Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, it is Saturday, January seventeenth. Got a date tonight? Neo doesn't need one with that. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Look, bro, this has been talked about a little bit and love relationships look different for a lot of people. But for long time now pop an R and B singer Neo, people have been fascinated by the fact that he lives and is in a relationship with three women and they all live under one roof and he's talking about it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a year ago, I think is when this first came out, but he actually had four back then four girlfriends are down to three. He calls them his pyramid, and it seems like if you look at his Instagram and if you listen to the recent interview he just gave, it's working for him. And people are fascinating because, as many of us know, it's hard enough to just have one significant other and make that relationship work.
Speaker 3: How are you managing three.
Speaker 2: At one time and everybody knows about each other. It's just it's kind of head scratching, but it's kind of impressive, but.
Speaker 1: It's just not traditional. Is that simply what it is? Anytime there is a relationship or something that goes against whatever grain or whatever we have in our minds. A relationship is supposed to look like. We question it, sometimes we criticize it, but this certainly is a little outside of what we would consider normal.
Speaker 2: Well it's also if they were to want to get married, it would be illegal. So I think a lot of people look at it as a moral or they look at it not just as different or unique, but as wrong or sinful. So you know, there are a lot of people who look at his polyamorous relationship as he's wrong. And so he's trying to I think, just don't I know everyone uses this word over uses this word normalize it. But I do think he's just saying, hey, we're happy.
Speaker 3: Why do you all care?
Speaker 1: There's why I am. He doesn't need to normalize anything. If this works for you and this works for them, knock yourself out. I always you've not hurt yourself and hurting somebody else, then who am I? But I think you're right. A lot of it is judgment, But yes, he went it was this week right. The interview this week was Sherry Shepherd, and he did. He spoke on it and said a lot of things that jumped out, and certainly that made headlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's interesting because he made it very clear. He said he has three girlfriends, but he has one relationship.
Speaker 3: That kind of was.
Speaker 2: It took a second for me to get my head around that. Wait, Okay, you have three girlfriends, but you have one relationship. So it's basically what's good for one is good for all. It's a little confusing. He did get into the details, but he wanted to make that very clear.
Speaker 1: Well, is this a matter where one family is what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Kind of yes.
Speaker 2: I mean, he did describe them as having group dates, that they all get there one on one time, but that it is the collective that is the relationship, and how the women get along with each other is just as important as how he gets along with each of them individually.
Speaker 1: What was the show, Big Love, Big Love?
Speaker 2: And then of course you have you know, plenty of this in the more fundamentalist Mormon sex in the country. But yeah, a lot of people, I shouldn't say a lot of people, but there are a number of people, for either religious reasons or whatever reason, choose this lifestyle.
Speaker 1: And I guess at this point we kind of just moving beyond, but just assuming everybody knows who Neo is. But this dude has been around for a couple of decades now doing his thing on the R and B charge misindependent, I think is a song.
Speaker 3: That a lot of people love.
Speaker 1: What was the one he has with Pitt Bull is will give Me Everything Tonight?
Speaker 2: That's him, forty six years old, been around, Mammy winning singers, songwriter and produced Neo.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I just thought everyone knew him, But you're right, maybe everyone doesn't. But I feel like if you google him even you know his face and you definitely know his music. If you go look on Spotify or wherever you get your music, put up Neo, You're.
Speaker 3: Gonna be like, oh that song, Oh that song?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was really interesting.
Speaker 2: A lot of people obviously want to know how it works, and that was a lot of the questions from Sherry Shepherd, and my interest was how does that work? But I thought it was interesting when he described when he decided to do this and why he decided to do this. He had been married for seven years and when he went through this divorce and it was a very public he called it a very public, ugly divorce, He said that he made a decision to live a more open and honest life, and so he was dating three different women after his divorce, and he decided that he wanted to first make amends about what went wrong in his marriage and then go forward in a very transparent way in terms of how he dates.
Speaker 3: I thought that was cool, he said.
Speaker 2: He said, I made the decision I was never going to tell another lie to a woman ever again in life. I own the thing that I did in that marriage to mess it up. I own it completely. And I decided I didn't want to be the reason that anybody ever felt like that ever again.
Speaker 3: What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: Well, I that's fine, right, But a decision has been you can make a decision to stay single and date folks if you want to to find three people, three women that you happen to be dating at the same time, all who are on board with this seems wild to me. I don't think there's a high percentage of women who would say sure to something like this. So how he pulled that off is of interest.
Speaker 2: So okay, So he described it because Sherry Shepherd had a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: She was great.
Speaker 2: We love Sherry she asked all the right questions. She asked all the questions that I was thinking as I was watching this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he was dating free women as people do when they're single. They have their dating different folks.
Speaker 2: And he explained that one of the three women he had been dating longer than the others, enough so that he actually decided to go to her first with this concept, this polyamorous concept. And he said this is this is his verbatim. I basically went to her and said, listen, you know I rock with you. You know I love you, but I have to be honest with you. It's not just you. I would love for you to meet these other women and if we can figure out a way to do something together, cool. If not, that's cool too.
Speaker 1: Take it or leave it. Yeah, and they decided to take it.
Speaker 3: So that's what he said.
Speaker 2: He said he let each woman decide if they wanted to proceed together. His quote, everybody chose to stick around. The main understanding is I'm not in three relationships. I'm in one relationship with three people. And the women were all on board with that concept.
Speaker 1: If it works for them. I'm fascinated, I am curious. I have questions, I have all this stuff. But if something works for them, it works for them. We've just been around long enough to know to see. And it's sometimes experience. It's folks lives and what they're going through and how they're going through, how they choose to go through, and what they can tolerate, and what they want and what fulfills. It's all different, and if this works, knock yourself out.
Speaker 2: The older I get, the more experience I've had in life, the less judgmental I've become, period when it comes to relationships. Look, when I was younger, I absolutely believed things I was. I had a very different approach to what I thought was the right thing or the wrong thing, what should happen, what shouldn't happen. And once you live enough life you realize what works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else. And who are you to impose that on someone else. No one's being hurt in this. Everyone is a consenting adult. Everyone has made the decision. And I think there is at least some I.
Speaker 3: Think not some. I think there's a lot to say about being honest.
Speaker 2: If you know you're not going to be monogamous, if you know that you're not going to be okay or satisfied with just one person.
Speaker 3: It's far better to be honest about.
Speaker 2: It than to try and pretend that you're or even convince yourself that you're going to do something different.
Speaker 1: But someone who would come these conversations, whether it's a man or a woman. At some point you have a conversation with someone and say, hey, I'm seeing other people, I'm dating someone else. Yeah, maybe we should all form a group. Is not usually the next thing.
Speaker 2: I mean here, look, I say all that, if you came to me with that bit of information, or anyone I was dating came to me with that information, I.
Speaker 3: Know very quickly that I would be like you do you I'm out? I mean, obviously hear.
Speaker 1: Me out, never be just hear me out. It's all I ask.
Speaker 2: And I would hear you out, and then I would say, that's so cool for you, But I want nothing to do with it. There's zero chance, no, there's zero chance that I could handle that from It's just not what I want.
Speaker 1: It's not what I want, and it's probably not what most people want. But if that's what he wants, if that if it's what they want, fine, do you know the ages of the women.
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't. I know he's forty six. I could probably find that out after the break. But he makes a very point, big point to say, we it's about communication. We figure out ways to make everything work. He said, each of his women gets their individual time, even though group time is just as important. He was talking about being on tour and he was like, you know, one woman will come out for seven days, then the next woman will come out, then the next woman will come out, and then the next week I'll have all of them come out together. But I just I'm just thinking, like if you want on those group dates, like what is that? Like?
Speaker 3: Who is he sitting next to? Who's is he holding everybody's hands?
Speaker 1: Main girl? That's a main one. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, there was the original, the og, but I don't know that she has any more. Look, when we hear some Mormon we've talked to some folks who've had polygamy or have been in polygamy situations, and they do say the original wife usually has like the authority or has a little bit of higher name.
Speaker 1: What do they call it's something?
Speaker 3: Is it first wife? Original wife?
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm not embarrassed that I don't know, I'm not really well first in this, but the way he described it, he didn't seem as though one woman even he did mention obviously the original girlfriend or the woman he had been dating the longest, he did go to her first a little bit.
Speaker 1: How does this work with the time? Do they all get equal time? How does he givie? Did he explain the schedule?
Speaker 2: Well, he gave just an like an example of going out on tour and having having everyone having their own week.
Speaker 1: So it's very important about the sleeping arrangements.
Speaker 3: I didn't get that. I just know I didn't get.
Speaker 2: So it's I'm looking for their exact age is actually right now. One of them, they said, was thirty one. But they don't know a lot about these women. Yeah, so they are grown women, Oh for sure. They're not like, you know, barely of age. No, these are women who are old enough to make decisions and have lived enough life.
Speaker 3: And you see the pictures of them, they're not some young.
Speaker 1: But they're all under one roof, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from what I understand, they all go out together, they all hang out together. They share an Alaskan king.
Speaker 3: Bed together four.
Speaker 2: That is at least a part of their relationship that they share an Alaskan king bed. What's in Alaskin bed versus a calib I know what a California king bed is? Is an Alaskan king bed even bigger than a I've never California. E News is saying that they share an Alaskan king sized bed.
Speaker 3: In his house.
Speaker 1: The massive square mattress.
Speaker 2: It's like two California Kings next to each other. This is what Neo has explained. You have to get the mattress made, like you have to get a custom mattress made.
Speaker 1: I guess you would.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's hard enough sleeping next to one person. I think for all the different reasons. Why because we all have our own interests, so or what makes us sleep better and what wakes us up?
Speaker 1: Y'd?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine four people in one bed?
Speaker 1: See? This is where people This is where people get fascinated by the questions and the debates and poking a little fun and all these things that a couple one on one has issues with. Who's gonna cook tonight, who's taking out the trash, what is the temperature when we go to bed at night? The sheets, all these things. How do you divide out about three are women, who are you snuggling with? Who spoons? Whom? Are you all all spooning one direction and then you all turn and spoon the other direction? Is he in the middle? Who gets the remote? How does this work?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Someone doesn't get a bedside table or two people don't like That's a tough situation.
Speaker 1: You would also ask Robes about their sexual relationship. Is this is he always one on one or this is just something that they all participate.
Speaker 3: In that I don't know.
Speaker 1: Those are questions not you're fascinated by this.
Speaker 3: We need to have Neo on the show.
Speaker 2: We need to see if we can get him on and get in to all of these very important questions that we need to know now when we come back, I can tell you this. When he talked to Sherry Shepherd, she asked, how do you handle holidays like Valentine's Day? And how about this question? What are the rules for the women? Can they date other people? And welcome back everyone. We continue our conversation about the fascinating polyamorous relationship that Neo has because it's one relationship, but it's three women, and he talked about it at length with Sherry Shepard. This week and I couldn't get enough. We have so many follow ups that we would like to ask Neo. But here's what we did find out. How do you handle a holiday like Valentine's Day?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So he said his big point is he doesn't do blanket stuff like everybody gets red roses or everybody gets chocolates. He gives individual gifts for each woman based on what they like, so that everyone feels special on the day. And he makes a point there are no group gifts. There are no everyone gets that one on one attention when it comes to the actual holiday or gift giving situation. But I imagine on the holiday itself. He I mean, he's gonna have to just one day, so I guess that's.
Speaker 3: A group date.
Speaker 2: But they talk, You talk about how group time is very important. That seems like a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It is. It is a lot of war. One relationship is difficult. I just I can't imagine managing because they're human beings, they're women, and they're just no matter what you agree to. That's three personalities, three people who need something right, they need some type of human interaction. And now are the women do they support each other? Are they all good friends, spend a lot of time.
Speaker 2: Again, Yep, he said that's a huge part of it. That they have to be that that's key to making it work. And that does make a lot of sense. Obviously, you could not have jealousy or any sort of issue going on among the women, or at least between two of the women, because that would ruin.
Speaker 1: Every What about chores, household responsibilities of people? Is it divided up? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they all kind of do their thing.
Speaker 2: He just talked about how they make it work, that they all talk to one another. Big question, what are the rules for the women? Can they date others? So Sherry asked him directly, Neo, can your girlfriends date other men? He quickly, and it was described as curtly, replied no, no.
Speaker 3: And here was his exact quote.
Speaker 2: I've made no request for exclusivity of any of these women. I didn't ask for them to be with me. They said they want to be with me. They gave me their exclusivity, meaning if you give it to me, it's mine. I deal with partnership as opposed to ownership. But if the exclusivity is mine, it's mine.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: You should have led with that.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna say I'm possessive, but I'm possessive.
Speaker 1: Oh he's not. He accepted what was given to him.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what he said, and I took it. I didn't demand it. I didn't say they had to. But once they gave it to me, now it's mine.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like Machado and the Nobel Prize to drum An asked for it, but you know, what, the hell with it. I'll take it, I mean, and so it's his now.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you're right. That is a pretty uh. But here's the deal.
Speaker 2: We hear about polyamorous relationships, you know, often enough, and people talk about it more now than they ever have before. But have you ever heard of anything like this in reverse where.
Speaker 1: A woman has It's probably going to be an episode of this next Season's all fair.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would feel like someone would end.
Speaker 1: Up dead a woman that we are. This is the best answer I have. That's just not how things work, That's all I got.
Speaker 2: No man would be willing to share his woman with another man?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: And why are women willing to share their man with another one?
Speaker 1: This is rare? This? Come on, this is rare. This is. I don't think you find it. I don't. I don't know a lot of women in my life that are willing to do that. But no, I'm trying to think of some trying to put some woman in this category, some hip hop singer or some R and B singer who who could have.
Speaker 3: Men like Madonna or like back in the day. But still I don't think. I don't think it would work. There's two men would not live in the same house.
Speaker 1: That was a good call. Madonna could pull it off. Damn, that's a good call.
Speaker 3: That was the only person I could think of all possibly do it. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: And by the way, and this kind of sums up where he is when he first came out publicly, I should just say on social media and that was when he had his four girls at one point and he just said, say something nice or move on with your life.
Speaker 3: We happy over here. And so that's just kind of how he basically summed it up. We're happy. What are y'all talking about?
Speaker 1: Good for you, you know what.
Speaker 2: I would like to stay up on this though, And so he was from four to three three, but he still has the original three. I would loved it like a year from now, still still good. Like I am so.
Speaker 1: Curious, it'd be down to two or maybe up to six. Yeah. No, and I love this brother. Uh yeah. Have I told you the Neo story? The night out with Neo?
Speaker 3: Wait, you might have a little Can you refresh my memory?
Speaker 1: It started at Pots and Oe in Midtown, Yes, and I was with Chuck and the three of us and we ended up out and I ended up leaving a club scared that night partying with Neo. I ran out of a VIP that gets me out of here.
Speaker 3: What was so scary?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you when we get over.
Speaker 3: Okay, because you knew I was gonna ask.
Speaker 1: But yes, I have always we're all a fan of his music. This is out of left field, you know. I hated to see what he went through because I was. We were in Atlanta at the same time, and we went through with his wife.
Speaker 3: The ugly divorce.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he had three kids with her, and I believe two kids with two other women.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean that that gets complicated.
Speaker 1: But if he's figured something out, then good for more power to him. But yes, I want to follow up. I'm curious about all types of relationships. What was the one the mixed orientation couple.
Speaker 3: You remember that they just had a baby.
Speaker 1: See, that's fascinating. We've got to follow up with him. So the point being love looks all kinds of ways and that's okay, and be curious instead of judgmental. Can't we do that first?
Speaker 2: Yes? And you know what, We've got our love story series that we're going to try to put together again for this Valentine's Day season where we talked to couples from all different walks of life, different age gaps, different religious We try to get them like old, young, long, new, all of that. But we should at some point try to get Neo and his girls on the show.
Speaker 1: We need to get some more microphones. All right, folks, this was a fun one today kind of and a fascinating one. Hope wherever you are right now, you are having a good weekend, and we'll continue to hop on as news or our moods dictate. But for my dear Amy Robot, I'm t J. Holmes. We'll talk to y'll soon, right,