Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour in this Wednesday, We're down a man, down a Danette, Marvin has Jerry duty for the first time ever. NASCAR is hitting the city streets of Chicago. Don't miss out on all the action Sunday on NBC and Peacock. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Paenini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. There's random things that kind of come into my head. And I said to Todd, I said, is the anniversary of Mike Tyson biting Evander Holyfield? Is that today? And Todd goes, I don't know, And then all of a sudden he finds out that it is. And then now he's an expert on Mike Tyson. It was twenty six years ago today, this was the rematch. This was Tyson Holyfield two and that was in Las Vegas a night night. Yeah, and Mills Lane was let's.
Speaker 3: Get on Mike, commit them taking a point, do it again, You're out.
Speaker 2: That was a big deal at the time. That was a big deal. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Bit his ear, I know, spit out a chunk, git it off, not a nibble.
Speaker 5: I know, God, he bit, he bit a chunk out of his ear. Yeah, I means laying in the ring.
Speaker 6: Holyfield won the first three rounds. With thirty two seconds left in the second round, Holyfield ducked under a right from Tyson and he his head went up and caught Tyson a little and like not a head butt, more like a just a collision. But Tyson was very upset because he got hit in the right eye, and that's when he started to lose it.
Speaker 5: I think he had been head but a few times in the in that match, I think, yes, and he and he was. He was clearly getting frustrated and starting to lose its cool.
Speaker 2: That is the highest grossing pay per view, at least it was at the time. There were just under two million buys of that fight, the first fight to break one hundred million dollars in revenues. But Mike couldn't figure out Evander Holyfield. You know, holy Field wasn't a power puncher. He was really not a heavyweight, but he did move up. The purse was going to be bigger. But he was a better boxer than Mike, and Holyfield frustrated him so much so that he ended up biting his ear. Mike also has a cannabis company and he does have holy Field ears that are edibles and it has the bike mark out of the ear and you can buy this edible. You know, it's got CBD and I think it's called Mike's Bikes and it's it's just ears. You can get Vander Holyfield's ear a little.
Speaker 3: Extra chewy, I think a little wax on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of gross.
Speaker 6: Yes, I just watched back the video. And so after the second round, Tyson is in his corner. He's very upset and the bell rings for round three and Tyson comes out without his mouthpieces, trying to talk to mills Lane, but the round had started. Field's going in to punch him in the face, and they kind of slow things down and they make him put his mouth piece in, and Tyson's getting frustrated. He bites them, but you really can't see it because they were like nuzzled. Their heads were kind of nuzzled against each other. The camera doesn't pick it up and the ref doesn't pick it up. So the first time, mills Lane is confused and Holyfield's trying to say it, but he also says, let's get it back going, and then the second one is out of hand.
Speaker 7: Yes, and seeing Holyfield leaping up in the air holding his tears like.
Speaker 8: That, imn so wild.
Speaker 2: Holyfield and Tyson were going to fight in nineteen ninety but then Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. Holyfield was next after Tyson was supposed to beat Buster Douglas and then they were going to fight the following year. Tyson was convicted of rape in nineteen ninety two, so then they had to hold off. Tyson was released from prison in nineteen ninety five and then they finally met in nineteen ninety six. Holy Field I don't remember this. He became the first fight since Ali to win the heavyweight title three times. Holyfield Tyson two was booked as sound and fury. Tyson suffered a cut over his left eye and training camp. Then they had to postpone that and then they had the Event of the Year is what it was called by Ring Magazine in nineteen ninety seven. Tyson was a big favorite in this despite a loss in the first fight. So he was thirty four and one and gosh in his fights that lasted three rounds or fewer. He had fifty six career fights. But thirty four and one.
Speaker 6: After the fight, I guess Holyfield with a bit near the Nevada State Athletic Commission of banned him fine with three million dollars, and shockingly, less than two years later they reinstated him.
Speaker 2: But he was also so I think he was. That's ten percent of the amount of money that he made that night. He made thirty million dollars, I think that night for three rounds. Man just a fascinating, fascinating individual, you know, grew up on the streets. Costamano took him in under his wing. And when you have him on, you're not sure what you're getting. You're not sure which Mike Tyson you're getting. But when he's playful, he is funny, he's engaging, and you know, there's a childlike quality to Mike. I appreciate you, Thank you, Tom. Wasn't it yesterday the anniversary when Mike thought Michael Spinx that the ninety one seconds ninety one.
Speaker 4: Seconds, we spent more time talking about him.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're just certain things. I'm so fortunate that I was able to witness and all the great athletes and all the great events. And there's something about a title fight. It brings out some real characters. And once that bell sounds like, there's no place to hide. That's what I love about boxing. No timeouts, it's you, it's me, and one of us is going to get out of this ring alive. And that was always the case with Mike, that you'd hear that thing and I'd go, oh, you just hold your breath. And when I saw him fight Joe Fraser's son, Marvus Fraser and Mike Michael Spinks, and I thought, oh my god, they're going to get killed. I truly thought that Mike could kill somebody in the ring because he loved to do that upper cut and he wanted to push your nose into your brain. I mean, he was violent. He didn't he was telling you he was going to be violent. This wasn't a sweet science, there was no science whatsoever. It was violence, and he made no excuses for that.
Speaker 9: I could picture my fist going through the opponent of the back of his neck, like back of his guy. I told Oprah that one I punched him right through it, the back of his skull.
Speaker 2: I think, I think you're getting that down pretty well, working on it, but I'm let's get Tyson on and then I want you to do Tyson Tyson.
Speaker 3: I don't find that particularly funny.
Speaker 2: Where do you live in studio? Would you do it in studio? If I had Mike Tyson sitting over by me, and I would say, hey, Mike uh Todd does an impersonation of you.
Speaker 3: My only concern is I've seen some interviews that that did not go well, where he looked like he was gonna beat the crap out of the host that brought up, you know things, We wouldn't be bringing those things up.
Speaker 2: The contents came.
Speaker 9: Yeah, oh, I mean to watch him actually attack me. Yeah, because he didn't take it. Well, it's only one punch, It's all it takes.
Speaker 3: Though they can never get up ever again.
Speaker 2: Possibly, Yeah, but you guys are the same size.
Speaker 3: One punch can cause major brain damage to a person. It could Mike Tyson even at his age.
Speaker 2: Tyson's older than you.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'd rather him just go play with his pigeons and his uh cannabish.
Speaker 3: But I would.
Speaker 7: I would do that if he ever came in suity, I would do the You would do the dice.
Speaker 2: On that, okay? All right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, even just like Mike Tyson's like the black trunks and those black shoes. Everything about him was just like and no robe, yeah no, right, yeah right, there was like no flash to him whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like he had he left the car running and he went into the ring. Uh, I'll be out in the second. Let me go knock this punk out and I'll be out. Hey, what took so long? I bit his ear? You know, it got crazy in there.
Speaker 7: I don't know that opening stand there with his eyes going back and forth staring at his opponent was like so creepy, scary.
Speaker 2: It's like a bowl when the bulls ready to attack. And just like that, that was that feeling you got when Tyson came in. Fascinating, fascinating. I don't like to talk about.
Speaker 3: That anymore, But I don't know what People at me back.
Speaker 2: Bank you Ton, move on for banking Ton big night last night in Baseball Show, Hey O'tani did it at the plate and on the mound. He also had the Dodgers Clayton Kershaw. He's probably on his way to maybe another Cy Young, which would be a great story for him. Otani. Those are impressive numbers. So he's got twenty eight home runs so far the seventy six ers. I guess they're going to figure out or find out here in the next day or at the end of the day. If James Harden is going to come back. If I'm the seventy six ers, why do they keep churning through players? They've had a lot of players. Are we still in the process here because they did have Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris is going to be on his way out? Is James Harden on his way out? Ben Simmons was on his way out? Is Joe well MB one day going to go? Why am I staying here? I'm not the problem? Why Why is it that you know, you keep changing my teammates on me? Nobody works here?
Speaker 5: Just me? Yeah, nobody else? Because yeah, then you have to be like, maybe it is me. The coaches aren't working. Yeah, all of the other players aren't working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're Philadelphia, do you want him? Like I would prefer he opted out? Well, although I think Houston is kind of quietly creating a pretty good roster that they may go after, you know, Fred van Vliet. They might add a couple of guys in free agency, and the Rockets could be an interesting team, could be an interesting team. But James Harden, I think just wants to be able to have some fun. Yeah, I played some pressure in pressure situations didn't go well. I'd like to get back to being able to shoot whenever I want to. Because I thought, if you gave me Harden at twenty one to ten, man, I'll take that. If he buys into that. And then we had these wild fluctuating score performances in the playoffs where he's like, you got forty five, and then he got thirteen, and then he got thirty nine and then he got twelve. I'm thinking, I just want you to be a playmaker, man, And maybe maybe he does want to go back to Houston. Then if he does for comfort Home, whatever, he loved it there, great, But that's the guy that you want to see. I want to see him succeed, but I just don't think it's going to happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul Houston's got young guys Fromer the Kid, Jalen Green the Guard. It must be a great score? Was there like twenty two a game? Does that seem adding a guy who completely takes the ball out of your hands half the game positive for development?
Speaker 2: If I'm a young guy, I don't want James Harden coming to town. Be like no, no, no, we're the ones building this. You had your opportunity. It didn't go well, but this is, you know, big week for free agency, opting in opting out week. What's poll question for the final hour?
Speaker 3: See no Connor gave us I'd rather play off of lebron and Brownie. Of course, I'd rather play with my kid against my kid seventy seven percent with my boy or girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if this is going to happen. It's a mock draft. Had the Hawks taking Bronnie at seventeen. We got a long way to go, long way to go to get there. But I think lebron Co signed on this, like all right, yeah James gang and I'm a m I don't think so, don't see it happening. Feels pretty comfy in La.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nothing against Atlanta, but it feels like he's got a pretty good setup going right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm Bronnie, James. I may stay at USC a second year. I think I'm going to the Hawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how long do I have to stay at USC before my dad retires?
Speaker 6: We're national TV games at USC more money. Probably, yeah, I bet you can make more money. They say eighteenth pick of the draft, seventeen seventeenth pick of the draft.
Speaker 4: I mean it's salary.
Speaker 6: I know he's going to get lots and lots and lots of endorse but he do just as well at US.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 2: Probably, well, he's going to make that money no matter what sure endorsement. He'll make it when he goes through the NBA. But the fact that he's going to make whatever seven million dollars in name, image and likeness in college, he'll still make He'll make that and his salary when he goes to the NBA. You know, I have some point spreads here that just came out. This is from DraftKings. We've talked about the Thursday night opener with the Lions against the Chiefs, and that's still six and a half. Lions getting six and a half. The Jets that Monday night game against the Bills, Bills favored at the Jets by one and a half, one and a half one in a hook. The Dolphins against the Chargers, Dolphins getting two and a half. Bengals against the Browns, Bengals giving two and a half. The largest spread opening weekend according to DraftKings, the Ravens against the Texans nine nine random. But oh, you can also bet on this the longest reception over under in the NFL this upcoming season. And you want to take a guess. This is the over under longest reception of the season, according to DraftKings. And it's it's not person it's yardage. Todd. Longest reception over under is eighty one and a half seat O'Connor eighty seven, Paul eighty nine and a half, ninety two and a half.
Speaker 5: We were trending upwards.
Speaker 2: Longest run this year, Longest rush rush over under.
Speaker 4: Todd sixty eight and a half.
Speaker 10: Seat O'Connor ninety seven and one half quarterback this year according to four.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty seven. I didn't call on you, yeah yet, were just qualified Todd.
Speaker 3: Five O three.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 5: It was a long pause, a long pluzzant finger was very dramatic.
Speaker 4: You're excusing me of something I don't know. I don't know, uh, five hundred and forty.
Speaker 2: Five, five oh two and a half, I said, five O three.
Speaker 3: I know that's pretty wild that I would be that.
Speaker 2: That's why I paused, and then Paul I should have known. I was trying to give you a hand up there.
Speaker 3: That was an amazing guest by me. I'm not getting enough credit for that one. Just now, I just randomly said five O three five two? What happened? It was five oh three or whatever?
Speaker 2: Is this a skill?
Speaker 3: I think that's like guessing. What I just did was like a big jar jelly beans.
Speaker 7: I said, I don't know, there's twelve hundred and eighteen in There're like, no, there's twelve hundred and nineteen in there.
Speaker 2: And you know who's a big jar jelly beans?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 2: That's true? Yeah, big jar jelly like the purple ones.
Speaker 4: I like the grape joke at the bank where they say all the jelly bean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, essentially what I just did? You guess all the cheli beans. That was incredible, Todd, you know what pause for jeez?
Speaker 4: I gotta beg for it. What a skill?
Speaker 7: Yeah, wildly amazing guests.
Speaker 2: Incredible skill. You have, incredible skill.
Speaker 3: You're the one who were talking about one hundred yard field. So it's either gonna be eighty eight or eighty three or ninety four. This one was like it could be on either it could be four hundred and twelve yards could be six hundred and fifty yards and I said, forget it.
Speaker 2: Are you done?
Speaker 5: The point was made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a jelly bean, No are you done? How many coins in the draw?
Speaker 2: No, you are done? You know on this show, when you ask for more credit, it always works out really really well. Yeah, that's yeah. Yeah, let's take a victory lap time. Congratulations, thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: It was pretty awesome though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about we take a break here when we come back. John Wertheim, he is a sixty Minutes correspond He just went over to talk to the Minister of Sports in Saudi Arabia and interesting back and forth at one point in the interview, and I want to ask him what is the bigger picture here? What's the endgame for the Saudi this public investment fund? Are they coming to the NFL or the NBA or baseball? We'll talk to John Wertheim from sixty Minutes and we'll do so coming up next. We're back after this barbecue chicken ranch sliders. Now, I'm just suggesting this, not asking for this. Kings Hawaiian dot com recipe inspirations and they provided so many great recipe inspirations that well, you can't go wrong because first of all, you start with the sweet pre rolls or the sweet roles, the pre sliced slider buns with the perfectly sweet and salty pretzel slider buns. Those are just good as a snack. You don't have to put anything on those buns. But this is what's on the barbecue chicken ranch sliders. If I ever become a voiceover guy in a commercial, this is what I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: That's really hungry right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna guess there's chicken, rotisserie chicken. I guess there's ranch dress.
Speaker 2: Barbecue sauce, shredded cheddar that was my nickname in high school, red onion, roasted peppers, ranch dressing, and a touch, a touch of jalepeno and salon.
Speaker 3: On a King's Hawaiian pretzel on the og.
Speaker 2: Shut up time, go to your local store, pick up the That's what it says in the content. It resists, Oh Kings Hawaiian Rolls, and enjoy. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. We'll talk to John Worthheim. He is a sixty Minutes correspondent, did a story on sports washing. He went to Saudi Arabia, sat down with the Minister of Sports over there, kind of figuring out what is the bigger picture, what are the sports would they like to invest in? And John joins us. Now, John, thanks for joining us. What concerns you or should concern you or us about the so called partnership that the Saudi Investment Fund has with the PGA Tour moving forward?
Speaker 1: You know, this still has to pass regulators, a lot of details. Even this five to six page framework that we saw still sort of leaves more questions unanswered than answered. And I think the bigger picture is just what is our comfort level with this investment fund and this kind of money coming into sports. Some of this is the you know, the morals that that Jay Monahan among others have alluded to, but also some of this is just what does it do to sports when one of the players has a completely different set of economics than everybody else.
Speaker 2: Well, you've talked about this that your return on investment most people get into sports by a team and there's a return on investment. The Saudis aren't concerned about that.
Speaker 1: Well, they want to return on investment. It's just a much different much of a Dan Sneyer or whatever. You know, Josh Harris buys a team from Dan Sneyder and he's oh, here are broadcast contracts, and here are the sweets, and here's some real estate play I can make. This is a completely different set of math with the Saudis. This is about rebranding a country, and there's this Vision twenty thirty plan with the sort of national plan to completely transform the country and sports figures very prominently. That's a lot different of a ballot sheet than are we selling enough suites? And are we going to get our media rights renewed?
Speaker 2: But are they really trying to change or they are they trying to give the appearance that they're trying to change.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. And when I went to Saudi Arabia, I mean, to their credit, I sat down across from the sports minister and they made him available. And on the one hand they were saying, you know, we don't even think sports washing is a thing. Look, we're lucky enough to have a lot of money, and we're going to invest in sports. It's a great way to motivate the kids. We have a young population. We'll put down your your phone and your chloopa and start running laps, and it's a great way to be. And then on the other hand, they said, look at all these cranes. We're really trying to update our economy. We're trying to diversify. Look at all this growth and development and tourism. So on the one hand, this sort of you know, it's not about throwing this money around, it's not about laundering a reputation. It's just about helping the kids. And then they would pivot and say sports is one of the pillars of this national transformation.
Speaker 2: How nervous were you?
Speaker 1: I think not, because one thing that became really clear was that this Jamal Koshogi, you know, this murder dismemberment, five years later, is still the first thing that people cling onto when everyone's trying to build a sports washing case. This is the first thing that they have to answer for. And I think that, uh, you know, it's it's it's crass and vulgar to think of it in these terms. But this was a horrible mistake that probably cost them a trillion dollars. I mean this, this is the very the very first thing when sports washing comes up is the dismemberment of a journalist. And so I think they know that they have a lot to answer for, and this is uh, you know, they've there's a set of talking points, and they still deny the content of the CIA report that uh, that this went all the way up to NBA, to the Muhammad bins On on the Crown Prince and that he had either ordered it or okayed it. They still take issue with that, but I think they know that this is something that's sort of this murder. I think it's accelerated all of this investment in sports washing because they've really had to double down on saying to the rest of the world, hey wait, we're just like you. We love Bruno Mars and we love uh, you know, the NBA golf and soccer as well.
Speaker 2: What else did Will the Sudies buy NFL, NBA baseball or they interested in that?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I mean part of it is just we all love sports. These franchises don't go down in value. It's a great way to build bridges and tear down walls. I mean, I also think just practically these teams get bought by individuals and when it's you know, when it's March Shot and you know Red Macombs and a local car deal, we're not in that ara anymore. I mean, these are you know, these are four or five six billion dollar properties. There are not a lot of individuals that have that spare change lying around me. I just think as franchise values go up, it stands to reason they're gonna have to go outside the US to find these these billionaires. But you know, these investment funds we saw this week that you know, ted leonsis and it's not Saudi, it's Katari, but they're taking a minority stake and you know, the wizards and the mystics and the capitals we're seeing in you know, inevitably. Now, there was an announcement a few days ago that that Saudi is looking into partnering with tennis. I mean, I think this beach had this sort of normalization with the PGA. I think is going to lead to a much bigger Saudi presence of sports. You know, mean, I think we got to spend thirty seconds. I don't know, maybe it's not a bad thing. Maybe this really is a way to break down boundaries. You know, the athletes love it. Values. You know, money is getting look at the PGA tour. I mean, money is being inserted into the ecosystem. I mean, I think we're all rightfully cynical, but I also think that we ought to reserve like a little column for hey, maybe this isn't a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know we can be hypocritical and a variety of fronts. Here we're talking to John worthim the sixty Minutes correspondent. I'm also wondering about this that you had this back and forth with the Saudi I don't know what his official title is, the Minister of sports. Where you were talking about, you know, the beheadings that they had, like eighty people who were beheaded, if that's the number. And then he brought up, well, you had this mass shooting in Texas and then you say, yeah, but that wasn't government ordered there. And I thought it was an interesting exchange between you two. What was the room like when that exchange happened, John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was some tense moments there. I mean, I think that the playbook and we saw this, right, I mean, I sort of got a little preview. Sometimes you go back, you do your research and you sort of anticipate what responses are. And in this case, I think the golfers gave me a lot of a lot of sense of what to anticipate because everyone's got the same talking points, which is, no one is perfect. We all wish we lived in a peaceful world. You know, wake me up, he without the first you know, if you live in a perfect country, raise your hand. I would say there ought to be some some basic standards. And yeah, I mean the mass shootings are terrible. We wish we didn't have them, but I would submit there's a difference between that and especially when I mean the other part of that is especially when a the state actor is the one making the investment, and b when this is part of at you know, people have also why don't understand you have an iPhone? Or how come we don't care that the Saudi has a big take in Facebook and so many many American companies. They haven't invested in Facebook as a strategy for rebranding the country. And I think that's the distinction.
Speaker 2: I would make one of the first stories you did, I think for sixty minutes was profiling show Heyo Tani what you knew then or found out then and where he is now. I think we're trying to understand what motivates him, and you know, the surroundings that he's in in free agency, and does he want to be in New York? You know, he's on the periphery of LA by being in Anaheim. Did you like glean anything from him of his personality and what makes him comfortable?
Speaker 1: He struck me as a really weird mix that'd be weird. I mean it was a really sort of fascinating mix of supreme confidence, right. I mean, he wasn't going to let some agent, he wasn't let some manager. I mean, he wanted to play both ways, and he was absolutely firm that he could do it and he would do it. I mean it was a deal breaker. And at the same time, there was such a humility he had no interest.
Speaker 8: In you know.
Speaker 1: I people say, well, you know, he's only gonna end up on one of three markets because you have a star like that and all the money he could make. And I had people close to him saying they don't understand him. He loves baseball, he loves his family, he's a simple guy. He doesn't want the publicity. He's not interested in going to the hottest club in South Beach or living in Lower Manhattan. And I think in a weird way, it was appropriate. And he went to a West clost you know, obviously it's closer to home marginally. So it's all about the baseball And it sounds like such a cliche, but you know, you'd ask him what he'd do for fun, and he would have a hard time remembering his his favorite place to eat in Supporto. But then you mentioned Clayton Kershaw and his eyes would lie up. He was a fascinating guy. But I think again it's it's sort of our our theme for the conversation. He has a different set of motivations than what we are used to. This is not about doing production deals on a podcast and maxing out his endorsement portfolio. Different economics.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that bodes well for the Angels because they let him pitch and hit, and there's there's a comfort level there and it feels like he gets into a routine. He's simple, he likes the routine, he likes the people, he likes the environment.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent and I think that, you know, if somebody's whispering his ear, Hey, come to this this snazzy, big big I can get you a meeting with so and so and you'll sit courtside at Knick's games. I think he loves that he's not even the biggest team in the market he's in and he's an Orange County I mean he I mean even now, that story I think was twenty seventeen. I mean, how many long sit down interviews have you seen. He keeps himself, He goes to the ballpark. He loves baseball. They're not hassling him about it. You'll pitch counts and we want to cut down on your starts. I think it's a you wish the team were winning more games. I think baseball wishes the team were more relevant. I think it's kind of a perfect situation for him.
Speaker 2: What's your next sports story coming up?
Speaker 1: Oh man for sixty I've the wimbled, had the wimbled. In a few hours, we'll see if the new all time leader in major singles titles wants to do a sixty minutes piece. Novak Djokovic.
Speaker 2: He's fascinating, absolutely, but does he like talking about being fascinating.
Speaker 1: He loves talking about being fascinating, the fascinating thing. It's so funny too, because you watch you watch the NBA Finals and there there's another Serbian who doesn't have much to say. This guy's really complicated, and he does some things that are fantastic, and he does some things that are just colossally. I mean, you wonder who's advising him. And he's kind of happy to talk about all of it. He's he's yeah, I mean, he's thirty six years old. Now we've all sort of watched this story unfold.
Speaker 2: John, he's the Aaron Rodgers of tennis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the Aaron Rodgers of tennis, with you know, with with the Barry Bonds, you know, with with with the with with the home run record. I mean, for fifteen years, everybody who sort of want to see who'd retire with the most majors. And he's moved ahead, he's probably not given up the lead and he's not done and yeah, and then he's got this area. You're right though, he's got this this Aaron Rodgers side to him, and he's still unvaccinated and he still plays his first round at the French Open and he signs the camera with a message of Kosovo. Usually athletes run screaming from yeah, this is like an American athletes signing the something about the Dobbs decision one way or the other. I mean, this guy not avoid controversy, and he's he's really a fascinating, maddening character.
Speaker 2: Safe travels, John, Thanks for joining us anytime. Thanks jam John werthon sixty Minutes correspondent he had some things to say about Otani because he profiled him on sixty Minutes. I believe back in twenty seventeen, so we've had some time here. He's had time to adjust to baseball in the United States sort of social media where he fits kind of in the pantheon here of athletes celebrities. Doesn't seem like he wants to embrace it or he hasn't embraced it, and he could easily embrace it. But also he might be comfortable, Like I always thought, each hero is comfortable in Seattle, Tony Gwynn was comfortable in San Diego, cal Ripken in Baltimore. They're just certain players certain cities. Tim Duncan in San Antonio, and you know, show hey, Tawny may be that that kind of athlete that, hey, I'm comfortable here, He's going to want to be compensated, well compensated. I don't know if he's going to get a ten year deal for six hundred million dollars. It wouldn't surprise me. But you know, we may be thinking, well, it's the Angels and the Dodgers or the Yankees. Throw them in there, maybe one other team, maybe San Francisco as an outlier there because they were in it with Aaron Judge Boston. But I don't know if he's comfortable in these places, and I think that will play a large role. Certainly sounds like that. But I did tell you about that exchange that John Wertheim had with the Minister of Sports in Saudi Arabia. And so you're there and you're having this conversation where John brings up that whatever eighty people would be headed in one day, and then the Minister of sports said, well, you have the mass shooting in Texas, and then John says, yes, but that wasn't government ordered, And I could just imagine, well, no, I can't imagine. I can't imagine what that would be like. Where you're going, Do I want to go back? To my room anytime soon here, pretty balsy. Yeah, could somebody you know what? How about it? You just take me to the airport. I think we're done here. I think we're good. All right, let's close up shop here, last call for phone calls? What we learn, what's in store tomorrow? We're back after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. Polly Foosco here with Tony Fusco.
Speaker 11: Yo.
Speaker 12: Of course you know us as the host of the number one rated show and all the sports docs, The Polly and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Now, the suits at Fox Sports Radio gave us this ad time because they wanted us to.
Speaker 2: Tell you how great our show is. Why.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Instead of us doing that, let's just let our millions of fans do the talker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, play the tape.
Speaker 5: You don't know.
Speaker 8: Crap about fool am I even own this crap?
Speaker 1: Whoa whoa, whoa whoa that's the wrong tape.
Speaker 12: Wrong tape just forget that look. Listen to the Folly of Tony Fusco show on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have Marvin back. Haven't heard from him. He was going in for jury duty. He was wondering if he wore a T shirt, one of our T shirts, if maybe he wouldn't be picked, And we were wondering, could he do the one about his plums? What's the official saying on that T shirt? Todd, I could feel it in my plum, feel it in my plums. That's a Will Ferrell line, I think, Yeah, what about the huh with a question mark? If you went in with a T shirt like then? Yeah? What other? What other T shirts could he have worn that we've come up with?
Speaker 4: Here, I'm doing my best.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe, yeah, I'm trying my best.
Speaker 6: Yeah, trying my best. Philosophically, they'd be concerned about that guy.
Speaker 2: There's issues with that is the best this guy could do right here? Yeah? Because Marvin, I think he was doing, you know, his public service, but I think he wanted to be here with us on the show. We were wondering is there something he could have worn that maybe would have helped him out of We used to.
Speaker 5: Have a shirt with Paul kicking Landon Donovan in the nuts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you could do that, right, Yeah, yeah, capital punishment there.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that help or hurt you?
Speaker 2: World Cup check. I believe that's right.
Speaker 4: I think I was receiving the kick in the grind.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, getting kicked, That's what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a special day.
Speaker 2: I had a backward Yeah, Landon Donovan kick.
Speaker 4: Fantastic moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let's see final results of the poll. Question, Todd, do you.
Speaker 3: Want to play with or against your kid? If given the opportunity and hanging strong? It's seventy eight percent rather play with.
Speaker 2: Uh tie in Missouri High Ty? What's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan, Dan? That's I just wanted to say one of the shirts that Marvin could wear, it could be the sucket back row perhaps, And if he's.
Speaker 2: In the front row of the jury pool and it says suck it back row, You're right, that would be pretty good. What else do you think? That's? Ty?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 13: I was also going to say Paul had mentioned about the infamous bite from holy Field and Mike Tyson's fight. Yeah, I thought it was provoked because Holyfield had headbutted Mike enough times where Mike had gotten pissed off and then took a nice chunk out of Holyfield's ear.
Speaker 2: That right or not? Yeah, I think that's how Mike perceived it, that he was being headbutted and he was going to take matters into his own mouth. See what I did for that, not his hands. Thank you, Thank you to Dustin in Alabama. Good morning, Dustin. What's on your on your mind?
Speaker 3: What up?
Speaker 11: No one time for Jeff and Detroit. I got a Southern style pecan pie to the faith bet and then a quick comment after yesterday's uh call in so part of the face bet that I believe the Saints in the Detroit lines will face off in the NFC Championship game. So if any of you or Jeff in Detroit would like to take that.
Speaker 2: Pit, Dustin, Paula is going to take that bet, which a.
Speaker 11: Right, all right?
Speaker 10: And then uh my comment And now we're talking about this year, Dustin.
Speaker 2: We're talking about this year Saints Lions NFC title game.
Speaker 11: Saints Lions NFC title game. Okay, all right, yeah, and then uh for calling me out on my trivia yesterday. Verry in Santa Fe can suck it where he was when he was?
Speaker 2: All right, Dustin? All right? I think he had the was that the Ken Lizzie trivia question?
Speaker 5: That's an A plus call right now? That was great, well done, Dustin, Yep, well like that.
Speaker 2: That's contents contents King Kevin in Kevin in Cincinnati, Hi, keV, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: How you doing? DP? And the Doblin Bound? Yes?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 8: Hey, listen, I got the name for Victor Wamba yaba Okay. Their name is the French wamba.
Speaker 2: Okay, so like the Black Mamba. Yeah, French.
Speaker 5: But I think we've had that suggested already. I think that's a good one though, the French wamba.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I still like the French chise. Yeah. The franchise franchisees car Goat is pretty good. That's funny. And then the French prince instead of the Fresh Prince. I like the franchise. I'm good with that. I think that makes sense, right.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: This dang sports history.
Speaker 6: Paul Mike Tyson in ninety seven bit holyly Field Deer three round fight nineteen seventy one, The US Supreme Court overturned the draft of aasion conviction of Muhammad Ali. Nineteen ninety five, the NBA Draft was held in Blank, the first time the draft was held outside of the United States. The NBA Draft was held where first time was held outside.
Speaker 4: The United States.
Speaker 6: Ninety five Expansion Team Canada, Canada, Skydom Toronto.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is sports history. Okay, this date two thousand and seven, the Celtics couldn't get the number one or number two pick in the draft, Greg Odin or Kevin Durant. They traded Delonte West, Wally Zerbiak, and the number five pick overall, which turned out to be Jeff Green, to the Sonics for Ray Allen. A month later, Boston would acquire Kevin Garnett from the Timberwolves, sparking one of the biggest one season turnarounds in NBA history. Man, both of those deals, Yeah, I forgot that they did that. They were trying to trade up to one or two to get Odin or Kevin Durant. Oh Man, The when's its first exhibition game? This might be a trivial pursuit question down the road. Nineteen ninety two, the Dream Team first exhibition game, can you guess the country final score one thirty three to fifty seven. I had this team and eighty points.
Speaker 4: Can you give us a hemisphere?
Speaker 2: No, because I may not know what that hemisphere is? Ooh Australia, No, Todd, Is that where Barkley.
Speaker 3: Had that famous comment about the country he was going to like?
Speaker 2: No, that was in the Olympics England. Yeah, yeah, well you would be wrong, see No. Connor, would you like to wager a guess about Israel?
Speaker 4: Israel? Yeah, okay, Cuba Cuba, that was allowed back then. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was allowed back then in nineteen ninety two. But beat Cuba. I don't know where they faced Cuba. I don't think they went on out there. Yeah, probably not there checking. I'm good, great.
Speaker 5: I remember there was this I don't know who's doing play by play for this, uh for Seattle for the Sonics back then. But ray Allen was just like going off one night. It's one of my favorite calls ever. But the guy goes, ray Allen is hearing signals from other planets. That guy was funny man. I don't remember his name.
Speaker 2: That sounds like something we would have settle on in Sports Center. Yeah, he man, that dude is funny. Back then, we got away with a lot. His management wouldn't stay up till eleven o'clock. I mean that was how we knew that they weren't staying up, because we would say stuff and we were like, oh, man, they're definitely going to call us on the carpet. Next day. He'd walk in and then you know, he walk by our boss and he'd go hell and we go. And then I was like, yeah, he didn't stay up to watch us on Sports Center.
Speaker 6: Yes, paul Usa Cuba box score Michael Jordan two of six from the.
Speaker 2: Phone Old Ray.
Speaker 4: Six points, Cuba, hold him.
Speaker 2: What did you learn today? Todd?
Speaker 3: Tim Hasselbeck cut by the Ravens right in front of everyone on HBO's Hard Knocks.
Speaker 2: He was a good guest today, great appearance, seatan. What did you learn today?
Speaker 5: I'm worth times? Got some cajone?
Speaker 2: Yes he does.
Speaker 4: Pauli Usaquba was played in Portland, Oregon.
Speaker 2: Discover credit cards do something pretty awesome. At the end of your first year. The automatically double the cashback you've earned everything you've earned. Doubled cash back from trips and restaurants. See the terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash Match. Thanks for the phone calls, the emails, the tweets, the all around support. Our pleasure to serve you for Todd and Marvin Seaton, Paulie yours truly talk to you tomorrow