Speaker 1: Hello, my friend. Is this month marching in like a lion in your little corner of the world. What's your prediction? Will it go out like a lamb? I think so. Spring officially arrives on March nineteenth. Easter is on the thirty first this year. That's a good sign. The world sacrifices a lot in the harsh winter months, and then life returns fresh and new in the spring. The lamb is an important symbol of purity, goodness, sacrifice. Regardless of the weather, the clouds unleash, the lamb will be with us. March holds another significant date to today's podcast. March twentieth is the birthday of Fred McFeeley Rogers. Fred mcpheeley Rogers mister Rogers to millions of us that were once children frolicking in the neighborhood of make Believe with he and his pals on PBS. He was the creator, the showrunner, the host of the preschool TV series Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. It ran from nineteen sixty eight to two thousand and one through the antics of King Friday the Thirteenth ex The Owl, Daniel Tiger, and others, and of course through the songs Fred Rodin performed like won't You Be My Neighbor, It's You I Like, and you Can Never Go Down the Drain. Young viewers found a safe and calming place where they learned about civility, tolerance, inclusion, sharing, self worth, and mostly unconditional love. Years later, two time Grammy and Emmy Award winning composer and producer Dennis Scott, whose songs have been recorded by such an artist is Ray, Charles, Allison, Krause, Sugarland, Crystal Gale, Amy Grant, the Muppets, and many others, has taken a library of Mister Rogers tunes and created a tribute album with new arrangement and a who's who list of recording artists and performers, like the theme song Won't You Be My Neighbor performed by The Cowsills. Sometimes People Are Good by my friend Rita Wilson, Oh How I Love Her? Many Ways to Say I Love You is sung by Vanessa Williams. This is My Home with Jim Brickman, Let's be Together Today, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Junior. It's such a good feeling. Kelly Pittler recorded that one and half a dozen more that we will get to hear about during our conversation. Today. I'll be welcoming Dennis Scott, producer of Thank You, Mister Ros Music and Memories, to the podcast after I've extended a warm welcome to one of today's podcast sponsors, Laura Geller. I don't know about you, but my skin suffers in the wintertime and I have to take extra steps to keep it moisturized and happy. Laura Geller Beauty is giving us some much needed love during these cold winter months with the serum Blush cheek tint. It contains hyriallonic acid, which makes it refreshingly hydrating for thirsty dry skin. A few dabs with the easy applicator and the lightweight and refreshing formula will give us a natural, flushed finish that's just enough for me most days when I'm at home or running errands. Or it can be built up for a more pigmented look for a special occasion, or if we just want a little more glam. It's available in seven different shades, so even if the one and that's perfect for me doesn't work for you, I guarantee there's a one that will treat your skin and treat yourself to some extra love this winter with the weightless feel of Laura Geller's serum Blush cheek tint. You can find it and so many soothing, lovely beauty products at Laurageller dot com. That's Laurageller dot com. Welcome to Love Someone. Dennis Scott, my sister who produces our podcast, sent me notes earlier about this, and I got so excited in my spirit because I started thinking back to all the times in my life. I'm a little bit older than most of the kids who grew up with mister Rogers, but I have a son who's a police officer now that did and I was thinking back to all the times that after the show was over, we would have really important conversations about what he had just watched. Oh, really re touching conversations because I was a single mom and we have a very different family dynamic than a lot of people. And it was through the Mister Rogers neighborhood that opened up a lot of those really important conversations. And I thought, I wonder how many millions of children's lives were touched by the words and the music and the love, because it really boils down to love of mister Rogers.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I can verify what you're saying, because in the process of working on these albums of his music, I got to be in touch with tons of people who, like you say, grew up with him and whose lives were directly affected with him. The most incredible stories from people who were either in the hospital or things were happening in their lives, and he took the time out of being an on ear personality and producing his shows and writing the music and writing the scripts and directing the shows, he would write letters, I mean by hand. He would write letters and take the time to address what was going on in their lives. In some cases, there's a story of one girl who I hate to put it this way, but she had a disease. She had half her brain removed. Mister Rogers got on a plane, didn't even really know these people, got on a plane, went to her hospital room and just sat with her and brought his puppets and entertained her. And her life was changed and she's better now. And I mean, you can't make up this stuff.
Speaker 1: No, Nope, you can't. You can't. And the music that just poured out of him. I met a woman years ago who was married by mister Rogers. A lot of people don't know he was an ordained minister, right, and she and her husband were married by mister Rogers.
Speaker 2: Oh how cool.
Speaker 1: But she was talking about at the ceremony, the same sweet simplicity and the same genuine love that you saw on television. She said, that's him twenty four to seven. Like it wasn't an act, it wasn't a script. He truly genuinely was that kind.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that I hear from people all the time as well. He he was the real deal. He walked the walk, talk the talk. In fact, when I started these projects, like you, I was a little beyond the a's of age of watching him growing up. But in the process of working on them, I learned more about him, and I was a skeptical too. I said, oh, this can't Nobody would do this, nobody would take the time. And he really was the way he was, and good golly, we're lucky to have had him.
Speaker 1: So what's the backstory? How Dennis did you decide one day, you know what, I think we need a little more mister Rogers neighborhood, and I think we need these artists to record these eclectic, sweet, unique songs. I mean he had unique arrangements when you think about it, and when you listen to music as much as I do, very unique arrangements that he created. What propelled you into this project, I guess is what I'm asking.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a background in producing and writing children's music, and I've worked with Sesame Street people like that, and I've had experiences working with celebrities putting their takes on other people's songs. So one day I was in the kitchen just eating a sandwich and I had the TV on and they were doing a rerun of mister Rogers' show, and he was singing this charming song called It's You I Like And I just had to stop chewing and listen to the song and said, this is a great song.
Speaker 1: And wasn't there written for the little boy that was in the wheelchair? I remember, the child that was a regular on his show. Came more than Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was written before he was there, but it came to be associated with him because mister Rogers developed a relationship with him throughout the years. But as I'm sitting watching him, it occurred to me, I wondered, has anybody else besides mister Rogers recorded these songs, because the problem is, you get a little pigeonhole you think, oh, it's on a children's show, so it must be a children's song, and it's not something that an adult would listen to. But being a songwriter as well, I could tell that this was a well crafted song, well thought out both lyrically and musically, and after researching, I found out that really nobody else had ever covered his song. So I said, this is an idea, and I was just compelled to do it. I just felt I had to do this, and I'm glad I did. It changed my life too, because at the first it was, oh, I wonder if I can make something of the song, and how I can change and how I can arrange it and get different artists to put their stamp on it. So at first it was a challenge, but in the course of the first album and a second one, that's when it became part of my spirit because I felt, I am really, I'm really working with treasures. These songs are all gems.
Speaker 1: They are national treasures, they are international treasures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you asked for a backstory. At first, when I approached mister Rogers company. He had already passed, but they were very protective of his material and they said, well, we don't care how many Grammys you've had, you know, this is mister Rogers' stuff. And I said, please give me a chance. And I pursued them for a year and finally they said, okay, if we say yes, will you go away, which is what most people say to me, And so they handed me the keys to the kingdom and we got started on the song. And the first album had bj thomas On and Amy Grant and it was just.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The most special moment for me was when the album was done and I turned it into mister Rogers' people, including Missus Rogers, who was chairman of the board of his company, and I got a phone call from her and I was biting my teeth, sinking, oh my gosh, what if she doesn't like it? And she got on the phone said, Dennis, I just listened to the album. I want you to know I loved it, and Fred would have loved it. I said, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's all I need. So you did the entire thing before they heard a single song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I guess that's a leap of faith.
Speaker 1: That's a huge leap of faith, because I if i'd been his wife, I would say, Okay, I'll let you record one half of one song and then I will listen to it carefully and dissect it. I don't know that I would have given you the keys to the kingdom, but thank god they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it turned out to be the thing I'm most proud of of anything I've done.
Speaker 1: Wow, that says a lot, given how many projects you've been involved with.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The thing is, most of the time people call me and say, hey, I need an album about Wales. Can you write me thirteen songs about Wales? And I'll say, sure, what color. I'll have it on your desk by nine thirty tomorrow morning. But in this case, it was something that came out of me from watching mister Rogers. I didn't expect it, I didn't ask for it, but it happened, and it really has changed my life too.
Speaker 1: I have watched pretty much everything I can find about mister Rogers, and I have yet to see anything except good wittiness about this human being.
Speaker 2: He understood people, and he understood the human heart, and he knew how to deal with it and his ability just to listen to other people. I've been told by people that they would go into his office, come out an hour later, and whatever was on their mind, whatever was going wrong, they were cured. And then as the musical side of it, which also acts in a different way, sort of like music therapy for people, because he was able to get his message across as only he could. And that's where the challenge was. Because mister Rogers delivered his songs as only he could, and of course he had the great Johnny Costa working on arrangements with him. But the question is, how do you take a mister Rogers song and make it into something that's more accessible to an adult or at least more in the pop vein that were all accustomed to listen to. And it was a challenge, but it was also a delight to see how well it worked out. And when the artists would hear it, I gave them the autonomy to go ahead and pick out a favorite mister Rogers song and I'd narrow it down for them because he wrote over two hundred songs, and then we'd go over it together. And growing up with some of these artists like Marion Luku and Billy Davis and the Costles, whose style I was familiar with. I wanted to do honor to their style at the same time do honor to mister Rogers.
Speaker 1: So that was going to be my next question, and you just kind of let into it. The people that are recording these songs are people that would have heard them during the time that mister Rogers was on TV, you know, Amy Grant and the Cowcils. Vanessa Williams. Oh my gosh. As I'm reading the list of artists, I'm like, I remember I was on the station in Seattle when her song was a hit. Oh I remember I was on the station in Reedsport when it was you know, the Monkeys. Oh I remember when. For me, my memories are tagged to songs that were hits based on what station I was at, which then identifies what relationship I was in, or what child I was raising or whatever. And as I'm going through the list of artists, they're all such amazingly talented musical greats.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean for me too. I mean I was a big Monkeys fan, maybe a little bit bigger Beatles fan, but.
Speaker 1: Well, the Beatles had more commercial success. But the Monkeys were cuter.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, people say sometimes they say I look like Davy Jones a little bit, And I said, okay, that's a compliment. You can't see, but I'm just as short as he was.
Speaker 1: He's adorable.
Speaker 2: But to be standing next to some of these people, it's really hard sometimes to keep your producer hat and say, okay, we got to record this and get over the fact that person right there, that's Mickey Dolan's He was the Monkeys, and I've listened to them. It was, you know, it's a strange thing, out of body experience, a.
Speaker 3: Perfectly beautiful day to say and hello, go welcome. It's a perfectly beautiful and high neighbor. The Monkeys. Our demographic was older ten to twelve, fourteen year old. Mister Rogers, of course played four six eight years old, and I watched the show with my child Amy, and he made little kids feel safe and happy and warm and fuzzy and cozy, like a you know, like a Teddy Bear or something like that. The name of the song is perfectly beautiful day, and very typical of him and his personality and his show. He just made you feel really comfortable of you close.
Speaker 4: Shame.
Speaker 1: When I do these podcasts and I get to, you know, look in the eyes of people that I have admired for years. It is an out of body experience, and sometimes I'm like, what do I say? I'm you know, I'm tat tat. I got to do a podcast a few weeks ago with Gloria Gaynor, and oh my gosh, you know her song was the anthem of my life when I was a young person, and you must have had a lot of those just out of body experiences with the list of these people. I'm Sandy Patty, Yeah, I love Sandy Patty. Lee Greenwood, Oh my gosh, I feel like putting my hand over my heart and standing up when I hear Lee Greenwood's name mentioned.
Speaker 4: When the day turns into night, neighbor and you're weavy, my said mister Rogers. Neighborhood carved out a piece of American culture that was extremely important, not just in the sixties or seventies, but even today. I mean, we need to reflect on those things. It took you to a place that was soft, it was gentle, and it wasn't just for the kids. Because I kind of like watching it. All of the songs that we're singing recapture part of the generation that I lived through. When I'm singing on the album, it's memory, like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember this.
Speaker 4: You know too, No, my dear, thank you, mister Rogers.
Speaker 2: We love to be in your neighborhood, you know. And the great thing is when when the people who you admire, who you live with were part of the soundtrack of your lives, when you're actually with them and they turn out to be just regular nice people who live, breathe and eat and everything else. I mean, that's so gratifying. Just when they put you at ease already and say, hey, let's make some music together. That's when it gets special.
Speaker 1: So what was one of your favorite moments of putting together the mister Rogers projects? What was one of your like that you will cherish in your heart forever?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, where do I start? Good golly, it's like picking your children, you know what. I think, As strange as it may sound, I loved working with the Castles because they were just so down to earth and they were genuinely interested in getting mister Rogers' song, and they were so thrilled when I told them, Okay, you're going to be singing the theme song, and they said, we get to sing that, oh, And they were so genuinely excited. And when you see things coming together, when people don't always know that, you just don't snap your fingers and all of a sudden you're in the recording studio. It took months and months and months to coordinate schedules and get past contracts and managers and things like that. So when it finally happened, I walked in and there they were, and we just hugged each other. We're just also happy to be there. Susan Cassel, she had some really interesting experiences watching mister Rogers because they had some people may know that they had a kind of a turbulent life growing up in their household, and mister Rogers was a safe place for them. And they say, he put on that sweater and all of a sudden they felt good.
Speaker 1: That is the quintessential moment of peace, when he puts on the sweater.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: So what are you hoping that this collection of music will do for us? I mean, you didn't go through all those hoops and jump through all those hoops and all those contracts and all that just for somebody to be able to listen to music. What is your hope, Dennis, that this will do? And I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I know what my hope for it is. So tell me what you're hoping to birth here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a great question because I never dreamed that I would be an advocate of mister Rogers's music. I knew I could record it, and I know we could do some wonderful things with his music because it started out as being wonderful. But now I'm kind of on a campaign to make sure that his legend and his music does not get lost. I feel that some of the new productions that are coming out they're forgetting his music, they're not incorporating it into the show. And it's like we said, it's a treasure trove of wonderful things and the messages that are built into the music. So I'm on a campaign to get mister Rogers inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. And I truly believe that, along with the Gershwins and the coll Porters and people like that, he is so much a part of our lives and the music is worthy of that. And you would think Oh, that's a no brainer. You know, of course we'll put him in there. Well, no, it's not. It just doesn't happen quite.
Speaker 1: That way, Dennis. What can people do if they want to help motivate the powers that be to induct Fred Rogers into the Music Writers Hall of Fame? Like, what can I do? What can I personally do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if they go to change dot org, you can sign the petition and by getting mister Rogers into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, we'll kind of solidify his position in the history of American music and the Great American Songbook.
Speaker 1: Change dot org and then sign the petition.
Speaker 2: So I kind of feel that I want people to listen to his music, and I think by creating these arrangements of it, it gives it another chance because a lot of his shows are not being rerun on TV anymore. So even though the movies that came out they're really helpful. But you know, music is powerful.
Speaker 1: It is so powerful, and I think his lyrics they heal our soul. I mean, if everybody around the world could sing won't you be my neighbor once or twice a day and believe it? Think of the problems that we would solve in the world if we had that notion of I want you to be my neighbor. I want to get to know you. I wanna I want to break bread with you. I want to share your experiences. I want to hear what makes you happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So mister Rogers was quoted as saying when people ask him, well, what is the secret to a successful life and a good life, and he said, be kind, be kind, be kind, And that was the rallying cry of his messages and talking about how the music gets involved in our lives. When I heard Vanessa Williams do her rendition of a song called there Are Many Ways to Say I Love You, which is also this jewel among his collection of songs. I find myself now when I you know, when I make a sandwich for my wife and she's not expecting it, that's that's a way to say I love you. There, and mister Rogers hit it right on the head. Doesn't always have to be you know, getting down on one knee. It's like, you know, here, here's a flower.
Speaker 1: Here's a sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're a sandwich.
Speaker 5: There are many ways to say I love you, my neighbor, just by being there when things are sadden scary. I'm Vanessa Williams. I'm a singer, I'm an actress, I'm a mother of four, and I'm a huge Fred Rogers fan. He made you feel as a child that you were in a place of just pure gentleness. That's how to say.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 5: The song that I'm doing for the Mister Rogers project is the Many Ways to Say I Love You, which is perfection. As a child, you appreciate the music, but as a musician, you really appreciate the music. If Fred were here, I would give him a big hug and tell him that he's always in my heart.
Speaker 1: My husband and I have a very unique marriage, and that we don't live together. He lives in another state because his life was established there and my life was established here, and the time has not come yet when we have accomplished what God has called us to do in both places. But we talk umpteen times a day, and then he comes up one week out of the month usually, and we have this little thing between us where he'll look at me and you'll say, I told you today how much I love you, And then mentally I reel off all the times he made me a sandwich or brought me a cup of tea, or because his love language is acts of service, and then he'll do the same to me. And I think that song in particular really helps us to realize that you don't need a fancy card or a dozen roses. You need to recognize when the people you love are showing you their heart, are showing you their compassion, their kindness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, his music is now not just something that I did, It's something that I live now because of these messages that just permeated and are now in my brain.
Speaker 1: So if we can have everybody in my listening audience fine and listen to although I got to say, I've got the most awesome, amazing listeners in the universe. So maybe we could, I don't know, get it into schools so that young people could hear these messages. Absolutely, I mean, if we could have won't you be my neighbor? Or let's be together? It's such a good feeling. If we could have these played in the hallways of grade schools, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if people listen to them, I mean, some of them will say if you tell them, well, who wrote that song? They would have no idea, But once you make the connection that it's mister Rogers, it's not only a great sounding song, but it's a meaningful song. So you're killing two birds with one stone.
Speaker 1: It makes that heart connection.
Speaker 4: HM.
Speaker 1: I am so thrilled that Dennis decided to create this wonderful musical tribute to mister Rogers. There's so many people involved that it's worthy of a long conversation. We'll get right back to it once I've shared some information about another very important contributor to today's chat, my podcast sponsor, the compassionate Folks of Mercy Ships. Mercy Ships has been transforming lives for over forty years. Many people in our world have no access to healthcare, and as a result, they must endure pain and suffering. But with the support of volunteers and donors, Mercy Ships can go to these communities and perform free surgeries, surgeries that help mothers see their babies for the first time, surgeries that allow little boys and girls to run and play. They change lives through the work they do. Now, thanks to the launch of the Global Mercy the first custom built hospital ship of its kind, they can help even more people. The Global Mercy is projected to serve one hundred and fifty thousand patients over the next five decades. Four year old Amato from southern Senegal was the first to receive surgery on the Global Mercy Born with one windswept leg and one bowed leg, he missed out on so many things kids love, but thanks to the treatment he received from Mercy Ships, Amadu can't wait to run around with his friends and he dreams of all that. Liz Ahead learn more about Mercyships at mercyships dot org. So what are your hopes in the future for this crazy world that we are, this planet that is spinning? Oh my gosh, I know that's a big question.
Speaker 2: I think mister Rogers has probably a better answer for that. You know. It's like you say about music, because the world has a lot of things going on and we wonder, you know, what can we do and is it always going to be like this? And mister Rogers one of his famous quotes when nine to eleven came out, people he said, look for the helpers, look for the helpers, for the helpers. And he was a helper and his music is a helper. So you know, I just encourage people Look, if you don't know mister Rogers, take a listen to some of these songs. Even if you don't stream them, you don't buy them. You know, that's okay. I've got a second job, or I'll get a second job, but I do. I just want people to listen to and I love seeing what they have to say about it afterwards, and having spoken to so many people. The reason this album is called thank You, mister Rogers is because, well, here's another backstory there. It wasn't even going to be a music album. I mean, I did a first album which was totally music, and then this one, which I had no financial backing for. I couldn't get a record label behind it. I couldn't get anybody to invest in it. And in fact, all right, you're the only person I've ever told this to online. But the new mister Rogers regime there, of which he is not a part of anymore, they called me up one day and say, and Dennis, we know about you, You've had done great things. We would rather you not be doing this album and don't call us. And that was a dark day, and I wrestled with it and I cried a little bit, and I said you know what, I just have to do this. I'm going to do this and so, you know, little help for my son's five point twenty nine fund. I made the album and I just want people to hear it, because I don't think without putting it out there, people will know about mister Rogers music. Now, there were times in the creation of this album, I said, really, I mean, there was one time I think I was supposed to go out to do a record the people in California, and there was a huge storm, a thunderstorm in Nashville, and they kept delaying the flight again and again. And the next morning is when we had our recording session. Now I want to say it was with Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis. And at four am the flight left Nashville because there was finally a clearing and I got there. I was half asleep, but we went into the studio and we did it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you for doing did us this tribute to mister Rogers. Thank you for not giving up, for not listening to the naysayers, and thank you for being with us on Love Someone. Now, we just got to get the word out so that people can be blessed and touched and inspired by the beautiful music mister Rogers created and the new life that you've breathed into it with these wonderful artists.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you and bless you for bringing it to everybody's attention, and mostly to the ears, because I think they're going to it's going to put a smile on their face when they hear it.
Speaker 1: Indeed, mister rogers Neighborhood emphasized young children's social and emotional needs. That was different than any other children's programming, which focused more on learning, school readiness ABC's one, two threes, Colors and Shapes. Mister Rogers embraced sensitive subjects like the fear of being flushed away, both figuratively and literally, bullying. He tackled divorce, He tackled moving, changing family dynamics, and all of it in an unhurried, deliberate, caring, sincere style that would be emulated countless times as children's programming took off. He had a song for everything, and even I, who am just a teeny bit older than kids, weaned on the neighborhood of make believe know them through our babysitting experiences. When we became parents, ourselves Dinnis and his musical friends have helped to bring them to life again with Thank You mister Rogers Music and Memories. It's now available at Thank youmister Rogers dot com. You can learn more about Dennis at Dennis Scottproductions dot com. Dennis has served as both musical director and the composer of over one hundred songs for the BBC children's series Nobody and most recently Bjay's Teddy Bear Club. He offers award winning musical and creative services from his Nashville, Tennessee studios. His talented team specializes in audio production, music composition, original lyrics, arranging, talent contracting, music supervision, sound design, scripting, and continuity. Thank You, mister Rogers Music and Memories is the album you didn't know you needed, but you do, we all do. It's the rebirth of something simple, something sweet, something profound that we've lost the lamb against the Lions. Happy Easter, happy Spring, happy happy everything, Happy birthday, mister Rogers. I hope you are experiencing some sunny days, some happy times, some moments of hope and joy. Thank you for spending time with me. Now go out there and love someone