Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Vavelow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: All eyes are on a high stakes meeting between President Trump and China's Xijing Ting. This is in video CEO Jensen Wang gets added to the trip last minute.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 4: Anthropic is looking to raise at least thirty billion dollars in fresh financing, an evaluation of more than nine hundred billion dollars and what could be.
Speaker 5: Its largest funding round yet.
Speaker 3: And we speak with Anderill CEO Brian Schimpf as the company hits a sixty one billion dollar valuation in its latest funding round. Today's big story President Trump's meeting with China's Xijingping. And Trump is joined on his trip by a host of tech leaders, including in the end in video CEO Jensen Wang. As a last minute edition, thrusting AI and tech into the spotlight for for the high stake summit. Let's bring in bloombergs Tyler Kendall for more. Who joins us from Beijing? Set the scene? What do we need to know? And my goodness what a fanfare last night when Jensen Wang was spotted on the runway in Alaska, right.
Speaker 6: Ed, I mean we saw this last minute edition he caught Air Force one during a refueling stop in Anchorage. Now, the White House says that the addition comes because Jensen Wang was able to make a scheduling change that we did hear from President Trump in a post on truth social where he appeared to be unhappy with media coverage that the Nvidia CEO originally wasn't on the manifest of travelers that we had in terms of those CEOs that are attending now. Of course, the big ticket item I don't need to tell either of you would be whether or not President Trump pushes the Chinese government to have Chinese buyers for the now greenlit h two hundred Nvidia chips.
Speaker 5: So maybe there will be.
Speaker 6: Some sort of discussions around that. I'll also throw on your radar that it is our understand that Washington and Beijing are in talks about potential cooperation when it comes to keeping a dialogue open around artificial intelligence. That could be also one of those deliverables that we see out of this meeting tomorrow between President Trump and Chinese President Xijingping. The administration maintains that they want trade to be the top priority here. Just look at the other list of CEOs. It is our understanding that they represent some of those sectors where we could see some Chinese purchase agreement commitments, including the Cargill CEO when it comes to agriculture, and the Boeing CEO also being here on the ground in Beijing. But at and Carolina at this part, it's hard to avoid that Iran will be looming very large over this conversation. In fact, a senior administration official who briefed US reporters before we headed over here to Asia did say that behind closed doors, President Trump is going to push the Chinese president when it comes to the country's stance around Iran during this conflict, including how Beijing remains the largest buyer of Iranian crude.
Speaker 4: Tyler Kendall life in Beijing. We so appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Look, let's check on the broader markets, because there's a volatile trading session. One point, we're in the red on the Nazaq one hundred. We're now back in the green. We're at about six tens of a percent leading. The pack is of course chip makers once again in terms of points.
Speaker 5: But I shine a light what's happening in China.
Speaker 4: The Golden Dragon, that is the Nazak Golden Dragon Index, which is really basically the trading of Chinese names. Here in the US, the ADRs, we're up three and a half percent. There is a lot of excitement about what one gentsen one could meet for Chinese tech.
Speaker 3: This is really tied to the Nvidia story, and Video itself is now up almost three percent and trading at a record high, up for a six straight day, matching the run it had in early April.
Speaker 2: And the story is really simple.
Speaker 3: A lot of those Chinese AI specific names, Minimax, Gipu, the examples, I mean, look at those games. That's astonishing overnight on the idea that there might be something here that Tyler just.
Speaker 4: Outlined, something here, something certainly for the market to continue to chew on as we've just seen relentless exuberant exuberants around a Fiona's and condas with US see City Index, Financial Markets Senior Analyst and Fiona Is there rationality to the moves in the Chinese names on the back of hope that they'll get access to more powerful chips. Is that something that you're looking to come out of the geopolitical event in China, you know.
Speaker 7: Something we've got our eyes on.
Speaker 8: So I think, you know, that would be the absolute icing on the cake as far as those stocks are concerned. And that's what we're sort of starting to see priced in. Is that optimism that that could potentially be on the table. I mean, the fact that we saw that later edition of Kuwan Jun saying joining the delegation to the US, I think has really just sort of been spurred on those hopes. And I think there's sort of broad More broadly speaking, I think there is just a level of excitement surrounding Trump's trip to China, and I think that's sort of really evident as we're seeing, you know, the Nazak push higher, even though we've got sort of those concerns regarding inflation and the sort of fundamental backdrop which normally would weigh down the tech index.
Speaker 3: We have been talking about the impact of the latest economic data in the markets, but I want to stay focused on what's happening in China. How does the market interpret and price in this delegation of CEOs that we're showing on the screen right now, Tim Cook, Elon Musk, Chuck Robbins, and as we've all mentioned, Jensen one with the president. What is it the market thinks that does this is like the who's who?
Speaker 8: You know, literally the top list of the CEOs from the US that you could wish for to go to speak to China regarding trade, regarding you know what move forward in AI, in chips. I mean, you know, the potential for these two economies to actually get sort of further agreements surrounding such enormous topics would be massive, And I mean, you know, I don't think we can underestimate that. I mean, if we just think about sort of you know, for example, chips, which you know have been a massive part of the story the rally in recent weeks. You know, if we think about it, the US is very much dominating the sort of the AI computing power at the top of the technology set, but at the bottom you've got China controlling much of the supply chain critical minerals needed to manufacture semmericonductors and advance electronics. So you know, if there are these two economies are deeply independent on each other. So the more agreements, the more synergies that they get together, the better that's going to be.
Speaker 4: Look, we are seeing just the run up in semiconductors hardware in particular continue. Even if we took a breath yesterday, we're back on and in the green today, Fiona.
Speaker 5: And it's notable that we're waiting.
Speaker 4: An IPO could be priced today, likely to start training tomorrow as cerebras. How are you thinking about the appetite among your clients to get more exposure, particularly for these very AI specific names.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's been you know, an extremely ramping up of demand over the last few weeks. I mean it's definitely caught the markets by surprise. I think, you know, we've seen that rally come, especially given the fact that we did see sort of in a little bit of a more depressed outlook towards these stocks at the end of last year and the beginning of this year. But you know, that has definitely moved forward. We're seeing that our clients are really very interested still in their stocks, which is interesting because I think technically the position is looking a little bit over done, so I think, you know, there is room for some consolidation and potentially a pullback here. But I think broadly speaking, the longer term trend is still looking very positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that's the question for me, what happens next?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, technology stocks basically are still at record highs irrespective of what's happening around the world, So what does happen now and why? What is the big swing factor in markets for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Completely?
Speaker 8: I mean this is what's really interesting, isn't that I think is the fundamental backdrop that we have is far from ideal. So I think, you know, if we look about what could happen next, I mean, supposing we do get the reopening of the Straight of horn Moose in the coming weeks, that would make the backdrop suddenly much more favorable, which potentially could mean there could be more gains to be had, not just in AI, not just in tech.
Speaker 7: SoCs, but potentially across the board.
Speaker 8: But I think if that doesn't happen, we're still seeing this solid demand for tech in AI, and I think there is a potential, as I said, for it to slow, even for there to be some consolidation or a pullback, just given the fact that we are technically so overdone. But I think as far as the child is looking, there isn't anything on there that's telling us that there are reversals.
Speaker 7: Coming anytime soon.
Speaker 8: And so for the time being, the side of least redistance does appear to be upwards.
Speaker 4: And is that global Fiona, As we're talking about China, we talk about the US, but Europe ASML has been a key name.
Speaker 5: We think about what's been happening in Japan, in South.
Speaker 4: Korea, which of course was shaken over the last couple of trading days because of talk of maybe some sort of citizen dividend and a sharing of the wealth of AI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 8: I mean the COSB, I think is a really interesting example. We've seen the volatility there really come up. I mean that had some extremely strong games before we had that pullback. But I think that's an interesting point that's being made there about the sort of the dividend, the people's dividend.
Speaker 7: On AI, that tax on AI.
Speaker 8: Is that something that could potentially be a risk point further down the line more globally. That's something I would be watching out for. But I think for now, this is a global story that we're looking at as far as AI is concerned, and that demand for tech is definitely.
Speaker 3: Back on Fionasenkodo City Index. Great to have you back on boombog Tech, Thank you very much. Coming up, we're going to speak with anderill Ceobrian Shint. The company hits a sixty one billion dollar valuation in its latest funding round.
Speaker 2: That's next. This is Bloomberg Tech. Defense tech start.
Speaker 3: Up Anderil has rocketed to a sixty one billion dollar valuation after a fresh five billion dollar raise led by Frive Capital and Ndres and Horr. It's almost twice the valuation it's said at one year ago. It underscores surging investor appetite for AI driven defense tech. Joining us now is Andreil CEO, Brian Schimp and Brian. It's good to have you back with us on bloom Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Happy to be here.
Speaker 3: This is confirmation a little bit of what we reported about a month couple of months ago. But actually when you come on the program, a lot of the questions we get for you are operational. So let's take the five billion dollars that you've raised, how much of that is to get Arsenal one done built and all of the other operational timelines that you guys are holding yourselves to imminently.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So as a business, you know, we were entering this period where production is the name of the game. So vast majority of our capital goes to scaling our factories, building out our production workforce, funding all that inventory, and really just getting that ramp to production working. We're increasing production revenue something like two hundred and fifty percent over the year, just year over year, So just a huge ramp in what we're seeing in terms of demand for our technology.
Speaker 7: Demand.
Speaker 5: Talk about it, how much breadth are we seeing.
Speaker 4: The geopolitical conflicts they have sadly increased, and we're still seeing this focus on the need for defense tech, but we know that the money is often still spent on primes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, look, we are still relatively young as a company. We're nine years in. We've been very successful by any measure for a company at that age in the defense world, and in the fraction of the market we're actually addressing right now is still quite small. But where we are seeing a lot of demand is particularly around things like counter drone and aaron missile defense. That's where you look at the conflict. This is a huge issue. This is a huge area where we're seeing massive increases and what the customers want, you know, our electronic warfare systems, our surface their missile systems, and then the other capability that we're seeing a lot of demand on that was you know, just announced today was a multi year procurement of a low cost cruise missile that we call Barracuda. The Department is buying, you know, thousands a year of these, and we're ramping these at just an unprecedented pace and being able to get these out to help with that critical munitions shortage and the ability to sustain these conflicts and provide the deterrence we need.
Speaker 2: Brian, just humor me on this one.
Speaker 3: The five billion dollars is sufficient to finish Arsenal one and start the production ramp.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we are already ramping production with the money we had in the bank. This is really about how do we continue to fuel that growth. I don't think we're going to see Arsenal one be done anytime soon because I think the demand we're going to continue to see and the amount we're going to have to new new scales just going to ramp and ramp over the next several years. This is a good problem to have, right and so we benefiting from the private markets and the ability to fund these very aggressive ramps. And it's a huge testament to you know, the American capital system that we can fund these things very, very quickly.
Speaker 3: It was interesting to go through a letter to your shareholders he wrote back in January actually and like kind of foretelling what was to come in the year. There's still a bit of a mistique about Anderill, right, so I think Palmer Lucky, one of your co founders, has talked about the idea that half of Android's products aren't really known about. There's particular interest in the next wave of subterrian weapons systems. Could you talk as far as you can about where those get built, you know, the next phase of life und reill beyond what the initial focus of Arsenal one is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So the purpose of the board letter was layout a lot of the you know kind of why of what are we doing? What's made us successful is we look at, you know, with the SS and technology, the shifts and warfare, what are the capabilities that are going to be needed over the next five or ten years and how can we start to invest to bring those forward. So you know, we're working on a whole plethora of different products, you know, everything, expanding the air and missile defense portfolio.
Speaker 10: We're working on, you know, new domains we're operating in.
Speaker 9: Palmer's always experimenting with the latest and greatest technologies and figuring out what you can do that nobody thought possible. So we just have a constant source of new ideas how technology can apply. But fundamentally, we look at this question of what are going to be the dominant technologies over the next ten or twenty years. What we're seeing in Iran, what we're seeing in Ukraine is that this idea of just the sheer volume of munitions that are exchange and the need to defend against that. These our critical capabilities that in any world will need to be solved for. And so a lot of our focus is really around these ideas of you know, how do we provide the right strike capabilities, the right intelligent targeting capabilities and the defense of these as well.
Speaker 5: At the right price. And I'm really interested Bran in.
Speaker 4: Some of these new ideas come from the administration itself, and the Golden Dome project is one of those new ideas that, according to current budget forecasts coming from the Congressional Budget Office, could be up to one point two trillion dollars of the ultimate project. Now, I know you're among the companies have been awarded initial contracts. Run what do you make of how much this could end up costing it?
Speaker 5: And it's worth.
Speaker 9: So a lot of those estimates are based off of what this would have cost historically, right, and that was based around building these things that are extremely expensive and extremely exquisite, where you're talking you know, ten twenty thirty million dollars a shot to you know, actually provide that defense well with commercial technologies, taking a smarter approach, using a lot of proven, you know, capabilities that already exist, adapting them for this problem, we believe you can get this to a much more efficient place and probably even more than.
Speaker 10: The price is can you even produce it?
Speaker 9: And today that's one of the major concerns, right, you know, we we shot something like a decade of tomahawk production in seventy two outs. You know, it's just a crazy rate that we're consuming these things, and the ability to replenish these becomes a critical issue.
Speaker 10: So our view of this is these are solvable problems.
Speaker 9: You can do it in a more efficient way than has been historically executed, and I think that you know, being able to execute this at a national scale is achievable now in a much more aggressive timeline at a much more efficient price than I think people have historically imagined.
Speaker 2: Okay, you get asked this a lot. Palmlucky gets asked this a lot. Trey gets asked it a lot.
Speaker 3: But when you do arounded this scale and you look at the composition of it, who's not there? People want to know about the rationale Forander or going public. Why they weren't more crossover investors. You know, this is the first time actually, Brian, you, the three of us have had to talk in length because when we were with you in October, the President made some news about China. So just talk us through Brian Shimp's thinking on an anderill Ipo.
Speaker 9: So we want to build one of the most pactful businesses in the world. Like, that's our goal, right, We want to seriously move the needle for the US and Allied warfighters, provide the right to terms capabilities, and do it at the men's scale, right, That is fundamentally what we care about. The rationale for going public is a lot less than it used to be. The private capital markets have grown in scale, the ability to fund a business like ours. You know, when we were doing this a few years ago, we were you know, at the upper end of what capital raises look like in the private market. We are a fraction of an AI fundraised at this point, and so the amount of capital that is available and it you know, wants to support these types of companies is is massive.
Speaker 10: So we're not in a rush to go public, right.
Speaker 9: We don't need to do it from the perspective of capital availability or liquidity. You know, we can provide liquidity to our early investors, our employees in relatively straightforward ways.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of means to do that.
Speaker 9: So a lot of the historic reasons of why you rush to go public don't don't really exist anymore. So for us that the question is when does it actually make sense? And for us it's you know, we've proven that our business model works, we've proven that we can scale, and you know, the fundamental economics of the business are shown to be, you know, as successful as we want to be, you know, a high growth company that can operate at high margins.
Speaker 10: That's fundamentally what we want to show.
Speaker 9: And when we feel like we've shown that that's a perfectly reasonable time to go public.
Speaker 10: So we're not in any run, We don't have any post sure to do it.
Speaker 4: It's great, Yeah, but investors want a stake, particularly retail, And I know you've been outspoken about the secondary market. Look today and Floppic, I think is yesterday, just put out a new blog saying that, Look, there are some areas in which Probics seems to be trading on a secondary market, and they call them stocks scams. In some areas they say it's issuing Fourgulan share certificates in the private artificial AI developer.
Speaker 5: Are you warning about that? Still?
Speaker 4: How worried are you about Andreill's shares trading fordulently on a secondary market?
Speaker 9: Look, we try to control our cap table tightly and make sure that you know everyone investor we have, We understand who they are. They're in it for the long haul, and they're in it for the right reasons. There's a lot of very bad actors that exist trying to, you know, hawk things that are not allowed, right, and we've seen a lot of prosecutions and other things related to this. Right, this is not a new issue, right, And so I think there's a problem here. I think the government's respond.
Speaker 4: Can you name the companies, Like, are there any secondary market providers you take issue with in particular?
Speaker 5: Sorry, just briefly name names?
Speaker 9: No, I mean, look like the reality is it's mostly individual bad actors. Very few of these you know, second market brokerages or listing things are inherently the problem. The issue is investors, you know, not even investors, these brokers misrepresenting what they have access to. And that's not good in a public market. It's not good in a private market. So the you know, I think it is a problem, but you know, it's something that we do everything weekend to control and try to help curtail.
Speaker 10: And it's affecting every one of the companies. Who are you know, interesting in the private markets.
Speaker 3: Brian, you've been generous to your time before we lose you from the program. The President's visit to China, the timeline of the threat to Taiwan twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: What Danderil's thinking on that.
Speaker 9: Look, diplomacy is good. We're in the deterrence business. We do not want there to be a conflict, and I think the President going and engaging REGI is a fantastic thing. And I'm very excited to see what comes out of this. And you know, we're also providing a lot of technology to Taiwan, supporting them and every opportunity we can, because we believe that they need the right capabilities and to have the right deterrence. And you know, the long talked about window of twenty twenty seven, kind of the period of maximum danger, I think it is true. You know, I don't think anyone believes that it was a you know, January one, twenty twenty seven and invasion begins, but it highlights a period where, you know, kind of the PRC has a more established military capability and the US and Taiwan at a relative disadvantage compared to other points in time, and so it is a period of significant risk. And with all of the complexities going on in the world with Iran, with Ukraine, you know, with all the other areas that are you know, hotspots in the world, it creates a significant stress on the US military. So I think this is the opportunity for diplomacy is good to try to ensure that nothing does happen and try to find a scenario that preserves the status quo, that is working reasonably well, and that's that's honestly what I hope for out of this summit.
Speaker 4: Bran Chef fascinating all things geopolitics, all things you'll raised sixty one billion dollar valuation the Andreil CEO.
Speaker 5: We so appreciate your time today.
Speaker 4: Now it's expected to be the final day of evidence in the closely watched trial between Elon.
Speaker 5: Musk and open Ai. Yesterday, Sam Altman.
Speaker 4: Told jurors he was quote extremely uncomfortable with Musk's insistence on having full control of the startup in its early days. Mask You're a member is suing open Ai, his former co founders, and Microsoft, alleging that they abandoned the chatchebt maker's altruistic mission. Let's get more with Bloomberg AI editor Seth Figgerman. So what seems to have transpired, what's being articulated by Sam Altman is that at some point in al Musk actually was thinking about a profit side of it, thinking about trying to earn control, and indeed was then thinking bequeathing it to his children if he died, right.
Speaker 11: As one does. Yeah, a little bit of dramatic testimony there. So much of o'pennie's counter argument to Musk claims here is that really his frustration is that he was not able to control and be CEO of Opennie and the way that he is with all his other ventures. And so Sam Alman recounted a conversation with Musk where he allegedly said that you know, if and when he were to die and he was in control of Opennie, he would pass it along to his children. Now you know that's openiey saying it, but also said that, you know, Musk wanted control in the early days, but wasn't really willing to sign documentations saying that control would lift at some point. In his own testimony, Musk has said, yeah, he might have had control early on, but the expectation was more investors would come in and eventually he wouldn't have that same level of control and.
Speaker 5: Beg Seth Figerman. We so appreciate the round up. We have some breaking.
Speaker 4: News though that we must hit because crossing the terminal right now, ARM and its majority owner soft Bank reportedly tried to buy Cerebrus in an evenly split cash and stock deal that would have valued the upstart at one hundred billion dollars. According to sources, This all happened weeks before the chip maker was due to make its public debut. Of course, the person who's been busy breaking that story and also come anchoring the show on air is one Ed Ludlow. Talk us through it as to this was happening in the background during May.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, Cerebras is going to list tomorrow, right, and this happened at the beginning of May. They very clearly said no, we're not interested. But ARM and soft Bank, which majority owns ARM, tried why very interesting. We can get into it in the back half of the show because there's a lot more to come on Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Let's get back to that news that broke just a few moments ago. ARM and its majority own a soft Bank tried to buy Cerebras.
Speaker 2: That's according to sources.
Speaker 3: My understanding is this all happened in the last couple of weeks, early May, and it's just before Cerebras, the chip maker is Judo public day. They were robuffed, you know, Cerebras said no. My understand is and understanding his ARM and soft Bank would have happily paid a premium, big premium, but Cerebras backs itself, and its leadership back backs them, and the investors backed them to do this alone as a public company.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at the demand for its IPO looks going to be pricing today. We understand that it's going to price at the top end of the marketed range up to one hundred and sixty dollars plus.
Speaker 5: We're seeing maybe the biggest.
Speaker 4: Amount raised in a semiconductor.
Speaker 5: Name since ARM went public. Maybe even more of the green shoe allotment is used.
Speaker 4: But why would ARM and Cerebras have been sort of a useful synergy here?
Speaker 3: Well, because you know, ARM goes from being a chip designer to wanting to be a chip maker like actually sell directly into the market, and Cerebras this in this phase of inference in AI the broader infrastructure play it backs itself as well. Anyway, I should just probably note that all of the parties involved declined to comment or did not immediately respond to comment to Bloomberg. We should check in on our markets, because markets being than by what's happening in Beijing. Then, as that one hundred modestly higher four tenths percent US listed Chinese companies that's the Golden Dragon China Index up four percent.
Speaker 2: A big part of this is in Nvidia.
Speaker 3: Shares of Chinese AI model developers in particular surged after in video CEO Jensen Wang was announced to be joining President Trump's China trip. Shares of Minimax and GPU on the hopes of progress on Nvidia's ability to sell chips into China. Look at those gains overnight Bloomberg's Chinese Equities report. Henry Renn is with us. Henry, look at those gains overnight. I mean the response in Asia trading was interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 12: So the last minute trip by Jensen Vana's boasting the morale of mainland traders. We're seeing double digit gains in the likes of Tupol and Minima Access well the Chinese model makers, but not limited to that. That has obviously spread to today's US trading session as well. We see Ali, Baba, JD, the likes of those Chinese tech names also trading hire in mainland session. We have the Chinax Index, which is China's equivalent of Nasdaq for those young tech companies also soaring to a record. So there are some optimism that China and US could strike some form of deals on chip x sports. And remember that Nvidia has gained approval from Washington to sell h two hundred chips into China since end.
Speaker 2: Of last year.
Speaker 12: But still that there are some hopes that for more powerful models can be used.
Speaker 4: Really interesting that you bring up Ali Baba because actually Ali Baba Tencent, they gave us fundamentals as well.
Speaker 5: They came out with their earnings.
Speaker 4: And thus far they're investing a ton, but the return on that investment from AI investment just doesn't seem to be there yet.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's the huge issue that the market is focusing on today with both company reporting results, so probably we can start from Ali Baba. So the company, I think it does reassure investors because it's said it's cloud revenue grew by about forty percent in the first quarter, and that's the key number that market has been focusing on.
Speaker 2: That's an acceleration from.
Speaker 12: The quarter earlier, so it does show that there are some AI trajectory going on. And in the meantime, it's also saying that for its AI related revenue related to its models as well as application services, that will reach about one hundred ten billion R and B for the June quarter, so that's a helpful additional disclosure as well. So it does show some AI momentum, but at the same time that Capex has been soaring as you mentioned, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean while ten Cent reported this last place of revenue growth in over a year. Henry Rens always great to catch up with you and the latest and all things China and AI. But now let's take a look at today's big number. It's around AI and it's over nine hundred billion dollars. This is Athropits targeted new valuation, according to sources who say the company is in early talks with investors to raise at least thirty billion dollars lush financing. It could set the stage what maybe the largest funding round yet for the company, though the deal it's not been finalized, no term sheet has been signed. Natasha Mascarenes, who joins us now, who helped break this story alongside Ed and just tell us a little bit about the inbounds, almost the love letters they've been receiving from potential investors.
Speaker 13: It's a great way to describe it, Caroline. I mean, a few weeks ago, these were conversations that were coming completely unsolicited from Anthropics backers. Now we have reporting that they are engaging in those conversations and discussing around that could see them raise at least thirty billion, and sources are telling us that the round could close as soon as the end of this month. It's one that we're tracking very closely and definitely the biggest update we've had on the round throughout this circus of interest.
Speaker 3: You know, the private markets are alive, you know, to put it mildly, and it's interesting this Hasha that you know, Anthropic feels comfortable now with this valuation here. We've gone from a place in just the last two or three weeks where they a rebuffed office and now you know, we don't want to do this. But the main thing that's happened in the interim is that Claude continues to have Amnum enterprise adoption of Enthropic, and then there's the Mefos government angle give us the sort of awkward elephant in the room, which is that if they close this round, they will have evaluation higher than open AI.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 13: I mean, this is a massive narrative shift around Anthropic and we've been covering it relentlessly. Our understanding is that the investor interest far exceeds how much Anthropic will actually end up accepting from investors, and so you are seeing them maybe be picky on valuation.
Speaker 5: Lead investor.
Speaker 13: The term shit is not officially signed as of our reporting last evening, but we do expect that to change, you know, as fast as we're able to confirm it. And so the real question and what we're looking at next is, let's say Anthropic closes us around as per our sources as soon as the end of this month. Does this change their IPO timeline? Does it need to change their IPO timeline? I mean, you guys just had Brian Schimp from Andral on the show who was saying that Andreol was raising just a quarter of what AAI financing is. I'm curious what you think ed about if this, does you know, change when we see the sprite officially filed for Ananthropic, Well.
Speaker 3: It depends what happens with SpaceX June July. Does that sock Oxygen out of the room. But again, if the private markets provide, what's the need to go public? Bloombasin Tash Mascaranus teaming up on another big twist and turn in the Anthropic story.
Speaker 4: Some breaking news regarding Misral, the AI giant of France is apparently developing a new AI model for banks who lack access to Mythos. This is all about cybersecurity vulnerabilities. Already, Mistral of France had been working with local European banks to have a new model that would stress test cyber risks around the banks and more broadly in their systems. When now we understand those banks of course have been wanting access to Mythos, and now Mistral is looking to develop this new model that can uncover cybersecurity vulnerabilities at unprecedented speed and ScaleOut reporting.
Speaker 2: All according to Bloomberg's sources.
Speaker 3: Okay, Varda Space is planning to send medicines from United Therapeutics into orbit to explore the use of microgravity in creating drugs.
Speaker 2: It's one of the first commercial.
Speaker 3: Research deals to develop medicine molecules in space and then return them to Earth. That the mission still in its early stages. I speak with Varda CEO Will Brewy. Let's talk timeline. This is exciting development for you guys because it's a real commercial opportunity. When does it happen? What are the steps to start working with United.
Speaker 14: Yeah, thanks for having me ed. It's happening now, which is really exciting. The research has been done for decades and so now we're moving into the commercial phase. VARDA has been flying for years, and so this commercial endeavor will be putting drugs into space in the next year. We're working on those drugs right now in the lab with United.
Speaker 4: And when they're in space, what are you hoping to prove?
Speaker 5: What are you hoping to see? Where does this drive United?
Speaker 14: So the most confusing thing about VARDA is the space part. If you just imagine we had an anti gravity technically, admit it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you imagine.
Speaker 14: We had an anti gravity technology where we could manipulate chemical systems on Earth to improve formulations in a way that would otherwise be impossible. And by formulation I mean going from like an IV bag to a shot or better bioavailability. Then it would make total sense. Now is shipping the space is becoming just shipping. We can access microgravity in a way that helps patients.
Speaker 3: Today, I've had the opportunity to sort of interact with I don't know you called it a spacecraft or if you call it a minifactory, but just go through the basics of who's the launch provider, what happens when you get into low Earth all a bit? And then how long typically is the spacecraft will capsule in all bit?
Speaker 14: Sure, So I'll even step back just because we're so excited about this United announcement today. First, we work with the customers before we even get there, and we develop a microgravity enabled formulation on the ground in our lab in cooperation and partnership with United. Once those microgravity enabled formulations are ready for flight, what does that.
Speaker 5: Look like like gravity enabled formula?
Speaker 14: It means that the temperature, profile, the concentration, all the parameter that would go into any other drug formulation now has the option of turning off gravity during the process, which means we can make a new outcome for patients. So then what we do is, once we have that formulation, we load it into our spacecraft. Our launch provider is SpaceX. We launch put our spacecraft onto a Falcon nine rocket dedicated rideshare, which is great because now we get to take advantage of good costs and frequent availability to space. So now the spacecraft separates from the rocket like it would any other satellite, So it looks like a satellite to SpaceX. You can fit twenty of these things on a single rocket. It's now orbiting the Earth. We do the manufacturing process where there isn't gravity affecting the sedimentation of the crystals, and then once those properties are locked in, our spacecraft flies itself back to earth lands in Australia. And now we have the drug for patients.
Speaker 5: And what does it help patients with?
Speaker 4: I mean, how is this going to unleash a whole new area of medicine.
Speaker 14: It's wild because it's gravity is a fundamental force of physics, so it's extremely broad technology, anything from bioavailability to shelf stability. A classic example that was flown on the International Space Station was going for from an IV bag to a shot. So imagine you're in rural America and you don't have access to a clinic. You now have access to the drug because that same drug can be form factored into a shot instead of an IV bag, and that shot can come to you instead of.
Speaker 2: You having to go to the clinic.
Speaker 3: We're showing images right, this is images of vod of returning to Earth. So this sounds ridiculous, and I'll say it anyway. You try and land in Australia. That seems quite easy. Australia is quite big. Actually it's not. How restrictive is that that landing pad of it of one continental nation?
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, so more than try. I mean we've done this now four or five times. And the reason I say four or five one of them was in Utah and the rest were in Australia.
Speaker 2: But that go in Utah. Oh, it was great.
Speaker 14: I mean, you know mission that was our first mission success.
Speaker 2: See. Yeah.
Speaker 14: The thing that's nice about Australia is it's a commercial range, so we don't need to get in the way of the military operations that are happening at our test ranges, so we can not disturb them while while landing commercially. But it's great, I mean it makes the the the process way easier.
Speaker 5: You're excited about United Therapeutics deal. Where next? How what does this prove out for others?
Speaker 14: Well, this is just the tip of the tip of the iceberg because it's such a broad technology that affects so many drugs. You know, United is kind of in the future and they have been for quite some time, and so we're really lucky to work with such a crack team. But this technology is broad, so it applies to a wide variety of pharmaceuticals for a wide variety of patients.
Speaker 4: Well as that starts to go up into space, come back join us. Wilbury, CEO of Art of Space, on that new announcement. Meanwhile, there's been plenty of announcements coming out about agentic commerce and international expansion from a firm.
Speaker 5: It's just been.
Speaker 4: Reporting yesterday at the company's twenty twenty six investor forum, the fintech company is laying out a bold roadmap to one hundred billion dollars in annual volume. Look, CEO Max Levchen and plans to say, joins us in New York and I'm sad I'm not their next to you, Max, but to tell us about what you're in a I know too far, but I'm in interested in what you told the investors, the analyst community in New York yesterday and for the next few days.
Speaker 5: How do you get to that sort of volume? Where are the growth factors you?
Speaker 15: The exciting thing is that literally everything we have been working towards is coming together and working incredibly well. We held a similar event three years ago and promise investors will get to fifty billion dollars of growth merchandise volume, our merchant sales that we power, and we will do so by maintaining while maintaining our profit margins within three and four percent, we will grow at twenty percent per year or so. That that was the story we told them three years ago. We've now come back. We're now basically at that fifty billion dollar mark. He would expect us to slow down, but instead we told our investor based yesterday, we expect to grow twenty five percent compounding, so five points extra, and we intend to up the floor of our profitability from three to three point seventy five percent. So not only are we growing faster, not only are we reaching more consumers, more merchants, we intend to do this more profitably, and we feel it's just getting better and better for us. So that's the that's the headline. And you know, I read a lot of conversations yesterday that seem to indicate that our investors quite enjoying the news.
Speaker 3: Mac Max just very simply, why is a one hundred billion dollar volume target the right target?
Speaker 2: The right metric?
Speaker 3: When people try and understand a firm like you, come the show often and we talk about the different offerings and some of the newer products that you're doing this kind of north star or achievable goal. Probably to your mind. It's really interesting that you've set that as it.
Speaker 15: You know, it is just a waypoint. We have absolutely no intention of slowing down or stopping at one hundred is just another nice round number that we can set our sights to. But we do see an incredible market pull. Consumers are ready, they are coming to us. We are now seeing inbounds from consumers that have didn't discover us at the point of sale, which is the usual way just signing up for from asking us to send them a card so they can transact everywhere. That's been a huge poll that's contributed to our growth tremendously. Merchants come to us saying, I've seen your logo on my competitor sites. I know you're driving ten to twenty percent more sales for them.
Speaker 16: You should do the same for us.
Speaker 15: Let us sign up, you should promote our sales events, tell us merchants in your app. Because we're now reaching fifteen million monthly consumers and so on. So just the tremendous amount of we're finally a real scalable thing that every constitution cares about a lot is what gives us the confidence to go towards this new milestone.
Speaker 4: AMS liked it, like obviously talking about the pending Industrial Bank Charter. That could be another strength area than the fact that you've got competitive advantage. But take us to the future and the agentic commerce future, because we talk about it a lot on the show and you are already doing deals with Google.
Speaker 5: What does that look like in.
Speaker 4: Terms of how I'm going to be having a relationship with a firm going forward.
Speaker 15: I think it's going to be incredible. I cannot be more excited about this new AI powered future in many different facets As an engineer, as a coder, I love what we have today. As a consumer, as a buyer of complicated things, I love the help that a I provides me when I research the finer points of you know, whatever it is that I'm the matter now. A firm is a great tool of buying things that are meaningful that when it matters. That's when consumers come to us. They want anything from a bicycle to a couch to the expressing machine. During those moments, you want to know that the financing choice you're making has your back that you're not going to get hit with some unexpected fees. You know exactly when you're going to start and stop with your payments.
Speaker 2: That's what we've built, and.
Speaker 15: Agents just make it that much easier to bring to the end consumer. And the brand we've built allows people to trust us. The fact that we're able to partner with LM providers allows us to be right there when consumers are searching and doing the research. So it's just an incredible incremental growth engine that we found.
Speaker 3: Max, you're again emphasizing the word built. You do that often. But how does quickly, Max Leftchin, think about M and A in a firm's future.
Speaker 15: You know, we've looked for years. We haven't found anything in the last few so never say never. But we have so much to do just with a team that we have. It's you know, when opportunities come up, well, of course, look at them, but we're very focused on building a firm here.
Speaker 3: Max Leftchin back on Bloomberg Tech, thank you very much for your time today. Now coming out, we're going to get the bank to what to expect from President Trump's meeting. Regijen Ping and will Ai be in focus. Probably this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Tech, it's time now for talking tech and first start. Softbag posted a jump in profit fueled by valuation games on its open AI investment. Kano Mascioshi San has spent the last year pivoting the company's focus from bench startups to silicon and data centers.
Speaker 5: Plus, following a visit.
Speaker 4: From Scott Besant, Japan's three megabanks are set to gain access to anthropics powerful mythos models, according to the person Familie with the matter Now. The move comes despite a widespread alarm over Mythos and speculation about its potential cybersecurity risks and Nevius Well. It's emerging as a powerhouse in the AI data center gold rush, reporting a six hundred and eighty four percent jump in first quarter sales on increased demand for its own data center. The company competes with the range of neocloud startups like Callweve that rent out competing resources to AI developers.
Speaker 3: ED okay, just go back to what everyone's talking about today, and that's President Trump's meeting, was ujingping and what to expect. Bloomberg Senior Tech editor Mike Shephard joins us from DC GO to our senior tech editor. Because there is a big delegation of tech CEOs with the president. Jensen Wong is with him and those are the issues on the table.
Speaker 17: Those are the addition at the last minute in a really dramatic move of Jensen Wang to the trip certainly thrust artificial intelligence to the center of the discussions.
Speaker 16: It's unclear what sort of progress we.
Speaker 17: Will actually see in the areas that are most dear to Nvidia and that would be gaining more access to the Chinese market. They have one US permission to sell those h two hundred AI chips to customers in China, but Chinese authorities have been reluctant to allow their own producers to buy those chips on mass and is they want to promote and protect their own domestic chip making industry led by Huawei, led by Cambra Con and SMIC, and yet there is the tension on the other side. They want their own artificial intelligence companies, the model developers also the gain and edge and they have been clamoring for that. And today we did see shares of Minimax knowledge at lists and even today US traded shares of Ali, Baba and bay Do all climb on the prospect that there could be more compute going to China.
Speaker 4: Talk to us about the names that were already solidified as going, because Qualcom's going, Micron's going. Companies with exposure to China and the one to increase where would they be fitting in to the ultimate demand equation.
Speaker 16: Here well the broader demand equation.
Speaker 17: Of course, from Micron, they have their own separate issues with China where they are almost company non grata at a certain level. Their role in the memory market is really key as well, and it's something that for chip makers and developers worldwide they want to have a piece of being able to contribute to the creation of AI processors not only designed by Nvidium, by AMD, but by other companies as well, so they could be looking to push into there, and same with Qualcom. Qualcom of course has a lot of business when it comes to chips for mobile phones, and that could be a way in there.
Speaker 16: More broadly, when we look at this trip and.
Speaker 17: Its agenda, though, Caro, it's interesting that we see the White House Science and Technology Policy Advisor Michael Kratzio's there, and this could signal that AI and discussions around the technology will be really front and Center. We could see the US raise concerns about the practice of distillation that we have seen where AI models are unfairly extracted, and also a working group created to discuss.
Speaker 4: AI Mike Shepherd across all the latest coming between those key talks in Beijing at the moment.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you running it.
Speaker 4: Up, but that does it for this edition of bloom Bag Tech. Right here from San Francisco. We've got to get back to that breaking news that you helped break in earlier this hour. Talk us through why ARM was potentially looking to buy Cerebras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ARM and SoftBank tried to buy Cerebras, Sobria said no, they will go public tomorrow. But Cerebris makes supercomputers at scale for inference, and that's where the AI story is right now. That, of course, all according to Bloomberg sources. Recap that story and many others on the podcast. You know where to find it, Apple, Spotify, iHeart and all of the Bloomberg platforms.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech