Speaker 1: Hi, Catherine, Hello Chelsea.
Speaker 2: This is our post election minisode. Minisode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we wanted to gather some resources for everybody to make sure that the people who want to get involved and activate are doing something. There was like eleven million people that didn't vote this year compared to Biden, So I think the popular vote ended up at eighty one million for Biden and around seventy million for Kamala, and then Trump got seventy five million, which is only one million more than he got last time he ran. So the comfort in that is that it's not like he's gaining an audience. The Left has lost their audience because of Gaza and Israel and a bunch of people that didn't want to vote because of that, which I will never understand, because if anyone's going to go after Israel in a more aggressive way, it is Trump. At least Kamala would have pressured Netnya, who first cease fire and at this point is to blame for this ongoing pulverization of Gaza. But anyway, that should be some comfort knowing that he didn't gain so many more followers. I don't believe every Trump voter is a racist and a bigot. I just believe that people are really uninformed in this country, and that's what Trump's administration wants is for people to get more uninformed, and we're gonna make sure we get more informed. And one of the things I just wanted to touch upon is like I read this book about economics when I saw this economist speak at one of these like getaways.
Speaker 2: Like this was years ago retreat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of these like Google retreats or something that I went to. And the economy that we're experiencing now is not because of Biden. It's because of fucking Donald Trump. That every economic policy, the major economic policy, takes four to six years to actually show up in society.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: You don't just make a change in a policy and it affects everybody. Inflation is not a result of Biden being pre Inflation is a result of COVID happening in twenty twenty and all of the measures we had to take to make sure people were stabilized after COVID. That's why our economy is in the whole. One of the reasons. The other ones are wars everywhere, and yes, we do support wars in other countries because we're supposed to be a democracy, and we're supposed to be helping other places remain democratic. So that's why our economics are the way they are. Trump is going to walk in now where the economy is going to boon a little, and that's because of what Biden did to stabilize our economy, which he gets absolutely no credit for. So and then you're going to see all of the policies that Trump enacted.
Speaker 2: But I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be lecturing my audience because I don't think Mandy Trump supporters are listening.
Speaker 2: That's probably true, And if you are.
Speaker 1: I'd love to understand where you're coming from. I really would, because your vote is for the collective, not for yourself, I think. But I know I come from a place of privilege and maybe you think I could afford that luxury, but I'm always voting for the sake of others and marginalized communities. That is the first thing I think of, Yeah, not my pocketbook.
Speaker 3: While should we provide some resources.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's provide some resources.
Speaker 3: So I feel like for those that have money, give money. If you have time, give time. I think this is you know, we took our week to wallow and this is time to get involved with an organization that you feel passionately about.
Speaker 2: And I think bringing.
Speaker 3: Back how pissed off we all were in twenty sixteen is going to be a real big theme for the next four years. We were all in the streets, we were active in our communities, and you know, we had four years to sort of chill out a little bit, and now we get actionable again.
Speaker 2: Take Now we take action again. Okay.
Speaker 1: So some of these these are all LGBTQ plus organizations that you can support today. You can join, to volunteer, you can you can donate whatever you feel comfortable doing.
Speaker 2: There's the Trevor Project.
Speaker 1: There's g l SCN lesson that creating safe and inclusive schools for LGBTQ plus students, and there's Alambda Legal, which is Lambda Legal. Then there's the Campaign for Southern Equality CSE, which expands legal protections and healthcare access for LGBTQ people in the South. There is the Phoenix Transition Program, which provides support across the country for distributing gender affirming clothing and developing crisis funds. And then there's the trans Housing Initiative, which is THCHI STL addressing housing inequality for trans people in Saint Louis through training and financial literacy support. And then there is Parent Families and Friends of Lesbian and gaysp FLAG support, education and advocacy for LGBTQ plus people and their families.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fantastic, and that's all places that you can reach out to if you are a queer person or transperson, or you need resources, if you're looking to get involved, you can give to organizations like the ACLU.
Speaker 2: I know they're super duper and warm moode right now.
Speaker 3: You can get involved with places like the Yellowhammer Fund, which is an incredible organization. They not only provide funds for people who need abortion care, but you can also join with them in maybe accompanying someone to their appointment if they need a chaperone, or helping to drive someone to where they need to be to get the health care that they need. But also, like locally, you can get involved in your local LGBTQ youth organization. There is a new organization that I well maybe it's not new, but I just recently learned about it called Stand in Pride, and they're available for LGBTQ folks who maybe don't have supportive family, maybe don't have a lot of community, and they'll do anything from like listening. If you've had a bad day and you need somebody to talk to up to there'll be somebody to walk you down the aisle. If your family is not attending your wedding, so definitely reach out to them if you need some support. But also, like, Chelsea, what would you say about getting involved with people that you know? I mean, I think, like send somebody a note. If you have like a queerer, trans person or a person of color in your life who you know you feel like needs a little bit of extra support right now, send them a note, send them a text. If you're feeling like your your nervous system is totally shot, get out in nature. Any other sort of recommendations that.
Speaker 1: You'd have, Chelsea, Yeah, I mean I would just remind everybody to act with a lot of love and a lot of you know, spread joy and love wherever you can, and support to anybody who's confused or scared. And I even if that person is you, I think when you really kind of can. I looked up a word this weekend called aura in Spanish that means now, but in English. It's about spreading love, kindness, and empathy, and I think we need that more than ever, Like we've lost our way as a society. People don't give a shit about other people. So if you're somebody who does, make sure other people feel that love and compassion, go out of your way for people. You know, we're all in this together, and the more we can become a collective and stand in solidarity with each other and do little small things for people, little small acts of kindness to people each day, is going to help your soul and help others.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what advice would you have? I know a lot of people are staring down the barrel of Thanksgiving and other holidays and potentially being around family that they're not excited to be around.
Speaker 1: Right now, I am not going to be around any of my family members that.
Speaker 2: Are involved in Trump.
Speaker 1: That's where and that's where I'm at, and that's.
Speaker 2: Where I'm staying. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I sent an email to someone last night letting them know that they were not welcome to come to my special taping.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 1: Long this feeling will last where I am not willing to hang out with anybody that supports conspiracy theories or believes, you know, the things that I steadfastly stand again. So I don't know if that's the right advice to give to everyone. I'm not giving it. I'm just telling you that's what I'm doing because I'm too disheartened to have any energy around me like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think from both of us, you're off the hook and you don't have to go be with your family right now. I'll make a different, cozy little plan for the holidays.
Speaker 1: And you don't have to be an asshole about it. No, No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm not there yet. I can't. I can't be with you guys yet. I mean, that's great advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, so I know we went over a lot of LGBTQ groups. There's also Earthjustice dot org, which is focusing on the climate and environmental law. So that's one of the nation's leading environmental law organizations. And then there's also Indivisible, which is a grassroots movement of thousands of local indivisible groups with a mission to elect progressive leaders, rebuild our democracy, and defeat the Trump agenda.
Speaker 2: That's Invisible dot org.
Speaker 1: And then there are some crisis hotlines because I know a lot of people are.
Speaker 2: Panicking and are feeling very hopeless.
Speaker 1: So for anyone who has a transgender member of their family or if you are trans, there is a trans Lifeline, which is a twenty four to seven hotline and the numbers eight seven seven five six five eight eight six. Oh. The Trevor Project has a hot line two for any members of the LGBTQ community. That's eight six six four eight eight seventy three eighty six. That's eight sixty six four eight eight seventy three eighty six. And then there's the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, so that's one eight hundred two seven three eight two five five. And then there's a Crisis text line, which is a free twenty four seven twenty four hour a day, seven day week support service for those in crisis, and you can text start to seven four to one dash seven four to one. And then there's an lgbt Q National Youth talk Line and you can call them at eight hundred two four six seven seven four to three. And all of these organizations except donations and are all looking for volunteers.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that is your election update everyone. Godspeed,