Speaker 1: Hey, fan Ritos, and welcome back to an all new episode of How Rude Tan Ritos.
Speaker 2: Today's guest is a real treat.
Speaker 1: You know him as Kimmi Gibbler's hot and hilarious on and off again husband, Fernando Hernandez Guerrero Fernandez Guerrero.
Speaker 2: We know him as JP, our.
Speaker 1: Wildly talented, big hearted friend with big dreams, and one of those dreams recently came true. Juan Pablo de Pace is here to talk about his stunning new film Before We Forget, a raw, beautiful, emotionally charged story about unrequited first love. This film is deeply personal for JP, drawn from his memories of a particularly meaningful time during his adolescence. It is a beautiful film that Jody and I had the privilege of watching a few weeks ago at the LA screening, and we are so proud of him. We can't wait to talk about filmmaking Fernando and Fuller House. So Fannertos, help us give a warm welcome to Mia Moor.
Speaker 2: Juan Pablo de Pache.
Speaker 3: Can you hear me? Okay, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I've been looking forward to this for so long. Yeah, yeah, it's just to get to talk to you and catch up and share your beautiful film with the world.
Speaker 4: It's oh, oh great, so great.
Speaker 5: We were we just like before you hopped on the zoom, we were just having like a like a ten minute love.
Speaker 4: Fest about it, about just how beautiful.
Speaker 5: It was and how proud we were, and like just how we're like, oh my god, it's gonna win a boards and is that like we just yeah, it was. We're just very proud of you. So we're excited to have you on to talk about it. And also because you are just an amazing part of the full Fuller family now, like you're like you're in Sorry, it's it's forever.
Speaker 2: Never let you go.
Speaker 5: You can never be the annoying family members that you're like, oh no then again, yeah no.
Speaker 1: You're off directing in other countries and we're just like, come back for a full house barbecue.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you. I mean, I don't know what to say. I'm speechless. I'm the one who's uh, just lucky and also I don't know, just just very very very honored to have I didn't even know what I was walking into and all of a sudden I was part of this. Yeah, this this really kind of I don't know, a very special family that that we we all thought, oh, you know this, this might be just one year and whatever, and then it just we didn't know five years of our lives, which is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so great.
Speaker 1: So great, Well we will, we'll get to fuller house. But let's let's go.
Speaker 2: Back and start with your origin story first.
Speaker 1: Because I don't know if I even know this what age you started acting. I know you're from Argentina's so did you move to the US to become an actor or tell us everything about how you started in this business.
Speaker 5: Really feel like, if I remember right, you went from like Argentina sort of through Europe around and then kind of to the States.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well okay, so it all it's really confusing.
Speaker 4: We do confusing well on this show. So it's fine, go for it. Yeah, it's our brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Obviously I was born in Argentina to an Italian dad Argentinian mom, and around twelve thirteen, I said to my mom, I really want to study in Europe and my mom said, absolutely, no way, You're going to study in Europe when you're twenty. You know, and life have, you know, things happen strange ways. One day I'm going to school and I see this little paper that says, would you like to finish high school in Italy in English for two years? And so I, without telling my parents, I actually applied to this thing. And it was basically a scholarship to finish school in Italy in this bizarre place called the United World College in a remote town. And I do this test, I get in and then my and then I tell my parents, oh, I got a scholarship to finish high school in Italy. And they were both like in shock, but also well, you can't say no. I mean it was anssive opportunity. This is called the United World College, And yeah, I kind of went there from Argentina to Italy to finish high school in this beautiful place that we can talk about later because this part of the film yeah yeah, oh yeah, but it was kind of like a Hogwarts nation, you know, students from world two hundred students and you're literally finishing a high school. It's nothing more than that, but it's pretty spectacular because obviously you leave everything behind at like fifteen years old, sixteen, you can't you know, when you have a crisis, you don't have mom to hug you you know you really, but also these kids become your family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, travels. I mean I always tell my kids.
Speaker 5: I've sent them on school trips to Japan and to Europe, and I'm like, travel, go find out that you can do stuff by yourself. I mean they're not by themselves, but still, like, you know, it's so I just it's so important. Yeah, God, I wish I could have finished high school in Italy.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, it's amazing, pretty lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were they all the same age around this, fifteen and sixteen? Because it's called college, which to me means.
Speaker 5: A college in Europe though, is like high school, isn't it sort it's just a university is more like what they call our version of college.
Speaker 3: It should be called high school. But yeah, it's it's it's really that. It's that age where everyone just before finishing. I don't know how in America.
Speaker 4: It is the last two year junior senior year probably would.
Speaker 3: Be yeah exactly. So that's what it is. And that place kind of gave me the wings really because I before going there, I wasn't really a performer. Before going there, I thought I was going to be a Disney animator. That was my thing.
Speaker 5: Like, I really, Yeah, my mom's an artist, right, yea, your mom's a really talented artist artist.
Speaker 3: And I grew up with that. I grew up with a lady who could draw and sculpt and things and and I kind of loved all that, and I loved being by myself. But somehow going to the college opened me up, and all of a sudden, I went from being like the shy kid at school to the one who would be performing and doing dances and doing you know, theater stuff. And so yeah, it was there that I kind of discovered, oh, I really like being on stage. So yeah, that's really how how in my mind it was really planted because I don't know why, but I went up to the headmaster's office and I said, I would I think college should have its first music ever music, And he goes, okay, with one condition, you put it together, you directed, and I don't want to know about it. Just go and here's some money to produce. And all of a sudden, I had this power to put on a show. I had never done that in my life, and so we did. So I learned by doing by.
Speaker 5: What a gift though from that head master of confidence in a young person to go, you know what, you can do this? You go do it, figure it out. You're gonna make it. You guys, do it Like that's so improdive. It was incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really, Like to this day, I go, what on earth you know was he thinking giving this kid? I mean, surely I don't know why, but anyway, it just happened that way, and it sort of gave me this responsibility of going, Okay, so what do I do? And so I had to learn to cast, I had to learn to direct, I had to learn to act because I was also playing Danny. This was Grease. It was gre Yes, I'm like directing it playing Danny's rouco like dealing with the details and the costumes and sonya. You could say that that college really gave me the beginning of then what I think now is my life, which is a bit of a jack of all trades. And I like a lovely pressure and I can sing, I can dense, and can draw and direct.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, you're kind of like a renaissance man.
Speaker 5: And I always like, I just have such admiration for all and you speak like seven languages.
Speaker 3: You're just just three.
Speaker 5: Well only the only direction it feels like seven to me, I speak one. No, I just it's I just love you. But yeah, like, what a what a beautiful gift. And I'm so glad that you saw that little piece of paper and decided to take a chance, like life changing moments that we never know about.
Speaker 1: How brave of you to do this at such a young age. And then you found yourself over there, like what a great story. This is a great origin story. I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you went, didn't you after?
Speaker 3: What did you do after.
Speaker 4: You finished there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So so that was really it was not an art school, it was high school. Yeah. Well, once discover oh I like this too much, and the whole Disney dream just kind of died in my head. I was like, no, no, no, I want to do this thing. I I thought to myself, Okay, where where do I go? Where is the center of this? Where's the center of theater? And it was either New York, which seemed very far, or London. Yeah, and then it has the West End and Shakespeare and all I.
Speaker 4: Was going to say, like theater, theater, definitely London.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I just it was nearing the end of this high school thing and I started auditioning, and I actually did one trip to London and I auditioned for three acting schools and I got a scholarship into one, and I was so excited to go. So I go back to Argentina to finish, like all my stuff, buy mom and dad, go to London with all my family savings, and I get a job at a place it's sort of like a home for people with learning difficulties during the evening so during the day I can do the course. So I had it all planned and it's like two weeks before the start of course, and I go to the office and I sit down next to the woman and she's like, okay, well, this is the end of your paperwork. How would you like to make your payment? And I go for what the course? No, no, no, I have a scholarship. You gave me a scholarship. And she starts looking in the computer and there's no scholarship. Oh no, And she's like, I'm sorry, I don't know who told you have a scholarship. And I've traveled all this way, nobody, like my only friends, other people in the home for You're like, oh my god, oh no, And she's like, no, I must have been a mistake. I don't know what happened, and I didn't even I don't know if I haven't had a letter, I had a phone call. I don't at that point what did I have?
Speaker 4: Was it an email?
Speaker 3: Was it.
Speaker 4: So long ago?
Speaker 3: And so she's like, well, it's gonna be thirty thousand pounds here if you want, we can keep your space for when you're able to pay it. But you don't have a scholarship. So yeah, so that kind of like I was like this and like that, and I called every single acting school to see for scholarships or whatever. No one had anything. I was dejected. I was going to go back to Argentina. How was all in my mom to say, I think I need a I need a trip back, and but I didn't. Walking down the street in London and I see this big, massive billboard that says cuts the music. I go, well, I like musicals, and I feel like crap. And so I go to the box office and I said, do you have a do you have a ticket? Yes? And I only had fifty pounds in my pocket because that's the only thing that the home gave me to eat. Okay, that's it. And so the lady goes, yeah, it's fifty pounds front row. Oh okay, And I'm like fine, I'm just so depressed that I'm like what, Like, what does it matter anyway? Who cares say that one of those lost?
Speaker 5: It's kind of when you get to that point, like it's a very freeing point in a weird.
Speaker 4: Way where you're like, listen, sure, who cares? You know what?
Speaker 3: I don't read my last fifty pounds? Yeah, so take it, take it. I sit in the front row. The lights go down, and then all of these cats starting.
Speaker 4: About right right as as cats is about.
Speaker 3: I can't tell I can't believe I'm telling you this story. But anyways, all the cats start dancing and like they're amazing, and you know, I don't know if you remember, but the original version of cats basically they come up to you and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they definitely did. Was they There was a lot of more audience. Well I think it's still I haven't seen it live, but yeah, I remember very much.
Speaker 3: Like that was the thing, right, they came to people and they started dancing to people. Anyway, I thought I was the only person in the audience, like I had all these cats like dancing with I was. I was like aroused. I was honest, I was like all of the things. And so the show finishes and I'm just in seven Heaven and I go and I check where these cats come from, Like where what they study?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where are these cats? Yeah? Where did you get these cats? And so the course that I had the scholarship was acting. But then I realized this is more of a dance musical kind of thing. And so I call and they all come from London Studio Center. And so I call London Studio Center and they say, yeah, yeah, we're we're looking for boys, and tomorrow we have auditions. And so I go to tomorrow to the auditions and I had never taken a dance class in my life, and I had to do ballet, jazz, tap, contemporary. I call it ithn And at the end of the day they call me to the office and they go, well, we want to take a chance on you because you have that desperation going on.
Speaker 1: That we like.
Speaker 4: Or skill.
Speaker 3: I'm skill and so yeah, they did give me a scholarship, and I stayed in London as a dancer, wanting to be a cat.
Speaker 4: Right, So when people ask you how your career started.
Speaker 5: You go, well, I really just wanted to be a cat and then a dancing cat. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, and that's really the beginning of everything because after that there's three years of ballet contemporary and jazz and singing and acting and so it was the triple threat school.
Speaker 4: You could, Yeah, you kind of found where you were supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but from accidents, you know, like, well.
Speaker 5: That's always how it is, right, You're like everything you sort of fall into something.
Speaker 4: You go, oh, oh, you know came together.
Speaker 5: What a beautiful story though, Like that's such an adventure and such a testament to your like driven personality and your sense of like I'm just going to do it. Like I love that about You're like, I'm just going to take the chance and do it. I'm going to sign up for this school. I'm gonna ask if I can get into this school having never danced in my life. Like just that that takes balls, like it takes it takes a lot of courage and uh and I just admire that in you because how did all of us have that.
Speaker 3: It's coming to trouble too?
Speaker 4: Well look, yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's not important.
Speaker 4: What's important.
Speaker 5: It's important right, right, the results we don't talk about, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Those were the other things.
Speaker 1: So what prompted you to move to the United States?
Speaker 3: When did that happen? Well, that happened many many years later, because London for me was the twenty All my twenties happened in London. So all all my being poor, living with rats, doing seven jobs at the same time, all of that happened in London. And it got to a point where it was really tiring for me to feel like I wasn't advancing in in in acting because obviously, after after the school I started first one musical was Chicago, and that was like my one Okay, now I want to I want to try being the guy in the front, right, So then that's when the acting kind of really caught on. And but yeah, it was like seven years after the Color seven years of struggle and struggle and struggle and always playing like the waiter, you know, and the small, small, small, small parts, and so I was kind of getting tired, even though I did do my Moa Mia in the period with a big, big, big movie, but again I was just you know, a tiny, tiny part, and I just wanted to do what it was like to to kind of have lines, right, I want to speak right.
Speaker 4: You're like, I don't want to be a man in coffee shop number two.
Speaker 3: That's exactly. So this chance came to to to go to Spain and audition for another big musical project, which was Saturday Night Fever, and that was to play the lead to play Tony ONNY. Two really important moments in my love had to do with things that Travolta what God famous for. Oh yeah, I agree, Oh yeah, I got that. And then I moved to Spain and I became you know this guy and he was the most amazing university to have that amount of pressure every single night on my shoulders because if I had an off day, no old fellow, I had to like at this level every night. So that was a huge lesson.
Speaker 4: That's incredible. Yeah, theater actors, I'm always.
Speaker 3: Like, how do you do it?
Speaker 4: Like how every night?
Speaker 5: I mean it's such a like you know, you were asking Ben Platt that. I was like, how do you just lay it on the floor every night?
Speaker 4: It's so hard?
Speaker 3: But you don't have of a life outside of the show. You you sleep, you.
Speaker 5: Eat, you wake up, you go back to work. Yeah, so you love it. It's amazing, and it's.
Speaker 3: It was really, it was amazing. It was amazing because it just gave me all kinds of good stuff, like the joy of dancing and singing and acting every single night and entertaining people. And but also yeah, that that kind of responsibility, which I loved. Shed a responsible. So so yeah, after four years in Spain, I did little things and I thought, you know what, I'm in my thirties. I always always always wanted to go to La and try the Hollywood thing. Always since I was five. When I was five, I used to like stay up all night watching the Oscars with my grandma. I look at tinsel Town and you know, I looked at it, you girls like.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, the outer image of Hollywood.
Speaker 3: The outer image of Hollywood, which is very very enticing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you get to and you're like, we was, Oh, it's.
Speaker 3: Just a it's just a set.
Speaker 5: It's just set, and there's still a grind, Yeah, a set.
Speaker 3: And fallen dreams.
Speaker 5: Well those are whatever you get trip on, those are everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, yeah, that was it. I came here. I mean, I'm going to spare you how but I had a manager and she basically just just sent my my, my CV to every single casting agent and and it was too lucky. I was just too lucky because because I arrived on a Monday and on the Saturday, I was already cast in Dallas the show Dallas. Wow. So it's so lucky to start in Hollywood that way. But I could say, you know what I struggled for, like to say, you were lucky when you got here.
Speaker 4: But it's not like it just fell in.
Speaker 5: Your lap, like you you put in the work and the dudes it was time.
Speaker 4: It was just your time. You earned it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so anyway, that's how, that's how. And really I met you. You were my third job in the States.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my gosh, that's wild.
Speaker 1: What what was your first thought when you got the call to audition for Fuller House?
Speaker 4: Did you know about Full House?
Speaker 1: Had you ever seen it?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: We were like, what is this sitcom? Right?
Speaker 4: What am I doing here? Gibbler?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have to be honest, I wasn't that familiar with I knew the show. But third World country, we in Argentina did not get Full House. Oh really got others. We got like friends, We got the Nanny didn't get full House. So even though I knew about it because you sort of know from I wasn't familiar, which was a wonderful thing for me to not know. When I went into that audition, I had like it was kind of like Black State. And do you remember, do you remember the Pilot season days when everyone was right.
Speaker 5: When you've several, like a couple months of your life you spent just driving all over LA going to auditions and getting callbacks and hoping that this would be the season.
Speaker 3: Well that's that's what happened. Like after Dallas, I played Jesus Christ, which was pretty incredible, and that was a whole thing in itself, and so I was like, I'm a serious I'm going to do serious work yep. And then and then rived all right, And it was the most awful Pilot season ever because I went from from playing like the most beautiful human god you know, in the history, I was just getting rejection and rejection and able to to kind of access. It was a time and I was, you know, it was weird for me. I was like what am I doing? And so I did like forty castings that wow, that's a lot. And the last one, Uh, it's would you audition for the sitcom Revival? And I was kind of I was, I was, I was angry. I was like, what's me? But are you funny? She says my manager. I don't know if I'm funny. Well, I told them you were really funny, So you go and so yeah, I go in and and this, and and I see tons of guys exactly looking like me, and everyone's so funny because I'm outside listening to everyone laugh. Oh.
Speaker 4: That was the worst part of auditioning, though.
Speaker 5: Would be in the hallway and you could hear through the door and you're like, oh, that was a good choice, But now I can't make that choice, like I exactly, I.
Speaker 2: Really like them with your mind is just.
Speaker 3: It does because yeah, yeah, And then you know, you talk to casting directors and they're like, well, we do that to make the actor feel better, like because from where I was sitting, I thought the guys were hilarious, like they would laugh so hard and then the guy go was it? And they not only laugh like hell, but the guy leaves, They shut the door in my face, they replay his tape, they laugh again, and they go, oh my god, he's amazed. Oh, I'm just thinking.
Speaker 4: That's oh God, You're like, I'll go home now.
Speaker 3: Thanks guy, casting number forty five. Oh but you know, it's like that choice. It's like the fifty pounds in the pocket. I went, I either give up right now because this guy got it, or I I am a clown and I had just become like an absolute tit of myself. Yeah, and I did. I just went in there and I was just so yeah, yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 4: That was it. That's how they were like, that is exactly full House.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember doing a screen test with you and Sony, like they had already cast Sony as our daughter Ramona, and so yeah, Jeff told me like, yeah, like he's great and he's perfect. But the but Warner Brothers or Netflix, one of the two, they were nervous, like is he funny because he's this dramatic, serious actor, right, So like Jesus Christ to full of House. Yeah, it's so they put us all in that little theater room where we were doing our screen test, and it was it was just magic from the very.
Speaker 3: Beginning, very beginning. Immediately, it was it was as soon as I met you. I of course I didn't have the job, but it felt like it was a done thing. So it was just so loving and sweet. And there's so many nerves when you're testing for anything like that, and it feels very daunting because you're in this room, this tiny theater, with cameras everywhere and some suits in the dark.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, it's intimidating.
Speaker 4: It's for me, and I had already had the job, and I'm nervous. Maybe I'm gonna get fired.
Speaker 3: I don't know, so I was, but I don't even remember what we did.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a scene that it was like one of those made up scenes, like it didn't ever make it to the show.
Speaker 2: It was just some Jeff test.
Speaker 1: Scene, So I don't remember what it was about either. But yeah, it was always you.
Speaker 3: I knew it. I could feel it.
Speaker 2: You can feel it in the room like I could feel it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it's him.
Speaker 5: You guys have the best chemistry. Like it was just it was so great. It was so instant and you guys and Sony. First of all, I'm pretty sure she actually might be your child because she looks like she could totally be your guys's kid, like wild totally. But like you guys had to such I just wanted. I was like, I want more of that. I wanted to watch all of you guys, like the Gibblers were the Gibbler, Fernande's head good, Fernandez, Gredos were just amazing. I love them. So, yeah, you guys really had it right off the bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not a bragger, but it's true, like we we had just popping chemistry, and Teddy from Netflix was always was obsessed with our chemistry.
Speaker 4: You guys so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have to say though, it was such a unique and interesting microcosm that happens when like entering into yours. This is your world, like this what's your world from day one, from when you were kids, And so I have to say, as an experience to step into this thing where it is not theater, it is not film, it's this thing in between, it's kind of both, kind of both. You were playing to an audience really, but at the same time, I don't know, that's just some magical thing that I had never experienced before. And I don't even know if all sitcoms are like that. I think it was just this one. I felt that the moment we did that first episode and DJ opens the door and goes Fernandez and I was crabbing my plants. I was so nervous because I saw, you know, I knew that people get fired in these things and whatever. And You're like, oh, this is my first moment, and if I screwed up, I probably you know. And I just remember how the moment that or opened and I just had to say, DJ, that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know right off the bat that you two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, immediately something happened. Everyone erupted in laughter. They didn't know who I was, and all of a sudden, it was like as if Juan Pablo the actor stepped into this bizarre, like parallel universe and I just knew who Fernando was. I knew who you guys were, Like, I don't know what happened. It wasn't research, it wasn't it was literally just stepping into this kind of weird, cumbersome, strange, funny world. Because really full and fuller house. It's kind of like a fantasy, isn't it. It's like, sure.
Speaker 5: In San Francisco, other than the Tanners, they get every job and all of the attention. It's incredible, really, Yeah, they are a very special family in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but you, I mean, your girls helped me so much and feeling it's so important to feel, like you said at the beginning of the podcast, like family, because you are You're just there pretty much all day, every day. So you could not imagine what it would be like to be in that situation and with like bad people any sense, right.
Speaker 5: I have fortunately never had that experience on SID I've never had. I mean there's people that have been better or you know, worse, but like never super problematic. And I just couldn't imagine working. I mean, you hear about it. These shows were like the two leads hated each other and then they've got to be making out. I'm like I could Oh god, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 6: Were the icky and especially when you have to be funny and made people laugh, right, yeah, arguing because of a joke because like, I don't like like it would it would be so strange.
Speaker 3: So we had we had to make each other laugh. And that's how things actually got better and better because because if if Andrea laughed inside and if you laughed inside, then I knew that it would work and vice versa. Yeah. Yeah, so it's a very joyful. It was a very joyful five years, right. I loved how.
Speaker 1: Our relationship developed, I mean our fictional relationship.
Speaker 2: I've loved you for you know, since the day I met you.
Speaker 1: But like for Kimmy and Fernando, it started off a little dicey because the way Jeff wrote the pilot was that Fernando committed adultery.
Speaker 4: You know, you cheated.
Speaker 1: Fernando cheated on and the fans were so upset about that they did not want Kimmy to take him back because of this how Jeff wrote the pilot. And I feel like that that changed because once the writers saw our chemistry and just how we had this love hate we you know, like we could argue, we could make out like we did.
Speaker 2: We did it all and it all worked.
Speaker 1: And so I think that's why they were like, I think that was a misstep to make Fernando an adulterer, but they course corrected along the way, but a lot of fans couldn't let go of that.
Speaker 2: They were mad at Fernando.
Speaker 5: Well, it was kind of Fernando was just kind of the you know, the smooth, the talking race car driving, haircutting stylist, you know, talker.
Speaker 4: I think I get that people were very protect of their protect characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well because I always say you're the original Phoebe. So so when this came, when when this character in twenty twenty was it twenty sixteen that we did it right? I think everyone just appreciated can be so much a reason she was this lovable, lovable oddball, And so you're right, I think, yeah, people got really protected. But also hadn't Fernando done one wrong thing, then this kind of fiery thing wouldn't wouldn't have been there, So.
Speaker 5: I yeah, exactly, it was a yeah, that was it needed that undertone of like slight anger.
Speaker 4: But also like I love you, but I hate you. Yeah, laid attention.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That set us up for on again, off again, getting married, getting engaged, getting breaking up, like all of the back and forth, which was so funny you did and you were spectacular. I mean they asked so much of you. Oh my god, it's an actor.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of us.
Speaker 5: There was well, every was some sort of like what wild thing are we doing this week? It's a musical number, We've got a stunt, there's a wild costume music.
Speaker 3: God knows what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they but especially you being I know, because you were such a serious actor. You were a SESPI and like so serious about your craft, and here they are putting you in like a pink silk nightie, you know, with your buns sticking out, and I'm just like, poor.
Speaker 4: Che how did we get here?
Speaker 3: Leopard print? Yes, yes, they've they've they blurred it in the show at huse. Oh my god. So it was like, after all those years of seriousness, it was the exact antidote for loving, like loving my profession again, because you know, when you struggle so much, because I sure I had great, great things here and there. But but what people don't understand is that life of actors is actually quite tough. I mean, I think right now, like everyone's getting a taste of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone's Is there any job? Anybody want to do some art around here?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Yeah? And so you sort of have to train yourself not to get feel personal about rejection and the node in the days that you have to wait tables at DA DA day and sometimes you know, a small one liner feels like an amazing win, which it is. So when you're able to have something where you're like, oh, I'm getting paid for this and I get to play alas so so so lucky. And then of course when you find you know, people like like you two. I mean I just I just remember we got to the place where we would I would just literally look at you, Jody. We didn't have a word and we knew exactly what was happening.
Speaker 2: Mind readers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah it was Yeah. I would just look at you and me like, no word, no, no, we.
Speaker 4: Just knew each other that well.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, yeah, that's so funny, so.
Speaker 3: Great that, I mean, those are the best kind of moments.
Speaker 5: We got to, like you said, we got to play on that show, and I.
Speaker 4: Think we were all so just game for whatever, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It was like and they knew that, so they were like, let's see what we can do.
Speaker 5: But we were all just like, Okay, I'll throw myself into this like and go for it.
Speaker 4: And it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to your point of of like going from something serious to this, it was exactly exactly feeling like, Okay, you come in with these tools and you are this kind of person and then the writers are using what you have. The moment Jeff realized that I could sing, then he started putting making me sing all the time. And then yeah, and he did that, and then everything that Andrea and I were like it was basically showcasing our best bits for sure. Of course we played along with it and and we I don't know, it is kind of freaky how much chemistry you and I have in this weird type of you know, relationship. But but you do you feel like you feel like think someone is making your suit every week. You know, it's like it's like made for you. You know, this is okay. I know that they can do this and this and this and and and then they build on that.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, it's a wonderful it's a wonderful genre. I think. Is they the writers get to know you and isn't you They get to give you more of that thing that they see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's very different than than a film where usually the writer isn't really even on set sometimes you know, a lot of times it's they write it and then hand it.
Speaker 5: Off to you know, directors whoever. But it Yeah, sitcoms, especially if you're doing them for more than one season, like it does you get to know each other so well that they're like, oh this, I saw her do this, or I heard this happened, or I wouldn't like, let's throw that in. And it's such a like personalized experience more so than any other type of show I think.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything like it. Yeah, because a play has already been written, a movie's already been written. Usually a show is quite you know that.
Speaker 5: A single cam show is like, you know, it's you're not just playing around, you know, it's not theater in that way, like you can make edits and changes, but it's not, Yeah, it's it.
Speaker 4: They're not.
Speaker 5: It's you are being the character. They're not worrying about the character being you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So, because there's a like a thermometer of laughs when something's funny and thing's not, then that's what kind of makes makes the writers and the creators kind of go, oh, let's go that way because that was funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, lean into that.
Speaker 5: And there's nothing better than being able to. I mean, I love performing in front of a live audience. It's so much fun. It's mildly terrifying every time you do it. Every time you're like, I don't I don't remember any of my lines.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you walk up for intro and then you're like, oh no, these people came to see a show and I don't remember any of it.
Speaker 4: Where can I yeah, exactly, where can I have my script? But it's like it is, it's just such a fun experience to get to do that sort of hybrid theater TV thing every week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks to Lucy and Ricky.
Speaker 5: I mean, first of all, I was gonna bring up the Lucy and Ricky moment too.
Speaker 3: Because.
Speaker 5: Chef's kiss absolutely mind blowingly perfect. I mean uh no.
Speaker 4: No, no, Like we were backstage and everyone was like, oh my god, they're brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's them.
Speaker 5: It's Ricky like it.
Speaker 3: When I saw Henry addressed like that, I'm like, oh, oh, she looks like.
Speaker 5: She oh no, she yes, yeah those are and yeah the big eyes and the square active face and yeah, you have a like she had like that face that just like kind of like rubbery almost face.
Speaker 4: You know that would like make the most ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Expression and you can do that and it's brilliantly.
Speaker 1: We joked that we were gonna dress in those costumes. And walk down what Hollywood Boulevard like, ask for to do.
Speaker 3: Over pictures a blot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could have done now, you know, but it's it's rough.
Speaker 4: Out there you're doing now. I'm just saying, just get those costumes back, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's it again, your bongos? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh god?
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, I was gonna ask, do you have a favorite Kimmian Fernando moment or scene? I mean maybe it's this one, the Lucy and Ricky one, but do you have any other favorite scenes?
Speaker 3: I have so many, Like the does have too many? I have too many many.
Speaker 1: I love when you proposed to me with the falcon, Oh my bird's falcon.
Speaker 3: That was not the same time. Did you officiate, Judy.
Speaker 1: No, Jody ended up taking over for you because you Fernando was too emotional.
Speaker 5: That's right, and said so I said, that was the episode you and I kissed.
Speaker 4: Yes, I ended up killing it was.
Speaker 5: I had to step in for Fernando because you were falling apart.
Speaker 4: So I step in. I'm like, great, fine, I'll do it, and so.
Speaker 5: Then I have to like finish the proposal and then yeah, and then you just grabbed me and kiss me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's for all three of us.
Speaker 1: You were you were singing and caressing me, and now there's gifts of that out and so oh gosh, yes, and people would tease Michael, my real life boyfriend. They would send him gifts of give me Fernando making out or yes, serenading me.
Speaker 3: God, yes, so funny. Yeah, I was not welcome. Funny.
Speaker 4: Oh god, that was Michael loved you.
Speaker 2: It was just a funny. It was just a funny because we did have such great chemistry. And that's all people think about Michael's like, don't.
Speaker 5: There's gifts of you, damn it, send them to everyone, you know what I mean, Like, that's just yeah, you got to send it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean yeah.
Speaker 3: There's so many moments I don't know. Yeah, I guess, I guess. Uh, Like like the that Lucy and Rickie was massive because I find I feel oh oh no, no, wait wait wait wait wait the dance competition, the dance competition. Yeah. The first one, episode three with with uh ah uh a singer. Okay, Oh, Macy Gray, Masy Gray.
Speaker 5: I have to pause for Oh Holly is stuck in the corner again, her poor dog.
Speaker 4: Oh Holly, Holly is eighteen and a half years old.
Speaker 3: Wow, Hollie is blind.
Speaker 5: Deaf and requires an I V every day, so she sometimes will get stuck.
Speaker 4: In a corner because.
Speaker 5: She does how to get yeah, so sometimes Andrea has to go rescue her.
Speaker 4: I don't know, this sounds different. Was it was Holly?
Speaker 1: Oh, she never had the I'm so sorry he was crying in the corner again, I'm so sorry about that.
Speaker 2: It was Bruno Bruno from Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 4: Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 3: Before Bruno was with Macy. Gray was Gray.
Speaker 4: It was with Macy and and and val and Max.
Speaker 5: And yes, run into valet the gym every once in a while, you really, yeah, I do. But yeah that oh my god, that show the dance competition, And this is when you and I had like the thing because.
Speaker 3: You were angry girl was coming and then right.
Speaker 5: Right you turned somebody else to the spot and the yeah.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, super friend.
Speaker 1: We were we were enemies at that point, and you were trying to woo me with your your sexy dancing and I just was trying to resist and trying to resist, but then I just fell for it and was like, oh so bad.
Speaker 3: We had that beautiful dance you and I together, which was lovely. You remember you were all about the dipic and what.
Speaker 2: Oh I love Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: It was like a dream come true thing.
Speaker 2: It was a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was like you dipped me.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was rat.
Speaker 4: In the lift.
Speaker 2: We had to do it.
Speaker 3: Oh No, that was what I was.
Speaker 1: That's right, it was it was me and can't. I mean Canda started dancing right and I didn't with vowel.
Speaker 4: That's right. Those I hate those lifts.
Speaker 3: They're terrifying, tons of tons of scenes switching you uh and me and Ramona. I found like those were fun too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she talk about a star. She is such a star. I love her so much.
Speaker 4: I just went to lunch with her like two weeks ago and Sony Yeah.
Speaker 1: To JP, I ditched you guys on that one for you. You just saw her a couple of weeks ago too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's so she's so put together. I mean she was already put together, like yeah, she.
Speaker 4: Was like more mature than any of us for sure.
Speaker 3: That way. But but yeah, I know she always she looks like she's a woman, right, I know.
Speaker 5: I know she comes to my comedy shows and she's like having a cocktail and I'm like, yeah, no, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh so proud of her. She's really really she's a gem and I love her.
Speaker 4: Now, speaking of Pride, we need to get to your movie.
Speaker 1: Before we forget. Let's get to before we forget. Let's forget to before we forget. Yeah, oh JB.
Speaker 4: This movie was so good, like here talking about it, really really, I sometimes I've told so many people.
Speaker 5: Cause you never know what to expect when you're like going, you know what I mean, You're like, it's an independent film, like let's see what happens, and you know, and I had no doubt that you were going to be amazing. But the entire just everyone, every the casting you did an amazing.
Speaker 4: Job, like a who was blown away. Well, thank you fan Ritos for joining us for part one of this incredible interview with JP. So make sure you tune in to part two this Friday, uh.
Speaker 5: Because we have even more incredible conversations coming up with him.
Speaker 4: So thank you guys for listening.
Speaker 5: If you want to find us on Instagram, you can find us at how Rude podcast, or you can email us at how rud Tanaritos at gmail dot com. Check out the podcast like and subscribe wherever you're listening to it. Check out our merch store howarudemerch dot com and then we will see you guys next time. But remember, everybody, the world is small, but the house is full of cats, sets, sets.
Speaker 2: Cats, dancing cat and singing cats.
Speaker 5: You know what, at least they at least they they're not the weird CGI cats from the movie.
Speaker 4: I'll take a person dressed as a cat all day long.
Speaker 2: The stage show is one thousand better