Speaker 1: Tuesday, August sixth, and TUSA had a huge day at the Paris Olympics on Monday.
Speaker 2: The WUIs athletes have now won seventy eight Olympic medals, twenty of them goal China now at fifty three total medals. In France, the home team still in the third place with forty eight.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to Amy and TJ. Folks. That might have been the last time that we will ever see Simone Biles compete in an Olympics, and she was at the center of a wild final day of gymnastics competition. This all happening in Paris.
Speaker 3: Of course, I guess you could call it the unbalanced beam. Why did so many athletes, including Simone and Sunni fall in the finals? Uncharacteristic of both of them was the audience shushing too much, And then the floor exercise became a head scratcher and a heartbreaker for at least one athlete who thought she had secured the bronze.
Speaker 2: Plus two athletes who swam in the river Senne as part of the triathlon have now withdrawn from the Games illness. Also, pushing and shoving during the women's five thousand meter race led to a runner being disqualified and being stripped of a silver metal, but they gave it back to her two hours later.
Speaker 4: We'll explain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of flip flopping there. Yesterday, Welcome to another Tea from Pere edition of our podcast. And it's already been a busy morning. We've watched how many events already.
Speaker 2: Well, the sport climbing three meters springboard, men's diving, and then we moved over to sport climbing. They were doing Boulder this morning. And where is she from Slovo, Slovakia, Jakia and was a young sorry Slovenia.
Speaker 1: She was amazing watching her just just attack the wall. Everybody else struggling, swinging, falling. She was like boo boo, boo, boo boo, and she went straight up. And now we moved on to women's park skateboarding, which is so cool.
Speaker 2: It just started and I don't know who and this is I think we might we mentioned this yesterday. We might give a gold, a silver and a bronze to broadcasters at the end of this because there are some commentators who clearly we're watching skateboarding.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Whoever is doing the commentary has skated before, but explaining things in the best of ways to folks like us who just see people going up and down on a skateboard, but she's explaining the technical side of it, and it's you find yourself getting educated and some are so good at that, and whoever this is, she's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were asking questions and then ten seconds later she answered all of them, because you know, you're like, wait, what just happened? What does that mean? What happens next? And so when you have the really good commentators who know their stuff but also know how to explain it to us who don't understand the technical it's fantastic to happen.
Speaker 2: Some of them are great. So it really hats off to a lot of them who are.
Speaker 4: Doing really, really, really great work over there.
Speaker 2: But yes, we're watching women's Park Now skateboarding, and we know a little about this because we talked to some of the US skateboarders who are going to be doing park later.
Speaker 4: But it's like, look at that. These are children.
Speaker 2: We're literally looking at teenagers as Olympians competing in skateboard, but they've all.
Speaker 1: Been skateboarding since they were four or five, you know, And this is the women's happened today and then the men's are our three Americans who we spoke to. We are so excited to root them on. They compete tomorrow, so we're looking forward to that as well. But man, what a day it was in the gym, in the arena for gymnastics was I couldn't believe how dramatic it all became yesterday the balance beam finals. It was hard to watch. You already have a hard time watching the balance beam, but how was it for you yesterday?
Speaker 4: I hate the balance beam.
Speaker 2: I just I hate watching the balance me and so much of what we watch in the Olympics. Maybe other people and maybe you and others feel this way. It doesn't matter if it's what country it is. I want to see everybody do well. Yes, I want Siman and soon need to win. But anytime are there competitor falls, your heartbreaks. I don't want to see them do badly. And so the balance being certainly gymnastic, but the beam sucks.
Speaker 1: And yesterday it sucks. It was it was really difficult. Half of the eight competitors fell off the beam. These are the best of the best. These are the top eight competitors from everyone who came as top olympians from their countries, and four of the eight fell.
Speaker 4: That's wait in show.
Speaker 2: I would you know, I'm trying to look it up while we were telling the story of what the fall percentage is on the beam in high in competitions. Because these, like you said, these are the eight you could essentially say the eight best women in the world on this apparatus competa.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, absolutely and it still took down half of them. And you know what, I've always said this too, and I think anyone who's competed knows. You get a momentum going either way. And also there's a contagion that can happen when someone else starts falling. It just gets in your head. So both Sony Lee and Simone fell. Simone ended up finishing fifth, Soony ended up finishing sixth. It was shocking. It was a game changer. But we were very excited to see italy as Alistamada taking the gold because we've been rooting her on. She has this beautiful ballerina like elegance to her every time she competes, and so it was fun to see her take the gold on that. But then it was interesting to hear what Simone and soon he said about the competition. They said that the crowd affected their routines. The audience was shushing other gymnasts who were cheering on their fellow athletes during the balance beam final, and some of the gymnasts and coaches all said there was kind of an awkward atmosphere during the beam in the gymnasium on Monday, and I think they were well meaning audience members, but they were trying to silence the athletes, but it didn't have and other spectators, but it didn't have the intended effect because Simone actually looked bewildered after her beam performance and she could be heard asking Sunny, why are they shushing? And then Simone actually told reporters it was really weird and awkward, not our favorite. None of us liked it. And I've said this to you my small amount of competing in gymnastics. When it's quiet, it's the worst because you know everyone's looking at you. I prefer to have the floor exercise music on and other athletes competing because in your mind you can kind of just focus and think, oh, they're not all looking at me. And some of the gymnasts said it actually the noise emulates practice allows them to focus and they don't have to be so worried. That makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense to me because I am from not from that world. So we're watching. When we were watching the all around and things go, the competition, the team competition, everybody's so if you're on your balance beam, somebody's over there performing on the uneven bar, somebody's over there on floor exercise, somebody's over there on the other prece.
Speaker 4: So all that noise is going on.
Speaker 2: And so I was watching, and I often say when watching the balance beam, like damn, why did that not throw her off? She doesn't know if those people are gasping because of her, or cheering because of her or somebody else. That noise is what I thought was a distraction, But there is to it.
Speaker 4: Gymnasts welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're used to it. It's kind of like when you're used to there always being just some sort of a like a white noise ish kind of thing going on. You tune it out, but you almost kind of embrace it because it makes you feel like, you know, you can just focus on your thing.
Speaker 2: World class they know, and they know better. They weren't making excuses. They were talking about you need to make clear there they weren't making excuses, but it was a real thing.
Speaker 1: And they were being asked, why did everybody fall off the beam? And that was just something that came to them and it makes sense to me. Okay, this didn't make sense to me at all what happened on the floor exercise. By the way, Simone won silver in floor exercise and that brings her total up to this Olympics to four medals. She had three golds and one silver, but this was the first time she has not one gold on floor ever. And we saw Brazil's Rebecca Androge, who we've loved watching. She won gold, but there was a confusing inquiry because Romania thought they had won bronze. They had the flag up, they were celebrating, but Teamy ussays Jordan Childs ultimately one bronze. She moved up from fifth to third after her coaches put in an inquiry about a specific move the jet. Her coaches actually said they didn't think anything would come of it, and so her coach actually described having her back turned and she heard Jordan's scream when she saw her score shoot up by a tenth of a point, which is all it took for her to go up into third, and I just had to feel so bad for that poor Romanian gymnast who thought she had won. There was confusion for a while, but in the end Simone and Jordan were on the podium second and third.
Speaker 2: That was another Olympic moment and it was an awful one. Now this is not from the perspective of Jordan Childs and these are the rules and you can do it. But Romania has not had a metal in gymnastics in the Olympics for twenty years now, twenty plus years, and the young lady won a medal, a bronze for her country. So they have the flag out of folks, you've seen this. They drape themselves in the flag. They've thrown it up in pride in front of the whole audience, and that whole the whole country's celebration.
Speaker 1: Stopped was celebrating.
Speaker 2: It sucked to see that, just that that has to happen. That's just it was an awful, awful moment for them. But it's within the rules. The inquiry is just simply you asking them to go back and review the scores, period And sure enough, they talk about this all the time, being a game of inches or just a little hop or tenth of a point or thousands of a point, not just it suck. Your heartbreaks Romania.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the best explanation I got was that she didn't get full credit for something she had actually done. And so if the inquiry leads to a more fair score than obviously, that's what we want every correct That's what every athlete would want, even the person who ended up not getting the bronze, you wouldn't want to win, you know, because there was poor judging. You want to win fair and square, and so hopefully that is exactly what happened. And look to see the Romanian gymnast and just everyone in that audience, just their faces fall and just the crushing where you thought you meddled and then you didn't. But then to also see Jordan's excitement, I mean, she was just beyond excited. And that was as sweet. It was like just so bittersweet because you were excited for Jordan, but your heart sank for Romania.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not our athlete, Romanian that but you do. You're pulling for all of them. But that was a special moment for the country that was yanked and they have to wait another possible four years.
Speaker 1: And now yes, and now you know the next questions will be for some moments. She's already been asked, are you coming back LA twenty twenty eight. She has not. Obviously, she hasn't ruled it out, but she did say this, I've accomplished way more than my wildest dreams, not just at these Olympics, but in monastics, walking away with four medals. I'm not mad about it. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Speaker 2: She should be, And you know, I learned something about her in the past couple of days. We know how grave of an athlete as she is, and she's the goat. We know these things. You know what, It was really cool to see her be a fan, to see her sportsmanship, and to see her be such a supporter of her teammates was really cool.
Speaker 1: You're talking too much the medal stand.
Speaker 2: No, well, that's part of it, but just in the team competitions and in the individual competitions, even seeing her in the crowd the other day being supportive of her team. She is a member of a team. We know she's great, but to see her perform and behave on the sideline in that way you're like, oh, okay, she's not just a great athlete, she's a great teammate, she's a great sportsman. It was that part was great, and what they planned at the podium was one of my favorite moments the Olympic.
Speaker 1: Yeah I missed it. I had to go. I was actually going to lunch with my daughter meeting her new college roommate and her roommate's mom, and so I have to leave, and you were texting me, Oh my gosh, you just missed the most amazing podium moment.
Speaker 2: It might have been my favorite, one of my It's in the top five. It's been a lot, but you think of it. Simone So Rebecca Androgi of Brazil beat Simone Biles fair and square on the floor and.
Speaker 1: Simone has never not gotten gold on the floor.
Speaker 2: Exit Peter fair and square. And you know who knew that immediately was Simone Biles. She was called on this island. She could was overheard saying I think she's got this one.
Speaker 4: She knew it.
Speaker 2: So the ceremonies, Simones get the silver. She's on the left side. You got Jordan Childs on the right side, She's got the bronze. And then in the middle and then high as part of that podium is Rebecca Androgi. As soon as they say her name announce her as the gold medalist. Simone and Jordan, in a coordinated and clearly planned and practice moment, turned to her and bowed.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: They turned to her and bowed.
Speaker 2: It was just a cute, sweet giving this woman her moment, who has lost out several times to these two women in the past, and to acknowledge her greatness and to see a Simone bowels give somebody that kind of credit.
Speaker 1: You know they've earned it.
Speaker 4: Loved it.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. I just so I didn't see it, but you just describing it just gave me chills right now. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Loved it and we can't forget that. Yesterday we talked about the balance beam, the men's high bar. Oh, yesterday was it was a train wreck and.
Speaker 1: There was so there were no American athletes, so I know there isn't as much coverage here in the United States, but we watched it all and that that was the women's balance beam, was the men's high bar.
Speaker 4: Yesterday it was I don't count.
Speaker 1: I don't know how there wasn't serious injury. When they are gaining this unreal momentum swinging around. When they fall off, it's hard, and then they have to get back up, literally dust themselves off, and then get back up there and finish. I don't know how they do it. I've said I just walk out. I just I would run out.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the falls?
Speaker 2: Some of them fell off during the routine, but we saw at least two, probably three guys on their dismount. It's one thing to take a hop or a step. They landed and completely dove forward onto.
Speaker 1: Their faces, landed on their stomachs.
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 1: It kind of like, how how soon he fell on the beam? That was tough on her stomach, that's tough. But they all got back up, and that actually could make me like cry and choke up. They, every single one of them, from the beam to the high bar, got back up and finished their routines, oh, knowing that they had zero shot of a metal, knowing that their score actually didn't matter, And they did it anyway. And I loved watching the crowd.
Speaker 4: As soon as those guys fall, they start clapping and cheering.
Speaker 2: But they were competing as well in silence, right, yes, yesterday, So Nobody talked about that as being an issue with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but that could have had an impact. I mean I get tears in my eye just seeing the resilience and the pride and just oh the hard work that went into that moment. Oh and the devastation.
Speaker 4: But you talk about that science.
Speaker 2: This is the place has a capacity of twenty thousand, so we're not used to in at twenty thousand seat stadium that it's loud because of NBA team is playing in that type of capacity. Think of twenty thousand being quiet just watching you.
Speaker 4: That's what's real pressure. That's entirely too much. So but congress to them. But the gymnastics is done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh it was so awesome. I actually think this was one of my favorite years. It was just so incredible to watch and filled with so much drama.
Speaker 2: But ugh, kid from Colombia, we gotta mention that's the first ever medal in gymnastics for.
Speaker 1: College seventeen years old. He was a megastar on that high bar and he we will not that will not be the last we see of him.
Speaker 4: The guy you love from uh the got a medal from Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Yah, gotta medal as well. He was literally two heads taller than his UH compadres who were on the metal stand with But it was fun to watch and so happy he got a medal as well.
Speaker 2: All right, we want you want to turn now to the to our EC updates. Yes, so we got now two Olympic athletes who have dropped out of competition because of illness. But these two are of particular note because they had both previously competed in the triathlon, which means they had to swim in the river Sin. So Belgium they decided they are not going to compete in the mixed relay after Claire Michelle, bless you, robok is sick as well, Get that out of me.
Speaker 4: But the Belgium.
Speaker 2: Belgium decided they were not going to compete in the mixed relay because one of their athletes, Claire Michelle, got sick. They did not specify what the illness was, but Claire Michelle had done the triathlon days prior and had to swim in the sin And so when an athlete who's been in that water ends up being sick, people do robes obviously take note of. And then there you got Adrian Brifford of Switzerland.
Speaker 4: He had an issue as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he dropped off his country's mixed relay team because of what they are calling a gastro intestinal infection. In a statement, this was that it was impossible to know if it was related to the water in the Sine. Of course, they probably don't want to upset the home country as well by throwing shade at the Seine, and maybe there is no way to tell. But you know what, my dad was always this is so funny. My dad, the microbiologist who was giving us some scientific information about the sin and what ecoli does to your body and whether or not you can inoculate yourself from it, which you cannot. But he would always tell me, whatever the incubation period is, you can kind of go back and figure out what it was. So this would be how many days since they swam in the river sind from when they got sick, Exuesday, they swam on Sunday, Sunday, and then forty eight hours, my dad would be able to tell you, like that's exactly when they got it, Like he knows what the incubation period is. We should have called him. It's too early, but we can probably give you that update. But that actually is the way you can go back and trace to see where you got infected. So if it's a forty eight hour thing, it's probably undeniably the sen. I mean, look, my dad has told me in certain countries this is the truth. Where I'm traveling to for work. Often when I'm in the shower, to close my mouth and close my eyes, and to actually shower with your back to the shower head, because you don't want to ingest any of that water, not even a little bit. So imagine, as so many swimmers say they do when they're swimming. Just you. You you actually drink in a lot of the water uncontrollably. So it would make sense marathon swimming in the sen Thursday and Friday. How about that for a We can't wait, mom, I think it's I believe it's like a ten k basically, right, So yeah, six point something miles in this sin because they only swim, I say, only.
Speaker 4: But what if?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this will be a lot more water ingested yea, yea to those swimmers cowing.
Speaker 2: Up later, Look, they want to compete. I don't know if they're we're talking about it. I don't know how much they're talking about it.
Speaker 1: It's It's funny. I've seen different some of the swimmers coming out saying it's the most beautiful venue ever, it's the most beautiful place I've ever swum, and then other people saying it's disgusting. There was debris underneath me. I don't want to know what it was. So it depends on the swimmer.
Speaker 4: You act debris underneath me.
Speaker 2: You never want to swim in anything and you have to say there's debris underneath it.
Speaker 1: It was actually one of the Belgian swimmers who said, I don't want to know. I just swam through. That's probably better.
Speaker 2: Because we know, let's get out of the water and let's go to the track. And track is generally it's not supposed to be a contact sport, but there was some pushing and shoving during the women's five thousand meter final, so much so that these second place finisher was disqualified after the race. But the story did not end there. We're talking about Faith Kipyegon of Kenya, the current world champion, was in the lead on the inside lane two laps to go. Okay Gudaf Sagui of Ethiopia then made a move and rope she was trying to get the lead. Okay, they always want to be on that inside lane. So the guy was trying to move in on the space Kipiegon was occupying at the time. So Kipiegon just gave it. It was kind of a yo, get off of me kind of a thing. You just got some full pushes, some just kind of a almost looked like they were playing hands eas you know, they were just kind of doing that thing. Well, a lot of folks roads looked at that, including the officials, and said that's too much. And afterwards, sure enough, she ended up in second, but quickly disqualified for what the officials called obstructing another runner. Again, she finished second, that's a silver medal, but immediately was told disqualified for her obstruction.
Speaker 4: So that's the end of the story.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, because she appealed the disqualification and that disqualification was overturned. But it took what two hours for them to make that call. So in the meantime they had given first, second, third place to the second and third to other runners.
Speaker 2: And the third place runner from Italy ended up with a bronze. Ended up in fourth in the race, but with the disqualification, moved up to third. The disqualification was then nullified, which means.
Speaker 1: The fourth that you say is the worst place to finish any race, Okay, I'll correct myself.
Speaker 2: You know what's even worse than finishing fourth is thinking you won third and then they push you back the fourth, right, This sucks for her, which is exactly.
Speaker 1: What happened in gymnastics too. It's so interesting.
Speaker 4: It sucks.
Speaker 2: You win a medal and then there's a review and the medal is taken away, not because of something you did, something that's completely out of your control.
Speaker 4: So this whole story, my heart actually goes.
Speaker 2: Out to the Italian runner who was in fourth gets a bronze or thinks she does, and then it's later taken away hours later. But a lot of folks who reviewed this and looked at it, and folks who are experts in this, thought the disqualification was too much.
Speaker 4: It was a little.
Speaker 1: Even the NBC commentator actually said that she believed that Siguy was the one who should actually have been If there was ever anyone in those two who should be disqualified or have some sort of issue, it should have been her, because you know, she's the one who was trying to get in the other runner's lane, and so she was inserting herself in a way that she shouldn't have.
Speaker 4: So she was in the capego, was in the lead.
Speaker 2: So it's not like she didn't have anybody to push, right, So it's not she was just doing her thing.
Speaker 4: So the other girl tried to come in and get into her space.
Speaker 1: She was a solid. I mean, she was in second place. She's that was a silver medal win. There was no photo finish. I mean, she absolutely was clearly in second place. Funny enough, the woman who went from silver to bronze, so she ended up getting third place. She said she absolutely expected that to happen. And she said, you know, I want to make sure I say her name right.
Speaker 4: Look, they know their sport, Hassan, right.
Speaker 1: She said that. She said that she knew she deserved the silver, and so she had no problem taking the bronze.
Speaker 2: And look those two and I saw the top two finishers here ended up being teammates from Kenya. And look, these women race all year long against each other. They know each other well, but in a lot of them train, they know this sport. So if they don't have an issue, I don't have an issue.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I think that's a good way to look at it. Well, we are watching a lot of events today. Fifteen gold medal events are up for grabs, a lot of them in high profile metal events. In track and field. This has been fun to watch. Team USA's two time Olympic medalist Gabby Thomas is going to go for her first gold medal in the women's two hundred meter and I am so excited about this one. On the men's side, a possible show down. This will be among raining Olympic champ, Norway's Jacob Ingebritson, Great Britain's reigning world champ Josh Kerr, and then the twenty twenty four US champ Cole Hawker. Experts are expecting this is what they're saying, one of the most vicious and hardest fifteen hundreds the sport has seen in a very long time.
Speaker 4: This is a fun, fun race.
Speaker 2: That's it because it's you know, it's a fast race, but it's still several laps they have to do. But to see that group stay together, the strategies and that whoever has that sprint kick at the end. I appreciate this race, oh almost more than anything in track and field.
Speaker 1: I get so nervous when they all obviously go to the inside lane and fight for position, I mean, which is what we saw happening in the women's But I just don't even know how, like, oh, it's crazy to watch nolal lyles in the even in the one hundred go from last to first, is crazy how they position themselves all right, basketball men's basketball, Lebron Kevin Durant, Steph Kerr along with Team USA. They are facing Brazil and a trip to the semifinals is on the line, so they need to win this one that happens at three Eastern time. And then, oh, I'm so this is probably the thing I'm most excited about today. As we promised earlier, we will not forget the US women's soccer team. They are taking on Germany. That happens at noon Eastern time, and that is what we are planning our day around.
Speaker 2: I don't know who else is to I don't know how other people are watching. I know the ratings will now I have been off the charts. I don't understand the ratings anymore because it's not just TV, it's not just broadcast, it's not just NBC. They count USA, they count streaming this, so I don't get it, but clearly.
Speaker 4: These have really really been going well. But are people watching live or are they most people watching?
Speaker 1: I It depends if what your job is, and maybe even people. The nice thing is because you can put up on your computer. If you're in your cubicle, you can have it up and watching. So it's just nice to have the option to be able to watch it streaming somewhere. You could even watch it on your phone.
Speaker 4: People have peacock, Yeah, a lot of people have.
Speaker 1: We get a little bit of a hard time finding We had a very hard time finding the soccer matches yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was it eighty five degrees and we were running through the streets of midtown going into twelve places.
Speaker 4: You all got peacock to see.
Speaker 1: We finally we finally found it was like our fourth or fifth place. We finally found it, but they didn't have peacock. They found some Spanish channel that had it on poor quality. You were like, let's get out of here, we're watching. So then we race on the subway to try and make it back to my apartment while they're going through this is this is just halftime, right?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: We left the bar a little before halftime so we could time it to get on a train and get set up at home in time for the second half.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was uh, this was our day yesterday. Yes, it's all about getting in front of a TV. So it's been fun. We are excited. We still have a few more days left, and of course we will be watching for you and you can keep listening to us. You can get all the t from Perry right here every day.
Speaker 4: Okay, find that name might stick