Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's everyone doing?
Speaker 3: Still recovering from Thanksgiving? Not gonna lie?
Speaker 1: Yeah you had a house ful?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: We have a house mess and then but yeah, I mean I kind of always have a house full, just because we have a big family. We didn't host the big event.
Speaker 2: We just oh you didn't. No, you went to someone else's home.
Speaker 3: We generally host Christmas and my sister in law host Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: So still and Cortney, you drove, We drove, drove.
Speaker 1: My son passed his driving test on Monday and we left Tuesday, so we drove up to northern California and he drove the first three hours.
Speaker 2: How did he do?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 3: Just right up that five freeway, it's a nice straight line.
Speaker 1: He did the grape vine. He did absolutely great. I was just sitting there my lap covered in dogs, chatting away, and then it was my tre and I was like, oh, I was kind of hoping that he would love it so much that he would want to try the whole way, but no, I had to take my turn. But it was great. We stayed at Cavola Point, which is gorgeous. You know that it used to be for Baker just over the bridge in Saucelito. They're super dog friendly, so we brought the dogs and had such a great And it still.
Speaker 3: Feels like homped me up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you grew up up there too, right, daf.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did. I grew up in Berkeley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we looked at UC Berkeley. We went and walked through really Berkeley. We walked around Stamford. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to skateboard and run around there. My dad was going to school there, so we kind of like were two kids running around. It was our backyard all over, going up the camp and neely, just sneaking into lecture halls, that kind of stuff you do as a kid.
Speaker 1: It was fun. Yeah, my mom used to live there, so we lived in Male Valley. My mom used to live in Berkeley. So many men, right, I'm always surprised. We went to Stanford Shopping Center to meet my step mom for lunch, and it's so different, Like I couldn't even recognize where we used to go. The whole parking lot is stores now. It seems like the only mall that's still thriving a lot of development. The bigger going.
Speaker 3: Back to where your childhood was or where your memories where, and everything's changed.
Speaker 2: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 3: I definitely have that out of body, like I don't recognize it feeling when I go back home. Have you guys been back to Santa Clarita since we shot in Santa Clarita. Well, we drove through twice and it's but like, have you tried to like find your way around. We used to drive to the sets like on autopilot. We knew our way so well. We drove there all the time.
Speaker 2: And built up a lot of those warehouse built up all those warehouses. Like back when we were shooting Melrose, we were the only really ones. I mean there were some on I forget that street, but yeah, they've built up a lot of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just found it like, oh, just it doesn't seem like I should be not able to recognize it, but it just feels so different and new.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that Marie calendar is still there. I been for tuna salad.
Speaker 3: All right, we had a research research.
Speaker 1: God, I know, wouldn't that be sweet? Now, Daphne, what did you do?
Speaker 2: I went to Texas. I went to Dallas. My brother married a lovely woman from Dallas, so we were there with her family. We had a roast turkey and a fried turkey, because you do that in Dallas.
Speaker 1: I guess, Wow, how was it?
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't need me. I don't need turkeys. The mom made sherry, made peacampi and all kinds of candies, like just she made them, you know, bars and like caramel and all this stuff. Was like there's lots of forms of sugar that I never knew about. Amazing, amazing. Yeah, it was really fun. It was very different. It was really great.
Speaker 1: My cousin made sweet potatoes and there was like an inch of sweet potatoes and then maybe two inches then the equal amount of brown sugar, butter and pecans. Wow, like I'm pretending this is a vegetable and it's the best one I've had in my entire life. Like the offer is pie, and I was like, what pie could be better than the sweet potatoes?
Speaker 2: I know, Yeah, it's really true.
Speaker 3: Well, I do feel like it's like the season for it, and I do feel like I'm still recovering from everything I over ate on Thanksgiving. But I rolled right into Christmas season already, I'm like, oh, you know, my god, game on.
Speaker 2: It's literally like baking. And the day all the Turkey designs came down and I helped Lindsay put up all the Christmas and you know, all over Christmas trees and Barkley things, and I'm like, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on is Christmas.
Speaker 1: Mine's already up. I put mine up three weeks ago. But I did put out like the little trees and the other decor. And then I had a dinner party last night and everybody brought me out, just pointing it out again without you, and I did realize that I would hear about it, but but you mentioned it any do it. I mentioned it anyway because they brought me points stadi Is and it was so lovely. So we will get something on the books so that next time I mention it and you guys then mention it, actually.
Speaker 2: We'll say, yeah, it was so great.
Speaker 3: All right. So on that note, we have another recapped today, our Reach episode sixteen, Episode sixteen.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say this, Daphne and I both make out with someone in this episode, just just putting that out there, getting the interest up.
Speaker 3: It happens it is really sex in this show. Yeah, I think right about now, So if this episode was airing November eighteenth and nineteen ninety two, I think I was actually filming my first episodes as Sydney in November of nineteen ninety two, So right around now, I was probably filming Wow. And the only reason I sort of remember this well because Sydney's gona appear in a episodes, But so I remembered that after I was done with my two episodes, I was like giving a Christmas gift or a Christmas something to Josie and and like I was just I think I was probably baking at that time, and I was like, oh, do my little Christmas stuff. But I feel like I it was right before the Holidays that I was doing these two episodes anyway, So while you guys are having fun making out and being on the show, I was like, you know, hiking.
Speaker 2: Out and fighting. It's like, we're gonna see this, but this, this like most gorgeous guy is after me, and all I do is yell at him and push him away and like a million different forms, like every time he makes an offering, I'm like, yeah, no, I mean I just can't I'm like, I hope she like gives in soon.
Speaker 1: Now you know how I feel with Billy?
Speaker 2: I know, do you not have eyes?
Speaker 1: I felt exact same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe's kind of a tough nut.
Speaker 1: Us be a female fantasy that these gorgeous guys that were like, no, no, no, because our audience was primarily female, it must be these gorgeous guys guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the way, first you turned down another gorgeous guy before you turn down, right, Jake. So let's get to the episode.
Speaker 3: All right, So episode sixteen. The title of this one is The Whole Truth. This is directed by Charles Braverman, and it opens in Alison and Billy's apartment at night. Billy walks out of his bedroom and tells Alison that he's headed to Shooters for night out, and seeing as he's dressed in a sport coat with something like a Hawaiian print shirt underneath, it looks like he's really ready for good night out, and he tells Alison he doesn't want her to come along because he's planning to hopefully, you know, pick up a girl. So she all right jokingly calls him Fido. He barks, and he leaves, but not before Alison sniffs him and teases him that he has sent it himself for his night out in something called love Spice.
Speaker 1: Do you think that was an actual cologne name where I was naming it?
Speaker 2: I think the writers might.
Speaker 1: I think it was a very bad, I mean, very imaginary smell. But you know, Andrew is like, so I bark like a dog and I smell bad.
Speaker 3: He's like, bye, going out anyway, I got this.
Speaker 1: Exactly like this handsome.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so funny how these writers create Andrew's shoe to be like this duft is at times like this puppy dog, little kid. And all the women were just like, oh my god, Andrew, I'm crazy for him. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he tells Alison don't wait up, and when the door closes behind him, he sneakily retrieves a bottle of champagne and two glasses hidden in the bushes right outside his apartment door. He takes those items straight upstairs to Joe's apartment and knocks on the door. She answers, and Billy asks Joe if she's interested in a little champagne and conversation, and then she says her. He's like, oh what and uh, he ignores that. But anyway, and you know, do you want to hang out? And she says, no, Bill, I was planning to do nothing tonight. And he's like, well, let's do it together. Let's do nothing together.
Speaker 2: He and I love how she keeps calling him billious so we all know him as Billy and it's like Bill. And then later she calls Michael Mike. Thanks Mike.
Speaker 3: She's got her own thing going on.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: And so he says, let's do nothing together and justice now some other time Bill and closes the door in his face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that, Daphne. You never say who is it? Or look through the people. You just didn't notice that your door. You did not I noticed it. I'm like, you just swing your door open to anybody who know.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 1: I remind woman with a frightening pass just opens her door.
Speaker 2: I know. And if she's really from a frightening past, she should have like like nine locks on the inside of the door, right like every movie you see in New York City, they all have like all these locks. Well, she gets in trouble with a lot of guys, she should have had locks on that door at.
Speaker 1: Least say who is it? That would be nice.
Speaker 3: So then we cut too from there shooters that night, where Jake and Billy are drinking that bottle of champagne together. Billy has decided to drink it with Jake instead, and Jake tells Billy his line to Joe about doing nothing together was really lame, and then he tells Jake that he's giving up on Joe, and he warns Jake that women.
Speaker 2: Like that will never ever give.
Speaker 3: You a chance, and Jake sniffs the air and says, well, maybe Joe turned you down because of that.
Speaker 1: After Shape, I think Billy's having trouble taking responsibility. Women like that won't give anyone a chance.
Speaker 3: Not me, not you, Jake, don't even think about it, because what do you have going for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I stink, But what do you have going for Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you have? And don't count the six pack because I have one too.
Speaker 3: So then we cut to Michael and Jane's apartment. They are kissing in bed and the phone rings. Jean answers it, and after a brief conversation, she hangs up and tells Michael that she no longer has a job. That was her ex boss, telling her that the clothing shop has been sold and that Jane should come by in the morning and pick up her personal stuff.
Speaker 1: Interesting way to shoot it. Right, they're naked in bed. They're clearly either they've just had sex or they're about to have sex, and she gets fired. I thought that's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: She could be making coffee and get the call and they said.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe there was like an editorial direction, like, remember, we're spicing up this damn show, so I want them to start naked in bed and right, you know what I mean, Like it could be like a random, you know, call or something, but it's like, let's start her in bed or end them in bed.
Speaker 1: Maybe there was a scene before this and they cut it.
Speaker 3: And it's also I think maybe a pre to what their storyline is going to be, where they're having conversations about trying to have a baby and trying to get pregnant again and like that. It does seem to be a theme in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: You're always Then we're back with Alison and Billy in their apartment in the morning. Billy's in the kitchen. He's looking for aspirin in the cupboard and Allison comes in the kitchen dressed for work, tells Billy he looks miserable. He tells her it's his tooth acting up again, and she says, you know, you should see a dentist now it'll go away. He says, but is it swollen, and Allison says, yeah, maybe it is. He should make an appointment with doctor Estrin, who's the best dentist in La.
Speaker 1: She says, such a sweet scene. I think it's such a sweet scene. And all I thought was, yeah, you can tell we're dating because I realized sweet way, I'm like, Alison, hanced yourself.
Speaker 2: You say to him. Allison says to Billy, you look like a mess. But what she really meant to say is she was adorable.
Speaker 1: You're adorable.
Speaker 2: Because he was adorable.
Speaker 3: So yeah, she's taking good care of him and getting him a doctor's appointment. And he ends up saying, going, thanks mom, of course, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: She has the best done just in the city. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then we got to the courtyard. During the day, Joe is lying on the ground taking photos of Jake's motorcycle for her portfolio. Jake walks up and jokes that he charges two dollars a shot and Joe tells Jake he has a beautiful bike, especially from the pipes up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did a nice little crane shot or something. Did you notice that when I come up, I'm lying down on the ground that I come up and I go it comes up, especially from the pipes side.
Speaker 1: I feel like you were doing that a lot. I feel like that's something you laying down to get a shot on the show. Don't you feel like because I saw that, I was like.
Speaker 2: That or like climbing a ladder. It was always so difficult for her to get an angle.
Speaker 3: How do we make this interesting? Let's put Joe somewhere on the ground or upside that oily bike.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they put a bag. I felt like that bag was there to rest your head on. You think probably donore you know all the track.
Speaker 2: I probably rabbed it. They probably had nothing for me. And you know, you're always when you're the one lying down in the dirt or something. I've done tons of like you know, Lifetime movies, and they're always like you're running around the dark and I'm just like, could I get a little padding please? I know I'm about to blow him away or we're gonna have a fight.
Speaker 1: But and so you find I don't have to be uncomfortable while I'm killing him.
Speaker 3: And that career is pretty filthy, like yeah, you know, everybody walks through it, and yeah, I know instruction and yeah.
Speaker 1: Didn't you think this is spicy? You were spiky? Yeah, full of double on taundres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, And that's that she's starting to play with him, you know. Yeah, so she like gets she says something double on tundra like especially from the pipes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then he goes, you want to go for a ride and she's like no, she.
Speaker 3: Says, yeah, he asked, do you want to go for a ride, and she says she was planning on doing nothing today. So Jake takes that opportunity to suggest they do nothing together. And then that sort of is that cute smile between him.
Speaker 2: Because it's like, oh, it worked for him and then the other gorgeous guy in the bed.
Speaker 3: So then because we got to the street out on the motorcycle, Joe and Jaker sharing, Joe is loving it and Jake warns her watch out, you could swallow a bug and uh. Then they pull over to the side of the mountain road overlooking a rocky ravine and Jake asks Joe where she learned to ride?
Speaker 1: Like that, do you think for a second that Jake would let a woman drive his motorcycle. I mean, I liked it, but I thought, wow, that seemed out of character. Also, seems were super tight.
Speaker 3: And she was in the front like she was riding and he was behind she instead of Yeah, So that was surprising that the first time we see them on the bike together, well.
Speaker 2: Wasn't they doing it? Like were his arms around on the handles as well? I felt like he was like like trice like bike like training a child or something. I mean, like he wasn't just on the back. But maybe I felt.
Speaker 3: Like I have to look at like later later year, behind him and he's he's riding, he's steering. Yeah, but it seemed like if you're in front, I mean, you tell me you're you're the one who had a motorcycle. Yeah, but if you're in front, it seems like you're you're in control, like you're yeah, you're responsible sort of.
Speaker 2: But I think the way we got to look at this again because the way that he was, I feel like he was in control because I could be sitting on the long seat and then put my legs up on the there's the you know, little I don't know he could have somehow like a father would do with the child. But I have to look at it again because it would be very weird to put me on in front if she wasn't right.
Speaker 3: She doesn't really were, But he says, where'd you learn to write like that? And she goes prison joking, and then he says, I.
Speaker 1: Went one second, Daphne, where did you learn to write a motorcycle? Did you know how to ride a motorcycle?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is yeah. I was gonna share all this. So this starting to ride on the show got me interested, and Grant and I on the weekends, I would go with him and ride on the back, so he would I would ride with him with who else went? The Teamsters and Tony went. We had a bunch of us, sometimes maybe Greg Lacova or makeup guy, but we would go for these rides. Later, remember Jerry, she got a bike, but I loved it. But I was like, I want my own bike. So I went to Pasadena City College, took a weekend motorcycle safety course, got my own little sportster Harley and had the handlebars, got the high handlebars, added some chrome, and then I would go out and we'd all go up, but i'd have my own bike.
Speaker 3: But I got interested.
Speaker 2: On this show, so I didn't do it before, and I really just loved it. I just loved it. I had it for years because when Laura came on the show and then later she would go on with us with Grant, and it was really it was really fun and it was something that bled into my real life.
Speaker 1: And I would just like to point out, as you guys are talking about high, I haven't had you over dinner. Never even knew about these rides. Apparently everybody okay, busted. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Jake and Joe are looking out at the very desolate view and they both share that they like to be alone, and Joe reveals that when she was young, she spent a lot of time alone and learned to love it. He says he wants to show her a cool part of the road up ahead, but Joe says she has an interview at Wilsher and hunt for a photo assistant job. Jake says he'll take her there. I just want to point out the dynamic once again. The last scene he says oh, and and she says, no, I don't want to do and then turns up day takes her for a ride and she goes, oh, I want to you know, I want to take you off for a beautiful another beautiful ride, and she goes, no, I I God something meeting so and but he keeps this whole episode, you know, yeah, And then he tries and things get even worse.
Speaker 2: So mine heart to get Jesus, I was never like that in real life.
Speaker 1: But I.
Speaker 3: Move in.
Speaker 2: Here's frush so funny.
Speaker 1: We're acting your pants off all right, backing your pants on right.
Speaker 3: And the lawyer tells Matt that the Halfway House is offering his job back, but they're not offering anything else. She says the Halfway House won't admit that they have fired Matt because he's gay, and they won't discuss a monetary settlement, and Matt feels like that sends the message that he was imagining the whole thing. He does admit that he misses the Halfway House and he thinks about the people there every day, not to mention the Burgerstan job is getting kind of old. His lawyer says she thinks that Matt should reject this offer and force the Halfway House to do the right thing. And so Matt agree telling his lawyer reject the offer, and I am up for the fight, he says, which is very.
Speaker 1: Doug So I like that this happened, Like he's like, no, this is the right thing to do. I'm doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: And they know they have a strong case.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we cut to the fashion work room during the day, where Jane has gone by the to pick up her things and the new designer, Kay Beacon played by Sidney has.
Speaker 1: Been in everything tough as nails in.
Speaker 2: This Oh she's I mean that's putting it nicely. She's horrible.
Speaker 3: She was poopooing everything she sees and Kay gives Jane a backhanded compliment on her dress and tells and Jane tells Kate, oh, I design all my own dresses, and another backhanded sort of cases everything about Jane's dress is actually knockoff of her designs, but it's okay. Everyone does it and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and it comes on really strong, and she says to Jane, well, at least you used my ideas in a smart way. See immediately sort of annoyed. But then Kay turns around and asks, Jane, do you think you could do better if you used my new ideas under my supervision? And because I guess k Beekont is some hot shot designer, Jane is intrigued, and Hay tells her to come by the studio in the morning at nine. So long, Jane, Mancy, you see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jane is so nice and you're just going like, oh, she's being treated so like crap by this woman. But she takes the job and she, you know, obviously.
Speaker 3: Sees it as an opportunity, but like, wow, this is going to be a challenge to work with this personality.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope it's getting better. But that's why there's been so much abuse in creative industries, right, because we're so desperate for a shot that people on the top have been allowed to behave very badly. I think it's turning a little bit like there has been a shift. But we've been called though on our set, but we've all been on sets where people were allowed to behave very very badly. But every everybody wants to be in the industry so badly that they put up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plus there. It kind of goes along with this narrative that you know, the genius, Oh we can't you know, he's moody or she's just like that, or there are two when as if that's supposed to be an excuse.
Speaker 1: There were so many producers in our day who would throw things and yell and scream, and they were famous for being awful, and it was sort of like, oh, they're so awful, and I think now there's finally been a comeuppance and that doesn't fly anymore.
Speaker 2: Not ex cell phones cell phones.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, that's true.
Speaker 3: So we go for pumpkin pie once at somebody, you threw a pumpkin pie, like out of anger, out of behavior?
Speaker 2: Oh please, that's a whole other podcast. Are you waiting? Me threw a pumpkin pie? But I was such a moron that I didn't. It wasn't baked, it was raw. It was a tofu pumpkin pie, so it was all full of the sloppy orange tofu and I just threw it, hit the wall, dented it and it slid down orange and I'm like my boyfriend at the time goes, you might want to bake it first. Its time because that's gonna be a mess.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, all right, little bad behavior from daff Oh yeah, nice ended up in his orange stain on your own wall.
Speaker 2: Maybe you guys should keep the bumpers on my crib over here when I start to go off in the future and I really want to expose everything, Okay, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. All right, So Jake and Joe, we cut to their on the bike. They're arriving at Joe's destination. She gets off the bike, thanks Jake for the ride and turns him down when he offers to wait until she's done, because he says, you know, I'll wait and then I'll take you for the best tacos in town afterwards. No thanks, she says, turning him down one more time. Enough culture shock for one day. I'll take a cab. So she heads into a pond chop where Joe hands over a bracelet, asking to the appraiser how much she can get for it. Salesman inspects the bracelet says he will offer full market value of seven thousand dollars. She says it was worth more, but he says this is what happens. So he asks for a photo. I d Joe tells him that she searches in her purse. I forgot my wallet in the car, but he's not having it, so Joe has to leave the store without getting that money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she paid twelve. She said she paid twelve four years ago. And I'm just saying this because there's another scene coming up at a pawnshop and you just see the numbers. So he says seven.
Speaker 1: She's like no, and I just looked up because I don't know why this fascinates me. But in today's dollars, that would be sixteen, nine hundred and six dollars in twenty.
Speaker 3: Sixteen, which sixteen seven seven. It was fourteen back then, all right, so that's twelve a lot from a pawn shop too. It seems like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That didn't look like it didn't look like a pawn shop. I thought it looked like a jeweler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first one was a jeweler.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a jeweler.
Speaker 2: It goes into a pawnshop next. But they all play that numbers game, you know, they go low, you go high, and you're supposed to meet in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's always so sad to sell jewelry. It's so much. It's like driving a car off the lot, like this second you buy it, it drops in value so bad, so much Yeah, appreciation.
Speaker 3: H So she's counting on that money, but she does not have an ID to get it.
Speaker 1: She's fluffling, Oh no, I left it. So we know something's going on with the ID right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there looks like she's not exactly in possession of an idea or something, but we're not really sure she's getting.
Speaker 2: What she says is well, I when I go to the bank, I'll bring it back. Like she is used to making up stories and covering. Do you notice that, like she's it just comes out so naturally, which says a lot about Joe, Like yeah, he's like, well I need idea, Well, I'll bring it when I come back from the bank. You know, she just makes up these stories. It's very natural to her.
Speaker 3: She goes out to find that Jake is sitting on his motorcycle outside the shop waiting for her, And Joe comes out and sees Jake sitting there, and she's like, are you following me? She's kind of pissed, and Jake says, hey, I thought you were looking for a photography job just says, well, that's none of your business, and if you want to know something about me, she just ask and Jake offers to bring her home on his motorcycle, and Joe refuses, saying no, I'll find my own way home.
Speaker 2: One of those guys three rejections now, she said, yes, I'll take you up on that.
Speaker 1: I think are we at three or four?
Speaker 2: Let's call this fourth. I think it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of every time.
Speaker 1: So sure the scenes recounting rejections.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, let's get on that.
Speaker 3: He keeps coming back.
Speaker 1: I know that's what I'm saying. I think it's a female fantasy that this guy's.
Speaker 2: So she says, no, I'll find my own way home, like you know.
Speaker 3: So then we cut to Jane and Michael's apartment at night. Michael is porn champagne to toast Jane's new career opportunity is a junior design associate to K Beacon, the hot shot, and then he says, wait, who's k Beacon and Jane explains that Kay Beacon is one of the hottest names in fashion and everyone including her, knocks off K's designs, and I.
Speaker 1: Wonder if they paid attention, if they got feedback about stuff we talked about about. She's always like this beautiful woman is always trying to get his attention. Because such a turnaround in this episode. Right when he's paying attention to her, she's getting busy and he's following her. It was such a nice change.
Speaker 3: Well, it's sort of the story right that she's having this career moment that she's really going after. It looks like it's going to be a challenging career moment for her, but she's like sort of determined to do it. And but Michael, you're right, is like really supportive and loving all throughout. He's like, hey, I'm thrilled for you, and they toast to her new job, and he's he just seems to be really supportive.
Speaker 2: And Michael still hasn't made that turn that character one eighty, you know, which he will be for years to come, but not fully No, uh huh, he's not there yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's super sweet and attentive in this which is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a feeling that turn is very near around.
Speaker 1: Right around the corner, right.
Speaker 3: Around the corner. So then we're back in Joe's apartment during the day, Alison and Joe are eating pizza over the bathroom sink, just a little bit more painting setting.
Speaker 2: We're turning it into it.
Speaker 3: At the beginning, you can't even tell that they're painting. They're just eating the pizza in the bathroom, right, I thought.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's her dark room.
Speaker 1: It's going to be dark, and so we deal right through us. We want to eat it right here in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it just opens up like we've decided pizza and we couldn't wait, and so here we are.
Speaker 1: Because pineapple, pepperoni and goat cheese. You can't trust that that's not good.
Speaker 3: There's something special about that. Allison's ordered it.
Speaker 1: I want to know whose idea was it.
Speaker 3: I don't know this was enjoying.
Speaker 2: It, you guys. Wasn't this era? Maybe it was a few years later, that whole kind of California gourmet pizzas, remember like Rolfame Pucks. So maybe Rugola and go California.
Speaker 1: I don't think that just started.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think that's what this was, but that was this era, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I think you're right, got cheese, remember go Cheese big?
Speaker 3: You know, Rugula, all kinds of just discovering that and they thought the bathroom, that's a perfect place to eat this fancy pizza. But and it's not quite clear what they're doing yet in the bathroom, but they are having a conversation where Alison asks Joe, Hey, where did you meet your ex husband, the one you never talk about? And Joe says, sort of dismissively, matter of factly that they met while she was in college New York doing a project at the end of subject and then Alison, uh, she basically tells Alison, you know, interrogation over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the way she says it is take the light out of my eyes and put the rubber hose away.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, a lot. I guess she has been in jail.
Speaker 3: Just in just did say just no more questions.
Speaker 1: But I love this friendship. Don't you love this friendship? Back?
Speaker 2: Like I've forgotten it? Court to tell you the truth? Did you had so much to.
Speaker 1: Both of us, we forgot it.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, I'm going to reject this hot guy. You're going to reject the hot guy you're living with. Let's be Beth days too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like fast friendship, Like I really it's very sweet, it's very cute. And it's like, imagine moving into a new apartment complex and like finding a great friend that you hang out with and eat pizza in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, right away, I don't have anybody eat pizza in the bathroom with.
Speaker 2: I mean, my apartment isn't even unpacked yet.
Speaker 3: So Allison goes on to ask Joe about her job hunt. Joe says it was total wash out, and Alison is sympathetic, saying she wishes she had a talent like photography, and then Joe shares that her mom was the one who taught her photography and that they had been very close, and Joe abruptly ends that subject. When Allison asks if Joe's mom is still back east, she just says yep. And then the subject of the painting comes up. Allison comments she surprised Michael let Joe paint the bathroom especially black, and Joe starts to apply black paint to the walls and windows. Joe jokes, well, didn't I tell you that I slept with them? Alison believes it for a second before realizing that Joe was joking, and they laughed together and finished painting the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Aha.
Speaker 1: The fact that I looked the By the way, I had to hold that shocked expression for about five minutes.
Speaker 3: Because they want to make sure how slow is Alison?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I'm just realizing. I'm just realizing she may have said that because he's married and you just told us the show before you left a married man. Do you think she was like chiding him, like her like saying, oh, did I tell you I slept with him? Or is that just me going oh, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: No, I think you're just joking like you got you can paint, like.
Speaker 3: That's the way you got what you wanted.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm just saying, all right, married, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Layers I like it.
Speaker 2: Thirty years later, they're so useful. These layers were added.
Speaker 3: And then, speaking of Michael, we cut to the courtyard where he is cleaning the pool, lamenting to Billy that he doesn't get days off, and the new tenant is leaving her paint cans in the trash, and Ronda makes her really only appearance in this episode walks Now.
Speaker 1: Where was she?
Speaker 3: She was just here for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's always hard when you're in the background and you have to time it for your entrance to the scene, you know, because I saw her back there and then you know, you just have to come in. But she's no, I heard all that. But can we just talk about how big and baggy Michael's shirt and Billy's pants, Like they had so much fabric in the nineties and they just made these everything. Just go back and look at it again. His T shirt is hanging down to his knees, Michael's and then Billy's pants are like zoot suit kind of. I don't know it was. I just love that about this show. I'm going, wow, so different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Andrew just didn't care. It's like whatever they put in his room he would just put on. So sometimes it went around. I remember, I think last week he had the pink pants on.
Speaker 2: Well in the overalls with no shirt.
Speaker 3: I think that made no opinion about it.
Speaker 2: Take the case, don't forget the overalls with no shirt. L Oh my god. That was that just creeped me out.
Speaker 3: But then Ronda walks In started defending Joe, saying, well, at least maybe she's just cleaning up a few earth cracks in the paint, and Michael says, well, yeah, she's using black paint, guys, to which Billy responds, at last a little diversity around here. As Ronda exits the scene, it's like, what what did just look at him like you will never get it, will Yeah? She's like, this doesn't even like warrant a line in response, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I'm out, dumb white boy, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gone, and so they h They all turned. As a woman is walking down the stairs, Michael notices she's a locksmith and asks which apartment were you working in, but before she can answer, because obviously she wasn't being paid to action, that's extra yeah, Joe appears at the top of the stairs and tells Michael that the locksmith was changing her lock. My lock, she says. Michael runs up and says, well, as the manager, I'll need a duplicate key, and just as no, no, you won't, and Michael races up the stairs to her door and saying wait, wait, let's let's not get off on the wrong foot here. He then mentions the black paint, saying, I realize it's probably for your dark room. I know you're a photographer, but we should you know, maybe discuss these things first. Just says okay, Mike. As soon as it came Mike, we'll discuss it, okay.
Speaker 2: Mike, Okay, Mike, you go back to Bill and you guys clean the pool and get back to you.
Speaker 1: And I'm trying to remember this, but of course that's true, right, I mean, I've lived in California for so long ago, like as many apartments as New York. But did they always see key?
Speaker 2: You never the super has a key, The super always has a master key room.
Speaker 1: I lived in those big, huge, like Oakwood complexes when I lived in apartments here, and of course they all had master keys. But you didn't think about.
Speaker 3: It well, and you and you're not really allowed to repaint without asking first. So he's Michael saying reasonable things, right, yeah, and he's.
Speaker 1: Trying to be inside. You can't paint the inside.
Speaker 3: Well think, I mean, I think there's like a I don't know.
Speaker 2: It depends on the building. I'm sure it depends on the rules. But black.
Speaker 3: He is trying to be reasonable and just saying, hey, I get it, but maybe just let's discuss it first, and she is just not.
Speaker 2: Think about it. If I'm just putting this together. She wants black paint, and she's locking and changing the locks. I mean, that's big for a little apartment building there, you know, to like, what is she doing in there? You know what I mean? Like, it's his responsibility if she sets the place all fire, So it's you know, she's pushing the boundaries there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so before every week, Michael reminds her, you know, you'll just need to get me a copy of the key, or else you'll have to consider living elsewhere. And she says, all right, I'll get you a copy and closes the door in his space. Yeah, not getting it right now, clearly, No, No, they're bossy pants, that Joe right now. So then we cut to the fashion work room where Jane is there inspecting clothing and Kay corrects Jane's work, telling her that she's doing things all wrong. She missed this, she missed that the sleeve pleat is crooked. Everything needs to be perfect.
Speaker 2: Kay says.
Speaker 3: Jane says, okay, I understand, and Kay scoffs at her and sort of sarcastically says, oh, because you're a designer too, totally condescending, and Kay says Jane needs this job and Jane's should study every move that k makes and maybe, just maybe someday Jane will be successful. Then She turns around and offers Jane anything she wants to wear from last year's line in the back of the store, and Jane's banks like totally whiplash. And then Ka tells an off camera Moira to show Jane how to inspect the clothes, show her again, show her the k Beacon weigh and she walks off.
Speaker 1: Now is this set in Malibu where the surfboard shop.
Speaker 2: Is so big? It could be? Yeah, it looked familiar. Yeah, yes, look like that.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of ho went You saw the exterior establishing shot? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of that?
Speaker 3: Is that why you're asking Court?
Speaker 1: I just remember it. I got it all just now as we were talking, when I just had a flash of thinking it was that that I must have had a scene there because thinking it was there, there's a establishing shot.
Speaker 3: Is it that there's a Malibu Yeah, there was a Malibu set that served as this shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the reason I know that is because when Sydney arrives, she has some scenes in there and right mm hmm, yeah, and that building is still there. I believe it is something else entirely. I don't know what it is. But anyway, so we go from here to Bikini Burger, where Matt is delivering food to a table at his waiter job and he accidentally spills food on a customer. The customer hops out of his seat but immediately recognizes Matt, and Matt realizes this kid in a shirt and tie is Pete from the Halfway House.
Speaker 1: Pete tells Matt Pete in the Halfway House scene, we saw.
Speaker 2: Or I think it, so I didn't.
Speaker 3: It was just saying that, yeah, that Matt knew him and from there, but he wasn't there.
Speaker 2: He was so cute and a funny laugh and everything yep.
Speaker 3: And he tells Matt that he's now in sales, and Matt notes that Pete still has the same goofy laugh. He asks Matt how everyone is doing at the house, and Matt covers and says everyone is fine, and Pete tells Matt how their talks really helped him, and Matt tells him he's proud of him for staying clean and staying away from drugs, and Pete asks, Hey, what are you doing here Bikini Burger and Matt again covers and says it's just for extra money, and he tells Pete to keep up the good work. So this scene is really Matt covering and not telling Pete the whole story, but it's again like reminding him how much he's sort of miss is the work.
Speaker 1: He loves the kids there, and how much he impacted the kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: So then we're back at Joe's apartment during the day Jake. Joe is showing Jake her dark room slash bathroom, and she apologizes to him for how she acted in the morning. Joe complains that Michael's being so uptight, but she says, you know, I know, I'm a bitch, and then.
Speaker 1: She told this line. I wrote it down and liked it so much. Yeah, you're right, I'm a bitch. I need a favor.
Speaker 3: Yea loves straight from I'm a Bitch.
Speaker 1: I was a loane. I was watching it while I was working out. I just kept saying it. Yeah, you're right, I'm a bitch, and I need a favor. I want to say that.
Speaker 2: I love I didn't even pause.
Speaker 1: I love so much for her. She yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Jake says, all right, Well, do you have something to drink besides water? Joe offers him a beer. He takes one, and Joe tells Jake her favorite. She needs to sell a bracelet, but she can't because she doesn't have a photo I D. Joe says she's flat broke and not used to that experience and asks Jake if he'll help. Jake asks Joe, well, why didn't you have a driver's license? And Joe says, well, who drives in New York So then he offers to maybe loaner a couple bucks. She rolls her eyes and says, all right, come on, we help me. Yes or no?
Speaker 1: Because she's an adult person going through life without a photo ID. You know, we're just gonna go with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, So, well, don't have that in New York.
Speaker 1: City because you have an ID. The other I have a license, but you can't cash it walking it. At the time, for the kids at home, a check was a piece of paper. We wrote money now.
Speaker 3: And you needed an ID, and we used to put it in the mail with a stamp on it in and all these.
Speaker 1: Days and you'll know this, they don't even want cash, like I'll give you like a cat. Jack went on a trip with his class and I handed him cash. You just looked at me, like, just take it, because I need to know you have it, and he's like, what would I possibly.
Speaker 3: Where do I even put his?
Speaker 2: Venmo?
Speaker 1: Do you do with cat?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is this weird thing? Yeah, it's just gonna appen back and have a credit card. He's going to give it away. He's going to hand it to somebody along the way.
Speaker 2: Funny.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of cash, we cut to the pawn shop where Jake is. There different pawn shop and an appraiser is telling Jake that the bracelet is worth four thousand dollars, but it'll give him forty five hundred. Jake says he knows the bracelet cost over ten thousand, but it's worth eight thousand, so he'll take seven. He gives him the number he wanted to get for Joe. The appraiser tells Jake he's wrong, so Jake picks up the bracelet starts to walk away, and the appraiser says, wait, wait, wait, wait, all right and agrees to pay him seven. So Jake brings out his ID and the appraiser asks who's Beth, and Jake has no idea what he's talking about. An appraiser mentions that Beth is engraved on the back of this bracelet, so Jake explained, stole it from Beth. He's selling it for a friend, but the appraiser says, I can't do this transaction because.
Speaker 2: This bracelet is stolen. Who's Beth?
Speaker 3: Who's Beth?
Speaker 1: Which is so funny based on an engraving, right, I know he's on it. This is a very honest pom broker.
Speaker 2: But he didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't have an answer like you know that, huh. I don't even know that it's on there. He didn't even know that, yeah, was there. So he walks outside where Joe is sitting on Jake's motorcycle waiting for him to come back out, and she's disappointed to see that the bracelet is still in Jake's hand. He hasn't managed to get the seven thousand dollars, so Jake asks Joe who's Beth, and asks Joe if the bracelet is stolen. Joe is offended but doesn't answer the question, and Jake says, I hate being used. Worse, I hate being lied to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, vainly finally mad, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is all being filmed down by the Santa Monica Pier. It's Palisades Park, which a lot of them all on Santa Monica.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember, which we know there's not a pawn shop right across the street like they are, right, So they've done the pawn chop scene on one day and in the sixter year scene that supposedly.
Speaker 1: Happened, probably did Kay Beacon and Malibu right, probably, and did this one right up the Yeah, yeah, it's right on the beach where she's hanging out.
Speaker 2: Just because it's beautiful. It's a beautiful place to film. That's a great shot. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: So but Jake is pissed. He says he doesn't like being lied to and Joe. Joe gets sort of defensive and says, why should I answer your questions if you're not going to believe the answer, And he says, try me. And Joseah's to Jake that she's sick of everyone's questions and you should just mind your own business. And Jake is pissed and a half he gets on his motorcycle and he drives away, leaving Joe alone in the park with her helmet in her hand and her really cute bob haircut.
Speaker 1: And she her haircuts gorgeous. But this broke my heart when you started crying.
Speaker 3: Starts to cry and the camera pulls all because it's all her facade, her lies, her stories are just coming, you know, apart vulnerability.
Speaker 1: It was really sweet.
Speaker 3: And her anger didn't really surf her here, push pushed him away.
Speaker 1: Finally she's like, wait, that's the word. The fifth time he leaves went he rejected him five times?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and each yeah, each time is asking for more and not telling him enough. And what comes up This next montage is so cool. It's this jazzy kind of we haven't really seen that, I mean, very kind of jazzy, you know montage with I don't know if it looked aged or what, you know, handheld vision, you know, pictures of Melos Avenue. Yeah, kind of yeah, kind of.
Speaker 3: Felt old more old just because of the tone of the music and stuff.
Speaker 2: Pianos and they feel like a director's choice. It just felt like that direct I thought of the director like he probably because I uh, we don't see that often. You see a little bit of the taste of that in the beginning and the credits, but this was very cool and kind of lasting.
Speaker 3: Styley kind of over all those stores on Melrose, including Johnny Rockets, the Burger Place. But then we go from there and it lands shooters the exterior, and then we pushed in and Jake and Billy again are shooters having beers. Jake is telling Billy that Joe is trouble and I don't trust her, and Billy says, you know, Jake, you should keep your distance from Joe, and jake advice is Billy, well, you should do the same. You should stay away. No, no, you you really should stay away. No, no, but you should know you should not even try and Billy Billy's works about that and tells Jake that he thinks that Joe got under his skin, and Jake says no, and Billy gives him a knowing smile. Yeah, I think she kind of did. Jane and Michael at their apartment at night, Jane and Michael are eating dinner at their coffee table on the floor in the living room and Jane tells Michael that Kay is manipulative, arrogant and she's humiliated Jane at work and then she turned around and sent Jane home with a free outfit. And Kay is totally meaning to everyone, and Michael cuts her off.
Speaker 2: And says, hey, can we stop talking about Kay Beacon.
Speaker 3: And he then starts to rub Jane's neck, telling her she's sexy and she should relax, and they start kissing, and from there, Jane gets up and says, hey, give me give me a sec she leaves the room.
Speaker 1: Didn't you in that moment though, like you know, we've all had that moment before. Didn't you want to say, I'm telling you something like did you want to say, like a wander to go, don't give me a massage right now. I'm trying to I need to do it up my day. I need to vent, Like give me a minute. Yeah, I was a but no, sweet lovely Jane's like, oh, all right, I guess we're doing this.
Speaker 2: I guess we're doing this. Don't get my Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we we follow her into the bathroom and where she's getting her birth control and Jans Michael huge.
Speaker 1: Diaphragm Chrit's very laned up on the in the foreground nine by eleven diaphragm case.
Speaker 3: And Michael shows up in the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a blast of the past.
Speaker 2: It's such a movie. Also, it's such a movie or t TV that shot through the medicine cabinet, like the camera's here and you know, so it's behind and that that diaphragm sitting.
Speaker 1: Right up with both hands because it's so bitt this huge thing.
Speaker 3: But in case the audience didn't understand what it was, Michael shows up in the door. We're saying, hey, I thought we agreed about trying to get pregnant again, and Jane says, yeah, but does it have to be tonight? And Michael says, well, is this change of heart about your new job now that you've got great job? And then all of a sudden, our you know, conversations and our feelings about having a child has gone out the window. But Jane says, actually, she's having doubts about whether or not she wants to have a child now or anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Which I was all alone in my room going yeah, because I love that she's finally getting her voice and saying.
Speaker 3: Seeing what she's thinking and feeling.
Speaker 1: Yes, saying what she's thinking and feeling with him. I love it. And he's suddenly in the position of he has time, he has days off of work, which he never does, and he's listening to her and trying to get her attention. I was so happy to see this shift.
Speaker 2: Yes, she says, it's kind of like being a young doctor. He's like, you're always at work, you know, Oh, your boss taking all your time. And also now he's like, I thought you want a child. It's kind of like reverse and it's kind of like Michael just not getting what he wants. But we'll move on.
Speaker 3: And it's only for a second. And it's only for a second.
Speaker 2: I know what I clocked it.
Speaker 3: It's for this episode, Michael. Don't get used to this.
Speaker 2: Everything changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we cut to Jake's apartment in the morning. There's a knock at the door. The police are knocking on Jake's door, asking if he owns a sixty eight Triumph and if he loaned it to anyone. He's no, he knows he didn't. But then Joe appears right behind the cops of the door, saying, of course he loaned it to me. Do I look like a motorcycle thief.
Speaker 2: She's all grumpy with the cop too, like she's just like, I have cars. She's just like thinking she can just lie and steal and do whatever, and everyone else is just a pain in my.
Speaker 3: Ass and they'll just go along, right, yeah, the she just go along, Yeah, And Jake defiantly tells the cops, No, I've never seen her before, and Joe protests Jake X yes, he is telling the police, yeah, all right, I let her borrow my motorcycle.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: And then they promptly give Jake a ticket for loaning his bike to an unlicensed driver. Don't and then they leave, and as Joe was walking into Jake's apartment, we see that Matt, Alison and Ronda are just very small figures in the barred in the background. They've just watched the whole cop drama. So like you guys had to be there just to listen in and over here and like you were just like to be there for the background.
Speaker 2: What's going on with a strange new girl? What's happening?
Speaker 3: The cops are here, Yeah, this new girl, Jake.
Speaker 2: It's the scene where it's like you just go, okay, there gonna end.
Speaker 3: Una lying next they want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're quick, You're you're kind of ahead of the rest of us. Uh.
Speaker 3: So they go inside and Joe tells Jake that she He's like, how did you? What the how did you? And she says, I used the spare house key from under the plant to steal is motorcycle. Borrow whatever, and Jake is pissed and tells Joe you're out of control. So they're having a fight here. Joe says, you know, wait, you were right about getting out into the wind to clear my head and it was great. And he says, yeah, well, next time, get a fan. He's pissed and Joe swears to Jake the bracelet.
Speaker 2: No, Jake, believe me.
Speaker 3: The bracelet is mine and I want things to be right between us, and.
Speaker 2: She goes, even share the ticket with you.
Speaker 3: You know I need and I need friends, and I think you do too. And meanwhile, Jake is angrily pouring a cup of orange juice. He's dunking his doughnut in and he's taking a big bite and Joe says, I'll split the ticket with you. He's absolutely flabbergasted, like what do you Yeah, Jake tells Joe that no, you owe me big time and for starters, he'll be taking me to dinner tonight.
Speaker 2: And she goes, I pick where. I mean, it's like building up. You just know they're going to be a couple and they're going to do this day in and day out, you know. And by the way, I'm having fun Alison and Billy had the same fight.
Speaker 1: I'll show you.
Speaker 3: You have to take me to dinner, dinner, like yeah, and this is how we get there.
Speaker 2: We can't just go to dinner. That would be boring.
Speaker 3: Drive this date that you and taking me to dinner. So she's like, fine, but I picked the place. And he dunks his donut and his orange juice and he eats it, and Jo says, that is an extraordinarily disgusting habit.
Speaker 1: And that's what they Grant did. Did Grant did they get that from? Did he did?
Speaker 2: Think so? But he took to it really naturally, didn't he?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because then he deliberately another really slow like a double bite bite bite, and then.
Speaker 2: And she's like, oh man, I'm gonna come for you. Boy.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember resenting so much that he and Andrew could eat all day every day. Yeah, and then take their shirt off and it and have their as yes. Yes, people like what do you do? How hard you work out to get those?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Nothing, just born with it. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well eat a lot of donuts.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, dipping an orange jese. So then we cut to Brack in the lawyer's office, where Matt is coming in, and the lawyer tells Matt that his former employee has now upped the offer, offering ten thousand dollars plus his job back if they settle out of court. Matt is thrilled and says, we won, but his lawyer tells him that's not exactly a win, and she thinks they should take the case to trial, which would mean upwards of one hundred thousand dollars minimum, she says, since it's such a slam dunk of a case of discrimination. Matt tells his lawyer that he misses the kids at his old job and he can't help them if he's in court for another year, and that nothing matters more to him than getting back to work and making a difference.
Speaker 2: Because of her. I've seen that, we saw where he runs into that kid. He right, and she's thinking dollar signs and how famous she'll be and how good it will be for her firm, and maybe she'll make partner, you know, if we go to trial.
Speaker 3: So she's disappointed and she tells Matt, well, I hope you're satisfied, and Matt replies that he's static, thrilled. So ten thousand dollars and his job back and he is super excited, and then we cut to Alison Billy in their apartment. Billy is lying on the couch during the day, recovering from his visit to the dentist. When Alison comes home asking how it went.
Speaker 2: Bill is such a cute is dentist novacane drunk guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's more than a little lapy, he's so cute loopy and he tells Alison that they had to drill so deep he could hear people speaking Chinese. Thought that was fun, and that he had novacaine, he had headphones, he had gas and pills to alleviate the pain, and so it was less painful than a New Kid's concert. Allison says, well, maybe I came home early for nothing. Maybe you're fine without me, gives him another pain pill. Billy asks Allison, wait, wait, can you turn on the TV for me? Can you grab a blanket for me? And oh, maybe run to the video.
Speaker 2: Store for me?
Speaker 3: And just like being all needy and you know, trying to get her come back, and he's loopy Billy, and Allison suggests, maybe Billy, you should go to your parents' house to recover. Yeah, and Billy reminds Allison, you know, I just got you through a broken heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a really good point because she's like, get you a blanket, go to your parents' house.
Speaker 2: I know, step it.
Speaker 1: Up a little.
Speaker 3: I took care of you at your worst and I just had a little.
Speaker 2: Novacaine through a broken heart.
Speaker 3: But she agrees, she agrees to put on her metaphorical nurses uniform. So that's super cute. They're super cute. And then we cut to another couple, Jake Joe in the parking lot at night. After their dinner. They ride up on his motorcycle to happen in hotspot and parking lot.
Speaker 2: I was spending my time noticing that his arm is now around my shoulder. Yes, like IMA's girl. Yeah. And so they're at that point where she's like not moving it, but they haven't like, you know, officially hooked up yet. So yeah, I thought that was really interesting their body language. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So as they get off the bike and walk toward the building's and he's like just casually got his arm draped around her, and Joe says that she wants to take some dark and moody photos at this cool place for her portfolio.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: There's a Oh, by the way, did I mention him a photographer? There is a large sign right out front of the restaurant saying no drugs, no cameras, and so Joe promptly photographs it. She's like, let me take a picture of that. No drugs, no cameras. Joe then tries to hide her camera and Jake's jacket and things get a little flirty. They're teasing each other and it's a little bit of a tussle. It looks like Jake is maybe trying to sneak a kiss, and jo says, Jake, you have to have every woman you meet fall over you, and Jake sort of spins her around. He's teasing her back, and he says, oh, look, I think I see Madonna entering the club. He's like trying to steal a kiss, and then a guy suddenly comes up to them and says, hey, Beth, when did you hit La? And Joe's stopped in her tracks, so you have the wrong lady, But the guy says, Beth, it's me Jerry, and Joe loudly repeats wrong lady, and she tries to walk away and the guy reaches her arm as she goes Jake sort of swats away the guy's hand away from Joe, telling Jerry back off, dude. The lady says she doesn't know you, and then Jerry hauls off and punches Jake. Jake punches him back with one swing to the gut in one of the face. Jerry ends up on the ground. He's out cold. Jake is calling for Joe, but she is gone.
Speaker 2: Joe is wow. I mean this is now I would say the extreme. He's literally hit another guy. He's put up with so much friend, this is like God the defense.
Speaker 3: But she's disappeared, completely disappeared, all right. So then we're back with Alison and Billy at their apartment where Billy is sleeping on the couch and he is calling Alison's name in his sleep and calling her name, and then Alison appears next to Billy on the couch. She's wearing a silky lacy robe and lingerie and she's asking what can I do to make it better? She then leans down and kisses him and they make out finally.
Speaker 1: Like Andrew having a thing about they don't get to like sneak in the Billy and alson. So we did this really sort of exaggerated the dream sequence dream kiss, but I was like, I don't like. As an audience member, I would have been like, they don't look like they like each other very much.
Speaker 2: No, I thought.
Speaker 3: Still the audience is like cheering at this point, going yay, finally.
Speaker 1: Something something throw it's a bone.
Speaker 2: Even though it's a fantasy, it's.
Speaker 3: Not real, and yeah, it's obvious that it's a dream dreams.
Speaker 1: At the end of the scene, Andrew very hilariously like brings a pillow over his lap.
Speaker 2: I just think it's so cute. Billy's like Alisons, Allison, Allison, and you're like, yes, hello, wake up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because the dream fades and Alison, that version of Alison disappears. Billy's still sleeping on the couch and still calling out Alison's name, and he's like clutching at his blanket, and real life Alison is just nearby, like leaning over in her big fluffy robe, her real life robe, and she wakes Billy up from his dream and she's smiling. She's pretty amused, and Billy is kind of flustered about being awakened from the stream and there she is, and he almost tells her why we were uh, but then instead, he says it was just a disturbing dream, and he says, you know that I should have been warned about the side effects of these pain pills. And Alison is just sort of cutely smiling, wishes him good night and walks back to her room smiling. I thought that was super cute, like, I know what you were dreaming, And then we cut to Joe's apartment later that night, Joe Jake knocks on Joe's door. Joe answers, and Jake says, what happened to you? And here again. Joe tries to close the door on Jake, pushing him away, but he pushes the door open. Joe says she just doesn't like fights and that Jerry was mistaken when he called her Beth. Jake points out that some coincidence that Beth is also the name inside the bracelet. That he doesn't care what the truth is, he just wants to hear it. It's simpler, The truth is simpler, and there is nothing. Yeah, she says, there's nothing simple about my life right now, and she slams the door in his face. I just might I just want everything.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, like, because she's so extreme. It comes across that there's something bigger than she's letting on right in her life, very clearly. Okay, good, yeah, Okay, once we find out what really went on, we're dying.
Speaker 1: I was dying to know at this point, like at this point in the story, because they've dropped so many bread crumbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is it we all need to know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's time.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because there's no other explanation for why she's turning down Jake Hansen so many times.
Speaker 1: Cut to the next she goes, I got my period.
Speaker 3: That was it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Was it? Here's the big explanation. Instead, we cut to Jane and Michael's apartment in the morning. Jane is checking her teeth in the reflection of the stainless Steell toaster, and Michael comes into the kitchen groggy asleep, and Jane says, go back to bed. I just have to go to work. She complains to Michael about Kay, saying, Hey is just rude, she's vain, she's opinionated. Michael points out that the collective term for that is bitch, and it's the second time we've said bitch, and yes, Jane says that she just wants Kay to know that she too is good at her job. But Michael says, Kay's type is never going to admit that Jane is a good designer. Michael says he doesn't want to see Jane heard. Jane doesn't need this woman to tell her that she's great, and then they kiss and they exchange I love yous, and Jane says they'll spend the next day, which is going to be Sunday, together and they can pick up where they left off a couple of nights ago. But right now she's got to get to work, so off she goes. And we're back with Alison and Billy in the apartment in the morning, where Alison is reading the paper in the kitchen. Billy walks in and asks him, did you sleep okay?
Speaker 2: He says, how still you are? You just wait like the cat waiting for the little mouse to make the wrong move, you know. He's like, oh, like mm hmmm yeah, and then she pounces.
Speaker 3: He says yeah. He says something about like thawing after being cryogenically frozen, which I think is his metaphor for saying he's starting to feel more normal, and Alison presses him about his dream last night. Following him into the kitchen, asking him what was happening in that dream? Clutching your pillow and screening.
Speaker 2: She sits up on the counter right next him, right in his face. But what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Billy says, I can't remember. She insists that he tell her. So. Then Billy says, well, a Tyronosaurus rex showed up dream and it snatched you away, and and yeah, that's why I was calling your name.
Speaker 2: That's why I was clinging to the pillow and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: She says to the pillow, Well that was because uh, yeah, in the dream he was holding on I was holding onto the dinosaur's tail and trying to get the dinosaur to drop you, like the silly scoofiest story. And Alison is not buying.
Speaker 1: You know, like he's nine. There's a dinosaur and another dinosaurs. The dinosaur albathin so big it was green.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then so he turns around and says, well, do you ever dream about me? And Allison says no, but very coyly says well, if I did, it wouldn't be something we could talk about. And she hops down off the counter. She brushes by Billy, saying something about like something should be kept private and leaves the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's all but admitting to dirty dirty dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this one again, this is happening.
Speaker 1: Game on, we should bet on dinner sometime.
Speaker 2: It is happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So back in the courtyard, Ronda and Matt are coming down the stairs from Ronda's apartment in. Ronda is thrilled for Matt that he's going to be getting ten thousand dollars for his settlement, and Randa suggests mutual funds buy some land without all that money. Matt says he's going to start a legal aid fund for victims of discrimination based on sexual orientation, and Ronda says that's a great idea, great investment, and she's very happy for Matt.
Speaker 2: Because he's such a good guy. She's likeness all of it away, and he's like, yep, yeah, amazing, okay.
Speaker 3: And then back at the fashion workroom at the store shop, Kay is barking orders to all the employees. While walking around the workroom, Kay says the new k Beacon collection is smart, flattering, and perfect, and she notices that Jane is not fawning all over her, and she says, well, how did I know my brilliance wouldn't satisfy everyone? What is wrong Jane? And she asks Jane her thoughts on the designs, and then Jane tells her a couple of things, and Kay very condescendingly dismisses everything that Jane said.
Speaker 2: Did you notice those dresses were so big in the nineties, Maxie dresses were just everywhere. I mean we wore them and press and they were just everywhere. Those dresses just brought it all back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those were everywhere, somewhere between your knee and your ankle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, God, but Jane is she's had it, and she says, tokay, if becoming a successful designer means turning into a rude, egomaniacal bitch like yourself, third, bitch, I must be in the wrong business.
Speaker 2: That's a bitch. Can spicy this show?
Speaker 1: Yeah you mean, and it's way before the Mondays are a bitch?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Advertising campaign no, Kate Beacon, Joe and Kay Beacon is a bit.
Speaker 2: The guys are just going like, what the hell's happening? Or women, We're all starting to turn.
Speaker 3: And to all of that, Kay just rolls her eyes and says, see me in my office. So we cut to Kay's office, where Kay admits to Jane that she has been thoughtless and insensitive, and Kay goes on to tell Jane she thinks Jane is talented and she would hate to see Jane leave. And all of a sudden, Michael shows up. He's got even lunch basket and he is there to have some.
Speaker 2: Lunch with Jane.
Speaker 3: Jane introduces Michael to Kay and Ca says, oh, good looking and a doctor. I guess your mother sleeps like a log.
Speaker 2: Jane.
Speaker 1: See a completely different person in this episode, Yeah, completely see It's like, wait, what what just happened?
Speaker 3: Loving doting husband with a cute little little print.
Speaker 1: Like needy husband.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, remember that it wasn't too long ago that she was coming to the doctor to the hospital with lunch. He was like all like, what are you doing here? And you know, she's like he has a different reaction. He brings her lunch. They go up to the roof and have a NYE lunch in the middle.
Speaker 3: And then, quite out of character, Ky suggests that they go up onto the roof right like that. She's suddenly nice because he's there. Is that why she's nice?
Speaker 1: Then she's well, she started apologizing, which doesn't seem very in line with her bully character, but maybe yeah, Jane standing up to her shifted something.
Speaker 3: And it was also like even her apology comes with well, I hate I would hate to see leave. Yeah, almost like you know, try that, Good luck with that. But anyway, So Michael and Jane go up to the roof to have their lunch at a table on the roof with a view of the ocean, and Michael tells Jane that her new job has pushed some buttons for him that he didn't know he had, but that he really does support her in her career, and Jane says she knows that Michael and Jane, that she knows that they both want to have a baby, that right now she wants to focus on her career, and she asks if that's okay with Michael, and he says, I love you too much to say no, who are you?
Speaker 1: Real life? Wasn't Josie like twenty two at this point?
Speaker 2: At most two? I think twenty one because when I came on she I remember being in her trailer and talking to her and finding out like she was twenty one, so h yeah, very young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then we cut back to Joe's apartment during the day. She's in her dark room bathroom developing some photos and Jake knocks at the door, walks in, telling Joe that he's not the kind of guy that Joe needs to run away from. Jake tells Joe, I care about you, and Joe says, why why do you care about me? And Jake says that Joe uh. He thinks Joe's desperate to have someone care about her, and he says he wants Joe to trust him and he just wants to be around her.
Speaker 2: It's just come in with this force. He's like, I'm not taking this anymore from you. It's not like it's and it's a different kind of energy. It's not like, you know, I'm going to force you to talk about things you don't want to talk about. It's like, you know, I got to set it straight. You think I'm you know, taking things from you, and you think I'm a bad person, and you think you can't trust me. But I like how he finally puts down his foot, he gets in that thing, and that's you're like, oh, finally, okay, yeah, and he does, but in a really supportive way, really supportive way, I don't care about all this stuff, your lies.
Speaker 3: I care about you. And it does force her to sort of feel comfortable enough to start opening up, and she then starts to tell him that her mother died by suicide when she was seven years old, and that her father remarried. She tells him that she met her husband, Charles Reynolds, in college and he was from a disgustingly wealthy family and it was pretty good for a while, she said, but she dropped out of college to be a socialite for her husband that eventually that felt like she was fading away in the marriage and just losing herself, and so she left without a note or even a goodbye, and she started she wanted to start living her life, her life, she emphasized, and she explains the Beth, Yeah, she tells her. She tells Jake that her full name is Joe Beth and that her mother had called her Joe, and so Joe is who she really is.
Speaker 2: But everyone else called her Beth in her husband's life, than her old daughter that bracelet, and so this is her going back to the name Joe, but really she has been Beth all those years.
Speaker 3: Joe then apologizes to Jake for all the lies, and Jake says he knows a way to get them to both stop running from whatever their past, and then he kisses her.
Speaker 1: She kiss him back, right, she kisses and how surprised for you? I was like, oh, oh, we're here, Oh my god, we're kissing.
Speaker 3: He just like he leans in, it's very sweet, kisses her on the cheek and Joe's oh no, we're doing this, and she leans in and kisses him back, and then they start making out and they stop for a second just smile at each other, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was earned, Like we've seen them go back and forth, right, it's really earned. But I was still surprised because they're very emotional connected scene then they're kissing. Were you surprised after? Did you remember it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I was surprised because we're on my second episode and I was like, oh, I didn't know that I was besties with you starting the first episode and then I'm start making out with Jake the second episode. She's like, you know, yeah, jump right in. But once I really liked and it did bring up I always looked forward to my scenes with Jake, you know, with Grant and we always had fun, and I like they caught that moment after the kiss. It was a very real moment of like smiling, like, oh, we're actually kissing, you know. They ended the episode, and it just reminded me how much fun we always had and I always just loved playing with them, you know, when I first came on. This also reminded me. I first came in and I asked him if he wanted to rehearse. No one rehearses in TV. There's not time to rehearse, but he said yes, and he came over to my house on the weekend. We didn't rehearse making out or anything that's like not. We just rehearsed and we talked about it and we you know, we both were really into it, and I think that really shows that there was a comfort with each other and a playfulness. So yeah, and we had a real nice that started and lasted years to this day.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you knew that there was going to be like a big relationship on the show, and you really wanted to get it right and like establish that relationship and wanting to rehearse that and stuff.
Speaker 2: Grant always says this thing about how before I even came on the show. He saw me in New York City. I don't know if you guys remember this story, but he's like, yeah, he would always say this in interviews. It made me sound like such a jerk. Yeah, I saw you. I saw a dad in New York City and we both went to UCLA together. And I come up to her in this Mexican restaurant. I know it because I've heard this so many times, and I don't remember it, I promise you. But he comes up and says, hey, I went to UCLA too. We know people in common. And apparently I look at him and go no oh, and he's like she said that to me and nah, and so he's like okay, and he walks off. I guess and so here we are there's already kind of guess that thing going on.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but so anyway, don't remember it at all.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't remember it. I clearly do you do you think it's possible that and I don't remember him at UCLA, but we did have people, but we did have people in common. I know who those people are in the theater department. Yeah, but anyway, there.
Speaker 3: Was this time.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't you like if you came up to some random brunette and the story, Yes, but.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what you think we all look alike? No, but I felt bad retroactively powerful.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, I don't remember it all right. Well, we've got a couple of fan questions here.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a character that you wish you had interacted with more, shared more scenes with? That's to all of us. I think I never had much with you, did I?
Speaker 3: Laura?
Speaker 2: Did Joe and Sydney have scenes?
Speaker 3: No? It's interesting, like I was, I was noting it from this episode that like the Allison character had so much going on in the early episodes, right, like you were such the onngnoon and such the lead character, Like you not only had this rich, rich and robust story and then this billy thing that's brewing your own stuff going on, and then you get to be the character that's going to be the best friend of the new character coming in, so like you really sort of everywhere. And then I was thinking about it, like when my character came in, I was very isolated in my own little storyline, and then Michael and Jane World.
Speaker 2: Jane and you, and then Marshall when she came on yeah, it wasn't that like you guys' group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then late like in later episodes I I had, I got to have scenes with Heather and and I had with Grant and things like that, and sometimes with with Doug. But I didn't really interact with I know, I didn't really have scenes like our characters really didn't overlap or intertwine. And and yeah, yeah I was. I was often my scenes.
Speaker 2: I liked my scenes with Heather because I liked, at least for a while, at least for a while, Joe was very strong. I feel like then they got into kind of like these men would come and take advantage of her, just like beat her down and kind of or something. She became less strong. I noticed that. But I would have liked it with Sidney, I think, and I liked it with Heather because Heather was strong and I would meet her there. I remember in a few scenes that we had what about you, Core, you seemed to any one that you wish you worked with are.
Speaker 1: I got to have scenes with almost everybody but except Laura. Same thing because you and in the beginning, I had scenes with Josie. But then you guys sort of had your own storyline. I think it's when the medical office opened with Jack Wagner. So I would have liked to play more with you guys, with Jack and Heather and you, although Heather and I for a long time I had scenes at D and D. Yeah, I think Jack Wagner and you are the two people I would have had fun working with. We had great storylines together Daftney. I mean, we don't remember the beginning one, but we had great ones in the future. So they kind I wonder too if it's part of double ups that they had to separate the storylines because we had two crews, so we had less group scenes with all of us. In the beginning, we had that a lot more and it sort of faded away.
Speaker 2: So I think the writers probably, like, you know, they see something that's working and they got a confused. Don't you think it would confuse the audience if they criss crossed us a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because like I think the whole Sydney Michael Jane world, it was like I feel like Sydney especially was like on Planet Sydney, like there was a whole, like she was unlikely to be like even moving in and getting her own apartment, she was never going to be that character that was like on the same wavelength or level as everybody else at the thing. She was always like younger, you know, imaginary younger as a character, lest I think she was a different planet.
Speaker 2: Well, she was also like wanting to really get at her sister, and I think she was so manipul and so pulling all this stuff that I don't know, maybe she knew she wouldn't have gotten away with that with the rest of us, Like yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like I just think there's only so much they could write, you know, Like, yeah, but it'd be really hard to like intertwine this totally different universe with that universe. And you know, there was the D and D universe, and then there was the Burnsvancina universe and the Beach House universe and all that stuff, and like the Jake and Joe I feel like, is a universe too, you know, Like and so I think it's hard to intertwine all of those. Yeah, the universes, I don't know. That's but it would have been fun, would have been fun to work together. So maybe maybe sometime in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious to see if we had scenes together. I remember hanging out with you in the makeup trailer, Laura. Yeah, I remember that being fun, but I don't. I'm trying to remember when we would have had scenes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then only only big group scenes where you know, inevitably Sydney's doing something wrong and making you know, a mess of things or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well I'm excited to see and I like what they did in this in this show, Daffy, they really brought your character in strong, and they're really focusing on you so that the audience is getting to change because it already feels like you're a part of it. She's great. They really did this in a smart way. So only your second episode, they got around you're already a part of the show, but very well intertwined with it. They really did, so.
Speaker 3: There's a There's another question that asks us, all, how do we like to rewatch these episodes as we're rewatching to prepare for our podcast. Do we watch with a glass of wine at home or with friends, et cetera. Would we consider doing a live recap together?
Speaker 2: That would be cool.
Speaker 1: Characters are fun, That would be so fun.
Speaker 3: When I watch Melrose out like the episodes, I get to watch with Doug. Sometimes I make him sit down and watch with me. But it would be super fun if we all had a night the three of us wait and where we watched all together.
Speaker 2: I've been known to have a spritzer and and David brings it to me and and then he goes, you're watching yourself on TV again, And I'm like, yep, I want to, Like, he's just not interested. I want to watch, but uh but and then he comes in and he goes, what you're doing? I go working watching TV?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Doing these podcast episodes is kind of like the rewatch together, Like we do our little rewatch on our own, but then coming together to talk about it is like having the shared experience. So it feels like that's almost what we're doing is having this shared experience by doing these podcasts recaps every week together. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it would be really fun if we could get everybody together to be determined dinner party.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that'd be really fun party.
Speaker 3: I just want to show that'd be really fun.
Speaker 2: Just invite us, please, Let's just have a damn dinner party.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys for coming to listen to another episode of Still the place, yes, thanks everybody, Gay Week.
Speaker 2: I fine,