Speaker 1: I've done all the entrepreneurship things. What I don't understand the dynamics of being entrepreneur. Because you have a business doesn't mean your boss, doesn't mean that you're going to get money. So I had to unlearn again being entrepreneur is service. What is the product of service that you have that people need?
Speaker 2: You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech, business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiast, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week, we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money move. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place, So open up your notes app and lock us in, because this podcast will give you the keys to the kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance you so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at Greenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all Beings social at It's Tanya time to stay locked in too new episode.
Speaker 3: On today's episode, I am so pleased to introduce to you, branding expert, author and CEO self care advocate of the Women Who Boss Network, Natalie Nichole Smith.
Speaker 4: Hi Natalie, how are you? Thank you so much for having me excited to be here.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited to have you on the podcast today because I love women who embodied bossness, business entrepreneurship, and you are truly that.
Speaker 4: So welcome. I appreciate your time today. Thank you, I really appreciate it. So I want to start at the.
Speaker 5: Beginning because on Money Moves, what we love to talk about is how people are making their money moves right. But I want to go back to the early days of Natalie and you know how you were raised to think about money.
Speaker 4: What were the mindsets that you were either taught or not taught from your parents, and how has it evolved over time. So, you know, that's one of my favorite questions because I feel.
Speaker 1: Like, because of social media, people see the success laid out on the story behind the glory. So when I first got into business, it was really as a young girl. I was selling candy, I was selling different products in school because I wanted money. I needed money. Yes, I grew up in a single family household. My mom amazing mom, but it was hard. You know, it was a hard situation growing up and at that time in my life, growing up in a single family household with my mom, in the house of my grandmother, not having my own bad to sleep in. I didn't realize how hard it was to attract money and save money and have a great relationship with money.
Speaker 4: So my relationship is money. It's a relationship.
Speaker 1: So the hustle wanted the freedom and wanted to be able to buy the things, but understanding how to save money and to use the money in the right way. I understand that this is God's money. Every dollar is not yours. That's where I had to like unlearn and.
Speaker 4: Learn it's leveraging.
Speaker 5: Like, that's so interesting to hear you say that it's leveraging this relationship with money. You can have a little bit, but how you can use that to have more, provide for your family all these things. And I love asking this question because I think it's it's like also being able to take a step back and understand the relationship that we have with money from the early days and how we carry that forward, right, and how.
Speaker 4: We have to let go so much of that in order to heal properly. You have to go to the root of it.
Speaker 1: You to understand that, Okay, I am not my past. I'm going to heal from the trauma maybe off not having money because I grew up in a Trinetti and guy needs household immigrants, that that we are being app the city this year, like that whole ord deal that was my life and money was not.
Speaker 4: We didn't have a lot of it, right, So as I grew as a woman, went to have a university, there's still was a lot like alat there.
Speaker 1: You know, going to Howard University, everybody, a lot of people there either has scholarships or their family had money.
Speaker 4: I still there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's so interesting because I think that that dichotomy of having this diverse fact going to Howard University, which is a historically black college, but then seeing like there's a legacy, the people are like a third and fourth generations and you know coming in and there's a struggle there. And I think you said the word trauma too. Being able to own that some of those memories aren't good. You have to heal from it, just like a relationship.
Speaker 4: Just like if you go through any type.
Speaker 1: Of Chidren moment in your life and whate for God to for you to really receive the plans that God has for your life, you have to forgive your past and you have to be in your present and you have to really build that relationship with God so you can understand how to handle the money that He gives you. So an interesting fun fact about my story is that I grind.
Speaker 4: I'm a grinder.
Speaker 1: I was a hard worker for a long time, and I never essentially I wanted to be a millionaire.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to be free, that's all.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like, oh, I need this amount of money to be free. It was say, I want to feel good. I want to pay my bills on time. I don't want to date men for money. I want to feel good about what I have. So I did everything to do that. From bottle service, you know, when I was in college, opening up my first.
Speaker 4: To a whim when I was twenty two years old.
Speaker 1: I've done all the entrepreneurship things, but I didn't understand the dynamics of being entrepreneur. Because you have a business doesn't mean you're a boss doesn't mean that you're going to get money. So I had to learn again being entrepreneur is service. What is the product of service that you have that people need? So as I grew my career in the entrepreneurship world around the seventh year, I would say the seventh year of entrepreneurship, that was my year of favor. That was the year that I didn't just earn one million dollars that first year.
Speaker 4: I'm four.
Speaker 5: You know that first year so much here because number one, you already spoke to unpacking this idea, like on the internet, on social media, it looks like this was just overnight.
Speaker 4: Well I just grew up, my bossed up, and here you are.
Speaker 5: It's like seven years of hard work, a lifetime of like struggle, you know, from childhood to this, and then you hit your harvest here.
Speaker 1: It was a harvest here, and it wasn't I would say it was a swellless victory. It wasn't like the whole like let me go around the world and just it was you did the work and see time of harvest. It was you're faithful and the little things God will bless you in plenty. He will give you abundance.
Speaker 4: So that was me.
Speaker 1: I believe God say job well done. The pandemic hit. I was inside my six entry square foot apartment. I remember it like it was yesterday. Literally the department was like this. I was in an apartment and you know, a clock girl Internet. But the reality I was still working really hard.
Speaker 4: I figure things out. Oh yeah, we got locked in, and all I.
Speaker 1: Knew when we got lockdown is do the work, had faith, be consistent, don't leave valves.
Speaker 4: We want to live. And that's my doubting and.
Speaker 5: I still can't believe we went through that. You know, COVID was just so crazy. But the stories that are coming in, and it's funny. We talked to a lot of onto her consistency because it's due to the work consistently.
Speaker 4: That's it, because say, foot our works is dead.
Speaker 1: So if you can pray, you get on your knees every day, but if you're not doing the work, the assignment is not going to add up.
Speaker 5: You get what I'm saying, And I want people to like hear what she is saying because oftentimes we think, okay, you're right, faith that that works is dead.
Speaker 4: But what successful people do is do the work.
Speaker 1: Consistently, you have that routine and to be consistent and you have to do what they don't do.
Speaker 4: So like and again my still trauma.
Speaker 1: And you know what I love about what you're doing in the platform with the conversation is because even when you get the money, what's next?
Speaker 4: What's next?
Speaker 5: Because you can make all the money, you know, you can make all the money, you can spend all the money, you can lose all the money.
Speaker 4: And I think especially why what.
Speaker 5: Excites me about money news and having these conversations amongst women, amongst black and brow faces is sometimes and for a lot of us, people will share this all the time. Our parents did the best they could with that, but we didn't sit around and have these conversations.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so now you've got a little bit of money, you got one million, two? How do I do? What do I do to double that?
Speaker 5: To magnify that, multiply it, save it, put it away for future generations, right, Because these are conversations that will really change the impact that we have on building generations, right, And they're super important and it's healthy.
Speaker 4: It's the same way how we want to go to the gym. You either know how to treat money. Yeah, this money loves.
Speaker 1: What I love about is that we all want to make some money, right, but how do we sustain it? How do we how do we keep it going? How do we create legacy? And That's where I'm at in my life now. It's like, Okay, I did that.
Speaker 4: I have a Lamborghini, I have the range over, but come on, Lambo. But I thank you.
Speaker 1: But you know, what I learned in that process, and I think I had to go through, is that you can have all these things in life and not be happy, not have peas. So six months after making the most money in my life, I got robbed at gunpoint. Yeah, six months later, and I'm not going to have my gosh, it's traumatic, traumatic, dramatic, but.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 1: It saved my life because I was so like, you know, it's financial trauma.
Speaker 4: I never made this have money in my life. I didn't know how to move. I'm thinking on Natalie the girl next door. Still I'm not thinking on Natalie the girl like Instagram that.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not thinking like that. So that day changed my life. I didn't just get robbed at gunpoint. Let's move past some material things I got robbed in my confidence, my fearlessness, just me as a woman, you know. So I had to literally relearn money. Relearned Natalie empower my mind, because when you get stripped from just your dignity and your your core values your life.
Speaker 4: It strips you to the bone. It shopped me to the bone.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I want to I can't get off this subject because it is so I just my heart goes out to you because that is a really traumatic experience. You realize, how did you teach yourself to relearn that and regain a sense of safety.
Speaker 1: So what happened was I started associating money with evil.
Speaker 4: You know what they say, you know, money is a rital, all evil.
Speaker 1: I was an advocate for that, right, I'm like the girls say, yeah, you're right, it's bad. And what happened was my faith diminished and my fear it increased. So everything I learned about God and everything I learned about life and I was a positive person, I no longer knew myself and with millions of dollars in the bank, did not understand life. I understand just forgiveness. Like literally, it was like a baby again. And it was interesting that I believe allowed me to be relatable, allowed me to get grounded again. It allowed me to understand that money is a resource and it's a tool, and it's a part of your freedom path, but it's not the be all.
Speaker 4: So I had to I.
Speaker 1: Went from a space where I grind, I grind. Everything was transactional. So now I really cherish positive relationships. I cherish healthy relationships. I understand that money is the tool, but it'sn't control us. So it was a bunch of my mental health was in shambles. Imagine not wanting to live because you got robbed. It's like Natalie. Most people were like, well, you just got robbed.
Speaker 4: It's a big deal. Now I'm scared of my own shadow. Now I'm scared the driver. Now i'm driving, I'm thinking someone's following me.
Speaker 1: Like it was very chaotic in my mind. And the battlefield is in your minds and when you but when you, I'm telling you, when I gave it to gud and I say, hey, guy, you gave me the ability to attract money. My mom is on payroll, my gas on payroll. You did not bring me this far to just fail. And I had to get it together. I had to get it together. And it took getting back into church, getting into my word, really forgiving my past and just what I didn't know, and then learning how to move differently.
Speaker 4: In the additions to that, understanding that I'm displaced.
Speaker 1: This this place that we live are is our wealthy place. You know, it's our wealthy place and you have this.
Speaker 4: One beautiful life to live. That's it.
Speaker 1: You get what I'm saying, And like, what am I going to do live in the past and trauma or am I going to live understanding? What's my next move? What's my next money move? How am I going to track this well and be peaceful?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Godwie, this is so beautiful and I think that your words will really inspire so many people because this happened.
Speaker 2: So yes, I thank you for being forgetting to share, Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community. Subscribe and leave us a review on iHeartRadio and Apple podcasts. Follow us on social media at Greenwood and visit us at Gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember, money movers, If this were easy, everyone would do it, So take the lessons you've learned from this episode and apply it to your life. Money Moves is an iHeart Radio podcast powered by Greenwood Executive produced by Sunwise Media, Inc. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts from. Make sure to tune in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and subscribe to the Money Moves podcast powered by Greenwood, so that you too can have the keys to financial freedom you so rightly deserve. Until next time,