Speaker 1: The pictures of Keen says that I had grown up with of like my moms, my older cousins, were them in these crazy dresses.
Speaker 2: Oh, the poof dresses that I thought were mandatory.
Speaker 3: More Better, More, a little more better More.
Speaker 1: Welcome to More Better podcast, where we stop pretending to have it all together and embrace the journey of becoming a little more.
Speaker 4: Better every day, or at least trying to. That's Stephanie Beatrice and that's most for Merril. And here we are, Here, we are, We're doing it again.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, guys, Welcome back. Thanks for listening to us shoot the ship about different things.
Speaker 4: Week after week. We appreciate you being here feeling vulnerable, feeling like you're feeling and stuff us too. It's a party. How you doing, steph Oh, I'm in Canada. I'm in our neighbor to the north. Yes, you are in Canada, in Toronto, Canada. You don't say Toronto. You say Toronto. I didn't know the first t like it's a ch and and you don't say the second tea. Try it Toronto. There you go, I do it?
Speaker 2: That was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Was it that? Some effort? Okay, I know it's hard to get, but once you do it, it's sort of it. It becomes normal. But yeah, it's nice here. People are nice. Everyone's like super super friendly. Canadians are friendly. They really are. Man who gossip? They fucking love to wait. I experienced that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's like in Vancouver.
Speaker 4: In Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I did Blockbuster, I was like, oh my god, the stereotype about Canadians being so nice is so true. And then yeah, but yeah, they will drop some gossip. They will be like you know what I heard though, you know why, well, you know.
Speaker 4: Why, because they're so nice. They have to put it somewhere. They have to put that vitrol. Yeah, that was my feeling as well. You've got to get rid of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's got to go somewhere, so it's not on the surface, it's not out in public right underneath, it's just bubbling right underneath.
Speaker 4: And honestly, I appreciate the self control. I really do. I respect it too.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say were we could learn a thing or two from the Canadians.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I prefer it. I prefer it. I would love I would love for everyone to just be friendly and then talk a little shit on the side. I like it exactly, So I'm doing good. I'm liking it here. Everyone's I started the second season of Twisted Metal. It's going really well. It's very fun. It's absolutely insanely wild because, like the other day on said, I turned around, we were doing stuff. We were in a big fight scene and I turn around and there's Anthe Mackie and I doing a big choreographed fight scene and I'm like, that's Captain America and me. Fuck yeah, man, it's so cool. So if that's what's been going on, that's more better. Oh, that's good. I'm like accepting of it because it's like, I don't know if we'll get another season after this, you know, I'm just like living it. You know. Our jobs are like that, we don't know.
Speaker 1: You really have to try to be present and stay grateful and make the most of it, have fun and yeah, because it might not come back.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. Speaking of jobs and more better, what's going on with you, Melissa.
Speaker 2: I have a job.
Speaker 4: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: My pilot, Gross Point Guarden Society got picked up at NBC, so I'll be.
Speaker 2: So excited. I'm very excited. It is as you were saying.
Speaker 1: As an actor, you know, we spend a lot of time in between gigs and with a bit of you know, anxiety, I guess, and panic that we try to control of Am I ever going to work again?
Speaker 4: And when is my next job coming? Even though like you know, I know that like I'm in.
Speaker 1: A good place, you know what I mean, Like it's I know, deep down, like I will work, like things will happen, like I'm okay, but like it's I think just human nature to panic a little bit total.
Speaker 3: I mean, so.
Speaker 2: Whenever getting you're getting better at it all the time.
Speaker 4: I mean like yeah, I'm saying you to me as well, like yeah, yeah, remember when Terry Terry Crews gave us advice on set one time?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that was it about? And he was like, it was about like visualizing, right, No, it was.
Speaker 4: Well, he gave us advice many times, you guys, but this time we were like wittorried about the next time. We were worried about what our next job that was going to be if the show got canceled, And he was like, you're not starting from the place you started, Yes, fifteen years ago. You're starting from now, Like, you don't need to stress the same way that you did, yeah fifteen years ago, ten years ago. Yeah, you're starting from now, and like, and this is like an hour long You're like an it's like an hour long show. It's an hour long.
Speaker 2: It's a drama thing, your girls going back to the drama.
Speaker 1: Funny, drama, funny. Yeah, I get to be funny a little bit.
Speaker 4: I mean, my kid is funny.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, a little wild, yeah, yeah, more so than the other characters. Sorry, guys, I have a little bit of license to be a little bit bigger and a little bit crazy. But but yeah, but still a drama. It's from the writers of The Good Girls. So anyone listening like to that show, you're probably like the show it's like fun, then watch it. Yeah, I think it's going to be I'm really excited about it. The cast is fucking fire, Asia, Naomi King, who's a queen. Anna Sophia's Rob who is also a queen. Ben Rappaport, who is amazing, And we have so many mutual friends.
Speaker 4: I told you this, but I saw Anna Sophia in a production of Macbeth.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was an all female production, and she was absolutely phenomenal, just like blew me out of the water. I mean, I knew she was good because I had watched the the prequel Sex and the City show that she did. Oh, I was obsessed with her in that. And then I watched this production of Macbeth that she was in, and I was just like, she is such a phenomenal actress. Like I just think she's so great and I'm so excited for you, girl. It's really nice.
Speaker 1: It's really nice to be No, I can like mentally chill for like a good year.
Speaker 4: It's great. It's a blessing. Very grateful, very very grateful.
Speaker 3: More Better.
Speaker 4: Speaking of years, this week's topic is about years. It's about life years. It actually comes from two of our listeners who wrote in Melissa, will you read there? Yeah? Oh wait, actually, before Melissa reads that, if you have a suggestion for a future episode, email us at Morebetter Pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note so we can put you on the pod, but don't say bad words because we're doing that enough for you. Go ahead. That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this comes from Texas from Lisa and Kristen.
Speaker 4: Thank you for starting more better.
Speaker 1: We are fans of you both on the screen and are excited to hear this podcast. We are twin sisters turning forty next month. We're happy we can face this milestone together, but we still have mixed feelings. What were your thoughts about turning forty? If you had any uncertainties, how'd y'all cope with them? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Sincerely, Lisa and Kristen. Thank you so much, Lisa and christ for this wonderful suggestion. Is actually such a fun thing to talk about. And also I might I don't now have a panic attack in the middle of the episode. We'll see.
Speaker 4: Milestone birthdays, man, they are a big milestone. Birthdays are like so technically what they are is like you know what they are, but just for purposes of clarity, it's significant birthdays that mark an important stage in your life, like when you turn sixteen and you get your driver's license in the US, or you turn twenty one and you can, you know, go buy alcohol and you're like, now you're an adult, and forty when people used to say you're over the hill.
Speaker 2: Birth so like they are those birthdays that.
Speaker 4: Feel like a big moment in your life. Yeah, and forty is a big one. But like in general, milestone birthdays and like the experience with them and getting I don't know, like this question seems to be like, how do we get more better at like handling this milestone birthday. What was your experience with specifically, let's say your fortieth birthday? Well, I, oh man, my.
Speaker 1: Fortieth birthday came like a year after the pandemic and my baby was still very small, and h.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did I that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Leading up to the birthday, I remember feeling really good and being like, you know what, I'm not afraid of forty. Everyone says your forties are fucking great. It's when you give less fucks. It's and I want that. I'm like excited about this, right, And I was like, I'm going to go into this with positivity and feeling really good. And then cut to I'm at a beach house with my family and we kind of celebrated the night before my birthday and it was really fun. David and I, Oh my god, David and I we walked to a restaurant and date with the kids, and David and I got kind of drunk at dinner, and then we had like so much fun putting the kids to bed. We were like the best parents ever because we were a little bit drunk and we were playing with them and like bedtime was a breeze and it was great and we just like stayed up and like you know, a did a fire pit or whatever. It was great cute, and then all my actual birthday was like more chill. We just like went to the beach or whatever. And I'm feeling great up to this point, and then my birthday comes and literally that night, my husband had fallen asleep early, and I was alone in this beach house like at night, with like a glass of wine, and I just sobbed.
Speaker 4: I was like just I just started crying.
Speaker 1: I was like in this empty beach house and I just started I was like I don't know, and I started like freaking out about my career, freaking out about where I was freaking.
Speaker 4: About about the baby.
Speaker 1: Wait, I hadn't lost yet like all the things, and yeah, it all just like came crashing down on me. But maybe I just had to like go through that, Like maybe I was squashed shing some feelings down and they were like no, ma'am, you will, you will face us anyway.
Speaker 2: But it was a little sad and then and then the next day was great. My best friend came and that made it all better. But uh yeah, it was. It hit me and then and then there was like a little period where I was just like, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, I don't know how I feel about forty. But it didn't last that long. It didn't last that long.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, I think this might end up being I mean, I'm still in the beginning of it, but I think.
Speaker 2: This might be my favorite is gonna be my favorite decade. I'm pumped about it now.
Speaker 1: There is something liberating about I don't know, just I do give less bucks.
Speaker 4: I really do. Yeah, way less than my thirties, way less, way less. I feel like, I mean, I'm saying that in agreement, not not like you yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, give less fucks now, Melissa.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, I feel like my priorities are better, like yeah, I just I don't sweat the small stuff.
Speaker 4: It's funny, is like I did I have known you now since when did we meet? How old were you when we met? Thirty one?
Speaker 1: When we started to show you for a hope full decade, that decade of your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Wow, that's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Dang.
Speaker 4: I didn't even put that together until just now.
Speaker 2: How was it for you? How was forty for you?
Speaker 4: Well? I turned forty. So the year I turned forty, I was super pumped about it. I was like, I'm gonna rent. I had been watching this show that like this couple I can't remember what it's called now, but this couple bought a castle in France somewhere and oh redid the castle and they started throwing parties at the castle. And I was like, I'm gonna rent a castle and take my friends. I'm gonna invite like ten friends and I'm going to go to a castle and brands. I know we're going to blow out. I was like getting the list ready of it. People don't invite. I was gonna it was gonna be a zion. I was like, yes, Mitch, you were on the list and not for nothing, Like I fine if I wasn't. I was very pregnant. You were. Yeah, it was very select list, but you were on the list. And then the pandemic happened. Yeah, and it was like, well, it was like because I had been planning my birthdays in February, and I've been planning it and I was like, Okay, we'll do it. You know, we'll do it in the summer because I don't want to take people to France in the middle of the winter or whatever. And then the pandemic happened, and I was like, oh, I didn't I didn't get to have a fortieth birthday. And and when it was happening. When when that happened, it was March, I think March thirteenth that we all sort of went into lockdown in California, yeah, where we live. It it became a very sobering moment in my life of well, I don't know what's coming now. I don't know what's next. Ye, and like I don't know all my feelings about turning forty and have needing, desperately needing to celebrate because like that means this next decade is going to be epic, and like it was like no people all around the world are like dying and grieving their loved ones, and all of us are scared but don't really know what to do. We're not sure what's next, we don't know what's safe. It was so early on in the pandemic that it was like, this doesn't matter. Like the thing that I really realized that mattered was that I wasn't going to get to see my friends to celebrate together. And I was like, fuck, I can't. I got the part though, like yeah, it was a mind fuck. Yeah, it was a mind fuck, and it made me go. It subsequently made me very, very very conscious of my birthday and like what I want to do to celebrate that, And it made me conscious of Ross's birthdays too, like my kid's birthdays, because you know, I know everybody wants to do whatever they want to do for their kids' birthdays, but I think that there's a lot of societal pressure, especially with moms right now, especially with families right now. I should say, to have a blowout birthday party, spend you know, an insane amount of money, go into debt, have your kid's birthday look incredible online balloon arches and boope it and like hiring this and that and the other. And it's like, you know, did I have a balloon arch for my kid's first birthday? I did, but we ordered it on Amazon and we blew it up ourselves.
Speaker 1: Like like balluon arches are dope, and.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, they're they're at vindication. They're absolutely forever. But like, but the thing, the thing that is more important than anything is having my family and friends together, like because I don't know, I don't want to cry, but like I don't know when I'm going to get another one, you know, Like, yeah, the thing is promised, And that's that's like the thing that I think I really learned. It's like nothing's promised, Like we're not promised the next birthday, like or just not promised. And it doesn't mean that you can't blow it out if you don't want to, But what is it really Like are you going to remember the balloon archery? You're going to remember you're invite lists and the people that you celebrated with, the people that.
Speaker 1: You celebrated with. And I think you make such and I think that that time, that pandemic time especially made me also realize, like you were saying and thinking about the kids' birthdays, about the importance of celebrating, like of like taking a moment to like gather the people you love and celebrating because we don't do it, like we get so busy, we're like go.
Speaker 4: Go, go, go go, all the time.
Speaker 1: And I, you know, Dave I had my husband, he had like a very hard childhood and birthdays weren't always celebrated because of yeah, money and situations and whatever. And he has a very like healthy relationship with it. He's like, Eh, it's no big deal, Like it's you know, just another day. But like I have really had to like push him a little bit to be like, no, no, no, we're going to stop and we're going to celebrate you today, because yeah, we don't do that. When else do we do that Father's Day?
Speaker 4: But like you know, and.
Speaker 1: Any chance that we do get like we have to do this and so and I don't.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I've always done pretty I mean now, when Endzo got a little bigger and wanted to like invite my god, like you know, all the boys from his class at school, like I started, you know, having his birthday parties at like the Laser Tag place or whatever. You know, sure, because I don't want to have like, you know, fifteen kids at my house.
Speaker 4: But nothings, no.
Speaker 2: But I loved their little birthday parties when they were little, of just like inviting all our friends over friends with kids and like putting out a little bounce house and like having some cake and just you know, because I wanted to show them too, Like you have once in a while, you have to stop and celebrate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with all the people you love. You're important. You are important, and look at all these people that love you. Yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: Do that for other people too, like make you know, make sure you like take time to make someone feel special on their day. I think it's just important, you know, And it doesn't have to be It can be small, it can be big, it can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn't just as long as the people you love are there, like it is such Yeah, it's so important.
Speaker 4: Did you have a keen?
Speaker 3: Set?
Speaker 4: By the way, did you have a keen?
Speaker 2: I did not have a keen?
Speaker 4: Sick? Did you have it? You didn't have it? Did you have neither? You didn't either?
Speaker 2: What was your I have? There was a specific reason why I didn't.
Speaker 4: They're big for Mexican families where I grew up up, but there were not ever a thing really like for my mom and dad, So like, okay, they were like, no, you're not having one.
Speaker 1: My mom had a keen? Say in Cuba, oh my god, Yeah, do you have pictures of that. Yeah, oh my god, it looks like a child bride.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The pictures are I think her dress is white.
Speaker 4: I think it was white. But you know the pictures like.
Speaker 1: Kind of like you're like a woman now. It's almost it's a version of abut that's what I was gonna say. It's like a version of about.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's there's all these different like ceremonies too that you can do.
Speaker 4: I don't know, there's like religious aspects to it.
Speaker 1: There's religious aspects, but there's yeah, there's like the you start in like a flat shoe and then you like put on a high heel, a high heels.
Speaker 4: That one. These are the ones I saw.
Speaker 1: Other Keen says, you have a court love like your friends. It's like certain number of boys or number of girls, and you do dances that are like choreographed and you practice. And then there was what else. There was a candle ceremony one Keen say.
Speaker 4: I want to that.
Speaker 1: I actually did this at my sweet sixteen, where it was like fifteen candles and you pick the fifteen most important people in your life to come up and light a candle.
Speaker 4: So wait, soul on you had a sweet sixteen. I did have a sweet sixteen, so, oh my god, I am instantly jealous. I did not have a sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: Really, okay, So what happened was what happened was when I was fourteen and my parents started asking me if I wanted a Keen Say. I had never been to a keen Say before, and I didn't have a lot of Latin friends. My only like Latina friends were at my dance school. I didn't have. There weren't that many Latinos at my school, and I felt weird about it. I was like, no one's going to know what it is, and it's going to be it's going to be weird.
Speaker 2: And I didn't want to stand out, you know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't like I had a very complicated relationship with my Latin Onis in my tween and teen years, and.
Speaker 4: So people are aged it. Yeah, I think, so you just want to like fit in.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I think I was scared people would make fun of it or not understand it, and like so I was like, no, I don't that sounds And it also sounded expensive and I was like, no, that sounds I remember. I think I was pretty bitchy about it. I was like, no, that sounds dumb. I don't want to have a Keen Say.
Speaker 2: Also, like the period of mom's heartbreaking, Actually, my mom was really cool about it. My mom, she was really cool about it. She like got it.
Speaker 1: She got it, like the whole I think my parents have felt so much pressure to Americanize because they came as teenagers that I think that she related. And also the other part was the pictures of keen says that I had grown up with of like my mom's my older cousins were them in these crazy dresses that I thought were mandatory.
Speaker 4: So like.
Speaker 1: I was like, there is and I was kind of a tomboy like my whole life like didn't I didn't wear dresses really until like high school, and I was like, there is no world in which I want to put on a Sparkley giant dress.
Speaker 2: I'm going to feel so dumb. I thought that was like you didn't have a choice, Like if you have a keen Say, that's way you have to wear.
Speaker 4: And I just was not that girl.
Speaker 1: So but then after I made the decision, then I went to a couple keenses and I was like, oh shit, this is super dope.
Speaker 4: I wish I had done this shit. Oh shit, actually can I? Yeah? My parents were like it's too late to plan one now, Like, no, have you seen those videos online of those women that are like older, They're like they never had a keen sick because like when they're having one in adulthood, no, and they're having one as adult, they're so beautiful, cried many of them. They're like really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well, I know when I'm going to be going what rabbit hole I'm going to be going down tonight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you had a sweet sixteen instead.
Speaker 1: So I had a sweet sixteen instead, and like I think, I feel like it was my mom's idea. She was like, well, let's have a sweet sixteen and we can do some keense things at your sweet sixteen. And so we had it at like a you know again, because like my parents really couldn't afford much.
Speaker 4: They rent.
Speaker 1: They found a really cheap space at like a like a va uh huh place.
Speaker 2: Like an Elks club or whatever, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it basically was like a wood paneled basement room is what it looked like. But it was real cheap, and I had my sweet sixteen there and I did the candle ceremony and I did, and I did something else and maybe like I danced with my dad or something like that, like.
Speaker 4: Did you feel like Wow, I'm like, did you feel anything? I did.
Speaker 1: I remember being really excited and I loved my dress that I bought. I had this like black long dress with these like big flowers on it, and my mom did my hair and in like a French twist with like pieces hanging down, real ninety style, and.
Speaker 2: It's it is back, I know, And oh god, I'll try to see if I can find that picture for the pod.
Speaker 4: If you can find them, we have to put them on the I feel like I might have one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was pumped and I did. I felt like it was a milestone and it was like it was the biggest birthday party I had in my whole life, Like that and a slip in side party I had when I was like eight were.
Speaker 4: Like the two most dope party birthday parties of my adolescent and.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, I remember being really.
Speaker 1: Happy and really special and yeah, warm better.
Speaker 2: You didn't have a sweet sixteen either, No.
Speaker 4: I don't you know. At the time, I was really like, I was so into I was really all when I was in high school, like you rested and all.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, you were clothing you know. I kind of was, yeah, you know, you were straight edge.
Speaker 4: We didn't do drugs or drink or drink and we would like go see bands downtown and like you're so cool, blessed. I wasn't. So it's I don't remember what I did. I did something like silly, it was it was, you know, I probably I had like some friends over to the apartment complexes pool and that was it, Like yeah, it just wasn't like the thing that felt like the more The big birthday to me was when I turned eighteen, because like, and I didn't have a party then either. I don't remember having a party, but I remember the feeling of like now and I you know, I'm this is me being very honest. And I know my mother would cry if she could hear this. Mom, don't listen to the podcast. Stop it now, just hit pause now. But I felt like I was going to be free for the first time ever. I was like I can leave here, I can run my own life. I'm gonna my rules are my own, Like I'm out of here. Like yeah, I remember I had got in a scholarship to college, you know, so like I was like, I'm out, I'm done. You can't you can't control me anymore, Like you can't make me do what you like as long as you're living under my roof. Yeah, like I'm not going to be Yeah. So I remember that feeling like I'm going to be free, Like it was so exciting that eighteenth birthday, when I turned eighteen, I was like, this is it, Like this is the beginning of the rest of my life. That's how it felt. Yeah, yeah, god, ah, youth, you I remember. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty one and twenty five also felt like big ones. I remember I feel like I was sad during my twenty fifth birthday, like because yeah, something about twenty five felt like a lot of pressure, even though like looking back is like, oh my god, it's so silly, But.
Speaker 4: When you're in your twenties, thirty was heavy. Thirty was the one for me. I was like, oh my I think it was like twenty seven. I started to get this feeling of like oh my god, oh my god. And then when thirty hit, I was like, fuck, I didn't do anything that I wanted to do. Although like looking back, it's like all those years going mushed together anyway, so yeah, it doesn't really matter, doesn't really matter, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: And then you see how all of those years, all those things you went through, prepared you for everything that came in your thirties at least, like so much after, right, and you're just like, oh, like, thank god all that stuff happened because it made me tougher or it like made me smarter or you know, yeah, it's it's yeah, there is I think a little bit of right, like blind faith you kind of have to have with these like bigger birthdays or heavier birthdays of just like whatever your feelings are of just like, but I got to kind of trust that I'm where I'm supposed to be, doing what I'm supposed to be doing. And it's not gonna make sense to me now, but hopefully I will look back and be like, oh, that was a great fucking time and I was so prepared for that moment.
Speaker 4: I like the thing that you said in the beginning, too, which is like you you maybe hadn't dealt with some of the feelings that you were having about it. You're like kind of pushing them down, and like then you let them out and it was like okay, like that I just had to move through it. It didn't it didn't all come crashing down. No, because I let myself feel fucking scared about having this big birthday, like it's scary. Sometimes it's like shit, I'm like that's how old I am, Like, oh my god, like what happened? I especially because I think, like now, even now sometimes still I'll like like I'll open So when we came to Canada, right, I had to like condense my wardrobe. Ugh, so hard for.
Speaker 1: Me for those listening The text messages I received while Stephanie was packing where the highlight of my day. I basically I wanted to just stop everything I was doing and just text with you about what you were choosing to pack.
Speaker 4: And I was mad that I had to like make dinner for myself. Oh my god, I was. I was like sending Melissa my my master list. But like I opened the closet here and I look at my clothes and I'm like, this is exactly how I dressed in high school. Like I still feel sometimes like oh yeah, seventeen eighteen, I still feel sometimes like I'm twenty five. I just feel sometimes like I'm thirty three, you know, like just because it's all you, all of it is you, all of them, and it's all arbitrary, like moments are you.
Speaker 2: If you had asked me in my twenties, like how I would be in my forties and be like, oh, I'm gonna have all my shit figured out by then, and it's like I don't know what the fuck I'm doing still, Like I.
Speaker 4: Know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I am so bad at adulting and it's.
Speaker 1: Fine, now cut yourself, Okay, you're pretty good at it in some areas.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm yes, thank you, yes, And you're better than you were ten years ago. I am away, Yes, you are better than you were. I am so much like you're never gonna have all the answers, No, not until the day you die, you know, like even then it'll be like.
Speaker 1: And I think like accepting that and being cool with that and knowing that, like that's just the ride, man, Like that's what it is.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: More better.
Speaker 4: Before we sort of like and this I think I want to say to the twins, I call them the twins now. I think like, particularly for forty, there's this there's this some something that this psychoanalyst Eric Ericsson talks about like you're starting this era of your new of your life that's the generativity versus stagnation era, so like from forty to sixty five. And it's like he talks about how people focus on their legacy and like what they can leave behind, and this stage of your life can be characterized by a found need to give to others. So like in terms of like home, that can mean like raising your children, or like being part of your community and like your your social circle or your community in your neighborhood or your city or your state. On the workfront, it can mean like about like thinking about like finding ways to be more productive at work. But like what I think about this is like it does make you think about turning forty makes you think about dying, right, and like that can be Yeah, that can be fucked up, right, but it also can be really freeing because it's like not like I have a race against the clock. It's just like, oh, right, that is inevitable. It comes for us all. So what do I want to do and how do I want to be? And like like our friend Lanes says all the time to me, like how do I want to be inside. Yeah, I don't want to be inside about things in this part of my life.
Speaker 1: You're so right. I do think I have so much more. I have so much more appreciation for my time, like I have, I put more value on it, do you know what I mean? And like I'm more conscious of like how I spend it and who I spend it with. And I think that that only comes with getting older.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I Like the last thing I'll say before I go is like you made it. You made it to forty, you made it to forty one, you made it to sixty five. If you made it there, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Like you just reminded me of yes, yes, you just reminded me of when I turned thirty and my childhood best friend had also turned thirty, and she had been through a really really rough year like have you know lost her mom and like all this horrible stuff had happened or her mom was sick anyway, and I I remember I was like trying to think of like something. It was her birthday and I was like, Oh, she's had like such a rough year and this has been so hard and Dad, I don't even know like just saying like happy birthdays feels fucking lame, you know. And so I started like googling birthdays and researching and it was like the whole idea of the birthday party or the birthday celebration goes way back to like when people when people only lived to like thirty five, you know, and it was and it was like, you celebrated because you survived another year. Ship, that's why you threw a party. You threw a party because when you were fucking caves, you didn't get Ryan didn't eat you. This year, you made it like you didn't get the fucking plague likes, you know.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, that's it.
Speaker 2: I just have to remind her that she survived and that is worthy of a celebration.
Speaker 4: Is like she survived this year.
Speaker 1: And I think about that all the time of like, yeah, it's that's what it is.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, it's like, yeah, look at you.
Speaker 4: You're here. You made it, you did it. That's enough. That's enough to throw a party, son, Kristen, you fucking made it, made it. Throw a party with all your life.
Speaker 2: If you want, if you want, if you want, if you want.
Speaker 4: If you want, if you want, do whatever you want you do whatever? Do you feel a little a little more better about this? Do you feel more better?
Speaker 1: I also have a birthday coming up really soon that I was having a little bit of feelings about.
Speaker 4: But I do I feel better? Yeah? Do you feel more better? I feel a little more better?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think I even like realized how sort of like even keeled I feel about this. I say this now, and then like the next birthday, I have all like text time crying like I don't know what to do. I don't like my life is.
Speaker 2: So nuts, and I'll be like, let's go get drunk girl.
Speaker 4: And with that we leave you, audience, dear sweet listeners, see you next time, See you next time. Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Better.
Speaker 4: Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want us to talk about in a future episodes?
Speaker 1: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 2: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at More Better pod at.
Speaker 4: Gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh, More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from Wvsound and iHeartMedia's Mikultura podcast Network, hosted by Me, Stephanie Beatriz, and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by Isis Madrid, Leo Clem, and Sophie Spencer Zabos. Our executive producers are Wilmer Valderrama and Leo Clem at Wvsound. This episode was edited by Isis Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Davenport and Heylo Boy.
Speaker 1: Our cover art is by Vincent Remis and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to your favorite shows. See you next week, Saga Bye,