Speaker 1: You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: He's talking about spoilers. Warning this podcast could tase a multiverse of spoilers about the shows What If on Disney Plus FX, is Why the Last Man, and just general geek outs over the new Matrix resurrections and Hawkeye trailers. I think I randomly spoil some stuff from the Hawkeye comic by Matt Fraction and David Daya. Just be warned there are spoilers inside here. Hello and welcome to episode three of x ray Vision and the Crooked Podcast, where we delve into the nooks and crannies or your favorite shows, favorite movies, comics, and pop culture. On today's episode, so much news has broken in the last week, and we're gonna cover it all, from the recently released Matrix resurrections and Hawkeye trailers to the premiere of Why the Last Man on FX. Then on x ray Vision Multiverse, we post our own alternate timeline and discussion of the first five episodes of the Disney Plus show What If and it's comic origins, and finally, special treat for y'all. X Ray Vision is pleased to offer an interview with Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings star Simu Liu. But first let me introduce this week's co host. You can find her scholarly writings on matters large and small in the worlds of film and comics and entertainment of places like IGN, Nerdist and Esquire. Please welcome back, Rosie night, Rosie. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm so good. I'm so happy to be here. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. It's been a crazy it's been a crazy week, yeah, all around, but a crazy week for comic news. I can't man, I can't wait to talk about it. We were already laughing about it. Let's just get let's just get to the news quickly. First, the Matrix Resurrections trailer has dropped. At first, they were initially these little video offerings on the Matrix website that were you could access through a bunch of hoops that you could jump through. But now the trailer has dropped. The film, director by Lanowichowski, hits theaters December twenty second, twenty twenty one. It will be streaming for a month on HBO Max. The trailer brings back your second or third favorite chosen one, depending on the franchise you get. Neo Trinity is back, yeah yah. Abdul Matin takes over as Morpheus for Laurence Fishburne, who just doesn't want to do it anymore, and Neil Patrick Harris plays a therapist with some very questionable motives. I'm excited for this. I loved the first two Matrix movies, the second, the third one was like fine, but let me so, did you what was your Did you have any connection to the Matrix movies?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I love the Matrix. When I was growing up, I was actually really into like Kung Fu and Hong Kong cinemar and stuff. So when I saw The Matrix I thought I was really cool because I understood what work. I was a kid when it came out. I watched it on VHS at my dad's house in Hackney, and I just remember thinking it was so cool and scary. I love the techno thriller of it all. Like as I've grown up, I really love knowing like Jeff Darrow, who's this rad cartoonist. He was really involved with doing the character designs like that it meilds a lot of stuff that I love, like anime influences, Kung Fu, John Woo, all that kind of stuff. So yeah, I was very very I thought the Trainer was really cool. I really like how they kind of embraced the things that Keanu does now, like it feels more John Wiki, it's a little bit less Snowy. It's it's this guy who's stuck in this world that he kind of doesn't really fit into, and he's gonna go on this mission to the past. So I like those echoes fit. And I thought that the action that they teased looked really good, so I thought it was cool.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I thought that Trinity was dead, but like that's I'm excited to see how we bring her back. So the original Maje I had. I missed it in the theaters because people forget this now, but I think at the time it had one of the more confusing like promo marketing pushes that I've ever Like I couldn't figure out what the movie was about from the commercial, but then everybody was like, oh my god, the Matrix, it's Star Wars, It's Star Wars for this generation. I was like, okay, I got it. So I skateboarded to Blockbuster and I rented the movie and I rented a VHS player because I didn't have anything to play on, so I had to rent. You could rent VCRs from Blockbuster at the time. It came in like this huge, like carrying case, and I rode with all that stuff back on my on my skateboard and then I watched the movie. I was like, this is dope. It's funny that you mentioned that Hong Kong influences. I had my nerd friend at that time, this guy Keith that was my comic book Hong Kong movie'es nerd stuff friend, and he was like, ah, man, it's not it's not authentic enough, like you and woping it's He did obviously like if you have him choreographing, it's awesome, but like, I'm not sold on on Kia like he was his It's this was like the nerd conversation that I would have with him was like, it's not it's not Hong Kong authentic enough, which was really funny. Anyway, I'm excited for this. I think it makes sense to bring back the Matrix and I again, like I think you're right, like the aesthetics, the vibe. It's almost like a lot of people on social media were like getting at me, like have they merged? Like are the john Wick Matrix universes? Like are they overlapping?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like, I mean the truth is, if john Wick hadn't have been such a massive success, you probably wouldn't be getting this movie. So it is like at least not in this version with Keanu. So I feel like that makes sense to kind of embrace those things. Where does it fit in the time? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Like, who knows.
Speaker 3: I know. It was so funny when people were like, oh, you know, because Lawrence Fishbrown said like he wasn't invited to be in the movie. And then you have Yaya, who I do love and any movie that puts Ya in the suit. I love that. I love black Mans. I loved him in Acman. I just say a candy man. He's great. But also like, I don't know if he's gonna be Morpheus because like here's some fun, ridiculous thing that's definitely not Cannon. But when they launched the Matrix online game.
Speaker 2: Right, he died, He died he dies, he killed They kill him with some nanoparticle bullet too, that like one hundred, like he is dead, dead deck And it was meant to.
Speaker 3: Be like this huge event, but then you know, the game folded or whatever. But I I was when when I saw this younger iteration and this kind of idea. I guess you could have multiple versions of the character because of the way the matrix works, But I did think that would be really funny if they bought in this canon that like that version of Morpheus.
Speaker 2: Had died, right, Yeah, they just like have like a cash yeah, version of the younger Morpheus or something. Lanawakowski said at the Berlin International Literature Festival of Keanu's reaction to the film. Quote, casual brilliance just kind of rolls off piano and he was just sitting there and he goes, twenty years ago, you told a story in which you described the coming twenty years and the problems of the nature of digital virtual life and how it is going to impact this and how we think about it, and gave us a frame to be able to think about it and talk about it. And you took the same character of the same stories and the same stuff and somehow you made it about the next twenty years, so that's exciting, I will say, you know, like I hope it explores the central paradox of the Matrix to me, which is that the heroes of this story want to destroy it necessarily want to destroy the Matrix and free humanity. But what makes the story cool is the Matrix. Like, like what made the second and mostly the third film is really not that cool, was like all this shit happening in the real world, Like, I want the Matrix, so that will be interesting. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Next lots of like the big Marvel DC video game news for nerds and for people like us, basically because we had Spider Man two, which people didn't know was coming, and after Mars Morales I think is probably the most anticipated game now. It was absolutely Miles Morales somehow managed to step up that first Spider Man game, which playing that was like a revelation to me. I could never naturally that you would be able to actually swing through this guys. And then I love the adaptations they made for Miles, moving it away from the police and stuff like that, making it moving.
Speaker 2: It away for the police was great, Moving it away for the great.
Speaker 3: And like that's gonna be PS five only, which is bad for me because I have a PS five. I'm gonna have to get it because there's more than one game I want now. Venom, that's the other big thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Venom in the game, super super exciting. Insomniac the developer is like hard carrying PlayStation exclusive right now, so that is super exciting. I hope somehow they make Venom playable, be that as it may, as the big bad as the big boss of that game should be really fun. I'm really excited, and I think.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be like Peter Miles teaming up. And they did say they're only gonna have it's not gonna have like a co op mode, which I think a lot of people want it. But yeah, you know, I understand that because the quality of the gameplay that they're getting as a single play is like so unreal that I understand why they can't necessarily compromise that. Also, they came out really strong because they were like, by the way, we've got this surprise Spider Man two game like sequel to probably the most famous Superher game of all time, but also Wolverine, and every nineties kid was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is the game that I've been waiting for since ye no question, since, like you know, the X Men Arcade game. I played it all the time. Super fun. You know, this is Insomniac doing. This is everything I've ever wanted. I have some questions about, like I guess it's gonna be like a lot of robots or something because I can't see like decapitations being being in a you know, rated whatever for everyone game for everyone. But uh, I'm excited. Nonetheless, this is gonna be super fun.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is literally what I've been waiting for, and it's my entire life.
Speaker 3: It's got a really cool team, like Evan Narcis is going to be a writer on it, Mars Morales and I think one of the other main writers from Mars Morles is on it. And I thought they did. The tease was so good, Like if you haven't seen it, it's basically just Wolverine in a bar. The graphics look unreal. You're getting real uncanny badly vibes. You've got to see his arm hairs and everything, and then he just somebody tries to start a fight and his little clause come out. Huts every time. Yeah, he's ready. I want to. I'm so excited about the fighting, like fighting mechanisms on games, like really starting for me with Arkham Asylum, but going to Spider Man and Males Morles. Yeah, so intuitive, and that's going to be so good with Wolverine, like all the moves. But like you said, who's he going to be killing? Because I can't imagine that they're going to make this a gtaesque like blood and Gore killing people kind of game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Arkham, that mechanic, the kind of very simple but very addictive attack counter dodge mechanic that made it a kind of like a beat matching game in a certain way. Yeah, and the Shadows and ward Or games also use this kind of mechanic. It just is so addictive and it's the same in the Miles Morales Spider Man and the Spider Man games, like it's a very similar kind of mechanic. So if they can figure out the right kind of fighting mechanic for Wolverine, yeah, that will be amazing. Like I literally can't wait. I used to I would play hours of Arkham Asylum, just like the Beat Him Up where you fight fifty guys like modes because it's just super super I'm really also, like.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't want to, there's so much more stuff to cover. But like when you think about the Spider Man games, right, both of them, the amount of characters they managed to include in those games is so cool. So when you think about Wolverine and you just think about who you might see in it and the different characters you might get to players or play against, that is just I'm sure it's gonna be Logan esque stripped down, like not too many, but they are gonna put some deep cut X Men characters in there, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, we have to see we have to see Solar Samurai and has to be in there. Yeah, and it will be weird if Sabertooth is not in there, and in some yeah, in some way, I feel like.
Speaker 3: He has to be in there because like it's they're going for that whole Western kind of vibe, so the brotherly drama it always fits in, you know. And I also think whatever is going on with the MCU now, Marvel and everyone is very aware that for a lot of people, those X Men movies are the formative versions of the X Men, Like especially if you weren't really around for the ninety four cartoon, you know, the X Men Night two stuff, so like, yeah, it's it's very interesting. I cannot wait for it. And then it's like basically anyone our age was getting blessed because then they were also like, yeah, where Star Wars dot Com was like, oh, we're gonna make a Night of Republic remake the game that everyone had been asking for for like a million years.
Speaker 2: So the only not the only reason, but the primary reason that I have an Xbox is to play the Kotor backwards compatible, which I was in the midst of doing when this news came out. And good, finally, like I like, that's all I have to say is finally, I can't wait, Like just reskin the game and leave it as is. It's perfect, Like the only thing that's missing is updated graphics, and if they do that, like I can't I cannot wait. Yeah, I mean the statement on Star Wars dot Com reads announced the PlayStation showcase twenty twenty one Star Wars Nights of the Old Republic remake. We'll see the classic RPG return as a play station five console exclusive. Sorry Xbox I launched in four PC Asper the Texas based studio that has collaborated with Lucasfilm in various projects for over a decade, including a recent spate of well received re releases from Lucas Arts. Era is handling development rebuilding the game from the ground up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it seemed like it seemed like this was coming ever since they started doing like Jenna Knights stuff like that. So yeah, but when will they remake Masters of Tarakazi. That's the real question. That's what the reals dollars. Yeah, but Warner Bros. Obviously they want to be like, you know, left out. I was hoping to see something from Gotham Knights because I loved the looks of that game. Didn't get that. But one of their biggest releases in comics and video games, I mean it started as video game Injustice. They were giving like they released the first trailer for the movie, which is based on the comics also which came out of the video game. And so this is what the announcement said, which was on screen. Rap was based on Tom Taylor's graphic novel in Justice. God's among last year one itself based on nether Realm Studios twenty thirteen game in Justice God's among us. The film depicts Superman going on a rampage off death of Lewis Lane and the Umble Child and hands of the Joker that I have to say, I actually think Tom Taylor's the comic book writer he I think his biggest secret skill is taking something like this like deceased that should be a tie in forgettable thing, and making it some deep story.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was like, this can't be good. Mm hmm, one hundred percent, like, oh, they're doing a comic version of Injustice. It can't be good. No, uh, it's good.
Speaker 3: It's good, and not just that it became like a huge smash it. I personally will say, I do not believe. This is one of my deepest beliefs and my problem with I actually love Injustice because I love mortal combat, and I love like mortal combat but with superheroes. But I do not believe on a base level that Superman would go on a rampage if Lewis and his kid died. Superman is about love, He's about forgiveness, He's about hope. I don't buy it. I don't buy it here. I don't buy Injustice, Like, but the movie does it really good? And the cost is stab act and I think people are probably gonna love it because DC Animation is really rad.
Speaker 2: Yes, is really rad and has been hard carrying Warner Brothers DC content honestly for a long time. Yeah, I agree with you. You know, read All Star Superman like it's I don't Superman is and is a hero is the hero like there is just and DC in its video properties has kind of not been able to find that tone of Superman. But I'm still excited for this. I'm still excited.
Speaker 3: Yah, it's gonna be cool and bass and that that's the stuff that they've been doing that's more adult, the more combat movies. They've been doing a super fun, super violent super out there, So I think that they'll bring that to Injustice and I think it will be really cool.
Speaker 2: Next, so Marvel was releasing this one shot called Timeless that was going to introduce a It's basically going to introduce an audience to Kang as they're setting up Kang is a big bad for Phase four in the MCU, A good idea. The artist on this was Joe Bennett, whose work on with valuing on the Immortal Hulk has been some of the most exciting, weird and like body horror creative art currently available at Big two Comics look super super great. Unfortunately, Joe Bennett has been removed from that from Timeless because we have learned now that Joe Bennett is a fascist. Joe Bennett, Joe Bennett. Why why Joe Bennett. So, Joe Bennett had slipped a anti Semitic reference into Immortal Hulk in the pass Andy you kind of like explained it off.
Speaker 3: It was pretty explicit, though, it.
Speaker 2: Was pretty explosive. So so the images is a banner at a at a jewelry store and in the background there is a glass window and there's writing on the glass window and it says instead of jewelry, jewelry.
Speaker 3: And I think that was even a star of David maybe.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it was. And then later Joe, more recently, Joe released some pro Bolsonnaro, the president of Brazil, the fascist president of Brazil, released some pro Bolsonaro art on social media that showed Bolscenaro killing people with a sword and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the people he was killing were like anti Semitic caricatures.
Speaker 2: It was, Yes, it was a lot of big noses the whole thing.
Speaker 3: And I think the worst thing about this, which is isn't this the way with the internet. It was actually from like twenty seventeen, but it was like we only found out about it now because somebody shared it, and so I think at this point people were just like, oh, it's like, oh, this is not because obviously he explained away, Oh it was a misspelling. Did it this? You can't really explain it away. You are putting you can't You're putting your propaganda art on the side of fascism, and the art is fascistic.
Speaker 2: It's really really bad. Aluing took to Twitter on September second to basically apologize. He said, Immortal Hulk has done but I won't be working with Joe again. If people choose not to pick up my work with other artists in the future on the basis of my handling of this, I understand and except that if I've lost your trust, that's on me. Basically, Amya Kalpa for not standing up to this sooner and more authoritatively. But I think al, I don't think anybody blames al for this. That said, it sucks in the sense that Immortal Hulk really is amazing, Like I don't it's a hard the tagline for Mortal Hulk, which is Hulk is now help can't be killed. He has reverted back to his original mode of turning into the Hulk, which is it happens at night. It's existential and gary, and it explodes.
Speaker 3: Like every aspect of Hulk and what it means to be Hulk.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, the multiple personalities, the origins of the of the gamma radiation, how the gamma ration radiation affected Bruce, Bruce's own psyche in a way that builds on the kind of like earlier work, uh, the kind of like earlier developments of Hulk and Banner as like these multiple versions of of Banner. It's really really cool. But yeah, Joe Bennett has done now the replacement four times is one Greg Land. So Greg Land is he's he has has done a lot. He worked on X Men, He's worked on a lot of comics, particularly from Marvel over the years. Greg Land is divisive, not divisive in a in a kind of like problematic, certainly not in the sense of Joe Bennett, but divisive in the sense that so he got this gig because they need clearly Marvel needs to hit a deadline. This this comic has been announced, it needs to come out, it needs to set up king, and it needs to happen on time. And one, he's very reliable. And and the reason that Greg Land is very reliable, and the reason that he's divisive is that he is known and he's kind of infamous for using basically for for using guideline images that he then bases his comic panels on, uh I E. Tracing and listen, every artist does this to some express, Every artist working does.
Speaker 3: Different ways. People. No one's saying that like Simonson and Adams in the all days on a bit of paper. Let's be real, where does where does Greg Lamb trace from? Jason?
Speaker 2: Greg Land very often traces from erotic adult slash pornographic images. Is he has been he has been caught doing this numerous times. He's toned it down. Let's be clear about this. He has toned it down. But he's kind of infamous for this, and and as such he has gained a reputation much like Robley Field for being this kind of like we hate him, but also we get it, Like it's just very funny to replace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really funny, funny, and it's like it's so marvel right now that I was just like, yeah, of course, like, of course that's what's gonna happen. But it is funny though, especially because like I'm a fan, Like I love a lot of like sexy comics. I have cheesecakess I like I have I have like actual like legitimate like X rated comics. I like I love Gilbert Hernandez. I love all different kinds of stuff. But but like it is really funny to see like an you know, it's Jean Gray, but she's like traced from like a sexy porn star and she and You're just like, what's going on? What is going on? Yeah, Now, like the tracing issue has become as the Internet has moved forward as well, Like the tracing issue has definitely become like more prominent, like people because it's easier to catch.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's way easier to catch and and again, every artist does this, but Greg's influences and the way he uses these images is just kind of like a degree more blatant than the way other artists use it. Like it's artists, critics and other artists over the years have quite easily found the original art that Greg is basing his stuff off of He's been accused of plagiarizing in the past by other artists like and that's.
Speaker 3: The bigger issue is like, you know what, if you want to poorn, trace and move, was gonna pay you, like eight hundred dollars or whatever, like good for you, like good for you whatever, likes other artists. I wish they would have put on this book by so many incredible arys that I wish would get a regular Marvel book or a one show Marvel book. But you know what, But the issue is, like you said, if if you were plagiarizing like another artists work and then getting paid for it, that is fucked up like that, And that's that's why the issue looks.
Speaker 2: That's why he was called out. He was called out by Tristan Jones in twenty twenty for basically ripping off art from the Aliens Omnibus. So this is around, this is like this has been around at Marvel is not dumb. They understand what Greg is doing. But again, like one of the things that derailed Marvel in the nineties and was a big problem for basically its entire lifespan from the seventies up to the nineties was blown deadlines like this was this was a company that was consistently like late on delivering comics to printers and you know this is later but famously like Ultimate Wolverine Versus Hulk was delayed like five hundred years or something. It was like a six it was a six issue limited series that like stretched out over four years something like that, And it's like.
Speaker 3: It's the problem is like it's a bigger It's like it is you do have to find these artists who can get you the stuff fast, right, which but it's also a bigger problem of like that exploit of industry where people don't have protections, they don't have real deadline, so you can a letter is getting the book two days before it's meant to go to print because the writer didn't know, and then the artist is So it's like a comics is like a fake business. That's what me and my friends always say, Like loads of us make comics, and we always say it's like it's a fake business, Like you wouldn't believe that this stuff could happen, but it does. Like I'm sure there's people sitting here right now who are like this guy does not trace for important you know what he does.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you just go go Greg Land trace on Google and you'll find any number of our you'll find.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny because Marvel actually has like a long tradition of a famous older artists or like I guess not old, but like male artists of a certain age who loved to trace. I I always remember that Invincible. I think it was like an invincible Iron Man book where doctor Doom and the whole book is just it's just mincing Cassel. And then that's I think, there's yeah, and then there's like and I can't remember who there are character is, but one of them is Tommy Lee Jones, and you're just like, my guy, I don't think you can do this, you know. And I think the only person who actually ever properly leveraged that was Sam Jackson, because these people just called Marvel straight away as soon as that oh that's Nick Fiory book came.
Speaker 2: Out and they were like, hey, yeah, Brian Hitch, Yeah, I think Mark Millery, please do it.
Speaker 3: Please do so. Yeah. It's it's an interesting jump, but it's not all bad news in the world of Marvel. It's not all weird sad Tracing. There's a new book coming out. We think when we were talking, we think it's going to be a pretty big deal and is seeding big stuff. So it's Jason Aaron and Aaron Couter doing Aveng just forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason Aaron is kind of like the writer right now at Marvel. Yeah, and Aaron Couter is We were discussing this in the pre pro. I love his style. It's kind of like he's like it's he's like a child of Art Adams, who is my favorite. Like when I first got into comics. There's something like cartoonys but also very very detailed about it. Super super fun and like the cover art, go go google it now is so fun and exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like where's Waldo? For people who love Marvel, like you can just and it doesn't matter. What I love the most about this cover is literally if you did not care about Marvel at all, but you just watched What If and for some reason that was what drew you in. You love animation, you can look at that cover and there is Captain Carter And if you just love one division, you can look at it and there's Monica Rambo. But there's also, you know there's Tony Stuff a man. There's there's a who did you see on the speedball? There's beasts. You know, there's all different kinds of just bonkers characters. You've got wonder, You've got your main but it is unreal. Aaron Kuda's art is like this beautiful like you said, it's like this intricate cartooning that it has so much personality, that every character has a different facial expression, and there's so many characters and so Marvel dot Com like if you're interested in it. Basically it sounds very multiversally relevant right now. And it begins with a quest for cosmic vengeance. Ghost Rider, I believe it's Robby Rays. Ghostwrider finds himself roaring through the wasteland on a ruined Earth where the Great Age of Heroes never came to be, where hope is a four letter word and wears only ally in the coming battle against the greatest villains any universe has ever seen. Is the world's most wanted archaeologist, Tony Stark, the Invincible a man. I love Tony Stark as a man. It makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: It makes so much sense, and against anytime I see Speedball. The New Universe for those who remember, the New Universe was an attempt. It was basically like an attempt to do Ultimate Marvel before Ultimate Marvel launched. This kind of like new generation of Heroes and this and Speedball was kind of like the flagship hero. He bounces around like a speedball, and anytime I see him in something, I'm like, I'm glad they're keeping up with this guy. I'm glad that he's still around. It's gonna be super super fun. And it's a titled Avengers Forever, which is a direct reference to the very well regarded Kurt bussiek Roger Stern late nineties twelve issue limited series that is, you know a lot of the Kang stuff if you want to understand Loki and the introduction of Kang, Avengers Forever is a great place to do it because I think it's like issue eleven or maybe twelve. Kang basically is like, Okay, here's the deal with me, and he lays the whole thing out. So it's like, if you want to understand Kang, check out the late nineties Avengers Forever. I'm trying to think, but like, maybe the best thing going at Marvel during that late nineties like collapse era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of the it's really interesting to look back in that era and the stuff where we know, like when the boys went to you know, Found Image and everything and kind of the way the boom and the bust was happening. Yeah, it's really interesting the cool stuff that snuck through, the cool weird ideas that and a lot of these creators they say that, you know, the eighties the nineties, they didn't know these were going to become multi billion dollar properties. Like you were just making an idea that would make someone want to pick up the next issue, and in that way, some of this stuff becomes really really cool and unexpected.
Speaker 2: I agree like that. The kind of like post bankruptcy era Marvel, I think is some of the most creative stuff happened there, whether it's Black Panther and Marvel Knights or or Avengers Forever or like Exstatics X Force Ecstatics, Like there's just a lot of fun stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Joke Asarda like had this space where it was kind of like you could bringing in like these really cool cartoonists that he knew and making work that maybe wouldn't have been able to be made in the Robliefeld like era, you know, and you got really weird stuff out at Frankincastle, you know, punish your guy. I love Marvel Knights. Obviously, Marvel Knight's so bloody cool, and I think that stuff's going to become like really really intrinsic to what's.
Speaker 2: Going I think the Yeah, the moon I would expect that. Obviously there's been various incarnations of Moonlight, but I would expect that what we see from Moonnight is adapted from the Marvel Knights stuff. That's my expecting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. I think it's going to be I think that's going to be the major source point. And I also think they're going to have to do not necessarily like a Watchman level reconsideration, but they're definitely going to have to be very thoughtful about the things that they're doing and the way that they're taking on the character, because there's so much there that can can kind of go wrong.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure talk the mental Yeah, the mental health aspect of you we'll table that for now, but the mental health aspect of Moonnight needs to be handled in the right way. And I'm excited to see how they do.
Speaker 3: I think off to one division and the exploration of trauma and different kinds and still centering all different kinds of stories within that. I think I've got hope that they could do a cool version.
Speaker 2: In recent news, we're recording this on a Tuesday. Yesterday, the trailer for Hawkeye limited series on Disney Plus, which launches on November twenty fourth, dropped on the internet, and man, it is a lot of fun, clearly adapted from the Matt Fraction and David Daya solo title that really like redefined Clint Barton as a character in the Marvel universe. If you want to pick up a great, great comic that you don't need to know a lot about other things that are happening in Marvel Comics, even at the time or that came before, pick up Matt Frat and David Daya's Hawkeye. It is great and like everything about it is fresh and fantastic. It's like there are themes of like gentrification and like working class strife, and it is incredible. There's a great there's a great dog in it. And David's art. I think no one does No one does layouts like no one from the art, from the way he does his panels, from the cadence of the pages. There's an early page in issue to where Clint is hanging out with Kate Bishop and their training. They're just firing arrows into a dummy and Kate is asking him a question, and as Clint is drawing and firing, the thing she is asking him gets spread out like letter by letters, so that you understand how quick Clint's reactions are, how fast he is with the bow. It's so cool, And there's a million things like that. I'm really and and from the trailer, it seems like a lot of that is in there. There's a ton of it.
Speaker 3: It's the only way you can do a Hawkeye show. Look, I'm not gonna lie. I was kind of mad at how good this trailer is because I don't want to care about Hawkeye. I'm ready for that. I'm ready for that Hawkeye, that man Hawkeye, that Jeremy and Hawkeye. He can be gone. I don't. So when I saw this, like, I was felt personally attacked because one that comic is amazing. Two like it's a Christmas show and I fucking love Christmas movies shows whatever, Like I love that shit, it's got big die hard energy, but.
Speaker 2: Also like, yes, it's I think the.
Speaker 3: Only way you can legitimately make this show is to take from that series, because there is stuff, like you just said, right, this is gonna be We get to see a lot of cool stuff in these Marvel shows, the One Division show, for example, I talk about it a lot. I could not believe how much they took directly from these real, those really amazing mini series in the eighties. Yeah, but this is a I think that they're very smart to look at this book and know that there is stuff that they are going to basically take straight from that. Because let's be real, so straight from you got issue eleven, right, which is the Lucky the Pizza Dog issue, or the from Lucky's perspective, that is going to be an episode, and if it's not a whole episode, it will be at least half of an episode or a recurring thing. It's an iconic issue.
Speaker 2: You can't not do the iconic Lucky the Pizza Dog again. Like pick up this comic, pick up the trades, Go to your local comic book shop and pick up the trades. It's worth it. The Lucky the Pizza Dog Bottle issue is one of the greatest single issues in comics history, like ever, ever, ever, ever. It's from the perspective of the dog, and that's all I'll say. But the storytelling and the way Dovey cracks the code on how to tell this story through the perspective of the dog, it's unbelievable and it's so good and I agree with you. It's just got a yeah, it's gonna be that.
Speaker 3: And Lucky is in the show. We know that they released a poster with Lucky on it, like he.
Speaker 2: Had to be in the show. He's not in the show that I'm a nobody and something that.
Speaker 3: I think is like really amazing about that book. Right, So the book deals with Hawky and deafness, which is throughout his that's throughout his storyline, but it's on and off again, it depends, and that's never been in the MCU. But we know it is going to be in this show because we saw him wearing hearing aids. And also they cast an actual deaf indigenous actress called a lack of Cox to play Echo, who's a deaf Indigenous hero and I'm so stoked about that. That's just and the thing that I think another thing that I think is really cool about this is like, so when the Lucky the Pizza Dog episode came out, every issue came out, everyone was like, this is really cool, and I think there was like a little bit of thing around deaf people being like, well, this is the only episode, this is the only issue that's like seems to want to represent that lack of communication, but it's from the perspective of a dog lo and behold. Eight issues later they do an issue that is a sign language issue, and I just think like, and that issue as well, Issue nineteen unbelievable, like one of the coolest issues and one of the coolest ways of showcasing like visual storytelling and how you can change the communication in that way. So I feel like one also, I love I think Hayley is like perfect casting as Kate Bishop.
Speaker 2: So really I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: I just think there's a lot of potential for this to be like not only really cool, fun die Hard esque like Holiday Magic, but also like a kind of step towards a death representation that we've never really seen in any like rarely any TV shows, let alone Supero.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is just so cool. That is really exciting one small aside, So apparently Kate is introduced in this show. She comes to Clint's attention because she is wearing the rone in costume and she's out there doing stuff. It's just so hilarious to me because, like I mean, listen, I love Clint and he's been through a love he became he became a fucking serial killer. Can we just get this sonata?
Speaker 3: He didn't just killed Ton down being in joem Wick three. He turned down being in Joe Wick three, playing the pole the monde caskis pop to be in the man game and to get killed by serial killer. Hold on, I will never forgive it. I will never forget. I hate.
Speaker 2: Clint went country to country to country killing, murdering specifically, look at what the fuck Clint?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: And then he's just like yeah, like again, it's this show is gonna be really fun and it's but it is. It is really funny to me how we just like moved past Clint's time as a legitimate serial killer with.
Speaker 3: The masma like a Ted Bundy level. This is like hundreds of people that he's killing, and like I I will never forgive that. I will never forget seeing her Yuki Sonata, who's like maybe my favoritectory all time, but definitely like up there on the Crton red carpet for that movie. And they're like, what did you feel like when they asked you said, who says no to a Marvel movie? Like it's a Marvel movie. And they killed him in like five minutes.
Speaker 2: I'll you saw this at all?
Speaker 3: Clint Clint as if sorry, that's never gonna happen festival and like, I, yeah, this is my dream for this show. I just want him to just like die in the first episode. And then it's just like Kate Bishop and a Lacqua Cox.
Speaker 2: I't Bishop, I'm too old for that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't need to see my hope is the one thing I thought was at least a bit good. If you're not going to deal with that, which they are not.
Speaker 2: They're we're never gonna deal with it.
Speaker 3: If you're not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: But Clint killed like five hundred people, but whatever, Yeah, it was a blurb.
Speaker 3: It's fine, But you know what, I kind of like that they're making him a ship dad. I'm like, if that's all he's going, I don't want to have to see him have some redemption whatever. It's like if he's just letting down his family and then we don't have to see him again after this and it can just be Kate in the Young Avengers and a lacquise Echo like cool, but I will never forget. I will never forget what he did. And then when they bought the roan In costume, because I think the rumor was that like Echo would at some point take that one. The Kate.
Speaker 2: I was like why.
Speaker 3: I was like, Kate Bishop has iconic costumes contemporary Marvel history, Like nobody needs to see that Ronan costume and remember what he did? Like is she a serial killer fan girl?
Speaker 4: Like when she said to him, She's like, I'm so oh my god, you're climbot.
Speaker 3: And like I remember when they released the description and it was like Kate Bishop is like obsessed with Hawkwy, I'm out of every Avenger like Pase.
Speaker 2: You know that's never gonna happen. And one more, you know, like I don't want to speak ill of the dead and criticize the dead, but uh, Natasha did really just stand there and not do anything? Nope, Well, Clint murdered half a dozen guys.
Speaker 3: Those two they were always off their bad vibes. Now she's got fuck he did the wrong thing anyway, Like in what world? In what? I don't even rate black widow. I don't like him MC, I don't like that. Whole thing is just not for me. But I was even mad when she sacrificed herself. I was like, for this serial killer, you're gonna let you would be better off if you care about his family. Let him go off the edge, and then he's not gonna kill his family because honestly, you don't know that that's not gonna happen. Like this guy just killed so many What if his daughter smokes some weed one time? Is he gonna kill her because she's a criminal like this guy.
Speaker 2: Florence Pugh is confirmed in this, not in the trailer, but we're gonna see this. We're gonna see her as Yelena. So for those of you who are like, Yelene is the better and less murderous Natasha, although we don't know the murders that she's carried out, but she's under mind controlling. Yeah, she's cool, you will be uh. One thing that absolutely delighted me was Rogers the musical. Like I tweeted a bunch of song names. Let me just quickly pull them up from my version of Rogers the Musical. I think we opened with just a kid from Brooklyn obviously. Then we go the flagpole g Captain Phillips, my shot, Steve's not thrown away his shot of super Soldier Serum, star Spangled Man with a Plan. We get the reprise of Star Spangled Man with a Plan, which is kind of like the part where Steve's like, oh, is this all there is to this? Heidi, Heidi ho Hydra till the end of the line and our dance after all this time, the sacrifice play, and then finally you're getting sleepy. I could do this all day, and then we get a uh till the end of the line reprise at the end. That's my That's what I think.
Speaker 3: That up writing on a Marvel TV show, And I will forever just be sitting hell of about stuff because literally I came up with I was like, that's America's ass.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's the America's ass. America's ass feels like so you know how in Greece the Broadway. So the end song in Grease the movie I Got You that was written, that was written for the movie and as a kind of band slash drama kid nerd. I played in the bands that backed the plays at school. We were all really pissed because you couldn't play the song because they didn't include it with the because they read it. They wrote it directly for the for the movie. So the rights, there's a whole rights issue, and basically you can only play the music from the Broadway play. I think that that's what happens with Rogers the Musical. I think when they adapt Rogers the Musical for the film version in the MCU, they will have America's ass Like as the end song, the big Like number, but it won't be part of of Rogers the music.
Speaker 3: It's a serious, light Broadway musical. Of course, there's emotions to be had there.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the next up. The first three episodes of Why the Last Man have dropped on the internet. You can watch them on Hulu through FX and These are adapted from the well regarded and critically acclaimed comics from Vertigo, written by Brian Kavon with art by Piagara. I have watched the first three episodes. I've watched the first six episodes. What do you think Rosie.
Speaker 3: It did not answer my biggest question about this show sure, which is should you have made this show? Does this show need to exist in twenty twenty one. I don't feel like that is what I saw that that would be my ye. I feel like it's a very well made show.
Speaker 2: But it looks great.
Speaker 3: It looks great, but you know what the truth is when I think about Why the Last Man, which obviously was like such an iconic book for people like our age, people a bit older than us, people a bit younger than us, that was like the Vertigo book, that is like the When I think about that, even the esthetically like I think of like Peers R. And I think of like the Colors, and it has that comic book feel to me. The biggest immediate issue of Disconnected is it just feels like The Walking Dead And I understand why you do that because The Walking Dead is so popular, but that gritty dark even the setup, the way they changed it kind of gives it more of that vibe. It's not a show that excited me in the way that I hoped it would. But again, I do feel like for this show to work now, it has to be an almost like Watchmen level reconsideration of what it means, what you're really dealing with, rather than just like another apocalyptic show. And that, for me is is kind of what I got.
Speaker 2: I think that's really well said, because my end shoal reaction is this is too much of what is actually going on, right, you know, it's about a plague that kills every holder of the Y chromosome. All men die, all male animals die, like wiped out, and the only survivor from the men is this character York and his monkey Ampersand and what happens now? What happens to the world, How does America carry on? How does the world carry out? It was a little and what are the political ramifications of that? It felt so present that it felt like, Man, if I want to catch this fibe, I'll just watch the news. Also, I think one of the things that like kind of bumped me in the comics, there's a level of emotional sustain that makes sense for that medium. What I mean by that is Yorick is confronted with this massive death, incredible loss. He might see someone's brain's blown out right in front of him, someone dies in his arms two panels later, a page later, If that if he if that energy seems to have faded away, we don't think about that because it's a comic. Uh, it makes sense that the characters would have moved on in the context of this show. It's hard to escape that Yorick is just an asshole.
Speaker 3: Oh, like this sucks.
Speaker 2: He's absolute west it And it's really every time he's on the screen, I'm like, this fucking guy. It's like, listen, everybody has died and you're like, I need to find my girlfriend, and like I'm complaining about shit. It's like, dude, you have no responsibilities. Your mom's trying to run the country, Like what are you and you're sitting here complaining about like like your life and stuff like this is so out of touch. And in the comics that kind of made sense, and there was like a quippiness and a and a breeziness to the horror that to the horror of the cond of what was going on in the in the world that felt right for a comic book and made it and created the kind of tone that made it a critically acclaimed book. Taking that directly to live action, it's really hard man, And again, this guy is uric, just fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: He sucks, And I think that the other thing is, like, so something really important to point out right, is like, so every like cis man dies, right, but that also means that a bunch of trans women die, and there's all these different The way that we talk about gender and explore gender has changed so much, and in the original comics that's like one of its biggest flaws when you read it back, is it has it's very sensationalist and like tropy around ideas of different gender, different ideas of gender and the way that people would be affected by this y chromosome. So it's very bio essentialist whatever bullshit. But like, I don't feel like there's still something about the original version of Euorp that feels kind of like, I don't know, maybe it was the era of the time, but him being a jerk it kind of fits. You're like, he's this unlikable, like he sucks, he's just this average guy. But twenty years later, when those guys are like ruling the country and every story is still about them, it doesn't feel that way. It's like, I don't I understand now why they were thinking of casting Barry keone who from because he's a creepy, good, weird actor.
Speaker 4: And when I saw that, I was like, Oh, I was like, if you're gonna do yorick, but you know, Yorick sucks, and like we are left in this position where the last CIS guy on earth?
Speaker 3: Is this just the worst dude who's so ungrateful for it and you are knowledgeable about it. I was like, that's interesting. But instead they cast they recast hunky Yorick, and you're meant to care about him, and he sucks. He's not even a good escape artist, which doesn't make any sense because he's him being an escape artist is important to the story going on.
Speaker 2: I agree that would have been really to your earlier point about like taking it to a Watchman level where you're making a different kind of commentary on the world. Now m m, that would have been really interesting, and maybe that happens like a kind of subversive take on this regular Cis white guy. He's the last one left, and he's not up to it. He's not up to any of the challenges of the world. He's not up to the responsibility. He's trying to shirk it and doesn't this suck? Yeah, this is him and this is an average guy like this is this is We're surrounded by these guys in our current life, and I think that that would have been cool and subversive. It's but I agree with you, they're not. That's not what they're doing.
Speaker 3: They do or and he they want him to be the next Rick Grimes or whatever, and he's just some guy like and I will say, the one thing I think is really good about the show by a mile is Ashley Romans as three five the agent.
Speaker 2: He is great. She needs to be the.
Speaker 3: Protagonist, Like she's the best character in the comics. She's the best character in the show. I really didn't like what they did with hero who in the comics is that's your sister. She is this complex, she's an EMT. She struggles with addictions, trying to get her life together. In this they randomly made it where she like murdered her lover before everyone died, and then they were like, and now she's gonna have to live with the guilt, And I was like, why, Like one, if she murdered him, then what about we just get to see her being so stoked that she got away with it because nobody cares. I would be interested to see that and two why did she have to murder him at all? Like, I don't get it. I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I guess that's the uh setup for her eventually joining the Amazons. But like listen, just as a structural thing, they released the first three episodes, which to me is like a red flag because it says, hey, this should really be one episode. What what a single episode of the show should do, which is launch you forward into the story and want and leave you wanting more and wanting to know what happens. It's actually three episodes that does that do that, And you know, the first few episodes it feels like kind of nothing happens for a long time. It's just like introduction, introduction and the introduction of hero in much the same way. It's like, so we go to that, we have her commit the murder, and then we just that just goes away, like we know, we don't come back to that. I guess we're gonna meet her eventually when she has fallen in with the Amazons. But like, it just feels like, what happens in episode three that should be episode one, Like that should that's how the story should start. It just is a lot of set up and I'll say this, and this is a spoiler. So for those of you who have not read the comics and are going to do it, maybe pause or something. But if they pull off a three five five uric romance in this show, it is going to be one of the greatest accomploicies in storytelling history. Because York is such a piece of shit that I just can't see it being believable. Yes, he is the last literally the last guy on earth, but like every time he opens his mouth, you're like, dude, shut up and please put a fucking leash on your monkey. Like that's the That's the other thing on my read. Is it really hit at the time? Like that comic again in the post nine to eleven era, it was like it was white like why the Last Man? Uh, Scott Pilgrim and the Walking Dead were like the critically acclaimed comic series that like you just had to read, but like looking back on it after the third or fourth ampersand Escape, put a fucking leash on the monkey, tie a rope around the monkey. Why are you constantly letting this monkey escape? Anyway?
Speaker 3: Yorick sucks And like I don't know. I I was like hope for the show. It's not for me basically, and maybe there's someone out there who's going to be like really interested in this deep like political kind of plot lines they put in. But it's very American centric, which I understand on a budget level, but it's also very different from the comic. And yeah, I just I'll be interested. Hopefully they'll maybe do some really subversive stuff. I think they really wanted to plan for it to be five seasons, so there's a lot of time to explore that. But yuric sucks and like you said, there's a real plague, So no, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's very rude. But listen, uh, I didn't love The Walking Dad either. It wasn't for me that but it wasn't for me, but like, who knows, maybe it finds an audience in the same way that The walk found a massive eyes I do.
Speaker 3: I do have a Walking Dead dream though, which is like, so okay, so I don't. I don't really like the Walking Dead show. It's not for me. But when Robert how Robert Kirkman got The Walking Dead picked up by Image, he was like driving one of the founders around and he was pitching them this comic and it was a zombie comic, and they were like, no, we don't want a zombie comic. So he told them the twist was it was actually an alien invasion comic and that the aliens were the ones who put the zombies there. And then like he puts out the book and the book starts coming out and they're like, where are the Aliens? And he's like, it's coming. And then the book gets so successful they just forgot about it and it was just a straight up lie. But now it's the final season of The Walking Dead. I'm like, if you actually want to make me a fan, just say it was aliens.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, I mean to your point about this being like The Walking Dead, you know, one of the kind of central mysteries of Why the Last Man is like why did this play start? Much like that? And much like The Walking Dead, we never really get there, like it's it's not about that, it's about journey the world after this happened. So is that satisfying to people in the same way that like we never find out like what what caused the zon Bobbie plague? And in The Walking Dead? I don't know, but I wish everyone in the best of luck because it does. It looks great, the performances are very good. It just thus far was not for me. When we come back, Rosie and I, we'd be diving into Marvel's what If. Okay, welcome to the airlock. Today we are going to talk about we're going to look forward to what If. This is kind of going to come out on a Wednesday, so we're going to miss, unfortunately, the what if kill Monger save Tony Stark episode, which which is what we expect to be that episode. But let's talk about what if. Let's talk about the previous episodes, some of the comics stuff, and then let's take a look forward into what appears to be based off the trailer that recently dropped, what appears to be a team up close to this season. Super super fun, super exciting. Of course, let's quickly run through the episodes. Episodes one, what if Captain Carter were the first Avenger? We introduced Shuma Gorerath into XCU continuity, What if the Challah became star Lord? Episode two? Super fun episode, Yeah, maybe my favorite of the early run. Episode three, what If the World Lost its Mightiest Heroes? In which Hank him always an asshole in the MCU and obviously a troubled figure in Marvel Comics canon. He just kind of goes ronan serial killer and decides to kill all the heroes before they can join up as the Avengers. Episode four, what if Doctor Strange lost his heart instead of his hands, we get an evil Doctor Strange, corrupted Doctor Strange in the in the vernacular of the MCU. Episode five, What if Zombies, which I was waiting for, super fun. Okay, let's pause here for a second. I really like this. I really liked this episode. Hope's sacrifice hit me. That was really cool. I don't think Stark's armor responds to zombie Stark, Like, I don't think it would work.
Speaker 3: I think that's this is my biggest This is my biggest problem with the episode. Right, I feel like, rather than and it's thirty minute episode, I get it, but I feel like, rather than doing a zombie story that fits into what we love about zombie stories, which is sacrifice, emotional loss. Somebody was like, but what if a zombie had Tony Starks armor and like Hulk's powers or whatever, Like it's a cool idea to have superhero zombies. But I don't think that the suit would do that, and I don't necessarily like it's a cool action piece. And I kind of in that way, I kind of really respect the vibe of like just doing like thirty minutes of just pure horror action. There's just choices that I do not believe that Bucky could just like kill Steve and it wouldn't be a thing like that. I know. That was very unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable that was that was very like we're in the animated world, and therefore we're going to modulate down like the emotional exactly, because he definitely was like I should what does he say something like I should feel something?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But and Cap and he's like peace, like cool uh, And like I don't. I don't love like I feel like I get that you want to have stuff from the comics, but like I didn't need to see to'challa be the one getting zombie munched one again, like we've seen that happen to him in the comics. They could have changed it. It wasn't. I didn't love it. But you know what, wondering vision they deserve each other that we've learned now from this episode. Wonderful those two are.
Speaker 2: I will say, so this is an important thing. I think that does set up Multiverse of Madness and Phase four in general, which is as we saw from Wandavis. It certainly seems as if we are pivoting towards a Wanda who is either a flat out villain or is the Shades of Gray character much like in the comics, whose power level makes her either a villain or a hero depending on circumstances. And that is, on the one hand's super interesting and also, like, I guess they're just turning her into Jean Gray in a weird way. But like, I know that is how it is.
Speaker 3: You know that that is what? Yeah, I mean, even the power set the way that it's represented here, I mean, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Is an interesting thing to note as we go forward, is Yeah, Listen, in the comics, the relationship between Vision and Wanda, their love for each other causes no end of problems, up to and including Wanda wishing a way basically all the mutants. Nearly this is on the heels of creating a world in which the mutants had basically won.
Speaker 3: So yeah, with the manipulation of like her brother and her dad, well her sometimes brother and dad magneto and quick.
Speaker 2: So this is gonna this is gonna be, This is gonna be. This is a thing to note going forward, because it certainly seems as if we're setting up one ye'ld be some sort of villain.
Speaker 3: Definitely, and they're establishing that Vision will do whatever he needs to do, even in Wonder Vision, like he forgives her, you know, like it's it's okay, whatever she's done. And in this version we get to see him doing these horrific things, you know, torturing people, killing people to feed his zombie wife. You know. So these two like they don't cause some trouble, and they they got some problems, they got some marital issues.
Speaker 2: Do we ever get do you think we ever get Power Man?
Speaker 3: I do believe that there is a version where we see, like Simon Williams Wonder Man like version of Vision, like real vision. I think that that could happen. I was sure it was going to happen in I thought it would in Wonder Vision. I was just sure because it makes so much sense, because so in the comics, Vision's mind is based on the imprint of Wonder Man's mind, and then later on when he turns into White Vision, wonderfuls and love Simon Williams, and then it's all very dramatic, and obviously that's not how it was in the MCU because you have the Tony starkth or Ultron situation. But I do I think that that is likely another character who was on the Avengers Forever cover. So I I think it is a likely turn of events. And I wouldn't even be surprised if we get some hints towards the end of What If after all these episodes that have seemed slightly disparate apart from Schumerg the recurring Champion, But like I wouldn't be I think we're seeing some things that are going to be seen into that may and.
Speaker 2: MC let's talk about the mid season sneak peak trailer, which is super fun. Unfortunately, so if you don't IMDb appears to have spoiled what the find the finale is about, So if you don't want to hear this, turnaway now, but well, I'll just say that the appears that the Big Bad of what looks like a team up of the various heroes introduced through the over the course of the series, who then join together under the Moniker the Guardians of the Multiverse will be fighting Infinite Ultron, which is kind of like a merging of Ultron with the Vision, a seeming nod to both the Age the Comics Age of Ultron limited series crossover event and also like Annihilation Conquest in which Ultron sends himself out out into space and becomes like an army of Ultrons and then just starts like knocking off planets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's even like there's like what if issues that play on that too, like what if Vision defeated the Avengers. So this it kind of plays on what you were already hinting, which is this idea of Vision and Wanda potentially being these gray area antagonist characters that kind of live outside of that safe bubble of the Avengers.
Speaker 2: So the the mid season sneak Peak trailer is super super fun, and we have four episodes left. Of course, again this is coming out on the day and episode drops, So I would assume that we get Thor we have we'd have to get Thor. Thor appears in this sneak Peak episode. He is dead in the in the Cannon that we have now killed by Hank Pim. But so I would assume we get Thor probably in the in the what if Killmongers save Tony Stark episode, we still need to get we would need to get Tony Stark probably from there. That's where we get kill Munger from Kill Munger is early in this episode. Let's see Hawkeye has been introduced, Spider Man has been introduced. Oh here's a fun idea. So we see Gomorra in Thanos armor, and we also see Coorg in what appears to be Siicar, and we also see the Grand Master dj if hypothesis, if this is somehow based on Annihilation Conquest or something like that Age of Old, maybe I'm gonna say that we're probably getting like a two part finale in which the penultimate episode is like the setup. We need to here comes the threat, we need to figure out how to face the threat, and then they defeat the threat. So I think it's some version of It's possibly some version of like, let's get the Infinity Gauntlet from Zombie Thanos so we can beat this guy. And when Ultron is you know, zooming towards Earth, maybe he takes out Scar and that is how we see Corgan the Grandmaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm gonna throw in something very funny, The Joys of Capitalism. Yeah, and so I was in Target and I saw a what if lego set. Now there are two what if Lego sets that have been released. One is what If Hydra Stomper the Cool Captain Carr Steve Rodgers Stomper and the other one was that one very core. I love it. It's a rad design, so that shows that they are making things there in the show. The other one was Tony Stark's Sakarian Armor and it was basically Tony in like a circar mec. So I do wonder if you're a scent I think you might be on the right track. I just think that maybe something to do with Killmonger saving Tony is going to end up with them on that space, which is also where we could potentially see thought yes and something along those lines. But I definitely, I definitely think that the two part finale makes sense. I think you're going to get the assembling of the team, yeah, and then you're going to get that we gotta fight kind of thing. The big question is do you think Uatu like the Watcher is going to join them, because I think that will be the thing. I think that might be the secret kind of Guardians of the Multiverse helper.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they've been hinting at it now. Listen, o Watu famously does not interfere in the comics, he does not interfere what a lie what he has. Of course, when in any story, when when a character who is recurring says, I won't do this, the only way the story works is if you is, if the creators create the context for that person then breaking that rule and doing it so I feel like he has to get involved somehow, right, Like it has to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you think about, like just aesthetically, the way the show looks, the animation they use. One of the coolest things about it has been how they bring him to life with like the stars and the different representations. So if you're gonna have this huge Guardians of the Multiverse team with all these different rad characters, it would be very It would be a cool visual storytelling thing to have him there alongside them. And like in the comics, I think in the Eternals two thousand and eight series, the Dreaming Celestial says he's broken it like four hundred times, like he's his thing not to interfit and then like one of my favorite ones is in this Fantastic Four comic in the eighties ages like in nineteen eighty four, the Oatu is like Read Richard's Lawyer because Read Richards like saves Galactus or something. But I feel like, especially after the emotional kind of drive behind the Doctor Strange episode where you really saw are to make that choice to not help because it was all about strangers arrogance, I think that was like setting here's the line he won't cross, but maybe we're going to get see the one he will court.
Speaker 2: I think we'll see something like that. You know, the multiverse is so threatened that you know, what does it matter? What does it mean to be a watcher if there's nothing to watch exactly? And I think that's when Uwatu, and again it's not actually confirmed that he is Uatu, but we'll just call him a Watu for now, the watch the Watcher. I think that is when Uwatu decides, fine, I will help you by either providing information about the things that he's seen. He knows about these other multiverses. How are they gonna get together? Right? He's gonna say, I know someone who can help. I know a hero from this other multiple.
Speaker 3: And like a multiverse or Nick Fury.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that is how they will all get together because they don't know about each other right now. So I think Owatu will come to a point where he sees the multiverse under existential threat, and he and one of these heroes will appeal to him how you can't really, like, I can't do this alone, and then Oatu will say, okay, fine, I know other people who can help, and then it will probably be up to that hero to figure out how to get to those timelines to bring the people in. But I think that's how it happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're definitely right, because when you even think about the name of the team, the Guardians of the Multiverse, that very specific. They are protecting everything. Yeah, it's like you are too. Wouldn't save Doctor Strange or the Watch, wouldn't save Doctor Strange's one universe that he messed up with his own selfish things. But if it's every universe, then surely you have to step in because otherwise do you even exist?
Speaker 2: Like you know, for if people want to get some Uatu comics knowledge, where would you where would you point them to?
Speaker 3: I think that I do like, I like the weird old stuff, so like the Fantastic four stuff like the eighties and it basically any weird like comic you could pick up in a you know, a quarter bin is really my favorite stuff. But there is like speaking of Jason Aaron again with actually Might the Other to the Invincible Iron Man Artist. Yeah, there was an Original Sin Original Sin series. I think people really really like dig on that one.
Speaker 2: That was a fun like Marvel does. Yeah, Marvel doesn't do Who Done It very often and so like, yeah, it's like I dug the who Done It ness of it. I would I would argue that the that the reveal is not super satisfying, but like the journey is is pretty fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that. I think that. I think that also just looking for any comics that are cosmic, you'll usually find the watches popping up. Yeah, I'm a big fan of any kind of like Infinity Want the Infinity War, that kind of stuff, Like they're always popping up doing some nonsense, the Dreaming, the Eternals, the two thousand and eight, which I think is volume three series that has quite a lot of a war Tu centric stuff because like a war two doesn't want to walk when the Dreaming Celestial is worn and stuff like that. So like, I feel like that. I feel like the fact that we've got this what if series, and my brain does always make connections that are not always true because I just have too much information in there and trying to make sense of it. But the I was thinking about that Eternal stuff a lot, and I was feeling like what if right now introducing the concept of the Watcher and then having this emergence in the Eternals movie and stuff, I feel like there's this is again something that could very easily cross over.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. And then certainly, you know, as we saw from the announcement for Avengance Forever, this stuff is is it's starting to cross over now like once, we haven't seen anything jump obviously it's too soon, right, but we but it's yet to be seen if stuff will jump directly from animated to live action, but certainly jumping from live action animated to comics is yeah, the next step is live action. Yeah, yeah, I'm I gotta say, like if what if? Really, I think they'll I think they will nail listen that animated is I love animated series and then this is like, again something that I've been waiting for for a long time. I think that if they nail this team up, it opens the door to a lot of really really fun things. Brad winder Bomb, the head of Streaming TV and animation at Marvel, said quote, all Marvel projects are in some way connected. There's always the potential with regards to animation going to live action. Again, I would imagine it seems to me more plausible that it would go animation to Comics two.
Speaker 3: Because becomes canon then yeah, the correct but yeah, it's super super funny. Yeah. I also think that, like you're so right about that. I think that if this lands in the way that they want it to, I just think there's so much space for a mark a solid Marvel animation because like, yeah, we will have amazing memories of the X Men ninety show and stuff. But like if you've like one wasn't made by Marvel two, Like the animation is very nineties, that's the nice place the quality of it, you know, and in a world where DC is putting out multiple incredible, like cinema level, iconic like animated movies, obviously you have a space now because of streaming services. People are getting to watch not just classic anime series and stuff, but also like brand new anime at all times, Like there's always new stuff coming out that's inspiring people. This is a space where Marvel, I think not just can grow, but kind of needs to grow.
Speaker 2: Well, where DC really took the lead. I think one of the great things that DC has done is they made animated versions of some of their great arcs, great stories. That's the next step if Marvel wants to and it wants to get into the space, it's like, what what do we have in the vaults that And I don't think it's I don't think U the story already being adapted for live actions, say the Ultimates or something like that. I don't think that's a problem because the live actions are so different, it's different. What do you think is like the arcs to pick if they're gonna do that?
Speaker 3: This is what I think is the most obvious thing, right, And I really liked What If, But I would hope that this I think, like the Doctor Strange episode, specifically, some of the face animation wasn't really like one hundred percent there, Like I would love to see a lot of money thrown at a real Infinity Saga, like a real like from the comics. Imagine that sprawling you. It doesn't matter. People have seen the MCU, they've read the comics, they know who Fanos is. You can do Adam Warlock, the just imagine the cosmos like the Unbelievable Adventure, getting to see the duality of all those characters. And then if you want, you can even call it like Infinity Saga legacy or whatever, and it's a way to once again reintroduce characters. The thing. Now, there's a million other stories that I would love to see as well, like why not make a fensetastic four movie based on like that introduction of Galactus. You know you could, you could really do that that that little short arc. Marvel has so many famous like three four issue. Yes, but I do think that post MCU, post what they call the Infinity Saga, if you're going to make an animated movie or a series of animated movies, that is a place where you could do something really spectacular that would really make you stand out, that is also already accessible to people who love the MCU. Do you have any that you would love to see?
Speaker 2: I would love to see a bunch of X Men stuff. Like take any of the of the great arcs of the Claremont era and just directly translate them as Guardian Wars, which is the X Men and the New Mutants getting wrapped up in a bunch of skullduggery and Asgard would be an absolutely like incredible animated series. Avengers under Siege, the famous Roger Stern arc in which the Masters of Evil break into the Avengers mansion and basically lay waste to it, and it's up to Wasp and Black Knight and Captain America basically to like take it back. Hercules gets his fucking ass dump, you know, Like you know, Ultimate Spider Man is kind of like a no brainer, Like like the early Ultimate Ultimate spider Man arcs are like if you made a two hour Ultimate Spider Man like movie that's based like right off of the first like twenty four issues of that comic, I think that's that would absolutely hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that there's like a really into when you brought Roger Sterne as well. Like I was just thinking of some comics that like so something that I think a lot of people really especially like people our age people a bit older. The Bob Late and Iron Man stuff where Tony's like struggling with addiction. Yeah, that's not really gonna they touch on it, ay the tiniest knots in the MCU because they know people care about it. But imagine if you made an animated movie that was actually just about like Tony at his lowest but kind of coming through it. Like DC has broached that R rated boundary. You know, they've done the Dark Night Returns, They've done like these different things. You could use this as a space. I do think the most likely first version of it is seeding stuff. Whether you are going to do something, they'll be really cool like that Jason Aarron Like, uh see Wakanda and Die the Secret Invasion Wakanda, Like that's a great art that's really visually interesting that you could really use to set up the Secret Invasion show. Right, that's gonna happen. So I think seeding stuff is really what they're going to be doing. But just now talking to you, I just realized that something that's really cool is it could be a space for stories from the comics that we're probably never going to see in live action, a little bit more deep cut, a little bit darker.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying born again again, you know, it's a great exactly.
Speaker 3: But then again I realized I just jinxed myself because my worst nightmare would be like a trouble animated series about like sexy slight, aren't they And I'm like, that's.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think they'll ever. For instance, in live action, people are like, oh, Craven's Last Hunt, Cravens Last Hunt, like that is such a dark comic. Like rereading it, I was shocked.
Speaker 3: How but it would be an amazing animated.
Speaker 2: But as an animated it would be really really really cool. And also like because you know, listen, we'll probably never well who knows, but like a very very clean and easy way to do like why not do the classic saga of the of the Alien Suit? Like do that do that? You know Peter comes back from Secret Wars and then the whole thing like that was such an iconic run.
Speaker 3: I do think that one of the things that people don't really I talk like, I'm always thinking about this, and I do think one of the things. The reason why that X Men cartoon, the ninety Spider Man cartoon, I think the reason that those really spoke to people even when they were just kids, right, is because they did these really really really really really really really simplified versions of these iconic arcs, whether it's you know, the Phoenix, whether it's the Black Suit. Like, they're not great, but you're taking from these stories that have so much depth. So to be able to actually do like a Phoenix saga, a true Phoenix saga, or a true you know, black Suit Spider Man, but maybe the kind of I mean, obviously we know it was Sony, but like into the Spider Verse just opened up the idea of what animation can be in these stories. And I feel like there's so many lessons there for everyone to learn. And I think that I definitely thought what if it was? I had quite a low expectations because for a long time, my understanding of Marvel animation was those terrible motion comics they would make out of arcs, which were like really upsetting to me. I have like a real aversion to a motion comic. I think it's because they used to sell that Watchmen motion comic in every comic shop for like twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's just like just make the animated series or don't don't ease, but don't do this. But but to be honest with you, I think that that was.
Speaker 3: What it blew me away. Yea, yeah, because that was like that was it was like a step they I wasn't expecting the animation to be so good. I feel like they found this really dynamic, unique way of telling these stories that represents the characters in a way that you know them, but that has a lot of fun out there stuff that you need from what if. So I'm really excited to see what that next step is and how they could bring like I don't want them to get stuck in one animation style. I think the idea of having multiple animation styles potentially inspired by some of these great artists that we love, or just doing something totally different than fits the story. I think that's just a really exciting next step and maybe even a world. You know, Disney is known for releasing animated movies, Disney picks up, maybe there's a world where we could one day see like an X Men animated movie in a theater Like that just warms my heart. That idea, that's something I could.
Speaker 2: See up next. In the Hive Mind, I chat with Shang Chi and the Legend and the ten Ring star Simouliu. Hey, guys, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really good man, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. The movie is fantastic. It was an extremely emotional experience as a long time a comic book fan to watch it and congratulations on not only getting the role, but becoming a funko pop and an action figure. When did it become real for you? Like, oh my god, we're doing this? Was it the chemistry read was it the call from from Marvel? Was it the costume fitting?
Speaker 1: I think it was Comic Con.
Speaker 5: I think it was just been you know, cast four days and I was asked to fly down to San Diego and meet everybody. And I mean everybody. I mean we're talking like you know post Endgame. Wow, the like the comic Con that happened. You know, Endgame had literally just come out two months prior. Everyone was like, what is face for? There's all these question marks. Nobody knew what was happening. People speculated, but you know that that was the landscape that I fel So it was a very very exciting year. People from every single upcoming movie, Disney plus project, they all flew in and all of a sudden, I found myself on stage with Angelina.
Speaker 1: Jolie, with Chris Hemsworth.
Speaker 5: With you know, Sebastian Stan Anthony Mackie, like just some of the most famous people on earth and me in in my skinny jeans from.
Speaker 2: Zara Great I mean a great a great outlet.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, no, no, knock on Zara.
Speaker 1: But I mean some of these some of these people were just I.
Speaker 5: Mean they looked like the visage of beauty and then I looked I just like some schmuck that had just shown up out of the blue, like off the street or just stepped on stage randomly. But yeah, just just being there among among everybody really really just hit that home for me.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, it's been so meaningful for me as a you know, Asian American to to to watch this happen. Are you, like, how much are you of allowing yourself to feel that, to feel like, what an amazing moment, especially after a tough year it's been for for Asians in the West, like for to be that representative figure.
Speaker 1: I am a I.
Speaker 5: Think of myself as a representative figure, and I think it it is a wonderful moment for our community. Because we finally, you know, get to have a lead superhero. We get to watch a movie where that you know, the title is an Asian is an Asian name, and I think that's so incredible. But but further than that, I think there's also you know, many other Asian characters in our story that you know, are are you know, equally bad ass, have have amazing arcs and their own dimensionality and nuance, which which is incredible. But uh yeah, I mean I've never I've never kind of shied away from from being one of you know, some somebody who's who's outspoken about that.
Speaker 1: I think, Uh, I owe a lot of my career too, to you know.
Speaker 5: The gates opening and Asian creatives being allowed to tell their stories, from Kim's Convenience to you know, Nora from Queen's Fresh off the Boat. I mean, without the community, there literally is none of none of those things. So I'm very happy to be one of their, one of the many representatives and to and to speak out about about issues that I think affect us.
Speaker 1: Our communities come out in a in a massive way for us.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a massive.
Speaker 1: Anecdotally just what I see on the street, it's what I it's what I see all my friends blowing up my phone and saying, hey, I'm going to watch it again and again and again. I think people really are rooting for the success of this movie, and it's and it's just absolutely so touching to see the community all galvanized.
Speaker 2: It's an absolutely terrible day for for your enemies and for the enemies of anybody who doubted this film. Uh, it's it's crushing right now. It must it must feel me that you're doing it. The movie is as a hit.
Speaker 5: I mean, it feels it feels great. It feels great to share it with the world and and to see them to feel their response to it because we've been sitting on this thing for for so long. We filmed it, you know, a year ago in Sydney, and I mean we we we knew that we.
Speaker 1: Had something special.
Speaker 5: I knew right off the bat that Destin was a it was a very special filmmaker. But yeah, I mean, I mean, I couldn't have imagined the way that, you know, the series of events that that would have played out to lead us here. It's been tough, you know, for the whole world, and for for a number of reasons. So I'm really not the only one who's going through it. But uh yeah, it's it's, it's it's it's a happy ending to a movie that almost almost didn't get made.
Speaker 2: Have you allowed yourself to like eat a carb yet? Uh, you're training for this. Uh you've talked about it. But must have been incredible, very arduous physicality throughout these the various scenes in this movie. What was that like doing the real hardcore action fight scenes.
Speaker 1: It was it was really cool.
Speaker 5: It was you know, it was it was like preparing for a season of professional athletics. It was like training five six hours every day, you know, with the stunt team and working everything from like the range of motion, the flexibility to explosiveness, fight choreography, martial arts.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean it was.
Speaker 5: It was as much of a of a martial arts boot camp as you could get.
Speaker 1: And I often just kind of come home and collapse.
Speaker 5: On the bed and like literally sleep at like eight pm because I was so tired. I literally had no energy to even like eat dinner. I mean, that's the that's I think, what it what it takes, you know. Yeah, we had so many action sequences and we had a very very high bar for what those sequences we're gonna be and what they're going to do for our movies.
Speaker 1: So you know, I wanted to do as much as I possibly could.
Speaker 5: I knew that that would benefit the movie if we didn't constantly cut away to stunt people.
Speaker 1: So wherever I could, I asked to do the shots.
Speaker 5: I asked to put in the work because you know, you don't get an opportunity like this every day, and I just I just wanted to embrace it as much as I could.
Speaker 2: There's so many fun set pieces in the film, whether it's the bus fight and fighting the outside of the building. Do you have a personal favorite it, you know, whether it's a fight scene, an action scene, or just a quieter moment that that you just find yourself thinking about and returning to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I personally actually really love the fight between Shang Chi and his dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just that whole journey.
Speaker 5: And it's not the most intricately choreograph like, it doesn't take place on the side of a building or a bus us, but it is so emotionally raw and I and I remember, you know, being there with with Tony Lung and in that moment and and going through that scene and feeling just the very real emotions that were that I think we were both feeling.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I think when I watch it back, I still get chills because it is so much more than than a fight, you know, and sure by the numbers as a fight, it's it's relatively straightforward.
Speaker 1: One guy's got a stick, one guy's got two rings.
Speaker 5: But but there's just you know, there's just a world of like trauma and grief and anger and just being hurled at each other. This father and son that are just so desperate to connect and and so desperate to love again. It's it's really you know, I think I find it really sad and heartbreaking but up but also just like so human and and so watchable.
Speaker 2: Spoiler Shong is now in possession of the ten Rings at the end of the film, Can you tell us a little bit about like what they do or where they come from? And if you can't, do you know, do you know like the origins of these mysterious and powerful items?
Speaker 3: No, what.
Speaker 1: My journey.
Speaker 5: My journey is exactly the same as my characters, which is, oh, there are those giant ass rings that my dad's been wielding around for the last however long.
Speaker 1: Oh shoot, now they're on my arm. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess I'll just I guess I'll just carry these around until someone tells me what they're doing or what they're what they were. You know, I honestly have no idea, But I do know that that you know, Kevin and the rest of the folks at Marble do, and they will, they will craft a very very incredible story around it when the when the time is right, which may or may not involve me.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: What's it like to see yourself now as a Funko pop as an action figure? I also have your action figure on it on the shelf behind me. What is it? That must be surreal? What is it like?
Speaker 1: Surreal? You described it?
Speaker 5: It definitely throws me for a loop every time I see it. I mean, I was a big action figure guy when I was when I was little, except we couldn't afford to buy any action figures full price, so my parents just bought whatever was that yard sales, you know, all over the place. So I had this like mismatched group of random action figures from random universes. None of them were ever Asian, not a single one, So it's it's pretty cool that we have we.
Speaker 1: Have some now not just one, but yeah, many characters.
Speaker 5: And I just think that represents represents a lot for a kid to be able to be able to see themselves and that the heroes that they play with and that they, you know, use their imagination for, and I think in a way shows them that anything is possible.
Speaker 2: You mentioned just the outpouring of of fan reviews and feedback and stuff. Is there and has been anything that that particularly touched you in terms of people saying, it's incredible to see this see myself represented on any number of the characters, by any number of the characters that I see on screen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I mean that's that's definitely very special for me to hear. And I've and I've heard it a couple of times, you know, I've I've read it in reviews, I've I've had people texted to me, and that's always incredibly touching. What I like, too, is that a lot of people will say, I didn't you know, people, people maybe outside of the Asian community, will say, I didn't go in expecting to like this movie, but I came out of it with a whole you know, I came out loving it. It was one of my favorites, you know, movies in the MCU, and I came out of it with a whole new understanding. And it means that it means that this movie is more than just about being made for Asian people by Asian people, that this movie can also be a bridge.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's a bridge between cultures, it's a bridge between languages. It's you know, it really is an invitation to everybody to come and share in our joys and our sorrows and everything in between, you know, and our culture and our language and all of the things that make us proud.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I certainly hope that it continues to do that.
Speaker 2: Uh, if you could just imagine something, I know you can't tell us specifically, but where would you what kind of like adventures would you like to see Schunk show up on next? Like are we going to see him punching a variant Fanos in the face with the ten rings? Like what would be a fun will be a fun adventure for Stung to go on?
Speaker 5: I kind of hope, I kind of hope that he does more you know, grounded stuff, you know, Like I think the way that the rings of such a massive power set and I and I just hope that it doesn't come at the cost of really really cool action sequences because because you know, one of the things that really worked with our movie is that, you know, Sean, Sean doesn't really have superpowers.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's got to fly. He can't just fly through the scaffolding.
Speaker 5: He's got to like climb, and same thing with the bus, Like he can't just blow the bus in half and you know, or lift the entire but like he's got to really work within the constraints of the physical universe.
Speaker 1: So I would you know, I hope that that happens at least, you know a little bit more.
Speaker 2: He's got to go back to being a valet. He's just you know, it's got to apologize for taking time off and and go back to parking the cars.
Speaker 1: Exactly like San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for taking the time seeming really appreciate it, and congratulations on the success of the film. It's been amazing to watch.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, really appreciate it. It's great talking.
Speaker 2: When we're back, Rosie and I will enter the End Game. Welcome to the Endgame, where me and Rosie get to play a game, sometimes with a guest, this time just with each other. And the game today is Top fives, in which we list our top five apocalypses in pop culture across the board. We have decided, because we make the rules that dystopian fiction is also allowed, we can do dystopius. Yes, it's so, Rosie, would you like to go first?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, So I have very specific reasons for it.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: My first one is Night of the Comet, which is a one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I call the chill apocalypse because it's like that one you can just be like in the mall or like watching a movie and you just like occasionally kill like a slow zombie. I used to work in a cinema and I used to definitely like think that I was the main character from that movie. I'll be like, yeah, I'll just come out of the middle of the night. If there's an apocalypse, I'll be cool. Next is a Kira, just because I mean I just want to be cool and live in neo Tokyo. So obviously post destruction of Tokyo, very dramatic. People are getting mutant powers. There's cool gangs everywhere. Everyone's riding a sick motorcycle. I love Akira, so that would definitely be high up on my list.
Speaker 2: Tank Girl, oh a tank Girl movies or the comic.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the movie just because it fits better because it's like post a Comet. There's like a drought and a water sore. It's so tech again, just be cool driving around the tank looking cool, having a cool lesbian friend, like living life. Next up is my comics one, which is Age of Apocalypse. I don't think it would be like particularly enjoyable to be there, but like it's very epic. Yeah, it's a lot of like Shenanigans. Yeah, there are a lot of so like legions killed Charles Xavier instead of Magneto, and that means Apocalypse comes earlier and things are going bad, mutants are running right. Hopefully I would be a mutant in that world, I guess if I get to pick, because otherwise humans are getting killed. But just like cool, I mune Uprising stuff and my last one, which is definitely more dystopian, but we agree that works. Escape from New York that's the Yeah, maybe Escape from LAF. I want to do like some surfing, but I'm bad at surfing.
Speaker 2: So dope, that's my Donald hung out with Kurt.
Speaker 3: Russell, have the sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Here's here's Donald pleasance in Halloween. Now now, okay, those are all great, So I'm gonna say my number first one is Twenty eight Days Later, the movie which kind of revitalized the zombie genre, you know, along with Max Brooks's uh it was the name of the books, along with Max Brooks's World war Z, and introduced as zombies into the pop cultural cannon. That movie, so it was produced, It was filmed before nine to eleven, but came out, like I want to say, a month later, right around there, and it seemed so of a time of that time. And I remember seeing in the theater and just being like horrified and blown away and also just like ge chanted by, like the low fineness of it, like the kind of gorilla filmmaking London, completely like abandoned. They filmed it at like six am on Sundays when there was the least amount of people that could be around, and it just looks incredible. Next, I'm Gonna go Time runs out of the Jonathan Hickman storyline that ran in New Avengers and Avengers and is about a version of which I'm sure we'll see in the MCU, which is about various multiversal realities crashing into the main Earth reality and the kind of moral lines the heroes have to cross in order to deal with this threat. Next, Children of Men, which is like a prophetic movie, like if you watching it at the time, it's one of those very rare feelings, you know. It was a Christmas movie. Weirdly enough, I remember seeing it and thinking, this feels like the world in ten, fifteen and or twenty years, and lo and behold it happened. Days of Future passed the comic arc. It's crazy you mentioned earlier in the podcast, like these little two and three mini arcs, that was like the norm back then when it was harder to keep track of comics, and it was it was just harder for people to like keep up with them and know what was going on, so you couldn't really stretch a story out over ten twelve issues, you know, not until like Secret Wars and stuff. But the two so it's X Men one forty one and one forty two, and it's just is the cover of one, which is like old Wolverine and Kitty Pride Kate Pride standing in front of a wanted poster of all the X Men, and it just says like slain over there over their faces is just It's one of the most referenced and iconic covers in comics history. I love it. And then finally Armageddon, which I think is the most entertaining right wing movie ever made. It is about, for those of you don't know, is about a massive comment that's gonna hit Earth and the conceit is. Yes we have NASA, Yes we have like astronauts, Yes we have like our massive military machine. But the only people who can deal with this are the oil workers, oil company workers. And what do they want in order to deal with this? They want to never pay taxes again, that's what they want, So that is the movie. Also, it opens with iconic scene of like Bruce Willis like hitting golf balls at a green peace boat. Again, the politics of this movie are horrific, but I enjoy watching it. What are your top five apocalypse movies about dystopian fiction. I almost did Mad Max, but it seemed like that apocalypse was too far in the past, like that was it had already happened, maybe one hundred years ago or something.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: So I these are our top fives? What are your top fives? Get at us, tweeted us, post at us, let us know what your top five apocalypses are. Well, that's it for our show today on behalf of Rosie and myself. Thank you for listening. Please tune in again wherever you get your podcast. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by me and Sandy Gerard. Caroline Reston and Carlton Gillespie are are consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is by David Grinbaum foks. At chapter four, thank you to Brian Vasquez for our theme music. See you next time.