Speaker 1: So, but Brian, do you do you recommend Flight Risk? I mean, it's funny just you showing me that clip. I'm kind of want to know more, but I also feel like I saw the best part, like you just know.
Speaker 2: No, there's there's more.
Speaker 3: But the thing about Flight Risk is it's a lean ninety and it's so stupid.
Speaker 2: That it wies by pardon like twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anything where I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: It is hour thirty, Okay, I can do this, Like I rarely shut off a ninety minute movie.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, That's why I like I watched like Hallmark Christmas movie because they're like an hour and fifteen, but.
Speaker 3: It's too short and it's too dumb to be like too offended by it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I did not know that it was a screwball con like I guess I kind of had the sense that it was a slapstick comedy from his hair falling off, but like the way way trailers pitched, it was, yeah, that it was just a thing like that, that it was a thriller and it's not straight up a dude just style violence comedy.
Speaker 2: I did not think there would be a titty twister.
Speaker 3: The titty Twister killed them, Like, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Of our lord whatever world we are in now that we're doing? All right, titty twister.
Speaker 4: As he reveals that he doesn't get paid to be a hit man, he just does it for free, for the free opportunity to give people titty twisters.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering if that line was I can't tell if that was improved.
Speaker 3: I can't tell if the tns twister line was improved.
Speaker 2: Twister in the script, because it's hard for me to imagine that being in a script. It's so stupid. All right, ye, sitty twister.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't see it come during the UH during the Flight Risk Best Original Screenplay montage, Like they didn't show that part, so it was hard.
Speaker 2: I can't picture that table read at all.
Speaker 4: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this Monday morning week trend edition of Daily Yes Yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Da or da da da.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we are I don't know if you saw there's thing at the Kremlin news like now that Russia and the United States foreign policy goals have aligned, and I'm like, wow, what a way to put that? Yeah, okay, anyway.
Speaker 4: Just gravitationally, it just happened as a matter of course, there is nothing offward or pushy happening. Yeah, sometimes weird you know, no weird jerking of the steering wheel to one side that doesn't really make sense for any reason that anybody can tell.
Speaker 1: I think it's like, yeah, Republicans will be like, well, you know, broken clocks right twice a day. That's kind of the overlap you're seeing versus now. It's like, no, the watch is said to the exact same time, like at the everything it's the witch actually the same.
Speaker 2: It's they're not broken.
Speaker 4: They actually don't need watches because he just tells us what time it is. You just call him and he tells.
Speaker 1: Like metaphorically, he's like, oh, what's up home, you know what time it is? Like Vladimir I do.
Speaker 2: Putin does say that all the time. What's up, homie? You know, you know what time it is? Jack that over there is Miles.
Speaker 4: And this is the episode where we tell you all the things that we're trending from Friday through Monday morning.
Speaker 2: But first we like to get to know you a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Let you get to know us a little bit better by telling you stuff we think is underrated, stuff we think is overrated. We like to ask our guests throughout the week what they think is underrated overrated?
Speaker 2: This is where we get a chance saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and you know what, I'm just going to go through all the overrated and underrated from our guests from the past week and talk about why they're wrong. Now, Miles, what is something you think is under rated?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man?
Speaker 1: Couple things first. One pretty obviously, but not price gouging. Huh pretty, I think a pretty solid business model or just you know, for if we live like in a time where everyone's like, what a consumer goodwill?
Speaker 2: What do we have consumer confidence? Yeah? Stop just fucking over charging people. I say this because I went to this Japanese market in La I bought a dozen organic eggs. You know how much? I got a dozen organic eggs for at least.
Speaker 1: Forty five dollars five ninety nine What five dollars ninety nine cents is what I walked out of this Japanese mark.
Speaker 2: Weird because you're telling.
Speaker 4: The story like it just happened and not like it happened in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I when I.
Speaker 1: Were twelve years old, when I was no, I couldn't. I thought I was fucking stealing something. When I saw that, I was like, no.
Speaker 2: Bro, did they did?
Speaker 1: They fucking fuck up their handwriting? And then I asked one of the people, I said, it's five ninety nine. They're like, yeah, just just you can only take pick up the hand.
Speaker 2: I put it.
Speaker 1: I was so fucked up, like you know, like you're just so conditioned as a consumed like yeah, they're fucking me again that you see it, and then you're like, I'm not being fucked or I'm being fucked gently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. So anyway, that was such a thing.
Speaker 1: And then like I told everybody's like, yo, you need to get down to the Nigia market over here. I saw tell bro they got a fucking they got the ships for five ninety nine. So that was fantastic. The other thing I'll say underrated a petty knife. Petty knife is a small sort of like a small knife you'd use, much smaller than like your kitchen knife. Yeah, it's like a pairing knife basically, it's like a utility knife. But it so I recently, my cousin got back from Japan and you know, my house.
Speaker 2: Burned down, so I lost I lost all my knives.
Speaker 1: And I had a couple of Japanese concept I was very like, very connected to. He like replaced all my knives for me. It was very very sweet, and but I got like a new petty knife. This shit is so fucking sharp that I'm like using I'm like using it more than like my traditional kitchen knife because it just you get such control with it. I'm peeling fucking fruit for the geist child, I'm peeling for everything. I'm cutting cheese, I'm deboning fucking chicken. Anyway, it's very nice. I think all that to say, it's probably just a sharp ass knife really is the best thing.
Speaker 2: But a petty knife is great because it's easy to control.
Speaker 1: Small sharp, small sharp, best cheese knife you could use.
Speaker 2: It's just so fucking solid.
Speaker 1: So you know, I just want to say, people at the very least are we talking on that blade like finger were talking like four and like five inches five inches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like a fox cut or no, no, no no, but it's enough that it's like if someone said, hey, I'm gonna chop this like cabbage up you like with this fucking tiny thing, Like.
Speaker 1: No, but if you're like, hey, I'm gonna slice a tomato or whatever, cut stuff up smaller, perfect, perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it.
Speaker 4: I'm just picturing John Boyce's character from Anaconda coming in and be like, I'll cut you up real nice.
Speaker 2: They don't buy.
Speaker 4: And I can do that machine because he's doing Yeah it's John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're doing a white guy doing doing. We don't even know that. Yeah, yeah, exactly, I can do Radagan. We have these specific white people that act as conduits to do a problematic without being problematic. That's right, all right?
Speaker 4: Uh, my underrated is wind?
Speaker 2: Just by me.
Speaker 4: I've never once h checked the weather report for wind. Uh, and then it just uh well, first of all, did just burn down entire chunks of Los Angeles earlier this year. I don't know if you heard about that, Miles Wins while you were out for some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know what you were up to, bros. Missed the crazy news story.
Speaker 4: But and then even then, like people had a hard time blaming the wind, like Henry Winkler and Whitney Cummings had to make up an arsonist god the wind.
Speaker 2: I just think I was Whitney Cummings anyway, but God, damn Phonsie. Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for you. I know, we're all for you, Phonsie. Hopefully he comes back. Hopefully he's like, sorry, guys, that got away.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what millions do to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like, you know, he's with a bunch of people in the Palisades probably who lost their you know, five million dollar homes and is uh they have theories.
Speaker 1: I lost my only home in the Palisades. I have five in the state, but Palisades home is my own.
Speaker 2: I lost my Palisades home. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's like but I think I suffer from the same thing where wind is just hard for me to plan for. I'm just like never expecting it. I'm never checking for it. Suddenly the air is like twenty degrees colder than I was expecting it to be. My kids are shivering, my hat is flying away.
Speaker 1: Your two pay is blowing off like it always blows away, which is kind of fun. Yeah, I do like the comedic yeah, facing after.
Speaker 2: It down the street.
Speaker 4: Also, I'm gonna say, I don't know, I'm assuming it's hard to add like fake wind in a movie. Maybe not, but like I feel like it should be used more often. It's a great atmospheric Like movies love to use the rain to set a mood. But like there's this movie Volvaire that I think is the one that Penelope Cruise won an oscar for.
Speaker 2: But it like takes place in a a.
Speaker 4: Constantly windy town and it like just has these like poetic meditations on like the wind, like legends that like the wind drives you mad when you live there, and there's just this like constant sound and movement and it's just like a constant ghost howling down the streets of your town. Yeah and then uh and yeah, then it just starts. It causes things to just start flying around that never flew around before. It's like someone just comes along and shakes your city like a snow globe, and then you get to like pick everything up. Earthquake last night, Yeah, oh yeah, speaking of getting shook in like a fucking snow globe.
Speaker 2: There's just like one big shake. It was like it dropped. It was one of those droppers where yeah, yeah, and then a little Rocky the at the center North Hollywood, California, Baby yeah, coming for you. Man. It's I know, part of me was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 4: Leave me alone, me alone, mileshows what you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Overrated.
Speaker 1: This ties into the Oscars, but the old way of presenting like awards, traditional awards show presentation, like when presenters.
Speaker 2: Go up to give out the award.
Speaker 1: This is like one thing that I really liked about the Oscars was the way they like personalized the presenters connections to the nominees.
Speaker 2: Was like oh yeah with Robert Downey Junior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just like even when like the costume when it was time for costume design, each person that was in the film sort of like was giving their flowers to the person that like design the costumes or like other people just giving it up to like other direct you know, like it was just it felt like so much better than just sort of like the art of editing is known as a block and like there still was some of that, but to have like then sort of couple that with people saying like I was so great to work with you, like your dedication, it just gives it a nice personal touch that it feels almost like oh shit, like yeah, cool, you're It's nice to see other people acknowledge their contribution even before an award is given. I think that was just a very nice touch to it because it it almost came off genuine and I am off like their people, celebrities, their people too. Yeah, So I was like, okay, cool, this made it a little more interesting because like you're just kind of you kind of.
Speaker 2: Build the skill of.
Speaker 1: Tuning out like this sort of kind of like very dry boiler plate kind of like and now.
Speaker 2: To give the award, here are the nominees.
Speaker 1: Part you're just kind of like you just basically black out until they open the envelope to announce it, right, Whereas this one gave you a little bit more of a reason to listen.
Speaker 2: So I thought, you know what, that's good, nice touch. I'll give you that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the ones that weren't that I felt like, yeah by comparison because like I can't read the prompter.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, like it was great one.
Speaker 1: It's like and now Andrew Garfield will go up to like just give his flowers to a sort of confused Goldie Hawn, who wasn't sure that this was like her.
Speaker 2: Moment she was. She was like being so humble. She was like, oh, thank you, honey, Well let's keep this movie.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, I have more yeah, yeah, And she was like oh okay again, Like I felt like that was the overall theme that was like emphasizing the humanity of people, like, hey were people.
Speaker 4: You know, my mom loved you, she was you were part of her. My mom was really into you because you know old and anyways, I know, you love hearing stuff like that.
Speaker 1: The whole Goldie Han thing made me think about how like I used to just watch like all these like retrospective TV shows, Like I remember I knew Goldiehans and movies, and then I, like, as a twelve year old, found out about Laughing and like she had this whole comedic career and she's like held up as like a great comedic performer that I was just like, I don't know. I mean, I know he from like Bird on a Wire like whatever movie she was in in the eighties like stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then what was the thing Nixon said on Laughing?
Speaker 1: Like I was just trying to remember, Like I was like, there, I know, there's a famous like Nixon line in Laughing where they had Nixon as a guest on Laughing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, like Lauren michael Y sock it to me, That's what it was. Sock it to me. And again this is a product of me watching like weird VH.
Speaker 1: One shows that it then made me think, are younger people gonna give a fuck about like shit that we remember from the nineties and eighties the way somehow I'm like, yeah, laughing, remember that Nixon moment from laughing in the sixties seven?
Speaker 4: Right, I don't feel like I knew that laughing existed for most of my life, Like I was not watching the retrospectives. I did not know that Goldie Hawn was like, uh, you know, a young ingenue on this like basically it was like another SNL SNL competitor that she was like the star of the breakout star of and then like went and started to be in movies and immediately like got nominated or won an oscar with them like a couple of years and couple of movie rules. But yeah, I'm actually reading this Lorne Michael's biography, and it's like interested like talked about that that early stuff and those early tons and a lot of the shit is not that funny in the early days, but comes around. I'm assuming, all right, sticking with the oscars, my overrated I would say is like, all right, did.
Speaker 2: You watch Kieran Culkin's acceptance speech.
Speaker 1: I was in the room when it happened, and then I just wasn't interested in what he was saying. So I know you had mentioned something earlier, and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think, like I find him charming, like you, he's like you want to love him and hate him, like it's the whole thing with his character on succession. But then like he hates himself already, so he's sort of just being like, ah, well, he took care of that part, so I just like him, like okay. So he got up, gave a speech, and then like at the end, was like, all right, so there's my wife, jazz uh and like I told her, if I want an Emmy, she would give me a third baby, and I want an Emmy and she was like, no, I'm not going to do that, but if you went an Oscar, I'll give you a fourth. And he was like, well, now I want an Oscar, so let's let's get to fucking essentially.
Speaker 2: And I I get that.
Speaker 4: It was like tongue in cheek and he may not be expecting her to have a baby, but the people who meet her for the first time for the next ten years of her life. Are sure going to be asking about it?
Speaker 2: It just you know what, maybe guys on you owe him? Right?
Speaker 4: Just a weird And it also just felt like a weird like tread wife as child bearing reward figure. Yeah sure for like man doing good job at work paradigm. It just felt felt a little like, I don't know, a handmaid's tail style birthing contract and not that like that's the energy he was giving and people like people seem to be like this was one of the highlights. It was like such a cute human moment. But I just don't felt it.
Speaker 2: Even as like a joke to be like you owe me, you owe me a child me? What do you what do you like? King Richard? What the fuck is this ship? Like you owe me? Where are my heirs? And I get maybe being like but he doesn't mean it, so it's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Okay, it's kind of like the same way like the Office was getting away with like racist jokes by being well, he's dumb, so it's like, wow, that bad. Okay, we're making we're laughing at it. But as people gain a little more perspective.
Speaker 2: Like it's like the funniest fucking thing.
Speaker 1: But whatever, you know, I hope, I hope he has a contract. This is why you can't just be out here making fucking agreements based on how many awards you win.
Speaker 4: You should your serious contract with your significant other.
Speaker 2: I've saying that from day one.
Speaker 4: Exactly under penalty of death. After watching some of those Stephen Crowder household ring videos, I realized that you need, yeah, shit locked up.
Speaker 2: That's where it's It's like you're flying too.
Speaker 1: Close to gross real shit, I think is the thing, right? But whatever, I mean, Well, it's funny because, as you said that, the thing I was focused on the whole time was Jeremy Strong because.
Speaker 2: He didn't this motherfucker's probably dying inside.
Speaker 1: And I remember, right after they cut away from Kieran Colkin leaving the stage, they showed Jeremy Strong.
Speaker 2: And it was funny. My dad was was over too.
Speaker 1: We were watching and we both went, oh.
Speaker 2: You're not happy, and then her Magsy's like, what we're like, yo.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Strong looked fucking upset, and I rewound it and ro like, he just looks like he's like looking off. I'm like, no, no, you can see the hurt in his eyes. He looked he is still processing that loss. But I think that just me projecting more shit onto Jeremy Strong than I probably should have.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's also the songwriter who has been nominale It did like so many times, Diane Warren. I think, is that that's not her name? Diane Warren?
Speaker 2: Is it okay? Yeah?
Speaker 4: She she had a tough like accepting that she lost face.
Speaker 2: Experience that got you gotta feel for him. It's tough gig. Just like.
Speaker 4: You can kind of like no, no, like overt like what the fuck face, but like just you can kind of see the blood drained from her face a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he shout out to her. She's from the valley. There you go.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll we'll talk about that uh Trump Zelensky meeting, the that that happened the end of last week, right after we recorded our last episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: And we're back. We're we're back, So I mean, yeah, Tru Trump Zolensky, jd Vance the Vance.
Speaker 1: Dance, Marjorie Taylor Green's boyfriend, Marjorie Taylor Green's boyfriend all ganged up on, you know, wartime president Voldemir Zelenski.
Speaker 2: Is that how you pronounce this vl? You about to say voldemorre Voldemort Zelensky.
Speaker 4: But basically it was, you know, Zelensky came in the press was set up and it felt like it was it was a setup, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: They Trump and Vance were just like waiting for him to say anything that they could just jump on. Zelenski obviously was pushing back on their narrative that like the whole war was his fault and uh that Russia was good and can be trusted.
Speaker 1: They hold on, they invaded, They Russia invaded Ukraine.
Speaker 4: You sound like you should be more grateful, is what we're hearing.
Speaker 1: I feel like a Henley in here full like but you wear in like a suit.
Speaker 2: Bruh, what's uh? You look really like district Like fuck it.
Speaker 4: They really like Trump did mention at the beginning. They like were nagging him from the beginning. They're like, thank you for getting dressed up for the occasion.
Speaker 2: Moving along, but I think he's dressed beautifully.
Speaker 4: You look like shit, No, no, you're great. It's great, You're beautiful. But the other comment like kind of dashed off comment at the end was where he was like closing the thing and he was like, I I'm assuming this was really good television, which I think is just like that is his instinct, like anybody who's like he's got a great instinct for like deal making and negotiating, and you know, I don't think so. I think his instinct is for reality television. It's and like creating moments that are going to make for good TV that he would want to watch to.
Speaker 2: Get a little youth to active you some ute vernacular, some gen z verneki. He is a master of crashing out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He is that master of the crash out to make very entertaining like public crashouts.
Speaker 2: That's what and that because that's what that was to see this.
Speaker 1: Weird like the bully and then the Bully's weird little friend who JD.
Speaker 2: Vance was like, yeah, get them, get them, get them, get.
Speaker 1: Them Donald like that weird dynamic, and Zelynsky's in there basically being like, so I'm fighting off an invading army. You motherfuckers said you were gonna give me security assurances. Now you're trying to get me to sign some fucking weird ass minerals deal with no security security.
Speaker 2: No fucking security assurances. What the fuck do what do I look like signing this ship right now? And what who the fuck do you think you guys are thinking you can put this shit in front of me and think I'm like, oh my god, I love it, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: They're like fighting for their fucking existence and this is what's happening.
Speaker 2: I can't. Like. It was very It was so hard to watch because you're like, holy, just like the America completely becoming like this other thing now just before everyone's eyes, trying to be like you better watch out. Like when it got to the boys, like you got to know your you don't have a good hand, you don't have good cards. You got to know your hand you've got. I'm not playing a game, motherfucker. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: He's like, you know what you get your you're risking World War three and you're risky world War three. Like he just kept escalating rhetorically again because he just wants to have It's just became this scene this like circus on yeah yeah, and it's just the whole thing was just very, very difficult to watch. And then the internet with like you know, the Speed of Light just started making all these fucking memes. You see the ones where they were playing like stratigo or like whatever.
Speaker 2: That other or whatever just by a door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just like ha ha ha, but no, it is is kind of what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, like for all the like Trump supposedly being a populist, the popular opinion of Putin is pretty fucking unfavorable.
Speaker 2: Like that that.
Speaker 4: Seems to be one place where the real comfortable stepping out of line with like popular opinion. Ninety percent of Americans at least in twenty twenty three thought he was extremely untrustworthy. Specifically, there's like a pull that says that and I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's not like this is coming from some popular grounds well as with like all of his policies. Uh, it's coming from somewhere else, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's coming from Vladimir fucking Putin, dude.
Speaker 1: Like it's so obvious that at this point it's like the fucking news really needs to fucking wake the fuck up, and this is crazy.
Speaker 4: That was the other like big takeaway is they were like, uh, you know, Zelenski lost his cool and like that he really fucked himself there and not yeah, just being what and like, I also saw people being like and obviously Trump is doing this because he thinks that Russia will be a good ally against China and like making kind of what rationalizations, Yeah, making rationalizations that don't really make sense for his behavior.
Speaker 2: Well, they try and do the thing.
Speaker 1: Rather than like be a little bit giving people context about how this completely goes against the order of things or whatever, they try and do this thing where it's like trying to understand where he's coming from with them, yes, even if it makes no fucking sense, and they don't even say, like, but that doesn't make any fucking sense because X, Y and Z they don't do that shit. They're just like this, I think this is what he's thinking to again pretend like they're doing journalism, but also just zero pushback in manufacturing consent. And again, this whole meeting was supposed to be around this fucking deal that was going to be made. The deal in this instance was Ukraine would allow for like five hundred billion dollars in rare earth metals to be extracted where they get like a measly cut of profits in exchange again for no fucking security assurances and not even a commitment to having a.
Speaker 2: Ceasefire, just none of that. It's like, give me that and you'll be okay.
Speaker 1: How and again, this deal, of course, was untenable for Zolenski because he wants fucking security assurances because he's fighting invading army, and the deal is so unrealistic for two really big points. A. Right, we haven't the five hundred billion thing it's supposed to be like to repay all the stuff we've given you. We haven't even given them close to five hundred billion worth of arms.
Speaker 4: Right, We're not even the biggest supporter of their military effort, like they're Western European countries that have supported them more.
Speaker 1: The fact is we just dusted off some old shit that we had, just old killing toys, and we say, oh yeah, y'all could have them. And that five hundred that amount that we say we're sending, No, that's for us to buy shiny, new fucking kill toys. That's not because here's the money. We're like, oh yeah, you could have that, You could have that. You know what I'm gonna replace. I'm gonna replace that Hi Mars system anyway with some news there's some new shit out. I really want that, So yeah, y'all could take that. That's how like this transaction is working. So it's not like they're on the hook for a half trillion dollars. Then would the rare earth metals part. We don't even know if there is enough rare earth metals in the ground in Ukraine that would even total five hundred billion dollars? Like that amount even baffles the commodities and geology expert community who know about like, they're like, what is he like, they're even from that perspective, what is he talking about? This is a write up from like a commodities newsletter. First of all, it says most estimates for twenty twenty four stand at four billion to twelve and a half billion globally in terms of sales of rare metals. The global market right at the low end is four at the high end twelve and a half. So it said it would therefore be astonishing for Ukraine to conjure up five hundred.
Speaker 2: Billion dollars under a bill.
Speaker 1: Then this other thing it is also this is again from the same article. It is also notable that even during the most recent rare earth metal price boom, which ran from late twenty twenty to March of twenty twenty two and saw exploration companies enthusiastically snap up and try to develop new supply sources around the world.
Speaker 2: No one made a play for Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Right, that's even predating the war, right, Like, there's just not it's just not something that's on the radar. So I think again, Trump goes on to be like, well, it's a great deal because his logic here is that all the American commercial mining companies that would be in Ukraine would act as a deterrent because Russia wouldn't dare attack and risk harming Americans in Ukraine and risking war. It's like, bro, they're not going to attack because they got what they wanted through this dumb fucking deal.
Speaker 2: It's not because of the presence of it.
Speaker 1: Like the America is not gonna do shit, So stop pretending that that's the position America is gonna take. And it just feels like terrible negotiating and like bad fascist improv Like clearly Trump was told by Putin just fucking makes it go away and make them weaker so I can take my depleted army back home, and like we can have some kind of a win here, and to achieve the alienation of Zelensky, Trump goes for this weird ass minerals deal that makes no sense and just ends up having the effect of strengthening European alliances because after that they're like, oh shit, yeah, you know, Zelensky went to the UK and Starmar's like, bro, we gotta We're gonna have to figure out how to do this shit without the crash out crew in DC. And Trump can't just announce okay bye by Ukraine because he needs the pretext, no matter how flimsy, to not look like a Russian asset. So his idea to create this pretext is just like this untenable deal, So then he can be like, well, I tried to help it, but he just wouldn't take the deal, so therefore I need it.
Speaker 2: Seems like they're like really just going along with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again, if like if the improv suggestion from Putin to Trump is this scene is about cut ties with Zelenski, then Trump just started the improv scene by saying, let me have sex.
Speaker 2: With all of your ghosts or else I never what the fuck? What huh?
Speaker 1: But yeah, like you say, Washington Post rip fully to that fucking place with these op eds they're putting out now, it's like absurd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just put out on op ed.
Speaker 4: Zelensky must mend the breach with Trump or resign from Mark A season, which I don't know. Is that like an anagram for Lindsay Graham or is that? But yeah, this should have been a backslapping, feel good meeting celebrating the minerals deal. Unfortunately it was a terrible deal for Zelensky, so he was not feeling good for some reason.
Speaker 1: Who was a nie slapper because it was so fucking absurd of a deal. Not a backslapper because we're gonna feel good. Yeah, just says go, Like the this whole like Mark Theeson I think is a bush.
Speaker 2: I think a speech writer or something. He's from the era. But like even him trying to act like this is good, it's just so disorienting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the billionaire capture of our media has just led to a fun toilet bowl ride down to hell for everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really wild as far as what people think, Like I mentioned, there's been pulling that suggests that you know, ninety percent of Americans for some reason find Vladimir Putin untrustworthy. I don't know what their deal is, must be hangover from the Cold War, just some other evidence that this is not a popular position. So right after this where JD. Vance was kind of the instigator. He was like the first person. But first of all, you should thank our president and wash his feet with your hair.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's his thing.
Speaker 4: He give him gold, gifts of gold, and you know he's not that into Franken CENSORR.
Speaker 2: But he was.
Speaker 4: He was so annoyed that, you know, Zelen Ski and you know, putting up big, big dick energy in the room. And then he Johnson off to a ski vacation with his family in Vermont, and it did not go well. Hundreds of protesters showed up to line the streets, some with some pretty devastating signage such as vance skis and jeans the worst thing you can do. I mean, I play pickup ball in jean shorts.
Speaker 2: But that's just me. I guess you're not supposed to ski in jeans. You want to show off your legs. I got to show off them them you just saying they look better and cutoffs.
Speaker 4: Exactly got to show off the thighs, baby, but they he even got hassled as he was skiing, as if it were some common visiting dignitary.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Heuh had to be moved to an undisclosed location. But one person really took him out but like almost ran into him on the slopes, and another one called him Putin's puppet on the mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so great.
Speaker 1: It looked like I've saw clips on Reddit of like just like the cluster fuck. It look like having just secret service and him skiing and like other people like what like hating this guy.
Speaker 2: It just felt like a fucking nightmare.
Speaker 1: But I just love how again, like Fox and Friends, the media comes to his defense.
Speaker 5: And they're like, bro, this should not be They should leave him alone, you know, they should just like he's with his family. Quote, I think his family should be off limits, says the lady from Real World from fucking forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Also, skiing vacations are where like billionaire power broker like clash with the blue collar ski workers and the like townies. That's what they taught us anything, This is exactly where this should be happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm surprised jd answers so like into that kind of media would know.
Speaker 2: It's like, the last place I need to go is a ski resort. They're gonna prank me.
Speaker 4: I mean, there were the strikes earlier this year. It's a hotbed of class tension. So yeah, shit, perfect place for him to go immediately after, you know, pissing off the American people with a wildly unpopular take.
Speaker 1: Well's always yeah, there's I always see these like sort of screen caps of like comment sections, and half seem real, the other half seemed like bots. But there are like definitely a group of confused boomer conservatives who are like, nah, I'm pretty sure I was raised to hate everything Russian from birth.
Speaker 2: Is what is this?
Speaker 1: And I don't understand what what we get out of it? It's like yeah, yeah, explain it, Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Also, there was a blind item that suggested that again you know, blind item, no way to corroborate this as of yet, similar to the couch fucking it just fits, you know, just fits his personality, his energy always what he tried to a chairlift, He tried to fuck it. No, somebody said I skied at sugar Bush in Vermont today. Guess who is here? None other than are Steven Vice president jd Vance, half of Central Vermont, was out in the streets protesting him. It was hilarious. The loser couldn't even get off the chairlift. He went around the bowl wheel and they had to shut it down so secret Service could get him off the chair. I'm not kidding, true story. Fucking Jerry of the Day. I don't even know what Jerry means.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's like a pejorative nickname for people who don't belong people, yeah, who.
Speaker 2: Aren't like real skiers, like they were jeans and ski. There's a very big Instagram account that just shows like ski fails like that. I think it's called Jerry of the Day.
Speaker 1: But honestly, misinformation about jd Vance is louds harmless misinforma ever. So yeah, he I think we need to add to that. It's because he tried to have sex with you.
Speaker 4: He was trying to fuck the chairlift as he was going up. It is very couch adjacent, you know, it's they call it a chairlift, but it's more like a metal couch.
Speaker 2: But yeah, three across, you know. Yeah, all right, let's let's take a quick break. We'll come back.
Speaker 4: We'll talk anything we missed on the oscars up top.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back and we're back. We're back.
Speaker 4: By the way, Brian was pointing us to a Reddit thread. Brian the Editor was pointing us to the reddit thread that this just seems anecdotally, it seems like this Zelensky stuff is unpopular. I mean it, like it's a good point that the Ukraine War effort, Ukrainian War effort was like extremely popular for probably like it goes with the grain of white supremacy in America. You know, it's like white people being like those people look just like me. Like that's so yeah, it's it'll be interesting to see how Trump supporters respond to this whole thing going going side with m Yeah, although it is what a lot a lot of the shit he does is like it is what the Democratic Party has been doing and just all American policy has been doing. He just does it like real, uh, openly and stupidly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, because I think there's most Americans are kind of diluted into thinking we're still trying to do good right, where like, bro, we're not trying to do that, bro, what we're talking about it And I mean not to say that like like get real everyone, it's been this bad forever. But like that's sort of like the difference is sort of not even trying to hide this self dealing.
Speaker 4: Not even trying to play politics in any in any way.
Speaker 2: Guys, just hide the self dealing a little bit, right, and we'll go along with anything, all right?
Speaker 4: Oscars watched them out of out of one eye while doing other stuff.
Speaker 2: But would you happen? Yeah, my eyes are fucked now just watching that Sixers win over the Warriors on loop. Oh my god, man.
Speaker 4: Just when I want they lost, like ten in a row, shut down and be for the year nine nine in a row shut down and b for the year.
Speaker 2: It's time.
Speaker 4: It's losing time, baby, It's time to lose the rest of our games and just you know, shut it down, try and get the best draft pick we can in the seventy. Six Ers, of course win, just when they need to start focusing on losing. Weird weird league fans who people who aren't fans of the NBA probably like, what are well adjusted you want your team?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Or well adjusted?
Speaker 1: I mean like I went to I went like I don't care about nothing, and now I'm like, yeah, bro, we're winning the fucking championship this year. Yeah, just fucking you like it. I don't care how many people get injured. No, we're not, but anyway I want to see. I did feel like a winner, though, because I famously only saw one movie that was in contention for awards, and guess what it was fucking Honora. So I felt like so in tune with the awards because I.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I thought that I didn't know The Brutalist was about brutalist architecture.
Speaker 2: He thought it was just about a guy who is mean.
Speaker 1: I just thought I didn't read a single word. I saw like an emaciated Adrian Brody. I said, I don't know what some sad Eastern European ship. I don't know what the fuck they're talking about. This is kind of where I went with it. But yeah, when was the last time a fucking guy what's the guys named Dave Foster?
Speaker 2: What's his name? Dave Sean Baker, Sean.
Speaker 1: Dave Foster, the fucking composer, the that because he went Best Screenplay, Editing Director, Best Picture. He he he sort of won four out of the five awards that they won that single handed, when not saying one of the.
Speaker 4: Four like big ones that he was nominated for. It's never really happened before Disney has won more Oscars in a single year.
Speaker 2: But that was like not it wasn't like.
Speaker 4: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best that just.
Speaker 1: Seems wild to get Screenplay, Editor, Director, Like on the individual merits, I was like, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: I mean they made a point of emphasizing this when they won. But like this movie had a budget of six million dollars, Like it was a pretty small like that's how you get somebody who's like doing all those things, I think largely, although I think I think Christopher Nolan also like does a lot of the shit. But yeah, yeah, sure, sure, yeah, Sodaberg, I think it is kind of like that. But had a budget of six million dollars. Four of the last five winners had like really low budgets. Nomadland, Coda, Everything everywhere all at once, now Anora. That's like eighty percent of the last five years best picture winners. You know, obviously Oppenheimer was a huge movie that destroyed last year's Oscars, But like, I don't know, we talked about this as like Hollywood.
Speaker 2: And like corporate thinking.
Speaker 4: Netflix COVID a lot of different things like kind of conspired to fuck up studio movies, and like we were like there's probably a new wave of like independent movies coming and that at least seems to be happening.
Speaker 2: If you look at like who's who's winning Best Picture.
Speaker 1: Well that's where like you'd hope the corporate thinking goes hold on, dude, like these like weird stories and I call them weird because they're not based on IP that we own, right, It's like.
Speaker 2: Weird little stories are coming up. People like those better. So I guess maybe we just do more of those. And they're cheaper, so maybe we just make a fuck ton of these. I don't Yeah, maybe not, I don't know.
Speaker 4: The only real IP movies that were like close to winning were obviously Dune, Wicked, and then Conclave, which optioned the the Pope Cinematic Universe Anymore did not win was expected to win. I think was like one of the biggest favorites heading in to the night like that category was basically seen as a as a.
Speaker 2: Lock damn that she looked a little crust fallen. Yeah when they showed after, like Mikey Madison had accepted also from the Valley. Shoutowt Mikey Madison, shout out the Valley. The Valley is just yeah.
Speaker 1: We're just the people on the fucking fringe brow. We're not the fucking West Side, but guess what we're out here. I remember that her Majesty was like, is that her boyfriend?
Speaker 2: I was like, no, that's shit. They look related.
Speaker 1: And then when she got her the redhead, she was with, yeah, and she's like my twin brother, Miles.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, they're related.
Speaker 4: There you go. Yeah, that was cute. She has a twin brother. She's like, you're my best friend, not the US A choice.
Speaker 2: That acceptance speech, like was really interesting. I've only know Mikey Madison through her performances.
Speaker 1: To see how different obviously, I'm like, she wasn't even on noor when she went up there, but like.
Speaker 2: You got a real and that's where you know she's an actor. You got a real taste for like her actual character.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, damn, she was spitting like as a Nora because she was truly like there was a.
Speaker 2: Humility, just a teenager.
Speaker 4: When she went up there, She's like, oh my god, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she just seemed really young and anyway, Adrian Brodie baby best Actor for a second time. People noted that as he was taking the stage, she took his gum out of his mouth and threw it at his partner. To his partner, some would say, Georgina Chapman.
Speaker 2: Wait he did? Oh? Is that what was going on? I was like, what the you have? Like a lipper in or something? Be way better loose. It's not even like a fucking pouch.
Speaker 4: Just all right, put that in my gatorade bottle under my seat.
Speaker 2: You could have just spit it into your Gatorade bottle.
Speaker 1: I don't want him to see I spit into a Gatorade bottle. Okay, it's embarrassing and they can see all the spit. It's the clear bottle.
Speaker 2: Okay. Good for him.
Speaker 4: His partner is he shout out his partner and her kids, who are now I guess his step kids. His partner is Harvey Weinstein's ex wife, so like those, he's shouting out like Harvey Weinstein's children from the stage, which damn okay, Russell will insisting, piece of interesting, piece of context. Yeah all right, jam said, so, no matter how much gum he throws at her Adrian Brodie will never be her shittiest romantic partner.
Speaker 1: We talked about I'm surprising to have my shirt. He's like, I'm not the step father that's stepped up.
Speaker 2: That's right. How you like that, Harvey? And then it's like, yo, wait, don't shout him out. Okay, that's right.
Speaker 4: So just going along with the like indie element of the whole thing. The movie Flow one for Best Animated Feature against Inside Out two I think was nominated, and the good robot Wild Robot, which was also nominated.
Speaker 2: I really liked Wild Robot. I thought that was good.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen Flow, but JM was pointing out that it is like another example of like independent. It was made for three point seven million dollars by a Lotvian director using free, open source animation software that basically anyone can use on a lot Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Inside Out to cost two hundred million dollars to make, so yeah, so your movie sucks okay.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah? Wow three point seven million is that's pretty remark that's wild. Yeah. Good for the yo.
Speaker 1: So when no other land one for Best Feature Documentary, and we talked on the show about how they were still I'm pretty I feel. I don't know if anything's changed, but up till the awards, they had not secured any American distribution for this documentary that's talking about what's happening in the occupied West Bank. Yeah, my fucking step mom sat on the remote inadvertently and muted the TV.
Speaker 2: But we didn't realize.
Speaker 4: You thought they were like cutting their mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, you know what, And I went up there and go what the fuck is going on? And everyone was like there's no there's no sound. Wow.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the wait what I'm like hell, no, hell, And I'm like no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: And then she's like, oh, wait, hold on, the remote is here, and then I hit the mute button and it came back on. I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: For a second, I was like, bro, I was not ready to fucking fully go across the rubicon into like and now you will not hear anything that goes against the wheels of the American Empire. Yeah, but yeah, that was also. Yeah, it was wild to have like that moment be where you could hear some of the realist shit being talked, because from what I saw, like none of the people that won for Amelia Prez ever like mentioned the trans community like in their acceptance speeches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like.
Speaker 1: We're at a pretty critical juncture here and being able to like stand up for marginalized people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, that was that was a that was a big speech. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They specifically called for an end to the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people and also called a US foreign policy that's helping to block a political solution without ethnic supremacy. And yeah, I mean we're so far from the US not doing that that US is blocking this movie from like getting distribution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't like the harsh reality of our foreign policy because I think that's what they said. It's like, and the foreign policy of this country is actually preventing it. It was interesting to see like some people would stood up when they won.
Speaker 2: Other people seemed firmly planted in their seats. But hey, it is what it is, because we don't want to bring too much sunlight onto a situation like that. But I think most people clearly understand how powerful the message and how important the story is because it won. Yeah, I will say so.
Speaker 4: Another place that people are probably saying it is what it is this morning is Hulu because they were streaming the Oscars for the first time, and they they missed the open wicked performance by Cynthia Revo and Ariana Grande. Really also missed Conan's monologue wait, like.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't part of the stream, like they were just greeted it.
Speaker 4: I feel like it was like being handled by like a fifty something guy, you know. It was like, oh shit, I didn't even realize the Oscars were on. They also like cut out during the Best Actress category informing viewers that the show was over, and then someone had to be like, yo, you do like you you have to like add extra time. You can't just like have it cut off at the time. They say, that's pretty standard for anyone who's ever used a DVR, right, And then it happened again during the Best Picture announcement. They're like, all right, right now, it's got to be over right.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: For this and many other reasons, I have a hard time believing that one billion people watched the show, which was mentioned multiple times that a billion people around the world were watching it. US ratings have been around like sixteen million people in the past couple of years. I think they got as low as eleven during the pandemic, but seems like that, you know, eleven to sixteen in the US. That's like that's your base right there, Like that's who would be watching.
Speaker 2: That's that right? I don't know that you're gonna yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Brian pointed out that a billion people would be everyone in America and Europe, just every single person on both comes.
Speaker 1: We can only get we can only add three hundred million to that pot, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what.
Speaker 1: Let's see, like what the World Cup probably didn't even get close to whatever. I mean, clearly, that's like one of those Oniony type jokes where.
Speaker 2: People were like, I think so, and then you think of any like a fucking way A billion people watch this? Right?
Speaker 1: That only bluster Like they said sixteen, So that's up from previous years.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 4: Last year was sixteen, but last year also had uh Oppenheimer and Barbie like the two oh yeah yeah, the past couple of years vying so I think, and like a musical number by Ryan Gosling and stuff like that. Though I think it's probably this one. If I had to guess, this one will be slightly down.
Speaker 1: But yeah, whatever, I mean it's it was going to see like the charts of like just the dwindling interest in the I'm just curious if someone can map like wage stagnation and inequality with waning interest in stuff where wealthy people do backslapper times and giggle fests. Yeah, just think I think there might be something there.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's easier when you could trick yourself and be like and I might one day be in that class.
Speaker 2: Of people or something. Shit like. It's about aspiration. We're like, I feel like now you're just like, fuck all this ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, well those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get your vaccines way you still can't get your flu shots.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you hear the JFRFK Junior. He's back on board.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this is this message brought to you by RFK Junior. He says vaccines are good.
Speaker 2: Vaccine good, vaccine good, but still don't.
Speaker 4: Do nothing about white supremacy. Not brought to you by anyone in the Trump administration. That wore, and we will talk to you tomorrow. Bye bye