Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, Jiminy, Gracious Christmas. Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the very worst people in all of history, introduced by one of the very worst introducers in all of history. Your host me Robert Evans. This week I have a guest who's better at introducing things, Princess Weeks. Princess, why don't you introduce yourself because we've seen how I do it.
Speaker 3: You're fabulous. I disagree with you, that's all just with that. My name is Princess Weeks. I'm a writer, YouTuber, shit talker, and I love history, and especially when I get to listen to Robert tell me about bad people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love bad people, especially when I get to inflict their badness on someone else.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And this week we've got a guy who kind of made inflicting his opinions on other people on everyone else his like life mission and use the vast fortune he built to do it. We're covering a fella here. He's the former richest man in the world. This guy was an oil in his time. He was a millionaire. But if you you know, fix things to modern money, he was a billionaire from a fairly early point in like terms of modern money. And he was kind of the first of the right wing, like these ultra rich right wing guys to make pushing his own opinion in politics by taking control of like or building media organs deliberately to force his own opinion on public He was the first of these super rich guys to really do that, or he was part of the first wave of rich guys that did that. And he was the biggest, like of this first wave of generally like post New Deal super rich you know, multimillionaire billionaire oil guys who are are funding right wing politics. He was the guy who was kind of best at it. But he was also the guy who was only interested in forcing his own politics on people. Like he didn't want to talk to any other people on the right, He didn't want to make friends. He just wanted to create media organizations that would push his politics on other people. He's a very weird dude. And his name was H. L. Hunt. Also some people think he killed jfk hmm. So have you heard of this guy?
Speaker 3: No, I've never heard of him, but he sounds annoying and like the patrons say it of podcast bros.
Speaker 4: So like I'm writing sure about it.
Speaker 2: He's got a lot of that energy. He was kind of like the proto Elon Musk, like what Musk has done with turning X and Rock into this, like basically building these companies just to push his own opinions on everyone else. That's what Hunt was trying to do with like the radio in the fifties and sixties and television and stuff. So he's an interesting care character and like a freak in his own personal life, which is always fun when one of these guys is just the strangest, weirdest little guy.
Speaker 1: So does HL stand for great.
Speaker 2: Question, Sophie. That's what we're starting because he has like one of the most racist old white guy names you could possibly have, Haroldson Lafayette Hunt Junior. That's this fucker's full name, Haroldson and a Lafayette in there, Lafayette Junior. You know you're in for a good time when you've got all those names together, Hunts, Yeah, all those that's funny you mentioned that.
Speaker 1: That guy, I'm like, wow, would cover my drink?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, definitely. Haroldson Lafayette Hunt Junior was born in Carson Township, Fayette County, Illinois, on February seventeenth, eighteen eighty nine. Most of the articles and bios you'll find on him kind of breeze right through his childhood bio on the oil industry friendly website Oklahoma Minerals, which depicts Hunt as a hero, so you know, kind of ideologically where this bio is coming from, simply says that he was quote the youngest of eight children in a farming family. His early years were marked by a lack of formal education, as he was homeschooled and never attended public or private schools. So we're off to a good start already, right, Like, this is a dude who and that's not a weird upbringing for the time, really, but it is kind of weird for him because his other like brothers and sisters aren't all private schooled. So Hunt was a pretty prolific writer of letters to the editor and of ads in the Yellow Pages. So we do get other bits of his history if you're willing to dig deeper, that go a little further than that. In the nineteen sixties, he wrote this in an ad published by the Tennessee And so this is him trying to connect with other members of his family. My grandfather was Waddie Thorpe Hunt, freeing his slaves long before the war began. Waddy Thorpe Punt migrated to Serchie County, Arkansas, stopping en route to make a crop near Lookout Mountain. He formed a company of Confederates in eighteen sixty which included his son. He was killed in eighteen sixty four by Cantrill's guerrillas. So that's him talking about like his grandfather, right, Like, that's the family patron. And I'll tell let you know right now, he's the only one who says this guy freed his slaves long before the war began.
Speaker 4: How was gonna ask?
Speaker 3: I was like, he made it sound like, yeah, my grandfother Freda's slaves before it was cool, before everyone had to do it.
Speaker 2: But that he started a volunteer Confederate militia for love of the game.
Speaker 4: You know it.
Speaker 2: Now, Waddy may not owned slaves, but that wasn't uncommon. Most people who fought in the Confederate Army didn't have enough money to like own slaves, right, like they but that's not entirely the point. Some people were racist without that right, and that seems to have been his grandfather's deal. Now, what's very funny to be about this ad, which is I'm like trying to connect with other relatives by talking about his confederate at grandpa. Is that right after being like, hey, does anyone know you know my grandpa wants anyone else related to whom I want to connect, he goes on to like say, I want to exchange you know, family history with relatives quote and present them with three of the HLH alo Vera Cosmetics that's his private cosmetic company, and a list of stores in the area carrying HLH Cosmetics. And the remainder of the ad is a plug for his cosmetics business and his right wing radio show, which I find I just found very funny that he's like, I want to connect with my family, but I also want to use this space in the newspaper to get people to buy my cosmetics right wing skincare company.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, but also.
Speaker 3: Always agree he said he's the youngest of eight of eight kids.
Speaker 4: How much more family connections does he need? I ring, that's the family.
Speaker 2: You gotta have, bro, right, Like, why do you care? It seems like you get your hands full there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't need any cousins when you have a basketball team, like, it's fine.
Speaker 2: So that's a good point.
Speaker 1: That was very fun. I fear it was your target audience.
Speaker 2: Damn near too, actually, So the Confederate connection was enough to convince me that, like, I needed to look more into this guy's family history, because I was like, well, there probably means there's something else interesting there. And I can only find one biography that was written about him, which was the book Kingdom, and it's actually it was published after he died, and it's actually a biography of his whole family written by this hardcore libertarian author named Jerome to Sill, and I think to Sill was a fan of Hunt. He certainly wrote a history that I would argue portrayed Hunt pretty close to how Hunt saw himself a lot of the time. Although he does he does include more of the warts than I think would have, but he clearly like has this degree of like awe in this man for being such a great businessman. It's hard for me to tell how like real this biography is because to Sill, again, he's like a guy with an ideological bent that he's trying to get across in his books. And his biography of Hunt includes all of these verbatim conversations about conversations that would have happened in like the eighteen hundreds, and this book was written in the like one hundred years later. And I'm like, who did you talk to to get the transcripts of these conversations? You must have just made that up or you listen to something that like these people's grandchildren said is how the conversation went. So you have to take a lot of this book with a grain of salt. Right, it's getting like.
Speaker 4: Real person fan fiction.
Speaker 3: Like he is like, yeah, I just put myself into the character, like what would what would my goats say? Like what would my heroes say? And he's just like, all right, I've got it, nailed it.
Speaker 2: I would say, think of it that way. This is real person fan fiction. That said, it's the only book we have about this guy's childhood, and it's clearly based on conversations he had with members of this dude's family, So you can't discard it because it's like our only source. Right, that said, I want to We're going to talk a little more about Tussil in this book too, because he's kind of a very funny guy. You should know in terms of evaluating how much can we trust this biography that he was an early hardcore libertarian activist, although not entirely the bad kind. He got like politically activated for the first time in his life because he was disgusted by the draft in the Vietnam War, and he staged a walkout protesting the war at the Young Americans for Freedom Convention in nineteen sixty nine, which is like good, yeah, yeah. In nineteen seventy one, he published his first book. It usually begins with iron Rand, A Libertarian Odyssey, which is a book about how he went from an angry, lapsed Catholic looking for a new religion to an objectivist libertarian. Although he also kind of makes fun of iron Rand in the book too, because she believed a lot of crazy shit about sex that he does not on board with. Right, so he's like some about her, but like makes fun of her too. He wrote of his feelings in the time for the moment, I considered myself uniq alone and courageous individual who had found the holy grail after years of floundering. That's how he reacts to reading iron Rand for the first time. A lot of guys like that, Unfortunately, like.
Speaker 3: That's like the first time, Like you taught to a guy who read Dune for the first time, He's like, I.
Speaker 4: Just had no idea.
Speaker 2: All my politics are now Dune, Dune exactly.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: That same year, nineteen seventy one, to Sell wrote an op ed for The New York Times and begged for conservatives who still care about such things as peace and justice and racial harmony to vote for candidates who really be in peace when they say peace, who understand and intend to promote the politics of decentralization of pollution, control of economic and judicial reform, and so on all the way down the line. So he's not like entirely bad. This is back when the libertarian movement was a little more complicated than it's going to become in the Trump years, So that's positive. In nineteen seventy four, to Sell ran for governor of New York on the Free Libertarian Party ticket. He only got like thirty thousand votes, and he needed fifty thousand to get the party a permanent place on the ballot. The Times notes of his election campaign. On the campaign trail, he's distributed to sell bills, fake dollar bills that he assured voters would be soon worth more than the real thing, given the country's ruinous economic policies. He arranged for a woman in a beige body stalking to ride through Central Park like Lady Godiva, on a horse named Taxpayer. So he would have loved creating. You would have loved like Jerome to Sill. You would have loved bitcoin to.
Speaker 3: Sell coin like and he's given you naked ladies too. He's like, listen, I'm giving you the taxpayers everything they could want.
Speaker 2: A horse named tax horse name this man would have had so many NFTs.
Speaker 4: Album can you imagine? Like there?
Speaker 2: And sorry this is in our episode about hl Hunt. But when I started reading about the guy who wrote his biography, I was like, this man's fascinating. So anyway, take quotes that I'm going to read you from the book Kingdom with a g of Salt. So Tousill's books has very doesn't mention Watty Hunt Hunt's grandfather freeing his slaves, so I suspect his grandson made all that up. But he does talk about the fact that Watty created a volunteer cavalry militia to support the Confederate cause, which should tell you all you need to know about the man's politics. However, there is an interesting discrepancy between what hl Hunt came to believe and what to Sill Rights. In his biography, to Still claims that Captain Hunt was quote shot to death near his farm by Northern Raiders, but in his letter, Hunt says he was killed by Cantrell's guerrilla fighters, and Cantrell's Raiders were a pro Confederate partisan group of bushwhackers that actually this is where Frank and Jesse James get their start, and Cantrell's Raiders, now it would they definitely killed a lot of Confederate farmers too, because kind of by the end of the war they were just raiding, you know, like they're.
Speaker 3: Like, we just like doing this now, like this is our new passion, Like we gotta get a skille out of this.
Speaker 2: When I got into this, it was for the racism, but now it's just the love of raiding.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I just can't get over how much I like to raid.
Speaker 3: They're tapping into their Viking roots. They're like, this is what I was meant to do ancestry.
Speaker 2: It's it's like how the Oakland Raiders are ostensibly at like their fans are extensively there to support a football team, but it's really about the raiding for the Oakland Raiders fans too, you know, that's what makes that a great.
Speaker 1: Team, Las Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, Sophie, I don't accept that at all.
Speaker 3: That's like me with the net that like, oh, it's it's the Brooklyn Nets. I'm like that they're from New Jersey. It's okay. We don't have to make things up because says it doesn't mean it's not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I refuse to accept that. So when Captain Hunt gets murdered by whether it's by Northern Partisans or Cantrell's Raiders, his son H. L. Hunt, which is the same name as our HL Hunt, right, and it's his dad takes control of the family. Now HL goes by the nickname Hash for reasons lost to history, but are more like rooted in potatoes than marijuana. He's a fascinating figure because his life and his son's life kind of perfectly embody the evolution of American conservatism from the Civil War up to like the modern era, through like the political realignment of the mid twentieth century. Because you have like the Republican Party, which is this like radical progressive force in the country that then becomes like the Conservative Party over a period of time. Right and his family really embodies that very well. In eighteen sixty four, before the war was over, Hash took like, after his dad gets killed, he moves up north and he takes an oath of allegiance to the Union. Per the book Kingdom, up North was where the money was. Hash told his family the South as they had known at all their lives was finished. It would not rise again for fifty years at least. So you see, this is a family the number one never gives up on like the racist things that led them to support the Confederacy. But Hash is a very pragmatic guy. He's like, the Confederacy's not winning the and I want to be where the money is. Like, I'm not going down with the ship. Fuck that my dad did.
Speaker 3: That seems stupid, exactly, Like the slaves are gone. Let's go up to the industry and abuse the Irish.
Speaker 2: Right, abuse whoever we can. Because I'm still racist, don't get me wrong. We can divers So the family winds up in Illinois, which is where our Ahll Hunt is going to be born. In eighteen eighty nine, they start farming, and things are going pretty well for the Hunts for a while. Hash is a good businessman and a skilled farmer. In short order, he meets a girl, the daughter of an Army Union chaplain, and she's named Ella Henderson. This is going to be ahell hunt. Our Hunt's mom. Tusill's book claims that she quote was descended from an old Huguenot line, and she deported herself with a certain aristocratic air, not unworthy of her birth line. Now that's an interesting, weird use of the word deported by too soil there I've never heard. I think he meant to write comported, because I don't think deported actually works that way. But it made its way into the final copy of the book. So they're like, we're just.
Speaker 3: Not Hugoot enough to understand how sophisticated that is.
Speaker 2: You gotta be way more Huguenots to get that word right. Yeah. So, I don't know if she was had Huguenot blood in her veins or whatever, but this is very consistent with what hl Hunt's going to believe about his background and himself, because he thinks he's special, and part of why he thinks is special, he's special is because of his blood. From eighteen seventy three to eighteen eighty nine, the Hunts have eight children, the last of whom is our boy, Haroldson la Fayette. Given that he has the same name as his father, Hash, he was nicknamed Junior and the family soon took to calling him June or Juni. So as a boy, he goes by June or Juni because he's got the same name as his dad, who goes by Hash. Now, the Hunt's five hundred acre farm was productive and supports the family well, but how well it supports them is kind of hard for me to say to sell rights that they quote just managed to scrub out a meager living. But we also know that by the time Hash dies, he gives his all eight of his kids pretty significant inheritances. That suggests they're actually doing very well. Now, maybe I don't know how long it takes them to be doing very well, but certainly by later in his life they're like upper middle class, right, if not rich. It's a little hard for me to tell that.
Speaker 3: Do we know the breakdown of like the genders of the sibling was it like more girls than boys because you can outsource the girls they get they can go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I think it's a pretty a pretty good split. But he's got at least a couple of sisters. Okay. That said, I think it's also Hunt kind of talks up his family having a harder time when he was a kid than they really did, because all conservatives who wind up crazy rich like to pretend they were poorer than they were. Yeah, at any rate. In eighteen ninety four, when JUNI was like five or so, his dad Hash gets elected sheriff of Fayette County. He ran as a Republican, which is a major shift for the son of a Confederate volunteer who'd fought against the Union himself. Hash becomes the first Republican sheriff of Fayette, although not the last. He settled into a pattern of spending a week or so in Vandalia, the county seat, and then heading home for a few days to tend his farm, which was now primarily maintained by his wife and older sons. If Tusill's book gives an accurate account, hl Hunt or Hash was not a pleasant man to have as your dad. Quote Hash Hunt would storm through the house sipping a bit of his own homemade corn whiskey from a jar and thundering to anyone with an earshot. His views on the world, on the hard times that had spread through the nation like a Pestilen's, on the politicians who had brought these conditions about, and on the bare living he was able to scratch out from his farm and his share of salary. So they've got kind of right wing talk radio in the form of their dad. He's just like a drunk rush Limbaugh complaining about how hard things are while he makes a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad he has the authority to arrest people.
Speaker 3: Just drug like you. You there, do you know what you're doing to the actage?
Speaker 2: No law about how drunk you can be as a sheriff in Illinois in the eighteen hundreds, I feel confidence saying that, Thank God for that, Thank God for that. We used to be a proper country, Princess, we used to be a proper country. Exactly So, as I noted earlier, most casual bias of Hunt will point out that he was homeschooled. Now, depending on the source I've seen, arguments that his education was pretty minimal and lacking, and that his mom did a really good job. Whatever the case, he was brilliant from a young age. Hunt purportedly learned to read before he was three years old, and as one writer phrased, it, was clever with numbers from a very early age. Now I suspect these claims are a mix of the truth and some myth making. Hunt is, as an adult going to be an almost supernaturally gifted card counter. He is, legitimately, and there's enough evidence that we know this isn't myth making. When he sits down to play poker, he wins. Right, He's got like a superpower, like he's he's incredible at it. And he's also just His business career shows he's really good with money. He's good at like counting up sort of risk analyzing risk versus like the odds of profit and loss in his head, making snap decisions that wind up being very accurate. So I don't doubt that he's a math genius. I kind of doubt he was full on reading before the age of three, uh, but he probably was precocious. His sisters adored him, and in general, the women and his family paid close and doting attention to the boy. Hunt would later complain of his family's poverty in those years, but the Hunt family were an objectively better shape than their neighbors. The eighteen eighties played host to one of our nation's many regular back before the Great Depression and then afterwards, when they like changed the way the banking system worked in significant ways. We used to have depressions a lot more regularly. Right.
Speaker 3: It's it's like a diagnose of depression. It's like you're gonna have it every couple. You're gonna have a high low day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The national economy was dysthymic. Yeah, exactly. They didn't have prozac yet to really regulate invented money prozac, which is the the FDI. See. I guess h, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the eighteen eighties played host to one of our nations one of these depressions, and most of their neighbors lose everything or almost everything during this time. Now the Hunts don't, but Hash is still unhappy to still describes him as a man driven to rage by his failure to make more of a success of himself, and one who took his frustrations out on his wife and children. This creates a miserable situation for Ella, and she tries to distract herself by obsessively caring for her youngest son, Juni. Per the book Kingdom, Juny was her pet, her baby, and he looked to her for refuge against this strange, violent man who filled him with terror every time he entered the house.
Speaker 4: He was almost a serial killer. He was almost a killer.
Speaker 2: That was like, he's got he gets a few of those vibes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Now you know who else is constantly filled with a terrifying violent rage. Robert the sponsors of this podcast, and we're back talking about the uncontrollable anger that drives our beautiful sponsors. That's what makes them great. So things with his dad and the fact that his mom is kind of dealing with being in a terrible marriage by obsessing over her youngest son. This comes to a head with Junie, who again is the future richest man in the world, was seven years old. Hash came back early from a trip out sheriffing or something, and he stumbles on to what had become something of a secret between Juni, his mother, and the world. Quote. Standing on a milk box in front of her as she worked the dough, the seven year old Juni had his face upturned as he suckled her naked breast. Now, Hash had heard stories from James, the oldest boy still at home who was working the family farm, that Ella Rose was nursing juny longer than was natural. Hash dis missed those stories at the time, having preferred abolishing the thought to facing something that seems shameful and repugnant to him. So that's a bit odd. Seven's late, it's giving.
Speaker 3: It's like a bad kid from Game of Throws. It's like he gotta get off the kitty in that point.
Speaker 2: Seven's a bit much. I don't want to like shame people for nursing, but seven's a bit late. No, we can we can agree, swee Rob.
Speaker 4: And you gotta get off your mom's tit like that is diabolical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So to say that Hash doesn't take finding this out well would be putting it mindly mildly. He starts screaming. He goes into a rage. The book doesn't say he's violent, so I hope he wasn't, but I don't know. But at the very least, he screams at his wife and demands that she explained what the hell is going on? And this is where we get one of the first instances of Dusill's book, presenting us with an incredibly detailed conversation from a moment he absolutely could not know about in any real detail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is his head cannon. He's like.
Speaker 3: He's like, if I get put myself into the mind of my of my hero baby Hash, baby Judy, what is he thinking wiping the milk off his mouth listening to this conversation.
Speaker 2: This has to just be based on what Hunt remembered seventy years later and told his sons maybe about this happening. Uh, but yeah, he claims that. Ella begs her husband not to don't make more of this than it is. Hash and Hash starts yelling even more after this, to which she begs, not in front of Junie. Hash, Please, you'll regret your words later on. I'll regret nothing except not listening to my own instincts. I've been blind for years, too busy to put my foot down when it mattered most. Let this be the end of it, you hear, I'll listen to no pale excuses. This has to end at once. Hash's word was final. Ella Rose never exposed her bosom to her youngest son again, whether out of fear of her husband or out of her own shame was never explained to young June. The boy came to hate and resent his father all the more for taking from him what was the most important thing he had known so far, his intimacy with his mother. Hash tried to assume a more active role in family affairs from that day on, but the effort was a hollow one. His heart simply was not in it. So young Ahl is not going to pick up any good lessons about this. Number one, This is kind of like a weird intimacy that's probably bordering on unhealthy, if not has crossed the line into unhealthy. But the fact that his dad then screams at him and takes it away is even worse and makes like this guy is gonna have so much miny family related issues, and one thing he's going to learn is that families are better off without husbands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a Freudian dream like it's and it's full blown oedipal complex like you get.
Speaker 4: He gets caught like almost like cuckholding his own father, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's obviously not how he sees it as a seven year old, but his dad sure sees it that way.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and I guess, And just.
Speaker 3: The visual of him needing to be on top of a crate to reach the bosom, it's like it's too much, Like I'm not I'm not team hash, but I.
Speaker 4: Definitely think you need to put the kebash on that, Like that is not okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's good stuff. So whenever I'm starting my research into a new bastard, I don't know a lot about going into the project. There's this period of anxiety where I'm like sinking research time into a guy, but I don't know if they're interesting enough to like work as an episode yet. And when I hit this story was the moment I stopped worrying about hl Hunt. I was like, oh, thank god, Okay, Okay, there's something to sink cartoon into with this motherfucker. We're gonna get You don't tend to see this story mentioned in most other articles on the Guy, with a notable exception of one of my major sources for this, which was a chapter from Heather Hindershot's great book What's Fair on the Air, which is about Cold War era right wing broadcasting. She devotes a chapter to Hunt, and she writes this that he had nursed at his mother's breast until the age of seven, was a point of pride, further evidence of his innate specialness. Normal rules didn't apply to him, he reasoned. So that's based on He would talk about this moment like journalists and to his kids, and he was proud of it because again he develops pride in being different from everybody else, right, not subject to the rules. That's also a very important I'm the eldest boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, early, sweet boy, I can suck up my mom's hit as long as.
Speaker 2: I want, boy. Yeah. Now, yeah, there's a lot to say about, like how good because kids need to feel like they matter and like they're special, but not in certain ways. Also like you need to feel like you matter and you're special because everyone matters and a special which is like what mister Rogers tried to get across as opposed to No, no, I'm special as opposed to everyone else.
Speaker 4: And that's why they want to defund PBS everyone. They want you to be reliant to the breast milk.
Speaker 2: Only the breast milk. That's big breast milk is behind all of this, Princess. I've been saying that for years.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the breast milk industrial complex is what really runs this country, good lord. So the feeling of specialness and young h l Hunt was stoked by the way his sisters treated him. While his older brother James and his dad both bullied him, his mom and the girls mothered him with attention. In his biography, to Sill writes that June's sisters teased him often enough about being Ella Rose's favorite, but the teasing was good natured and playful, unlike James's sneering and resentful taunting. The girls regarded Junie as their own special pet as well as Ella Rose's. Right, so that's probably not bad. You know, your sister's kind of babying the youngest kid. But again, this is all going to sort of feed into his I am a special person complex, which isn't gonna be ideal for everyone. Hunt also enjoyed a close relationship with his older brother Leonard, who he idolized and who loved him back. Tusill is one of the people who will argue that this homes that his homeschooling education was quite good. Ella Rose teaches her youngest son Greek, Latin, French, and German, and when he starts reading at age three. It said that she gives him issues of the newspaper so that he could learn what was going on in the world. Now, again, some of this has got to be myth making, but to still claims that Hunt quote gained a reputation throughout the region as a child genius, despite the fact that he never attended the local school. Now what's odd about this to me is the fact that Tusylvin adds his entire education was received from his mother and from his sister's readers, which he devoured when they came home from school. So again, his sisters and brothers get to go to school. Yeah, and it sounds like he doesn't because he's too smart and his mom wants to homeschool him. Is at which is really weird and different and also is going to make him feel very special. I did look through Hunt's FBI report which claims that and that there's a reason why he's got an FBI report, and it includes claims that Hunt was known in the areas being able to memorize a page of pros in two readings by the time he was in the fifth grade, and that that was the end of his schooling. So that kind of suggests he does go to a public school for a while, but everyone else says he didn't. So I don't know what the truth is.
Speaker 1: Weird is the truth?
Speaker 2: Weird is the truth? I think there might be because a lot of the people who write about the end he never went to school, he was homeschooled are like weird right wing and libertaire sources because this guy becomes a weird right wing billionaire. That may be the because it doesn't sound as good to their kind of narrative of like, well, he went to school until he was in the fifth grade, at which point he was homeschooled the rest.
Speaker 3: Of the way, right right, or adding that he was homeschooled by his mother who continuously put her breast in his face, right right?
Speaker 2: Yes, good, it makes less of a good case for homeschooling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not not the triadwife ideal. I'm sure that they want to promote.
Speaker 2: A mouth Yeah, home schooling. So the first way that June exhibited his intellect in a major way to the world was by getting really, really unbeatably good at card games and other games of chance. This is kind of the earliest happiness that he experiences and probably remembers which is beating the piss out of his sisters and brothers at various card games and being praised for it. So this is going to teach him an important lesson. He's never going to get over loving gambling. However, the fact that he's so smart is not without its downsides. Per the book, Kingdom, hash Hunt was not nearly so impressed with his names mental agility as others were, and right from the beginning, Young June had problems with James. You think you're better than the rest of us, don't you, James badgered him incessantly when they were alone. You think you're smarter than we are. Now again to still relates like a page long argument between him and his brother that sounds more like a cheesy screenplay dialogue than a real conversation. There's even a part where his big brother says, you're a mama's pet. That's all you'll ever be. Just like you just write that in you if you're a hack screenwriter, And then you transition immediately to him like as a young adult trying to get his foot in the door at his first business or something right right, It's like he.
Speaker 4: Would have loved young Sheldon.
Speaker 2: He would have loved young Sheldon. So as he grows up in this account, he does everything he can to be the opposite of a mama's boy. First off, he gets swollen. He starts working out. I mean mainly he's just doing like hard labor outdoors, but he gets really jacked. He's a big guy. He's tall, and he is like a bit large, muscular dude. Everyone seems to agree about that. He becomes a skilled or wrider, even bareback, and a skilled outdoorsman. He works with his brother in the family business on the farm, and he proves his worth by using his skill with numbers to benefit everybody and improve the family business. After summarizing all this, too, So gives us another absolutely made up claim. He was growing into a handsome young man, the best looking of all of his brothers. And he's still's gonna say a lot of weird stuff about how sexy this guy is. We'll talk about later. That's kind of a through line in his other biographies. I don't know why it's a stand. To me, he's a stand. He's the ultimate stan.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's so hot.
Speaker 4: Look at Yeah, this dude.
Speaker 2: Could have fucked.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: None of you have photos of this person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we've got some. You can look at some up, So if wy, don't you try to find us a younger one. I only found some. I should have included one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see this.
Speaker 1: Hot I've only the photos. I've only seen her of him when he's older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I only found older ones. But I didn't look as hard as I should have. I'll try to find Yeah. None of this work earns him his father's approval, and his older brother keeps hating him because once Juny proves himself, James resents him for being the better businessman. Eventually, June's constant frustration is alleviated by a miracle. The US declares war on Spain in eighteen ninety eight and Jameson lists, which gets his ass out of the home and gives June some breathing room for the first time in his young life. Well, the future richest man on Earth nears adolescence. His father uses the by now considerable wealth and clout that he'd amassed to start a small local bank, the People State Bank. Weirdly, his oldest son, Robert, who had moved out of the house by this point, starts a separate bank to compete with his dad's bank, which says a lot about the family dynamics that isn't spelled out in this book. But you don't do that if you have a good relationship with your dad, create a spite bank. A spite bank, a bank just despite your father.
Speaker 3: It's so Kendall roy coated. It's like I just giving a succession. I'm just kind of like he's like, I'm the eldest boy. I'm going to make my own bank. Dad.
Speaker 2: It's a really petty succession because the town these banks only serve the town they're in, and the town they're in, Ramsey has six hundred people, and every member counts and every way, Yeah, every member counts in the Spike bank. Yeah, it's it's very funny to sell includes this quote. Hash haat Little appreciated this unique form of incestuous capitalism, but it was a great source of merriment among the neighbors. Everyone's laughing about the spiite bank that his oldest made.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: They're like, if you have a problem with one bank, just like and I will go over to yourself.
Speaker 2: To your brothers, your son's shitty bank. Yeah. So not long after this, his older brothers move out of the house too, and favorite brother Leonard, heads out to the Pacific Northwest to work as a logger. This seems to have ignited a wanderlust and young hl Hunt a desire to go out into the world and make something of himself. Previously, he'd been content living at home and being doted on by his sisters, But at age twelve, he runs away from home for the first time, and he doesn't go far, and the way that Tusil describes it, he's motivated less to escape forever than just he wants to get away for a couple of days and see a little bit of the world before he comes back. He just kind of wants to ramble. And you could kind of do that as a twelve There's not like a CPS going around to make sure everyone's twelve year olds aren't running around right in the rails, like nobody cares in the government at this point in time.
Speaker 3: And there's eight of them, so really you don't even like if you lose one, you got seven other.
Speaker 2: You lose one, you got plenty of kids left. Yeah, he's away a couple of nights, but he comes back changed and from this point on, over the next four years. He's going to leave home regularly every couple of months to explore, and he lives a very peter Pan style existence. In those days two Sill Rights, he had discovered that many other young vagabonds were on the road, boys and girls alike whose families were too poor to feed them properly at home. On occasion, he had hooked up with a gang of them and slept in teenage hobojungles around open campfires.
Speaker 4: That does sound kind of awesome. I would read about that.
Speaker 2: That sounds pretty cool and also kind of like a special hell. But you know, it could be either. I'm imagining it as being exactly like the movie Hook, though, I'll be honest with you, like right down to that brightly colored imaginary food stuff that they throw at each other.
Speaker 1: I have found a young a young hl image.
Speaker 2: Oh good, good, good. You think about that, I'm gonna think about Rufio getting stabbed.
Speaker 4: I was literally like, what if he looks like young Jacob ALRDI not as.
Speaker 2: Not as much, but yeah, he's a big guy. You could see he's like very broad shoulders. Yeah, you know, he's an eighth.
Speaker 4: The looks Maxers would approve of him.
Speaker 2: I think, h Yeah, he's a reasonably good looking guy. Yeah, certainly not a bad looking guy. Nice. Chan just kind of looks like a big white guy.
Speaker 1: Gotta be honest, he just looks like a guy.
Speaker 2: He looks like a big white guy. He's not like a movie star for sure, but he's real big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In those days, if you were huge, it just said like, wow, you're malnourished and dying. Let's make kids.
Speaker 4: You know. It's like George Washington, like, of course he was going to be president. He was six four.
Speaker 2: He was six four. Not a lot of people got to be that big back then. He had to be eating a lot of milk and meat when you were a kid. Yeah. So when he's sixteen, June leaves the house for good. He is six feet tall now, and as we just saw in the picture, pretty big. He's big enough nobody questions that he's like not old enough to be doing whatever he's doing. By the time he's sixteen, he looks enough like an adult that people treat him like one. He leaves in the spring of nineteen oh five, and he first hit Saint Louis, where he gets a job on a railroad. He takes odd jobs to get from Kansas to Colorado, and then he heads up towards Utah, where he gets a gig watching a car load of sheep on a train ride to California. As soon as he gets to California, he falls in love with it, like all sensible people do. Although being a libertarian, to still has to write this in the grossest way that he can. He found California much to his liking, especially the lust blonde beauties who appeared as plentiful as the succulent fruit that grew in this golden, sun soaked land. And no, I gotta tell you this is based on what Tusill thought of California in the eighties. In nineteen oh five, California isn't like the center of like a massive, world renowned entertainment industry. It's like a place some people live in are farming and stuff.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: The weather's famously good, but it's not famous for its blonde beauties. It's just famous as there's when the dust bowl hits in a few decades, it doesn't get hurt as badly as everywhere else. Like people are thinking of California and nineteen oh five in those terms, that's that's that's some shit that Tusill is thinking about. Also, I got to read these next couple of sentences to you. This is this is too Sol describing Hunt after he gets to California.
Speaker 4: Spoiler alert, Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: With his good height and his hard solid body, his deep set blue eyes and rugged looks, he had little trouble in attracting more than his share of young females. His sexuality was strong and developing, and he exuded an aura of raw animal magnetism.
Speaker 1: Okay, with his good height in his hard solid body.
Speaker 2: Who told you that, Jerome to sil, who told you about his hard, hot body and his animal magnetism? Where'd you get that? Jerome is raw?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's the home is just like just just just blow it. Okay.
Speaker 2: He was dead by this point.
Speaker 4: So, but I mean, don't let that limit you.
Speaker 2: Clearly don't Wow, Wow, Princess Weeks. Don't let that limit you.
Speaker 4: That's a dream, dream big, dream.
Speaker 2: Big, dream big and weird. So I should probably say a little more about too Sill here in the late nineteen seventies, after writing that book about iron Rand and failing to become the mayor or the governor, I forget which he grew dissolute with libertarianism as a political tendency. He'd also long since broken with iron Rand over a number of things that he disagreed with her about. He gives up political rabble rousing and becomes a stockbroker and eventually a financial writer. In the nineteen eighties he started writing books on investing, and then he launched a series of biographies. Kingdom is one of them. Another, written in nineteen eighty five, was Trump, The Saga of America's most powerful real estate baron. This is the first published biography of our current president that track I didn't know that that makes sense heard of the New York I'm going to quote from the New York Times here denied access to his subject, members of his family, and most of his associates. Mister Tussill relied heavily on newspaper and magazine accounts to produce what Michael Stern, writing in The New York Times Book Review, called a g whizzard of a biography that points a key to mister Trump's career his ability to turn political friendships, tax abatements, and government loans into opportunities for profit, Which does sound like an accurate descriptive kind of how he made his money. But also it shows like that's kind of his sources. He found some newspapers and magazine accounts. Maybe he talked to a couple guys about Hunt who knew him. But a lot of this is just him kind of filling into blanks to make this exciting. And I know I'm spending way longer in these episodes about Hunt talking about his biographer than I should. But everything I find out about Jerome Tussol kind of drives me crazy. His other I look to do his bibliography and his other books. His most famous book, one of them is he wrote a history of black soldiers in the Spanish American War. That's like super anti Teddy Roosevelt, and it's apparently a pretty good book. He's not like a crypto fascist or anything. But when I saw that he made a Trump biography, I got this, like I decided to look into that a little bit, and I just started doing some word surges because I was like, does he is this weird? Him calling a Hunt hod a lot? Is that like a pattern in his books. I'm going to read you, yes, Yes, Princess, it is. Here's a paragraph from his book on Trump. Fred Trump was still tall, and that's our president's dad. Fred Trump was still tall and slim at sixty seven, with a full head of dark, graying hair, handsome in a nineteen forties movie star way, sporting a swept back pompadour and a dark, pencil thin mustache. Indeed, he looked as though he might have stepped out of an old movie starring Barbara Stanwicker Joan Crawford, the mysterious charmer, faintly dangerous. Donald as tall as Fred, both men standing a couple of inches over six feet, handsome, clean shaven, with only a hint of a poudy sneer crossing his lips.
Speaker 1: I've seen what this man looked like in many phases of his life.
Speaker 4: He is none of that.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: He is not going to show you a picture of these two next to each other from this time. He's the t F. He's d F DTF Trump's dad, And here's Trump's dad in nineteen sixty nine. He does not look like a sexy movie star, but he does want.
Speaker 4: The Eiffel Tower. That Trump Tower guys.
Speaker 2: He dan it does, and he kind of he looks sort of like if Walt Disney had projeer Rha, like his face is not smooth, looking like, he's not handsome. It's weird way to describe Fred Trump. Yeah, a lot of forehead, forehead, a lot of forehead, very red.
Speaker 4: Very red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he loves I think he just loves money so much that it makes whatever man around him like the hottest guy.
Speaker 1: Not that that is not what we call a Babraham Lincoln.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 2: I have to read a lot of biographies, very and even autobiographies, you know, for these this this show I do. I've never run into a guy who talks about how hot his subjects are this often. It's really, it's really, yeah, it's truly.
Speaker 3: Now what that's Olivia Newsy's like in Spoboor She's like, that's the text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's there. It's great reference. So I did. I kept digging because I wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole this went. I found an archived copy of two Sells biography of Rupert Murdoch from nineteen eighty nine, because of course he wrote the Murdox biography that said, I didn't find any returns for handsome or any related terms. I didn't read through the book, so maybe he just used different words to talk about murder being hot anyway, This is a pointless diversion, but I had to do it. Sorry you.
Speaker 3: It's now I'm imagining like him doing biographies of like Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: Holmes, and.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of a lot of pages talking about how Turtleneck fed her Jerome. Do we need to edit maybe some of this down.
Speaker 4: That's what the people want. They're here, they're here for my thirst straps.
Speaker 2: You know who else has a crush on Elizabeth Holmes those products this podcast? Sorry, that's right, that's right, that's right. We're back. So let's talk about La hl Hunt.
Speaker 1: Some more about myself for that one.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah you should. Sorry, Sophie. I'm not happy. No one's happy.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, No one's happy.
Speaker 2: Accept the subject of our episodes, hl Hunt, who is happy because he's moved to San Francisco by this point in the story of the early nineteen hundreds, and he falls into a happy life gambling with sailors and prostitutes and other assorted people living on the margins of the world. He finds out that he's really good at poker and that he can win money basically every time he plays to Sill chalks U up to his photographic memory. In essence, Hunt is someone whose brain just automatically starts card counting, like he doesn't even know what he's doing, right, but that's just how he his head works, and so he just always wins when he's playing poker. Hunt is able to live comfortably in a fleabag motel. Is a card shark. And you know, after some period of months of this, to Sill treats us to another deeply uncomfortable paragraph about Hunt, like he invites this prostitute into his room and he's so good at sex that she falls in love with him, Like he wins the heart of a prostitute for being really good at fucking.
Speaker 4: Lord, yeah, stop, it.
Speaker 2: Is great. According to this account, this prostitute that he's with finds out that the hotel he's staying in he tells her, and she's like, oh no, they drug young men there and like shanghai them to force them to work on boats somewhere, which is the thing that happened in that period of time. And he's like, and they're about to do it tomorrow night or something like that, so we have to flee town. And he winds up like leaving fucking San Francisco for Reno, and he tries out for a minor league baseball team but that doesn't pan out. But while he's away, there's a horrible quake in San Francisco and the hotel that he'd been staying and collapses. So June becomes convinced as a result of this that he's someone special and that the universe has marked him out for a purpose. All of this is just really reinforced that he is the special boy of history, right, That's how this man grows up feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, like I said, he didn't have the making of a.
Speaker 2: Varsity ye, yeah, not have the makings of a varsity athlete.
Speaker 4: No, Princess and I are just.
Speaker 1: Referencing every single HBO show.
Speaker 4: Exactly or just like we're just throwing out there.
Speaker 1: It's good also, audience, Robert's never seen the Sopranos, and I'm very upset about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not my Yeah, I don't know. The anti Italian discrimination, Sophie, that's my issue with the Sopranos. You know, my people didn't work a very very hard to become famous for making hand gestures and running buca to Beppo for you to bring us down by associating us with the mafia. And yes, I did have multiple family members who were involved in organized crime, but that's still a bad stereotype, even though a lot of Italians do have a family history in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Wow, I think you would fucking love this.
Speaker 4: It's an amazing show.
Speaker 3: Like, Okay, the amount of racism that I have that, I'm like, but I love Tony Soprano.
Speaker 4: I was like, listen, I get it. It's fine. I forgive him because he wants.
Speaker 2: To fight the f Yeah, by the FBI. He wants to Hey, so so did one of my cousins. It didn't then well for him. The gun that killed him sold at auction a few years ago for like fifty grand or something. Nice. Yeah, yeah, I feel like I should own that. Actually kind of bumped me out.
Speaker 4: You're just.
Speaker 2: Killed my cousin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too, But I wouldn't approve of you spending that much on a family heirloom.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, it's that's why I didn't you put it on the auction. But I was, I was like, it's fucked up for anyone else to own the gun that killed my cousin. It's fucked up to sell a gun and be like, this is the gun that killed this guy, but fifty is wild. Yeah, that's all happening at around this time. I forget how exactly how much it's sold for. It was a crazy amount. So anyway, I don't know how much credence to give the whole I was so good at sex that like a magical prostitute saved my life by helping me escape an earthquake. Thing that's not I can believe that, Like he left a hotel in San Francisco and not long after there was an earthquake, because that earthquake did happen, and a lot of stuff was destroyed by it, and a lot of people had the experience of a week or two earlier, I was in the hotel that collapsed. Tons of people would have had a story like that. So it's very possible. And it's just a thing that happened to hundreds and hundreds of people because that's how hotels work. And he takes from this, I am special and marked out for greatness. Right, So one of the other things that we see in Hunt, you know, in the early days, he has this growing belief that he's special, and he also has a fundamental distrust of his fellow man. Not long after all of this Brujaja with San Francisco and trying out for baseball and Reno, he's like, Gozies, I think he's in Arizona. He's in the Southwest. He's working like with a bunch of day laborers, and there's like white day laborers, and there's a group of Mexican day laborers and they have separate camps because it's the nineteen it's like nineteen o six or something that's a little seven. And he he goes over along with some of the other white workers to play cards with the Mexican laborers one night, and Hunt just wins everything. He takes all of these Mexican guys money, which winds up to like four grand everything they have in the world. And so the other white dudes. The longer he wins, they start leaving to go back to their camp because they're like, hey, hey man, or hey Hunt, maybe you want to go. You probably don't want to take all these guys' money. This seems like it could get dangerous, so they leave, but Hunt does it. He can't stop playing cards when he's playing cards, so he doesn't stop until he's taken all of their money, at which point he realizes all of his friends are gone and he gets like scared, and he basically takes the money and runs off into the bushes because he feels like he has to hide from the Mexicans, even though as far as we know, they never go after him or try to hurt him. All of the evidence suggests they took their loss fine and they didn't like threaten him. He just is sure that because they're Mexicans, they're going to try to kill him to get their money back, So he like hides in the bushes, and then he tries to, like, in the middle of the night hike back to the camp with his friends. But when he gets back there, he's like, wait a second, how well do I really know these guys. They're definitely going to rob me. They know I have all this money, they might kill me. So he has a panic attack and he like hides and camps out in the woods that night, and then like goes just leaves quits the job and hikes off into another town, basically because he doesn't want to be near where anyone knows that he's won this money. Quote from Tusill's book, how could he trust these brawny strangers who knew he had made a killing that night? What was to stop two or three of them from jumping him in his bunk, leaving him with a knife between his ribs, and slipping off with his winnings. So you've heard of being the most special boy, right, there's this deep distrust of other people that again, at no point, and he so just writes this like, of course he was reasonable to fear that these Mexicans were going to kill him, But at no point is there any evidence that they threaten his life at all. I do want to emphasize that this is all entirely something he decides. So he makes his way to South Dakota, where he meets who, to Sill's book, describes this as the best friend he's going to have in his entire life, A dude named Steve, no last name provided now to still insists that this is the best, the c closest.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We don't even need.
Speaker 2: Last day if we're that close.
Speaker 4: That is a cliche of like boy friendships of life? Was his last name?
Speaker 1: I don't know Steve one name he thinks he's fucking Zendaya or some shit.
Speaker 2: What's happening right, fucking Steve, see I kind of sink. Steve Hunt probably tells his kids later in life that this guy was his best friend ever, because I don't know otherwise why t still would insist it. But they only know each other for like a few days, maybe a few weeks, and the main thing, the only story we get about their marvelous friendship is that one night Hunt beats Steve at cards and takes all of his money, which is like two hundred and sixty bucks, and he feels bad about it, so he's like, hey, man, you don't have to pay me back, and Steve is like, no, you know, I made a promise. You know, this is a this is a bond I owe you, and I'm gonna pay you. You know, don't think anything about it. And then Steve sits down and has like the fucking ben Affleck conversation with his friend where he's like, you need to leave here. You got to go to college. You're too smart to keep you know, working like this, right, And so Hunt is like, you know what, You're right, Steve, and he leaves off to go to college. And they never see each other again. And that is the greatest friendship of his entire life.
Speaker 4: God, he invented a father figure just so he could go to school.
Speaker 2: A man insisted on paying him and then did a goodwill Hunting to him his best friend Steve. They knew each other for days, friend Steve never met again.
Speaker 1: Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now age seventeen, Steve or not Steve Hunt briefly attends college. Yeah, yeah, he's seventeen. He goes to Valpereiso, which is known as the poor Man's Harvard, and he robs his fellow students they're blind at card games, and then dips after like a s. He never gets a degree. He just kind of takes everyone's money and then leaves. He goes home. He's around eighteen now when he finally makes his way back home for the first time since he'd left, and he stays at home for a while, but then he sets out again with his brother Leonard. This time they go out to like work in the Northwest together and make money. But Lynyard gets sick with tuberculosis, you know, and pretty soon he can't friend of the pod tuberculosis and he can't keep up with his brother, and he has another. He still has another, like heartfelt car, you know, Leonard is liked his brother. Look, you got to go on without me. I'm too slow. Don't let me stop you from achieving greatness, basically, And so Hunt goes up to Canada, right, And he's working in Canada in nineteen ten when he gets a telegram that his brother is has just died. Lenyard has died, you know, of his tuberculosis. So Hunt heads home for the funeral, and he stays at home for a few months. And while he's there, his dad dies too. Right, So point hl Hunt is like eighteen nineteen, you know, he's no longer going by junior. And after his dad dies, he inherits five thousand dollars. He doesn't get the land. Someone else gets the land because he's not living at home. But he gets like a nest egg of money and he takes this and he adds it to the money that he's saved up it from working as a card shark, and he decides, I'm gonna stop wandering. I'm gonna make real money. And in order to do that, I need to like invest in something, and I want to start a farm. Right, His Dad had always talked about how much better the soil was down in the South, and how oh, if only we lived in Arkansas then we'd really be doing well, you know as farmers. So Hunt moves down south to Arkansas near the end of nineteen eleven, and he's gonna buy a farm and he's going to invest in, you know, the set next part of his life, and we will get to that and what happens later and how he becomes the richest man on earth in part two, Princess, how you feeling?
Speaker 3: I am excited to find out about this man whose family was like, let's move to the north.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, actually I regret that.
Speaker 2: Let's go back yep, Princess.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything you want to plug real quick? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a YouTube channel, Princess Weeks. I talk about pop culture, sci fi, all the good stuff. And yeah, I'm just happy to be here. This is really interesting. I love this really really hot millionaire in training.
Speaker 2: Yes, sexy millionaire narcissist. Yeah, so hot.
Speaker 4: His brother's like, no, you're just keep going, just keep going, don't.
Speaker 2: Keep going, keep going. You're too hot. Don't don't be slowed down by my my Conveniently narratively convenient. Yeah wow, uh.
Speaker 1: Will be back with part two.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody go to help. I love you, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of Cool Zone Media. From more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Full video episodes that Behind the Bastards are now streaming on Netflix, dropping every Tuesday and Thursday. Kit remind me of Netflix. You don't miss an episode. For clips in our older episode catalog, continue to subscribe to our YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards. We love about forty percent of you, statistically speaking,