Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, What's Right with Nick Wright? Episode two forty after a week of some technical difficulties and we apologize for those uh To be honest, I would take accountability for my fault, and I would have no problem throwing the folks at Blue Dog under the boss if it were their fault. But instead, like most issues with America these days, who's some nameless, faceless mega corporation that should have been broken down by our antitrust laws we used to have once upon a time, thanks a lot, Reagan. Instead, it's some giant conglomerate that controls our cell phones, our TVs, our internet, all of it. They're like, ah, we'll get to your block when we can get to it. The block was having issues, it was, but we are I don't know what buttons. The Blue Dock people pushed what to get it a tech not even on site necessarily for this space at Trentage and Harlem, but to fix the internet for the block. So the great people in this community kind of have the What's Right show to thank for the internet finally working back up here. However, demand's a funny story. So they did after fixing, after working on the block throughout the day, they did need a tech to come into the store to you know, do like double and triple checks or whatever. Right, And I'm just going to I am just gonna tell you how it went, and then you can guess how your wonderful mother reacted. So the Trenton just supposed to close at seven. I call Danielle and I'm like, Hey, there's gonna be a spectrum. Oh darn it, gosh, darn it. Maybe it's not that company. Who knows there's gonna be a person from a company coming to fix some things. Uh, he's gonna get there around six and I can come up and relieve you and sit there. She's like, no, it's no problem. Like, I'll ask him how long did you take when he gets here? So he gets there, he said, oh, I should be done before seven, like when you're supposed to close. She's like, oh, it's no problem. So then it's seven twenty. I get the side eye emoji text. I'm like, uh oh I, so I call her. She doesn't answer, So I call the store and I'm like, I called your phone. She's like, yeah, I can't use my phone because the guy who's here working is using my phone because he doesn't have FaceTime, so he has to FaceTime on my phone and this he's using his phone on the phone. I'm like, okay. I'm like I'm already. I'm already a little anxious about how this is gonna go. And I'm like, do you want me to come up right now? And I hear say, sir about how much longer? And he's like, oh, less than ten minutes. So she's like, no, it's less than ten minutes. This seven twenty ish when I tell you, demanse. I get a phone call at eight fifteen FaceTime and it's her sitting there looking at me with this guy behind or working on some things. And again, this is no one's fault, but I want to let everyone know. Demanse, who do you whose fault? Do you think your mom thought it was? Of all the people she could go ahead? You? Yeah, me, me, it was me. It was my fault. It's not Victor's fault. It's not even the poor tech guy's fault who's trying to help us out. I don't blame him at all. It was not blued. It was no one's fault. I'm telling you right now. And so Victor, because he's a great guy, texts me and says, hey, I'd love to buy you and your wife dinner. You know, sorry about that. And I text him and I'm like, man, don't worry about that. And so your mom at that point is home and and I'm like, I'm like, man, And again it's as if I ripped the internet chords and then locked her in the in the boutique, like this is it is all my fault. I mean just I'm just an easy target, man. And so I then say I didn't say to her. I'm like, hey, I'm like Victor, you know, offered to buy us dinner. She's like, yeah, he texts me too. I'm like, what did you say. She's like, I didn't respond. He doesn't need to buy me dinner. You need to buy me dinner. This is your fault. I'm like okay, Like okay, so, but bright side is podcasts working great. The Internet's crystal clear. I'm moving my arms around, I'm doing stuff. There are about two months ago I got the note. I'm like, hey, they told me, hey, the Internet gets shakier if you move. And I'm like, well, then we might have an issue. Like if the internet connection is reliant on me staying still, I'm not gonna be able to Also, that kind of feels like when I had a when once upon a time, when your mom and I first started dating, and I bought a old, old Cadillac cash from a guy who played poker with Because, if I'm being honest, your mom wrecked my other car, and then your mom wrecked the Cadillac but not fully, and I had to and I had to drive to work. I don't know if you were old enough to remember this, with the bumper tied to the body of the car via like sailor's rope and I'm like, well, this is not a sustainable model, but for the time being, the for the time being, it's gonna work. Okay, they is about six months I drove in and that sailor the rope I used was like electric yellow because it was the only rope I could find the day of the event. And I'm like, well, you know, I'll either get this fixed or change out the rope at some point because it looks extra ridiculous. And when I'm here to tell you that electric yellow was on that car until it was finally left on the side of the road one day, I mean, it just is what it is, all right. Here's what missed the cut. Not on today's show, Wimby gets a funko pop doll. A lot of people love those things. I don't really get it. That's fine, though, Scotti Scheffler's charges are dropped, because of course they are. And we were last week when we had the technical difficulties, supposed to have a whole conversation about policing in America, and at some point we're gonna have that conversation. But I'm in too good of a mood right now and i don't want to do it, so we're not gonna do it today. And Aaron Rodgers, Uh, that's so funny that the producers made this the what missed the cut Aaron Rodgers video of him seemingly hobbling around and looking at his other achilles. That's not the achilles he tore. That's the other achilles. The question they put in there something or definitely nothing. That is literally the question on the TV show today that we just agreed upon in our meeting. Aaron Rodgers video something or nothing. I think Gabe used his editorial influence to have definitely put in there. Oh, it's something when the forty year old quarterback, it's like, wait, my other achilles is bothering me and they're like, no, it's a blister. All right, Demanda, let's get to the actual show. I don't think he's strolling. I think he's an old injured man.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, all right, no faith, all right, Minnesota survives. History tells us that no team has ever come back from three zero. That doesn't mean that Minnesota can't wear the Dallas Mavericks down a little bit for the Celtic make them easy pickings.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So with that said, do you think Luca and the Mavericks get it done tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, I do I think you make the exact This is the exact right question to ask, because I I think this series is incredibly evenly matched. I think that all four games either team could have won, which is why I'm so confident that this isn't going to be the first time in NBA history a team blows a three to zero lead. Because people have tried to make the argument like, well, all these games came down in the last minute, these two teams are dead even. But that's not an argument for one team than winning four in a row. That you know what I mean. The argument for a team coming back from three to zero is the one we almost saw last year when it was Celtics Heat. When you think the Celtics clearly have more talent, the Heat are playing over their ski and then you know, eventually water will find its level. And that is what happened in that series. It went from three to zero to a game seven, two evenly matched teams. The MAVs will get it done over in my opinion, in one of the next two games. But the right question is are they going to be worn down? Worn down? No, because the finals don't start until June sixth, but a turned ankle or a reaggravation of the knee sprain or something as fluky as Derek Lively getting clocked in the back of the head and a next sprain, even though that next sprain sure looked like a concussion. I mean, I'm not a doctor and I was just watching on TV, but that looked like a concussion. But whatever, I'm not making any allegations, I'm just saying from my couch, it looked like a concussion. That's the concern. That is the concern. And so if the MAVs win tonight and get through fully healthy, then I actually think for the finals, for their finals purposes, that loss in Game four was good for them. In this regard, I think that a week off is plenty of time, and that nine ten days off can maybe be a little like almost too much. I also think a sneaky important part for the Mavericks is Maxi Kleiba getting ramped back up after being out with He had demands the injury you had in your shoulder. He had the ac joint, the dislocation collar bone thing right, and so he's been out a month because of it. He also he didn't have the surgery. It's like, like we had talked about what happened with you and him being able to get twelve minutes in Game four and now maybe fifteen minutes tonight. Like that to me is a minor concern for Boston. Is Boston made such quick work of Indiana even though those games and we'll talk more about that later, they didn't get the opportunity to let Chris STAPs get game action and you know what I mean, in less than the NBA Finals cauldron. And so now it is nice that they didn't have to risk any other injury and.
Speaker 3: They Christ.
Speaker 2: Chris STAPs had never been to Round two. Before Chris STAPs was with the Knicks and then got hurt, was with the MAVs and was in Round one, and then the next year when they were in Round one, got hurt, and then he then he was with the Wizards. You know, So he Chris STAPs has never had a real postseason run. And so that is I want to make sure I'm right about I'm almost certain I am. But he's obviously never been to the finals. But I don't think prior to this year he's ever played in a playoff game. Yeah, I'm right. In fact, including this year, he's still never played in a non round one playoff game because the last game he played in was the Game four against Miami this year. And so yeah, so in that regard, I don't think that MAVs losing in game one or Game four, pardon me, was bad. I also think you were kind of I know this is illogical, but it is how I look at sports kind of do for a bad game. And I know that doesn't mean you're not gonna have a bad game moving ahead. But if they had just won Game four and it's like, man, you're you win back to back games against OKAC, You then sweet Minnesota, are you gonna have your cold shooting bad game, things are off in game one or game two of the finals. So may be it resets that a bit. I know again that is not really sound logic, but it is it makes sense in my brain. However, another forty eight minutes of basketball is another forty eight minutes where somebody can get dinged, where somebody can get hurt, and so it's not without cost. What I will say is I the MAVs need Kyrie Irving to be able to and maybe with the day between games in the finals, it'll help him. They need a level Kyrie Irving. What we've had throughout these playoffs is a level Kyrie Irving for spurts, for quarters or for halves, not many times for entire games. They are going to need that for entire games against a lead defense and one other piece. They're going to need Kyrie Irving to maintain his disposition that he has had this entire postseason in what will be a very difficult environment for him. Those Boston fans are brutal on everyone, but they really hate him. Now. He did a lot of that to himself. You know, he flipped him off and he stopped on Lucky. So I'm not gonna now the I think it's almost there's going to be some improper years sent his way out of Boston. Nobody does that to himself. But the extra vitriol that he's gonna deal with, I just want to I hope Kyrie can keep his disposition because obviously, what'd you say, apartmentalize Yeah, exactly right, yeah, and which is hard, it's not easy, but well, I will say a guy that he you know, had great success with and now has you know, Uh, what's the what's the made amends with? I don't know if that's probably not the right term. Reconcile. That's what I'm looking for with in Lebron. Lebron's one of the best athletes ever. The ability to do that that like the no matter what you're hearing, or the narrative is or anything going into a game, you once the game starts, you're just there. So I I really I think the MAVs are going to win tonight. If they don't win tonight, I am fully confident they're going to win the game six at home. But you just don't want more chances for injury, and a full week off would be good for anybody. All right, let's get to your Boston Celtics. Oh go ahead. Did you want to say something else?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, we can get to the Celtics. Because the world on the street was that you canceled the show last Tuesday to avoid talking about the Celtics sweep getting to the finals. Uh huh, I knew you hate him.
Speaker 2: I guess that much.
Speaker 3: But so Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown are back in their second finals in three years, and Jalen Brown is fresh off of his Eastern Conference MVP. It was the same way the last time, I believe when they played the Warriors in the finals. But what that said just Tatum needs to be the alpha in order for the Celtics to succeed.
Speaker 2: No, so that I don't think Tatum has to be the best player for the Celtics to win at a title. I now, I don't think the Celtics are going to win the title and the obvious clearest way for them to do it is for Tatum to jump a level in the finals. I don't think that's realistic. I think he can play better than he played in those finals against Golden State. But I think the Celtics are built And tell me, if you agree to Monte, there's your team. In a way, they are built similarly to not defensively, the same the Four Pistons. You don't remember that team, so let me give a little context. The Four Pistons had but on any given night, you did not know who their best player was gonna be. Like their best players were Chauncey Phillips and Rashid Wallace, but Tayjon Prince could be their best guy On a night, Rip Hamilton could be their best guy on a night. Ben Wallace was defense only. I think the Celtics are built in a way that on any given night, Derek White can go off. Jalen obviously can be the best player. On multiple nights, Tatum can be the best player. We forget it, but Chris STAPs will see it's what he had looked like. I don't think there's gonna be many nights Drew as the best player. He's a better offensive player obviously than Ben Wallace was, but he's gonna be focused more defensively. So I don't look at the Celtics Demons as a team that man if Tatum doesn't go toe to toe with Luca, they can't survive. And I think that's good for them because I don't think Tatum can go toe to toe with Luca. But that's no shame. There might not be anyone alive that can go toe to toe with Luca and will go ahead.
Speaker 3: You go yeah, So I mean we'll just Tatum hasn't really had I do think that he's kind of owning this thing of like he doesn't he doesn't need to ball out or go crazy or do the Josh Allen thing in order for them to win games, and I think that he's gonna do what it is that's necessary. And I just don't think that they've seen that opponent. Obviously, the teams that they've faced to get to this finals run, their best player has been injured each time. I don't think that any of these games have called for Jason Tatum's A plus. So I do think we'll see a different version in these finals.
Speaker 2: But nope, and he, by the way, he deserves credit. He did have an A plus game in Game three. I think he had thirty six points, ten rebounds, eight assists, zero turnovers. He was spectacling. That was one of the five or six best games playoff games he's ever played. He was great in that game. The weird thing about Tatum is the last two years in the postseason, he's thirty one percent from three on eight threes a game. He takes threes and confidently and at the volume of a guy who's thirty seven percent, you know what I mean. Like it is a huge part of his arsenal, and it just hasn't been the case. And so there are times where I think it can be frustrating because he's six nine and a half he's built over the ball, and when he came into the league he was skinny. He is now super strong. It feels like he could be more impactful slashing than he allows himself to be. It does feel like he settles a little too long.
Speaker 3: He probably takes like three more shots than he should have just taken to gone to the rim a game. I see it. That's right, Like he'll stop it like a little jumper. You can just power through.
Speaker 2: And so and here's the thing on that, So that is sometimes guys do that.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 2: I remember, this is like one of my earliest Fox memories. I remember watching a Cavs playoff game at some restaurant in Santa Monica with Charlie, the guy who's probably, you know, one of the two people most responsible for my entire career at Fox, and it's still my boss to this day, runs the network now and Lebron on back to back plays had driven to the basket and scored. This was the twenty sixteen playoffs, Yeah it would have been twenty sixteen playoffs, maybe twenty seventeen, doesn't matter. And Charlie turns some and says, see why doesn't he do that every play? And me exasperated, turned to him and said, because it's god dog exhausting, because even Lebron at that, let you know, and so if people would get frustrated when Lebron would settle for jumpers, But the answer is nobody has thirty drives to the basket in them a game. What's frustrating. What's uniquely frustrating about Tatum.
Speaker 3: He also has to carry a team.
Speaker 2: Well correct right and tired right. And but the other thing is Lebron was not shooting eight threes a game. You know he was shooting at that point, he was shooting five. And so it it just like three is the exact right number. It just feels like there's three or four times a game that Tatum settles when he doesn't need to. Now, where I do think that where if you're a Celtics fan, where you have to be the most nervous is this at the end of games. The MAVs know exactly what they're doing. One out of three possessions, they are going to let Kyrie try to cook someone. Two out of three they are gonna say, Luca, go do it. If you get a favorable matchup, get them on your hip, do your little old man move in the lane or a step back or throw a up and the LOB numbers. Have you seen the lob stats these playoffs? This is the craziest thing ever, so so going in this is as of game prior to Game four, so these are so the team with the third most alley oops successful alley oops these playoffs was the Celtics at eight. The team with the second most was the Thunder at nine, and the team with the most so second most was nine. The team with the most was the MAVs with forty eight. Forty eight successful aloops this postseason. Going into Game four, Luca had twenty eight by himself, like such a huge part of their offense has been Luca's You know, Derek Lively is shooting one hundred percent from the field in the Conference finals because everything on one of them is just a dunk, right, And that's also why they need Chris STAPs back, That's all, you know what I mean. It's also why they need Christaps back. But my point is at the end of games, the MAVs know exactly what they want to do, and the Celtics. This is the downside to the Jalen Brown, Jason Tatum, Batman Robin Robin Batman situation. It is not clear, crystal clear at the end of games who they're going to that, you know what I mean? That is the one downside to it. Now, I don't buy into there's this weird narrative going on, like, was does it matter that Jalen Brown one Conference Finals MVP? Was Tatum not happy enough of it? All that to me is bs. Those two guys are clearly good friends. They work really well together. They have had they have had consistent A minus success together. The question is can they finally have an A plus? All right, let's move on to me too.
Speaker 3: So on Tuesday, you tweeted out a graphic comparing Jok to Jannis. Are you saying that Jannis is the best player in the after the lebron era? Is that what you were getting at there?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's certainly a debate. So this, by the way, so this is this graphic is incredibly cool and was made by and We're gonna have a lot more of these types of things. There is I don't know if he wants me to say his name, I'll ask him, but he signed it as Leo. Leo is not his name. This was made by a guy that just really really wanted to be a part of what we do on this show and the stuff I do, and is doing like doing this statistical and statistical work and graphical art on his own. We have one coming out about Anthony Edwards and age twenty two seasons. It's really cool. It's data visualization and i'll the very least say his first name. Shout out to Zach for this amazing work. He's also working on a much bigger project related to our top fifty players of all time that is I don't even want to tease what it is because when we debut it, it'll blow your mind. But this guy is brilliant and is doing this, you know, on his own time, and I really appreciate it. So the point that I was trying to make is, I think it's very clear that Yannis had been the best player from call it. I know, Lebron won the title in twenty twenty and won a finals MVP. I know, but I think Giannis have been the best player from nineteen to twenty one, and I think Jokich has been the best player from twenty two to twenty four. Right, But what if we are talking about nineteen to twenty four this six year stretch. Who has had the better run. They have both been to one finals and one finals MVP. They both have been to one other conference finals they have they they both have been to round two twice. They are the Oh, I'm sorry. Yoga's been around two three times, Yiannis twice. Yanni's has made the playoffs more. He's also played a little bit longer. Their career numbers are very similar, twenty three to ten and five versus twenty one to eleven and seven. They're all NBA's Yannis has six, Jokicic has sure go ahead said, the career is so very very similar.
Speaker 3: But weren't there do you think their paths to the finals were a little bit easier different in each other?
Speaker 2: Well, so here's the thing. I think in general, Jokic has had to face tougher competition in the Western Conference. I think in their championship run, Yanna's faced far tougher competition. That Suns team was the best team in the league that year. People was gonna win the title. They were up two zero. That Brooklyn team was peak Kevin Durant, and so I can we uh, I'm sorry, no, Durant was fully healthy. Durant was fully healthy. Kyrie got injured at the end of Game four, and Harden got injured before at the very beginning of the series and then came back, and I misstated the All NBAS. My apologies. Yanni's has eight All NBAS, Jokic has six, Yanni's has two MVPs, Jokicic has three. I think it's a real debate. I think because of what happened in the postseason this year, that debate opened back up. And here's the other piece of it. Luka is five wins away from entering that debate himself. And so the Lucas stuff. People don't believe me when I demon say Luca's made first team All NBA. He's been in league six years. He's made first Team All NBA five times. Steph Curry has four. Steph Curry has four First Team All NBAS, Luca has five. Luca's individual statistical resume is why I put him where I put him, projecting it on that top fifty list. And now, and if you look at Luca's basketball life, here's what it is. At sixteen years old, he was playing in the second best league in the world. At eighteen years old, he was the MVP of the second best league in the world and won the championship. At twenty years old, he was the NBA's Rookie of the Year. At twenty one years old, he was first team All NBA and scored forty two in his first career playoff game. At twenty two years old, he took the Clippers to seven games with no other even fringe all star on his roster, averaging thirty six eight and eight I think or something like thirty six ten and I'm not sure exactly what is insane. At twenty three years old, he beat the number one seed en route to the conference finals. At twenty four years old, had a weird down team's success year, and at twenty five years old, he's about to be in the finals. It is an unbelievable run to start his career.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, he had those guys that were kind of dragging him down. I think you said when he.
Speaker 4: Was twenty two, do you hold Yokic's twenty one and twenty twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two exits against him when he's playing with Austin Rivers.
Speaker 2: Well, so, I don't so again there's an imagetween holding it against you and acknowledging that it happened. I don't hold it against you. But when Yannis was trying to defend his title and lost in seven in round two, he didn't have Chris Middleton. It's again, we're not holding that against Giannis, but it is a real part of it. And so there that was the series that Tatum had the forty six in game six and then they won game seven. Chris Middleton did not play one second in that series. Yes, games are harder if you don't have your best supporting cast. When Lebron lost in the finals to the Warriors the first time, Kevin Love didn't play one minute in that series, and Kyrie got hurt in the game one of that series. Like that, those are real factors here, and so it's just part of the I don't hold it against him, but he has not in my opinion, because of the loss this year with a fully healthy team is not. Giannis's title defense ended in round two in game seven to a team that didn't win the championship. Jokic's title defense ended in round two in game seven to a team that's not gonna win the championship, Like, it's just a lot of it is what whoever you have leading that race, it's close.
Speaker 3: Say that is a basketball mastermind and Giannis is not. I know, the question or the topic here is which which players better?
Speaker 2: And yeah, but yeah, that's true. That is true. Yannis is also arguably year in, you're out, the best defensive player in the sport. And Jokis just you know, was a part of letting Karl Anthony Towns finally for the first time in his career, have a good playoff series. So it's just it's all the the I mean, that is true. I thought Jokic's defense last postseason was excellent. I thought this postseason wasn't quite as good. And so those are those those are true stories. And so it's all. And I know people talk about Yanni's not having a bag. Well, bagless Yannis won a championship by scoring fifty points in Game six of the finals, and bagless Yannis, also, after it looked like he had blown out his knee, responded in those finals Game one, he was mediocre. When people thought he was going to be out for the year. The rest of the finals, what he did was average. Let me give it to you exactly for games two through six of the finals thirty eight, twelve and five on sixty three percent shooting. So I again, Jokics is obviously you know, there are a lot of things Jokic does better than Yannis shoot and pass, there's no question about it. But he's not a more efficient scorer because Giannis has afficient of a high volume scorers we've ever seen, and he's not in the same region defensively. I'm simply saying it is a real argument. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: So finally, Negro League stats are officially being added into the MLB record books. The Negro League Hall of Fame is in Kansas City and has always been a big part of your life. What does this mean to the sport of baseball and also on a personal level to you?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I talked about this a bit on the TV show yesterday, So I don't want to be in reruns here, but I fact of matter is this. I was at the opening of the Negro League Museum when I was a little kid, and I really think it helped. It partially helped shape who I am. I really believe that, Like I uh, I found it so captivating. I also was so lucky to become friends with the legend and actual friends with the legendary Buck O'Neill, who passed in two thousand and six, but was the voice and the representative of the Negro leagues worldwide forever. To the point to where my dad demands when I was a teen, you know, I met Buck when I was twelve, I think is when the when the museum opened where it is now, it's on eighteenth and Vine. It's big, beautiful space. And then I would see him every year at the galas and the things or whatever. I became really a big part of that museum. I was one of the only kids who was in, you know, there all the time. And Bob Kendrick, who's the president of museum, I've known him forever, and so it's just been a big part. And Buck always remembered me to the point to where Buck was doing a something, my dad was either speaking at an event Buck was at, or Buck was speaking at an event my dad was at, and my dad went over to him and said, Hi, my name's Louis Wright. I think you know my son, And Buck said, oh, you're Nicky's father, and gave him a bit, like, so, I love that place and I love that man, and I think it is real history. And so I I talked about on the TV show, and I'm not gonna get fully into all of it right here. What I am going to do, though, is tell an unrelated story, because damn it, I want to. So on the TV show, I talked about the people who are upset about this and how they're either just acting in faith or just racists, like it's one of the two. And if you're like, I'm upset about this and I'm not a racist, well then you're just acting in bad faith. And if you're like, I'm not acting in bad faith and I'm not a racist, Okay, that's fine. You're just dumb, Like you pick the hat you want to be in. You either dumb, acting in bad faith or a racist, I don't really care which whatever. And we can talk about why, like again, they're only including the stats that were in officially recognized Negro League games. That's why Josh Gibson is only getting one hundred and fifty some home runs. And it's like, oh, well, it's not fair because they weren't playing against the best competition. The idea Okay, sure they weren't playing against all of the best competition, but neither were the white guys in Major League Baseball. You know why, because the best black players weren't in that league. And we've recognized those stats forever. So all of these arguments are easily dismissed if you really want to have them. But I don't want to have them, and I told people on Twitter not to have them. But then I saw one guy who's in the media who is angry about this and chirping about this and on the wrong side of all these issues. And that guy's name is Mike North. Mike North hosted a radio show in Chicago for thirty years and then he hosted a talk show on Fox Sports Radio. And I am uh, I am here to say to Mike North, thank you, Mike, because if not for your truly unlistenably awful radio show, I wouldn't have the job I have now. So a story I've never told. I used to drive in to do mornings in Houston at five in the morning, Houston time to go do the radio show I did there. And the live radio show on Fox Sports Radio was hosted by Mike North and someone else and I'm trying to remember who it was. If one of the producers can try to google the who Mike North did the radio show with on Fox Sports Radio State in my ear if you get it. But when I tell you, it was consistently the worst radio show in America, I mean that every morning. But it was the only thing that was like ESPN Radio at that time was basically replaying the audio version of Sports Center, so it was the only people talking, and it was just what was on on my way in. There's no local radio on it that early in the morning, so I heard it every morning and every morning. Oh yeah, Andy Furman, Andy, this is this is You were an unfair casualty in this. Now, maybe you listen, maybe you should have taken control of the steering wheel a bit, But this is not about you, Andy, this about Mike. And I'm just telling you it was such a terrible show, and it was such a terrible show Tomanse that I was like, you know what, I should just have that job. And so I, on my own dime, flew to Los Angeles in the fall of twenty fifteen and set up a meeting with the two guys who run Fox Sports Radio and I'm not going to say their names, but they're great guys. I just don't want them to be drawn into this because it's a little unfair to them. They're great guys. And I had done some fill in work for them, and I had just negotiated a new contract in Houston that allowed me to leave mid contract for a national opportunity. And I walked into their office and I said, and they're like, they were so nice, like Nick, you know, you know we love you. We you know we have you fill in on our network and we didn't want it when you said you wanted to come out. We didn't want to say no. But you know, you've come a long way. It's on your own dime. And you know, we don't have any jobs, Like there's no like you can you know, I don't. If you want a weekend show, we can talk about that, but that's you're not gonna get. You know, we could have done that on the phone. I'm like, no, here's the deal. You guys know and I know your morning show is the worst radio show in the country, and you it can't be inexpensive. You have two guys, one of whom has done radio for thirty years. So I'm telling you right now, I don't know what you are paying to do that show, but cut it in half and let me do it, and you will have a show that is five times better for half the price. I should have that job. And they were, I think, taken aback, but they also knew I was right. And they they said, and I didn't know at the time that they were had just that Colin had just agreed to move from ESPN TV and radio to FS one TV and Fox Sports Radio, and this part of the story I've told before. And they said, well, listen, we're about to have some major things going on with Fox Sports Radio and more of a direct partnership with Fox, with Fox Sports One, which is what f S one was called at the time. So we're not we don't want to launch any new shows without you know, that show potentially having the real chance of being simulcast on TV. So you know, if you can get a meeting with the guy who just got hired to run Fox Sports one and he like, you know what I mean, he thinks your show could potentially be simulcast, we can have a real conversation about this. So I ended up finagling a meeting with the guy who used to run Fox Sports One, Jamie Horowitz, and pitched him on, Hey, I just want you to sign off on if I get a radio show, it you simulcasting it, because these guys I think will give me a radio show because the radio show they have currently hosted by Mike North is unlistenable. And at the end of that meeting, Jamie said to me, he was like, I just have one question for you. He's like, why have you not has asked me to give you a job? And I'm like, well, I don't do TV. And he's like, well, I think you can do TV, buddy, And that ended up being, you know, ten auditions and eight months later, this job. So Mike North, God bless you man for consistently having the worst opinions in the world. If not for that, I'm not here. And I had not thought of this guy in years. And then I saw when Major League Baseball announced the negro league stats we're gonna be incorporated that who's there firing off tho, Oh my god, the woke mind virus is infiltrating our beloved baseball statistics. I'm like, it's my guy, my guy that changed my life. Shout out, buddy, quick break, right back, What's right? All right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right. We have a brand new segment debuting in the C block, and I will explain that when we get there. We'll also get to your listener questions and comments. But right now, demons, it's time for a game we've done before. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: We are gonna be playing right in today. And first off, we got our guy Bronni here. It's new animation each time. Yes, yeah, So reports are that Bronni has had over ten workout invites but has declined most of them. It will visit at least the Suns and the Lakers. Weird move for somebody averaging less than five points per game. Bronni is declining these invites because.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not a one word answer. I'll say it again.
Speaker 3: His dad is Lebron James. That's why he's declining the inlets.
Speaker 2: So it's partially that it's partially because Clutch, for Good or for Bad, does business a little differently than the last spot. Rich Paul and Clutch tried to steer clients to certain spots where they think is best for them, even if it annoys people in Ruffles Feathers. Clutch once upon a time a few years ago, held their own basically NBA Combine just for clutch clients. They do things and make a lot of other agents mad, but they have seemed to be effective for their clients. Now, I also want to clear up some misinformation about Bronni because Rich said Bronni is not going to take a two way contract, and a lot of people in the media took that to mean Rich is saying Bronnie won't play in the G League. That is not what a two way contract means. That a two way contract is a financial designation. It means you are paid half the league minimum and you can go back and forth between the NBA team and the G League team if you can be on a regular NBA contract and spend your whole rookie season in the G League. So, when Rich said Bronnie won't be signing a two way contract, it does not mean that he won't play in the G League. It does mean he's not going to agree to it's a financial basically demand. And now, if people want to argue that a player in Brownie's position is not in position to be making any demands, I understand people saying that and thinking that, but this is a unique situation. The Lakers have the fifty to fifth pick of the draft. There are only fifty eight guys that are going to be taken in this draft. It's a fifty eight pick draft. If Bronni is there at fifty five, they are taking him. So when you have that built in floor, you then can try to, you know, play a little more aggressive. And I don't think Lebron James is now I'm talking about Lebron now, Bronni is going to sign with the Sons for the league minimum. I don't think that's going to happen, and that's the only way they could get him. I do think it's on the board that the Suns, because they are not well run, might spend the twenty second pick of the draft on Bronni at hopes Lebron signs with them for the league minimum, and when he doesn't. If and when he doesn't, well you just spend a first round pick on this guy. It's a guaranteed contract. You're invested in his success. So people cannot like the fairness or optics or any of this. That's everyone's own. I'm obviously a little conflicted. You know, I have bias this year because I don't know Bronni, but I know people very close to him. I also think that while people don't like the way Rich always does business, incredibly effective at advocating for his clients in a way better than almost any NBA agent that I can remember, and not worried about hurting people's feelings.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The reality is that what they are doing everything they can to set Bronnie up for success, and the bigger investment a team has in him, the more invested that team than is in his success.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you want to chime in on this or do you want to move on to Monsey? No?
Speaker 3: I mean I thought I was a little crazy that he was declining invites, but I get like he's probably they're probably going about it so, like you said, it's a unique situation, like going about it a.
Speaker 2: Different Yeah, I mean it wouldn't be the case for other for other guys with his draft profile, there's no doubt about it. But he's not other guys with his draft profile, So it just kind of is what it is, all right? Next?
Speaker 3: Uh, So the Pacers were swept in the Eastern Conference Finals by my Celtics, but hey, they had a pretty good run.
Speaker 2: There's a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot the so the East had a bunch of injuries this year, and some young teams are ready to take the lead. Boston's largest future threat in the East is.
Speaker 2: I think a healthy Yannis is the answer. I mean, Yannis didn't play in the playoffs this year, and last year, you know, got hurt in the playoffs and it wasn't the same guy. I think the answer to healthy, honest if Philly, if they were to get Lebron is an interesting one. And while I would like that to happen, I don't think it's going to. We got Philly's got all this cap space, so we got to see. I don't look at the Pacers as like all the Pacers they're the thunder of the West of the East. I don't look at them like that at all. And I don't think Halli Burton as close to the player Shay is so a healthy Yiannis or the Knicks if they add another real piece. I respect what the Knicks have done, but they they don't as good as jalen Is. They are still a piece away, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Alan Clark dropped a career high thirty points versus LA, but it came to another loss, So the Fever at now one in seven, despite Clark being the league's thirteenth highest score after her first few games. Clark's adjusted adjusted year one expectations are.
Speaker 2: For me the same as that they were, that she will be an All Star caliber player, that by the end of the year she will be playing at the level of one of the ten best players in the league. I think that's going to happen now. I am not going to pretend as if I have watched the Fever closely enough to talk about why they're one in seven, what their biggest issues are. I know the number one overall pick from last year who was who's also on the Fever because they had the number one big back back years Aleah Boston, after being awesome last season, had struggled considerably. But Caitlin has been fine. Guys, Caitlyn has been the only other rookie averaging more than seven points a game. Is angel like in Angels, shooting like thirty five percent as a big Caitlyn is playing, she does she look like the best player in the league. No did. I didn't. I was as high on Gitlan as anybody. I didn't think she was gonna come in and be better than Asia Wilson. I didn't think she was gonna come in and be better than the very best player in the WNBA. Does she look like she is on track to being one day the best player in the league? I think so. Does she look like she is already one of the better players in the league? I think so. The team stinks.
Speaker 3: Next Yeah, so the seventy six ers only have three players roster for next year. In a ton of cap space they have accumulated quite the wishless with it seems like they're interested in Paul George Lebron or even trading for Jimmy Butler again. Butler's feelings on a Philadelphia return.
Speaker 2: Would be Oh. I think that he would love it. I listen, Jimmy Butler wears out as welcome. I love Jimmy, but the Heat seem annoyed with him. Chicago got everywhere gets sick of Jimmy. Jimmy's a lot to deal with, and now he's getting older and he's not as available. I think that the Sixers obviously targeting Lebron would be amazing. I think it is. I don't think it is guaranteed Lebron is going back to the Lakers, but I think it is likely he's going, you know, better than eighty five percent of going back to the Lakers. Paul George would be a great fit on that team, perfect fit, and they've got the money. And so we'll see if Paul George wants to leave the Clippers. All right, let's go to.
Speaker 3: The Obviously, still some hard feelings there with the whole Tobias Harris over me thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again that was a different front office when it's a different coach and it from front office, and the only player who's still there is Embiid and Embiid has been writing you love letters for years, like you know what I mean. So the fans loved him, Embiid loved him, and the guys who picked Tobias Hairs over him are all gone, so that, you know, So it's not quite to me. It wouldn't make sense, Like what are you mad at the Liberty Bell? Like it's all different, You're mad at the arena, all right?
Speaker 3: Next, so the Vikings were allegedly trying to trade up to draft theleak neighbors with the plan to trade Justin Jefferson was looking for a record contract extension. The next team Justin Jefferson will play for will be.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna keep playing for the Vikings. But this was an underrated story that the Vikings you know, were open to potentially trading Justin Jefferson, and they seem to be legitimately, you know, anxious about giving him. Yeah, I mean, but the way to fix it. Listen, Justin Jefferson's gonna get thirty five million dollars a year as a wide receiver. It's what's gonna happen. Now, you can argue that's not smart money, but it's what's gonna happen. The Vikings are gonna have to pay it. They just drafted their quarterback. They you know what I mean there, it's I don't know why they haven't paid it already, but that's what's going to end up happening. All right, I hear we have a bonus one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Nick Wright is doing blank. If not for the great Mike North.
Speaker 2: I'm right now doing a show, probably a radio show only on ESPN Radio. That's what I think. I think that if if not for those dominoes, I think what ended up would have happened would have been this. I would have found out that Colin was going leaving ESPN when everyone else did, and that ESPN Radio was doing a reshuffling, and that you know LeBatard and you know Bamani and then le Levatar and the Bimani. I don't remember the order we're going to take over that time slot, and there was a reordering there, and I think I would have ended up, honestly, Demanse, I think we all would have ended up moving probably to Bristol, Connecticut, and I would have been doing like nights on ESPN Radio and you know, eventually parlayed that into a bigger time slot on the radio. I really believe that I had never when I say I had never planned on doing TV. Guys, when I was in college at Syracuse, the broadcast journalism major the vast majority of his TV stuff, and I remember saying, like in one of my TV classes, they were like, so that you know, we're going to learn to read off the prompter and I totally blew it off, and the professor was kind of annoyed with me because they're like, we know you're like you're into broadcasting, Like this is you know, we know this is what you want to do. And I just remember saying to them like, I'm never gonna be on TV. I don't want to be on TV. I'm not gonna be on TV. This is kind of a waste of my time. Like uh And and by the way, that's a lesson for young people out there, because to this day I'm not good reading now. Luckily, for my job, I don't really ever have to read off a prompter, but sometimes I do. Uh. And you never know where things are gonna take you. But yeah, I would have just kept doing rad you know what I mean, kept doing radio. I And so yeah, you said, I mean, life's weird.
Speaker 3: TV more than radio, Like do you enjoy doing TV more?
Speaker 2: Well, so more? It's so different. It's I don't think I love it more. I think that. Listen, since I've been doing the TV show, I either have had the radio show, because remember then I did do a radio show for two years, maybe longer a mad dog was it three years? Two years, I don't remember how long at nights, and now I do this, which is like a radio show to me. This is way closer to a radio show than a TV show. And so I love the the The cool thing about radio is the audience gets to know you as a human being. They get to know your whatever you want to share of your personal life and your family. You can have long form discussions, right, and so all of that's cool. Cool thing about TV is you get to be famous and they pay you a lot of money and so, like you know, there's a I mean it and you can see so there's a give and take to all of it. But I don't think intellectually I would. I don't think that. I think that I and again, I have never had more fun. The most fun I've ever had in my career doing my show is the number one draft pick is First Things First, right Now with Bruin Wilds. And the number two draft pick is What's Right with Nick Wright When I was on in the afternoons in Kansas City with Carmen Carrington and Jared Carter the producer, you know what I mean, like that crew, you know, So that was so like those So those are the two most fun I've ever had. Uh, And so I love, love, love what I'm doing. I was joking about it just being about the you know them that come along with TV. But it's just different. It's different to being like, Hey, I'm gonna give a thirty minute atman like things that go along with something like added benefits is I guess the way the word that is what it would mean. Um, but uh, they're just very, very different animal. And I would say to anybody that wants to do anything in media sports media in particular, there is no better training than solo radio. You're out there with just your words. You've got to create compelling, long form thoughts and arguments with just your words. And if you can successfully do a listenable, much less captivating radio show, there's you can do almost anything in media, in my opinion, A brand new segment involving motor sports next plus listener questions, What's right? All right? Welcome back in What's Right? With Nick rat Okay, So like a year ago demanse maybe longer. The producers mostly I think Kara tried to get me to start incorporating f one into the show. That that that that Netflix show was it Drive to Survive or Drive for five or I don't know. I haven't watched it. I'm gonna watch it. Though now had taken the world by storm. Everybody loved people were super into F one, it was getting bigger ratings, and I simply said, I don't know anything about it and I don't watch it, and I also kind of thought it would go away, but it's not going away. People like it. And so I was like, Okay, but if I can't talk about it, and demons can't talk about it, and Diora when she's here, she can't talk about it, what are we gonna do? Little did I know that the first I don't know if you know this about me, the first infant I ever held, my goddaughter, Sierra, who is the one of the only people still in my life that I've known longer than I've known you. That I'm I've known her her entire life, and she is now not much longer than I've known you. But she's nineteen, you know what I mean, So a little bit, you know, a few years longer. So my goddaughter and I again, I should be fair because you'll probably see this. I don't think technically she's my goddaughter, but she's my goddaughter, Sierra Faddel. She is an aspiring sports journalist and a huge F one fan. So here is what we are going to do. There are races evidently every couple of weeks. They're not every week, but on Thursday shows, before a race, she's going to have sent in an F one minute, and on Tuesday shows after a race, she's gonna give us an F one recap. Also, I am not going to I am whatever coaching or critiquing I have on her an aspiring night ten year old broadcaster is only going to come after the clips air. So every time she sends something in, it's what's getting aired. This is the best training and practice for her possible, and so the audience will get to see her evolution and growth as a broadcaster. Now it turns out there is not a race this weekend, but so what I thought made sense was for those of us that haven't been following or don't know anything about it, and eventually in the summer we might want something to gamble on, which is another benefit from this that we could learn a little bit and do something with it. So what Sierra, our F one correspondent is doing in her debut video is giving us. I told her I needed a ninety second recap of the season. That's not an easy task, but so I'm going into this blind as are you. This is catching us up on the twenty twenty four Formula One season in ninety seconds or less by our F one correspondent, the lovely and talented Sierra Fidel take it away.
Speaker 5: Since the twenty twenty four from the one season has already started, we have eight out of the twenty four Grand Prix under our belts already. But out of these eight races, Max Verstappen has won all but three, because Max Verstappen is the world champion and has been since twenty twenty one. Now these three races that he hasn't won have been won by the Ferrari driver Carlos Signs in Australia, and then the second is by Lando Norris at McLaren he won his maiden win in Miami. And then the third is the other Ferrari driver, Charles the Clerk, who won for the first time in Monaco as his home race. In the duration of EP one season, we have two championships happening simultaneously. We have the Drivers Championship for the drivers obviously, and then we have the Constructors Championship, which is for the teams. Now, after a Grand Prix weekend, a set of points are rewarded to the teams and the drivers based on their performance. Now, the current stats for the drivers championship is of course max Or Sappin leading with one hundred and sixty nine points, and then Charles Leclerk with one hundred and thirty eight, Landa Norris with one hundred and thirteen, and Carlos Signs with one hundred and eight points. Now for the constructors championship, we have Red Bull Racing of course leading with two hundred and seventy six points, and then we have Ferrari with two hundred and fifty two. Third place is for McLaren with one hundred and eighty four, and then fourth place is Mercedes with ninety six. Now these are just the top four in both the drivers and the constructors, but they go all the way to the entire grid.
Speaker 2: There. It is our first ever f one minute. I think I'm officially now a Carlos signs guy. I don't know who he is, but I like the cut of his jib. It sounds like he won a race first. Stappen just wins every year and wins every race. That's no fun. I'm gonna be a Carlos signs guy. I don't know where the next race is or when it is, but we'll hear from it again. What'd you think think? What do you think? Demand?
Speaker 3: I thought that was awesome. She did great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and Demand grew up with. That's her first time doing it for us, and that was her first take. I don't know if it was her first take, but she sent me one video. I told I was like, do whatever you want to do, but send me one video and so and Karen Daniel, who seemed to know about f one, said she did a good job. Here's the other thing I'm gonna tell you, guys, I'm not fact checking these that could have all been wrong. I have no idea. I'm gonna need you guys to be our arm budsman because in the meantime, I know nothing about it, and so I hope it's accurate, but I know nothing about it. All right, Demante, quickly, let's do some questions here.
Speaker 3: We love you. Cecie Justin Justin Field probably ask why am I doing running back drills? We think we're gonna show the video for those watching them on YouTube.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna kill him for this. I think that's smart. I see see here's the thing. I think that's smart because he's doing quarterback drills as well, but running a big part of his game. Yeah, well, that part's true. I mean that parts. Know that part's true, all right?
Speaker 3: Next, Jack Fisher, as is the thunder ceiling around what the Celtics are now a lot of really good players, but nobody who is truly great Top fifteen ever or do you think SGA can be that guy?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I don't think SGA can be top fifteen ever. But can SGA be a consistent frontline MVP candidate in the way Tatum hasn't been. I'll be honest, I don't think so, but everyone else does. I think SGA is exactly in that Tatum tier of like not actually uh consistent top five best player in the league, but right in that six seven eight range. But the under I mean the thunder. I have so many assets and chats good and Jalen Williams is good, and they have a smart coach and the smart front office. So I don't know what they're this is. You know, they're just getting started. The weird thing is SGA is older than you think. Tatum's twenty six. SGA's twenty five Lucas twenty five SGA. I found that out on this show. I remember you guys corrected me that Sga is older than Luca, and I couldn't believe.
Speaker 3: It all right, Next, Austin Tatt is this the worst long term situation? Is this the worst long term situation for the Celtics to make the finals Eastern Conference finals every year, never get over the hump due to coaching, and then never have a reason to fire Missoula.
Speaker 2: Well, so listen, I think we're getting ahead of yourself there. I don't I'm not impressed consistently by Missoula. Let's see how he does in these finals. You're obviously not going to fire him if they lose in the finals. But I think that depending on how these finals go, A lot of guys like if the Celtics get this close again, I think it is very important for the Celtics. Obviously, if they win the championship, nothing matters, but if they don't win, it's very important for this to be a great series. What can't happen for the Celtics is for them to roll through the injured Eastern Conference and then get whacked by a team A lot of people think was maybe the fourth or fifth best in the West this year. That can't happen next yep.
Speaker 3: Carl Weezer asked, why hasn't the media killed Jokic for his playoff exit. He's supposed to be the best player in the league, and any other superstar best player would have been cooked.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that's really true. I think you only would get cooked if they had this exit because he played so poorly. I thought Jokic in this second round was overall and as I thought games four and five, he was a quadrue plus. He obviously wasn't great in the opening two games, and I don't put the last two games on him, but he wasn't, you know, getting beat by fifty in game six and then blowing a twenty point lead in game seven. It's gotta fall on him a bit. Again, I feel similar to how I felt about Giannis when he lost in round two. It is like it wasn't on him, So I don't. I don't think he needs to get killed for it. The only guy whoever would get by the way, Steph didn't get killed when he lost as the defending champ in round two last year and threw the ball away. The only guy who ever gets killed for this stuff is Lebron. Everybody else mostly gets passes unless it happens again and again and again.
Speaker 3: All right, next, Buffy, Lucky Choples. I know you said there's no chance in the three to zero comeback, But if it was to happen, would you pick who would you pick for the finals?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean if Minnesota won fourth, I would say I think Minnesota would be out of gas. But also that would mean they were down three to two against the defending champs and one and then the first team ever to come back from down three to oh to win. It'd be hard to pick against some.
Speaker 3: Of the between the next series and they got to rest it with.
Speaker 2: Dallas right and during the series. But they're not gonna come back. Uh, they're not gonna come back to win it. All right, let's go to let's go to Sam Davison's question. Demonse.
Speaker 3: Sam Davison said, can't believe PJ. Washington does this podcast with Nick on a game day?
Speaker 2: Do you think you look like PJ. Washington? No, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't see it.
Speaker 2: On Oh you've heard it before?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear it. At work a little bit. Hear it at work from Maddy. Yeah, I've heard it from it, but I hear the most.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well the Jordan Poole thing, I do see. But I also think that's because I used to think, you guys when he was with the Warriors played similar styles of basketball, so like I didn't know if that was polluting my you know what I mean, polluting my brain. And again, Warriors Jordan Poole was peak Jordan Poole. I'm not talking about Wizards Jordan Poole. Goofy Jordan Poole game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I get what you said.
Speaker 2: What a great way to end the pod. That's perfect, all right to mon' say call me later. Great job everyone, Great job to the Internet people. I mean this was flawless. Talk to you guys on Tuesday. Great job CC as well. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday. Ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe Vibe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get de monsa another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,