Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, arm Strong and Getty.
Speaker 2: And He.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: So the Grammys were last night and Beyonce one Album of the Year for her country album. This is the only song I'd heard from it. We played this back when it came out.
Speaker 1: I spent some time.
Speaker 3: Listening to the album last night, way way, way more artsy than I was expecting. It's like a what do you call it when you got a theme through a whole album?
Speaker 1: Concept album? Concept album? Yeah, concept album with a lot of giant, famous country.
Speaker 3: Stars and that sort of stuff. I'm and okay, album of the year whatever, whatever that means. You know, the calling something the best art is weird to start with, fine, but best country album.
Speaker 1: I just I find that interesting. Okay.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely a clear example the Grammys do this, the Oscars do this, that somebody got snubbed or passed over in the past, and they're a super giant star, and you think, all right, let's give him a like a Beck got Album of the Year for an album I listened to twice and said, I'm never listening to this.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: I listened to it still. I listened to the other day. I loved that album. Yeah, I just didn't scratch you were I.
Speaker 2: But it's fairly rare that people think that's better than like, oh Delay or what was the second one that was so great?
Speaker 1: But anyway, they it's like a career.
Speaker 2: We should have given you something before thinks, hey, she's a great star and singer whatever. I don't know, like you say words for kind of eh. If Noah what's his name hadn't been the host, it had been easier for me to watch.
Speaker 1: God dang it, that guy rubs me the wrong way. I find him so grating.
Speaker 3: Well, he's not funny and then his political jokes. Just shut up, dude, Why why?
Speaker 1: Who likes him? Right? Like kimmels him? But he's funny.
Speaker 3: Taylor chefs I thought Taylor Swift though clinking glasses with jay Z when Beyonce won Best Album like looking genuinely happy for her. I think that's part of the hole. It's like the way Elon Musk's happy. I mean, you're so rich and so successful, you can't get under my skin. I didn't want to do something you think I care whatever good for you, have a good time, have a nice night, enjoy your life.
Speaker 2: I don't care, right, what are you gonna do if I had her money at burn mine?
Speaker 3: Exactly as they say, here's what's going on with the whole tariff thing. If you haven't been paying attention, This is at o'keef on CBS News.
Speaker 4: So starting Tuesday, there will be twenty five percent tariffs on all Mexican exports, twenty five percent tariffs on most Canadian exports, ten percent tariffs on Canadian energy exports, and ten percent tariffs on all goods from China. This morning, the President acknowledged this could lead to higher prices, writing will there be some pain? Yes, maybe and maybe not, he wrote on his social media platform, but we will make America a great again, and it will all be worth the price that must be paid.
Speaker 1: This is not my lane.
Speaker 3: Tariff talking economics, but a couple questions I have just from observing this. First of all, I remember when Trump put tariffs on China the first time around first term, and a lot of the hewing and crying of how dom and awful this was from mainstream media. And then the Biden administration came in and left them in place, didn't do anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have no problem with with the China tariffs. It's an untenable, ugly relationship with a bitter adversary. On the other hand, Mexico and Canada are not our bitter adversaries. There close allies and huge trading partners. It just I'm gonna hit you with anvila headlines. Then we'll go from there. The dumbest Oh wait a minute, there is the dumbest trade war. Fallout begins the dumbest trade war in history. Tump Trump tariff's Americans will pay a severe price if they remain in effect too long. Trump's move to put tariff hikes ahead of tax Putts's cuts have spooke to almost everyone.
Speaker 1: Mexico and Canada fireback.
Speaker 2: Those are all from conservative media, by the way, business friendly conservative media. So there's there's a great deal of angst over these tariffs and whether they're the right move. I think the if I were to boil down the main objection among Trump friendly tending to be Trump friendly media, it's that the tariffs and what they're claiming to be accomplishing are just disconnected. We're gonna stop the illegal immigration and drugs by punishing our neighbors with tariffs until they comply. You know that it might work eventually, I suppose, but it's gonna just hurt consumers in the meantime. It's gonna staunch growth and raise inflation almost certainly.
Speaker 3: Does this make pretty boy Trudeau unhappy? Because if it makes him unhappy, it makes me happy. Huh that's a good standard, right. They find him annoying.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's terribly annoying. I had one pushback on that. Yeah. Absolutely willing to get to Uh.
Speaker 2: Robert Leitthheiser, who's been defending Trump policies lately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's mostly around China, which, as you were saying, it's a lot more easily defended because we are in a war for control of the earth with China. Okay, here's the thing about Trump. Okay, go ahead. CEO of Canada's second biggest company defends Trump's tariff demands, slams Trudeau for not stopping the trade war. This is the guy who runs Shopify, which is a very big company you might be familiar with. These are things that every Canadian wants its government to do. These are not crazy demands, even if they come from an unpopular source, said Toby lock Letkey, who co founded Shopify. So uh, it's not all why are you doing this to us.
Speaker 1: Up in Canada? Just one point.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't understand his point. But when he gave the guy from Shopify is in favor of it, What was I going to say?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: The thing about Trump, the way he's always done business. When he's in business.
Speaker 1: He walks up and grabs you by the pward. Oh boy, I don't even have one.
Speaker 2: No, he will at any point he decides say no, our deal is no longer on, we need to renegotiate it. And he constantly beats up his suppliers and his contractors and business partners and the rest of it. But it's still profitable enough people do business with him because generally, you know, with a bad run, as the exception at Atlantic City, it ends up being profitable for everybody.
Speaker 1: But he's a brutal, brutal negotiator.
Speaker 2: The problem is doing this with allies and international relations is it's not like your local plumbers union.
Speaker 3: But man if He's got a theme throughout his adult life whenever he would talk politics, it was about other countries are taking advantage of us, and why do we let this happen? I mean, he's been talking about this for decades before he ever decided to run for president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well in a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's this guy, Robert Leethhauser, who's been around Republican economics politics going way back to Reagan. He was on Sixty Minutes last night specifically defending well tariffs in general, but specifically around China. Here's him explaining what a threat China is to the United States.
Speaker 6: China, to me, is an existential threat to the United States. It is a very, very competent adversary. China views itself as number one in the world and wants to be that way. They view us as in the way they have the biggest army in the world and they're growing it, the biggest navy in the world, and they're growing it. They're spying on us, they're taking our technology. They've been waging an economic war against the United States and winning that war for at least the last three decades.
Speaker 3: And nobody was saying that out loud before Trump came along, even though it has been going on for a long time. So he's in favor of decoupling in every way from China, and he explains that, So your tariff regime for China would be what.
Speaker 6: I believe in strategic decoupling. I'm not saying no economic relationship with Sean That's not my position at all. I think you want balance trade, and how do you get balance trade. You're going to get balance trade by having large tariffs on most of what they send us.
Speaker 1: What's large?
Speaker 6: You know the President has floated numbers fifty sixty percent, but I think there are big numbers like that.
Speaker 3: Wow, those are big numbers. And then one more explanation of that we can discuss.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, you're talking about decoupling from China, what would that look like? So it is strategic decoupling, so we would still have trade.
Speaker 1: So I would say, we sell.
Speaker 6: You one hundred and fifty billion, we buy one hundred and fifty billion from you.
Speaker 4: No more.
Speaker 6: We don't allow investments in China except in circumstances where we believe that's in the interest of the United States. We don't allow inbound investments. So we begin to disentangle. We disentangle our technology. You could ask yourself, what is China's policy towards us. It is exactly a mere image of what I just said. So what I'm suggesting we do to China is what they.
Speaker 1: Do to us. That made an impact on me.
Speaker 3: They've been doing this forever, but we were, well, we've talked about this a lot. We had this fanciful belief going all the way back to Nixon and through every president up until Trump, that it's okay, we're taking a hit, but the good thing is they're going to be a giant economic powerhouse and they're going to be part of friends with us. And they were, you know, laughing behind our backs the whole time, saying, yeah, make us powerful, then we're going to take over the world and do whatever the hell we want.
Speaker 2: And just purely economically speaking, even though the deal was tilted strongly in their favor, we were still it was still good for the economy in general, not so much for manufacturers when we're going to talk about that China shock a little bit later. But you know, overall, it was fine to give them a better deal than we were getting because they're still making more money. But again, my objection to this, and here it is, it's not like I walk around, you know, barking at people about tariff policy all the time.
Speaker 1: He got Joe get ready to hear tariff talk.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, budget, yeah, I'm finishing up a concept album all about tariffs. I'm working with Beyonce. Anyway, that's that's not it. I mean, I actually have beliefs about it, but I don't feel that strongly about it. Here's what I feel strongly about. I believe, barring some sort of hard turn, and Trump might make one because he is a fan of the giant gesture that gets the small concession, he declares victory and then calls off the dogs. If that's the plan, Okay, that's Trump being Trump.
Speaker 1: Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 2: But if he goes ahead with the tariffs, especially with Canada and Mexico, I think that is going to have a serious, serious consequence for American consumers. Their lives are going to get significantly more expensive. They're going to see industries hurt, American industries hurt. And taking Trump at his word now on the idea of some sort of long term on shoring of all sorts of other things like energy and timber and such, that would take a very very long time.
Speaker 1: And here's my other problem with it.
Speaker 2: They would take such massive investments that a company's not going to make them because Trump's just going to be in power for another you know, three years and eleven months or whatever it is. So I just I don't think that's going to happen in the way he's talking about. And here's my main objection to it. It's going to screw American consumers and make people mad, which will undermine Conservatism's ability to do a bunch of other things that we could do, especially if we held onto the House and Senate.
Speaker 1: That's my problem.
Speaker 2: I think it's a misstep that could undermine all the good stuff.
Speaker 1: What we'll we'll see.
Speaker 3: So Joe's soft on Canada, all right, the Northern Menace. Have you heard any of the reports where they try to tie it into Super Bowl weekend? Avocados come from Mexico, the number one beer in America Medello. People also being bought to lots of I don't forget what they said from Canada. People are going to notice it at their Super Bowl parties. It seems a little fast, but maybe yeah, yeah, prices have already risen in some sectors.
Speaker 2: But that that ship like once a week and that sort of thing I mean, if you send car parts ones every six months, you're not going to see it, but food will immediately. And I do love beer in avocados. That's hitting me where a hurt.
Speaker 1: You Just like the munch on an avocado washing it out to a beer and I eat the peel because that's where all the nutrition is. I believe in it. I have to choke it down. Fantastic. Well, it's going to be uh.
Speaker 3: You know, people been arguing about the whole Tariff's thing for my whole adult life of watching politics, and I've been rolling my eyes and turning the page to the next door because I wasn't interested. Now we get to watch it play out and see what happens, and we'll have some real world data on how it works, like really really very stark real world data.
Speaker 2: I need to find the other thing. And this is not about Trump, because he's just using a tool everybody else has been using.
Speaker 1: Where is it? I'll find it.
Speaker 2: But the United States of America is under I think the number is currently thirty one different states of emergency to give the oh no, I'm sorry here it is. The International Emergency Economics Power Act was passed in nineteen seventy seven to give the president extraordinarily way to deal with any unusual and extraordinary threat from a foreign country, including with tariffs. That's fine and dandy, but the situation we're in right now is absurd.
Speaker 1: We need to take a break. We'll tell you about it in a minute.
Speaker 3: From nineteen seventy seven International Emergency Economic Powers Act. All Right, got some tips on blue light keeping you awake at night looking at your phone that I think will be news You can use stay tuned.
Speaker 1: On the whole sleep thing.
Speaker 3: Looking at your devices before you go to bed or in bed. Some people have had tremendous success with the blue light glasses. Some people said they did nothing, So your mileage, Mayberry, I might try it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So back to the Trump tariffs, just for a moment or two. The National Review editorial boards making the point that no president should have the power to make such a major change to tax and trade law unilaterally.
Speaker 3: It does seem like an awful lot of power on one person's hand, because the tariff is attacks that the consumer pays almost entirely. There's just no other way to slice it anyway. China is set out entirely, and Canada is gonna pay it, and Mexo is gonna pay it.
Speaker 2: No, they're not China, and China needs to be set apart. It's a different case, but it's not entirely clear that the president does. The International Emergency Economic Powers Act, passed in seventy seven, gave the president an extraordinarily way to deal with any unusual and extraordinary threat from a foreign country after a national emergency declaration. It's likely why the President has raised illegal drugs and immigration as justification for the tariffs. His national emergency declarations on these two subjects especially helped to unlock the powers of this law, which are sweeping. But they point out, and this cuts across many administrations, this is still a preposterous way to govern, as there are currently over forty national emergencies. In effect, you feel like now you feel like we have forty national emergencies going on? It doesn't feel that way. Yeah, you good people. Do you feel like we're in a national emergency? Forty topics?
Speaker 1: Deep?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's some crazy stuff going on immigration for one thing, but forty and using those emergencies quote unquote as a fig leaf to impose tariffs on all goods in contradiction to an existing trade agreement with our allies is clearly contrary to congressional intent. So there's that question about and then they go into how it's going to hurt autoworkers and agriculture and all sorts of sectors that are huge in red states. So we don't know how it's going to play out for the next week, much less the next couple of months, but whatever happens, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we got a couple of texts about this. I thought we're interesting. Somebody making the point that what Trump's hoping for is the same result he got.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll just read it.
Speaker 3: He's planning on the one hour turnaround like happened with Columbia. Maybe this will be a week instead of an hour, but that's what he's hoping for you, and I assume that is it too.
Speaker 1: He's not thinking about by next year gas will be No, he's thinking this will be over in a couple of weeks. They'll they'll cave and then we'll get right we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he may and that may be successful. I think he's a little too brutal sometimes with our friends. I mean, because like Trudeau's a weasel. But Poliev, who I love, the conservative guy who's probably going to be the Prime minister in Canada.
Speaker 3: He's super pissed off about this too. There's this point of view, which you already mentioned. I'm afraid that Trump's trade policies will do to the conservative movement what Dei and Trans did to the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I hope not. I hope we'll see.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling it's a big nasty bluff, mostly hope.
Speaker 1: So, but again, not China. China's totally different. If you miss a segment of the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 5: In just one week until Super Bowl fifty nine, the Chiefs and the Eagles headed out to New Orleans. Security is extra tight there. Hundreds of federal, state and local officers on duty. Barricades have gone up with drones overhead, as comes after the New Year's truck attack that killed more than a dozen people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll bet, but I think security is always pretty damn high at a Super Bowl. So yeah, New Orleans belatedly so installing some things they've been told to over and over again. I'm not saying we shouldn't do this all the time. But so far, has there ever been a terrorist attack on a big, well known thing like that that we see coming.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so that.
Speaker 3: I can think of inauguration of Super Bowl whatever. No, No, they shows up randomly out of nowhere at the beginning of the Boston Marathon on a Tuesday, or an airline flight on a regular you know, day of the week in September, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, or Loane more on halfwoot angry jackasses, which is the fast majority of the attacks, who don't have the capacity to pull off something big. Although wasn't there There are a couple of guys who got a job in security.
Speaker 1: For the Super Bowl. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Last year they had gotten jobs in security and luckily we're caught. Maybe we just catch all of them. Maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Good thing they're stupid and the FBI is working hard. My son is trying out for the volleyball team this evening. Cool, this is new just a friend of his.
Speaker 3: He said, he got peer pressured into it by a friend of his. He knows nothing about volleyball. I was asking my that you need to read or watch YouTube videos. You're not going to show up to the volleyball tryout not having the slightest idea how they score it, or you know, just even the most basic parts of the game. You got to show up with some knowledge because he had zero, Like, you know, how many points you play too, how many people on a team?
Speaker 1: You know, any of the most basic how to do any of that stuffing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean have just some of the most basic knowledge, all right? Have you trying to make a point to his friend? It is pressuring him. Yeah, I'll show up. He didn't want me to buy him some special volleyball shoes because he's really into shoes. I said, you make the team.
Speaker 2: I'll buy some special volleyball shoes. Wow, huh, we'll see I betll it. At the other end of the spectrum, Jack, you have aging. There's currently a fight among scientists and people want to sell you stuff.
Speaker 1: Over whether aging is a disease.
Speaker 2: A small but growing movement of scientists want a class if by aging.
Speaker 3: As a disease, Okay, it probably has all kinds of financial implications, government funding implications, that sort of thing, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and advertising as well, trying to convince people that if you declare it a disease. And we're kind of skipping to the end here, but if you declare it a disease, you can convince people that it can be cure.
Speaker 1: I'm not an empty theologist.
Speaker 3: I was planning to be an epidemiologist, but I overslept one morning and it fell apart.
Speaker 2: But it's too busy at my volleyball practices to get my study.
Speaker 3: I suppose there are some ways that you can classify what happens to cells or something like that as a disease. But aging happens to everybody. All their diseases out there don't happen to everyone. That seems like a big difference to me.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a major driver of valsentness and death, they say, these scientists, and classifying.
Speaker 3: Your aging is a major contributor to death, You're absolutely.
Speaker 1: Right, one of the top ones.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that could make it easier to get drugs approved to treat aging itself rather than just age related health problem.
Speaker 3: I do think it's damned interesting the idea that, and I don't know why this couldn't happen, that they can't do some sort of gene manipulation something or other where genes stop getting older. They're not exactly sure why that needs to happen, right, you know, because all your your cells rather genes, but your cells. There's why Why are the cells that are dying out? You got gazillions of cells dyeing every year and being replaced by different stelfs. Why do they have to get older? Why can't they just be the same? The problem being, of course, at what point do you start that? I want to start that as as a two year old? And this is this is rare. Why don't we take at least one phone call. Let's see on the screen that says, God Almighty's on the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for bringing this up. Here's the story. Yeah, you don't want to be immortal, all right? Trust me, I've kind of planned the whole thing out, so don't go messing with it, all right, love your show, longtime listener, First time call it click.
Speaker 1: I'll take my answer off the air. Yeah, worry.
Speaker 2: Calling aging a disease could lead to financial exploitation by the anti aging industry, capitalizing on quick fixes to cure aging. For instance, there's this one therapist who said I can have an eighty year old who can still ski dance or run a marathon, and I can have a forty year old who doesn't move much and can't do any of that age, the number is not at all an indicator of anything.
Speaker 3: Well, that's very true, and I know people like that myself. Do I have to ask to a weak ass argument?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's I'm sorry, just on a logical that bothers me from a perspective of logic, because that's the exact same argument that, well, there are some men who could be beat by some women in sports, therefore transgender people in sports is fine.
Speaker 3: But I just want to nail this down. Just because I can dance when I'm mighty, do I have to? Or is it still optional unless this chick.
Speaker 1: Makes you so.
Speaker 3: The other day, I'm at I'm at the Jim the club thing where I go to a lift weight, and there's some peopeople playing tennis, and they were noticeably on the older end of people playing tennis, like quite a bit older than you generally see out in the tennis court.
Speaker 1: They looked like old.
Speaker 3: Men, kind of fat upper bodies, skinny little white legs with their white socks pulled up.
Speaker 1: I mean, they looked like old men. But and I just watched for a little bit.
Speaker 3: I thought one of those going to look like and man, they were whipping that ball around. I thought they would just crush me. I mean, I've never been really a tennis player, but I am a lot younger than these people. That turned out they would just crush me, and I thought, wow, that's interesting. So I got down lifting weights at the same time that they quit. And I don't know if this guy liked this question or not, but I said, excuse me, I can I ask you?
Speaker 1: How old are you? He said, how old do you think I am?
Speaker 3: I said, I don't know, but I watched you playing tennis out there, and you would crush me. He said, I'm eighty five, and he stomped off like I don't know if he was happy.
Speaker 1: To tell me that or Matt I asked, or whatever.
Speaker 3: I thought, you're eighty five freaking years old and you're playing.
Speaker 1: Tennis like that.
Speaker 3: They didn't three other guys. I mean, it's just it was really quite a yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The final point they make is that sometimes doctors will dismiss a symptom as a sign of aging when it is really something bad going on, and they shouldn't do that. That's a bad doctor anyway. They're not going to declare aging and disease. Then I thought this was interesting also healthwise.
Speaker 1: This is a completely.
Speaker 2: Different topic, but we talked about it briefly off the air, and people seem interested in this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to quote from an article.
Speaker 2: A retired psychologist I know who worked for a prominent hospital seeing very complex cases, told me that cluster B personality disorders are the scariest thing to work with. He said, they are the scariest because they're basically untreatable and they do so much damage to the people around them.
Speaker 3: And I just heard the term, but I'm not familiar with. Okay, for a layman, what is a cluster B personality disorder?
Speaker 1: Right? Which is all of us? Certainly?
Speaker 2: The best thing you can do is learn to identify the behavior cluster B personalities display and stare clear of them. They are destructive, deceitful, narcissistic, and grandiose, while at the same time often struggling intense feelings of worthlessness and fear of abandonment. One clue should be that they cause chaos everywhere they go, often dragging other people into their webs of destruction.
Speaker 3: Oh you hate to be drug into the old wod right right drama queens?
Speaker 2: Uh, what was the other professional victims?
Speaker 1: That sort of thing. And I'll get more into the specifics.
Speaker 2: But research has found that cluster beat personalities tend to be involved in more litigation. For instance, don't get sucked into the web of chaos. They don't love you, they use you and then hate you.
Speaker 1: Let's see, here's the specifics.
Speaker 3: Can they help it or control it? Are they just built that way? Do they know they're doing it? That's what I was walking about. That's a really interesting question. I think, you know what, let's let's let's go ahead with some of the specifics and then come back to that question.
Speaker 1: Old web a destruction.
Speaker 2: People with BPDPD experience wide mood swings, can feel a sense of instability and insecurity. According to the Die Agnostic Statistical Manual Diazactic Framework, some key signs and symptoms. They include frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment by friends and family, Unstable personal relationships that alternate between idealization I'm so in love and devaluation I hate her. This is also sometimes known as splitting, distorted and unstable self image, which affects, moods, values, opinions, goals and relationships. Impulsive behaviors that can have dangerous outcomes, excess of spending on safe sex, reckless driving, misuse or overuse substances, self harming behavior, including suicidal thoughts, periods of intense depressed mood, irritability or anxiety, chronic feelings of boredom and emptiness, inappropriate, intense or uncontrollable anger, often followed by shame and guilt. Wait a minute, that's just my Friday night.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the problems with a lot of your psychological problems is everybody's got a little a lot of less staff. Sure, it's just the degree, is the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading.
Speaker 3: Name me somebody who isn't ever selfish or irritable or down or whatever. So yeah, it's all the degree or sometimes confident and sometimes in sure. Yeah, yeah, let's see. The antisocial personality disorder is a pattern of disregard for in violation of the rights of others. It's a pattern of instability and an interpersonal relationship self image and effects and marked impulsivity. It's you know what, It strikes me as having, you know, gone through this whole thing is it's.
Speaker 1: The professional victim.
Speaker 2: Drama queen who just has all of our king, who has all of those things we were describing in a way that that damage relationships and make people around them miserable. But the original thing is that they are un they say, they're basically untreatable. Why is that completely Yeah, but I've some people emerged from childhood so damaged. I don't know how much help you can give for.
Speaker 1: That whole question.
Speaker 3: I was having this conversation with the doctor the other day when I was there about kids. His kids are his daughter is now going to come work in his office. She went to medical school, but she had lots of struggles when she was younger with a variety of things. But anyway, he was talking about how we all learn once we start parenting, is we have less say and how they're going to turn out than we thought we did at the beginning, And that whole thing is just amazing, you know, to what extent you have. He was using the example of like bumpers on a bowling alley, you can be the bumpers on the bowling alley keep from going this far or that far. But that whole part in the middle is them and they're gonna do their thing.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really good metaphor yeah, yeah, try not to be one of those people, and if you're one of them, be better.
Speaker 3: I think this is this is interesting. I know in the world of like addiction stuff, there is tend you tend to be one of two kind of people, although again everybody's a little bit of all these things, but you tend to be one or the other of everything is somebody else's fault or everything is my fault. I tend to be more of the latter, and like everything that's gone wrong is my fault and uh and never you know they did this, you might want to take that in consideration, or that person is a lying jerk or whatever.
Speaker 1: So people tend to be one of those. In the world of addiction and stuff.
Speaker 3: Everything is someone else's fault or everything's my fault, and neither one of those is accurate.
Speaker 1: Obviously. You know, it just popped into my head.
Speaker 2: Who is the perfect manifestation of a cluster B personality disorder from fiction?
Speaker 1: And that would be Tony Soprano's mom on The Sopranos. She was that.
Speaker 2: Right destructive, deceitful, narcissistic, and grandiose, while at the same time struggling with intense feelings of worthlessness and fear of abandonment.
Speaker 3: And you'd get pulled into her web and uh.
Speaker 1: You're better off not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. Anyway, we can post this at armstrong and giddy dot com if you want.
Speaker 1: Well, we got.
Speaker 3: All kinds of people thinking about their sister, or their mom, or their gutsin or their brother, their coworker. Oh poor you, exactly, Oh poor you. We got more on the way.
Speaker 7: Punk Satani Phil, the Seer of Sears, was awakened from his wintry.
Speaker 1: Nap at dawn on Gobbler's knob. Phil looked to the skies.
Speaker 7: And then, speaking in groundhog gies, directed the President to the proper scroll, which reads, It's crowndhog Day and maybe life is on a loop. But I missed my burrow, I miss my coop, so I'm headed back down.
Speaker 1: There's a shadow up here.
Speaker 7: Get ready for six more weeks of winter this year.
Speaker 3: This might be the silliest things human beings do on Earth. I mean, when the English people chase a cheese downhill, that's pretty silly too, but this is right up to that makes more sense at least to an athletic event. Yeah, what the hell and the else uncomfortable with a gobbler's nob and mixed company just asking.
Speaker 1: We have breaking tariff news, breaking tariff news, the news breaks the donkey brains. Has Mexico caved? Maybe that's what Trump is counting on.
Speaker 3: The tariffs are supposed to hit tonight, tariff Tuesday tomorrow, China, Mexico, Canada under the thumb of the United States, but the pause is on for Mexico. The Trump administration has agreed to pause the tariffs as the president of Canada whose last name I mean Mexico, whose last name does not sound Mexican at all, Shinebam.
Speaker 1: President Scheinbaum of.
Speaker 3: Mexico said in a tweet that she had a conversation with Trump and in Mexico agreed to fortify its border with ten thousand national troops to try to block the flow of drugs, especially fentanel across the border, and the United States are Goua said, We're going to try to hammer out some different details over the next month.
Speaker 2: I spent my entire life savings trying to corner the huacamole market.
Speaker 1: Now it's all wasted. That's great, that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, I wondered whether that's was Trump what he was doing all along, you know, gaining momentum for other stuff through the threat of tariffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we all know the story from last weekend when we were sending illegal criminals back to Colombia and President Columbia said, no, you're not, You're not send them here. And Trump said, okay, fine, huge tariffs and they said, I go ahead.
Speaker 1: And send them.
Speaker 3: We'll send a plane and pick them up. Took like an hour get Columbia to cave. Mexico has at least agreed to agree to talk about a couple of things. We'll see where Canada is. Trudeau looks pretty tough to me. Uh huh, we'll see how long and now now is Canada and Canada that's true to get to make the decision on his own, like Trump gets to make the decision here on his own.
Speaker 2: Apparently you're asking me about Canadian trade policies.
Speaker 3: It's just weird all the way around that one human being in any of these countries would be making these decisions. These are big financial decisions, and they're taxes. That's what we have legislatures for. Here's the thing with me. I thought that Canada's got to be our fifty first state thing was funny, but he doubled down on it over the weekend, like he's serious. Canada is unsustainable on its own. It needs to become our beloved fifty first state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, come on.
Speaker 3: National Reviews had some great writing over the last couple of weeks about why that would be a bad idea, because for a number of reasons. First of all, you'd be adding another state the size of California that's to the left of California police by a lot. There's no culture of free speech in Canada going back centuries, or a lot of other things you don't like, uh, universal healthcare and all kinds of other stuff you don't Why would Why would I, as a right leading gentleman, want another to the left of the California giant state that would swing presidential elections?
Speaker 1: No? Thanks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about y'all figure your crazy ass up out up there and we continue to be trade partners and play hockey together and our friends and that's good enough.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't want to marry.
Speaker 3: Them unless you're a progressive or oot of your mind as a conservative. It's just not a good idea right right here here, Jo got a very exciting tease here. You know that movie, the transgender thirteen Oscar nominations musical nightmare movie we've been talking about. I took one for the team over the weekend, folks, and I watched it. Well, that wasn't a fair trade. I watched the Bob Dylan movie, which was awesome. You watch the trans Oscar winner movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need months of counseling. I'll tell you about it next out.
Speaker 1: I do want to hear about it. That's I want to talk about it. I didn't watch that beautiful relationship.
Speaker 3: I watched the music performances on the Grammys, but nothing else.
Speaker 1: Oscar Night. I'm gonna be watching for the speeches.
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna take it so far over the top it's gonna be crazy.
Speaker 1: Bet your bottom dollar really a lot on the way.
Speaker 3: If you missed a segment or an hour, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty