Speaker 1: Episode five Oho one is episode two ninety eight No Cost Ways to be More Eco Friendly.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and it's April and we love every April to do an episode on zero waste, sustainability and all the ways that you can be more sustainable and eco friendly minus the marketing greenwashing.
Speaker 3: We are hearing from so many of our listeners from a variety of different platforms saying that this is of interest to you. How can we be more sustainable with the purchases that we make the everyday decisions? And we did an episode on this, so we might as well pull it back out of the archives for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was one of your favorite episodes from a few years ago, so we're replaying it. But first, this episode is brought to you by your Emergency Fund. So this week on Monday, we started a new series on Instagram called Weekly Money Move. Every Monday, we're sharing a money move you can do this week to organize and optimize your Money. We even made a separate account on Instagram to keep all of the videos for this series organized, so you can follow that at Weekly Money Move. Also, if you get the friend Letter, every Monday's friend Letter is now going to be themed to the Weekly Money Move, so you're going to get it in text version in your inbox every Monday morning, so you know the one thing to be working on for the week. And on Instagram, you're going to see a completely unhinged video of and I because we're so tired of boring educational social media videos, so we have made a commitment that every Weekly Money Move video will be completely unhinged. It will make you question if we're okay.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 1: We just want you to laugh so that you stick around and you hear the words that we're saying and you optimize your money. And this week's money move is do an emergency fund check, So we talk all about what an emergency fund check is over on at Weekly Money Move, on Instagram, and again subscribe to the Friend Letter Frugal Friends podcast dot com so you can get it in your inbox and we're excited to share that. We're also sharing it in the Sunday Reset, so it comes out on Sunday, and the Weekly Money Move comes out on Monday, so we are going to talk about what we did and review the Weekly Money Move we just did so you can kind of get an idea of how it goes for normal other people, normal people, I wanted to say normal people, but unhinged people.
Speaker 3: We've had so much fun recording these videos for our at Weekly Money Move Instagram account, and it is helpful information about finances. Everything that is coming out of our mouths is helpful, but everything our bodies are doing is quite distracting.
Speaker 4: But we think we we love it.
Speaker 3: We actually don't know if you're gonna love it, but we love it and we're doing it for us and for you.
Speaker 1: Market research and testing has shown that everyone thus far has loved them. We have actually recorded six videos so far and everyone has loved all of them, so we are excited to share them with you every Monday. So we also have more episodes on the podcast about sustainability.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: We do this every April and sometimes more often. Episode three ninety eight Frugal Zero Waste Living, Episode two sixty six where we talk with Stephanie Spherion from the Sustainable Minimalism podcast. We talk about how sustainability, minimalism, and frugality all work together and it's it's fantastic. So I hope that you enjoy this episode as much as everyone else did two years ago when we played it.
Speaker 4: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about no cost ways to be more eco friendly. We're splitting this into two parts, as we normally do. The first is mindset shifts for sustainability because we haven't really talked about that aspect much, and then the second is some actual practical no cost tips.
Speaker 4: Love it this.
Speaker 3: So the first article comes from the Family Footprint Project and is talking about, like Jen said, the mindset shifts for sustainable living, another kind of area that is lesser talked about, of what needs to happen in our thoughts and our mind before we're going to see the behavioral actions that follow. It always will begin first in our thoughts, but yet we just love to jump straight to the behaviors. It rarely works. So here we are with some of the mindsets, and the first one that they mentioned is imperfect action being willing to embrace and accept actions that are imperfect, and I so appreciate even just starting with this tip because I think anytime we talk about issues that we are facing in the world where there might be injustice or difficulty or a demand for doing better that there can be then this really unforgiving nontrust surrounding it of you have to be doing all of the things and it needs to rise to the same level of importance as I'm feeling right now as I dedicate my life to this thing. And I mean, I love all the advocacy people out there, but sometimes and I'm mostly like also talking about myself because I've been in the injustice world for a long time. It can be all consuming and we can demand so much, and then that can lead to people just not doing anything because it feels so overwhelming. It's like I can't do that perfectly. I'm gonna get yelled at. I don't even know if I want to touch it because it feels so volatile. But this new movement and new wave that is far less shaming and just recognizing small steps towards getting better, it is going to be imperfect. What's important to you is not necessarily going to be the most important thing to me, but in each of our own ways, finding what can we do to be actively moving towards greater levels of sustainability that will benefit our environment, the world around us, other people, ourselves. You don't have to do it perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is unfortunate that we live in a culture that loves to point out imperfection, whether it be in the past or the present. It just loves to call out other's imperfection, usually as a deflection from our own imperfection. And so there's always going to be people out there that do that. But know that if you're taking small steps, it doesn't matter what other people are saying. You're going in the right direction, and you just have to have grace for people that might be judgmental and know that it comes out of they're insecurity, not your lack of trying and moving in.
Speaker 4: The right direction. Yes.
Speaker 1: The next is conscious consumption. This is the things that having no intention of moving off the grid and living solely off the land, which I'm sure would mean fostering out my children who would refuse to come with me. The author is definitely honest. She says, I'm faced with being a consumer, which we all are. We say this over and over again. Have you spend money, We spend money. We love spending money. Spending money is not the enemy, and very much in frugality, spending money is seen as the enemy. What really is the enemy is the mindless consumption. The I mean you are conscious if you're awake, but unconscious consumption I like it saying mindless habitual. That type of consumption that is the enemy. Actual consumption is not. So we want to move more towards intentional and conscious consumption of products. And so this article actually references the five rs that we talked about in last year's Zero Waste episode, which is refuse, reduce, reuse, rot, and recycle. And so we're very familiar with reduce, reuse, recycle, but in the zero waste world, first we refuse, and so that is refusing to bring things into your home that you do not need, refusing to bring things in that our impulse purchases are even free things from your by Nothing group that you probably don't need but are just taking for free. So that's the first one. And then it also adds rot before recycle, so if you have if you can compost, to try to do that first, and then recycle is last. So being very aware of the things that you're bringing into your home and being very aware of the things you are spending your money on and the journey that they took to get there. That alone, just having that mindset is that I'm conscious of the journey that my item took to my home can really change a lot about how you buy things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is a great concept for us just solely financially, but how much more so when we add on the layer of the benefit it has for the environment when we are more conscious consumers. So I love it when we could just like stacks on stacks on stacks, really solid reasons for being mindful and good stewards. So there's just another one. And I love the additional ours refusing and rotting. That's perfect for me. The next one on this list is having this mindset that is more and more headed towards valuing second hand. And I think a lot of people, if you do buy secondhand, might come at this concept for a variety of reasons. Some people enter into the second hand purchasing world purely to save some money, Others enter into it purely from a reducing waste perspective, But it can serve all the purposes and as we're able to add more value to that then it won't just be this, Oh, let me just see if I can do this to save money, because the second we're not as concerned about spending less, then we might be buying new. And that's what the author gave as an example in their own lives of Yeah, they used second hand and free, which is secondhand usually too. In their college days when they didn't have a lot of money, it was not only what's at the thrift store, but just what's on the side of the road, what's in someone's dumbst But then the second they got a job, that wasn't needed anymore for their lifestyle, and so they were buying new. And so to keep us on this track of second hand purchasing can come when we are then also concerned about reducing waste and consuming in a more kind of ethical, sustainable kind of way, so wherever we can, and that goes along with the rs of reusing, repurposing, buying something that's already using. I love how they say they realized that the second something is purchased or bought, it is now used. So even if you are the one who purchased it new, now that you've bought it, it's used. So that can be a helpful reframe in if there are any barriers to buying used items, there can be some really amazing deals to be found and also keeping things out of the landfill.
Speaker 4: So I'm all about and I'm here.
Speaker 3: For secondhand, and that's your thrift stores, that's your buy nothing, that's your Facebook marketplace, that's your hand me down from friends, wherever you can get second hand dug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a radical middle to be found here too. I talk to a mom once who was like, I can't buy my kid's closed secondhand because they go through them so fast. They're just so rough on their jeans. And that is very like, that's an extreme thought, is that I can't buy any of my kids clothes second hand because they are so rough on them. I have to buy them firsthand. But there is a there is a radical middle. So maybe your kid has ten pairs of jeans, five of them are new, five of them are thrifted. They go through those five maybe faster than the new ones, but then maybe they can pass those new five down those ones that were newer, pass those down to the next kid, and then they get five more new ones, or they just use out the thrifted ones faster, and by the time they're ready to move up in size, they are left with five pairs of genes.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Alternatively, there's someone at the other end of that spectrum who has bought stuff that their kids never wore. So it's not as if you can't find things the thrift store that aren't already tattered. There are plenty of things that you can buy pre owned, but that doesn't always mean pre used.
Speaker 1: That's so true. Yeah, So there is a radical middle to be had in second hand. You do not have to be all second hand or all new in anything. And I would just challenge you to explore how secondhand you can get in a reasonable way that fits your lifestyle.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For me, I always buy my undies new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're a full support of new underwear, full support. If that was something is that's a question you had for the frugal friends. We just want to we just want to put that out there.
Speaker 4: We are all your own.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely So. The next one is reevaluate assumptions, which is kind of what I was just talking about. With the mindset of having to be all in secondhand or all out, really reevaluate what you assume about your your footprint. So the author says, I've discovered assumptions that I held which prevented me from taking certain actions. I touched on an assumption about buying new above, so it was a similar thing that I said, and it was just what I did. I didn't think about it. I just assumed that was what people, including me did. So even if the people around you are doing things one way, we're here to tell you that there are people surely doing it another way, and maybe they're doing it all the way.
Speaker 4: But you don't have to do that either.
Speaker 1: So it is difficult to uncover your underlying assumptions. The author does acknowledge that because you don't know what you don't know, and that's kind of one of the reasons we do this podcast is just to open up mindsets to like reveal things that you may not know. But go in baby steps, go at a pace and change at a pace that is no pun intended, sustainable and doable for you.
Speaker 4: And always if you have.
Speaker 1: A like in your mind, something that you're like, oh, I can only do this because and you've rationalized it out if it's an absolute challenge, that challenge that mindset in yourself if you have any absolute mindsets or thoughts, take a moment and just be like, Okay, I assume this is one hundred percent. Let me just live for a second if this wasn't one hundred percent, what would it look like for that, for this one hundred percent mindset to be untrue, and just think about how what that would look like.
Speaker 4: It's such a good exercise.
Speaker 3: It may not change everything entirely, but it's a good thing to know that not everything has to be boxed in and it might lead you to a really creative solution.
Speaker 4: So this is great for multiple reasons.
Speaker 3: The next article we want to go through now gives some actual tips of things that we can be implementing to aim at greater levels of sustainability in some no cost ways, and it comes from Real Simple.
Speaker 4: The article is titled.
Speaker 3: Ten low cost and no cost ways.
Speaker 4: To help the planet.
Speaker 3: This was in twenty twenty two, but we're just going to move that over to also twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Three as well. Date it we will eat.
Speaker 3: We're not going to go through all ten. Both Jen and I are going to pick some of our favorites, and I will kick it off with one of my favorites, which is number one, reduce food waste. And again we reference that we did do an entire episode on this episode one seventy six if you want to take an even deeper dive into what this could look like. But the article references that globally we waste close to forty percent of all the food that's produced, which is.
Speaker 4: Really wah wah.
Speaker 3: That's so so so much food waste, which then leads to all sorts of greenhouse gas emissions. And it's just it's not great. It's a waste of money, it's a waste of food that could be sustaining us, and so wherever we can do our part. And I love the breaking it down into smaller and smaller steps. This is definitely something that every household can be implementing. It's not this big, massive overhaul of lifestyle. It's tweaking things here and there to make sure that we are only buying what we need, consuming what we've bought, being really wise and intentional with like even anything that's left over. And they I love the tips that they give of some simple steps to be moving towards less food waste, of taking that extra time to plan out your meals before you find yourself at the grocery store. I am definitely one who can think this is going to take way longer than it actually does. But it truly only needs to take ten minutes to sit down, look at your week and identify, Okay, when will I be out this, when will I be sharing a meal with friends, when will I be home? And what can the plan be. Then, because you're at home, you can compare what you plan on making to what you already have in the fridge and pantry and really only buy what you need. Also making good use of your freezer.
Speaker 4: So if you've.
Speaker 3: Cooked extra and you know, if I put this in a container in the fridge, it probably won't get eaten because we're going to be gone most of the rest of the week, then throw it in the freezer. I think that earlier on in my reducing food waste journey, this was one of my biggest downfalls of thinking, Okay, we'll just put it in the fridge, and then a week would go by and there we go, we got to throw it out. And so realizing how better to utilize my freezer, which also plays into that earlier step of meal planning planning stuff that is very freezable knowing I'm going to have leftover, and that's just like a double whammy because then you've got food already prepared for your busy nights. And also recognizing the difference between expiration dates and best before dates. I think sometimes we can be overly cautious. I'm like treading very carefully here, but best before is not the same thing as expired. I'm not trying to tell you to eat moldy or rancid things, but recognize that if something, yeah, that you just opened recently, but the best before date is passed, it could still very well be that you can eat that thing. And to not let your desire to just purge and have a very clean looking fridge overtake the necessity of reducing food waste, and if it is about to go bad, is there a way that you could cook that into a meal that quickly goes into the freezer or something before it goes bad.
Speaker 1: Number two is to recycle smarter, not harder. And I am reminded of this one. I think back to our episode with Ron Gonan on The Circular Economy about like dream cycling. So don't throw something in the recycling bin just because you want it to be recyclable, to actually know what is recyclable, and it's different in many cities, even like communities within cities for some reason, so you should please, please please. It takes no extra cost. It is absolutely free to do a Google search on how to recycle. So just making sure things are clean, and if you, in all honesty, if you don't feel like cleaning it, if you don't have the time to throw it away, because if you put something into the recycling that will not be accepted, it could contaminate the entire bin, and which in which case nothing, even recycle couple items, nothing will get recycled in that bin. So please just be on the cautious side. Don't or wish, don't wish cycle. Please educate yourself on recycling, how clean certain things need to be, YadA, YadA, so that the things in your bin do actually get recycled.
Speaker 3: The next on here happens to be number three that I also love reduce, reduce, reduced, reduice reduce reduce. So yes, recycling is good, but reducing our waste is even better. And a lot of times in this article too is specifically talking about those single use plastics. Oh, there are such a culprit and that just leads to an overwhelming amount of waste when we are only using something one time, just like the toll that that takes on all aspects of the production and then the post production following the use. There's so much that can be said for just decreasing the amount of single use plastics that we're relying upon in our daily lives. And usually that too just means a small, some small tweaks in various areas of life to identify where am I consuming the most plastics, Where am I utilizing these kind of single use conveniences that with one small shift really could make a big impact at least for my footprint. And again, love the examples that they're given here, which apply to most of us. We're talking about the plastic bags, and so a simple switch to taking your own bags with you to the grocery store and not relying upon the plastic bags that are just given and then who knows what to do with all of them afterwards. This is talking about eliminating those plastic bottle use. Just take your own reusable water bottle everywhere you go. If you're afraid of running out of water, get a bigger water bottle, or take two medium sized water bottles or three small water bottles. You get the point. And also considering those utensils. Another really common one is you know, get getting the plastic utensils wherever you're going. Usually it's your fast food restaurants, but yeah, plenty of places just use utilizing plastic utensils.
Speaker 4: I it sounds.
Speaker 3: Crazy, but I will carry you around like I will have my own utensils in my vehicle that I can reuse, so I don't need if I am happening to find myself in a drive through or getting takeout, I don't need to take the plastic utensils from them. So keeping these types of things in mind, keeping your car stocked so you're prepared so there's less opportunity for going for that convenience one time use plastics, and then just these other shifts. Again, I would say, we're not in perfect action, So don't focus on the things that only you're intersecting with like once a month. We want to look at how like the things you're using more regularly. Are there single use plastic items that you're using every single day?
Speaker 4: Start there.
Speaker 3: We want to look for like the high impact items not necessarily like the one time low impact this only happened.
Speaker 4: I hope it happens once a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the next one for me, I'm going to skip down to six and I'm just gonna say it again because it's on the list, so I can opt for used items. So the amount of waste finding its way into landfills is a growing problem. And spoiler alert, you pay for landfills, so you may know. There are some communities that do make you pay for waste removal, which I love. Even if you are living in a community where that's just standard, you don't have the option to pay or no pay, you still you pay for it. And as the need for landfills increases, that cost will go up and you you will pay for it, your children will pay for it, your gran your grandchildren will pay for it. So we really need to be opting for used items when it is possible. The average American produces about one thousand, seven hundred and four pounds of garbage every year, which is three times the global affrige. It is insane, so we need to start reducing our waste. Reduce, reduce, refuse, but also opting for use and so yes, to buy a through store that costs a little bit of money, which goes against the title of the article. But there are ways to get used things for free too. Obviously we talk about buy nothing groups a lot, but if you are not on Facebook or don't want to babysit the buy nothing group, just in your like look at your community and what are the things that you collectively own or individually own that you could collectively use. I think we've talked about our friend Joseph who has a.
Speaker 4: Pressure washer that he loves.
Speaker 1: He loves his pressure washer and he loves when people ask him to use it because he doesn't get.
Speaker 4: To use it. Yeah twice a year yea.
Speaker 1: So so think about stuff like that. Get together with your friends and talk about that kind of stuff. Things that you can borrow. You don't have to own something to utilize it. What are the things that I can lend? What are the things that I can borrow so that we can lower our consumption rate and lower our waste and hopefully peter out the need the growing need for land fitills.
Speaker 3: Yes, number eight, I'm going to go with this even though we're talking about no cost, but we all do spend money. So rehighlighting this idea of spending with purpose, being a conscious consumer, making sure that the money we do spend has been thought about as intentional. Is going to keep things out of the landfill rather than add to it. That again also just helps our wallet. But I also like how they are advocating for some of these new credit cards that are popping up on the market that are focused on funding causes. They reference that there's this aspiration zero cars.
Speaker 1: These are debit cards. They're not even credit cards. So if you don't want a credit card, these are debits.
Speaker 3: It plants a tree for every single purchase you make, which seems insane.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: There's your no cost if you're just already spending money, and then this is just like no cost to you to actually be doing good with your purchases, and the card gives you one percent cash back for your purchases.
Speaker 4: We're not there's no sponsorship here. I'm just breading this art out.
Speaker 1: I might have a credit card too, but they also have a debit card that does pretty much the same thing.
Speaker 3: That's a really cool additional way of spending with purpose, not just conscious consumerism, but figuring out how my spending can go further in utilizing resources like these debit and credit cards that are also on team sustainability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this Climate First Bank, I'm going to pig you back. My third is also going to be number eight because I love this Climate First Bank, which is another eco driven debit card that recently announced a one of a kind regeneration checking account which for every qualifying regeneration account open Climate First makes a one hundred dollars donation to Project Regeneration Regeneration. So it's a nonprofit focused on ending the climate crisis. So there are a ton of ways where you can go further. I really believe that credit unions, using credit unions for most of your banking really reinvests in the community that in itself is sustainable. Not everything has like not all sustainability has to do with with the climate, but it can also be you know, sustainability and keeping money local. But these banks also are very climate driven, and there's all kinds of ESG funds coming in, you know, to your IRA or your four oh one K. There are definitely ways to not spend extra, but spend money you were already going to spend, whether that's you know, on regular stuff or investments, whatever they can have like an added you can go a little bit further.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 3: That automating generosity too, it could be awesome. They also reference ways to be engaged in advocacy efforts and volunteerism. So these are obviously free ways, but then they also become activities and they get us involved in the community and meeting other like minded people. So there's so much that can be done here that doesn't involve us spending more money just to become more eco friendly and sustainable, Like most of the efforts are not spending money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've said this from day one. You cannot buy your way to green, and many climate activists will say the same thing. You cannot buy your way to green. It's a marketing tool. So and when you know that, then you can take this more radical middle approach of not having to be perfect but just desiring to be better.
Speaker 3: Do you know what else can't be purchased, but is just get better and better, always automatically organically.
Speaker 1: I would never say do better, but it's always becoming better.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 6: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe your car died, and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore.
Speaker 2: That bills bffalo bills, Bill Clion.
Speaker 6: This is the bill of the week.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jen and Jill.
Speaker 5: My bill of the week was my phone bill. I messaged our carrier, our data carrier, about getting a lower rate because they were advertising a lower rate to new customers and we've been with them for almost nine years. So I negotiated with them and got twenty dollars off every month as a loyalty discount. So now we're gonna be saving two hundred and forty dollars every year just by negotiating and talking with them. So yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Nice. I love this.
Speaker 3: I love these examples of a simple phone call negotiation station and getting a lower monthly payment. This we're not talking a one time discount, which I'm also here for those aren't great, But when we can reduce monthly expenses because you made one phone call, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Kyla, Well done.
Speaker 1: Yes, congratulations, Kayla. The phone bill. We found phone and internet if you have complete competing internet providers, but always the phone bill easiest one to lower honestly easiest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, gosh, give them a call or switch providers. I mean there's enough providers.
Speaker 4: Kyla did it? So can you?
Speaker 3: Oh well, if you all are listening and you also lowered a bill regularly, or you got to discount one time on something, or you know anything else just vaguely related to being bill, visit Frugal friendspodcast dot com, slash bill, leave us your bill be a bill, all about them bills.
Speaker 4: And now it's time for.
Speaker 1: The lightning around all right, So we know you guys love hacks. So today's question, what is your favorite free, eco friendly hack? Jill, I love yours? Can you go first?
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's a hack. I mean there's a lot of pressure that goes along with the word a hack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I love.
Speaker 3: Composting, you do, look honestly, I guess now that I say it, it does feel like a hack. And the more that I've gotten into composting, it feels like a hack to reducing waste because I am getting rid of stuff I'm consuming and like throwing away, but instead of throwing it into the trash that goes to the landfill, I am throwing it into a compost bin that gets turned into gold gardener's goal that helps my veggies.
Speaker 1: Thus saving money on taxes and landfills in the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and saving money on needing to buy like the expensive soil that's full of all the nutrients. I'm making it myself. And the deeper I've gotten into the world deeper composting he is in deep.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I'm not that deep.
Speaker 3: Like, don't don't try and like dm me with like the dark web of composting, because I'm.
Speaker 4: Not there yet.
Speaker 3: I'm just like I'm I'm at one o two dirt web. There's one oh one and I'm at one o two. But I'm learning how much can be composted. I think before I did this, I had no clue. And now it's dryer linn, it's some cardboard, it's certain types of paper products, it's my coffee filters.
Speaker 4: Like ev so much.
Speaker 3: And so I am now at the point where I confuse my guests because my recycling bin is larger than my trash can. I literally have one of those very tiny like goes in the bathroom types of trash cans for all of my trash. She does, which I then had to label because all of my guests was throwing things out into the recycling bin. I'm like, ashduse identify that soon enough for people, and they're like, this is weird. I'm like, I'm on a low waste journey and they like, learn more about me than they bargained for. But I'm able to do that because I compost and again I'm getting rid of stuff. It just is in like the best way where it rots and it turns into great material.
Speaker 4: It feels like a hack. I love it.
Speaker 1: I do love composting. We are not composting right now, but it is such a satisfying feeling to turn garbage into dirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I also love the ritual of walking out to my compost bin. Like I don't love it if it's like ten pm and my compost bin is full and it's raining outside. But most days, when I take my compost bin from the kitchen and I dump it into you know, my like actual actual compost bin outside, it's a really nice ritual. It draws me out to my garden regularly, and that's great.
Speaker 4: It's great for the soul. That's beautiful. Thanks Shin.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 4: What's your hack hack.
Speaker 1: So I have gotten away from Facebook, but I do I can still go to Facebook Marketplace, and so there are people that will post things for free on Facebook Marketplace, and so that is the hack that we have been using most recently. I don't have to babysit it. I can maybe get a notification if it's something I need. Honestly, I'm not the one doing it. It's mostly Travis. He's the one that does it. But I do love some of the stuff that we have been able to acquire, some of the needs we've been able to meet for free because of Facebook Marketplace, and not a lot of people are there for the free part of it, so it feels like a hack. So yeah, that is that's mine right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've done so well. You were just we love when when I visit Gen's house, I get updates on her renovation progress, and when she visits my house she indors my updates. And You've always got something really great that coincides with your aesthetic. I think sometimes there can be this idea that if I'm getting it for free for my home, then my home is just going to be this hodgepodge of items that are kind of dented and bruised and broken and nothing matches. But reality is people are giving away, they're gently used, very beautiful items for a variety of reasons, and you can benefit from that. Like your your things are not a hodgepodge. They all and that comes with you know, the practice and curating and being patient and keeping an eye out. But you've found some really great stuff that has reduced the cost of your innovations and has reduced ways. Well that was that was That was one of the faves for a reason.
Speaker 1: I still love the five rs, the refuse, reduce, reuse, rot, recycle. I still think about that and try to The refuse gets me, like when somebody offers me something for free. It still gets me. But I am getting better at politely declining. Travis still has a long way to go to politely decline.
Speaker 3: But I've actually gotten I'm so ingrained to refuse that. Recently, somebody offered me a lanyard and a luggage tag and no, it was just the luggage tag actually, and I at first was like, no, no, thank you. I know what my luggage looks like. I don't need that. And then I remembered as they were walking away that you and I have key cards for our new office space that I've been wanting to put onto a lanyard, and I realized that would actually be perfect. I could put it into this luggage tag and that could kind of be my thing that I can then.
Speaker 4: Put on like a ribbon or a rope or something like that.
Speaker 3: So I called her back, like, actually, I will take that luggage tag because I realized I actually had a use for it, so I was able to get it for free.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. My key card is on a lanyard that I'm reusing from a cruise that I took last year, so I also get to think about that cruise whenever, like I see the lanyard, So it's really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see what you already have. That's the reuse.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And we're doing the challenge in the monthly Money membership right now. Is the second hand challenge. And what I love you made the challenge, and what I love is that it doesn't just talk about secondhand, because we can create as much clutter with secondhand as we do with first hand buying. But the first couple parts of the challenge are this kind of like refuse and reduce ideology, so I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a fun challenge to create, and as with all of the content that we're creating, I learned so much along the way, how helpful AI can be and finding various resources. So definitely that's something to get in on. So if you want access to that monthly challenge, go to Frugal Friends podcast dot com. Yes, well, thank you all so much for being here for listening. We love reading your kind reviews, both about the podcast and about our book that we wrote by what you Love without Going Broke. This review is for our book comes from Sherry A five stars, says a modern take on wealth building. I've been following Jen and Jill for over two years and love their model approach to finances. What if your financial decisions were guided by your values? What if you stop to use those values when you had the urge to impulse spend. That's what was different for me when I read their new book. It brought my personal life and personality to the topic of my finances and wealth building strategies in a new way. Made me stop and really search my soul for why it spent my hard earned money on purchases that would only give me a nanosecond of thrill and happiness. I crafted a new why followed their how to set up long term plan for wealth building, not just short term feel good stuff. Highly recommend this book and Jen and Jill's amazing podcast for Good Friends. Change your approach, change your net or thank you Sherry A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Sherry for listening and reading the book. If you listening enjoyed this episode, please leave a rating and review on Spotify. We would appreciate that so much, or on YouTube leave a comment under the video and if you read the book, would appreciate if you left a rating and review on Amazon. Even when I know, I know, when I go to get a book from the library, I go straight to Amazon to see the reviews to see if it's worth my time getting it. So even if you didn't buy it on Amazon, if you got from the library, please leave a rating and review. It helps us spread this message farther and wider.
Speaker 4: Thanks everyone, see you next time. Bye.
Speaker 1: Google Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 3: So yesterday I did a good thing and the semi semi bad thing.
Speaker 4: Tell me about it.
Speaker 3: So I have a bag of clothing from both Eric and I. One day we both felt the urge to clean out our closets, and so I had a trash bag full of clothing, which is shocking because we our closets are not large.
Speaker 4: We have pretty minimal amount of clothing. But still we were able to fill a trash bag.
Speaker 3: And I have been thinking that I'm going to try and post these clothes on like thread up or Poshmark, but I just can't seem to find the time. And I also feel a bit of a barrier too. Okay, if I sell this thing for five bucks, then I'm going to have to put it in packaging. Then I'm going to have to take it to the USPS. And I still might end up doing that, but I thought, you know what, I'm tired of this bag sitting in my car. I'm going to take it to Plato's closet see if I can get any money for it.
Speaker 4: So they did take seven.
Speaker 3: Items, which is actually more than I've had them take in the past. I swear they've got a policy that they can't take more than a couple of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Probably, but we got paid.
Speaker 3: I got paid like twenty one dollars in change, which was great, but I still walked away with a trash bag full of clothes, and I'm like, I wonder if somebody else would give me some money for this too. So on my way home, I stopped at another clothing exchange place near US called Revolve, and took the bag in there as well.
Speaker 4: They took two things.
Speaker 3: They were only going to offer me three dollars cash or seven dollars credit. And at first I'm like, I'm just taking the cash. I'm not shopping. I'm not falling victim to that. So like the good thing that I did was at Plato's closet, I just took the cash, I walked out. I didn't even shop there, went across the street to Publics and got the groceries that I needed.
Speaker 4: But then I go to Revolve and.
Speaker 3: I'm shopping around, shopping around, They're taking forever, and turns out I try on some shorts. Now, granted I do need Geene shorts. My ones from last.
Speaker 4: Year don't fit me anymore. Don't talk about it.
Speaker 3: No, I've been one of those glutes girly yeah, so my pants so anymore.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing.
Speaker 3: It's part of why, it's part of why I have got a clothing It's.
Speaker 4: A good thing.
Speaker 1: You've been working those glutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess so I didn't. This is like a thing I didn't think about. It's like you're.
Speaker 1: Getting your peach footy, you're getting it working working for it.
Speaker 3: So I do need new shorts. And they did find a pair of shorts that like actually fit me, look real decent, and I'm like, you know what, No, I'm just going to take the cash. But then I had the thought, hold on a second, if they're going to offer me so that the pants were eight bucks, they were going to offer me seven dollars store credit. I'm like, when could I ever really walk away with a pair of shorts that fit me I feel good in for a dollar? Like, I might as well do that, like take the trade and give them a dollar from my wallet. So that's what I decided, even though I did have the resolve going in that I'm only taking cash, I'm not buying new clothing.
Speaker 1: Funny enough, these jeans that I am currently wearing are from Revolve.
Speaker 4: Oh no way, Yeah, I love Revolve.
Speaker 1: I love these uh like not consignment, but they're like local, kind of like Plato's closets.
Speaker 4: We have a ton of them in the area. They're so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll give you money for your stuff, not you know, not what you paid for it, but still it's something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so semi successful. I think you were.
Speaker 1: How you look at it, I like, I'm in support.
Speaker 4: I gave myself permission to change my mind.