Speaker 1: Hey, folks, did it Saturday, November twenty second? And the question on this Saturday is there ever a good reason to leave behind your wedding ring? Or how about this as a good reason. I'm the second Lady of the United States and a mother of three. Give me a freaking break. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. I didn't know this was a big deal. You said you had seen this story other places. I guess during the week, second Lady out without a ring and uh oh.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: She was on official duty as second Lady. She was alongside Millennia. That sounds so weird, yes, second Lady, but she was in Campbullushoes. So she was there on official duty. And so to forget your wedding ring when you know there are photographers, you know there are going to be cameras following you. That is why it seems suspicious. I think a lot of times, yes, you could leave your ring if you're going for a run or you're running to the grocery store. But she was there and took the time to get dressed, and took time to get ready, and so why would she not put on her wedding ring?
Speaker 1: Do you, then I didn't plan to ask this or this early. But if you are this type of public figure, is this a mistake you probably should not make, just because it turns into what it has turned into, which is unnecessary. But it's turned into all these rumor meals about where they are now in their relationship, but also causing people to go back and look at every other aspect of their relationship.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the answer to that is yes, she should have known better. She is a very public figure. She knows she is going to be scrutinized. And look, you and I have been public figures and had to make the decision when to take the ring off. When you're being photographed, you have a camera on you, you know someone is going to notice, and you know someone is going to ask questions, and so you have to be in a place that you're ready to answer those questions. If you decide to make a very public showing of taking your ring off.
Speaker 1: Well, some people would also say in response to that, well, who gives a damn Why does she have to answer to anybody about her ring? She's a grown woman. Sure she's in the public eye, but she's still a very busy mother of three, I get what you're saying. But to those folks who maybe heard us say that, and I was saying, well, uh huh, I guess we could understand maybe what they're saying.
Speaker 3: Of course, she has every right to not answer and to not care. But you know that if you don't wear your rings, there are just going to be tabloids and rumors, and it's just going to fuel those rumors. And so if you want actually peace for yourself, the best thing to do is be just careful about those kinds of things because they will get noticed. Period.
Speaker 1: So she did give a response, Our office did give a response. It's all good. We'll give you the exact wording of their response. But of course they shut down anything. But there has been a lot so much out there about what this means. And I even saw an article a second ago before we came on talking about how divorce lawyer's tongues were wagging at some of the stuff that seeing about this relationship. So this isn't the only thing I guess about their marriage that's come under scrutiny. And I swear I was unfamiliar with these other things as.
Speaker 3: Well, So I did not know what sleeping on the couch was because one of the headlines was that the Democratic Party's official X account actually revived this meme that had been circulating in twenty twenty four, sleeping on the couch, And so I had to do a bit of a dive on that because it is bizarre. I actually had to make sure I got it from multiple sources. But I figure NPR is a pretty safe one.
Speaker 2: So many years back, does this go?
Speaker 3: This is just twenty twenty four, Okay, so just last year. But there was someone on X that made a false claim that said then Republican candidate jd Vance.
Speaker 2: Basically he used a couch to masturbate. Yes, okay, you're to.
Speaker 3: Say it, Okay, fine, yes that he It was very specific y basically masturbated with two couch questions. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to say the way the way they had written it because it was just too gross.
Speaker 1: This is why these are the times I wish we had cameras, because you to see her face try to figure this out, and now she's biting her nails.
Speaker 2: She's still not sure how to Still I'm blushing.
Speaker 3: I'm blushing right now, socause that's why I was struggling, but yes, Ultimately that was said that he basically had sex with the couch, to the point that the AP at one point published an article to debunk the rumor, and the headline was no, jd Vance did not have sex with a couch. But that just legitimized the meme. That just legitimized all the social media fund that was being had and so then it basically widened the joke. More people knew about it because peoplere like, wait, what, so it actually made it worse. So then they actually ended up taking the article down and said that it had not gone through standard editing process. They realized they made a mistake. They shouldn't have basically like normalized or at least widened the reach for folks to understand that this was a meme that was going on. By saying he didn't do something, it made people hear the rumor.
Speaker 2: For the parshole.
Speaker 1: My goodness, dearest, we haven't talked about this yet, but that exact thing is a debate we have had plenty and we're having now about when someone actually lies about you, do you come out there and take down every headline? But what you're doing is giving everybody license to just make up the next lie and get attention, and you end up in a position to where you're spending all your time just denying things that were just made up in the.
Speaker 3: First place, and some people will always believe it no matter what. So yes, an putting that in any more reach than it already got was a big mistake.
Speaker 1: So I guess it didn't help debunk the rumor if you put the article up and then take you down. So now it seems like, oh so it wasn't a legit debunking.
Speaker 3: There is jump on that, then, right, okay?
Speaker 1: If that was the time, this is one time I have I feel so average event okay.
Speaker 3: And then he also stepped in it a little while ago by basically saying I have the exact words that he used, but basically saying that his wife, Usha, who is a Hindu, he is a Christian. He wished that she would convert, so he said this, do I hope eventually that she is somehow moved by the same thing that I was moved in by church? Yeah, I honestly I do wish that because I believe in the Christian Gospel, and I hope eventually my wife comes to see it the same way. But if she doesn't, then God says everybody has free will, and so that doesn't cause a problem for me. That's something you work out with your friends and your family, with the person that you love.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Yes, is that fair enough answer? He wishes? But is that offensive to her?
Speaker 1: Religion is offensive to Is it disrespectful to her to even ask to have any expectation? I don't know, but that sounded like a respect lance.
Speaker 3: He was being honest, So he did have to go back, come back and clarify. He didn't apologize, but he clarified and said he didn't intend for what he said to put any pressure on his wife. So he came out and had to say that because people were upset about him saying he wishes that his wife would convert to Christianity. So anyway, that also made people think, hmm, trouble and paradise. They're having issues about religion. That's a big problem. I see a riff. So there's been constant rumors now that they're headed to divorce court.
Speaker 1: Yes, because she forgot her ring at an event and the other thing. Again, everybody's scrutinizing everything. When is a hug more than a hug.
Speaker 3: Yes, so this is a hug that also sparked problems in Jade Vance's marriage. So before I did see this, Erica Kirk and Jade Vance were hugging and it was on stage in front of everyone, and it was she had her hand in the back of his head like almost like she was tossling his hair like intimately, like it's that is a weird thing for a woman. It's an intimate way to hug someone. And so it looked like it looked weird. It did. It looked bizarre to some how did what did you think? It looked like?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have a difficult time in those moments snapshots.
Speaker 2: Of just moment.
Speaker 1: Well it wasn't a snapshot, it was there's a video.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hate to just interpret those moments. I don't know their relationship, how close they are. I just I But again, this goes to folks looking for anything with this marriage and album shocked that that was one thing they're pointing towards as if that is a sign of a problem in jad Vans's marriage. Because of where Erica kirk hand was during a hug, it seems Oh, and people.
Speaker 3: Are ruthless online. Ya you know, Usha, you're in trouble. You know, people just posting it and putting like funny, kitchy what they think are cute headlines just to get people to like it and to get clicks. But these are real people. I don't care if you're the vice president, if you're a celebrity. These things sting, and you hear celebrities, you hear folks come out and talk about how much it actually does affect them and impact them to see things like this put out there. They can laugh it off publicly, but it does. It makes you feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Where are we then, as a public.
Speaker 1: What should we do with public relationships? Do they're the second family? Do we scrutinize right their public figures? So therefore, this is part of it.
Speaker 3: It comes with the territory. Okay, it does, but it is always you know, it's interesting to see it's almost this seems is that people are rooting for their split. It does seem because of the partisan nature of this isn't just a celebrity. This is somebody, obviously who a lot of people fervently support and a lot of people fervently dislike what you said.
Speaker 2: The Democrats have on their So yeah, they're.
Speaker 3: The ones the on their X account. They have a they revived the memes sleeping on the couch. So it's that, you know, that does seem to be in poor taste if we know now that he's referencing JD. Vans a completely false narrative that JD. Vans wrote about masturbating on the couch.
Speaker 2: Okay, and thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm always can't find the right word, but that's exactly what I was looking for.
Speaker 2: It's in poor taste, yes, to do what they did.
Speaker 1: You're making fun of this guy in his relationship in a personal way.
Speaker 2: That's just that's tough.
Speaker 1: But I do appreciate the way that the second Lady's office, how they responded to what's happening now in all of these rumors. Now, I loved it Robes when I first read it, and then I read the second time, and by the time I came around to the third I said, wait a minute, was that okay for them to say that and say it that way? Well, folks, stay here, when we come back, we are going to give you the word for word response and that you decide was this a good response? Cute response? Funny response, perfect response or a old response. All right, folks, welcome back, Amy TJ continuing, Now a ring robes time. What excuses do you have? What are legit excuses? When can you leave your wedding ring behind? And it's not a big deal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I never want to leave it behind, but I did recently. You pointed it out. You're like you and you saw immediately You're like, where's your wedding or where's your engagement ring? And I was like, oh, oh, I know where I left it?
Speaker 2: So what was it that day?
Speaker 3: So I was putting body lotion on, and so I didn't want to get lotion. I didn't want to gunk up my ring. So I took it off and put it right next to the sink and not very far away from the drain and all of that. But I usually take it off when I put lotion on.
Speaker 1: Okay, when is it okay to be upset with your significant other for leaving the ring behind? Because things happen if they do frequently and they just don't want to wear We're not talking about that. But at what point could you leave it somewhere and you actually have a legit cause to be upset with your spots.
Speaker 3: I think if Vegas or yes, seriously, I was gonna say, if you're going on a boy's trip, Oh wow, I think you can seriously be upset if you're significant Yeah, I guess your significant other left their wedding ring behind and you know they're going on like a trip to go have fun with their girls or guys. Yes, you could be mad. What do you think Is there a legitimate reason why you could be mad?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I actually, look, if you are good, if you are solid in that relationship, and I know anytime you leave your ring behind, it's I hear the lotion. Fine, I could be offended that she didn't think enough of it to put it on. No, because I'm pretty sure when you leave it behind, you're more upset that you left it behind than I am. And right, there's something about it now that seems so silly and petty and small. Really, if our relationship is going through struggle just because we can't make it through a weekend of you being in Vegas without a ring on one finger, then we probably got the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I hear you on that, And look, I don't think i'd be mad. But I think if you already had other problems, you might be concerned that that was a delay act and you might not even say anything or confront the other person, but it'd be in the back of your head, like I wonder, I wonder, I wonder, that is what it's just like it starts to erode away. Trust that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh, there are reasons for it.
Speaker 1: And look the second lady gave her reasons for it, and I thought, okay, up on first reading, I'll just give it word for word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they response deer okay, oh yeah, I was worried you didn't have him freak.
Speaker 3: I do okay. Usha Vans is a mother of three young children who does a lot of dishes, gives a lot of baths, and forgets her ring sometimes.
Speaker 2: How you like that?
Speaker 3: I think it's honest, That's what I think it is, because when you're doing all of those things, Yeah, you do tend to take your ring off because you don't want to mess it up or have it get in the way.
Speaker 1: You know what, Again, you take the words right out of my mouth, and that's the perfect way to say it. That sounded like an honest answer. Yeah, it was almost like are you freaking kidding me. She's a mom. Are the ages eight, five, and three are the ages of the kids. Yes, she's busy, Yeah she is. So I thought that was a perfect response, and then I looked at it again. Yeah, she's forgot a ring, she's been doing dishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, it sounded maybe a little sexist to some and that, like, look, I'm sure there are other reasons why. For me, self care is part of the reason why I would take my ring off as well, but that is probably the reason why. And she is a mom of free and she does do the dishes, probably more than JD. Just guessing that's probably true. She is probably the one who is giving the kids the baths, not JD. So he is busy. I get that. So it's just honest, and I think a lot of women related to that. I actually saw folks say same, me too, Like I get it. So I do think it was incredibly relatable.
Speaker 1: Exactly, she nailed it. Uh, oh, he's been out there. We see her here and there. I know if she's done interview. Not a whole lot, not a whole lot. But I was very impressed by this and that response. And I have been always impressed by her, so I continue to be so. But do you think just and yes, they're fine.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, And turns out everyone just is speculating because it's clickbait and it's fun. I think a sport. I think for some people to almost root for the demise of people they don't like or they don't agree with. So anyway, that is a sad state. But certainly it is wonderful to report that the Dvances are doing just fine and without everyone. Thank you for joining us. We appreciate you as always, I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We will talk to you soon.