Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and we have such a great show for you today. Think like an economist. Justin Wolfers joins us to talk about the good, bad, and very bad economic vibes coming from the Trump White House. Then we'll talk to MS now's own Jacob Sober about his fabulous new book Firestorm, the great Los Angeles Fires, and America's new age of disaster. But first the news Somalie.
Speaker 2: We thankfully taped our episode before the horrific shooting in Minneapolis the other day. I can't think of how long it's been since I've been that angry. As we're seeing here is Mega will never have any shame about what they will turn into a culture war and a message to their base that if you do horrible things, they will stand by.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about a few things in this story. One is that the police, or ice or any law enforcement does not have the right to kill you, even if you do bad stuff. They do not have the right. We still have due process in this country, you have bodily autonomy. You cannot kill people even if you don't like them, even if they are a quote unquote leftist, as the New York Post said yesterday. But that said, I think the worst part of this story. And look, not all victims of police violence are beautiful, red haired Christian women who have six year old children who they've just dropped off at school and a glove compartment filled with stuffed animals. Most victims of police violence don't necessarily look like that. But Magilworld has stumbled into a hornet's nest, and they are just keep they just keep kicking at the hornets. Here is a woman who is every woman in Minnesota, right. She looks like everyone in Minnesota. She acts like much of Minnesota. You know, a lot of times Trump World will somehow imply that a victim of police violence is a criminal or deserves this because they were maybe a drug addict, or maybe you know, we're involved, or maybe held a weapon. This is a woman who had just dropped off her six year old at school. So with that, there have been videos that we have seen of her trying to make a three point turn while the ice agents jumped in front of her and shot her three times point blank. Now there is a new video which has audio. So Renee Nicole Good says that's fine, dude, I'm not mad at you, and the ICE agent shoots her three times in the face and says, fucking bitch, we all rage.
Speaker 2: Al hawk activities right there.
Speaker 1: But also, you can't shoot people in the face you can't like, even if you don't like them, even if they make you upset, you can't shoot people in the face. And then, by the way, after she's shot in the face three times, a thirty seven year old woman with a six year old child, she is then denied medical care. There is a doctor who comes and tries to treat her, and ICE says no. So not only is this like murder, but it's some kind of terrifying where they keep her hostage, and instead of acting the way normal government might, which is to say we have to investigate this, we can't comment until it's investigated, they without any investigations, say, you know, this is not how any of this looks. She was an activist, she was this, and.
Speaker 2: Then moleftists movement right radical leftist movement.
Speaker 1: And they malign her. And then they say the FBI is going to do the investigation and they won't let Minnesota do the investigation. This is not a federal government that any state wants involved in their state. And this is where you're going to see a breakdown of federalism. And I can't tell you how scary it is to have a federal government that we pay taxes to and they come in and do insanity to us. Right, Minnesota was just minding their business and Ice and Border Patrol came in, killed one woman, shot two other people yesterday and now won't let the local authorities investigate because they want what do they want? They want to have their own people do the kind of investigation you see in a Banana Republic. I cannot express to you just the level of corruption. And by the way, two other things. The reason you know that Trump world knows this is a loser and knows that this is going to fuck them and by the way, good.
Speaker 2: God, yeah they fucking got But.
Speaker 1: The reason why they know this the problem is because you don't see Donald Trump out there right dancing and being jubilant. You see Jade Vance. And Donald Trump is more than happy to let Jade Vance be the face of failure.
Speaker 2: It is true, he's going the full bided Kabbola and just letting JD do all the unpopular fish. What I think though, is great. Hats off to Congressman Jared Moskowitz is he did a profound performance of the Congressional for yesterday, bringing the attention to something we need to do, which is it's time for Ice Barbie Christi Noman to go, and many Democrats seem to be calling for this. Though I wish someone in the leadership were a little more stern with it, but that's a different story for a different time.
Speaker 1: She should be impeached. I think that she should go. I think that Trump world, unless you hold these people accountable, they will not do anything. Two good things happening the Democratic leadership has done that has been good War Powers Act. Five Republicans voted with Democrats in the Senate on this War Powers Act, trying to prevent Donald Trump from doing any more stuff in Venezuela. My strongest guess is that Donald Trump has completely lost interest in Venezuela and we won't hear from it again. Probably not great for Venezuelans. And then the other thing that they did, which I think is good, is that we had Leader Jeffries get this Obamacare tax credit. This expansion for three more years, and that has been seventeen Republicans voted for that. So look, that now goes to the Senate, and there's a world like just like with the Epstein files, which by the way, this DJ has not released to release one percent of the Epstein files. It is still pretty good to see some of these Republicans breaking with Trump. Obviously not what we need, but still good.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of the Epstein files, Molly, I think this maneuver by Congressman Rocanna and Tom Massey never would have seen us seeing Thomas Massey doing good things a year ago. They're going to try to get a judge to oversee the release of the Epstein files so that Pam Bondi could stop obstructing and protecting the pedophile cabal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they want a special Master. Rocanna has been really great on this and this is a really small We know that there's a reporting that says only one percent of the Epstein file stuff has been released. That is absolutely insane. I am just super horrified by that. I think, as far as I can tell, that there is a real appetite for releasing of the Epstein files, and I think that Donald Trump is doing everything he can to obfuscate and try to not let people see them, not have the DOJ release them, and so having a special master would be really great. So I think that this is a really smart way to do it. Again, these guys have had to just do everything they every which way they can to get people to pay attention to this.
Speaker 2: So, Maali, the continued competence of Mega Rain's true. Again, they just are the most competent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're known for their competence.
Speaker 2: He only hires the best people. And the prosecutor has been disqualified from investigating with James A. Judges ruled great stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's where we are. Trump blocked a Trump appointed federal prosecutor from overseeing a criminal investigation into New York Attorney General. Do you know why he did that, Kelly? Because US district judge ruled that Trump loyalist John Sarcone has been unlawfully serving as interim US attorney for the Northern District of New York. There have been a couple of Trump people where he's put them in as US attorneys and they have been ruled to be illegal. So this is yet another one. This federal prosecutor has oversted his legal one hundred and twenty day appointment, and we saw this. This was the thing we saw with everyone's favorite pageant queen in the Southern District of Virginia. You know what they're doing is they're doing emergency power stuff because they can't get congressional approval for stuff. And that is the secret to Trump is you can't get the courts. And that's why, like when we talk about fixing the system, one of the things that we're going to really need is we're going to need all of those emergency powers. I mean, there are emergency Powers Acts that have not been repealed since nine to eleven. There are things that are working not the way they're supposed to. They're working on these sort of emergency war power stuff and that has to stop. We have to sort of reset back to a system of like the most checks and balances you've ever seen, where you have real democratic norms and you really don't have any of these sort of special emergency powers. Because that's how we got That was sort of the first step towards this presidency of a kind of unchecked power. We have exciting news over at our YouTube channel. This second episode from our Project twenty twenty nine series is out now. It's a reimagining where we examined what went wrong with democrats approach to politics and how we can correct it and deliver changes to help people's lives. The first episode dove into the very sexy topic of campaign finance reform, and our second episode deals with an even sexier topic, antitrust and regulation. We look at how antitrust and regulation can protect American citizens and make America thrive in an era of rampant corruption and predatory crony capitalism. We talk to the smartest names in the field like Lena Khan, el Vero Bedoya, Elizabeth Wilkins, and Doha Mechi. Republicans were prepared for when they got the levers of power. We need democrats to be too. So please head over to YouTube and search Molli John Fast Project twenty twenty nine or go to the Fast Politics YouTube channel and find it there and help us spread the word. Justin Wolfers, as a host of The Thing Like an Economists podcast and a professor at the University of Michigan, Welcome back, too Vast Politics.
Speaker 3: Justin Wolfers, Well, I love Hall exaud If you always said about talking, ready can only she say, Thank goodness, it's economic style.
Speaker 1: Can totally.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Things are going great every time we talk about the numbers that come out of this admin. We finally got some labor numbers from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. Talk us through what these numbers mean.
Speaker 3: Okay, can we do a second rehearsal. Will you sound liss bored?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm not bored. I'm cynical about these numbers. And I don't know how cynical to be about these numbers, because remember, I mean, I know it was six months ago, but Trump did fire the head of this organization because he didn't like the set of numbers they released. So I want you to sort of talk us through what they mean, if they're real, etc. Etc. It's not boredom, it's cynicism.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, So the numbers were good enough that he didn't fire anyone this morning. Right, So let me go back a step and bring your whole audience in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We're always trying to get a pulse of what's going on in the economy. You might think that measuring the economy is very straightforward. It turns out, for an economy this big and this complicated. It's very very complicated, indeed, because.
Speaker 1: You have different element of the economy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you even know who's doing business? How do you know how many people are out there? How do you know? You might be able to say what share of people have a job, but how many people are there in the US even there are so many unknowns and this makes this a surprisingly difficult technical task. So the most reliable indicator is what we call the jobs report. That's why you and I, Molly tend to talk on average after the first Friday of every month, which is when these latest numbers come out. Measures the unemployment right, which is one of the best indicators for how the economy is doing for you and I, But the one the markets really watches employment growth. They watch that because it's got very good statistical properties. There's more signal than noise normally in a normal hero then end the lesson there and move to talking about the world. But we're not in the normal moment, or in a moment where as you say, Molly, the president fires statisticians who give him facts he doesn't like, has tried to put in place Charlattan's and clowns and undermined the very notion of truth. So how much should you believe these numbers? And the answer is so far these are as honest as can be, so I believe them. Now, let me be clear about what I do and don't believe. What I believe is that these are a serious estimate of what's going on, using serious, high quality statistical methods. Now, remember it's always difficult, so that doesn't mean they're exactly right. Second thing is right. Now things are even more complicated because we just had a government shutdown where some numbers weren't collected, and even more, the Bureau of Labour's satistics is under resource.
Speaker 2: But what I don't.
Speaker 1: Believe is that we had the longest government shut down ever, so there's not a precedent for it.
Speaker 3: Right, For the first time since nineteen thirty nine, we literally skipped a month of measuring employment and unemployment in the United States, which we've never done before.
Speaker 2: I know, Molly, like me.
Speaker 3: It kept you awake, thrashing in the middle of the night, yea cold space.
Speaker 1: What did it to the viewers?
Speaker 3: I should that the audience. I should know Molly would call me and just say, hold me, what is going on? So all of this makes things more complicated. Plus, the economy is even more complicated because what we have is an enormous immigration shock going on, and so it makes it even more difficult to know literally how many Americans there are. What hasn't happened is these numbers went to the White House, and the White House said no, no, The Department of Lies and Propaganda would like you to believe the following instant. So these are true numbers. Now here's the other way I know they're true. They don't serve the administration's purpose. What happened this month as we learned that job growth last month was fifty thousand, which is very very low. That's so low that you could say you'd call it nearly zero. We had almost no job growth. And then the other thing that happens is every month we learn more about what happened earlier in our history. Sometimes mentioned businesses don't send in their reports of how many people are on payroll on time, and they send them in a little bit later. As a result, we revised the numbers to make them more accurate. And one of the really big things that happened was that we learned in the fact that October is one of the worst recent months we've had that jobs fell enormously in October and they rose by lesson we previously thought November. Again, for the audience, I don't want you to take month to month up and downs very seriously.
Speaker 4: Often, what we'll do is.
Speaker 3: We'll average over what's happening over the past three months, and when you do that, here's the payoff long later. Finally, the poff when you look at the last three months, we're losing.
Speaker 1: Jobs and it's proof that they're not juicing the numbers. The point you're saying is that they if they were juicing the numbers, they have made them great.
Speaker 3: If they were liars, if there were high quality liars, these wouldn't be the liars they'd tell. There's a little bit of leave unsaid right there, but no, these are absolutely serious estimates. What these estimates tell us, though, is that we're in a job's recession, by which I mean it's not clear. A recession typically means output is declining. It may be we're going to find out, but the number of jobs is declining, the number of workers people in work is declining. It's been declining for the past three months. It's also the case that for wildly oninteresting technical reasons, these numbers may be overstated. FED Chair Powell said of this last press conference, he thinks they're overstated by sixty thousand per month. Based on these numbers, ever since Liberation Day, remember the beginning of Trump's trade war that happened in April, We've created almost no jobs. It may be that we subsequently learned we've actually been shrinking the number of jobs we have in the economy since Liberation Day.
Speaker 1: So it could literally be zero right now.
Speaker 3: It's awful close to zero.
Speaker 1: But it could literally be negative fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: More than that, it negatives fifty thousand per month over the last seven months.
Speaker 1: So and this is just and you don't have and these measures don't measure every aspect of employment, right because certain employment comes in later. That's why there's revisions.
Speaker 3: What Powell said, FED Chair, who has the best economic staff in the world, is he said, their estimate is that these numbers overestimate monthly job growth by sixty thousand for quote technical reasons. Now, let me explain what technical reasons are so you understand why this isn't so simple. Really, what the way we measure employment is we send out forms to all the firms that are out there and ask them how many workers they have. Now, if I sent out a form to one in every hundred firms that are out there, then all I do is I take the total number of workers and I multiply by one hundred, and that would tell me how many jobs they were. The problem is, we don't know if we're sending them out to one and one hundred or one on one hundred and one, because we don't know how many firms there are. The reason for that is every day businesses are dying and every day new businesses are being born, and the government doesn't necessarily see them until the next tax season. So we literally don't know how many businesses there are. And so if there are fewer small businesses being born, or if there are more old businesses dying than we'd previously thought, and there's good reasons to think that's the case based on other statistics than our existing methods, which are honest, are honest, but inaccurate. So it looked no one expects that the current pessimistic numbers that show no job growth. Let me get rid of the negatives, double negatives. The current numbers show no job growth, effectively no job growth since Liberation Day. Everyone expects that to be an overstatement, too rosy, too optimistic. Wow, If anything, reality is worse.
Speaker 1: So I want we're going to go to the next question here, which is the Dow, which is not the economy, the markets, public markets.
Speaker 3: I just want to stick on jobs for a moment because I think that I really do want people to understand the job market is in a very dire strait. So the first thing I want to say is, this is the end of December data, and so we have the full year.
Speaker 2: What happened in twenty twenty five. Twenty twenty five is one.
Speaker 3: Of the worst years outside of a recession, we've ever had. Second fact I like, just because I think it's fun, is since Liberation Day, Canada has produced more jobs than the United States. Canada, who arguably will meant to be one of the biggest losers out of trade War, Canada, which is one tenth the size of the United States, is producing almost twice as many jobs. So really, what's going on is the United States economy has stopped? Why problem?
Speaker 2: Why look around?
Speaker 1: No, I know why the American economy has stopped, But I want to know why Canada. So what Cana has picked up all the slack.
Speaker 3: No, it's not that American jobs have gone across the boarder necessarily. It's just that the American economy has stopped and other economies have not.
Speaker 1: So they're picking up this slack. So if you could buy, if you could import export with the US, and now you can't because it's too expensive, you just go to Canada where it's cheaper.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to buy at that.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, there are two economies that happen to me, next to each other. One of them has stopped growing and the other has not. That right tells you something has gone wrong in the United States that has not happened elsewhere through North America.
Speaker 4: That's the one.
Speaker 3: You think of. Anything that's happened in the United States but not in other countries.
Speaker 1: No, certainly not, and certainly not a trade war that's good and easy to win. Even though the real number of tariffs we know from the New York Times supporting is the tariff numbers are actually about half what the administration is they are, it's still enough to kill the economy.
Speaker 3: Let's go back and explain that two ways. I want to be clear about what the New York Times is saying, and I want to be clear about what's going on with the economy. I'm sorry for being a boring professor. Every time you see something interesting, I'm like, let's slow down and explain right now, it's.
Speaker 2: Good, okay.
Speaker 3: So a question I've gotten frequently is if tariff's are so bad, why hasn't it destroyed the American economy. But one of the things is we actually haven't had tariffs very much.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Remember Trump was elected in January, everyone said, where's your tariff regim and he finally got around to.
Speaker 4: It in April.
Speaker 3: He announced it in April and Liberation Day, and then seven days later said, oh, just kidding, I didn't realize that would freak global markets out. I'm now going to take ninety days off. He then took ninety days off. That takes you from April through to April, May, June, July, and then he got to July and then realized he hadn't made ninety deals in ninety days. In fact, he'd made none, and said, well, we're going to put the tariffs back on. But he realized in that ninety days he'd forgotten to think about what they should be. So he gave himself another twenty four day extension, then announced a set of tariffs actually were remarkably similar to what they'd been way back in April. And then his tariff nerds said, well, we can't get that entered in the computers quick enough. That'll take another seven days. And so once we start to faff around, it takes to like August or September until we get tariffs, by which point he also starts offering exceptions. So went back, renegotiated with Canada, and basically most trade with Canada became tariff free. He backed down on a range of things. Remember the term taco. And it turns out, if you're willing to bring just the right bauble to the White House, you can whisper and say, hey, we'd like a special exemption or exception here there or somewhere else. And so it turns out there's the tariff regime as announced, and there's the tariff regime has actually implemented. So first of all, the announcements were months ahead of the implementation. The second thing is the announcements were big and public, and the walkbacks were fairly private, and so it turns out the amount of tariff revenue we've taken in is much less than you would have expected given the bold pronouncements, which is to say, there are now so many exceptions, loopholes riddled through the whole darn thing that and I think there's as good news. Trump has actually implemented fewer tariffs than you said he would. That's the reporting from the New York Times. So we do have tariffs, but they're not quite as bad as Trump.
Speaker 1: And they're at a lower rate than he says they are.
Speaker 3: Right now, let's come back, Well, if there's not huge tariffs, what's going on with the economy? So, first of all, one, these are still big. These are still the biggest tariffs we've had in about eighty ninety hundred years. Second of all, tariffs aren't the only thing. Tariff's might be the only thing people like to talk to me about, but they're not the whole economy. So what else is going on in the economy? I think the first thing is a huge crash in confidence. You look at consumer confidence, it's never been this low. You look at the share of Americans who judge the quality of American macroeconomic policies being poor. It's literally never been this high right away, that's going to cause problems. The second thing is you've got this tremendous rise in uncertainty. Right The uncertainty is partly tariffs. Will we get into trade war with China next weekend probably depends on what's happening with Epstein more than anything else. The uncertainty of those far greater than that, right. Remember the CEO of Intel walked into the White House and walked out having accidentally left behind ten percent of his company that somehow got nationalized. The White House is taking big positions in private sector companies. The White House is calling CEOs and telling them what to do. The White House is picking up foreign leaders and just bringing them home. The White House is deciding their wives and their wives, and the White House is deciding if and which states American states that wants to invade next. All of this it's tremendous cause of uncertainty. We're two weeks away from a healthcare overhaul. Of course, we've been two weeks away from a new healthcare plan now for ten years. All of this means if you were my staff and you came to me with a big vestment project. He said, justin we should invest millions in this new factory. I would say to you, hey, Molly, how much does it cost to wait a few months and see if some of these regulations actually pan out in ways that would undermine my investment. I've always got the possibility of delaying, and that's become an absolutely compelling choice now for a lot of companies. And that's part of what's going on with the economy too.
Speaker 1: All important and relevant things. So let's talk through what we are going to see now. The markets are doing really well, and there's a set there's an understanding that it's like a ke shaped economy that there are it's a recovery where we're seeing tech giants make money. Maybe it's an AI I mean, is this a bubble or is this a part of a healthy economy? Explain to us what is happening.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to start again once a lot of there, so we'll go slowly. Let me start with the claim that the stock market is doing well well. It's perhaps the White House's most frequent economic claim. They're like every economist out there says, our policies suck, but look what's happening to the stock market. Now, the thing is, the stock market reflects two things. That reflects the underlying innovation impulses from the private sector and then possible changes caused by the public sector. One way of figuring out what they is going on with the private sector is to look in other countries, because things like AI are genuinely global, right, things like a shift in global demand genuinely global. And so once you do that, it turns out that the US stock market performance has actually been genuinely weak. Almost any other industrialized country you visit has had stronger stock market growth since Inauguration Day than the United States. We're at the very very bottom. So that says there is something that's driving global markets up. Whatever it is, the US is doing worse relative to every other country. So normally, if I were to look for, you know, what could an administration claim credit for, I'd say, compare the US to the rest of the world. Well, the US is doing worse than the rest of the world. That says markets have become relatively less optimistic about the US economy relative to every other economy since the administration came to power. So the claim that the stock market is says markets believe that what the administration is doing is good. I think is upside down and wrong. It shows the infatuation. It shows that American business reporters know how to look up the Dow Jones, but don't know how to look up what's happening in the rest of the world. I know it's weird to say that Americans can be a little inward looking, but.
Speaker 2: Certainly for a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, actually, I think stocks are not voting for the president. Second, what the hell is going on? Well, we are in the middle of this extraordinary AI transformation, whatever you think of it. AI is an extraordinary technology. There's two parts to the AI story. One part is the long run, which is many of the jobs that many of us do, it many of the boring parts of our jobs computers are going to be able to do. I choose to speak about that in optimistic terms, which is, if it takes away the boring parts of yours and my job, my you and I get to spend more time doing fun things. And that's been what past technological revolutions have done.
Speaker 2: So the structure of our labor.
Speaker 3: Market, of our economy, of our lives, what our children are going to grow up and do is going to.
Speaker 2: Be fundamentally different.
Speaker 3: But that's a statement about future decades. In order to create that AI companies are going to have to build out these huge data centers, which are literally just big rooms full of computers. And so what they're doing is they're at a race for the future, and so they're spending trillions of dollars gajillions, eleventy kajillion dollars on these data centers. And it turns out that that's a huge part of what's actually growing in the US economy right now. So then you can think about the US as been two economic stories. There's what's going on with your AI buildout, which is going to be short term, and there's what's going on with the rest of the economy. Well, the AI build out has been very strong. That has kept stocks up around the world. It's kept the American economy growing. The rest of the economy, though it has been very weak, in particular the parts of the economy Trump claims to care about, and that his policy agenda is meant to benefit manufacturing, the goods producing sector, which is helped by which if anyone is helped by tariffs, it would be goods because tariffs are on goods, they're actually doing incredibly poorly. Much of the rest of the economy is looking pretty weak. Is that responsive, Molly.
Speaker 1: Yes, justin Wolfer's will come back?
Speaker 3: Yes, when of you won.
Speaker 1: Jacob sober Off is a correspondent for NBC News and ms NOW and the author of Firestorm, The Great Los Angeles Fires, and America's New Age of Disaster. Welcome Too Fast, Pology.
Speaker 4: It's Jacob sober Molly, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. So let's talk about this book. You were on the ground covering those fires the minute they started. You grew up in one of the most affected areas, the Palastaates. Yeah, yeah, so let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: I'll cover a lot of things in my time at MS NOW and before that MSNBC and NBC News, but nothing, I think, in all of my years here has ever made me sort of stop and think I cannot understand or comprehend what I'm witnessing in real time, as watching my own childhood neighborhood carbonized in front of my face, before my eyes, and in a way, I felt like, you know, almost it was a time machine. I was going back in time, and I could see my childhood literally disappear as I was reporting on Primetime MSNBC on the night of January seventh, twenty twenty five. And really, I think now that I've spent so much time diving deep on this is to look into the future. It was the fire of the future, and firestorm means a lot of things. It means the actual literal event that I experienced, but it's all so the politics around the moment and how that contributed to what I went through, and so there's so.
Speaker 2: Much it read.
Speaker 5: The book was really like a real time, minute by minute TikTok of what it felt like to be inside the middle of the costliest wildfire event in American history. But it's also an exploration of sort of the factors that made it happen and why it's definitely going to happen again.
Speaker 1: When you say the fire of the future, what does that mean? Because I think of that part of California because of the winds, it's a different situation, So explain what you mean.
Speaker 5: I think that the Fire of the Future is a lot of things, and I didn't really understand what it was until I went to Washington actually in the fire happened in January, and I went to Washington for the correspondence dinner and we did this town hall on Ms. Stephanie Rule, and I with fired federal workers. That same weekend, I sat down with a career emergency management official that I had met when I was covering the family separation crisis. And he went from AJHS and tried to help the children during that to leaving that job because of his opposition to the policy, and went to every mass casualty fire event over the last five years. And this guy, Captain Jonathan White, said to me, he's the one who said what you experienced was not some aberration. This is the fire of the future and it's here now. And the reason why is and he said, give me your notebook. I was taking notes sort of a Mexican restaurant in Washington, and he said he drew an X on the page and he said, it is the confluence of four things. One obviously climate change. Two our infrastructures falling apart. Three changes in the way we live with electric car batteries exploding. You know, these toxic substances of the past now coming out. But for misinformation and disinformation, the amount of misinfo and dis info that permeated literally as toxic as the fire and the things that we're all breathing in ourself was, if not unprecedented, I think a sign of what's to come, particularly during this administration, which is why the book is called Firestorm, the Great Los Angeles Fires in America's New Age of disaster. Donald Trump was a president elect, but it didn't stop him from interjecting, injecting himself into the not only the recovery process, and lying about what was going on, and picking fights with Gavin Newsom and Karen Bass, but really in real time as the fire was unfolding. I don't think it is an overstatement to say it changed the way that people experience the fire itself. No politician, Democrat or Republican has absolved for and there'll be lots of investigative reporting how did this happen?
Speaker 4: Why did it happen?
Speaker 5: But the thing that makes it new and different is the amount of politics that surrounds events like this today and how harmful it is to the people that experienced them.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about that more because that is really interesting. So the disinformation, misinformation is certainly one element of this and the politicization of something that is right should not be politicized one way or the other. But the thing about this fire and why it was so much worse than any other fire we've had, maybe ever, right, was because it moves so.
Speaker 4: Quickly Hurricane force wins. Yeah, I mean hurricanes.
Speaker 5: I've covered up the natural disasters, have covered humanitarian crises all over the world. But what this was and why it was different was that you had hurricane force winds coming over and it was predicted by the way. I mean, this is a story as much as it is about the fire and about the politicians you know, who are involved in the fire, as it is about the workers, the government workers who were involved, the first responders who were involved, the people that try to stop us, and the National Weather Service. Two guys in particular, doctor Riel Cohen and Dave Gomberg from the National Weather Services office in Oxnard, just west of LA predicted that these were we're called mountain wave winds. If there was a spark coming over the Santa Monica Mountains or the San Gabriels, would result in catastrophic fire like we have never seen before. And guess what, that's exactly what happened, and all it took literally in the Palisades was you know, there are two different approximate causes. I guess you could say of the fire the Palisades was a holdover fire from an arson fire seven days earlier and an Alta Dana. The Eaton fire was faulty electrical equipment. The prevailing theory.
Speaker 1: Is falty electrical equipment.
Speaker 5: Where when you look at the San Gabriels, yeah, and Eaton Canyon, there are these huge lattice steel towers that run electrical equipment up and over the San Gabriels, and one of them was inactive and through a process of electrification, yet one spark, and once that spark happens, it led to literally not only thirty one deaths between the Palisades and Altadina, but literally thousands of homes destroyed. I always think that these events become x ray vision, and for me they were, especially in the aftermath of reporting this book x ray vision about the things that are underneath the surface of our society. And in the homeless capital of America, more unhoused people sleeping on the street than anywhere else. Instantly, tens of thousands of more people were homeless forced from their homes, and we're only a year in, but so many of them have not returned, and so there's just so much, so much to talk about, so much I learned at the end of the day, it's a story about people as much as it is about politics. And while this is a tough story, it's also a hopeful one because I met so many people with whom I shared, you know, the experience of I lost my own childhood home in this fire. My brother lost the house that he was living in, friends of mine on both sides of town. My son had his ninth birthday party in Altadena at a pizza place called Sidepi that burned down in the fire. And so there's so much that we share too. And that's why as depressing of a year as it was, as hard as it was for me to cover this and to spend the better part of the last year researching how something like this could happen, I left feeling really hopeful because of the people that I got to meet and learn about, whether it was JPL engineers two hundred of them lost their homes in the fire living in Alta Dina to Caltech, or the firefighters that did everything they could just to stop the fire from each and every home.
Speaker 4: That's why I love this job. That's why I love getting to do what I do.
Speaker 1: I want you to talk about what it's like now, because it is environmental catastrophe. I would love you to talk us through, like the stages of the post fire, what the area is like now, what it looks like it could become.
Speaker 2: There's so much.
Speaker 5: Work to do, and what I had hoped was that what it would be was sort of a unifying moment. And I can talk about all the details of the recovery, but the reason I hoped it would be unifying as obvious. And there was one story in particular that's in the book that to me exemplifies how we sort of took a wrong turn. I was standing in the Palisades on the second morning of the fire. It was January eighth, and I was about to go up on a special report with Lester Holton. I looked down at my phone and it said Katie Waldman was calling me. Katie Waldman is now Katie Miller, which was in my phone as Katie Waldman because I knew her during family separation as the junior most Press deputy at the Department of Homeland Security. She married Stephen Miller during that policy. This is Stephen Miller's wife. And while I told her I had to call her back because I was about to go up on this special report, she texted me, just like so many other people did when I was in the Palisades, can you go check this address. You're the only person I know who is there. And I said, what could this possibly be about? It was Stephen Miller's parents' house. She asked me to go by and check and see if it was still standing. And just like I did for the kids that i'd oaken carpool or my brother, more other people that called, I did. I went by and it had burned down. And I had hoped that it was going be this moment of like Olive Branch, that we would find common cost. And to your point about the recovery in the aftermath, not only was she working for Elon Musk, who was spreading misinformation about why the water sources had run dry during the fire and amplifying Donald Trump's conspiracy theories about the fire during the fire, but this is an administration that has decimated so many of the key agencies that are going to be critical in the recovery. National Weather Service meteorologists have been fired. Scientists and NASA's Earth Science program that study wildfires are on the chopping block. At NIOSH National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. I had stood there on the corner in Morgantown, West Virginia, talking to some of these employees that look out for the health and well being of firefighters and firefighters safety at a time when there were a risk of cancer more than ever before. I had firefighters during this fire say because of the environmental catastrophe. I thought during the fire and certainly after that, I'm probably going to get cancer from battling this. And that office was decimated by this administration during the DOGE cuts, and the list goes on and on.
Speaker 4: That's just a partial list.
Speaker 5: And so when you talk about the recovery, Yeah, there are toxic substances all over as part of these fires, and there will be more when a fire like this happens again. The question is how do we deal with them? You know, the answers we have to reckon with the fact that politics is getting in the way of us actually doing that.
Speaker 1: Are people rebuilding or now slowly?
Speaker 4: I went to McNally Avenue.
Speaker 5: McNally Avenue is the street that I interviewed Gavenusam on for me the Pressed the Saturday after the fire started. He and I spent I think twenty minutes there talking about what he would do, and you know, he by the way, you know, nobody's absolved in terms of the politics of this, about what they've been able to do and what they've been able to accomplish. He promised a Marshall Plan two point zero in the wake of the fire, and there's still a really, really long way to go. But on McNally Avenue where I met Kate Henigan, who's a senior JPL engineer who lost her home and her story is detailed in the fire or Herbin Lloyda Wilson, a married couple who met at UPS and are incredible too, incredible working class pe people, like so many people in Altadena, that block was it looked like it was firebombd you know, And I was just there, I think last week, checking up on the block again. I'm going to see them actually tomorrow, and there's one home or two homes that are starting to be rebuilt. It's a long way from coming back from this, and that's the case also on the other side of the town in the Palisades, because in addition to becoming victims of this horrible, horrible tragedy, we live in a city that is unaffordable.
Speaker 1: But is it safe to rebuild there? I mean, what's the toxicity in the groundwater?
Speaker 4: And then, yeah, it's such a good question.
Speaker 5: The La Times has been doing and I was with Tony Briscoe actually last night LA Times reporter who has done some extraordinary reporting on why the federal government didn't do soil testing for certain toxic substances the Army Corps of Engineers. The answer is when the La Times tested the soil, I think, he said, because the federal government wasn't twenty percent of the homes, if I have this right, had the toxic substances above the level of what would be safe to rebuild. And so the onus is on so many home owners and people to decide whether or not they even want to come back now knowing that this stuff, whether it's lead or asbestos, which is in the lungs of the firefighters who battled it, but also in the ground. According to this reporting of so many the people who want to come back to their homes.
Speaker 4: I mean, what would you do. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I would not come back. Yeah, wouldn't you not come back?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 5: What's the question my own brother is facing in the Palisades. Their daughter was born in the weeks after the fire. They're not going back to their house anytime soon. And it's a part of the story that this firestorm, this hurricane of fire. I have never seen anything like it, by the way, and I describe it in detail in the book embers flying horizontally, buildings burning horizontally, as as the fire flies past her face with data mount arrowinds.
Speaker 1: I mean, as as a student of Joan Didion, as all female journalists consider themselves to base more successfully than others. This is what she writes, you know, she writes about this all the time. And I do wonder how much of this, Like, obviously, environmentally we're in a lot of trouble and the climate has changed in numerous ways. But I just wonder how much of this more for my own edification, Like what is California here? And what is because the wind stuff? I don't know the say it to Anna, I don't know that that I mean, it may we may see changes in the jet stream that will create that, but we don't have that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 5: Nobody's written more beautifully about the Santa Annas than Johan Diddyon.
Speaker 4: Another.
Speaker 5: I mean, I read so many books about fire as I was sort of researching how this possibly could happen. Mike Davis wrote The Ecology of Fear, and he famously made the case for letting Malibu burn in the wake of those fires.
Speaker 4: And the thing that makes me think.
Speaker 5: About, in addition to really how this has been a grieving process for so many, especially me in particular, but tens of thousands, if not millions of people who live here and experience their city falling apart, and then, by the way, followed by the ice rates that happened here.
Speaker 4: And there's intersections with all of that.
Speaker 5: The day laborers who were working to rebuild are being targeted by the same administration as they tried to rebuild from the fires. An undocumented worker was killed as he was chased from home depot across the two ten Freeway that was engulfed under an umbrella of smoke from the flames in January.
Speaker 4: Yeah, climate change is a big part of this.
Speaker 5: But when I say when I talk about a proximate causes, it's not the only one.
Speaker 4: And if there's anything that I have taken away from.
Speaker 5: This is that the story that is told in my book in Firestorm is a story that in some issuer has already happened. Look at Lahina people literally jumping into the ocean two years prior to run away from another urban conflagration fueled by winds just like this, and Maui exactly, and the campfire in Paradise in northern California. At the beginning of Newsom told me a story. I spent a lot of time with Newsomb for this book. He told me a story of how when he was governor elect and Jerry Brown was governor, Trump came out to Paradise.
Speaker 4: What did he call it, pleasure or didn't golf Paradise? I don't remember when he called it.
Speaker 5: And that was the first time he had seen something like this, But since then he has gone to fires with similar inputs. I'm at change related inputs all over California. The difference between the LA fires and those were this was a urban conflagration, This was a city in multiple locations because of the winds that you describe ember cast that went for miles and miles things for catching on fire, miles away from the front lines of the blaze, and that in terms of climate, in terms of the mountain wave winds that were predicted by the National Weather Service workers colleagues of the guys that had been fired by this administration since then, that was the thing to me on the ground, and as you'll read about, that was the most the most unbelievable thing to experience physically, you know, I could. I remember one night it was almost Stephanie Rule. It was the first night of the fire. I could barely stand.
Speaker 1: Up straight right because it was so winding.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't even feel like wind.
Speaker 5: It felt like you were being picked up and thrown around every direction you could imagine within seconds. And that's why when people want to point a finger at what happened here, I'm not so sure that there will ever be one person to blame. There'll be plenty of investigative reporting about like could there been more fire trucks preposition, should Karen mass have been back from Ghana in time?
Speaker 4: Could Kevin Usom have done anything differently?
Speaker 5: Should the reservoir have been full in the Palisades, you know, you name it, and then investigative reporting will go on for years and years and years. But the reality is, once those these guys predicted it, once the fire sparked, there was nothing you could do to stop it. And that's what I hope I captured well in the book, which is that this was once the train went off the tracks, there was no turning back. And that's where the politics of the moment really took this to a place that didn't need to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jacob sober Off, I hope you'll come.
Speaker 4: Back anytime, Molly for you anything anytime. Thanks for caring about La.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we love La.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: No moment, Jesse Canna Malli.
Speaker 2: There is some blockbuster reporting from four h four media who continues to kill it. And this is some of the most disturbing report egg I've seen it a while, which is that ICE now has a tool that uses surveillance technology to track phones without a warrant and follow their owner's home or to their employer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is a great example of how we don't really know what's happening here, but ICE has billions of dollars like billions and billions and billions of dollars. These are these two surveillance systems called Tangle and Weblock. And there are surveillance systems. They were purchased by ICE. ICE, remember, has a gazillion dollars. Weblock can track phones without a warrant and follow their owners home or to their employers. Okay, so first of all, we really have ICE operating in like an extra legal you know, they're operating like Donald Trump. They just don't think the law applies to them. So and here's this will have sort of you will have your city, neighborhood or block will be monitored by ICE. They can track the movement of the devices and their owners over time, follows them from places of work to other locations. According to the material that describes how the system works from four four Media, it's really scary. It is stalking. It should not be illegal. It's a huge violation of our civil liberties. You know, maybe it's for deportation, maybe it's for intimidation, maybe it's for any number of things. I mean, for example, Renee Good was not a danger. Even if she had been a danger, she should not have been murdered. But she wasn't a danger, and she wasn't here illegally, and she wasn't the worst of the worst. In fact, she was an American citizen who had just dropped out for a six year old at school. So we know these people. They are not focused on the worst, the worst. They're just focused on hurting people and doing Trumpism and blaming people for getting her. And so here we are, ladies and gentlemen, mass deportation now right, it wasn't a vibe. It was what they were thinking. And by the way, none of that was about deportation. Right. It was about violence, it was about hurting people, It was about crackdown retribution. Yeah, that's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.