Speaker 1: West Coast is DJ Head.
Speaker 2: You can check me out live here at the bouleg kV podcast and everywhere that you get your cracker barrel.
Speaker 3: Yo, it's the bluele cav Podcast.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: We got a special guests in here.
Speaker 4: My guy, my brother, DJ Head West Coast. Welcome, sir, I'm back. He's back. Yes. First of all, congratulations, had I want to tell you to your face because I know I texted you and I told you on the phone, but I'm just super proud of you, dog. I love you, and it's not I just love the moment you're having right now.
Speaker 1: It's it's amazing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Thank you, And you've, like this whole time, been pushing the same line. You've never like swayed in terms of like your integrity, and it's like you played the very like patient game. And it's glad to I'm just glad to see like everyone else recognizing like what you've been doing for LA for so long, and like obviously this moment with Kendrick and the pop hours, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, it was dope.
Speaker 3: Couldn't have been anybody doper out there.
Speaker 2: Shout out to a peace Lang, Shout out to the Free Lunch Agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the city and the homies too for really showing up and making an event of success. A lot of people had to put things aside and make sacrifices.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: It was dope. Yeah, and uh, you know for people who don't know obviously you, I mean you came out swinging just with everybody and their mom and I love how problem ended your set because like, like, what is like, you know, I mean, the crowd fucking it was amazing.
Speaker 3: What was the process.
Speaker 4: Of putting the artists who came out during your set together?
Speaker 1: I wasn't. It wasn't. I can't take credit for that. That was pg Lang. So you didn't pick the artists, Nah, it was pg Lang.
Speaker 2: They came to me with, hey, here's what we're here's what because you gotta think this is like they don't do anything that's just loose leaf, right, You've never seen anything just random loose leaf.
Speaker 3: And everything's very purpose Yes.
Speaker 2: So they came to me and was like what. First of all, shout out to Tim Henshaw and the Free Lodgenon Agency. They were like Tim reached out and was like, hey, you know dot want you to open the show. I was like, are you fucking serious? Like yeah, like that's how we're gonna kick the show off. You're going to be the first thing. And he wants sees on the show's fire.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what's the play And they're like, well, they selected artists. Here are the artists that we're here. Here's the list that.
Speaker 2: We're thinking of, and we just want you to curate this in a way that makes sense from a DJ's perspective.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, okay, bet.
Speaker 2: And two artists were added last minute, which was ol Osama and RJ And those are super last minute. But you know, I can't take credit for that, Like if it was up to me, I would it would be hell of people that was I mean, Vince Staples was going, Grido was going.
Speaker 1: Joe wasn't there, Like it was a bunch of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Joe Moses, I felt like, was the one that Joe and Grido in terms of like having records that you'd be like wanting to see the crowd like.
Speaker 2: So my plan was, again if everybody, if you were watching the st or you were there, I was there. Yeah, But if you were watching the stream, you notice like, okay, I'm supposed to going at four. And the thing about logistics is we couldn't even fit everybody that we that everybody that they picked, we couldn't even fit within the show. So I had to make executive decisions and shout out to Perico and Kaylin, like Pirico's his own artist, but he came out with I had him do keep right with it with Kaylin, and then I had a z Chik and Roochie do the song together. It's their biggest songs called Lighted Up, So I had them do a song together and I just kind of just made the call, like hey bro, Phoenix Flexen ended up being there.
Speaker 1: He was a rehearsal to.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that they were going to transition from Geeka Leak to a shoreline song no time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so you know, shout out to OJZ and Phoenix and Rory and the teen for like being understanding. But it was like you got to understand, this is not a concert that's contained in the forum.
Speaker 1: This is being streamed.
Speaker 3: It's a show in a production.
Speaker 2: It's a full TV show that requires logistics and timing, Like we had to time our sets out. Mustard had turn in his list of which songs he was going to play in the mix in between artists before artists, And so at four o'clock when I was supposed to start, we were running behind because for whatever reason, production was running behind. I couldn't even play the records I was gonna play as a DJ set before I brought Ramble.
Speaker 4: Out right, So you were supposed to hop on and just warm up the crowds as a DJ. I was d kind of like what Mustard did.
Speaker 2: Correct, I was gonna DJ, but we were half an hour already into the show. It's like, we gotta go, so again. I would like to have everybody on.
Speaker 4: The fucking show, Little Veda, you know, little little Vada.
Speaker 2: I wanted to have lived on it. I wanted to have like you, everyone who knows me knows what I'm wan. For sure, I would have everybody on the show. Sure, Logistically it just doesn't make sense. It doesn't we don't have time for that whatever. So I just may do it what I was given and I didn't need.
Speaker 4: I had to.
Speaker 2: I had to sacrifice my DJ set and it just is what it is, like. I didn't even I wrote a monologue. I wrote a monologue that I was gonna that. I was gonna say, then I had after the monologue, I had a DJ set, and then I was gonna bring Ramble out. I just came out, said a little quick sun and brought Rumble out.
Speaker 4: And that was Rymble's first performance ever. Yeah, which is I mean shot to Rymble. Yeah, I mean shot the Sampizro kicking it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was a big and you know what, And that was changed in rehearsal as.
Speaker 3: Well, the song he did or him opening.
Speaker 2: Him opening, I was gonna have so again we're DJ, so you understand. I was putting the set together. So the idea was, hey, there's three names on the marquee. It's you, Mustard Dot and as you're putting the set together, that's going to do a performance. You and Mustard have DJ sets, but live performances of the of the records. So I'm putting the set together like I'm DJing in the mix that way, and people are coming out as I'm playing the records.
Speaker 4: It felt like it was building up to like to me, like obviously like like what and RJ at towards the end, because like n og Z towards the end, it's like it just was very it made sense.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like oh, this person's new or because I was my initial set and I have I ain't think I research this, but.
Speaker 1: My initial idea.
Speaker 2: I wasn't have Wally open mm because he was gonna come out and do a cappella and like how we did the set, I was gonna have Wyley the sense they come out and do all through the flow and it was gonna be a cappella just to set the tone and then the beat comes in and then I was gonna have like a roller coaster like Okay, we're familiar with this kind of unfamiliar and then go back up. Then then as we were going through it, it didn't feel right in rehearsal and shout out to PG Lane the homies over there, like they just let me make calls and I was like, nah, I'm gonna change the whole set around. Let me let me work on it whatever, and they let me. They let me do my thing.
Speaker 4: What was the how like you said that Zoe and RJ got added super late, was that like your call or their call or.
Speaker 2: It was just Don just got the call like hey we need to hey, we need we want to add RJ.
Speaker 1: Can you call them? I'm like, yeah, it was seven seven am the day up, oh ship.
Speaker 4: It was just like that.
Speaker 2: It just honestly just went hella fast. And I think for the most part, I think, you know, they did a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: For sure, it was great.
Speaker 4: And then do you know the background because I remember seeing like a paper of the set list for Mustard and Tyler wasn't on it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know Tyler was gonna be there because I didn't I didn't know Tyler was gonna be there until he was walking. He literally walked past me backstage, like we were in the hallway. I was right outside of a Kendrick's dressing room. So because I was waiting, Top had went in to go talk to him. I was waiting to go in and talk to him, and so Tyler walks in the door. We shake hands and he was like and even Sallast was like, that's Tyler the Creator. I'm like, I know he was gonna be here, but it was that happening right in that spot where we were standing, Like Lebron walked by and then fucking I don't know whoever I'm like the Weekend Walking by Rick Ross was there and I'm like, yo, what are these people doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They weren't.
Speaker 1: They're not on the set list, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like, not that I didn't see, I didn't see dot set list, but me and Mustard had to collaborate on our sets so we can overlap right right right. So I didn't know about none of that shit. I didn't even know Tyler was performing. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was that was out of the whole night that.
Speaker 2: I'm just backstage and I heard they werena loose, that Tyler crowd.
Speaker 4: Pop was it was outside of Kendrick. I was just the Tyler coming out, and I don't think anyone expected any Nah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that shit. I didn't even know what that was gonna do.
Speaker 4: I gotta ask you this. I was surprised that Lebron didn't make his way on stage, because it feels like the Lebron thing to do. Did he do you know if he tried to get on stage?
Speaker 1: Nah, he didn't. Okay, he was chilling where he was at.
Speaker 4: He was just chilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because there was this little, this.
Speaker 2: Little area where we were all hanging out whatever, like side stage, and he was just over there with his I think with his family or something.
Speaker 1: Chilling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking about things being like super intentional and like, you know, there were people who were there who could have came out and did stuff, but they weren't from LA. Yeah, and everybody who came out performed. The only thing that was in LA that happened was E forty narrating the show. But you gotta have you gotta have you gotta have that. Yeah, but I mean that was per It's full right, Like nobody who touched that stage wasn't.
Speaker 2: I believe it was intentional. I never even asked about it, right, I wasn't. I didn't approach it like, yeah, this is my ship. Yeah, they gave me, Hey, this is what we need you to do. I just executed my job. I didn't question anybody. I didn't do anything. It was like, because it's not about me, right, And I think that a lot of people can attest to that. Even the way I was conducting the sessions, it was like, it's not about me, bro, it's not about you. It's about Dot and this, and we need to make this look dope. Collectively, so I didn't even approach it from like, oh, here's my input on this or this is what I think.
Speaker 1: I just was worried about getting the task done. I didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy too, because like being there, like just from like a fancy I was. I actually watched the show. I mean obviously my son was there, but Letty was sitting next to me with Jorge, and uh it was it just felt like it felt like one of them moments they're like, man, I'm gonna remember the rest of my life. I was sitting right here.
Speaker 1: Fat me too.
Speaker 4: Like it when it kicked off, like when Kendrick came out doing Euphoria, which is my favorite song out of all the songs that have dropped throughout this whole thing, I lost my fucking mind. But like you standing there, did you kind of feel the like gravity of like this.
Speaker 1: You did well?
Speaker 4: By the way, you should have gotten a better position on that photo because you're getting cropped out on all here because you're right on the edge.
Speaker 1: I'm not tripping about that, you know how I am.
Speaker 4: Someone made a T shirt and like you could see half of you on there. I'm not sure, No, I know you're not I know you're not.
Speaker 2: But so before I went on stage, because we had our cues, we worked out our cues, and E forty starts playing, and I'm just standing there on st I'm like, okay, I'm trying to remember some of my monologue, right, so you can get some shit off, So I can get some shit off, yeah, because other than I would have just read the whole thing and you know, did the whole teleprint or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But I was trying to get my shit there.
Speaker 2: I was trying to remember certain things that I did want to make sure I said, and then at that point, you just going off feeling. So I just went up there, and at first I still behind the turntables, and I was just like, all right, let me just get right to it and not hold people up. Then I'm like, nah, let me, let me go ahead and take the moment and just you know, work the crowd or whatever and let people see me and try to try to absorb some of that energy. But I was, to be honest with you, I wasn't thinking about it. If you think about it, you're gonna you will fucking psych yourself out.
Speaker 1: And start you'll lose your ship for sure.
Speaker 2: So I was even backstage when we were lining I was lining the homies up and telling her I couldn't because people were like.
Speaker 1: Yo, this is fucking crazy, this is history.
Speaker 2: Like you understand, I can't get in that because if I get into that then I'll fuck up miss a Cue or miss you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just got to play the game, in the game to do the work. Yeah it worked out, man, it was. It was wonderful. I got to ask you man like you. You also just launched the new radio show on Serious with Gina, effective.
Speaker 1: Immediately immediately three weeks in two weeks in third show just haired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how's that been?
Speaker 4: Life changing? Like it's like, you know, obviously, Gina has been doing her thing, putting in work for years behind the scenes, in front of the camera, whole fashions, et cetera, all the way back to when she was doing stuff with Adam. So what was it like, give me the background of like when the idea started with her to do this show?
Speaker 2: So me, So honestly, we've been working with Gina with four years now something like that for something like that, and she's been on our team and you know, like I mentor her and try to make sure like everything's straight. But then one day we when I left iHeart and she ended up leaving No Jumper.
Speaker 1: We both had an idea. What we were trying to figure.
Speaker 2: Out, like what the idea for the show is, Like, what's the idea for the show, what's the premise of it. So we were trying to come up with names and ideas and we were shooting back and forth it and we were on the phone with Salace one day and I said, and I forgot if she said it or I said, it was like, yeah, we want to feel something like when you get terminated, it's like something effective immediately, And Sialace just goes like, wait, what would you say, Like something like, because we're trying to play on the fact of our employment status, when you get them letters right, effective immediately you are no longer with the company, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And so so I was like, what would you say. I'm like, yeah, something like that, and he.
Speaker 2: Was like, that's it, effective media, It's like effective immediately, that's it. I'm like yeah, And then we just kind of ran from it. And then I went shout out to j One and you know, Ron Mills and Sway Sway really because I called Sway like fourth quarter last year and I was like, Yo, I want to do the syndicated thing, blah blah blah. He put the he put me in touch with the higher ups over there, and they ended up giving me what I wanted, Like we did a non exclusive deal. So I'm going to syndicate not only not only on serious but on terrestrial FM radio. That's got some announcements coming out in the next couple of weeks. So yeah, that really is how it started. But where I'll see it.
Speaker 1: Going is bigger than radio or podcasts because obviously you and Chuck started together doing homegrown radio.
Speaker 4: So ye with the new show, where does that leave the homegrown radio?
Speaker 2: So homegrown homegrown, We're still doing our thing. I look at Homegrown more like the rap radar shit okay, like when beat Out and Elliott was doing ay thing, so that'll be more sophisticated. We actually are, we actually are doing We have one rhapsody dropping soon.
Speaker 5: Some more like the long form Yeah, effective effective immediately is like the radio show daily talk, topics, news, fun whatever, also celebrity interviews, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But the homegrown pod is more like long form deeper conversations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, like, that's the one thing about radio nowadays is just like, I mean, shit, man, where do you feel. I mean, look, you've been out of radio what two years? How do you feel going back into it? Yeah, because obviously, you know, I don't want to get in the background of why things didn't work out at iHeart for you. But it was an interesting situation in which I remember we went.
Speaker 3: To a concert that was sponsored by Amazon Music.
Speaker 1: Once it's Kendrick Lamar, it was, it was Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 4: It was yeah, and there was Amazon Music.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, an iHeart sweet. Yeah, We're like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: But with that being said, getting back into it, because you know, at the end of the day, like radio is not what it used to be. But it's also if you do it, if you do it right, if you know what you're doing, if you you know, aren't just mailing it in, Like a lot of these personalities are across the country, there is a place for it to still matter.
Speaker 3: It does matter, Yeah, No, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think it's another place where I mean, I think all free medium is going to be around forever. TV radio, same shit free It's all going to exist because it's a free medium and people don't have to pay for to consume it. But I think what radio is going is bigger shows, less personalities. I don't necessarily see like a lot of smaller shows existing anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't think that people.
Speaker 2: Like people still care about having a compersonal connection to the station and the radio.
Speaker 1: They don't care about live and local. They just want they just want good content.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they want to hear their Honestly, they want to hear their favorite song in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's all they care about.
Speaker 2: Like, because even when you talk about like hip hop in the sense that people like, oh we want that pewre shit, people don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: They want jammin as songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They just want to hear what they want to hear. That's it. It is what it is like. That's why there's research and call out and all that shit. Like you know, And I think two people got to understand that, like the what we call p ones in radio, which are like the die hard show up to the remote. Back in the day you'd have a bumper sticker on your car. Those people who are like p ones, they are not like at the end of the day. Those are for the most part, you want to have, not to get into the fucking geekiness radio talk, but you want a p one to try to get a meter. Right. If you're a radio station and a pe one of yours gets a meter, which is how they get ratings they're calculating them through PPM, then you're lit because they're gonna listen all fucking day. But usually those people who carry the meters, who determine the ratings, or who are p ones, they're not. They don't care about the double XL Freshman cover that just drops. No, they don't care.
Speaker 2: About like they don't care that, they don't care that Vince Staples wasn't on stage at the pop up.
Speaker 4: Nah, They're just like excited for the Kendrick moment and and Drake and and and and That's what's It's almost like this Kendrick and Drake thing pushed about this is about as good as it's gonna get in terms of real hip hop and bars and like, you know, the art form being like so commercially like working, like you know what I'm saying. Like these records are like Euphouria is a six minute record getting played in power rotation and it's not really a hook on it.
Speaker 3: There's not a hook anyway.
Speaker 4: Repeat, But I hate the way that you yeah, I mean that's I mean, but still but it's like like that's where we.
Speaker 1: All tried, yeah, saying like that's there, you know, there's a little something for you.
Speaker 4: But it's it's just you know, I think people got to understand that, Like when we do radio, it's different than when we do the YouTube stuff or when you do homegrown radio or when you do your shit, because it's like, bro, the radio shit is it's it's it's I don't want to use microL wave, but it kind of is like it's surface level listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just background that people put it on at work.
Speaker 4: And the people who are like die hard into the station for the most part, they're usually like mid thirties, like early forties, and they love their station that they grew up listening to and they don't understand how to get they don't want to get Spotify because you know what I mean. Like, so I think it's just a it's a different thing. Like when we do our radio show, me and James, it's like it's way different. The ship we run through the filter, like should we talk about this? Like, I don't know if they don't care about the you know, a thirty four year old females working two jobs and got four kids gives a fuck.
Speaker 2: About it, cares about that stuff. So it's hard. I mean, it's not hard as long as you know what you're doing. Pick good content, pick good spots. You made good radio on.
Speaker 4: What do you think about the Freshman cover that just dropped?
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 4: It said not like us with absolutely zero LA artists.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the biggest commercial because I've tried to see it through the I'm running a New York magazine because that's what I look at Double ex cell As, it's Vanessa and them are all in New York. Right to me, the biggest snub would have been three with old Baby in LA.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: See the thing is, and I don't care necessarily about the frist. I stop caring about a lot of that shit. Right, here's a barometer on what DJ head cares about. If you see DJ Head involved in it, then he cares. We got snubbed in Grammys over and over again. I want to join the Grammy Board. My people in the community. I want to join the Boys and Girls Club. I joined radio station because I care about radio, like our YouTube, podcast and content. I care about those things. If you don't see me involved in it, I really don't give a fuck. And the thing is the double XL Freshman cover is just an example of institutions not being cold truly tapped in, which that's not far that's not a far fetched idea. Most of these platforms and companies are not tapped in. They're not, I want to say, tapped in. They're not culturally aware of certain things and moments that actually matter.
Speaker 1: To the culture.
Speaker 2: If it's supposed to gauge cultural impact and so like when you have a three one oh baby who probably should have who did probably belong on the cover for sure, right then you take something like not like us and you put that and you make that the subheading for it.
Speaker 3: Not like us meant not like us in LA.
Speaker 1: Or to me, there's people in New York who just like, oh, let's use this, Yeah, this is a hot this is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they don't understand the cultural relevance or impact of what this thing is. And that has been my problem throughout the last two three months that everything's been going down, is you have to be culturally aware so you don't culturally play yourself. And that's that was my thing with the whole battle back and forth, for even with the Doubles, like a lot of things have cultural nuance that people don't understand, and if you don't understand that, you.
Speaker 1: Should just be like, hey, I don't get this, I don't get it. Hey, you know what I mean? I remember you during was it twenty twenty twenty twenty when everything was going down with George Floyd? You would call me, you would call Sautas, Hey, bro, I want to do something like how can I help? Like what I got to? What can I do?
Speaker 2: Those things matter because now it's like, Okay, if I don't know, let me tap a motherfucker in who knows?
Speaker 1: How can I be of service? How can I help this?
Speaker 2: This cover shows to me same thing everything else been showing me. Whether it's or shows, whether it's whatever, it's just you don't have people in the room who are either one confident boisterous enough, or who don't even have the platform to speak up and say, hey, we probably shouldn't do that, you know, I mean, you know what we shouldn't do.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: A half white, half black person and make reference to somebody who's culturally black and culturally potent, rich in culture, and.
Speaker 1: May say, hey, you're rapping like slaves. Who's in the room for that? Yeah, So I look at all those things. It's the same thing. It's not it's not to slight anybody or to diss anybody. It's just no one's in the room and has the authority or the player or the nuts to snu because sometimes people don't want input and so it doesn't then have to be nuts. It could be you don't empower this person enough to challenge you on this, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's funny. That's one of the things I tweeted. I was like, imagine getting discs for having your music having substance.
Speaker 3: Like what what are we doing? Like, No, that's real.
Speaker 4: I just thought, you know, it's funny because I posted the cover and I didn't even read it, not like us part I just put I didn't even see that. So no, I just posted it because you know, I got you know, OT's my boy and I'm happy for him. Man, big ext the plug and skill of baby like Dude there's the guys on there that really deserve to be on there, But like I was just like, there's nobody from LA, like the two names that you know. It was three one oh and zero and it was like, I know for a fact, I looked up on Spotify just to see monthly listeners and I was like I always got more monthly listeners and like half this cover, Like.
Speaker 2: Hey bro, my thing is again I always say this, and actually, you know, I'm not even gonna say that. I'm I'm not gonna rehash that point. I'll say this, what we heard is niggas don't like the West Coast, and then that's why with it, I'll push the line with it.
Speaker 3: That's yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like, you know what, dude, It's crazy because I always me and you would always have these conversations about like the bias that's in the industry.
Speaker 1: Which is why I'm over overtently biased, right.
Speaker 4: But it's funny because I used to always just be like, I don't know, man, like you might be wrong. But when I see like the way these guys just hate what's happening right now for no good reason other than the kids from LA, it feels like at least like the mall thing is super strange to me. Me like, just like it's just You're like, it's true. Motherfuckers really just don't fuck with La.
Speaker 1: And it's not even in LA. They don't fuck with the Bay either, the whole West coast. They don't fuck with Seattle. They don't fuck with like Arizona, they don't fuck with Nevada nothing. It's they don't fuck with Albuquerque.
Speaker 2: I know a fire ass artist from Albuquerque, don't I don't I know his song, I don't know his name, but he's fired from Albuquerque.
Speaker 4: New Mexico's crazy.
Speaker 2: The thing is, Bro, they just don't fuck with us, and that's okay, but at least say I don't fuck with you. That's why I respect people who are overtly racist, right because it's like.
Speaker 3: Hey, at least I know where I stand with you.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Don't be secretly racist.
Speaker 1: Don't be secretly racist, because that's Joe check.
Speaker 3: That's where systematic racism kicks it.
Speaker 2: That's where That's why I was That's why I was challenging during the during the back and forth, I'm like, bro, don't secretly why don't secretly give bootleg k of the record, and the record doesn't exist nowhere else.
Speaker 4: Put the record out right, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Like, let's let me let the world know how you feel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, plant your flag officially. Yeah, it's definitely interesting. When when because I know you and I were talking a bit about during the I talked to you the Friday night that it was probably my favorite night as a hip hop fan of my entire life, and that.
Speaker 1: Was that's because you're messy.
Speaker 4: I woke up in the morning and the Compton record had dropped, which was the final Hey man, are you sure? Are you sure? Later on that night, I'm driving to Arizona with my sister and my kid in the back seat, and then The Family Matters comes out, and I remember I listened to it and I think I called you before meet the Grahams came out, and I was like, Oh.
Speaker 3: He ain't got ship.
Speaker 4: He's just making shit up, Like because anybody who knows Dave and Kendrick and their dynamic, You're like, oh, you're really just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. And then like twenty minutes later, no, fifteen minutes, I'm refreshing my shit. What the fuck? When I first heard Meat the Grams Dog, I was screaming. I was like, I couldn't even believe it.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 3: And like it.
Speaker 4: It could have ended right there with no Not Like Us, and it would have just been like you suck the life out of this dude, man. But then was it Saturday. The next day Not Like Us comes out and it's a hit record, and I'm just like, I just broke because you know, I've been sending tweets because you know, I'm very I've been extremely.
Speaker 3: Critical with Drake for years.
Speaker 4: I'm a big push of Tea guy, huge Kendrick guy, and so I remember I've been I've been I've been tweeting like this, ain't this, ain't this, ain't what like After like that came out, This ain't this, ain't this, ain't meet me. I kept tweeting, Hey, I was tweeting shit without knowing anything. I was just tweeting boogeyman loading like just ship. I was just because I know, like this shit is different, and so when not Like That came out, I just felt like everybody could suck my dick, man, I told y'all. And by the way, man, all you fucking Drake beehive, weirdo ass bodass accounts. I did not know that there were grown men whose whole entire life revolved around leaving comments on Twitter. You fucking in sell fucks, stop playing Fortnite and beating your dick to fucking the motto the model is a fire record, great record. Shout out to might be the most culturally tapped in song he's ever done.
Speaker 1: That's not true, shout out to the bay culturally tapped in.
Speaker 4: And he went to the bay and mac Dre's mom in the video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, you mean, like from all okaygo what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, but I didn't know.
Speaker 4: But but I'm sure you've been dealing with these same comments.
Speaker 1: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I've been taking screenshots. I make a scrap book out of all of my slamers.
Speaker 4: Oh it's so crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm be getting slander for what two months too, And.
Speaker 4: I had everybody say I'm glazing.
Speaker 1: I just learned that one. Throughout the battle glazing.
Speaker 3: I pinned.
Speaker 4: I always pinned the most disrespectful ones. You pin them for a retweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just learned glazing. Like in the last two months. That was a good one. I didn't know what the fuck they were saying.
Speaker 3: Initially, apparently I'm Jay Glazer Maine.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm DJ Gibbshead, who glazes.
Speaker 3: Anyway. The whole time, I'm just you know, ship.
Speaker 2: The thing is, you know, it's funny about when you were dry. I think I remember when you called me. But beyond that, family matters drops. The video is out. I'm looking at it, like, okay, he shouted, he spends some money.
Speaker 4: Ain't even the right type of van, fuck it.
Speaker 2: Whatever his symbolism cool whatever, you know, I don't expect him to understand, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Maybe you couldn't get the van in time. Who knows. Maybe.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, yo, I'm watching it. I'm like, okay, he went to the restaurant. That's such a Drake thing to do.
Speaker 2: Then I'm looking at it and he sends the stuff about the Hoummies.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh yeah, he got nothing, nothing like that's crazy.
Speaker 4: The most memorable line that Drake said throughout this whole thing was about metro booming, shut your ass up and make some.
Speaker 2: Drums, And I'm just like wow. Then I thought it was a miss because.
Speaker 1: Well, again, you wouldn't know this if you're not up, if you're not culturally of that. But when someone directly is pressing your line, you dressed that person, not everybody who has said event. So I think you you segregated your attention span and now you've left yourself vulnerable.
Speaker 4: It was two records in a row that he addressed everybody and not just Kennon, and again not having people in the room who like, hey, you know what, that's not no, no, no, that's not the p It's funny because when he put out the last record that was like the White Flag, I called you again right away and you were like, it's over, it's over. I talked to Kendrick, it's over. But it's funny because I thought, well, at least he addressed him directly for a whole song, because he didn't do that prior to that, because it's like, what again, It's like, we know he's short, we know like he's a short guy, and he cares about his people, and uh, he wears a certain size.
Speaker 1: Shoe, and well, you know what's funny is when the initial.
Speaker 2: Again, I want to I want to shout out to Doc and Dave and and too because you know, it was a lot of shit going on, and you know, they empowered me. But at the same time it was still like I wasn't speaking for them.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't fully aware of everything that was going on until like later on. But when the push Ups this shit came out. Somebody told me that.
Speaker 1: He called the record push Ups because of what I said, because it wouldn't have a title. I remember, it was just a record.
Speaker 2: It it was just a song that Academics was playing the record or whatever, and he didn't put it out. It was just Academics was the only one in the world.
Speaker 4: With the record, and he the first version was like it was like a leak or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, cool.
Speaker 2: So I said what I said, like, you know about you posting pictures whatever, and then your push Ups record. And then somebody was like yo, you know, like oh, the next day I found out when when it would actually get put up.
Speaker 1: Somebody called me.
Speaker 2: No need to say all of that, but someone called me and said, yeah, you must have really said I pushed his button because he's putting the record out.
Speaker 1: I said, when he said thirty minutes, said say.
Speaker 4: Look because you said it's not on DSPs. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It claimed it, it wasn't on it. SoundCloud, it wasn't anywhere was the only person with the record. So I went on Twitter and I was like, Yo, the boy's putting the record out.
Speaker 1: It'd be up in thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: It was up thirty minutes later, push ups, and so I think that's when people were like, oh shit, you know, let me see like he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: And then you called the Camia Cabello.
Speaker 1: Thing shot that records, that record's coming out, but you called that The thing is bro And this is I'm gonna say this, because.
Speaker 4: What did you say about it? You pretty much said, don't hold up that young lady's record.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I had information about him holding up a record for Camilla Cabello, and I was like, yo, but the thing is it wasn't really I wasn't using Camilla as a pawn for Cloud or for anything like that. It was more like, bro, just because I'm running a fade with you, don't hold this girl career up.
Speaker 4: She needs this record. Let her get a record off. To be fair, though, if you're Drake and you just found Kendrick for doing songs with Maroon five and Taylor Swift. And in the middle of that conflict, you drop a Camia Cabello feature.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ, what do we talk?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: So in that same breath, by the way, he also danced to the Tailor Show. So in that same breath, why are you doing shit you're not proud of?
Speaker 4: You're right? Why even do it? Yeah? I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna do whatever I do. If I fuck up or whatever, I'm gonna own it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Hey, I fucked up. You know what I'm saying. Whatever, just cool.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that the record is fuck up, but I'm just saying, don't punish somebody else for some shit you got going on, like you got sometimes you gotta follo on your sword, right, Just let her put the record out, bro, like you shoot the video, go do.
Speaker 1: Let her do her outside of this shit. But I mean, it wasn't just her.
Speaker 2: The whole industry kind of shut down for like two weeks, like nobody's dropping nothing. Everybody get the fuck out the way. You know, you know what's gonna happen. And then you know, Dot took his time and cooked his food.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's interesting too because the double standard that was being held between to like that verse being released and how long it took Drake to put anything out compared to when push ups dropped and then the Euphoria release gap. It was like people were all of a sudden extremely forgetful that it took Drake like a month to reply to the like.
Speaker 2: That, but then fuck the month. He's been getting poked forever. They've been doing that ship forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for years.
Speaker 4: All the stuff, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that shit don't matter, bro. The thing is salute to him. Like I said, I've been saying this for the whole what two and a half months, three months? Just make your songs, right, Make your songs, bro, We're gonna play them. You're gonna play them. I'm gonna play them. We're gonna play the records he makes hits. Make your bobs, But don't play the culture game. You're gonna lose if you play the culture game. That's like, and one thing I will say this about I can say this about you. Actually, you're probably the only one that I know that out of the people that I'm thinking of in my head from people that like that are white, who who exists in the space. You can't play the culture game with somebody like me. You're gonna lose, you know what I mean, Because you don't you're not culturally potent in that way. And so all I've been saying to him is, bro, make your do your ship, do you do your records, cav do your podcast, but don't play the culture game because you're gonna get You're gonna get eviscerated. And it's not even gonna be it's not even gonna be fair. It's not even a fair fight. And then that's also why it was like all right, all right, he's got enough, you know what I mean? Like fuck it, you know, we got the number one record in the world, Like.
Speaker 4: I thought it was interesting. Like also the like bringing like saying Hyg's name on a record. It's like YG was at the pop out on stage and what looks to be in the music video.
Speaker 1: I don't have a comment on that, but.
Speaker 4: Have you heard that there's this this West Coast remix coming?
Speaker 1: I don't know nothing about nothing.
Speaker 3: Nice do you feel like?
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this head, because obviously you've been pushing the West Coast line so hard for so many years, right, how does the West not how do they make sure to properly take advantage of this current moment, because to me, it feels like the chance to take it back to ninety three, ninety four and like take the crown. Atlanta's had it for so long.
Speaker 2: Hit records shit, at the end of the day, the day go in shout out the glowrilla. We we just need records, and we have to go in with a consorted effort to create undeniable records.
Speaker 1: I think everybody goes in.
Speaker 2: It's not everybody, but a lot of people, not even just in LA but in hip hop.
Speaker 4: A lot of people go in to booth and just.
Speaker 3: Fuck around, punch in, punch out.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 2: I like that, and it's like, bro, no, that's not how the magic is made. Sometimes you can get away with that, but more more times than not, it's a collaborative effort. There's thought behind it, there's deep meaning. There's a lot of intention that goes into these hit records. And what good is the spotlight if you if you don't have nothing for it? And so I think right now, the initiative for everybody that I've been pushing, I've been on the phone for two weeks non stop all day.
Speaker 1: Put records out, hit records, hit records, work together, bring somebody in the studio. Who's gonna who's gonna contest.
Speaker 4: You, work out, maybe work outside of your comfort circle.
Speaker 1: Bro. All of that shit matters.
Speaker 2: And it's not just for La It's for the Bay, it's for Sacramento.
Speaker 1: It's fun, it's for San Diego, everybody.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 2: I think, I think also to what I noticed, and there's a lot of camaraderie. I just connected two of the homies today who hadn't worked together, Like, Hey, hook me up with so and so. Put them on both on FaceTime. A boom, all right, yea, I'm finish sing you something fin to send you someth let's jump on this whatever.
Speaker 1: So that's coming.
Speaker 2: And then you got you know why, Jesus announced just read up three is dropping. Mustard just announced his album You Got the Song with Travis Scott. Roddy has got a smash in the tuck. It's a lot of ship that's about to happen.
Speaker 4: Tie.
Speaker 2: I gotta have sould making making some he made, I gotta have sold making slaps.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, so I think, like.
Speaker 4: You said, like those guys you just mentioned, they gotta like now they gotta deliver. And then it's like the cream rises to the top, right, and then Kaylen can deliver, and then Zoe can deliver.
Speaker 2: And I just talked to Kaitlyn today and it was the same type of thing. And it's just like I got I've been talking the problem Jason Martin.
Speaker 4: Blast you know, Black Blast Ship's coming about about.
Speaker 1: You know, getting in with these younger dudes and helping them with their records.
Speaker 2: Because like, if we're being honest, like Jason Martin is one of the best to do it that's ever come out of out of this section from a song, from a song crafting perspective, he's one of the best. And so I need him to fuck with these dudes, and I need these dudes to listen to him.
Speaker 1: It's just what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's like like I think that at the end of the day, like understanding the moment too is important, Like you got to understand so that way, you know, like I can't just go to the studio and just do what I've been.
Speaker 1: Doing, No, and you can't.
Speaker 2: Your business has to be right, right, the homies can't be be your publisher, Like, what do you what does he know about publish?
Speaker 4: Shout out to three one Old Baby two, who obviously has had a smash record before this, and uh, the new record.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, But I'm just saying, like, yo, get your business together and if you don't call me right, I can help you with that.
Speaker 4: What do you think about There was some icon that said that he thought there was a lack of Mexican representation on stage. I like to who icon la Icon? He's a podcast podcaster. But I also like to point out Coyote. Shout to the boys from Coyote. They they said, I love Coyote.
Speaker 2: Their fucking Coyote is literally I think Kyrie's my favorite Latin artists.
Speaker 4: They're killing it. But they had said that the one person who actually deserved to be up there was up there.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, he got hits, They got the records man so much respect.
Speaker 2: Like to be honest, like, I don't even know if there's anybody on the Latin side that I respect more than Coyote from a skills standpoint and also from a mentality standpoint.
Speaker 4: They want to earn everything. They want to earn it all and they're doing everything the right.
Speaker 3: Way, and I just I just respect them dudes.
Speaker 2: They bet on themselves, like it's to me, those dudes are the epitome of what people should be looking at if you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna do it yourself.
Speaker 2: I agree and so but yeah to what they said, I don't care about that like that. To me, it's just a lot of people speaking out of ignorance and don't and don't understand. I mean, and the meaning behind that is misconstrued. But whatever. To me, I don't get I'm no longer. I'm fucking forty now, I don't. I'm not gonna argue with nobody on the internet. I'm not gonna fight nobody. Hey, if you want to fight me, you got it, you won you mean say it on camera? You wan like, I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't give a fuck about it. I paid way too much money in taxes, so I'm just like, I don't got time for that ship. I mean, So I'm not finna be arguing with people about nothing. Whatever it is, you right, you want, and if you want to have a conversation, we have a conversation.
Speaker 1: I'll offer some authenticity to you. But I'm not about to go around the.
Speaker 2: World trying to correct everybody on their miss their misconceptions of what it is.
Speaker 4: I just had another thought on my head. We need a OT Genesis smash right now. We need one. We need one right now. Where's ot at man?
Speaker 1: Ot is on tour.
Speaker 4: You gotta put that tequila down.
Speaker 2: Ot Ot is on the road too. I think he I don't know where he was going to.
Speaker 4: That was. You know what's funny is until like write this moment, I was like, oh shit, ot should have came out.
Speaker 2: I thought about that too, but it's like, you can't get it because I remember people like man Long Beach. I'm like, bro, if you have four hours and that's gonna eat up a good hour and a half.
Speaker 4: Of that Snoop was on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got two and a half hours from start to finish to curate and how do you You can't do that.
Speaker 3: It's just there's just not enough time.
Speaker 1: It's logistically impossible.
Speaker 2: Plus changeover plus and a lot of people don't understand how shows work. You have to do changeover, you have to do line switching, like they can't just oh, you have to close your laptop and bring the next djil It don't work like that. And so anyway, long story short, we need ol T record. I know Joe's Joe just dropped or he is dropping like it's some ship coming. I want to be honest. I'm waiting for a new Plow record.
Speaker 3: Him and a cool gen are about to drop movie too.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting on a new Plow record. Bro.
Speaker 2: I need Plow to come in and produce a lot of these records for these dudes.
Speaker 4: They need some beats.
Speaker 1: I need Plow to come in produce.
Speaker 2: And I want to see I want to see some cross some cross collaboration from other people. Like there's this dude I forgot his name, whishu you remember his name? Out of Sacramento.
Speaker 1: He's fucking dope.
Speaker 3: Uh deep about the bag?
Speaker 1: No, I mean everybody, it's another guy that's just coming up.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: I sent him a book. But anyway, I want to see cross collaborations. I want to see people doing secular non secular music. I know you atheists, but Miles Minnick is fucking fire.
Speaker 3: I know I saw you.
Speaker 1: I had never heard of him until you posted that he was at the Miles.
Speaker 3: Where is he from.
Speaker 1: He's from the Bay okay, so but he's a Christian rapper. He's a Christian rapper and it's not what you think.
Speaker 3: But it's not like overly like.
Speaker 1: It's imagine imagine plow in church. Mm hm oh it's cracking. Listen, Oh it's cracking. It's cracking.
Speaker 2: Shout to Miles minic Bro, him and dars Bro like that ship different. So it's like a lot of Russells Zold Simon. He just dropped stump, which is gonna be to me, it's gonna be a slow burn, but it's gonna be one of.
Speaker 1: Them records that's gonna go video. Yeah, it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: And then, like I think, based on what I haven't heard, I'm I'm supposed to put up on pull up on r J. But I know he got some ship that he about to drop to because he got a big shot at the Palladium.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think RJ is the best performer in l A.
Speaker 1: I could, I could see it.
Speaker 4: I just I don't think anybody just when RJ hits the stage, Bro, it's a suspected. It's just different. Like when he bro, I knew he was in I knew. I knew because I know how much you love RJ, so I just knew he was coming. I was like, I can't wait for RJ to hit that motherfucker. He's gonna turn this bitch off. Yeah, but yeah, shout out to RJ. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, RJ is like he's special.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I think we're in a good place. Like RJ got a big show at the Palladium coming up, and I think that's gonna be career defining for him if he does it right. Yeah, I think, uhause you got to remember all this, like Nipsey did his Palladium show, the Victory Lap show, and then Roddy did his Palladium show, Blast did his Dom did his plate. Like I think that Palladium show kind of sets everybody up.
Speaker 4: It's always like a you know, it's like something you check off. It's like it goes Roxy. Okay, I got my Roxy show. The palladiums like you said, like the nip one, the Roddy one. Like I remember the first time Roddy did Pladium and he was playing the keys. That was like so iconic. It's like, oh shit is different now different?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Blast did two nights in a row. It's crazy. Dolo that shit crazy. So it's like a lot of these dudes like Blast is coming too. You know, I like him fucking fade, I'm sure on the way, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like I like them fucking with different types of music too, for sure. I really, to be honest, I really wish I don't know what the politic is, but I really wish we could do some more black and brown shit.
Speaker 1: I really want that.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean r J and Left he did a dope record.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm not saying I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about across the board, about like southern California, northern California.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like that shit will be fire.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: You know what Jude, that is?
Speaker 2: You know what I really want to hear. I want to hear I want to hear Coyote on some plo shit.
Speaker 4: That would be crazy.
Speaker 1: Sheould be crazy, Bro, them rapping ass foods on some plow ship, it might go crazy. I want to hear Lefty gun play on some plow ship. I agree, I think there's we need that, bro. Like, Like the best the best.
Speaker 2: Run we had was when Mustard was running during mustards whole crazy run and then during that La to the base shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think like, when you think about that that period there was Mustard, Legua Stars and then Plow and it was just like b K yep HBK Gang and.
Speaker 1: It was different.
Speaker 2: The energy was up, and I think like and also and I want, you know, I want to make sure this is conveyed. Stop making slow ass music. Nobody wants to hear that dreary ass slow ass shit.
Speaker 4: No more.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm done with that, so go get with your producers, get with your engineers, make your ship ninety ninety bpm and up I get. I'll give you eighty five. Eighty five bpm is the slowest record I'm playing moving forward.
Speaker 1: So it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Are there any female m seas in La that? Because it yo the Couzzos, I know they performed. The Couzzos got energy right. That shit was dope.
Speaker 2: They got so much energy, and I was I love that for them because they they don't get that look like that, and I loved I love seeing these.
Speaker 1: The Couzzos up there. I know, Age, you got some shit coming. There's this girl.
Speaker 2: I wish I could remember her name, but she hard. She's a dope ass rapper from here.
Speaker 4: Fuck. I still feel like we need like the face of like the female face in LA is up for grabs. It is up for grabs, yeah, because right now I think, like on like a California, I'm like, you know what, it isn't up for grabs. Technically it's Doja Cat. Well, yeah, man, Doja Cat.
Speaker 1: I count Doja Cat like people count Kendrick.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But she's yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: She's such a brilliant MC, brilliant artist.
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember, what's crazy.
Speaker 2: I remember doing a two Dough Boys event in two thousand, Like fucking what year.
Speaker 3: Was that two Dope Boy shout out to Shake and.
Speaker 1: Mack twenty twelve or something like.
Speaker 4: That about right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was DJing a two Dope Boys event and I'm packing my like Mecca jumps on the turntable, so I'm done. So I'm like I'm about to go, and I'm walking out the door of my bag and this girl jumps in front of me. She got on these whiskers and shit, I'm like what the fuck. And she's like, hey, I'm like, what's up. She's like I'm like, she's like, I'm Dojah. I'm like what. She's like, what's your name, I said, I'm DJ. She was like, well, I'm Doja Cat. I said, what the fuck is a Doja Cat? She said, she said that's my name. I'm like, okay, what's so nice to me. She's like, yeah, it's nice to meet you. I'm about to go rap and she just she's a rappers bro. She's like, she was like a two dope this I'm saying, she's like a real head. And you would understand this because you've been here out here long enough. This event was in like the industrial warehouse downtown, like on the backside of the Third Street Bridge, like crazy, super underground, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two Dope Boys was like definitely the.
Speaker 2: First class and furious type shit, you know what I mean, Like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 1: Just this white girl in there just and she was like wrapping her.
Speaker 4: Ass off because Doojah white or she mixed. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think she's mixed, right, Oh, she's mixed.
Speaker 1: The only thing was she looked she looked like a white girl at that time.
Speaker 4: I want I.
Speaker 3: Want Dojah to like just bang l a a little more.
Speaker 1: She I mean, the thing is Dojah is I.
Speaker 4: Don't mean bang like on some gang shit. But just like you know, obviously her song is called the Gray Hills, and she you know she But I just I feel like this moment that's happening right now, like somehow she needed to acknowledge it, be a part of it, be on the side of this.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like I just I don't think she needs to do that.
Speaker 3: She don't need to do nothing.
Speaker 1: She's her own thing for sure.
Speaker 2: What I would like is for Djah to participate on a level that it's beneficial to the city, you know what I mean, Like we always talk about like Dot participated and you see the ramifications of that, you know, I mean.
Speaker 3: She's from the valley.
Speaker 4: The Valley. Yeah. Well it's funny too because like you and I had always kind of like I wouldn't say butt heads, but we're on different sides of the Tyler the Creator fandom. Yeah, I've always I mean, I apologize to you, no I saw you. I saw you, But like you know, I've been wucking with him since you know, the Odd Future Wolfgang.
Speaker 3: But you're very when.
Speaker 4: You start talking about crazy shit and the devil and all the wild shit that Tyler used to talk about when he was an Odd Future Wolfgang kill him all and all that shit. It just wasn't for you log off, Yeah, for sure. And but you know, there'd always kind of been like you know these like separate LA's on the hip hop side where you would like look at like.
Speaker 1: I think it's like four different LA's.
Speaker 4: There's like the guys like the Internet and Tyler and and then there'd be the RJ's and and the more you know, street centric sides where politics are very prevalent in the imagery and the music. Then they would you say, like the Fairfax kind of wave, which was odd future casey Veggie's.
Speaker 1: Dom Dom well Down's from Lamart Park.
Speaker 2: But same, So what are the other two then? So I would look at it, it's like you got you got like the Lamart Park. Actually I would say it's three. I would say it's the street guys. You got the hipster crowd, which is that like.
Speaker 1: Tyler all that kind of shit, and then you have.
Speaker 2: The other and the other would be like a Doja cat right, she don't really fit into would you.
Speaker 3: Consider look as the other?
Speaker 1: Nah that is from Compton for real?
Speaker 4: No, No, I know, but I'm saying like in terms of like that because I always like, when I think.
Speaker 1: You're looking at it as a sound thing, trick in the imagery thing, don't look at.
Speaker 4: It like that.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the trick. That's how he got him right.
Speaker 2: You have to look at it like Dot has always made references in his music that ties him to the community he comes from, for sure. Same thing Roddy Roddy O Roddy sounds like he's from the South. Roddy wear Dicky.
Speaker 1: Suit on on the Grammy Awards and says cousin his music, right, you know, I mean they're in twenty twenty. Right culture.
Speaker 2: Culture is prevalent in both of those people, regardless of what the sec what it is that you're hearing.
Speaker 1: I look at it.
Speaker 2: Differently because doja you can look at her shit and not know where the fuck she's from. Fact she's She's culturally ambiguous, which works for her. She's from here. We claim her right one hundred percent. Tyler's from here, we claim him one hundred percent. But you can look at their art and not know where they're from. That's true, you get what I'm saying. So, and even Tyler it has culture in his music for sure, the way he dances and shit.
Speaker 4: Tyler's an a nigga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I look at it differently just because the way Doja is. She became a pop star immediately, and then she had to remind you niggas that she could.
Speaker 1: Rap, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: This last album she had to tell.
Speaker 1: Y'all got Doljah fucked up for sure, you know what I mean, like dog.
Speaker 4: You can rap.
Speaker 3: I think she's honestly, yeah.
Speaker 1: Those just fucking over a lot of girls, and from a rat perspective, definitely keep it a lot of men too. I was about to say, to keep it a buck. She those is kind of fucking over a lot of you do for sure.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you Roddy obviously you've you know, Roddy's somebody who's one of my favorite artists. You know, please excuse me for being anti social. I remember he gave us that title where We're at We're at a uh and uh. You know, I feel like he's an introvert and I feel like the pandemic. I'm not sure the pandemic affected somebody more than maybe the trajectory that Roddy was on in terms of him not necessarily being able to get in that full festival season when the Box was the number one song in the world, and you know, think about it. December twenty nineteen is when the album drops. Yeah, and in March twenty twenty is when we shut down.
Speaker 1: Everything done.
Speaker 4: And you know, I know there was multiple versions of his second album, and you know, I know that you've been really close with Roddy and helping him in the studio and stuff, and just like, you know, it was just it feels good to see. I feel like Roddy's backing is like in is bag for real, like like confidence.
Speaker 2: Wise, confidence wise, yes, but Roddy had to you got to think. It's like I don't want to equate him like this. They're going to probably not like this on the internet. But it's kind of like when I talk to my big homies about Mike Tyson and you take a nineteen twenty year old and you give him ten million or twenty million dollars or whatever it is, it's like here, it's like, yo, I'm nineteen, right, he won.
Speaker 1: Roddy was rich when he was. Roddy was really.
Speaker 2: Rich at twenty one years old, crazy like in real life rich, not like small rich rich, big rich. Yeah, at twenty one, So it's like, what were you doing at twenty one years old?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So I always think, I always people I want people to just visualize that, right, And I don't want to give like a number. But let's say let's say you're twenty one years old, somebody gives you twenty million dollars.
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: What do you do? Do you do?
Speaker 2: You be like, you know what, I need to get focused and make my next album, right, I need to get in here and take this shit. You're like, yo, then you got to deal with family. You gotta do with the homies, you gotta do with everything coming at your mile a minute. So when I've had these conversations with him, he just like I just talked to him.
Speaker 1: Actually, he called me yesterday.
Speaker 2: We talked about half an hour yesterday and he was just saying, like how much he appreciates our conversations.
Speaker 4: And he's grown as a man.
Speaker 2: You know, at this point, he's a father, right, he's you know, you had your kid young, you know what I mean, eighteen, So he's a dad now and he's like learning how to be a man, and he's dealing with the homies. And he's dealing with politics on a different level where he got all of these white people handling his business affairs. He got businesses in Miami, he got businesses over here. He has businesses that are making a lot of money every year, right that are outside of music.
Speaker 4: People you don't even like, we don't even know about it.
Speaker 1: You don't even know about these businesses.
Speaker 2: And so I think his mentality is just different at this point, which translates into the music. And that's what people are getting right now. Like I told him a couple of years ago, like you gotta let these people in. You gotta let people in. It's only so long you could do the jewelry and the cars and shit like that. People want to know who the fuck you are. People want to know what you stand on where you stand, you know what I mean? Like that's that's been a big criticism with with Drake for all these years. We don't know where he stands on anything. You don't know how he feels about Black lives matter. You don't know how he feels. You don't know what shit, You don't know.
Speaker 4: How That's what I've been saying for years. You don't know how he feels about Trump. He doesn't have an opinion on shit, on nothing except for these bitches.
Speaker 2: And so my point is exactly. And so my point is I was telling Roddy like, you gotta let us in. I know, but they don't know. And so I think he did that with Survivor's remorse, like he's phenomenal. Like I'm like, oh, cause he didn't even let me see the video until like we were on the phone at four in the morning before it drops, and he sent me the video maybe like I don't know, four hours before it came out of it came about like six am or whatever, I mean something like that, and he sent me the link. We were on the phone because he was blowing my phone and it was like it was early as fuck, like four.
Speaker 1: In the morning and some shit. I'm like, bro, what's up. Everything good? I thought something happened. He's like, yeah, man, I'm just you know, you know, like we were having a private conversation, but he sent me the video. I'm like, I called him right back. This is what the fuck I've been talking about. When you listen to the song, it's cool, it's a good song. When you watch the video, you're like, oh shit, yeah, you know what I mean. It's a different impact, and to me that was important for him specifically. We know where Kendricks from, we know where he's staying up, we know you could pretty much extrapulate what he's on.
Speaker 4: Well, I think too, like feed the Streets early Roddy, it was very like.
Speaker 2: This is where he's from, this where Yeah, you guys, you don't know how he feels, right, We don't know what he thinks, right. You know where he's from, and the imagery is there. You can see his homies in the project, but you don't know what's on his mind, right. And I always try to explain the artists. You have to figure out a way to translate that to people who love your music, even in order to garner new fans, because even when we do interviews, we don't talk about just the album. I want to talk to you about fatherhood. I want to talk to you about like when we had an offset and or whoever come in.
Speaker 1: Let's talk to you.
Speaker 2: About being a dad, because if I don't like your fucking album, I might connect to you as being a dad.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It might not be about the music.
Speaker 4: It might be about a lot of people nowadays, like they become fans of artists before they hear the music. Like I have so many people, y'all. I love Mexicano Tea man. I saw him on your podcast, I saw him on Joe Rogan, and I saw him on Homegrown, and then they go to the music, and then they go to the music.
Speaker 2: And so I think with Roddy, that's where he's at now. He's he's man enough, and he's and he's being transparent enough to allow the public into his life. And that's why you see like him having his kid and or you see and.
Speaker 4: He's like one of the best songmakers of the last I don't even know, Like I know people didn't like a second second album, but there's a lot to love on that album.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I just feel.
Speaker 2: I just realized I don't remember who I was songing to. But like Roddy makes Roddy makes jamming ballads.
Speaker 4: That's fair. And I was like, damn, late at night, I never thought about it like that.
Speaker 2: But he makes jam and ass ballads and he makes ballots that are palatable in this in this climate, and I was like, damn, I never.
Speaker 3: Thought it real.
Speaker 4: For people who don't know it was said that doctor Dre was not too keen of you and your criticism of the Compton album. Hm, did you get to see Dre I.
Speaker 3: Stayed out his way, he stayed out of his way?
Speaker 1: Yeah I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the time of the place. I want to have a I would love to have a conversation with you.
Speaker 4: How important do you think doctor Dre and Snoop are to this moment?
Speaker 1: It's intermountable. Yeah, you don't get none of it Without Snoop and Dre, you don't get I'm back, let me back up.
Speaker 4: You got a new dog Pen album that just came out, Death rows.
Speaker 1: Man Shot Out to the Death the dog Pound album. Bro.
Speaker 2: I was so relieved to hear that because it wasn't it was people expected. But it starts slowly turning into not with people like that DJ Premiere record was crazy. Sure, like people think like corrupt is one of the Corrupt is like a really great MC godlevel MC bro for sure, And people got corrupt fucked up. They got dass fucked up too, but corrupt it's different. So I was I'd love to see that. But let me back up. Let's take Snoop out of it. You don't get none of this ship without Doctor Dre. For sure, nothing nothing moves without doctor Dre. You don't get n w A, you don't get easy, you don't get nothing.
Speaker 1: What uh death Road? Nothing. And so the biggest hip hop tree ever, let's.
Speaker 2: Take, let's take, let's go ahead and remove Snoop and it's it's all Rose Leader Dre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor Dre's a fucking genius.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just hope that this moment also motivates them to to Obviously, Snoop is active, you know.
Speaker 2: Snoop It I love Snoop because Snoop participates in the Coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, him and Quicker on tour right now in Canada, I think. But in terms of like you know, Dre, it's like, shit, man, you were in the Houdini video. You just puffed up on stage with Kendrick.
Speaker 1: By the way, I like that Eminem song.
Speaker 4: Yes you and a lot of fucking dudes who look like me. They're fucking post forty.
Speaker 3: That song sucks.
Speaker 4: I like it. I mean, you know what, No, no, let me let's put out worse songs.
Speaker 1: I like the video.
Speaker 3: I like the Yo. So the problem that I had with.
Speaker 1: Let me let me let me back up. I love the video.
Speaker 4: The problem I had with the song is I heard it on its own about the video.
Speaker 3: And so when you when you just listen to it, and then when I saw.
Speaker 4: The video, it's like, oh, I get it. It was like, oh this this old version of him came through the portal. I get it. And and honestly, it is a catchy ass hook. It is a catchy hook, and he's he's wrapping his ass off on the song it is. I hope that this, you know, back in the day, Eminem used to set up every album with my name is or just Lose It or one of these goofy singles, And I hope that this means we're gonna get an amazing body of work from Eminem, because I actually like the life. Do you remember when you and I were in the studio and the Eminem fucking trackless dropped and I don't fucking I just wanted to break everything because I was just so to bro. Eminem had a decade of just putting out less than favorable music in my humble opinion, but music to be murdered by was great.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I wouldn't. I haven't been a fan of none of the Eminem stuff.
Speaker 4: The last album was good. Music to be Murdered By was actually like fucking great.
Speaker 2: No, No, Eminem was an elite MC for sure. I wasn't a fan of the music, but like.
Speaker 4: That Revival album is one of the worst album since I released.
Speaker 1: I would love to get a steap peek of this new album.
Speaker 4: Hear me too, man, hopefully, you know, I just want everybody to be inspired to drop, like okay cool, you know, like shots to muggs.
Speaker 3: Mugs been working like low.
Speaker 4: Key with like TF and Jay Worthy and and you know, shit, let's do a fucking cybercill album. Let's fucking you know. We just got the DJ Quick and Jason Martin album. There's there's people motherfuckers are working. Yeah. I like.
Speaker 1: I like the fact that I like that.
Speaker 2: It's also embrasive too, because there was a whole time period where hip hop is as an age as an age cap and you have to get out the way.
Speaker 1: But now it's like nah, bro, and.
Speaker 4: Even like the you know, on the Mexican side, like I feel like Mexican hip hop in LA has never been stronger. Like it's great right now. You know, we talked about coyote lefties, you know, for for how do you feel about lefty lefties? Makes no music and.
Speaker 2: Now it's a market for everything. I think I want to see, Like, hey, so I want to see pace. I want to see the ogs really really embrace the new producers. I think that's going to make a world of difference, sure, because that's one thing that I do give to the East Coast and even the South. I guess they do the same thing.
Speaker 1: You'll you you will hear.
Speaker 4: You know, like.
Speaker 2: Fifty cent work with a new producer all the time, you know what I mean, Like you'll see that that that's a thing that's not really a thing out here.
Speaker 4: Like also, though I wouldn't mind the young kids working with.
Speaker 2: Like battle Cat or like, I want the same thing too. But at the same.
Speaker 4: Time, because I think Desi Hollow has done a really good job of being he's from Ocean Side, but he's making classic West Coast music and it's like working for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got dudes like Doggy Style, like right like he like all these different people.
Speaker 2: I would love to see just the blending of it because it's only going to make everybody better.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 2: I need my guy mars. I need him to do his part. I need him to get in with LOWD of grade. I need these things to happen in order for the progression of.
Speaker 3: Shots A big hit shots to hit Boy two.
Speaker 1: Big hit Big Hit is a prime example. What the fuck I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: There's a there's they got four songs, big hit got I think like four songs.
Speaker 3: With m crazy, big hits crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like bro like he's he got out of prison and got to work, got cracking, got it cracking.
Speaker 3: Kendrick album coming.
Speaker 1: I guess so I share woul Hope so right? I mean, I don't know you tell me.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm assume so you in the group chat, right, I'm not in the group chat that Cherry.
Speaker 1: I'm not in no group chat. I'm in a group chat with you.
Speaker 4: Whatever number I have for Dave Free has been green bubbles for like six years.
Speaker 2: Nah shout out to Dave Man Like again, I wouldn't be surprised if we got something soon, But I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's not me. It also was Nope.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this hed, how dope was it to see? Because it felt like this moment pushed the TD shit together. I'm not saying that it was like fractured, but you know, Kendrick left did the pg lang thing. But this moment to see everybody back together and say, you know what, I know. I might not be on the label no more, but this is where it started.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up because this brings me back to what we started with, and that's culture. Cultural nuance matters, relationships matter. There's never been a fracture in that way. It's just a we want to see the homie do his own thing.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Now, this is where culture matters. Let's say there is a thing. There wasn't, but let's say there is a thing. Let's say let's say that. Let's say that DOT doesn't fuck with TD and vice versa. Right, top don't fuck with dot. Let's say that hypothetically speaking, right, if you're an outsider, you can't come over here and pick on that.
Speaker 4: We can pick on that, we can, but you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: That's what people don't understand about cultural nuance and where and how and where we come from. If I have a brother and he special needs, I can make fun of my brother.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't make fun of my little brother.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: That's why culture matters, and that's why being authentically from those things matter, because if you don't, then you violate said things, and now you get violated.
Speaker 4: And then you look stupid, then you look crazy. Yeah, and now you're jow Rule, but is much more famous. I like Jiu hey man, I liked the New York im from New York mes Maris. All that shit was cool, but just never was the same again, was it? Anyway?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have Jirou produce my festival, but I fuck with ji for sure.
Speaker 4: I love jaw yeah, you know, but these things weren't the same after back then, and I smelled pussy, you know, all that good stuff. Anyway, head, I appreciate you pulling up. I'm about to piss my pants. Effective immediately Sundays.
Speaker 1: On Serious I'm Serious Scent hip Hop Nation, but.
Speaker 3: Five pm Pacific time.
Speaker 1: Five. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can also find effective immediately, effective immediately on the YouTube podcast all that Homegrown.
Speaker 1: Radio still going, Homegrown is still going?
Speaker 4: Are you gonna put out any I feel like now you got to put an album out. You've always talked about it.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned.
Speaker 4: DJ had album on the way that was to look at Sallas DJ head album on the way. A lots going on man, and then oh we did you know this whole time we didn't even talk about your show with the Elliot Wilson and Joe.
Speaker 1: The bigger picture makes you tap into the bigger picture.
Speaker 4: Elliott Wilson, I appreciate you holding the Gold accountable for his fucking thirty year long bias against you know everything that's that's not Drake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Drake han't been around for thirty years.
Speaker 4: No, but I mean not even that, Just like just the East coast bias that we always are.
Speaker 1: Talking about, he's West Coast Wilson.
Speaker 3: Now now he's West coast Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Elliott Wilson, man, go get a bar to the bigger picture. Hip hop d X up rocks. Shout to the family over there. We're building something real special.
Speaker 4: I saw your conversation and they were saying, is it crazy not to consider Kendrick top ten? I think it's insane. No, no, no, no, not to consider him top ten. I'm saying number one is either j Z or Kendrick Lamar, And that's it.
Speaker 1: That's the conversation.
Speaker 4: And if you don't like that, suck some of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't.
Speaker 4: Understand creature on your fucking podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why that's even a conversation.
Speaker 4: Literally, it's Kendrick.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even on the show. On the show docket. I'm like, why are you even talking about this?
Speaker 4: I had him, I had him at about five, but I'm like, okay, he dismantled a whole generation's goat whatever and never was Michael.
Speaker 1: I don't have a comment on that.
Speaker 4: But just just surgically picked him apart, like, oh man, it was just rough. It was like, you know, the Clippers of the nineties going against like the Lakers of the eighties or something like. It was just it was like Michael Oli Kandy, he turns Drake into Michael Olowa Kandi bro. You know what I'm saying. Like it's a basketball reference and not a lot of people are gonna get number one overall.
Speaker 3: Pick went to the Clippers, big old.
Speaker 4: But Kwanmie Brown is ass right, you know, Kobe to Kwame Right anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got a question for you, rap. So you do radio every day?
Speaker 2: We can't curse on the radio, correct, Like we can't say fuck.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So if you know us, if you're playing a song on.
Speaker 2: The radio and the word fuck is coming up, and you know it's coming up, you have you've said it in your mind, like this word is coming up, so I have to take that out right right, Okay, So the same thing will be applied to the in word. If you know the in word is coming up, then you've said it in your brain to mute it out loud. Does that make sense? Yeah, see that's what I thought. Jeremy Heck doesn't think. So he thinks that he can mute inwards in.
Speaker 1: His head, so he says it out of his mouth.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't say it at all, but he said that he can't mute. He said that he doesn't say it at all, even in his break he's lying.
Speaker 4: That's what I said.
Speaker 2: You have to say the in word in your mind in order to stop yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, while I'm rapping songs, I definitely self edit.
Speaker 1: But like you have to say the word in your mind, the inwards.
Speaker 4: Flying in my head. I'll tell you what you're not. You're not gonna tell me when when Trinidad James allgoed, everything is on the nd word ain't flying in my head, like what are we talking about? Hey, tell his Canadian ass stop being so soft and stand on business. He's like, no, no, no, you don't understand. Flying around, he's like, you know, you don't understand. It's just a it's just a negative in my head. My head doesn't compute the word. I'm so whoa, I'm so woe. I'm the head. It doesn't even know.
Speaker 1: Don't work like that.
Speaker 4: That's how it works. Djhad, thank you brother, West Coast Boom