Speaker 1: We're gonna shit and ask Slate some questions and we're going to determine what kind of dude Slate is off.
Speaker 2: The questions that we're going to ask questions.
Speaker 3: This is our very first time having a guest on the show, So we appreciate you coming here, be impatient with us, just going along with us. Your your two favorite teammates as you've ever had in the lot of being another great teammate once again, but this time in the nuthouse locker room here at the dude's house.
Speaker 2: So we appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We want to figure out what kind of dude you are with the questions that we're going to ask you.
Speaker 2: See, all right, all right, let's do this. Let's do this first off, you yes, I do. I'm taking notes.
Speaker 3: There we go, and I'm gonna probably, you know, spit some facts out there that we should probably listen to in life as well, because this is Slater.
Speaker 1: Let's just start off. Let's start off with a hard one. What kind of dude do you think you are?
Speaker 2: Who that is tough because you want to be humble? Yeah? Or you don't want to be yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like to think the team do. What was the descriptions like to be a dudes, dude the vie.
Speaker 3: I see that positive influence time, positive influence.
Speaker 2: I never really seen you as a negative influence.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: We I mean, Jewels did a lot of negative things in his roommates. So what were you doing inside that house?
Speaker 2: What was going on? Was he a negative influence?
Speaker 4: He made it out?
Speaker 2: We were good. He was not your roommate. We don't know what you would.
Speaker 4: Be on the on the giants. You got him to the holidays?
Speaker 2: All there? All right, so that's what you think. All right? Well, it's like, did you wear flip flops in the shower?
Speaker 4: You have to wear flip flops? You have to.
Speaker 2: You have to. Why is that? Why do you have to?
Speaker 4: Because I've seen some of them feet in there.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I guess bad feet rant a lot of route see my own feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we gotta have.
Speaker 2: So have to do all right.
Speaker 1: Who's the most famous person in your phone?
Speaker 4: Most famous person in my phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Most famous?
Speaker 4: I mean, I would say one of you guys, but TV probably.
Speaker 2: TV TV, pretty famous TV, pretty famous TV. I would say, he's up there, he's up there, I mean, and TV anyways, most famous. This guy, this guy, we wish we had his number.
Speaker 4: You guys got all five of his cell phone.
Speaker 2: Cell phone numb that so TV? Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: What was your college g p A three point one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's why you didn't make it into the IV makes sense now. I was just I'm disappointed with that one won your your g p A and the Special Teams world.
Speaker 2: I would say at least a three point eight.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that video extracurricular video game?
Speaker 2: What video game did you play?
Speaker 4: Oh, we're playing in C double A football?
Speaker 2: Making sure you were crazy maniac in college. Yeah, we had an issue with the video game. Okay, we useduld play as a team.
Speaker 4: We played each other, had a pot circulating.
Speaker 5: Some of those guys may be watching, they know who the best was, and it was me, Slate, you're the best?
Speaker 4: Three point one?
Speaker 1: Did you play? Who'd you play with? What was your team on n C two A?
Speaker 2: I would go you Ohio State with what year was?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: An? We go four wide?
Speaker 5: Spread it out and then you had Troy Smith running quarterback.
Speaker 4: See I can still remember my roster.
Speaker 2: We were good.
Speaker 1: We had that thing he's hitting four verticals looking get it out us your coming run with out runs from here get the edge.
Speaker 2: All right? So n C two A played that?
Speaker 1: Okay, what was the song on your college highlight film?
Speaker 2: Ooh h hmm, I cannot recall. You can't recall.
Speaker 4: I can't recall.
Speaker 2: Pay too much football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've been hitting the head. I've been hitting the head.
Speaker 2: No recall. Let me put that on that could hurt you.
Speaker 3: How many college offers did you get out of high school?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, like fifteen were you?
Speaker 2: I was at three schools. I was not.
Speaker 4: I was not rob coming out and funny enough.
Speaker 2: Four star I had a fifteen.
Speaker 4: I committed to go to Dartmouth out of out of high school.
Speaker 5: I was gonna go to the Ivy League route when I was taking my studies seriously in high school. And uh, you know I chose to stay at home and go to eat l A and play at home play D one obviously, So.
Speaker 2: I mean was a great choice.
Speaker 4: You see it, all right?
Speaker 1: Top five Public Universe, number one, top five, number one, top five cow Bears out.
Speaker 3: ARISONA look at the last Division one.
Speaker 1: Now you're number two, all right, Slate, let's get back into this. U determine what kind of guy you are? What was your first car?
Speaker 5: My first actual car was a Lexus X sixty fancy and I got that my third year in the league was writing my dad's car.
Speaker 2: First ever car. What was your first ever?
Speaker 1: It was my dad's Lexus Family, Lexis Family.
Speaker 4: Tell you what it makes a good product.
Speaker 2: They make a good product. Okay, what do you drive now?
Speaker 1: Right now? I'm then I'm in an Audi Audi Electric Tron, one of the people for the Earth.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I determine what kind of duty is good good?
Speaker 1: Note I got to put in parenthesies electric Electric put that in parenthesase slate.
Speaker 2: What was your first endorsement deal.
Speaker 5: My first endorsement deal Rebok Rebadbod told this before Rebok cut me loose. Rebok cut me loose, cut you loose. They cut me loose. After my third year, well, I think they went on the ten Pro Bowls and Nike.
Speaker 2: Yeah that thanks Rebok.
Speaker 3: Oh oh we never you told Reebok to kick kicked me in the curve.
Speaker 1: But I think Rebok kicked everyone to the curb.
Speaker 2: They left the NFL.
Speaker 4: JJ JJ was still wearing rebox j J Watt.
Speaker 5: He was still wearing he had his own line to shoot, which probably would have chosen JJ over.
Speaker 2: Me JJ Rebok. Let me see that Rebok. All right, kind of like a throwback type of guy.
Speaker 4: The old pumps, you know.
Speaker 3: Shoes, good old Jim Wall and you walk in the trail room, coach, I'm hurting.
Speaker 2: Just pump your shoes. Get out of here.
Speaker 4: Pump those ship I stay out of there with jimbo early.
Speaker 1: All right, what what's the square root of one forty four?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know, but I can't give him the answer.
Speaker 3: Oh, friend, on this, that's easy.
Speaker 2: Just like, come on, man, you're committed the dartment. It's all right, we got it. You're just you're just us. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought I'm not a math guy.
Speaker 2: Didn't know. You really don't know that it's twelve. Okay, yeah, you didn't know it's twelve. No fast, not fast enough. Describe your locker. Was it messy?
Speaker 3: It was me?
Speaker 2: Oh messy? It was okay, Yeah, it was bad. Man. We been here for so long. It's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I got I got all this stuff in there. I got sixteen years.
Speaker 5: One of the stuff so many people say in bibles and stuff to slate.
Speaker 3: I mean, jerseys in the uniforms to Nike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of there's a lot of sixteen years in one spot, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of a lot of stuff, A lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, I got one.
Speaker 1: If you weren't a pro athlete, who would you work for or what would you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: You know, I've always had a passion for ministry, so I think you know, my plan before I got drafted was become a youth pastor.
Speaker 4: So that would have been the.
Speaker 2: Road I would have taken a pastor.
Speaker 1: Put that down, all right, that's p s a t o or.
Speaker 2: As a pastor.
Speaker 3: Now and a fight breaks out at practice, what do you do?
Speaker 5: Oh, we gotta I'm gonna do the same thing I did when Rob fought Michael Bennett at the end of the Seattle explain that fellas, you know, like I don't you know, I don't want I don't want guys fighting out there, but you know, that's part of the deal.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's football. This is a gladiator sport, So it happens.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: What's the most you've ever bench pressed?
Speaker 2: Oh? You know, yeah, you were. You were in that mind that that was maybe pre the four shoulder surgery.
Speaker 1: So acted like he didn't know, but new mm hmm, three seventy five.
Speaker 3: That explains a lot. What type of guy is a trickster?
Speaker 2: Have you ever been fined? And for how much?
Speaker 4: I have been fined from NFL or from coach.
Speaker 5: From the NFL face mask my rookie year in the preseason.
Speaker 4: I go my entire career, don't get fined.
Speaker 5: In my last year, I get fined twice for you know, illegal crackback blocks because I'm trying to hustle and block for the returner.
Speaker 2: He didn't sed it.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't say it. I went head hunting forearm shiver up hot. No, James thrash.
Speaker 5: I'm just getting James stretched, James trash. I'm just kidding that I was not head hunting. I'm just that was no illegal crackback blocks. So you're just running towards the other side.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to finish.
Speaker 1: My box, which is completely understandable for a guy that played in the era where it was okay to do that.
Speaker 4: That's real.
Speaker 1: It's hard for him to change his mindset in the latter part of his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, change your mindset once you get fined. But I'm kind of taking it there. He's kind of a dirty player, dude. Yeah, face like.
Speaker 1: He's freaking playing hard, playing hard, whistle to whistle rob getting fined twice.
Speaker 2: That's not that much. Yeah, I know, I'm just messing. What's your fastest forty times?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I mean, well know how this goes?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: You're fast?
Speaker 4: At one time ran When I was training, I ran this, Yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 1: I ran up four to eight for too eight four. When I was training, I had a second. What was your fastest one hundred meter? It was your high school time?
Speaker 4: High school? I ran ten six two, ten six two seventeen.
Speaker 1: Now how fast do you think you could have got that if you were training as a man, if you put on a man hours, I mean, you put it into your specials. I don't like to talk about what I could have done on this, but I ran when I ran in high school.
Speaker 4: I did not live weights, I didn't live anyways. In high school.
Speaker 2: You know, seventeen faster.
Speaker 4: I was seventeen my senior year.
Speaker 5: So I think I could have you know, I think I could have touched ten three ten two, ten three two.
Speaker 4: Then I ran over twenty three miles an hour with pads.
Speaker 2: With pat twenty three?
Speaker 4: So fast?
Speaker 1: Was that your last year as well?
Speaker 4: Oh, I wouldn't run twenty three last year?
Speaker 2: Okay? And then last I was like fifteen to six.
Speaker 1: It was bad right back got he had it, He got up and got it. Wait, last speed question? Could you beat Randy Moss in a two hundred? Now we have this debate. Oh, I know we have this debate.
Speaker 4: We argue this.
Speaker 1: I mean, look in my prime, in Randy's prime.
Speaker 4: I could have I could have been ten meters behind him in my prime.
Speaker 5: Slay up against Randy Moss, speed man, that's an all time speed.
Speaker 2: All right? So we did what was forties going.
Speaker 4: On like a four to one?
Speaker 2: No, you're in four to two. I don't know if he rund, but we used to mess with he floats.
Speaker 5: He does floats when because Randy was what like thirty two thirty three, we were spry and chatt O'Shea used to mess with Randy all the time, slack and beat you, slack and beat you.
Speaker 4: Randy didn't like hated it. I didn't like that, but that was fun.
Speaker 1: He'd be like, oh, chattyo, oh.
Speaker 2: All right, when was the last time you cried? Besides when you heard you were coming. Last time I.
Speaker 5: Cried, you know, I was at a I was at a funeral for Don Hasselbeck Don hassel a couple of weeks ago. Funeral, great man, great mentor for my wife and I and uh yeah.
Speaker 2: Great football family.
Speaker 4: Yeah they really are.
Speaker 2: They're great people.
Speaker 3: Whenever I see uh hassleback just always a great Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just tremendous family.
Speaker 2: Really good on TV too. Yeah, they are a knowledge sharp guys, sharp man. What's the first date with you? Look like? First date? First date?
Speaker 5: I like to go somewhere quiet where we gonna actually or we can talk, walk and talk. Yeah, you know, you go to a movie you're not really talking. You know, Dinner is a toss up. You know, maybe you just go hang out at the park or My wife and our first date was a cheesecake factory, beautiful with Gary Guy. Gary he was third willing it. But you know, give us an opportunity to talk. You got to talk on a day.
Speaker 4: You gotta get to know.
Speaker 1: One to really important question to follow up on that, what cheesecake did you guys order?
Speaker 2: Reo cheese?
Speaker 5: Kid?
Speaker 3: Come on, so good quick story about Gary guy and he was when I was a rookie. He was a linebacker here for the Patriots, and he made me feel like I couldn't play, you know, at this level in the NFL, because he jammed me on my very first route and I didn't get off the line of scrimmage for about five seconds, and then he finally backed up and the ball was already thrown. I was one yard off the line of scrimmage one time threw that boss.
Speaker 2: So, Gary, you made me feel really uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: I think it worked out.
Speaker 2: All you need that you need l me off like that's right.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta really focus off this last that's right.
Speaker 2: In the light of where we're at.
Speaker 1: Someone would call that a an FL baptism.
Speaker 4: Some would we gotta we gotta wrap this up.
Speaker 2: Okay a little longer. You didn't do with your four kids? What's that? He said?
Speaker 3: We got to wrap it up? I said, what you didn't do with your four kids? It's getting out of control. Multiple that's what you shall do that questions about it?
Speaker 2: I shall do my job. What's the last book we read? Last book?
Speaker 4: The Psychology of Money?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a lot to you.
Speaker 5: It talks about, you know, how our perspectives sometimes shift once we start making money and how greed really plays a huge factor and a lot of people experiencing financial ruin. And I think, you know that is very true, especially in America.
Speaker 2: So I gotta read that.
Speaker 1: But what is it called the psychology that's pe why?
Speaker 2: Okay? Just making sure? Wow, slate learning.
Speaker 3: I told you it's gonna be a great He's gonna keep us, you know, straight edge.
Speaker 2: That's what he's doing. We're learning from him, that's what we're learning a lot from him. And we already knew a lot about him. We knew everything about him.
Speaker 4: But now we're learning more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got one more question and one more question?
Speaker 3: All right, all right, this is a good one one because we really haven't talked about this category with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you prepare your steak? Yeah? Were you like an absolute dog animal outside? Just a wild one's going rare now here.
Speaker 4: Here's a here's an inside track for you guys.
Speaker 5: If you ask ten black folks how they prepare their state, seven of them are going to say, well done, Okay.
Speaker 2: Are you in?
Speaker 4: That came up a well Ton guy.
Speaker 5: And then I started hanging out with my brothers from the other and I realized that medium, maybe medium, rare.
Speaker 1: I'm a medium medium medium guy converted me. And then lastly, how do you eat that steak?
Speaker 2: Depends on who's around by yourself. I have to go hands for no, No, you're by yourself.
Speaker 3: I like that when you get down to the hand, you pick it up with your hand, the hands when you're.
Speaker 2: On that bomb.
Speaker 5: Me and my sons were going bone okay, wife around, I'm using I gotta.
Speaker 4: Use the form gun.
Speaker 2: You're teaching the boys.
Speaker 1: That you gotta get all the meat you gotta go meet left behind.
Speaker 5: Me close to the bone is some of the best meat on that on that stak.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we got all our stuff. Let's once we're gonna let's let's go review this, Ernie. Shall we go to the going to the booth, Ernie. We gotta look look this over?
Speaker 4: He see yeah, he I think he's three point I thought he was gonna be too.
Speaker 2: So he's really not a whiz.
Speaker 1: That's freaking that's freaking academic read about money. Oh and he likes his steak medium and also eats with the hands of around, but preferably.
Speaker 2: Uses Okay, all right, you know what I got? Yes, yes, definitely mm hmm.
Speaker 1: On three, what do we think he is?
Speaker 2: One? Two three whizz?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we wiz.
Speaker 1: We think you're whizz. As as we we kept on saying throughout this interview, we kept on learning about new stuff. I I I learned that greed is the route to people losing their money. Yes, I learned that if you're six foot five and a dog, you could play special teams for twelve years.
Speaker 2: I learned so much about Ozgood.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, I mean I was a.
Speaker 2: Little disappointed with your GPA, but there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Factors out there that you were committed to Dartmouth because that smart. But you were doing so many other things as well, like being an all star in the video game world and out there, and that was helping you out on the field, and you knew that was your real master of your life. Still a three point one you got by and you didn't even care about what was.
Speaker 2: Going on in the school world.
Speaker 3: You still got a three point one, but you were a master with a four point zero on the field and then video games that made a lot of money doing that to take care of your family.
Speaker 1: It is, you know what, and also smart. You have to be a wizard to be a teamer for sixteen years in this fucking league. It's really like, that's what people don't understand. For you to constantly innovate yourself each year, to bring value to a team where they're literally giving up a roster spot for you to just play special teams. That's unheard of. Sixteen years, pro bowler, thirteen years, all Pro, eleven years whatever. That's that's that's that's a wizard. That's a wizard. It's freaking It's like some Harry Potter shits.
Speaker 2: Late.
Speaker 1: I know you're religious and you don't read that stuff, but it's like Harry Potter's magic.
Speaker 4: I'll take you. I appreciate you, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, Late, we appreciate you coming on the show, being our first guest here on Dudes on Dudes. We weren't really sure how I was gonna go, but I can tell you that you took it, you know, to a whole nother level with us. Man, we felt really comfortable with you, and not just on top of it that you're a whiz man.
Speaker 2: You're a dude's dude as well.
Speaker 1: You bring the team, you're.
Speaker 2: A dude's dude, you're a docter's on the field.
Speaker 3: But the main aspect of your life is that you are a wizard man.
Speaker 2: That's why you are a whiz.
Speaker 4: And can I just say something, Yeah, go ahead, let me just say one thing.
Speaker 5: I'm very proud of it to you guys for how you transitioned out of the game and how successful this next chapter is for both of you guys.
Speaker 4: Keep keep killing it.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, thank you. I mean, I'm gonna I'm gonna a single tear. I'll shed a tear.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is a time back in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: You know something, your stud as well. Now, that was touly what you just said.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.