Speaker 1: It is Thursday, December twenty eighth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hours presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District. And now a guy who'd like nothing more than to just sit around the house late at night waiting for the ball to drop.
Speaker 2: JA p check and welcome man. It is Jaguars Happy Hour on this Thursday, December twenty eighth. We've got two hours of Jaguars football ahead coming up. It's Week seventeen, the Panthers and the Jaguars coming up here at the Bank, the final home game of the regular season. The Jaguars on the brink of something, either the playoffs or watching them on TV. They're trying to sap the slide, a four game losing skid for the Jags. We'll hear from the head coach, Doug Peterson, joining us in studio at five o'clock on the Jaguars Radio Network for the Doug Peterson Show. We'll get his thoughts on everything going on this week, of course, and we'll also hear from Fred Taylor. I caught up with him earlier today. He is a Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist for the first time for the class of twenty twenty four. We'll hear his reaction to hearing the news and how you found out a lot of text messages for Fred. That's coming up at five o'clock. Jaguars Happy How are brought to you by the Saint Jimes River Water Management District. Florida's water it's worth saving. We're on ten ten XL ninety two point five Fnjaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube. The Panthers Jaguars Game presented by Johnson and Johnson. The makers have Acuve you brand contact lenses making vision possible. Probably based in Jacksonville, and visitjjvision dot com. Jeff Logiman with me here in studio at the Miller Electric Center. Good afternoon, Good afternoon, JP. How the heck are you? I'm doing good man. It's the holiday season. Yeah, that's the good thing. You act like that. That's the only good. There's not a lot of cheer around here. I'm much. I'm not sensing any optimism in your voice, JAP. I mean, come on, man, I mean it's first place in the AFC South. Two games to go, big game at home against the fellow expansion team, Carolina Panthers. That's the worst team in foot Yes, I like our chances. Yes, I like it. Okay, well, I mean on paper, yes, sure you should play well against this team. However, they aren't played on paper last I checked, and they are played on the grass. And in the last month, the Jaguars on the grass have been bad. It hasn't been good. And if they don't fix the amount of giveaways that they're allowing teams to get, then it's going to be a tough game to play against the Carolina Panthers. In the four game losing streak, you've given the ball away ten times and if you want to look to reason number one that's at the top of the list, you can't turn the ball over that much and expect to win. It just is just not going to happen. And that it continued this pass game. An interception early in the Supposedly there was a lack of communication on that play. I don't know if it actually impacted or was the cause of the interception. I don't believe it was. But then you ended up having three more in the course of the game, three more giveaways. You know, I had a fumble and a fumble by trusted guy. Have an Ingram can't do that. Nope. I had another interception on an overthrown ball. Try to get out of an ingram across the middle. You had a fumble buy Trevor Lawrence in the pocket. He tried to pull the ball back in for some reason, and I don't know why, because the throw was there. He should have just let the ball go to Tim Jones who was running a little crossing route. But that's the disappointing thing is that you're turning the ball over as an offense, and defensively you get the impression that that sucks the energy out of that side of the ball too. And they can't let the energy on the offense or the performance of the offense impact their performance. Health of the quarterback is also a priority this week right ac joint sprain and his rowing shoulder, and that hurts. He is not practiced, at least in the public time today the media. Do you ever have one of them? I don't know I have. I haven't had a diagnose. I guess I can tell you it happened. It was in the meadowlands and I was coming in on the quarterback and had to dive over a one of our one of my fellow defensive linemen, and I dove over landed them on my arm, very similar to how Trevor did. And I want to say it was like a grade two sprained ac joint whatever you want to call it. Extremely painful. I mean extremely painful. I mean he could even barely lift your arm to put your Jodurn on after the game, and I kept playing, but I mean I had to, you know, I had to shoot it up every week, you know, so shooting up, shooting up, shooting up, and it got worse to the point at the end of the season I had to go in and have a surgery on that ac joint. And the dude what they call an ac resection, which they basically golmos saw and cut the end of your collar bone off in that joint. I guess to create more space. That sounds pleasant. So for a quarterback, this is gonna be a And I don't know what grade he has. I know there's one grade one, Grade two, Grade three, three is obviously the worst. One is the least. I don't know where his his ac sprain falls in the category, but I can tell you, just like a pitcher, a quarterback has to have all components of the mechanical system working to be accurate. And if a fingernail is a little off, or you got a little spraying of a finger on the throwing arm or the shoulder, it's gonna be tough to play. So this is you know, this is not an ankle, This is not a knee where you can maybe gut it out a little bit, brace it up, tape it up kind of a thing. Because this is directly related to throwing the football, and I mean the other part of throwing mechanics in baseball. If something in your throwing arm or motion is hurt, then you have the tendency at times to overcompensate and you can hurt some other things in the throwing motion. You could lower extremity right or something that has happened, especially in pitching in baseball, that could happen as well. And here's the thing that I worry about is this offense has become so quarterback, passing centric focused, whatever you want to call it. This is not a good place to be. Okay, you're not performing well on offense, you're not scoring a lot of points in the last two ball games. Your quarterback has a shoulder, your offense has been throwing the football constantly. You're not running the ball well. Your offensive line needs to perform better and run blocking and pass protection. It's not a good place to be. So I don't know what's going to happen, but I can tell you. I can tell you this. Look, you got the worst team in football coming in here, the worst team in football, with a young quarterback who has a long ways to go to get better to make his team competitive. And this is also again I brought this up before. This is your expansion.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 2: You're at home with everything on the line. If you lose this game, you could be out of the playoffs. Again, if you lose this game, you could be out of the playoffs. The percentages go the wrong way in a hurry. If you lose this one and I can't be eliminated this weekend, you cannot be alimited. Cannot be eliminated. But you can. However, you can make it really hard exactly because if you lose and then Indianapolis and Houston win, your chances just go sh I mean, is pretty much done because they play each other next week, and that's the best chance to get in the playoffs. Obviously, is winning the division, So then it's down to that. Now the other part of it is if you win and they both lose, the Jags are handing out hats and shirts after the game division champs. Correct, they can clinch, Yes, so it could go from one extreet to the other. It's a lot riding on this ball game. It's a lot riding on his bagame and the other games. If you look and who does Indianapolis have a Raiders? Okay, they got the Raiders at Indianapolis and Houston is at home against Tennessee. Okay, so that's two big ball games. Then they're all going to be happening that same time. They're all Sunday one o'clock, Kip, Yes they are. And then the last week Houston is at Indianapolis for the final matchup. So this is I mean the league has designed the schedule to have these divisional games at the end of the season for a reason. And is it not pure genius because it could come down to the last week of the season. Oh yeah, did last year? Yeah? It certainly come on here at home against Tennessee with winning get in scenario, Jaguars happy hour Jacks fans won customized Jack's furniture for your home. Checkout zipchare dot com and browse all customizable options. ZIP Chair Furniture for fans. We're on tentionon Xcel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, Jaguars Happy Hour, j AP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman five o'clock will have the Doug Peterson Show in here from the Jaguars head coach. Well, you know we're talking a lot about the offense. Let's continue there. Cam Robinson back on the practice field this week. The left tackle. He missed, of course, four games early in the season with the suspension PD suspension and has been back and then out and now he's back on the practice field this week. The head a knee, right, that's right, I had a knee. You know. It just there's been a revolving left side of the offensive line. Well, it's been the most consistent and the most successful when Cam Robinson has been on the field. Well, the record says, so I think they'll have one loss when he's been in the lineup, which is amazing. But let's kind of focus in just for a second here before we talk about Cam about where they're at right now in this offensive line as far as on the left side, because Walker Little has played and he's playing hurt, and if you watch the film, you can see that the hamstring is not one hundred percent yet. Okay, and give him credit. He's gotten it out. Okay, So you give a player credit for playing hurt because availability is everything. At left guard. Ezra Cleveland has been playing the last two weeks and you can see that he's kind of playing like a peg leg. He's playing hurt. So can they get better this week? To say, okay, look, you know, Cam, you've got another week to kind of get back up to speed. I don't know that we'll see, but Ken, if those guys are not going to be better this week, when I say those guys, both Walker and Ezra, okay, can you do something different there? I don't know. Or if let's say Ezra's still bad and Walker Little's getting better and Cam's available, can Walker go to guard and then Cam play left tackle. I think there's some options there, and I don't know what's going to happen exactly, but I think if you can get some of Cam's energy, if he has that energy, Okay, when I say the energy because you're not going to have energy unless you feel good. If he feels good and he has his energy, he helps his football team right away. And I think that he will play left tackle. And then you would say, okay, now what do we do? What do we do at left guard? If if Ezra's not healthy and he's still peg legging around, is Walker healthy enough to play guard? Well? Maybe? Okay, maybe not. Maybe maybe Ezra's better than Walker this week, and Ezra stays at guard, so I don't know, but maybe they're both dinged up still and enough to sit him. And here comes Tyler Shatley in the full I mean there's a lot of options. There's plenty of options. Or Blake Hands, I mean there's there, there is options there. But here we go again. Okay, because last week Doug talked about the lack of continuity with the offensive line contributing to the lack of performance. Well, here we go again, right, this is another change, and do they get better with this change? And that remains to be seen, but I can tell you this. They they need to play better upfront. They need to start being not so quarterback dependent, especially if Trevor Lawrence is not playing and we'll see what happens. But where's ETN at? Okay, how many rushing attempts did they have last week? I'm looking at the board. Not good. I'm looking at ETN had six carries in that ball game. Six carries? Good? You know, Tank big bigsby zero the arnest Johnson had won. Okay on a game in which your quarterback didn't even practice until Friday. Is that the recipe for success? Probably not? Yeah, running backs had seven carries in the game against Tampa. It didn't help that Tampa Bay came out and scored on every meaningful possession in the first half, and then also the first two possessions of the second Halding right out of the game. I mean, they had what a thirteen play drive to start the game, right right down the field. It was a three fourteen play sixteen nine yard drive the field goal. They were three or four and third downs. They kept it going and they ran the clock and they got a field goal. Okay, Well nothing after that for the Jacks. Well, and here's here's the hard part. Let's say you want to come out okay and hypothetical here, Okay, Trevor can't throw the ball well or you got a backup quarterback in the game and CJ. Bethart, Well, what's the first thing that you would like to do? Ignoring past performance and numbers and everything else, what would you like to do? I'd like to run. I like to run the ball a little bit right, probably run. Okay, So let's say that you are going to come out and take We're going to run the ball. We're gonna be committed to the wrong running the ball. What what gives you confidence that you can right now? Not a whole lot? That's the point. Can you reverse the results in the commitment of running the football? And what are we week sixteen, seventeen seventeen. Can you change it in week seventeen? Can you change the way that you play in one week in week seventeen? That's hard to do. That's very hard to do. And here's the other thing. Last time I checked, there was a dude that's wearing number ninety five for the Carolina Panthers on the other side of the ball. Okay, last name is Brown. Okay, Derek from Auburn. It should be Superman across the back of the name plate because the dude is something else. Okay, Derek Brown who is fromat the Great School School of Auburn. He was a first round draft pick back in twenty twenty. This guy is super strong. He is the best interior run defender that I have watched on film all year, hands down. So they've got their hands full, and one guy in particular who's got his hands full, and that's Brandon Sheriff, because Derek Brown doesn't flop size JP. Derek. Remember back in the in the days when the Jaguars had Henderson and Stroud two studs. Those guys played left and right. They didn't flip flop. They It wasn't like ones of nose tackle and the others a three technique and they're gonna flip based on strength, call or anything of that nature. Okay, I believe it was Stroud on the left, Henderson on the right. That's how it was gonna be. Well this week, Derek Brown is gonna be on the defensive left side, so he's gonna be on top of Sheriff, might be a little bit over to the inside shoulder of Anton Harrison, and then he's probably gonna see a little bit of the center. And this is gonna be a tremendous battle. If I'm the network. I'm putting a camera on that guy and see how he does against Luke Fortner and Brandon Sheriff, because this is the guy that can wreck a day. We're on ten to XCEL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. It's not really confidence building right there. Well, I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm just saying that the challenge is large. You know, Carolina is a top five defense and one of the reasons why the rank so high. A lot of people say, oh, how can they be ranked high. Their offense doesn't score a lot of points, so a lot of teams aren't exactly aggressive with their defense. We'll get to that offense for the Panthers when we come back. How the Jaguars defend that. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water It's worth saving. You get in situations like.
Speaker 3: That where where you feel or you come away with, you know, a feeling that that you know a team, you know they were they were playing for the same things that we were playing for, right.
Speaker 4: And they did everything they needed to do to win the game, and we didn't. But yeah, you know, you lean on the leadership council, the leaders of your team, lean on the coaches more and you know, just just lock in and focus during the week and then prepare for another game this Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's Doug Peterson, of course, Jaguars head coach earlier this week, and welcome back to Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadick with Jeff Logoman Jaguars Happy Hour on ten TOXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube as well. A lot of folks in town this weekend for the Gator Bowl Clemson Kentucky. Correct I saw tomorrow. I saw some Kentucky and Clemson folks walking around out. Yeah, earlier today, plenty of it. It should be a nice matchup. And of course the Panthers Jaguars game coming up Sunday as well here at the Bank, the final Jaguars home game of the regular season, and the Panthers roll in here with just an awful record, but they played a solid game last week against the Packers and the best game I think of the year for Bryce Young, the number one overall pick out of Alabama and a guy who's been beat up and battered and knocked around in his rookie year. And you know what, they got to win a couple of weeks ago against Atlanta in sloppy conditions like nine to seven or something, and then they come and play hard against the Packers last week. So all right, they're still out there, They're still slinging it around, and you'd give Bryce Young enough time, he's gonna carve you up a little. Well, I don't know about that. I wouldn't got the ability. I wouldn't go that for number one pick. I wouldn't go that far. He's been like him no, well, I mean I like him eventually, but the reality is is that his performance all year long has been lacking. I mean, there's a reason why Frank Wright got fired. It wasn't because Bryce Young was great. It was because Bryce Young wasn't looking very good. And the guy that was picked down in Houston is looking good. True, and he's back today, by the way, off concussion protocol.
Speaker 5: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud you're talking about, yeah, and look, Bryce Young is in JP. I'm not trying to criticize him, just trying to be honest. His performance this year has not been great. He's a small statued quarterback that has been struggling. That's just a fact. And this past game was his best game as a pro. He had around one hundred and ten quarterback rating, which is very solid, and he put up thirty points, which was a season high for Carolina. But the reality is they're scoring about fifteen points a game, okay, And a lot of the points that they're scoring has been at the end of all games where they're just playing catch up and the opponent has been up on them. And so how many points have they scored in a meaningful moment of the game, I don't know. But if the Jaguars get up early on Carolina, it would do two things. One, I think it would give this football team a little positive encouragement of where they are and what they're doing, which I think is critical. They need that, especially when you've lost four games in a row. But it would also allow some doubt to creep into the minds of the Carolina Panthers, who, by the way, have already probably starting to pack up their stuff. For the all season, So fast Art is going to be imperative in this ball game, and Carolina has not been particularly good in the first quarter of ball games this year. They've scored an average of like two point four to six points a game in their first quarter. Okay, so if you're the Jaguars, you've got to come out and try to get on the board quick to give yourself that encouragement and to give them a little bit of anxiety. Is this one defensively for the Jaguars? Do you pressure them? Do you play normal? I mean, how do you attack the Panthers offense if you're the Jags defense? In might Caldwell, Well, I think first and foremost you look at the quarterback and then you look at his weapons. Last week with Mike Evans and Godwin Godwin, two legit dogs. I mean I'm talking good players, arguably one of the best tantems in the National Football League. Okay, this week, does DJ Chark and Adam Thielen rank up there somewhere around Mike Evans and Godwin. No, No, we don't really strike fear. However, Chark will have a little extra something this week. I mean, it's been it's been kind of number of years since he's been here. I think that's probably faded a little bit. Anyway, he's just trying to perform well to have a job for next year. So I think you can pressure a young quarterback in this situation because his ability to get rid of the ball in a timely fashion has not shown to be there. And the receivers that he has don't scare you. So but here's the other thing. You got some issues that you need to clean up a little bit as well. Okay, last time I checked. Okay, Tyson Campbell did have a great game this past week. Didn't finish the game. Didn't finish the game for some reason. Is it maybe letting him get rested up for the never week? Whatever it was, he wasn't on the field. What the end of the game. What I saw, Mike Evans took him to school a little bit, okay, And if you're getting taken to school, then you need to come home. Okay. So I think Tyson was taken out of that ball game because of that. Well, let's see if he can get a little bit better this week. It's been it's been a while since he's played. He's had soft tissue injuries with hamstring and the quad, and that's not easy to come back from. I'm not trying to make light of a situation. If the players get injured, it's not easy to come back, especially at that position. You're on an island and you need to have your wheels, and if your wheels ain't running, sometimes it's hard to perform. Darius Williams on the other side, I got complete confidence in him. I think playing pretty well, one of the better corners in the league, and so you can match up with this Carolina team pretty good. So, yes, you can bring pressure and affect a young quarterback in Bryce Young, and I expect them to. I don't expect them to do it all the time because that's just not how this team. They can't do that. But I will say that this the interier of the Jaguars defensive line has been lacking all season long in productivity of affecting the passer. That's got to change this week. And here's why I say that. The center and the two guards for the Carolina Panthers are not great. Again, I'm repeat this, The center and the two guards for the Carolina Panthers are not great. Okay, you need to win at that positions or those positions you've gotta win. The right guards for the Carolina Panthers, Nash Jensen, a rookie from North Dakota State, started like the past three or four games for them. I would bench the coach that said that he's gonna start. Wow, he's been that. He was that bad aggressive. The center for the Carolina Panthers Bozeman, Now, look, I know he's an Alabama guy. JP. I don't want to get your feelings hurt. Care you sure, yeah, I don't care. He's not very good, Okay, okay. The left guard cade Mace not very good. Wow, that's Tackles are okay, Okay, tackles are okay, uh Ikwanu. And then at right tackle Moten pretty good players, not great players, but good players, solid players. But the inside and that's where you got to. You gotta belly up to the bar and get get some food. But we can't eat who he counting on in the interior? Roy Robertson here, where's Roy at fully? Fighter? Got to see on chests? Right? Yeah, come on, see fully fight of see step it up, Devon Hamilton, step it up. Hadn't been playing very well. I know, coach said he played a little bit better, but I mean, look, the reality is that a little bit better not where he needs to be. You know, he's still trying to fight back from entry. But I mean those guys, the guys that you mentioned, they've got a step up. Okay, because here's how it works. When you get into critical moments, you're a players the players that you've you've paid money to. Okay, I'm not saying it's about the money, but when you get paid to football, yes, what it is, you're paid to perform. When you have big moments, big games, your top players need to perform like top players. And that's not asking too much. Put Josh Allen in that mix too. I mean, he just kind of got stifled last week. He had one tackle in the game. Tristan Wurfs handled him. And he hasn't had a sack since Week thirteen. And he's still a sack away from tying Kalais Campbell's single season sack record for the Jacks. He's alan Is at thirteen and a half. The record is fourteen and a half. And I got to finish this season strong on a great note here, and I'm not breaking the record at home. He's had a fantastic season and to finish it off the right way the last two weeks would be big for him. Love to see him get to this team get the season sack record at home in front of the home fans. But you know, on defense, he's probably the number one of those guys is your he is your top dog. He's got no tops game. I don't care how good the tach top dog and look I'm not I'm not trying to criticize him for his performance last week because he's been the one guy that week in and week out you have been able to depend on, and sometimes the guy on the other side of the ball. He gets paid pretty well too. And Tristan Worse, by the way, is one of the best left tackles in football. He's really good, really good football player. And Josh typically has a lot of a lot of power and affecting the pocket kind of that speed to power where he's got inside power. Tristan Worse shut it down. Tristan Worse shut it down. Wan'll be that game wrecord. This is a game to this to wreck right here, Okay, ninety five forty one. Want to make sure I get all these numbers, right, ninety four, twenty three, thirty two, okay, thirty one. All these guys on defense, okay, that are your A players. Gotta play well, gotta play like A players. And on offense, we're gonna see who's playing first. I guess we will have a little bit of a question. Mark is a big one. Pri Productions, the official event production company of the Jags, has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit piproductions dot com. In a moment, Kay Stevens in studio with us, we'll get her thoughts on the week that has been around the middle of Electric Center. Ahead of Week seventeen, the Panthers and the Jaguars coming up Sunday at one o'clock and Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water it's worth saving.
Speaker 5: And they have the blessed to where I do he a little, you know, quicker maybe than some people. And then just you know, our training staff does a great job. Our medical team, I think we have great plans for coming back and you know, being able to get back quickly. I think they've done a great job of just you know, taking me through different protocols and strengthening whatever it is, treatment, strengthening all those things to stay on top of it. I think that's part of it too, is preparing your body a certain way to where you limit injuries, but when they do come up, you kind of minimize them. So I think it's a mixture of all those things.
Speaker 2: That's the quarterback of course. Trevor Lawrence earlier this week and welcome back. It is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman, Panthers Jaguars coming up in week seventeen, one o'clock kickoff time at the Bank Fan Appreciation Game. What are going on during the game, We'll see if Trevor Lawrence is out there on the field. No word as of yet, but has not been out there at least in the open portions of practice this week. The full injury report coming up in just a little bit. Kay Stevens joining us in studio now here on ten TOEXXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, We are all the places. Kai, good afternoon, all of them. Nice to see you, Yeah, nice to see you too. And let's see if we'll see Trevor Lawrence. That's priority number one.
Speaker 6: I know this one feels a little bit different, at least to me, just obviously it's just throwing shoulder, right, and with everything we've seen so far in terms of just what he's been dealing with with the injuries, I think at least this one just doesn't quite It's different, right, it's your career at your throwing shoulder. You have to be careful with that sort of thing. And what we've seen in terms of him not doing great when he doesn't practice, he's just not There's a lot of people that need to be involved physically doing it. You can be there and see it, but if you're not the one doing it. And what we've seen from him so far, I think he's someone that really benefits from getting those reps in practice, and we've seen the disconnect when he does not practice.
Speaker 2: Reps are everything. I mean, he's still a young quarterback and sometimes we forget that. And here's the other thing. His receivers are young too.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: So if you've got a quarterback who, let's say, is in your eight, nine, ten. Okay, if he misses a little practice time, not that big of a deal. But Trevor twenty four years old, Y're three, you're two in the system. Those reps are still incredibly important, especially with receivers that he hasn't had a lot of reps with. Yeah, I mean, Ridley's twenty nine. But you know, time on task is not as you know, he's been out for a couple of years, and then this season is you know, trying to get things going and without him on the field, together a lot on the practice field, then it a lot of times doesn't translate to the game, whether it's a route, whether it's the timing of a throw, just little nuances of this offense. It's hard to show up on game bay and then all of a sudden they disappear on game day. They might have gone well when they've had a chance to practice, and that's the other concern, is that they aren't making it to the game field.
Speaker 6: Cut I think sometimes we forget, or at least the last month or so, we've been caught up in that losing streak and kind of the mentality of all that. But like, even when the team was winning, we were constantly saying, Oh, the offense is gonna get there, Like they're gonna get there at some point. We never really saw them fully functioning, full blast, great running game, a good game from Trevor wi Like, we never saw what we were hoping to see in the preseason. So now that they've gotten off task and they've lost four games in a row, it's even more blatant that they had to figure that out and they never really did so. Now without that and then without your quarterback practicing, I think that that is an issue there. That's why sometimes I think I feel like the CG. Bethor might be a little bit better for you this week. I don't know if he will end up playing or not. I'm sure they'll make that decision on Sunday, but he has a lot of reps with a lot of the players that you're relying on at this point right the Parker Washington's of the world. He has a decent connection with rid from when they've been practicing. You know, Tim Jones, whoever's gonna be out there, he always is doing reps with them anyway, And now that they're all on first team they're doing reps of course this week, so I feel like that might be the best chance for you this weekend. But obviously, if Trevor can go, he will go.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.
Speaker 6: This one feels a little different. And maybe I say this every time that he gets hurt, but this one feels a little I thought.
Speaker 2: It was different going back. Okay, he had the knee, and Okay, when he had the knee, I'm like, yeah, he probably will be okay, okay, but then the ankle, I was like, I don't think he's gonna play well. Now, this is this I think is even more different than the ankle, just because it's a it's a throwing shoulder. So I don't know how this is gonna play out. I do know one thing. If I'm the offensive line coach and I'm the offensive coordinator, I'm developing a game plan that's gonna be more focused on the big guys upfront doing better running the football to take the pressure whoever's playing take the pressure off of whoever's playing quarterback. And I'm kind of in agreement with Kai, and then I think, you know, maybe you could be a little bit better with CJ. And the reason I say that if he's taken the reps and Trevor's had knee, ankle, shoulder.
Speaker 6: Now and cannot be exactly right, I can't.
Speaker 2: Expect him to be Superman. I mean that the guy for Carolina that's got ninety five, he's Superman. Trevor's not Superman. So this is this is going to be an interesting week, I think. And how do the Carolina Panthers approach it? How how do they view this? Do they prepare or are they preparing for Trevor? Or are they preparing for CJ? Or do they just say, you know what, we're just preparing for their offense. I don't know. It'll be interesting, yeah, because at some point, you know, Beth, can he make the same kind of throws that Trevor could make in this offense if called upon? There's probably some that he is limited on. Let's put it that way, right, But do you need him this week?
Speaker 6: Necessary?
Speaker 2: Right? Is this the week where you can pair it down and run the ball botch or hey, if all of a sudden Carolina is up fourteen and then that goes out the window again. Well, look, here's the fact. CJ's a backup. Okay, so he can't do everything that Trevor can do win Trevor's healthy. And here's the other thing I will say, I'll take CJ. Bethard okay over a young, inexperienced first overall pick quarterback right now, Bryce Young? Right now? Okay, right now, I'll take I'll take CJ. Okay. Let's we're trying to figure out who's gonna win, Okay, Jaguars with CJ. Bethard. If let's say he's starting this week against Bryce Young, I'm taking CJ. Bether I am okay. Bryce Young has not impressed me that much. You know, here's the fact of the matter. In the last ten games, the Carolina Panthers have had over three hundred yards twice, and everybody since he had thirty point game and it came back and made a game competitive against the Green Bay Hackers, like, oh yeah, Rice Young has arrived. He's great. No, no, he's hadn't had three over three hundred yards, but twice in the last ten games. His best output actually was earlier in the year when he had his head coach still well. Then now the owner went off and fired a head coach who was the offensive mine because he can't control his temper and he's mad because his quarterback's not playing as well as a quarterback down in Houston. So the Carolina Panthers are in a little bit of a train wreck. I don't want to say dumpster fire, but it's a bit of a wreck right now. Don't lose to a team that's in a little bit of a wreck. Ye. It's the difference in a train wreck in a dumpster fire. I mean dumpster.
Speaker 6: Fire, dumpster everything way worse.
Speaker 2: Wait, have you ever been on a train that's been in a wreck? I don't think you want to be on that?
Speaker 6: No, But ELSEO don't want to be in a dumpster that's on fire?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, either one's unpleasant JP, And in the rank of things, dumpster fire is like way worse, worse than a train wreck. Yet you're not riding that train. Apparently. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, looked no further than Ford f one point fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and design to dominate, work play and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local for dealer, proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, tonight, Jaguars, All Access Television, Strings Sports Brewery. If you're in town for the Gator Bowl, go check them out tonight. It's just up the road in Springfield, about a mile two miles away. Quickly, Uber drive and or the cab or whatever, get up there and take the rental car. Go and then let me make a recommendation. The Alabama White Wings chicken wings. Okay.
Speaker 6: So I'm surprised they have any left, Jeff, because I feel you're giving them everything.
Speaker 2: Here's here's true story. So last week I talked to the wife you know for the show, and she's like, what do you want to do for dinner? I said, how about if I bring some of these wings home iuse telling you about And she's like, okay, that'd be fine. So I bring him home and literally we never left the kitchen counter, right out on the box. Okay. So tonight, what does she want for dinner? She wants wing? But she said, can you ask for just flat and can you have them?
Speaker 6: Are you flying after my own heart? Yes?
Speaker 2: And she said can you have them put a little side container of the Alabama White sauce? Wow? So that's what we're having for dinner. Tonight, I can't tell me she's hooked. She suched up the best wings I've ever had. So the show's at seven o'clock tonight. Jaguars All act says, who's the guest tonight?
Speaker 6: Antonio Johnson is with us.
Speaker 2: To rookie defensive baths.
Speaker 6: I talked to him for off the field last week. He's so great and he's very I mean a lot of the rookies in this class are really smart. He's someone that he was hurt a little bit in training camp, right, so he kind of worked his way in and I think that's his benefit because obviously they wanted to kind of use him as the nickel and work him in that way. And I think by being hurt in the beginning, he was able to kind of absorb the being a pro section while he wasn't playing. And then now that he's playing more and kind of you started last week like kind of working his way in there. I think that's really helped his progression this year. I've been impressed with what he's been able to do and kind of just his maturity so far. And obviously he was someone that kind of dropped in the draft, right because.
Speaker 2: For some reason some reason totally unknown to me.
Speaker 6: Guy just people thought he was going to go a lot earlier. So I think he's been he's been great, and I think he'll be good to talk.
Speaker 2: He was a safety at Texas A and M that played nickel and the NFL, if if you're a safety and you can play a little bit of corner or nickel, I mean you got value. And for some reason he dropped. The Jaguars were able to get him in the fifth round and to go back to training camp a little bit. I remember in training camp, I was going, there's that guy twenty six pretty good? And so I started to ask him the coaches and I was like, am I seeing what I'm saying? And there they were like, literally so complimentary of him in every facet defense, special teams, work, ethic, everything, and I was like wow, and he was totally fired up about him on special teams and yeah, he's their gunner on punt team. And by the way, the big loss this week Daniel Thomas going down with the broken arm. I don't know who they're going to replace him with, but Antonio Johnson is very similar to Kyle Hamilton of the Baltimore Ravens. And that's not trying to put him up into that class yet, but he's got a lot of similarities, the traits, the length, the speed, the ability to play nickel, and uh, I'm excited about him.
Speaker 6: He physically already looks like he's kind of there, and then obviously the more time he gets, the more reps he gets. I've been impressed with this place so far.
Speaker 2: This is this might be the best fifth round draft pick and a long time here Telvin Smith fifth n Telvin is in that class because Telvin was fantastic for a number of years, started for a long time. Kai, Hey, well done. Enjoy Strings tonight. Kay Stevens joining us in the studio. That's seven o'clock at Strings Sports Brewery. Tonight we're back with the injury report, and then at five o'clock it's the Doug Peterson Show. We'll hear from the Jaguars head coach in studio and Fred Taylor on his Hall of Fame finalist nod. That's all coming up at Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 3: I've had conversations with players the last couple of days and guys are still locked in and focused and they know listen, I might have said this after the game, and it's not like they're going out there and trying to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, make these mistakes, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, we just have to be more aware of what's happening.
Speaker 3: And as coaching, we got to keep continuing to coach them up and put them in put our players in positions to be to be successfu one game day. So I don't feel like they're you know, tuning out, you know at all.
Speaker 2: You're have at the head coach Doug Peterson on Tuesday and welcome back. It is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logaman, Jaguars Happy Hour on Tintin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. We'll hear from Doug in about ten minutes on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network. In this very studio. We'll get his thoughts on the week that has been and what's ahead for the Jags. A huge ballgame obviously the Jaguars at eight and seven trying to fend off the Texans and the Colts in the AFC South trying to fend off themselves too. That's been a big reason for the four game losing skid for the Jags up to this point. Time for the injury report presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Let's get right to it logs and same exact report as yesterday in fact, and we'll start with CJ. Beththard fool both days of the left shoulder issue. Tyson Campbell with a finger issue now limited both days. Andre Cisco is still with a groin issue, limited both days of practice. The safety offensive lineman Ezra Cleveland with a knee issue limited both days of practice. Zay Jones with a knee and a hamstring issue limited both days. Trevor Lawrence is not practiced either day this week, Walker Little hamstring limited both days. The tackle tackle Cam Robinson's window to practice open this week with a knee injury. He is limited both days, but he seemed positive in the locker room talking to him yesterday. Brenton Strange tight end foot injury limited both days. That's the Jaguars list. Just a little side note here. The last time that Cam Robinson had to have or did have one week of practice prior to starting, the results were pretty good. Remember the game in London was his first start. The second game in London exactly the game against Buffalo, and I was very concerned about his performance and what it would be because he wasn't around practicing, wasn't able to get the reps until just that week, So how would his performance be. He played really well. I remember there was a sack Fumber right before halftime, right from the left side. I thought he was really solid, really solid, and he's physical. Yeah, with a veteran guy, I think you look, you kind of got a little bit of history to to kind of look back on and say, Okay, how might he play under this circumstance where he's been there and it's been pretty good. So and also the fact that Walker Little has been hobbled a little bit. If Cam can be ready to play this week, I would feel really good about that. I think that would help this offfense out. Cam seems to have a little bit of energy that he brings to this offense, especially especially when it kind of needs a little bit of swagger, you know, a little bit of leadership, you know, which is I think every team when you're in a four game losing streak, you always need a little bit of extra leadership, and I think he's going to provide some of that. It'd be nice to see, There's no doubt about that. And they just got to get something jump started here on this offense, no matter who's under center. And that's obviously the big question of the week, Trevor Lawrence or CJ. Bethard. And Lawrence is not practiced this week with a shoulder injury, a throwing shoulder, so CJ. Bethard if he plays okay. Looking at his numbers two and ten as a starter, his last start was on January third of twenty twenty one, and that was when he was with the San Francisco forty nine ers. He lost. His last win was the day after Christmas in twenty twenty which he beat Arizona at Arizona and he had a one hundred and twenty five quarterback rating and he threw three touchdowns, did not have an interception, that's the kind of game you'd like to see out of him if he if he ends up being the guy. But that's it's encouraging that he has the ability to have a game like that. Yeah, I mean, you don't have to, you know, light up the stat sheet. You just gotta. But I'm all for it. I'd be great. I'm sure he'd be all for it too. For it. We take it. I'm not gonna send it back. But you know, hey, get this offense moving a little bit and let you lean on some of these other guys to help you. Hey, real quick, I didn't hear you say Anton Harrison on he's not on the injury report. Okay, left the game against against the Bucks, had a back kind of glute whatever it was. Yeah, he's on the report. Kind of that's positive. That's good sign. And here here's why I say that that's positive. Brian Burns is an outside edge rusher for the Carolina Panthers and he is there leading sack or I believe, what does he have like six sacs or something like that, because they don't have somewhere there a ton of sacks. I got the number right here. Six. Now he's got six Luvu, the inside linebacker, who, by the way, is a dynamic blitzer. I mean, I mean really good blitzer, a second on the team with five and a half. But the reason I bring that up about Anton Harrison because Burns is their best pass rusher. Burns stays on the defensive left side, so that's the that's the matchup that Anton Harrison would draw is their best pass rusher, and I think Anton's athleticism, footwork can totally negate Brian Burds. I feel totally confident in that matchup this week. Feel really good about that. I like that. I don't feel good about a couple other matchups. I feel really good about that. You can go down that path next if you'd like, Oh, we can. But just wanted to mention that because I mean, look, last week left the game, he's on the list. Offensive line hurt not on the list. That's all positive stuff. It is the final home game of the regular season, and it's all about Jags fans this week. Join us in celebrating the best fans in the NFL this Sunday for the Fan Appreciation Game. Jaguars dot Com, slash tickets or call nine oh four six three three two thousand and secure your seats now for the Panthers and the Jaguars at the one o'clock kickoff time, and the Jaguars trying to snap this four game skid and remain in first place in the AFC South. A win combined with the Texans and Colts loss Sunday, the Jaguars would secure the AFC South title and a playoff berth this week. Either way, if they win and then win next week, they secured the division no matter if the other teams win on Sunday, but it can be clinched as early as this week, or the Jags could be in a precarious situation in the AFC playoff race. If they fall this week and both those teams win, the division is out because those two teams, the Texans and Colts, play each other next week, and that would be a defecto championship game in the AFC South. And then you're hoping for a wild card spot, likely the number seven seed. Do you think that's possible. Let me just hypothetically, let's say that they are going for that wild card spot. Who who are the other teams that are in that race? Okay, so we're looking at because I don't think it's likely. It's it's interesting, right, because you have tie breakers against some of these teams. Something in play, Well, it'd be the Vision teams, right, whoever loses the division. In the case of its Detexans and Colts, the Jags have a tiebreaker against them, right. Pittsburgh Jaguars have the tiebreaker against the Steelers because they beat them head to head. Right. Cincinnati's also eight and seven, so okay, and then Buffalo's nine and six. They if they falter, they're kind of in it. But the Jags have the tiebreaker against Buffalo. Yeah, they're not in six. It doesn't matter, I mean, but if for some reason, the Jaguars, yeah, that's that's kind of where they are right now. Yeah, because the teams that are I mean, basically, it's going to be interesting. Now, here's Cleveland's ten and five. You know, hey, here's the fact that the matter. Jp you gotta beat the worst team in football at home. Yes, we're aware of that. You can talk about all the other scenarios, but you know, here's the thing. Do you even want to talk about that? If you can't beat the worst team in football at home? I just say that lookie, take care of your own business. Figure it out. Take care of your own business. And if you can't, if you end up losing five in a row down the stretch, okay, and you lose the worst team in football, you don't you don't deserve to go. Probably, I mean in theory though, they could still go, right, I mean that's possible, possible, And you always want to go. Oh, absolutely are because if you go, you're gonna have a home playoff game, and you want to see the division if you win the division, right, you want to see the fans have that. But the other thing you would like to do is generate a little momentum going into the playoffs. So here you go. Here's an opportunity. Okay, first game out, you got the worst team in football, you got them at home. Okay, last game of the year, okay, there's an opportunity to go on the road and beat a division rival at their place to generate more momentum going in the playoffs. We are moments away from the Doug Peterson Show. We'll get the head coaches thoughts about it in studio in just moments. Thanks to Kay Stevens for Jeff Loggie and I'm JP Shadwick. Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.