Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Selective Ignorance. However, before we get to this week's episode, I want to remind you guys to purchase my book No Holds Barred, a dual manifesto of sexual exploration and power. So feel free to go to your local bookstores preferably queer owned, black owned, or woman owned to support them, but also just click the button on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, or wherever you read your books.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: That is No Holds Barred, a dual manifesto of sexual exploration and power, written by yours truly and my co host of the Decisions Decisions podcast, Wheezy. Make sure y'all get that. Now let's get to this week's episode. This is Mandy B. Welcome to Selective Ignorance, a production of The Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio. Welcome to another episode of Selective Ignorance with me, you girl, Mandy B. Where I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be depressed. This week and this is America, we're getting real tenfoil hat with it. Okay, it's it's the end of the year, so we're lighting up the mood a bit. But we are tapping into the themes of Apple TV's new show Pluribus Jo Caro and asking is sci fi actually not that fictional anymore? Like at this point is it a genre or is it a soft launch for what the government got planned in real life? So robots, surveillance, social scoring system, babes, it's looking less once upon a time and more give it to more election cycles? All right, look at my African American. Then in celebrities say the darness things, including your girl, Hi, Hello, it's me manby b They tried to get me out of here, gotcha, bitch by emailing me some tweets that I had out in twenty eleven and failed miserably. Because guess what, I'm doubling down. Not only do I refuse to get canceled and will I never get canceled. I am letting y'all know that maybe in twenty twenty five, those tweets from fourteen years ago still kind of apply. We need to do better. Meanwhile, Rory from roorya Maul, Kayla Nicole who everyone only knows as the ex of a football player, and Tyler the Creator have gotten kind of put in the hot seat over the last couple of weeks with their tweets, but we are talking about what black Twitter really was, what it meant, and if we could just forgive everybody for their tweets from twenty eleven everything.
Speaker 2: Fuck the fuck up, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is a fun episode leading into the week right before our year and wrap up that has taking place next week, so y'all make sure to tune into that, and then of course we have a cute little Christmas episode ending out the year. Also, listen, fuck your jobs. None of y'all are really working right now anyways, you know what I mean. Everybody is clocked the fuck out. So I thought that we would give you guys some entertaining conversations in your ear while you barely work.
Speaker 2: Fuck your cop schnugger, Yeah, what what is it?
Speaker 1: Working?
Speaker 2: Barely working?
Speaker 1: But what is the goddamn saying?
Speaker 2: Are you hard? Harley? Yes?
Speaker 1: Working harder, hardly working? All of you nigglets are hardly working. Show anyways, y'all don't per usual. I am joined by my super producers, can can Jason Wegas y'all know journalism. Jason, I'm here to bring y'all the facts, the stats and all the things. And then we have o G podcast legend, a king here to what real mean really? Uh if I'm getting too out of bounds, and then y'all welcoming yet again a voice that you guys will learn to get familiar with who will be joining me at the top of next year as well. Really excited to welcome Jason Lee. And we've already talked about it last week. Not that Jonson, Sir Joah, Sir John Job crazy. He's in the building, and I guess, uh, per usual, We're gonna start off with some conversations about how I've been kind of ignorant because baby I have. It is really crazy because I'm actually starting a list as we come into the studio and I'd be having to like hold some for the following episode because I'm like, damn it, bitch, be ignorant a lot, damn what is wrong with your girl? Everything? Maybe, but this one, I actually am not the ignorant one here. I had to call out a friend who was ignorant, and I want to hear y'alls thoughts on if it has ever happened, and pretty much per usual, I'm trying to educate men here on this one. Okay, So anyways, Uh. A couple of weeks ago, I went to a Prize Picks party, and you know Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Throw the bag here? This is not a sports podcast, but we could do it here. I can get listen. I could bet on which niggas look good to say, yeah, they gonna throw the ball real far, like what's up?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, and.
Speaker 3: Do no not.
Speaker 1: The crazy part about it is is what I when I'm out and I'm watching it so crazy to me and my friends are the same type of bitches. So we'll be watching a game, We're not really watching the game, but a fine motherfucker come across the screen because you know, the helmets don't come off very often, but when they do, and then they put the little name at the bottom of the screen, immediately you got to go find then Instagram. That's what I do. And then nine times out of ten they fucking have white wives. But uh, and then I'm like, ooh, not gonna follow him. But if I go down enough rows and they ain't got no no pictures of the wife, no pictures of the girlfriend, I'm hitting that follow button, hitting it like in a couple of pictures. Uh, but yeah. Anyways, Prize pixs high let your girl. So I go to this Prize Pix event. It's really cool, really dope. I did not win the money that I thought I was gonna win. Of course, I go into all gambling thinking, ooh, I got free money, I'm gonna win big and did it, but had a good time. Saw a lot of familiar faces and it was it was cute. So I'm not gonna say the rapper's name because the rapper is in a relationship. But it was very very platonic conversation.
Speaker 2: A relationship or relationship.
Speaker 1: Relationship, which is the only reason why I'm not going to bring it up, because I don't want it to seem like it's something that's not. Anyways, I'm talking to this rapper because we had exchange words at the BET Awards a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Exchange words.
Speaker 1: No, no when I say exchange words. And now I'm probably even gonna say. My mom is a big fan of this rapper, ironically, and so I FaceTime I say, oh my god, my mom loves you so much, like I, do you mind if I FaceTime six? Now they're little, they're little, which is also a part of the story as well, which is crazy. So he's a he's a shorty, but my mom is a fan. Okay, you know what, because I've already let it know how platonic it is, and I don't want him like that.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: It's two sy.
Speaker 4: Favorite puts me on, tell your mom to share a playlist?
Speaker 1: Right the way this is this is a super like Atlanta reunion. So I walk in with Travis Porter and k Camp those are the people, you know what I mean, I know them niggas forever. So anyways, I go here, Suci's there. He's got security, but we catch each other's eye, don't talk, but then we finally talk and he's like, hey, how you been. Finally it's like okay, I was like, hey, what's up? But yeah, he FaceTime my mom, So my mom's forever grateful about that. He's he's one of like the sweetest guys. And I really do like his music because my mama put me on. So anyways, we're talking and we're just catching up, and I was like, you don't live in Atlanta, right, He's visiting for for whatever he was visiting for. In the middle of our conversation, it's just me and him talking. But mind you, at the top of the stairs, mad people walking around, but it's me and him in conversation. My homie walks up in the middle of a conversation. Mind you, I see him. I see him from my eye and I give him not He walk up behind me and give me a hug from the back while I'm talking like Michael RB.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: If y'all don't know the micro look up the white parties.
Speaker 2: This nigga huggs everybody from the back.
Speaker 1: Two arms.
Speaker 5: Why he gives you the very important it don't matter.
Speaker 1: He he like literally is walking behind me and in the middle of my conversation he hugs me from behind. So he's entitled this is you don't even know hold on, so let me tell you.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I'm like, did how long you stay?
Speaker 1: He did his cross to you? But yeah, yeah, he lean into it was it wasn't the crotch at the butt, but it was just like one of hed the butt sticking out because I couldn't see from the back. All I know is shortly after all, right to see like the conversation, but my you and we wasn't talking about nothing, just like well he got going on while so I perturbed. But I'm upset and not because I was trying to throw no pussy at this nigga, nothing like that. But I'm just thinking, what.
Speaker 2: If I was no, no, a little bit.
Speaker 6: You are a professional radio personality podcaster to this woman. You could have been discussing whatever whatever you feel liberally, so.
Speaker 1: As a man and another man, whatever it is, you don't come and make it awkward or uncomfortable or do that ship mind you, just say, this is a whole me said.
Speaker 2: Person you was talking to might interpret that, oh ship.
Speaker 1: Like oh, let me back up. So anyways, we go to to passing each other, go into the bathroom and I let this nigga have it, and it's my homie. I say, hey, come on, I said, don't you ever your motherfucking life mind you, he's not even a nigga that we like that.
Speaker 2: We even we don't even in brace like that.
Speaker 1: I said, Nigga, I said, don't you ever in your motherfucking life while I'm talking to any other man, because it's really a man, particularly while I'm engaging in conversation with another man, come up first, off from behind, but also make your presence be known like that and interrupt in exchange that's happening between me and another nigga, because first off, you don't know what the conversation was. You don't know who this nigga is to me, but you also don't know the conversation, and your presence interrupts that. And do you know what his first response was?
Speaker 2: But I know your type.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that that was anything because he's short, because to see is on the shorter side and it's so.
Speaker 7: Literally that's good on his part.
Speaker 1: So because this nigga wasn't six foot, you felt entitled to come interrupt or make your presence be known in a conversation where it wasn't warranted, and so we literally had to have the whole conversation because he didn't see the problem with what he did. Apparently he brought this scenario to multiple people and they all said, nigga, you dead ass wrong. So I say this to say for any but not only that, this is one of those universal things men listening. If a woman that you know is engaging into a conversation with another man, regardless of what their relationship is, you making your presence be known by coming and embracing her in that moment is dead, ass ignorant is fun, and it's wrong, like because again men see that as a territorial thing, as if he's doing something wrong, even though he wasn't. Bro, we were talking, We were having a conversation. Mind you wanting him to come on a radio want it? Like, nigga, what are you in Atlanta for how long? Because I'd love to get you on my ship. And then he come over and embrace me. And now this nigga feels like, oh, I don't cross the boundary. I shouldn't be talking. Let me back off. And so I had to tell him that, but I was like, how do you not know this? So I didn't want to make this announcement to any nigga who.
Speaker 2: Is like, wait, what's the problem? Bro?
Speaker 1: If a woman is engaging in conversation with any man, it don't matter. If that's her coworker, it don't matter. If it's just a stranger, it don't matter if it's it's a colleague.
Speaker 2: Do not or some nigga you think she don't like, or nigga that you don't.
Speaker 1: Think she likes, because you don't think that's her. Do not come over and insert yourself into the that's crazy.
Speaker 7: If you do a Michael Rubin from the back and you see somebody like you have you have to you have to like stick and stay.
Speaker 1: You have to you have to be like, oh this is my pe. No, no, you join the conversation. That's no, no, no, no. That's even worse. That's even worse. You don't see Michael, you don't. You don't embrace it from the back and then stay into a conversation that you're not a part of.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, if you have the audacity to do a Michael Rubin, you've got to plant you can't even worse.
Speaker 1: Again, that means you are you are putting your your scent into it. Unless unless you are my nigga, and unless you are on some like insecure as shit and we are together and I am in a room speaking to someone that might intimidate you, make you feel uncomfortable or you feel like you have to include yourself. Cool, But if you are just a friend of if you are just a male counterpart male, you don't insert yourself into a space between a woman and another.
Speaker 6: Man because it's a violation on multiple fronts, right, all the violation.
Speaker 2: The first is like.
Speaker 6: You yourself as the person being accosted by this hug, like you know what I'm saying, So like, hey, that's the first thing that stands like paramount.
Speaker 2: But then the other part of it till you spoke to is like.
Speaker 6: We men were in social situations, like we understand how things go and like whether your ego can deal with it or not. Like be in a room with a lot of other men. There's rich niggas, there's powerful niggas. There's niggas who might be on your quote unquote level. There might be all kinds of situations going on. You don't want to be the weird guy.
Speaker 7: Facts.
Speaker 2: Also, I know a lot of women. I'm friends with a lot of women.
Speaker 6: I really can't name you a single woman and he's a woman who to your point, some women you don't even embrace like that whatever. But all the women that I know that I hug, I can't really name you one of them that I would hug from the.
Speaker 1: Back unless you ate my ass, Hug me at the back, hug the bitch from the back, unless you work. Yeah, like that even an etiquette of hugs, which is why both of y'all asked, was it both, here was one, here was the church hug was Yeah, it was from the back, which made it egregious. Nonetheless, that could have been.
Speaker 6: If you what if you was talking Todd, I mean, whoever? And who are you emotional intelligence? Like I don't have it? Who are you say?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, but I mean if it's your lady.
Speaker 6: That's a whole un saying that in the moment we're talking to hit him.
Speaker 1: Who are you determine who's my who's my type or not? Like, yes, everyone knows that, don't give you but that. I was so like, how old is this nigga? In his thirties? He know better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and he asks other people. That just shows that he didn't know.
Speaker 1: Referencing last week. These niggas be knowing better, they just don't choose to do better. They just ignore and don't give a fuck. And when I tell you, I and I ain't never talked to this nigga like that because he's cool, Leslie, I said, don't you ever in your motherfucking life you see how many kurtseperds I'm using. I was so upset.
Speaker 6: Of course, he was probably how long have you known him?
Speaker 1: Actually met him? This year?
Speaker 6: So here's what that. Here's what that is, right?
Speaker 2: What is that? What that is?
Speaker 6: That is him taking an opportunity what he thought back what he thought was an opportunity to be like, oh man, and then he thinks the water yeah yeah, yeah, response would be warm.
Speaker 1: She thought she was gonna lean back into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was him.
Speaker 6: That was the passes aggressive, Like all right now, if she leaning ass back into me, she liked me.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I got.
Speaker 1: A niggas he over He might be right at six.
Speaker 6: Because niggas fish and niggas fish in various ways. Sometimes I can fish by saying a compliments. Sometimes I can fish by doing it a chore.
Speaker 2: Don't fish? How about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, fishing physically That nigga was fishing though he was because.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. Difference between flirt and sexual assault, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah about it?
Speaker 6: Like even if you even if there's a person that you regularly embraced, what if you didn't want to be touched right now? Like you know, I did it and I can't see I mean conversation, I mean conversations.
Speaker 2: So you just take it upon yourself to that you can't do that, bro.
Speaker 1: Mind you I'm in a room and I'm looking around and I love it. There's no bodies. I have no bodies in this room. There's not one in this room that I fucked. So immediately, who got the nerves?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who is this? Right?
Speaker 5: Ain't none of these niggas, none of mine?
Speaker 1: I had his read coming, mind you, none of them are in my rolodicts in this whole room, right. So I'm just like, why are you laughing?
Speaker 2: You caught it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you feel me. That's a T shirt, you know. But yeah, I was like, did the nerve the dacity? Because listen, if it's one thing a man gonna have, he can't no money, no job, little dick whatever, he ain't got much, but he gonna have the audacity.
Speaker 2: Pocket full of audacity.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Anyways, I'm glad to know that y'all are mature enough to know that you don't just hug bites from the back. That's a standard in conversation in the presence of another man.
Speaker 6: And to be honest with you, like I never had to be told that, like that's not a thing, that that's not really a lesson that you.
Speaker 2: I never had to learn that lesson. I want to sit you down and tell you about I'm gona tell you by somebody what you can't do now.
Speaker 6: Just you have some level of social intelligence, of emotional intelligence, you just know, Okay, this is gonna you know what to be.
Speaker 1: Fair, to be fair, and I will say it, and it's gonna sound and it's stupid, probably gonna make y'all little bad. I don't care. Everyone's still not diagnosed yet. So social cues are like we talk about what is it? Everybody? Like common sense ain't so common the social cues. And we could blame the pandemic a little bit because people had to be inside for some time, but also they weren't inside in Atlanta, so social cues should be better here than anywhere else. Y'all niggas didn't have social It.
Speaker 6: Should be for the record, as the longest standing in Atlanta resident in this room, my ass was inside.
Speaker 2: I don't know nothing about.
Speaker 6: What the niggas, the super bars, niggas, all the videos.
Speaker 1: COVID was saying hi to everybody, but yeah to me, social cues.
Speaker 6: And that is that, you know, It's funny, like like if you introduced me to a friend of yours. Right, the first thing I'm gonna do is reach my hand out nine times at the ten they said no, I give h only say that because I believe because of how I present it, because they're like, no, that's respectful, right, you know, come give hugs, right.
Speaker 2: That should be it. Yeah, and then he should have.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I would have if I'm him, I would have played off to the side.
Speaker 2: Wait till you finished talking?
Speaker 6: Man, what upsy? Even in the front facing greeting instead of that?
Speaker 1: Are you saying that though I only extend hugs to women, if I'm meeting a man, they're getting a hand out, like I don't like even if I'm being introduced, I don't embrace men. I embrace women to let their guard down. Know, like girl, I'm friendly bit yeah, but men I never embraced with a hug upon introduction.
Speaker 6: Most nine times out of ten, I meet a woman, send your hand, You get a shake if if from that shake, and then y'all have a good conversation or y'all are kicking of the bunch of a group of people and y'all have gotten to like warm up to one another.
Speaker 2: Most times, then you get the hug.
Speaker 6: Crazy ye be weaving through Florida bronze. But that there's a two part violation though, because the first violation is he shouldn't even came up.
Speaker 2: In the should have saw you got excited and be like, oh cool, soon she done with that, like I'm gonna go say what's up to her whatever.
Speaker 6: So that's the first thing, But the second part is, yeah, you definitely like you can't just.
Speaker 1: Anyway shout out to tescy uh and and him being my mom's favorite rapper. I guess I'll ask the room before we dive in. Did any of y'all do anything ignorant over the last week or so?
Speaker 2: Hmm?
Speaker 1: I love a good clean life man ignorant of the butt. No, did y'all Did y'all do anything ignorant or that y'all feel like could be perceived as ignorant?
Speaker 2: Ignorance is and an eye to beholder.
Speaker 1: Please chop please, No, I don't think.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel like all the ignorance ship that I do is like like talking about people like okay, yeah, the good old fashion.
Speaker 1: To talk about who you cursed out and what your thoughts are on certain drivers.
Speaker 2: It's okay, okay, So here's a story.
Speaker 6: And this isn't even my ignorance, but this is like a very ignorant thing that I that I saw in real time.
Speaker 2: But I was like, damn, that really happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've.
Speaker 6: Only been arrested one time in my life. Oh okay, all right, game is the game?
Speaker 1: Actually wait no, we're equal. I forgot the Nelson.
Speaker 2: Well technically I got arrested twice in forty eight hours. But it's for the.
Speaker 1: Same cheese, the same package.
Speaker 6: Same yeah, same same, same same. Later that's like you get some head. That shit don't count.
Speaker 2: So that's another so as a body or yeah, head counts as a body, that's not a body. The body is a body.
Speaker 1: We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: No, oral sex is sex, but that's not a body.
Speaker 1: If you walk into the room and a nigga can say her mouth has been around my fucking dick to anybody, that means that's not. That's not.
Speaker 6: But if you ask somebody count your bodies, you're not counting, like you're not. You're not adding that into the list. You're adding the niggas who anyway, we're getting off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah this same decisions, say.
Speaker 6: Decisions, right, Yeah, I got to invite me to another part. But so no, so I get arrested. We're on our way to the jail. We get to a red light downtown Atlanta. There's a bunch of one way streets everything there.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 6: We get to the red light, we see headlights coming towards us. Cop is looking at that.
Speaker 2: We're all in it.
Speaker 6: Had the same thought at the same time, like why they coming at us? It's a one way street. Cop task partner and says, I bet.
Speaker 2: You twenty dollars day Asian Yo, yo. I'm in the back of the car, like.
Speaker 1: You should have started negotiating there.
Speaker 2: Let me go. Look, I bet my bell agent.
Speaker 6: Look the cops, white cops, two white cops, bet you twenty dollars Asian bet boo.
Speaker 2: Pull up on them.
Speaker 6: Car full of like six Asian folks in the car. This about it.
Speaker 2: But we just don't do that.
Speaker 6: What's that We could call it out? We do what we call out. We can, Yeah, who's committing the offense?
Speaker 1: Special talent I have. We literally do that a lot all the time, and I have a I have a bit of a problem with it. Y'all know the video I sent y'all this week, you know, the one in the chat so that Okay, I came across. I came across the video and it pissed me off because I think it's what we were we were talking about it with and we'll get into the tweets later. But in terms of how we are also racist against other we can't be racist but prejudice, bius, bias towards other other ethnicities. Bro, why do we be shot when they do it to us? And this is so here we are So there's a clip that I saw and it is yeah, can we just well, yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: That amongst our own to That's that gotta be a nigga, that's a straight nigga.
Speaker 6: But yeah, and you know, I'll draw a very thin line right the ship that we be biased about toward most people.
Speaker 2: Don't be crimes. No, no, we mean we mean biased.
Speaker 1: I want you to watch this, watch this.
Speaker 7: Video English ship Mexican.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me the difference between Valentino and Patino?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 2: Honestly, they kind of both taste the same. Ones made here in the United States ones made in Mexico. I mean basically they taste the same. Honestly.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you excuse me?
Speaker 2: Are you black?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: But he put out that.
Speaker 1: Literally you speak first off, the question do you speak English? Is crazy? And then you're Mexican, right, And then it's hot sauces of two different like clip bro to me and she just asked it, like so again selective ignorance. So you can walk up to a Mexican ask them if they even speak English first, then ask them about these two hot sauces and be like, Okay, thank you. But if someone else walks up to you and asks what you perceived to be a racist thing because they're asking, but they're knowing that you should be knowledgeable because you're black, how the fuck you mad at that?
Speaker 5: But he actually matter, by the way, by the way, by the way, if y'all are listening audio only, when he asked, hey, you're black, right, he's holding a Jiffy box of corn bread.
Speaker 2: And a watermelon. That's what I'm saying that, to be.
Speaker 1: Fair, would black people I have the most knowledge around corn bread and watermelon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He gave. He gave great knowledge. He was able to explain the difference between the top of fair Enough, if I go to a black person, I'm gonna what are the races can make cornbread? What are the races associated with watermelon? So if he had a question about corn bread and watermelon, what makes a racist? Then he went up to you're black, right.
Speaker 6: I think if he if she had to pulled out some avocados, and then it would have it would have been equal. He pulled out head, I'm gonna knock all this out, and I got feel like, let's everybody eat the hot sauce.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: It was a skit to be in terms of like how we want people to treat us, we somehow get a pass to be completely ignorant, not not selectively. We believe we get the past to be completely ignorant with every other race in our biases and their stereotypes. But heaven forbid someone else of another race has the stereotype about us, and so like it's one of those like do all the others?
Speaker 8: Is you?
Speaker 1: Like done onto yourself? I don't understand why we get the past to be just completely ignorant to all other I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I would ask a Mexican that they different.
Speaker 1: Bullshit, bullshit you just said. But the avocado, I'm walking up to it as.
Speaker 2: It relates to what the what is the one of one? Well, you know, I'm thinking about it now.
Speaker 6: My selective ignorance came out on seeing it one time, not that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 1: What you was ignorant on CNN is representing us.
Speaker 6: You were ignorant, and I could have there was a way to me to avoid this ignorance, but I didn't didn't think about it until after the fact, Right, what was.
Speaker 1: Your ignorance caught by everyone?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, it was only caught about one person. It was so we were on there talking about bad Bunny in the Super Bowl. Bonney shout out to Benny Benito, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, shout out to also his change in aesthetics. I didn't know that bad Bunny was Bad Bunny who he is now because he's fine. But when he came out, he looked real uptown, uh Washington. I was like, this is the same.
Speaker 6: So we're talking about him on the Super Bowl and they came to me on the panel and I was like, you know, all these Magga people are mad at that he's going to be not speaking English whoo woop the woop.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yo, I hope none of.
Speaker 6: These people will get access to tacos or guacamole or none of that. Ship Like, fuck him all you don't want if you can't, if you can't support this man.
Speaker 1: You put your Mexican.
Speaker 6: So I posted the clip on my Instagram and I don't think nothing of it. And he wasn't tight because we know each other, but it was still funny. When he said I was like, oh, ship, He's right. I could have said a different food, so you could have had bad knee.
Speaker 2: I could have.
Speaker 1: Tacos Mexican all the way.
Speaker 6: I'm not Utrian, but not even a little bit. That was so so Rook of Justice League. Justice League Rook hit me in the comment. He was like, bro, we're Puerto Ricans, like, we don't eat that ship. And I was like, you know, point that out, to point that out of all people.
Speaker 1: Because to be very fair, if if Jason decides to make hen he gonna be real American and say Taco Tuesday, we do a taco thing that I'm sure him and his wife just make like it's given. It's given. They buy the taco bell box. Well, you're not making homemade corn tortillas. They said you are hard shell. The soft shell were getting.
Speaker 6: But when he said that, I was like, damn, I could have said a million different food. But that was your but that was that was my ignorance. I was just like, ah, very Spanish people, that that was the that was and I thought about it. I was like, then that was ignorant.
Speaker 1: That was like me saying, well, sure makes more sense when I call them the Espanios because they do all speak Spanish. At least that's a common thing. All right, I would listen, I didn't get so many people mad from last week. So it's Spaniols. That's what I'm going into. And then you know what, it also includes the Spaniards. Okay, Europe the euro Spaniards, but colonizers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to say this is a white people. Yeah, you spinards, damn.
Speaker 1: Historically accurate colonized colonizes. And if you'll haven't, if y'all haven't heard talked about the colonizers yet, please go back to our Thanksgiving Day episode because we give y'all all the history on the Americas. Anyways, we're gonna put on our tenfoil hats for this is America. Don't got to sleep in on them, because I think we're all a little fed up and tired of talking about the orange cheeto in the office. And as we round out the year. I want to give y'all some good television to watch because again, y'all aren't working hard. You're hardly working. So this is normally the time of year where yeah, you got to spend time around family, but you get to like wind down and watch TV. And me and John luckily had our We made y'all get into the show. But if you haven't yet, and spoiler alert, but not so much. We are talking about the Apple TV news show Pluribus, brought to you by the team that made Breaking Bad and Better Calls saw. You know what's crazy about that? Either my sister. My sister has a sea that is problematic and ignorance the show. Y'all enjoying this as a listening experience, you know, when the main character gets.
Speaker 2: Not what happens.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you guys a brief synopsis, but for for what I wanted to do with this was kind of dig into the themes to talk about where we stand on certain things such as AI, the idea of world peace, UH agency as a human and what humanity even means. But the show follows Carol Starks, who is a successful fantasy romance author. But it's really dope because she leaned into heterosexual romance as a lesbian. So yes, if you are a Christian you fucking hate the gays, this might not be for you. But she survives an alien virus outbreak, which kind of looks a lot like the coronavirus, y'all. It impacts the entire world now for whatever reason, y'all know, just like normally in most sci fi films, there's people that outlive shit or are the cure for all things. When this takes place, there are eleven people total in the world who do not get infected with this virus. Now, the show pretty much follows Carol, who is one of the eleven who are not affected, and she has a huge issue with what's going on. The tagline for the show is the most miserable person on Earth must save the world from happiness.
Speaker 2: And I want to add this part add to it. The virus isn't a virus like the Last of Us or.
Speaker 6: Zombies essentially zombies kind of zombies, but it's a it's a social virus that essentially when you catch when you catch this virus, you get a choice of either joining the hive mind joining all of society.
Speaker 2: Kind of, well, you don't get well.
Speaker 6: The only reason I say they don't get a choice is because the woman, without going too far to it ahead of time, the woman said when Helen passed, she said, Helen joined us.
Speaker 2: Before she passed, So, like you catch it.
Speaker 6: And they haven't explained this yet, but the way I'm taking it based on what they showed us, is that as you are dying, quote unquote dying, you get an option of either either you're going to be part of this collective state of everyone, or you're going to die off as an individual.
Speaker 1: Which is interesting because I mean, we've talked about zombies on here and I was like, bitch out running them, But this is, this is this is essentially different, right, didn't. It's a very different take on uh an apocalypse essentially, And so there's so many themes that are brought about by this, and I'm not sure where we want to take it first, Jason, I know that we had some questions. Do we want to just start with whether if you had the option and mind you, let me tell you essentially what is being proposed here. It is a state of pure happiness and content, so you're not sad, you don't really have feelings whatever, you want to do. Essentially, is is all for the betterment of society, and everything is good. There's nothing bad, there's no crimes anymore, no one has an ill thought to do something wrong.
Speaker 2: Right, It's a net positive society.
Speaker 1: Yes, there we go. So let's start there in exchange you for losing yourself, your identity, your individuality, what makes you different, because essentially everyone is the same. Now everyone has the same goal. Everyone just lives happy. There's no no one cries, no one's mad, no one's angry. Everyone just you just want to help. Literally to the point where, let me tell you this, they don't even believe in killing so much so to where you can't fish, you can't step on an end. Nothing intentionally that would cause harm to any.
Speaker 6: Life has value. In the value of that life supersedes everything else.
Speaker 1: Yes, now, with this, would you guys, decide to connect to the hive mind where your thoughts and feelings are transparent and aligned with everyone, or would you would you not want to do that and filter out?
Speaker 2: Sign up?
Speaker 1: Sign you up to be happy.
Speaker 6: Because from my standpoint, the way I look at it is is that that in this individualistic life that we live, we're all trying to chase that happiness.
Speaker 2: Happiness, we're trying to achieve peace.
Speaker 6: We're trying to achieve happiness in ourselves individually, and hopefully if everyone has that same goal, everyone can move in that.
Speaker 1: Gay I think that's my problem, Like with what you just said, though that's fair, everyone doesn't what makes people happy or not the same? Well, happiness is not subjective, Well, happiness.
Speaker 6: Is Happiness is sugg subjective based on the fact that we have choices, we can make individual choices.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: If that, if that idea of making individual choices is removed, then there is nothing else but happiness.
Speaker 2: Like the the philosophy of life is suffering.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's Plato Socer I don't know one of them niggas said that shit, But like life is suffering, right, Like we all endure things, and we're all working through our lives, through our professional and our personal relie relationships and what we decided to spend our time on to find a place that gives us peace, that actually gives us the happiness that we want, and we're pretty much suffering outside of those things.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting because even in terms of how you consider suffering right, like mind you, grieving is something that we know we're all going to deal with. But to me, happiness a lot of times comes from achieving the things that were hard, that were hard to do, that were hard to do right. So, completing college one of my most prideful moments, even though now not so much because student debt, but Sally made a suck my dick from the back. The idea that I completed it though it was hard is what brought me happiness.
Speaker 2: Would you miss that though?
Speaker 1: Would you miss the hard the process? Would miss the hard? I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Done, That's my point. I wouldn't miss suffering.
Speaker 6: If I was just given happiness, I wouldn't be like, damn, I wish you could be fucked up so.
Speaker 2: That I could be happy.
Speaker 1: That's but that's how you know what happy is?
Speaker 2: Right? I think the contrast of it, and it's controlled happiness.
Speaker 6: But it's only but it's all. We only know that from our perspective because we have choices to make the only reason that there is the suffering because we can make individual decisions, and you make that decision, it might go left, it might go right.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you the other question. There was eleven people. Would you want to exist as yourself now in a world where everyone else has this virus?
Speaker 2: So the Diabat character, yeah, so oh oh yeah he when that.
Speaker 1: When they put it out. But you're just calling him Indian.
Speaker 6: Because you know what I'm thinking about. No, I'm putting him related to the mother and the son.
Speaker 1: This man is just from.
Speaker 2: It could be like, Yeah, when the nigga pulled up in Air Force one, I was like, this, he got hold on.
Speaker 1: He got it with with hose.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, he got it.
Speaker 1: I think I think that was an interesting part. So y'all, maybe episode two or three, there's an episode two that's.
Speaker 6: When it really says this. Episode one sets you up for the premise of what Yeah, episode to let.
Speaker 1: You know, gives you the deep dive to where this is happening. Because because a lot of the other people that she's able to meet, she wants to meet with the ones that speak English and very American.
Speaker 2: Very we're gonna talk about it reminded me.
Speaker 1: She reminded me of like, yeah, only because just so y'all know, I'm going to cure us out for Christmas and the most let me, I'm bringing up another ignorant thought of mine. I love Aruba so much because the first language is English. Same for curious out it's the neighbor. I personally, I hate traveling internationally where niggas speak another language first, because then there's like accents, I gotta decipher ship and I'm like, oh, where do they speak English? That's where I want to go. I want to go enjoy another country, but I want it's convenience, very American American.
Speaker 2: No one could argue that ignorance and American is.
Speaker 1: So she sits with these people and essentially she feels like there is a problem with what society is looking like now. She's like, oh my god, it's up to us to save the world. And they're looking at.
Speaker 7: Her like I'm good, granted, but they still have loved ones around.
Speaker 1: They do still have loved ones around. She is by herself, she's sort of like in like a purgatory. But the French guy comes in and he's he's viewing this from a lens that takes advantage to me of what happiness looks like because he's leaning in more so individualistic, because whatever he wants he's asking for. Because that's another part of the virus. These people don't say no, They give you what you want, and so he has a harem of whores. He blew in on the Air Force one jet.
Speaker 2: We have the nuclear football. What are you doing? Are they benefiting? Is he benefiting?
Speaker 6: They told Carol that they're still trying to figure out how to fix get them.
Speaker 2: So they can make that decision.
Speaker 1: So does he And it's like clearness. They're trying to figure out how she can get infected with the virus.
Speaker 2: Want her to be right, so that would apply to the other, to the other.
Speaker 6: They're all trying to figure out that enjoyment that he's experiencing right now might be a further down the line.
Speaker 2: In the last series, it was.
Speaker 1: Crazy because is also in that in that same scene where he clearly wants to have sex.
Speaker 2: With the girl.
Speaker 1: And so for me as a woman, it was really interesting to tap into the idea that a woman couldn't say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exact part. Cont part of it was very do you feel like whatever he asked her? Did he asked what's her name?
Speaker 6: Did you feel like you know I was Did I do something to make you She said no? And she no, She didn't say no, She said affection is always welcome.
Speaker 2: It was wow wow.
Speaker 1: And I think that as a society where women have now the right to say no, seeing that as something that they brought into the script was really interesting because it removes the choice from from women all over, like like that's essentially.
Speaker 7: What they did a good job of making it because like the man figured out her name and the woman didn't figure out the woman's had no right. Yeah, so it's like it made it murky where it's like he put in like, yeah, he made an attempt at connection.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, he was investing in them as people. She didn't. She didn't.
Speaker 1: Weird because she sees them kind of like how we've perceived zombies to be zombies are not people, right, And so it was really interesting because yeah, these people are operating just in a different way of which we view society. I will say, as you watch this, you have so many themes. So there's the themes of autonomy, what makes you human? But one of my favorite scenes reminded me of where we're going with technology and AI. She goes into Sprouts and it's completely empty and she calls the people because you can call them, and she's like, yo, I just want to grocery shop, and literally she's like, well, whatever you want, we can deliver it straight to your house. So it reminds me of this era that we're going to with Amazon right now, but also with me. I get anxiety about going to the grocery store. I don't want to go to a grocery store. I like all of my whatever I want being delivered straight to my door.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: And you see her almost break down, where apparently going to a grocery store and walking down the aisles is a part of humanity, is a luxury is a part of again, maybe remember when we talked about what things we would miss if the world changed. She almost broke down, was like, no, all I want to do is walk down the aisles and buy my groceries. And it was really interesting to consider that as a luxury of humanity and just being human because so many of our things are being automated. AI is coming in taking over, and I do say it, what's crazy is where I love all of my groceries to be delivered to my door. One of the things I hate the most is sitting down at a restaurant and having to order my meal through a fucking iPad and then I still got a tip of bitch, no one talk to me scanning, I'm wiping, I'm adding what's being taken off. It's completely removing the the interaction, but then at the end it's still asking for a tip. The ship just came out like there was no interaction for what I wanted my order to be in the exchange of a person.
Speaker 2: Well, that scene, and there's a lot of stuff I want to I know, we don't have like forever to talk.
Speaker 1: We can talk because I like these I like dissecting, and to me.
Speaker 2: That's what makes this show interesting. And so like, if you're like a.
Speaker 6: If you're want of these niggas who like if you like a Drake fan who doesn't like here we Go, if you want of these niggas on podcast mics that talk about like they want to think about no song, I don't.
Speaker 2: Want Like this probably is not for youau.
Speaker 6: This is this show is like there's a lot it makes you think sociological and think in a way that not just the plot of it. Yeah, there's a mystery of like what's going on, but the thinking is really the sociological experiment of what this show represents right. But in that scene, the thing that I thought was the most interesting is that Carol is anti all of this shit, right, She's anti everything until that thing can't get her what she wants. And when she and not only does she get what she wanted, she got it immediately. She said, oh how long? Will I just need to know when I need to come back to the store and the late and Zosha was like, come back from be there in a second. And but this is where it's like one of the themes here is like capitalism versus socialism. Right, the whole community Carol said, I want this, I need this, I need food. The whole community instantly pulled up two hundred people, popped out trucks, and put that whole store together in a couple of hours, and now Carol had everything she wanted.
Speaker 1: So it's like it reminds me of the hypocrisy and individualism that we experience with like, Okay, you want to stand for something, right, but as soon as it kind of impacts and y'all know this is me, Actually I'm very much hypocrit Like goddamn, yeah, we blacks and we boycotton boycotton target. But when mtvs. Are a little less than they are everywhere else. I'm gonna just go get this because I want to save somebody.
Speaker 2: Because I had this money is fine.
Speaker 1: I need this and it's something that's working for me in a moment that I'm supposed to be standing for something. So Carol, do you stand for something but benefit from it when it matters to you? Only because yeah, you're you're kind of contributing to what the system is right now, but you're supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be fighting against right against it.
Speaker 6: And she's the whole thing is she's fighting all of these She's fighting all of these dualities right like even in like Carol is a miserable person, but she writes fantasy for other.
Speaker 2: People to be happy.
Speaker 6: She's miserable when this all thing, when this whole thing happens, these eleven people are all happy, but she goes like I call her Karen Carroll because that at that at that conversation on Air Force one telling them what they need to do, and she's trying to tell the Indian LA, that's not your child.
Speaker 2: She's like, bitch, that is my child, Like who the are you?
Speaker 1: I also really love that in terms of and so far we where we're at in the show, we haven't met the other people because they don't speak English.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I really love how in the Karen way, she's the only white woman and everyone else for people of color, everybody else, and she's now trying to tell all of these people of color they need what they need to do because what she thinks is the right way, and every which way they think is the wrong one.
Speaker 2: What would make her happy, happy, should make should make happy?
Speaker 1: Twist into it.
Speaker 7: I would I agree with what your but I also think that she feels that way because her life pre the virus, it was a microcosm of that, right, Like she was she was trapped where like her fans of her book writing, they were the virus like zombies. Right, she was doing something that she didn't enjoy because, like Mandy said, like she's a lesbian, she's writings, she was closeted, right, So it's like so then when it happens, it's like on a huge scale that she sees it around the world and she I think, she's like, this is my life. This is a bit like we have to stop this. Everybody the world can't be like what I'm suffering from. And I think that's so I think, like what we've seen in the early parts of the show, it's like she's clearly traumatized and she's seeing that and and but the casting and the way that they set it up really makes it look problematic because she's the white woman who wants to speak to the English speaking people.
Speaker 1: But I think it's I think it's interesting.
Speaker 7: And there's like so many overlapping kind of themes of like choice and technology and even like the idea of.
Speaker 1: Not an standing the consequences of your asks.
Speaker 2: That part I wanted to get to too, or even of your actions.
Speaker 6: Like the show is called pluribus, right, and the essence of that is out of many one plurbis one. And so the idea is that everything that we do as individuals affects the world, right, And this has been talking about on it Really it made me think about mister Morale and the Big Steppers, and it made me think about Most Death Black on both Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, maybe it made me thinking of Matrix.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 6: Most Death Black on Both Sides came out in nineteen ninety nine. There's a song on an album called Fear Not of Man, And in that song and I think it's in the beginning of the song, before he even starts rapping, he's talking and he's like, people always asking me about hip hop, where's hip hop going? Where's hip hop going? And his response is, hip hop is going wherever we're going. If we happy, hip hop is happy. If we're healthy, hip hop is healthy. If doing the right thing, hip hop is doing the right thing. It's about us reflecting the world. This is what we this is what we want to do, you know, be the change you want to see, that type of thing. Mister Morale in The Big Steppers is the whole album is based off this guy at car Toole, who's in the album as like Kendrick's therapist, and the whole concept of et car Tole is like one person reflects the society. Each of us individually reflects society. What we're going through, our traumas reflect society. The things that we're trying to change reflect society. And so this whole show is kind of centered around that whole kind of idea. Carol loses her temper, sixteen million people die. She thought she was just losing her temper for herself. It impacted all of these people that she had no idea about didn't really even give.
Speaker 7: A one peer the one Pier gave the example. She was like, my husband was driving driving and did that crash and he died, and you thought because of you.
Speaker 6: So like you can point all of these fingers as saying you're doing this, you're doing this, you're doing this. You are part of the problem too, which is crazy because being an individual, well, and we've.
Speaker 1: Talked about that in terms of climate change, global warming, we've talked about it in terms of where you purchase your clothes, because if you care about the children overseas that are working for pennies a day, why do you keep buying fast faction the Apple iPhones that we use, like it's the technology, but if it makes your life better. Sometimes again, you don't even view yourself as a part of the problem. You just want to find the bits of happiness, which is also why I call it subjective, right, But again, the things that you're partaking in, you don't understand the harm that it's causing elsewhere. And I didn't actually draw that parallel, but yes, you're very right.
Speaker 6: And so part of the thing is like what as a society, what are we willing to accept for our convenience, warm on sneeds whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Can we go down those lists with us?
Speaker 2: Like, what is one of the.
Speaker 1: Things that you do that you enjoy doing that you know may be causing harm elsewhere?
Speaker 2: Alcohol? Yeah, what do you mean by that? Every weekend I go to a bar.
Speaker 6: Every bar has a parking lot, and all those parking lots have cars in them, and all the people who are in those bars are gonna go get in those.
Speaker 2: Cars and drive away. We a society expect everyone in that bar to drink.
Speaker 6: Either either don't drink it all, drink enough to know your limit, be responsible with this dangerous thing that you have.
Speaker 2: Or call a car and don't get in that car.
Speaker 6: But everyone in there, everyone who's drinking, regardless of whether we think they should be, what their level are, Everyone's gonna get in there.
Speaker 1: I will say, it's such a Southern mindset like it's been. It's been the selective ignorance down here that I hate the most. Because I still don't have a car. I live very New York. Down here in Atlanta, I'd uber everywhere, and when I go out with my friends, you already know I'll make us super nigga, leave your car at home, come park at my house if we're gonna go out, and if you're too lit when we get back to my house, you could say the nights you I'm not getting in a car with niggas who even drink. Even the other day, like, uh, we went out and Crystal had her Tesla, and I was mad as that she came anyways, because when you go out to one place with me, you really end up at three. It's all night, and it's all night thing and we're gonna be drinking everywhere. But literally we got in the car and I was like, and I was like, no, she good. She literally didn't even finish with a boxa soda. That's that was her only drink. I was like, okay, well maybe if we do shots, if we do more than one drink, I'm not getting in the car with you.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing like I've always had, like a I would used to have. Well, I don't really drink. Honestly, most I drink with y'all. By the way, you don't even know meaning it's not an extraordinary mind.
Speaker 1: That night I bought a bottle. We would out bought a bottle these we closed. It wasn't legend. Shout out, shout out, this was this was way weekend up music. After the second After the second night, we end up going out to my favorite spot, m c K. We get a table, my friend buying bottles and buy bottles because I said, no, we need a table. We go out. Baby, we had a tom But I'm not gonna lie drink way too much.
Speaker 2: But again it's like drink way too much.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing about it. But I'm saying, but the O, but the hog. But the bigger, the bigger picture of it is is that society we've accepted that.
Speaker 2: Some people are going to get d u y. Some people are gonna die every single year.
Speaker 6: Having a good time, families, kids, dogs, People are going to die and d UIs every single year. Guaranteed me, every single day. Society is not ever going to say we're going back to prohibition. If you had a vote to say we're going back to removing alcohol, it will unanimously get shot down by everybody because no one's going to give up their alcohol. And how many people die of DUIs, Well, what's that number that you're willing to accept. Charlie Kirk got himself in a lot of trouble after he died because he said that comment about the Second Amendment.
Speaker 2: He said, I think it's worth it to have this price for certain people to die.
Speaker 6: And people are mad about that, And I understand it because it's a different topic a little bit and people are sensitive to that concept. But what he was saying what I'm what I'm what I'm hearing when he says that, is that that doesn't just apply to guns.
Speaker 2: That applies to a lot of shit.
Speaker 1: Just the value proposition against against.
Speaker 2: Decisions, And like, how many people? What is that number?
Speaker 6: Like the same way you say everybody has a price, every we're all accepting a certain number.
Speaker 2: What is that number of people that something to be happy that we like? What's your happiness for us? Do we want to do?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: And what is that number? Is it fifty thousand people? Is it one hundred thousand people? Is it five million?
Speaker 6: The number the number that we don't have to know about, because that's why we're going the dog and we go and bodies think we know about the factories, but we still go and shot and go and do this.
Speaker 2: You don't, you don't, you don't leave the store pain, you don't have no you don't leave the store in shame.
Speaker 6: You're not hiding your iPhone. The article ain't in that moment, you're like damn, damn.
Speaker 7: But there's still but there's still a tension within those decisions. And that's what makes like the like the world that we live in versus like the show where there's like it's just it's just all clear from the.
Speaker 1: Gates, everything exactly.
Speaker 7: You don't have to worry about it. What it's like with us like influences like should I buy this or not? Should I have that third drink or not? Are we going to do shots or not?
Speaker 1: And you influences and that is the choice. But this is a way to put it right, Joah. Roughly twelve to fourteen thousand people a year die in alcohol impaired crashes. Would you stop drinking to save if you knew your drink your drinking ability could save twelve to fourteen thousand people a year? Would you stop drinking today?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: See? Okay, Okay? I think and I think that that's the interesting part because when we talk about this idea of world peace and coming together as one in humanity, when we really dig deep into what are what makes us happy and our individualism. It's why I don't believe we can never meet come to a place of world peace because and I love the reality and you being real and the fact that yeah, nah, twelve to fourteen thousand people, I don't know them, niggas. I want to have a drink.
Speaker 2: I want to have this Hennessy.
Speaker 1: It's gonna make me feel Goodah.
Speaker 2: I want this represent real quick for me.
Speaker 1: And I mentioned it earlier Fast Fashion as mine. For sure, y'all have heard me be ignorant hell to say, I know, I know a kid made this T shirt. This is she Ian, bitch. I know a kid was slaving away for the T shirt. And in terms of child labor, h if I stopped buying from she and Fashion, no bizarre, these kids might have a better life.
Speaker 2: No no, because someone else will.
Speaker 1: But also that might be the only means of them to make money, even if.
Speaker 2: It's get that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I'm saying, whether it's five cents or not. The way we view child labor here in the States is different than other people, which is the same way if you if you really want to draw parallels, same thing with no monogamy, polygamy and polyamory and other parts of the world are viewed drastically different than how we view it here in the Western hemisphere. Before we go ahead just makes me sound even more.
Speaker 2: No, just in the concept of the movie, the series.
Speaker 6: Now the episode you mentioned you had difficulty with the cleaning services.
Speaker 2: Uh last week, last right last? But would you.
Speaker 6: Would that be part of you want a bunch of people say hey, Mandy, we're gonna clean.
Speaker 2: We know you want, so we're here to clean your apartment.
Speaker 1: Lie, I've already said I would want to be a part of taking advantage of everybody advantage.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to be What does that mean? That means you're the I'm worse than.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe the way that we be outside season two, the way we be out a method man, give me some dick, run run it up. But that's what that's. No one can say no to me, bro clean my house like And I guess that's where again the the idea to of of humanity to me and especially as a woman, is the right for us to have a choice to say no, is the right to be actually what we want to do, not what someone else wants us to do. And it's it's very interesting to watch this too, because it's kind of again, what we see that French character do and where our mind goes is essentially no different than what we what happened for four hundred years with slavery, you know, like they didn't have the choice to say no, I don't want to do this, but they were at the mercy of what someone else wanted, whether it be crops.
Speaker 7: Whether it be cleaning, whether it be But that's an interesting example because it sucks up both sides. It does, like it not only fuck up like the people who are experiencing it, but the people who are making those decisions throughout the four hundred years. They're all fucked up, which is why.
Speaker 1: To me it was interesting because there's a battle with Carol being the Karen of wanting to change it back to what society was, and because there is a toggle to where wait, this isn't right, but yes it is a better world, but is it really? Because now these people don't have choices.
Speaker 7: So so look, let me land my like my matrix point real Q like you bringing it up, but like the matrix, so been in the matrix there was an example about like the world and they were doing and so it's like the first time they did it, it was all perfection and people were unhappy. It was the same things, world peace, you don't have to worry about murders, and people found unhappiness and that because they didn't have choice. So then he went like the complete opposite the architect, and he made it like war, famine and like and and again with that like that that people were just as unhappy. So then they found it someplace in the middle where they had choice, right, and so like even if you have a semblance of choice, it's like, you know, it could be such a minimum thing where it's like what I wear today, and you know some some people have other means and they have bigger choices.
Speaker 1: But it's it's it's somewhere in between.
Speaker 7: And I think it's funny to call her to Karen, and there is like Karen behaviors in it. But also but I think she's fighting for the idea of like let's have choice. Like when she says like, that's not your family, because her children will listen to everything she says with no qush back her husband, our husband will listen, and that so it's like everybody they don't have a ch so now you're dealing with people who don't have choice, and that's not real either. I think that's kind of like her pursuit more than's.
Speaker 6: But I think that there's an inherent idea that like, we value choice, value, but we value.
Speaker 1: That's not We're in a democracy where we believe we have a choice, and even who correct.
Speaker 7: And I would even say we value the emotion behind the idea of choice, because sometimes they don't even really have a real choice.
Speaker 6: And what that's the part I was going to get to is that we we value choice, but we also see choice as the happiness we do.
Speaker 2: And choice does not have to be the happiness. Choice can be the thing that funcks you over.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because you could. There's right and wrong, wrong, choose choose wrong.
Speaker 6: Someone else has a choice too. You do something and that someone else reacts to I ran down. I ran down on the guy or the home Depot van pulled up on him. It wasn't him, right now, I okay, I made that choice. He could have made a choice. He could have made a choice to be like, who the.
Speaker 2: Fuck is this?
Speaker 8: Like this?
Speaker 2: And it just castays down.
Speaker 6: That guy gets out the car tries to shoot me, but he misses, he hits somebody across the street with a bullet because of them all, because I went down there confronting him. He made a choice. Then his choice affected that person over there should to do what was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tricky if you haven't seen it, because when the series ends, and I do hope Apple TV is not really or they are notorious for seasons not going very long over there, which I don't know why because we all got these Apple phones. I don't know why I hate the series that are six or but because it's from the creator, Like I said, Breaking Bad and Better Cross Sault shout out to Vinci.
Speaker 2: Are you expecting a plot twist?
Speaker 1: I am expecting. I am expecting that this show kind of like, what's the one I really like, you know, what's what's the guy that I really with? The black guy at the end of the world. Oh, that is already locked into a season two that I went, Oh, you're talking about Sterling h Sterling K.
Speaker 7: Brown on Hulu Hulu Sterling K Come on Journalism, Jason Paradise, Paradise.
Speaker 1: So what I'm hoping is that season two for this has already been written and they're just they just need agree like to where they go straight into because what I'm also hating is like the fact that Stranger Things just released, but released what three years later?
Speaker 2: Like Jesus Christ, especially with show this one thing. If the show is just kind of like I'm getting into that too, I want to talk about but.
Speaker 6: It showed it like this that has like deep things unpacked, Like you can't give us six episodes and expect us to get the whole.
Speaker 1: We need to be more good.
Speaker 7: I think the good thing is they're TV people doing it. They're not like movie people. Yes, Plara, shooting and doing TV, which is what you're busy.
Speaker 1: I'm excited by this. Uh And celebrities say the darnest things, y'all. I'm the celebrity apparently. So a couple of weeks ago, of course, Rory, my good friend Rory, who I'm not canceling. So and I'm not gonna sit here and go through why people were trying to cancel him. It's a couple of weeks old now. But so when I guess, I don't know what they thought they were doing. I don't know if they were warning me or blackmailing me. But I got sweat out it was weird. I got emailed my tweets from twenty eleven through twenty thirteen, and they clearly decided to search the word blacks and black women.
Speaker 2: And that's so that's going to be the highest search thing in.
Speaker 1: The Twitter over the next over the next month. If you spoke about blacks or black women and you are a black person, they are coming to see what the fuck you had to say. Now, because I am me, I am she, I am going to read some of these tweets or you know what, maybe I'll have Jason read them so that I can respond. And this is kind of a mix of celebrities say the darness things but also double down or take it back, and so you will in real time see me double down or take it back with explanations.
Speaker 7: So so they emailed you, They emailed me a number a number of tweets. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was seven seven tweets with just question mark as a subject line. That's the part the strange shout out to gena abuse. So me and Gina was talking about all this ship what was happening. So I sent her this email that bitch found that nigga cash app all the things because I got your email. So we were searching. His name is Joshua. I forgot the last name, but any who, we found your cash out nigga, And what are you doing this for? I don't know if you're a fan or oh, but suck my dick from the back. Anyways, I am going to now double down or take it back. And then I do want to lean into y'all because we've all been a part of black Twitter kind of what this timeframe of tweets was, what it means to actually change or evolve or stay the same. So go ahead.
Speaker 7: A tweet from Mandy May fifth, twenty seventeen. I read the comment. I read the comments, often black women, the spies, black men with any women lighter than them, dot dot dot double.
Speaker 1: Down, dug, bro, it's still happening. And this was twenty seventeen. The other ones are all like twenty eleven to twenty thirteen. Uh yeah, black women hate to see black men with any black black women. Okay, don't saynes okay, So joh, how about this one? Joah.
Speaker 7: August fifteenth, twenty thirteen, ten to fifteen in the morning, Mandy thought, this is crazy. My preference in women isn't black women? But lawd, do I have my exceptions? Dot dot dot you like lips?
Speaker 1: Okay, now here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: This one sounds bad.
Speaker 7: Bad, she said her prep she doesn't what I like hast covered, which is because my preference.
Speaker 1: And men is only black men now at this time.
Speaker 6: She's like, the whites with the long hair wouldn't know better than the NBA player.
Speaker 2: You ready, you played for the Pacers.
Speaker 1: Nigga, you want to know what's funny?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: I just talked about that, and you know I had I had a threesome this year with my first white woman with an NBA player, and I told him, I said, nigga, not you making me my first white Yeah, but I don't like white women experience.
Speaker 2: If you want.
Speaker 1: She was kind of fun, she I was gonna say, she probably knew what to do with that mouth. Yeah, it was nice. It was cute. Uh would I do it again? And it wouldn't be my preference, you know, but if it happens, it happens. I'm double down and taking this back because only because this was from twenty thirteen, my preference now is only black women. I really don't no pink nipples. Yeah, I like the little butter Scotch. But you know, all of my women that I've dealt with in the past five six years plus have all been black women. Let's go back to pre like just a couple of days before Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 7: Twenty eleven, eight thirty six in the morning, Joah, when the coal out of eye.
Speaker 2: Right in a tooth brush? What I say, talk and shit?
Speaker 1: She said our quote she threw.
Speaker 7: The quotes around this are quote unquote black girls still throwing shade at black men for dating white, white skinned women. Rose Eyes waits for valid response. Why did you put black girls in quotes?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Trump?
Speaker 2: What did you about? That?
Speaker 1: Very clear? Because I included light skinned women. So the quotes around the black girls were the darker skinned women who also lean into I don't want to say reverse colorism, but they line up to with the light skinned black women who also go with black men. Right Like there's wars between Okay, are you dark skin, brown skin, light skin? Like the colorism of the spectrum. Sometimes light skin black girls get grouped into oh, he's only with you because you're light skin and maybe and I don't know. Again, This is from twenty eleven, twenty thirteen. I don't know what was on the timeline that was like why is this a thing? And I've always questioned like why is this a thing? And to be fair, it's been questioned about me, like where women have told me, oh, but you don't count as a black girl because you're biracial or you real light skin, or so there's been conversations about me saying, oh, I'm black and this man is dating a black Yeah, but you like skin. So to me, it's just still questioning things. I do want to get into the ones that I absolutely double down on and don't understand why fourteen years later there is still questions about it. So let's get into. Because you're you're going into, you're reading ones that are all the same. I got this one.
Speaker 7: This next one feels a little I was gonna say, speaking a mix this next one.
Speaker 1: August tenth, twenty eleven. You see this one.
Speaker 7: But when I say I'm white, people completely ignore that because I'm half black.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But even now, black.
Speaker 7: People will walk around calling each other the nbomb all day long in Bomb Man, that's like the white side of EA and Bomb. But they want to get their panties in a bunch when another race says it fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: The N word is overrated.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: In box side, people are so sensitive to things, which is also crazy because if you go to literally another tweet around that I'm talking about the in word, and I say, it's sensitive ignorance, but also it's why I don't allow any of my friends who are not black to say it. You could read that verbatim. But there's two around the same thing, which is crazy because clearly my only tweets around blacks and black people and black women are all about the same ship, which I'm doubling down on the day to.
Speaker 2: Obama.
Speaker 1: Still No twenty eleven, I was in Miami twenty eleven, I was living saying.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to see what what might have been your experiences on the social level that I mean.
Speaker 1: I was in the club, but also you guys also was So nigga is a word that know, all you Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans shouldn't be saying. But then at the same time, you have a lot of Afro Caribbean people who don't know nigga is not a part of their Nigga's an American word, and so it's just like the N word was. And again, maybe to me at the time, I'm not surrounded by Black Americans. Everyone using it is everything but black American. So maybe at this time I also maybe wasn't using the in word as as fluently. I did live in Atlanta for a little bit, and then I mean, my just whole circle is black people, but growing up in Florida, No, I think everyone that's using it isn't really African American.
Speaker 6: I actually because sometimes when we tweet these things spec let's.
Speaker 2: Be very special experience moment.
Speaker 1: But at this time, in the moment, you see, they was trying to say Obama wasn't black, So me, as a biracial girl, they definitely was trying to say, which is why even when I say I'm white. Maybe at this time I even thought I could say that I was white and you were like, you're You're like twenty one, No, nineteen twenty twenty one. That's when these tweets are like, yeah, maybe at the time I thought otherworldly as a biracial I could identify as either or right now today, with enough lived experience, no bitch, I'm black. I'd have lived in Singapore. I done went abroad. I didn't even have a passport while I was tweeting these, you know what I mean. I got my passport when I was twenty two years old. So this is the ignorance of me being in America, living in Florida, where most people are not African American. Like, if you're black, oftentimes your family's from Haiti or Jamaica or the islands. Like, it's just different, and they don't identify as African American. They identify as the island that they're from. So that's where this comes from. By the way, the other two tweets is what I wanted to get into. If you don't mind buck using the N word as much, I want to get into the other two things the light girl first tweets, first tweet, second line, Let's get into it because this is still my goal and I haven't done a really good job at it. Let's get into these two things that are still an issue within our community.
Speaker 7: I'm make it my goal in life to teach black people how to tip.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's get and then hashtag. I'm just saying this probably comes from me being a bartender, me being a server because that's not good at this time. And do you know how embarrassing it is to work in an atmosphere around other people of other colors and hear them talk about us to where they don't want to serve you. They don't care to give you that much of good service because there is a stereotype that it doesn't matter how good the service is, how above and beyond I go. Black people don't tip. And I hated that I was experiencing that at the hands of my own people, because I wanted to believe that this is just a stereotype. And I don't like that my coworkers are saying the same thing. And unfortunately, and it could be a socioeconomic thing, right, I get that sometimes you make just enough to finally enjoy a meal outside and you don't consider that tipping is a part of that part. And so again I'm gonna blame the socioeconomic oppression that has ravaged our community. However, however, still in twenty twenty five, when was this sweet? This was twenty eleven, twenty eleven, April sixteenth, damn it, fourteen years later, you niggas still don't.
Speaker 2: Know how to tip. Yeah, I listen, we see it all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've had arguments about this amongst unnamed coworkers, but like we talked about this in the office, just shooting and shit.
Speaker 2: It's like damn like.
Speaker 6: There was there was one of our coworkers in particular that was just adamant about.
Speaker 2: Like, that's not my problem. Second, you see what I mean. I was like, yeah, you're right, I'm paying for the fool.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they take your ass through McDonald's drive through, but go if you were gonna take it to go, If you're gonna sit down and receive a service, there needs to be a tip.
Speaker 2: Well also, which I also find interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't know if y'all saw on Twitter last week they uploaded a blank receipt and we're literally asking how much tip do you live leave? It was like hundred and thirty one dollars and some change, And it was interesting to see what people thought they should leave as a tip. Now I go straight to mind you. I was one hundred and twenty dollars and then I count by fives based on that, so I was like, okay, one thirty one, I'm leaving a twenty six dollars tip. Then you had people that wanted to get into the change. The change is saying the same, I'm not doing yump you're doing. But it was interesting to see like he's leaving ten dollars on it, like the idea of even the percentage that should be left based on what you're spending.
Speaker 7: We still don't know, Like maybe it's selective ignorance, bad bad service with bad service, Mandy, do you load chip or no?
Speaker 1: Low tip? They ten percent percent? That's my low tip. If it's really bad service, you didn't come check on the table I sat there was drinking air because you refuse even I don't I don't know tip, but at ten percent tip when.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing for me, it's like with tipping, even with the socioeconomic part of it, right, like which which is a fair thing to say though, because okay, I get that, but.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do with the eight dollars.
Speaker 1: Put it towards something else?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do with the ten?
Speaker 6: Like I can see if it if the tip had to be something crazy and you're like, I'm not paying double the amount of this object. But it's like if you could buy a five hundred dollars dinner, then you can afford one hundred dollars tip.
Speaker 1: But I'm even talking about say the fifty dollars dinner you're leaving three dollars should be ten dollars.
Speaker 2: But that's that's the same. But are you are you that hard press for the ten bucks? Are you gonna do with the I.
Speaker 7: Think people, I think I think people walk in and they just know they're not gonna tip.
Speaker 1: But they're just trifling and they're just like, no matter.
Speaker 6: What they do, like, I'm keeping my money to give you, no extra money, and that's what you just pay thirty five dollars for margarita that cost three dollars.
Speaker 1: But the stereotype is that it's us doing it. Yeah and so, and by the way, stereotype white people are tricky. Y'all know who tips the most? Let me ask y'all who let me who do y'all think tips the most? I think it's either white men or Latin men. Nope, women, Okay, by the way, it's not a color, you ready, it's women, the gays a gay wait, wait, gay doesn't matter, doesn't matter. The color could be Latino. I worked gay nights. I've been my lived experience, my lived experience, and also just other bartenders who may even be straight. I know straight straight men that will go fucking bartend and boxers, that's just one of the ones I know in New York. But gay men, especially if you're quick, funny, look attractive, you're just gonna get so much more tips, like and they just they do the least bitch they want a Bokasota like maybe a fucking surely niggas could be ordering Shirley Temples and they're gonna tip like. Gay men doesn't matter the color, are the best tippers out there. And then maybe if you're in fine dining, then sure, white men or I'm not even gonna say white men, I'm gonna say business cards. If you know that it's a business meeting and it's going on on the business, then you're gonna get tipped well or over. But to me, all the gay men tip the best.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess there's a level of selective ignorance that I could apply to that and say do for for gay men outside of being accosted for your sexuality, I feel like for a lot of gay men, perhaps the worst thing you could be is raggedy.
Speaker 7: Or be.
Speaker 2: What's the word I'm looking for, like not have couse or not know how to treat people, or not know how to.
Speaker 6: Conduct yourself toward others that maybe they feel like I'm not going to be that.
Speaker 1: Maybe and I don't know the answer, but going to call me when I tell you gay men like you're not gonna do that? They tip the best, they tip the best. And then here's another one. The last one. There was a joke there about the tip and gay man that no, I mean, honestly, just as long as you add comedians to your bio, you can you know, you can literally say whatever you want to. Go ahead, and did you make that change? If you want to read that? That second one on the bottom, this is another one I am doubling completely down on.
Speaker 7: Is this the thirty minutes late and still the first bitch here? Yes, I damn black people.
Speaker 1: What is we still use CP time and black people are doubling down on being late? So yes, I have a problem with the fact that I showed up somewhere thirty minutes late and still was the first bitch there. And it clearly was a black swell rat it was our people. It was an event hosted ran by our people. Is it late if there's such a thing as CEP time, And we all see what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't like I don't like that we like.
Speaker 1: This is a question, that's just a question. The way I learned it, No, no, no, the way that I learned it heavily in Atlanta, Georgia. Here's the thing. When And y'all know I like industry shit. When you when when? When there's an event going on in New York, Oh, baby, you better be there before or open a lot. Seven means seven in New York. It's going to be crazy the whole sidewalk. And everyone thinks they're important, and so they walk right up to the front and it gets chaotic. So if there's an event, specifically an industry event, if it's say seven o'clock, you better be already pulling up about six fifty to make sure New York on time and it ends on time, because baby car, it's done now. But and there'll be somewhere where the overflow goes next, right, I realize now. And Atlants, if you show up on time here, you're gonna be helping set up Hold on, hold on. If an event starts at seven, the door is not even gonna open till seven forty five. Yeah, Like, but on the fire since seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: Don't get a fucked by what the fuck?
Speaker 1: So I've caught myself being like and mind you, I'm celebrity, I'm supposed to show up fashion me. No, I'm the first one there, Like niggas are still blowing balloons, right, And I'm like, oh wow, so here it's bothering me that when I see an event that says they start at seven or eight, I gotta show up at ten.
Speaker 6: And you gotta tell people, you gotta tell no, there starts at seven thirty. It starts at eight thirty.
Speaker 1: No, you ready here? Just everyone is showing up three hours late. So imagine the events like that really have to end at a certain time. Bro, everyone's showing up for the last thirty minute. Nobody's here for the whole event.
Speaker 2: What's punctuality drilled into you as a child?
Speaker 1: Like what took a question?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 6: Because my girl is like that, she's an event producer, right, and she's like very much about like this goes in this sequence, it's time, this is doors, this is this is this is this.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. I think it came from a I believed in. I mean, most of us as millennials, thought we would be rewarded for perfect attendance and shit like that, right, But for me, when kids came in late to class, which I was always really big with my studies, my academia, it bothered me that if people walked in late, they disrupted the entire class. So it was the disruption I just it ingrained into me that oh, you disrespectful. You think this is on your time? You know what time it starts. We've already gotten into curriculum. And now fuck everybody here that showed up on time because you chose to be late. We all got to stop what we're doing the lesson. The teacher has to address you. You're now pulling out your desk, making all the noise. Even if we try to, even if we try to ignore you, you're still disrupt And so to me, I've just my entire life I've viewed it as a sign of disrespect. But also as someone who took pride in showing up on time and being present, I always felt like, what makes you think you don't have to show up on time? Why? And to me it was always just again back to the individualism that a lot of us have. To me, I just always view it's funny because the people listening, like when we have meet and greets and when we've done things for decisions, decisions, they be like, Steitch, be on time. They know I don't like shit, just like why are you late? And so for me, I've genuinely viewed it as a sign of disrespect. I literally just had to have a conversation with a friend to where I brought it up in therapy and I was like, this, We've been friends for I don't know, fifteen years or so, and I'm like, she's never on time, and a part of me is starting to despise and feel like I can't be friends with her because there's no way she respects me as a person because every time we're together she's late.
Speaker 6: Count Ever, ever, my mom says that a lot thatspect, but you don't give a fuck. She said, come early and wait on me because I'm gonna be on time, right, especially late, because then what you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, because then what is it? And so yeah, for me, for me, that's that, and I just hate that within our community specifically, which is why I'm doubling down on these two tweets that we have the stereotype that we don't tip, which means we don't respect service or good service. But guess what, We're gonna beat up first and the loudest to complain when the service ain't good, you know what I mean? And then for me, yeah, not not respecting people's time. I think that's the bare minimum. Showing up on time is the bare minimum of what you should expect from another human being, and I don't think we show ups that way. Everything else was yeah, me talking about the N word and black women and black men not liking black women, which is also the craziest thing that I do want to say about this entire thing. You know who has the most to say about black women on the internets on Beyonce's Internet, black men. So the fact that black men who also had history, the black men who also had the history I'm talking down on black women being mad at Rory for saying it about black women. I was just like, bro, we went like Jay's with the pots calling the kettle black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was just like a lot of the group chest that. I mean a lot of black women were bringing up that same thing. They were looking at the names of the people who was like cursing Rory out and talking about and was looking at them like you got a weird case. Yeah, yeah, you got a weird case. Remember writing the pandemic, right, that is hilarious.
Speaker 1: You know, facts facts, So to me it was just it's just interesting, like what what is it? Don't throw rocks and houses?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but if you were.
Speaker 7: Black people, that's up phrases too. In a tweets you can bring that up a few things.
Speaker 2: We're gonna up your phrase and we're gonna add on that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I hate that.
Speaker 2: Mind you.
Speaker 1: I'm from Orlando. It's the Orlando magic, not Magic's in oxtail. As a Jamaican, there's no planting like.
Speaker 2: And I'm not jamaking either, but may.
Speaker 1: Pissed me, but yeah, like so for me, like in terms of everyone having an opinion, cool, you could have it. But if you've been a perpetrator of what you're trying to be the holy grail around the way.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up, Joshua. We'll send you that emails. By the way, got question mark.
Speaker 1: Anyone wondering if I responded to this email? I did, and I said, Oh, you thought you ate with this? Huh?
Speaker 2: Did he respond?
Speaker 1: No, he didn't because he realized he was hungry. He did not eat. In fact, with this email. He was starting, in one fact, searching for more tweets from somebody. But also MTV maybe spent two hours deleting twenty pages of tweets already, So if you wanted to get me, you should have gotten me before I had an MTV show, because boy, they scrubbed that shit and I was embarrassed. Mind you, while I was reading it, I was like, bitch y'all said that, like dead ass. I was like, I said that, But to me, tweets, Twitter anything a decade ago. Bro. Again, the way we're talking about the sensitivity of the society we live in and the way that we're all educating and learning and growing. Again, if you've been fans of horrible decisions, there's been knowledge that I've learned about different layers and levels of sexual assault. Like stealthing was something I learned in twenty seventeen. I didn't know back at twenty twelve when a nigga removed the condom on me that I had been sexually assaulted. That is a crime. That now you could go to jail for and so to me, if we're all learning as we're getting older, we shouldn't be holding people to the fire, allowing growth to happen, you know, allowed for us to evolve. Because that's also the the dope thing about humanity and choice right is the fact that we do get to change our minds, our thoughts, our views, our opinions. It gets to change. We get to evolve, and we get to go to therapy. We get to learn that the toxic relationships wasn't love, that was me being fucking insecure with myself or not having self worth. Like we get to do those things. So this idea that we're gonna hold people to the fire on tweets ten years plus ago, shut the fuck up. And Rory's one of the best potters out there, So.
Speaker 2: I don't give a fuck. I'm you know, enough of yourself accountability. Let's under the bush.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, We're not doing that.
Speaker 6: Also as a speak of humanity, Marjorie Taylor Green, she's kind of evolved, she's evolving as a politician.
Speaker 2: But I don't like this.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna throw Rory under the bus, but I am going to bring up Marjorie Taylor Green in relation to this whole thing, right, And here's the problem. I personally think that the bringing up old tweet thing is whack a lot for a lot of reasons they don't necessarily have to do with, like why you're bringing up old ship like in these particular cases, like well maybe Joshua is a whole other thing for you, but like for the people that brought up killing the Cold Ship, right, yep, these are people who are bringing these things up in the self in defense.
Speaker 2: Of some rich white lady. Literally in Rory's case, this all came up over who's your rapper daddy?
Speaker 1: Literally, like this all came up.
Speaker 7: He brought it up in the spaces. Yeah, but it came up because they were accusing him of like riding for.
Speaker 1: Because he should get a Grammy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's what I'm saying, Like to me, but it let's be clear, there's a lot of ship going on in hip hop though, okay, through the genuineness of and again to your point, I hate when they do that shit because yeah, I just think he should be able to defend that shit.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem.
Speaker 6: Here's to me, where he fucked up at and where Marjorie Taylor Green comes into it, right when you go into spaces, if you have that on your jacket, especially if you're a white person and you're in this culture, if you have that on your jacket, it is your responsibility as a human being, as a white person, to approach that situation seriously and hold that for real, for real, hold that and don't be defensive about it. Don't scoff at it. Don't you don't get to make jokes about it. You gotta hold that. You have to approach that situation. If you're going to offer an apology, you have to offer a real apology. And it's like, if Marjorie Taylor Green can offer a better fake apology than you.
Speaker 2: Can, you look crazy.
Speaker 1: Well his humor, I'll be honest, the way he responded initially is exactly how I would responded. I would have thought it was a joke, like y'all are really like, which I think.
Speaker 6: You don't get to be white and do that exactly. You don't get to be white and do that. You just don't like That's just how it goes.
Speaker 2: At least.
Speaker 6: But I'm like, for a white man, I think I think he could have handled it a lot, but I think there was a way because it because it could have I think maybe deprived.
Speaker 1: My thing is, here's the thing. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had he gotten on his knees and begged for forgiveness for an apology. There's a lot of people because it was a lot of niggas at home in their mama basement yelling into the phone, like to me, even how do you apologize out the gate? There's still so many people that wouldn't have accepted the apology. But he's still got to do it better.
Speaker 7: Like, and I'll say this, I've had nothing but like positive interactions with like I don't know, I'm super well, but I've obviously had But but still it's like, but as a white dude in it regardless, like you have to do a good apology because there's people to fuck with you and people that like with you.
Speaker 1: They like you, and you have to apologize to them. For all the people who are gonna make noise about it, they were gonna do it anyway. Yeah, And so like it has to be legit and like super one.
Speaker 6: When you when a white personihilates a black person's trust. There's only one way you can play that out, and if you're gonna be cute about it, like because then he came back on his pot and like gave a real apology.
Speaker 2: Right, so it's like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Then apologies can be too late, so you're damned.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, but but again, if you're a white person, that's your If that's all the burden you gotta bears that niggas don't fuck with you no more than whooped the dude. Like, I think his mistake, his misstep rather, is that he went on twitter space so quick.
Speaker 2: I think he should have.
Speaker 1: Gave some time to.
Speaker 2: His friend said don't get on that ship. And I know Twitter spaces shout out to twitters people who do. I like the idea, but.
Speaker 6: It just became a fine what they could get from you to clip that ship up and go put it on YouTube, put it on a page and say, ah, I.
Speaker 1: Hate it, I hate it. Anyway, let's get into before we wrap up our am I ignorant segment?
Speaker 2: We got a question, let's do.
Speaker 7: It, and I swear I didn't write this one, so to get it here, it says uh oh so let's go down.
Speaker 1: Was it was to tell my aunt her political posts make her look uneducated? Was it ignorant?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it to tell my aunt her political post make her look educated? So here goes.
Speaker 7: My aunt posts a lot of political memes on Facebook, stuff that's clearly not accurate, but she shares them with the captions like wake up sheep. Last week, one of our posts want viral in the family group chat because it claimed the politician had died and they hadn't. I commented publicly, not privately, under her post and said, Auntie, please fact check before spread stuff like this. It makes you look uneducated. She deleted the post, then called me hollering, saying I embarrassed her in front of her church and coworkers who follow her. My cousins say that I'm a laitist because my aunt didn't finish high school and quote doesn't know better. Now the family says I'm the one dividing people. So here's the question. Was I ignorant for calling it out publicly or is everyone else ignorant for ignoring the real issue.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, not sure how old John's is. Bitch. Let them be great over there on the Facebook.
Speaker 3: Let them.
Speaker 1: They believe everything that everything you gotta, you gonna let these old people enjoy believing like this ship it is agous but cool.
Speaker 2: I go, hold you.
Speaker 1: I saw this one sore video like, and I didn't realize it was AI till I went into the comments, and mind you, I'm heavily on the internet. I'm getting got by AI. Okay, so to me, mind you, we kill all people on the internet and all the time, and so for me, I don't I think that actually you weren't ignorant for calling it out publicly, but you're just not fun. Like, let the old people enjoy their memes, their AI, their fake like people right now are having a blast with seeing these things that they think are real. They can't believe it. Wake up people. But also it's happening to us, like, boy, does NBA Sententel get me a lot?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: But now they acting like the Simpsons almost Maybe they're like predicting what's happening with the ship happening to me if it's memes and specifically this one was a politician who died and they hadn't We are in a space where a lot of us are uninformed online and we hit that retweet button real quick. If we all had to research everything before we liked or commented or retweeted, it would take an element job, it would. And so I don't think it's ignorant for your aunt to just share it. And I do think that you're ignorant and too. Where we're at on the internet right now with Soura, with chat chept, with AI think Groc. I don't think Grock is over there on on us on Facebook, we know that Groc.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised, you know.
Speaker 1: So y'all don't know Grock. Grek is my side, niked so chat, GPT is my husband, Grok is my side, niggad. Groc is the AI feature that automatically will let you know if something is uninformed, not right, will give you a real link. And then if you were unaware of what is happening from a tweet, you can literally at Grock, Hey, Groc, explain to me what's going on, and Groc will give you a breakdown of what's happening in the I don't know if most of the time, and he'd be wrong sometimes, but I just don't know if Facebook has that feature. I don't know if people of a certain age know that that feature exists. And so to me where we're at, let the old folks have that they with with with the auff you you.
Speaker 2: Look like you better than me.
Speaker 6: Listen, Auntie, I hate to break it to you. You were You were embarrassed before the person said that before.
Speaker 1: You're No, this isn't the aunt ring.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about aunts high school.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying is I'm saying that to say is that you said this in a public form amongst other people. Trust to believe you ain't the only your your niece, ain't the only person that thought you was ignorant and uninformed when you posted that. In that group, somebody else that saw the dumb ship looked at it and said, this is some dumb ship. Why she always posting this dumb shit? You we all have a group chat that we know somebody is posting something. It's like, you know you're gonna post the dumb shit. So somebody in that group was already looking at you crazy.
Speaker 1: But we got to look at we as human beings, how we project. So the the comment that went on there was Auntie, please fact check before spreading stuff like this. It makes you look uneducated. The fact that the other cousin was like, you, you know, she didn't finish high school, you must think you're better than her. The aunt responding the way she did probably is because she feels a bit uneducated as someone who didn't complete high school. Therefore, that word uneducated is what pissed her off. It was a trigger to her because she possibly actually feels like she's uneducated as.
Speaker 6: Someone who didn't mean about sheep or about ghats or about some ship that don't have If you're dumb a man of steels just got finished telling us last episode, have somebody around you who knows something, who can put you in the right direction.
Speaker 2: If you want to talk about frivol.
Speaker 1: Needs somebody around her to grandma. Granted, Auntie needs to anti rize.
Speaker 6: If you want to talk about some frivolous ship that don't matter, You want to argue about basketball or.
Speaker 2: Sneakers or kids were trying to get it matters all the matter.
Speaker 6: But I'm saying like, if you want to argue on the internet about some old like whatever ship that doesn't mean nothing about nothing, go ahead and you can be quote unquote uneducated or ignorant, and that shit really don't matter.
Speaker 1: To be fair, it is it was allegedly a politician that had died. I will say nothing is stupid about questioning anything regarding politics, no question, because.
Speaker 2: Question every question, all of it.
Speaker 6: But I think there's a difference between a question and just spreading something that you think something something false just because you saw it and you jumped on it and you thought that this was the thing, like we all gotten got by or various things. So I don't think it's a matter of like, don't get God, We're all going to get got at some point, and.
Speaker 1: Y'all be quick to let me know when I got got, like tweet me, like, girl, don't even real?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 6: I saw a video yesterday of what was supposed to be behind the scenes means of a of a national geographic animal documentary, and it was literally, uh, a tiger and a deer standing there in front of the camera while director and production people behind it, and the director says action, and the tiger runs and grabs the deer and they run off screen and shot again this time do this and he's given the tiger direction And you thought it was real? No, hell no, but it looks real as fu Yeah, the tiger's just sitting there waiting for the deer and he picks the deer up in his mouth and runs off screen. And it looks real as hell, but I'm sure somebody got got.
Speaker 1: Fake.
Speaker 2: He's a real aut.
Speaker 1: This in terms of Hurricane Melissa, when it went through Jamaica, Bro, I saw more AI videos of sharks in the pool. I was, I was like, damn, nigga, where the real videos that.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think. I think. I think your ignorance wasn't about calling her out publicly, but it was you ignorant. Let let all people be old, let them have their fun, Let them have their fun. Anyways, guys, uh, next week you are in for a treat. We are doing our year end wrap up. We go let me, y'all, y'all get to hear from a few from myself and a few of my friends that I'm bringing along. Really excited. Those are surprises. But make sure you check that out next week again if you haven't yet, make sure you get my book No Holds Bart of Doing Manifesto, Sexual Exploration and Power available wherever you get books, and you know, follow me everywhere. I'm really excited too about what we got coming for y'all with selective Ignorance at the top of Q one job, let the people know where they can follow you where they could.
Speaker 6: You can find me on the intrawebs and on Twitter, on Hip Hop Obama, on Instagram mister hip Hop Obama, and I'm getting ready to get my substant popping.
Speaker 2: You'll do some more writing for myself.
Speaker 1: Bring you back, Bring it back anyways, guys. Thank y'all. This has been another episode of selective Ignorance, where curiosity lives, controversy thrives, and conversations matter. See y'all pus the holes next week by Selective Ignorance, a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks for tuning in the Selective Ignorance of Mandy B. Selective Ignorance. It's executive produced to buy Mandy B.
Speaker 3: And it's a full Court Media studio production with lead producers Jason Mondriguez.
Speaker 1: That's me and Aaron A. King Howell.
Speaker 3: Now do us a favor and rate, subscribe, comment, and share wherever you get your favorite podcasts and be sure to follow Selective Ignorance on Instagram at select of Underscore Ignorance. And of course, if you're not following our hosts Mandy B, make sure you're following her at full Court Pumps Now. If you want the full video experience of Selective Ignorance, make sure you subscribe to the Patreon It's patreon dot com backslash selective Ignorance.
Speaker 1: It's girl Mady B. And you just checked out my new podcast, Selective Ignorance. If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you head on over and hit that subscribe button and check out Selective Ignorance every Tuesday and every Friday wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts