Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio final hour.
Speaker 2: In this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show, change up our poll question for the final hour.
Speaker 3: Say good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock or you're listening on our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio Fox Sports Radio as well. Stat of the Day as always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. I already have the odds to win the Stanley Cup next year.
Speaker 3: DraftKings just sent those to me.
Speaker 2: Your edmondton Euler's are the favorites to win it next year after not winning it the last two years, followed by the Panthers. The Stars and the Hurricanes are tied, and then the Avalanche as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, we all are looking each other saying, why not the Panthers.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what moves that the Panthers have to make in the off season to keep him everybody in place.
Speaker 3: I'm going to guess that's probably yes, Tom.
Speaker 5: Or is it as simple as what's the likely of them winning three in a row? It's got to be the second best team with a runner up will finally win next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm just giving you the odds right now. According to DraftKings, I also have the points spread for tomorrow Game six thunder favored by six and a half SGA.
Speaker 3: The over under is thirty three and a half.
Speaker 2: Tyrese Halliburton with the tender calf muscle over unders thirteen and a half for him eight seven, seven to three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter at DP.
Speaker 6: Show pull question for the final hour of the program. Seat we got up there right now? Should Tyrese Haliburton play in Game six?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: Yeah right now?
Speaker 6: Seventy seven percent of that the audience have that there is some thought to rest your calf for a Game seven, if you could get there.
Speaker 2: I would arrested him in game five to be healthy for Game six. You can't have Game seven unless you get Game six. I got to make sure he's as healthy as possible. And this is the kind of injury from what I'm told, you would normally sit out. If this happened during the regular season, somebody would sit out.
Speaker 3: A game or two. Well, it's the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: But I also I want him out there because he wants to be out there, and when he's healthy, he's great for us. But I don't want him out there where he's hurt or and or hurting us. And this is where Rick Carlisle I think made a tactical error. Don't have him out there. He might want to go out there. I mean, not everybody is Willis Reid in nineteen seventy during Will Chamberlain dragging yourself out there and you hit a couple of buckets. I mean it helped that Weld Fraser had thirty six points in nineteen assists or nobody cares about Willis Reid came out and scored two baskets. It's what did you do when you were out there? Are you helping your tea? And I don't think Tyrese Haliburton helped his team because TJ McConnell was playing so well. I would have stayed with that hot hand and the bench was playing really well and you could have won that game. But I can't have Tyre I mean, I'm gonna know early with Tyrese Haliburton, I would think and if I'm okac, I'm gonna work him. I don't know who he's going to guard, but I'm gonna make sure that we work him at both ends of the floor.
Speaker 9: Yes, Martin screen rolls all day long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Paul, to be contrarian here. What if Rick Carlo thought to himself, this might be the ultimate move, or desperation move. You rest Halliburton for the Thursday night game. You let your second unit full speed ahead if you steal that game. Now you have a guy on five days rest coming back to help you in a game seven, and the pressure changes.
Speaker 2: Now the media is going to be all over him to say you have to win game six to get to game seven. You took a chance on not winning a game, and therefore there is no game seven. I understand what you're saying, but I think I would have had Tyreez Halibert and not played the second half in the previous game to be as healthy as possible for this game, and because once again, if you don't win tonight, nobody cares about game seven. Scott in Florida, Hi Scott, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Good morning, Dan, First time Midtime five nine one seventy. I'm going to take on the Panthers on the seat talk and then I have a family advice question for you too, if you'll indulge me. Got to give the Panthers their credit. You know, in the finals the last three years in a row, two back to back titles, so they're dynastic.
Speaker 10: Love that word.
Speaker 1: Got it with you, guys.
Speaker 7: But to that note, you have to give the Lightning their credit too, and you did. Dan. You've been good about pointing out their greatness in Florida as well. But Tampa Bay still ow and hockey in Florida with three Cups just outside the last two decades. Now, the Panthers are trying well to be there soon.
Speaker 3: But just saying Jaffa Bay all right, well, thank you Scott.
Speaker 2: By the way, the thing that you know, you talk to teams and you'll watch for trends. Who gets out early in hockey, who gets out early, who gets out early in baseball? Basketball doesn't matter because it you know that such an ebb and flow, you know, the points spread swings. The Panthers scored thirteen first period goals in the Stanley Cup final. They scored two or more goals in the first period in every single game. You can't come back from that, like you're constantly thinking about, we got to score gotta score, gotta score, and Florida jumps on top. And then all of a sudden, you know you're you're playing from behind, and it changes your game plan. How long you keep somebody on the ice? What is the game plan when they're on the ice, off the ice? All to those different things, Florida was just an unbelievably dominant team. And I still like what Steve Levy said in the first hour. It was his six game sweep. Yes, you had the first two games, three games that were interesting, but man, these last three Florida was a great team.
Speaker 3: Uh. AJ in Cincinnati, Hi AJ, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: I've seen therapy one six forty pm. I'm just calling and says I want to take you a monster fallow the daylight and I worse my wife at.
Speaker 2: This sounds not very good, AJ, So maybe try it again where you're not on a speakerphone.
Speaker 3: Jay in Michigan, Hi J, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey DP, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Great? J?
Speaker 13: Good?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 11: Dynasty talk goes?
Speaker 12: What about the Russian five for the Detroit Red Wings with you know, Seeve Weiserman the captain of my life? Good type of deal.
Speaker 13: And then.
Speaker 3: Michigan just dominating Ryan Day. That's okay, okay, Ohio State dominated Michigan for a long time. To bring it up. Yeah yeah, Red Wings, Yeah, I mean there's a lot of dynasties. It's not that we're purposely missing them. We're just talking about some teams and are they a dynasty? Red Wings were a dynasty, but we were talking about San Francisco Giants. They would win a title, not make the playoffs, win a title, not make the playoffs, win a title. Is that a dynasty? Did the Patriots have two different bookend dynasties there?
Speaker 9: Yes, marm If the Chiefs don't win any more Super Bowls, would they be considered a dynasty.
Speaker 3: It feels that way.
Speaker 9: The Chiefs are one hundred percent one hundred percent of dynasty, so when a super Bowl you had to go through them.
Speaker 2: Also true, and they got two super super Bowls, right, three super Bowls?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, barely a dynasty, but definitely yeah. Yeah, sure, I mean we were handing it out like you know, Halloween candy. Now you get a dynasty, and you get a dynasty, and you get a dynasty, all right, I'm fun.
Speaker 3: The bad boy Pistons dynasty. No, okay, just just throwing that out there. You know they would argue otherwise, Yes.
Speaker 4: Paul, Yeah, the Chiefs losing two Super Bowls in the past five six years actually helps them be a dynasty. It's like they're always in it. They won three loss too, but that's that's pure dynasty. That actually helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the Bills lost four in a row and nobody says that was a dynasty.
Speaker 4: No, no, not the losing. You have to have the winning first.
Speaker 3: But they did get there four consecutive years.
Speaker 4: The rynasty but three, three and two in six years.
Speaker 3: THEO in Syracuse, Hi, theo.
Speaker 11: DP so much under five to eleven, No soul in valor two twenty twists that steal, thank you, sir, you sole much thunder. Let's talk about miss dynasties, the Bills being the epic example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we've discussed.
Speaker 2: But I look at that and in the old days before the Super Bowl, if the Buffalo Bills won four consecutive AFL titles, they would have been a dynasty. Before you had the AFL NFL playing the Super Bowl, you had teams that won AFL championships or NFL championships, Cleveland Browns won NFL championships, and you might look at them as a dynasty. They weren't playing against the AFL back then. Dan and Milwaukee, Hi, Dan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Second time caller loved the show. Got a quick question Pat Casey and the Oregon State Beavers. Would you consider them a dynasty or would you consider Pat Casey the dynasty?
Speaker 2: Well, I did watch yesterday as Oregon State lost to Louisville.
Speaker 12: Yes, I know I was sad, but I was just looking like two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, twenty eighteen. I think they took him to the the region. What's the most through that span.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I didn't do a deep dive on it, but I did watch the game. Bases loaded, ninth inning, no outs, Oregon State is going to win, reliever comes in, strike out, strikeout, and then a little pop out, and I go, you just lost. And then Louisville ended up getting a couple of base runners on maybe loaded the bases as well, and then you got a sacrifice fly and ended up winning. You know, the Women's College World Series was awesome. Men's College World Series awesome. Scott in Arizona. Hi, Scott, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Good morning Dan.
Speaker 14: The other day, when Brian Wilson passed away, I got to thinking who would be on my Mount Rushmore of rock and roll?
Speaker 8: I came up with well.
Speaker 14: Brian Wilson, of course, Bob Dylan and John Lennon. But I couldn't come up with a fource. Do you guys have any ideas who else would be up there with those?
Speaker 2: With those three guys, Oh, I'd need time to think about that, but thank you, Scott. Way too many people to put up there, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: Because is he talking about songwriters artists just in general?
Speaker 2: Well, those are all songwriters if you think about it, Dylan, Lennon, Brian Wilson. But yeah, there are way too many people you could put in there, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 9: Is McCartney, Lennon like magic Bird?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's a two people for one slot.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yes, it's tough to not put Chuck Berry in that the spot. I mean he's the godfather of rock and roll. Sure that's the blueprint, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're always.
Speaker 2: Going to offend somebody if you go, Okay, there's my Mount Rushmoreton.
Speaker 3: What about you know, well, where do you think Chuck Berry got it, he got.
Speaker 9: Is.
Speaker 2: Mozart was Mozart rock and roll before we even knew what rock and roll was.
Speaker 3: Really, here's kind of emo. Yeah, it's a little sensitive, but he wasn't a singer songwriter.
Speaker 2: He just played piano and sweepy bangs and like stun't know me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: He died early. That's rock and roll, that is super.
Speaker 3: But he didn't die at twenty seven. Now, I think I was going to say if he.
Speaker 2: Had started the trend of rock and rollers who died at twenty seven, because there's so many that died at twenty seven.
Speaker 3: You imagine if Mozart was the first to do that.
Speaker 4: Tearing up Victorian Tellroom.
Speaker 3: No, he did, he was. He was kind of wild. Yeah, he was a rock and roll star. Like back then it was a big deal. Plus you were playing in front of kings and queens, and if they didn't like how you played, you know, you probably see the Guillean team beheading.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think seven someone loses their head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there will be no encore. There will be no encore. Mike and Georgia, Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan?
Speaker 3: Hey Mike.
Speaker 8: I was we're talking dynasties.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the Braves fifteen pennance in a row, but they only made the world They.
Speaker 12: Only won the World Series the one time.
Speaker 2: It's tricky with the Braves because we keep thinking, all right, you had three Hall of Fame pitchers and you won one World Series. They should they're in these should have been a dynasty.
Speaker 3: Uh. I'm gonna give you a.
Speaker 2: Credit that you're always there, but you're not all the way there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Marden, would you consider a great run but out of dynasty?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it was a great era like the Bills.
Speaker 9: Yeah, great run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you only won one World Series, which still seems mind boggling that you would have that talent and they could only win one. Let me see Joseph in Arkansas. Hi, Joe, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan Patrick?
Speaker 10: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 15: I can, Hey buddy, Hey, shout out to all you guys. I just wanted a quick second. You were going on about how the stations play the hits, and I really just wanted to shout you out on the fact of the Monday after the French Open conclusion, how that was the first thing you talked about. I've only been in the sport for probably three or four years now, so that was super cool for someone like you to address it, announce it. Actually know what you're talking about. But on the flip side, the whole fritzy thing with Gage would he didn't swing the bat and and you came at him like, hey, you got to play the game. You know, that's the whole ordeal. Like he went up there with the bat and he didn't swing, So to me, that's not playing the game.
Speaker 10: It was bush league.
Speaker 15: He ruined the perfect game.
Speaker 3: Like I said, thank you guys, all right, thank you Joseph.
Speaker 2: There was a compliment in there. You get on base, that's all. Get on base. I don't care how it's only three to nothing elimination game. You lean into a pitch or they'll allow you to lean into pitch or not get.
Speaker 3: Out of the way.
Speaker 2: Get on base, Get on this when you take a walk, not necessarily swinging the bat either.
Speaker 3: We don't have a problem with that. Is it bush league? Probably? But I don't. I'm at that point. I don't. I'm trying to win. I'm not here.
Speaker 2: I don't get style points if they go yeah, you know you guys did win, but you know he didn't try to get out of the way.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Whatever it takes, and I don't think it was one of those where it's coming right at me. I'm just gonna stay here stationary. You know it was a breaking ball. But whatever it takes to get on this, I will not be no hit. I will not let you get a perfect game. I don't care. You can criticize me all you want. I will not let you have that moment at my expense. I right will take a break. More phone calls coming up back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. More phone calls coming up. Paully has a good idea bad idea? Can you have individual dynasties? I brought this up earlier when Lebron went to what eight consecutive NBA finals? Is he because he's the common denominator? Is he a dynasty? Michael Phelps? Is he a dynasty?
Speaker 2: I'd say yes, Usain Bolt Dynasty, Tiger Woods Dynasty, Jack Nicholas Dynasty, tennis players dynasties like individual or at least it's dynastic, but you know, it's fun to talk about also to remember what people did, how long they did it for teams, how long they did it for consistency. What do you do in the years when you don't make the playoffs? You know that's the knock on Jordan, if there is really a knock, Well, what did you do in those other six years or aside from those six years, the other years when you didn't win a championship? And Mike's not playing for a championship, he never lost one, so it was they were winning a title or they weren't. Whereas lebron was getting to a championship and he wasn't winning as often as Michael was, but he got there far more often. And I think getting there those teams, those players deserve far more credit than they get because it used to be with the Super Bowl, we'd be like, man, the Broncos are bums.
Speaker 3: They got blown out or the Bills lost again.
Speaker 2: You got that far, but then what happened on the Grand Is stage really affected how people remembered you. And I think we've done a disservice to the Buffalo Bills and the Minnesota Vikings. And it affects guys with their Hall of Fame careers because we use the titles as sort of the here is what puts somebody over the top, or you didn't win a title, this doesn't put you over the top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline, Okay, here's a question for the room. Would Michael Jordan's career be considered more impressive or less impressive if you were six and three in the finals instead of six and zero in the finals? Less impressive even though he made it, got his team there three extra times.
Speaker 2: I would count it. But you know, people don't see it the way I see it. What Lebron did is incredible to get to the NBA finals. Mike got there, and Mike One didn't even get to a seventh game. You know, for a long time, Joe Montana was the best quarterback because he went to four Super Bowls and never lost, never threw an interception. Well, what Brady did? You're getting to the Super Bowl, You're you're winning, but you're also getting there. And I think that consistency of you're at least in the conversation of winning a championship that year and I think that we devalue that for some reason that you lost.
Speaker 3: Therefore, how can we give you credit?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: Time, like if Brady.
Speaker 5: Went three and seven to that point or two and eight, is Montana better than Brady?
Speaker 16: Like what that?
Speaker 3: Yes, he would be, he would be viewed as better.
Speaker 16: Even though ten super Bowls to four. I'm just I know, it's insane.
Speaker 2: This is this is how we reckon. This is what Lebron was saying. Here's Lebron on his podcast with Steve Nash talking about our obsession with championships.
Speaker 17: I don't know why I was discussed so much in our sport and why is the all be all of everything? You sit here and tell me Alan Iverson and Charles Barkley and Steve Nash, you know, you know, wasn't unbelievable, Like, oh, they can't be talked about or discussed with these guys.
Speaker 9: Is because this guy.
Speaker 17: Won one ring or won two rings or one like It's just it's just weird to me. It's like Sam Peyton Manning can't be in the same room with Brady or telling me that Dan Marino is not the greatest slinger of all time, or he can't be in a room with those guys. Because he didn't win a championship, they don't discuss those things.
Speaker 2: I still think this is a roundabout way of Lebron talking about, Hey, I didn't win as many championships as Michael, but that doesn't mean I'm not the goat. You have an obsession with winning championships when it's about a lot more than just that.
Speaker 3: It's a lot more than one player.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I'm reading way too much into this, but it feels like felt like when I heard it, it's Lebron saying I might end up with four, but look at what I did my entire career, and he's got a point, Like I can say, the best resume in the history of the NBA is Lebron James. A number of times he went to a championship. He won four titles, MVPs, all time leading scorer up there and all time leader and assists, steals, all Star performances, appearances, still relevant, still playing well, still getting twenty five at night, you're in your four.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I look at that, it's hard to argue with that.
Speaker 2: Now you can say, well, Bill Russell won those titles he did, he was the lynchpin he was the guy on the greatest dynasty that we've seen in sports. He wasn't a great offensive player, he was just a great player. What do you need from me? That was So it's different with that because that's a team. The whole team went to the Hall of Fame. Your coach, GM is maybe the greatest of all time, pulled off some of the greatest trades in the history of the sport, maybe the greatest trades in the history of the sport. But I think if you look at start to finish living up to the hype everything that he did, you can make it, you know, a worthy argument that he's the greatest of all time. But it'll come back to Mike never got to a seventh game. Mike won six titles, Mike took time off. If you had one game to win, who do you want, Michael or Lebron. You know we've done this many, many, many times. But I think Lebron is getting at getting to a point of I don't need six to be the greatest of all time. Raj in Chicago, Hey, Raj, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 18: Good morning, mister Patrick. Thanks for taking my call. As always, I'm not sure if anybody mentioned San Antonio Spurs, who the opposite of I'm a dynasty. I mean he won five ships in fifteen years, but none of them what consecutive. They was always in in composition for a title. But you know, does anybody look at them as, you know, a dynasty?
Speaker 13: Thanks taking my call?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Ron. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think we look at that Spurs run as a dynasty.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Mark, Especially when you have one player that's a constant, which was Tim Duncan, you can consider that a dynasty. If it was Tim Duncan for the first four championships and then somebody else, it might not be. But if there's a constant, then I consider a dynasty.
Speaker 3: Tom in North Carolina, Hi, Tom, wents on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey DP, I'm gonna take a twist on what PAULI was talking about earlier with actors. As far as dynasty, I'm gonna put it in like a movie category. Would you consider maybe Fast and Furious, Jason Bourne, The Mission Impossible movies? Are they dynastics?
Speaker 19: Sure?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 2: I guess Rocky Dynasty, Godfather Dynasty.
Speaker 3: Two movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Godfather takes a big hit on Godfather three.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the sequel was better than the original. That only two yeah, yeah, yeah, two really good ones.
Speaker 4: That would be like The Bulls. The Bulls second run of three titles people think was better than their first run of three titles.
Speaker 3: Evan in Texas, Hi, Evan, went's on your mind today?
Speaker 19: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. Six five, two fifteen. Hey, I'm a podcast listener. So I heard the whole Todd sequence about the guy not getting out of the way from the pitch yesterday afternoon, so I wanted to just chime in a little bit. One of my favorite things about when Todd really gets on a roll is just being able to hear Marvin laughing out loud in the background through Todd's open mic. I think that that alone cements Todd is the King of comedy.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Todd is really funny when he's on trying to be really funny. That's part of the problem for a guy who thought he was a stand up comedian.
Speaker 16: We're seeing what happened on stage if your time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, thank you, Evan. Yes, you are funny, but you've had you know, uh. Sandlers said this.
Speaker 3: Will Ferrell.
Speaker 2: Will Ferrell said that Todd's really funny when he's not trying to be funny.
Speaker 5: If I can make people laugh, whether it's a tender or not, that makes me feel great.
Speaker 2: And that's why you are the King of content, is what you are and our most valuable dan end Pauline has good idea bad idea?
Speaker 3: Would you explain?
Speaker 4: All right, this is a something I've been thinking about. I want the room to judge it. It's a two parter. Its one sports and one's pop culture. You guys know MTV if you ever watch MTV, it's still a channel. I didn't even really know it was still a channel, like you could find it on your basic cable. So for the past five years, MTV has basically had on repeat this show called Ridiculousness. It's kind of a reality type show. It's horrible, by the way, and but they've had it on It's not funny nor inventive, but they've had it on repeat for years and years and years. The one main channel for MTV what If MTV, which I think debuted August first one, nineteen eighty one. What If On this August First, they went back and started over and started playing day by day. For the next ten years, what MTV broadcast from nineteen eighty one to nineteen ninety one in real time, like that August first day and just play it. Yeah, and all the old school MTV fans, the older crowd that loves it could go back and watch what was the cool videos, the new shows even like the shows like the Real World would start. But do that for the next ten years and recapture that old audience.
Speaker 2: But you have to pay the artist if you're going to be airing their videos.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because MTV has a separate channel that still shows some videos, but it's not on basic cable. Yeah, let's say they had the rights and could just hit play and.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm fine with that. Bring back, you know, have the old VJs. Yeah, I'm fine, it's awesome. Yeah, give me Allen Hunter again. Yeah, Martha Quinn, Martha Quinn, Yeah, loved Allen Hunter. Yes, yes, Mark, who are these people? This might be age thing?
Speaker 9: It is. I was gonna say, Carson Dally. I was like, who's Allan Hunter.
Speaker 3: That's total request live blah blah blah blah bubbah. Yeah. Well, paula short of the Goat, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: So let's say that was an okay idea how about this one as well?
Speaker 3: What my emi, there is.
Speaker 4: No ESPN Classic anymore correct. I think it's it's gone. I think it's gone gone. What if every night around midnight or something like that. On one of the ESPN channels, they played in an hour long sports center from nineteen eighty two nineteen eighty six on this almost like this day in history, but they just said, on this day, we're gonna play the June what's the date today? The June eighteenth, nineteen ninety Sports Center and you could tune in and watch it. What were the cool highlights, what were the cool interviews? And for the old schools sports fans and the new school fans, they could learn about what was going on on that date.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm fine with them, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so long as I get approval of my hair when I'm going to be on, because there are a couple of couple of years where it's kind of rough.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it'd be fun.
Speaker 4: I like those ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you came up with them, That's what I really Yeah, you really like those ideas.
Speaker 3: But those are good?
Speaker 8: Is there?
Speaker 3: Fun? Yeah? Scott and Virginia, Hi, Scott, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 20: So a few things first, of all, I'm not a Lebron James fan, but I agree with them on this one, don't. I don't understand the infatuation with championships, specifically into getting in the Hall of Fame. And you know, I'm a big baseball fan, and you know, they don't talk about baseball players Tony Glenn, Rod Crew, how many championships they want to get in the Hall of Fame. So you can't elevate your entire team when there's you know, in baseball thirty two players in football eighty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it helps a pitcher.
Speaker 2: It helps when a pitcher has won big games in the World Series.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Scott.
Speaker 2: And you're right, we don't hold Bonds accountable for not winning. He was a great player. You know how many World Series you know, did stand Usual win, Ted Williams win, Babe Ruth win. Like, we kind of have an idea, but I don't know if it matters, but you do. You're elevated when you go Kurt Shilling playoffs, man John Smoltz playoffs, Andy Pettitt playoffs, Whitey Ford playoffs. You're elevated if you're a pitcher because you can go out and win a game yes, Mark.
Speaker 9: Baseball was about numbers. I remember four h six was Ted Williams, Willie May six sixty, Babe Ruth seven to fourteen. Those were That's what was important, not the number of championships. I had no idea Ted Williams never won the World Series. Yeah, I told him maybe I just read it in a book somewhere. Yeah, So that wasn't important. It was just about the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely numbers driven. I don't know if we're trying to think, who do you hold accountable for not winning? I mean, Bond's greatness, but he never won, and who else would be in that category? And Jeter gets credit for winning And granted three thousand hits will still get I mean, he had far more than three thousand hits, but that'll get you in the Hall of Fame. But his his status is elevated because he won and he was really good in the postseason.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 9: Is there any players that are in the Hall of Fame where you're like, Eh, if he didn't have that World Series championship, he might not be in.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's some guys who were in the Hall of Fame, but it's a while ago where you're like huh, that guy.
Speaker 9: Some of those old Yankees probably.
Speaker 2: There, there were I just remember looking through and you're going, I don't remember him being a Hall of Famer, Yeah, PAULI, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It does feel like in football, it's clear cut. If you get a Super Bowl, it's hard not to do as a quarterback. As a quarterback, you know, like if Phil Rivers had one Super Bowl victory where he was MVP, we wouldn't even discuss him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but La Danian Tomlinson didn't win anything, and nobody says way never won anything. It's quarterbacks, quarterbacks, quarterbacks, and it feels like pitchers, or at least it used to be. Not anymore in baseball, but if you wanted to it was held against Clayton Kershaw. He was going to be a Hall of Famer. But it's like Greg Maddox not good in the postseason. Tom glab An average in the postseason. John Smolts, you get in the Hall of Fame because you're a great postseason pitcher. Jack Morris probably got in the Hall of Fame because he was a really good postseason pitcher.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mark, if Andy Petti didn't get busted for the peds, is he in the Hall of Fame because he had a great postseason career.
Speaker 3: Probably so, and he pitched for the Yankees. Yes, probably so. But then he get popped twice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, PAULI, I think it's once for pettit and he jumped on the grenade. Remember after he got it, he jumped on and did the interview two days later, and I was trying to get back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they see that's so phony.
Speaker 4: It didn't help his cause.
Speaker 3: No, so anybody who gets hurt, then you have a whole passed to use steroids to get back because you got to help your team.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get somebody gave him that advice and he's like, yeah, I'll just say I'm the ultimate team player. And I wanted to get back. Mm not so fast, Yes, yes, Hunt or you.
Speaker 5: Could always misremember his teammates that card they put it.
Speaker 9: In my smoothie.
Speaker 16: I don't know what my trainer. Why would he put that in.
Speaker 2: My Thank God that we're so past that. At least I hope we're past that. As a kid who might not kid anymore, but he played minor league baseball, and I told this story in greater detail.
Speaker 3: But when they knew that they were going to be tested.
Speaker 2: There was a shake that they could drink and they would always test negative and they'd get a heads up and then you know, you drink your shake. Because in the minors they were far more diligent of trying to, you know, keep the steroids out of getting to Major League Baseball. The commissioner, Bud Seelig said, I can test him in the minor leagues. I'm not going to be able to do it the same way in the major leagues. But this is a guy now, but he was a kid at the time and he had They said, they took this shake and it covered everything up.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break. Last call for phone calls?
Speaker 16: Do you mean a prescription?
Speaker 3: What we learned? What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 3: Last call for phone calls? Well, we learned. What's day in sports history?
Speaker 4: Paul, Dan It's very light today, almost very almost, So I'm gonna give you this week in movie history nineteen eighty four. Here are movies that were released in a eight day span in nineteen eighty four, Long Time Ago, Streets of Fire, Diane Lane, Willem Defoe's debut fun movie How About This one? Ghostbusters three hundred million dollars released today, The Karate Kid Okay, Top Secret with Val Kilmer kind of his breakout bachelor Party with Tom Hanks before it became a serious actor and one of your favorite Dand Cannonball Run two.
Speaker 3: I thought everything was answered in Cannonball Run one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: I kid Adam Sandler about if they do Grown Ups three, I'll go, didn't we answer all the questions in grown Ups and Grown Ups two?
Speaker 3: And He's like, no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Danny, So like, hey, if you want to have grown Ups three and you want to put me in, be more than happy on this date. In two thousand, Tiger Woods won his first US Open. He won by fifteen shots over No, No, that's the US Open. You won by fifteen shots over everybody. They should have put Tiger alone on the leader board and then gone to the second page just out of respect for what he did. Nobody should be up there second. And it was Ernie Else and Miguel I hel Jimenez, who is second in that US Open at Pebble Beach.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I don't know if.
Speaker 4: There's a sports comp for what Tiger did there to blow away the field of the other best people on earth.
Speaker 2: Katie Ladeki. Oh, but she's not swimming against everybody.
Speaker 4: Kind of is everyone had a chance to be in that pool.
Speaker 2: But not everybody is in that event. Yeah, but you know, the total dumb when you're finished and then they're I mean they're gonna be done. It's going to take a few seconds when you're dry, Yes, when you're driving home and they just finish. The dugout altercation between Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: This is on National TV.
Speaker 2: Reggie fails to hustle to catch a fly ball, comes into the dugout and Billy Martin is waiting for him, the manager of the Yankees, and Billy would have fought him. I mean, he probably would have gotten crushed by Reggie. But imagine if that would happen now, like one Soto comes in and doesn't hustle, Well, that can actually happen.
Speaker 3: I don't know if any like we're not.
Speaker 2: Such sticklers of running hard anymore, you know, Ah, you got to it.
Speaker 1: You know, you.
Speaker 2: Tried kind of I don't know if we're benching somebody. Let me see Jeff in Washington. Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Born Dan? Danette's first time and very long time six feet about ten seems to be in two ten. Okay, So I wanted to talk. I wanted to talk to you, Dan about your comments about lebron So. One of one of the things I shared with the guys that in the back room were that without hearing the context of the conversation or what the question might have been, because I am respectfully in opposition to what your thoughts are in that, I believe that it just has to do with you know, why guys that haven't won championships shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, Barkley Nash.
Speaker 3: But they are. They are in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 8: Both Nash and Barkley.
Speaker 17: So.
Speaker 8: But the pedestal, the pedestal that they're.
Speaker 2: Held to is Dan Marino's in the Hall of Fame, Alan Iverson's. Everybody mentions in the Hall of Fame. They've all been recognized for their greatness.
Speaker 8: Okay, I got to I stand corrected in on my apologies and thanks for taking my call down, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No worries, Jeff. Once again, these guys were all recognized as among the greatest you know, at their positions in their sports. That's why I don't know exactly what Lebron is saying. Yeah, they didn't win a title, Okay. It felt like he's saying, I won't catch Michael. Let's look at everything I've done, Why can't I be the greatest of all time?
Speaker 8: This is just my.
Speaker 2: Opinion, and I don't know the context other than what he said. The first thing that struck me is Lebron thinks he's the greatest of all time. He does, and he should.
Speaker 3: I just he's still trying to convince the Jordan purist.
Speaker 2: Hey look at this differently. I think that's what he's asking. That's just my opinion. Todd, call for Lebron?
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 3: Okay? James in Virginia, Hi James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 13: Thank you for taking my call. Brother. Happy Wednesday, DT Dan, that's man. Salute the commanders and speaking of the commanders, and then Washington Redskins, Hail to the Redskins. My favorite Dumonde of all time. Between eighty two ninety one, five NFC championships for Super Bowl, three Super Bowl rings, and you were right, fiveman, Ripkins. But it was Doug Williams in the eighty seven Super Bowl against the Denver Broncos with the greatest quarter of all time thirty five points and seventeen plays. What a game, man, Too bad, I was only four. I couldn't watch it like that. I'll give a little pushback if you win three out of five, if the goals win championships. The San Francisco Giants are definitely a dynasty. Two comments, real quick. But Lebron James a dynasty just by himself. Lebron James nine straight finals, three titles and haul of very good. Michael Vick, hate to throw it on you in the last five minutes, but if Michael.
Speaker 7: Vick all of very good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not a Hall of Famer if I include college en pros, but they don't do that with the NFL.
Speaker 4: Yes, Baul he unfortunately his first ballot of Hall of should have done a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we look at him as a disappointment, not like the stephen A said that Giannis, if he doesn't win another title.
Speaker 3: Will be an underachiever.
Speaker 2: What really, you think you'd be an underachiever?
Speaker 9: Did you see him when he first got today?
Speaker 3: He came out of no way. He's one of the great stories in NBA history.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what do you do with it?
Speaker 3: He won two MVPs and then a title.
Speaker 4: They would leave a Janis with a solitaire ring.
Speaker 3: Todd, what did I learn today?
Speaker 16: And Mon Shepherd said the scottingerpon on Kobe was good luck trying to stop him.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun today. Thanks for joining us. We look forward to trying to entertain you tomorrow. For Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paula, yours. Truly, this has been the Dan Patrick Show.