Speaker 1: The Patriots and Colts got after it today for joint practices, and there was a lot going on. We're going to try to break it all down for you. Let's do it. Welcome everybody to the Patriots Camp cast presented by New Balance. And yes, the Patriots and Colts were out there, guys for joint practice today. A lot going on both fields, coming fast and furious, Paul.
Speaker 2: On a swivel, lots of watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought there was some good work really all around. I you know, I always think back, I joked when we did our PU you know podcast earlier during the practice that you know, I base everything off of that Philadelphia Eagles one here in Jillette Stadium where it was like, oh my god, we're in trouble. Nothing like that. You know. There was some periods of time that I thought the Patriots looked really good. Thought Drake May got settled in, uh, you know, for some periods. And there were other times I thought, quite frankly, you got a little sloppy with the ball. I thought his mechanics maybe got away from him, his little casual defense. I would say similar. I thought there was some open receivers, but I thought they were pretty physical upfront. I didn't think they allowed themselves to get gashed a lot, and with Jonathan Taylor he did increase them a couple of times. Dangerous guy. But overall I thought it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Even as he is known to do. I mean overall, though Drake may stick on that side, it's pretty good start for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought the explosiveness of the passing game was there. He made a handful of downfield completions. Maybe not consistent every single throw like Paul was talking about, but you know, really nice go ball to Romeo Dobbs along the sideline, couple of play action shots to the tight ends, Henry ardan aj Brown down the sideline for another one. So it was that big play may stuff that we're so used to seeing. But the Colts got the last left. They got the explanation point there starting offense, and Daniel Jones drove right down and I'm sure we'll talk about Tyler Warren here in a second and scored. And the Patriots ended with an interception. So I know everybody's going to declare a winner of practice and a lot of these wrap ups, I guess the Colts got the last laugh there at the end.
Speaker 1: Just a few names to throw you guys. I thoughts to know Pop Douglas continuing his really solid camp, had a bunch of catches, including down at that last team period. You know, we're seeing Eli Raridan continue just you know, not a ton of volume, but one's two's popping up a little bit for him. And then had a part of probably the play of the day Tommy Devido again downfield to Kyle Williams, who had a really nice to another.
Speaker 2: Really yes, I mean I would agree with all of the things that you pointed out. I would throw Romeo Dobbs in there. The play that Evan referenced to me was vintage Dobbs. He's just, you know, kind of a fade down the sideline, down the field, effortless. The hands are so strong. You put it on him and he's going to catch it. He doesn't need a ton of separation. He had a little on that play, But I think that he's starting to stack days now. We're starting to see the guy from Green Bay on a more consistent basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. He shook a Colt's defensive back in the end zone during the red zone work as well and scored there. I think two days in a row, Romeo Dobbs looks more comfortable, looks like Drake may understanding the routes that he wants to be running and where he wants to be targeted on the field. I thought the goball is just a great example. The Colts loaded up with pressure on the line of scrimmage, showed a bunch of pressure. They had Henry and Ramandre in the backfield together to pick up the pressure, and then it was just go routes on the outside and just take your pick with no safety a deep and he hit Dobbs on the sideline. So some good answers to pressure, you know, take your shots when you get that cover zero look. And Dobbs just been better and better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, More did some good things today too as well. A couple of catches for him in the end zone as well.
Speaker 2: It's blitz beaters, you know, and that's something we've been talking about all summer. You know, they can't they still seem like they're struggling with some of those overload blitzes. Well that's the best way to make teams stop doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then on the defensive side of the ball, of course, the headline We didn't see Christian Gonzalez today. At this point, we're not sure exactly did land Hard yesterday? Yeah, after that contested catch in the end zone. Bite Dobbs maybe an ankle injury, we don't know. We know his contract is up in the air, but certainly without him. Carlton Davis was back, but he didn't participate. Felt like the Patriots defensive they were down the depth chart a little bit. They were having some.
Speaker 2: Try It was a funny day, right, It was the you know, none of the Patriots, I mean, Marcus Jones really was the only corner that you would expect to see out there regularly for the Patriots, and virtually none of the receivers for the Colts other than Tyler Warren, who was a tight end. And I thought, if we're going to compare backups here, I thought the Colts backups got the better of the Patriots backups. They were opened consistently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say it was kind of a wash because Josh Downs did practice against Marcus Jones, so you kind of washed that one out. And that was backup receivers against backup corners.
Speaker 2: On the outside.
Speaker 3: I would just highlight Warren. We kind of knew this was coming deuced because last summer it was TJ. Hockinson in Minnesota doing the same thing to the Patriots defense. That two minute drill by Daniel Jones. All three plays to get them down there on the goal line. We're all Tyler Warren, you know, over the ball wheel route down the sideline, and he was open consistently and then down you know, got the actual touchdown. But I think covering tight ends and this scheme and this defense, I still feel like it's a little little bit of a enigma of how exactly they want to plan for guys like Tyler Warren. You know, he's a rare breed, like he's one of the best tight ends in football, but it's still something you gotta worry.
Speaker 2: Mike. I felt a little like you on the field after practice. You know, Tyler Warren was probably about twenty feet away from me, and I think I had Derek Henry vibes from you. That dude is big.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's a specimen. But you know, no Gonzalez, no Davis, no Christian Barmore up front for the Patriots defense. So they were missing some key players on defense. The Cols didn't have Alec Pierce, but the other receivers are out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just talk about that last two minute drive to for Drake, which I don't know what you saw. I was a little bit blocked by the pole there as he launched up that final pass, but he did throw an interception to close out that period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked like again they showed pressure inside and someone on the interior I couldn't tell exactly who, but it was in the inside got immediate pressure and kind of rocked them back off of his spot. And then he tried to go to his right and kind of reload and reset and throw the ball. I thought he had Douglas, but it was going to be a tight window, like he was gonna have to really fit it over the safety. But because he kind of threw off platform a little bit, he didn't have enough on the ball and Cambine them ended up picking it off. So probably one he said it after practice that he thinks it was second down. Probably when you throw out the back of the end zone and live to play another place.
Speaker 2: Because I'm looking back because I took note of his explanation. He sort of made it out to be kind of a desperation play. There was twenty four seconds left. Yeah, it was second and thirteen, so it wasn't quite you know, do or die, And I just think it was a bad throw. I mean, he under the rule. I thought Douglas was open. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've done enough of these joint practices where if you don't get lost in the details, it's up, it's down. It's just it's just really good work for these guys to go against another team, to go against another scheme. There were some ups and downs for both sides of the ball, but overall, I think they go back there with a lot of film to break down and a lot of good stuff.
Speaker 2: I bet both coaching staffs are pretty pleased with what happened. There wasn't really a ton of you know, John back and forth. It was a little here and there, but not a ton. I thought they got good reps for a lot of different guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just competitive, Like I thought, both sides kind of traded punches, not literally figuratively, and that was pretty clean. Like Paul mentioned off the top that Eagles joint practice was so one sided all over the field, offense, defense, whatever, this one felt a lot more like the one we were in Minnesota last year. Do you swear it was like, Yeah, the Vikings made some plays, the Patriots made some plays, the Colts made some place this here today. But I thought, overall, like I said at the beginning, I thought Drake May was really good until the pick at the end, you know, and that kind of puts a sour note on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Well, Mike Frebel also said, we probably won't see Drake May on Thursday night against these Colts, but hey, first preseason game of the season getting underway, be sure to tune into the Patriots pregame show with Paul On myself and a new cast that we have. We're excited to introduce everybody to that new cast we'll see on Thursday night.