Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 2: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 3: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell, Casino w and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See dkg dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are upun us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace Playoff Basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices, views from your seat, the lord's price guarantee game time. Take it the guests work out of buying tickets. Save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the lower price guaranteed or game time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guests work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out. Creat an account, use code nightcap twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account redeem code nightcap nigt caap for twenty dollars off. Download game time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us. Thank you for staying up late and joining us for another episode of Nightcap. I am your favorite Uncle Shanna Sharp, and your top left is your favorite Number eighty five, rop Runner, Extraordinary Bengals, Ring of Fame, Honoree Pro Bowler, All Pro all the Way from Liberty City. He's Chad O Cho Sinko, Risotto Johnson and in your bottom up under me, he's your favorite Number zero, Arizona Wildcat, Legend, Washington Wizard Great He's Gilbert Habachi Arenas. Thank you again for joining us. Thank you guys for selling out shay By Laportier. We're taking pre orders. We're going to be able to clear up all outstanding orders in the very near future, so thank you for your patience. Please make sure you go follow my media pages on all platforms, Shay Shed Media and my clothing company eighty four. Both handles are listed below. We'd also like for you to subscribe to Gill's Arena channel on YouTube. He has a show that airs every Monday through Thursday live at eleven thirty am Pacific time. That's Gil's Arena channel on YouTube. His show airs every Monday through Thursday live at eleven thirty am Pacific time. Please also make sure you subscribe to his personal YouTube page, no Chill Gill. His personal YouTube page is no Chill Gill. Again, thank you guys for staying up with us late and joining us for another episode of Nightcap. Let's get right into it, guys. The Mavericks go on the road and beat the Thunder one O four to ninety two. They got thirty point triple double from Luka Dantic PJ. Washington had ten points, ten rebounds. Jones had nineteen points, Daniel Gafford had nine points, seven rebounds.
Speaker 2: Kyrie had twelve points.
Speaker 1: They got eleven points and ten rebounds from Derek Lively, the second off the bench, as they outrebound the OKCE Thunder by thirteen and they win the game on the road.
Speaker 2: Gil, Let's start with you first.
Speaker 1: What did you like what impressed you the most about what you saw with the Mavericks going on the road and getting this win. I mean it was a big win for them. It showed, you know, it showed professionalism. It shows why Luca and Kyrie are stars in this league, right.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of superstars or.
Speaker 1: Star players, franchise guys, they would have folded, you know, to how they lost last game.
Speaker 2: But you know the bounce back. Luca was excellent today, Kyrie was solid.
Speaker 1: And you know they came out and Will Will willed their team to this wind tonight. Yeah, I agree with everything you said, considering how they lost that ball game, had an eight point lead with probably like three minutes.
Speaker 2: To go, and they gave that game up.
Speaker 1: They really should be getting ready to celebrate going to the Western Conference Finals, but they have to go home and try to close it out game six. And if I'm Jason Kidd, I'm not saying, Look at guys, I'm not coming back to OKC until next time. So get your mind ready to play. Oho, you know what I'm saying, Get your mind ready to play. Let's close this issh out Saturday night and get ready for the Western Conference Finals. Ojo, what did you like about what you saw? What did you like what you saw from the Mavericks tonight?
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, each night, each game is so it's somebody different. Obviously, Luken's going to do what he does. Kyrie contributed a little bit past two games, maybe the past three games. PJ Washington played extremely well. But instead of PJ watching the night, hell, goddamned Derek Jones Junior. He had nineteen points. And Luca did what he did. And Shae, I don't want to say his name wrong, Shade sail shake gil Ga all right, Atga, he need a little bit help, He need a little bit more help. Shat did what he could, but the supporting cast that Shay has isn't enough to offset the contribution.
Speaker 5: And with the MAVs give each game each night.
Speaker 1: You know what, Gil when you watch, you look at this game. Had had the Mavericks not been careless with the basketball, had all those turnovers, this game wasn't supposed to be closing. They shot fifty almost fifty three percent from the floor, They shot forty percent from the three point line, They out rebounded them by thirty by thirteen rebounds. But it was the turnovers they got them in trouble. If they don't turn the ball over like they did, this ball game probably over what about six minutes to go in the ball game, because when Luca hit that three put them up eighteen, I thought, for all intents and purposes, it was over after that.
Speaker 2: And then the next thing, you know, the thunder go on.
Speaker 1: What a ten to oh run an eleven ozer run and all of a sudden they make it a ball game because the Nuggets, you know, excuse me, the nugget Nuggets. The Mavericks got balled down. Lucas started holding the ball, shooting the ball with one second run your offense.
Speaker 2: I understand you want to run time off.
Speaker 1: You don't want to take a quick shot, but I don't think you know, you just holding the ball, patting the ball, and then all of a sudden you hot potato.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing. But give them credit.
Speaker 1: Give the Mavericks credit for going on the road winning this ball game, especially how they lost that ball game. What didn't you like about what you saw from the thunder gill? What I didn't like is they settle and you know, I don't know if it's like this. In football and basketball, you have two styles of play, right, you have your home play and your road play right, right, Usually your road game is a little more relaxed, patient, right, you pick your spots and then at home you're more free. Well, that cost them that tonight shooting forty three. This is not a team that usually chucks threes when they're off right. The fact that they took forty threes as ten for forty. That's the game right there, right, you didn't get to the free throw line. You usually you guys are getting to the free throw line, you know, putting the team, you know, because they have a small team, right, they're not they're not very tall, you know, especially when they take Shet out right, so you usually are used to your athleticism to get down lott, get a little you know, easy lay up some free throws. So the fact that you didn't get to the free throw line let you know that you was too confident and too lacks of days ago at the home where you should have been really like, we're not gonna shoot threes early. We're really gonna beat him download, like like you know, kind of like when the Lakers and the Lakers are playing small teams, they usually just try to you know him download and that's what they usually do on the road. So it's like, ah, this is one of those games where you just can't just took a whole bunch of threes up. Yeah, forty threes. That's not the Thunders game. Ten of forty twenty five percent from the floor. They only shot ten free throws. A team that normally tacks the basket you got Shae gill just he's constantly putting pressures pressure on you. Jalen Williams did not have this finals out. He needed to play better. They can't win with him having twelve points. Chick Hogan had thirteen, you get Lou Dort had twelve, and you get Josh Getty who came up the bench for the first time. He had eleven points. You need Jalen Williams. If Shae Shane's given you thirty points, damn near every game Gil, I think, with the exception of one game he had twenty nine, but he's given you He's doing all he can. Jayleen Williams, you're the second best player. You need to give them around twenty points. You've got to give them twenty and then if Check give you anywhere between thirteen and eighteen, you live with that.
Speaker 2: You take whatever you can get from Lou Dort.
Speaker 1: But you know you're asking a lot from Lou because he's exerting a lot of energy trying to keep Luca in check. That's asking an awful lot because Luca, with all that hurkey jerky movement, you know he gonna post you up, He's gonna put his should into your chest. He's gonna cause you a lot of problems. So if lou Dort, can you give me ten twelve points considering the amount of energy that I'm asking him to exert to try to keep Luca under control, I can live with that. But you knew Luca, We all knew Gil. In order for the Mavericks to win, Lucas Gota had to be more efficient. He can't shoot. He can't shoot ten for twenty seven. He can't shoot nine of twenty two. He can't be like that. He's too good. And I thought tonight, I thought he did a great job of attacking. He kept pressure on him. Twelve or twenty two from the floor plus fifty percent, another thirty toe triple double five O eleven from three. That's the kind of effort that you need from him. And then you got twelve points from Kyrie, you got nineteam from Dereck Jones Junior, you got Tampa PJ. Washington Lively comes off the bench and gives you eleven off so and double digit rebounds.
Speaker 2: When you go on the road, you.
Speaker 1: Need to have five or six guys in double figure if you want to win the ball game. Yeah, I think also Jason Kidd, you can't well, I'm not just kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Okay, you can't bring that now.
Speaker 1: You can't change your lineup in the middle of the playoffs. Yeah, right, people are not mentally prepared for that.
Speaker 2: Right. There's no way Gideon was prepared to come off the bench tonight.
Speaker 1: Right, that's one of those we're in the middle of the playoffs. We got here this way. You just can't spring it on me mentally.
Speaker 6: That does something to a player, Right, you're playing but twelve minutes tonight, But how you played him twelve twelve minutes, twelve minutes and he where he went five of eight and he's he played better than the start of you put in from him, like so well, things like that.
Speaker 1: It's you can't do it, Gil. When you say you can't do that because the guy is not prepared mentally, that strikes me as a panic move because you're tied two too. Now, if you're.
Speaker 2: Down, Gil, if you're down two to one, you're down three to two.
Speaker 1: Okay, all hands on deck, but you tied it's even serious and you're at home. That's that strikes me as a panic move. Anytime you do anything, especially in this late in the playoffs. It's gonna it's gonna send. It's gonna put my alarm bells up. And I think Jason kids said, hold on man, y'all panic. Y'all hadn't done a move like this all year, y'all the number one seed, because you've been steady, and all of a sudden you tied to two coming back home and you do this now if you're down three two and you coming home, I get it. Go ahead, o Yoe.
Speaker 4: I mean, isn't there a reason that they had Isaiah Joe start over Josh Giddy? Is that something schematically or something some type of tactic that they thought would help what better defensively or offensively? But it just didn't pan out the way it should because from an offensive standpoint, shit, Isaiah Joe only had six goddamn points. So what was the reason for starting him in the first place.
Speaker 1: Well, I think because Jeddy was getting off the slow starts. He wasn't giving you the kind of production that he gave you in the regular season. I don't have this regular season numbers in front of me, but I just know his postseason numbers haven't been up to snuff, and so they're saying like we need better production. But that's not I mean you're counting on Isaiah Joe to give you better production. I mean he's a guy that comes off the bench. Because now you got to understand Gil and I think we know o Jo, we can talk speak to this. In football, it's one thing to be the third receiver and then you come in and you're going against the third or fourth corner. It's another thing to be the number one or number two receiver and you're going against the number one and the number two corner. So now Isaiah Joe is going to get starters and not the backups. So he's going to get starters and not other role players. So you're asking him to be what he hasn't been this season. Now, who knows down the road, he might be a guy. But I agree with Gil. That struck me as a panic move for the simple fact, and I'm like, I'm looking at him, like, bro.
Speaker 2: It's two two.
Speaker 1: This is not a situation where you're okay, I'm down three to oh, I'm down three to one. I'm down three two. Okay, Hey man, we can't lose another game. Cause, Bro, if we lose another game, it's over.
Speaker 2: But this and your home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's I said, it's It's one of those things. Man, I've seen it. I've seen it kill players mentally before the game where coaches is like, all right, look, we're gonna we're gonna bring you off the bench tonight and just to.
Speaker 2: See all the hope.
Speaker 1: Move out of his body, like Okay, he's gonna be useless now. Now the guy you're bringing in, he doesn't lose nothing their game nothing, right, he's gonna give you what he's gonna give you.
Speaker 2: What you just lost is your loss.
Speaker 1: Now production from one guy because you took him from starting to the bench.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, get he.
Speaker 1: Played well, but he could have did that as a starter. He's six eight, six ' nine with his shoes on, bigger guy. He's more of your point guard for Shaye to be. The two See, they decided they want to bring in a shooter. They wanted to bring in a shooter, a flat out shooter that can spread. Well, he's your point guard for you for Shaye to do what Shade does.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But there's a reason Shade gets to play Shade because there's a guy out there that's that's being unselfish for everybody to play the way they're playing. So you take him out of the starting lineup, you start off slow as a team. Forget him right at you know, the first couple of games, he's starting off slow, but everybody else is playing well. Now the team is starting off slow, right, He played well when he came in. Yeah, And that's the thing, because when you got Giddy and you got somebody else that can initiate the offense instead of Shake Shape, Shae gonna beat Shape. But Shadey, you didn't give Shane break. I mean you had him play. He played what forty forty three minutes tonight, So you needed somebody because really, look at Shae. Shae had eight rebounds. The next highest was Lou Door. But we've seen Giddy. We know Giddy get it. It can get your triple double. So you needed somebody to take that load. It just struck me as a panic move when I saw the switch in the lineup Isaiah Joe. But but I also but if I'm not mistaken, I think they did this the other day too, Gil. I think this is not the first I think, if I'm not mistaken, I think this happened and and and and Dallas after they lost game three, because remember the mass beat them game two, then won game three, and the head coach felt that he needed a little bit more production from his starters. So I just it's just hard when you when you give you wasn't the number one seed. You're the number one seed with the starting lineup. Wait, okay, see one game one, Dallas one, Game two, Dallas three three. So yes, game two that they lost game three when they tried to yes, just stop. Wait, you know, sometimes we can't overthink it.
Speaker 4: They got to stick with work. It worked during the regular season. It got you to the point is the reason where you were, you were number one. Stay with you, stay with what you know. But obviously, I guess the coach might have been frustrated but not getting enough production out of out of gidea. You felt maybe let's make a change in the middle of it. If it worked and they won tonight, then we'd be praising them. But the fact that it didn't work and it is what it is now. Now now you gotta do it die. Now, you gotta do it die. You either going either if you gonna force a game what seven?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: You force a game seven? You're going to Cancun one of the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you look at the kind of production that he gave you with those eleven minutes. So maybe maybe what if he gives you those in the beginning and not when they're down like they were down Gil, because you know, you look at it like it had eleven points. But what if he gives you those eleven points in the first in the first half where it's nipped up, and you don't go down nine, you don't go down twelve, you don't go down eighteen. Like you said, it's easy to say, oh, hoe nine. Hindsight, it's a magnificent sight because you know the outcome. Haven't done what you've done. But like you said, had it worked out, everybody would have called him a genius and say, see, now you know why he won Coach of the Year.
Speaker 2: Right in facts well three two series, they can pick number one seed.
Speaker 1: For the thirdid secutive year and the sixth time in the past eight years, the Celtics have advanced to the Eastern Conference Final. Boston plays the winner of the next Indy Series. Jason Tatum did a bit of everything. Twenty five points, ten rebounds, nine assists, four steals, three Mads threes. Al Horford twenty two points, six May threes, fifteen rebounds, five assists, three blocks, Derrick White siding eighteen points, four May threes, five rebounds, six assis, six assists. Donovan Mitchell, Karris LeVert, Jared Allen all miss tonight's elimination game. Give those guys credit because they fought to the very end. Reports some member of the Cavs were frustrated with Allen after he refused an injection to try to numb the pain and play through the real of injury. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, he's supposed to tell us he's supposed to take that quarters on shot. Man, you gotta go ahead and say, everybody ain't built the same gial. I mean you, I've taken it. I'm damn the playoffs. I've taken that shot the regular season game. So you know what I'm gonna do to get into the game getting to the playoffs, because you understand, how f you ain't no guarantees, not with the playoffs. I can see if I got missed, if I got missed a regular season game, I'm like, damn, bro, you know we only got sixteen of these things.
Speaker 2: But a postseason game be ready to go. He's ready to go up.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, yeah, this vacation time. Man, when without Spider yeh, y'all can't witness man man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get it. I mean, Ojo, We've seen it.
Speaker 1: I mean guys like you see some guys shooting up, taking tordof, shooting up ankles, shooting up shoulders, shooting up, elbow shooting, you know everything. You try to go out there and play, I mean listen, and then you see some guys.
Speaker 2: Nah, man, I don't I don't believe it. I don't believe in them needles. Hey, listen it all you smoke bore, weed and anything. Why not do it?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Yo?
Speaker 1: Love?
Speaker 2: You're talking about you don't believe in no needles.
Speaker 4: It all come down to how much does it mean to you, how important, how important it is to you. I'm sure at some point he's been in before, at some point he's taking the toytoll, whether it be the pill or whether it be the shot. I just think mentally he just wasn't there and he wasn't taking it.
Speaker 1: For sure, he was right like you consist that in the games, man, where when you're in the playoffs, you're down three two three one.
Speaker 2: Listen, I get to go home tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I go on vacation tomorrow versus preparing getting then getting ready for Boston again on Friday or Saturday.
Speaker 2: I can be on vacation right right.
Speaker 1: And when you're on that that when you're in that game trying to figure out who's coming.
Speaker 2: With you, you consist it just the way he come in the locker room. Yeah, he gon, he go, he doing it out of here, He out of here.
Speaker 1: Hey, I accept everything to come with it, you know, hey, man, look to see the concussion.
Speaker 2: I understood. I understand is called assumption of the risk.
Speaker 1: You go to the ballpark, you expect the ball to fly from the stand, so you need to play attention. So if you get you get hit in the head with the ball. Can you eat the hot dog or dragging a coat? Sure, you're mad at I understood. So I was all my hips, my knees. If I had a chance to do it all over again, you know what I'm doing, O Joe, I'm taking my black ass right back out there and do it again when I had an opportunity, you know, the disability when guys would take advantage that, The same thing that a big baby that was doing. I said, bro, I don't want no part of that. I said, Bro, I knew what I was getting into. They told me, say, you know shanning long term. I said, Man, I don't tell me nothing, no long term. Hell, I ain't promised tomorrow. I'm worried about today, and that way if tomorrow, if I see tomorrow, like damn, I probably shouldn't have did that, But I'm good with it.
Speaker 2: Once you advise me.
Speaker 1: I'm big boy now because I throw all that away to make sure my family, my grandma, my kids, that they got it. I ain't even worried about me that thought.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: You never even crossed my mind, No, Joe, I was in a situation that they were comfortable. Man, I take shots every every game, and I did ninety three ninety four. I was shooting on my ankles down there every game. Damn yeah, hell yeah, man. I got to get it up out there. My grant is comfortable, and I got air conditioned. And we ain't gotta deal. We ain't gotta deal water out the washing machine. We ain't gotta hang clothes on the fence or the clothesline. We gotta wash the drive bad Please, I wish I might Gil, what we got nice? We got nice feat My grandma ain't got a bag Peeve and Okren and all that stuff and keep it in the deep freezing all that stuff bad. Please, y'all got a lot of insurance money when y'all when y'all when y'all retired.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all know what insurance money.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, like what they got in trouble for with Big Baby and some of the football players. Nah, I mean, yeah, if you try to scam the system and talking about you got disability.
Speaker 2: But I ain't want no part of that, Gill.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got about I got about what five hundred, six hundred thousand dollars to use.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna use my six five seventy because I know, I know, I know I'm gonna go limp at some point and money to get.
Speaker 2: It back up. I'm telling you need my knees on my ankle so that.
Speaker 1: Gil, if they got it, I would wait till out about seventy so I would give me some meat extension.
Speaker 2: Oh Joe, you gotta be smart on this one. I'm gonna use my insurance for the right stuff about thirty. Oh Joe, what i'mbout useing for a thirty six.
Speaker 5: You're right, I'm listen, I'm with you. I'm with you when I'm with you, when you're.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm off. Look, I got it. I got tenth a nineties, I got all kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, I got about thirty more years, and I can go ahead and depend on this one.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah now, but I for me the stuff like certain things Lon Joe, I just I'm just not built like that. Yeah, And for like like, I'm very fortunate. God really blessed me that I played fourteen years. I was able to take care of my money. I went right to CBS, got a job, left CEBs, was out of sea best for two years, went the Fox, stayed there for seven years, and then we kind of started our own thing, had Club Shay Shape, and then O Joe, you and I started our thing. We brought Gil along, and so now I'm back. I got two days a week with first take. I'm good. You know what I tell my kids, My kids said damn, because they know I'm in the stock market. They're like, Damn, Daddy, I guess you've lost some money today. I said, no, I ain't lose no, money. Y'all lost money because Daddy good. That's y'all money that the stock market played weird. Daddy Good. Yeah, y'all better hope the stock market keep going up cause daddy daddy gonna be Okay, that's y'all money. Me I'd rather see because I understand. Okyo, you've been around, You've seen the guys. And I don't know how you go to the super Bowl event, but when I used to go, and I see the old guys that played in the fifties to sixties and seven, and I see how they get around. Man, I couldn't even good conscious because I know there are guys that try to get it the insurance and can't, and there's some jackass over here try to defraud it. Nah. I can't even get down with them like that. Man, I can't. I can't even take it. I don't need it. I'm good. You know what I said. I'll pay it out of my pocket. Wait, Nah, y'all don't have like just a car that has your insurance on it. No, we got a car that just has money on it. That's what they were using.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: No, Gil, you get insurance for five years and you get to determine when you use it. So for me, I retired at thirty five, so at the age of forty, my insurance through the NFL was done. So all my kids, I'm paying out of my pocket for me. I'm paying out of my pockets for my kids. But that's so I'm good. I can live with that. I would rather do that than to try to skim and and somebody else get turned down because people like and me, I'm trying to defraud the system. I'm good, Like I said, God bless me. That's just the way I think. Oh no, no, no, no, no, I was out of insurance NFL insurance at the age of forty year. Oh yeah, no, our is we die right, we go, so our money runs out.
Speaker 2: That's we don't have no time limit.
Speaker 4: Y'all need to say five five, yeah, five years after you've done playing.
Speaker 5: That's it. It's a rapper.
Speaker 2: But you could take it.
Speaker 1: No, no, you could take it whenever you want to. So you can wait. Say okay, because think about it. If you play five let's just say, the average NFL career is it's three years. So a guy that comes to the league at twenty two, he done it twenty five so now he takes his insurance from twenty five to thirty. Now he lived to be seventy two, he got forty two years. He got to do fin fin for himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So no, no, no, no, no, And so that's what I that's what I got upset about the players. I'll say, guys, y'all keep talking about oh less practice less, Paddy practice. Man, y'all need to try to get some lifetime benefits because everybody gonna be making Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow money.
Speaker 2: What about them?
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, you know they look at them guys like, oh, man, man, I get me a signing bonus. Okay, that sound good because I remember them some games not that same bullge ez. Because when I first got your legal jo, there was no free agency, and man, and we were talking about, said, man, what about insurance. Man, I ain't never had no insurance before. So hell, we had to pick and choose. You had to have your head, damn the chopped out for you with to the doctor. You weren't going to the doctor. My grandma put some cab web and some golls over there, and you.
Speaker 2: Good to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I remember having a conversation with the guys said, guys, man, we need to batter. What about some lifetime benefit? You know what the guy said? And there are a lot of prominent people that thought like this, man, you give me a million dollar sign the bonus, I buy.
Speaker 2: My own insurance.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay that that sounded good at the time.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Now I'm saying, hey, know what I'm saying. Some of them saying, oh, man, man, the NFL, they do you wrong. They didn't because you said it, they give you a million dollars sign the bonus, because what guys wasn't making money back then. Guys wasn't making money like that. I mean when I got your league. I think John that was making like two million dollars.
Speaker 2: A year.
Speaker 1: Got that. I mean, and he was one of that, one of like the five highest paid players and didn't make it two million dollars. Man, you give me a million dollars a sime bro I'm straight, yeah, wrong, do y'all understand? How how like if you got a wife and you got three kids, million dollars because you already know how they living on. Joe gone, nobody living like you grew up.
Speaker 5: Out of the door, out the door.
Speaker 1: Man, I just like I said, but I don't look and said I, Oh, yo, were different because I never wanted to go back to the situation that I was in. I never wanted to eat what I had to eat, and so I'm willing to do anything.
Speaker 2: To stay out of that city. Wish you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: As far as help if I need to shoot up ankle hey, I shot up both shoulders out of shot up ribs until I was like, hey man, that thing got to pay shoot up the rib gil the thing. I was like, I have to fight through. I'm gonna fight through this one. I mean on my shoulders. I couldn't even I couldn't raise my arms. I'm like broing around like Frankenstein. I had they put that medicine in there. Oh Joe, I can do jumping jack Yeah. And then something then I remember, I remember I cracked back on running a lot. My whole body seized up. I was out of that thing in the third quarter though. All right, guys, it's time for our first segment of the night, and it's called a news cap.
Speaker 2: News cap.
Speaker 1: JJ Reddick is reportedly the early favorite to land the Lakers head coaching Mark Stein reported the Lakers, John might be as well his to lose in the interview process as front office ramps up at search. Reddick does not have any coaching experience. He's worked as an analyst for ESPN and build a podcast network since the re retirement from the NFL Excuse the NFL NBA in twenty twenty one. While some express confusion that Reddick's desire for a head coaching role giving his media success, he said his competitive drive is not being satisfied at the moment.
Speaker 2: Gil what you think, like, it's a great opportunity, but it's short lived.
Speaker 1: Right, So if you just go on to coach just to put it on your resume, right, do your thing. But if you're talking about longevity of coaching, coaching the Lakers is not it.
Speaker 2: No, coaching Lebron himself is not it.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Remember everybody who's coach Lebron has been winners because Lebron has been a winner, So they've had winning records. Everyone Blade in, ty Luke shit TYLERU won a championship, Lebron left.
Speaker 2: Six games later without.
Speaker 1: Lebron, he got fired fire these games later boom, right, so you got you know, Luke Walton, he had.
Speaker 2: A winning record.
Speaker 1: I mean before he got there, you had Frank you know, uh, he had a winning record, won a championship.
Speaker 2: He out of there. Now you had a budle Gill.
Speaker 1: Remember how I remember how Loot with thirty nine a board with Golden State.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, he can go for real. Then you got Darren Ham who hasn't winning.
Speaker 1: Record out of there. So there's no long jeopardy in this this job. So you know it's one of those things, is you just want to put it on your resume. I was a Lakers coach and I can get another job after this. If that's the play, then go ahead and do your thing.
Speaker 6: If not, you you you wait for the right opportunity.
Speaker 4: But you know what you think I mean now that you say that, when you talk about the right opportunity, how many opportunities like this? For bent his self to coach a historic franchise, winning franchise, did that like the LA Lakers? When I think about players that have played that also coach, using football as an analogy similar to that of Jeff Saturday, what can Jeff Saturday get out of those players? When you went to the coach a player's coach, a player that understands understands the players as a coach. I think about the same thing with JJ Redick. What person or personnel could you add as a coach for the Lakers that will get the most out of the players. Some of that played the game, some of that understands the game, some of that I think Lebron would want as a coach who understands what the players are going through, understands the stuff that they need to do game by game.
Speaker 5: And I think it's a good look.
Speaker 4: And when you say it's not a good look for him, he should wait for the right opportunity. Well, this is I think an opportunity like this probably won't present itself again to be able to coach for a historic franchise like this. So you got to take that job, even if it is short lived, because I think JJ Reddick is one that can get the most out of the players that are there. Even though he has no experience, You're bringing another coach that has experienced. Hell, he his career there is gonna be short lived as well, just like everybody else, so JJ might as well just take it.
Speaker 1: Well, look here, let's be all the way one thousand with this thing. This like just like Dayton Kim Kardashian. You already know she's gonna break up with you, but she's still Kim Kardashian. That's still the Lakers job that you know they're gonna fire your ass after two years. Yep, but guess what that's still coaching the Lakers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta take it.
Speaker 2: So, Okay, I rolled it down.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got two years out of it, got me a couple of pat Jacks, got be a gotta be a Lambeau truck.
Speaker 2: You know I'm fare.
Speaker 1: I went to the met gallup. Yeah, I did it up big, Okay, I already know I would get the boot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then what it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's personal for me because I was I was JJ's teammate, and I don't feel.
Speaker 2: Like killing him next year, that's all, man, Don't. I don't because I gotta do what I gotta do.
Speaker 1: He's the coach, So I gotta kill a coach when they're doing bad.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'll try to be easy on him.
Speaker 1: But you know he is a good dude, very smart, right, he work says, he works his tail off, right, I used to when we play in Orlando.
Speaker 2: I've never seen someone outwork.
Speaker 1: Me well in the weight room. That was easy because I wasn't even trying to be any But like when he came to Cardio j J. Had put that thing on here, run for five to ten miles. He just put it on the tradill get to going right. So he was he was really fit, and I just never understood, like how do you just run like this?
Speaker 2: And it's like, that's what I do in the game. I got to be in shape, right.
Speaker 1: So he is a he's a student, so you know, it would be a great opportunity. I just don't want to kill him, and I don't want to see a good dude get fired. Hey, you already know what it is. I mean you going with the Lakers. I mean Frank Bogo won the title, ye had? They came back and I think they lost in what the second round, and then he ended up getting fired.
Speaker 2: I mean he ain't no long, ain't no like I said, They didn't no long tournament it. I mean.
Speaker 1: Nah like I said, I mean, how do you turn the job like that? How do you say no? How do you say no to the Steelers? How do you say no to the Giants? How do you say no to the Packers. How do you say no to one of these cornerstone franchise? Yeah, okay, how do you say no to the Knicks? How do you say no to the Celstic, to the Lakers? You don't say no to those franchises? Give you already know what it is. If I don't win, damn if I don't win, up out of there.
Speaker 2: Oh well, but you made me say it because I don't say no to hend so I.
Speaker 1: Know, damn well, I'm not saying no, no, You're right, y'all right, y'all got me, y'all right on that with you man, And like you said, the competition, I mean, look, what we try to do here is that we try to create and util You know, you have your own podcasts where I really appreciate oh you and I we appreciate you jumping over us on Wednesday Night. But you try to create and produce the best content you possibly can. But it's not the same as like I'm competing against you know, the Boston Celtics, or you're on the court and you're trying you're competing against another guy. We try to create the best content we possibly can. Are there a lot of people that do what we do sure, but I'm not in competition with them. Our competition is ourself. Can we do better than what we did the last show? Can we do better than what we did last week? How do we reinvent ourselves? You know, today I've dropped the pod with Cale Mitchell and if you haven't seen it, go check it out of Club shay Shape. But we had a live performance to start it off and a live performance to close it out. So I'm constantly c J and I ashing out. We're constantly trying to come up with ways how do we get better. We got to keep the pressure on because just when you think I'm over here, I ain't over there.
Speaker 2: I'm over there, man. I mean, that's that's the thing. You know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people get complacent with the success and think that you know everybody else is like, it's just like a race, right, Someone's chasing you.
Speaker 2: Right, So if you ain't, if you ain't.
Speaker 1: Turning it up or trying to turn it up, they gonna catch you at some point.
Speaker 2: And that's just that's just life.
Speaker 1: So you gotta always try to reinvent, keep moving because once someone sees you do something, they gonna do it.
Speaker 2: So you can be ready to do something else.
Speaker 1: So let them chase you, versus they see you do something, they try to tweak it.
Speaker 2: Do it better? Now you chasing your own idea, And that happens a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just Look, I'm just a player. I play. I don't care who the coach you.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Ojo, that's the way if I make it, if I make it, like some of these basketball players, hell y'all bring skyt Bree out there.
Speaker 2: She can coach me.
Speaker 1: I don't help her about that. Hey, I've tried. I got a job to do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Some of my people might think, like Shannon, what's your lowest Some of my lowest moments in my professional career. Two coaches got fired on my watch. Dan Reeves got fired, Way Phillips got fired. And there are a lot of times that I asked myself, well, Shannon, had you become what you later became, had you become that earlier, could you have saved those men their jobs?
Speaker 2: Because each guy believed in me.
Speaker 1: Dad Reeves drafted me and told me, say you're too big, too fast, too strong not to make a living for you.
Speaker 2: Now. He didn't think I was gonna turn out to be what I became.
Speaker 1: And you know I used to talk to him before he passed rection and sold Dan used to have a conversation, he says, Son, And he says, Son, I didn't know you turn out to be this, but I knew you could play in the league WAYE Phillips went and hired Jim Fossil, my first my offensive coordinated rest his soul and he put his office in. He said, Son, I'm gonna build an offense around your skill set behind number seven, which was Lway. You're the best player on this team, and I'm gonna build the offense around you. One of the first guys to have a tight had that was a tight end that had an offensive build around him.
Speaker 2: And those guys got fired on my watch.
Speaker 1: And I went to bed a many a night and I was like, I asked myself, had I become what I later became? Had I been that in year one, year two, year three? Could I have saved their job? And so it irks me when I see guys not busting their ass or say stuff negative about the coach. That irks me. It really does. Yeah, dang, but it is man. People talk about Scott Man. Go ahead on Man, y'all. See y'all, y'all, I said, you know who Scott Brie is?
Speaker 5: O Joe Scott reed, that is.
Speaker 2: Why you.
Speaker 5: Scott?
Speaker 2: Who is that? Who are that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know you know what I'm saying. She you know, you little fuck fuck?
Speaker 1: You know she might be famous for for vertical activity that he's good at.
Speaker 5: Oh she oh she she a hooper?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yo?
Speaker 1: Who she?
Speaker 5: Who's she played for? Who she played for? Who she played for?
Speaker 1: You know, she got a whole little fant you know, she said, y'all, man, y'all need to stop.
Speaker 2: Man, y'all need to stop, y'all be on that bull drive by who's play? Who's she played for? Who she played for?
Speaker 5: She played for?
Speaker 1: Yoh? You know, you know back in the day, you get the better old my team? She she for on her back. Oh so she played for on her back. And it might cost about fifteen hundred right now.
Speaker 2: With it right now? For fifteen hundred?
Speaker 5: Oh oh oh oh she wh she won them? She won them?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, okay, y'all, hey'all, y'all have me lost for a minute. Were talking basketball. I'm talking about Yeah, I'm talking about difficulty. I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: About right now, right now. She be the colon yokic of her, of herping sport.
Speaker 2: Her profession. Yeah she that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah oh oh she better than uh she better than Sarah j Yeah yeah yeah, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, I learned something.
Speaker 5: Hold on, let me write hold on, let me write that name down.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Hey, don't you write that name? Hold on?
Speaker 5: I got to do my homework. I got to do my homework.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 5: Oh, what's her name again? Purpose is Aubrey Skybury?
Speaker 4: She sounded like a Hooper because when you think about the sky Skybury, that's a perfect basketball name, too.
Speaker 1: Saying I mean you you you, you feel pretty good. You get a couple of baskets on that one. You're thinking, O Joe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, I'm I'm gonna tell i'mnna check it out, NA check it out?
Speaker 2: Man? What's tall?
Speaker 1: Be hot?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Somebody told her told me, but I don't know. Man, y'all must be thinking I'm something kind of pervert, some kind of Hey, she she ain't just not no more the Kobe of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh yo yo, yeah, time out of time out of time out time I'm confused.
Speaker 5: I'm confused.
Speaker 4: How is this individual that good and that experience and I know nothing about her?
Speaker 2: And she look good too.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I I typed her name. Man, it started off four guys.
Speaker 1: I'm like, damn, she she need a whole she need the whole team. She went out that y'all know how y'all know how I like my women. Wait, I let you know. It's it's one on one. I'm doing all. I'm all in the paint. I ain't doing another score to the paint. I ain't taking no four folk for at one time. Yeah, yeah, see there, yong. Hey, let's go ahead. We'll talk about Bronie at the NBA Combine. Okay, I know you want to play one on one. You're gonna be looking like Rudy Goldbert.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: Down there.
Speaker 1: See you already know. See you go into a situation like that. You already know, Oh Joe, Yeah, and I got that brush and hey, I don't Chinese shop and got that brush on them.
Speaker 2: So hey, it's over. Man. Look at the longest that be the longest see in history?
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, I see now, now y'all got me. I'm I'm I'm I gotta hey, mab he look up, Scott breed Man.
Speaker 2: You about getting the board, You about to get keeped out the house?
Speaker 4: Oh no, oh no, we hey listen, we we do our homework now and we try to find we we we watched stuff like watching film and we figure out things that we can actually do and bring home to the bedroom. So we we we like that. Ain't no problems, ain't no problem. So we're gonna gonna were gonna we're gonna study some of Scott bree film tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yess yeah, she better. She better than Oldbella Donna. She better than Bella Donna.
Speaker 5: Bella who mm hmm, don't don't do it. That's that's that's another name.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she's a little older, you little older Bella Donna.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bella Bella Donna.
Speaker 2: You know, fifty about fifty fifty something.
Speaker 5: Man, Oh, she's still she's still had action that fifty something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I hope.
Speaker 1: No, it's more, it's more control, it's more twenty twenty by herself.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, okay, But I used.
Speaker 1: To see, because I used to see you run up and down all this one on one by yourself.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's that's that's me. That's me. That's that's that's me. Yeah, that'd be.
Speaker 5: I like, I like this.
Speaker 4: I see this, And that's why I like Nightcare because the ship is so informative. It's so informant because y'all might improve certain areas of my life, you know, not even knowing me, not even knowing you improved certain areas of my life by bringing attention to things that I've never seen before that I can use at home and improve in certain areas like this. That's why I fucking love this ship. Yeah, I'm like, you know, ain't nothing like Ain't nothing like them? Now, you know, you cat, you catch the right one out there, yo, Joe, he goes listen, he he in the vintage mode.
Speaker 1: Like I know these names because I was ten eleven, you know with the squiggly line, right, but when the TV had a squiggly line and you might use the calls and you might see something.
Speaker 2: That's how I know those names.
Speaker 5: Ah Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know back in the day or back at you know what I'm saying. You know, back in the day, I don't I gotta you know, I gotta fath, I gotta faith, and y'all was like probably a thousand.
Speaker 2: Left hit me. You know what, I'm sair, I can't. I can't use them all up. Look at that. I got put a file a loud gore. You know, I got a file because I gotta say, I gotta spread them out. I can't be.
Speaker 4: Watching yeah, yeah, y'all boy, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I see when I'm home, I don't do a whole lot of talking. I only got so many breaths.
Speaker 5: Out right right right, he got time to be.
Speaker 2: Wasting time talking a whole I'm quiet. You know.
Speaker 1: I can't be looking at no no, no, no, no, no magazines and watching that no television only got so many left of you.
Speaker 2: Boy, I know that.
Speaker 1: Ronnie James at the com NBA coming by today, he had a team high thirteen points yeah on four to ten shooting twenty three minutes. Lebron was in attennis along with his lovely wife Savannah and general manager Rob Palincoa. Ronnie also compared this game to players like Holiday, Daveyon, Mitchell. Jack White says he wants to impact winning that way. Yeah, kill you watched the last two days of you saw the shooting clinic that he had from the three point line. What do you like and what do you think his ceiling is? Excuse me, what do you think? Jor what?
Speaker 2: What? What? What can he be? You know what?
Speaker 1: The people he named, that's exactly where his game is right now, right the Marcus Smarts.
Speaker 2: Eric Eric Eric Gordon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the type of player he is right now on how he plays the game. But he did punch in the forty point five. Yeah, he do have a six seven wingspan, so he can be a little bit better than those guys right now. I like that he's in tune with his game. He doesn't have these these expectations that the rest of the world have on like that.
Speaker 2: I'll be Jonn Moran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not Ja Moran, I'm not Westbrook. This is who I am. Right, I had quality shots, right, I take the right shot. I play the game the right way.
Speaker 6: You know, if I got to like what we complain about Lebron when he makes the right play, that's who Bronni is, right, That's that's the game LEBRONI fell in love with from his daddy.
Speaker 1: That I make the right play if I only take three shots and we won by thirty. That's what it was. I watched him in high school, I watched him in AAU and he's had monster teams and he gave them the ball, right even though he that's what the kid has a forty point five inch vertical. He can shoot lights out, he can pass, so he can be selfish or take thirty five shots.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't like to play the game that way.
Speaker 1: Right, So his comparable of who he's he wants to be liking who his game is is perfect. You can find that guy at seventeen to early first early second round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what'd you thinking out Joe?
Speaker 5: I mean, I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it obviously being very humble, being very humble with his comparisons. But the thing about it, with those comparisons, he can continue to improve his game in many areas.
Speaker 5: He can continue to prove his game in many.
Speaker 4: Areas except especially like what Gil said, he makes the right passes, he takes, he takes the right shots. He doesn't force anything, and obviously he's likely he's like his dad in a sense as far as being a facilitator first and when the shots come, he'll take them. He doesn't force them. But again he can improve. I'm not saying he's gonna be a Russell Westbrook or he's gonna be a job Morant, but he can continue to improve, and his ceiling can increase way more than what we think it should be. And as far as the expectations from the outside world and all the noise coming from them, because who your father is, and the expectations, the fact that he's ignoring that, and I'm sure his dad has him well groomed and ready to be able to ignore that and to really make a name for himself and just improve his game as the years go by, I think he's he's gonna be. He gonna be all right, especially with the way he looks today. He looked really good today.
Speaker 1: He did athletic. But like said, I mean, he had realistic expectations. Everybody come in, Oh, I'm gonna be Lebrice Lebron, I'm gonna be the next Kobe, I'll be next Kevin the Red Mass stop. Hopefully, hopefully you don't get sent down to the G League. You know what the best part about this is that he's playing okay normally. Look normally, the high level kids. I know some of those kids that are in the draft, like the Sar the Rob delihand they're not in Chicago playing right. So the fact that he is not a scared to go against the competition that's there, Like for some people, they're scared because you go there and you get embarrassed, you lose your stock trying to build this like the show you look I can play right, Like, put me in an environment. This is not college. I've worked on my game and here here to show what i can do. I'm not ducking any smoke. So the fact that he's out here, his dad didn't play in Chicago. Anybody in the first round usually don't play in Chicago in the last couple of years, right. Think about the high level guys you've seen, you've heard of that got drafted.
Speaker 2: You've never seen tape on them playing.
Speaker 1: So the fact that he's out there saying, I'm not scared of anything.
Speaker 2: I'm out here playing.
Speaker 1: Look at me now, it shows you that he's calling he's calling the shots. Because if this was if this was Lebron, Lebron, like, he just just work out by yourself, right, let's work up by yourself.
Speaker 2: We're gonna protect your image of it a little bit.
Speaker 1: He's like, Naha, let me go out there and show I can play with these guys, right, that ain't Dougie.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like guy, oh Joe.
Speaker 1: You know, I got some guys like, man, I ain't doing nothing to come back the way til I get to it. My environment, get the my quarterbacks gonna throw me the ball, or my receiver's gonna catch the ball.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be at my pro day.
Speaker 1: And then you get some guys like I don't give a damn because I'm not gonna always play in my home stadium. I'm gonna be on the road. I'm gonna throwing a different receiver. So I'm a go ahead show you that I ain't dunking no smoke, right, So
Speaker 2: The volume, Yeah,