Speaker 1: Hey, the folks.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, August fourteenth, and at some point when Trump put his name on the Kennedy Center, you might have thought John F. Kennedy must be turning over in his grave. Well now he's probably just laughing. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ, where this is hilarious. Trump is still fighting to get his name on the Kennedy Center, right, not.
Speaker 1: Trump, it's the board. He has nothing to do with it. He can't help it if everyone else wants his name on that center. What's a president to do?
Speaker 2: Robes this. I don't know why he's not embarrassed by this. This is something that most people would call pathetic.
Speaker 1: Because you have to be able to self reflect and be able to actually take an outside perspective and do some sort of You have to be willing, uh huh, to go outside of your desires and your wants and actually look at it from another lens.
Speaker 2: Why does anyone want this? It's the Kennedy Center, Robes. You go there and you almost tiptoe, you walk quietly because it is a memorial and you do respect what it is. He wants his name Wait, excuse me, already put it before Kennedy's once before, and it had to come down by judge's order. Robes, Why is it important for him to have his name on that building?
Speaker 1: I don't know, is my answer, my honest answer. But I do know that if he it seems like he would be happy if his name was on every building, because that's what he does. I mean, just walk around Manhattan. His name is everywhere already. So yes, to your point, why would he care?
Speaker 2: Robes, national monuments? Okay, you developed the building, name them all after you don't care, not yourself out. Every golf course called it Trump one, Trump two, Trump three. I don't knock yourself out. Those are your private businesses. These are established monuments, robes and memorials.
Speaker 1: Because maybe that means that it's forever. I mean this now he goes down in US history. It's more than just having a real estate zip code where you've got a building named after you. That's anybody can do that. Anybody can buy that. You can't purchase your name on a national monument. You can't purchase your name on a fleet of ships.
Speaker 2: He's building the Arc or the Trump Arc de Trump or yes, that thing he's building that he's getting the whole fleet. His name's everywhere. He got two terms as President of the United States. He is the most consequential guy maybe in the history of that office, good and bad.
Speaker 1: He even takes pride in the fact that he's so important that people keep trying to kill him.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will remember you, sir, Kennedy sent her Why why so here we go, folks, the Trump Board. Yes it's the Kennedy Center Board, but you get my point. That was actually an accident and it was accurate. The Kennedy Center Board that is full of Trump appointees, has voted to once again add his name to the building roades. It's how they've decided they want to go about doing it that makes this a hilarious story that I don't know why he couldn't be embarrassed by.
Speaker 1: Agreed, and the byeline on the New York Times made me laugh. The vote to add restored and renovated by President Donald J. Trump is an aggressive test of a judge's order to remove his name.
Speaker 2: They went a lot of awards there because that's some very creative writing. Because what they're trying to say is, y'all ain't gonna believe the shit they trying to pull exactly. That's why they work at the New York Times, and that's why I'm doing my own podcast. We communicate differently.
Speaker 1: But yes, here's what happened. Yes, there was an hour long board meeting. It happened via zoom. This happened on Thursday, and the meeting's purpose was to vote on a renovation plan. Right, like, this is still up in the air as well. If the center can be closed, what the renovation plans are going to actually be because Trump certainly has said that he couldn't. Didn't They say he couldn't raise the funds necessary if his name wasn't on the buildings.
Speaker 2: Who wants to give to the Kennedy Center. But if it's the Trump Kennedy Center, sign me up.
Speaker 1: Let me open my wallet. Yes, so that was the argument. But okay, so they're voting on a renovation plan. But then they also voted on something none of us were expecting.
Speaker 2: Right they said this was a surprise line item, did they not? And they brought up adding his name back to the building. Now this vote in up twenty to three, overwhelming, really robes Obviously they think this is a good idea.
Speaker 1: Obviously it's the will of the people or the board that Trump appointed.
Speaker 2: A reminder, yes, he fired fourteen or eighteen folks when he first came back, and then put another fourteen plus and made himself share of the board of the Kennedy Center. So there you go. So they voted to add his name. Robes, I can't even believe somebody with a straight face came up with this idea.
Speaker 1: Yes, because they found a way to circumvent any potential future judge's order to take down the name, because if you engrave it into the damn building, you can't take it down. How's that for a creative, aggressive idea.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that, Robes, I cannot believe this is happening. So the name, the new official name that is going to be of this so it won't write it's your understanding as well, So it will no longer just be the Kennedy Center. It'll be the Kennedy Center, Dad with all this stuff, right?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: The official title?
Speaker 1: Correct? All right?
Speaker 2: The official new.
Speaker 1: Title, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, restored and renovated by President Donald J. Trump.
Speaker 2: That's not a joke, people, Why just let it go. Take the damn tarp down, and let's all move on.
Speaker 1: The fact that the tarp. We haven't gotten into this. The tarp is still up. So look, they put a tarp up when they were putting his name up, immediately took it down Dan Da Da Dam. Within hours of the vote. They had his name up on that building in front of John F. Kennedy, on top of right when he was ordered. When they were ordered to take it down, they dragged their feeb. When they finally did, they put a tart back up and it's never come back down. How long has that tart been up now?
Speaker 2: Early June. I think it was so the world won't get a chance to see what I guess he would perceive as a humiliation, which is it being restored to the Kennedy Center. Are they really trying to push this robe to keep that thing there until they can find a way to add his name back and then they'll take the target. The answer is yes, and that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, the answer has to be yes. There's no other explanation for keeping the tarpaup. This is a weird obsession, and like you said, it does read pathetic. And I don't know why he can't see that no one around him is willing to tell him.
Speaker 2: That restored and why restored and renovated by President Donald J. Trump.
Speaker 1: And that's not it, folks. They're also and they also voted to rename the plaza in front of the Kennedy Center Trump Plaza.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that wouldn't that be enough? Can we compromise? Just okay?
Speaker 1: If fine with that, let him have it.
Speaker 2: It really is like you're trying to satisfy a spoiled child. I please, folks, I'm not comparing the president. I'm not calling him a child, not name calling here, just the recognition of the behavior, how he could be viewed here, that you are that it's so important to get his name on this memorial to that guy? Does he just want to be connected to that legacy? Kennedy is other level in terms of how he's revered, robes and he was shot and killed in front of the world, right, So is that what it is?
Speaker 1: Maybe he feels a kindred spirit to Kennedy because they both have been shot at I don't know. I can't possibly understand. I'm waiting for the next ball to drop where we hear that sixteen hundred Pennsylvania Avenue is going to be renamed sixteen hundred Trump Avenue. I mean, seriously, that's where we are right now. Didn't laugh at that at all, You didn't.
Speaker 2: That was a little scary, because this is I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote, if there's graffiti on the MLK Memorial in DC right now and he sends the Park Service to clean it off. If you told me he's changing the name of that to the Trump MLK Memorial, I wouldn't flinch.
Speaker 1: I guess at this point we shouldn't flinch, because that's everything we're talking about. Is akin to any of those other items being added to the list of things he would like his name on.
Speaker 2: This one was pretty stunning to me. But this board, remember yes, he fired them soon as he got back into office, name himself chairman. Now you remember all those ropes. After he took over and did a lot of this stuff, people started dropping out left and right.
Speaker 1: We had one story after the next, where you know, like annual beloved traditions with certain artists who came in around the holidays, who opened the doors to the Kennedy Center to children and invited them in and exposed them to the arts, meaningful, powerful concerts. All of those musicians, pretty much all of them canceled and were pained to do so, personally, professionally, and even socially, like they knew that there was going to be a sacrifice. They actually looked at it as that a financial sacrifice and maybe even a cultural sacrifice for people because they had to take a stand.
Speaker 2: So that's what's been happening at the Kennedy Center Robes really for the past year and a half, and it's been unfortunate, and I think a lot of people agree that it does need is in need of renovations. But all of this it didn't help that sales have dropped off. They say, subscriptions have dropped off substantially. And it was in December that they voted of last year to add his name, and already Robes ticket sales and things were down. When that happened in December, that's when all those Christmas and all those cancelations started happening. Folks refused to come there. And then another hit. He took Robes. I forgot about this, he insisted on I say, insisted, this is one of the things. Right.
Speaker 1: They asked him to what can you say, as the people want me to host Kennedy Center Honors, And there had never been a president, a sitting president, to host the Kennedy Center Honors ever.
Speaker 2: But he put out a statement at the time how desperate they were. They asked me because they need viewership. They know there'll be huge ratings if I do it. It was the lowest ratings in the history of the Kennedy Center Honors. Three million watched him do it, and that was his first time attending because he skipped it all the years that of his first term.
Speaker 1: And that couldn't have felt good to him, could it. He can't, like that's his lifeblood, that the ratings. How many people showed up on the National Mall during his inauguration. He's obsessed with crowds, the whole two hundred and fiftieth celebration, in the crowds on the mall, like those were all things that are dogging him and driving him nuts when they aren't the best, the biggest ever, like this is what the highest rated ever? So when you have the opposite, oh yeah, that makes him crazy. And then of course the judge ordered his name to come down and that was removed. We're told on June some photographers have gotten a side view to actually show that the name is down, but no one's gotten that big front view of his name off the center. And that's exactly what they are intending to keep that hidden until they can, I guess, and we're seeing it play out right now. Exhaust every option to get his name back on. I just the idea of doing it permanently, engraving it into the building. I feel like that feels so disrespectful. It's one thing, it's awful enough to put the letters above Kennedy's name and have them be the same type of lettering placed or affixed on top of the but to engrave it into that actually feels more like writing on someone's grave. That is like you're engraving that is.
Speaker 2: You're desecraating somebody's memorial. I don't know how that's not comfortable, but that's it's bizarre. But stay here. We want you to hear there's one congresswoman who has been behind this effort to make sure his name came down. She had a pretty powerful statement. We'll let you hear what she had to say. And also it is important to note this Kennedy Center is going to get renovations. We think the board did give three options. We'll let you know what they are.
Speaker 1: Stay here, Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. Can't believe we are still talking about Trump's name on the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 2: This was over.
Speaker 1: I thought it was over. I mean, it wasn't totally over until the tarp comes down. But now we understand why the tarp is stayed up because they say.
Speaker 2: They said something.
Speaker 1: I never heard anything that made any sense.
Speaker 2: Something to do with construct. No, it didn't make sense, but it was something about construction.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's still up. And now yes, they're trying to engrave his damn name on the building itself. And you mentioned the congresswoman Democrat from Ohio who was initially on the board. Correct, she was on the Kennedy Center board, I believe, And so she was one of the dozen or so who were fired by Trump and replaced by his folks. So, yes, she has made it her personal mission to try and stop this from happening. And she's the one who filed that original suit to remove his name. Well, she, yes, has had something to say about this latest effort by the new Trump Trump Board on the Kennedy Center, and she had this to say.
Speaker 2: Quote, this latest development is a transparent effort to circumvent the court's ruling and flies in the face of the statutes that Congress passed. I will continue to fight for this treasured national monument ROAs we need to remember that that is a very important thing. This is a transparent effort. Like these folks ain't hiding a lot of what they do ropes. They come out right out and say out loud, yep, one point eight billion dollar anti weaponization is going to all those people who will climbing that building on January sixth that were done wrong. They flat out just they come out and say it. This is a transparent effort. Yep, we're doing it.
Speaker 1: And I'm just so curious because federal law that governs the Kennedy Center is clear, it's not ambiguous, it's not up for interpretation. It literally says this, no additional memorials or plaques in the nature of memorials shall be designated or installed in the public areas. So to say this was renovated and restored by President Donald J. Trump that falls directly into that law.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you think the judge's going to do here.
Speaker 1: He's going to say, y'all are hilarious.
Speaker 2: He might he might actually say that that this is just funny. So a judge does have to sign off on that plan. A judge, it's going to have to sign off. They're still not sure exactly what they're going to do, but it does need renovations. They've offered up plans that would close it all down for two years, another plan would close it partially, and then another plan would close it in phases over time. Again, judge has to sign off on all this stuff. But the name thing I don't know roes even if it did get engraved when a Democrat gets in office or Democrats get into.
Speaker 1: Cong blast it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably are, but we shouldn't be doing that either. Somebody, Yes, that's exactly what would happen.
Speaker 1: I cannot look. I will we will wait and see what this judge rules. But he's already made it clear how he feels. So I guess I don't understand why they would put themselves in a position to be publicly slapped down by the same judge, Like there's no question as to what this judge is going to say or do.
Speaker 2: Why baby are they being told they have to do something to get his name on there, or do they feel like we better do this because we want to make Daddy happy. Are they getting direct instruction do you think or they are just doing this because they do want to make Daddy happy.
Speaker 1: It could be one or both.
Speaker 2: But bro is this the way he would have to sign off on that? Because that is that's not a good look. Broh.
Speaker 1: It's not him, it's people who just love him and want to honor him.
Speaker 2: He can say, guys, let's not do that. Of course he can say that as well.
Speaker 1: Of course he can clearly he has not.
Speaker 2: All right, well, folks, it ain't over yet.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you. Listen.
Speaker 2: I'm t J, I'm behalf of my dear Amy Robick. We'll talk to you allston
Speaker 1: H