Speaker 1: Family Secrets is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: My life had been broken by grief, and then for a period it was redeemed by love. But people do not love each other in the same way, and sometimes there is terror in love. I wanted a family more than anything in the world. The man didn't. But instead of acknowledging that we wanted different things and that we might be better off in pursuit of separate lives, we stayed together. It is difficult to look back now and see that I tolerated this for as long as I did. Some men take strong women as a challenge and derive a pleasure in breaking them or trying to. And when you are a strong woman, you also might not think this can happen to you, that you might be in trouble, that someone you care for might be dangerous for you.
Speaker 1: That's Fatima Bhutto, Pakistani writer and columnist and author of several books, including the memoir Song of Blood and Sword and the recent The Hour of the Wolf. Fatima's is a story of growing up in a world filled with magic and also marked by profound fear of impending loss. When that loss becomes a reality, grief shapes her from the inside out, until finally the waves recede, her sight clears, and she finds herself feeling the kind of safety that had never been her birthright. I'm Danny Shapiro, and this is family secrets, the secrets that are kept from us, the secrets we keep from others, and the secrets we keep from ourselves. Tell me about the landscape of your childhood as early as you remember.
Speaker 2: The earliest I remember really is my father. My father was the entire universe of my childhood, and besides him was this enormous absence of home, because of course I wasn't born in my country. I was born when my father was in exile. And home this place that my father loved and adored, but that we couldn't return to because of danger, because of politics, because of a dictatorship. It always loomed very strongly, not even in the background. It was really quite foregrounded for us. And it was a place of so much promise and so much beauty, but also a threatening place. And I suppose somehow my father made this world seem open and wondrous and exciting. But he also didn't lie to me. He didn't hide what was threatening about it.
Speaker 1: That's something that really struck me, is that somehow embedded in the very atmosphere of your childhood was it almost seems like it presaged loss.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was always there as well, because I was born three years after my grandfather had been killed by a military dictatorship in Bakistan, and three years after I was born, my father's younger brother, who was only twenty seven at the time, was also killed, And there was always this sense that it was close by. That My father didn't say things like you know, when I die. He said things like when I'm killed, And even though it upset me as a child, when I would tell him that it upset me, he would say, well, you should know that that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Fatima and her father have a nighttime ritual in the dark quiet of their Damascus flat. After he reads her a bedtime story, He'll say, if anything ever happened to you, I would die, and Fatima responds by saying, me too, Papa, I would die without you too. She writes in her memoir. We spoke that oath to each other as easily as some people say sweet dreams.
Speaker 2: I have two babies now, and the thought of saying that to them would just fill me with so much sadness, but it felt normal. My father would tell me a story, and he was a wonderful mimic, so he would do voices, and you know, it was comedic and exciting and fun to listen to him. And then he would sit there and wait for me to sleep. But his good night was always this quite sorry, full good night. And I didn't really understand that there was anything unusual about it because this idea of all the loss around us, it made it seem quite possible that something bad would happen. So it seemed a kind of normal thing to say. But it really was a beautiful childhood in so many ways. I mean, I knew there were bits that were not normal about it, you know, I knew as a young child. I mean, I was very chatty. I'm still very chatty, but I was. I loved talking, and as soon as I was old enough to answer the phone, that was like incredibly exciting to me because imagine the chance we just get to talk to someone out of the blue in your own home. And I remember being told not just by my father but by my grandmother, who I adored and who was really a substandard mother figure for me. I remember being told, you know, when you pick up the phone, you can't tell people everything. You know, if they ask for your far and he's not here, you can't say he's not here. You have to say, oh, he's busy with something, he'll call you back. And I understood that was strange. And you know, there were a lot of secrets, because survival depended on secrets. So you couldn't tell people where you were, you couldn't tell them where you weren't, and sometimes you had to leave your home because it was dangerous. And then of course you would return to your home as though nothing had happened, or I mean, all the grown ups would return as though nothing had happened. But I would be a little bit stunned and confused. And I'm sure so there were little clues that things were not normal. There were things that felt very extraordinary, but I just understood it as how it was. I didn't really see how we could change that.
Speaker 1: And your mother was not in the picture right. She and your father divorced when you were three.
Speaker 2: They divorced when I was three, and I didn't really have very much interaction with her when I was older, and I'm sure that affected me in multiple, multiple ways. But at the time, again, my father was really the sum of everything for me and I. As long as I had him nearby, I felt safe. While I was still in Damascus in Syria. You know, when my father was a bachelor, I had kind of a bachelor life too. We would go swimming on the weekends. You know, he would play squash and I would. I would read a book or swim at the pool. We'd go out and have meals. My father thought he was a very good cook, but I'm not really sure he was, so there was a lot of dinners out. You know. I didn't really have a bedtime per se. You know, I could stay up late, I could travel where my father went. I had to go because there was no one else to look after me. When the grown ups were talking, I was sitting there eating peanuts and you know, listening to them talk. And I thought my father's friends were my friends because I had to spend as much time with them as he did. So was it worth quite a bachelor life? But then he remarried and then they had a baby, my brother's Ulfagar, and that certainly felt a little bit more normal. You know, there was now a bit more of bedtimes. There was a baby, you had the routines that that babies have, and I went to school and that felt very normal. You know. I had friends that I loved, and I lived in a beautiful city, you know, one of the world's most ancient cities, and everything felt very normal until we had to return to Pakistan and my father stood for elections and he won, and that was it. This very romantic but tragic exile was suddenly over. And this possibility that we had always spoken about but never really thought would come true that we would return home, suddenly was upon us. And not only were we returning home, we were returning home in a month.
Speaker 1: And how old were you when that return happened.
Speaker 2: I was about eleven, eleven and a half something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're also leaving the friends that you've made behind. I mean, eleven, it's just nobody wants to be eleven again.
Speaker 2: No, I'm in the sixth grade. You know. It's like the beginning of a very exciting period at school. And we're in middle school. We have lockers now, you know, it's just really kind of cool new period. And I've got to leave and I've got to leave. And I didn't think I was an exile. You know, my father was an exile. It was not his country, it was not the language he grew up speaking, it was not his childhood home, but it was mine. So the end of his exile was in a way the beginning of my own. And he had spent sixteen years waiting, counting days and months and hours and missing everything about home. And that period for me really began when we left Damascus and I returned to this place that up until that point I had only visited, and I loved it, but I loved it because my father loved it.
Speaker 1: And what was that landscape like, you know, you're eleven years old, twelve years old, you're now in Karachi, your father is elected, and there's this whole other world. And also I would imagine the rhythm of just everyday life must have shifted tremendously.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was not just a different world. It was like a totally different life. Because Damascus at that point, I mean, you know, in the nineteen eighties, even the early nineteen nineties, was nothing like the Syria people imagine today. It was a very sleepy town. It was a tiny place. It was incredibly safe. Karachi was a mad city. It was a city of millions upon millions upon millions of people. It's a crash of people. It's super chaotic. There's motorcycles, rickshaws, cars, there's no footpaths, there's no pavements, so you've got people, children, families whizzing in between traffic. And it was not just a megacity, but it was a very dangerous city. It was a city where there was a law and order problem, which is, you know, it's a nice way of saying you lived in a really violent place. And there were shootings. They were at that time. They want bombings. Those came later. But also it was not anonymous city for me, because whereas in Syria, I had just been, you know, a sixth grader, someone from a strange part of the world, someone from far away. In Bagistan, my family was very well known, and that meant that people were curious about me, and I'd not had that before. I'd not understood what it felt like.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. When Fatima is fourteen, her whole world is upended, her beloved father, her son, and moon is assassinated. This is not a haphazard or unorganized killing. His assassination is well planned, very deliberate.
Speaker 2: We'd started to notice in the days before armored vehicles were beginning to be placed around our house. So coming back from school one day, I saw one, and you know, an armored vehicles pretty hard to miss, especially when they're men with colashnikos, you know, tending out of it. And then the next day there were two, and then the next day there were three, and we were basically surrounded. And at that time, like I said, Karachi was a very dangerous place. And I went to the American School, and it happened once in a while that our school was shot at. You'd be going to class and you'd hear gunfire, and you know, you knew what to do. We knew what to do. We were taught what to do. So it was scary, but it didn't quite feel out of the ordinary. And my father, because he was a politician and he was very outspoken, he thought they might try to arrest him, and that's what he'd told us to plan for. But the day that he was killed, he was going to a public meeting outside of the city, and I wanted very much to go with him. And usually my father was quite keen to drag me along on him political outings because we could chat in the car and we always had fun when we were together. But that day he said I couldn't come. He said it was too dangerous and he would see me when he got back in the evening. And what we didn't know is that as it got darker, the Karate police were placed on our street. There were anywhere from seventy to one hundred policemen stationed, some in sniper positions in the trees, in these very old Banyan trees, you know, which are very large, imposing sort of trees that look a bit like weeping willows. You know, they've got very long leaves. The police were put even as high up as into those trees. And we live on a street where there are a lot of consulates and all the guards that these foreign consulates were told to leave their posts by the police, and the street lights were turned off and traffic was stopped from entering the road. So when my father's car approached the road to come home, the police stopped him and someone was charged with identifying that he was who he was, And when they identified him, then they gave an order to fire and my father and all the men with him were were shot, not once, many times, and they were all killed by point blank gunshots. And we were in the house at the time, so my brother was six years old and I was fourteen, and so we heard everything. And this was in the days before cell phone, so we had no way of reaching my father to know where he was. But when we tried to leave the house to find out what had happened, the police stopped us and said that there had been a robbery nearby. And again, because this was such a dangerous city, they could say something like that, and it was within the realm of possibility. It was strange that a robbery would produced so much gunfire because it was several minutes long. It felt like a lot of weapons were being fired. It wasn't, you know, a single shot all things like that. But that's what they said. But what they were doing is they were cleaning the streets, and they were moving all of the men, including my father, to different locations around the city, none of which were emergency hospitals. They were all just taken to different clinics around Karachi.
Speaker 1: And when were you told what had happened?
Speaker 2: Well, we were waiting and waiting and waiting, and my father hadn't come back yet, and it seemed strange that he would be so late. And my aunt. This is the less ordinary part of the story. My aunt at the time was the prime minister of the country. And after an hour or so of waiting, I said, I was getting nervous, and I said, I'm going to call my aunt and find out what's happening. And my aunts and my father were quite estranged, and though they had been very closest young people, he was a critic of her government, and it was a government that was marked by by a lot of exactly the kind of violence that both of them would be killed, by a lot of police excess and many other things. So I called the prime Minister's house and the secretary, the ADC of the Prime Minister's house, was very apologetic to me and very concerned. I had no idea why, obviously, and instead of putting me through to my aunt, he put me through to her husband, who was who was not really a favorite in the family, let's put it that way. He'd been accused of a lot of corruption. He was known in those days as mister ten percent because of all the graph that he took off of deals going through the government. He put me on the phone with my aunt's husband, and I was a bit confused as to why I was put on the phone with him, And when I asked to speak to my aunt, he said, no, you can't, she's hysterical. And I still didn't understand because I really didn't connect that shooting and all the noise to my father. I just I didn't want it to be my father, but also I had hoped, really against hope it wasn't. So I asked my aunt's husband why my aunt was hysterical and tried to impress upon him that it was very important I spoke to her, and that's when he said, don't you know your father's been shocked, and that's how I found.
Speaker 1: That, And where was your stepmother during that?
Speaker 2: She was there, And it was at that time when I heard those words. I just dropped the phone and everything went a bit black, and she picked up the phone, and I don't really know what happened. Then. The next thing I remember was just that she was screaming and getting the car ready to go somewhere, and again she tried to leave me behind and I refused, and I insisted on going, and that's when we went to a clinic. That was the kind of clinic you went, you know, when you had to see the dentist or you had to get a vaccine. It was not a place that had emergency doctors. It didn't have an er. And that's where my father had been taken, purposely so that he couldn't be helped, and that's where we went. I was totally heartbroken, and beyond that, I've been broken while my father is killing and I had no choice but to get on with it. I had to go to school, I had to do the things you have to do. And also I had to live in the same house. I mean, anytime I went to school, if I went to buy a pack of gum, I had to travel on the street that my father was killed on. Anytime I came home, any homecoming also meant passing that road. Being on that road. I had no sense of how wounded I was and how much work it had taken to keep me getting through those ordinary moments as stably as possible. I'm sure everyone worries about what happens to their parents, but in my life, it seemed not a possibility. It seemed a highly likely possibility. And I'd always had anxiety. I'd always had pain in my stomach as a child when I felt afraid, and as I got older that became more obvious, it became much stronger and much rare. And when I was older and I guess enough away from what had happened and finally felt, you know, I'm now building a sort of new life, was exactly the moment that I started to get incredibly devastating panic attacks, where they were so strong I didn't think I could breathe or I couldn't stand up. I was unable to communicate. And I mean, now, you know, we know all kinds of things about how the body keeps the score, and at that time there was no vocabulary for it. I didn't understand. I thought I had dealt with a lot of my trauma because I went to therapy. You know, everyone knew what had happened to me, so it was difficult not to talk about it. And I was lucky to have a lot of support from friends, from people at my school. I've seen a lot of sadness and a lot of danger, but I've also seen the incredible kindness of people of strangers, so I didn't understand what was happening, and it carried on for really a rather long time. I have to say. It was always somewhere there in the background, and it made me even as I dealt with it and I did more therapy, I did yoga, I took medicine. It always stayed with me. So I never felt far away from grief. I never felt very far away from my anxiety. I never felt far away from fear. And I did the best I could. I suppose. I went to college. I then went to England. I did a master's and though I wanted to be a writer, I enjoyed it very much. I did also choose to write about things that hurt me, that bothered me, that worried me, that made me fearful, And eventually I wrote about my father's life and his assassination in what was my first book, and so put myself to the experience of the trauma all over again, by finding people from my father's path, finding policemen that had been present on the scene that night, finding doctors. And I did that really because I didn't think I was going to get justice anywhere. I didn't think I was going to get it in the court. So I didn't think I was going to get it in my country, and so I had to find a different way of reckoning what had happened. And it seemed like a record of it, a reckoning of it, and a testimony, a document of what had happened, was going to be the closest I could get. So I spent six years working.
Speaker 1: On that book, and not surprisingly and unsurprisingly, and also, I mean, what were you going to do? Write a romance novel? I mean, yeah, our theams are just it's a fancy literary word for what obsesses us. And it would seem to me that it would have been absolutely impossible for you to do anything other than that. And yet, of course, with everything that we know about trauma now and the way that it does live, you know in our bones that it would retraumatize you. You know. I think in some way too, people have the misunderstanding that that there would be catharsis around something like delving so deeply into this story that was just this defining, terrible story tragedy of your young life, and it does something else, It embeds it. So you had written that during this period of time you're on tour and you lose your voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I finished the book, it comes out, and I go on this tour with it. Of Course, I know nothing about how books work, and I just assumed you write the book and then someone else does you know the rest of it. But it doesn't work that way, and so you kind of have to go out and shepherd this thing around. And it was incredibly important to me, the story. So whenever I was asked, will you come here and talk about your book, I said yes, of course, and I went, and just as I'm doing now, I had to relive really the worst moment of my life over and over again, and not always with I mean not often, I should say, with sensitive interlocutors. You know, at that time, Pakistan was very much in the news. The war on Terror was still, you know, in its throws, and I was interviewed by journalists and war correspondents who treated me, you know, in a way like I was answerable for Pakistan in a lot of ways, and they would forget really that I'm I'm someone talking about her father, I'm someone talking about someone that they love. I'm not an official. I'm not a government official. I don't hold any office I'm not really answerable, and I had to be calm. You know, I couldn't cry on stage. I couldn't. I couldn't get angry, I couldn't get upset. I had to be calm, and I would do it. I don't know how, but I would do it night after night after night, sometimes several times a day. And then I would just crumple, you know. I would get off stage, and if I couldn't find my hotel key, I would just fall down crying. I would spend days where I couldn't sleep, where I couldn't eat, and then finally I lost my voice and I went to doctors. I went to see specialists, and there was nothing wrong. I had nothing wrong with my throat or my vocal cords or anything like that.
Speaker 1: It was just my body saying it had had enough. During this time, something else is crumpling, something unexpected. Fatima's relationship with her dog Lama.
Speaker 2: I got Lama at a time when, again, you know, there was a lot of uncertainty and danger in Pakistan, and and she was this wonderful, long haired daccent who was so gentle and so steadfast. I mean, that's the best way to describe her, and I adored Lama, and then this book came out. I hadn't even begun writing it at the time that I got Lama, but I then, you know, begin the process of writing the book. I then have to go out and tour with the book. At that time, I felt, none of this is going to work. If I'm if I'm sitting here in Pakistan, you know, I've got to get away from from everything, from this life or the grief, the you know, my old life I'm trying. I wanted to build something new, and at that time I was still touring with that book about my father, and so I started to distance myself from home, from you know, my life at home, my life as I knew it, and even my dog and even Lama, because it became harder and harder to say goodbye, hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye and carry on this nomadic existence that I'd thrown myself into when there was always this little creature who was waiting for me and who felt lonely without me. And in trying to make that distance, and in trying to cement that distance, I was careless. I was cruel. I just wanted to cut ties, you know, and be gone. And when I was traveling during one of these periods, Lama died. She had she'd been fine, she just got ill, and before I could get back, she was gone. And I felt horrible. I felt I had been so careless and so on, and to do that to an animal. You know, who's who's so loving and and all animals are, you know, they just love us. They love us at our most negligent, at our most distant, at our most selfish and thoughtless, because they can, because they do well.
Speaker 1: They love unconditionally, which is something that we long for as humans and is rare.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And to be honest, you know, we don't do it with each other very often. We're very stingy when it comes to doing that with each other. But Lama, I really I've felt horrible about.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a moment with more family secrets. Before Lama's death, Fatima meets someone, a man who will, for better or worse, become a fixture in her life for the next decade.
Speaker 2: I had put myself in this situation where I was really retraumatizing myself on a daily basis, and I had already spent most of my life quite grief struck, but I did sort of believe what people said. I did think maybe there's some kind of catharsis in writing a book like the one I had written. I thought maybe there might be some justice. And actually it wasn't. And that was a really rude awakening for me. It was a really unpleasant surprise to find that, actually, no, I didn't feel better. I didn't feel, you know, healed in one way or another. I felt even more afraid. I felt even more undone, because so much time had passed and and I was still very much in pain. And at that time I met a man who was older than me, and he seemed at the time possessed of this unearthly intelligence and confidence. And when I met him, he told me that he could see I was wounded, that I was in pain. He said it was written all over my face, and I was telegraphing it and everything I did. And he said it was strange because he could see right away that I didn't have to be in pain, that I could press a switch almost by understanding things in a different way, and I could end all my sorrow, I could end all my suffering and grief. I could be done with it. I could be cured of all my sadness, and it was easy, and all I had to do was to believe him and to listen to what he said, and he would help me. He would help me erase it. And it was really too seductive a promise not to jump at. And I was entranced by this possibility. I was in trance, and he sort of did it. I mean, he had a totally unusual, confident, very primal way of being in the world, and he didn't think what had happened to me was all that unusual. He didn't think it meant I had to ruin my life. He thought it could be a matter of just changing my perspective. And he did help me. I have to say, he did help me. To give him credit where he does deserve it change my thinking. And that was one of the secrets he told me that, you know, we do our thinking. It's not done to us. It's not like a thought just magically appears in your mind. You put it there, and just the way you put it there and take it out. What I didn't realize at the time was that he was grooming me as well. In many ways. He was grooming me to forget a certain kind of treatment that he would dish out to me. And though he was very charismatic in this way, though I wouldn't call him charming, because he was confident, because he had this sureness about himself. I was quite entranced by him.
Speaker 1: Well, and some of it came true, right Like your voice returned, Yeah, I mean that was so striking to me. Is that literally your voice which had troubled you and had disappeared on you? And could there possibly be a more powerful metaphor? And then he is at least tangentially responsible for, you know, for your voice returning to you. And yet simultaneously he's also embarked on a process that's going to rob you a voice in another way.
Speaker 2: Oh completely, In fact, I've never actually thought of it that way, but that is what happened. He he does this kind of magic, you know, and he did this not just with my voice but with other things. I used to be incredibly, incredibly panicked about time. You know, if I had a flight, I had to be at the airport three hours before the flight. If I was going to meet you for a coffee and we agreed to meet at ten, I would be there at nine point thirty, just you know, ages before, because if I was even five minutes close to being on time, I would be just wrecked. And this man turned around and said to me, oh, you've got to stop doing that. And you know I'd heard that before, obviously, but he said, no, no, you've got to stop doing that. The reason you care so much about the time is because you couldn't save your father, because your father was dying while you were locked inside the house and you couldn't reach him in time to speak to him. And that's why you panic about the time. And he was right. I mean, he was right. I would I would drive myself into a into not you know, to be on time, and if I was late, I felt like my system was exploding. So he really did help me in a lot of ways. But at the same time, he was building a new a new set of boundaries and anxieties. And as confident and sure as he was, he was also very controlling and he was very coercive. And because I thought at this point that he had helped me so much, and that his help required on a belief, on a lack of resistance from my part, I was too afraid to upset that I thought I needed him really to be all right. And he also because he knew very well what my wounds were, he knew how to activate them, and he knew what to say to remind me of them. And we began a relationship that went on for a very long time, and that was really quite toxic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it also seems like it was quite secret. He did not want to meet your friends. He did not want you to meet his friends. He wanted to keep things. He asks you at one point, do you want a normal relationship or do you want a special relationship.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was quite unusual as well, because at that time in my life, you know, I did feel very wounded. But though I was young, I felt like I had been through a lot for the age that I was, I was in my late twenties. And he sort of thought not really, or at least that's what he said, you know, And and he didn't seem to want to be a part of you know. He had his own rules. He was very independent. I was very independent. I traveled all the time. I remember counting once and realizing that within a six month period, I had not spent more than seven days in the same place. And he traveled and you know, he just I don't even remember how he explained it to me, to be honest, But it was a slow unraveling, you know. And in the beginning it was not the right time, and then later it was the wrong time, and then it was you know, people are jealous, and you know, we have to protect what's special, and then it was all manner of things.
Speaker 1: It was also, you come from a public family. I don't want to be a public Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was also you know, I had done this book. I was talking about people that were still very much empower in Pakistan. They remain empower. The people involved in my father's killing never went to jail for it. They were never punished for it or held accountable. They were promoted and promoted and promoted. And there was a certain amount of attention on me, and you know, in a way there still is. And he didn't really want any part of that. And because I was quite independent myself, and you know, I have my own life and I had friends in different places and things to do, in the beginning, it sort of suited me. I thought, Okay, it's quite spontaneous. This is you know, unusual, and I thought, like many before, me. I thought he'll change, I'll change him, you know. And it's a rotten kind of thinking that a lot of us tend to fall into. And of course he didn't change. I was the one who was very changed by the whole experience, and not good way. He was incredibly manipulative. He gastled me constantly. He had in almost sinister patients that he employed, he weaponized to teach me lessons to keep me in place. And again I had fallen prey to this line of thinking that I think is so damaging. I didn't really understand what an abusive relationship was, but I was pretty sure that it was physical. I was pretty sure that it happened if you were weak, and I was absolutely sure that I was a strong, confident, independent woman and such a thing could not happen to me. And I didn't understand that abuse is not in violence, necessarily, but abuses in the total disrespect of your boundaries. It's in the breaking down of any place in which you might erect a space in which someone can't intrude on. And I also thought that if someone is going to become coercive and controlling with you, they do it loudly and dramatically, and I didn't understand that actually it's it's a quiet process, and it really is a menacing process because it begins very softly, very slowly. He had already made me feel that I needed him, I needed his understanding and his help and his insight in order to be okay. And when I did question him, there was a reaction. There was a consequence. So I had to start making choices like is this worth me saying something about or is he going to get mad? And then if he gets mad, it's going to be a process that lasts three days. Do I want to go through that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I won't say anything. Yea.
Speaker 1: And there was also this, I think something that this variety of narcissists does so brilliantly is create an exquisite sensitivity to their every flicker of a mood.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know that. I mean. One of the things that really I had to understand and recognize, and I hope anyone listening to this will take from me, is that a lot of the reason I didn't fight back against him is because I thought he was special. I thought he had something special that I needed that to feel okay, to feel safe, to feel well. But actually this type of person, emotionally abusive person, is not They're not special. They're generic. They are so basic they follow exactly the same pattern wherever in the world you find them, however old they are, whether they're your partner or your boss, or your parent or your sibling, they are absolutely identical. And they isolate you, you know, whether that's by keeping something secret or making you share a secret. They isolate you. They punish you for reacting, They reward you in small enough ways you know that you need more of the reward, and on and on and on. I just I didn't realize it was being done to me the time, but it very much was. And the gas lighting is just especially pernicious because if someone lies to you, they've got to do a load of work to keep that lie up, you know, They've they've got to constantly have this file running in the background of their lie and keep you from from accessing it. They've got to keep you away from the truth. It's really quite onerous on you know, on them. But when someone is gaslighting you, the onus is on you because you're being told you're imagining things, you're being told you're crazy, you're being totally put off balance of equilibrium, and it's it's it's really damaging, it's really painful because you no longer have any sense of confidence about your own life and your own ideas in your your own place in the world.
Speaker 1: Fatima has many friends, close friends, and a best friend, Allegra, but her relationship with the Man is a secret. Four years into her relationship with the man, Fatima adopts a Jack Russell Terrier puppy she names Coco. She initially adopts Coco, intending her to be a gift for her younger brother, but two things changed that plan. First, Fatima falls madly in love with Coco, and second, conveniently, Coco also falls madly in love with Fatima and doesn't want anything to do with Fatima's brother, and so Coco becomes, in a way, the only witness to her secret relationship. As Fatima writes, she is the only one who knows the full truth about the situation. Because that's how Fatima thinks of this ensnarement, A situation.
Speaker 2: I mean quite intentionally. I think you know, the relationship was constructed the way it was by the man precisely so that I would be rendered helpless. I don't say anything to my friends because I understand secrets also as being necessary. You know, I remember those moments of being a child and being told you can't tell people on the phone where you are, you can't tell people where you're going. You've got to you've got to keep your own little bubble private and protect it. And I am in any way, so it certainly doesn't sound like it a private and guarded person. So for a while I understand his requests, But at the same time I have to admit that I'm quite sure I knew what my friends would have said to me, and I don't want to hear it because of course, And here's where you realize how how generic all these things are. They don't know him like I do, and they don't understand him like I do. So I don't. I want to at points, but I don't, And I do really think I believe number one all of excuses for himself, which he has pretty handy. But I also think he'll change. I also think I can change him. I can I can make this person who is often cruel and often cold and often mean. I just think, well, maybe he's been hurt in life too, and you know, I have to, I have to help him, so I don't. And it's really just my dog who sees what goes on and who at the same time as I'm in this relationship that's very manipulative and very unpleasant. My dog teaches me really about care about what tenderness means, and what it means to love. I mean, to be cruel as a choice. You have to go out of your way to be cruel. You know, to love is natural, It's an instinct. It's an instinct to be kind, you know. And she reminds me of that constantly at this point into my life, when I don't really have any reminders of it at all anywhere else. I think. Also part of the reason I didn't talk about this to friends is because I was ashamed. Is because I knew what was going on. Whether I had the right word for it or not, I understood that I was being treated badly, and I was ashamed because I didn't know how to justify why I was putting up with it. And the man was very, very protective of his own boundaries and his own privacy and space while absolutely disregarding everyone else's. And one of the things he would like to do, is he would want to you know, he would wait hours and hours and hours before agreeing to go out for dinner. You know, so the normal time to go out for dinner would be six or seven, and he would deally deadly for as long as possible, so you were just absolutely at the end of your tether by the time, you know, you reached. And one of the ways he would do this, which was also you know, it's a it's a small thing, but I think it betrays a certain calculation and disregard for other people, is he would he would meander into stores that he had absolutely no interest in and and spend hours in them while the person he's with was hungry or had to go to the bathroom, or you know, had an appointment to get to. And one day we were going to dinner and he wanted to stop in an electronic store which we happened to pass by, and we go inside and there's no one in there, and he finds a singulary like a salesman who is alone in the shop, and he starts to ask him question after question after question, you know, how is the machine made, what kind of decibel? Who was the inventor of the speaker. I mean, he's just going on and on and on, and that's point, you know. He mentions to the salesman that who's Egyptian, that I grew up in the Middle East, and you know, I understand some Arabic and and this salesman talks to me a little bit, and at some point he says to the man and I in English, she says, you know, if you and your wife who wants to recommend something. And the man looks almost offended at this, at this inference, and says, oh, no, no, no, no, no, she's her, No, she's not my wife. And the salesman was confused, you know, I think he wondered, why would it be like did he say something wrong? So he then says, oh, well, okay, your you know, your partner, your your girlfriend, And the man now doubles down and says her, no, no, I'm not I'm not with her. Would you like her? Ask her out? And then walks off. And it was the kind of thing he did, the kind of thing that would stund me stand the other person and then pretend it was nothing. If I was to get upset, he would say, oh, come on, I was joking, Oh, you're so sensitive, do you have to make a big deal out of everything? And it was this salesman who turns to me and in Arabic says, is he serious? And I was so shocked and so thrown off guard that I said to him, I said, no, he's not, He's just awful. And the salesman looks hurt. I mean, the salesman really kind of ends the conversation with the man and he says to me, I would never talk to you that way, you know, and he sort of walks off, shaking his head. And this happened often that cab drivers would tell me, someone on the bus would tell me, someone in the subway, someone walking by.
Speaker 1: In the street would say, what are you doing with this guy? And it was a pretty good question. Now it's twenty twenty, and we all know what happened in twenty twenty. Lockdown puts pressure on everything, especially what was under pressure. Fatima is thirty eight years old. She plans to ride out the pandemic with her best friend Allegra and with Coco. The man is elsewhere, elusive and secretive as always, but the age of thirty eight is a real inflection point for a woman who longs to have children, and Fatima longs to have children. The man has played with her endlessly in this regard, never saying no, never saying yes. She has frozen her eggs an insurance policy of sorts, and the man is not supportive. She's alone in this longing. And then, in a strange parallel in the animal universe, Coco is about to have some puppies of her own.
Speaker 2: I had always wanted a family because mine had been decimated, and I always felt that my father having me really changed his life. It turned it from something that could have been sorrow and tragic to something filled with tenderness and warmth and joy, and I very much wanted the same. And the man, of course didn't want to have children, but instead of just saying that, just kind of made excuses after excuses, and at the same time pressured me to have Cocoa have puppies because he wanted a puppy of cocos and insisted and insisted. And again I think it's it is something to do with boundaries, But it turns out that Cocoa does get pregnant, and just when we have it confirmed, lockdown happens. And I with my best friend go to Oxfordshire to stay with another friend of ours MC in the countryside. And I was angry. I was angry because I think a lot of women my age had been told, you know, to focus on careers, to have, you know, to pursue our careers, to be told. We were told we could, we could have the family and the life and all that later there was time for everything. And now here we were in our late thirties, basically cut off from the world. Where was all this time we were supposed to have. So we all had careers, and we'd all worked really hard at what we wanted to do in life at the exclusion of things like children and settling down, and now we're stuck inside for god knows how long. So I was annoyed. I was annoyed, and I had frozen my eggs again, gas lit really by the man who kept saying to me. When I would say that I wanted to have children, he would turn around and say things like, well, how do you know you can? Maybe you're infertile. Why don't you go check? And I would go and check, and the doctors would say, yeah, you're fine, you can have kids, and then he would say, okay, well, if you can have kids, just wait while are you bothering me? Or you know, if you're so anxious about children, why don't you go freeze your eggs? And then of course I would freeze my eggs and then he would say, well, you can freeze them again. So this was going on in the background, and Coco has this pregnancy. It doesn't look anything like a real pregnancy should. But I don't know anything about dogs and pregnancy or humans and pregnancy at that point, and it's lockdown so no one will see us. And I did what we all did, you know. I read the books. I spoke to friends who'd had litters, and I was as prepared as I could be. And the night that Coco goes into labor, something immediately goes very wrong. And she doesn't have a puppy. She basically has just pop that is deformed. I mean, it's just skeleton, it's it's not it's really dead before you know it's even born. And we go back and falls from the ved to the house to the vet to the house, and I have to do a lot of it myself again because of COVID. But Cocoa comes out and it was so hard to see her in that sort of a situation. But I was assured by everyone bets friends, you know, acquaintances, that dogs don't feel the way we do, that they don't they don't remember things the way we do. But all I could see was that there's a dog who was grieving, who who had everything in her body telling her she was a mother, but she had no baby, and I had to care for Coco over that period after this happened, and I was incredibly moved by her reaction. She would didn't leave me. She slept with me. She wouldn't need anything unless I ate it first. She wouldn't let anyone come into the room where we were. She started to sleep on my hand. She started to sleep on my hand, and if someone came into the room, she would protect my hand. She would sort of pull it away and sit on it, and she started to lick it to clean it. And I realized she was hormonally a father and she didn't have a pup, so she was turning my hand into her pup. You know, dogs, dogs as puppies, they can't they can't do anything for the first two weeks. They can't see, they can't hear, they can't really walk for you know, they sort of squirm, and they can't even expel waste. Their mother has to expel the way simulate the waste production for them. And that's what Coker was doing when she was licking my hand, and the vet on the phone said to me, you've got to take your hand away because she'll never recover. She's just going to keep thinking she has a baby. And he said to me, whatever you do, don't get her to Obviously, I got her a toy because I couldn't. I just couldn't bet jigging over my hand and then leaving her with nothing. So I got this long snake that she carried around. It was like seventeen times bigger than her and she carried it around and would carry it upstairs and downstairs, you know, until she felt okay, and then you know, she put the snake down one day and just never picked it up again. But it was a really extraordinary experience because animals are not that different from us. I don't think, I really don't think, and they feel exactly what we do because they're capable of such enormous tenderness and love. Why wouldn't they feel pain in the same way that we do.
Speaker 1: And so you end up really with this just this crash course in I mean so many things, in maternal grief, in unconditional love, in caring for being the center of Cocoa's universe while this is happening. And then it's the summer and Coco's recovered, and you take her and you go to visit the man's first time you're seeing him since the pandemic started, and you decide you're going to meet in Florence, and this really does feel like what happens there is the beginning of the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's really the first time that I see his cruelty that I've experienced so often turn towards someone else, and it's hideous to see. It's hideous, you know, in the same way that I don't think controlling relationships begin with a loud, dramatic lap. I'm not sure they end with a loud dramatic lap. But seeing him be cruel too, my dog, it really took the mask off for me. I wish I could say I left immediately, though, I mean it was my instinct to. I always wanted to, but I wasn't able.
Speaker 1: To things are never that neat and tidy.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, no, no, never, but it is. It is an eye opener for me because I lose respect for him.
Speaker 1: His behavior in this moment is indeed anything but respectable. It's deplorable. He baits the dog, makes pincers with his fingers, snapping at her, toying with her very nature, and because she is a dog, she snaps back at him. At one point, he hits cocoa. Characteristically, he doesn't own up to this bad behavior. He never did and never does and never will.
Speaker 2: Someone used to imposing their way on others is not going to be accountable. Or let's put it this way, what the man told me was true. You can make your mind forget anything. And in fact, he was exactly the person who taught me how to do that, and he made sure that I used that really often with him. One thing that I remember, I always used to have a fifty pound note in my wallet because I traveled so much, because I was, you know, catching planes and trains and ending up in cities that I didn't know or where I didn't speak the language. And I always had this fifty pound note just in case, you know, I lose my wallet, or I lose my credit card or my ATM card doesn't work. At least I've got enough money to get myself wherever, to the airport, to the train station, to the hotel. And it's also because I am an anxious person, and you know, I've dealt with anxiety all my life, and the man, at every chance he could get, would take that note for me. Why you know, I want to have an ice cream, Well you buy it. Well, I don't have cash, I don't want to put it on a card. Why not, Well, it's just an ice cream. Come on, what's the big deal? What's the big deal? And actually it was a big deal because that was a small talisman for me. It made me feel safe, It made me feel like, you know, in an emergency, I'm okay. And it was a matter of principle for him to take it away from me, to make me uncomfortable. And I think that kind of person essentially takes from animals exactly what they give so freely, which is love, you know, attention, care, compassion. But do they walk them, no, you know, do they go to the ved with them at three in the morning when they're throwing up? Now and all they started to become incredibly clear to me. I stopped doing that thing he convinced me to do and me, which was to believe him. I just no longer believed him after that. And when you don't believe someone, there's quite little you will tolerate from them. And it started to make me see all the other behavior unmasked and he fell apart.
Speaker 1: That's such a full circle what you're describing, because in the beginning it was all about believing him. There were very powerfully good things about believing him that were helpful to you. But in the end, sort of when the scales fell from your eyes, it completely unmasks someone like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. And I think I really do think that part of the reason women find themselves, I mean not just women everyone, but certainly a lot of women find themselves in these kind of situations is because the discourse we're given really is damaging to us. You know, it's that strong women don't end up in these situations. But it's also don't make a scene, you know, be polite, don't make a deal out of something, And it's really it's the opposite. Someone makes you feel uncomfortable, you should absolutely make a rioting theme. And you know, if you're wrong, you can apologize later, but you should make the biggest scene possible if you don't feel good, or you feel uncomfortable, or you feel someone is invading your boundaries or your space, and that's the thing we should tell each other. And I, you know, at the end of the day, I never wanted to talk about this kind of thing, but I did, and I wrote about it because I wish I had come across something like this when I was in this relationship, because it would have snapped me out of the delusions I had so willingly accepted and created. If I had read a book about this abusive sort of nature, it would have forced me to ask uncomfortable questions of myself because it would not have been with the judgment of a friend or a stranger or a It would have been a safe space in which to quietly investigate something.
Speaker 1: And I just, yeah, I didn't come across anything like that. Fatima finally cuts all ties with the Man. Praise the Lord, and Coco eventually has a litter of five healthy puppies. Fatima can't keep them all as much as she'd like to. She keeps two and has a pack of her own now Fatima, Coco, and Coco's pups, Carlo and Tokyo. She's forty one and she's reached a point of thinking, maybe this is okay, Maybe I won't bring children into the world, maybe this is my story. But then one night she's out to dinner with Allegra and she meets an American man and the rest, as they say, is history.
Speaker 2: I end the relationship. Cocoa has another litter of puppies that goes everything goes absolutely wonderfully. I didn't want her to have puppies because I was so horrified by the bad pregnancy that I just thought, I want to avoid this at all costs. And you know, Murphy's law was that the day I visited the vet to talk about having her Spade, she met a very handsome Jack Russell in the park and they have these puppies, and I acted as though I'd had the puppies. You know, I was so excited by it, and I looked after them. I'm basically a VET. At this point, I end the relationship, and I have been so lucky. I mean, I've really truly been so lucky in my life with the friends that I have I've had so much love and support that it's hard not to believe in God because I always had it when I needed it. And so at some point I thought, well, maybe I'll just have another dog. You know, I don't I wanted to keep one of Cocoa's puppies, but of course the man said he wanted one, which I now think he did only not to take the dog, just so i'd be saddled with three Jack Russells. I mean, if you know Jack Russell's, you know, one Jack russell is the equivalent of like three normal dogs, you know, so it's like having yeah, it's like having a four hundred dogs, to have three Jack Russells. They are absolutely without any kind of chill or calm. They're just go twenty four hours a day. So I have these three barking, yapping, jumping Jack Russells. And I really did think. I thought, okay, well I'll just adopt another dog, and then another dog, and then I'll just look after dogs. And I was with my best friend Alegra having dinner, and I was precisely showing her the next dog that I was planning on saving from some very sad story. When the man who I would marry, walked into the restaurant and sat behind us. I really didn't want to go out that night, and the legras sort have dragged me. And I'm so glad that she did. And I make Graham thank her all the time because we wouldn't have met if it weren't for her. And we met. He was traveling, he went back to the States, and you know, I really didn't want to be in another long distance you live far away, you don't live in the same place kind of relationship. And I did he and we got married and quite soon after actually, and we have two little boys, and we have the three dogs, and Graham lives in the perpetual fear that we will have a fourth dog. And I think he's right to live in that fear. And it is a house filled with noise and chaos and a lot a lot of joy.
Speaker 1: Family Secrets is a production of iHeartRadio. Molly's Acre is the story editor and Dylan Fagan is the executive producer. If you have a family secret you'd like to share, please leave us a voicemail and your story could appear on an upcoming episode. Our number is one eight eight eight Secret zero. That's the number zero. You can also find me on Instagram at Danny Rider, and if you'd like to know more about the story that inspired this podcast, check out my memoir Inheritance. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.