Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: We were on.
Speaker 1: With mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: It is Tuesday, September seventeenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number thirty one. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from that WBC Mortgage Studios at the Start, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot Com Forward slash O led Evo. All right, let's go. We got lots of things we're gonna get into today. Cowboys are into now starting to flip the page from the debacle that was last Sunday versus the Saints, and as of tomorrow, will start on their preparation for the upcoming game against the Baltimore Ravens. Yesterday, Mike McCarthy had his time with the media and there were a couple of things that came out of that, as well as Jerry Jones this morning on Sean RJ and Bobby where he had a couple comments. But we'll talk about a little bit a little bit about those things. Brian in the second segment is going to have a game for us. He's got some questions. We'll go into the mind of Brian brought us. And then finally in the third segment, we will take some time, much to the chagrin of Amber, We'll take some time to let you guys sound that means you didn't like the idea, but we're gonna go anyway. And I really want to advocate for our fans here and give him an opportunity to call in and so you're justly and talk to us, and you got to be able to call us.
Speaker 2: Through this.
Speaker 3: We want you to call us eight eight five five.
Speaker 6: To you need to advocate for the fans. We will try to make Tuesday a day that you can actually reach out. Yes and Wolf, make Derek make time for you guys, because ever since this podcast that NICKI what does it call again?
Speaker 4: Storyline?
Speaker 7: Storyline?
Speaker 3: You just want to take a shot at Nick storylines.
Speaker 6: It's we can talk to the fans too. Okay, let's give them a voice here.
Speaker 3: We just can't give them T shirts.
Speaker 6: Derek is too cheap, so he won't allow us to come up with shirts to give away.
Speaker 3: No, we only do shirts on storyline, and we only do that once. All right, let's let's jump in. Let's talk about Mike McCarthy. Yesterday, he had his time with the media. One thing he talked about, uh, this was a reaction to the loss. He said, we look like a young, inexperienced football team, calling them veterans to make an impact mentally and physically. Were the problems as you went back and looked at it, were the problems that you saw related to youth and an experience?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean when we went through we'd started talking about miss blocks, guys stumbling on routes, you know, guys not extending for the ball, left tackle, center, you know, how about your how about Mayr Sleafal at linebacker? Yeah, they got a lot of young guys playing, and that was something I felt like that when he said it, I it was a very clear picture that they are relying on a lot of young guys to play, and and that's no excuse, but young guys. They're going to make mistakes. They're not going to get the blocks all the time. They're not going to run the right routes all the time. They're they're going to jump around blocks. They're going to play like they're at Oklahoma or at Notre Dame or South Carolina and into these other places with those Yeah, yeah, you know, it's a little bit different. So yeah, I think that if that's part of the that's part of the the hazard of playing young guys is they they will eventually go from being guys inexperience to having experience, and you know, you hate to have a game where, you know, but there was a there was a lot wrong with really the whole team. It wasn't just the young guys, but it was pretty evident when you watch the tape that there were young guys in positions or that they put in position to make plays that for their first time, it was it was a little bit of a daunting task.
Speaker 6: You know, I give a lot of credit to all these younger players and what they're doing. Again, you're you took a gamble in the offseason. You took a gamble during free agency and decided to go the drafting route once again and rely on that. And that's a big gamble that you take on putting hoping that these young players can perform to the level that you need them to perform. And just like Ryan mentioned, it's not it wasn't just the young players. It was a collective thing with everything exactly. But but the point is you knew that going in. And I don't like to pressure these young players and blame them and all that, because that's completely unfair. I think they're doing a good job. There is time for the development, growth and those kind of experiences.
Speaker 7: You only get it through actual game day.
Speaker 6: You can practice as much as you want on during training camp, week to week practices, but the actual experience and growth in that aspect just comes from actual game day plays. And it's just that's that's what that's what they're that's what they have, and that's what they got to figure out and deal with. And it sucks to be put in that situation, but there's no other way.
Speaker 4: They eventually grow up. What you don't have is time, yeah, and and and and what happens when you're a draft and developed team is you're always going to go this route. You're not going to you know, and especially if you have, uh, the players on your roster that are the top players in the league, you're gonna have to play with a lot of younger guys. And and that's the way it really is around all the league. And you know, the coaches, they they you know, they're they have a lot of faith in these kids. They have a lot of faith. And I mean when they talk about lea foul and they I mean, I remember his visiting with Mike Zimmer at training camp, like, gosh, this kid gets it. He understands that he's he's talented, you know that. And you're going on and on and on and and they you know, and then he plays in the game and then you're kind of like, man, he looked like he missed this reader, he missed that reader, he missed this. And I'm just saying him, I'm not.
Speaker 3: In general just a Gerald.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of guys like could say Brooks is a really young guy. Everybody is saying, oh, well, Brooks is better than Tolbert Brooks. You know, they kept saying Brooks, Brooks, Brooks, and You're like going, okay, well, you know, Tolbert has a little bit more experience. But yeah, let's go with Brooks. And you know, you miss a block on the edge, you get overpowered there by the nickel corner, and then you do you fall down running on an inside route, Well, you can't fall down. That's to be an interception. Ninety percent of the time. If you're running an inbreaking route and you fall down, somebody in the middle fields can intercept that ball. But those are experience he has. He's like, Okay, I've got to be a little bit more controlled on my brakes. I got to make sure that when I plant that I don't stumble. And I think a lot of guys it was a very eye opening game for a lot of guys. You know, as much where where Guidon's eye opening moment was in Cleveland last week. When you watch Miles Garrett rush, you're like, going, damn, this is the NFL. I'm not blocking somebody from you know, Louisiana Monroe or any you know, I'm blocking real dudes here right now. You no offense to Louisiana Monroe. But you do what I'm saying there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's go on to a conversation that our question that was asked about the effectiveness of the running game. Mike McCarthy says, the run game is difficult. It's a commitment to the run game. It's tough to play if you don't play it all the time. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to fundamentals. Jerry followed up this morning when asked about the running games, and he was specifically asked about Dalvin Cook. His respons was, I don't necessarily see a change that would involve Cook this week. My question for you guys is does Dallas need more commitment to the run or do they need different personnel, because it really is I try it. It could be both.
Speaker 4: I tried to help you in week one. I tried to help you in week one with game in hand and just go ahead and try and work on the running game. You know, there could have been a commitment there. You know, this is where sometimes coaches drive me nuts, where you talk about there needs to be a commitment. There could have been a commitment in the second half of the Browns game with game in hand. You knew they weren't coming back on you. You know, if you run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, and you keep going three and out with Okay, now you have an idea, we committed it to fix. Yeah, we now understand that. To me, the running game was not a problem in this game. You know why, because there was no need to go to the running game. You were behind twenty one to three, twenty one to six, twenty eight to you know it, just this, you never got to stop to where you know, now if the game would have would it would have been able to if you'd got closed and had got tight and you okay, we've got to run the ball here to to try and you know, get first downs and stuff like that. Yeah, okay, I get it. That's but you were so the score was so whacked and you weren't gonna stop them. The only way you had a chance of coming back in this game is throwing the football. Last week was the week to work on the running game when the game was in hand. You know that, that to me was the missed opportunity. Even Zach Martin said that, you know, don't you don't have to believe me, failed NFL scout. Believe the guy that's playing right guard for you, he's the one. We might have missed an opportunity there, you know, and all of a sudden if you, you know, maybe we would have felt better about the running game if all of a sudden, you're running against Cleveland at you know, second half, and you're like, well, that's a pretty good front seven you're running against right there. You know, now we have this unknown feeling. We still have an unknown feeling, even when we had a chance to maybe either say, hey, this thing is going to be all right, or boy, we're in an s load of trouble right now, you know, and we don't know that. We're saying, well, you got to be committed to it. Well, you could have committed it to game in hand. You missed an opportunity there.
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, that's exactly I mean, going into week three, that's not an ideal situation to be in. And I mean I would hope that we do see Dalvin Cook going to this game, but because that at least gives you.
Speaker 7: A new something to work with.
Speaker 6: What you're putting on film right now, what you've put on film this past two weeks. Who are you scary? You're not scarying anybody. Like, no defensive coordinator is looking at this game saying, oh man, we got to make sure we stop them. From running the ball. It's not happening. You haven't done it, you haven't shown or proved that you can do it. And I've had faith going into this game. I do still think that if they come up with different ways to do it and be more creative with it, that there is a possibility for these running backs to be able to actually run the football and be more effective than what they've been. But like you say, Brian, they missed that chance week one, when they the game, they had it in hand.
Speaker 7: They could have tried different.
Speaker 6: Things and have a better whether good or bad. Right, you know, Okay, this is what we got and this is what we can do. So again, hopefully this is a week where we do see despite what Jerry Jones commented and said, I hope we do see Darvin Cook go in there and hopefully he's in good shape. He is in good shape, he's healthy, but hopefully he can add some spark and bring something else to the run game.
Speaker 4: We're all learning about these metrics when you have backs, but it's not just Zeke. When you have backs that have not made anybody miss, that's a metric. That's the stat they keep missed, you know, make people miss Dallas both backs neither one. I think vond three.
Speaker 3: I had seven last week, right, seven in game two?
Speaker 4: Right, So you have in the game where you don't have anybody miss and then all of a sudden, look at ten yard runs. You know you're near the bottom of the league in that. So to me, this week was a you weren't going to run because there was no reason to run. You were you were too far behind. You're playing catchup. So it's still now here. We go into week three and there's that that unknown factor. If you run the ball, you're like, okay, great, But now it's kind of like, well, how committed he talks about being committed? How committed are you going to be? You know going forward? That that's what bothers me out. Coaches they say you have to be committed. Well, Mike, you can make that call. You're the primary play caller. You look down your play card and you say, okay, today this series, I'm going to try this, I'm going to try this, I'm going to do that, And you know, I don't know, It's just I don't know why you'd want to keep not knowing.
Speaker 6: Well, also, in this game, I feel like how it's going now it's starting to add that unnecessary pressure to it where it's like, now maybe he sees himself being forced to Okay, let's try to run the ball more, even in situation where you don't necessarily want to. So I think it starts with that added pressure. It starts taking away from from the logic aspect of the game and be more logical and the things in the plays that you should run.
Speaker 3: I will point this out Brian talking about those mistackles. I think for this last game, Daddle, as I said, had seven on four carries, which to me is not a bad clip. That's a little better than what the other guys are doing. You certainly want more, as you were saying, we want more volume. I want to see what that looks like if you get to fifteen carries or twelve carries, even like having four carries is just not enough. And I understand how the game played out, but that did give me reason to believe that maybe just make you and I can be right on this one, that Donald can be a guy that can carry. They just got to give him opportunity to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think you're gonna see Dalvin Cook. I really don't I don't know how they get him up. That's that's the thing that Jerry. I mean, they're probably looking at other situations, at other positions and stuff, and probably feeling far more pressed than having Dalvin Cook up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't think a lot.
Speaker 4: Of Dalvin Cook might be a break glass in case of emergency. Guy and I you know they I don't know. They probably don't look at it that way right now.
Speaker 3: And quite frankly, as the season goes on again, I don't know that any of these backs are the type that really put fear, as you said, Amber in opposing defense. So maybe the thought is hold Dalvin and it just gives a new wrinkle later in the season as you make if you need him or if you don't need him, it's just a new rink.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't I don't know, to be honest with you, I don't know if we can if I don't know about the back. I think I have an idea about the backs. I don't know about the line. I think this running game could be really good because maybe the backs, but the line could be awful, you know, Or it could be a really good running game with the line and the backs are not any good. That was my fear, that that they were going to be able to create lanes and holes and gaps and stuff, but they weren't able to get somebody to and through the hole. That was that was my big issue. There's so many still we don't even know.
Speaker 3: There's so many question marks when you think about the offensive line and you think about the backs that it's like everything has to go right right, There's so many question marks, so many things that are not what you thought they were, or you just didn't know because you didn't have the experience of knowing. All right, let's go ahead and uh and take our first break. We'll come back. We'll get into the mind of Brian brought us. He's got some great questions for us. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per a. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires campable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 10: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 3: Take five is.
Speaker 11: So fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The winds will be even tastier.
Speaker 7: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward. The way you need it to Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank Offamerica dot com. Bank of America NA member fd I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 6: Back to the Break, lgoled Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash o Ledevil Welcome Back.
Speaker 3: It is the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios. At the start of the segment, brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's go into the mind of Brian brought us which you got for us.
Speaker 4: I got a few questions for you guys, and I know you guys will give me some good answers, So here we go. Ag. I'll start with you, did Tolbert's overall play make you feel better about the receivers behind lamb.
Speaker 7: Um better than last year?
Speaker 6: Yes, if we're comparing it, if we're using something to compare it with, I think Tolbert has taken a step up in his in the way that he plays branding Cooks. He's still branding Cooks, and I mean he's still very talented and skilled and fast and everything, and Tolbert, he he's grown. And I would say, like if you look at what happened last year, the way he played, and also what they had in Michael Gallup last year, which was not much. He never recovered from really from that injury and what he was dealing with. But this year and even some of the plays that we saw this past weekend, I thought he's playing with more confidence, more he's more assertive in the decisions that he's making. He still needs to be better, but I think he I feel a lot more comfortable with the receivers right now behind Ceedy Land.
Speaker 4: Do his overall play in that game make you feel better about the receivers behind Lamb.
Speaker 3: It's a two part question for me. I'm a two point answer for me. I think I feel better about the third wide receiver position than what I felt last year about Michael Gallup. I still feel like the wide receiver position isn't getting what it needs from Brandon Cooks because I look at that and I'm like, giving him two opportunities in a game where you're down by as much as you were that. To me, you're not utilizing him.
Speaker 7: You need he needs. I was gonna say, I mean, are you putting it on him?
Speaker 3: No, no, this is not this is not on him. He has what happened at two targets, right, he had two targets and two catches for nineteen yards, So it ain't on him. And what I will say is what I don't know, and I'll have to I'll have to defer on this one because I haven't still a chance to get to my film yet.
Speaker 7: Come on, crazy, system isn't working.
Speaker 3: But but I haven't been able to see was he not getting open? Where there are bad routes? I know at least one player I saw in real time he was wide open. Now the playmate, now I've been to designed for him, so I get all that. But but but my point is, I think there are opportunities that I think are being left on the field when it comes to Brandon Cooks. And to me, that's where I want to see more for the receiver position. I'm glad. I think the third wide receiver position, I think you've upgraded from what you were getting out of Michael Gallup at the point at the end of his career, and so I do think that improves, but they got to get more. They got to figure out how to get Cooks more involved in.
Speaker 4: The Cooks was he was open and some of those and that just doesn't always get him the ball. That's something that's it's it's it's mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes his speed is a difference maker.
Speaker 4: It is difference maker, it really really is. And the thing the only issue that I had with Tolbert in that game, I wish the ball he would just extend it for that ball went right before the half when Dak threw it to him along the sideline. Yeah, by waiting on the ball, he let Tyron Matthew have a run at him, you know. And if he if he extends it, secures it, then gets down or gets out of bounce, maybe he doesn't take that hit. Then I mean, that's a big play right there. Now, you you know, now you've got yourself into position where you can throw it at the end zone. A couple of plays later, what happens they throw the interception, you know, and so you kind of needed to make that play, you know, just just extend your hands, reach for the ball, don't wait for it to get to you and then try and do something with it. But that was really the only one where I felt like that he kind of lets you down on a play. Other than that, all.
Speaker 6: Of those catches that he had to me, I guess maybe because my expectations are lower based on what I saw last.
Speaker 7: Year, but I was like, oh, okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: Well it was very gallup, like yeah, that vertical pass like that, but he.
Speaker 3: Gave you some plays in world there were harder catches to make, so I was happy with what he did in this game.
Speaker 4: Derek, I'm coming back to you on this one. Do you feel as if you can now rely on Luke's schoon maker from what you saw?
Speaker 3: Well, let me say this, I think I think for what he was asked to asked to do this game, I thought it was pretty good. I think he gave you He gave the quarterback an outlet in situations where you need to be able to get the ball to the tight end. So from that standpoint, I think he was fine. I still don't think he has that ability that that that we've grown accustomed to with being able to catch up the stuff that you can get where you get the ball in his hands and all of a sudden he turns up Phil. He's supposed to be tackled, but he's not tackled. He's still running. I think that's the part that I think we're missing a little bit without Ferguson, and I would want to see that again. If you talk about my expectations of what I would have thought for a second round tight end would be, I would get a little bit more of that. But all things being considered, it's a step in the right direction. He's growing in the right direction, and you talk about it all the time. I mean, we have veried tight ends around.
Speaker 4: Him over the years, and then it takes it.
Speaker 3: Just takes a little bit of time and then eventually they get it. So I'm very happy with the progress of what I saw in this game versus what I've been seeing before.
Speaker 4: You feel that if you can now rely on Luke schoon Maker.
Speaker 3: A little more.
Speaker 6: For a game, sure don't extend the past that I will say. I do give him credit because he has developed and despite all the little injuries here and there that he's dealt with since the moment he got here, he's maintained his will to participate, to learn to do what he can in part of the recovery and I miss out whatever is happening on the field. But at the same time, I'm totally with Derek and what you said. You still don't have that level of athleticism that you get with the guy like Jake Ferguson, So you are missing that spark in that dynamic in the offense. But I think he's a guy like you can rely on emergency type of same scenario of like Cooper rush you, you don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's actually a good.
Speaker 6: You're good for like a couple of games, but don't make it a habit. You know, let's let's let's get our starter back and healthy and back in there. Because he just elevates and he just it takes the offense to another level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like how you put that because essentially what you're saying is he's not gonna hurt you, Like, he'll be fine. He can play the role, he can give you a little something. He's not gonna hurt you. He may not be the difference in a win versus a loss, but he certainly isn't going to hurt you. And that's a good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think in this game he was always like to say that he was a plus player, and you know, sometimes if you're a negative player, you're you're you're gonna get beat with a negative player. I feel like in this game he was a plus player that he wasn't doing anything that was getting you killed. In this game, he wasn't making his job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can ask you this question. Sure, and I assume you've gotten access to the film at this point. I don't know how right I'm like, but anyway, what if you what do you see from him from the standpoint of blocking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a couple of times where they ran you know, they ran the reverse with it down down in the red zone where he or actually assume it was the flip play that they made with Zeke. They tried to run kind of the option and it was an example of him release and because they blocked the inman, they let the in man on the line of scrimmage go and then he was up on the second level. He could do a pretty good job when he has to play in space that way. You know, that's something that if he comes off the ball, he can engage and and and and hand fight that way, he's going to have to work on the aspect of the of getting his nose in there and and he will tribe. He just doesn't have that snap right now. Where you watch the way the Saints were blocking your edges with their big guys. They you could see them getting you know, they hook their guy, they get movement, they turn them, and he's trying his best. His movements come from his ability to move with so the guy's moving and then he's moving with the guy. That's where he's at his best. But to just come off the ball and this flat back somebody and try and and get him out of there right now, that's just not where he's at his game. Okay, uh, I'll go with you on this one, Derek or who would go first? Last time I was it was Derek. I think I'll go with you Ambar on this one. I'm trying to kind of back and forth here for you talk too much. Should we amber? Should we be concerned about Zach Martin?
Speaker 7: You know, this thought had not crossed my mind.
Speaker 4: That's why I am until.
Speaker 3: We have died into the mind of Brian.
Speaker 7: It's carrying there. I don't want to be there.
Speaker 6: Take me out, take me back out.
Speaker 7: It's a great question.
Speaker 4: Because I've learned something. By the way, whenever you say that's a great question, you're fishing for an answer.
Speaker 3: Because it's a great question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard when every time he hear space, well, that's a great question, you're fishing for an answer.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: I think we all new going into this season that this might be Zach Martin's last year with the team. I think that's a topic of conversation that was lightly talked about earlier the like during training camp in that time, so it is something to definitely consider. You see some of the plays I even noticed a few times, and again, Derek and I have not been able to watch the freaking film because the system is not working.
Speaker 4: It works for me. I don't know how, but it knows not to mess with me.
Speaker 1: In the game.
Speaker 6: I did see live a few plays where it was unlike Szack Martin, you know, like there were certain places.
Speaker 4: There you see knocked the ball at his Dack's hands, and then there was a crazy fumble that Tolbert recovered that I didn't expect Zach Martin to kind of get pushed in a way that could be closer.
Speaker 6: It braces an eyebro. You're like Okay, I wouldn't expect that from him. He displayed at such a high level all throughout his career that anything that starts being lower than that, you're like, all right, hold on, hold on, don't get me wrong. He's still a guy that I want all year long, and he's still a guy that's gonna give you his best. But maybe and I don't want to say this because it's too soon for me to even speak those words out of my mouth, because I highly respect him and I admire him, But it is something to keep an eye on in the next few weeks because it might be something that starts trending that way. And not because nothing against him, but age hits at a certain time.
Speaker 7: You're giving so much to the.
Speaker 6: Game that it's only natural that you you start missing some of those those plays.
Speaker 7: But let's let's keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think part of it is you look at him and you're like, when you have a player that plays, it's such a high light their career. It's like it happened with Tyron Smith, right. He plays at such a high level that when he gets a little older and he's not that player anymore, and now he's doing their normal things that happen. To the normal exact and even to the pro guard, he looks like a Pro Bowl guard exactly exactly, and so you're like and so. But but for us, we're like, well, wait, how did you beat exactly like so? So it is very jarring to see it, and I think that's part of what we're what we're seeing right now. I don't think he's Zach Martin from from early in his career when he was absolutely the best offensive guard in the National Football League. I don't think he's that necessarily anymore. But I will still take him where he is right now, above the alternatives. And I think you got some good guards on this team. I still think I would take him above those guys because I still think he's playing at a high level. It's just not the highest level necessary.
Speaker 6: It's more of us having to adjust our own personal expectations of him.
Speaker 7: And while we've been used to watching.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the thing you got to remember, our offensive lineman. It's you know, you could have seventy plays, Oh no, you do everything right, and one or two and then all of yeah, and then all of a sudden, you're like, oh my gosh, what's happening with this player. But it's like you look at the percentage, it's a pretty good game. It depends on what happened on those one or two plays. If quarterback got hurt, that's a horrible game.
Speaker 4: Right, YEA sixty seven pluses and three minuses in the one minus gotch you being right exactly? We have time for one more question. Yeah, one more Okay, I'll ask you this question, Derek is well, Mike Zimber, figure out how to get over Shown on the field more in base packages.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, it's going to happen. And the reason why it's going to happen is number one, because I think they all believe that Demarveion over Shown. It's a player, and you find ways to get players on the field. Sometimes you get into games, and Brian, you knows as much as anybody, you get into games and you kind of follow your game plan. Well, if we're in base, you're not on the field, right and and and then a team does something where they keep you in base and you get in the game, you look at the statue, you're like, he only played eighteen Okay, we ain't doing that no more. Right, Now, let's mix him into the base like. I think that'll be the way they look at it. I think my expectation at least will be that going forward, he'll be a part of some base packages. They will figure out ways to get him on the field rather than have him on the sideline, just because here was kind of our game plan into this one. Another team does this to us, We're going to figure out a way to get him on the field. That's how I look at it.
Speaker 6: I like that, but I agree, and it's something like, how can you not after you go in, come back into the building and watch film and're like okay, And then the times that he has been on the field again, this past game wasn't a great game.
Speaker 7: We all saw that. We all witnessed what we saw.
Speaker 6: But you can't take away that he has been pretty impressive so far, given that he was out a whole year coming back in and he's been explosive, He moves around so well, he's doing He's playing so much better than what I thought he would be. I thought he would take him a few more weeks to kind of get going, but he's been so good overall. Again, taken to kind of consideration, what happened last week and everybody play bad, but he's still very athletic. And again, I think that after you look at the game, watch film and see the overall results, there's no way that you cannot be like, Okay, let's figure out how to keep him more man.
Speaker 4: They love Luifell, they love they love him, and it might be because of his spot. So I will be interested to see. I think you guys are going down the right path. I'll be interested if they if they if they adjusted though that quick.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you this and I'm gonna throw this. I'm gonna save this question for tomorrow when we talk about the Cowboys defense and how they match up against Baltimore. But should there be a consideration at some point to where you get over shown more on the field in favor of maybe having on the side. That's a question that we should talk about, absolutely, because I do think that there's some there's some thought there, there's who are the guys that should be on the field. How much I think there's some conversation.
Speaker 4: You absolutely that, like you say, if they're gonna they probably will it will see because the Ravens are a team that will get into the twenty one and twenty two personnel stuff. And if that's the case, how do they respond this way? They play their base defense that way. But I think it's I think it's gonna happen. I don't know if it's gonna be this week or how soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about that tomorrow. Thank you, all right, Brian, appreciate that that was good, good segment, good questions. They're good answers.
Speaker 7: Amber you too, Derek Eingleton.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate that. It's nice to hear compliments. This time's coming from.
Speaker 6: You, all right, and listen to you guys. The fans will make sure that Derek sticks to his word on this upcoming segment.
Speaker 7: So sending your questions, all right.
Speaker 3: You could also call us eight five five two two ninety seven is the number again, eight eight eight eight five five too.
Speaker 4: If we can do this, I don't care what they got to say.
Speaker 3: Don't run me, all right, we're gonna go down final break.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio it's.
Speaker 14: The official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker.
Speaker 4: Your order will.
Speaker 14: Include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 14: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United daggenturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: If you can't be at the stadium, There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lgo lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike every play every hit.
Speaker 3: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines. That's how clear it is.
Speaker 10: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. Say for yourself at LG dot com slash Oleadevo.
Speaker 5: From the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lue Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires capable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, final segment of the break Laughing SWBC Mortgage Studios at the start today, we're going to get some calls from you, guys. Call us eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. We already have a call, a couple calls on the Lion. Let's get to Keith and East Texas. Keith.
Speaker 16: What up, guys, Brian. Some things for y'all to think about. If you're talking about the younger players, we are looking at JK. Dobbins leading the league for one point one million. Zeke is down in the twenties for three million. Tobert had to come back for that ball and make an incredible catch. That ball was underthrown and he was starting to separate. The ball was thrown at Zeke's feet for a touch for a possible touchdown, possible touchdown to CD which if he had been led on the inside, the ball was overthrown into the outside. We know that Jerry had no choice.
Speaker 2: But to give Dak the money.
Speaker 16: My question to you guys, had he given them the money that they were going to get anyway and did get early restructured, you could have gotten some players if you were really all in so pounding on these young guys. Nobody ever mentions Terrence still had a horrible year last year, and he had a sack the other day. But we're talking about the young I get frustrated with his picking on the young guys. He likes the young guys because they're cheaper. Let's be honest, Well, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think we're picking on the young guys at all. I think that you know that Mike McCarthy brought it up in his press conference yesterday, and we're just commenting on the fact that they are playing with a lot of young guys, and when you play with young guys, you're potentially going to have mistakes. I don't think we were going after any of these kids.
Speaker 3: And not only that, let's also mention yesterday when we talked about on the show. There were plenty of veteran guys and Brian you Ms earlier veteran guys that have problems yesterday. Absolutely, this was not a this was not just a young guy problem. Quite frankly, the young guys are the part you feel better about because you feel like they're going to be better. That's what's talking about. Better guys are the ones I'm a little more worried about, Like when you got those defensive tackles Phillips and and and Lynn Vald Joseph and the play games that they played. Sure, I'm a little more concerned about them than I am a young guy, But I do want to also point out something real quick. On that play you mentioned that the caller mentioned about he should have led Lamb. It's it's since that time, there's been some conversations that have made it pretty apparent that it was the wrong route, like he should have stayed more upfield, and Dak was throwing to the spot he should have been throwing to, so I'd be careful throwing that one on the Dak ledger. Yes, Dak missed Zeke on that throw, and Dak wasn't perfect yesterday, but on that particular pass. I would be careful giving that on giving that to dak Ye. All right, let's get a call from Carmen in New Jersey. There, Yeah, what's up.
Speaker 16: How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 4: You're on the air, sir.
Speaker 17: I'm sorry. I agree with everything you guys say, the top notch. The only thing is, I know we're worried about running backs and wide receivers. I just can't see us doing anything but stopping to run unless we get a better DT. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for Carl.
Speaker 4: He feels like that. And this is the general managers thoughts this morning was that he they feel like that they have the personnel to be able to play now. And I've said this yesterday. I've said on a couple of different platforms. Now, if you don't protect these linebackers, you're not going to be a very good run defense because I don't think you're gonna be able to add anything. You know, And if I steered you wrong about Jordan Phillips, I apologize to you guys for that. But the the things that you know with Joseph and you know and and and you know Phillips and guys like that and Mazy and and Osa. You know, yeah, they've got to do a better job because your your your key to stop in the run is going to be your linebackers' ability to free up and go get the ball. You know. But if they're dealing with blockers all day, and there's certain amount of blockers that are going to have to deal with in games. But if you just let linemen have free run at your linebackers, it doesn't matter. You could have you could have Aaron Donald playing defensive tackle. It ain't gonna matter, you know, because your your linebackers are going to be the key to this defense. And when you're gonna play a good run defense, it's gonna be it's gonna be Kendrick's playing downhill. It's gonna be lea foul playing downhill. It's gonna be Overshown playing down hill. It's gonna be Micah when he's off ball linebacker playing downhill. You know, that's where this thing is going to have to get better, because you're not going to be able to go out and add a defensive tackle. And you know, to to their credit, yes, you have to give them they forever were never going to draft a defensive tackle in the first round. It just so happens that they have one right now that's really really struggling. That's you know, the you know, they tried, they tried, they they it looks like at this point in time that they might not have got the right guy. You know, let's see what happens. But uh, you know it's they they made an effort to do it. And you'll say, well, damn brought us. They went out and got a bunch of cheap dudes at the end in August and all said, well, I hate to say this, but maybe it can have even been worse than what we saw the other day. If you were playing with some of the guys that you were going to plan on playing with, it could have that could have maybe been a lot worse. So if you don't keep these linebackers free, it doesn't matter. You won't be able to play any run defense.
Speaker 3: And quite frankly, I think that's across the league. I think that's just the nature defense. If your linebackers are fighting offensive lineman all day, all, that's going to be a problems, be a problem. You've got to have guys in the front that could eat up blocks that's really especially for the Cowboys. You think about there, the strength of their linebackers is their speed and their ability to kind of get places. If they're fighting offensive lineman all day, it will not be good.
Speaker 4: It will not matter.
Speaker 3: Let's get a one more phone call from blind Man in North Carolina. Blindman, what what's up?
Speaker 2: Hey? It's Greg. First time caller listening to Brian on different platforms. I really love his show. Appreciate that, and I'm going to say, damn, Brian, we've got a whole bunch of old guys in August.
Speaker 4: How about that we did?
Speaker 2: You know? I just want to bring up one point. You know, when you have everybody that works for you on a deal that's going to end that year, I expect him to go out with the best put to plan, to coordinate, to coach. I mean, when you're scared of losing your job from week to week, you can't expect the best. And that's all I got. Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I appreciate what you're saying, But you go into this business not, you know, thinking that you have any type of security. Think about the coordinators at the Philadelphia Eagles last year. Both those guys probably had three year deals. You know, ownership said.
Speaker 3: Felt like that security.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jeff Leury, you know, hey, we're gonna we're gonna do this. You know, we're gonna. Yeah, we're gonna give you the opportunity to come in and coach Brian Johnson those guys. You know what happened first year, Both those guys gone this league. There's no guarantees, there's no promises. You know, you coach really year to year, you really do, especially with the way that some of these front offices now. The one thing here is, you know, this group is pretty locked in when the cubs of the front office, but they're locked in and they're locked in with the Giants. They're locked in with Pittsburgh, they're locked in with Cincinnati. They're a lot of teams that have the way that structure, very similar structure to what you have here. You know, So if you're a coach a scout, you do not expect to have multiple years to get things done. You just don't. You're always working with the darkness over you that this could be your last day.
Speaker 3: And I think also when you think about the psychology of humans, there are kind of two phrases that we've heard before when it comes to pressure, pressure bus pipes and pressure makes diamonds right, And it depends on what kind of person you are. You know, some people respond to pressure in a positive way, some people respond to pressure in a negative way. It just depends on what kind of person you are. I don't know. I've haven't had that experience with this particular group to know how they're going to respond to it. But some people really excel from that. And I know Jerry's talked about in the past like sometimes he wants to create that kind of pressure to see how people respond, and whether that's the right approach or not. Who knows for this group. What I'm saying is there is a possibility that Mike McCarthy is the type that you give him that added pressure, he's going to step up to the occasion. I just don't know that.
Speaker 6: I think it brings a different fire in you because you either want to prove them wrong. And also, even if it wasn't here, you're still having to show up for something for those that might be able to hire you. So it's just like with players coming out right right, you got to present something good, regardless whether it is to stay here or for somebody else to come in and hire you. So I think it would it's completely different. I think you performer at a different level. Rather than having that job security that you're like, people would be like, oh, well they're not going to lose their job.
Speaker 7: They still they're still gonna be here regardless.
Speaker 4: There's some satisfaction knowing that you did a job well done despite feeling like the people who or your bosses didn't feel like that you were going to be able to do it. There's some satisfaction to that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, guy, Joing. So we'll be back tomorrow. We're gonna start diving into Cowboys versus Ravens. Brian will have the breakdown of the Ravens offense versus the Dallas defense. That will be a very interesting matchup. Till then, for I'm brought us Ambergarci, I'm Derek Eagles and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.