Speaker 1: Let me tell you something you probably already know.
Speaker 2: If you got a job and you work with black people like this, and it's specifically a like urban born black person even they country.
Speaker 1: Let me not let me play games with you.
Speaker 2: There is a coworker which might be you, but there's a coworker that is seconds away from being cussed out. It's somebody at your job that break all kinds of rules like colde rules that get up under that black person's skin.
Speaker 1: Is so bad.
Speaker 2: But because we have practiced the art of double consciousness, which I've brought up before, it to web d voice thing to where we have to be fluent in the king's tongue, know how to function. Basically, you got to know how to talk among white people what you guys would call professional speech. But it's a little deeper than that.
Speaker 1: For us. It's not just professional to survive.
Speaker 2: But but right up under the surface, somebody is almost about to get packed out. I'm telling you that right now. But we just know how to keep it professional. But there's a hood inside of us that no matter what you put on us or in our situations, that's part of keeping it. G Two, we understand the situation. It might be Drake popping in their headphones while they sitting at the cubicle. It's Nipsy and Little Dirk right now playing in that person's headphones at that call center, just keeping it super professional. And I tell you, there's been plenty of times that that black person has found the other Latino person or the other Filipino person, or the other black person in y'all's office meetings, and y'allun locked eyes at each.
Speaker 1: Other, rolled y'all eyes because.
Speaker 2: You already know, like y'all haven't already got answers and thoughts about what's going on right now, And y'all just like, mmm, I may I should put my foot so far up, but you but you're professional.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, you and the other hood folks that already discussed licks that you might be able to hit on this place, but you know how to keep a gin and keep a professional.
Speaker 1: Y'all. Just giggle, y'all. You know what I'm saying. It is what it is.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you right now, I can pretty much say with a lot of certainty that whatever experience you're experiencing of black folks, people of color color you know in the hood, or people from the hood in your professional environment. I'm telling you right now, we're toning it down. I'm telling you right now, there's you, baby. You ain't seen nothing yet because what's inside of us is very different than what you see. This is why I say coming from these areas actually gives you an advantage.
Speaker 1: It's a superpower.
Speaker 2: That's the whole concept of this shows the politics is like, we actually have an advantage because we've had to know how to survive in your world and in our world. As much as you think we don't you as a royal you maybe not. You listening, y'all get it. So you could take us out the hood, you put us in these nice houses, do whatever you want, but you know it. But you can't take the hood outside of us, and you get like we are what we are now. This is a saying from the eighties, like a little like a little bit before our time.
Speaker 1: And of course it's remarkably reductive.
Speaker 2: I know, it's not that simplistic, and it's actually a little bit insulting to us to think that, like we are not capable of metamorphosis and change. However, this is not the way for which I mean this. What I'm saying, is man, you was who you was for you got here. It's some jay Z lyrics, right. We know who we are, we know the things that made us what we are. We know what we value, and it's this code, you know, this g code that a lot of us live by. This even if you not a gangster, there's part of like, even if you don't gang bang, there's a part of that code that just exists inside of all of us because it's honor, it's integrity, it's loyalty, it's family, it's support, it's community. You know, there's these codes that we have that just you know, we kind of just need it for survival, you know what I'm saying. And it follows you everywhere you go, even when you move to those nice houses in South Orange County, it's California thing. Move out to the Inland Empire, you know that was the suburbs. But I don't know if you ever been through Fontana, I don't know if you ever been through San Bernardino rialto Calton, Like, you know, no, we made it what it is. You can't you could put us in these nice houses. You ever go to the Crenshaw District them it's nice houses. That's the hood because even though we take care of our lawns, make sure the property values stay nice.
Speaker 1: You listen, we are who we are. Part of me.
Speaker 2: Is why I think a lot of us really just understand Mexicans because no matter where they go, it's gonna be it's gonna be a taco stand outside, it's gonna be a burrito truck somewhere around there, because they make it their own. You could take them out of Mexico, I'm saying, but you can't take Mexico.
Speaker 1: Out of them. Right and again, I understand this is reductive.
Speaker 2: But the environment, although plays a role, does not or should not erase our values. So you can take the homie out the hood, you can't take the hood out the hommy. You have no idea what I'm about to talk about, do you? Oh, unless you read the description of the show, which I don't think anyone does. I am trying to answer the question. It's Threads finally going to be the Twitter Killer Hood politics, y'all. All right, y'all, thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: We appreciate y'all pulling up. I'll owe you a couple cooler Zone plus shows that I need to complete, but just life be lifing, you know what I'm saying. But today I wanted to jump in here because I'm like, do something a little lighter because I'm I'm working on this one on the Supreme Court and Clarence Doland to them and how they just be moving so silent, and all the different things that just got passed as far as affirmative action, the Native American adoption thing, the Navajole water trands, stuff like, there's just so much that it's just so heavy that I figure I talk about something that's a little bit light, that's more about not so much politics, although it actually is pretty tied to politics, but the zeitgeist. You know what I'm saying, Not the Zeitgeist, but just the ze guys. Shout out to them, as Sophie calls them, the podfathers, you know what I'm saying, dudes that put us on rogs our big hummies. But yeah, I want to talk about the social media hills and valleys. Now this one seems different now if you're you know, a sillennial or a geriatric millennial like I am, apparently where where like in between, Like I'm like, I'm not so much X although I'm so close to gen X, I get it.
Speaker 1: But I lived a life.
Speaker 2: Mostly around and in the zone of millennials, but I had an analog childhood, you know what I'm saying, where basically like Gen X, dudes just feel so old to me, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, although they were just the upper grades, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's also important to understand that, like you know, these generation things, they're not scientific, there's nothing there.
Speaker 1: It's all marketing. They're not like real things.
Speaker 2: That being said, I come from a time where we saw the evolution of social media and going from a version of instant Messenger all the way to these platforms that we see now.
Speaker 1: We see them come, we see them go.
Speaker 2: And it's crazy why just us as a herd all moved to these next new things, right and because the Internet wasn't what it was then as it is now. That was a weird sentence. But follow me here. We ain't had an access to the CEOs like we did, like Tom. I still don't know what Tom actually looked like. Tom is from my space. Some of y'all may not remember what my space is. But follow me here. Tom had the same avy the whole time. Tom on the island somewhere that Avvy may not have actually been Tom. Like, we don't have no idea what Tom looked like. Kept it low. Tom ain't do the Mark Zuckerbird thing, you know, didn't do the Dorsey thing. Definitely not an Elon like Tom. That man cashed out and left. But uh, I remember when I was really young, like really young, I didn't even have one of these.
Speaker 1: We had things called black Planet.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: There was Friends the first, and then there was a Black Planet, which is essentially like a black MySpace.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I think the closest to that would help you to understand MySpace is it's more akin to a Facebook, and Facebook actually murdered MySpace, right, But I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Get to that.
Speaker 2: You created a profile, you could learn HTML and like pimp out your MySpace. You can make a little money on the low designing people's pages. We were literally flipping htmls right now. You got to think about this, We were flipping MySpace pages. These the same people, y'all, are y'all hearing me? These the same people that got their camera too close to their face when they do selfies.
Speaker 1: These are the same.
Speaker 2: People that can't figure out how to go live on TikTok like these it's they the same people, that's what's bonkers. Anyway, Each of these platforms have a grand opening. It's like it's it's a traditional storyline, a grand opening, and sometimes it just phases out from there right where it's like the story's going nowhere and it shuts down.
Speaker 1: Then it has But other ones that.
Speaker 2: Succeed have this like super High Rising and then this peak. And when they're on the peak, competitors try to come out and try to create platforms that are similar to try to get everybody off. And some of them work, some of them don't. But when you get an actual good competitor, what happens is what we all exist in now is that you are on multiple You have multiple social media pages, and traditionally the hope is to either be okay with that, but have you if you're the platform owner, spend more time on my page rather than their page. So the page has to take on, has to have certain features, right, has to be able to do certain things, and it takes on its own sort of personality. You feel me, which is what's interesting about this threads thing, which I'm gonna get to later. But like Twitter had a feel like when Twitter was was at its best, it definitely had a feel.
Speaker 1: But so the Facebook.
Speaker 2: Facebook had a feel, it had a it took on a tone, right, and then you go to that page or that platform for that tone. Instagram was the same. It takes on a thing. That's why this threads thing is so interesting to me, which I'll get to later, because it's like, well, I went to I go to insta. I follow people on Instagram because I like the way they Instagram.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I follow the people on Twitter because I like the way they tweet. So the idea of seeing tweets of my Instagram people I follow Instagram still kind of weird to me, but we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: A little later.
Speaker 2: The platforms take on a vibe and a purpose and a use, right, and then the the programmers, you know, try to monetize. They try to do things to keep these people happy to not get bored, you know, And but in a lot of ways, the programmers have no control over the tone or the feel that their platform takes on. If Proud Boy for twenty sixty nine decides this is where he's building his empire, is where he's building his empire.
Speaker 1: That is decided by the users, which is us.
Speaker 2: So when you ask us, like which platform is better, you know which one you like more. It's a matter of preference because they essentially not. I mean again, you go to certain things for what they offer. Are you asking me, is this sushi restaurant better than this soul food restaurant? Well, it depends on what I want for dinner, I said, like, I go to them for different things. Now my experience at that place? What does one have better service than the other? Is there better seating? Is their outdoor seating? How nice are the waiters? All those things can play a factor. But at the end of the day, the question is and will always be, who are all gonna be there?
Speaker 1: Because that's listen, that's the decide factor for anything. Who are all gonna be there? What's a platform success? Who there? Now?
Speaker 2: How you get them there and keep them there? That's up to the platform. But the question is really just who are all gonna be there? Let's just be real. Now, if you're the platform, you gotta decide. This is all introduction by the way. Now, if you're the platform and you decide, well, I know who I won't there? Like if you was a black planet, we already said what you want to be there? Now you uh, there's this new one called Spill that I'm not gonna give y'all a code to, but I mean it's kind of designed with black people in mind. It's just it is. Now, if you're gonna do the like whole invite only, you know, you got to get a code and stuff like this. You're trying to be the boogie coffee shop that's kind of like the country club.
Speaker 1: Then that's Google gonna be there. Right.
Speaker 2: If you linked in, you know what you're trying to do. You're trying to your goal as professionals, Like we're not really supposed to be, you know, kind of chilling here. If it's Pinterest, you know, it's like you are saying out front who you want there. But if you something like a Facebook on MySpace and a Twitter, you're like, nah, it is supposed to be a marketplace, is supposed to be for everybody. This is a town center. But whatever you decide, it has a life cycle. Right, So for this episode, I want to talk about here's where it gets political. Why this Twitter elon and threads meta Zuckerberg thing? Why this might be different and how it's the same and how My answer to is Thread's going to save us. It's Threads gonna be the new thing that finally dethrons Twitter. My answer is, you know, you could take the homie out the hood, but you can't take the hood out there.
Speaker 1: I will unpack this. That's God, take me, take.
Speaker 3: Thanks the hood, te me the hood.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna start at my Space just because uh, maybe it's my age, but also I think social media as we know it, I think it's it's origin story. Of course goes way back beyond that, but at least for the versions that we understand in its form that we see now.
Speaker 1: We could say MySpace.
Speaker 2: You know, there was Friendster before that, like I said, and then there was black Planet for us. But you create a profile. You had your MySpace top eight. Those are your like your most favorite friends, you know, you put them right up front, and then when you started, when you dated somebody, they became your number one top eight. Then you learned how to like break it to the HTML and you could have like a top twenty.
Speaker 1: Right, you had a musical player.
Speaker 2: It had little like this is like I'm telling you, like uploading MP Three's like, this is I mean, the Internet as we know it was forged in this time, right, and then you had your wall of comments where people would come in and take your comments and place comments on it. It was like creating a Facebook profile where people could, like I said, could I say Facebook profile because I want. I'm sure that's your closest connection there. Now. I'm pretty sure most of y'all can't remember the last time you opened your Facebook because it got taken over by who got taken over by, which is what I'm gonna get to.
Speaker 1: But that's what it was.
Speaker 2: You created a profile, you had your profile picture, you had your friends if you will, but we were able to do your top friends then you. But what was dope was you had a music player that was like you could play your favorite songs right now.
Speaker 1: If you were an artist.
Speaker 2: This again, like I said, this is like the new like the birth of all this stuff. You'd have a MySpace music page, and your music page was different than your personal page, just like you have just like Facebook pages versus your profiles right where you had.
Speaker 1: Businesses and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And if you are a MySpace music there's a lot of artists that launched off of this. I would venture to say that emo as a genre was born out of MySpace.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: A lot of these bands, like they toured off their myspaces, they sold their merch off of MySpace. You gotta remember, this was the time that PayPal became a thing. Like all this stuff was being born at this time. You could create a career where you didn't need your own personal website. This you didn't need a marketing team if you will. This was where you could market literally via online. Your whole thing could be MySpace, which meant that MySpace realized what everybody else realized, everybody getting rich except us.
Speaker 1: They don't make money like that.
Speaker 2: I can't stress this enough for a company like like, let's fast forward. Elon paid forty four billion dollars for a company that I ain't make no money. Then how did you get to the price, because again, money's made up, But that's the goal. You build this thing. Never make a diamond, then cash out. Listen, social media weird, but either way you got to run it. They everybody run it to the same problem. You gotta figure out how to make money as the platform because everybody else cashing out out of it, and it just seems like to me, the minute of the platform try to make money, whether it's advertising or extra tools and services for businesses, that's the death nail. Just I don't know what to tell you, guys. Bro I remember I just saw a video of a record store out here. They used to do in stores and samples and stuff like that, and on that video commercial it had their MySpace address. It's like Facebook dogor like what we all do where we all put our app mintions on our cards. Obviously there's prequels, but this is where it's the Orger store here.
Speaker 1: Now, what happened, It got ginormous. It took over everything.
Speaker 2: They was having the same conversations about your screen time usage and that the Internet's riding. They was having it then too, but MySpace was a way that people were launching careers, and just like now, MySpace had to figure out how to monetize, and they monetized via ads.
Speaker 1: But at this.
Speaker 2: Time, you know, data mining the way that we understand it wasn't a thing like we didn't really know you really know how to do it like that. Now. I'm not going to get into the weeds of the technical aspects as to what started causing the downfall. But what I am going to say is from a zeigeist perspective, from a user perspective, overcrowding and spam, that's it just got played out. It was just too many people, too many dirt bags, a lot of grooming going on, a lot of cat fishing was all happening. And then there was this new place that had these things called status updates. It was a cleaner, sort of more user friendly space where everybody wasn't at but you could go in. You can make connections, you can have direct message, you could do these poke things. That was like, oh man, it's so crowded over there, man, Like, damn, that's played out. It's like it's too it's too man. I don't know, it's too trendy. I want to be somewhere else. Hey, there's this new thing. It's called Facebook. I think it used to just be you know, at Harvard or something. And then everybody moved to Facebook. But before everybody moved, most people had both a MySpace and a Facebook, and then eventually, slowly but surely stop using our MySpace. MySpace went through a lot of iterations. Somebody else bought it and the new version of it. That's crazy. There's a new version of MySpace that the interface is incredible. Dog you know bought it? Was justin Timberlake's pretty crazy, crazy story. Anyway, the crowds migrated. Where did my Space go wrong? Some would say it just got too cool, Some would say it got too big, would say it got too spammy. Some would say the moderation made the experience not as fun, and some would others just and others would just say, shiny new things, competition, something else. We've been doing this for too long. Let's find something else. And everybody moved. And when everybody moved to Facebook, there were other things happening at that time. There was all kinds of others started, these booms of other sort of platforms that were building. But to follow our story, the next would be Instagram and Twitter. And remember Facebook didn't invent Instagram. Facebook bought Instagram. Instagram at first was just a photo platform. I remember I downloaded it and not knowing there was a social part of it. I did it because I was just looking for cool like photo filters. It was just about like these cool little like you know, vintage filters. And then guess what everybody liked the simplicity of it because Facebook kind of did too much. And it was kind of cool because you could take your Instagram photos so you could put it on your Facebook, you know, you could like poor It was kind of cool. Like and then Facebook's not stupid. Facebook is meta now, but you know, Facebook's not stupid. They were like, we should just buy that. That way we could have it both because Facebook knows what it did to my space, crust it and then move on to Twitter, you know, and I'm moving through space pretty fast. But remember again, most people had both, right, But then, remember these platforms they take on personalities. Y'all know what happened to Facebook. It got broke when our aunts and uncles, well y'all's aunts and uncles got on it, you know what I mean by y'all. Right, But then it just took on this sort of old, kind of right wing kind of conspiracy theory space. And once our grandma's was on it, it was just untenable. And he tried to do so many different things and it just you were doing too much. The interface became just like it's just what is all this? Remember all them games you know you do, They're like hey, are you with more California? And what state do you naturally be and answer this question? And then you had the sheep things, and then you had all these invitations to these games and shit, and you was just.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: And then there are connected people like, hey, this fool goes to your high school. Don't you want to be friends with them? And it's like, nigga, no, it's just started doing too much. The experience became like, fam, I know you're trying to do this to keep us on this page, but this experience.
Speaker 1: Is getting lame.
Speaker 2: Goddamn everybody here now I'm trying to avoid these people from high school.
Speaker 1: Was horrible. I don't need friends with them. You're thinking, we want this. You keep creating these tools it better.
Speaker 2: And my lord, have you ever tried to use Facebook business or Meta business. That is the most unusable site I've ever And what sucks is if you want to sell some on your Instagram, you gotta use it. I'm like, this is the most unusable. None of these buttons makes sense. It just became like it's cumbersome. It's like I have my I have my public figure page, my profile page.
Speaker 1: You gotta end up managing these pages.
Speaker 2: You got the terraform page, you got the whole politics page, I had the Red Couch podcast pace. You have to have all these separate pages and to try to make them all talk together, you had to have this whole other app to do that. And I'm just like, this is I hate this. And then on top of it, every comment is some right wing troll. It took on a personality, and you're telling them to monitor that. But like, it's not the Facebook people doing that, it's the users doing it. Took on a tone. Foods ran to Twitter, and then you run the Twitter. And then after a while, for the last like kind of zone we've been in, it's like you have a Twitter and an Instagram, and of course you have things like Snapchat, right, which again took on an age We all felt like that was just an age group thing, right. And then you had the advent of TikTok, which was its own thing, right. And I'm not even mentioning Vine and stuff like that. These things that got enveloped into these other apps in hopes to keep everybody on their page. But each of these things took on their own personalities and who created those personalities us the users, and of course you're doing all these different things here and there as far as like as modern racist, as securate your experience. We all ran it tow we know what Twitter became. Twitter became the place where you doom scroll right.
Speaker 1: It's a place where you organized for resistance.
Speaker 2: It was a place where you could trusted, place to get your news right, but it was also a place to find your silo and just to get enraged. It went from what color is this dress?
Speaker 1: Where we could laugh.
Speaker 2: You have things like black Twitter, where like the gossip, the t the zeigeist was all decided on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Little did we know Reddit was creating all of the memes, but you had to be terminally online to know the Reddit stuff. So again Reddit took on its own thing, and then Twitter became overran by blue check crypto bros who just love elon. It took on a tone and that was its killer. And now we're watching again, a new place come in now. They tried with Masadon, They tried with blue Sky, but Macedon was too much like Reddit. You got to be like super online to be that. Blue Sky was too booze. You only get an invite, And what Threads did that was so different was like, you're not starting from scratching with this one. You could just poured all your followers into here, but it's still so. Here's a good example. You know, if you get to a club, to the hot, trendy club, but you get there at like ten thirty eleven, ain't nobody there.
Speaker 1: You just standing around.
Speaker 2: You know this is the place to be, but by the time everybody get here, you kind of tired of it. It's kind of not you can't really You're like, this place is. I don't know how dope this place is because ain't nobody here. I don't care how good the bar is. If nobody here, nobody's staying. But if you get to a club and it's cracking already, you're like, yo, like what's good?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. That's what Threads did.
Speaker 2: Threads figured out how to make sure the club already cracking when everybody get here, because all the homies came together. You know what I'm saying, y'all all everybody went to the function at the same time, rather than doing it like a trendy club where you got to get her at a certain time. It was more like a festival stage where this stage is getting lame while this stage is getting cracking. See, Zuck got got some good sense in that sense. That's the miracle. Is Zuck got us cheering for him. That's the weirdest part because if I had to choose between Elon and Zuck, I cannot believe this man pulled off the miracle to make me cheer.
Speaker 1: Choose him, right.
Speaker 2: So it's not so much like the club, it's more like the festival stage.
Speaker 1: This stage is getting weird.
Speaker 2: I was at the main stage, but it's getting weird, and people slowly but surely leaving that stage trying to figure out which stage they're going to. If this the is already up and running, it's already got a crowd there. Oh that's dope. All my favorite bands is already over there. Let's just all go over there. It's brilliant. Is it going to kill that stage? No, nobody's tearing down the stage. It'll still be over it. It just ain't gonna be nobody in front of it except for a few weirdos like you can still go to MySpace dot com.
Speaker 1: It's still there, all right, Parlor is still there.
Speaker 2: It just ain't but fifteen people there, you know, so, I mean it's still open, it's just only weirdos and they're happy. But this new stage, oh man, you done crack the code in some ways, because when you get here, everybody already here. You ain't got to try to rebuild your network again. You ain't got to try to rEFInd the homies. You ain't gotta wait till everybody get here before it becomes dope.
Speaker 1: But is it, y'all? Save you? Here's why I say.
Speaker 2: You could take the homie out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the homeboy.
Speaker 1: What ruined every other platform? Nigga? Us we're the problem now.
Speaker 2: Of course there's all kinds of different things that cost, but set aside the curation of the tools and services. Of course that plays a role. But the personality Facebook took on was its users. I don't want to be around them. Y'all made this shit trash. That's why I want to be here no more. Why is Twitter untenable?
Speaker 1: Nigga? The blue checks the bots. What you've allowed? You done? Let in the riff raft.
Speaker 2: It's the same platform despite all the problems.
Speaker 1: I'm finna get to right after I tell you this. But this is why.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm trying to say, is threads gonna save us, nigga. Threads ain't gonna change us. You know what's gonna happen. You're gonna become a threads influencer. You have to learn how to monetize threads. I'm already seeing on my threads the same thing that happened in my Instagram. It's all these accounts I don't actually follow that are in my home. Pay damn shits, get on my nerve. Master it on too hard to you. The problem is we bring the problems everywhere we go. You ever said your ex girl was crazy? You ever said your ex man was crazy? You ever thought to yourself, am I keep dating all these crazy folks?
Speaker 1: What do you.
Speaker 2: Think might be the continuing factor in this situation?
Speaker 1: Nigga? You you why they chrazy?
Speaker 2: You know what's the problem with social networks is the social nigga us we don't know how to act. Stop thinking this platform gonna save you, Nigga.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: We bring it all the problems into this new platform. That's what I'm saying. It's the same threads if it survives nigga Twitter was gonna die anyway. Now, how it's different is this next segment that Elon and Nigga cocked the gun and shot that mug. And that's why it's different, and that's why it's political. But basically, we're gonna bring the same problems. We're the same folks from my Space. We're the same users. All the ship you don't like in Instagram from the people, it's the same people right now.
Speaker 1: It's dope. Every platform like this.
Speaker 2: In the beginning, it feels so cool because the riff raft ain't got here, The lowest parts of you ain't out, ain't out of you yet. But them boxes coming, Nigga, them influences coming.
Speaker 1: Because the ship is the same. You could just look. Look, look, all we did was move.
Speaker 2: From one block to another because were the same folks. You could take nigga out the hood, can't take the hood out the nigga. Now that's how it's the same. Now, why is this particular one different?
Speaker 1: That's neake.
Speaker 2: Now here's why it's different. This situation is not just like the rest of them. Why the whole example I just talked about for the last three minutes or last thirty minutes I'm about to. But on the other hand, well actually myself right now, although I feel like my point still stands where it's like this threads is not gonna save you. We gotta fix us. It's not the platform's fault, it's us. That point still stands. But this is different. Let me tell you why it's different. I'm gonna give you three reasons. First reason is, before Facebook, social media didn't matter politically. You didn't mobilize earth moving movements, genocides and also revolutions. The world wasn't connected like that, so it didn't matter. Misinformation wasn't trafficked through play platforms. We weren't talking about fence do us you know on the floor of the Congress. It just didn't matter because it wasn't moving nations. Now because remember the last time we talked about the Supreme Court, when we're trying to figure out what is free speech, that was never really in question in the way that like this is where we are now you got YouTube being sued because it may hold liability for that's these are for a terrorist attack, like the these are new days. So it's different. Number one, because it matters now. So that's one way it's different. The second way is different is we never gave a shit who owned the pages. Tom was a character mark we don't like. It's the same as politics. Once your political positions become personality driven, body gets turned into a pretzel. That's what happened to the Republican Party. You went from Reagan stands you know what I'm saying to trumpo sexuals, and it's it broke y'all so and a lot of times now that it broke y'all, it broke us too, because even when Trump says something, even if it kind of makes sense, I'm like, but it came out of his mouth. I can't I'm gonna take It's gonna take a second, you feel me. It's personality driven. So these platforms, even if they're the dopest possible platform, what is truth social It's Twitter? But for Trump sexuals it's so stupid. I don't know what the interface is like because I'm not gonna sign up for it. I don't want to be there. Now, that's where the combination of the two things happened. Like that, that is y'all have made that into like who I do not want to be in that space. And then Parla is just an empty trailer park right now, like five people still running around there. Look like an abandoned mall in the Midwest somewhere.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 2: But the platform is not so much about its usability and sometimes not even about its users. Its users are there because of its owner. And Twitter was able to avoid that until this Elon Mustang. And Elon has a way of doing that to whatever company he owns. He didn't make Twitter, he didn't make Tesla, like he didn't make these companies.
Speaker 1: He bought them.
Speaker 2: But he's such a cult of personality that it takes on that. And that's what happens when you were a billionaire. Like we talk with this all the time. Billionaires never get told no. So because you never get told no, you think you know what you're talking about. So the torpedo of Twitter, it ain't really threads. Thread just saw blood in the water. We all know what happened to Twitter and the last straw. Now some of y'all are like you tripping. I love Twitter.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've lost about ten thousand followers cause niggas are leaving. Why are they're leaving? It's the experience, and it's the personality. That's different. We never cared who the guy was. Is the is it still a function? Is it still a party? Is the club still cracking?
Speaker 1: I don't care. We'll own the club. The club cracking now, even if the club cracking.
Speaker 2: But this owner, he keep letting in these weirdos, that shit weird Cuz I don't want beard no more.
Speaker 1: What will happened? He jumped in, figured he knew better.
Speaker 2: He fired like forty percent of his uh of his staff, and they was like, well, it's some bullshit. You don't know how to do this, but if we gotta go, we gotta go. Then a nigga tried to make us pay for shit we had already. And that's because again, social media don't make money. So I was a blue check and I proudly lost it. When he was like, you gotta subscribe eight dollars a month to get a blue check, I was like, you can have that little check. You think I'm gonna pay for something I've had for free for ten years, it's not that serious, big homy.
Speaker 1: It ruined what the checks were for. The checks were for. I see his logic.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, I got to figure out how to make money somehow, and the logic was, you got this cool kids table, man, fuck the cool kids table. I get it because he probably was never on the cool kids table until he got rich anyway, but it was away for us to know if I see this account, oh yeah, they are who they say they are.
Speaker 1: Now, I just know you paid eight dollars.
Speaker 2: You're paying for Twitter, like I can't believe you're paying for Twitter, right, So there's that. You can do it on Meta now, but at least on Instagram. I still got my blue check. But you could click on it and it'll say verified since twenty fourteen, which means you know, I ain't pay for this shit now. Mark want to take my check, you can have it, nigga, I don't care. It's just a check. I'm not paying you for this. I'm already paying for the ads to be able to run ads.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I get that. So he tried to do that and that shit didn't work.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm gonna dangle to edit button in front of you, but I'm making pay for it because we all been saying we need an edit button.
Speaker 1: He's like, nah, y'all paid for it. It's like it ain't that serious, man.
Speaker 2: And because he was so weird, and he brought back people that were making He brought back weirdos, brought back Margie Taylor Green and I'm not saying because he had this belief that, like you know, right wing voices were being shut down that ain't true. Weirdos were being shut down. I like, Yiggy, you're a weirdo. And then they kicked out the president Nigga because he's a weirdo like you. I just don't understand how you can't see that that man a weirdo. So yeah, they put him out, we had to. Then they brought him back in, but by this time the weirdo had already had his own platform.
Speaker 1: He ain't coming back.
Speaker 2: Then we just got over rammed by the NFT crypto bros in these bots. Man, I can't tell and these reply guys that love that's a new one. Just it's what is happening right now. It's so weird. It's like somebody just opened the back door of the function and just let in these weirdos like nah, I'm good, fam And most of us stuck around, who had at least even the people that were raging I'm believing if he buys it.
Speaker 1: You didn't leave. You just didn't check it often.
Speaker 2: You just walked to the next stage, hoping that some next stage would be super dope.
Speaker 1: And people tried.
Speaker 2: Blue Sky tried, but like I said, they too, Bougie masdon you gotta be terminally online and be able to be a part of that. But if Twitter would have stayed usable, we probably would have been able to stand eline but elon all over the place. And until you can find us a better alternative, I guess we was just gonna be stuck here.
Speaker 1: And then the last draw.
Speaker 2: When we woke up to you have exceeded your limit of tweets and we was like, man, what and what he said it was for? It was because you know, there's these AI like machine learning machines that were teaching itself how to be better chat bots by farming all of our tweets so it could sound more human. He was like, I'm trying to stop that. But if you got Twitter blue, you could get more tweets than that. We was like, nigga, don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining. You ain't pay your server bill and we all know you didn't because you're not making no money and you don't know what the hell you're doing. And it seemed like that was the last straw. People were like, all right, man, I'll deal with the trolls. I'll deal with the bots, because it's trolls and bots everywhere. But you have just you've turned this into a trap house. I can live in a hood, but you done made it the trap house. Now we can't be here. Now Threads comes in, shiny new thing. Is it going to kill Twitter?
Speaker 1: Well? Twitter was already.
Speaker 2: Dying, but his his, his tribe of Elon lovers will they'll be there.
Speaker 1: It'll be all right.
Speaker 2: I haven't deleted my Twitter because again, I'm still at the festival. I'm mixing my managers, I'm still at the Factible. I'm just not at that stage. I may peek over at that stage again and be like, oh yeah no, I'm still weird those I'll be over here now. Am I gonna stay at the thread stage? Who knows that stage might shut down? And also I know he's he threatened to sue Meta for basically biting like you you bid us, you took all of our you siphoned our employees and you built a clone and it was like, hey, numb nuts. They didn't siphon them. You fired them. You remember when you came in and you fired everybody.
Speaker 1: You didn't. You didn't think this, They would just never.
Speaker 3: Mind, thank you.
Speaker 1: So threads might be cool.
Speaker 2: The weird those are gonna realize that's where everybody at and come over here. That's all I'm saying. These places is not your savor. You could take the homie out the hood. You can't take the hood out the home. However, if these platforms continue to move nations the way they do, I'm not sure if we'll have them at all.
Speaker 1: Hood politics, y'all.
Speaker 3: Take your techno the hood, take the hood.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know why I ain't thought of this before, but you know you could use promo code hood for fifteen percent off on terraform codbrew dot com. Like I forgot I own that company and this is my pod.
Speaker 1: Y'all go ahead and punch it. Promo cod hood.
Speaker 2: If you in the cold Brew, get you some cold brew, gonna get you some coffee. Yeah, Like, I can't believe, I ain't think it is still right.
Speaker 1: Now, yo, y'all.
Speaker 2: This thing right here was recorded by Me Propaganda and East Lows, Boil Heights, Los Angeles, California. This thing was mixed, edited, mastered, and scored by the one and the only Matt Awsowski.
Speaker 1: Y'all check out this fool's music. I mean it's incredible.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman for Cool Zone Media. Man, and thank you for everybody who continue to tap in with us. Make sure you leaving reviews and five star ratings and sharing it with the homies so we could get this thing pushed up in the algorithm and listen. I just want to remind you these people is not smarter than you. If you understand city living, you understand politics, We'll see you next week.