Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here week.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, did no man dark you are greedy to welcome to a Friday edition of The Shotgun Start. It is August seventh, Andy, how we doing.
Speaker 3: Brendan, I'm doing fantastic. I had a great week showing showing a bunch of people around the fair city of Chicago.
Speaker 2: Fair City of Chicago. Is that a phrase there?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 2: Just something new pulled up as we lead into the podcast.
Speaker 3: That's just what I didn't tell you that adjective.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go. I'm glad we've got We've got a lot of content coming around Chicago. Chicago Guides video written as we steve head towards the President's Cup at the end of the end of September, we've got playoffs to sort through, FedEx cups to sort through. May know a little bit more about the end of September, whether Live is still a thing, funded, credited, whatever it may be by the end of September. We'll talk about that in a minute.
Speaker 3: It seems like that was a pretty premature announcement of funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you could say that you want to do that right now, you want to dispense with the uh. So Wednesday morning, ten a m. Eastern there is a press conference call for Live Bedminster.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's no details, there's no there's no COURUS responding or concurrent press release, documents, official statements of any kind. It's just Scott O'Neill up there, free will in it purplely orally Yeah yeah, I uh, I'm do the TikTok here. But but one conclusion is Scott O'Neill he made I don't think he's a bad guy. He seems like a nice man put in a very tough spot. He also may be kind of a do fist and sell it used car salesman like elements to it. But I do think he might not be a bad guy. And in a very very challenging situation that he's trying to, you know, put whipped cream on on shit, as they say. Uh, And that's a tough spot and doesn't make you always look like the uh most forthright person, you know, when is it's your charge to do that? So ten Am calls a press conference. The language is, we're very fortunate that e Laite investor has signed a term she approved by our board which will carry and fund Live going forward. At the end of that press conference, if the deal gets finalized, there will be a twenty two Will there be a twenty twenty seven season, he's asked, And twenty eight he says, and twenty nine and thirty, So we're led to believe this deal will carry and fund Live going forward through maybe twenty thirty. That's what we understand. The quotes are along the lines agreement in place with the lead investor, signed by investor approved by the board to anchor the transaction, which is a curious use of you know, kind of word salad, to anchor the transaction and play a key role in supporting the path forward for Leaves Next Lives Next era. Our next chapter will make our players majority equity holders and Live Golf, a first for a major global sports league. So that's ten Am. It's just Scott O'Neill on the dais that's what we have.
Speaker 3: Can we just back up and sure look at the verbiage.
Speaker 2: He always.
Speaker 3: Lead investor, carrying fund live, going forward, carrying fun It's just an odd use of the word investor. It is what came out later.
Speaker 2: It is sign term sheet approved by the board. Yes, how much of that is it is a true statement? Uh well, the truth is sort of a subjective sort of shifting.
Speaker 3: It's wackle. You get up and just say something is categorically untrue.
Speaker 2: So an hour and a half after he talks, we'll get to where the holes may come in the statement. Hour and a half, Dry talks. Live finally issues in an official statement, which sounds, i would say, different than the characterizations from the oral press conference. Lift Golf has an agreement in place with the lead investor, signed by the investor, proved by the board, to anchor the transaction and play key role in supporting the path forward for the league's next era, driven by and for the players. That seems similar verbiage, similar language, very such ads. We're seeing strong interest from more than a dozen additional parties, which she said, you know, everybody's ready to get in the boat.
Speaker 3: We just need the boat.
Speaker 2: You know, we got a lot of people ready to get in and help sail it, help you know, run the sales, but we need people to get in lead investor. Let's get to this language. Later that day, Bloomberg reports BC Partners, of course, we have no idea how much, who what? And Joseph and I do a little. This is was in your feed reaction to understanding who what where?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 2: We still don't know. It's just lead investor. So Bloomberg then comes in with a report that be see Partner's credit arm is leading a group of investors looking at lending money to live golf. So the credit arm lending money to live golf. Well, that's that's not an investor, right, No, BC partner does have is a big wonder based private equity company, does have an equity an investment arm also has a credit division.
Speaker 3: I wanted to just check, you know, with with somebody else about this, so I just you know, I asked, I asked AI, which you call someone who loans you money an investor? And their response was no, No, at least not in the standard usage.
Speaker 2: Uh So that is a Bloomberg Business report.
Speaker 3: BC credit army lending should be called a lender or a creditor. Of course. The funny thing is the way everybody reacted to this because everybody reacts. I was PJ and I and some others were filming some stuff, so I was kind of silent, but I was taking in everything. Everybody's acting like it's like this huge deal and then this comes out. But this is where like usually people announce things and you you if anything you withhold details in your extra conservative in an announcement, would you agree with that kind of you try and be a little bit more conservative on this one. It I don't know what the right word is. Almost I felt misled spoken mirrors. Yeah to raid, this should be we were we found a creditor. How the headlines would be different is like we found a creditor to loan us maybe to maybe loan us money. Of course, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Know a little bit about finance. I wouldn't say, I'm why can't turn around a whiz kid?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just heard a noise out the window. You know, if they're if it's alone, that would be need to need to provide you know, payback be returned from a business that is or an entity or a subject or an asset that is hopefully profitable in some way and can pay it back with interest. I don't know if LIFF can do that in its current structure, but maybe some future Live two point zero.
Speaker 3: Might get there. Who knows, all right. Four thirty four twenty one.
Speaker 2: Dan Premack of Axios Business Editor reports Lift Golf says it has a signed agreement quote unquote with the new financing with a quote lead investor. It doesn't idea, then't let lead investor, but it's BC Partners. A source, however, disputes that the deal is signed. I wonder if it's maybe more of an l o I. This is from Axios Business Reporting. So as the day progressed, we just start to see that we peel back the onion and maybe there's nothing in the middle.
Speaker 3: So it's not an investor.
Speaker 2: Maybe some document of some sort maybe signed, but it may be more of an l o I.
Speaker 3: There's all. It's not a it's not the deal's not fully in place and approved by the board. It appears. I mean, we have all this like incredible.
Speaker 2: Language of like enter we want to enter the transaction in September, you know, is it assigned turm sheet? Is it assigned l o I. We're kind of playing fast and loose with what's what's the substance of it. The Financial Times then adds to the report those two gu The Financial Times. Yes, BC Partners is the credit division. The credit division of BC Partners is the investor, as reported by Bloomberg, Yet the path to a final agreement for Live has turned into complex multi party negotiation, according to people involved with BC Partners or other possible investors, seeking assurances that Live Star players will stay with the league, So we will lend, but we must know what we're lending to. Is this lending to John Ram backed or John Ram involved Live Bryce and others. The PIFF is considering paying off those contracts at a discount. I don't quite Are they paying off the contracts or it's just a buyout. It's a buyout of not the full price, paying off those contracts at a discount to settle any potential liability as well to avoid bad publicity. I think the PIF is now interested in publics bad publicity uh from the players to potential any liability, or is to avoid bad publicity, leaving the player's position to sign fresh deals with the BC Partners backed circuit that would include cash as well as equity in the new league. According to those close to the negotiations. O'Neill's public remarks confirmed that equity stakes would be a key selling point to players to convince them to stick with Live with the golfers envision as collectively owning a majority of the tour. A settlement then might come in the form of a prepackaged bankruptcy, where a court process could quickly class league legacy liabilities and allow new investment to come in free of any entanglements from the previous era. Person involved the discussion said, the new investors will need assurances that these players are not going to pursue any more money from the.
Speaker 3: PIFF and say we got stiffed.
Speaker 2: So just to clarify, like, the players need to settle up with the PIFF, maybe not at full but then the new BC partners could lend some money, but only if they may if they know those players will stay and be involved and they'll also become equity holders in this new lived point to two point zero. It's sort of a lot of like you know Spider Man meme, three guys staring at each other, like who's gonna bite.
Speaker 3: First and trigger There is a pathway here.
Speaker 2: I found like the word complex to sort of be a cloak for this is a This is trying to make something that's really shitty into something that's survivable for like a year or two. You know, complex can be a funny word. It can cover a lot of ground, right. Complex can mean good. Complex could mean we're trying to like repair a boat as it's sinking.
Speaker 3: I had a complex morning getting my daughter to eat breakfast. So there's this go ahead. I just read a message I got from, uh, you know, an astute listener of the show who knows knows a lot about this type of these types of transactions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot a lot of those guys coming all over work this week.
Speaker 3: I found said, everyone is taking this live announcement too seriously. Yeah, citing a term sheet is non binding. By the way, if they reject Rahm's contract in bankruptcy, then he leaves, he will be a big creditor and own equity and live. Anyways, they will do everything to dilute him down. But it's pretty funny. Well that's the other issue. Equity.
Speaker 2: Not all equity is created equal, which sounds like almost redundant, Like the lender will have preferred equity the BC, Like, you know, if this thing goes belly up, or it's like not working in a year two years, and they have to liquidate it and all the ascids, whatever's left can be returned to the creditors, it will go to the lender, and then what's left the scraps will end up with these quote unquote player equity most likely player equity holders, right, which wouldn't be probably a lot at the end once they get through whatever they're if in when it goes billy up. So you're also removing essentially like the the one of the large impetuses for for Jon Rahm or someone like with the big contract to remain involved. All right, I've settled up with the piff and that was sort of what was keeping me handcuffed in a very lucrative way to this endeavor. If that's gone, is Genram gonna be.
Speaker 3: Enticed? Do now? All right?
Speaker 2: My contracts settled, let's go back to let's let's go again. Well, let's set sail.
Speaker 3: On this new boat.
Speaker 2: I'm into boat analogies for some reason this morning, that's right. So why Lake Erie number one right at Lake in America? A corne to stay today?
Speaker 3: Not a real public caation.
Speaker 2: So it's like this, these golden handcuffs with the piff right are gone? Is John Ron would be like, well, this sort of complex new arrangement I want to get in on as well. Let's get back on the Live A New boat and go back out to see.
Speaker 3: Can I just talk about where what I find just confounding about this whole situation?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 3: So I think Bryson, it seems like Bryson is not not going to go back to the tour. He does not want to go back to the tour, which I get because he he will just be laughed at if he goes back to the tour. And at the core of Bryson, he wants everybody to love him. And I think, like if I was gonna like dig I think Bryson is like firmly behind this new idea. I think he is like a big part of this because and he's trying to extract as much equity and said idea, whether it's a good idea or a bad idea, Equity's not worth anything if it's a bad idea, and it's gonna just flounder. Here's what I don't understand. And like what I don't get about any of this Live should go to bankruptcy and they should just be done right. And why they should do that is that the brand is just like extraordinarily toxic. Like at the end of the day, you could argue about whether Live is like a good product or a bad product, but for the in the consumer market, the brand is completely toxic. Would you agree with that? Yes? But I okay. So if we say the brand is toxic, then that means that people, like, no matter what you do over the next like two to five to ten years, there are still gonna be huge swaths of consumers that just will not engage with your brand. And what I don't understand about this whole situation is why would anybody, anyone in their right mind invest And it doesn't sound like BC partners are investing, they're just loading money. But why would anyone invest in a brand that is so toxic? So they could do that? This is like, this is a free idea. You could go buy the Sunshine Tour, which nobody has a negative viewpoint of. You could rebrand it and you're away from all these contracts, all these like you know, you're away from John Rahm being a huge equity holder in your company and he doesn't want anything to do with you. You could go buy that and put two hundred and fifty million dollars into that which doesn't have a brand that people have proven not to want to engage with. It makes zero sense to try to save live whatsoever because of the way that their public image is like. So anyways, all these people, all these people Brice It included, Scott O'Neill included, Greg Norman included, they're a bunch of idiots and they think that you could just like it. At the at the end of the day, they tried to take on the tour and they lost. Like they tried to take on the tour with an insane amount of money, five six billion dollars. They tried to just throw money and overtake the tour and the thing that should be taken away from this and you could have had way better strategy than they had. If you want to take on the tour, this is a twenty plus year game. You need to make slow incremental gains, You need to build real fans, you need to like build a product, and you could take them on. All these idiots that are involved with this just think they can win quick with cash and you can't it's so if you wanted to actually try and do this, you should go, like you have to throw away the live brand. You have to start something and actually take a long term viewpoint of this is going to take time, but we will take them down in twenty years, because you can't just overtake. You cannot just topple the longstanding monster brand in a space. It just doesn't work that way. It took Salesforce decades to take down what was it Seebel that they overtook is like the primary customer relationship management software. This is not just an overnight thing. You don't just and these people are morons. They're complete morons, and they don't deserve to run a business. It should go bankrupt and all of them should be whisked away. But like, if you wanted to actually think about doing this, take the two point fifty and buy a brand that people don't viscerally hate. Yeah, I mean there's.
Speaker 2: There's it's a bad public image, horror, toxic brand, but also it's they've it's a horrible business like that seems to cover up the fact that they've they've burned through seven six five seven six billion dollars without really making anything profitable or or anything of substance lasting even at a loss, and and or that's popular or that's useful. It's it's not an attractive business proposition. It's not attractive branding proposition. Does that mean it's dead? I don't think. I don't think so necessary. There might be something that comes, but what is the law term? There is no law term. So what we've lost the piff and it's gonna be better next year. It's gonna have a better chance at survival. We've lost John ram Say he leaves and we've gone from fourteen to ten events. It's like a Bryson Events YouTube tour. Whatever it is, it's gonna be better long term chance. Uh maybe at some sort of shelled scaled down different product, but not at whatever they these players think it is at this current moment or what's being portrayed. It's do you think Wednesday this week was good for the image, good for the bland. That is a serious business and a serious yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing, like you do this whole thing, and you make this announcement and then it comes out that it's like none of this is true. Who wants to do business with you who after two days ago is like dying to give you real money. The thing needs to just it is run its course, and the smartest thing they can do is go bankrupt and get rid of all these contracts and move on to the next thing. Move on this. This is over.
Speaker 5: It's over.
Speaker 3: It's it's not. Yeah, you could keep it going with two hundred and fifty million dollars of a two hundred and fifty million dollar loan, but all you're doing is taking somebody's money with no hope of returning it.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed just to read this lead paragraph from Joe Pompiliano, who writes about business. I think now has its own stubstack quote. It's not hyperbole to say that live golf is one of the least attractive investment opportunities in sports. Just think about what you're buying. The organization has hundreds of millions and liabilities, no guarantee that its biggest stars will be playing there after this year, and its expenses are so high that has lost eight dollars and fifty the sounds for every one dollar and has invested in its product. Even if you wanted to make it work, the world's largest Sovereign Wealth Fund has already pumped six billion into the project and signed some of the sport's biggest names. If that couldn't help Live attract the TV audience, what makes you think a smaller investor with a reduced schedule in smaller tournament persus will and answer that question is maybe they're just looking for a different just a different product, and it's not about a TV Maybe it's a YouTube body and maybe it's just something smaller. But that's not what they're selling right now. It is not an attractive investment opportunity in my opinion, which doesn't need to carry any weight. But if this, do you think they can pull off this miracle? Like say they set piff settles, which I think sounds most realistic, piff just like settles, the contracts the players, several of them aren't going to resign on whatever they do.
Speaker 3: Of Rom's gone, Hatton's gone, Nieman's gone, and at that point, like what do you have you have Bryson? Are you Are you excited about Bryson backing down Scott Vincent.
Speaker 2: To win like world ranking points? Probably gone, it's gone. We're talking about like a some sort of just traveling circus type thing.
Speaker 3: I think like they could make a meaningful YouTube presence possibly, but at the same time, like do you need two hundred and fifty million dollars to do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Soopers might say, I'm not an expert. Peach, Peach, come in here. I got a question for you. We can't withdraw our money from these, Brendan.
Speaker 3: Peach, what do you think is has been Live's greatest three moments, and it's where are we at your four or five?
Speaker 2: I put Anthony Kim, is it?
Speaker 5: That's that's one for sure.
Speaker 2: Anthony Kim winning against rom and Bryson like kind of nuts.
Speaker 5: I could. I could make an argument that Anthony Kim coming out of hibernation is too.
Speaker 2: It's up there.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like the DJ putt at the International in Boston, I feel like was a good, nice little moment. I think he'd beat Nieman if that's right. That was early in the nascent days.
Speaker 4: Of Live.
Speaker 5: Bryson Bryson fifty eight.
Speaker 2: I like Live Adelaide and it's just in general, probably a big moment.
Speaker 5: Two guys won majors technically are recounting those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brooks and Bryson. Yeah, I could say that, but that's not the product itself, that's not live itself.
Speaker 3: What about you doing well? I just wanted to ask this question. So I don't know if this is like the right comp for the wrong comp here, But like if I were gonna if I approach you two and head, here's a five billion dollar budget, and I want you to make a traveling worldwide concert series, like where you have festivals like all over the world and you you get to sign up the acts and they're going to play all around the world. Do you think if you did that, do you think you'd struggle to come up with like four big time moments like where we're talking about DJ Putt. Like the wild thing about this whole thing is like they've spent all this money and they deliver like two good moments a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's like they.
Speaker 2: It hasn't generated you know, it has for some you know, there are fans out there, but in terms of the larger sports zeitgeist, whether it's in America or elsewhere.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't I don't know how good the concerts are, but seems like people enjoy enjoy the post round concerts got a lot of cash.
Speaker 2: It seems like the in person experience is quite good, quite fun, and enjoyable for people who go to these things. I'll give them that based on multiple people, you know, kind of unbiased reviews who have gone that they enjoy that is enjoyable in a young crowd. But I think that depends. It looks like Bedminster's pretty empty this week. Yeah, it's it's we'll see where it goes. I just want to add one little wrinkle from the day that came out was BC Partners and this this totally feels and Leamania and I kind of were at this like reading between the lines. It seems like Bryson is committed. There was this big notion of like in April, you know, he's renegotiating with Piff. Then it's like is he going to stay on? What does he say? Like, what do I want to be at this point in my life? Am I a you know, create content creator or am I a pro golfer?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, it seems like they were going to maybe lose Bryson. Bryson seems committed based on what we've seen this week, whether it's leading players meetings, the what sounds like could be this two point zero being a little bit more Bryson Worldwide Events, YouTube whatever it might be circuit.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: It came out that BC Partners as a leading is a UH. This was Josh Carpenter, BC as a stake in the agency GC GSE Worldwide, which has a large group of players on live including Bryson, Deshambeau.
Speaker 6: UH.
Speaker 2: GSSE the agency UH, they represent Bryson and several others clarified that to Josh Carpenter by saying, we want to provide a clarification regarding BC Partners that are potential financing transaction involving live golf. BC Partners acts as a lender to GSE. Gatemore Capital holds one hundred percent of the companies voting shares. They did not specify what company. It's clearly GC is what they mean. It's just for an official statement. This is straight from the Tortured Language Department. As always, GS continues to operate independently and the best interests of our clients. The reported transaction is a matter for the parties involved. Neither GS nor gate More we're aware of the transaction or are participating in any of those discussions. Our focus remains entirely on delivering exceptional service to our clients. Takes some effort, but not you know, have to be a rocket scientist to read it. But it was just tortured language. BC lends money to GSE. Gatemore is the you know, parent company or owner and operator of GSE, So there is no this lender for Live does not have as it was initially portrayed, a stake in GSE. It's a lender and Gatemore is sort of the owner operator because that would just like gs has, you know, at Pinehurst. I'll never forget. Twenty twenty four, an agent referred to GSC as quote human traffickers. The way they were that may be a little cruel, not my words, but the way they were sort of shipping their funneling guys to Live the time. But they represent PGA tour guys too. Like I'm trying to Sam Burns off the top of my head, a GSE client, they could not be or some investment arm of GC can't be just involved in sort of propping up this new tour competitor tour to the PGA tour. So that was just but it does seem Bryson driven, whether it's an official parent company or official friends of the program capacity. Bryson does seem to have a heavy involvement in whatever this potential two point zero could be. It's a term sheet right now in l o I, or an official contract that comes to fruition in September. So that's business minute.
Speaker 3: You. You know, if you wanted to look at this from a pair of rose colored glasses or tinted glasses, like I have a company for you. Our friends at Shady Race, our back they are, and you could look at You could see golf better. You could see golf in high contrast. They've got their new golf sunglasses with high contrasts lenses that help you read pots, see the ball better. I see that. You know. I'm struggling in my old age to see like long t shots land. Oh yeah, these things help me. I see them better. I can actually like see where the ball lands.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: Do you caddy in these at the western end? Do you have to chaddy in the Shady Rays? Okay, there you go with some young hitters, big hitters. I know it's down there at the western end.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 2: You can go to Shady Rays dot com check out their golf collection and grab a pair with their lost and broken protection. If you use the code shotgun all caps shotgun, you get forty percent off two plus pairs, so you gotta have two at a minimum. That could do more. It looks like shotgun forty percent off two plus pairs of polarized sunglasses with the code shotgun. That's Shady rays dot com. Whether it's polarized color USh, whatever it is, check out the full full allotment there at shady rays dot com. The promo code is shotgun. I think that's it for Live Business Minute. It's an interesting proposition as we move forward, but I wouldn't say this was a positive week. I do think they could get guys to come in. There's all sorts of rumors about who be floating around the peripheral and jump, but it's not a not attractive thing right now.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand why, even in their like, why they are even committed to trying to push forward when you could just go by. There's plenty of struggling owgr accredited tours around the world that you could go purchase and rebrand that doesn't have the live like. I just think they've done so much damage to to the to the golf consumer that you there's no path forward.
Speaker 2: It's a struggle to see it. I think, yeah.
Speaker 3: And at the core of that, if there's no path for with the majority of golf consumers, what's the path forward for the business?
Speaker 2: I think something will survive. It will just be a shell of itself with less players and less events, and but they'll be able to say, whether based on pride or whatever, that we're still here. I don't know that the business will become any more attractive.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Should we bring in Kevin van Volkenberg for a quick flashback Friday? President's Cup Flashback Friday? PJ? Is he ready and available for Flashback Friday? We're live now on YouTube.
Speaker 5: He's coming in. He doesn't have camera on, so give him two minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Andy, I want to do a quick quiz here. I'm getting prepared for USAM. This will be this will be an occasion for you to kind of puff your chest out and have a little fun. The USMO is digging through the field. Just all the crosshairs on this one, age groups where they're from. Who there are all these like you?
Speaker 3: Dig it in.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go up to Philly a couple times next week.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: There are forty five of fifty states are represented. This is just a quick little Friday whimsy quiz. Which five states would you guess? Now we only take twenty minutes trying to guess, but off the top of your head, five states do not have one single representative at the USAM next.
Speaker 3: All right, this is great. I mean the obo the obvious answer is Alaska.
Speaker 2: That is correct, That is one of five.
Speaker 3: I think then you just immediately go to kind of like Montana.
Speaker 2: Montana has won. I went there immediately as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think, then you go to the Dakotas. The Dakotas each have one. I also went there immediately. Yeah, okay, well does each have one? Let's go Delaware. Delaware is correct, Delaware and Alaska. You got two of five. Man out of my guesses, Well.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you can go unlimited guesses. It took me forever to come up with it. The fifth one is going to shock you. I'll just say that Wisconsin. Yes, you know that was the fifth one. Did I lead you there saying you could puff your chair? I could not belie it. I'm just thinking about, you know, like your golf or what. Yeah, Well, honestly, like.
Speaker 3: I I hate to do this to our fine neighbors of the north.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I grew up doing this, you go. I never was successful doing it. But like, frankly, there's there's just more good golfers in Chicago than Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to get so much blumbers game. That's a numbers game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a lot of great golf in Wisconsin. There's great golfers everywhere all right, but everybody's always looking at it. Like if I'm in Chicago, it's like not a far drive to go to Wisconsin. But it's also not just Chicago. It's Iowa. Like Iowa has like limited qualifier site, like limited qualifier spots and always has really good players. So it's like you get this influx of Iowa and Illinois and then you get people from like other places that come in there and it's hard. So Wisconsin's won.
Speaker 2: I was shocked by that. So you you've hit Alaska, Wisconsin, and Delaware.
Speaker 3: You're on the right path.
Speaker 2: With Montana, big western state with limited limited population.
Speaker 3: Idaho has four. I was shocked by that. Then let's go h Louisiana.
Speaker 2: No, Louisiana's got that.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to think of weird. I went here, I did live.
Speaker 2: Hampshire, Maine, New Hampshire each have small amounts. So it's Rhode Island and Delaware. You to little states, little states Alaska and Wyoming. Alaska and Wyoming are the big states with small populations. Rhode Island, Delaware, Alaska, Wyoming. And then Wisconsin was the one that just didn't fit with me. The code is CODs have more people in Wisconsin, New Mexico, Montana, all these plays Hawaii. I guess you know it's a warm state. But listen, it's just Wisconsin more of a point. Milwaukee's a northern suburb of Chicago. It's just just more, you know, just ammo here for the for the take, Ohio has more players in the field than.
Speaker 3: Wisconsin's practically just like an amalgam nation of Iowa, minneap Minnesota and uh and Illinois. I was going to ask you this, this might be the wrong time to asked this. How many real cities are there in America? Like real cities where like when you leave you're you're not saying, well, that's a nice town. Because I do think that town. There's there's a lot of nice towns that get get named as cities.
Speaker 2: What about it feels like you have one on your on your tip your ton. I mean, what's what's an example of one that's called the city? But you think it's just a town.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, what I mean Cleveland?
Speaker 2: I think you're going to say Cleveland, that's.
Speaker 3: Just nice town.
Speaker 2: Accurate. It's got three professional sports teams, it's a massive region, it has like an incredibly old like it was a top you know, by population.
Speaker 3: Let's not go crazy, Austin, Texas. Nice town m not a city.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. The traffic would say otherwise. I think it's pretty populous.
Speaker 3: Boston, Boston, Massachusetts. Sure, okay, nice town.
Speaker 2: This sounds like this sounds like an insane dinner conversation you had this week, but you wrapped yourself into some bad takes pad positions.
Speaker 3: Teaches on board with me with this.
Speaker 7: I mean, look at this this movie about Boston. What's it called the town because it's about Charlestown. It's a little small outer borough of north of Boston proper. That's why I caught the town.
Speaker 5: Very famous town, very famous Boston movie called The Town. Nashville was another option.
Speaker 3: I had nice Town, Nice Town, Nashville. Uh, you got Lston, great town. I mean and and I say this like sometimes it's better to be a town than a city.
Speaker 2: So what's below town?
Speaker 3: Village?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Gathering?
Speaker 2: So what's the of.
Speaker 3: A village now?
Speaker 2: Like is Jacksonville village? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Jack?
Speaker 3: I don't know if Jacksonville is not anything. I think PJ and I we talked about this. I don't We don't think Jacksonville is anything.
Speaker 5: There was a lengthy Jacksonville segment.
Speaker 2: You guys are complete clowns. This sounds like a disaster.
Speaker 5: He never answered the question though, of how many cities are there in America Reels.
Speaker 3: I would say every every.
Speaker 2: Every city that has a professional sports franchise is a city. But in Jacksonville, green Bay is the city. Yes, that's a good That's that one almost pucked a hole though in my.
Speaker 5: You said yes because you didn't want it to focal.
Speaker 2: I'm a principal, I'm a standing on my corner on principles.
Speaker 3: That's a disingenuous Yes, green Bay genuous. That's started. You didn't believe it it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd say that's a good test. Professional sports, proper, hospital, proper, you know, orchestra universities like things like that, like Cleveland has might be a good What are you basing it on?
Speaker 4: PJ?
Speaker 5: We settled on two. The answer was too There are two cities in the United States of America, New York in Chicago.
Speaker 2: I can't believe the guy from New York and the guy from Chicago settled on this at dinner, and now we've brought our entire audience into this insane exercise.
Speaker 5: If there was a third, we decided it would be Washington.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles is what just a region?
Speaker 3: Los Angeles? He talked about Los Angeles probably the most. Yes, the problem is it's like a city, but it got stepped on, so it's too expansive. I'd say it's density because it got stepped on.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles is more of like a culture than anything than like two.
Speaker 3: You know, now you're getting into it now. Now you're starting to see the light of what we're talking about here. With that answer, I.
Speaker 2: Think New York I think they might be too big. I might go the other way, to be cities.
Speaker 3: Well, then what should they be called? Then?
Speaker 2: A region?
Speaker 3: A region, Like we wanted to give philliate, but people commute from Philadelphia to New York.
Speaker 2: That was a black mark Lebron does the reverse.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, sob of New York.
Speaker 2: I think they would quibble with that. I think they might might take umbrage.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's okay, they can take Umbridge.
Speaker 2: Just I think Philly has its own entire culture, history, identity, and it's very, very far removed from a suburb of New York. If I had to say so, where Philly ends and New York begins is probably a bigger, more substance conversation. So anyways, all right, I could see you guys were busy at the dinner this week in Chicago getting get into the heart of the matter. Uh, do we have KVV ready for flashback Friday? Okay, that's pretty much where KVV stands on this argument. I wonder I'm sure it wouldn't be favorable for Baltimore.
Speaker 4: What a disgusting argument.
Speaker 6: First of all, the first thing I hear when I come onto the podcast is that Montana isn't going to have any representatives in the US, which is disgusting. And then I hear that the entire state is filled nothing but villages, you know. Yeah, and then Baltimore course doesn't going to make the cut. What is That's just a town?
Speaker 3: No chance, Baltimore town.
Speaker 5: We were debating Baltimore suburb of DC. If we gave.
Speaker 3: That. I love hearing that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Baltimore was a city long before when DC was a friggin swamp. PJ, are there anyone? Is anyone actually from d C? Like literally, no, just sometimes get people from surrounding areas. I don't think Brendan knows a single person who's from there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know a lot of people from Montgomery County, Maryland, not necessarily DC.
Speaker 3: I supp okay, I want to reiterate this. I had not reiterate bring to the light why this all started. This all started because somebody said something about the city, you know, and you know, they were talking about Chicago, and PJ said, there's only one city, there's only one place you can refer to as the city with It started with Pj's I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's really how this happened. But but sure we can go with that. I stand by my take that if you say you're going to the city, there's only one city that applies to that.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's not true.
Speaker 2: That's not true. If you're going downtown, does it only mean you're going to the financial district. That's only what it is.
Speaker 3: You can't go down. You can go to Port Rush if you wanted to, I will say, I will say New Yorker. PJ yesterday said this remark to me, I'm dreaming of that hot honey pepperoni pizza from last night.
Speaker 5: It was a good pizza.
Speaker 3: Dream I'm dreaming of a Chicago style pizza from last night, which I actually I've never heard him say any thing about dreaming of New York food period pizza.
Speaker 5: So I've had some good pepperoni pizza here to.
Speaker 4: Be clear, or food period.
Speaker 6: I just thought of like gummy bears and sodas and such that that's what he survived on, like one of those aliens that eat sugar only.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about that? How about that? That's pizza Beachi uh in West of Chicago. Dreaming has PJA dreaming the next day just unprovoked, just playing like the eleventh hole of golf and just comes out of his mouth. I'm just dreaming of that pizza from last night. It was like noon.
Speaker 5: I was hungry. I wanted more pizza.
Speaker 3: It was great. You know, we see it like nine fifty in the morning.
Speaker 5: Ever, I was hungry.
Speaker 2: Kvb's out playing golf. Let's get him. Let's get him going here. What do you have for us for a B Dratty President's Cup Flashback Friday? Of course, B Dratty is the proud sponsor of the uniform provider of the President's Cup for both teams. I got a little little shipment to that this week, Jack lawn Sleeve, Buy it, love it, the Jack lawn Sleeve pullover, towartership things money. If you're a proud American and want to fly the flag, go to B Dratty. Of course, our promo code is ACGS thirty. This is a B Dratty President's Cup Flashback Friday, Kevin, what do you have for us?
Speaker 6: Well, that's the first Flashback Friday we're doing, you know, from the road, from the course, and the reasons will be apparent in a second. Guys, I want to take you back to the nineteen ninety four President's Cup, the original President's Cup, if you will, If you recall, of course, the President's Cup is one of these things that the.
Speaker 4: PGA Tour just invented out of nowhere.
Speaker 6: Dean Beeman decided, you know what, we should have one of these things that looks resembles the Ryder Cup, and not everyone really was thrilled about it.
Speaker 4: Not everyone loved it.
Speaker 2: Trying to make it this podcast existed. You have not a scrutiny that would be on this new fangled cup.
Speaker 3: I've been in tuts.
Speaker 6: Tom Kite, who was like a ninth or tenth in the points standings, basically said to Captain Hill Or when I don't want to play in this, do not pick me, and so they passed over him. Sev never won to shy away from the microphone, was asked what he thought about it, and he said, it's very bad. I think it's a rip off essentially of the Ryder Cup. They've seen how much money the Ryder Cup is making and they're trying to get in on that.
Speaker 4: Don't like imitations.
Speaker 6: Greg Norman declared himself sick ahead of the competition, said he had some intestinal thing.
Speaker 4: Ernie Els, yeah.
Speaker 6: Ernie Els said he had a prior commitment that he had already committed to play in the Dunhill and so he refused to play anyway. So that was kind of setting a little bit of the stage about, you know, just how serious some of this stuff was going to be taken. And the very first day the Americans jumped out to a five nothing lead. It was looking like it was going to be an absolute blowout. The Internationals weren't really much up for the fight. They were there two to two through the second session, but then in the third session is where things kind of got briefly a little bit interesting. The Internationals fought back and won three of the five matches. One of the matches that turned out to be sort of a key match was a match between Bradley Hughes, who had been the replacement for Greg Norman and Craig Perry versus Tom Layman and Lauren Roberts. Now, as you recall it, Lauren Roberts, nicknamed the Boss of the Moss, was known for being a i would say, meticulous player. Decided to take his time various things, and so not only just around the greens, but in general around the holes. So on the twelfth hole, which is a par five at Robert Trent Jones Golf Course, Roberts was given a warning for slow play saying that he had gotten a bad time in the previous hole at the end. By the end of the twelfth hole, he would take it a long time to sort of make a bogie and got a second consecutive bad time. So on the thirteenth tee, the official came over and informed Lauren Roberts that he had to sit out the next hole, that he was suspended from competing in the next hole, which is I've never heard before in match play before since yeah, Tom Layman had to play the next hole all by himself in four ball, and so Craig Perry and Bradley Hughes made a birdie insted of Tom Layman to go up for the match.
Speaker 2: Just happened this, guys just making it up on the fly. Was this in the bylaws?
Speaker 4: That's so I've searched everywhere for like more information about this.
Speaker 6: This only came up to light because Bradley Hughes tweeted about it recently or put a post up about Instagram about it. Was like, hey, you know, slow play continues to be a controversy in golf. You'll never you know, you probably never heard this story.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 6: This didn't appear in any of the like newspaper stories. I messaged Bradley Hughes begged him to come on the pod and discuss what happened. Didn't get a response, but I just thought that was fascinating that a player was forced to sit in the very first President's Cup and one that was just generally not being taken seriously by half the players, that the officials came out and sat Lauren Roberts's ass down on the thirteenth hole so he could not participate in that.
Speaker 3: Could you see the TV coverage playing out now, and obviously we might go to like three commercials while this was going on the camera, the camera is just like you see Lord Roberts just arms crossed, like walking along like on the car path because he has to sit out a strategy.
Speaker 6: I think too, I think this should be more often enforced in these matching I really wonder if he was he allowed to like consult with Layman at all, could he help read a putt?
Speaker 4: Or do you just have to like be removed entirely.
Speaker 6: Like the baseball managers and they get thrown out of the game, They're not allowed to like, you know, signal any strategy or anything.
Speaker 2: So that's amazing that's a great flashback, Katie. I really appreciate you calling him from the I have no recollection.
Speaker 4: Of as a as a tribute.
Speaker 6: I've sat out the last holesary you.
Speaker 2: Had to indulge the state town town village debate while you are in the middle of your.
Speaker 3: Golf I also wanted to just just let you know that yesterday on my college Buddies tax chain that play golf, one of my buddies said, I started watching The Hawk. I'm really enjoying it. And then your piece this morning about the Hawk has fostered debate in the text Chaine about the Hawk and the marriage with with diverse opinions on both sides.
Speaker 6: Well, that's that makes for a good article. Then, right, we've stirred up debate. Perhaps I need to drop into your text thread and defend my take.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Well business Pete dropped in this morning and said, Chad, you might not want to want to want to read this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, whatever, this isn't it like number two on Netflix some of the most popular shows the district.
Speaker 6: Probably another another season of The Hawk. You know, there's a couple of parts here and there that have a little bit of charm, but mostly it's just incredibly stupid.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we like to eat the trash, eat the garbage. We like to eat that in the America. Like's just enjoying it, all right, Kevin, I don't want to hold you up.
Speaker 3: One of the comments from one one one person who watched one episode said, I'm still bad about Happy Gilmore too. I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Check out the newsletter. There's a long time. It takes good and bad regularly.
Speaker 2: Kevin, thank you for joining us. Get back to a round. What a little tidbit about the boss of the loss having to sit out?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Ah god, it's amazing looking back at that ninety four. No, Ernie is kind of a black mark on Earth. Of course, now he's become sorry mark on Ernie skippy.
Speaker 3: It this is this is a this is this is him standing up to the PGA tours, medaling and making up Sure. This is something we talk about on this podcast all the time. Look at this. Look at this. Once the money drives up, Memphis is just being kicked at the curb. It's a perfect example of the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: Well, now he's the uh as the creator of the shield and sort of the unifying try. I think he still has misgivings about the tour operating both sides of the equation at the peak up if I'm not mistaken, or at least that's what he seemed to voice in Melbourne in twenty nineteen. Did you want to talk about FedEx at all? Joseph and I talked now frequently.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is just classic tour, right. They tell us Memphis is important, such a great event, and then as soon as the money drives up, it's just they just kick it to the curb, which I get from a business standpoint, But but don't you know, it's just it's just the classic. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure the money dried up as much as the tour said, we don't want to do.
Speaker 3: This any For the past decade, they've been telling us how out spectacular Memphis is.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean it's like on Wednesday show. Subtext of this and I don't mean this in a callous ways. Like the death of Fred Smith, the chairman and found or FedEx in the past year, played a role, probably whether subconsciously or not, as someone who is, you know, an important figure in FedEx being associated with the PGA tour makes it easier for both sides to re examine the relationship. Probably, but it seems like the tour sort of kind of strutted in and be like, no, but you're right. They've been telling us for years that this is all this is a great thing August, this is the place to be in August, and this needs to be elevated even further. And you know, Jay Monahan, as I said on Wednesday, was like, came short of driving a FedEx. It was just an inch short of driving a FedEx truck around. They were just that was their sugar daddy. And now it's like, well, no, maybe for the sake of our own product, we're not going to do this anymore. But we'll see if FedEx goes away as an umbrella of like the whole deal, the teams like.
Speaker 3: That's going to happen.
Speaker 2: That's that for me is the more significant significant news. Then everyone coming to realization Memphis maybe isn't what where it should be at a for a consequential event late in the season. All right, I don't have much else. Uh Wyndham quick checking the Bow Show sixty one at the Wyndham Championship. Jackson Coyven if he, you know, would got sony five percent of the tournament to play. Still, essentially he would knock out Jackson Coavin from the playoffs. Bow Show, who hasn't won and is two hundred This is two hundred and fifty second start on tour. It goes Patrick Rogers, Mark Hubbard, two hundred and eighty two starts. Bo Hostler, do fifty one are your most starts? He's made fifteen million dollars. I remember when Bo Show was at Olympic. I remember that he was like, God, this guy, this kid. Essentially now he's thirty one, world being amazing. I did an interview with Stu Hagistad when he was going to the Masters first his first Midam. I believe that would have been like twenty seventeen Masters, twenty sixteen Midam, and he talked about like growing up in California and having to like play junior golf against Bo Hostler. It was just like and can't they would be one too? But he specifically cited Hostlers like this demon. I think he's probably a little younger than Stu too.
Speaker 3: Did you see the picture that the Western Am tweeted from the last time they were at Beverly. You know we won where Hostler won. Yeah, Xander, No, I didn't see the picture, so they posted a picture. I'm trying to trying to find it now. But you know that that Western am Sweet sixteen had like an insane you know, everybody goes to the Walker Cup team, right, and this was around the same time as the Walker Cup team, but they took tweeted a picture of the of the of all the Sweet sixteen guys. You had Xander, you had Bo Hostler, you had Scottie Scheffler. Like, it's it's just wild the list. But there's been like eight major championships, I think fifty PGA Tour titles from that Sweet sixteen. It's just nuts when you when you zoom out. But Bo Hostler being none of those at that time would be an insane thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's nuts, man, And I don't want to say like he is. He had the same amateur career as Jackson Coven. Coiven had it all tied like, but he was a stud Valley Huod from junior amateur and like you have this odd deal where he could knock Coven out of the playoffs. You know, this is if the next three days go well, and like a legit stut forever forever, junior college, amateur, it coven wins start three, and here we have Bo the Bow Show, two hundred and fifty two starts and whatever. Fourteen thirteen years later, still looking for one.
Speaker 3: It's it's wild. It's hard, man, it's hard. It also goes to that the just the keeping in mind, whoever is the best at fifteen's rarely the best at eighteen. Whoever's the best at eighteen's rarely the best at twenty two. Whoever's the best of twenty two is rarely the best of twenty seven. And like that's the way golf works. And there's occasionally, like insane outliers that are the best the whole way, but it's almost never the case. And you could look at it right now, it's like unequivocally, you know, Jordan Speeth was the best at age sixteen eighteen twenty one. Then I think JT was the best at twenty five in that same age group, and now Xander's the best at age thirty.
Speaker 2: She speaks first, he shot yesterday, he.
Speaker 3: Shot sixty eight. Everybody frame, all the speed legions. You know, back around Battle. That's a great, great spot for speed. You know when that's kind of speed's kind of ballpark. I love hitting taking iron up first t going O B. And then you're like f it going yeah, go on driver talk the griller. Oh hit iron, hit the cart path O B. That's a shame, honestly. All right.
Speaker 2: That does it for another week on the Shotguns, start Friday episode Friday Morning Whimsay with the side of business. We will talk to you on Monday, wrap up the regular season at the window, prepare ourselves for Memphis, and probably more more significantly, the US Amateur and Marion talked more about that, not just states quizzes on Monday, talk to you then
Speaker 5: Instant product posts and st