Speaker 1: Welcome in everybody to Fantasy Bros. MLB. This is the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. Is Me, Joey p Joe, Pi Zipia, and today we're gonna take a look at starting pictures. That's right, the Ultimate Guide is back, but we're gonna dig a little bit deeper with my good friend Nick Pollock from Picture Lists. And who better to talk about a deep list of pictures than literally a guy who does nothing all day but make lists of pictures. This is what he does. And as you can see, he's also in transition. If you're watching on the YouTube channel, make sure you subscribe. We're trying to get to twenty five thousand, by the way, by opening day, that's our goal. He is transitioning the bedroom office situation. There some living arrangements changing for some wonderful reasons. But Nick Pollock, it's like an episode of Property Brothers over.
Speaker 2: There right now, Oh my gosh, let's just not talk about that. I sound good though, I got the mica and I got some random things to make sure just for you, Joe, and I sound as good as I can. Thank you so much for having me though. This is the fun of the year where we spent all this time for four or five months, just be like this guy's right, this guy's right. And now we've got our flash cars. We've got a little bits of like, this is the thing that I care about with this guy or not. This is why we do it. This is great.
Speaker 1: Now. Our plan today is we're gonna go through the tiers thirty one through fifty. Then we're gonna do fifty one through seventy, and then seventy one through one hundred. Then outside the top one hundred, we've each got some guys that we're gonna outline, but really we're gonna pick Nick's brain about a lot of these names here in these tiers that you should be targeting in your fantasy drafts upcoming. And I'm very happy because some of the names that Nick put on his list are actually names on my list too, So I feel really good about It's nice when you know the guru agrees with you, and sometimes we don't agree. That's what makes the fun shows. Sometimes we do agree, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when we do well.
Speaker 2: Well, Joe, do you ever call yourself a Guruh?
Speaker 1: No? I don't like any of those guru experts. Things like that I'm an I'm a host and an analyst. That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guru is always for me, is always just like I feel like I need to have like droopy clothing and I like earrings.
Speaker 1: Smell like Patrulli. It's like a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in sense going and stuff, which is nothing wrong with that. There's a time and place for that.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. Man who knows we've got that new office going in. You could put a hookah in, you can do a lot of things going in there.
Speaker 2: I could be options. But no, we're here to talk about all these pictures. And I before I even begin, I want to be very very clear. Is so difficult to do a ranking that works for everybody listening. You guys are in different leagues. You're in very shallow leagues. You're in ale onlys or drafting holds and fifteen teamers. And when I do my rankings, when I talk about guys, I'm very specific to one format, which is your general standard twelfth teamer, because thats what the majority of players play in. And I have a moment in my drafts that's around fifty five or so where I shift heavily in what strategy you should be going for. So beginning in like thirty to fifty or so is going to be about, Hey, I want guys who I find cure, who I think that their floor is going to be still productive and I'm never going to drop them, and then they have upside for more on top of being like an SB three or so, it can hopefully be like an SB two SP one. And then after that it's all about hunting for as much upside I can decide on early in my draft because once you are sorry not in my draft early in the season, because you should be taking advantage of the waiver wire. This is the most plentiful waiver wire we've ever seen for starting pitchers. And instead of going for those boring guys that like, yeah, sure the projections like it, that's fine for the entire year. To win a league, you don't want just value at that roster spot. You want to beat it. You want to turn that SB seven into an SB four by the end of the year. And to do that you have to take risks, don't You got to throw away projected innings and health concerns and just be like, who is going to give me good quality that I can figure out early my draft, and that's around like fifty sixty or so of the starters off the board. So I just want to preface that it's a great friend, because I've come on this show before, Joe and I've gone into these ranking battles with this and now it's fast and stuff, and that's just been thrown out the window. So let's get it straightched.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could look at it in the sense of like you've defeated all oncomers and now it's just you here chatter with me. I mean, you can tell that to fast at least. Before we get going here, a quick bit of business, drop your comments below because we have another giveaway here. If Fantasy Bros. MLB, somebody's gonna win assigned Billy Wagner Baseball. That's right, Hall of Famer now Billy Wagner Curtsey of our good friends at Pristine Auction dot Com. All you have to do to win subscribe to Fantasy Bros. MLB YouTube channel. That's pretty easy, and right now drop a comment below on this or any video. That's it. That's all you gotta do, and we'll be announcing the winner right here on the channel. So make sure you turn thosezonifications so you never miss a live stream, you never miss a podcast, you never miss anything. Here Fantasy Bros MLB, and you might just win assigned Billy Wagner Baseball. Pretty good way to start off, all right, So here we go. Let's talk about the guys thirty one through fifty. Now, this range has some names on there that I feel like have a lot of potential this year. You got the Roki Sazaki's at thirty three. You've got Grayson Rodriguez at thirty five. Maybe he's ready to finally be the mantle. It seems like that's what the Orioles are counting on when you let Gordman Burns leave, Hunter Brown terrible, April brilliant the rest of his starts the rest of the year. You've also got some guys who kind of reclaimed their careers last year, guys like Jack Flaherty who bounced back. And then you've got guys returning from injury like Sho Hael Tani is just the pitcher. Shane mcclanahan's in this group, sandyel Conscios in this group. So a really interesting composition thirty one to fifty of names, all of which I feel like at one time, either last year or in recent memory, have been very productive. So I want to start with one of your targets here, and it's a guy that I am targeting in this group a great deal. He's coming in currently right now as a thirty seventh pitcher off the consensus board of ADP at Fantasy Pros Justin Steele. This is a guy who has pitched like an ace. Even Aga is getting all the attentions still and ryfle so he was terrific last year. The Cubs are all in. I feel like they smell blood in the water in this division. Steele when he's been healthy has been terrific and it hasn't necessarily been arm injuries for Justin Steele. That's also something I think people forget in that equation. So why is Justin Steele a target for you in this range in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty clear to me. I have this little mini tier of pitchers actually right around the around SB twenty that are your high volume pitchers who have a good floor to them with I don't think they're going to hurt you in ratios at a zer or whip who also have a potential to go twenty five percent strikeer rate or higher, and they aren't really known as your thirty percent strikeout guys. Some people are afraid that they might turn to a twenty percent, twenty one percent. They're maybe a little bit about the ratios. But I see Justin Steel as one of the more underrated pitchers this year. And to put this in perspective, last year opening Day, pulled the hamstring trying to fuel a ball of the line and came back and needed some starts to really get back into his rhythm. And then at the end of the year they shut him down entering September because he had some elbow inflammation. No tears, no nothing. It was so not a thing that he even started two weeks later, and the Cubs clearly should have just shut him down if there was any actual problem. So if you take all the time in between them, it's four months May twenty seventh to August twenty seventh for Justin Steel two four five e arra one oh six whip with a twenty six percent strikeout rate, and this is over seventeen starts, one hundred and three innings. The best stat though, is he has a thirty two percent ICR in that time, And I know ICR. What is this stat? You know, hard hit rate, you know, barrel rate. ICR stands for ideal contact rate. Essentially takes all of those and says, hey, there's also these players and burners. There's also the solid contact anything that's good for the hitter, and as a pitcher, you want that to be really low. What we normally see is like a forty percent rate and above that is just like, oh man thirty two is one of the best in the majors.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So what Justin Steele does is he gets strikeouts, he gets volume, he doesn't allow hits. He has a seven percent walk rate in that time. This guy's amazing. He does it with a fastball that changes shape as he wants to, says straight upstairs, and then uses cut action against Righty's inside two different types of sliders, a harder one and the bigger one. He's really good at what he does. He's so stable in a fantastic floor. I want Justin Steel everywhere. It's easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I love him as like a combo. When I'm starting my you know, rotations out there is my number two and oftentimes I'm getting him there off the charts. Also friend of the channel. He's been on our NFL show because he's a big fantasy football guy that's also a sport. Nick Pollock, I don't know if you're familiar. Yeah, I know I am, unfortunately, but he's a big fan of the football podcast, so we had him on for a mock draft. I'd love to get him on to talk about baseball. It's hard to get the baseball guys on to talk about baseball. They want to come on to talk about football. It's a crazy world we live in. Another guy that's on your list is Jared Jones, who last year and when he started the season pretty strong beginning three five six ERA was first sixteen starts, ninety one innings, one point one zero whip good, strikeout rate nine point seven k's per nine. Then in the second half a five eight seven ERA over six starts, only thirty innings. Obviously, we know how the season ended for him. So what is it that you're seeing out of Jared Jones when you're looking year over year that makes you encourage that he could return this investment, because in all fairness, he is going in that same range as some other guys that have been, you know, out there in the major leagues. Let's say the Kevin Gosman types. Right, Maybe a down year for Gosmin, but a guy that's done it a few times now. So why Jared Jones instead of a guy like Gosman as a target?
Speaker 2: Oh, Man, Gosman is your your bust candidate. I mean he has.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you. I'm just using him as an example.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: You know. This guy's proven Jones very tempting.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what makes it so fun for Jared Jones is that he's going around someone like Kevin Gosman who doesn't have that kind of ceiling. I think that Jared Jones actually has at this point because Gosman is still going to be a whip problem. Eurray is still kind of in question and we saw his splitter get worse last year. Day were claiming by the end. But there's their question marks with Kevin Gosman. This way, while we see Jared Jones and generally when he comes to these explosive rookie seasons from guys I we see in a sophomore year them add some of those elements that we're looking for from them. Yes, there are times that we see a great rookie year and it just never replicates. Usually that's because they don't have overall amazing stuff. They really squeezed as much as they possibly could out of what they offer. That's not the case with Jared Jones. He's a four singer slider guy. Both of them get a lot of strikes. Both of them should earn a lot of whiffs. When we saw on the second half of last year we had a last strain from from Jared Jones, it messed him up a bit, it delayed him. You think he got a little more fatigued by the end too, and he just didn't get into that groove by the end. It was really kind of tough to start him in September last year. But again it was still really two pitch, and the biggest thing with Jared Jones, like, oh hey man, you just got to add like something else that you can confidently throw for strikes in there against left handers and against right handers. Jared Jones is doing that. He tried to hide it. Handed Mers had a fantastic interview with Jered Jones because she asked the right questions of oh I've got a secret pitch. He's like, oh, okay, you don't have to tell me the pitch. But is it going to be against right handers or left handers? And he said, oh, yeah, it's going to be used against right handers maybe eventually left handers. Which is a sinker. We got you, Jared, and yeah, he threw five of them in his first ring start. That's perfect because what Jery Jones needs is batters to think, oh, this isn't the four seamer, this is actually the sinker. They need to have that extra layer of hesitation. He will also make it more efficient because sinker's earlier on accounts generally induced outs. If you're able to locate inside Jared Jones, I do trust would be able to do that a decent rate, and then you still have of course, it's amazing with heavy four seamer insider as well. He's working on the curveball in the change up to go against lefties. I think Jerry Jones is just gonna be a better version of himself in twenty twenty five. And we all saw the ceiling of this. Oh yeah, I think you're going to have a lot more stability with it it's a second season with more stamina involved. After one year of doing this, Jared Jones was ready to explode. And I think there's a lot of guys in this tier that are very boring and are like, Okay, you're drafting them as an S before and you might get an S before, and you don't want to leave your drafts with equal value. You know, if you leave your draft at two hundred and sixty dollars value after spending two hundred and sixty, you're going to go sixth place in your league. You gotta actually try to win it. And Jared Jones is the kind of guy that can absolutely overperform his value. Well, you're never gonna drop him. You're not going to drop Jared Jones this year. So I feel really comfortable going for Jared Jones' is my sp three s before I was.
Speaker 1: I remember last year on leading off, you know, he was on that run. I kept asking like do we trade him? Like do we sell high? It was so difficult, you know, and if he ended up selling high, you ended up doing really well because the second half obviously just didn't work out health guys, and obviously performance wise, but it was difficult because he was so dominant early on, and you know sometimes that happens with the young pitchers two and then you know they get a little bit more exposed in the league. That happens, but also they hit that innings. Well, there's a lot of those variables in that discussion. They're also you know, it's interesting too because you look at the organization. They got the bubble Chandler's coming through that organization too. And there's been even in the off season, there was some discussion of like, ooh, is Jones a guy we might dangle out there. If I was the Orioles, I'd be all over him. They have a glut of all these offensive prospects. The Pirates could use some more offense. They've got a lot of pitching coming through. To me, that's something that just makes it just makes a ton of sense.
Speaker 2: Orioles getting on twenty teams that the Orioles should be calling to trade. And how many guys.
Speaker 1: Can you play in the in the infield Baltimore. I I don't know, so.
Speaker 2: Let's go get Trevor Rodgers. It doesn't make sense to me. I'm so sorry, Orioles fans. We actually put on an article about Michael Lias back in November about how the ownership is. We have a very trusted source for this. The ownership said, hey, I'm new, I have money, Please spend the money. Michael Liais is like, nah, I'm good. I want to I want to be like the Rays.
Speaker 1: No, it's that's crazy. I mean it just it makes sense for the pirates too, like you want to support schemes. You want to support some of these guys that you're going to have in the front of this rotation for years to come.
Speaker 2: But I know how crazy this seems. I would not be saying this if the source wasn't rock Steady.
Speaker 1: So no, I know it doesn't incrust you.
Speaker 2: Guys have seen how the Oriols did not spend. Yeah, off team Charlie Morton.
Speaker 1: There it is, guys, Charlie Morton. When pictures are the same age almost as me, it might be time to be looking for a different strategy. I'm just saying, just saying, no offense to Charlie. Got mad respect for the guy. But another guy in this tier before we move on to the next one that you have pinpointed is Sandy en Contra. Who's a guy that I have in my Homekeeper League. I picked up last year for a buck and just wanted to sit and wait, and I got him and McClanahan, I got him for two bucks and a Contra because people just forgot. You know, it's a keeper league, so people had just forgotten that they were floating around there, and I had them in the queue and I was just waiting till nobody else had any cash. And then I was like, boom, boom boom, I'll get to take these two guys. And then because I was in the rebuilding that league anyway, after being competitive for about four years, and it's interesting you chose Al Contra over McClanahan. Mclanahan's more time to recover. I love both these guys. A Contra to me was just so such a workhorse, consistent over two hundred innings twice something you never see a cy young in twenty twenty two. So I'm curious why Ald Contara and then why Ald Katara over a guy like McClanahan, just in terms of like how you cherry pick them.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll actually start with the latter for a couple of reasons. One, I'll Contra, sorry, Al Kantara is cheaper, he's going thirty picks later, which is just nicer. That means I don't have to feel like I need to get Al Kantara the same time as McClanahan. Also mcclanahan's workload I actually have less confidence in with the rays being the rays, and it's also different types of workload. So I with al Kantara, what's so interesting is he's already throwing ninety nine. I mean, he was in the bullpen in September that got a site. But like you just came out on spring training. I was like, yeah, I've got it, it's fine, We're all good. And Craig Mish came out with a report that there are no restrictions for al Kantara this year, which is unreal, but okay, all right then, okay.
Speaker 1: Now miss a friend of mine for many many years. I mean that's how I started this business, Craig and I doing shows together. So do you think that's also sending that flag out to everybody else, like, hey, he's got no restrictions, he's available, come get him, because where the Marrow.
Speaker 2: And I actually even proposed they do a reverse Gara crochet, which.
Speaker 1: Is they they actually limit him sometimes.
Speaker 2: In the first half of the season and then saying, great, trade Dune. He's all ready for you, you know, but doesn't look like that. And I love this. It's also in twelve teamers, the mindset should be the roster spot shouldn't necessarily be the player. And the reason for that is you have a guy like out Katara and you're saying, well, if they're going to keep throwing him six seven innings, eventually he's not gonna be able to carry that workload in he will get hurt again. That is different than Sean mcclanahan's innings being overseen and stretched out over a full season at one point fifty because what sounds like to me is that if Kantara goes and let's say he goes one hundred and fifty innings, it's not because the Marlins limited him. It's because he's not pitching anymore in August or September. That means you get that roster spot back to fill it with something else off of your waiver wire. So that is a huge value boost in my view. It's why actually I'm favoring Strider, It's why I'm favoring de Gram more than what you'll see from a projection system, and it's maybe a little bit with glass because the dater is gonna be weird I think with laws now. But so these guys are gonna go until they can't and then you get to replace it. That's a roster spot open and it should really be the replacement value projection plus their innings one, which is a fun concept that I'll talk about another time. I love Alkantara. I think he's incredible. He throws super hard, has a change up and slider, the Missus bats. It's just great. The only downside here is that it's the Marlins winds are gonna be a little bit tougher. If he's still going deep into games, you still should get decent amounts like such a harmful like three wins the entire year. And also, I don't know if I love Zabra Edwards at short Hopefully he's not gonna be there. I don't know that's a hitter. But if he is there in that defense, that is.
Speaker 1: Going to be to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not gonna be a fun defense to pitch in front of, which might mean that his hit for nine and his whip take a larger hit than it used to be. For all, Kantara is still again a guy that you're not going to drop, and I think he's going to win at times too.
Speaker 1: I think it's about Sandy too, is that you know he doesn't have to strike out everybody. You know, you look at the strikeout like he can. That's not his game. Like it's almost like a throwback to that Roy Holliday kind of style where it's like, you know where you look at the holiday numbers, you go, he could strike at mark guys. But he's trying to be efficient. He's trying to get into the later, into the bullpen. He's trying to get w's and find the outs in lineups, which is the art of pitching, which is a bit a bit of a lost art I feel like, and that's not the guy he was when he came up. I want to keep going because I know we only have a certain amount of time here to get all these guys in before we get to the next grouping. Uh. Draft Wizard, it's out there for you. The tools are out There's a doope, be a tool, use the tools. Use Draft Wizard to get expert rankings, perform quick mock drafts, and receive real time advice during your draft to build a winning team, practice your draft strategies in just minutes at any time. With fast, realistic mock drafts powered by expert insights, you get live draft advice and play recommendations every time you get on the clock. So if you're ready to win, head to fantasypros dot com, slash MLB Draft Wizard or download the MLB Draft Wizard app and start drafting smarter today. Next grouping here, Nick Pollock fifty one through seventy. Now some really interesting names here. We've got some upside guys here obviously, and some guys that are maybe just guys. The first guy that you've targeted here to talk about is Robbie Ray. Now another guy returning from Tommy John, another guy that's got high strikeout potential. What is exciting to you about Robbie Ray? Now that we are further removed and could this be the best version potentially we get of Robbie Ray?
Speaker 2: Absolutely and now he saw him healthy and ready to go as bloss He came back up with the Giants last year. I like the team context. I like the Giants are going to let him go deep into games. Good team around him not necessarily the greatest offense, but a good defense in general, and he should get a fair number of wins. Strikeouts should be plentiful. He's always flirting with a thirty percent strikeout rate. And I love the fact that he's now learning Trek Scooble's change up. It's really been this element that he's missed in his game, where he has the fastball slider curve that destroy lefties. Fine, but it can be a little volatile against right handers because you really need to nail that slider down and inside, underneath the nitro zone, which is essentially inside the strike zone, but down and in and you have to go right underneath that and then you get them. But a change up is just the destroyer of right handers these days. We see this all the time, from like from schoobl from Reagan's, from even Tyler Anderson. How does he do a thing? It's because of that change up, right, chrispher Sanchez. There's so many lefties with these change ups that destroy and you have that to Robbi Ray, you can throw that sixty percent of the time for strikes. I mean, he's got it made. I think this is such an easy play of yeah, you aren't going to get the ratios that should hurt you. He's been much better than his former self since that last year in Toronto and then moving over to the Mariners, and really I'm not seeing anything from last year that suggests that Robbie Ray isn't that guy. Still. I love this, especially at fifty six. Oh my gosh. Yeah, I have him at like thirty in MISP rankings. So all day, am I getting Robbie Ray If he's going at one eight seven, one hundred and eighty seven in my drafts? Oh that's a steal.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. I know some people are trying to draft him last year. I hope they get something at the very end of the year, but you know, this year seems like the time to be targeting him, and I'm a little surprised. I think it if he has a couple of big spring outings in the next couple weeks, I wouldn't be shocked if Robby Ray starts ticking up and breaking that top fifty. But right now, at the fifty six pitcher going off the board, I think I agree with you. A big value Spencer Aarraghetti of the Houston Astros the next guy on the list of talk about. Now last year he had an ERA above four and a half. All the deeper metrics tell you that probably should have been closer to four, which is again not ideal. But this is a kid still, this is a young pitcher. Houston Astros are still going to be a competitive baseball team. When you start studying Araghetty, what jumped out to you in terms of why you think he could be useful this season?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, this is pretty easy. I first and foremost Aragedty wasn't the guy that you know until midway through the year. He was obviously coming up and struggling. And it's just what what these guys do? I call it the shag rug. It's a young man's floor, right Where.
Speaker 1: Is that what you got going on in the office right now?
Speaker 2: While yeah, I know, actually, because it's actually really good sound, I'm removing echo. But no, it's it helps massively. Okay, everybody should do that for their audio. No. All I'm trying to get at is he has his run of fourteen games last year, there was a three eight e one eighteen twenty nine percent strike every that was his final seventy nine frames seventy six frames, I should say, and now Aragedy is in a phenomenal situation. He's on the Astros, which you want to be as a starting pitcher. You want to be a starter for the Astros. They let their guys go longer in games, they have a good defense behind them, they have a solid offense. It's a great situation. And when Aragedy has five pitches, I mean he has multiple whiff offerings, which is great. He's got this curbball, he trusts a ton, he's got a slider in there, he's got a cut up for strikes. He's got sometimes change of this shows up. He's got to forcing him that's very flat, which essentially means that it should get wifs at the top of the zone effectively, like he has all the tools, and initially he struggled throwing strikes with them, and he got much better as the season went on. I also, I hate saying this kind of stuff because this is like pseudo analysis. But I've I've read interviews with Aragedy. I love the way that he thinks.
Speaker 1: He is a.
Speaker 2: Very good cerebral pitcher in that he's aware of what he needs to be doing, making the small tweaks, really attentive to the details of it, and a lot of times we see guys that go, oh no, I just got to be me whatever, this is what was made me successful. I need to be you know, he's he's dumb enough to be an all star kind of thing, right, But Aragedy actually had that conversation in the middle of the season, and then you see the impact that it had after that. So I love ARAGEDI here, and we're also past pick two hundred and what I was saying before at the beginning of this, we're at that point that you should already have four starters that you trust, that you know you're not dropping, not five. Honestly, concerning how deep it goes this year, Rageddy would then be your SB six in a twelve teamer. That is the perfect guy to go for. If it's not there, if he doesn't have his command or really his control early in the season, you just drop him and you move on. It's not there, it won't work, and it's going to be a hipster, a headache inducing pictures, stifling the tire roster if you hold on to him. Okay, you don't want hipsters on your team. So you'll be able to make a quick decision on aragedy and then if it's good, you got yourself a stud. If it's not, you're at least putting yourself in a position they can go get the next big thing instead of other guys who are sitting there on their hands on Brandon Fought say no, no, no, this is going to work out. As going to work out now they miss I don't know this year's Flairty, this year's Cruche, this year's Tanner. How all of those guys. You've got to give yourself an opportunity to go get them.
Speaker 1: So is huge target to throw your first the first big disagreement. It's not over the player, it's over you saying it's pseudo analysis. I think the cerebral part is very important. I think the makeup of a guy has a lot to do with what I think of him as a player, because eventually it's everybody this level is super talented. It's the approach, it's the intention of detail, it's a work ethic. It's all those intangibles that make you great at this level. Talent makes you get to that level, it's the intangibles that get you passed. There.
Speaker 2: I absolutely agree, And to your point, I want to Eddie, I just want to say that every best shape of your life or comment about good things means that they're going.
Speaker 1: To be good.
Speaker 2: Is you know, oh that's all.
Speaker 1: That's a bunch of crap. But when you hear them talk about the things they have to work on or things they identify, you know, it's it's you know, a lot of the reasons why I'm in on some of the players this year who even had bad years last year or post hype sleepers this year. It's some guys I think are just getting it and figured out last year. I remember watching a lot of stuff about Ezekiel Tovar right, perfect example, and I was listening to him talk about the hitting and the things he wasn't doing right, and I was like, you know, this kid really understands and clear he's got a lot of talent plays in a ballpark. If he can implement some many things he's talking about, he's gonna have a successful year. And he did. Erag Getty, by the way, you mentioned that better second half first seventeen games five six three ERA, second half three to one eight ERA over his final eleven starts, so a big difference there, big jump, one more guy, another one, big upside. Brandon Woodriff. Last time we saw Brandon Woodriff, this guy was a dominant frontline starter. What makes you think we could get that version of him in twenty twenty five. I don't. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: But it's picked two seventeen, and just like ourgedy, it's all about quick decisions. So we'll know if Woodriff is good or not. And if he's good, well, he has struck gold. You know. It's the only reason for us to suggest that he won't be is because, yeah, he's been hurt and we're scared about this shoulder injury. We know that data. It's the low chance of this kind of surgery coming back and being the same. But I don't know. It's one it's one dude, and he's apparently healthy and they're trying to get him into the rotation to start the year. I'd say take a chance, see what happens, and if not, you move on. This is not the draft pick that you're holding on to for the entire year. Really, you have to embrace as much as possible to win your twelve teamers. This is what I do every single year. It's it's the tried and true method, especially for someone that focuses on starting pictures every night. And you will find so much on the waiver wire, but you have to give yourself an opportunity to go for it. So instead of going for the middle, go for high or low and this could hit in a huge way. If it's not, don't worry. That gives you now an opportunity to go get something else that can be a much bigger improvement than your Toby. You're you're boring. I don't know who's in this grouping that I don't like. Jose Burrios. Ah, you don't want to deal with that.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, you know what you're getting.
Speaker 2: You're getting your year.
Speaker 1: You're getting starts, and you're getting probably are surprisingly good starts. Yeah. I think what's getting is Brios. You get ten starts that are surprisingly good, ten starts where you are just like whatever, and then ten starts where you want to jump off a tall building. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's called the great undulator. He always finds a way to be between a three five e array and a three eight with like a one to seventeen earra Sorry whip every year.
Speaker 1: This is like, right, it is, but he ends up there. But Woodroff is only thirty two years old, So I'm with you. You're gonna take some dart throws to try to win a league. Why not throw him on a guy like Woodroff. Next grouping here seventy one through one hundred obviously a big mix bag here. You know, you got everybody from your Jackson Jobes to your Michael Wakas. You've got guys on new teams like Jeffrey Springs. You got guys like Sagana who've come over from Japan. So this is again a mixed bag. And I think this is also a range where I think targeting the right names here to build that rotation depth can be huge because it can help you when you have injuries. It can help you, uh even just get an advantage because all of a sudden you hit a picture. You hit on a picture here late in a draft where they can make a big impact in your fantasy season. So let's talk about Gavin Williams because that's the first guy that you've earmarked here. What have you seen with him that makes you encourage for his performance this season?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, so I want to reiterate one more time, if like pick three hundred, let's just say, let's say that's your last pick of the draft. There are guys on this here that are going after that, so we're already hitting waiver wire pictures at this point in this This is seventy one two, one hundred. And by the way, I did a top four hundred starting pittures. It was like seventy five thousand wards or something stupid, and I had so many guys up to one fifty one sixty that I could have theoretically put into my top one hundred. So if you were thinking about guys right now, of the worry of oh no, I won't have anyone to start if I get an injury, get that out of your head, because you will have so many guys to chase instead when that one injury happens. And a lot of these pictures I'm seeing here Mitch Keller for example, kind of Marrow, Kelly, Luis Severino, Eric Fete, Nick Martinez, Brian Bao, all of these are not the ones that I would pay my hat on to be much more than an SP seven or something like that on my teams. And what I highly recommend is to chase the ones that could be a lot more than that. Gavin Williams absolutely is that when he first came up as a rookie, he was just like one of the higher touted starting pitchers out there, extension up the wazoo at seven feet, throwing ninety six ninety seven mile per hour, overwhelming four seamers, and it's really just been the development of the other stuff that we've been waiting for. Unfortunately, he got massively delayed in twenty twenty four. It was an injury that lasted far longer than we expected into the season, and when he did arrive, yeah, he didn't get into the groove that we thought he would. Now he just threw ninety seven miles prour yesterday. Great. He's also gotten a lot more vertical break on his four seemer Awesome. He's now going with cutter, slider, curve and change, and that slider is looking like a much better number two pitch than the cutter we saw last year and the curveball that we saw as well. Both were very low strike rates. We've seen near ten percent strike rates from Gavin Williams in the past, but it's not because the fastball has been bad. Fastball is actually be getting all these strike rates. It's really been the secondaries that haven't been able to support it. So now you have the slider that actually gets you strikes, and you're in Cleveland. Who is just gonna let him start every single game? I know it's vote now, but he's still Imaginedarry Francona getting another popsicle and forgetting that the guy who is still there in the eighth inning. Like that is what I think of when I think of the Guardians. And Gavin Williams is going to go every five days. He's gonna go as long as he can in this game. He's going to rack up strikeouts. He is a strikeout pitcher, and I think that it's gonna come with ratios that you like. This is such a good mold for a pitcher. Take the chance on this, and you'll know early if you can't throw strikes, and fine, you move on. This is the whole thing. You're early decisions, high upside, you move on, you'll be okay. Gavin Williams, go get him now.
Speaker 1: One guy in this range who has finished as a top twenty five starter not that long ago, just two years. Jesus Lozardo now the Philadelphia Phillies, So big difference there. You're going from one of the worst teams in the National League to one of the best teams in the National League spot where he is now their fifth starter, you know, in that rotation the bullpen, I think a little bit improved to when you get Romano at the back end that's been their achilles heel. This this Phillies team is locking down those saves on a more regular basis. And this is a player that I recall not that long ago you and Alex Fast having an all out bloodbath fight about and now he's right, you did well, yeah, and now he's basically free, you know. And I think that's what becomes so intriguing. He's become a target of mine because in my mind, you know, I always follow, you know, certain organizations who make runs at players.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: When Tampa's on a guy, I want to be in on him, right because they see something that they can fix. The Mets are starting to become that organization of words. I never thought I would say out loud what they're starting to do with some of these guys too. I think, well, I think, you know, I'm encouraged by the concept of Clay Holmes maybe being like the next Derek Lowe kind of project. If you recall, like a guy who is extreme ground ball pitcher coming out of the bullpen. We make him a starter and he has really good success, but maybe like a higher strikeout version. You saw what they did with Severino, you saw what they do with Sean and Aya. Now it's also when teams are acquiring guys that you know are still we take for granted that Lizzardo is just not that old. He's just been around forever because he was a prospect and we all got prospect fatigue with him, and then he had arm injuries, and you know, he's pitched on some bad teams and you know Oakland and some bad teams with the Marlins. But now it feels like nothing but upside. So I'm in on this and I'm glad to see you are too. Let's talk about why you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I first of all, you guys know that Jo's a Mets fan, clear than the way you.
Speaker 1: Just suspect that's a self loathing Mets fan. You have to put that last year I got to say was Clay Homes.
Speaker 2: Last year I actually didn't see Clay Holmes on here, and I would say that the Clay Holmes is a target of mine too. I am impressed by that change up that he has.
Speaker 1: Well, he qualifies at RP. That's why so.
Speaker 2: Qualis I understood. I think he's going around this same spot though him. Actually the man I had a term for It's fine. I called Clay Holmes the Adobe by the way, because he's Clay Homes and uh and then the course is grand Homes is a real estate broker because he gets home. I just this is yeah, exactly point you get a picture of guys. Okay, so lose artem The The interesting thing here for me is twofold one. Obviously, the context is great, you have the Phillies. Now you have good win potential. The guy goes longer into games. I don't care about his health because I'm not getting him in the first one hundred and fifty or so. I don't need him to be an SP three the entire year to be a foundation and a rock of my team. I'm trying to see, like, hey, are you going to help me now? And you'll be able to tell pretty early on is the same volatile self is he's throwing those sliders well over the plate in the game crushed. Is he actually looking the four seamer well, because my gosh, he does not. Well, it's a very hittable one. However, there are tweaks to be made, and I think the Phillies can actually identify them and implement them. First, four steamer missus or has extra horizontal run than expected. That is, it kind of acts like a two seamer than a four seamer. So right now he's trying to do called strikes away to lefties. No, no, no, no, they hit that. Throw that inside like a sinker, and that should actually work really really well. Throw that arm side and he should have a lot of success against lefties. That will make it so that the mistakes he's made with his slider to lefties not nearly as much of a problem. And you can probably get away with that a little bit more. I like that a lot. Now against righty's the change up is actually really good. It's a lot better than the slider. And he still throws these sliders in these two strike counts, has made a ton of mistakes with them, and there's your problem. Just throw more change ups, so rieties and fewer sliders. And suddenly you have the volatility. A lot of those home runs kind of go away a little bit. The whip isn't so bad. The earach can be a three to six and I'll be fine because he's a twenty five to thirty percent strikeout guy and he's gonna get wins because he's on the Phillies. Wait, this is really good and I'm not spending that high draft pick on it. Also, if it's just terrible he didn't make these tweaks, fine, I'll just drop them. It's a two sixty six. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I want to lose Arto all day.
Speaker 1: Here, last guy here in this group before we get to the guys outside of the top one hundred that we're targeting, Drew Rasmuson. I want you to fill in the blanks of this sentence, and twenty twenty five Drew ras Meson becomes.
Speaker 2: What I have no idea because it's all about how much volume he gets. And this is a really easy one. If your Rasmussen starts, you want him everywhere. He suppresses our contact, he still throws hard and he gets whiffs like it's really good, even if it's five and dive. I don't care. That's like Elite five and dives, so you're just gonna do it. Probably won't be so. I think the Raised need guys you can throw, and I'm not even worried about them going to George Steinberner Field for Rasmussen because I think he just allows too much hard we contact that like doesn't matter. The thing is is he starting? Is he actually going like more than three innings when he does start? I don't know exact Lytel doesn't have any options left and that might change things. So I'm not sure if Rasmussen actually has a rotation spot and that's why he's here of yes or no, quick decision yea gone, okay, cool, simple, easy, Just get Drew Rasmussen. See what happens. That's great, you got gold.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's see what happens with the guys outside the top one hundred. Nick's got his targets. I've got mine first one for me at one twelve. DJ hurts. I think that everyone's heard me talk about the Nationals being a sneaky team this year. I think the Athletics and the Nationals are going to be just pesky and frustrating and maybe better than people realize. I don't know how many wins the Nats will get at the end of the day, but I think they're going to be far more competitive, and I want the lefty with the big strike potential. Another guy too that I think gets it. I've had some good conversations with DJ and he is very focused about this season. He's already shown you some flashes at that minor league level too, and I think all wheels up. David Festa another guy I think is really interesting, another one who might not start in the rotation here for the Minnesota Twins, but in deeper leagues. I want this guy on my bench. Last year, again, first couple starts a little rocky, after that things went really well. He's got good strikeout potential there, He's got the right frame, all the things you're looking forward a young starting pitcher, and I do think eventually he will win out over time. So even if he's not named to that opening rotation. Festus one that if you're in these fifteen team leagues and you're trying to build some depth, guys like hers, Guys like fest are interesting. And the last one on my list here is Quinn Matthews. Now, every year in January, I start to do my minor league work because coming off the NFL season, I'm doing all my work on the NFL draft guys and doing all my work on the baseball guys, but I don't get to see a lot of minor league baseball. So I start to dig deep and I start to watch all the tape in the I light to these guys, and of all the pictures I watched, Quinn Matthews just stood out like a sore thumb in the best possible way, jumped off the screen to me in every which way. The Cardinals are desperate for help in that rotation. That rotation was like trying to go to like the old age home last year. It was crazy. I was like, what are they doing there? And nobody here? I felt like was south of thirty five in that rotation And at one point and Quinn Matthews, I think is the beginning of that. Now, how many things he has this year, All that stuff we could talk about. But when you're looking at acquiring some good young arms who might be able to at some point pop and maybe save you some free agent budget, Quinn Matthews could be one of those guys. Now, before we get to your list, I of course make the show sheet up. So I made my list first. And you were talking about seeing Quinn Matthews in spring training how much. I don't know how much you've watched Quinn Matthews before that, but what were your thoughts about him? Because you seemed kind of positive, just like I am.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so I do a full review of the minor league system for every team before spring training hits right, and it's part of my top four hundred, and I'm all right, who are the major prospects? And I just got to know who they are because they're going to show up and I gotta be ready for those guys. And Quinn Matthews was the name I heard a lot, and I remember digging into him, not really loving it because his four seamer did not really have anything exceptional attached to it. It was decently flat, but it was like ninety four. It was not the best IVB that is vert upstairs, and I'm just kind of getting wind, like, all right, this seems like a good pitcher, but not really someone that can excel, and like it doesn't. We didn't really love his change up necessarily it was like, okay, I get it, but like it's I don't know. Then I saw him and he added two extra inches of vert on the fast. Well, now it's like e leap. And then he was spotting everything well and the changeup was working off of it, and just watching him pitch was much more of a from what I saw before. Could just be the day, but it was very much of a guy in control. And this is something that everybody can do consciously. Know who are the pictures that you expect to do well, who are the ones that are throwing and guys just aren't you know, knocking for basits and where the strike zone feels large as opposed to small. Yeah, and Quinn math I've certainly made it feel like a large strike zone.
Speaker 1: Six' five lefty who went through from a ball all the way To TRIPLE a last year And TRIPLE a stalled out a little, bit BUT i think he was just kind, of you, know done by. That WHAT i watched for some of the double ast arts and AGAIN i was just, like look this. Kid you, know there's no way he doesn't get an opportunity In Saint louis this year in my. Opinion BUT i want to know about your guys outside the top one. Hundred you have a fascinating. List let's run through them. Here first one Is Dustin. May so why is that a target of yours when you get late into.
Speaker 2: Drafts, yeah you're not going to SEE dj hurries from, me but that's. Fine that's BECAUSE i just don't believe in the changeup being consistent enough for. HIM i am excited to see it get better. Though if it, DOES i love your pick because the fastball is good, enough he's working, it maybe, overperformed but the changeup just needs to really be more solid for. Him But, may what a. Scenario oh my, Gosh Dustin may has no more. Options he's gonna be pitching as a number five for The. DODGERS i, MEAN i would be absolutely shocked if The dodgers, said, Nah Tony, gonsolin the guy who throws like ninety two now and sometimes has a splitter and, slider or maybe the guy who throws ninety seven to ninety nine with this sinker has not gotten the real opportunity to pitch throughout a season yet because he Got Tommy john and then had an esophagus surgery that was kind of terrifying when you hear about it that how has made it so that he's had even more rest and he's ready to. Go you want to pitch for The, Dodgers you're gonna get, wins especially when they're in this five man which really is kind of a six man In april because of all the off, days so it's like once a week In. April But Dustin may is primed to just go nuts and actually get into the rhythm that he was supposed to get in before in his. Career oh, MAN i Want Dustin man every single one of my. Teams and one other guy THAT i KNOW i didn't mention you very. Quickly Max meyer was like three ticks harder yesterday and has like an Elite well, now And i'm just going what you just were a slider only, guy and now you have a ninety two Mile prowur, slider not an eighty eight Mile priur, slider and you're throwing ninety six ninety, seven seven ninety four with an ideal flat attack angle you didn't, have.
Speaker 1: You, KNOW i don't.
Speaker 2: Know i'm glad you brought him.
Speaker 1: UP i didn't put on the. List just, beware, Guys, no but you know, What i'm glad you brought him, up because that's a player That i've been in on several times the last couple of years, waiting and last year was incredibly, frustrating right because you have a scenario where he comes up and he looks, good and then they are jerking him, Around they're sending him down to the minor, leagues AND i keep thinking about all we want to save his, innings save his things for what all that playoff, baseball The marlins are going to be, playing all those Important september games coming up on The marlin. Schedule it's just such a. CROC i don't understand. WHAT i. GUESS i don't know what it, was what was going on. There but once upon a, time three years, Ago Max meyer was one of the you, KNOW i Know welsh, myself even to the Aforementioned Craig missis was telling, me he's, like, look keep an eye off for This Max myer. Kid that's going to be the. Kid AND i hope that finally they just leave him all and leave him this, rotation because once upon a time he had a special trajectory and it feels like it got completely derailed in the last two years between injuries and the organization just making bad.
Speaker 2: Decisions, yeah he actually went back to his old college. Armingle his armingle was just a lot higher when we've seen him the, majors but then he went down to it for this. One it looks like and it's just so much. BETTER i, look it was one, inning, Everyone SO i can't really say that he's going to be ninety six ninety seven now because one Inning max, efforts, RIGHT i don't, know but this was a much better version Of Max meyer Than i've ever. Seen i've been the guy out on him because, like, yeah he just has a slider and that's. It i'm paying attention to, this so you should. Too But Dustin may is the guy that you should be. Drafting.
Speaker 1: Easy more guys on your, list one coming back From Tommy John Lucas, giolito and the other One Grant, Holmes and you can't make that bad joke. Again so break down these two guys for me before we get out of here. Today Grant holmes And Lucas. Giolito why should people be drafting them in twenty twenty?
Speaker 2: Five, sure so For, giulido it actually wasn't telling Me, john it was an internal. BRACE i know it's very, similar but it doesn't mean that it's, faster and it does mean that there IS i, believe a tendon that is still attached a little so in, sure it's oh. Good it's a little better to have the internal brace a little. Bit And Lucas giolito is in such a good. SITUATION i know that the twenty twenty, one twenty twenty, two the kind of what you've seen recently giulido has not been, good but there are a lot of factors for what that has. Been in actually a lot of those, seasons he was fine until he. Wasn't but now he's in a great scenario In boston where we actually saw him looking much better this time last year before he was. Hurt AND i actually think that The Red sox are going to squeeze the best version Of giulido than we've seen since twenty, nineteen really with fast walls up and change ups underneath that a better. SLIDER i really like this scenario for. HIM i think also mentally going to The Red sox from The White, SOX i think it's a little bit different, here and then also being bounced around to teams THAT i don't really trust the development with like The, angels and, honestly The guardians is a major league CREW i don't like as much as their minor league, crew WHICH i think is really good for pitching. Development So i'm a huge fan of. This you'll know early If Lucas giulido is better or, not and then you might get a good volume guy that you really want that isn't harmful or. Boring and then With Grand holmes find the deed mak or whatever you. Want he's someone with two with pitches slidering and curve that he commands really well and a four steamer that hits the. Edges and speaking of a good, scenarios It's. Atlanta he's not the number, five he's the number. Four and last year they limited him a bit because it was a big jump going from aliever to. Starter they didn't want to overwork. Him, fine but now they need him. To this is a rotation that has strided already on THE. El but then you Have Chris sale And Ronald lopez were definitely health. Risks Spencer. Schwalenbach there is some concern about the massive workload of one hundred and sixty seven innings last year between the miners and. MAJORS i don't have that as much as, others BUT i get. It long story shorts is That Grant holmes should be in this rotation as long as he's. Healthy AND i see a strikeout guy who has good command that is like the Old Cleveland guardians. Style So i'm a huge fan of that in this scenario at PICK i don't know three point fifty or something.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, well but to your earlier, point you get a. Chance, Yeah and you made a comment earlier about, well you have guys that you just want to churn and burn sometimes at the game of the. Season he would fit that bill for, me. Right if he's got the rotation, spot he's going to be there In april And, may because we Know Spencer schrider is not going to be so at the very, least maybe you get two good months out of him and either you flip him or you're just onto the next, picture or maybe somebody from your bench emerges or from the waiver wire as you, Said so maybe he's just, good, yeah or maybe he's just. Good you're just, Good Nick. Pollock everybody should go to a picture list and check out the incredible WORK i, MEAN i don't want to like blow sunshine, here but there's nobody that does what you do as good as you do. It The pictureless website is. Incredible i've been on there reading stuff in the last couple, weeks getting myself ready for the. Season And i'm the guy that writes the pictures up for The Black, book and yet HERE i am Reading Nick pollock stuff always after the. Fact that, WAY i don't get influenced By, nick but it always is encouraging WHEN i see some of the guys that you're in, On i'm in. On that to me makes me, feel LIKE i, said confident for the. Season and of, course you, know always check Out nick and all his work because every year they Do, pitchcon which is an incredible fundraiser FOR. Als so if you get unfamiliar With nick's, work follow him on social, media be a part of Pitch gon next year if you, weren't they raised over ten thousand dollars again FOR als. RESEARCH i hope that the the the renovation in your house goes well and we start to look like you are not some sort of captive. Like the only thing worse is those years That Justin mason was like in the shed like this is just an uptick from.
Speaker 2: That he's still in the.
Speaker 1: Shop, yeah but the early, shed like the early like the Early Justin mason shed was like it was like a it was.
Speaker 2: TERRIFYING i got, things. Guys i've got like a bullpens alluble, ahead it's all. There it's just in box all right, now really just scattered around and it's terrible right. Now, joe thank you so much for bringing me on for. This it's great to see you And joe as a part of Pitch come last. Week you did a great.
Speaker 1: Job. Yeah. Here every YEAR i show, UP i go to work AND i there you Get nick half an hour. Off AND i want to hear from everybody out there in the YouTube, comments because, remember if you, comment you can win A Billy Wagner baseball here's your assignment your favorite sleeper pitcher in twenty twenty. Five and while we're at let's get to twenty five thousand subscribers on the YouTube. Channel subscribe. Wherever get your podcasts as. Well that'll do it for. Us but the story of the game goes on For Nick. Pollock I'm JOEY. P we'll see you next.
Speaker 2: Time. Kids thanks for listening to The Fantasy Pros Fantasy baseball. Podcast if you love the, show the best freeway to support
Speaker 1: Us is by leaving a positive review On Apple podcasts Or, spotify follow us on, X, instagram and TikTok At Fantasy, pros and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Fantasy PROS mlb