Speaker 1: Welcome to Strictly Business, Variety's weekly podcasts featuring conversations with industry leaders about the business of media and entertainment. I'm Cynthia Littleton, co editor in chief of Variety Today. My guest is David Rubinstein, co founder and co chairman of Carlisle Group. Carlyle is one of the world's largest investment firms, with more than three hundred and seventy billion in assets under management across five continents. The company's reach is vast. Rubinstein helped launch the firm in nineteen eighty seven after working as a lawyer in Washington, d c. And for the Carter Administration as a domestic policy advisor. He's made piles of money over the years, and Rubinstein was one of the first signers of Warren Buffett's Giving Pledge, in which the one percent agreed to give away at least half of their wealth to charity. Rubinstein's curiosity is as big as his fortune, and he indulges it in non fiction series that he hosts for PBS and Bloomberg News. His latest PBS offering Iconic America, Our Symbols and Stories, is an example of Rubinstein's passion for history. He's very concerned that not enough of us know enough about our history to avoid repeating it. With his latest show, Rubinstein visits marquee locations across the country for episodes that delve into what makes a place tick and what makes it uniquely American. His stops include Fenway Park, the Golden gate Bridge, and the Hollywood Sign, but these are not breezy travelogs. The Hollywood episode does a good job of capturing a region that is synonymous with an industry that is very much in the throes of transition. Our conversation takes several turns, including his thoughts on why people generally hate the rich, why his mother deemed him a yenta at a very young age, and he dishes on a bipartisan monthly dinner series that he hosts in Washington, d C. That's all coming up after the break, and we're back with David Rubinstein, host of PBS's Iconic America, Our Symbols and Stories. David Rubinstein, thank you so much for joining me today. Thank you for having me at your beautiful Madison Avenue offices.
Speaker 2: My pleasure to talk to you. Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: I David, you accomplished in many areas, obviously as an investor at the highest heights of investment in private equity. You're an author, you host, by my account, at least three shows, three ongoing TV shows, and have numerous specials and things in the works. How does all of this activity in disparate areas come together in your life? Why do you stay so busy?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to stay active mentally and physically. I'm now seventy three years old, and we all know that when you turn certain ages, your brain slows down a bit, your body atrophies a bit. But if you exercise, or you exercise your brain as well as your body, you can postpone to some extent the normal aging process. I also have a lot of curiosity about things, and when I was growing up, my mother would call me a yenta. Yenta is a Yiddish word for onet to know everything. So when people come to our house, I would always ask a lot of questions. And now I find myself as an interviewer on television or other kind of media, asking a lot of questions. And maybe it came from my intellectual curiosity or what my mother would call being a yenta. So I'm trying to keep my brain active. I'm trying to stay interested in what's going on in the world and maybe stay relevant. Because as you get to be a certain age, and you're obviously much younger than me, you get to be a certain age, people look at you differently. So when I turn seventy, people said to me at the Kenney Center, where I've been the chair for a number of years, mister Rubinstein, do you want to take the elevator up? Or can you walk these three steps? And so, you know, people look at you differently when you hit a certain ages. And so, as you know from covering Hollywood, people don't like to announce their age particularly, and they like to mask it a bit with either plastic surgery or some other kind of cosmetics things. And so I don't have any plastic surgery and I don't use any cosmetics. But you know, obviously I'm trying to do as many things like can. And I also think to be very serious, every human wants to give back to society before their time on their face of the earth is over. And how do you give back to society. Well, one way you can do is help your country. And so I do a lot of things that I call patriotic philanthropy. But I think by doing interview shows, I'm trying to educate people and educate myself as well. So I do a lot of different things to keep busy. Maybe that's because I'm afraid if I don't, they busy something with atrophy or I won't be as relevant as I would like to be.
Speaker 1: A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that phrase before. That's a you should coin that.
Speaker 1: I think somebody might have beat me to it, but you have. And a new entry coming to PBS soon that is called Iconic America, where you go to different cities and do a really interesting job of looking at how monuments or iconic landmarks in those cities, what they say about those cities, and the economic and cultural and social aspects around those cities tell me. What was the spark of inspiration for doing this type of sort of travelog and history.
Speaker 2: For the last ten fifteen years or so, I've spent a fair amount of my time trying to educate people met American history on the theory that we should have an informed citizen ry. That was the premise of our representative democracy when it was created. Sadly, Americans don't know much about our country's history. We don't require people to take American history courses in college or high school. We don't even teach civics very much anymore in junior high school or high school. So as part of an effort to do that, I have started some programs, various interview programs and so forth. This particular one was something that I developed with PBS helping where we would go and take iconic symbols of this country and do an hour show on each, hopefully telling people about the history and the interesting parts about it. So the eighth that we've chosen for this part of the series and that we'll be broadcast on PBS beginning of eight point twenty six, the first one is Fenway Park. So after the Fenway Park one, we were going to do the Hollywood Sign, which I believe you've already seen that show.
Speaker 3: That one caught my attention, right.
Speaker 2: That one is the famous Hollywood sign that, as you may know, maybe our listeners don't, it was originally intended to be Hollywood Land. That was the sign. It was designed to sell houses in the Hollywood Hills, and it was the Hollywood Land Company that was selling them competing with other home builders. Ultimately that land taken down when the homes homes are all sold and now it just says Hollywood. So that's another one. Then we have one of the Golden gate Bridge, one of the American Bald Eagle, one of the Gadsden Flag, which says don't treadle me, which has had a long history in our country. Another is Stone Mountain, which is a mountain in Georgia where Confederate symbols are now carved into it. Another one is a Statue of Liberty. Another one is the American Cowboy. And what we try to do is to go through the history of these things, what people might know or might not know. Try to do it an interesting, entertaining format because you want people to watch it. So in many of these I interview people. Many of them other people do interviews, and we have some really interesting people. In the Hollywood one, for example, we gathered a number of Hollywood well known people for a dinner and we had talked about Hollywood, and then I went to visit the homes of some famous Hollywood stars and so forth. And I think it's pretty educational and taught me a lot about Hollywood that I didn't know.
Speaker 3: You do a good job in. These aren't just breezies.
Speaker 1: These aren't excuse me, these aren't just breezy celebratory travelogue episodes. These are you do a good job in the Hollywood episode of putting. You know, it's a it's a warts and all look at the town. You know, it's pros and its cons and Hollywood just by its you know, just by that what that word conjures up has has definitely there's a lot of dark side to a lot of the up and the opportunity. I thought you did a good job of capturing what can go wrong, but also the incredible opportunity. You come to town with a great idea that you can package into a form of pop culture that can be marketed to the masses, and you can be you know, there are any number of examples, you can be living out of your car and within a short amount of time caching big royalty checks by, but just by dint of a good idea and that and that's an intoxicating place, and you captured that very well.
Speaker 2: Our country has been premised, to some extent on something that was a phrase that was invented in nineteen thirty six called the American Dream. Now, the American dream is kind of a ratio alger concept where you start with nothing, typically an immigrant many ways, and you rise up the success in our country, and the American dream is something that people generally believe in this country. But a subset of that is the Hollywood dream, which is you might not be well educated, you might not be extremely talented in the view of some of your peers, you go to Hollywood and you're discovered as an actor, actress and something all of a sudden, you're Marilyn Monroe or something like that. And so that dream still lives on and many many people go to Hollywood. It turns out that what Hollywood actually is is not what people think. There is no Hollywood in the traditional sense, where if you go to Hollywood that part of la that's not where the studios are. We try to point out the studios are in Burbank or other parts of the Los Angeles area. But the word Hollywood got to be synonymous with this is where the movies are made. And of course if you go to the actual Hollywood, you don't see any studios. You do see Graeman's Chinese theater and you see people's uh cement fingerprints.
Speaker 3: The Walk of Fame and yeah, but that's.
Speaker 2: About all that's actually related to the movie industry in Hollywood. Uh. You also see a lot of you know, kind of T shirt shops and things like that.
Speaker 3: In Hollywood times squarish type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go to the real Hollywood, which is in the studios in the valley or so forth, that's where the movies are made, TV shows are made. But the whole culture of Hollywood is one that is i would say, uniquely American. And what we try to do in these so called symbols of our country is to talk about things that are really uniquely American. So there there obviously there's Bollywood in in uh in India, but generally, if you think about making movies, you think about Hollywood and a uniquely American kind of enterprise.
Speaker 3: And that meritocracy of sorts.
Speaker 1: Like you can come you can be Greta Garbo from Sweden, or you can be Doris Day from a tiny town and I'm probably gonna get this wrong, but hi, you know, so you can be somewhere from the Midwest and come out here, and you know, again, if you get that right mix of luck and idea, you can find your fame and fortune.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: I mean think of the famous movie stars and the diverse backgrounds they had. So Carrie Grant was really Archibal at Leech was his real name, and he's from England. Bob Hope, that was not his real name, and.
Speaker 3: He came to really yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think his first name was really Leslie.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, Leslie. I can't Leslie, not Leslie Howard, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know people who rose up from very modest circumstances and became famous Hollywood icons.
Speaker 1: One thing I wanted to add to your discussion of Hollywood is one of Hollywood as the geographical neighborhood of Los Angeles, is it. One big exception these days is Netflix. Netflix planted, It's staked, it has actually has offices in Hollywood, And that was a pre pandemic decision that I think anybody there would say has been very challenging because that neighborhood of Los Angeles has really got a big problem with unhoused and it's really created a very difficult environment just in and around in and around Netflix. So there's a lot of a lot of the kind of wither Los Angeles seems to be in that neighborhood. Can they make this work? With this they have this incredible sort of anchor tenant that for years they've been saying, We're going to revive Hollywood the neighborhood, and.
Speaker 3: It's a struggle.
Speaker 2: Streaming has changed the entertainment world for sure, and what Netflix has achieved has really been a major factor in changing the way movies are financed, actors are compensated. So if I ask people who's the most prominent person in Hollywood, as I've done from time to time when working on this, that people would often say, person like the head of Netflix, Ted Sarandos, who is the co c O. Now he's deciding the green light the script or that script. He had a fair amount of money to do it still does. And all I'm recently at a Kenny Center event and you know, a very nice person came there for an event honoring Adam Sandler, who made some movies I think with Netflix. That's why he was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's made a bunch of movies for Netflix.
Speaker 2: Right, So, you know, you never know who is going to be the most powerful person in Hollywood. I would say today, you know, He's probably one of them. Who are the most powerful people today in Hollywood. I guess they're typically the studio heads or people like the head of Netflix, or there are a couple directors that can make a movie. Steven Spielberg can probably get anything finance he wants to get financed, and I assume James Cameron Ken as well.
Speaker 1: I've never seen such a time in Hollywood where all most of the major platforms are in the throes of this massive transition, and frankly in you know, various forms of disarray, restructuring, you know, pretty massive layoffs. It is just a part of this, you know, certainly difficult, but it's clearly necessary transition of just as of reallocation of resources. Can you think, as a student of history and certainly a student of business, can you think of analogous times in American history where we've seen sectors just going through such wholesale transformations in the way they make money. The way Hollywood makes money on content has changed radically in ten the last ten to fifteen years. Can you think of analogous industries in time The.
Speaker 2: Industry that I've been in, the financial service industry used to be you had investment bankers, and they would service big corporate clients and big corporations. Over the last forty years or so, the big clients for many investment banking firms have become private equity firms which didn't exist thirty forty years ago, or hedge funds, which didn't really exist in any large scale thirty or forty years ago. So the people that are often moving Wall Street today are hedge funds, particularly those that are involved in rapid trading kinds of things, or private equity firms of various types, venture funds, growth capital funds, buyout funds. It's really changed Wall Street, and dramatically, just as as.
Speaker 3: You would you say for the better, for the worse.
Speaker 2: Or historians a figure that I'd say, it's you know, as a general rule of thumb, I think when you have changes, it probably historically better than not. But there are always some abuses, some problems and changes. But you think about it. One hundred years ago, there were a limited number of big Wall Street firms, and over the years we still have a limited number of Wall Street firms. The names have changed a bit, same as true in Hollywood you had a limited number of studios, a few years ago, and you still have a limited number of major studios.
Speaker 1: So it's amazing those original brand names still really carry a lot of weights.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you think about it, the big brand names fifty years ago, where MGM still exists, Paramount still exists, Universe still exists, Disney still exists, Warner Brothers. So those big names have stayed around, even though the studios are completely different in the way they are owned and operated than they were years ago. But Hollywood has changed dramatically. The way you get movies finances changed, the way you become a star has changed. But interestingly, it's still the center of entertainment creation. In other words, if you want to make a movie and you want to get a movie financed, you don't typically go to Des Moines, Iowa. You probably go to Hollywood or Los Angeles, somewhere in Los Angeles. Of course, there's a lot of activity in New York as well, but New York Los Angeles is still the epicenter, I would say of the entertainment that hasn't changed in the last fifty years or so, and probably he's not going to change anytime soon. I think, even with the Internet and with all kinds of things that you can do. Virtually, you're not likely to see entertainment creation activity being done out of you know, the mid Midwest. Let's say it just doesn't happen. It's not likely to happen in my view.
Speaker 1: The locus of you definitely there there. Certainly there's more import export happening. South Korea is a really big exporter of content. Israel is exporting more both shows and formats for shows that are remade for different audiences.
Speaker 3: But there, But.
Speaker 1: You can't and I've seen many times people you know, companies, even Netflix at the beginning, really you know, it took them a lot to kind of get there, find their sea legs. But the idea that well we can hire people to produce shows, we can pay people to produce shows, there is something. There's something you having that in house expertise, having that department, that physical production department that knows how to get people before cameras, knows how to get ten big trailers out to the out to the field in the Midwest where you're going to shoot that pivotal you know, the pivotal closing scene in the corn Fiel field or whatever it might be like that that level of expertise knowing how to deal with tax incentives and all the different pay literally literally the payroll in production is a very specialized job because there's so many different unions and so many different rules that you have in contracts. It's a really it's a very.
Speaker 3: Very expertise hard business to break into.
Speaker 2: That expertise still resides principally in the New York area and the Los Angeles area. The only non US I would say factor that's changed a bit about how people are entertained in recent years is TikTok TikTok, which is Chinese based.
Speaker 3: Of course, much in the news these days.
Speaker 2: It has lots of controversy associated with it, but it's very rare for an American audience to use a technology to be entertained or to be informed that is not based in the United States. So, for example, I doubt if you or I could get through the day without using either a product or a service created by Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, or Netflix, all American technologies. Now. Think about how you use one or more of those every day, and they didn't exist fifty years ago or so. But how many Americans are used to getting their entertainment, their information from a let's say, a China based entertainment form very few, and I think that's produced a fair amount of dislocation and concern in Washington, d C. For the reasons that have been articulated by government officials. But I think part of it is we're not used to having technology or entertainment or information given to us through a Chinese source. I often wonder why it is that no European technology has taken hold, so that Europe, which is a bigger population in the United States, has not created any technology that we are currently using to get through our daily life lives. Think about it. I mis mentioned the companies that you're using probably or their services, but none of those companies are really European based. China has come up with one so far. TikTok, what happened to Europe? I can explain why probably there's nothing from Europe in this array of companies. But as a general rule of thumb, back to the entertainment area, entertainment more or less for the United States is created in the United States essentially, and created more or less in the New York area or the Los Angeles area, with few exceptions. With artificial intelligence, you're now going to have the challenge of figuring out whether you should write your own tests essay or have an artificial intelligence service do it for you, which apparently are people are doing. And now there's a big push to figure out whether graters or teachers can have a mechanism to figure out whether something's been written by artificial intelligence or not when they're greating exams, and that's going to be a big industry.
Speaker 1: Does that all of that level of misinformation Does it affect markets?
Speaker 3: Does it? Because does it mess with people's market heads when they're trying to figure things out?
Speaker 2: Well, markets move on impulse, they move quickly. There's a general view get there first with the information and act on it. When the information is wrong and you act on it, that's going to be a problem. So, yes, people are moving quickly, and sometimes the information is not acurate.
Speaker 1: Don't go chasing after any national landmarks. We'll be right back after this short break, and we're back with more from David Rubinstein, host of PBS's Iconic America.
Speaker 3: Our symbols and stories.
Speaker 1: In Hollywood and in other aspects of pop culture, certainly Wall Street high finance.
Speaker 3: You know, private equity.
Speaker 1: Head fund leaders are very are very often cast as the villain.
Speaker 3: That is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like a punching bag sometimes? Is it hard to be? Is it hard to square that with the reality that you know well.
Speaker 2: Throughout history people who have made money, even legally, have not been put on pedestals because generally people think, as Balzac once said, behind every great fortune there's a crime, and there's a general view by the population as a whole that if you've made somebody made a lot of money, they must have done something wrong. And private equity firms didn't do themselves any great favors early on, when they didn't pay attention to environmental concerns or diversity concerns or other things. That has changed a bit, but there's no doubt that there's always going to be animosity towards people that make a fair amount of money. People are jealous to some extent, or people think that these people didn't deserve it. So I don't if I spend too much time worrying about people not liking what I'm doing, I will never get anything done. And I think it's true of most people. You have to get used to criticism because no matter what area you're in, if you rise up, you'll get critics. People like to take other people down as a general rule of thumb, and so I get used to this after a while, and I basically think I can only do so much. I do what I think is right. People don't like it, then nothing much I can do about it.
Speaker 1: You've certainly made a lot, you know, a lot of very specific choices with some pretty incredible philanthropy over the years.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I get criticized for that too. Let me explain.
Speaker 3: Undoubtedly, there are people.
Speaker 2: I was an original signer of the Giving Pledge, and there were forty of us. And you know, I'm committed to giving away not.
Speaker 3: Half of my by Warren Buffett and Buffet, Bill.
Speaker 2: Gates and Will Indegates, and you're supposed to give away half your net worth and on your death or during your lifetime, and I have committed to giving away all of my money, and I'm working to do that. But I'll give you an example. I went to visit Monticello, and I many years ago, I thought it was run down from what I had thought it would be. And so I said to Monticello, which is Thomas Shejefferson's home. He designed it and lived in it. Can you fix this up? How much would it take? I'll put up the money, and they did. But I said, as part of this, I think you should tell the good in the band of Thomas Jefferson. He wrote the Declaration of Independence, but he's also a slave owner who during his lifetime owned more than seven hundred slaves, and he obviously had a long time relationship with one of his slaves, Sally Hemmings. So build out the slave quarter so people can come here they know the good in the band, And I think that's important in our history to do that. I've been criticized by some people on the right side of the spectrum saying, well, Rubinstein is so woke. He insisted that Thomas Jefferson's slave background be described. Why should we hear about that when we go tour Monticello. We should just know about the Declaration of Independence. What are you supposed to say to that?
Speaker 3: So selectively edit your history.
Speaker 2: So I think you'll always be criticized for anything you do in life, if it's of any importance. But if you spend your life worrying about people criticizing you, you will never get anything done. So in the end, I kind of shut out the fact that some people are going to criticize whatever I do, and I just go forward.
Speaker 1: And you've obviously met you know, you are very much public figure. With you with your media and television work. Does the work being does the work of interviewing and talking to people? Let me ask this a different way. Does your media work help you in your business and investing life?
Speaker 2: It wasn't intended to that. It's like, I don't play golf. That takes a lot of time. I don't drink alcohol that takes a lot of time. So I'm not going to bars or anything like that. So the time I would be going to bars or drinking alcohol or you know, going to wine tastings or playing golf, I have that time available to do other things I'm interested in. And I've taken up interviewing as a as a bit of a hobby a bit, and I enjoy it and I like the intellectual challenge of it, the preparation, learning things and so forth. So has it helped me in the business world. I wouldn't say it's hurt. I would say maybe it's helped in this sense. When I go around the world to raise money for Carlis or other kinds of business ventures I'm involved with. More and more people now identify me as this is the guy on television. So I notice that when I walk into a room, I hear the younger people saying, well, that's the guy from those interview shows. There are surprisingly many younger people who watch my interview shows, and I guess they're rebroadcast on YouTube or other kind of things. They think I'm a full time interviewer. They don't know that I have a business career and a whole life outside of just doing these interviews. But people come up to me in ways they didn't before and say, can I have a picture with you? And can I talk to you about how to get in the interview business? And I try to say, this is a very tiny part of my life, but people now think it's My entire life is being an interviewer. And it shows you the power of television power broadcast because the interview shows that I do for Bloomberger PBS tend to go all over the world, and so it has probably not hurt me. People know me better than they did before. Can I cite a specific investor that came in because they liked my interviews? I can't say that, but I can't say it's hurt me in any way that I know yet.
Speaker 1: Certainly, though, as you say, the intellectual challenge keeps things, keeps things firing. David, let me ask you. You are a native of Baltimore. How did you how did you go on the path to becoming a lawyer, to working in the Carter Administration and going into big business.
Speaker 2: My parents were both from Baltimore. They married when my father was twenty came back from World War Two. My mother was seventeen, an ungodly young age to get married.
Speaker 3: I was born more than totally unusual for those times.
Speaker 2: Not unusual. My mother dropped out of high school to get married, not unusual in those days. My father never came back to finish high school when he came back from the Marines in World War Two. They married more than nine months later I was born. I'm the only child. My father worked in the post office. He didn't have an education, so he worked on a blue collar job. I didn't have any money growing up, But in the end, it's a big advantage. Because you know you're going to get somewhere in life, you have to do it on your own. I got scholarships to go to Duke University and University of Chicago Law School, and then I practiced law in New York and then I wanted to go in the politics. That was my ambition, not to make money. I didn't care about money, and I went to work in the White House for President Carter. I'd worked in this campaign in nineteen seventy six. We won, and so you get to work in the White House you were in a winning campaign. I did that for four years. Ronald Reagan defeated US. I had to go back and practice law. I wasn't very good at it, and then I started in nineteen eighty seven a private equity firm in Washington became one of the largest in the world. So it's an unusual story because I didn't have a finance background. I would say that my government career wasn't so successful. I managed to get inflation to fifteen percent, which is higher than what we have now. So nobody's invited me back into government since those days. So that was my basic story.
Speaker 3: Got lucky.
Speaker 2: I got lucky, and my business career took off, and that enabled me to get involved in the land be and now the kind of kind of public broadcasting things I now do, and in this particular case, the interview where the interview the show we're talking about, is part of my effort to educate Americans about our history. The theory about history is that you don't learn the past, you're condemned to relive it. And the theory of our country is that it's a representative democracy, but it requires an informed citizenry, and we don't have an informed citizenry so much anymore. So as part of what I'm trying to do in philanthropy is to kind of educate Americans more about our history. I have many different programs that do this, and this is one of those programs.
Speaker 1: Well, and again, I think a lot of some really good conversations that enlighten complex subjects that can be covered in a thousand page book in a in a more conversational way. I think those are really helpful. I can imagine that those those kind of things that would be helpful to classrooms, to high school students and things like that.
Speaker 2: I do have some programs designed just for students, and I do them typically through the New York Historical Society. And let me mention one program that I've started that most people probably don't know about. I thought it'd be a good idea if the people that make our laws knew more about American history, so couldn't hurt. So once a month for the last seven years, I host an interview of a great American historian in front of only members of Congress, and I asked the members of Congress Democrats are Republicans, House and Senate members to sit with people from the opposite party in the opposite house so they can get to know them better. And maybe because there's no press there, nobody is preening for the press. Nobody is afraid to see be seen sitting next to somebody from the opposite party. It's members of Congress tell me after seven years, this is one of the most interesting things they're doing in Congress, coming to these dinners, because I just had one a few days ago with John Meachim. I interviewed him about his new Lincoln book, and members of Congress are obviously interested in Lincoln. There are no press there, so nobody feels they have to avoid somebody from the opposite party, and.
Speaker 3: So it's a preting I'm sorry, no preing.
Speaker 2: No preenings. So it's an interesting thing we do once a month, and I think it's a modest contribution to kind of bringing Washington together, though obviously a lot more worker than he needed to be done.
Speaker 3: Do you get a good turnout?
Speaker 2: We typically get two hundred and three hundred people, which is a lot.
Speaker 3: It's impressive, and.
Speaker 2: Just that particular one we had Nancy Pelosi, the former speaker, was there, Chuck Schumer, the current leader in the Democratic side of the House of the Senate, was there. And we have the Senate and House leaders come typically from time to time, plus committee chairs, and they all like it.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you.
Speaker 1: Let me close by asking you something you've probably been asked before. If is it, given your interest in history and you're interviewing your interviewing skills, who what figure from.
Speaker 3: History would you if you could summon someone back.
Speaker 1: From the past, who would you most like to interview or who would be in your top three of people to interview.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an interesting question because the interview format that we're now engaged in I kind of think as a form of education, entertainment and entertainment started probably in the Tonight Show in the nineteen fifties when Steve Allen before Jack Parr was the host, and then it evolved into daytime interview shows and the whole plethora of interview kind of formats we now have. But we don't have interviews of George Washington, we don't have interviews of Abraham Lincoln because the interview format didn't really exist in that way. So to answer your question, of course, I thought about this. I would love to have interviewed William Shakespeare and say, you know who really wrote those plays? No one person could have done that. Or King Henry the ads, why didn't you just get some prenups with your wives and rather than chop off their heads? It wouldn't have been easier. Or Cleopatra asked her who was a better lover? Mark Antney or Julius Caesar. But if there was one person I would like to interview, it's to me the greatest American of them all, and that's Abraham Lincoln. He held the country together, wasn't really educated, but he was a brilliant writer, incredible modesty, humility, and I just wanted to ask him. I'd love to ask him, you know why he felt it was so important to hold the union together? Why not just let the South go their way, and he wouldn't have all the pressures he had, but he would be the one I would want to interview for sure. Probably second would be George Washington for all the obvious reasons. If the people alive today that if I could interview any of them, probably the Pope if he doesn't tend to do a lot of interviews with people named David Rubinstein, so I suspect I probably won't get that interview.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Be sure to leave us a review at Apple Podcast. We love to hear from listeners. Please go to Variety dot com, look for the Newsletters tab and sign up for the free weekly Strictly Business newsletter. Don't forget to tune in next week for another episode of Strictly Business.
Speaker 2: Keep two