Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spafford, joint as always by my trusted colleague Wes Hodkoitz. We're coming to hear from our new studio at lambeau Field to continue wes our preview of Packers ot as.
Speaker 2: When it stop.
Speaker 1: I know we had this discussion before. It's I guess the rest of the off season program. Yeah, at least at least until at least until we get through last time. I'll get through mini camp. Yeah, I don't know. I'm at some point I'll get tired of saying new.
Speaker 2: No, I like it, but it is new. Considering what our studio used to look like looks like we're in the back of it.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think this, this is gonna feel This is going to feel new for the next couple of years. At least, I would think. O tas are underway. They are the Packers have begun. Uh this week we will get one access to excuse me, access to one practice later this week, and on our last show, we previewed OTAs from the offensive side of the ball. What we're looking for, things that are on our mind, so we'll switch to the defensive side of the ball for this episode, and I'll just throw it out there to you what rises to the top of your observation list when we hit the practice field later this week.
Speaker 2: For me, it has to be edge rusher first and foremost. We all know Michaeh Parsons working his way back from that acl He's not gonna be out there, He's not gonna be taking these reps. We know that Lucas Vans is probably gonna be taking that spot opposite of Michaeh Parsons this year, that the runway has been cleared. Much like with Matthew Golden in the receiver position, Rashaan Garry traded Lucas VENs. Go forward, young man, you know, and give this, you know, give it everything he got. But there's still needs to be somebody lined up across from Vans, and you're gonna need guys to fill up in that rotation now with kings Leannibari gone. So just seeing which young guy fills those roles early on and who ultimately emerges during this training camps can be fascinating to whether it's obviously Baron Serell, who is a tremendous story. We all talked about it. I wrote about it. The guy shows up in Green Bay for the draft. Everyone just a feel good story. Well, what sometimes I think gets overlooked is the fact he was a fourth round pick. He was a really good prospect coming out of Texas and just looking at him in his body this offseason and how he's matured in that capacity and how he finished last year at that game against Minnesota, I think he's a real contender for that spot, you know, Colin Oliver, Deny, Dennis Sutton being the fourth round pick this year could potentially contribute right away. And then the dude that probably nobody's talked enough about this offseason is Brenton Cox Junior, a guy that was really positioned to have a big role with this defense last year and then unfortunately gets the core injury misses most of the season, but the Packers thought enough of him to bring him back. So plenty of opportunity there at the edge rushing position, and in me personally, I don't know how you felt about it, but I love the fact that Green Bay dedicated themselves to this young nucleus. They didn't go out and sign a thirty two year old pass rusher to stem the tide until Michael Parsons gets back. They believed in what they had and now it's on those young guys to prove the Packers right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I mean this this spring, this summer, through training camp, the preseason is going to be the proving ground, you know, so to speak, for these young guys. Because we know the personnel department is always looking, they're always evaluating. Maybe at some point they'll feel the need to bring in a you know, veteran pass rusher stop gap to as you said, stem the tide until Michaeh Parsons gets back. But the Packers are gonna let these young guys figure it out here during the spring and summer with these opportunities. And you mentioned Breenton Cox Junior, and you're right, he is a guy who hasn't been talked about enough because unfortunately last year just became kind of an injury wash for him. But when we're talking about this group of guys that you know where somebody is going to be lined up across from Lucas van Ness here until Michael Parsons gets back, Brenon Cox Junior is suddenly the veteran of the bunch. You know, he's he's the old guy who's you know, who's been around and and has some experience. But that being said, also when I look at the young group, I think back to a handful of years ago when the Packers drafted kings Leannigbari in the fifth round. There wasn't a whole lot of fanfare about the draft pick. It's a Day three pick pick, et cetera, et cetera. But then we saw over the course of four years in Green Bay how kings Leannigbari went from you know, a guy who is helping on special teams to then oh, he's in the rotation at edge rusher and he's getting some sacks and some TFLs and he's filling in when a guy gets injured. You know, the the more snaps, the bigger opportunities. And he's proving himself in that regard. Kings Leannigbari, who just got a pretty nice contract from the New York Jets as a free agent. Now he was a fifth round draft pick. Baron Sorell was a fourth round pick. Colin Oliver was a fifth round pick, Denied Dennis Sutton a fourth round pick. This year. The These are significant investments the Packers are making in the draft in these players, and you're absolutely right West, the Packers are going to find out what this group is made of and who is going to step forward to seize opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, JJ Nigbari is an interesting player too, because I feel like, you know, we always think about, Okay, well can you find in all Pro? Can there be a Mica hide out there in the fifth round that you bring in and becomes a superstar. But there really is something to be being said for an Inigbari, a guy that played every snap every game, I should say, for Green Bay the past four years, a guy that was reliable on both defense and special teams, was you know, really good against the run. I think he's a tremendous success story. And when you lose a player like that, it might not be the one that gets talked about at your local diner in the morning. But the fact is is that's a big body that the Packers have to replace. And at the same time, it should also be a reminder to all these young guys of just what the stakes can be and how this thing could really catapult you to another level. Because as much as we focus on the pass rush, and rightfully so, I mean that's where people make their money. It also goes back to the fact that Inning Bari's not going to be there on special teams anymore. He's giving up one of those guard positions in punt coverage. Chances are Lucas van S is also going to be off that unit with what his growing role is now on defense. So the Packers, whether it is special teams, whether it is on the defensive side of the ball, there is a massive opportunity for those young edge rushers and seeing who grabs onto that is going to be great because yes, there's Inning Barri's But then you also think back to when green Bay signed Zadarius Smith Saidarius Smith was a fourth round pick a long long time ago by the Baltimore Ravens who then became an all Pro pass rusher. In this league, you never know where you're going to get those contributions from. And I just love the fact that green Bay invested all these resources over the last few years in that position, and now you're really going to be able to see what that group can do.
Speaker 1: And there is the caveat when it is still late May, when we're talking about edge rushing, which is about setting the edge against the run, getting after the quarterback, you know, beating the offensive tackle, all that kind of stuff. There aren't any pads going on here during OTAs. There won't be pads on for at least a couple of months here. But this, you know, with Jonathan Gannon coming in as a new defensive coordinator, new defense, he's getting to know the players, the other coaches on his defensive staff, getting to know these players, figuring out what they do, what they do best as they build the playbook and they build the different sub packages and oh, this would be a spot that Colin Oliver maybe could sub in and and you know, provide a spark right here, et cetera, et cetera. That's that's what this time of That's what this time of year is all about. And on the flip side of it, if shifting gears sort of from the young guys to the veteran guys, there are a couple of new veteran guys coming in to this defense now with Gannon, we're going to get a first look at Javon Hargrave at defensive tackle, Zaire Franklin at at inside linebacker. Two guys who have been there, done that in this league that doesn't even really do justice to to what they've accomplished in their careers and their presence. I just get the feeling west because of who these guys are, and we haven't even talked to him yet in terms of, you know, the interviews we get in the locker room. We'll get an opportunity for that over the next few weeks. But I just get the sense that these are guys that are walking into the Packers locker room with a certain level of respect and they're going to be leaders on this defense in some way, shape or form, even though they are new. Jonathan Gannon is new, but I think it feels like that's the dynamic that could be developing, you know.
Speaker 2: Because guys can be Pro Bowlers and they can be all pros, and in Franklin's case, he has been right and and you know Hargrave's case, he's two time Pro bowler, has played in a Super Bowl. I mean, these guys have like legitimate on field credentials. But when you sign players, you bring players in veterans in and you see that Walter Payton Man of the Year nomination next to their name, you see team captain in their bio. That tells you something about the character of the individual. The other thing, too, that always sticks out to me is when a veteran leaves somewhere signs elsewhere, and then you see media members or people from the Beat corps on social media talking about that player wishing them well. That speaks volumes as well too. I know you and I both did that. When Aaron Jones ultimately went to Minnesota. I remember having the conversation with Lindsay Young over there, one of the Beat writers for the Vikings, about just the type of dude that was entering that locker room. Heard the same exact reports on Zagiar Franklin. And the thing I love about Franklin too is when you look at his resume and he has like the quintessential NFL journey type story. Right when you're talking about a seventh round pick, what I think some people would refer to as an undersized middle linebacker go from a core special teams player in Indianapolis to a starting middle linebacker to an all pro to a guy leading the National Football League in tackles. There is a certain amount of respect and you know prestige that comes along with that, and for Green Bay to lose kway Walker and then conversely, when you look at the defensive tackle position, Kenny Clark and now Kolby Wooden and Javon Hargrave coming in, they I needed to find guys that you could add to this roster that can augment and complement a team that wants to compete for a championship. This year. They weren't going to be able to just get those guys in the draft. One, the number of picks just weren't there to address all those needs. But two, they needed to hit the ground running with some veterans here too, and I feel like they've done it with both of those guys, And for me, the most exciting thing of all is just seeing the type of experience that they now bring into this team. When you think about the best Packer teams going back to the Mike McCarthy era, or even in those twenty nineteen to twenty one windows where Packers are winning thirteen games every year. You had the Mercedes Lewises, you had the Julius Peppers back in the middle twenty tens. There's something about having that type of leadership on a football team in addition to what they provide as a football player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I think of Zaire Franklin and just having only been able to watch his career from AFAR, and you look at the statistics and kind of what he's compiled, he's he's like the definition of a guy who paid his dues to get to where to get to where he is in this league. And I'm really interested to see, you know, what he's got left and what he can bring to this Jonathan Gannon defense in Green Bay, a couple other things I want to get your thoughts on, but we do need to pay some bills, So let's hear a quick word from our sponsor. Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted. Continuing our preview of OTA is looking at the defensive side of the ball and Wes, We've pretty much talked about everything kind of upfront on defense, but we also need to talk about what's going on on the perimeter defensively, because again, no pads are going on, no jobs are going to be one or lost here in the next few weeks because training camp in the preseason is where these things will really sort themselves out. But the competition at cornerback is going to get underway here in a legitimate way. Carrington, Valentine, Benjamin Saint Juice, Brendan seesay, three guys really vying for all of them, I think, legitimate contenders to be the number two boundary cornerback in this defense opposite Keyshawn Nixon and then of course with Javon Buller being your number one slot corner. And you know, Valentine is the is sort of the incumbent so to speak, because he's the guy who's been here, but yet new defensive coordinator, new coaches, lots of change going on. So it you know, this as far as a competition for a very prominent role on this Packers team in twenty twenty six, this is the one that strikes me as as the one with the spotlight on.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be the competition of the summer. I will say that. I you know, Benjamin Saint Juice actually earned some brownie points with me last weekend because he was at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Was checking out the F one race, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: He didn't bring you along.
Speaker 2: He didn't, And I've joked with you about this before. I mean, I'm gonna be asking him questions. He's probably not gonna want to hear those questions. I probably can get annoyed by some of that. But for a guy that I haven't met yet, I was in awe of that. I got to get to a Formula one race at some point. But I really like the way they built this thing up in the cornerback room. First and foremost, Carrington Valentine a guy that has always been on the cusp of a permanent starting role. Right, it seems like it was funny. I never even realized it until Keishawn Nixon brought it up last season. But all these playoff runs green Bay's been on, it's Ben Valentine. With Nixon, It's just that he wasn't the incumbent at the beginning of the season. Just one thing or another worked out that he ended up having to be the guy at the end of the season. And it happened again last year, even though Jyry Alexander had been released. Green Bay goes and gets Nate Hobbs, Javon Bullard, you know, kind of solidifies himself in the slot. Hobbs has to be on the perimeter, but then he gets hurt. Valentine kind of rips that spot away from his old training buddy, and then there's not really a place for Hobbs right in his contract kind of dictated that Green Bay need to go a different direction. So they bring in Saint Juice, who's a dude who had some hype coming out of college and obviously played a lot for Washington, but really things clicked for him last year with Los Angeles and he was in this rotational perimeter spot, which you don't see a lot in the NFL. I think at a time, you know, Devon House did it for a little bit here when you got to the sub packages where a guy would move in on the perimeter. Usually it's guys coming into the slot. But Saint Jus did that last year for the Chargers, and as you saw the stats from PFF, was the top zone cornerback last year the National Football League based on their metrics. So a guy that I think has some motion going for him right now, and then certainly you add in a Brandon CSA he's only twenty years old. You will have to see exactly in training camp, in this offseason program how ready he is for that spotlight. But there's a continuation of guys too that have come out as rookies at that position and contributed right off the bat. Jyry Alexander being one of them. Casey Hayward was a defensive rookie the Year finalists back in twenty twelve, kind of coming out of nowhere in the second round and then being a playmaker straight away. So I feel like, you know, Keishawn Nixon, Javon Bullard, those are your two guys. Those guys are locked in right now with that sub package nickel defense, which is pretty much the base defense nowadays the NFL. Who's gonna be the one that rises up in this competition and shows that they can be the one that's capable of playing opposite of Nixon? And as we saw last year, you need depth at that position. The next man up that got kind of roted away for green Bay last year, they had to go to the guys on the practice squad to finish out that season. This year they added the numbers, they built the depth and just seeing how that group grows together, a young group, how it grows together, I think is going to be a big, big key for this Packers team in this championship pursuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whoever emerges ultimately when Week one rolls around and the Packers are heading to us Bank Stadium for that opener against the Vikings, and you know whoever it is that's that's lined up as that starting boundary corner. How the depth shakes out behind that could really be significant too, because with Jonathan Gannon coming in, you know, Bobby Babbage and you know Daniel Bullocks, all the new coaches in the secondary, we don't know necessarily, you know, how often is Gannon gonna want to have four cornerbacks on the field? You know, does he want? We haven't seen a whole lot there's always some we haven't seen a whole lot of dime defense in Green Bay over the last over the last few years. But you never know, if you know, maybe that becomes a more of a regular sub package for a coordinator like Gannon. And if you need four cornerbacks on the field, you know, okay, then who's that second slot guy opposite of Javon Bullard? And and you know, the the depth and the pecking order of how this how this competition unfolds will definitely be important heading down the road. We also need to discuss special teams because there are a couple of issues and new faces there to talk about. Packers looking for that boost in the return game and brought in receiver Sky More as a free agent acquisition. Ranked in the top I believe he was in the top seven in both punk returns and kickoff returns last year for San Francisco. He's now in Green Bay. And then, of course, the other big special team story is the new kicker, Tray Smack, the rookie six round pick out of Florida. The Packers traded up to get him, then they release Brandon McManus. Lucas Haverstick is haversick, excuse me is still here, so that competition will be ongoing. But Trey Smack is the is the odds on favorite, is the guy that the organization is looking to nail down this job and and preferably for the long term. And this will be our first chance, hopefully, hopefully, in the limited opportunities we get to watch practice and OTAs, we might get a kicking period where we just get to see what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, and again we'll get our eyes on for the first time in terms of what he does in real time in front of us here at this Ota practices. But every report I've heard it's that it's been extremely positive that this guy, his leg talent, everything they saw in film, it's been showing up in these early sessions. I think there's a lot of faith that the player that they moved up to take at the end of the sixth round could be the next guy to lock that spot down again. Long way to go. But what I like about it too is there was so much focus on the decision to move on from Brandon McManus. I don't think enough attention has been put on the fact that Lucas Haversack is still here to compete with Smack. This is a guy that has been a featured kicker in the National Football League. I mean, he's been in that role with the Rams, and he was in the spot where he had to make some big kicks for Green Bay last year too. In addition to the fact he ended up acing the longest field goal in franchise history in Arizona from sixty one yards.
Speaker 1: That's sixty one yard kick in Arizona was actually a pretty big kick in that ballgame. The Packers were losing at the time. It was, you know, going right in at halftime. I don't think it's a kick necessarily that he gets the opportunity to make if it's not the last play of the first half where you're not risking the field position. But he made it and it played a big factor in the Packers winning a big road game last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Harsik has been in the spot before, and I think that's going to be an underrated, you know, competition to watch here because and if the Packers are locked in to Smack, I mean, Aversick knows how this game is played. I mean every single time he's on the field, whether it's in those practices, whether it gets the preseason, he's auditioning for the rest of the league. And that's just the way this thing goes now in the Nation FOOTBA League. And in addition to the fact that with these sixteen seventeen man practice squads, most teams are also carrying a kicker now, just based on how important that position is. So all that being said about Smack, I think the thing I'm most excited about is watching the sky More signing playout. I feel like this is the right time for both him and the Packers to come together. It just feels sort of serendipitous that those two are kind of meant for each other. Right. Green Bay has been sort of stuck in this perpetual windmill here with their special teams and just not being able to quite get it right. Even going back to the years with Mike McCarthy as head coach. They're trying to find guys that fit, and they finally accomplished it at punter with Daniel Wheelan. They're still trying to find that next kicker after Mason Crosby, but the punt return, kickoff return thing. One thing they've very rarely done is act had a guy who's sole responsibility, It shouldn't say sole responsibility, but what he's majoring in is returns. Yeah, More gives them that possibility. Now, this is a guy that came into the league with a lot of hype, second round pick, didn't really click the way you wanted to see a click, but he got a chance last year with San Francisco, and I felt that was sort of a renaissance with him and finding something and trying something new and succeeding in it. And I'm just excited to watch him with what you would imagine be some infusion of confidence where he can take this thing now in year two, because certainly Green Bay bringing him in, signing him as an unrestricted free agent, they believe he can be the guy to help solve that problem for them.
Speaker 1: It always feels like for the last handful of years at least, there's been kind of this imbalance in the Packers special teams where you know, a few years ago, back to back all Pro kickoff return seasons from Keishawn Nixon, So you get a spark there in the return game, but you have some coverage breakdowns and you're constantly trying to fix. You know, what's going on with what's going on with the coverage. You fast forward to last year until the very end of the season when Zane Anderson and bow Melton were hurt. The Packers coverage units were really solid all season long, but then there was never the spark in the return game that that you're looking for. Jaden Reid getting hurt early in the year played a factor in that. Then you're trying you know, rookies save on Williams, he ends up getting hurt. Matthew Golden, you try him, it doesn't quite work out. So you know, will this be the year now that you've you've got some things figured out coverage wise last year, can you find that spark in the return game so that you feel really good about both ends of that. And that's even taking you know, the the kicking and punting part out of it. I mean, the Packers feel great about their punter in Daniel Wheeling, a guy whose arrow is still pointing up. And then of course we're we've already talked about the kicking situation with with bringing in a rookie six round pick, so a lot for cam Acord, the Packers new Special Teams Cord to get his hands around and to move things forward. But that really gets rolling now with these next few weeks of ots in mini camp.
Speaker 2: And what excites me is and we've discussed this a little bit in the past, but the fact is is, compared to four years ago when Rich Bisaccia came in, here, there's a nucleus in place. There are coverage players, there are core special teams players. The Packers have identified those individuals. Now, can you get the specialist right and can you keep that together? Jaden Reid could have ended up being an all pro punt returner, but the fact is that he was going to have a shelf life to that, right, he just got a massive contract. I wouldn't imagine that he's going to be factoring into that competition unless it's an emergency this year based on what his responsibilities are going to be for the Packers' offense and the role that they expect him to fill. Same thing with Matthew Golden being a first round pick that was playing in that area last year. Saveon Williams is a third round pick, maybe he's still involved in it. But these guys, there's an offensive component to it. There's a skill position component to it that, just like Randall Cobb, you're going to graduate off of it at some point. With more this is going to be something that he's going to really have his concentration centered on this summer, in addition to the fact that potentially what he could add to the offense is a compliment to that. So yeah, cam Acord, I feel like this guy at this time, with where the special teams are positioned, there's a reason why. He said he felt like this group can compete right now to be a top unit, and it's because of some of those things that they've put in place in recent years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, with that, you and I will have to get ready to hit the practice field tomorrow. But a bit of a programming note. At the end of the week, this guy is headed out to the golf course and I'm headed out to try to catch some fish. So because of that, this will be our only show this week, and then when we return to the studio next week, we will talk about the first open practice and we'll actually be shooting that show right before we go out to another practice, so we'll have plenty to talk about next week when we're back. But because this is our only show this week, it also happens to be the last show for our producer, Hannah. And I know that she's never been in front of the camera. You' all have no idea who she is. She's been with us back behind the scenes for a couple of years now she is moving on to bigger and better things. So I want to provide a heartfelt thank you for everything that she has done for us. And Hannah, we said goodbye to Marv a while ago as our producer, and then he hung around the building for a few more years doing all sorts of other jobs before he eventually left. And then we said goodbye to Justin, and then after a little while, Justin came back and now he's doing other things around the building as well. So if you're gonna be back at some point, all good, Hey, we'll take that. We'll continue to have some fun here. But until that happens, so long, farewell and best of luck to you, and I mean with all my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny too because hannah' is too humble to do this. But if it would have been Justin, he probably would have like put his face up yeah screen like like have it super imposed really quickly. No, Hannah's been tremendous. We appreciate her efforts here. You and I are not the easiest people to deal with, especially with how our schedules can be sometimes, so wishing her lots of luck. It's crazy to me, man, I mean we're ten years into this thing now and we were trying to do the math beforehand of how many different producers we've had at this point. Yeah, with the show, the one thing, Mike, my one regret. We have this brand new studio, it's so cool, it's so hip, so modern, but we still don't have like that uh producer cam like all those big shows have, like McAfee and kah Patrick. We can go on the back and like kind of cue in and see.
Speaker 1: Our Yeah, you can get to see, you can get to see and like we could actually have conversations with them during the show, like we haven't. We haven't quite reached that point yet.
Speaker 2: No, so you get stuck with us the whole time. But but congrats to Hannah, good luck to her, and uh yeah, you and I will just keep trucking on with either Justin or whoever else comes in, yeah, whoever else gets stuck with.
Speaker 1: Whoever else finds their way into the into that control room over there. So with that, we'll call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of OTAs this week. We'll have all kinds of stories for you on Packers dot com and then we will be back with more shows of Unscripted next week. So for Wes, I am Mike, thank you for tuning in everybody, and we will see you next time,