop, people and they cannot give up these big. Plays that's the, killer you, know every you, KNOW i, WAS i was down In tennessee doing a live podcast AND i got a chance to spend time With Ryan callahan and all they and you Know brian, well and, actually you, KNOW i got to know him well and we've connected and he's just a terrific, guy as you. Know and all they talk about is exposed to plays on both sides of the, ball you. Know you know that that's the way coaches, talk and you know there's just too many exposive plays on. Defense you can't live like.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: GREG i love talking to. You my audience loves hearing from. YOU i took a lot of your time AND i really appreciate. IT i PROMISE i will not bother you again until some point during the. Season it's.
Speaker 2: FINE i love talking with. You we're just talking. Ball you, Know it's this is WHAT i. Do it's the off. Season It's. May i'm Sitting i'm watching. TAPE i, mean is WHAT i? Do you, Know it's just the nice thing for me right, now IS i don't have a, deadline So i'm just sitting if it takes me a little longer to watch, something OR i feel like taking a ten minute. Break it's not, like oh my, GOD i got to get this, done you know, so which is the WAY i feel during the, season either the.
Speaker 1: Way if you would like to read everything That greg wrote about this year's draft, prospects do a quick search For greg coll tape. Notebook you can purchase all one hundred and eighty six scouting reports for nine to ninety. Nine before getting to my next, guest here's a quick reminder that The Bengals booth podcast is brought to you by Pay, corps proud to be The bengals OFFICIAL hr software, provider By Alta fiber future Proof Fiber internet designed to elevate your, home, business and community to a new, level and By Kettering health the best care for the best. Fans Kettering health is the official healthcare provider of The. Bengals now time to move on to another edition of Five questions with A bengals rookie as we spend a few minutes with a player that you could run into At King's island. Someday time for Five questions with fourth round draft Pick Barrett carter out Of. Clemson question number, One when you were in high, school you are named the national defensive player of the. Year is there a big? Banquet do you get a great? Trophy what other rewards for being the national defensive player of the year in high?
Speaker 4: SCHOOL i got A i got a little. TROPHY i think that was. It but other than, THAT i MEAN i, think, Yeah i'm pretty sure that was. It just just a little.
Speaker 3: Trophy it's a little.
Speaker 1: One it's not Like heisman.
Speaker 4: Size it's Not heisman. Size it's probably probably definitely a little smaller than. That but, uh something That i'll keep for the rest of my. Life for.
Speaker 1: Sure it was quite an, honor so that part of it was. Great question number two For Barred. CARTER i read a scouting report before the draft that, said, quote he closes on the ball like a ravenous, predator which is a very nice. Compliment but my question regards the flip side of. That was something written or said before the draft that got under your.
Speaker 4: Skin, NO i, mean at the end of the, DAY i didn't REALLY i didn't read into any of. IT i, MEAN i like to stay inside out with, everything you, Know i'm not trying to please anybody, else but but but but myself and my teammates and my. Team you know that's in this. Organization so nothing THAT i didn't read it into any of. THAT i JUST i stayed inside out and just focus on WHAT i can.
Speaker 1: Control smart young. Man question number, three you wore the number zero At. Clemson The bengals have never had a number. Zero did you? Inquire, NO i did.
Speaker 4: Not Coach taylor texted me saying there was forty nine and fifty nine, available and you, KNOW i was just grateful for this opportunity to be, here SO i wasn't, gonna you, know try to press that. Anything SO i was, like let's go forty, nine And i'm Just i'm ready to make forty nine a new.
Speaker 1: Number you can wear forty. Nine, well question number. Four you're a linebacker, obviously but you had a rushing touchdown as a running back for at least one play At. Clemson what was the backstory behind getting the opportunity to line up as a running back and score A Tv.
Speaker 4: So after my junior, year WHEN i decided to come, BACK i Told Coach, sweeney, LIKE i need a rushing, Touchdown LIKE i DON'T i don't care which game it, is how far down the, season how far down the line it. Is i'm, LIKE i gotta get the end. Zone and then our offensive coordinator Coach, Riley i'm, LIKE i was showing my. Highlights ill show them LIKE i used to play running. Back i'm, like just give me one carry And i'm getting the end zone and you know if fortunately we made it. Happen it was senior day against The. Citadel it was actually like a fourth and two at the at the two yard, line SO i had to get. In but JUST i was super blessed to you be able to line up by running. Back we lived in my high school and little league days and you, know getting the end. Zone but you, know now time to put running back to bed and you, know focus fully on.
Speaker 1: LINEBACKER i watched the. Highlight there was a nice little. SHIMMY i, mean you didn't just run it straight. In there was a little shoulder.
Speaker 4: DEEK i had, to you, know let my, blockers you, know set up a little bit and you, know be patient a little. Bit but, yeah it was a it was a fun, day all.
Speaker 1: Right fifth and final question For Barreed. CARTER i read an old story that said you love roller. Coasters So King's island is a little bit north of. Here they've got The, beast The Diamond, Head banshee and. Others are you aware of the proximity Of King's island and do you anticipate going at some?
Speaker 4: Point i'm not aware of, it but you, KNOW i definitely, will you, know take a trip. There you, know my roller coaster love is you, know started SINCE i was a, kid and you, Know i'm gonna, continue you, know trying to trying to visit all these you, know fun amusement. Parks So i'm definitely gonna check Out King's island and you, know whatever big bad roller coasters they, Have i'm ready to attack, that just LIKE i had running backs In No. Linamas So i'm looking forward to riding that roller coaster and a definitely in the, offseason though not.
Speaker 2: In not in.
Speaker 1: Season all, Right bengals, Fans so when you get on The beast and the guy next to you looks like he might be a professional football, player it could Be Barry. Carter appreciate your. Time great to have you In, Cincinnati, no, sir thank you for having. Me, yeah let's go from five questions to five observations after watching The bengals practice and talking to players and coaches On. Tuesday topic number one is the battle at right, guard with Rookie Dylon Fairchild penn as the favorite to start at left. Guard the starter on the other side is expected to come after a training camp battle Between Cody, Ford Lucas, patrick and some other less likely. Candidates last, Week ford lined up with the. Starters this week it Was, patrick AND i spoke to the nine year veteran who has started For Green, Bay, chicago And New orleans after practice going into free, agency how much homework did you do on teams that had a need at?
Speaker 5: GART i was really up to my. AGENT i let them do the, business and pretty MUCH i handle playing ball so. Much, YEAH i don't played long enough THAT i just kind of let my take you the talk and let him talk to the.
Speaker 1: Teams this team throws the ball a. Lot according To Pro Football, focus you haven't given up a sack in? Forever is that your? Strength pass?
Speaker 5: Pro you, know it's if you believe in no, Statistics but, really ALL i care about is wins and losses and competing for. Championships so if that helps the, team, great that's What i'm asked to. Do let's do, it And i'll work on to the best of my. Ability if it's something, Else i'll work on.
Speaker 1: That so there's gonna be a royal. Rumble it looks like to determine the starter or right. Guard you're running with the ones today for what that's worth at this stage of the, Year but what is your approach you try to win that.
Speaker 5: JOB i think healthy competition is the best when you have it in the. ROOM i, mean you, know there's a couple of guys who've already been here a while and they've been nothing but open arms to. Me AND i can add any Value i've seen on other teams and try and do. It and, competitions you, know you can look at it in two different. WAYS i like to look at his best man. Wins let's push each other so that, whoever whoever that, is the team's better because of. It AND i think that's the, healthy in my, opinion a healthy.
Speaker 1: Mindset where are your impressions Of Scott's peter so? Far and is it significantly different from what you've experienced.
Speaker 5: In, yeah it's pretty, different but it's almost. Detailed i've ever been During OTA's which is. Good really get to hone some new, techniques new, crafts really set the, tone take the fight to d. Lineman so it's. Fun it's enjoyable to build a, toolbox especially as a.
Speaker 1: Veteran according To Pro Football, Focus patrick is not allowed a sack in eight hundred and sixty three pass blocking snaps over the last two. Seasons topic number two is his offensive line Mate Cordell. Volson as you may have, Read volson agreed to a pay cut recently after a season that he describes as. Disappointing after starting at left guard for the last three, Years volson can play that spot If Dylan fairchild struggles as a, rookie while also competing for the starting spot on the right. Side for what it's, Worth volson mostly played right tackle and right guard At North Dakota. State one reason why he agreed to the pay cut is his desire to work with new offensive line Coach Gott. Peters absolutely, ABSOLUTELY i think you, know he does a really.
Speaker 6: Good job of of teaching different different strikes and different techniques to combat different. Rushers you, know that, way you're not throwing the same pitch every, time you, Know AND i think that's gonna be beneficial to the whole. ROOM i Think scott allows us to, play LIKE i talked, about you, know play more to our skill. Set you, know he he instills a lot of confidence in. US i think that he he brings a good, Energy like we enjoy talking to, him we enjoy going into meetings with. Him SO i think that that's really. COOL i think. It you, know it definitely makes.
Speaker 1: Makes my day way more enjoyable for.
Speaker 6: Sure you, KNOW i really ENJOYS uh Coach Peter, scott so just having the opportunity to continue to learn from. HIM i think he brings a good energy and a lot of technique that fits my play style really. Well just look at his body of, work the things that he's done with the guys In cleveland and the mon of guys that played for him last year In New. England you, know they were kind of got the injury. Bugs so just seeing the way that he develops, guys you, know that was a big factor of wanting me, to you, know stay.
Speaker 1: Here including, Playoffs volsen has started fifty one of a possible fifty three games in his three years In. Cincinnati topic number three is. Alignment on the other side of the. Ball Chris. Jenkins jenkins missed the first two weeks of his rookie season after breaking his thumb at. Practice when he finally got on the, field he played with a giant club on one hand to protect his. Thumb now that he's got the use of both, hands will we see the player who is worthy of a second round draft pick last? Year here's d line Coach Jerry. Montgomery we played.
Speaker 3: With our hands in order to be productive in the. Run you got to use your. Hands in order to be productive as a, rusher you got to use your. Hands so to not have one of your, tools all, right it's. Tough, mean like for in the kids' toff he played through it and he did some good things with. It imagine if he had both of. THEM i, mean you know his jump, again IF i always say from year one to year two should be. BIG i, mean you've been in the league one, year all, right you get all the you know the processing out like, now you know how fast the game, is you know what's, expected you know how to prepare a little bit. Better you know how to, study you know how to take care of your. Body so all those things go into account of the year, one year, two and especially being able to have two.
Speaker 1: Hands jenkins was a second Team All american and a team captain For michigan's national championship squad two years. Ago topic number four is undrafted wide Receiver Jordan moore out Of. Duke it seems like every year there's an undrafted wide receiver that catches your eye at training, camp and a few have earned important roles like To irwin And Alex. Erikson moore is a guy to keep an eye on this. Year after playing quarterback as a, freshman he had three straight seasons with at least fifty five catches and finished His duke career with twenty one touchdown. Grabs here's more and wide receivers Coach Troy, walters All, Right, jordan what's it been like for you to be a rookie receiver in a room With jamar and t and Having Joe burrow as a.
Speaker 7: QUARTERBACK i, mean it's, great and just trying to learn as much AS i can and obviously have two of the best of the series in the leads to learn, from So i'm really just trying to sug up. Everything watch all their, routes watch how they you, know walk around the locker room how they conduct themselves and try to emulate that BECAUSE i, mean if they're the top two, RECEIVERS i, mean there's so MUCH i can learn from.
Speaker 1: Them tell us why you elected to sign With. CINCINNATI i think.
Speaker 7: Having The zoom meeting with Coach, WALTERS i, mean our values, aligned and when we went through the, offense it seemed like a offense that's friendly to receivers and they do a lot of different things to get guys. Open so that's something that intrigued.
Speaker 1: ME i, know you have quarterback in your, background including your first year A. Duke how quickly and easily did wide receiver come to?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 7: Mentally it came pretty, easy but you, know actually running routes and, actually you, know being out there at receiver was it was a lot different THAN i was that. Quarterback SO i, Mean i'm very grateful for my background at quarterback to help me in the mental aspect of the. Game and you, know the physical aspect just takes, work And i've been working as hard AS i.
Speaker 1: Could you obviously had some great seasons At. Duke were you surprised not to be?
Speaker 7: DRAFTED i mean they've always told me everybody's always told me it doesn't matter how you get, here as long as you get. Here AND i, mean the draft is. Over and as a, kid you always Dreamed bay getting drafted with but then it. Happened SO i just got to move on and keep.
Speaker 8: Working Number one great young. Man from the TIME i called him and zoomed him and we talked some, ball got to know. Him he's a a, PLUS a plus young man fits our, culture, competitor wants to be, great, Coachable So i'm very proud and excited to have him as one of our.
Speaker 1: Guys he was a quarterback his first year At. Duke how far along is he as a wide receiver a couple of years after.
Speaker 8: That he's done a great. Job you couldn't tell that he's you, know he's transitioned from quarterback to. Receiver you, know he's a good route, runner very technical in terms of his his, fundamentals his, techniques understands the. GAME i think the quarterback being a quarterback former quarterback helps him in terms of just understanding, coverages understanding what the defense is trying to, do understand what the quarterback is thinking on every. Play and SO i think that's helped him here pick up the offense and he's done a great.
Speaker 1: Job more was a team captain and was Named DUKE'S mvp last. Year the fifth and final topic Involves Jamar chase AND T. Higgins the weather conditions On tuesday were. Dreary it was rainy and kind of, chilly but after holding part of practice in THE i. E L indoor, facility The bengals moved outdoors to get some reps in under the type of conditions they will have to play in at some point during the year in any. Case after, practice a small group of fans waited in the rain in hopes of getting, autographs And jamar And t rewarded their patients by stopping and signing long term contract. Extensions haven't changed them once. Again here's wide receivers Coach Troy.
Speaker 8: Walters they're always, happy excited to have a smile in their. Face they love the, game they love to, practice so none of that has. Changed BUT i think probably internally they'll probably relieved that they got the got the deal. Done they can just go play football and there's nothing hanging over their heads and they've been. Awesome they understand the to who much is, given much is required much as, expected and so you, know we're not paying that type of money for them to come in and not not, produced not be big time, players top top five receivers in the. League and so they understand and they're attacking it and doing a good.
Speaker 1: Job that's going to do it for this episode of The Bengals Booth podcast brought to you by Pay, Core proud to be The Bengals OFFICIAL hr software, provider By Alta fiber future proof Fiber internet designed to elevate your, home business and community to a new, level and By Kettering health the best care for the best. Fans Kettering health is the official healthcare provider of The. Bengals if you haven't done so, already please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a, minute give it a rating or share a comment that helps More bengals fans find. Us I'm Dan hord and thanks for listening To The Bengals Booth. Podcast