Speaker 1: Donald Donald, If you're not recording, I am going to squeeze your balls.
Speaker 2: Well I've been recording since for like three minutes in seventeen seconds, so there can be no ball squeeze. Here we go, Hello, Hello everyone, three wait, three two. Here's some stories.
Speaker 3: About show we made about a bunch of I said, he's a story, so YadA.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 1: Here Hello everyone. My name is Zach Braff.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Tonal Faison and.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it. But guess what, guys, We're gonna do a Scrubs rewatch podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what we're doing. Dude, your voice changed completely all of a sudden. We were all talking normal. I know my podcast started. We're like, hey everyone, it is I.
Speaker 1: I got nervous and I I felt like I should sound like a radio broadcaster. But no, okay, I'm back to me.
Speaker 2: There we go. This is pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, I'm very excited that we've been talking about this for a long time. We've been trying to figure it out. I've been teasing social media, as have you been.
Speaker 2: You've been teasing social media a little bit more than I have.
Speaker 1: But I know because I wanted to get people titillated. Donald, I wanted to titillate the masses.
Speaker 2: Well, let's thank iHeartRadio first of all for putting this and helping us insult.
Speaker 1: We had to figure out who to do it, and we found a perfect partner with iHeart, and we want to thank them. And also we want to thank the fans across the universe, because I just think it'd be crazy for us not to start with saying we wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the just incredibly loyal, amazing fan base we have around the earth, right.
Speaker 2: Donal, thank you very much, all of you who watched the show and who are listening to this podcast right now. Wow, we appreciate you so much. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I mean, this has been so many years of love for this show. And you know it's funny. I'm sure Donald, you have this experience too, where people come up to the street like I'm sure this is so annoying, but I just want to say I love the show, and I'm like, I'm always like, it's not annoying. Are you kidding me? That's like the best comment you can give us.
Speaker 2: So well, it's annoying when you're eating food. Yeah, maybe eating food and somebody comes up to you and they're like, sorry to bother you. You know, at first, why are you saying sorry to bother you? You're not sorry to bother me. You meant to bother me at that moment, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, just guys, if you're going to see Donald in public, don't do it while he's eating.
Speaker 2: Maybe just or with my kids. I don't play that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right, we'll just wait outside the restaurant for him in a dark in a dark alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how I prefer people to approach me, in a dark galley.
Speaker 1: I also, my only request is not online at the pharmacy because I'm usually sick and I don't want to. I once had a guy ask me to sign his box of condoms at a pharmacy, and uh, I just no. I was like, dude, this is weird. I don't want to sign it. Anyway. We've already digressed. We love our fans, and we're so glad you're listening. So the rough plan is that we're just gonna talk through episodes of Scrubs. We're gonna start with with season one. Obviously, Today we're gonna talk about the pilot, and we're going to just kind of tell stories and go through it scene by scene and just kind of tell anecdotes and stuff, and then eventually want to have guests on we're going to Today we're going to take a very first fan question, which is thrilling. Joelle figured out how to do that. She's amazing.
Speaker 2: We're really excited about this. We should start. Do you remember the name of the pilot? What the first episode was?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Wait, I just wanted to tell them one more thing, So we were gonna do this in person, but then, of course, because of this COVID insanity, the good people of iHeart have figured out a way for a donalin Us to do it remotely. So we're he's we're looking at each other over zoom, and he's in his closet, which is freaking hilarious because I guess that's what the only place you could hide from your kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, they're downstairs. We put on Captain underpants so they'll be quiet for a bit. But if you hear someone yelling or screaming, it's probably going to be my son Rocco or my daughter Wilder.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take a picture of this to post on the interwebs because it's very adorable.
Speaker 2: Right, well, let me get my let me get a fresh pose.
Speaker 1: Then, oh my god, you're so cute.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: So Donald has children and a wife and everyone's in quarantine. So he's in his closet recording and we're looking at each other. So we're gonna do it like this, and for the foreseeable future, every week we'll be coming to you talking about the next episode of the show, and we'll hope that you'll watch it along with us, because that's kind of the idea if you if you watch that episode and then we'll shoot the shit about that episode. I just watched it. I got very nostalgic. Did you did you feel nostalgia?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just how young we were.
Speaker 1: First of all, Oh, we were so young, so young. I didn't remember how young I was.
Speaker 2: I was twenty six at the time and I'm forty five turning forty six this year, and it was that was twenty years ago. So you know, watching the pilot for the first time, I really felt like it was brand new. Like I remembered some things, but other things I was like I don't remember any of this, you know. I remember certain poses that John C McGinley made, like when he put his hand on the back of his head and stuff like that. I remember being like, Wow, that's interesting that he chose to do that right now, And as the show goes on, it became his doctor Cox stuff. But while we while watching it for the first time, I was like, Oh my god, this is where it all originated. This is where, this is where this came from.
Speaker 1: There were so many moments I had while watching it too, where I was like thinking, first of all, we can't start off even even five minutes of this without talking about Bill Lawrence, who is the creator of the show, the reason we're all here talking. And I was just amazed watching it how much Bill got it it's like twenty three minutes long, and how much he was able how much storytelling and character introduction. Pilots are always hard because you know, you have the showrunner creator has such a hard job to introduce so many characters and do it in twenty three minutes. And it's just amazing how much. How many characters are introduced, how many storylines and like love interests are introduced, how much is packed into one episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's some of those. I have questions for you, as a matter of fact, just on you know, how the whole pilot came together and everything.
Speaker 1: Wait, let's start with that. Sorry I don't interrupt you, but let's start with cal I feel like we should tell our stories about auditioning because that's.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that was my first question for you. So when we first started the pilot, I had already done quite a few things, like I was in clueless. I had done remember the Titans already waiting exhale. I was guest starring on Felicity at the time, right, and this was a pilot that came up for me, and I was like, yeah, sure, I'll go out for it. I'd love to go out for it. Anybody wants to be on a show. And it wasn't until after I auditioned for it and got it that everybody was like. I remember all of my agents being like, this is like the number one pilot of this season. Everyone wanted to be a part of this, and you booked it. And now I remember being like, holy cow. I was just looking at it as let me get another job. I got kids to feet, you know what. I mean, you were completely different. You were like, I mean, I know you had been in some things and stuff like that, but you hadn't even really popped yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had done little things, you know, I'd been in an indie. I was in an indie, a couple of indies, one called the Broken Hearts Club that went to sun Dance, but I was still waiting tables. I directed that, by the way, a now superstar famous person named Greg Burlany. It was his very first film and he he gave me one of my first early big breaks being in that movie. And I was a waiter at a French Vietnamese restaurant in Beverly Hills combination and people who you know, if you saw Garden State, my film, I'm kind of spoofing that in the beginning when I'm working with a tunic on and waiting on horrible people. But anyway, I was waiting there and people would come from having Broken Carts Club was in the theater, and people would come from the theater and they'd say for dessert to the restaurant and they'd be like, we just saw your movie. And I'd be like, oh cool, thank you, thank you for going. And they'd be like you were great, and I go, oh, thank you, thank you so much. Let me tell you about it are specials And it was like, only in Hollywood can you go see a movie and then have the star of the movie wait on you for dessert.
Speaker 2: But how did you feel about that? Were you ever embarrassed by it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was so embarrassed. I remember I would go to like a general meeting in Hollywood, these things called general meetings where you kind of go and like you're like bragging that, oh my my career is going so well and we should really work together, and you're just kind of schmoozing. And I remember I did one of those and like, it really went well, and I came out feeling so good. And then that night I looked down at one of my tables and the guy was at the table's all and I didn't I had left out the part how I was still, you know, hustling and waiting tables. But so you know, I got the audition. I was waiting tables. I got the audition. Now my story is a little funny because I went out first for it in New York. I happened to be in New York, and I didn't prepare. It went so poorly. I hadn't read the script. You know, not every audition do you go in killing it. And I didn't do a good job. And when I got back to La, my agent said, look, they still can't find this guy for the show. And it's really, like you said, everyone's talking about this is like one of the hot new shows of the season. You you, I think you could just go back in, like they won't even know, like your audition, I don't even They were like, I don't even know if your tape made it from New York, like because no one was no one, no one even responded to whatever the fuck you did. So I this time, I took it seriously. I memorized that I worked on it. I practiced a lot, and then when I went in. I remember the cash director Brett Right. I was yeah, he looked up at me like, oh okay, like with a smile. And then it was off to the races, and then I met Bill and I worked with Bill, and and then you know, I literally auditioned six times before I got it. And finally my final audition was for the network and it was down between four of us and I read with Sarah and I. You know, I had comitten six times. I wore the exact same outfit every single time because I was so superstitious, and I could really tell that Bill was rooting for me. He he made it known to me that he wanted me to get it. But there were a lot of you know, people that were more famous than me that were that were I mean that we're famous, that were up for it. So I couldn't I couldn't leave. I got it. But anyway, so tell me, tell me about your audition.
Speaker 2: So I auditioned for it. The first time I auditioned for it. I don't know who was in the room, to be honest with you. I just auditioned and they were like, they want to bring you back. And then I came back and I auditioned again, and this time Bill was there, and I remember being like, okay, you know, at this point in my career, it was like, I'm just going to audition for things as many times as i can until they say yes, you know what I mean, or till they say no. And I remember they were like, all right, look, you're going to test for this, but they want you to go in for one more audition. Before that, just to run lines with Bill and work on the jokes and stuff. And I was like, yeah, absolutely. The one thing I remembered to this day he still liked this. If Bill wants the joke to work, he'll laugh. Even if it fell flat, He'll still laugh. To give you the confidence of yo, dude, that's the joke. That's where the joke lands.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we went into the room and we're working on it, and he's laughing at everything, and I'm like, oh, I'm crushing it. And then after every take he'd be like, all right, now, let's work on this beat. And I remember it was him and Danny Rose at the time. Danny Rose was another one of.
Speaker 1: At the time, he was Bill's assistant, but then he rose up in the ranks and became a producer on the show.
Speaker 2: Right, And so we did it, and then he was like, all right, good luck tomorrow. And I was like, all right, bet. And so I went on the audition and I saw a bunch of friends of mine auditioning, and Sarah was there, and you know, we were there for about an hour and a half, all of us testing in front of the network. And I remember at one point you know, We're all sitting out there for a while and they hadn't come out in a bit, and Bill comes out. He's like, Donald, I need to talk to you real quick. And I was like, oh, well, I guess I'm the first person to go home. And he says, so, look, your audition you probably could tell already, but you you kind of fucked it up. So and so you know, I want to give you another shot because the things that I've seen you do, you just didn't do that time in the room, and so if you could just bring it down a little bit, And I do you agree with him?
Speaker 1: Did you think?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you agree with them? And think like, oh shit, I was so nervous, and he's right.
Speaker 2: No, I thought I was crushing it. I was doing everything that we I thought I was doing everything that we had done in the rehearsal right. So finally I go in there and I remember toning everything down and him being like perfect and then leaving and he sent everybody home except for Sarah, myself and one other person. And that night I found out I got the job. Wow, you know what I mean? And you know, when I went in on the audition, I expected to see the guy that he had kept. You know, it was me, Sarah and this one guy, and we were like, holy cow, I guess we got it right. And uh I expected to see the guy at the table read and you walked in. I was like, that's not the same dude.
Speaker 1: Wait, so I knew who you were obviously, but because I loved I had not seen anything you were in. No, No, you wouldn't. I didn't mean to say that you'd seen my two little indies. I just mean, like, I guess I don't know what my question is. I mean like you even seeing a picture of me, you didn't even know anything about me.
Speaker 2: You just knew nothing about you.
Speaker 1: You knew what you knew. An unknown guy got the part at least right.
Speaker 2: I feel like I remember what you wore to a table read, though, I feel like you wore corduroy brown pants.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe that you would remember this.
Speaker 2: And a T shirt. And we met at the bar while I.
Speaker 1: Remember this, I remember I was writing this down in my notes. First of all, it was that Christa Miller's and Bill's old house.
Speaker 2: And Charlotte Lawrence had just been born.
Speaker 1: Charlotte Lawrence was a baby, and we walked into I remember it was a sunken living room and there was a bar in the corner. And then you turned around and we're like, gave me this big smile and we were like yeahbody like and I was like, it literally was love at first sight, right, I just felt I was so nervous. If understand, I mean, I knew you were obviously, I knew John McGinley was. I had met Sarah at my audition, but like I was, you can imagine. I mean, we're all nervous no matter who you are, but I was because because also people do get fired after the table reads, so you know, you're like, You're like, I mostly have it, but I really got to make sure I keep it. And uh, and then I saw you and you were so warm and and and I think we hugged. I think the first time, I know, we did hug Yeah, the first time we met, we hugged.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's that's that was the That was the crazy. The craziest thing was I remember not knowing who you were and being like, all right, they were and Bill was like, let's start the table read. And I remember being nervous for myself and then you started reading and all of a sudden, the jokes that I didn't see in the script when I read it, all of a sudden started to appear because you were knocking out knocking it out of the and everybody was laughing and you know, really excited. So when it was my time to come and I was like, yeah, the energy was there, and you know what I mean. I just remember being like, holy cow, this kid is amazing. And I remember being like this could actually turn into something. This is at the table read I remember being like this could be something special. My agents weren't lying when they told me this was the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, I remember that special feeling too. I also wanted to say that I when I drove home from my test, I had a star Tech. I had the Motorola star Tech.
Speaker 2: You remember that, Yeah, yeah, the two ways.
Speaker 1: No, No, the star Tek was the little flip phone, the little black flip phone back in the day.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I had my little I had my little I had my little flip phone and I put it on the passenger seat as I was driving home from the network test, and I'm just waiting to see if it was gonna ring, and like is my life about to change substantially or not? And the phone rang. It was Bill. He told me I got the part. And I was just flipping out. I mean, I had no money. I didn't have a dollar into my name. I you know, I was living.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, who are you telling? Man? I had kids. I bought a house with all of this clueless money that I had, And you know what I mean, I thought I was going to be a baller. And I remember having to call home and beg my mom for money so I could get gas to go on these auditions.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what I mean. Because I was broke, my parents loaned me five thousand dollars to buy a car out in La So I bought a car. I bought a Nissan to forty SX. I remember that, which did me really really well. And and then I was just, you know, living off my waiters salary. But I got the call from Bill. I freak out. I called my mom, I called my dad, and then I called the manager of the restaurant, who was amazingly supportive of me, and she was she was an actress herself, and she was like, I'm so happy for you, congratulations, And I was like, well, I quit and she was like wait, I'll never forget that. She was like, work tonight. I was like what now, But she's like you have to work tonight and I was like I do. She's like, babe, you can't leave me hanging like that. You gotta work tonight. I was like, I was like, oh, I'll work tonight. And I got like I had hammered. People were like waiting on me, like, you know, because it was one of those restaurants where people were like really douchey and like sir, and I'd be like, just wait your turn, you know.
Speaker 3: I was like.
Speaker 6: Everybody, everybody calm down, all right, you know, Vietnamese food is coming right on.
Speaker 2: I remember after we shot the pilot just to jump ahead and having to wait for so long for the show to get picked up, right and running into you at a club and you being out of your mind blitzed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's probably what happened. I could never get into the club, like I went like and the classic thing with like the red velvet ropes and like I can't even picture like me being on line at the club being like all right, I'm going out to a nightclub tonight. Because I got some money in my pocket, and like I picture, I see like Donald going in, like the guys, like the bouncers, like part the red velvet ropes is Donald and his posse gets gets led into the club. And then I get in and I saw you. I remember, I remember the first night I saw you, like out in the real world, and I like screamed because I was like, dude, you were.
Speaker 2: So loud and he was so drunk. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I had to celebrate.
Speaker 2: So let's get let's get back to the let's get back.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the pilot.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The first thing I want to say about the pilot. The first thing I noticed is that that's not the hospital right that the pilot for Scrubs was filmed. We filmed technically in three spots. The pilot was filmed in a Burbank hospital, and this one that they show it in the exterior is actually not even that. It's just a different hospital. But then we shot the bulk of the series at a hospital in Valley Village which is now apartments. And then season nine, which we'll have plenty of jokes about, was shot actually on a back lot on stages. But the bulk of the show, the one that that you all know and love, was shot all inside a real hospital, and I'm sure not everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: It was a real hospital. Remember the sound man saying something about, you know, I think when we did the pilot. I'm not sure if I'm not sure if it was the pilot or the actual series, but I think it was the pilot saying, you know what, I'm gonna set up in this room because this is the room that my father died in or something.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, that's so dark. Our dressing rooms, you know. You know you've seen a lot of times on sets that people have trailers their dressing rooms. Well, our dressing rooms were hospital rooms. For for eight and a half years that we worked at this hospital, we lived and did everything inside this hospital. I mean, our dressing rooms were in the hospital, the makeup rooms in the hospital offices were in this hospital. The editing, the writer's room, everything, all the other sets, like you know, whether it was the inside of a bar or our apartment, all those were built into this really disgusting ancient hospital.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I want to talk about the first scene where you wake up and it's time to That was that a reshoot.
Speaker 1: No, it was not a reshoot. I think it was done like after the fact things. Probably one of the last things we did. I do remember thinking that I didn't think this was funny, this this whole shaving cream thing.
Speaker 2: It turned out to be really funny.
Speaker 1: Well that's Bill. Bill turns it into something. I remember thinking like, what, why would I be doing this? Why would I, on my first day so nervous, be making a shaving cream bra or.
Speaker 2: Being like a warrior, A warrior.
Speaker 1: A kind of young I am. I'm just scrolling through because I like to just reference it. But anyway, I didn't think it was funny at the time, but then I saw and I remember thinking, yeah, that was that.
Speaker 2: Was clever, okay, And then the scene where you walk into the hospital and the lady gives you all of this energy about what's gonna happen today, et cetera, et cetera, and then you not really knowing where to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this was one thing I'll hear me say over and over again was and Bill always said this was like, there's no person better to play someone young and in over their head than me, because here I was, I didn't know anything about. I mean, it was all method acting. I didn't know anything about starring in a TV show. I didn't know anything about like I mean, I knew I had some experience, but every time I was playing the wide eyed guy walking around, I was just being mean because I couldn't believe that this was happening to me. You know, it was the exact same life that I was living, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, speaking of wide eyed. Before we started the pilot, they wanted us to all go on rounds with doctors and stuff like that. I did that, but right I did not. I opted out. I was like, get the fuck out here. I'm not doing that shit. I don't want to see any of this.
Speaker 6: But meanwhile, I'm like, I'm like the diligent student who's like, all right, send me out right.
Speaker 2: I remember getting on the phone with the young lady who was my contact that was going to take me around on rounds, and her being like, so you're coming down to night and me being like, yeah about that. No, I don't see myself ever doing this. If you could just tell me some anecdotes, I'll be great.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was the exact I was like the good student.
Speaker 2: I was like, did you see anything crazy.
Speaker 1: No, but I remember thinking it was really inappropriate actually, that she was having me like go around, like to visit patients with her, Like she she put a stethoscope around my neck so I would look like legit, Like I know it's kind of fucked up in hindsight, like I should not have been doing that. But did she ever refer to you like, No, not, because she she was just treating me like I was like I was a medical student and she wasn't doing what she should have done, which is being like, hey, is it okay there's someone who's an actor researching apart, she wasn't doing that. I was just going in and being like, hey, how's a guy, And she'd kind of like and the people would be like looking at her, and then they like they nod to me, and I'm like I would just be nodding. I remember, I was just I was just kind of had like a serious nod on my face, like I was listening and understanding what's going on. I want to talk about the title sequence because that's the next thing that comes up.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about that too, Man, dude, how much did you hate that until you saw it? That's one of those things where I was like, this is sucks. Man.
Speaker 1: It took for those of you who don't know, it's a motion control camera, and it really took a long time to do that, and at the time we didn't know how cool it would look, so it was like it took like a full day to do it, and I remember we were all kind of really over it by the end. Then it came out and it was really fucking cool. And then we've heard this for many times our whole scrubs existence, but the X ray at the end is backwards, and every every doctor wanted to point that out, and we used to be like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's on purpose. Get it because they're like med students comedy yeah, and they're med students and they don't fully get it. People We're like, no, it wasn't the fucking prop guy fucked up the ship backwards.
Speaker 2: We did, And but we got lucky with that too, because that kind of set the tone for this offbeat, wacky show of ours.
Speaker 1: You know, I know, I know, But early on in like in like commentary, I remember everyone being like the X rays backwards and we were like, yeah, we meant to do it.
Speaker 2: And do it again when we do it next time.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when we in a few years in they tried to redo this sequence with Neil to add Neil. I wanted to add Neil and Neil. Yeah, and and then so they aired it a few times and the fan base was like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: Opra? Right, No, they weren't having it.
Speaker 1: They were not having it.
Speaker 2: They were like the last season nine. How they weren't having season nine either. But anyway, all right, we jump.
Speaker 1: We have one hundred and eighty episodes to get to you before we digress, digress, wait, and then I want to say that the song was was a song I found from a band called laslow Bane that I was friends with and I.
Speaker 2: Because originally we wanted five for fighting, but that was the Yeah, that was the original theme song. It was something like, uh, I'm more than a bird. We can never use this, I'm more than a plane.
Speaker 1: I think you're allowed to sing a few lines.
Speaker 2: More than some superman beside a train. However it goes anyway, so I can't stand a fly.
Speaker 1: My friend, I'm not that Nie right, all right? My friend Chad Fisher was in this band, and I thought the lyrics were perfect because it's not only was it a great song, but it's like what the show's about. You know, I'm Superman. Donald, get it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the same thing the fire for Fighting song was about. You just found somebody who wrote something kind of similar to it.
Speaker 1: I can't do it all, Donald, I couldn't do it all on my own. I needed my friend.
Speaker 2: I'm mothering a bird.
Speaker 1: You have such a pretty voice, though.
Speaker 2: I just remember how perfect the song was when they sang it, and we didn't really necessarily know that it was going to be the theme song until I remember you playing it for me and being like dude and being like, oh, yeah, that's cool. But I didn't realize it was going to really be the theme song until we had that first cookout before we started shooting the show and he sang it with the with the bullhorn and his boy playing the guitar next to him and being like, oh.
Speaker 1: I remember that. And then we made a music video. If any of you never saw it, it's kind of cool. I shot a music video for the song, and I shot all this kind of cool footage of us. I'm sure it's on YouTube, all right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk about the first scene with you.
Speaker 1: I'm gathering my notes because I did a lot of prep. I want the fans to know I did a lot of prep for this right on.
Speaker 2: So the first scene with you and I, where we're talking and Ted the Lawyer is explaining to us, you know, legal procedure in the hospital. Yeah, I remember him making up the line and if your if your patient's dead and and you're sure.
Speaker 1: And you're sure, And I.
Speaker 2: Remember that was when I realized, oh, wow, Bill's gonna let us. He's gonna let us improve a little bit. Yeah, and opportunities to be funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's one of the things that made Scrubs really special is that Bill really let everyone kind of make it their own. I mean, his running rule through through the whole series was, you know, please get it the way that it's written first, make sure we've got it good, and then you guys can play around and improvise, and if you have some wacky idea, you can do it. And that was from the get go. And then he had and he hired all these amazing people like Sam Lloyd who plays Lawyer.
Speaker 2: Who played Ted the Lawyer, and a.
Speaker 1: Little Trivia who's Christopher Lloyd's nephew, you know, just hilarious character actors like that that could that would just bring all their own and no matter what the size of the part, you know, from from from our sized part all the way down to people who had you know, would have one line an episode, there was so much freedom to just kind of riff around and make it funny. Yeah, and we should give a shout out to Adam Bernstein who directed the pilot. A pily director. Yeah, a pilot director for those of you who don't know, really sets the look of the show and the style. You know, Scrubs has a very specific style with the whippans and the flashing, the flashbacks and fantasies.
Speaker 2: And even the color of the show to make how it looks so much like a hospital and isn't overly saturated like a lot of TV shows that deal with hospital life. They you know, they want their actors to pop on screens. So the blueser bluer, and the eyes and the you know what I mean, Scrubs, it looked dingy and dirty in the hospital in that first episode. I noticed a lot.
Speaker 1: I noticed that it was clearly the thing I noticed, you know, the whole idea was that it was it was a hospital that was had very little money. And I noticed there's a lot of stuff, you know, I haven't watched the pilot in how many years? Twenty years, but I remember I was looking at the ceiling tiles. There's all these like missing ceiling tiles. Yeah, and it was and Bill and Adam really made it feel like a dingy you know. It was not supposed to be a nice hospital. Also, the show was shot on film, which a lot of people probably don't know. This was the entire series was shot on sixteen millimeter film. That's why there's no blu ray and there's no if you look at it normally, how it's meant to be seen. It's a square because it was before high def video and sixteen by nine televisions, and no one ever like upres it. So this is all we got. I watched the iTunes version, which has the original music. Do you want to explain to them about the music thing?
Speaker 2: Hulu doesn't have the original music.
Speaker 1: Well, just you know, just because it's a question we get from a lot of fans at times on social media. All this music that was put on scrubs and a lot of people love was licensed before streaming, so these days a lot of times if you watch it on Hulu where it's currently playing, or wherever you're watching it, it might have some of those songs that you love replaced because they weren't licensed for streaming rights. iTunes is the only place, or owning the DVDs obviously is the only place where where all of the original music would be there. Let's talk about your teeth for a second, because I don't think we can just let this go.
Speaker 2: Oh, I had baby teeth when we started shooting the show. I don't have baby teeth. And if you spent a lot of money on new teeth there it is if you.
Speaker 1: Freeze, if you freeze frame. There was there was a saga of Donald's teeth because he used to have he had fake braces famously in Clueless.
Speaker 2: Yes, because they were trying to hide my small teeth.
Speaker 1: Go on, Oh is that really why?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Oh, we're getting an exclusive here, so you're telling.
Speaker 2: They shave my head and they shaved my head and Clueless because my hairline was receding at eighteen, you know what I mean? Like that, by the time I was twenty one, I had this hairline right here that you that I'm well, you guys can't see it, but I had this.
Speaker 1: Uh, by the way, I feel like we're breaking news. You're famous.
Speaker 2: They called me, George Jefferson, okay, because of my hairline?
Speaker 6: Are you happy?
Speaker 2: Are you happy?
Speaker 1: But I never knew that the clueless braces were because of your fucked up chick lit teeth.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then the and then the hats that I wore and clueless was because of my hairline.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Like I have a baby face. I have a baby face. It's a baby right, Like I have a baby face. Yeah, but I don't have a baby's hairline.
Speaker 1: Right, I had baby teeth.
Speaker 2: I had baby teeth.
Speaker 1: Who called you, George Jefferson your parents?
Speaker 2: No, some like dickhead that I grew up with my parents. You're an asshole. That'd be hilarious, George, All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's go forward with your chicken teeth. And then and then well, by the way, funny story. So then one season Donald chose up. He decided on his own.
Speaker 2: We could talk about this some other time. We don't need to talk about this now.
Speaker 1: Well, can I just tease it later?
Speaker 2: It tracks, it'll track, all right.
Speaker 1: Donald shut up with braces on the inside of his teeth and had a lisp, and Bill was like, take your fucking braces off. What the hell you?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, but there's like six episodes where I'm talking like this the whole.
Speaker 1: And Donald chowse up.
Speaker 6: But he's like, I don't Bill, I don't think anyone's gonna notice. And Bill's like, no one's gonna notice. What the fuck are you doing? What'd you do? And Donald's like, well, it's cut brief of but you can't see hi because they're on the insize in my mouth.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I don't even think that's a funny story, dude.
Speaker 1: I think it's hilarious. All right, let's talk about Sarah Chalk's entrance into the lounge room. Absolutely done, dun duh, the brilliant and beautiful Sarah Chalk.
Speaker 2: So I remember at the audition saying Sarah and being like that's the girl from Roseanne. Holy cow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, second Becky and.
Speaker 2: Thinking she's definitely gonna get this part because that was the girl from Roseanne, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, I didn't know. I knew she was. Second Becky was, as she jokingly called herself, and people called her because she had replaced the original Becky, but I wasn't until I read with her in front of Bill and then I read whether at my final Studio Network test that I got to meet her, and I was just smitten. I just thought she was so funny and so beautiful, and.
Speaker 2: That was one of my notes. Actually, you guys had such great chemistry in the pilot, and it showed on screen that, you know, I think that worked for the remainder of the show because of you know, it's hard to tell a will they won't they early on in a pilot, you know what I mean, Like you can say one person has a crush, but you both kind of had a chemistry for each other in the pilots, and it was undeniable, you know what I mean. So like right away, you knew that at some point you guys had to get together, you know what I mean. Even if it didn't work, you knew it. You guys had to get together.
Speaker 1: And then there was that scene where we're in the staircase and I'm supposed to be looking at her butt going up and saying it looks I never understood why two pringles, which is what I say, but your butt looks like two pringles hugging. I never knew a.
Speaker 2: Curve because it's a little okay, so a pringle isn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's a compliment for a butt though.
Speaker 2: Is it trying to tell me you don't appreciate a round booty?
Speaker 1: No, I love a round booty.
Speaker 2: But I just don't know what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: But bro, you think you think I would say, like, it looks like a juicy peach. I wouldn't say it looks like two pringles that are like sharp and breakable.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 1: How would you describe a nice bottom like to a piece of food? You would choose pringles?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I'm gonna okay, do we need to get into this.
Speaker 1: Well you can. You can say it in a nice correction.
Speaker 2: For a really long time, people of Caucasian colors didn't necessarily like to have big, round booties, and so a pringle being a tiny curved chip, if you put them together, they looked like a little tiny booty.
Speaker 1: You're saying because she had a tiny white girl booty, it was pringly right.
Speaker 2: Nowadays, because of certain actresses and Instagram models or whatever influence. Everyone and their mama likes a round booty, now, a big round. So you're starting to put fake booties that are starting to put fake stuff in the buttocks area to make the booty round. Now, I've heard that some women really round booties already and decided, yo, you know what, it ain't round enough and took more to make it bigger.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you about this, yes, Now, is your theory that certain famous influencers have influenced women to to add not just.
Speaker 2: Exercise, not just women, men too, Men too?
Speaker 1: Now they exercise it. You can choose to exercise and build up your booty. But you're saying that people really do put put fake implants into their bottoms.
Speaker 2: They not only put it into their bottoms, they put it into their chest area, They put it into their abs, they put it into their arms. There are so many people out there where you're like, Wow, that dude works out, or wow, she must really work out and it's all enhancements.
Speaker 1: Do you think men get ass implants?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Do you love a number for a doctor who does?
Speaker 2: That's true because you got a little too baffle behind, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, I know it's small, It's very small. I was thinking the other day.
Speaker 2: That was the other thing that I noticed about you that when the first time I met you, I like my but was really small, booty.
Speaker 1: Oh you noticed that at the table?
Speaker 2: Read absolutely when you walked away anyway, gone.
Speaker 1: I just wrote down because there was a shot of her butt at which I thought looked beautiful, and then I kind of thought about the line pringles and I didn't fully understand it. Right, Let's move on from Sarah and her glorious Let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about John C McGinley. Yes, let's doctor Cox.
Speaker 1: Wait before you get to Cox, I want to talk about just I think Matt Winston is first. So Matt Winston is the guy who's saying I'm a tool, I'm a tool, I'm a tool. And I always thought he was so friggin funny. In fact, I put him in my film which I was here and a little bit of trivia for the trivia buffs out there. He's Stan Winston's son, the late great Stan Winston. Did you know that, Donald?
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, So his dad he wasn't used a ton a Bill sort of phased him out, although he did have a hilarious line where he goes it's like a baguette. Yeah, I think when he was talking about Kelseo's penis. All right, So Johnny c McGinley, I mean, where do we begin the legend?
Speaker 2: The legend that I remember when we after the table read. When I saw him at the table read, I was like, I'm gonna stay clear of that guy. He's a little intimidating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a little scary.
Speaker 2: And then we did the rehearsals at the hospital and I remember him and I was like, I remember telling myself focus on him right now because we're all, you know, kind of wide eyed and don't necessarily know what it is we want to do. He came into the game already with Cox like he was like, this is how I'm gonna play him. This is how he's going to be, you know what I mean, he knew right away what he was doing. And I remember I was like, focus on that guy because he seems to be already out the gate, you know what I mean. He seems to be running already. Where we're you know, getting a slow start, he's already off and running, So focus on him and try and match that energy that he has.
Speaker 1: And he nobody worked harder. I mean, Johnny throughout the course of the season had those endless, really hard to do monologues, and he would sometimes get him the night before and he would work so hard. I mean, this is not a guy who ever phoned in. I don't think Johnny ever flubbed a line in nine years.
Speaker 2: I mean not just not true. He flubbed lines.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm saying, most rare, of the least often of any of us. And he was just so on it, and so he so made it his. You know, there's a thing in acting where you say, like, oh, I don't want to just do it a generic way that anyone will do it.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to make it specific to me and make it mine. And a lot of actors, I think forced that, and so they put all this shit onto it that isn't necessary. They're just trying to be different, whereas some actors just do that and as natural it feels right. And I think Johnny's the ultimate example of that. He's someone who all these characteristics and all the things, the gestures, the hands on the back of his head, the touch in his nose, like that's all just Johnny. That's all stuff that's so specifically him that he brought to that part, you know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and he stayed consistent with it the whole time. Everything he did. He was like we all evolved into different characters as the show went on. If you watched the show, we're very you know, you and I would it were you know, it's not as broad as the show goes on. Johnny stayed consistent from the beginning. He was the same level the whole time, right, and you really see it in that first scene where he comes into the breakroom and is doing his thing, you know what I mean. It's really interesting, you know, to go back and watch now because when making it, you know, I paid attention to him specifically because of who he was, but to see how I evolved, to see how you evolved, to see how Sarah evolved, to see how you know what I mean, Judy evolved.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: It really and all from this pilot, you know what I mean. It's like the pilot is a tame version of what Scrubs became, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Although there's things about it, you know, I don't know if you noticed, but there's things that are in the pilot that you can see both Bill and Adam Bernstein and the director are figuring out like that. We eventually phased out like all the I mean like there's like whip noises when Johnny turns his head and there's like there's little there's like way more sound effects early on. I think in the show that they eventually toned down. I mean that's a digression from Johnny. So Johnny's just amazing And people always ask what he's like, and I say, he literally is this intent. But he's just the most nice person you've ever met. It's just like he's like picture that intensity of a human being, but he's a super sweet nice there's nothing.
Speaker 2: But love though, that intensity with nothing but love.
Speaker 1: And when he shakes your hand, he puts out his hand and goes, there's five good ones for you.
Speaker 2: Meaning his finger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's five good ones for you.
Speaker 2: Grab it and squeeze.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He's got all sorts of sayings, but I'll never forget there's five good ones for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one, and there's a Mammo in that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'd finish it. We'd finish a scene in One of our editor's names was Jean Michelle and you'd go, I think we gave Jean Michelle some mammo. All right, so let's go. The next thing I wrote down on if you have anything before this, but was the sitcom fantasy I have where I where I'm with Sarah on.
Speaker 2: This man you to man.
Speaker 1: So I don't even know what this was. A sitcom. Must have been on on NBC or something or maybe ABC, because but I don't remember we borrowed some Actually, people out there might who know the sitcom might recognize who said it is, But we just went to an actual set and shot this scene there because we didn't, you know, it was the pilot.
Speaker 2: Was it like good Morning Miami or something like that.
Speaker 1: That could have been it. I don't know. It probably was a pilot of the of the same season, right or something. And I remember this was just surreal. We were in like on a real sitcom stage. And now, granted I have a huge crush on Sarah and I'm doing my best to like hold it together, and then all of a sudden, we're doing a scene where she rips off her top and mounts me and we make out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, Back in the day, I was like, Wow, she ripped off her top. That's cutting edge. Now I look at it and I'm like, oh, whoa did she have to rip off our top?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think the show. You have to look at it in the context of the year. I mean, everybody forgets now because we have all this everything streaming and cable and everything's so much more risque, and you go to you seek out whatever you watch. I mean, from the Show Girls, the crazy show they would do on there, to everything and anything that's on Netflix now. But back in the day, you know, I think Bill was trying to push the envelope. The show was on at nine or nine thirty. He was trying to push the diamelo of what you could do on network television. So both with being politically incorrected times, both with sex with language. I mean, he was trying to say, like, hey, network, you can compete and be a little bit you know riskee, And so this for the time was pretty risque. I mean it was. There's a lot of sex in the show. You know, it's funny. I have I'm sure you do. You have people who go, hey, I'm showing my kids scrubs and I can't be in the same room. It's so awkward because it's because there was a lot of sex in the show.
Speaker 2: No, I don't you know, I don't let my kids watch Scrubs.
Speaker 1: Well your kids are your kids are too young.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like I got a six year old and a four year old, no watch scrub.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't mean your kids. I mean, like like Matt Tarsis, who was one of the writers, he told me that his son, who was a teenager, was watching the show and he's like, I had to walk out of the room. I was like watching like you and Sarah have these sex scenes, like that episode where we're eating pizza and we're like hanging all over the placer.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know that's that is true. Sarah did have to take her top off. But I'm gonna be honest with you. I think the guys on the show were way more naked than the females were on the show. You know what I mean. Between you were naked naked so much.
Speaker 1: Your body looks fierce.
Speaker 2: Thank you, like Tay Diggs, Baby, like Ty Diggs.
Speaker 1: You know, you know. Funny bit of trivia. Rob Maschio, who was often only in his banana hammock and worked very hard to maintain that physique, he would do all sorts of push ups and stuff. When the show moved from whatever season from NBC to ABC, which is owned by Disney, they made a rule that we could no longer film him from the waist down when he was in his banana hammock. Did you know that bit of trivia?
Speaker 2: I didn't know that bit of trivia. I also, I remember, and we'll discuss this later on, but there were times where we were actually really naked because it had to be that way for the camera.
Speaker 1: Wait, you didn't have like a sock on your penis.
Speaker 2: I did one time. I did have a sock on my penis, And I remember having to walk into parking lot with a bunch of people, which a sock on my penis. I remember not only that, not only that I had, I had also a very big leaf, very big leaf. It was a big leaf, first of all, a large like an overleaf. It was like it was like a maple leaf, like a huge maple leaf.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like one of those thin like bamboo.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it wasn't like it wasn't like an eucalyptus leaf. It was a it was like a maple leaf to cover my job.
Speaker 1: No one has ever bragged about their sexual prowess through leaf side, so that's a first for our podcast. I do want to say that I once there's a scene where I was dancing in front of Tara Reid and I was supposed to be naked and they were shooting me from behind, and so I just I packed everything I had into a sock and I was doing the dance in front of Tara Reid, remember that? And then and then the sock came off, and then I was like, what is surreal experience? There's Tara Reid just staring at me junk.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, I mean what am I gonna do? I apologize and and all right, so we got a caller on, wait, why are you interrupting? I want to I just want to say that it was a tube sock, much like your leaf analogy.
Speaker 2: It was not it wasn't It wasn't a dress sock.
Speaker 1: It was you know those little those little socks people now where they're just like.
Speaker 2: Go for There wasn't an ankle sock. It was a tube sock. What did they call those things that just go ankle socks?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was a sock.
Speaker 2: It was a tube sock.
Speaker 1: It was a tube sock.
Speaker 2: Got to say, we're basing your boys. It was a.
Speaker 1: Long one, so we got it was a woman's thigh high.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't mean to interrupt you, Zack, but we got a caller on.
Speaker 1: This is exciting because I I daydreamed when we said we were going to do this that we should take fan questions from all around the world, and it's really happening. So go ahead, Donald, and.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to introduce Chris to the podcast. Chris. How are you hi.
Speaker 4: Chris, how's it coming guys? I'm doing well. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: On very first guest. So we really want to nail this. We want to give you the best answer to your question. That's that's ever been given to any question throughout the history.
Speaker 5: Okay, gotcha, that's weir at that no pressure exactly, all right.
Speaker 2: I guess the question I'll ask you all This.
Speaker 5: One comes from a buddy of mine named Andrew. I have a question about the soundtrack. I think that's something that was such like an iconic part of the show just across all the seasons. You introduced so many people to so many awesome artists over the years. Was that something was there someone that spearheaded that did you guys just have great taste?
Speaker 4: Like, how did you come up with this soundtrack?
Speaker 1: It was all me, It was all Donald had nothing to do with it. Let me just sry.
Speaker 2: I literally had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean, did you ever get a song on ever?
Speaker 2: No, because I was listening to songs like Jo tosy Uh. I was listening to you know, uh songs by Wu Tang Clan, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: Donald didn't take the music.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, a lot of the artists that were on the show I was introduced to for the first time while watching the show. So who do we have on a show? Keen all these people, I had no idea who they were, you know what I mean? And some artists that were well known. I just didn't listen to that type of music at the time. It wasn't until Scrubs that all of a sudden started listening to Indian folk rock, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that you know. First of all, it was a lot of people. It was definitely Bill Lawrence obviously created the show, and his wife, Christa Miller, who played Jordan, and myself. I think we were the three probably the main people, but also a lot of the writers in the writer's room. A lot of times when it was their script, they'd go with a lot of people. But and of course the editors who would who would you know? The editors would get like ten ideas and they'd be the ones to try and and and shape it to see what would work the best. So there was a bunch of us, but christ Miller definitely did a lot of song choosing, and I got a bunch on myself that I'm excited about.
Speaker 2: Our best friend got Josh Joshua rade Rad and got his start really before Scrubs. What was Josh doing?
Speaker 1: He was sleeping on my couch, was he really? Yeah? I mean he didn't even have a job. And he had written the song Winter, which we played in the episode where Bretton Fraser's character dies spoiler And yeah, when Winter was so popular that that had launched a career for Josh and everyone was like, what other songs do you have? And he's like, that's the only song I've ever written, And so he had to like frantically make an album.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember going to watch him at two concerts with like me, Zach my girlfriend at the time, Zach's girlfriend at the time, and that was it. Yeah, and now he sells out, you know.
Speaker 1: He does. He does really really well, so that's it. It was a lot of fun, you know. I think Bill was early on in putting music at the you know, now it's become very popular and very common to sort of end your episode of TV with an emotional piece of music and then cut around in a montage and watch how everyone, you know, what they learned from the episode. And and I think Bill was at the forefront of doing that definitely, because you know, now now it's pretty commonplace. But I think Scrubs was kind of one of the first shows to do that.
Speaker 2: You know. I like to think The Wonder Years was, Yeah, he would was a was a early version of what single camera comedy. I mean, mash obviously, but the Wonder Years really took it's the time that it was in and use the music of that time to help tell the story. And Scrubs, I feel like it's the next thing to do that.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, and Alan mcbial also Ally McBeal, I think Bill would say that I remember the show Alian mcbeil had they cut away to wacky shit. I mean, I think Scrubs meets Scrubs is sort of Alian McBeal meets Mash meets Wonder Years. Right, all right, so we answer your question.
Speaker 4: He did. That was awesome. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Do you have another one? We'll give you another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll give you another question.
Speaker 4: All right. I've got a two part question.
Speaker 5: It's kind of common knowledge now that the Janitor wasn't supposed to make a past season one.
Speaker 4: He was supposed to be a fig man of JD's imagination.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so two parterre here one, how is that supposed to be written in? How is it going to come to be known that the Janitor was, you know, just a figment of the imagination. And then the second part of that is is there any plotline that didn't come to fruition that you really wish did?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know that, but wait, I just want to say, we're gonna have Bill on for everyone. That Billill probably our first guest because he can answer all sorts of questions about what his plan was for the writing and such. But I do remember that Neil Flynn First of all, I was going to talk about this when we got to Neil in the pilot. But Neil was supposed to just have a small part. He wasn't. Bill wasn't even intending that he was going to be in the show beyond the pilot or maybe a few episodes. But he was so hilarious that Bill just kept adding him and adding him and adding him, and to the point where he was one became one of the stars of the show. And Neil is a hilarious, improvisational actor, and so a lot of times he would just make up his own line throughout the whole run of the show. And in fact, it got to a point where and sometimes in a script it would just say like and then Neil makes up something funny like it wouldn't even have aligned for him, because Neil was just so gifted and hilarious.
Speaker 2: Well, that whole scene was that whole scene improved with you and him with the penny and the door.
Speaker 1: Well the penny in the door was all written. But I'm saying, like right off the bat, everybody could tell like, this guy, Neil Flynn is really funny and he's got to be more in the show. And you know, Bill would kind of try people out, and when they killed it, he'd keep using him, you know, just like you like all the people that fans grew to love, like you know, Phil Lewis Hooch, Like we'd all thought he was so frigging hilarious. We just kept putting him on the show whenever we could. So anyway, long story short, if you I think throughout season one the janitor only addresses me if I'm not mistaken now, so so Bill kind of had the idea, like, oh my god, if this doesn't go too long, it might be funny to do a big reveal that the janitor is totally in in uh in JD's imagination.
Speaker 2: But then how crazy and would that have made j D? Though? You would have been like a freaking psycho dude.
Speaker 1: You would have been to look at my look at nine years of wacky fantasies. Remember when you were a goat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, but it was a fantasy. These were fantasies, Goat. If you actually had somebody that you an imaginary friend that you talked to and would talk back to you, and you're a doctor.
Speaker 1: I know, I think it could have been cool. But but anyway, The point was that that the show kept going and Bill. I remember Bill. I heard Bill say like I had to, I had to have this guy interact with other people because it was like, you know, and then it became you know, he wanted to. I think fans also wanted to see the character of the Janitor interact with people. Although you never knew his name or did you name was Janitor or was it Glenn Matthews.
Speaker 2: Did we answer the second part of the question.
Speaker 1: Oh, storylines, we did. We did a medicinal marijuana long before it's time. We did a medicinal marijuana plot line and start shooting it, and then the studio told Bill to shut it down, and we did.
Speaker 2: It happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because of course now marijuana is legal in California and so many other places.
Speaker 2: Well, it had just started I remember, it had just started becoming legal at the time when we were Yeah, I remember, I do remember that because there were a lot of people that were smoking weed.
Speaker 1: We probably shouldn't bring that up in the in the first episode of this let's get to how high everybody was in future episodes with the tease something.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, I was a tease.
Speaker 1: Okay, in future episodes, Donald will out people for who was baked twin? All right, thank you, Chris.
Speaker 4: Thank you Chris, Thank you Chris.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being our first guest.
Speaker 2: That would be so funny. That would be so funny if that's how we did it. If in that scene he's high.
Speaker 1: I think you need to come clean. When we get to scenes where you were baked.
Speaker 2: That'll be like the whole series run.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, How long into the series did you stop memorizing your lines?
Speaker 2: Uh rt.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that in future episodes to come as well. Oh, I wanted to say the scene with Johnny in the in the in the lounge with with the woman, that that was my audition scene where Johnny comes in with the woman he says is dead and he's telling me to throw tile in all her face. That was one of the main I think one of the three scenes that I auditioned with. What was your audition scenes?
Speaker 2: Do you remember My audition scene was I'm really scared. I'm so happy that I get to wear a surgical mask, a mask because if I didn't have it on, my face would look like this, And then I make the scared face. Yeah, that was one of my auditioned scenes. And then and did.
Speaker 1: You improv I love you? Or is that in the script?
Speaker 2: No, we improv that. Bill came up to me. It was like telling me you love him at the end. That was funny and I was like what he was like to say it and then laugh when you watch.
Speaker 1: And then Lonnie, by the way, everyone that's Lonnie's playing. Lonnie's playing the pizza delivery.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that was him until watching the pilot.
Speaker 1: So Lonnie Lonnie exists. It's one of the few people that exists as two different characters in the Scrubs universe.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's three different characters.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, why there's Lonnie, there's pizza delivery guy?
Speaker 2: And who was a was Lonnie also the guy that played basketball? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, Scrubs fans will answer for us. But yeah, that was very funny. I love that when you say I love you, he looks. We both look at you like.
Speaker 2: What I might say it to you all the time.
Speaker 1: In this scene, also with the woman was supposed to be really dead, and I remember the network pushed back against Bill and said, no, you can't have her really genuinely pushing around a dead woman. You have to have her at the end go I'm not really dead. So that was a rewrite forced by the network because Bill thought it was funny if he really was just pushing around a corpse.
Speaker 2: Very funny too. I want to talk about Ken Jenkins for second, Yes, because I feel like he was the MVP of our show, you know what I mean, in so many ways, like, uh, it's really difficult to be on a show with such a huge ensemble cast where everyone is likable, from the lead all the way down to the guest stars. Everyone's likable. I think the hardest part, the hardest person to play in all of that would be the bad guy, you know what I mean. And he made it so that the bad guy you didn't like him, but you still loved him, you know what I mean. And I felt like he was literally the MVP. Him and Judy Rayis actually were the MVPs of the show because Judy had to tackle all of the dramatic stuff, you know what I mean, Her character felt everything. She was the nurse, she was the mother of the hospital. And Ken Jenkins, his character was the evil dad or the you know what I mean the grandpa who was just over it all and was like, I just you know, I want this hospital to make money. We're broke, and all that matters is if their insurance is going to pay for it. If it's if they're not, get them out of here because we're we're broke. We got no dough. And I thought to make those two to make that character lovable is a really really, really hard thing to do, and he did it effortlessly, it seemed like in my eyes. And and same thing with Judy, you know what I mean. Judy would played a role that was definitely needed in this band of misfits. She played this character that was just motherly and took care of you know, Bambi came from that. That's that that stuck throughout the whole show. You being called Bambi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I noticed that. Her very first line that comes out of her mouth is calling me Bamby. I didn't I didn't know that. It's I didn't remember that. But that's stuck for the whole run of the show. And of course people will still call me that on the street when I'm past them, but uh, her very first line is calling me Bambi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. And it was it was just we knew what we were there to do. We're here to be funny, and we're here to make everybody laugh, and you know, and and at times we're gonna get dramatic and everything like that. But Judy and Ken had the tough roles. In my opinion, you knew Judy was supposed to make everybody feel safe. Ken was supposed to make everybody feel anger, you know what I mean, in this in this crazy world. And they did it so perfectly.
Speaker 1: And and Ken had a lot of the you know, social commentary that Bill was trying to get in there about how fucked up the healthcare system is and how how how fucked up it is that hospitals are like no insurance, get them out of here, like you know, what do you like? Right away in the pilot. Of course, these issues are so relevant today more than ever. But right away in the pilot you have them going, look, I don't care that you know nothing. Let me tell you a couple of things. If they don't have insurance, get him out of here, and uh and and and and Bill geniusly found a way to make that. And of course Ken Jenkins is an actor. Together, they found a way to make that character so lovable even though he was a he was the antagonist. Yeah, I want to talk about thirteen minutes in thirty eight seconds. I'm looking at a still of you making out with Judy. Reyis right, and Todd in the frame I have up. Todd is watching because it's part of the fantasy.
Speaker 2: Who going?
Speaker 1: So what was it like?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I think people who aren't actors are always curious what it's like when you meet someone. Hey, nice to meet you, and then all of a sudden you have to just go do a fake makeout scene with them.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was the first day I met Judy too, and really, yeah, I feel like that was our first scene together and I hadn't you know, I remember me. I don't remember Neil at the table read. I don't remember Judy. I don't remember Ken at the table read. I remember meet you Johnny and Sarah for some reason, and so when we did the makeout scene, I feel like that was my I know, it's not the first day I met her. That's my first real memory of Judy, you know what I mean? And I remember she smoked cigarettes right before the scene and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, Ah, that's a power move, that's a power move.
Speaker 2: That's how you do it. But I realized that's how you do it. If you're gonna make out with somebody, make it so they got to work, and not make it so it's them having a great time making out. No, this is a job, dude, This is this isn't this isn't you getting your rocks off while we're doing this scene.
Speaker 1: It's funny to think about someone smoking like I mean, I don't do you know any I mean, it's rare to see anyone smoking cigarettes at all anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh No, there are a lot of people that still smoke cigarettes. Now vaping has turned into the work.
Speaker 1: I like vaping, of course, but just the idea that Judy was, I guess a smoker when we started.
Speaker 2: I was a smoker when we started. I spoke that's started.
Speaker 1: And Neil was always a smoker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we started doing the show, I think a lot of a smoke cigarette. I mean in the cast maybe you, Sarah and Johnny and Ken didn't, but everyone else did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't remember that.
Speaker 2: And then us doing the kissing stuff and then watching the episode and none of that made the show. Really, all it is is me, we're kind of cuddled up together. We're kind of cuddled up together, and uh, and Rob's over us watching. But I remember doing the scene if feeling way more intimate than that, you know what I mean, way more you know what I mean, and then watching it being like, oh, they didn't use any other other good stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it's a really quick moment. And I love that she's I love that you're naked, and she's like, all right, thanks, I'm out. I thought that was a cool introduction of her character.
Speaker 2: She was like, and I also and I also liked that your imagination was me scoring in reality, the real what really happened was I got played and then got turned into you know, I got you know, I stripped down for someone.
Speaker 1: Right, And she was like she got you know, she just wanted to make out with someone and be like later and she like she was like she kind of like used you, whereas in my imagination you were using her.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was clever. Yeah, I wanted to just talk about that. It's going backwards. But that deer in headlight thing, I still have the foam antlers. I'm staring at them right now from that that fantasy where I imagine I'm a deer in headlights, and and what we had to do was they backed the macup, the big semi, right up to my face. And the idea was for the that the truck would floor it in reverse and and then we'd play it and then we'd play it backwards right so it looked like it was And then of course it hit a mannequin too, but for this one shot, and I remember standing there with my face against the grill of a of a Mack truck and being like leaning out to the driver, being like you sure it's in reverse, right, Like like there had to be some OSHA rule against that, but I but I was like standing there going if this dude, Like I don't want to cause any waves or anything, but I just want to double check you're in reverse. We have finally saving a life. Oh, we have a loma. We should about a loma, right, the beautiful and talented Loma right who played the nurse Roberts.
Speaker 2: Nurse Roberts, who who whose introduction in the show is you know amazing? Can you just call him so I can go home? Please?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can you just call him? Trying? She's so good and and a Loma was one of the again another example of someone who Bill just loved and thought was so talented, and she you know, ended up being in the whole the whole show until he eventually killed her off, felt bad and brought her back as her twin sister, which we'll get to that and later Vern again podcast Laverne.
Speaker 2: Again again, I'm gonna call you Laverne again.
Speaker 1: So we were thinking of like trying to summarize what the lesson of the episode was, But I mean, I think the episode, the lesson of the of the pilot was basically the theme song, which is I can't do this all on my own, right, I mean right.
Speaker 2: It's the introduction of how difficult it is to be a doctor in a hospital and how the medical staff at a hospital really depends on each other there to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think, I mean, I don't think it's a big leap to say that a lot of people related the show because they can see that on their own lives and how you turn to your friends and your family. I mean, I think the show can be, as we all know, can be very very heartwarming, and that was what Bill did so geniusly was how it'd be so funny and crazy and silly and fantasies and everything, and then all of a sudden you can turn a corner and you're losing a patient like I did at the end, or or you see that our friendship is so so sure.
Speaker 2: It's still solid, also conquering fear, you know what I mean. JD was so afraid to do everything. As a matter of fact, him and Elliott hide in a closet at one point and doctor Cox catches them doing it and understands why they're afraid. But then at the end of the show still gives j D the confidence to perform whatever it is you did with the tube and the blood and all of that stuff, something that you know JD was very afraid of, and made him feel like he was going to be okay. And he was, and he had a support group around him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's it. That's that's the pilot. I think we just we just did it. We did our first podcast. I love you and I love you so much.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, if you're a fan and you made it to the end, thank you. We want we're gonna keep doing this. We want you to watch the show with us. We're gonna do this every week and and you can just join us, tell your friends, and every week we're gonna go through another episode, and we're gonna take a fan question. If you have a fan question, Donald, we have set up a Gmail account the iHeart people.
Speaker 2: Have, right, and that account is That account.
Speaker 1: Is scrubsiheart at gmail dot com. So scrubs and then I heart at gmail dot com and so said, thank you. We want you to submit questions and then are our beautiful producers here will will work out all logistics and and we'll have you on. We're gonna take a question each podcast. We're gonna have guests on. We're gonna start having fellow cast Members're gonna obviously gonna have our creator of the show, Bill Lawrence on. Who else we're gonna have on Donald, some of.
Speaker 2: The my goodness, we're going after, you know, even some of the people that you remember but don't know, like Snoop Dogg. In turn, we're gonna reach out to him. We're already head did he already.
Speaker 1: Snoop dog intern already slid into my DMS and I.
Speaker 2: Mick had already said he's down. We're gonna even have that we're gonna have the stand ins on the show who did a lot of the work that you see, uh before we went in and did it set up the shots they you know, So it's gonna be a bunch of people writers, We're gonna have uh, directors everything. Hopefully we could get some big names too.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Scott Foley would come on and we could just say nobody cares Sean over and nobody Sean nobody cares. So follow Donald and I on Instagram and Twitter and please tell your friends because we hope this is is a big success. Because for us this was I don't know about you, Donald, but this was a lot of fun. I kind of don't want to stop talking, but I feel like.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely should. This was actually the you know I talk about Clueless as the jump off point in my life where I was introduced to the industry and I learned a lot of things. But Scrubs was really like the you know, that was the thing that took it over the top for me as an actor, where I had an actual job where I was able to you know, pay my rent and I built a family because I was able to be a part of this wonderful show. So you know, I owe a lot to you, Zach, I owe a lot to Bill Lawrence. I owe a lot to the cast and the crew of this of Scrubs. So I'm really excited to talk about it with fans who enjoyed the experiences that we had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as always, I agree with everything you said, And as always, thank you for being our fans, and thank you for supporting the show. It was a joy, boy to make it for you and Donald. I hate this quarantining. I just want to be with you all the time. I want to know there.
Speaker 2: Will be a day again, Hopefully there will be a day again where you and I can eagle.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to ride you.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's how we should end. Shoul we end with that? Now, let's end with that. Don't say, don't speak, don't speak, Let's just stand with that. Goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 3: Here's some stories I'm not sure we made about a bunch of dogs and nurses and said, he's a story. Yea, yea,