Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host Coley Witt, and today we are out of the studio in New York and I got a nice little treat for us. We have special guests Justin Richberg in the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how do I say? I want to mess it up again? And animator animator.
Speaker 3: Animator, illustrator, writer loud mouth, I'll snitch.
Speaker 1: I love it, I love it all. I've been tracking Justin for some years. I was in his d MS almost immediately, like all the time are you following, commenting, trying to get an interview with you for a long time. I think everything you do is pretty impressive and amazing, Like literally looks like a gift from God.
Speaker 2: Himself gave it to you.
Speaker 1: So finally, what it took two years, two years a cool manager to make this happen. You came in from Philly, Thank you so much, and I was like, what you're gonna have us eating today?
Speaker 2: You chose basic disc go ahead, tell everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we want to have take these glasses off, thank you. Mm hmmm, so we want to have a cup of noodles.
Speaker 1: A couple of noodles. You guys were specific. You was like Nissan Nissan.
Speaker 3: Because listen, like you see the bonnet on. I came in like we're gonna keep it straight hood today, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, hood Megan, Okay, so let's pour some water in this uh, this Nissan. I I literally was going around the store like does it say that brand?
Speaker 4: Does?
Speaker 2: Is there a reason? A rhyme to the reason?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like okay, you know, it means a lot to me because like you know, I spend up like late nights like doing my work and things like that. You know, it's like one of the things like it's always like there. You know what I'm saying, And it means a lot. You know what I'm saying when you're coming up and like you don't really got much you.
Speaker 2: Know that water that would be good.
Speaker 1: So when you eat your noodles, do you like them super soggy or kind of like noodley like hard?
Speaker 5: I keep them like super soggy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Then after a while, I like to pour out the water and like not all of it, and then you know I like to dump some hot sauce in that john. You know what I'm saying, I go crazy with the hot sauce sometimes, Like.
Speaker 2: You didn't say that, you know the way you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's one of the things.
Speaker 1: Saying okay, okay, So take me back to what was going on in the well what air, because I know everyone still eats this right every once in a while.
Speaker 2: You probably have a late ninety eat this right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so take me back to the beginning era of you with the noodles, where it was a necessity.
Speaker 5: I will say.
Speaker 3: Where I start, I'd say like two thousand and fourteen, cause you know I previously talked about like dealing with like mental health issues, and when I started to get my like my mind back, you know, I ended up having like developed mental health issues, like straight out of high school, and it got kind of severely worse around like nineteen and then you know, like I was out of it, like real bad. Like you know when you see like those people walking around aimlessly in the streets. I was like one of those people. But you know, my mom so happened like to catch it early because mental illness runs in my dad's side of the family.
Speaker 1: When you say mental illness or can you are you comfortable saying like what kind.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, bipost cause friend I was you, I was diagnosed by post gets a friend. You know, my mom found me home one day and she ended up like three or two in me, like to help me out. Luckily, she really caught it early because the same thing happened with one of my cousins on my dad's side, but she was fourteen, but her mom didn't pay attention to it. And now like to this day, she's like fifty something years old, and you know she needs people to take care of her. That could easily have been me, and my mom didn't catch it early. You know, I like, I give all grace.
Speaker 5: To my mom.
Speaker 1: But schizophrenia, I thought that it comes later. No, for some reason, I thought it comes like at like around like early.
Speaker 5: I think what I think? What does?
Speaker 3: Like it comes from stress and not talking. You know what I'm saying because like my stepfather, he had died when I was ten years old, and you know, it's like I used to be like a bubbly purse, a little bubbly kid and things like that, and then you know it's like I just became like super mildtone and stopped caring about life.
Speaker 5: So it's like a ten year old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gave up on life at like ten year years old, but you know, he was my everything. And then like the way he passed, you know, and I didn't get a chance to see him like get buried. So just like all that time, and they know, it's like as you're not yourself no more, so you allow people to bully you and things like that. And you know, but through that whole time, I was drawing. That's all I cared about, you know what I'm saying, Like it got like really bad. Like as soon as like seventh grade came around, they put me like in the LD classes. So I was in there from like all learn disability. Yeah, so they put they put they put you, they put you in they put me in there. But the only thing I kept on doing was just drawing. That was a thing that was like keeping me like going. But you know, but I wasn't talking to nobody. My mom tried to get me talk to therapists and things like that, but it wasn't working. And then you know, all that like accumulated and then boom just blowed at that point and then.
Speaker 1: Uh, and what was everyone saying about your drawings at the time? Where they were they as great as they were.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like you know people say like, oh that's cool, Oh draw me. No, people wasn't like really like you know, thinking like too much about it because you know, everybody draws, because it's not like one of those things that people think it's like a career path you can take.
Speaker 5: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but some kids, like even I'll see, like I have a three year old, but I'll see like some kids like my daughter, I'm not trying to throw shade, but like I don't think she has like the little artist, but because she just scribbles all over things. But I see some kids where they color in the lines really early, and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shit, what's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't know. I just know like from my vibecane, you know, like I grew up in North Philly. I went to Gillespie and then Simon Gratz and then you know, it's like those schools are basically like I can saider them like kind of like prisons that you stay in from you know what I'm saying, from like seven to like three wing and get out.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I consider it as at least like for my interpretation of it when I was paying attention. But I just was just drawing, you know what I'm saying, and they know it's like you know, after you know, like the whole incident happened, because I couldn't tell you what I was doing from nineteen to twenty two. The only thing I remember was when I did come to. I woke up on one of those like mentally come trying to like put it in your head visually, because like just imagine nineteenth birthday and then like in the instant and you're blink and then you're on like windows like white buses with all the other mentally challenged people. Oh my god, and I'm looking around trying to figure out what's going on. And then you know, as you know, as I figured out, oh, this is my reality, you know. And then at this point too, I was three hundred pounds because of the medication that kept put me on with all the water weight, and you know that's when you know, drawing was still a thing I was still doing that was keeping me like bringing me slowly together as my mind came back.
Speaker 5: And also too, you know.
Speaker 3: I had like good friends like around the way that was always there for me, and that's honestly what brought me back. That's why I'm always like strong on like community and friends, because you know, it's like, if we had more like real people around us, we wouldn't need therapists and things like that. One thing you needed, just somebody to talk to, Like you know, like when you talk to some people, it's like, oh, I don't want to I need to keep my peace. I don't want to have you get to me and things like that, you know, like none to ask niggas like that. You know what I'm saying. It's like, if you have more I know what to talk about. That's so sad, but I do. Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying, Cause it's like those ain't like real like people. You know, they're like people at the moment. They won't be around forever anyway. But it's like, if people have more people like that, you know what I'm saying, It's like we wouldn't need therapists and things like that.
Speaker 5: Always give a salute to John j R.
Speaker 3: Alvin Daryl Reggie, you know, of course, my mom, you know what I'm saying, and you always give them salot and then you know as we come to this, you know, I was like eating you know what I'm saying, eating cup noodles a lot while I draw. You know, it's like it was just quick to make you know what I'm saying, while I just stay on my computer.
Speaker 5: And just draw.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and that's what kept That's what kept me going. That's why this is so like monumental to me, because I didn't, like necessary grow up in a bad household my mom, you know what I'm saying. She, you know, worked he stuff to death basically to like keep me comfortable.
Speaker 2: Did you have any other siblings or just.
Speaker 5: No, only child?
Speaker 3: I got a half brother and half sister, but I don't I don't really speak with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, are they older? Yeah, big age gap, age gap.
Speaker 1: Okay, so your mom's like a single mom after your dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my my, but then my uh my real father. He came into my life like around thirteen, but he didn't make things better. He made things worse. He just passed this year. You know, I love him, but you know it's like you know, alcohol and everything else. You know what I'm saying, Like, you love that more than you know you loved your own son. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: So did you ever tell him that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's only so much you can talk to a person, you know. I don't know, It's just it's just a sad thought one just like think about that. But yeah, even even back then, when I think about it now, I was like eating cup noodles then, like when he would like leave me in the apartment to go, Like I remember one one night we were near a supermarket and he had like a forty ounce and I was like probably twelve or thirteen, and you know, I didn't wanted to drink. So you know, it's like when he went into the supermarket, I grabbed a bottle and then put it out on the not I didn't throw it out by just like rolled it out of the car because you know, I didn't want to have it make a lot of noise. And then we came back to the apartment. He made me cup noodles, and then he couldn't find it, and then he left me in the apartment for hours on end, looking looking for his looking for his bottles.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, and during all this you're still drawing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you get out, let's be so what what age do you get out? Of the mental Uh, twenty two twenty two, okay, and what year is this?
Speaker 5: I think I think twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve, so between twenty twelve because I found out about you probably like on the cusp of the pandemic, right, yeah, which obviously you've been rolling. But when did you start seeing like an uptick in your.
Speaker 3: Art two twenty thirteen, two thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh you started posting it that?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I started. I started out. I started on Facebook because like there was a guy that discovered me on Facebook and then was Trizzy the Mouth. It was like one of my first managers. Like, you know, he's a real good guy. You taught me like how to you know, uh, real people in with the art. So just like its first time me saying this, but it's like all right, say it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: So it's like the way I do my art is like how a pimp reals in women. I'm so I'm being by being dead serious. I'm being dead serious. I'm being I'm being dead serious because this is the way I was. It's like you get get them, you get them comfortable, you know what I'm saying, and then like once you get them to a certain point, then you can start asking for favors and things like that. You know, like I'm like a manipulator. But you know, the only reason I gave that example because I was around people like that, And that's the best example I can give right right now off top of hip.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess if your father was also like in addiction, I'm pretty are manipulation, you know, Like.
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up in like North Philly hang out like a whole bunch of like different characters, you know what I'm saying. So just like it's just a whole people I don't hang out with now because like you know, those people only like last for a certain period of time, you know what I'm saying. You know, It's like I known people that got killed all types of all types of ship like that you saying. That's why it's like, you know, it's like you know, it's like it's a lot of those things like motivates to like, all right, I don't want to be around these people. I just want to just draw and you know, and that's when I started, like you know, posting things on Facebook. And then like I said, it's like I started learning like okay, Like okay, I understand Oh, like this makes people react like this, This makes people react like that. So you know, a lot is like trial and error, you know what I'm saying. Then while like you know, like understanding like oh, you need a team of people to help out, and you know, like he put that mindset in my heads, like you know, you need a team of people to do things, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And you know what kind of things was he talking about just on the management side, because he was trying to manage you or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes he was because like he was he wasn't manager for a period of time. But it's just like try on error, you know what I'm saying. That's really about it. Just try and error until you just figure things out, you know what I'm saying, because like I don't know, it's hard, it's hard to it's like really just trying to error to figure out what.
Speaker 5: People want, you know, get feedback.
Speaker 1: From people you're like paying attention to, like the numbers, the comments everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then that's when I started to develop like a business mind. So but you know the issue is with that when you like developing a business mind and then you're also creative and start to clash. Like after a while, you start to think too much about a lot of things, and then you know you also learn like who to trust and not to trust when you send things out to people. So like, well this around, like I think twenty fifteen, I think I was like really into like you know, asking people, hey, what you think, what you think? What you think, and then for.
Speaker 2: You before you post or yeah, before I post.
Speaker 3: But then I stopped doing that, like stop being so trusting in people because I started getting like a bad name about myself, like on the internet, because all right, boom right. So I was doing this drawing of there was a topic drawing. I like doing topic drawings or like real stuff. So you know, it's like it was like a simple thing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like you see like some parents like they brag about like yo, oh my kid can do this and that when they're baby, you know what I'm saying, but then like they're trying to growing up and just like just be like.
Speaker 5: Just a nobody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the drawing wasn't done and the person put me out there to.
Speaker 5: Be a colorist for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's why I just stopped like sharing things with people for something that's done, and then it got like real bad on Twitter and people will start this when you start like understanding like how people try to cancel people, Yeah, and it's like try to separate. Oh he puts light skinned women in this light and put dark skinned women in dislight.
Speaker 5: It was like it was real bad.
Speaker 3: It was like you know, normally on the internet like things like last like three days a week back, this lasts like for a whole month.
Speaker 5: It was real. It was real bad.
Speaker 2: And then how do you react when you see those negative comments? Do you do? You do you internalize them?
Speaker 3: Or when you first start dealing with that Because I'm a type of person things don't bother me. But it's like when it's constantly in your face over and over and over, it will start to get to you. And you know that is what and from what from something like that happened to me that inspired me, like to me my first character Kayla, Kayla.
Speaker 4: Kyla.
Speaker 2: Kyla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I got into that and I like that pivot there. I like that pivot. So you get into Kaylea. But now we're in twenty twenty four and you're just now are you just now releasing Kayla?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Now, No, I've been I've been putting I've been putting the character out since two thousand and nineteen.
Speaker 5: But you know, I was like slowly working on it. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm a kind of perfectionist in a way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I said, like the business mind, I want to know, okay, what works for this and that. You know what I'm saying, a lot of times you only got like the first impression. Yeah, a lot of times we don't get a lot of do overs. So like to go into like explain Kayla. You know, it's like it's made for like people that love manga and anime, so something like specific like she's meant for the showing and jump like demographic. And then I say, like the shownan jump demographic basically shown jump means like comics for teenage boys in Japanese basically, And you know, when I see you online, you know, everybody loves the moon docks and things like that, you know, and I was like the only thing, what's the last thing we had was the Boon docks. I'm like, all right, let me just make something like that. And my first showed Kayla to Charlemagne and what did he think he liked it? But you know, it's like it just I guess it just wasn't ready, so so, you know, and then after a while, like around the pandemic, I decided like, or I'll just start like making books, you know, making chapters. I felt nineteen chapters through the course of like a year or two. And when I felt the first chapter, NBC reached out to me. Complex the Complex website, uh, Netflix, this animation studio called Powerhouse that made he Man in Castlevania, And.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking when they're reaching out to you?
Speaker 3: It was it was, it was, it was amazing. But then like you start to realize, like you start understanding like this field, it's like people will reach out to you, but not like to immediately help you out there, just want to wait and see, you know. And that's like and then you know, like once you get into like things like that, you know, it's like.
Speaker 5: You questioned it at first. It's like it's my.
Speaker 3: Stuff not good, it's not good enough, Like what's it missing? It's like just people just waiting for something to happen, to reach to you. Were they even giving you direction though? When they're waiting, No, it's like I even talked to like one of the creators of the moon Docks. It was like that that was a that was a high for me other than like I mean, I mean, I mean, I had multiple highs. I did animated commercial Italian what was it? Italian commercial? He has a Titian amate commercial for McDonald's. I did the Breakfast Club art studio.
Speaker 1: Then backtrack, how did you end up first crossing past with Charlotte Magne.
Speaker 3: He was following me for a little bit and then I put out this drawing called Dice Game. And then once Dice Game came out, Charlomagne shared it, but he shared it in a sarcastic way. But you know, when you're reading sarcasm, you think somebody's really angry about it type shit, you know what I'm saying. And then it's up spreading around. And then Donald Glover in the reaching out to me and he ended up putting I mean it's people did, and then he ended up putting it on Atlanta. Yeah, the art working up on Atlanta, and then he asked me to like work on feel Like Summer Video and that was my first like job that like you know, started everything.
Speaker 1: And what was what was your like thought process, Like when you're getting this first gig, I was, how are you sitting?
Speaker 2: Where were you doing?
Speaker 3: What was that I was in? I was in Pittsburgh, PA, on the farm dating a mixed race girl, stressing, stressing the funk.
Speaker 2: Out over the girl.
Speaker 5: She was yelling at me and all that she had anger issues.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved it though, but that's all I always ended up running to mean girls.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're MPa.
Speaker 1: You get this call Pittsburg, Pittsburgh in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of nowhere, Yes, on a farm, on a farm.
Speaker 3: With a tornado warning going on, by the way, You.
Speaker 1: Get this call in the shade in the shed, okay, and what are you thinking? Are you thinking like I don't belong here, Like this is not where I'm meant to be when you get that call.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it's kind of weird to say.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't really get too excited about a lot of things because those prior things I told you about, So you know what I'm saying, Like I believe it wants to start. And then once he paid me, like my first half, I was like, oh shit, this is a thing.
Speaker 2: And this was like even when you got the contract before, you weren't.
Speaker 3: Like you know, people give you contracts and then like things don't start, you know. But yeah, I was super excited and then I didn't think about I didn't bring my computer or nothing because I was just.
Speaker 2: On, like, you're hilarious.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I was. I was on a bake. I was on a vacation.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I was on the baking.
Speaker 3: You were just visiting her, Yeah, I just I was just forcefully had had to go. I'll talk about that another time. But anyway, all right, so boom right the empery. Yeah, but anyway, I had to improvise, right, so boom right, I had to. I was saying, like, yo, what we gotta go to the store. I just got like a whole bunch of paper and just drew out all the characters minu right. It was like I think it was about like sixty nine like characters. I had to drew for the not just like one angle, a couple of angles too. That was like vicious crazy, yeah, all on all on paper. I think that was like when when that bio came out two thousand and eight, So yeah, two thousand eighteen eighteen. It was like really the last time I really drew on paper like that before I went like fully digital, Like yeah, it was like I knocked that drawn. I only had like two weeks to like finish everything in like sixty like all those drawings.
Speaker 2: Who was the first question you call? You get the call? Did you call your mom?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't think about it. I just went like into work Yeah, went to work mode.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm saying because like different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cause ragging going on? No, cause like you know this, this is a passion of minds. I didn't know that, Like you know, I end up getting discovered by a manager off of Facebook of all that is like I would never known that. Like people want paid me money to do these things, like it's a blessing. It's like this is myself.
Speaker 2: Was the check looking like if you don't mind.
Speaker 3: It was, I got paid eight thousand dollars. That was first, Like that was like my first big check. But then like the thing that came from it though, is like people think that you're rich off of doing just like one thing like that was the weird thing.
Speaker 2: And you had a manager then uh, why I mean you.
Speaker 5: Make eighteen This was privately. Yeah, it was right before.
Speaker 3: That was right before I met him, and uh, but the biggest thing I took away from that once I did, like meet meet him, like, I do multiple things.
Speaker 5: You know, I write. You know what I'm saying, Like, I literally, I literally do like everything.
Speaker 3: You're a great writer too, Yeah, thank you, and you know because he does a lot of things too. And uh, when I went backstage to talk to him about that, he just told me this is the biggest advice. I didn't believe him at the time, but now I understand. You just said, do it work for you, like in the moment, and then once it slows down, go on to the other things. I didn't understand that at first.
Speaker 2: It was like Don Glover, OK, yeah, okay, that's good advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I didn't believe him at first. I was like him, like, nah, like that, that can't be true. You can do everything, but no, you eventually have burnout. So so yeah, so you do the project. Did you end up getting any burnout?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Like, because I was like, I was on ten because after that, you know, that's when I met Charlotmagne and then I got to be on the Brilliant Idiots twice. That was that was a big thing twice, and I got like like one of the biggest moments on uh when I first went on there, because I just be saying, like there's anything out of my mouth for like a lot of times, especially like when you get like moments like that, it's like, oh, I'm probably not gonna have another chance. Let me just say some nuts ship just like just to get people talking, because it's one thing I know I do. I know I get people's attention. So I'm like, all right, let me just do that. I know, like people work type I'm saying. And then yeah, every and then after that, everything start to like pile on. Like I said, like I did like a lot of jobs. I did something for Tree songs like and make commercial trade song, did something for Bobby's murder, even even like till now, like doing something for a new balance the army, and.
Speaker 1: They're reaching out. I'm is your manager working the phones NonStop too.
Speaker 3: But of course but then also too, they just naturally reached out to me because I put out product that people you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And now right now I'm in.
Speaker 3: The point in my life where it's like I'm trying to package it because you know my end goals, I want my own movie studio. Okay, yeah, so that's what I really want.
Speaker 5: So it's like right now, it's a pivotal time.
Speaker 3: That's why I like my character Kla is so important because trying to show that I know how to make products that people want to buy. Like I said, I put out nineteen chapters like during the pandemic through that whole year, Like I said, all those people reached out to me in the beginning, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I did that first.
Speaker 3: So it's like once I start doing the animations, like people have like things so they can get hooked on, and then you know, her following start to go up because she has seventy thousand followers on Instagram almost ten thousand one TikTok and like a lot of stuff go viral.
Speaker 5: Like you know what I'm saying. I love it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like my whole thing is like I really want, like you know, black girls to be like represented in that field authentically. That's why I came in authentically with buying on authentically.
Speaker 2: Let's see if the is soft.
Speaker 3: There's another reason for that too, because like last month. It was like, basedly the worst month of my life honestly because uh, I started so I don't know the best way to put this. So I started developing heart problems.
Speaker 2: I seen that online, like a little bit of it.
Speaker 1: I was scrolling why this will affect it?
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: But it's my first time like touching it in like a couple of months, which is sad. Made me sad because so I ran to my ex recently. She wanted to meet up with me. Yeah, I was no, no, and you know, I was relucted. I was reluctant at first. It's like, why do you want to meet up with me? And like all right, and then we and then we're chilling by the closure, yeah, by the art museum and Philly type type time you I'm saying. She gave me a hug, right, and she was like, oh, like your heart is beating fast. You must miss me. I'm like, we're talking about.
Speaker 2: And then your stories are good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then the next day and then next day, you know, I started feeling like these hard ass heart I never noticed my heart beat before. It's like boom boom, like it's feeling beating out my chest. Yeah, and then you know, I said up, I ended up going to the doctor, and then he ended up telling me go to like the ear nose and throat doctor, and you know, I go to the you know, do the cat scans or whatever the heart layer on in the month type ship. And then you know, I go to ear nose and throw doctor. I've been hearing like a posting sound in my in my left ear. So I ended up finding out that I ended up losing like slight hearing loss in my left ear. You know, I hear the heart beat sound in my left ear. And then I went to the you know, after I next went to the throat doctors opened up my mouth. The nurse went like oh wow, and then immediately brung in the doctor and the other nurses and I had like a uh, I don't know I was called, but was like I think a pulp or something like that. It's like a little ball like being back in your mouth. And you know, he was being like really nonchalant about it. It was like kind of weird, and he's like, you know, we can cut it out if you want, but we don't.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, it's up to you. I was like just cut it out and then cut.
Speaker 3: It out and and then a couple of days later, That's why I made my posts. So I thought like my mouth was dry when I was waking up, but then end up going to the bathroom and to find out like my mouth was like.
Speaker 2: Full on black.
Speaker 3: That's how much blood was like coming out of my mouth.
Speaker 5: And then I got rushed to the er.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the wound had like bust open and from them cutting it out. No, this was a couple days after it was healing. I wasn't allowed to eat anything. So this whole so like this whole month just passed like like I couldn't eat solid food or nothing like that type. And then you know, it took them from like whether it was like six in the morning until three pm for them to stop the bleeding. But this whole time, you know, my mom was there with me. My whole right side was turning cold. The security guard at the hospital kept on trying to get me to sit down, kept on telling like, no, if I sit down, I'm not waking up. And that was right because when the nurses came into the drawing the sea me. So I sat down, my head was like like that type ship like kep going up, like because I lost a lot of blood. Jesus, yeah, I lost I lost a lot.
Speaker 2: So it's like your first real Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Like a first real scare.
Speaker 3: I mean think about you can say technically, because you know, the mental health stuff happened early on and then this next and then you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's like I went back up.
Speaker 3: You know, they finished, they fixed everything, you know what I'm saying, got the bleeding and stopping all that, and then you know, I ended up going back to you know, the doctor next week, told them about it and things like that, and it's like, oh, that's not supposed to happen. Like, no, ship, that's not supposed to fucking happen, dickad you know what I'm saying. But but yeah, and then he's gonna drop a bombshell on me. Oh yeah, so tests came back you don't got cancer, and like cancer, Like, how you gonna leave that away from somebody, you know what I'm saying, at least tell me about it.
Speaker 2: What did they say?
Speaker 3: It was basically from something like that. It's like that's how basically cancer would start, oh through mouth, like with that pulp in the back of your mouth.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I always tell everybody just go to the doctor's type time. You know what I'm saying, because you never know. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So is this your first official like meal from drinking slurpees or something?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no milkshakes, no, no no, because it's like it's still it's still a lot going on. Because then like after after that, went to the heart doctor and the final out, I got like heart pomplitation something, so it's like rapidly start beating type ship and then he heard like a clicking sound there. So I still got to do more testing and things like that and also find out, oh after.
Speaker 5: All that, oh you got high you got high cholesterol.
Speaker 3: Now after all that, so it's like the other thing that made me sad because it's like I really can't do what I want to do. So, like you know what I'm saying. So it's like it's like it's really frush straight.
Speaker 2: You'll fit right in with the vegetable eaters. Yeah, the no salts and sugar people.
Speaker 5: Don't know y'all do it?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't do it.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: I was when I found out that I can't you can't eat this. You can't drink that. I was crying. I was swinging like I got and take this no.
Speaker 1: More, no need Jesus, we need to have you around. So you better eat all the vegetables and the salads, y'all. I could tell your crew thorough. The manager, he's probably every time you look at a steak, he's probably he's a sad.
Speaker 2: Here's some oatmeal I pulled.
Speaker 5: I pulled stick out my back pocket and eat it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't know. So during this whole, like.
Speaker 1: This career, were there any dips, like real solid dips in between.
Speaker 3: I'm currently going through a dip right now.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like last year I made like one hundred grand through uh commission work. But then AI came around, and that's the big thing that you know, it's like messing up with AI too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: What AI doing to you?
Speaker 3: You know, people think that like you can do everything through AI, which isn't you know, because you know the way these companies do, they like make everything seem like it's really that way, really isn't you know what I'm saying. And now people starting to come back along and it's like all right, like these things really can't do. And then plus people want that authentic feeling even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are they going to AI like your level of creativity? Though, I mean, I guess it's I guess it's semi possible, but yeah, you would miss a lot of the authenticity.
Speaker 5: I mean, it can't. You know what I'm saying. It can't.
Speaker 3: You're always gonna need that human touch because don't get me wrong, it's like I like AI. I like AI too, but it's saying, but I only use it to like what it's supposed to be used for. It is like a background tool, not something to replace, like say, like if I'm writing a script or something like that, right, I'll uh have it cleaned up for me a script form for I show it to somebody. That's how That's how you're supposed to use it. You know what I'm saying. It's a lot of And then like, man, it's like, so you're saying.
Speaker 2: Your dip is coming from the AI.
Speaker 3: It was Now it's picking up. But the thing I was about to go on about AI, the thing that makes it so sad about AI, Like in the creative field, you don't know who's talented.
Speaker 5: Because people rely on it so much.
Speaker 3: So say that for example, right, like me, I can come over a concept or something and then draw it out right and show somebody like I'll show like a quick sketch like Okay, this's the example of what you should do, but do it in your way, interpret in your way. But because of AI, a lot of these people can't even do that. They're just literally like because what you can do with AI is like, okay, I'll take a road light sketch of something like it, say like, I'll like make a bullshit image of this room and then you know, put into one of the prompts, type in the prompt and then boom, it'll make it for you. Right, But when it comes to animation, you really can't do that, you know what I'm saying, SEC you do three D or something like that, right, It's like, if I'm asking you to do something that's really like detail oriented, you're not gonna be able to do it because A I don't allow those things like that because AI spew out random images so you so.
Speaker 1: It's never always it's never even perfect or AI it's not consistent either.
Speaker 3: Because like it's just taking from things on the why.
Speaker 1: Your business picking back up. They tried it and they realized it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not just them you're talking about when you're just trying to find the right people to fit your team. So because of that, it makes it harder to find the right people, especially like when you end up like getting a relationship with these people you like them that get in the final Wow, man, like you you're fraud you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So, like, if you're working with a company and they have their own team, you're working with them, you find out that maybe they're not no, no.
Speaker 3: No, it's like this okay, So like these companies will reach out to you and they know you got your own team of artists that work with you.
Speaker 2: Right, so you have your own team, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Got my own team like animators.
Speaker 3: But the issue is with that, it's like I don't know that they don't use AIS. So now I ask a question, do you rely on AI a lot?
Speaker 5: Because you do? I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't rock with you because you're not a creative and because that you'll end up making me look bad and I got to take over your work.
Speaker 1: But now, how do you wouldn't they just lie. Huh, wouldn't they just lie?
Speaker 5: What do you mean by lie?
Speaker 1: Like and just say that they they wouldn't they just lie and just be like Yeah, I don't use AI really just to get on your team.
Speaker 5: But you know, it's like I do like a vetting process, you know.
Speaker 3: I use my YouTube channel, like, hey, like help me out with some like projects online or something like that, some quick things, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And that's the way, like you're like test them on the spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But but even but even still, it's just like just the crib community just getting bad out here. When it comes to that, I'm just afraid, like years down the line, like people are not gonna be able to do nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't like to backtrack, but take me back to like your original inspiration that got you into drawing, because I know it helped you hope through things, But like where was that first initial seed?
Speaker 3: You like things like Naruto, dragon Ball, dragon Ball Z. You know, the generics of everybody. Everybody, Like you know what I'm saying, people some people like one piece, you know I'm saying. I watched a lot of cartoon cartoon network. I was a cartoon network kid. Yeah, just like all those things. But my style really comes from Dragon Ball from dragon Ball Z because like the way you draw the pupils, the ears. That's why I'm really like big on yeah like that. And then what a thing that taught me style was was bleach. You never heard of bleak? No, I don't expect you to know Bleach is? You know what bleach it is? Chris IF's smiling so hard?
Speaker 2: Are you laughing so hard?
Speaker 5: I can see the gap between his teeth.
Speaker 1: He's smiling so hard talking behind the camera. So what are the next projects you have coming out?
Speaker 3: Right now? You know it's right now? The real main thing is Kayla because that's my spider Man. Okay, yeah, so I'm putting my all into that. So it's like I'm working on a one it's called a one shot, so it's going to be sixty something pages.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Were putting out trailers for it and all that, treating like it's a real thing, you know what I'm saying. And then I plan on turn it into a short film eventually. But yeah, like I'm not going to be doing like no more like regular like videos of the moment type thing. I really want to take this stuff to another level. So I'm doing like treating like all my animations when I put them out.
Speaker 5: Like short films.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's like all my videos going to be filmed, gonna have that short film vibe. You know, I'm gonna be submitting them into film festivals.
Speaker 2: But so, how how long would a short film be?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 3: A short film can be any lanth It can be a minute to six minutes, ten minutes, it doesn't it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Are you going to charge your fans to watch it?
Speaker 3: No? No, I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: I don't believe in like things like that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Not in the same way, by the way, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just weird because it's like it's even hard to like even make them like a Patreon because it's like it's like i'd rather like sell you merch you know, once I convince you that that you'd like to product that much, you want to support me in that way firstus like doing something like that. So I'm back and forth with it. But yeah, like all next year, you know, it's going to be like just promoting Kayla just all just all around gotten too much crazy feedback. People like her a lot, and now it's like for me to put my.
Speaker 1: Stamp on it, and then how are you going to distribute it and all that?
Speaker 5: You know online?
Speaker 3: Probably do something like bookstore releases and just everything, because like I said, it's like I really you know, people really feeding for a new Boon Docks and it's not like a Boon Docks or anything like that. I'll break it down a little bit. So it's basically it's around h zodiac signs. Their powers around zodiac signs. Right, So say like I'm an Eries for instance, Right, so it's like my zodiac ability would be around flames and rage, anything doing with rage.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But we we we hard hitted straight to the point. I'm straight to a point right now, go to the bad.
Speaker 2: From you know what I'm saying your whole okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, but that's how it goes. You know, It's like I made it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like like I said, it's for that demographic of people that like things like juice to Kaisen. You don't know that is no.
Speaker 2: Stop at a bunch of things.
Speaker 3: I want to say whole things like I'm saying, like juice Kaisen, Uh, you know what I'm saying. People that love just ain'tthing dealing with that shown in genre, except you know, it's just a girl that has like a feisty attitude of a you sky what you say?
Speaker 5: What you you're a MESHI?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I don't know. Look I'm still a fan and I don't know these things.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you'll pop up, You'll pop up in the book.
Speaker 5: I'll draw you. I'll draw you.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 2: If you do that, I promise you, I would be so hyped, like little kid.
Speaker 5: You'll be one.
Speaker 3: You'll be one of the agents. Okay, I'll go in a little bit further with with it. Right, So it's like it's a secret agency called the Core. So think of like it's the Men in Black type world where it's like you gotts like deal with like monsters that people can't see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so and.
Speaker 3: You know how like the government be like people like compiracy theories. I can't yeah, where ITAs like they make things up, say like for example, in this world, right, a big, a big explosion goes off, right, but you know in this world is about like monsters you can't see. But you know, like the Core, the Men in Black type, they're you know, they're covering things up.
Speaker 5: So you seeing the news about like, oh, like.
Speaker 3: A pipe burst or something like that the cause this, So it's like really like the monsters. Yeah, yeah, so it's really it's really like that. And her thing is like collecting all like collecting all the orbs so she can like power up to go against yeah, orbs. I think they'll be nice key chains and plushies for people.
Speaker 2: What's your sign, Aquaris, I'll send you one, by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we get along so well.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that they are right there. What did you say anywhere?
Speaker 5: Angry?
Speaker 2: Angry?
Speaker 5: Yeah, to the point.
Speaker 2: I don't really know a lot of angry aries.
Speaker 5: You're talking to angry areas right now.
Speaker 2: I'm shi. When's your birthday? You know what.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the ones that are born with the March dates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I know women aries, that's kind of like angry all the time. Yeah, but I don't know men.
Speaker 2: You're the first.
Speaker 5: I could be bitchy. Where's my milk and cookies? Oh? Promise me making cookies.
Speaker 2: What's a day in the life of you right now?
Speaker 5: But day in life of me right now? You know? Playing bild games.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, how much time do you spend like drawing and all that all day?
Speaker 5: It can go from like ten to ten.
Speaker 2: And what is your mom say about all of this success?
Speaker 3: Sounds like, uh, she don't be believing nothing. I'll be saying, she'd be thinking, I'd be lyings like I don't tell you nothing. She didn't start believing nothing until.
Speaker 5: She saw what do mean.
Speaker 2: She'd be thinking you're lying at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, she don't.
Speaker 3: She don't think of lying no more until like I have a Breakfast Cluve interview two years ago. Then she started believing stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's so funny. What race are you?
Speaker 1: You? Just regular black regular regularmegular regular, black regular.
Speaker 3: They used to call me a poppy store general when I was little. Why Yeah, They say say I look Spanish.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, you look like you could be mixed with something.
Speaker 5: I saying, no, I am. I am black.
Speaker 2: Regular Smegula regular Smegula black. Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: What advice would you give to anyone that any young person or older person that's like pursuing that field, that genre of work.
Speaker 3: Be prepared And the main thing I see a lot of people do is like they quit their jobs way too early. Because I didn't quit my job until it made sense.
Speaker 2: Was what was your job?
Speaker 5: I worked in dietary?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It was in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Oh you were like cooking, like you know, like serving the food, cleaning.
Speaker 5: It was a nursing home.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, okay, And you worked that till what point?
Speaker 5: I worked there until two thousand and seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's right before yeah came into the picture. Was that right before your eight thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 3: That didn't come into like a year. They didn't come into like a year later. That's why I made That's why I made you quit? What made you say I could quit? Because because I made like twenty four thousand by myself doing what though?
Speaker 5: Just doing commission work?
Speaker 2: Okay? And how much were you making at the day job?
Speaker 5: Same amount?
Speaker 1: Okay, I would have done the same. I would have done the same, but I try to stack the money though.
Speaker 3: For a little bit before you quit, I was buying snapbacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, you look like a fashion guy like this this overall set?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is this is premium pit bull letter?
Speaker 2: Is it really? It's a really cute outfit.
Speaker 5: I feel this premium pit Bull letter. Right there, there you go.
Speaker 2: It feels like leather. Yeah, all right?
Speaker 1: Uh and then, uh, is there anything that we don't know about you that you love to share with us on this show?
Speaker 3: I think I basically said. I think I basically said everything. One thing I can just say is just like, be grateful every day you wake up, try to use try to maximize every day the most you can, and just spend time with friends and loved ones because you never know, and you don't want to be like, well what if this?
Speaker 4: What that?
Speaker 3: Do what you want to do, and you know you'll just be happier. That's really all I can say. That's why I can say about myself.
Speaker 1: And then circling back to the mental health stuff you said, bipolar schizophrenic, to my knowledge, doesn't schizophrenia like you can hear voices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like a lot of that stuff, man, I probably more likely when I think about it, it's like I probably never had it. A lot of it more likely just had something to do with stress. And you know what, anybody when comes to stress, it becomes a boiling point and just pops. You know what I'm saying, So to me to be honest is like it was probably just stress. But you know it's like people they gotta like diagnose you with something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I at the age of I wanna say it was thirty. I had a very stressful thing. I was working with Nick. I was doing a lot of stuff way above what I should have been doing at the time, just juggling a lot not a lot of balance. And I had like a mental like psychosis and I got diagnosed PTSD schizophrenic with bipolar. They were like, she's all bat shit, like she's done, and I was. I was definitely checked out. I thought my brain was never gonna My whole family thought my brain was gone. But I went to in La. They had like a like a mental museum, and I went like five years prior and they had talked about like all these things they do back in the day to like help people with mental health. They were like shocking them and doing all these things, and I remember they ended up putting me in a psych word and I remember, like it's crazy up in there by the way fucking nuts. I woke up and I was like, whoa, I'm tripping, Like I need to get to the root of like what the fuck happened to like find out where I'm at, and they the patients were like, yo, just be careful because these doctors can diagnose you and give you a drug cocktail.
Speaker 2: You can end up in here like forever.
Speaker 1: And they were like tipping me off to like fuck around and get the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: This will be your life.
Speaker 1: And I'm thankful to the few patients that kind of were like, you know, why are you looking at me like that thinking I'm crazy? No, no, this is true story, so this will happened, true story. I had a trump traumatic childhood. I remember my dad came in my day. My dad my uncle was like call my dad, like you better come down here, like it's a rat for her, you know.
Speaker 2: And anyways, I was I think I.
Speaker 1: Was experiencing PTSD, but I didn't know I was experiencing it for so long before the episode until like, you know, they talked to you about the symptoms. You're like, oh, you know, I don't want to say this in front of the doctors, but some of the shit is kind of on point. Anyways, I fought the doctors on like it prescribing me all the drugs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, my mom was like just take whatever. To get out of there. I'm like, nah, Cuz this is my brain.
Speaker 1: This is my best asset, Like like I think, like my brain is more important than my looks, like take anything, but just don't take my brain.
Speaker 2: And so I fought them.
Speaker 1: They put me like that, had to see a judge. They made me like eat three meals a day. I had to sleep in that place, which was freaking nuts, and I went in front of a judge, Like obviously I came back. My brain came back. I had to sleep. And what I did learn about the whole situation is like sleep is very important to this day, Like if I'm so stressed out, I will get sleeping pills, NyQuil whatever. I don't play about sleep because I think it played a huge role into what happened. But I did fight them. I didn't take the drugs, and then my dad was like thanking me later, like yo, the side effects of those drugs would have like probably impaired me for life. And all it was was like just a lot of sleep. I mean they sedated me for like a whole twenty four hours, and that's obviously what helped me kind of come out of it. But I fought them and I remember the judge being like, yeah, So I was like, look, I'm a fully functioning girl in the real world. I'm like, I run my own company, I live by myself, like I pay all my bills like you know. And then I was threatening to sue them because I was like, you know, this place is like people are like raping each other up in here. Like I was like, I will sue all of you guys. And my dad was like, she's back, just free her, you know. But you know, so I kind of know a little bit about it, you know. But that's why I was asking about the whole It's like, you know, that's why I just say.
Speaker 3: It's just like if more people had more genuine people around them, you know what I'm saying, Like, people will be better, you know what I'm saying, Like, I don't care how busy I am. If you call me, I'll you know, I won't be able to talk much, but I'll listen to you while I'm drawing. You don't just need people need a vent. But it's too many people like saying like oh I don't I don't want that type of energy, what type of what type of energy?
Speaker 5: If you're that type of person you.
Speaker 3: Know they're not you know, like I kind of like feel sadden for you, Like it's like you don't got empathy for other people. That's partly the reason why you know, our country is like so messed up where it's like it's not about community no more. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I do have that one Aries friend that is like that who she'll be like her energy and her peace and she protects it or whatever. And I do feel like I'm an empathizer, so I'm gonna be like, well, maybe people call her all the time and that's why she doesn't like hearing things. But she's the only girlfriend of mine and she is an aries and I think she has the same birthday as you, and she'd be like, if it's not this, this, and this, I cannot hear it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Like if I can have several of my friends hit me up one day, like all in one day and they have any issue, that's that's what we hear for as humans, you know what I'm saying. I look at myself as like a guardian angel, like a healing angel for a lot of people. You know what I'm saying, it's like people come to my life for a season or or for a long time. You know, I'm here to heal, you know what I'm saying. I'm here to like inspire, you know what I'm saying. That's why i want, like, you know the real reason why I'm going so hard. I want to show kids that you don't just have to be a rapper or or you know what I'm saying, some type of entertainer or do sports in order to like to make money at what you do. You know what I'm saying, you can do is do art. Like how many people that we know that's like it's like well known like in mainstream and art. That's my That's why I inspire to be like I aspired to, you know, be like a entertainer artist like a stan Lee. Okay, so stan Lee was working to the day he died.
Speaker 1: And just so you know, that was the number one reason why I wanted you on this show because I was like, we have all these successful people and it's like you have your celebrities, you have your influencers. I love interviewing entrepreneurs, but I was just like this season, I was like, I want different genres. I don't want to see the same genre over and over. I was like, I have to have you. I'm glad you took the time out your day to come out here. I appreciate you, and I'm still a fan, even though I don't know all the lango Christ texting during his interview, So don't text you in an interview.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Guys so much for tuning in. Thank you Justin for your time.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you too, man.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know, hopefully next time i'll see you in life, you won't have the bonnet.
Speaker 5: My locks will officially be combed out.
Speaker 1: It's a mess up here, Okay, all right, guys, thank y'all for tuning in. And oh, before we close out, where can all of our listeners keep up with.
Speaker 3: Justin Instagram Justin Underscore rich Berg, TikTok Underscore, Justin Richberg, Twitter ex Underscored Justin Richberg YouTube Justin Richbert.
Speaker 2: You could just google Justin.
Speaker 5: Just google Justin Richberg.
Speaker 3: If you don't know how spelled my name, just just just sannding it out and chat GBT and chat chet will tell you all about me.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't know that I'm gonna do that, all right, cool? Thanks you all, Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 6: Peace out.
Speaker 1: For more eating while Broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.