Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State?
Speaker 2: Is that? Whoo whoom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Saliburbal boys and Girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. I am joined as always if I'm a good friend, my colleague, my co host of many years, a gentleman, a fine gentleman by the name of Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good and wanted to take this opportunity first of all to thank everybody out there for all of their support. Unfortunately, I am not going to be participating in this episode, okay, I am going to be training for our live show on January fourteenth, a Hill Country Chicken in New York City. Tickets available basically now, if you're listening to this, when is this show going up?
Speaker 2: The show's going up on Wednesday. We're recording on a Tuesday. So this feels like a situation where we need to record an account for two possibilities, one of which is it was a raging success.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry if you didn't get tickets.
Speaker 2: A huge success. We're sold out. Sorry, maybe next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The second is plenty of tickets still available, any of great seats still available or running out real quick, so jump on it. Uh so whatever, just addit to that. Also saving my voice for our live shows, video and audio for the National Championship in Tampa. Yeah right, So I'm thinking about my future. So today it's just going to be you and Bryce Love. Bryce Love. It's just gonna be you. And what's the backup plan? Maybe Darius Geis is going to be a part of it. Dais guys joining us on the skypeline. Sure, yeah, so I do. I do appreciate it, but I have to look out for my future. We should get the breaking news. Yes we had brackets.
Speaker 2: Boo boom. The topic at hand here if you couldn't figure it out from Dan's cute little intro there, Christian McCaffrey, Leo Fournette, now shaq Linnwood I saw. Who knows by the time this show goes up if there will be any other names added to the list. But these kids are going to skip their bowl games to focus on the NFL. Yes, as you might have guessed, there is much conjecture out there in the sports media realm about what this means and how we should feel about these kids foregoing the game to focus on their pro future. Dan, do you have a sense here? Do you have a do you have a hot take?
Speaker 1: No? And it's it's one of those weird situations that we've come to sort of see with everybody that has to weigh in on every story that yeah, right. The reactions seem to be immediately understanding and supportive, but with an undertone of like in anybody that thinks otherwise is an idiot, which is a very strange sort of go between when you think about when you think about the story at hand, which is just guys that play running back don't want to play in TV exhibition games, and if their teammates are fine with it, if their coaches are fine with it, if their parents are fine with it, if everybody's supportive in their life other than studio analyst John Doe. I think I'm cool with it. I think I'm good with it. It's hard for me to get work. If it were to Shaun Watson doing it, I'd be like, man, that's a little bit off. He got his team to the college bable playoff and too the brink of a national championship game. He should be playing for his team and finish the season. But Sun Bowl, I I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question, Dan, Yeah, Tom Herman just left Houston before their bowl game to take the Texas job.
Speaker 1: Yes, what was the reaction to that?
Speaker 2: What a great hire from It was such a great move for Tom Herman for Texas.
Speaker 1: It just makes sense. Mm hmmm hmmm.
Speaker 2: When the shoes on the other foot now and it's the unpaid athlete, right, all of a sudden, it's it's a referendum on the bowl system, some sort of political statement in some cases. Yeah, many of the people arguing against this were never good enough to be faced with the decision to go pro early, right, And I just I believe in life that not everything's black and white. Sometimes a fresh dose of perspective can change your opinion. By the way, changing your opinion on something isn't a weakness. That can be healthy too. It's not all like black and white here, and it doesn't need to mean something more than Hey, I'm just I'm a little worried about getting hurt, and I really want to go pro and make a living at this full time.
Speaker 1: And I saw a lot of a lot of people referencing Jalen Smith from last year. Yeah, the all everything linebacker for Notre Dame who was a surefire top tennis pick and who stumbled into the second round, second round, Cowboys, second round. Yes, he took out an insurance policy so did make some money back after he got hurt against Ohio State in the festival, and he came out and said, you know, if I could do it all over again, I would play. And I saw I don't know if it was Kirk Herbstreet, who I like a lot. They were using that as a sort of referendum of saying, well, my opinion is correct. Because now that Jalen Smith would do it all over again even with an injury, then clearly that's the correct opinion. Here's here's how I come down. Just what you said, Ty, It's okay for different people to have different opinions and do what they feel is best for them. That's that's cool. I'm disappointed I don't get to see Christian McCaffrey play again, but he's touched the ball seven hundred and fifty times in two years. Feel like that's more than enough.
Speaker 2: And guess what tonight we're going to talk about what that means in the context of our confidence pool.
Speaker 1: Ooh.
Speaker 2: I think it's got some ramifications. So it was already a tough game to pick. Maybe this makes it a little easier.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We'll see, we'll see what we get there.
Speaker 2: But the point is, Hey, Tom Herman, great move, great move for him. I'm so happy for him. Houston players they were happy for him. Coach Herman, you don't sound happy, ty, No, it's kind of goofy, kind of goofy when the shoes in the other foot. In other news, Jimbo Fisher reupted through twenty twenty four. If math serves me, that's like what eight.
Speaker 1: Years ish sounds right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If he leaves early, according to Bud Elliott, it's not a great deal for Florida State. If he doesn't leave early, then it's kind of a steal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Either way, I think a good move for Florida State. Jimbo Fisher is a good coach. He's taken them to great heights in the early part of his coaching tenure, and we do hope for Florida State that they achieve continued success, so good for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many active FBS coaches have won national championships? Like five something like that. Yeah, it's a very good coach. He recruits well, seems to be seems to feel at home and to not fully take overtures seriously to go elsewhere. We saw perhaps some mutual interests here with LSU that never really went anywhere. He seemed to ask for the world, So he's receiving the world in Tallahassee. Hope it works out for everybody.
Speaker 2: Also, the very first coaching interview we did on the show Jimbo Fisher.
Speaker 1: That is that true? That is true? The very first one. I know Al Golden when he was at Temple was very early.
Speaker 2: But Jimbo Fisher was the very first interview before he had coached a game, before he had coached a game as a head coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who is the first interview we've ever done? Period?
Speaker 2: It was either Andy Gray or Jimmy Trena. I know it had to have been somebody from MESSI have be someone from MESSI that was our only connection back then. Well, we could have interviewed Stuart Andy, we could have that's true.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm going to use this as a jumping off tease, Ty, I think sometime this coming off season, this spring summer or something like that. Our pals at the Starters, we've referenced them formerly Basketball Jones. They did a magnificent show this past January or February outlining in detail their lives and the history of the Starter slash Basketball Jones. Oh, that was a great show. Look for it. It was, Yeah, it was January February. Look for it. It's a great It's like an hour and a half. Listen. It's it parallels our story in such crazy ways. I don't know if it'll be this year, maybe next year. This will be our God, we started the show in August of two thousand and eight. This is going to be our tenth season.
Speaker 2: So in twenty seventeen it'll be our tenth college football season.
Speaker 1: Okay, so twenty seventeen will be our tenth college football season, so our ninth off season or whatever it is. So we will either do it this year for a nine year anniversary, or who knows.
Speaker 2: We could do it in celebration of our tenth season. Yeah, preemptively, I think that'd be fun. We got a long offseason, dog to talk about something.
Speaker 1: Can't stress enough. We are here once a week all year long, twice a week during the season, so don't don't alter those podcasts listening plans because it gets weird in June. It really does. It gets weird, but it gets fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, the other news, the only news unless there's something I missed that was glaring. Tulsa beat Central Mission in the Miami Beach Bowl by a score of fifty five to ten. Hopefully folks took our advice and went on Tulsa.
Speaker 1: By the way, what do you got?
Speaker 2: It looks like a lot of people did take our advice and they used this newfound East Coast Elliott strategicy.
Speaker 1: I have not informed Elliot yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's in our pool, but a lot of folks are doing exactly as we advised in front loading their points. Our group is now number six overall in the entire ESPN ecosystem. The gentleman who's first in our pool is only participating in our pool. But the way ESPN does it, you can enter your entry in a couple others. I think we've got the first place guy or gal in the Rosillo and Canal pool. We've got someone who's doing really well on the Todd Shay Pool, Like, we've got the finest of the fine here competing in the solid putable kindness. It's like fine, It's like the Champions League here is what we got going on, and you know, you go and play in the other suboptimal leagues, but we've got our Champions League going on here, and it seems like it's going pretty well so far. People have been having a lot of fun with it. So hopefully it continues and our picks keep winning. But so far, so good.
Speaker 1: Premature piculation, I hope, so yeah, I hope it keeps going. And yeah, Dane Evans had a really nice day for Tulsa. I had them with I think twenty seven confidence points because always anti Chippewak, Cooper Rush barely got by the bar Mitzvah threshold quarterback rating of thirteen point seven and.
Speaker 2: The bar Mitzvah threshold. The bar mitzva threshold is that a thing or did you just make that up?
Speaker 1: I have that in my head and I just assume everybody knows all the dumb statistical things that I invent in my head. But yes, the bar Mitzvah threshold is if you can have a rating or a QBR above thirteen. You're bad, but you're not embarrassing. So you just made that up now right on the fly. No, this I probably made up week seven looking at you, but you didn't use it until now. Now. I didn't use it until now. It reminded me because the QBR was exactly at thirteen point seven or so. He got just about he just had his bar mitzvah with his terrible performance.
Speaker 2: I am going to upon the suggestion of a loyal overballer named Mike, who I know is listening to the show forever and is a talented writer. He suggested that on the next iteration of soliverbal dot com, which I'm in the process of just cobbling together piecemeal here and I'll get it out at some point in twenty seventeen, his suggestion was to put some sort of glossary of terms, oh my god on the website, which could be a lengthy process, but I have started it.
Speaker 1: Ty, we are so stupid about so many things.
Speaker 2: We are so stupid about so many things. But we have a lot of inside baseball terminology, and you know, this could be this could be danalytics right.
Speaker 1: Here, like your version of analytics. Do you know how many pages I have in my Google document that is called analytics I have? I have so many pages in my document that Google has informed me that I've reached like the two hundred thousand cell limit. Okay, so I've had to create a d analytics part due. So I have there's like sixty seven pages.
Speaker 2: Why have you not allowed me like access to this so I can turn lose some scripting on it?
Speaker 1: Okay, That's what I'm gonna do eventually, because I'm all I'm doing is copy pasting your scripting, and we should well let you go crazy.
Speaker 2: We should find a time when maybe you're free and I'm free, and we can we can.
Speaker 1: You want to have a Google You want to have a Google document collabo.
Speaker 2: This is what the cool kids do on our Friday night. You're about to be married. This is what married people.
Speaker 1: Do Google documents. That's right. Yeah, we can broadcast that too. People can watch.
Speaker 2: All right, we got to pay some bills. Now, we got to pick some games here. Yeah, what do you do Dan when you want to snack on some Then you're asking what do I do when I want to gobble down sweets? Eating as much as an elephant eats.
Speaker 1: Gosh. I guess I would count on certain companies to get me some healthy, hardy snacks. I mean, you could go the Nature boxer.
Speaker 2: A lot of people out there, they don't got that kind of self control, true, they don't got that kind of self control to even think about, hey, what's healthy. They can't resist the temptation, you know, let's eat some cookies, let's eat some gingerbread. I don't know it's the holiday season, eat the junk food because it's there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: With Nature Box, you start snacking healthy. It tastes good, so you don't even have to worry about this is good for me or what's in this? It just tastes good, which I think is the primary ingredient in a successful snack food. They make snacks that taste great. They are better for you. They're created with high quality stuff, free of artificial coloring, flavors, sweeteners, the whole nine yards. You can feel great about what you are snacking on. Dan right now, Why don't you tell the folks what you like, because I know you're a a regular Nature Box snacker.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't remember the names of everything, but they have some seracha cashews that are quite good. I can't have them too much because the solid fiance is definitely allergic. They were some like apple caramel popcorn clusters. Yeah, I thought were very very good. They have beer cheese pretzel bites of some kinds. I thought those were very good.
Speaker 2: Mini Coco Belgian waffles boom oh, yeah those are I've only got the regular Belgians. With the Mini Coco Belgian Waffles DWN they're great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, So you got a whole host of stuff here and you can order as much as you want, as often as you want, no minimum purchase required. You can cancel anytime. All you got to do is go to naturebox dot com check out their entire snack catalog. They got over a hundred of them to choose from. They're constantly adding something new, so literally you pick what you want, they'll deliver it right to your door. Also, if you want something new, if you're thinking, oh wow, these are my only options, never fear. They add something new every month. Their recipes are inspired by real customer feedback. You can try everything on their menu. If you don't like it, they can replace it for free. That's the way nature box rolls right now you can save even more. They are offering soliverbol fans fifty percent off their first order. Fifty that's person sale, that first order. I do love a good Nature Box snack. Naturebox dot com slash solid is the URL fifty percent off your first order nature box dot com slash solid.
Speaker 1: Do it up? Do it all right?
Speaker 2: We got picks til.
Speaker 1: The week, Dan.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you the last time I was feeling this energetic after a full day of work and without any caffeine all day. Have you been drinking more coffee lately?
Speaker 1: I have? Yeah. Ah, you're succumbing to the mistick. I'm not, though.
Speaker 2: I just drink it because I get bored and because it's warm in the morning.
Speaker 1: Keeps your regular time Belk ball, Yeah, what do you got?
Speaker 2: What do you get in Charlotte Bank of America Stadium. It's on Thursday, December twenty ninth now as we travel ahead in time at five thirty pm Eastern Time on ESPN Virginia Tech at nine and four A seven yes, seven point favorite over seven and five. Arkansas Dan, otherwise known as Arkansas Belk, I am told after many years of doing this show, come on Ty is a department store for Southern gentlemen.
Speaker 1: It is. I think it's for not just gentlemen, for ladies as well.
Speaker 2: So I would think if you could get your gift sheet out that this should be an outstanding gift situation. No, not very clear, but I think decent shopping trip to Belk department store, fossil watch. It doesn't indicate how much it's for, but it's I've been to a Belk, I think in Charlotte's and totally fine. Does it compare to like a Macy's, a JC Penny and nort likeke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like a Macy's type. Yeah. See, I think if you're.
Speaker 2: Going to do a shopping trip, that's an okay place to do it because you got a lot of variety to pick from.
Speaker 1: You have variety if you need a suit jacket, if you need some pants, you need some jeans, you need a polo shirt of some kinds. It's such a business casual. I think you'll be good to go at Belk.
Speaker 2: So how do you feel about this game?
Speaker 1: Mixed? Yeah? Mixed? So lit is what we know about Virginia Tech at this point. New coach and Justin he had he did a great job. I think he exceeded expectations yere one, especially with the first Yer quarterback and draw to Evans. They were a good passing team, kind of an average running team, which all things considered, from what they brought back in the run game, that's it was pretty good. Iss af Ford and Cam Phillips were one of a few really good ACC receiver tandems. So all in all, Virginia Tech had the type of season where they beat decent teams, lost to disappointing teams and in disappointing fast but they won their division. They made it to the a SEC Championship game, and that was largely because of Bud Foster and that blue collar lunch pail defense. Sure that was largely. I mean, Woody Baron and Tremaine Edwards were very good on the line for them, and it was they have the best pass defense in the ACC. I think it's it's not unfair to say that given what they're able to do against some of the better teams in the conference. They were very good against the pass, and that actually is an interesting matchup against Arkansas, who offensively it's kind of only passing because it's definitely not defense. That got Arkansas here, or maybe it sort of did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Virginia Tech seems to be the more talented and more together team. Arkansas has arguably the worst Power five defense in the land. So I like Virginia Tech here by double digits. I have him thirty seven to twenty Hokies. Austin Allen is alright, had his moments. Something I noticed in looking at some quarterback stats. He was tied for the lead in interceptions among SEC quarterbacks and was the top three quarterback in the SEC at the same time.
Speaker 2: Correct, there's that, correct, Dan. You talk a lot about the analytics I do. I do the esteemed analytics. If we could for a second, can we do a deep dive into the tiometrics.
Speaker 1: Tiometrics not statistics.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, okay, the tiometrics. Would you like a trivia question about about Jerrod Evans in this game?
Speaker 1: I could not wait more.
Speaker 2: What does Gerrod Evans have in common with Jake Browning, Brad Kaya, and Eric Dungeye from Syracuse all good quarterbacks, but also Kyle schrmer C J. Bethard, and Ryan Burns your company's computer guy from Stanford. Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know. Is a bad third quarter, quarterback or something. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: All of them through exactly seven interceptions this season. Oh okay, it's a fun little tidbit for you, completely meaningless. I feel like Tech's going to finish strong. Justin Fuente, first year head coach, damn near beat Clemson in the CEC title game. No chance in hell is he mailing this one in. And on the flip side you get Arkansas. They dropped their final game to Missouri. Defensively a mess all year. I think there's a chance Tech runs Arkansas off the field. Yeah, I really do. I think they finished strong. I think Justin Fuente is going to approach every single solitary game like he's trying to build the next great machine.
Speaker 1: Are you worried that Virginia Tech almost exclusively loses to teams that are clearly worse than the Hokies.
Speaker 2: I'm not because I feel like that game we saw against Clemson was like a sign of things to come. What I liked about them in that game is they were down. It looked the entire game as if they were going to lose, and they still continue to fight. And I feel like that fight's going to continue now into a Bowl game. I feel like Fluente's got something to prove.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, Arkansas doesn't force a ton of turnovers.
Speaker 2: They don't force a ton of turnovers. They're for the most part, pretty one dimensional on offense. It just seems to me like there's a lot working in tech fase here. So I think a big game from grod Evans. I think if they want to run the ball, they can, certainly they can. I think Tech wins thirty five to twenty one, twenty three points for me.
Speaker 1: Virginia Tech, according to the d Analytics, not the Taiometrics, the sixth best team in terms of preventing excuse me, chunk plays. That defense keeps things in front of them.
Speaker 2: Chunk plays huh ten plus yards chunk plays.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, on a per play level. Who are you going with? E I'm going with the Hokies thirty seven to twenty all right, we agree?
Speaker 2: We were Valero, Alamobile, Dan San Antonio. It's in the Alamo Dome.
Speaker 1: The Alamo Dome. Fun, you'ver been there. I've never been to San Antonio, And on my search for the best tacos in the world, that seems dumb, because I should go to major Texas and minor Texas cities to continue my search. So, no, I've never been to the Almo Dome.
Speaker 2: I've heard wonderful things about the city of San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Okay for the Alamobile, the Alamo itself is quite small.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should skip the title game next year, just go go to the Alamo, just go Amable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I could do that.
Speaker 2: Another game on Thursday, December twenty ninth, this one at nine pm on ESPN. We've got Colorado at ten and three a charmed season. They are a three and one half point favorite over Oklahoma State. Okie State finished nine and three. I understand Jim Levitt will not be part of this game.
Speaker 1: Correct, No, he's in Eugene already.
Speaker 2: So Jim Levitt, the former defensive coordinator for Colorado. He is leaving to be part of the new Willie Taggart staff up there in Eugene, Oregon. I learned that he loves pepsi pepsi. He like drinks forty pepsis a day that does that does not seem healthy.
Speaker 1: You don't hear that a lot? Also, soda might be a one seed on our things that people like that are actually garbage. Bracket.
Speaker 2: I saw something on Facebook, so it must be true that if you're having an issue with like hard water and you get the weird stains in the toilet.
Speaker 1: What is hard water? You never heard of hard water before? No?
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh, Dan art of the hard water. Hard water is a thing that has high mineral content. Yeah, high mineral content. Sure, it can harm your your appliances that use water. I've got a water software in the basement. I have to add salt to it periodically. Actually have to do it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I'll go do it tonight. Can you do it live on the show? Sure? Why not? No, I've never heard of water hardness. You East Coast people are leading such bad lives. I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: You are one of them. Hard Water is a thing, and sometimes it can lead to stains. Sometimes you can get stains in your toilet from it. It looks like you're unsanitary, but in fact it's just because of the water. I've learned that these stains that are nearly impossible to just wipe out with a normal toilet brush. If you pour coke in the toilet, oh, I believe it will just melt it off.
Speaker 1: I think I cleaned out one of the apartment bathrooms I had in college or something with a bunch of Coca Cola, Like, we just let it sit there and eat away. That shouldn't be in your stomach.
Speaker 2: It will engine Yeah, yeah, as you might have guessed, Coca Cola not a sponsor this show.
Speaker 1: No, not a sponsor. And Jim Levitt not coaching in this game, not coaching at this game. All right.
Speaker 2: I looked at this matchup. I really wanted to like Colorado way more than I did. Then I looked at the spread, and I realized.
Speaker 1: I'm not alone, Dan, Okay, I'm not alone.
Speaker 2: Why am I hesitant here? Why am I so hesitant with Colorado? I've been all year.
Speaker 1: Their offense can stagnate pretty easily. Say Alufal keeps getting hurt. We saw him hurt. I believe his ankle against Washington in the PAC twelve title game. Philip Lindsay's talented, but overall they're only sort of okay on the ground, Okay through the air. They're all around pretty solid on offense. I like the receivers Sheffields and Devin Ross. Their defense is great. They have two NFL corners in Tedrick Thompson. I know they sort of play all over the place, Nickella Witherspoon. They led the Pac twelve and passes defended, so they should be able to keep this Oklahoma State defense in front of them. Because Oklahoma State another team the d analytics love. They love the chunk plays. But I don't think that Colorado is going to be able to generate enough offense if this gets into a shootout. Oklahoma State's defense can struggle a little bit. You can move the ball on them. They're greatly improved running the ball. I have Oklahoma State here by ten. Whoa I'm going I'm going up with the Cowboys outright. I think they've got momentum. I don't think they're going to They don't lose to a team like Colorado who's going to struggle to move the ball. I have thirty one to twenty one Oklahoma State, especially because Saint Flulufau just always seems like he's hurt, because he is always hurt. I think Colorado in terms of interest, I think their season peaked with that Washington game, and it's a bit of a letdown part of the year. Interesting. So let me get this straight.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma State has momentum because they lost by eighteen at Oklahoma to close out.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they lose, they will lose to a team that can take advantage of their defense. I just don't think Colorado is that type of team. Okay, and they were in that cham they shot themselves in the foot a ton I had you pegged for Colorado here because they're in the PAC twelve. But I really like Colorado, but it's I don't know against this Oklahoma State team. I think they're built to be able to play with Colorado. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm going to go the other way, but you're right about Colorado. There is some reason to be skeptical here. They did get bombed in the Pac twelve game, and a lot of that was on the ground too. A lot of that was on the ground. Sure people are gonna say, well, Sefo lou Foul got hurt in the Washington game, and certainly that's when the game came off the rails. But Washington would have won that game pretty big either way. If you go back and look at it, they would have won that game. I think Oklahoma State's overrated. I am not at all impressed by their resume. The offense is good because it's always good. They just lost the Miami Beach Bowl by proxy, thank you. The defense is garbage garbage this season, and I'm just gonna favor the team with the better defense. I know they lose Jym eleven and I'm not super confident here, but i haven't been all year. So let's say Colorado plays. They're still playing to earn respect. They're I think a more balanced team than Oklahoma State. Not super confident. I'm gonna go Colorado wins, but only fourteen points. Probably a close game.
Speaker 1: They are giving away. This might be my number one, ty, Really, this might be my number one. I'm going to start with the smaller items and work up in sort of against what I've been doing. A mini helmet, fine, whatever, team, panoramic photo. Yeah, there's some sentiment there. Whatever. Sure, A my charge hub plus portable charger, seeing on and on about it. It's the year the portable charger one hundred and ten dollars, Best Buy gift card one hundred and ten very specific but useful, okay?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: And an Apple Watch. Wow? Yeah, I think the Apple Watch is garbage. I think that figures in my bracket of things people like that. I'm wearing one right now. I know you are.
Speaker 2: Still that's an impressive haul. So you're going Oak State. I'm going Colorado here, correct, we disagree, we do disagree. All right, let's move on. Let's go to the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.
Speaker 1: Get in the Zone. Get in the zone baby.
Speaker 2: On Friday, December thirtieth, at high noon on ESPN, We've got Georgia at seven and five, a one point favorite over TCU at six and six. Dan, I would urge people who work in corporate America not to take a vacation day to watch this game. Do not, like, even if you're thirtieth, right, yeah, the thirtieth, even if you're a Georgia or a TCU fan or a lum roll your time over into twenty seventeen, Like, just don't don't do it for this game.
Speaker 1: So I have a story about the thirtieth, right, So that's Friday, December thirtieth, Yes, as it relates to these games. So we have the Liberty Bowl, we have the Sun Bowl, the Music City Bowl, and the Home Loans Bowl, the Home Loans Arizona Bowl. Right, So Solid Fiance is going to be in New York. I'm going to be in California, but I'm coming back the twenty ninth. And she wanted to go see a Broadway play because my mom wanted to get us a gift for like our engagement. She said, go to a Broadway play on me. It's cool. Okay, that's that's a great, it's very kind thing. Yeah. So solid fiance is going to be here, she's hanging out, she'll be bored not working during the holiday break. And she said, how about we get tickets to see And I was very happy about this. Oh hello, which is John mullaney and Nick Kroll their two man Broadway show. Why don't we see that on the thirtieth? And my first instinct was like, oh, I mean there's Bowl games. And then I looked at the schedule and I said, yeah, okay, yeah, let's do it. Sure can I it's at two pm? Wonderful have tickets. That's what I'm gonna be doing. I'll tape these good for you. So what do we have? So we're talking Auto's Own Liberty Ball Georgia Tco.
Speaker 2: It feels like the game between the car that starts fifty percent of the time and the car that always starts.
Speaker 1: But has a doughnut on the back wheel. Well, if one of those cars couldn't run or throw, it might be Georgia. Yeah, because their offense was a struggle this year. They couldn't run. They were even worse throwing the ball, which is sort of understandable. New coach, freshman quarterback dog defense was really really good versus the run, and they were pretty good against the pass. But man, it was just it was not a great year for Georgia. It was There's not a ton you can take away happy they beat North Carolina early, They I mean, disappointing on the ground, which is kind of shocking considering the running back talent they had. But here's the good news. TCU sees your embarrassing season and raises you one of their own because they ran pretty well. They were themselves also garbage throwing the ball. Defense wasn't great versus the run. It was all right versus the past. Josh Caroway's big ear was sort of lost in a lot of TCU struggles. I have because I think Georgia is a team of extremes, bad offense, pretty fun defense, and TCU is just sort of halfway disappointing on both sides. I'm actually gonna roll with TCU. Wow, I'm gonna go with TCU. I know they're what a one point underdog? Yep. I think at this point blue chip guys at Georgia will be more disappointed to be in the Liberty Bowl than TCU's team. So I have twenty one twenty seventeen TCU that went by a field goal.
Speaker 2: That's a really great theory. Wow, it could be totally wrong and there's a good chance of that. Yeah, I'm second guessing my pick. I'm gonna go Georgia here. I have zero feel for this game, zero feel for this game. I am going to act impulsively and spitefully inside with Georgia because you might remember TCU was now infamously my preseason playoff pick. They're in the freaking Liberty Bowl. They're my playoff pick. They're garbage against the run, and they've been dealing with whatever Kenny Hill's doing all year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if they yanked him for good yet or.
Speaker 2: Not, but to be fair, Georgia is also hot garbage at least on offense, one hundred and fifth nationally in points per game. Defensively, You're right, though, they were above average. We got to stop calling people and things and teams garbage. We got to come up with new words, even though it might be true.
Speaker 1: We have to span. It's my fault.
Speaker 2: I have no place to slot this game because of the way I planned out the rest of my confidence pool, which is like a triple whammie. Here, I am gonna go Georgia and I'm gonna go twenty six points and I'm not gonna feel good about it at all. I'm just gonna roll the dice. It's a one point line, truthfully, you know it. I know it. This could go either way. So let's just let's go Georgia. I've said for a long time they would be my SEC team. They were nice to me when I went down to visit Athens a long long time ago, back in oh nine. Let's just go dogs.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Twenty six points, and let's just take the medicine and hope it works out.
Speaker 1: You know what surprisingly robust gift package though, Yeah, bass pro shops shopping trip. There's a little indicator. I don't know what the indicator means, but that's happening. What is what's set of bass pro shops? You've never been to a Bass Pro Is it like an la oh my god, ty people are rolling their eyes all over the.
Speaker 2: I know, well, listen, I live in eastern Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Cabellas is?
Speaker 2: There is a cabell Is nearby, like the biggest cabela Is ever is, Like yeah, it's any minute to the Western.
Speaker 1: Outdoor Enthusiasm Place. Okay, So just equipment and clothes and you.
Speaker 2: Can find something useful there, coolers, whatever.
Speaker 1: Oculus Pro Team HD.
Speaker 2: Binoculars, Okay, if you're into that team HD Bro. Did you say Oculus Pro Pro not Bro?
Speaker 1: Okay? Pro Team HD binocular is a below of a watch, Okay, which I think that's pretty nice. It's nice enough for a college kid walk away with Nike athletic shoes, sports sandals, no indication if they're eye slides, backpack and sunglasses and a football. It's whatever they lack in quality, or maybe they don't lack. You're getting a bunch from this game.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm still hung up on when I thought you said Oculus Bro. I keep think Oculus Bro. I keep thinking Brady Quinn as Oculus Bro.
Speaker 1: You get Brady Quinn branded binoculars. All right, that's good haul. I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Hyundai Sunbowl Dan and El Paso, Texas. HM.
Speaker 1: Is this the final game of Uncle Vern? I believe so? Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Friday again, December to December thirtieth. Excuse me, two pm CBS. We've got Stanford at nine and three. They are at least a time of recording. I don't know if they changed this at all, about a three to three and a half point favorite. They are now going against North Carolina. As you heard at the top of the show, Christian McCaffrey not going to be playing in this one.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: It is a big deal for obvious reasons. I saw David Lombardi from ESPN posted this little nugget. Christian McCaffrey has accounted for forty five point seven of Stanford's offensive touches over the past two seasons. That is the highest rate in the Football Bowl Subdivision. For reference, Danel Pumphrey from San Diego State is at forty four point four. If you throw in returns, McCaffrey has five hundred and ninety three touches in the last two seasons, which is obviously a tremendous amount, Dani. Yeah, I will also throw this little nugget in there. Everyone's talking about Christian McCaffrey right now. I read something for the first time last week. Have you heard of the quote unquote ditch for Mitch campaign yet?
Speaker 1: No, I've heard Mitch Trubisky's name, as he's going to be the first quarterback off the board, and I have very limited thoughts about that.
Speaker 2: The Browns are zero and fourteen. They lost again this weekend, like thirty three to thirteen of Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Some sports writers are now calling this the Ditch for Mitch campaign, as if it's some sort of like statement by the Browns to go out and achieve greater success by losing all their games to get I'm laughing here. I'm sorry to get Mitch Trubisky. I like Mitch Trubisky. He had a great year. He's got great physical tools. But Dan, we need to pump the brakes on Mitch Trubisky here. When you start talking about tanking to get a guy, that guy he got to be like once in a generation, he gotta be can't miss, right. I feel like he got to be someone other than Mitch Trubisky. I don't think Mitch Trubisky's that guy. He's just he's not Peyton Manning, he's not Andrew Luck, he's not he's not any of those guys.
Speaker 1: So here's my general rule of thinking. And this is danalytic free. And you can look up Mitch Trubisky's his stats against better teams and they're fine, They're nothing crazy. But I don't think that tells the full story my d analytics free analysis of should you take a quarterback in the first round? And I'm not an NFL fan, I don't have a team. I don't have anything. But in terms of how I would work a team, if you look at a quarterback and you say to yourself, man, if I were an opposing defensive coordinator, I wouldn't sleep that week. I don't know, Like, how do you stop Mariota? He's so accurate, he's so fast. How do you stop Jamis? He just changes so much at the line. There's no defense that can fully contain him. Andrew Luck, he's just he's a surgeon out there. Like those are the guys where were just like, man, I don't what a We have a good defense, but he's still gonna pick us. I just you watch Mitch Trubisky, You're like, it's pretty good. Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 1: To like throw everything behind Mitch Trubisky. I would be happy to be proven pompous, even more pompous than people already think I am about Mitch Trubisky. But I not seeing it, not right now. Ditch for Mitch.
Speaker 2: I suspect it's one of those deals where it's so hopeless that you know, Rihanna looking for love in a hopeless place, m h and Mitch Trubisky just comes walking through that door. He's got a dynamic arm, he's got size, he's got the arm talent that I think the NFL is gonna like. But gosh, okay. Stanford Dan closed out the year with five straight wins. North Carolina lost two of their final three to duke An NC State. Since effectively taking over the quarterback gig at Stanford, Keller Christ has thrown nine touchdowns, just one interception.
Speaker 1: He did not play any defenses that scare me, nor will he in the Sun Bowl.
Speaker 2: I felt before this Christian McCaffrey announcement that there was more reason to like Stanford than I had thought previously. I felt pretty good about Stanford chances here. I had Stanford winning the game, maybe a close game, to the tune of nineteen confidence points.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Christian McCaffrey thing, though, to me, is a huge distraction, a huge distraction really, and I feel like the team now maybe has a reason to devalue this game, like it might not mean as much to the rest of them because they're their leader won't be out there with them. I am going to switch my pop. I'm going to say Mitch Trubisky is making his pitch for Mitch in the NFL. If you like that, thank you very much. UNC wins a close one, I'm gonna go nineteen confidence points.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I enthusiastically disagree. So one, I think North carolina Is defense actually improved this year. There were times in twenty fifteen, and yes, there were times in twenty sixteen that were just atrocious, but when you look at what they were able to do, at least against teams that they should have performed defensively against some of the bottom of the ACC they actually did a pretty good job, and the numbers improved a little bit. But I thought, all in all, this team took a step in the right direction defensively, now Stanford, when they're operating at full mass, they are really really good, and that would include Christian McCaffrey. North Carolina, big D, analytic offense, good at creating chunk plays. They stalled a little bit too often on these drives. Another good acc wide receiver duo in Bug Howard and Ryan Switzer. I believe, great names, both of them, both of them. North Carolina wasn't terribly far from ten to two. The Duke and North Carolina State games were both winnable. They were both dumb games. They should have been They were competitive in those games. They should have been better on those fields. Stanford ran the ball this year. Their passing took perhaps the biggest step back of any team that plays in a Power five conference. They had a four game stretch in which they averaged eleven points before making that quarterback switch. I get the feeling because I really do like Bryce Love as well in the backfield, who is the sort of one be back to Christian McCaffrey. I get the feeling that this Stanford team, with time prepare against defense that still has struggled against the run, playing into the specialty of the Stanford offense. In Stanford themselves. They play really good defense, and we've seen North Carolina struggle when they haven't been able to run the ball. That's what Stanford stops. I think we might be seeing a lot of Christian who after Stanford wins this game, like that really dumb, crizy. It's just okay. I like Stanford here. I like Stanford with time prepare. I think it's a particularly advantageous matchup. I have Stanford twenty four to twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty four to twenty. Yeah, I might change this pick again right now. I'm gonna go unc. I could see it going either way. I really could. It's going to be a close game one way.
Speaker 1: Christian.
Speaker 2: I like that line though. That's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Dan, you know it. That's exactly like you know, like the laziest and I include myself in this. The laziest writers are gonna be like, guess they didn't need him, Guess they said go train.
Speaker 2: They fell in love with somebody other than Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 1: The sun Ball is going to be giving away a trip to the gift Suite to a timely watch company, silvertone Watch. It sounds nice. I have no idea if it is it sounds it though. Majestic Pro base fleece, pullover base fleece. Yeah, you know that. If there is any coach that's like, yeah, I don't I don't need this sun Bull pullover, Bill Snyder will take that. Bill Snyder has a fee. Take it off your hands. Yep. You can get an Osio Polton backpack, nice and an under armour cap and a commemorative coin.
Speaker 2: Commemorative coin nice.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty good. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You're going to watch again to give sweet You're getting a fleece and a hat. You know what they say in the business, Dan, Yeah, it's better than Lockheed Martin, better than getting an RPG from Lockheed Martin. The Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl in Nashville and Nissan Stadium also on Friday, December thirtieth, at three thirty pm Eastern. This one's between Tennessee at eight and four and Nebraska at nine and three. Tennessee's about a field goal favorite Dan quick sidebar here hit me?
Speaker 1: Is this a birth announcement on the show? No, no, no, no, nothing like that.
Speaker 2: There is a point in the near future where the solid wife and I are going to be in the market for a home, a home that we've got. Oh now, listen, po podcasting is a super lucrative business. You might be saying, well, don't you already have a mansion? Drinking tea out of my golden chalice here?
Speaker 1: Alas, I do not.
Speaker 2: I will indeed require a mortgage to purchase said home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I saw this ballgame as an opportunity to go out there and say, what is what could Franklin American and their mortgages do for me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I found their website Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages. I have found for you the holy Grail of stock photography.
Speaker 1: Dan good News, the company has at least seventy million dollars because that's how much they were fined for the False Claims Act in twenty fifty Oh good good, and they had to settle with the United States of America.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of false claims, we've got the Tennessee volunteers in this game.
Speaker 1: Dan Sue, Oh good, good one, thank you, good go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've been big on home games and bowls. This might be a case where I don't think it helps.
Speaker 1: Okay, why.
Speaker 2: I'm just so sour on them at this point. It was supposed to be what do you mean why they're eight and four because of somebody else's hype, not because of anyone else's hype. They had their whole team back and they went eight and four. Okay, this was supposed to be like the awakening of volunteer football, though to win the SEC East. They finished in four.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you this? Yeah, you can ask me anything. As a counterpoint, did they lose a game sixty two to three?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: They did not, Okay, they they did not.
Speaker 2: Okay, just making sure we're on the same page. Does that then mean that you're going with Tennessee.
Speaker 1: I think I am going Tennessee, and that is problematic because I already know how I feel about taking teams that play in extremes and Tennessee. Offensively, they can do a lot of really interesting things. They've got two great receivers. They did lose Jalen Hurd. He decided to leave the program, but Alvin Kamara stepped in really nicely. They're another team the analyticslov in terms of chunk plays. They were hurt all year defensively, and it seemed at a certain point their defensive strategy was just that of a very lazy parents willing to let their children just run around until they exhausted themselves out. So like, well, they're gonna run all over us. So maybe maybe Texas A and M we'll just get tired. Yeah, maybe I'll just get worn down from all of the open lanes. Nebraska themselves, they could not run consistently. Their passing was mostly it was a disappointment, especially versus better teams. They're pretty good against the run, They're okay against the past. I really like the talent in their secondary. That's how they sort of kept a lot of plays in front of them. But I just I don't see how they are going to stop Tennessee consistently and or match score with them. So I have Tennessee thirty to twenty four. I think they figure out how to have a big enough game in Josh Jabb's final game.
Speaker 2: I really don't want to pick Tennessee, Okay, And this is where I get myself into trouble when I start allowing emotion into the picking process. The issue I'm having and the reason I'm no longer all in on Nebraska is George western Camp's out. Yeah, he had a non contact injury. He's out for the bowl game. Tommy Armstrong, at least at time of recording, is still dealing with some kind of hamstring injury he got earlier in the year. He's not even practicing with the team right now. Right that's a problem. That's a problem. So there are many logical reasons to go with Nebraska here either way, because of the way I because the way I box myself in. This is an eighteen pointer for me, So not overly confident. You can't put five points on every game. This one just ended up at number eighteen right now. I am gonna say Nebraska. I am gonna wait, though, to see what happens with Tommy Armstrong. If he doesn't play, I'll probably switch to to Tennessee.
Speaker 1: So after the tough loss to Wisconsin, I can't randall Nebraska played two pretty decent teams, two excellent teams, one excellent team, one pretty good team on the road that would be at Ohio State and at Iowa. How many touchdowns did they score? And bind the top two games stop they scored but one touch I know they lost those two games one hundred and two to thirteen. It's not the greatest score line I might have to switch this now. I just I think Nebraska is a team that can be interesting. They appear to be recruiting quite well. I think everybody's probably in the back of their mind, even the most optimistic Nebraska fans, which there are a lot of, are probably saying to themselves, you know what, it'll probably be good for everybody that Tommy Armstrong is no longer going to be our starting quarterback. And thank you for he was a total warrior out there. Everybody seems to like him, I think. But Nebraska right now, as they're currently constituted, they just sort of seem like the facade of a good college football I'm going to switch at to Tennessee. And here's why I'm going to do it, because I'm very good at persuading you. If you are and if you're wrong, I can blame you. Yeah, absolutely all right, you can quickly. Oregon should have beat Nebraska tie. Think about that. That's right, That's right?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Okay, no more bills to pay and then three more games texture Dan.
Speaker 1: Hmmm. A lot of people responded really well to the magazine feature I referenced on our last episode. They did. Yeah, the Frank Sinatra one. Yeah as a cold. Here is the way this works.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've used texture before, I've talked about it at nauseum. I used it when I went on my honeymoon. Fired it up on the bird down to Jamaica, read some of my favorite magazine magazine articles. Texture has essentially digitized the magazine experience. So if you're going on a trip, if you're in a waiting room somewhere, if you've just got time to kill, if you don't have time to kill, you're just laying in bed, you want to do some reading, you want to catch up right, you can fire up the Texture app and they give you instant access to all the magazines that you know and love.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: They've got hundreds of magazines available, Sports, illustri Forbes, Fast Company, Rolling Stone, People, you name it. Over two hundred of them, Dan, They're all available. And not only that, you don't have to dig through them to figure out what is it I want to read? What is it I don't want to read? Texture Now has a cool feature which makes it easy to find and enjoy everything you want to read. They make daily recommendations. They also add exclusive interactive features. They've got videos, on there a whole bunch of other stuff. In addition to the fact that it's searchable. I like that it's searchable. If you have a bunch of paper magazines, you can't search that. You got to flip through them. It's a manual process. Texture is searchable. You can mark what you like, you can check out back issues. In addition to all that bonus content I just talked about, there's no reason for you not to try Texture, especially right now. It's a fourteen day free trial, so the holidays are coming up to it. You're going to be traveling if you're like Dan, if you're like me, you're going to be traveling. Are you going I'm traveling all up and down Eastern Pa? Man, Okay, just making sure I'm a.
Speaker 1: Jet sentter here.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're doing some travel, fourteen days to try it out for free fourteen days. You go to Texture t e X t U r E dot com, slash Solid you get a fourteen day free trial.
Speaker 1: Should mention the Franklin Mortgage. The Franklin American Mortgage. Music City Bowl is giving players access to their gift suite, a fossil watch, and an offer to destroy their credit so.
Speaker 2: Think it through, think it through, all right, quickly. We got three more games here to discuss. All right, let's do it. The Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl DAN in Arizona Stadium in Tucson. Also on Friday evening. This is a game between air Force DAN and South Alabama, who clear out the next hour of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah to talk about? Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Air Force is a thirteen and a half point favorite Dan. This game is on something called the American Sports Network. This sounds like the network that aired Sports Night in the late nineties, Like, not in real life, but actually in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like a sports network on a TV show that somebody what like, oh did you hear about what's happening with the Detroit Panthers. They're talking all about it on American Sports Network. That's right. I've got air Force to the tune of thirty eight points here. I think I'm feeling pretty strongly about air Force as well. They can run, they can't throw, they can stop thrown. They can't stop people from throwing. South Alabama's offenses. All right, they can throw the ball a little bit. Their defense isn't great. I have twenty eight thirteen Air Force. I'm pretty confident in that's I would just strongly suggest anybody going to this game in Tucson make sure you wake up early because the Arizona desert has a distinct morning dew smell, and I love it. Some people don't like it. I love it. I love Arizona. I know you really are big on Arizona, huge on Arizona, big Southwest guy here. Yeah, So can I ask you this? You have deep ties to Eastern PA. I do your extended family solid wife, Kate's extended family in a post apocalyptic scenario, sure, where you could take You and Kate are fine? You have money, you figured out you could sort of live anywhere you're not bound by those ties. Are you considering Arizona? It would be Arizona or Hawaii? Well you probably have to get there by car if we're talking post apocalypse post apocalypse. Yeah, okay, well then it would probably be Arizona. Yeah, because I still remember when in twenty ten you were taking pictures of the mountains in Arizona.
Speaker 2: I was such a tourist. Yeah, I was only missing the fanny pack. I think in twenty ten it was was it a digital camera that you were taking pictures with it. Probably probably probably we've been doing the show for so long.
Speaker 1: Ah, do you remember I was a huge nerd.
Speaker 2: That was when we saw Bill Hancock looking for his car in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: That is true. Yeah, you shared a moment. Now it would be Arizona for me. Okay, I'd listen. Half of my family's from Arizona. They are. They're giving away quite a bit in this game. By the way. Oh, in the Arizona game, you win a new loan, the Nova Home Loans, Arizona Bowl, South Alabama Air Force Red inflatable quote unquote big lazy couch. What okay, an inflatable big lazy couch, an inflamable couch. Okay. A Selco s c l c O watch, which sounds like a price is right, Like if there were a TV show with a prices right style show, you could win a cell Co watch.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a watch that they'd sell in the American sportsw.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly right. Ty an ogo rocksack, which is just a backpack. I looked it up. It's just a backpack. It's called a rock sack. Beats by Doctor dre Power. It's two headphones with case. That's pretty good. I have those, I'd be very Are you happy with them? I love them?
Speaker 2: I believe those are the Bluetooth earbuds. Oh beautiful, fantastic. And the no sweat specialty sock. No sweat specialties socks is how it's worded here, and I will go on record once again, ty socks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're only as comfortable as your feet. So cool treating yourself with good socks. You're in a good place. I think the Arizona ball's taking care of its players. Good for South Alabama, good fair force.
Speaker 2: Two more games, Dan, I know, it's hard to believe that there could be any game bigger than the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bawl. I know, but ball season continues to surprise, continues to impress. Yeah, we're going to talk about two games that occur on New Year's Eve earlier in the day, eleven am. This one is called the Buffalo wild Wings Citrus Bowl, Dan, Yeah, another Bowl game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. This is an awesome matchup, an awesome, awesome matchup. LSU seven and four a three and a half point favorite against Louisville, who finished the year at nine and three, we already talked about Leo.
Speaker 1: Why would you say that like a Spanish tourist. They're playing a Louisville playing a Louisville. Yeah, I don't know, Okay, Louisville LSU. We already talked about Leo Fournette skipping this one. The difference between him and Christian McCaffrey is that his team has Darius Guice and so much disrespect for Bryce love Well.
Speaker 2: I like Bryce love but Darius Guys actually led his team and carries rushing yardage and rushing touchdowns this year, so it's not so much a backup situation. He led the team statistically on the ground. I like LSU in this game. I think Louisville closed out their season by getting bombed against Houston and losing a shootout in the Governor's Cup against Kentucky. And I just don't think that ed Or Jaran's going to sleep walk into a Bowl game, not after getting the job of his dreams. It feels to me like he's going to try and coach the hell out of this game. And I think defensively, they have what it takes to confuse Lamar Jackson enough that they can win this game.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. I think everything you're saying is right in line, and the point is taken about Darius Skice. He was their leading rusher. LSU as a team, when both of those guys are healthy, they're as good a running team as anybody in the country. Their passing ended up being not bad, but that was against a lot of sort of disappointing defenses. They score when they string together big plays. Louisville is very good against that, so that should be an interesting matchup. LSU's defense is pretty much the most complete non Alabama defense in the country, and they are particularly excellent in the red zone. So Louisville will not be able to win this game kicking field goals. I don't believe Louisville as good a running team as anybody in the country. They're also obviously a very good passing team, and Lamar Jackson at his height is the best. Louisville's defense I think was overlooked a little bit because of the genius of Lamar Jackson. They were very good.
Speaker 2: They were very very good. They got better too as the year. As the year were on.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, I am a little bit worried about Louisville's offense against LICs Hu's defense. L's Hu's defense is that good and if they are charged up, which I think you're right, I think Dacocho will have them ready to play. I'm gonna go twenty four to twenty Lsu. I feel pretty good about it. I think Alice Hu's defense as unbelievable as Louisville's offense is. I think the time off, I think the sort of Heisman hangover. I think Lamar Jackson will be good and we'll make good plays, but I'm going with Lsu here. I think they get it done. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Something that struck me down the stretch. Lamar Jackson, now you want the Heisman. He's a dynamic runner, He's a dynamic player. He was very average as a passer in some of those games in the second half of the year. You didn't see it so much earlier in the season. I don't know if it was a situation where opponents figured out something with him or what it was, but I gotta believe that Dave Randa, with a couple weeks to prepare with this defense for someone like Lamar Jackson, he's gonna be ready They're gonna have a formula for him to maybe not totally clip his wings, but to at least contain him to the point that Louisville needs to get help elsewhere. I think LS wins, but I'm only gonna put like four confidence points on it. I'm not confident in this game.
Speaker 1: I have forty two confidence points, not on the outcome of this game, but on the fact that Jesse Palmer is going to start saying a Dave Randa defense in the way that he talks about a Gusmalson offense and a Bud Foster defense in the exact same way Dave Randa has heard his name. I've heard Dave Randa's name maybe ten times more than any other coordinator in college football in the past six months, and with good reason. He's excellent. But I think his specific story is what is going to be latched onto by Jesse Palmer in a very big way moving forward. And you know what, I'm fine with it. I like Jesse Palmer, I like Dave Randa, but it is an absolute certainty that a Dave Randa defense is a thing. What is the gift situation here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Coach O and the players actually don't know if the coaches walk away with anything, but in the Citrus Bowl, they will be walking away with a three hundred and five dollars Best Buy Shopping three to oh five five. You can do pretty well with that.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Can you get an Xbox or a PS four for that? Are think three hundred dollars now, meybe, Yeah, you can get a PS one for it for sure. Sure, get a Timely Watch Company, watch Eye Slide Sandals. There it is, wow, twenty five dollars towards Buffalo wild Wings because it is the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bawl. I like that they throw. I don't remember if the Chick fil A Bowl whatever was giving away Chick fil A. Here's the item that I love the most in this game. The Citrus Bowl is giving away and I quote EA Sports video game. Oh, EA Sports video game. Oh yeah, so that's not that's not so they're either giving away n CUAA twenty fourteen was the last one we got twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen. Yeah, I think it was twenty fourteen. Maybe I'm wrong, whatever, but EA Sports video Game. That's awkward. Yeah, maybe it's the SIMS. Yeah, I guess that would just be ea. But yeah, I think we both agree, Alsie.
Speaker 2: And then finally we've got the tax Slayer Bowl, same time, New Year's Eve, eleven am. They play this one in Jacksonville. It's on ESPN, between Georgia Tech and Kentucky. Dan, they call it the tax Slayer Bowl. How about the forward Pass Slayer Bowl?
Speaker 1: Now, Dan, No, no, you're not wrong, but still no, no, Okay, how do you feel about this game? This is what I have down you want, I'm gonna read it verbatim what I have here, Go ahead. Georgia Tech offense good, Georgia Tech defense not great. Kentucky ran super well, couldn't throw Kentucky defense not good. Kentucky thirty to twenty seven. That's what I have down here. Georgia Tech eight and four, three and a half point favorites over Kentucky seven and five.
Speaker 2: I feel like Kentucky played their bowl game last week of the season against Louisville, Okay, and they won. I don't know if they care much about going to the tax Slayer Bowl. To be honest with this is a pretty good game for Kentucky though. If I'm being honest, this is a good game to be playing on New Year's Eve. But I think, like I said, they played their biggest game of the year, final game of the year. Now they go to Jacksonville. I got to believe they're outnumbered by Tech people.
Speaker 1: It's still a smaller school.
Speaker 2: It's a smaller school, but Tech is closer to Jacksonville, and they've got more of a presence in the Southeast and Kentucky football does. I think they have a lot of success running their option. I like them to win the game to the tune of twenty one points here Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech wins twenty one twenty one confidence points.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: One thing that I did notice though, and this is probably more a story for twenty seventeen than it is for twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Both these teams are really young. Stanley Boom Williams was secretly one of the most fun players to watch this year. Yeah, a great talent for Kentucky. All right, so you're going Kentucky, I'm going Georgia Tech. Yeah. So we have let's see, we have taxes, greasy food, your credit, your credit, an efficient car, something to fix your car, something to put in your car, and somewhere to drive with the greasy food in your car to buy big clothes for all your greasy stel ladies and gentlemen. You're twenty sixteen Bowl sponsors, your bull sponsors, and I should add the Bowl game. The tax Layer Bowl is giving away fossil watch. A lot of people giving away watches. Yeah, which I'm good with a carry on bag, that's not bad. Hey, I still use my freebie that I got. I would take it happily under armor sunglasses. Didn't even know they made sunglasses. Nice A football, A bobblehead with the player's face, a custom babble that's cool.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's real cool. I would be very happy with that. And name and uniform number. Oh, it's part of those say bubblehead with players face, cool, name and uniform number. Oh, there's just a common between face, name and uniform numbers. So you're getting a custom bobblehead with your jersey. I guess cool. Yeah, that does it. That's it. That's also for Bowl preview part four? What is that? In Spanish? Quatro? Good job.
Speaker 2: We're doing this recording on Tuesday evening, so if there's any news between now and Wednesday evening. When we pushed us out into the wild. Please forgive us. We hope if you haven't already, if you're in the Greater New York City area, or if you plan on being in the New York City area, that if you haven't already, you did get a chance to purchase tickets earlier today to our live show on January fourteenth, sort of a postseason post mortem. We'll talk about the Champion, we'll talk about some other central themes in and around the world of college football over the course of the past season. Hopefully all those tickets are gone, though there's.
Speaker 1: No way of knowing right now for sure. While you are all saying that, you all, while you were saying that, I was thinking of the rhyming schemes that if it weren't Mitch Trubisky, if it were another quarterback that you were trying to fail for, and I could not do better than don't play wiser for Kaiser.
Speaker 2: Yawn for DeShawn, yawn for Deshaun, Eliyah for Cotton.
Speaker 1: Now, whya is not really a word, but no, no, no, no, no, no sleep on a futon for DeShawn. I'm very bad at this. That's that's actually awful, especially bad. It is especially bad. I'm looking at the passing stats to see seniors. I know Davis Webb got attention early. I would not draft him in the top EBB for Webb it rhymes hate for Nate Peterman, I.
Speaker 2: Would hate myself. I took Nate Peterman that that early. Yeah, I like Nate Peterman, but not that much.
Speaker 1: Play smelly for Chad Kelly. There it is head for the Hills, Perry Hills, Perry Hills. No, that's all I got before I embarrass myself further. Well, this is a fun show. Ran a little long, but I think we covered a lot of ground. I disagree.
Speaker 2: We appreciate everyone tuning in and downloading the show.
Speaker 1: This is actually going to be our last.
Speaker 2: Show before Christmas, before the holidays, so we hope everyone out there wherever this podcast finds you, that you have a very happy holiday season. The next time Dan and I record our schedule anyway has it as December twenty eighth, so we'll be previewing the New Year's six Bowl games, the bigger games, the playoff games on December twenty eighth. Obviously, we'll do our best to kind of recap these as best we can here, but Dan.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your enjoy your holidays, enjoy your travel.
Speaker 2: Say hello to Mama Rubinstein, of course for me, Center, my love, se my best, to the solid fiance, and to everyone out there.
Speaker 1: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 2: Hope, Hope the holiday season treats too well that you all travel safely.
Speaker 1: Did you do all of your holiday your Christmas shopping? I did?
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I'm good, first time, happy with everything. I'm very happy. Yeah, some people who are getting gifts actually listen to the show, so I can't devolve there that gift is. But baby, right, I have a holiday gift for I have a Christmas gift for everybody that I think I think is gonna be a big hit. So I'm excited to reveal it when we do our next show.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's for whom that you're saying is going to be a big hit. I bought the same gift for everybody, eye slides, sandals, that's right. Okay, yes, it makes it easy for.
Speaker 2: That guy over there, Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand. Thank you again for tuning in. Good luck with your bowl picks, Have a merry Christmas, have a very happy holiday season. We'll talk to you all on December twenty You meantimes stay stop me. Hey would